PDA

View Full Version : BRAND NEW to Linux. I need help installing and getting Wine to work.

DevinJG
February 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM
):P Hallo! I'm completely new to Linux (switched from Windows Vista) and I like what I see with Ubuntu 7.10, but unfortunately I have no idea what to do when it comes to running Wine and installing apps etc. :confused:I'm glad to be on Ubuntu, but if you could help me out a little bit and save me some confusion, I'm sure I'd enjoy things a whole lot more and have a great time with Ubuntu. My first post btw! Thanks!

kokiri
February 24th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu and the fabulous ubuntuforums!!

as for wine install, click the add remove programs button at the botom of the ubuntu menu, and type wine in the search box, click apply and poof you're done

kaginken
February 24th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Alternatively, if you want to have one of the best image managers for your digital pictures, install Picasa (just google picasa linux) and it installs Wine for you.

uberlube
February 24th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Also if you need to get your video drivers installed use a program called ENVY which can be installed either from the Synaptic Package Manager in the menus or from the website:

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Just follow the instructions, it's pretty straight forward. :)