PDA

View Full Version : Development (Hardy) sub-forum = wild west?

bluej774
March 24th, 2008, 10:03 PM
This is a question for the staffers/mods. I ask it here because they seem to hang out here.

Why is it that the Development (Hardy) sub-forum doesn't get as zealously policed by the staffers/mods as the Community Cafe sub-forum does. I've seen lots of discussions get out of hand quickly and people being generally rude and ill-mannered at the Hardy board without any warnings or infractions, much less thread closure. Meanwhile, I've seen people get staffer/mod attention for less around here. So, why is Development (Hardy) the wild west of these forums?

Is it just that people are trigger happy with the "Report" button around these parts or what? I don't hit the report button for "bad attitudes" around here because I don't like being a tattle tale. I'm man enough not to let my feelings get hurt for every little thing. Also, if I was report button happy, I'd be spending too much time reporting staffers/mods. ;) If I'm going to hit that button, the person would have had to have done something extremely wrong like posting harmful commands in a misleading way or linking to really super-inappropriate material.

23meg
March 24th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Why is it that the Development (Hardy) sub-forum doesn't get as zealously policed by the staffers/mods as the Community Cafe sub-forum does.

It's not moderated any more tightly or loosely. Your impression probably has to do with this specific period in which the forum got flooded by many new post-beta testers.

I've seen lots of discussions get out of hand quickly and people being generally rude and ill-mannered at the Hardy board

Report them.

Lord Illidan
March 24th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

As 23meg rightly said, we can't be everywhere in one place. People report posts, we respond to them. If you think that a person is violating the Code of Conduct, report him/her.

bluej774
March 24th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Report them.

I don't believe in reporting that type of behavior. I've come to expect it. I think of the Ubuntu forums as an extension of the real world. I feel this way because, if I could, I'd interact with the people here in the real world and not on these forums. Unfortunately, I'm unable to do that since everyone is so spread out and because I have other things to do in my life and couldn't just stand around gabbing all day. Anyway, in the real world, people are sometimes rude and hurtful and don't understand any better way to get their message across. But, if I'm offended by something someone says in the real world, there's no police I can go to to report it. Nor should there be. That's called censorship.

I expect the same here. Those rude people out in the world are the same rude people found here. Reporting that type of behavior is just silly and juvenile.

Also, if you read between the lines of my original post, I wasn't complaining about the behavior of the members in the Development (Hardy) sub-forum. ;)

LaRoza
March 24th, 2008, 10:23 PM
We don't police any part of the forum except the reports forum (reports are threads in a forum that is dedicated to them)

No one can tell, and if you feel something should be watched, but don't want to single anyone out, just report your post or the original post and ask the thread to be reviewed.

It is helpful to get reports like:

This thread seems to be going downhill, could you review it?

LaRoza
March 24th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I don't believe in reporting that type of behavior. I've come to expect it. I think of the Ubuntu forums as an extension of the real world. I feel this way because, if I could, I'd interact with the people here in the real world and not on these forums. Unfortunately, I'm unable to do that since everyone is so spread out and because I have other things to do in my life and couldn't just stand around gabbing all day. Anyway, in the real world, people are sometimes rude and hurtful and don't understand any better way to get their message across. But, if I'm offended by something someone says in the real world, there's no police I can go to to report it. Nor should there be. That's called censorship.

I expect the same here. Those rude people out in the world are the same rude people found here. Reporting that type of behavior is just silly and juvenile.

Also, if you read between the lines of my original post, I wasn't complaining about the behavior of the members in the Development (Hardy) sub-forum. ;)
This isn't the real world (I am really not the Borg Queen). This is meant to be a friendly place for communication. Think of it as reporting harrassment at work, or rude behavior of a cashier.

Reports can be for anything that you want the staff to know about. Even I report threads!

For non report related actions, we would have to see it on our own. We all have preferences of the forum. I don't know if any of us are often in that forum. I am in the Programming Talk, Cafe, Backyard, Forum Feedback and Help, ABT and GH most of the time.

bluej774
March 24th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Think of it as reporting harrassment at work, or rude behavior of a cashier.

I think that reporting the rude behavior of a cashier is silly and juvenile as well. Get over it. He/she didn't hurt you in any real or lasting way.

I think it's time we all take a step back and look objectively at ourselves. Please see this link (http://www.ncsu.edu/csleps/leadership/Resource%20-%20Assertiveness.htm). It's about assertiveness. Part of that is the ownership of your feelings. Nobody can "make you" mad or sad. People can only commit actions that cause you to feel that way. The way you react to other people's actions is totally up to you.

Express thoughts, feelings, and opinions reflecting ownership

• “He makes me angry.” (denies ownership of feelings)

• “I get angry when he breaks his promises.” (assertive and owns feelings)

p_quarles
March 24th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Threads and posts come to the attention of moderators via the report feature. If you don't like using it, you are not required to. However, you have no reason to expect that inappropriate posts will come to the attention of the staff if you don't.

To wit: I don't understand your question.

LaRoza
March 24th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I think that reporting the rude behavior of a cashier is silly and juvenile as well. Get over it. He/she didn't hurt you in any real or lasting way.

I think it's time we all take a step back and look objectively at ourselves. Please see this link (http://www.ncsu.edu/csleps/leadership/Resource%20-%20Assertiveness.htm). It's about assertiveness. Part of that is the ownership of your feelings. Nobody can "make you" mad or sad. People can only commit actions that cause you to feel that way. The way you react to other people's actions is totally up to you.

If you are not willing to report (complain), why are you doing it here?

If a cashier makes a transaction difficult, they are harming the complany, you and themselves. I have known people who didn't/won't buy things from certain store because of the staff, I am sure management would want to know about that.

It has nothing to do with being mad. It has to do with the goal of this forum to provide a way of gettng tech support (and being a friendly community). If this goal (tech support) is somehow jeopardised, it is important for staff to know.

We are just regular members really. It seems from the posts that you expect us to patrol and take care of problems. At this moment, I am am in the middle (possibly the end) of a discussion in the backyard. I check the reports and this forum in between posting.

bluej774
March 24th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Also, if you read between the lines of my original post, I wasn't complaining about the behavior of the members in the Development (Hardy) sub-forum. ;).

LaRoza
March 24th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Why is it that the Development (Hardy) sub-forum doesn't get as zealously policed by the staffers/mods as the Community Cafe sub-forum does.

Also, if you read between the lines of my original post, I wasn't complaining about the behavior of the members in the Development (Hardy) sub-forum.

You are complaining about the staff not policing the forum.

We don't do that in any forum.

We respond to reports, and we deal with things we happen to see. If we are not frequent readers/posters in a particular forum, we don't see it.

There are more forums than staff, and it is possible that one doesn't have a frequent mod.

Lord Illidan
March 24th, 2008, 10:47 PM
If you think a moderator is overstepping his/her limits, then report him/her.

We're not the police. We're just normal members who were appointed to help out in the management of the forums. We're not perfect, and we're not meant to be.

p_quarles
March 24th, 2008, 10:50 PM
You're complaining about inconsistency, though. If you want consistency, you are welcome to help out. If, on the other hand, you believe that staff members should not take action when we are alerted to something that violates the forum rules, you will find yourself disappointed. That's not going to happen.

23meg
March 24th, 2008, 11:37 PM
There are more forums than staff, and it is possible that one doesn't have a frequent mod.

Actually, the forum in question has one dedicated non-staff moderator (me) who frequently visits it and moderates it when necessary. But it's very rarely necessary, and as someone who watches it closely I find the assertion that the forum is the "wild west" of the site completely unwarranted. If the OP can cite proof to support it, and it's suitable to do so, I'd like to see it, but then they should be reporting it in the first place, and they refuse to, and we go in circles.

LaRoza
March 24th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Actually, the forum in question has one dedicated non-staff moderator (me) who frequently visits it and moderates it when necessary. But it's very rarely necessary, and as someone who watches it closely I find the assertion that the forum is the "wild west" of the site completely unwarranted. If the OP can cite proof to support it, and it's suitable to do so, I'd like to see it, but then they should be reporting it in the first place, and they refuse to, and we go in circles.

Oh, well in that case you know more about this more than I. Wouldn't you be considered staff? http://ubuntuforums.org/showgroups.php

@OP Do you have an real complaints? Please give evidence. Saying something is wrong, and refusing to show us what is not going to get anything done.

23meg
March 24th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Wouldn't you be considered staff?

No, per-forum moderators aren't. The only difference is that they don't have access to the staff area.

LaRoza
March 24th, 2008, 11:47 PM
No, per-forum moderators aren't. The only difference is that they don't have access to the staff area.

You are better off. :-)

bluej774
March 25th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I apologize and retract any and all statements I've made in this thread. Feel free to close it or not. Anyway, I'm jumping ship on this thread. I'm through with arguing with staffers/mods.

LaRoza
March 25th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I apologize and retract any and all statements I've made in this thread. Feel free to close it or not. Anyway, I'm jumping ship on this thread. I'm through with arguing with staffers/mods.

We are happy to hear about problems so we can fix them, but vague accusations aren't helpful.

I will spend some time in the Hardy forum, if that is what you want. I am using it (with zero problems) so maybe I will learn something.