PDA

View Full Version : wine is not owned by you , err msg

ronio
February 19th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I installed the latest WINE via the package manager.
I have a Windows game installed.
I placed it at /usr/share/apps/EASports/

However, when I try to execute the game, I get the following message:

wine: /home/ron/.wine is not owned by you

i searched the forum, however, i must be the only loser that can't even get wine to fire up :)

Ferrat
February 19th, 2008, 08:01 AM
sounds like you started up wine with a sudo, this makes the .wine folder a root owned folder = no good

open a terminal
type in

sudo nautilus

got to /home/ron

press Ctrl + H (this will show hidden files and folders)

find the folder .wine

remove it

close down the filebrowser

in the terminal now type

winecfg

only that, nothing else and the wine cfg should start after building you a new .wine dir :)

Sukarn
February 19th, 2008, 11:39 AM
You could do the above, or you could type this in the terminal -

sudo chown -R ron:ron ~/.wine

The above command will change the ownership of the .wine folder to the user "ron" and group "ron"

Alex14
December 24th, 2009, 02:58 PM
hi, im pretty new to ubuntu and wine and have the same problem with wine telling me that i do not own /home/alexander/.wine.
i tried both ways posted above, but none of them worked. when i tried the sudo chown -R alexander:alexander ~/.wine nothing happend at all. it wrote what i just typed in and that was it. please help me i have used hours on this problem!

Sathallrin
December 24th, 2009, 04:49 PM
@Alex: can you post the output of
ls -al ~ | grep wine
That will show the current permissions of the .wine folder

Drastic2010
May 21st, 2010, 08:18 PM
Kind of an old topic i see, but i am having this issue now too. Here is the output for
ls -al ~ | grep wine

drwxr-xr-x 4 cjoyner cjoyner 4096 2010-05-21 14:30 .wine
drwxr-xr-x 3 cjoyner cjoyner 4096 2010-05-08 01:17 .winetrickscache

Thanks and hopefully can resolve this issue.

Sukarn
May 23rd, 2010, 06:57 PM
Kind of an old topic i see, but i am having this issue now too. Here is the output for
ls -al ~ | grep wine

drwxr-xr-x 4 cjoyner cjoyner 4096 2010-05-21 14:30 .wine
drwxr-xr-x 3 cjoyner cjoyner 4096 2010-05-08 01:17 .winetrickscache

Thanks and hopefully can resolve this issue.

Hey Drastic2010,

Just to make sure that the permissions are set correctly, I would ask you to run the command I mentioned above once on your own computer.

I am assuming that your username is cjoyner, so, based on that, this is the command you would have to type -

sudo chown -R cjoyner:cjoyner ~/.wine

Try running it once and then check whether that fixes it for you.

zelrikriando
March 30th, 2011, 02:08 AM
I am having the same issue also, none of the above works, the only way to have access to .wine for me is to do it as su.

cwwilson721
March 30th, 2011, 03:21 AM
I am having the same issue also, none of the above works, the only way to have access to .wine for me is to do it as su.
I'll bet that 90% of the above issues were caused by the posters RUNNING WINE AT SOME POINT AS SU.

Don't do it.

Never run wine as the super-user!

You are as vulnerable as a typical Windows user. Security, file permissions, folder permissions, executing files w/root permissions, virus/malware (Yes, wine can run BAD JUJU stuff as SU, and since 99% of users NEVER remove "non-windows" drives in winecfg, that exposes your ENTIRE system to the woes of MS Windows virus/malware. Since you are running as su, EVERY FILE ON YOUR COMPUTER IS AT RISK.)

Don't do it.

EVER

matuskap
July 10th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Well now i have the same problem and it started just after upgrade to 10.10. I guess im going to remove and install it again to avoid any problems... to be honest, there enough pure-wine crap to be fixed while trying to run games without having to deal with this kind of stuff.