PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Fortress under Wine

JGT
February 27th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Hi

I've been using Ubuntu for less than a year and I've found Linux solutions to almost all my needs.

One of the remaining programs is Dwarf Fortress, the legendary Windows game.

I can get it to run and play in Wine, but moving the DF window leads to all kinds of trouble. I can move the window "frame" but it leaves the game contents behind and other windows don't display and refresh properly. I can survive by just leaving other programs alone when I'm playing the game but it isn't practical.

I'm using a Intel GMA 3100 integrated graphics with 1 Gb memory on Ubuntu 7.10.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

John

varangian
February 29th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Can't help you directly but by chance I was reading about DF and thinking about giving it a go so I was interested in your comments. I've used Wine to run other Windows progs but have run into quirks - the display included.

So for DF and similar low intensity (in CPU/graphics terms) games I'm going to try running them in a virtual XP instance and thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't considered this option. I used VirtualBox and so far it's proved stable and not difficult to configure but other decent choices are out there.

JGT
March 2nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks. I've never gone down that route but it;s certainly something I've been planning on for the future.

varangian
March 3rd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Well I've since got round to trying it out and so far as I can see it all works fine. Naturally I'm pretty clueless about DF itself but the problems are ones of my own creation rather than the environment so I can't complain.

JGT
December 26th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Just to note that the problem was solved with Ubuntu 8.10, i.e. Dwarf Fortress runs perfectly under Wine.

There's also now a Linux version! Just download it from www.bay12games.com and run it from the shell script.