PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu repository doens't contain _all_ debian sid softwares ?

M@t
December 5th, 2004, 02:16 PM
I would like to install lilypond software (a program for typesetting sheet music). But there is no package for this software in ubuntu hoary repository (I enabled universe and multiverse).

"apt-cache search lilypond" doesn't find anything.

I do not understand why this software is in the unstable repository of Debian and not in hoary. Is there any other package which doesn't appear in hoary and is in Debian sid ? Is this a bug ?

randy
December 5th, 2004, 03:19 PM
I know there's some packages that don't appear in universe because they weren't rebuilt. You can try rebuilding the Sid package from source, that will definitely work.

M@t
December 5th, 2004, 03:28 PM
I added the deb-src line for hoary universe in my sources.list and it worked. Thanks a lot.

Do you know why packages were not all rebuilt ?

jdong
December 5th, 2004, 04:29 PM
A certain snapshotted sid package may have had build errors...

az
December 5th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Warty's Universe was frozen some time ago, too...

Hikaru79
December 9th, 2004, 01:45 PM
In this case, you don't really need it in the repository; lilypond.org offers Debian packages which is really all that the Ubuntu repository is anyway. Go here: http://www.lilypond.org/web/download/#2.4 and download the Sid/Sarge package. Then, in a command line, cd into the directory where you downloaded the .deb file and type:

dpkg -i *packagename*

Assuming you have all the neccesary dependancies, you'll be all set to go once that finishes :)