PDA

View Full Version : Hebrew HOWTO

krada
December 4th, 2004, 08:58 PM
I've just spent a few hours configuring my new Ubuntu.. What a cool distro! :grin:

Well, I've also added a (very unfinished) HOWTO (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HebrewLocalizationHowto) on making Ubuntu Hebrew friendly.
Wrote it as a wiki before noticed there is a forum - where should it be?

David

Yaniv
December 14th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Thanks a lot, it helped me very much.
One thing I didn't quite get - while installing Ubuntu, should I choose the Hebrew locale or the English locale?

Toda Merosh

krada
December 14th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Have no idea. Probably, if you choose hebrew locale while installing you'll don't have to run "dpkg-reconfigure locales" later.

I installed with English locale.

LPA
November 28th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I have installed Ubuntu 6.10 and it is a marvel. However, I cannot get it to write Hebrew! I installed the Hebrew language pack, but nothing ...
In Open Office, the CTL Enabled box is 'grey' - i.e. it isn't installed or available!
Any idea how to fix this?
please reply to: richard@LPAgroup.biz

TIA

Richard

MasterOfMuppets
February 11th, 2007, 07:21 PM
All I wanted from hebrew was the ability to WRITE in hebrew, and I got it :). Thanks David!

CaptainJack
February 12th, 2007, 07:11 AM
nice!

I had this setup before, but it's nice that there's a guide for other users.

Toda!

chikko
February 25th, 2007, 11:28 AM
hey.
first of all, thanks a lot for the manual - really helped me when i first installed Ubuntu 5 months ago.. :)
i woke up this morning intende to make hebrew subtitles work on the system, but still couldn't get it right: i took tehoma from the other coputer's windows system (got no windows on my lap-top) and installed it here. it works, and the hebrew font is working correctly. i made a link as you instructed, straight into the ~/.mplayer directory, and changed the config file accordingly - but still can only see "_____ __ ___" instead of real words.. what could be the problem?..

p.s.
i still own some *.txt documents i made in my windows era, and when i view them - they are in gibrish - even when i pick the tahoma.ttf to be the viewing font.. does it have anything to do with it..? :(

thanks!

sayhar
December 10th, 2007, 07:06 AM
I can write in Hebrew. Great! I'm using a USA standard keyboard, however, so finding the letters I want to type is rather hit and miss. Is there a picture or map somewhere showing which keys correspond to which letters?

yoni_m
February 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
This still works for gusty (you have to hunt around for some the things).

BTW how do you get oo-word to start on the right? and have the full sop (.) on the left?

Thanks a lot for the clear post.

dontfeedthegoat
July 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Does this enable composing Hebrew emails? If so, what email apps work with Hebrew?

ernsttremel
May 14th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Avestan is an old language written from riht to left like Hebrew, Syriac and Arabic.
I want to make a keyboard layout for Avestan and I tghink one couuld modify the Hebrew keyboard to do so.
But I could not yet find this keyboard file.
So I'd be very happy to get an answer. For example the keyboard file for German inputting is a txt-file named "de".
I suppose this Hebrew keyboard file might be located in
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols

2hot6ft2
May 15th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Perhaps this will be of interest to you since it's mostly in Hebrew.
http://ultimateeditionisrael.freeforums.org/index.php
Very helpful webmaster there named Admin-Amir.
:popcorn:
Also
System > Administration > Language Support
System > Preferences > Keyboard

RBarak
January 5th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Easy installing a full language support: Hebrew:
(Ubuntu 10.10)

System --> Administration --> Language Support
then in the next window:
--> Install/Remove Languages...
then in the next window:
--> Hebrew (and here I added everything I could, Translations, Spellchecking and writing aids, Extra fonts)

Now I can type and indent and everything is just as I like it.

Hope I helped.

Reut