PDA

View Full Version : SNMP Agent

neugen
March 21st, 2008, 04:21 PM
Hi guys ! I would like to write in C a SNMP agent.Can anyone help me please by supplying some web links about snmp programming ?
Thank you !

supirman
March 21st, 2008, 11:04 PM
You'll need to use the net-snmp library. They have some tutorials on their site (http://www.net-snmp.org/wiki/index.php/Tutorials). Near the bottom is a section for snmp agent coding tutorials.

schmendrick
September 25th, 2008, 12:01 PM
can anyone recommend a good book on SNMP for developers?

i am a bit indecisive on which to take...

my aim is to write an SNMP agent for the project i am doing at work, and most books seem to be written for network administrators.

some more info:
the agent i will write is in c++. basically i do not plan to use use net-snmp. at the moment i am thinking of using Agent++.

dwhitney67
September 25th, 2008, 12:55 PM
at the moment i am thinking of using Agent++.
You are on the right track!

If your company needs help, send me a PM.

schmendrick
October 2nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
thanks dwhitney67, but if i recommend the company to get external help they will ask why they need me ;)

and agent++ seems really cool. without any real knowledge and about 40 lines of code i was able to create an agent with 2 dynamically changeable properties that can be read in an snmp manager.

as for the book, for anyone interested i now decided on

"Understanding SNMP MIBs" by "David T. Perkins".

after much search on the net.

unfortunately like i already said, the books out there are mostly for network administrators, but that book also seems fine for my needs as an agent writer.

dwhitney67
October 2nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
thanks dwhitney67, but if i recommend the company to get external help they will ask why they need me ;)

and agent++ seems really cool. without any real knowledge and about 40 lines of code i was able to create an agent with 2 dynamically changeable properties that can be read in an snmp manager.

as for the book, for anyone interested i now decided on

"Understanding SNMP MIBs" by "David T. Perkins".

after much search on the net.

unfortunately like i already said, the books out there are mostly for network administrators, but that book also seems fine for my needs as an agent writer.

Maybe you "contacted" a different group than I did. Agent++, if memory serves me right, was developed by HP, and is free (GPL or whatever nonsense). Their site is here (http://www.agentpp.com/).

One of my colleagues at the time, improved on the Agent++ design, but that was back in 1999. Presumably the design has changed since then.

The HP effort is a sound design, thus obviating the need for individuals to redesign something new. SNMP is not that difficult, but its acceptance in technological "toys" has been. This it is not widely used. One area of usage is in Network Operation Centers (NOCs), which are used to managed one ore more satellite systems.

schmendrick
October 3rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
Maybe you "contacted" a different group than I did. Agent++, if memory serves me right, was developed by HP, and is free (GPL or whatever nonsense). Their site is here (http://www.agentpp.com/).

not quite. SNMP++ was created by HP, while Agent++ is based upon the SNMP++ library, it is not done by HP. To use Agent++ you will need SNMP++ though.