PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield Heroes

reed026
February 27th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Hello community!

How would the Ubuntu Community enjoy a game from the DICE Developers that wouldn't have to be ran through Cedega or Wine to play?

What if it was a native linux game, and free at that!?

I am sure if we could band together, we could leave a large footprint on the BF:Heroes blog, showing that we too would like a game that would otherwise only be developed for Windows.

http://www.battlefield-heroes.com/
http://www.bfheroes.org/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,88889095/func,view/catid,8/id,238/#238

michaeel
February 27th, 2008, 07:52 AM
would be nice to play it via wine/cedega, but i think this game will use punkbuster like battlefield 2. however, lets show them that we like to play bf:heroes too ;)

Crafty Kisses
February 27th, 2008, 08:39 AM
would be nice to play it via wine/cedega, but i think this game will use punkbuster like battlefield 2. however, lets show them that we like to play bf:heroes too ;)

Don't use Cedega, personal expereince.

Afoot
February 27th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Don't use Cedega, personal expereince.
Anything but Cedega... And mostly wine handles the job as good or even better.

reed026
February 27th, 2008, 08:37 PM

Punkbuster can work just fine on Linux, however not so when you must use Wine/Cedega to play the game. RTCW:ET punkbuster works fine on native linux, however BF2 punkbuster ran through wine, I was banned because of punkbuster. :confused::(

Zaphod
February 27th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I would love to see that game on linux :)

skismatik
April 22nd, 2008, 07:00 AM
Sorry, I hate to burst the bubble but I just realized there is a “Games for Windows” plug on the screen shots page. I suppose this game is free because M$ is trying to tear a few more fools away from XP and get them into Vista. O’ well, I guess the linux users can go back to their foxholes.

Wikzo
August 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Old topic, yes, but I think we should still fight for getting Heroes to the Linux community. I'm in the beta right now, and I have to run it through Internet Explorer, since it won't work on Firefox 3 (yet) :(

Nathan.Flow
July 20th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I thought it was asposed to be a browser based game, If we as a whole can figure a way to work around the browser barrier problem. Their will be no need for emulators.

Nevon
July 20th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I thought it was asposed to be a browser based game, If we as a whole can figure a way to work around the browser barrier problem. Their will be no need for emulators.

It's not really run through the browser. It's just launched through it.

This is basically the only reason I'm dual booting, now that I've got MS Office 2007 running in Wine.

Pressondude
July 25th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Old topic, yes, but I think we should still fight for getting Heroes to the Linux community. I'm in the beta right now, and I have to run it through Internet Explorer, since it won't work on Firefox 3 (yet) :(
I ran it from firefox 3 in windows xp. I'm beta also

Ericj1186
July 25th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I see a lot of hate on Cedega. I tried a trial, and I couldn't get anything to work, but evidently, it works wonderfully for some people. I'll give it another try one day soon.

As for BF:H: AWESOME game. It's a really fun little pick-up and play type game, that I really enjoyed. Punkbuster is horrible. For no reason whatsoever, I was booted continuously by it, and at the time, this was a known issue. I'll gladly post on their blog, though.

Nathan.Flow
July 29th, 2009, 09:13 PM
It's not really run through the browser. It's just launched through it.

This is basically the only reason I'm dual booting, now that I've got MS Office 2007 running in Wine.

That's disappointing, I suppose I could just run it in wine, after installing it in windows. I just dislike all the work around. What happed to a true 3D browser based MMO? That's what I was led to believe when I heard about it the first time

Nevon
July 30th, 2009, 07:28 AM
That's disappointing, I suppose I could just run it in wine, after installing it in windows.

You can't, actually. It doesn't run in wine, at least partially due to punkbuster.

Guido Giunchi
September 24th, 2009, 05:50 PM
it is a full istalled game with exe and so on...
it starts via ie and it installs through it.
it's very nice

Guido Giunchi
September 24th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I ran it from firefox 3 in windows xp. I'm beta also

firefox no prob........linux prob:(