PDA

View Full Version : new forums

xlyz
September 25th, 2005, 10:28 PM
nice new functions, but now forums are terribly slow
hope speed can be improved

macgyver2
September 25th, 2005, 10:30 PM
In another thread ubuntu-geek mentioned that some intensive database stuff might still be running. Once that's done the forums should speed up.

Juippisi
September 26th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Yes, it did so. Much faster than yesterday.

christooss
September 26th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Aplause for the speed. Its 5 times faster than before.

Good Work

jeffreyvergara.NET
September 26th, 2005, 04:49 PM
i like the new forum!!! :) :razz:

drummer
September 26th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I like the new menu at the top in dark brown, everything is more defined and feels easier to use. The speed is much better too, i just posted a quick reply and it was on the page before i could even blink.. nice work mods/admin or whoever did the upgrade :D

EDIT - Oooh WOW, edit edits in the post area.. slick

earobinson
September 26th, 2005, 04:54 PM
welcome back all

ubuntu-geek
September 26th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Hey guys welcome back! I am glad things are smoooooother now... We are still making some tweaks to the layout.. check out the new search features :)

christooss
September 26th, 2005, 05:04 PM
The 13 hours down are forgoten ubuntu-geek. I like the new theme

ghostintheshell
September 26th, 2005, 05:06 PM
great work!

mlomker
September 26th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Hey guys welcome back! I am glad things are smoooooother now... We are still making some tweaks to the layout.. check out the new search features :)

Hyperlinks are not underlined at the moment....I think that'll be a problem

Lux Perpetua
September 26th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Interesting new look.

Is it just me, or does Quick Reply not work anymore? [edit: never mind, just saw the "Quick Reply" thread]

heimo
September 26th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Interesting new look.

Is it just me, or does Quick Reply not work anymore? [edit: never mind, just saw the "Quick Reply" thread] Did you use the down arrow next to some message?

EDIT: Seems to work for me, and I really, really like the new "on-spot"-editing.
EDIT: :D It was fun to watch how the forum woke up after downtime. It was instant.

Juippisi
September 26th, 2005, 06:08 PM

Yes, that is a one thing that distracts me. Because you can't see the link so easily and you think that "do I really need to portray this text and paste it manually to adressbar" and when you put your cursor upon the link, you see that it works.
I don't know that if I'm the only one who thinks that way, but it really distracts me :-).

trash
September 26th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Love it all! colors rock!
THANK YOU!!

frodon
September 26th, 2005, 06:38 PM
I saw that there is a problem with attached file display, it's annoying with my HOWTO when i want to give some scripts.
However the new design is really great, i love it :p

Thanks a lot for your work !!!!!

vassie
September 26th, 2005, 06:42 PM
The new look is fantastic, does it give us an insight into any new Ubuntu Artwork? (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=19800)

Ben

ubuntu-geek
September 26th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Will be fixed shortly :)

ubuntu-geek
September 26th, 2005, 06:49 PM
The new look is fantastic, does it give us an insight into any new Ubuntu Artwork? (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=19800)

Ben
Nope, just an updated theme for vb3.5 and changed the colors around :)

mlomker
September 26th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Will be fixed shortly :)

Thanks. Can you take a peek at the button that allows the insertion of a web hyperlink? It use to ask for the visible text and then the URL. Right now it's only asking for the URL.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see that I can now highlight the text that I want to link. That's probably more intuitive, but it is a change from before.

bugmenot
September 26th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Anyone as annoyed as I am because of the position of the search box in the new search dropdown?

IMHO it should be at the top of the dropdown since it's the most likely item that users will want to select to get to their information

AgenT
September 26th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Also, it would be wise to change the border of the field on the front page. The one that looks like:
[Search... _____________] [GO]

It's almost invisible! Also, the background of the text field is almost the exact same color as the background that it is placed on. This would probably be fixed if the border was changed.

ubuntu-geek
September 26th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks. Can you take a peek at the button that allows the insertion of a web hyperlink? It use to ask for the visible text and then the URL. Right now it's only asking for the URL.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see that I can now highlight the text that I want to link. That's probably more intuitive, but it is a change from before.
Yes, the WYSIWYG editor is a complete re-write from vbulletin 3.0 and it has alot of new features :)

christooss
September 26th, 2005, 08:31 PM
I use simplest editor. WYSIWYG has to much functions for me :)

ubuntu-geek
September 26th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Also, it would be wise to change the border of the field on the front page. The one that looks like:
[Search... _____________] [GO]

It's almost invisible! Also, the background of the text field is almost the exact same color as the background that it is placed on. This would probably be fixed if the border was changed.
Thanks for pointing that out, it looks totally different on my computer then on windows, mac etc.. Should be better now.

Breaks
September 26th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Well, i must admit the speed, interface and overall appearance and usability of the forum with its new look and what not is amazing. Excellent work as always, thanks to the ubuntu team + forum staff, you guys rock :mrgreen:

Unit #134679
September 26th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Looks great! The new look definitely made up the downtime was made up. Its actually faster than before for me

christooss
September 26th, 2005, 09:21 PM
BTW there is no icon in URL line

xlyz
September 26th, 2005, 09:33 PM
nice new functions, but now forums are terribly slow
hope speed can be improved
speed is ok, now

gr8 work!! :D:D:D

phibxr
September 26th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Nope, just an updated theme for vb3.5 and changed the colors around :)

Although it really would make a great source of inspiration for the theme makers out there working hard on creating clean, stylish and simple theme for dapper. ;)

frodon
September 27th, 2005, 09:06 AM
I can't see attached files, Does anyone have the same problem ?
For exemple in my HOWTO (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=51611) i checked that the file is well attached but it not appear on the thread.

xmastree
September 27th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I haven't checked them all, but these two still don't work.
:-({|= (violin)
\\\\:D/ (dancing)

Vidar
September 27th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Nice new theme (I'm already planning a gtk/metacity theme based on it) and much speedier than before, great work! :D

XDevHald
September 27th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Here's a test.

Ok, it's here in my post.

EDIT: Nevermind, it dissapeared ?
EDIT #2: It seems when editing a post it comes back, but when viewing it is gone. Can someone verify this?

ubuntu-geek
Nice new theme (I'm already planning a gtk/metacity theme based on it) and much speedier than before, great work! :D
Cool when you finish PM me :)

ubuntu-geek
I haven't checked them all, but these two still don't work.
:-({|= (violin)
\\\\:D/ (dancing)
I'll be working on those today :)

Unregistered
September 27th, 2005, 03:34 PM
um, where on the forum is the LOGIN screen? There doesn't seem to be any! :(

urbandryad
September 27th, 2005, 03:35 PM
oops, found the LOGIN. It wasn't labelled, I thought it was a search function or something. >o<

phibxr
September 28th, 2005, 10:39 AM
"Nice new theme (I'm already planning a gtk/metacity theme based on it) and much speedier than before, great work! "

Notify me too. I would love a theme inspired of this forum. ^^

darkmatter
September 28th, 2005, 11:00 AM
"Nice new theme (I'm already planning a gtk/metacity theme based on it) and much speedier than before, great work! "

Notify me too. I would love a theme inspired of this forum. ^^

Make that a third interested individual.;)

manicka
September 28th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Cool when you finish PM me :)

Please add me to the list :)

XDevHald
September 28th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Another cool feature would be to add in our profile options is to be on vacation mode, this way if a mod or user is on vacation then we can see that feature in his/her profile.

macgyver2
September 28th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Another cool feature would be to add in our profile options is to be on vacation mode, this way if a mod or user is on vacation then we can see that feature in his/her profile.
Very nice idea!

ubuntu-geek
September 28th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Ahh that is an awesome idea.. I'll research this..

christooss
September 28th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Yes that would be a great option.

Vidar
September 28th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Nice to see some interest in this, will definitely get to work on this soon (still learning gtk/metacity-theme xml). :)

Any special requests about the theme btw?

Vidar
September 28th, 2005, 10:36 PM
How does this look? It's a beginning at least. Mostly clearlooks, but modified for custom panel and titlebar (will probarbly bring back the dropshadows for the text on the titlebar though, I'm beginning to miss them). :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/files/3/8/0/1/3/Screenshot_805264_original.png

XDevHald
September 28th, 2005, 11:05 PM
This looks awesome Vidar!

If you could please make the text on both taskbars and window borders white that would look alot a easier to handle while surfing the web and desktop.

Also, if you want someone to test this, please pass this over to me or anyone else to see how this looks and feels for them.

Great Work!

darkmatter
September 28th, 2005, 11:06 PM
How does this look? It's a beginning at least. Mostly clearlooks, but modified for custom panel and titlebar (will probarbly bring back the dropshadows for the text on the titlebar though, I'm beginning to miss them). :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/files/3/8/0/1/3/Screenshot_805264_original.png

Looking good, Vidar.:D

Just a little to 'peachy', but as you've already stated - it's a beginning.:)

christooss
September 28th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Looks great. But.. Black is not the right color for panel fonts on the bottom of the screen

Vidar
September 29th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Yeah, had a bit of trouble with the fontcolor for the panel (still not entirerly fixed, but it's better now I think).
Still very much a wip, but if you want to try it out, here's the theme:
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2629&stc=1&d=1127976351

Comments go in this thread unless a mod would like to split the thread. :)

manicka
September 29th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Yeah, had a bit of trouble with the fontcolor for the panel (still not entirerly fixed, but it's better now I think).
Still very much a wip, but if you want to try it out, here's the theme:
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2629&stc=1&d=1127976351

Comments go in this thread unless a mod would like to split the thread. :)
It's a bit to dark for me. The brown is overpowering

Nice work though :D

Vidar
September 29th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I definitely agree on that. Will try to keep a white/light grey base color while still having white text as default for panels and menus. :)

manicka
September 29th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I definitely agree on that. Will try to keep a white/light grey base color while still having white text as default for panels and menus. :)
I'd like to see the mustardy brown worked into it somewhere

XDevHald
September 29th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Here's a screenshot of Vidars theme along with icons/wallpaper I grabbed from gnome-look.org

(http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/8669/screenshot1bv.th.png)

Vidar
September 29th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Nice, very cute. :)

I also fancy the gant-iconset, use it here at work.

XDevHald
September 29th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Nice, very cute. :)

I also fancy the gant-iconset, use it here at work.
Thanks Vidar, one more thing that could use a touch is the mouse hovering over an icon in which is showing up with a yellow background and with white text when showing what the name of that icon is in a small dialog description.

Vidar
September 29th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Yeah, saw that one just before I left for work this morning, will try to find a way to only style the panels and not the overall font-color using clearlooks.

If anybody has got a clue how to go about doing this I'll be very happy, until then I'll just keep trying. If somebody has a good resource for tweaking clearlooks, I'll be twice as happy. :D

Vidar
September 30th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Ok, quite an update.. Here's a new version and screenshot.
I will soon change the color of the overlay on the panel (see taskswitcher) to something less white/grey and more yellow/brown.:D
... I really should start a new thread or something, or get this thread split.. :)

manicka
September 30th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Ok, quite an update.. Here's a new version and screenshot.
I will soon change the color of the overlay on the panel (see taskswitcher) to something less white/grey and more yellow/brown.:D
... I really should start a new thread or something, or get this thread split.. :)
wow, this is really coming along nicely. The only thing stopping me using it now is that I like transparency in my gnome panels and it looks funny at the moment if I try to do this. If you could produce two versions, with and without the gnome panel colours, that would be really nice.
http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/5045/screenshot7ha.jpg

Edit: Ok, I managed tp remove the background from the gnome panels by deleting the panel.rc and panel image folder.
I like this theme alot... Great work!!!
Below is a screenie of how it looks without the panel background. Thanks again :D
P.S. I use a nuoveXT/suede icon combo (don't like the vista style folders in nuoveXT)

AgenT
September 30th, 2005, 02:41 AM
One possible tip: easy on the gradation on the dark-brown bars that have text over them (or icons). It makes everything harder to read. Maybe make a *much* weaker gradation. Although when to comes to those things it's probably better not to have any gradation except on the very edges (outside the text).

Vidar
September 30th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Yup, while you're at it, you probarbly want to delete the last line in the gtkrc-file too. :)

manicka
September 30th, 2005, 08:45 AM
I've noticed that when a maximized window is the background, that the titlebar-inactive.png isn't being used and the titlebar is a plain clolour.

Vidar
September 30th, 2005, 08:45 AM
One possible tip: easy on the gradation on the dark-brown bars that have text over them (or icons). It makes everything harder to read. Maybe make a *much* weaker gradation. Although when to comes to those things it's probably better not to have any gradation except on the very edges (outside the text).

Fixed. How does this look to you? I would recommend using bold types for the titlebar as well. :)

manicka
September 30th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I've noticed that when a maximized window is the background, that the titlebar-inactive.png isn't being used and the titlebar is a plain clolour.
and that text highlighting in apps like synaptic is blue

Vidar
September 30th, 2005, 09:48 AM
The highlighting should be fixed, try this latest version. I also added icons that match the theme better too. :)

manicka
September 30th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Nice, :D
obs... the right hand side of the menu button is chopped off. Text and highlighting in synaptic still blue. Titlebar fixed :D
Edit: Synaptic is running as root and not picking up the theme. Copying theme to /usr/share/themes solves problem
P.S. I like the darker browns and old icons better, but I can see how the new colours and icons fit in better with the look of ubuntu forums.
Edit2: I'm running a combo of the new colours and old icons enlarged to 18 x18 - what do you think?
2653 2654

Vidar
September 30th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Hmmm, looks intresting.

Might at least add some more contrast to the new icons, see how that works. :)

True, it's running programs as root that is the problem - not the theme.

Vidar
October 1st, 2005, 02:17 AM
I'll post all further versions here: http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=29684

Please comment and rate it if you have the time! :)

ubuntu-geek
October 4th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Kubuntu users you can now select the blue theme. Its located in the bottom left corner of the forums. We are still tweaking so hang tight..