PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wrong legal advice

hyper_ch
February 12th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Dear hyper_ch,

You have received an infraction at Ubuntu Forums.

Reason: Do not endorse piracy
-------
Keep in mind that you may not endorse piracy in anyway whatsoever since it goes against:-

6. Adult Content/Violence/Illegal Activity: Messages containing sexually oriented/violent/illegal dialogue, images, content, or links to these things will be deleted. Messages with links to or suggesting illegal activity will also be deleted. Posting or linking to any of these could result in a ban.

I hope that you will not do this again and that you would respect the CoC at all times.
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:

Downloading a movie without paying for it is illegal
Wrong!

which is also known as stealing
Again wrong!

As said before, it depends on where you live.

So, I assume it is perfectly fine to download movies without paying for them in Switzerland then!
With a few exceptions, it is.

All the best,
Ubuntu Forums

Taurus claimed all downloading of movies is illegal.

This is plainly wrong. There are movies that are published under CC or other licences that explicitly allow sharing (for non commercial purposes).

Furthermore, I actually acted to support of the quoted CoC.

Giving wrong legal advice is also suggesting illegal activity. By Taurus claiming that all downloading of movies is illegal, he actually violated art. 6 CoC. However I cleared that up by saying that it very much depends on where you live.

As I pointed out, downloading is legal in Switzerland - with a few exceptions. Those exceptions have nothing to do with copyright infringement and even less with stealing. (Stealing is a completely different legal contruct).

While Taurus was giving false legal advice - and hence violating art. 6 CoC by negating freedoms that (some people have) - I was correcting him and differentiating. For upholding art. 6 CoC I did now get an infraction.

p_quarles
February 12th, 2008, 06:11 PM
1) Complaints about other members should be dealt with via the "report post" mechanism or by PM'ing a staff member.

2) Objections to infractions should be posted in the Resolution Center.

PriceChild
February 12th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I have moved this thread to the Resolution Center.

I hope you have tried to resolve the issue in PM before bringing this to public.

PriceChild
February 12th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Issue has been resolved:

Hi hyper_ch,

The following thread that you created has been moved

-----
Thread: Wrong legal advice (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=694741)
Original Forum: Forum Feedback & Help (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
New Forum: Resolution Center (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-----

This is an automated message, please don't hesitate to reply if you have any questions.

Regards,
The Forum Management

It's settled. Can you marked it solved?