PDA

View Full Version : Wine + Lightroom: "No write access or network folder" issue

sunside
February 25th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Hi folks.

I just installed Lightroom using wine 0.9.55 and that worked well. When I start Lightroom it asks me to open a catalog. When I select my catalog, Lightroom says that it can't open the catalog because it is either read-only or on a network share (which Lightroom doesn't seem to support right now).

The catalog is on a ntfs-3g mounted drive, which is owned by root and has full read+write permissions for everyone (at least I thought that, I have another thread open with a similar problam). I tried mount the catalog folder directy as a drive and also created a link to it in my "My Photos" folder (or whatever it is called in English), but without success.

Any idea how to work around that, without using Lightrooms import/export options. (I'd like to keep the catalog where it is)

Markus

HonourableTyr
August 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
I've just had exactly the same problem installing Lightroom on Ubuntu 8.04. It would probably work if I could get the catalogue to load. I've only just started using Linux so have no idea what to try next.

aoanla
August 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
This may be an issue with the catalogue being on an ntfs partition. I know that ntfs-3g doesn't enable all of the features that Wine expects a filesystem to have - this causes issues with running Steam from an ntfs partition, for example - and so it's worth, if you can, testing to see if the problem persists from a different file system.

HonourableTyr
August 2nd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Well, I tried loading the catalogue from the 'virtual' C drive, the primary ext2 partition, an actual XP ntfs partition and all failed.

It is a little like tripping on a flat surface and breaking your ankle just before the finishing line.

So close yet so far.

Seeing as it gets far enough to want to load a catalogue if we could get past this hurdle it would probably load.

Whether it would be usable is a different issue though, may end up being really slow. Just wish Adobe would release a Linux version. Then again, there is Lightzone but it is spending yet again. The other annoying thing is the lack of support for calibration and profiling for monitors.

Jerzabek39
August 16th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Any news here..? :(

qwertymn
August 16th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hi, i downloaded the trial from Adobe site.
This seems to be related to unimplemented function GetVolumePathNameW. I made a quick hack like below, and than the trial starts for me. I dunno how far it's usable, seemed a bit sluggish , and already had 2 crashes while pushing some buttons in the GUI. guess that needs more testing

diff --git a/dlls/kernel32/volume.c b/dlls/kernel32/volume.c
index 74397a9..545eca0 100644
--- a/dlls/kernel32/volume.c
+++ b/dlls/kernel32/volume.c
@@ -1400,10 +1400,16 @@ BOOL WINAPI GetVolumePathNameA(LPCSTR filename, LPSTR volumepathname, DWORD bufl
BOOL WINAPI GetVolumePathNameW(LPCWSTR filename, LPWSTR volumepathname, DWORD buflen)
{
FIXME("(%s, %p, %d), stub!\n", debugstr_w(filename), volumepathname, buflen);
- SetLastError(ERROR_CALL_NOT_IMPLEMENTED);
- return FALSE;
+
+ WCHAR l[] = {'c',':','\\',0};
+
+ lstrcpyW(volumepathname,l);
+ return 1;
}

+
+
+
/************************************************** *********************
* FindFirstVolumeA (KERNEL32.@)
*/

Jerzabek39
August 17th, 2008, 06:46 AM
diff --git a/dlls/kernel32/volume.c b/dlls/kernel32/volume.c
index 74397a9..545eca0 100644
--- a/dlls/kernel32/volume.c
+++ b/dlls/kernel32/volume.c
@@ -1400,10 +1400,16 @@ BOOL WINAPI GetVolumePathNameA(LPCSTR filename, LPSTR volumepathname, DWORD bufl
BOOL WINAPI GetVolumePathNameW(LPCWSTR filename, LPWSTR volumepathname, DWORD buflen)
{
FIXME("(%s, %p, %d), stub!\n", debugstr_w(filename), volumepathname, buflen);
- SetLastError(ERROR_CALL_NOT_IMPLEMENTED);
- return FALSE;
+
+ WCHAR l[] = {'c',':','\\',0};
+
+ lstrcpyW(volumepathname,l);
+ return 1;
}

+
+
+
/************************************************** *********************
* FindFirstVolumeA (KERNEL32.@)
*/
What should I do with the code..?

qwertymn
August 19th, 2008, 10:29 PM
>What should I do with the code..?

You'd have to get the wine-source, patch it with the patch, and compile wine yourself. I've sent a (different) patch to wine-patches, not sure if it'll get accepted

epud
March 29th, 2009, 09:14 PM
So, did anybody find a solution to this? I am also at the catalogue step. Very close I feel.

takashisenko
May 26th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Just go to http://www.winehq.org/download/deb and add APT Repository for your distro. See the page for more specific. And now you can upgrade to the latest beta. Lightroom error already solved.

cheers.
:popcorn:

blur xc
July 8th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Just go to http://www.winehq.org/download/deb and add APT Repository for your distro. See the page for more specific. And now you can upgrade to the latest beta. Lightroom error already solved.

cheers.
:popcorn:

Yeah... I read this post, did all that, and BAM! Lightroom loadedup and appeared to be running!!!! YAY!!! Untull I tried importing a picture.... FAIL...

Doesn't work- real buggy. Crashed- etc... I tried doing a bunch of killall's to get rid of the orphaned processes, but had to reboot to get them to go away.

I have hope at least- Mabye I'll give bible a go- but I already have thousands of pics in lightroom, many raw files with actions applied to them, and I'm not willing to throw all that work away by switching to a new raw processor.

BM

tienhn
August 4th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Close, but no cigar!!!

Installed LightRoom 2.4 OK.
Create Album OK.
Import pictures OK.
However, no icon or images displayed.

So, stick with www.virtualbox.org for now!!!

By far LightRoom is the best tool for photo management and processing that I have found. I have tried F-Spot, digiKam, etc, noe f them even come close.

Cheers,

giampaolo44
March 12th, 2010, 03:32 PM
anybody knows if there's news on this topic?

cheers

winjeel
July 18th, 2010, 06:30 AM

By far LightRoom is the best tool for photo management and processing that I have found. I have tried F-Spot, digiKam, etc, noe f them even come close.

Cheers,

Bibble 5 is pretty darn awesome, but I still feel that LR is an n-th of a degree better. Hopefully, because of the squabbling between Steve Jobs and Adobe, we'll eventually see a Linux version of LR.

handy
August 21st, 2010, 03:44 AM
Has anyone managed to get Lightroom 3, to work in Wine yet?

It is such an awesome tool & I'd love to be able to use it one way or another on Linux, instead of having to boot into OS X, where many of the fonts are so small it causes eye strain using it (OS X, that is).