PDA

View Full Version : WINE noob

gamelord12
February 24th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I was under the impression that WINE would allow you to at least try to run any Windows executable file. I have the Unreal Anthology, and I wanted to make it portable on my laptop as opposed to running it on my much more powerful desktop. I know that the original boxed copies of the respective games had Linux binaries in them (though the box for this game only mentioned Windows, so I didn't get my hopes up). Nonetheless, I tried to install it natively. It says it can't run that type of file. No problem. I install WINE through Synaptic, and try again. It still gives me the same error.

Now, I don't really know what I'm looking at, but it appears that WINE is being told to treat my disc drive like it's the D: drive in Windows, yet when I try to the run the executable on the disc again, it still gives me the same error. How do I get started? Even if in the end, the program doesn't really work.

SBFC
February 25th, 2008, 05:45 AM
So you're just trying to run the installer.exe off the game disc?

Ptero-4
February 25th, 2008, 05:59 AM
The linux binary can be run by prefixing the name of the linux binary with ./ or copying it to your HD and doing sudo chmod +x on it (both methods are done on the terminal).