PDA

View Full Version : Why Ubuntu ? ... Why, oh why ?

Cov(enant)
February 21st, 2008, 06:19 PM
Alright, I am a persistant Windows based PC user.
(Coming from Sinclair ZX81, Commodore 64/128, Amiga, 80x86, Pentium going to Core2Duo/Quad soon)

My main intention is to use the PC for games, internet and Word Processing.

As for someone who doesn't know nothing about different OS and their advantages ... could you tell me your top 5 reasons for why changing to Ubuntu, please ?

My 5 reasons for Windows are:

1. PC games require Windows OS ... afaik
2. Windows Vista has an awesome user interface.
3. As I'm a noob in this subject, I wouldn't know about other OS being faster / more stable or not.
4. The majority of programs on the market are for Windows, right ?
5. Billions of people can't be wrong !?!! ... can they ?

Thank you :)

NightwishFan
February 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM
1. It is open source.
2. It has a well supported AMD64 version.
3. It has a live cd with gparted.
4. The interface is customizable and more lightweight than Vista, and arguably Xp. (Definably more customizable).
5. These forums are my home away from home.

Borbus
February 21st, 2008, 06:28 PM
1. You can play some good games on Linux (UT, ETQW etc.)
2. Compiz-Fusion which is an "awesome interface" (better than Vista, more functional, more customisable)
3. As I'm not a noob I know Linux is more stable and more secure.
4. The majority of Windows apps have an open source alternative, often better (ie. LaTeX instead of Word etc.)
5. Billions of people can be very, very wrong.

Yellow Pasque
February 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM
I made the switch to 24/7 Linux use
1. It's free
2. I can change my hardware to whatever I want without having to call Redmond and convince someone who can barely speak English that I'm not using the OS on a different PC and violating the cumbersome MS license
3. What's a virus?
4. It boots and runs much faster
5. I love helping the people here shake off their shackles. The sense of community is awesome
Bonus 6. Did I mention it's free?

rbprogrammer
February 21st, 2008, 06:31 PM
2. Compiz-Fusion which is an "awesome interface" (better than Vista, more functional, more customisable)
4. The majority of Windows apps have an open source alternative, often better (ie. LaTeX instead of Word etc.)
i was just about to post the exact same thing :lolflag: ..

LeAstrale
February 21st, 2008, 06:31 PM
1. It is open source.
2. It has a well supported AMD64 version.
3. It has a live cd with gparted.
4. The interface is customizable and more lightweight than Vista, and arguably Xp. (Definably more customizable).
5. These forums are my home away from home.

you're right about your top 5.

mine would be like this:
1. You're in charge of what your computer is doing.
2. Open Source (its a good thing because it makes security issues get fixed faster and probarly found sooner)
3. again everything is your own choice.. you can make a very fancy desktop or you could stay at the CLI exclusiely
4. Free Programs all over the place
5. The security is top notch (if you screw your system its probarly because you used some command with sudo in front of it that you shouldn't had run)

/Astral-1

aysiu
February 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM
1. PC games require Windows OS ... afaik That's why you should console game.
2. Windows Vista has an awesome user interface. "Awesome" is subjective. Even if you like Vista's interface, you can copy it in Ubuntu, because Ubuntu is easily customizable.
3. As I'm a noob in this subject, I wouldn't know about other OS being faster / more stable or not. I've found stability to be about the same for Mac OS X, Windows XP, and Ubuntu. Speed differences between the OSes depend on the computer, for some reason.
4. The majority of programs on the market are for Windows, right ? Not everyone has to use the majority of programs. All the programs I need are available in Ubuntu's software repositories. If you require Windows-only games, then you probably should use Windows.
5. Billions of people can't be wrong !?!! ... can they ? Considering most of those billions have never used Ubuntu or Mac OS X, I would say they aren't making an informed choice, so they can definitely be wrong in this instance. They all eat at McDonald's too.

Therion
February 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM
1. Because Microsoft/Windows is heading in a direction(s) I no longer care to support financially or philosophically.

2. I like the philosophy behind Ubuntu and open-source software in general. Call me a marketing shill, or gullible or whatever, but those sorts of things (e.g. Principles) are important to me.

3. Linux/Ubuntu is free. Always has been, always will be.

4. I like the fact that Linux/Ubuntu puts the power, the control, of my PC back where it belongs - in MY hand's.

5. Linux/Ubuntu is lighter and tighter; meaning it requires far fewer system-wide hardware resources to run smoothly and is inherently more secure. What a relief not having to scan for viruses, malware etc., clean the Registry, defrag the hard drive, et cetera, et cetera an infinitum. I've stopped running around in circles "maintaining" my computer with Windows and gotten back to USING my computer with Ubuntu.

mech7
February 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM
That's why you should console game. "Awesome" is subjective. Even if you like Vista's interface, you can copy it in Ubuntu, because Ubuntu is easily customizable. I've found stability to be about the same for Mac OS X, Windows XP, and Ubuntu.

User interface does not mean taskbar and icons.. Tell me how i can easily change to the Vista menu in ubuntu and it will be the first thing i change ;)

aysiu
February 21st, 2008, 06:49 PM
User interface does not mean taskbar and icons.. Tell me how i can easily change to the Vista menu in ubuntu and it will be the first thing i change ;)
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize the OP was speaking about the Vista menu, whatever that is.

k99goran
February 21st, 2008, 06:53 PM
Clearly, Santa Claus does exist. I mean, if he didn't then how did all these presents get under the tree?
I'm pretty sure billions of people can be wrong. I'm also sure that billions of people are wrong about many things. And I'm sure that there aren't billions of Windows users in the world.

LightB
February 21st, 2008, 06:54 PM
I don't just use Ubuntu. It's a great laptop distro though. I've been even known to use FreeBSD though it's not as good of a desktop OS as Linux.

As for reasons:

1. I don't "game", and because of game consoles the PC game market is in a tremendous slump anyways.

2. Vista stinks in several directions and a mere interface won't change that.

3. A Windows system gets slow when it gets full of it's typical usage crud and there's no official way to remedy this, you're on your own (reformat, reformat, reformat! activate, activate activate!).

4. If I feel the need to run one of a million toy programs that's what dual booting is for.

5. Most are not deciding anything to be "wrong" in the first place.

6. Activation hassle of windows, the typical malware, a scum of a corporation owning it, loss of control over your own content and PC.

7. Ballmer is an epic [fun word here].

8. Vista is arbitrarily slow without a good enough reason for it.

9. I like the speed boost of the networking on Linux anyways.

DrMega
February 21st, 2008, 06:54 PM
1. I was sick of the poor performance and high maintenance overhead on Windows (keep your firewall, antivirus etc up to date, clean the registry etc), and the availability of good legally free apps (you get lured to the free download only to find it is a limited version).

2. I was curious about Linux.

3. I wanted a stable, low maintenance OS.

4. I'd heard it was less demanding on your hardware.

5. I still wanted to play some games - (Windows wins for me in this one respect).

kevin11951
February 21st, 2008, 06:55 PM

im not sure where i saw it, but there is a vista menu for ubuntu somewhere (i think its gnome-look.org).

wait, as i typed that i found it:

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Vista+Start+Menu+for+Gnome+Panel?content=71425

fatality_uk
February 21st, 2008, 06:55 PM
1. - It's NOT Windows
2. - It's NOT Windows
3. - It's NOT Windows
4. - It's NOT Windows
5. - It's NOT Windows

Therion
February 21st, 2008, 06:56 PM
... Tell me how i can easily change to the Vista menu in ubuntu and it will be the first thing i change ;)
Okay... Complete Vista Aero theme (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Complete+Vista+Aero+theme+%28automated%29?content= 72318).

samwyse
February 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM

Windows games require Windows OS.

Namtabmai
February 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM

You mean the slab style stuff? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Slab ?

NightwishFan
February 21st, 2008, 07:02 PM
1. - It's NOT Windows
2. - It's NOT Windows
3. - It's NOT Windows
4. - It's NOT Windows
5. - It's NOT Windows

My thoughts exactly.

billgoldberg
February 21st, 2008, 07:05 PM

All I have to say about this is:

http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/screenshots/

Cov(enant)
February 21st, 2008, 07:09 PM
You are awesome ! ... :)

Thanks for the prompt replies ... I consider looking into it and maybe maybe ... never know

1. Open source eh ? ... that seems to be more significant than expected.
2. The interface is customizable ? ... I can't imagine it being more customizable than windows ... but I cannot judge ... yet.
3. Yes, this forum seems to be very good indeed.
4. Never knew there are games for this platform like UTM ... cool !
5. Linux is more stable and more secure ... ok, (makes a note in the back of his mind)
6. And yeah, billions of people can very well be wrong ... to go deeper would burst the subject of this thread.
7. It's free ... well that is something hard to believe.
8. Linux has no viruses ?????
9. The shorter boot up time is conveniant but not the most important factor I think.
10. What does "shaking off the shackles" mean ? Is it like smacking around the tree ?
11. Being in charge of what you're doing ... that would be a first ! Hahaha ... I often ask myself who is the master and who is the slave, honest.
12. Free programs ? ... but are they good at the same time ?
13. Getting a XBox 360 ? ... well, I think I have to come back to having four different PCs.
14. Yeah, these Bilions don't make informed choices ... they just take what's closest to their face.
15. Well, to talk about a "philosophy" behind an OS ... that's the opinion which I was hoping to find :o
16. regarding puting the power back to the user ... see remark No 11
17. Windows systems always get slower by the time. Is Ubuntu really more intelligent ? Why is Microsoft not implementing this idea into Windows then ?

About this forum ... it's too early days for me to say, but having collected some impressions from other forums, my initial all-around-feeling is very good.

It's like choosing the graphics card for my next monster PC. There are many different brands of the model I want to get ... the GeForce 8800 GT.
As reviews are not really conclusive on this component, I made my mind up by visiting each and every companie's website.

Meaning: I've decided to choose the brand by the design of the website.
How easy was it to find my way through the menu ? Was it clear and intuitive ? ect

1. Asus
2. Gainward
3. Palit
4. Gigabyte
5. Leadtek
6. XFX
7. EVGA
8. BFG
9. MSI

BFG has won for me.

I know it might sound strange to you, but hey ... if I had flipped a coin - that would have been worse.

Sorry, that was not really on topic.

Bungo Pony
February 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM
1. No Viruses
2. No Trojans
3. No Spyware
4. No Windows Genuine Advantage
5. It's free

Almost all of my must-have software has either been replaced by a Linux equivalent, or I'm able to get the Windows versions to run in Wine.

Yellow Pasque
February 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
4. No Windows Genuine Advantage
Oh, come on now, Uncle Bill should be allowed to store your computer's info in a data file and sound an alarm when any little thing changes (like upgrading your video card or adding RAM). Does anyone else feel like Mr. Gates = Big Brother?

unityofsaints
February 21st, 2008, 08:09 PM
Mods, this needs to be moved to "recurring discussions" IMO.

notwen
February 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM
1. Secure (no viruses, malware)
2. Stable (rare, if any lockups)
3. Open Source ( it's mine to do whatever with, i'm not leasing a OS)
4. Free (Doesn't cost the price of a cheap PC, free upgrades)
5. Choice

NightwishFan
February 21st, 2008, 08:13 PM
http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

This page seems unorthodox but it is true. :popcorn:

Samueltehg33k
February 21st, 2008, 08:49 PM
ubuntu ultimate gaming edition. and the part about millions of people. well you are brain washed. as you can see by my sig i have used almost every ms os since 95 and you know what? no innovation its the same old thing with a new look. vista should be renamed to: Windows 95 vista edition

DrMega
February 21st, 2008, 08:52 PM

In my experience, this is the bit that most people have trouble grasping. I guess its about a different way of thinking. In my experience the apps are not only as good as commercial counterparts, but in most cases better. They are written by people who were passionate about what they do and wanted to fulfill a specific set of realistic requirements, as opposed to people in a commercial development team who've been told by their boss to develop app X using technology Y by deadline Z.

17. Windows systems always get slower by the time. Is Ubuntu really more intelligent ? Why is Microsoft not implementing this idea into Windows then ?

They don't need to. People keep throwing huge amounts of money at them without even asking themselves what they are buying. If I was Bill Gates a would have died from laughing too hard by now. I would pay my management team to entertain me by coming to see me every 30 minutes to tell me what else they've got their customers to fall for now. I can just imagine it:

1998: "Bill, we've had an excellent idea, we're going to change the logo on Windows 95 so it says 98 and see if we can sell it to them again".

Still in 1998: "Bill guess what, if we spend a day or so tweaking 98 we can sell it to businesses as NT for their servers and sell them it again".

Later. "Bill we've had an idea, you know we charge per server for our SQL license? Why don't we tell them they have to pay twice if there server has a dual core processor, and four time if they have a quad core, and charge them separately for the development server and production server?".

2007: "Bill we've just about finished Vista but it is really bloated, lets see if instead of making it more efficient, we can just tell them their machines are cr@p and that they need to buy a new one".

They keep on getting away with it, so why bother actually putting the effort in.

cookieofdoom
February 21st, 2008, 08:57 PM
I'll list mine, I might be repeating some people.

1. It doesn't lock up trying to do simple tasks like printing to a network printer. | Windows seems to do that in every network I've used.
2. Linux interfaces are amazingly productive. Compiz fusion is 5 times more useful than aero, and uses a tenth of the resources. Openbox (my preferred wm for slower computers) is extremely lightweight, but still very useful.
3. Everything is replaceable. You don't like your desktop walllpaper manager? Replace it. You don't like your top/bottom panel? Get rid of it and install a dock, or another panel program. You don't like your file browser? Install another one. Have fun doing that in Windows... where you can't even uninstall Internet Explorer and Notepad (easily). Everything is customizable and replaceable.
4. The majority of commercial software is written for Windows (and now Mac). I don't have a lot of money, and open source solutions are better in a lot of ways anyway. I don't have to spend $700 for decent graphics editing software. It's true that a lot of FOSS is ported to Windows, but I find it runs better in it's native operating system.
5. Power. I don't have a supercomputer, but my computer is decent (AMD dual core, 8800GT, 2GB RAM, etc). I don't get half the power out of this thing under Windows that I do in Linux. Multitasking in Windows always makes me feel like I'm doing something that the OS was never designed to do. I don't have to run AV and firewall software that uses 100MB+ of RAM, and scans my computer on a regular basis. I get all the power my computer has as soon as I ask for it.

Don't get me wrong, I still keep Windows around. I use it for gaming, but that's about it. Everything else I've found Linux (Ubuntu or otherwise, for the most part) does better.

Cov(enant)
February 21st, 2008, 09:00 PM
@ Dr Mega ... Hahaha stop it - my stomach hurts ! :):)

NightwishFan
February 21st, 2008, 09:03 PM
It is a good hurt. :lolflag:

Lord DarkPat
February 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM
1) It's not owned by a company that doesn't care about it's consumers
2) apt is unbeatable(that's why I never go off debian)
3) It's free
4) The software(like blender) is not only free but also more powerful than some paid-for apps
5) It's not Windows:popcorn:

derekr44
February 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM
Secure, no viruses, spyware to worry about.
Stable, easily fixable if something does go wrong.
Free, the software apps too
Insane resource manageability (RAM/CPU, etc)
Ability to play Windows games on it through Wine/Crossover.

I currently use an EVGA 7600GT on a widescreen at 1440x900 with no problems.

If you're looking for games to run on Linux there are quite a few popular ones with native clients available. I run several Windows games with Crossover too. Check out the Gaming forum here.

Oh, and you can practically customize your menu any way you want. They're mostly XML files that are easily editable (at least on XFCE).

drascus
February 21st, 2008, 09:59 PM
of course billions of people can be wrong that happens all the time. Using Ubuntu for me is a matter of using software that respects my freedom. I wouldn't trade that away just for the simple convenience of using Windows.

drascus
February 21st, 2008, 10:03 PM
" What does "shaking off the shackles" mean ? Is it like smacking around the tree ?"

here are some links to answer that question...
http://www.fsf.org/

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

hope that helps...

bobbybobington
February 21st, 2008, 11:36 PM
1. Customizeability/ easy to theme , this is what got me hooked on linux.
2. Free Open-source software, no more crappy trial software.
3. No viruses, spyware etc...
4. Release cycle. A new version of Ubuntu comes out every 6 months. Its like having 2 Christmases every year!
5. Just Plain Easier than windows:
Printer installation? Automatic
Select text to copy, and push the middle mouse button to paste.
Compiz lets me have as many workspaces as I need, windows only has one cramped workspace.
the list goes on...
Extra: WINE and Cedega let me satisfy my gaming needs on Ubuntu

bruce89
February 22nd, 2008, 12:30 AM
I have none. If Windows works for you, so be it.

JordanII
February 22nd, 2008, 12:37 AM
1.Compiz Fusion is WAY better than Vista.
2.Very Secure
3.Very configurable
4.Great for audio production
5.Great FREE support.

JordanII
February 22nd, 2008, 12:41 AM
You are awesome ! ... :)

Thanks for the prompt replies ... I consider looking into it and maybe maybe ... never know

1. Open source eh ? ... that seems to be more significant than expected.
2. The interface is customizable ? ... I can't imagine it being more customizable than windows ... but I cannot judge ... yet.
3. Yes, this forum seems to be very good indeed.
4. Never knew there are games for this platform like UTM ... cool !
5. Linux is more stable and more secure ... ok, (makes a note in the back of his mind)
6. And yeah, billions of people can very well be wrong ... to go deeper would burst the subject of this thread.
8. Linux has no viruses ?????
9. The shorter boot up time is conveniant but not the most important factor I think.
10. What does "shaking off the shackles" mean ? Is it like smacking around the tree ?
11. Being in charge of what you're doing ... that would be a first ! Hahaha ... I often ask myself who is the master and who is the slave, honest.
13. Getting a XBox 360 ? ... well, I think I have to come back to having four different PCs.
14. Yeah, these Bilions don't make informed choices ... they just take what's closest to their face.
15. Well, to talk about a "philosophy" behind an OS ... that's the opinion which I was hoping to find :o
16. regarding puting the power back to the user ... see remark No 11

About this forum ... it's too early days for me to say, but having collected some impressions from other forums, my initial all-around-feeling is very good.

It's like choosing the graphics card for my next monster PC. There are many different brands of the model I want to get ... the GeForce 8800 GT.
As reviews are not really conclusive on this component, I made my mind up by visiting each and every companie's website.

Meaning: I've decided to choose the brand by the design of the website.
How easy was it to find my way through the menu ? Was it clear and intuitive ? ect

1. Asus
2. Gainward
3. Palit
4. Gigabyte
5. Leadtek
6. XFX
7. EVGA
8. BFG
9. MSI

BFG has won for me.

I know it might sound strange to you, but hey ... if I had flipped a coin - that would have been worse.

Sorry, that was not really on topic.

They are AWESOME at the same time! And, yup... Linux has no viruses!

toupeiro
February 22nd, 2008, 12:44 AM
1. Because Microsoft/Windows is heading in a direction(s) I no longer care to support financially or philosophically.

2. I like the philosophy behind Ubuntu and open-source software in general. Call me a marketing shill, or gullible or whatever, but those sorts of things (e.g. Principles) are important to me.

3. Linux/Ubuntu is free. Always has been, always will be.

4. I like the fact that Linux/Ubuntu puts the power, the control, of my PC back where it belongs - in MY hand's.

5. Linux/Ubuntu is lighter and tighter; meaning it requires far fewer system-wide hardware resources to run smoothly and is inherently more secure. What a relief not having to scan for viruses, malware etc., clean the Registry, defrag the hard drive, et cetera, et cetera an infinitum. I've stopped running around in circles "maintaining" my computer with Windows and gotten back to USING my computer with Ubuntu.

+20!!

Wonderfully stated.

bashveank
February 22nd, 2008, 12:55 AM
My top 5 reasons for using Linux

It's fast and reliable. I've never had a Linux induced headache.
It shows me what's going on under the hood; even if I'm not diagnosing a problem it's nice to know what my computer is doing.
The thousands of amazing free apps
Compiz Fusion makes computing so much more enjoyable.
Most of the smarter (technology wise) people I know use Linux, or at least some kind of Unix-like OS.

I'm mostly a console gamer; for the PC games that I want to play I dual boot to an nLite'd XP install.

I guess that's subjective, I think that Gnome's UI is much more intuitive, and has a better look and feel than anything from MS or even Apple.

Unfortunately, the majority of the programs on the market are some of the worst programs out there; open source apps are so much more powerful and intuitive.

Yes, they can. The majority of those billions are very inexperienced, and I personally think that the experienced users are caught up in some kind of demented Windows fanboy mindset.

dashnak
February 22nd, 2008, 12:59 AM
I fail to see the reason why we should be "convincing" people of switching, of course they can come and ask about some doubt, but this whole "convince me of why I should use linux" is getting old...

EnergySamus
February 22nd, 2008, 01:02 AM
1. It is free!!!

2. It has Compiz (sort of like Windows Aero or Mac Aqua effects) for no extra charge (ahem... Vista Premium costs more than Basic](*,))

3. Interface is very easy to use. Everything is organized into nice menus. I even installed a Mac like dock! The only somewhat advanced thing is the terminal, but that is what the Ubuntu Forums are for:lolflag:

4. There are great apps for Linux. Plus, Wine emulates games from Windows. Doom 3 can be played as a natural Linux game too:KS:):guitar:

5. Both have their stregnths and weaknesses. I have a Dual-boot set up, and I use both Ubuntu and Windows. But it depends on what you prefer.

EnergySamus

Dark Aspect
February 22nd, 2008, 01:07 AM
1.The New games require an insane amount of CPU Power.While iin Linux I can Draw an Xwindow and get tons more FPS then what I get in Windows.

2. Ubuntu has a nice 3D desktop effect (compiz).

3. Ubuntu is stable and has no virus.

4. Ubuntu is open source and I can use programs equivalent to windows programs that I would normally not be able to afford.

5. People aren't really wrong they're just feed Microsoft's propaganda and think Linux is an evil,incompatible and a unstable OS.

awakatanka
February 22nd, 2008, 01:07 AM
Use what ever you want to use, but if you want to try something use it more then a couple of hours, try it at least for 1 month our more and try to ask how something works before judging something.

Everyone has his own reasons to use something and it will almost never be he same reasons as yours.

bruce89
February 22nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
I fail to see the reason why we should be "convincing" people of switching, of course they can come and ask about some doubt, but this whole "convince me of why I should use linux" is getting old...

Thanks, that is the attitude to have.

amingv
February 22nd, 2008, 01:09 AM
This has been said over and over, here are mine anyway:

1.-Ubuntu (GNU/Linux in general) let's me do what I want. It does not impose orders upon me.
2.-It's GPL'd. I have freedom and the software is mine; even though I didn't pay for it.
3.-It is a great programming platform for learners (and professionals alike). If I had stayed in Windows, I'd still be struggling with "Hello, World!" programs.
4.-It's so much more secure, and easier to maintain. Also offers better performance over the time.
5.-Last but not least, it makes me feel I'm in a community, not a cubicle.

Your #5 reason is widely used. In fact I used that logic against my mother many times, until one day she said to me:

"Eat grass, millions of cows can't be wrong."

All those people don't choose windows, windows is imposed unto them, most of them don't even know they have a choice. That's why the polls mean so little to me.
If one day we had a poll of how many choose Windows against how many choose Linux, then I'd be interested.

Presto123
February 22nd, 2008, 01:21 AM
You like the way Vista looks? To be honest, I do too. Problem is that it took away so much usability with its minimal amount of visual improvements and "features" that I still have no clue why they are there, that my dual-boot laptop only gets booted into Vista for MS Word 2007. I love that program, but Open Office is working its way to being very nice and is actually better compared to Office 2003.

Basically the reason I dread booting into Vista is because it just lags on my brand new laptop. With Ubuntu, I have customized it so much, that it has everything that Vista has and I can still run about 2x as much video-intensive "pretties" as Vista.

Take a look below at the attached pictures and you can see what I mean. (That's one reason, now for more)

2. Any issues I have, I have the forums here to help as well as be able to help others with their problems. I love community-based exchanges like this. (And don't worry about elitists, there are very few here.)

3. Free OS's mean that you can try different distros (versions) to your hearts content until you find the right one for you OR can keep playing all you want without having to pay for it.

4. Free programs that are very well made, IMO. Three of my favorite programs are based on Open Source and two I have used for a long time on Windows: Firefox, VLC (Video Player), and Amarok (very nice music player).

5. I have never had a virus on this computer and none on my Ubuntu partition of my dual-boot laptop since the day I installed it. You can tell how long this has been by looking at my join date.

I would also like to add that you can actually get into the heart of your computer as well and change things if you want. Heck, if you wanted to, you could even make your own version of the OS without voiding some kind of OS warranty.

SunnyRabbiera
February 22nd, 2008, 02:09 AM

Well this may be true, but its the game makers target windows because it has a large market share.
If you are a gamer then having a dual boot might be a good option, no one is forcing you to use ubuntu 100%

I personally dislike vistas interface, it is really just a blatant ripoff of what apple and linux has offered for years.
Really shiny interfaces should mean nothing compared to stability and efficiency, and Vista is far from effecient.
It is bogged down with a lot of useless effects that really just take up space and memory.
With linux you can customize what you want, if you dont like certain effects you have the ability of turning them off without loosing functionality... Vista cant do this.
Plus Compiz fusion in my mind is much more stable, less resource demanding then what vista can offer...
For me Ubuntu and linux in general is much better in the long term, eye candy and fancy effects only serve the short term, but when things go wrong you are going to wish that you did value stability over flashy effects.

3. As I'm a noob in this subject, I wouldn't know about other OS being faster / more stable or not.
Well then learn, both Apple OSX and linux offer way more stability and both are much more efficient.
Apple OSX is a great example of a proper balance between stability and effects, and Linux can just about match it (at least stability wise, in effects linux still needs some work but it is getting there)
Vista honestly is more eye candy and hype then anything else, it really offers nothing in the long term then XP except XP is going to be cut out... unfortunately.
I have no real gripes with XP to be honest with you, it is a good system but it has so many problems with viruses and malicious content.
Vista though, ugh I hate it... I never seen a more useless thing in all my life.
Really all vista is good for is eye candy, and really that is something not to be proud of.

Perhaps, but every day there is something new for linux, every day people come up with something new for linux.
Windows might have the majority, but linux can be just as versatile if you want it to be... heck linux can be more versatile then windows because of WINE and several other utilities.

Yes they can

Your welcome

julian67
February 22nd, 2008, 02:10 AM
My 5 reasons for switching from Windows to Linux

1: I got very frustrated that Win 2000 or XP were a pita to use multi-user, and horribly insecure if used as admin.

2: I developed a real distaste for software that came with an unfair license. This included the OS itself and most of the software available for it. The user is treated as a resource (marketable info, access to user's PC) and a potential thief....not good customer relations. On a practical level it makes sharing software either illegal or impossible and often makes re-installs far more difficult than they need be.

3: I liked the free software alternatives more and more, even as I was running Windows. I learned more about how fragile Windows security is and how prevalent malicious software is (and how it's sometimes made with more intelligence than the security tools available for Windows). I was doing a fair amount of PC repairs and upgrades and saw for myself how it got increasingly unusual to find a Win PC that hadn't been compromised. It became obvious that personal firewalls and AV and anti-malware are not a real protection....especially the cracked ones!

4: The more I used Windows the more it seemed complex and difficult. You start with that friendly XP interface but when you need to get serious you encounter the registry....wtf??? Incredibly pointless obscurity and complexity, perfectly ripe for disaster and exploitation.

5: 1-4 are mostly about disatisfaction with Windows, so 5 can be why i stuck with Linux:

I can legally use all the software I want or need, can share that software perfectly legally with anyone I like. I don't need bs like AV slowing down my system. I can run the same base but different desktop environments and window managers on different machines according to their specs and my needs. I can contact developers with suggestions and bug reports and actually get a response and sometimes a friendly dialogue....hey the bugs even get fixed!!!! I feel like this is a human experience, not that I'm some user (potential thief) bothering some bored helpdesk jockey. My computer doesn't report back to some greedy corporation about how it's used and what I do and when I get updates the vendor has to validate itself to me with a key, rather than me have to submit to some ill mannered validation check from them! That's the correct way round, someone tell Bill. Also it's incredible that on the whole the config files in Linux are written in human readable ENGLISH!!!!! It doesn't seem like the easiest OS when you start out (if you come from Windows) but it gets easier because nothing is hidden...you're allowed to learn, it's not a secret.

SunnyRabbiera
February 22nd, 2008, 02:14 AM
My 5 reasons for switching from Windows to Linux

1: I got very frustrated that Win 2000 or XP were a pita to use multi-user, and horribly insecure if used as admin.

Actually 2000 wasnt too bad, XP is more of a time bomb then 2000...
2000 for me was the best windows release, wish they stuck with it.

julian67
February 22nd, 2008, 02:18 AM
Actually 2000 wasnt too bad, XP is more of a time bomb then 2000...
2000 for me was the best windows release, wish they stuck with it.

same model/structure but 2000 has less services I guess.

lnx4me
February 22nd, 2008, 02:24 AM
5. I can build a Wireless Access Point WPA-PSK2 free

4. I can make an Apache Webserver to feed windows users

3. I can make database sever for windows users

2. I can setup a File/Print server without Client Access License.

And the Number 1 reason:

I can build a Firewall, Add an email server, scan for viruses, protect the LAN, Setup the proxy, to Keep the windows systems safe from themselves.

I just Noticed how there are billions of windows systems, its Amazing how few nix servers can protect ecommerce for all of them.

Xavieran
February 22nd, 2008, 02:25 AM

Sure of course they do,sometimes...check out wine...

Hahahahahah...

I have a machine that couldn't run vista in heaven, and yet I can make it look fifty times prettier than vista,and also (if I wanted to which I do not) make it look exactly like vista...

Windows is slow as a dead sloth...really...

My 1300 mhz machine runs 100x faster than my dads 2.2 ghz Intel Dual Core which runs vista...and linux is far more stable...

4. The majority of programs on the market are for Windows, right

Note "on the Market ...there are plenty of FOSS programs and best of all they are free,and open!

Yes they can...

ShodanjoDM
February 22nd, 2008, 02:31 AM
Plus Compiz fusion in my mind is much more stable, less resource demanding then what vista can offer...

Before the Beryl & Compiz re-merged, I once tried installed Beryl on a PIII 600mhz, 256mbRAM + GeForce 4000MX PC just for fun.

I was really surprised to find out the 3D effects actually works.

Try that with Vista.

Midwest-Linux
February 22nd, 2008, 02:43 AM
(Coming from Sinclair ZX81, Commodore 64/128, Amiga, 80x86, Pentium going to Core2Duo/Quad soon)

As for someone who doesn't know nothing about different OS and their advantages ... could you tell me your top 5 reasons for why changing to Ubuntu, please ?

4. Th e majority of programs on the market are for Windows, right ?

1. PC games probably do need Windows...But how many computer users are into gaming anyway? If you "need" Windows...use it for that specific purpose...then go back to Linux for normal everyday internet and email use.

2 . Windows Vista sucks, stick with XP ...if you want the look of Vista without the ...ahem..."issues" that come with that bloated, DRM laden, slow running, high hardware requirement OS, ...then use XP with the Vista transformation pack from major geeks and other places. Looks good, but runs better and faster than Vista.

3. Linux is very stable and safe. Linux runs much faster then Vista and in some well documented cases the drivers for Linux, Ubuntu, Linux Mint and others are much better than for Vista. (Surprise surprise!)

4. The majority of what "programs" ?

5. Many people have woken up to the fact that one no longer needs Windows to do their needed computer functions. In fact some governments and agencies are moving away from proprietary operating systems like Windows.

Witness the growth of Ubuntu, not just in this forum, but also from major manufacturers. Dell, Lenovo, and major retailers like Walmart, Sears, MicroCenter.

At one time the saying "Its a Windows World" was the norm. That saying is slowly but surely going away. No longer must anyone be forced to buy or use a Windows computer as "their only option". No longer does one "need" to spend $200 to $400 on operating systems and software for their computing needs. Those days are gone now.

Yes you "might" still need Windows for a few apps...a good portion here on these forums no longer have any need for Windows or any proprietary program anymore.

No Billions of people can't be wrong, a good portion of them were brainwashed into believing that they needed to use a closed, expensive, bloated, malware and virus prone operating system. many are finally waking up and seeing the light.

Welcome to the 21st Century, close the Windows and "open" the "source".......

Mary.Riley
February 22nd, 2008, 03:02 AM
These are my five reasons:

1. Compiz-Fusion is really, really pretty. But, I prefer it to the Vista interface because it provides a significant amount of functionality that isn't quite as well-implemented anywhere else (though OSX is getting close). For instance, Desktop Cube allows me to increase my organization and maximize screen estate.

2. Package management. I don't want to open the browser to install a program. That's a waste of resources. Apt-get is faster.

3. Lack of malware. I'm downright beligerent on the Internet. I click on all the shiny boxes and free offers, and don't have to run a spyware program. Or be careful at all, for that matter.

4. Significantly better performance in terms of RAM and CPU usage.

5. No activation codes, licenses, calling Microsoft for a key, paying money, Genuine Advantage, Outlook, or Explorer blanking out for 10 seconds when UAC comes up.

saxuntu
February 22nd, 2008, 03:53 AM
Dual boot for awhile and see, but make sure your hardware is compatible first. I get the feeling most people who whine about about ubuntu/linux are frustrated with stuff already documented as problematic...anyway back to on topic.

1. Customizable
2. Mythtv
3. Free (as in money) to download and upgrade!!
4. Free software at my finger tips (repositories)
5. Less viruses, no mal/spyware

3rdalbum
February 22nd, 2008, 04:00 AM
1. The operating system is transparent - I can find out what it's doing and make sure it's doing what I want it to do
2. The whole operating system and Gnome interface makes sense to me
3. I appreciate Free Software as a philosophy
4. I can get new features as soon as they become available, rather than having to wait for months and then pay a company for them.
5. I multi-task a lot. Linux has extremely good multitasking (scheduling) compared to Windows.

AsoSako
February 22nd, 2008, 05:15 AM
1. I love the community.
2. No viruses/spyware
3. It's free
4. Takes much less time to set up and get it completelly working.
5. Most of the software for it is free.

Quillz
February 22nd, 2008, 06:27 AM
1. Wow, you listed two whole games that Linux can play. Yeah, it's certainly time to switch. I guess you could use Cedega, but why would you?
2. You failed to mention that Compiz-Fusion isn't always easy to set up, and it also doesn't always work on every hardware configuration.
3. Linux is more stable and secure, but so is every increasing release of Windows.
4. This is true, but it's hardly objective to say "better." They are just that, alternatives.
5. I suppose this is correct, but not in the way you're implying.

lespaul_rentals
February 22nd, 2008, 07:54 AM
If you are going to give Linux for a spin, I would recommend trying openSUSE 10.3 first. It is very polished and quite stable compared to other distros, and the menu is the closest thing I've found to Vista's menu.

articpenguin
February 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
since most of the software under ubuntu is GPL you have the 4 freedoms

* The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
* The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
* The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
* The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

Achetar
February 23rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
3 letters: USP
Ubuntu System Panel is a different menu than the default one. It can be customized to look like XP/Vista's start menu using the guide found here (http://xubuntu.wordpress.com/2007/07/12/howto-usp-setup-tips-and-tricks/)

Achetar
February 23rd, 2008, 05:11 PM
As far as games go:
Battle for Wesnoth
AssaultCube
Unreal Tournament
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Saurbraten (Cube2)
Cube
Wine will run many, many games. Especially FPS's.

To tell you the truth, I am building a gaming machine right now (Quad Core, SLI Graphics, etc.) and I am going to install Windows on it for 3 reasons and 3 reasons only:
1. Supreme Commander
2. Tiberium Wars
3 Red Alert 3

When Wine gets to the point I can flawlessy run any new game coming out it Ubuntu, or even with minor flaws (twitchy menu, -5fps, less AA) I would scrap Windows without a second thought!!!!! (I would of course keep the CD, in case a new game came out that wouldn't run in WINE)

fatality_uk
February 23rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
1. Wow, you listed two whole games that Linux can play. Yeah, it's certainly time to switch. I guess you could use Cedega, but why would you?
2. You failed to mention that Compiz-Fusion isn't always easy to set up, and it also doesn't always work on every hardware configuration.
3. Linux is more stable and secure, but so is every increasing release of Windows.
4. This is true, but it's hardly objective to say "better." They are just that, alternatives.
5. I suppose this is correct, but not in the way you're implying.

1. ETQW is a recent release and if you spent less time knocking the titles available for Linux, and spent more time investigating the options, you would find a whole slew of releases that can match the majority of commercial releases

2. Sometimes it isn't. However, the power required to run Aero under Vista is a magnitude higher than Compiz-Fusion.

3. If you HONESTLY believe that, then you don't read with open eyes any of the information posted about either XP or Vista. Have you read any of the information about the upcoming Vista service pack? The SP that STOPS DEAD software LEGALLY bought by Windows users. These Windows users are being told my MS to speak to their software providers to make THEM sort out the problem that the MS SP will produce. Oh and have you never tried copying files in Vista? Seems to take a long time doesn't it.

4. Agreed

5. You don't ask him/her to expand on his proposition, YOU make the assumption about his/her implication and comment on that!

jespdj
February 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM

1. Indeed, it looks like if gaming is one of your primary goals, you're better off with Windows.
2. Ubuntu's user interface is completely customizable, and with Compiz Fusion you have more cool effects than with Windows.
3. Ignorance does not seem like a very good reason to use Windows to me.
4. There are thousands of very good free programs available for Linux.
5. Yes, they can. Just because a large number of people believe in something, that doesn't make that something true or right.

picpak
February 23rd, 2008, 09:12 PM

This is one of the more legit reasons, IMO. But there's always a chance that it can run under Wine. If your computer is nice and speedy, why not try setting up Windows inside Ubuntu with VirtualBox (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=690713)?

Entirely subjective. Vista's theme is nice...but if you give Ubuntu's default a chance, you might grow to like it too. And if you still don't (which is perfectly understandable) you can completely customize it, too. Take my desktop (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3929194&postcount=345), for instance.

You can leave Ubuntu running for days. Even weeks. Even months. Heck, servers are left running for years. The only time you really need to reboot is when the update manager tells you to.

The default Ubuntu setup is, IMO, about average as far as speed goes. There's always Xubuntu (http://xubuntu.org/) if you want a speed increase.

Yes, they are. And admittedly, there are some very good Windows-only programs. But again, see point 1.

They can be when only one company gives them the choice.

Presto123
February 23rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
I don't understand some of these posts about "stick to Windows if you want games". Yeah, maybe if you want to buy a whole bunch of up-to-date ones with the exception of Unreal Tournament and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

Fact is, they have come up with some great FREE games (Some of which are also installable on Windows).

1. The Cube games (Assault Cube is great and Cube Saurbraaten is also)
2. Chromium (A bit retro, but a cool shooter)
3. Tremulous ;) FPS
4. Padworld
5. Torcs (Racing game)
6. Glest (RPG...great graphics)
7. Open Arena (not many online players, though)

Just take a look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Games
and http://linuxgames07.blogspot.com/2007/11/top-ubuntu-linux-games.html

ICUR2Ys
February 23rd, 2008, 11:01 PM
I am not going to repeat what has been stated so many times. I don't remember seeing this but I may have missed it.

Using linux os gives me so much pleasure that I can say that I have a lot of FUN even when not gaming.

Daveski
February 24th, 2008, 12:34 AM

You have a very similar history to me. Did you tinker with the 81 / 64 / Amiga etc. or did you just load programs / games?

Sounds like Windows works well for you, so I would say you have no reason to change from that unless you are interested in finding out what other choices you have. As has been mentioned here in other posts, Linux is mostly about freedom and choice and if you stick with Open Source stuff you have complete freedom and the happy feeling that nobody and no company is 'controlling' you.

If you don't like the Windows interface you COULD write your own, but you are basically stuck with the choice Microsoft give you. If you don't like something in Linux you can change the source and recompile.

cardinals_fan
February 24th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Xfce (http://www.xfce.org/)
Control
Command line
Conky
The ability to build a custom system

Anyway, I'm more of a Zenwalk (http://www.zenwalk.org/) guy right now... Xubuntu is great for beginners, though.

Chipter
February 24th, 2008, 02:30 AM
1. Open Source and FREE
2. amazing community. If you have a problem with anything just post about it here and more often than not you get help really quickly, as apposed to calling MS and being on the phone with someone who troubleshoots from a book and often cannot help you (they charge you anyway tho).
3. Lightweight. Doesn't bog down your system with unneeded programs.
4. Secure! No need for antivirus.
5. Can run most windows-based programs through WINE. But more importantly, there's (more often than not) an open source version of pretty much any program you'd use on Windows. They're free and just as good (if not better).

Kabezon
February 24th, 2008, 02:32 AM
1. Always been free, will most likely stay that way forever.
2. Desktop completely customizable and way better than Vista's ( Compiz Fusion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ImW0-MgR8I) )
3. More stable. Virus/trojans/spyware/malware/adware and others, forget about them. Forget formatting, deleting old registries, defragmenting, etc.
4. All the windows applications you might think of, there are free ones for Linux that do the same job, some even better; for example Amarok, which I consider to be the best organized music player ever made.
5. The philosophy behind it.

drarem
February 24th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Why? I want to learn new things, and linux is destined to be ruler =)

Alot of programs I don't have to purchase, like an iso extracter/viewer for those huge disk images like ubuntu 7.10; don't have to purchase Partition Magic, don't have to run antivirus unless I want to protect my networked ******* puters and friends, or defrag my harddrive ever.

itsupportnotes
February 24th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I just made post about switching to Ubuntu. The only real thing that you can't do on linux that you can do on a windows box is play games and run software designed for windows. With that said there is something called WINE with is some sort of windows emulator. I have not yet tried it so I really can't comment.

I have most of the software I needed was installed from the start. As I needed additional software I could find install it on the fly, not once requiring a restart. Imagine if Microsoft's Add Remove CPL could actually download and install working software. You have to try it:popcorn:

Cov(enant)
February 24th, 2008, 03:42 AM
You have a very similar history to me. Did you tinker with the 81 / 64 / Amiga etc. or did you just load programs / games?

I never got really deep into it although had learned the basics which was much more than most of my friends at the time.

The ZX81 came out in 1981 with 1KB RAM (I had the 16KB extension), whas pretty much a joke: black & white blocks graphics (res: 64x44) ... and very, very slow.

Forgot to mention the Texas Instruments TI-99/4 ... I still remember the adverts on the television about it, trying to suggest this computer as a muti talent for serious and leasure users, that was the time when the ball got rolling.

There were plenty of magazines offering to type pages of basic program language into the computer - games of course.
I always had trouble with spelling mistakes, but I'd say that was my way to learn commands and their effects ... very interesting.

Having seen the amazing Commodore VC20 (20 characters per line) and later the Commodore 64 (40 characters) from friends at school, I soon had one and it was the most personal experience I had with computers until today, with its full screen editor ... ready to rumble straight away by just switching on the power button.
And the storage device was the legendary Datasette, a tape recorder.

Had seen the Atari XL800 at the time with same spec and so much cheaper, but I didn't like the user interface at all ... well it then disappeard suddenly from the market one day.

And then came the Amiga 1000 out in 1985.
The magazines are very good in driving you nuts with the latest technology and it really was a considerable difference to the established VC-64.
I was very please with the quality but in terms of usage of OS and becoming personal with the computer, it was for me personally a step backwards.
I started missing my good old VC-64.

Due to my involvement with PCs at work I got an 80486 DX2-66MHz one day, with 4 MBytes RAM. Windows 3.11 was the cutting edge.

I'm fascinated about computer technology, but I was never happy with all the inadequacies. Too many limitations as the memory for example, a very expensive component at the time ... was always insufficient.
Not to mention the burdens from the past carried forward like the 640KB barrier (and so many other flaws) in order to stay backwards compatible.

Only end of the 90s I got a new PC and enjoyed the upcoming of the internet. Gosh, how exciting was it to connect to the world for the first time via 56K modem ... and expensive too, hehe.
I used the chatrooms of AOL so much that I collected online buddies as a new hobby. Then I got to know a lady from London better, who one day invited me to come to London to visit her ('m from a different country).
What can I say ... today I live in London because we moved together, hahaha ... oh dear.

Doom, Interstate 76 & Quake II were games evolving strong in 3D capeability.

Having neglected PCs completely due to my personal circumstances from 2002 onwards, I only got hooked up (again) end of 2006. A neighbour of mine asked me to help her with her PC & printer problem, and after I had sorted it she gave me her spare, old Pentium II PC as a present. Well, that was interesting but I then needed to update myself with a better one. Got a TFT for the first time ... that is soo cool dude - compared to the chunky Monitors ! ... I realized that we've come a long way.

The performance of my second hand NEC Powermate VL4 is not bad. It's a Pentium 4 / 2.8GHz / 768MB RAM with Windows XP ... at the moment ;o)

A game has made me addicted again: Halo - Combat Evolved ... I spend too much time playing it online.

I've saved enough cash now and am planning to get a Monster PC soon to be equipped for the current generation of PC games, but unfortunately is the CPU of my choice in very short supply at the moment. The Wolfdale E8400 ... the Yorkfield 9450 is not out yet :o

Well, regarding the OS I only have dugged a little bit deeper these days and what I found was very impressive already.
As a windows only user I heard about the existance of alternatives years ago but TBH the brainwash strategy of MS & Co worked very good with me.

Somebody in this thread used the expression "the philosophy behind the OS" as one of the reasons for him to use Ubuntu. I think that's a nice thing to say.
About the many questions for someone who puts his foot on unknown territory, I would like to ask for your opinions ... in a different thread maybe. Some difficult questions too.

Thank you very much again for all your inputs, I feel comfortable in here already :) ... you made it very easy for me though.

FranMichaels
February 24th, 2008, 04:47 AM
1. For me, it was definitely the philosophy. Microsoft, pretty much at the turn of the millennium began locking things up.

Palladium (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2002/jul02/07-01palladium.mspx)

They may not use the term anymore, but you can see how far they've come

A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection (http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html)

Big turn off for me.

2. Don't need to defrag
3. No spyware/viruses to deal with
4. Super easy installing of packages en masse
5. Sane permissions management

So there ya go. I could make the list much longer... ;)

Anyway, just curious, are you interested in Virtual machines? Many of the systems you used can be run just fine under Ubuntu.

A little screencap below that should look familiar :KS

EdThaSlayer
February 24th, 2008, 05:30 AM
My reasons for using the Ubuntu-KDE variant are:
1. It detects all the hardware out of the box
2. Installing applications is much easier
3. You can customize it quite a lot!
4. The community is nice, I like learning from the forums and hanging out at the cafe!
5. Every 6 months there is a huge update! It changes rapidly, I like to see something develop!

bonus *it's opensource, and opensource rocks :D *

Daveski
February 24th, 2008, 07:22 PM
The ZX81 came out in 1981 with 1KB RAM (I had the 16KB extension), whas pretty much a joke: black & white blocks graphics (res: 64x44) ... and very, very slow.

Sure a joke now, but at the time, and for the money, this was the real kick that got home enthusiasts into computing. I have very fond memories of my '81.

I also had time on a TI-99, Dragon 32 (and 64), Oric 1, Atmos, Electron, BBC, Spectrum, C64 and C128, Atari ST and the amazing Amiga.

And then came the Amiga 1000 out in 1985.
The magazines are very good in driving you nuts with the latest technology and it really was a considerable difference to the established VC-64.
I was very please with the quality but in terms of usage of OS and becoming personal with the computer, it was for me personally a step backwards.
I started missing my good old VC-64.

The Amiga was a very different beast. This was a multimedia machine before the term was coined, and before anyone could really think of a use for that technology. AmigaOS is still one of the most amazing things I have ever seen - full pre-emptive multitasking with a WIMP GUI - all from a tiny 3.5" floppy disc. For me, this was the next step up in home computing and the games had spectacular graphics and sound (although the SID sound chip in the old '64 was and still is worshiped by many).

I'm fascinated about computer technology, but I was never happy with all the inadequacies. Too many limitations as the memory for example, a very expensive component at the time ... was always insufficient.
Not to mention the burdens from the past carried forward like the 640KB barrier (and so many other flaws) in order to stay backwards compatible.

Well now computing power and resources are throw-away cheap. We all take digital sound and 'true-colour' graphics for granted. Any PC these days is capable of running full-motion video at full screen.

Well, regarding the OS I only have dugged a little bit deeper these days and what I found was very impressive already.
As a windows only user I heard about the existance of alternatives years ago but TBH the brainwash strategy of MS & Co worked very good with me.

The amazing thing about Linux / BSD and to some degree Mac OSX is that they have history dating back more than 30 years. With a little knowledge of Linux you can start to see how the internet was constructed; how email actually works; how multi-user systems work (for instance they can't require a reboot each time something changes); how simple tools combined together can perform complex tasks. It is this facet of computing that facinates me, and this is why although I have a great deal of knowledge about the Windows world, Linux is the basic tool needed to progress my deeper understanding of IT.

About the many questions for someone who puts his foot on unknown territory, I would like to ask for your opinions ... in a different thread maybe. Some difficult questions too.

I am sure there are many people here just waiting to have a crack at answering your questions. It seems that communities like this feed off of knowledge exchange.

Thank you very much again for all your inputs, I feel comfortable in here already :) ... you made it very easy for me though.

I hope you enjoy your stay, and I hope you continue to learn.

CaptainCabinet
February 24th, 2008, 09:00 PM
1) It's 100% free.
2) I can use my computer my way now without the restrictions of windows.
3) It looks great.
4) It's fully customisable.
5) It has the best community I've ever seen.

gletob
February 24th, 2008, 09:53 PM
1. it's free
2. I don't have to sell my soul by accepting EULAs
3. I have a large package repo with thousands of FREE programs
4. No Viruses
5. If I don't like it I can change it

6. I can do this

dada1958
February 24th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I never used Windows at home but I switched from Mac OS X over two years ago and Ubuntu

gives me freedom
is very easy to obtain, within an hour I have a CD
it's friendly
has an active community
it works very well

anaconda
February 24th, 2008, 11:28 PM
1)
4) The software(like blender) is not only free but also more powerful than some paid-for apps

tell me about it. At our work we have several licenses of 3D MAX:s and they cost more than 3000€/license..

BUT I and some of my colleagues think the (free) blender is better!!

Cov(enant)
February 25th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Sure a joke now, but at the time ...

Yeah, that's right actually. Maybe I just felt embarressed to admit to have ever fancied this gadget while my mobile phone / cellular today has 1000 x better spec.

I also had time on a TI-99, Dragon 32 ...

Yeah now you remind me on the ZX Spectrum ... and the Atari 520 ST with black & white monitor, had it for a few weeks before I changed to Amiga 1000. Problem was I hardly knew anybody with ST for software exchange, but the Amiga was coming on strong.

A pitty the CPU Motorola 68000 series disappeared. I remember to have read that it was more advanced than Intel's 80xxx development at the time, when compared.

And a friend of mine who was on the way for his degree in computer science, got an Acorn Archimedes end of the 80s one day. Was pretty expensive and had a RISC OS.

We all take digital sound and 'true-colour' graphics for granted.

That's so true. Think of all the kiddos who grow up with X-Box and Playstation. Imagine we gave them an Atari 2600 now, hahaha.
Not to forget ... the fast development of the PCs. I don't wanna go back to an 80286 with green/black monitor.

Daveski
February 25th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Maybe I just felt embarressed to admit to have ever fancied this gadget while my mobile phone / cellular today has 1000 x better spec.

WAY more than 1000 x

A pitty the CPU Motorola 68000 series disappeared. I remember to have read that it was more advanced than Intel's 80xxx development at the time, when compared.

Indeed, this was an awesome CPU. But like with Betamax and HD-DVD, it is the market share not the technical ability that wins in the end. Although the Macs used the 68K range of processors for many years.

And a friend of mine who was on the way for his degree in computer science, got an Acorn Archimedes end of the 80s one day. Was pretty expensive and had a RISC OS.

This is spooky. I too had a friend with an Archie and it blew most other machines of the era away. The ARM chips and RISC OS still live on in one form or another today, but it was a shame this was so expensive and it was aimed towards the educational market like the BBC before it. Typical of the UK I'm afraid :-(

Think of all the kiddos who grow up with X-Box and Playstation. Imagine we gave them an Atari 2600 now, hahaha.

Try to imagine what things will be like 20 years from now...

init1
February 25th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Although I don't actually run Ubuntu anymore, the reasons should still apply:
1. Free
2. Fast
3. Powerful
4. Secure
5. Fun
Linux is fine for gaming in my opinion. Of course, that's because I'm a Dungeon Crawl fan :D

3rdalbum
February 25th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Coven(ant), you're welcome.

If yout thought a pre-emptive multitasking GUI operating system on a 3.5inch floppy in 1985 is amazing; Apple had the same thing on a 5.25inch floppy in 1982. It was the Apple Lisa.

The original Macintosh in 1984 used 128 kilobytes of RAM. It really makes me wonder why Vista Home Premium requires 7,812x the memory. That is truly obscene.

Josdell
February 25th, 2008, 06:43 AM

if you ask me leave gaming to the consoles. Vista sucks to me. If you feel noobish in Ubuntu, learn. Windows programs almost always have a linux equivalent. And yes billions of people can be wrong, like all the people that believe America is not an imperialist country(sorry couldn't help saying that I'm way to Political for my own good)

timjayko
February 25th, 2008, 06:48 AM
1. Sharing ideas is fun

2. Meeting new people with similar interests is fun

3. Learning how a computer works is fun

4. Not following the status quo is fun

5. Tux the Penguin is the best ******* mascot logo of all time!

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/5210/****20the20system3lm.jpg

tashmooclam
February 25th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I share the reasons all stated previously, but I have another one that is probably not so acceptable. I love it when I start up this thing and someone sees it, and can't recognize what is going on. I like using something that most people don't know about, but will know about soon. I'm no Linux expert, but I love the novelty factor of Ubuntu.

Kabezon
February 28th, 2008, 11:10 AM
1. Sharing ideas is fun

2. Meeting new people with similar interests is fun

3. Learning how a computer works is fun

4. Not following the status quo is fun

5. Tux the Penguin is the best ******* mascot logo of all time!

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/5210/****20the20system3lm.jpg
lol I'd never seen that image before, thanks for posting it :P

I share the reasons all stated previously, but I have another one that is probably not so acceptable. I love it when I start up this thing and someone sees it, and can't recognize what is going on. I like using something that most people don't know about, but will know about soon. I'm no Linux expert, but I love the novelty factor of Ubuntu.
So true, haha xD And then when they are impressed about how smoothly everything runs, and when you show them the Compiz Fusion functions, they get all exited and want it, at least my friends do, but then they find out they can't game a lot and they change their minds :P

hessiess
February 28th, 2008, 11:37 AM
1. Blender works better on linux
2. games are boring and counter productive
3. linux is free
4. linux can run for an indefanate amount of time without crashing
5. It is non standerd. so you haft to solve problems yourself

hyper_ch
February 28th, 2008, 01:39 PM
If you have to ask why you should use Ubuntu/Linux, then it is not for you.

Daveski
February 28th, 2008, 03:12 PM
If yout thought a pre-emptive multitasking GUI operating system on a 3.5inch floppy in 1985 is amazing; Apple had the same thing on a 5.25inch floppy in 1982. It was the Apple Lisa.

You are correct, although I have never had the pleasure of using one of these beasts - but with a $10,000 price tag it is no real surprise.

L815
February 29th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Top 5 reasons for me:
1. No stupid registration crap during installations
2. FREE
3. Help (forums/chat) actually feels like a community unlike MS forums
4. Unlimited options
5. User's ideas are important to the development
(6):Has everything I need and more