PDA

View Full Version : A quick performance-improving note

jjk7288
March 30th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I recently posted a thread on how my 8800GTX gets beat pretty hard by World of Warcraft in WINE, but I've noticed that updating drivers (via Envy) instead of using the one's provided by Ubuntu's Restricted Driver Manager seems to improve performance quite a bit, as well as fixing various graphical glitches.

Anyone who has not done so, I'd strongly recommend downloading Envy (http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html) to update your drivers. It worked well for me.

el_ricardo
March 30th, 2008, 02:16 AM
yeah, envy's a nice little program, get's the very latest proprietary drivers from the nvidia website, automates the .run file complete with dependencies, much better than what's available via apt-get. There are only 2 problems with it, one being that you have to make sure you uninstall the drivers via envy before you do a kernel upgrade (I've forgotten to do this several times now). The other being that it's terrible at sorting out ATI drivers, which was annoying to find out when I just got a new gfx card (ATI).

Melhisedek
March 31st, 2008, 03:25 PM
What are the latest Nvidia drivers supported by Envy?

jjk7288
April 1st, 2008, 04:07 AM
It downloads the latest ones from nvidia during install.

Sockerdrickan
April 1st, 2008, 01:32 PM
I always install them manually, I hate dependencies.

jjk7288
April 1st, 2008, 08:51 PM
I always install them manually, I hate dependencies.

The Nvidia installer seems straightforward enough, but I've always borked my X Windows when using it.