PDA

View Full Version : Getting a laptop

chris4585
February 24th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Pretty soon i will be getting a laptop, my price range is about $1,500 what i'm looking for is a laptop with 4gb of ram, monitor size 17+, alright size HDD 160gbs or so, a webcam built into it, eithernet port, and a few usb ports, i've tried the Dell customization page for Ubuntu, i want to see if i can get the same thing mayibe cheaper, any off the bat suggestions?

alsa with a nvidia video card, or a card thats known to run nice effects like compiz fusion

(I think it was with 2gb of ram with everything else i got $1,500, so 2gb - 4gb of ram i'm looking for

ahaslam
February 24th, 2008, 10:27 PM
At least you're in the US, that'd be near impossible in Europe.

LTG1
February 25th, 2008, 04:34 PM
One bit of advice: Make sure you don't plan on traveling much.

I'm a developer so at first went for the biggest screens possible to avoid the torture of micro-fonts when working with source code.

However after a few trips on a plane with a 17" laptop you will want to kill yourself.

Unless you fly first class it is terrible to work on plus heavy and bulky to carry around all the time.

I ended up with a 14" screen. It's not that bad to look at, it's cheaper, and a breeze to travel with.

Good luck.

chris4585
February 25th, 2008, 09:55 PM
you make a good point although i dont plan on doing any plane travelling, car trips though, maybe a 15" screen might do, i'm horrible blind but i dont think it would be that big of a problem, thanks for the tip