PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse on ubuntu 7.10?

Firepony302
February 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I recently updated to ubuntu 7.10, and now eclipse doesn't work correctly, it opens, but it doesn't open the windows inside of eclipse, they all are throwing null pointer exceptions.
Has anyone run Eclipse on 7.10?

rufius
February 8th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I've been running it regularly, but I didn't "upgrade." Try removing your eclipse preferences folder, maybe by renaming it something else or creating a fresh login and testing there. That'll tell you whether eclipse is broken altogether or if your settings are just screwed up.

Hope that helps :)

Firepony302
February 8th, 2008, 06:36 PM
sorry i should have been more detailed...
what i ment to say was, i formated my hd and installed 7.10, then downloaded Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers.
and did a fresh install with that, and it does not work.
could it be that its not the base version of eclipse?

i know the base version worked great when i had 7.4 installed

buntu_Geek
February 9th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Me too having the same problem....

I was using Eclipse for j2ee development... also used the IBM WebSphere Community edition with Eclipse.... In Fiesty it was working great....

But After i upgraded to Gutsy .. the WebSphere server isnt starting and its giving me java exceptions...

Problem isn't resolved yet.... :(

tenmillionmilesaway
February 9th, 2008, 08:05 PM
After you did a fresh install of 7.10 did you install the sun java jdk and update-alternatives?

People have had trouble running eclipse with the gnu java that comes with ubuntu before.

Firepony302
February 11th, 2008, 03:29 PM
hmm didn't even think about that, I'll try the sun JDK, thanks!

buntu_Geek
February 16th, 2008, 06:30 AM
But i guess upgrading to Gutsy takes care of updating the available packages too....

Any ways i ll give it a try...

dempl_dempl
February 16th, 2008, 05:01 PM
My friend had that problem too. He installed Feisty back , and everything worked fine.

Geekkit
February 17th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Has anyone run Eclipse on 7.10?

I tried but Eclipse went and globbered my default Java compiler at the console. My solutions was easy: remove Eclipse all together and stick with Netbeans 5.5.1.

That and the UML diagram features and plugin architecture in Netbeans are both light years ahead of what Eclipse offers.