PDA

View Full Version : Help With The Plunge

amethystdragon
February 26th, 2008, 12:15 AM
For years I have toiled with the idea of whether or not to switch over to a Linux OS.

The only things stopping me know is a lack on knowledge on how to get certain programs to work with wine (MS Office 2007, Maple Story Global).

The dependency on MS based applications is deplorable yes I know, however the corporate world is all MS (sucks donít it:mad:). I need office for the programs OneNote (havenít found a suitable note taking program) and access (needs to be compatible to do databases).

The last of which is the game Maple story which I have not found anything on (not for a lack of trying).

Any help would be welcome and I hope to be able to switch to Ubuntu by the summer if not sooner.

chewearn
February 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Have you at least play around in dual boot, or with ubuntu in a second PC? You don't have to switch over cold turkey, but gradually, like I did.

uberlube
February 26th, 2008, 10:17 AM
1) Why use MS Office when you can use OpenOffice
2) All those MMORPGS over the net dont work. Although good ones like WoW do

Mauler5858
February 26th, 2008, 07:03 PM
There are definately open source solutions for what you need. But if you have to run your microsoft stuff you do have the option of running .wine. It seems to run many things on linux fairly well.

MONODA
February 26th, 2008, 07:13 PM
for a note taking application you can try basket notepads it works great and for making diagrams you can use dia. as for maple story and microsoft office, you will most likely need either "crossover office" or "cedega" which are emulators for windows.(they are not free :'()

jken146
February 26th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Dual boot or use a VM if you need to use 2 OSs.

amethystdragon
February 26th, 2008, 11:17 PM
yes i have played arund with ubuntu on a seperate pc and have had issues with the aplicatons i have listed not working.

i need a notetaking program that is free, workes with ubuntu, and has a tablet nterface for notes. i need visio to do network diagrams and access to do ms compatable databases. open office is great but t just doesnt have enough ms compatability to handle a pratical application here(if i cant find one i need ms office:( )

i was also hoping to get away with ut having to dual bot (too much crossing between oses) and VMware (only aplication that suports Direct X)is $189.

ive also been tring to do dual bot with little success n shrinking my hdd so im going to try and whipe the drive and do a clean install (i think ill triboot)

i like ubuntu and the freeware programs that comes with it but there is just not enough compatibility for a ms corperate world yet which is my issue

(maple story is for fun)

chewearn
February 27th, 2008, 02:56 AM
So, let me try to restate your question; you won't get good definite answers otherwise.

You are looking for:
1. ways to run these programs in ubuntu, or
2. any native ubuntu alternative programs

The programs are:
1. MS-Office - OneNote: need tablet interface
2. MS-Office - Access
3. Maple Story Global
4. MS Visio

Did I missed out anything else?

amethystdragon
February 27th, 2008, 08:44 AM
i am looking for a way to run in ubuntu
1. MS-Office - OneNote: need tablet interface (school notes)
2. MS-Office - Access (catalog)
3. Maple Story Global (what little extra time i have)
4. MS Visio (mapping networks)

(open office is not compatible with these files or id just use that)

chewearn
February 29th, 2008, 07:44 AM
A kind soul just posted about an alternative to OneNote:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=710900

zhanglini
March 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM
I still need Excel because I use it to track stock quotes and OpenOffice is not as good.
Last night I was trying to install Office XP 2002 Professional under wine, and the product key I entered is not valid!!! But that is the key I used under Winnows!!!
Has the product key expired something? anyone knows?

chewearn
March 2nd, 2008, 06:03 AM
See here for hints:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3514

I don't have personal experience installing Office in wine, so can't vouch for it though.

zhanglini
March 2nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
See here for hints:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3514

I don't have personal experience installing Office in wine, so can't vouch for it though.

Thank you, I guess I will stick with XP for a while.