PDA

View Full Version : Thread titles

steveneddy
February 22nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Try starting a thread with a more appropriate title.

Is not a very descriptive title. Who wants to click on that title to see what it is about ???

See this link.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=700739

But there were six posts that I believe answered his thread

I agree that may not be the best title, but the OP got results.

RavenStandsAlone
February 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM

Is not a very descriptive title. Who wants to click on that title to see what it is about ???

See this link.

Uh, the three people who have contributed positively to this thread instead of being judgemental. I know absolutely nothing about Linux iterations. Telling me to open a command prompt that is not called "command prompt" but is called "terminal" instead is useless.

:confused:

RavenStandsAlone
February 22nd, 2008, 09:13 PM

See this link.

Well, I checked the link but that was useless as far as information that does me any good in this situation. All I want to do is to install a program. If someone would be so kind as to hold my hand and put down the exact command line to use it would probably be very helpful. Also helpful would be a link to the information I am seeking laid out in the format that this ignorant petitioner humbly seeks o' wise Ubuntu seer!

Raven

:(

bodhi.zazen
February 22nd, 2008, 09:14 PM
I am not being judgmental, this thread was reported and I am moderating.

Vague thread titles may "work" but there is a better way. A descriptive title attracts the attention of "experts" much better.

"HELP ...." is much less effective then "Help with Grub" (for example). The second will attract the attention on people interested or with expertise in grub.

Part of what I do as a mod is teach, and IMO teaching people to use more effective titles helps the forums work more efficiently.

seventhc
February 22nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
I am not being judgmental, this thread was reported and I am moderating.

Vague thread titles may "work" but there is a better way. A descriptive title attracts the attention of "experts" much better.

"HELP ...." is much less effective then "Help with Grub" (for example). The second will attract the attention on people interested or with expertise in grub.

Part of what I do as a mod is teach, and IMO teaching people to use more effective titles helps the forums work more efficiently.
Why was this reported>>>??? there was absolutely no reason for that!!!who reported it????
Agreed, But it's only their 6th post...shouldn't we be helpful first, and then explain how it works??
Not everyone knows the way of the forum, especially for a new person to both Ubuntu and the Forum.
So, IMHO we first help them to get up and running, and then we can discuss the how's ans why's.
A lot of people probably install Ubuntu not knowing anything, and they panic I hardly think being critical of a first post is the answewr.
First we solve their problems
second, we let them feel comfortable,
third, follow the rules

seventhc
February 22nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Not that I am critical to the cause, but if the OP is reported for some stupid reason, I see no further point in helping anyone.

uberlube
February 22nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
I agree, this thread shouldn't have been reported. Vague titles are annoying but all it takes is someone just mentioning it to him and he'll probably never do it again. Although being a noob at ubuntu dosent necessarily mean that they are noobs at forums so ya people should know better.

paultag
February 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Why was this reported>>>??? there was absolutely no reason for that!!!who reported it????
Agreed, But it's only their 6th post...shouldn't we be helpful first, and then explain how it works??
Not everyone knows the way of the forum, especially for a new person to both Ubuntu and the Forum.
So, IMHO we first help them to get up and running, and then we can discuss the how's ans why's.
A lot of people probably install Ubuntu not knowing anything, and they panic I hardly think being critical of a first post is the answewr.
First we solve their problems
second, we let them feel comfortable,
third, follow the rules

Seventhc, I understand why you think this, however if people don't learn early or take the time to use common etiquette, they should be corrected. We have a flood of posts with titles that are completely useless. Just because they are new is no reason to let them violate a common concept of politeness. This is not something that is only true on Ubuntu Forums, but on any Forum.

Please use descriptive titles.

Cheers,
Tag

seventhc
February 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Is this unreported yet>>>???
We have all asked questions and posted titles that didn't mean anything.
My main reason for being at this forum is the openness of it. If it has changed, now I know.
So I am asking again is this post reported, and if so why???
I push open source regularly but I especialy push this forum..but now I can't, now you're becoming like every other forum.
google it man
rtfm
No, I won't be a party to that, sorry.
The whole beauty of this forum was our understanding of being new.
if that is now lost, then so am I.
My time has been something I have offered for free,
but not in this way
I will not contribute in this way.

RavenStandsAlone
February 22nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Is this unreported yet>>>???
We have all asked questions and posted titles that didn't mean anything.
My main reason for being at this forum is the openness of it. If it has changed, now I know.
So I am asking again is this post reported, and if so why???
I push open source regularly but I especialy push this forum..but now I can't, now you're becoming like every other forum.
google it man
rtfm
No, I won't be a party to that, sorry.
The whole beauty of this forum was our understanding of being new.
if that is now lost, then so am I.
My time has been something I have offered for free,
but not in this way
I will not contribute in this way.

Okay................ Have I done something here that requires an abject apology? I was only trying to get some information so that I could install Adobe FlashPlayer and watch the news on msnbc.com...........

Wow, I did not intend to start intercinine warfare on this forum.

Googling it is a fine thing to be able to do. This is why I have fallen in love with the "non-judgemental" teacher that the internet can be. Ask a question and there is an answer forthcoming or that the information is not available. There is none of that, "Didn't you pay attention in class yesterday Raven?" that I had to put up with all through school.

I am not trying to stir flames but just to get information.

Raven

seventhc
February 22nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
In my mind, you have done nothing wrong RavenStandAlone..
the rest is up to the people in charge..you have done no wrong and nothing that nobody else has not done before...
although, I guess technically I might be leaving lol..it's not your fault at all, so don't worry. :)
I agree with your post, and wish to help you. :)

steveneddy
February 22nd, 2008, 10:22 PM

See this link.

IMHO - bodhi.zazen should have offered an answer to the OP's problem, THEN told the OP about the forum title.

This type of "moderation" is a little uncalled for.

This is my .02.

LaRoza
February 22nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
IMHO - bodhi.zazen should have offered an answer to the OP's problem, THEN told the OP about the forum title.

This type of "moderation" is a little uncalled for.

This is my .02.

bodhi.zazen just responded to a report. We are often busy, but we take the time to respond to concerns of the community.

Sometimes, someone reports a post that doesn't violate the CoC, and we deal with it. It isn't like any of us search the forum for things to do. We are busy enough.

bodhi.zazen
February 22nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
OK, now it is getting out of hand. I moved all the relevant posts here for discussion.

I do not know the answer to the OP question, otherwise I would certainly have answered.

This being the case, as I said the thread was reported and I agree vague thread titles are problematic.

I would appreciate any help you would like to offer, both answering posts and educating re: thread titles or any other education you can perform.

I am uncomfortable with your comments in the original thread and they detract from assistance from the OP, so I moved them.

"attacking" me for moding is IMO inappropriate but I am open to rational discussion of the issue.

There is no need for personal attacks. If you disagree with a moderator, bring it up in the resolution center so it can be discussed. Mods / Admins make mistakes from time to time and we are open to feedback.

I agree with the sentiment to help first, that is certainly the case, but there is still a need to moderate and keep these forums running smoothly.

LaRoza
February 22nd, 2008, 10:48 PM
bodhi.zazen also spends a lot of time helping beginners and is the leader of the Beginner Team. The time spent on helping people is rarely thanked, but now people are getting in a tiff because of one little thing?

bodhi.zazen spends more time than I helping beginners...

bodhi.zazen
February 22nd, 2008, 10:54 PM
OK, what does everyone think about this kind of post for improving thread titles ?

I am looking for something "generic" that I can cut/paste/modify as needed. he he he ... saves on the typing.

Please Try starting a thread with a more descriptive title. When you describe the problem you attract the attention of "experts" on your question faster and it save a lot of time for those of us trying to help.

See this link for additional suggestions.

I like the link as I think it really helps educate, I only wish I could say I wrote it.

~ Thanks jan quark http://ubuntuforums.org/customavatars/avatar436178_11.gif

paultag
February 22nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
OK, what does everyone think about this kind of post for improving thread titles ?

I am looking for something "generic" that I can cut/paste/modify as needed. he he he ... saves on the typing.

I like the link as I think it really helps educate, I only wish I could say I wrote it.

Do you think we should have a stickey thread for Forum Guidelines? Call it something like *Read Before you Post*?

I think Jan's thread should be linked in there as well.

Cheers,
Tag

::EDIT::

There is a place for this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=232059

I believe that this now solves the issue, and that the poster should have read these guidelines before posting.

seventhc
February 22nd, 2008, 11:04 PM
I believe in wise posting too, but I'm not sure i agree with this OP as being reported...a simple educational post/warning would be sufficient. We are after all...here to help, you shouldn't complain to a new poster b/c they don't ask the correct questions. They are probably panicking after losing windows, and just want stuff to work,
A bit of forgiveness is required.
Maybe its just me though.

speeddemon8803
February 22nd, 2008, 11:06 PM
Guys, I am a beginner team member...also a ADMIN of a few dozen forums (none of which are affiliated here so i will not say their names) I as an admin go nuts when people just put "help me" as a title....i dont wanna go through an entire post just to figure out what the heck your talking about. Please be descriptive in your title. "help with grub" "help with wireless" those are GREAT titles. The stuff about please help me...that gets crazy...we do have a please read before posting thread that everyone should be REQUIRED to read. I see a lot of threads either getting backyarded or deleted because of non-compliance with forum guidelines or announcements coming up in the future. Not because were trying to be mean...just because people dont want to read before posting. Thats my gripe session and 2 cents...if it was harsh im sorry..but it had to be said.

seventhc
February 22nd, 2008, 11:13 PM
So, someones help thread got turned into a Forum feedback thread???
this makes about as much sense as microsoft office...not being able to read office 95...whats the point, where is the logic??
omg, is this forum turning into a dictatorship??? omg:(

paultag
February 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
So, someones help thread got turned into a Forum feedback thread???

No, this is a new thread

aysiu
February 22nd, 2008, 11:53 PM
Discussion about the infraction seventhc received has been moved to its own Resolution Center thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=704771).

RavenStandsAlone
February 23rd, 2008, 12:07 AM
Wow. Are you all insane here? Nobody insulted anyone here except this dood bodhi whatever. He said I had a boring title for my first post and no one would look at it. Wrong, when he posted that message there had already been six posts ahead of his. Now there are currently about 30 replies to that post.

So, bodhi's post was incorrect and he has now, basically, bitch-slapped seventhc for daring to point that out to him.

Goodbye forum. I wish there was a way to un-subscribe so that my stats would not be here. This will be my last log-in here.

Incredible.

aysiu
February 23rd, 2008, 12:11 AM
And with that, let's close this thread. Too much drama here, very little productive discussion.

PriceChild
February 23rd, 2008, 02:01 AM
I've just read though this thread and I don't believe the following has been mentioned.

Better thread titles improve search results, meaning users with the same problem/looking for similar threads find it easier.