PDA

View Full Version : Donating *old* Ubuntu live CDs

conphara
February 21st, 2008, 04:12 PM
Has anyone had much luck in donating Ubuntu CDs to local places in order for them to pass the CDs on?
My only personal experience has been rather negative, so far.
I talked to some people at the local library and asked them if they were interested in passing on my old Ubuntu cds (12 different Ubuntu/Kubuntu)to people who might show some interest. I invisioned something rather passive - having them on the counter and if people wanted to know more the library people could pass them a cd and show them the website.
After explaining them what was on the cds, they referred me to another employee who actually knew about Ubuntu. She said that her husband had tried Ubuntu on their home pc but found it "way too difficult" and gave up early in the process. After that she became rather arrogant, refused the idea and implied that they would never embark on such a small project. People would come back to them and complain, which is plausible enough. But still.

Next time I'll try the local Internet cafe. Thinking about it, they might show the same attitude.

Has any public place received any cds you guys have handed out?

aysiu
February 21st, 2008, 04:19 PM
There was no reason for her to be arrogant about it, but she has a point. Random people taking Ubuntu CDs will just lead to frustration. Who knows if they have the chops to install and configure an operating system themselves? Who knows if they have Linux-compatible hardware? It could be a recipe for disaster.

LaRoza
February 21st, 2008, 04:19 PM
Try schools, or local colleges (USA meaning of college).

I have given many disks away at my college, and was often asked for them.

For the library, it may be best to see if there exists Ubuntu books, and ask if you can leave them by/in the book.

ezphilosophy
February 21st, 2008, 05:17 PM
Who knows if they have the chops to install and configure an operating system themselves?

Exactly. I don't think it would be much different than handing out Windows CDs. The average user has no experience with "installing the OS" not to mention the large portion who don't know what an OS is!
It is a good idea though and there might be some situations/venues where it could work.

laxmanb
February 21st, 2008, 05:28 PM
Just recycle the CDs. They grind them up and they end up in the material used to make roads.

metallicamaster3
February 21st, 2008, 05:47 PM
I keep them. I like collected outdated stuff such as these.

Plus, when a time comes around where the latest Ubuntu wont work on a PC, you might want to try older versions, no?

You never know :)

richard.stallman
February 21st, 2008, 07:14 PM
There was no reason for her to be arrogant about it, but she has a point. Random people taking Ubuntu CDs will just lead to frustration. Who knows if they have the chops to install and configure an operating system themselves? Who knows if they have Linux-compatible hardware? It could be a recipe for disaster.
instead first create interest in Ubuntu, then provide cd and then clarify doubts.

ur method will create "unwanted" -ve publicity.

richard.stallman
February 21st, 2008, 07:17 PM
Has anyone had much luck in donating Ubuntu CDs to local places in order for them to pass the CDs on?
My only personal experience has been rather negative, so far.
I talked to some people at the local library and asked them if they were interested in passing on my old Ubuntu cds (12 different Ubuntu/Kubuntu)to people who might show some interest. I invisioned something rather passive - having them on the counter and if people wanted to know more the library people could pass them a cd and show them the website.
After explaining them what was on the cds, they referred me to another employee who actually knew about Ubuntu. She said that her husband had tried Ubuntu on their home pc but found it "way too difficult" and gave up early in the process. After that she became rather arrogant, refused the idea and implied that they would never embark on such a small project. People would come back to them and complain, which is plausible enough. But still.

Next time I'll try the local Internet cafe. Thinking about it, they might show the same attitude.

Has any public place received any cds you guys have handed out?
when i'm spending time with my friends, i casually speaks about
no need of antivirus
fast
v.good support
less problems,
open-source
free,etc.,

i first create interest. when i carry my ubuntu ShipIt! CD or install ubuntu on my college system, my friends come and ask me about it! Then I sell the idea to them.

that too if ur friend is on the lookout for a good linux distro, suggest ubuntu!!!

richard.stallman
February 21st, 2008, 07:18 PM
I keep them. I like collected outdated stuff such as these.

Plus, when a time comes around where the latest Ubuntu wont work on a PC, you might want to try older versions, no?

You never know :)
irrelevant reply

richard.stallman
February 21st, 2008, 07:19 PM

I have given many disks away at my college, and was often asked for them.

For the library, it may be best to see if there exists Ubuntu books, and ask if you can leave them by/in the book.
good idea.

lespaul_rentals
February 21st, 2008, 07:24 PM
Just recycle the CDs. They grind them up and they end up in the material used to make roads.

:lolflag:

Why ask? Just do it anyway! :)

forrestcupp
February 21st, 2008, 07:25 PM

What is the non-USA meaning of college?

LaRoza
February 21st, 2008, 07:26 PM
What is the non-USA meaning of college?

It is similar to a USA high school, for teens 14 to 17.

Het Irv
February 21st, 2008, 07:28 PM
Learn something new every day (but almost never from class)

laxmanb
February 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM

Well it means the same as a USA college in India.

TorqueyPete
February 21st, 2008, 07:40 PM
Two answers really.
I've already lost my only live CD. :lolflag: No, really, two months after purchase!

And, why push the old discs, when clearly the latest would be more viable.

But let's not forget the old maxim , "There's no such thing as a free lunch!" So everyone believes that you're profiting in some way even though you're not asking for their money.
Schools and colleges sounds a better idea.
And, inspired by this thread, I just might buy up a batch of CDs from the shop if a local college where a friend goes states an interest.:)