PDA

View Full Version : Differential behaviour opening pages in user history

Forrest Gumpp
March 10th, 2008, 04:25 AM
When attempting to open additional pages of the user posting history obtainable through the drop-down obtained from clicking the userID on a post, if you are not logged in you get taken to a vBulletin 'no matches' page.

If you are logged in the additional pages open without difficulty.

Is this a feature or a bug?

If it is a feature, what purpose is the behaviour meant to serve?

There would appear to be many reasons why a member might wish to access their own or another's posting history whilst not logged in.

bapoumba
March 10th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Is this from the "Find all posts by.." drop down menu from the UserName (see screenshot) without being logged ?
Without being logged, I can get to the same pages minus the reports (and probably Backyard posts if you have made any, I have not checked). So I see 6 pages without being logged and 7 being logged.

To get older posts, you have to go to the "Advanced Search" menu.

Forrest Gumpp
March 10th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Yes, it is when using that menu option that I get this behaviour.

On an earlier occasion, I seemed to encounter this problem when clicking on the page numbers at the top of the index page, but was able to access pages of earlier posts when I clicked, during the same page viewing, on the page numbers at the bottom the index page.

I am unsure as to whether I was logged-in on that occasion.

When logged-in I am able to access all posts right back to my first on the Forum without resort to the 'Advanced Search' menu.

bapoumba
March 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Yes, it is when using that menu option that I get this behaviour.

On an earlier occasion, I seemed to encounter this problem when clicking on the page numbers at the top of the index page, but was able to access pages of earlier posts when I clicked, during the same page viewing, on the page numbers at the bottom the index page.

I am unsure as to whether I was logged-in on that occasion.
Quite strange. Is it something you see on a regular basis or only from time to time?

When logged-in I am able to access all posts right back to my first on the Forum without resort to the 'Advanced Search' menu.
Depends on how many posts the user has made. For accounts with a high number of posts, or with posts from several years back, it is the only way :)

Forrest Gumpp
March 11th, 2008, 08:19 PM
So far as I am able to tell, this behaviour is random.

Immediately before making this post I again tested these pages. They worked perfectly, both top and bottom page number clickable internal links. I was logged out when I made this test, a fact seemingly confirmed when I clicked the Reply to Thread button and received the message "You are not logged in".

Since logging in to make this post I have tested it again. Same result. So it definitely seems to be random or occasional behaviour.

The only other observation I can make, which may or may not be connected with this behaviour, is that sometimes (mostly) when I get the drop-down menu it contains the option "Add <userID> to your buddy list". Other times it does not. This applies both to my own userID and that of others' IDs clicked by me.

The only reason I mention this is that I have observed that in other situations the number of menu options is determined by whether you are logged-in or not.

Without attempting to post, it seems there is no way of knowing when one is, or becomes, logged-out on the UF. Is there a standard time for which a log-in lasts, and if so does it expire within a certain time after the relevant log-in, or after a given period of inactivity?