PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for moving threads

forrestcupp
March 6th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I have seen a lot of threads that have been moved lately for no apparent reason, especially from the Cafe to the Backyard. One example is the thread that asks who our favorite singer is. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=714004) In that thread, there was really no fighting or controversy. I didn't see anything really inappropriate. But it was moved to the Backyard.

My suggestion is that when a thread is moved, the moderator that moves it should have to make a post within the thread explaining why they moved the thread. It shouldn't be enough for them to just post that it is moved, they should have to explain why. I have seen a lot of other forums that do that. It would be helpful to teach people the correct subforums to post under.

Edit:
I now notice that in the original post the words "love and sex" are in bold print. I guess that is a good reason. But I stand behind my suggestion that it would help us to learn how to post better.

jken146
March 6th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I agree. Even though the mods may be acting under the UF code of conduct and rules for the various forums, it would be more helpful (not to mention courteous) if a short explanation was given each time.

frodon
March 6th, 2008, 04:39 PM
It is what is done already in general however considering the the huge size of the forum and the always increasing number of thread which need to be moved you have to understand that it can't be done systematically.
Although your point is really valid i think real life constraints make this virtually impossible but i agree with you that when it is not an obvious thread moving a posts giving the reasons of the move is helpful and often avoid any understanding or bad feeling.

BTW, the backyard is not for inappropriate content as you seem to think, inappropriate content goes to the jail directly.

forrestcupp
March 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM
BTW, the backyard is not for inappropriate content as you seem to think, inappropriate content goes to the jail directly.

What I meant was content that is inappropriate for the Cafe.

matthew
March 6th, 2008, 05:25 PM
My suggestion is that when a thread is moved, the moderator that moves it should have to make a post within the thread explaining why they moved the thread. It shouldn't be enough for them to just post that it is moved, they should have to explain why. I have seen a lot of other forums that do that. It would be helpful to teach people the correct subforums to post under.That is fair. In general, staff try to do that, but we could do a bit better. I won't go so far as to make it a hard and fast requirement, but most of the time it would be appreciated and we should make good communication a priority.