PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok that I link to my own website

cj2003
March 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I've answered a couple of posts in here by linking to my website (typically to guides/how-to's, as I post links to them on my site Ubuntu-news), and am a bit afraid that it might be seen as spam/marketing/too much advertiment for my site.

Looking at the "Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct", it says

"If a post or thread contains spam (unsolicited advertising) it will be moved to the forum jail and the poster may be banned. Active users in good standing are allowed to have links to personal sites in their signatures, in their profile, and may post them in threads on occasion (just not often, please) as long as the content of those links does not include abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated material or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. "

"If the users' question has been covered in one of the community documents, please give them a description and the links. Some useful sites to point green users are: wiki.ubuntu.com, www.ubuntu.com, the forum HOWTOs, and doc.gwos.org. You can also show the user how to search the forums or tell them about the forum search utility. If you wish to remind a user to use search tools or other resources when they have asked a question you feel is basic or common, please be very polite. Any replies for help that contain language disrespectful towards the user asking the question, i.e. "STFU" or "RTFM" are unacceptable and will not be tolerated. "

Key thing is that most of the articles on my site links to the actual guide/howto, but it is a LOT easier for me to find it at my site and just link to that.

What are your thoughts/comments on this?

louieb
March 19th, 2008, 10:51 AM
:guitar:A lot of members of this forum do. 3 out of the 4 links in my signature are to sites created by members of this forum.

PmDematagoda
March 19th, 2008, 10:54 AM
This thread has been moved to the Forum Feedback & Help section.

hyper_ch
March 19th, 2008, 11:10 AM
if the links contain information that belongs to the actual topic I don't why why not...

And you are also allowed to link to a site in your profile... just when you start posting with no relevenant information just to get your as many backlinks as possible then it's spamming and will be punished by the mods/admins...

az
March 19th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Looking at the "Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct", it says

"If the users' question has been covered in one of the community documents, please give them a description and the links.

As far as I am concerned, if your site contains useful information and is there for the purpose of providing support/documentation/advocacy for Ubuntu, then it is one of the community documents.

I feel that the community documentation is defined by its content rather than whether it is deemed official unofficial... By definition, it's written by the community and is used by the community.

Artificial Intelligence
March 19th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Usually linux/IT related links is ok.

Links that promote/sell/trick or any other agenda is not allowed.