PDA

View Full Version : Troubles playing C&C gold in linux

kirbyboy
February 19th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Hi, now that EA is giving free the Command & Conquer (w95 version), i tried to play it in linux and i had some problems:
1 I tried wine, but crashes after 30 minutes or so.
2 I saw freera in the web, but is only for red alert.
3 I saw freeCnC in the web, i tried to compile it(i had the sdl libraries needed) but there were errors in the code and i couldn't compile it to test it. The last version is from 2004(i think).

I would prefer to play it with freeCnC but i could play it with wine if it didn't crash, could somebody help me?

yabbadabbadont
February 19th, 2008, 11:09 AM
The WINE application database has some various hints and comments on this game.

Appdb entry (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=246&iTestingId=18949)

kirbyboy
February 19th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I tried with w98 and my computer is not multicore, but i'll try it with the last version and mounting the iso instead of a cd, but, how could i test it with freecnc?(errors during compiling)

kirbyboy
February 20th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Hi, i installed the last wine version and did all that said in wine web page, and worked better but after a time it crashes.
I used furious iso mount to mount an iso like a cd-rom, wine detected it like a cd-rom, but the game not so i have to burn the iso in a cd to play.

I'm really interested in testing freeCnC, some help?

DavidFromCanada
March 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
Freecnc has been long dead so support will be limited, wine is your best chance. You could try dosbox also. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get C&C to regonize my mounted ISO, since my laptop has no CD drive. But I'm being bombarded with problems.

kirbyboy
March 24th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I'm using furious iso mount, but it doesn't detect it like a normal drive, i must burn the iso and use the cd-rom drive.

honeybear
June 12th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Freecnc has been long dead so support will be limited, wine is your best chance. You could try dosbox also. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get C&C to regonize my mounted ISO, since my laptop has no CD drive. But I'm being bombarded with problems.

it is sad that there are no ports to play using a tiny linux program

look :

doom: you can play the real one using linux
ultima 7 : you can play the real one using linux