PDA

View Full Version : Dell Vostro - World of Warcraft?

Dr. Strange
February 27th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Hello;

I'm considering purchasing a new laptop and could use some advice. First, a little background: I presently have a Dell Latitude D400 - 1.4GHz, 1GB RAM, Intel 855 graphics. Everything Ubuntu works great (using the i810 driver). This machine does everything I need *except* run World of Warcraft under wine (which I would dearly love to do on a laptop, given how well it works on my P4-HT desktop PC).

Attempting to run WoW on this laptop in d3d mode crashes the game before the character selection screen, and OpenGL... well, the graphics are highly problematic - major 3D rendering issues. I've more or less traced the cause to the on-board Intel graphics chipset plus possibly too much CPU overhead from wine, which means new-laptop-time. Or remove Ubuntu and put Windows XP back on (under which WoW works fairly well on this machine), but nobody wants that...

I'm leaning towards the Dell Vostro 1400 - it has nearly the same mass and footprint of the D400 (ie: not a manhole-cover), and the price is rather good. The concern I'm having is that I've fallen significantly behind the times in CPU and graphics technology - last set of technologies I've worked extensively with was the Pentium 4 Hyperthread cores and GeForce4-era graphics. So I'm looking to obtain some modern clue.

The machine I'm looking at is:
Dell Vostro 1400 - Intel Core 2 Duo T5270 (1.4GHz / 800MHz / 2MB), 2GB DDR2, nVidia GeForce 8400M GS 128MB

Is this enough machine to run Ubuntu Gutsy (and, presumably, Hardy when it comes out), wine, and World of Warcraft? If not, which parts need I concern myself with?

Thanks.

fedex1993
February 27th, 2008, 04:57 AM
i woundlt really recommend a dell but if you can afford it get it. If you want a laptop that works 100% with ubuntu i would recommend a thinkpad because you boot it up sound works everything works from the start and even after the install

MakLeod
February 27th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Dr. Strange: I just received that exact laptop from Dell. Everything works out of the box (the sound takes one additional line of code into the alsa modprobe file, and the internal mic I still haven't gotten to work). However, everything else works. I haven't tried running WoW on it yet, but it runs Elder Scrolls Oblivion (a much more intense game than WoW) decently. I am 99% sure it will run WoW perfectly. Hope this helps. Make sure you get the 8400m GS instead of the intel x3150.

godlygoat
February 28th, 2008, 03:23 PM
So if i get the x3150 instead of the 8400m WoW wont run?

MakLeod
February 29th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I think it's actually the x3100. WoW should still run, but it will run a lot better with the 8400m GS.