PDA

View Full Version : script which writes from html- site to openoffice

schnuser
February 8th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Hi everyone

I am relatively new to linux and its related stuff, nevertheless ive tried to solve my little project on my own, but I think without some help I do not get through.
I wanna do this:
A script which by its launch downloads the HTML Code of a specific site "www.somesite.com" (probalby with wget). In the HTML code will be a sequence like this:

<table class="aceq_labValBox" id="aceq_labValBox_lines" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
<tbody><tr>
<td>Last:</td>
<td class="value"><b>26.04</b></td>
<td style="padding-left: 20px;">On last volume:</td>

<td class="value"><b>1'368</b></td>
<td class="value" width="100%">(17:30:28)</td>
</tr>
You see in bold the word "Last" (i edited this manually for illustration purposes), underneath the word "value" followed by the digit "26.04" (this has somewhat to do with share prices).
Now I wana copy this digit into a specific cell of openoffice calc.

There I wanna make some charts and analysis on my own.

Can you please give me some hints and advice how I could solve this task?
regards

ghostdog74
February 8th, 2008, 04:41 AM
tested only on the sample

awk '/<td>Last:<\/td>/{
getline;
val=gensub(/.*<b>(.*)<\/b>.*/,"\\1","g")
print "this is your value: " val
}' file

pmasiar
February 8th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I would suggest doing whole thing in Python: download with urllib2, parse HTML with ElementTree or BeautifulSoup (or even manually), and generate either tab-delimited file or there should be some package to write Excel files IIRC, but I forgot the name.

And Python is universal language, you can use it later for other things.

schnuser
February 8th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks a lot for your replies. I'll work with the "gawk- solution" because i dont know python yet (this may hopefully change someday).
Now I have to think about how to get "val" into oocalc (suggestions appreciated).

Thank you

ghostdog74
February 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM
oocalc can open csv file. so you can just output your val as comma separated values and open it with oocalc

[h2o]
February 8th, 2008, 03:53 PM
There is also a Python API for OpenOffice. The documentation is not very good but it works quite well when you get the hang of it.
But if using a CSV-file works for you then that's what you should use.

schnuser
February 8th, 2008, 06:01 PM
oocalc can open csv file. so you can just output your val as comma separated values and open it with oocalc

Yes this will work, cool.
Thanks