PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Including Libraries and Dependencies

brady.k
March 15th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Hi everyone,

This is my first time using nonstandard libraries, so excuse the question for being stupid.

"main.cpp" contains
#include <libxml++>
"Makefile" contains

userGrab.ose: main.cpp
g++ -o userGrab.ose main.cpp

If I comment out the libxml++ includes, it compiles my "hello world". After digging into the manual (http://libxmlplusplus.sourceforge.net/docs/manual/html/index.html#id2472502), I found that it said to run
pkg-config libxml++-2.6 --cflags --libs
which output

-I/usr/include/libxml++-2.6 -I/usr/lib/libxml++-2.6/include -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/glibmm-2.4 -I/usr/lib/glibmm-2.4/include -I/usr/include/sigc++-2.0 -I/usr/lib/sigc++-2.0/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -lxml++-2.6 -lxml2 -lglibmm-2.4 -lgobject-2.0 -lsigc-2.0 -lglib-2.0

But after attaching it to my g++ command in the Makefile

g++ -o userGrab.ose main.cpp -I/usr/include/libxml++-2.6 -I/usr/lib/libxml++-2.6/include -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/glibmm-2.4 -I/usr/lib/glibmm-2.4/include -I/usr/include/sigc++-2.0 -I/usr/lib/sigc++-2.0/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -lxml++-2.6 -lxml2 -lglibmm-2.4 -lgobject-2.0 -lsigc-2.0 -lglib-2.0

I get an error of

main.cpp:2:20: error: libxml++: No such file or directory
make: *** [userGrab.ose] Error 1

How do I fix this?

Thanks

WW
March 15th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Take another looks at the docs (http://libxmlplusplus.sourceforge.net/docs/manual/html/ar01s02.html). Your include statement should be

#include <libxml++/libxml++.h>

By the way, instead of copying the output of the pkg-config command into your Makefile, you can set it up so that the Makefile runs pkg-config on its own.
For example, something like this:

g++ main.cpp $(pkg-config --libs --cflags libxml++-2.6) -o userGrab.ose

brady.k
March 15th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Great. Except that when I do that (run pkg-config in the Makefile and change the #include), it returns:

main.cpp:2:31: error: libxml++/libxml++.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [userGrab.ose] Error 1

Thanks

WW
March 15th, 2008, 04:04 AM
That's strange. If you installed the package libxml++2.6-dev (and I assume that you did, since the pkg-config command for the library apparently works), the headers should be in /usr/include/libxml++-2.6/libxml++, and the pkg-config command is giving the option -I/usr/include/libxml++-2.6, so I don't see why the compiler doesn't find the header. Can you check that the directory /usr/include/libxml++-2.6/libxml++ exists, and contains the files shown here (http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/amd64/libxml++2.6-dev/filelist)?

brady.k
March 15th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I *did* install dev, and I have all the files. I pulled an ls -Rl and they were all there.

...am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks again

WW
March 17th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Sorry, I don't see any obvious source of the problem. I installed the library, and compiled a trivial example, as you can see here:

$ pkg-config --cflags libxml++-2.6
-I/usr/include/libxml++-2.6 -I/usr/lib/libxml++-2.6/include -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/glibmm-2.4 -I/usr/lib/glibmm-2.4/include -I/usr/include/sigc++-2.0 -I/usr/lib/sigc++-2.0/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include
$ pkg-config --libs libxml++-2.6
-lxml++-2.6 -lxml2 -lglibmm-2.4 -lgobject-2.0 -lsigc-2.0 -lglib-2.0
$ ls
xmltest.cpp
$ cat xmltest.cpp
#include <libxml++/libxml++.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
return(0);
}

$ g++ -c xmltest.cpp $(pkg-config --cflags libxml++-2.6) # Compile only, don't link
$ ls
xmltest.cpp xmltest.o
$

Can you successfully compile a trivial file like the one above?

brady.k
March 17th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Interesting.

I can compile the code, more or less the same as yours, if I do it by command line. But running the exact same command in my Makefile still returns the same error.

Exact same command.

Makefile

dataCrawl.ose: main.cpp
g++ -c main.cpp $(pkg-config --cflags libxml++-2.6) -o dataCrawl.ose

Commandline

g++ -c main.cpp $(pkg-config --cflags libxml++-2.6) -o dataCrawl.ose

WW
March 17th, 2008, 04:38 AM
OK, so it's a question of how much "quoting" or "escaping" that is needed in the Makefile. This worked for me:

Makefile:

xmltest.o: xmltest.cpp
g++ -c xmltest.cpp $$(pkg-config --cflags libxml++-2.6)

(Note the extra $.)

With this file, it works:

$ ls
Makefile xmltest.cpp
$ make
g++ -c xmltest.cpp $(pkg-config --cflags libxml++-2.6)
$ ls
Makefile xmltest.cpp xmltest.o
$

brady.k
March 17th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Wow. That was really it?

Apparently, because it now compiles.

Thanks for all the help, especially for such a "noob" problem!