PDA

View Full Version : [Idea] WineBase

jamyskis
February 16th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I've been playing around for a while with the idea of creating a Python-based GUI for Ubuntu that makes identifying and installing software that works under WINE easier. (I have games specifically in mind, as 95% of productivity needs are already covered by native software).

Any defects that the game has could be listed in a README displayed after installation or fixed automatically by the scripts.

The database could be stored in XML form and updated by a script that connects every time the GUI is started to show new supported applications (or even broken ones).

I know all this sounds like a rip-off of Crossover, although I would the goal here is to prevent people whining that "X and X" game doesn't work under WINE.

What does everyone think?

derrekito
February 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM
You are late.

http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/
-Derrek

hyperair
February 16th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Something like that is already in production. Take a look at PlayOnLinux: http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2008/01/playonlinux.html

EDIT: I see someone's posted Wine doors before me. Wine doors provides repositories to download and automatically install software, but I don't think allows you to install software from disks. PlayOnLinux does, but doesn't provide the repository thing Wine-doors provides.

Resonance378
February 16th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Perhaps you will find yourself contributing to either or both of the before mentioned packages. However, if you feel your idea is superior to either then by all means I recommend forging ahead regardless of what others tell you has been done before.

:KS

derrekito
February 16th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Perhaps you will find yourself contributing to either or both of the before mentioned packages. However, if you feel your idea is superior to either then by all means I recommend forging ahead regardless of what others tell you has been done before.

:KS

Nicely said, and good luck to the original poster.

jamyskis
February 16th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Both look interesting - I'll certainly be looking at contributing to PlayOnLinux, although the idea of a predefined compatibility database seems to be missing.

I'll take a deeper look...