PDA

View Full Version : Test internet connection existence

Mlehliw
March 21st, 2008, 11:00 PM
I'm looking for a standard way to test the existance of an internet connection under Linux. Is anyone aware of any standard methods?

t3hi3x
March 22nd, 2008, 01:16 AM
You could always ping a website like google.

LaRoza
March 22nd, 2008, 01:33 AM
Usually, I just ping a site. Actually, I use google because it is always there.

Mlehliw
March 22nd, 2008, 04:49 AM
Yea, I guess that's an option. I was wondering because I want to pop up a dialog if an internet connection isn't detected.

LaRoza
March 22nd, 2008, 04:58 AM
Yea, I guess that's an option. I was wondering because I want to pop up a dialog if an internet connection isn't detected.

I wrote a program that did exactly that. I'll go look for it.

LaRoza
March 22nd, 2008, 05:06 AM
Better solution in Bash (the old program was for Windows)

#! /bin/bash

main()
{
ping -c 64.233.169.103 > /dev/null
if [ "$?" -eq 0 ]
then
zenity --info --text "Internet Lost";
else
sleep 30
main
fi
}

main

You can tweak this to your liking. It pings google, and if it fails, it will give a popup notifying you, if it suceeds, it waits 30 seconds and does it again.

alex_o
December 31st, 2009, 02:28 PM
Better solution in Bash (the old program was for Windows)

#! /bin/bash

main()
{
ping -c 64.233.169.103 > /dev/null
if [ "$?" -eq 0 ]
then
else
sleep 30
main
fi
}

main

You can tweak this to your liking. It pings google, and if it fails, it will give a popup notifying you, if it suceeds, it waits 30 seconds and does it again.

actually the line ping -c 64.233.169.103

gives you the usage because you need to specify the limit of pings to the -c flag ie:
ping -c 1 64.233.169.103

so in total it should look like:

#! /bin/bash

main()
{
if ping -c 1 64.233.169.103 > /dev/null;then
else
sleep 30
main
fi
}

main

fax8
June 12th, 2010, 06:09 PM
@alex_o (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=805208) actually your code above does alert the user when the connection is working! The instructions in the if and else statements should be switched.

Fabio Varesano

rnerwein
June 14th, 2010, 07:38 PM
hi
you have to use: netstat -punt | grep -i VERBUNDEN ( in english i think it is CONNECTED ) in a selfmade script.
and then, if $? is zero --> do your stuff ( 0 == VERBUNDEN || CONNECTED - depends on your language)
--> -punt will give you the name and the process-id of the process.
ciao

Zugzwang
June 14th, 2010, 07:47 PM
you have to use: netstat -punt | grep -i

Uuuh, I don't think that this is a good idea. First of all, even if there is a connection, if there is no process at the point of time of checking this, you will receive a false negative. Then, intranet connections are also taken into account. Finally, there are pay-per-use internet connection providers which simply reroute all port-80 traffic through the connection to their payment site and block all other connections until you have bought some connectivity. Here, you get a false positive with your approach.

Finally, for getting rid of the language problem, you can always set "LANG=C" before calling the tool to make sure that the result is in english: "LANG=C netstat -punt"

rnerwein
June 14th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Uuuh, I don't think that this is a good idea. First of all, even if there is a connection, if there is no process at the point of time of checking this, you will receive a false negative. Then, intranet connections are also taken into account. Finally, there are pay-per-use internet connection providers which simply reroute all port-80 traffic through the connection to their payment site and block all other connections until you have bought some connectivity. Here, you get a false positive with your approach.

Finally, for getting rid of the language problem, you can always set "LANG=C" before calling the tool to make sure that the result is in english: "LANG=C netstat -punt"
hi
sorry
first of all ---> linux ( i bet you have never heard about tannenbaum ) is not a standard of internet - the roots are comes from ARPANET ( 1969 uuuuups -- the answer www.google.xxx (http://www.google.xxx))
sooooooory - i ain't read this post correct - excuse me
ciao

Zugzwang
June 15th, 2010, 11:35 AM
first of all ---> linux ( i bet you have never heard about tannenbaum ) is not a standard of internet - the roots are

Actually, I've read enough of the Tanenbaum book to know that his name is not "Tannenbaum". Also, it is non-obvious how your statement that I quoted above relates to the rest of this (necromanced) thread.