PDA

View Full Version : Coming back to Ubuntu via Wine

thaddeusthudpucker
March 26th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I will be installing an Ubuntu Hardy Heron partition on my current machine when it comes out. I have a pentium 4 2.4 Ghz rocessor, 1 gb of ram, Nvidia FX4000 card with 128Mb ram.

There area few windows apps I would like to run under wine, the biggest heavy hitters of which are Microsoft train simulator, Adobe Audition 1.5, and Corel PSP 11. There are a few more, but I don't believe they will give me any grief.

Basically what I want to know is if there are any snags to look out for (I will read the tutorials when the time is closer), especially with MSTS. That is the most important of the three, but i would like to be able to keep all three.

I ran Adobe Audition under wine about a year ago, but it would only work as long as I didn't restart the machine. Once I restarted the machine, it would stop working.

So, thanks in advance for any pointers anybody might have!

kyphi
March 26th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Of the programmes written for Windows that I could not do without, two run in CrossOver Linux and the other runs in VirtualBox (XP installed in VirtualBox as a guest of Ubuntu). The latter is Ulead PhotoImpact (now owned by Corel and sold under a different name).

Check out Innotek VirtualBox and Codeweavers CrossOver Linux.

iSplicer
March 26th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I would strongly recommend you use a virtual machine under linux when you run those programs.Wine is extremely unstable and only works in a small amount of situations.

I suggest you try Virtualbox, or vmware server