PDA

View Full Version : Enable embedding flash in signatures?

LukeCarrier
February 13th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Sorry if I sound a bit noobish, I don't use vBulletin myself so I wouldn't know about its security issues, but could we have the ability to easily embed .swf files in signatures?

I've just setup a useful Ubuntu news ticker, gone to embed it in my signature and found that the feature wasn't available.

There's a link in my sig or you can click here to see the dynamic ticker. (http://lukesjunk.x10hosting.com/ticker/ticker_horizontal.swf)

p_quarles
February 13th, 2008, 10:44 PM
From the Forum FAQ (http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=48):

Why can't I use images in my signature? (Why are the staff allowed to use them?)
Banners, flashing images, colorful and hidden links...the list is a long one. This is primarily a tech support forum with a small number of frivolous additions. This was something that people either love or hate, and people looking for tech support answers with as little distraction as possible are among those who hate this feature so we turned it off. The staff of the forums are allowed this as a perk since they are volunteers and receive no payment or other renumeration for their time, efforts and services here.

Ek0nomik
February 13th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Sorry if I sound a bit noobish, I don't use vBulletin myself so I wouldn't know about its security issues, but could we have the ability to easily embed .swf files in signatures?

I've just setup a useful Ubuntu news ticker, gone to embed it in my signature and found that the feature wasn't available.

There's a link in my sig or you can click here to see the dynamic ticker. (http://lukesjunk.x10hosting.com/ticker/ticker_horizontal.swf)

It isn't a wise idea for them to allow Flash in the signatures for a few reasons.

1. Some flash videos can start to hurt your eyes because they are so poorly done.

2. More importantly, someone could make an extremely large flash video, host it on a third party site, and then it could slow down the loading of the web pages for users.

3. Flash can carry sound, and nothing is more annoying then browsing a website when sound starts playing without you "opting-in" to play it.

I don't foresee it happening.

LukeCarrier
February 13th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I suppose I'll have to think up another way to do this then.........my intention was to do something useful and now I've found out I've wasted 3 or 4 hours fiddling with flash...........oh well :(

LaRoza
February 13th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I suppose I'll have to think up another way to do this then.........my intention was to do something useful and now I've found out I've wasted 3 or 4 hours fiddling with flash...........oh well :(

How about links? They are less annoying than moving text, and more useful.

That banner would encourage me to block flash.

LukeCarrier
February 13th, 2008, 10:59 PM
They don't attract attention, thus there's no point......anyway I was going to change the animation to a basic fade, not the type writer junk on there now....

No matter, I'll think about it tomorrow, too tired right now.

LaRoza
February 13th, 2008, 11:02 PM
They don't attract attention, thus there's no point......anyway I was going to change the animation to a basic fade, not the type writer junk on there now....

No matter, I'll think about it tomorrow, too tired right now.

How about coloured links? And yes, they do attract attention, but they don't jump in your face.

LukeCarrier
February 13th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah I suppose I could. I'm trying to get a Ubuntu tutorial site up for the newcomers to the community, just trying to get a domain that actually works for a decent price. I know I'm going off topic now but got any places to look?

LaRoza
February 13th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah I suppose I could. I'm trying to get a Ubuntu tutorial site up for the newcomers to the community, just trying to get a domain that actually works for a decent price. I know I'm going off topic now but got any places to look?

You can use a wiki, wikidot.org and pbwiki.com are good, and easy to use. (And free)

Shazaam
February 14th, 2008, 02:00 AM
For us dialup users Flash and such have made browsing the net a painfully slow process. Please don't force such things on your visitors.

-grubby
February 14th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Excuse me for sounding a bit rude but:

I think that would be a bad idea. A VERY bad idea. I hate having flash to navigate sites already, but if that was allowed in signatures on my favorite website...just..no ... :cry:

PriceChild
February 14th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah I suppose I could. I'm trying to get a Ubuntu tutorial site up for the newcomers to the community, just trying to get a domain that actually works for a decent price. I know I'm going off topic now but got any places to look?Have you taken a look at the plethora of wikis and ubuntu help sites around and thought about whether they could be improved? I know the ubuntu doc team would be more than happy for new volunteers to help manage the Ubuntu wiki at help.ubuntu.com and wiki.ubuntu.com

LukeCarrier
February 15th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Have you taken a look at the plethora of wikis and ubuntu help sites around and thought about whether they could be improved? I know the ubuntu doc team would be more than happy for new volunteers to help manage the Ubuntu wiki at help.ubuntu.com and wiki.ubuntu.com

I would do that, but I don't really have much time, and I have a habit of making silly mistakes with spelling and the like. I also don't quite understand the navigation in the help.ubuntu.com site which is extremely awkward sometimes (no offence, but some of it seems a bit randomised).

I've been after a good way to support the community for quite a while, Ubuntu got me started with GNU / Linux
and has kept me hooked since I first used Dapper Drake a while back. I suck at software development, and am working on web development. I just want a nice way to help the community and starting a tutorial site seems a good place to start, if you catch my drift?

LukeCarrier
February 15th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Excuse me for sounding a bit rude but:

I think that would be a bad idea. A VERY bad idea. I hate having flash to navigate sites already, but if that was allowed in signatures on my favorite website...just..no ... :cry:

I'm not flaming here, please don't take this the wrong way! Surely a few KB doesn't make a lot of difference? There could always be a file size limit to embedded flash, if it goes past a certain file size it could be ignored when vBulletin parses the code? I dunno, I don't use vBulletin. Too expensive for me :(

hyper_ch
February 15th, 2008, 01:03 PM
with too big and too flashy signatures the important part of the forums (the actual messages) will get lost and not be so prominent any longer.

Furthermore you have 10 posts per pages... 10posts x 20kb flash --> 200kb more to load.

PriceChild
February 15th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I would do that, but I don't really have much time, and I have a habit of making silly mistakes with spelling and the like. I also don't quite understand the navigation in the help.ubuntu.com site which is extremely awkward sometimes (no offence, but some of it seems a bit randomised).That doesn't fill me with confidence about this new site of yours...

I would suggest again that you use whatever little, precious time you have to contribute to the existing project.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to start something new.

LukeCarrier
February 15th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I just meant I didn't want to mess something up that was already there, so I've got some people together to work on a project to help encourage people to switch Ubuntu by showing them the community support is better than anything offered by Microsoft. And I'm not bashing them there, you'd never know how bad MS Support is until you try and contact them, it's one of the main reasons I switched to Ubuntu.