PDA

View Full Version : dosemu and Borland compilers

ganoderma
March 12th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I have been trying to learn C and C++ , and have found the GNU C and C++ compilers too advanced, although http://www.cprogramming.com/ is very helpful. There are many introductory texts available for Borland and MS compilers that are MS based. I installed Borland's (Turbo C++) TC Lite compiler in dosemu, and it works very well. A copy (TCLite 1.0.1) is available free as a Borland archive - i don't know if that works, as my copy of TCLite was purchased a long time ago. If you download dosemu from the ubuntu respository, freedos comes installed with it, and you can run dosemu as a normal user. (Enter C:\command com at the prompt.) If you download and install dosemu and freedos from their sourceforge sites, you will have to run dosemu as root. Borland's TCLite compiler works well, but I haven't been able to get Borlands Turbo C++ 3.0 compiler for DOS to work in dosemu. I haven't tried substituting MSDOS system files for the freedos system files yet, but I may do that to try to get the 3.0 compiler to work. TCLite does install in dosbox, but I haven't been able to get it to work yet there at all.

Zugzwang
March 12th, 2008, 01:12 PM
[...] but I haven't been able to get Borlands Turbo C++ 3.0 compiler for DOS to work in dosemu. [...]

"It doesn't work" isn't very specific - you could please tell us *what* doesn't work? Any error messages, etc.?

ganoderma
March 24th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Thanks Zugzwand for replying to my post. When I try to execute the Borland C++ 3.0 program (by entering tc.exe) in dosemu 1.4.0, nothing happens, even though the same program with the same setup (same files in same directories) runs without a hitch in dos after leaving Windows 98SE. The Borland setup program said to be sure to have files=20 in config.sys - I have files=40 in the dosemu config.sys, - so I don't think that is a problem, and there is no autoexec.bat file at all when I'm running the program under Windows 98SE dos (7.10). Redirection for my D: drive is deleted, and the notation "The D: drive in dosemu is redirected to my home directory.' I haven't yet tried to substitute msdos.sys and io.sys for the freedos versions.

Any help you might suggest will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Ganoderma

bruce89
March 24th, 2008, 02:40 AM
What's so "advanced" about gcc and g++? Compiling a C program is as simple as

gcc -g -Wall -o prog source.c
-g means "add debugging info", -Wall means "Warn about everything".

Using a DOS program and emulating it seems a bit much.

stevescripts
March 24th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Using a DOS program and emulating it seems a bit much.

+1 ...

for the OP - is your end desire to build DOS programs on Ubuntu?

Using gcc and friends is not as hard as it appears in the beginning.

Steve

ganoderma
March 24th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Yes, it is, and i've used the gcc and g++ compliers, and they're ok, However, I'm trying to learn C and/or C++, and almost all of the texts available to me assume an MSDOS base. When I try to use conio.h, I'm told to use ncurses or one of its derivatives - I don't know what ncurses is, and the explanations on sourceforge and similar places are mystifying. I don't like running windows - I'm running Gutsy as my preferred OS - and I need to understand some of the ins and outs of C /C++ . Yes, I'm able to find some linux files sometimes and am able to get around in linux. i just don't have the books and explanations that I need to understand and use the g++ and/or gcc compliers.

Ganoderma

Wybiral
March 24th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Yes, it is, and i've used the gcc and g++ compliers, and they're ok, However, I'm trying to learn C and/or C++, and almost all of the texts available to me assume an MSDOS base. When I try to use conio.h, I'm told to use ncurses or one of its derivatives - I don't know what ncurses is, and the explanations on sourceforge and similar places are mystifying. I don't like running windows - I'm running Gutsy as my preferred OS - and I need to understand some of the ins and outs of C /C++ . Yes, I'm able to find some linux files sometimes and am able to get around in linux. i just don't have the books and explanations that I need to understand and use the g++ and/or gcc compliers.

Ganoderma

Are you trying to learn C or C++? Whichever one of those, are you trying to learn the language or how to use conio.h? If you're trying to learn the language, then use a tutorial or book that teaches standard C or C++, not some platform specific garbage.

stevescripts
March 24th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I have been sitting here and pondering my next reponse for well over a half-hour.

The C and C++ standards, are not written with different guidance for different platforms. As pointed out by Wybiral, it would be a good idea to focus on one or the other in the beginning.

A *good* programming book/tutorial (especially for those just learning) should contain little to no platform specific code and headers, and will point out differences along the way in the event that they do.

cin and cout, and printf() and scanf() could care less what platform they are going to be built for.

I understand the problem with books and tutorials that are highly MSDOS/Windows oriented, in fact, I ran into the same thing some years back, when I decided to (re)learn programming. (I am *old*, my initial computer programming classes were FORTRAN II - circa 1968...)

You need to learn about types, pointers, data structures and such things, more than you need to learn about system specific function calls and headers. Again, I understand the beginners penchant for wanting to use things like system(pause) and system(cls)... (I may well be forgetting the exact syntax here)

Please understand, we are not trying to be some sort of elitists here. We want to help you focus on learning the language of your choice. (and if you have lurked/searched around here much, you know that many of us would have suggested starting with a higher level language)

You say you like Gutsy, and don't care for windows. Focus on using the programming language to solve problems first, and learn to interact with the OS and user interface later.

Much more on my mind, but getting late here. Again, we don't mean to be discouraging, the Ubuntu community is a very helpful place. (Heck, even the programmers here hardly even flame each other over our differences ;) )

Steve