PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft II

mistaWAC
February 14th, 2008, 06:55 PM
So I looked around on the forums and couldnt really find anything that applied to my situation. Im running a dual boot between XP Pro with every new update as well as Ubuntu 7.10. I installed Warcraft III and The Frozen Throne onto the Windows partition while in XP and tested it - works fine. I now have WINE installed and here is how I atmpted to start W3:TFT:

>> Navigate to the dos_devices folder in my .wine folder
>> Navigated to the Warcraft III folder in Program Files (the D: points to the windowsxp partition which I have mounted here)
>> I attempt to start Warcraft III.exe or Frozen Throne.exe and they both freeze at the splash screen giving some weird errors in the terminal

err:ole:CoCreateInstance apartment not initialised
fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x34f3f8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x34f7d0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x34f3dc,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16
fixme:msg:pack_message msg 14 (WM_ERASEBKGND) not supported yet
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 18 (X_ChangeProperty)
Resource id in failed request: 0x3c00003
Serial number of failed request: 93
Current serial number in output stream: 102
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 10 (X_UnmapWindow)
Resource id in failed request: 0x3800001
Serial number of failed request: 41
Current serial number in output stream: 45

Any help on setting up W3 with this situation please?

Alpha7
February 14th, 2008, 07:18 PM
My thought would be that need to install WC3 from inside of Ubuntu with wine so it can be recognized as a program with wine correctly and written to the registry. Just trying to run the game doesn't do this as far as I know.

Sugi
February 14th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Your title reads as "Warcraft II" not warcraft 3, because frozen throne is warcraft 3. I don't think you meant dark portal. did you?

Anyways, Warcraft 3 broke after wine version 0.9.51 (anything before should work, but you need to use 0.9.51)
(these versions do not work with Warcraft 3 (0.9.52, 0.9.53, 0.9.54, 0.9.55)

You can either remove wine and install 0.9.51 (it's tested to work. it works for me under 0.9.51)
$sudo apt-get remove wine
go to winehq website and download 0.9.51
http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html

or

you can also consider installing playonlinux.com I am currently using it for all my games that require older version of wine.
http://www.playonlinux.com

Sugi

FrozenFox
February 14th, 2008, 08:11 PM
(these versions do not work with Warcraft 3 (0.9.52, 0.9.53, 0.9.54, 0.9.55)

Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne with the latest patch works just fine for me on 0.9.55, including netplay..

Sugi
February 14th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I have read 0.9.51 was ideal for best performance. What version of Warcraft 3 & Frozen Throne are you using?

Sugi

mistaWAC
February 14th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Im going to try installing it via WINE rather than running it from my XP partition. What the fellow up top said about that makes sense. Ill keep yall posted..

And thanks a ton for the help..

FrozenFox
February 15th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I have read 0.9.51 was ideal for best performance. What version of Warcraft 3 & Frozen Throne are you using?

Sugi

For performance that works just as well as anything for me, I used wine 0.9.55, wc3:ft 1.21b, and add -opengl to the end of the command or shortcut to load the game. IE, the shortcut in my start menu is:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/fox/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\Frozen Throne.exe" -opengl

Of course,
wine "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\Frozen Throne.exe" -opengl

will do the same thing if you don't have multiple wine copy thingos laying around.

The only glitch i have is that the brightness or gamma or whatever won't change, but that's a minor issue.

P.S., Sugi: Is that signature supposed to be "all but one ARE" linux? ie there are 4 linux machines and 1 non-linux machine? That's a little strange for a signature if you meant as it says right now. :)