PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Quake
December 2nd, 2004, 07:19 PM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

jdodson
December 2nd, 2004, 07:31 PM

3 things keep me using xp on my laptop(however ubuntu is my main OS for everything else so i use my laptop very little):

my canon i850 printer.

no video editor that handles titles and audio track overlays that i have gotten to work yet. i tried kino, its really great, but no titles or audio overlay. i am thinking of creating cinerellia deb packages when i get that to work, just have not had the time.

alsa is not supported on my sound card(cause it sucks) so i use audacity on my win machine. this will be remidied when i get a new comp as i will purchase a creative labs audigy line card(which is supported in alsa so i can do sound recording).

the games thing is moot at this point for me because ut2004 is native linux and war3 run great in cedega. WOW runs good in cedega and if i ever want to play HL2 that will be supported better in the future. i mostly play blizzard titles, neverwinter nights(linux ported) and ut2004 and free games like frozen bubble.

i think over time my problems will diminish, the video editor problem will go away as kino gets more features or as i get another program working well. games will eventually be ported to linux in greater number and my printer..... well we shall see on that one.

amoser
December 2nd, 2004, 08:13 PM
I compleatly use Ubuntu. I started using linux in 2002(I think), with redhat 8

~Alan

az
December 2nd, 2004, 08:21 PM
I have never used windows XP. Seeing screenshots on the net, it looks awful! (So ugly and tacky that it seems to hold your attention - like not being able to look away from a mother scolding her children.)

I used to have win98 but I got rid of that in 2002. I first started with mandrake and it made me want to vomit. Debian Woody was released and I installed that. Six months later, it was the only OS on my copmuters.

When someone asks me to install linux on their computer, I instal Ubuntu because I am sick and tired of aswering everyone's questions. Ubuntu just works - or requires only minimal tweaking.

I can't say anything about dvd or video playing since I do not use my computer for that.

zenwhen
December 2nd, 2004, 08:24 PM
I haven't booted Windows for four months.

I play UT2K4, Q3, D3, SNES ROMS, and Frozen Bubble. I stay entertained.

ubuntu_demon
December 2nd, 2004, 08:24 PM
I'm still using winXP as my primary OS because in Ubuntu I can't acces my 240 GB raid array. I don't think I will get it working. So I'm gonna lend some external harddisks and backup all my data. When that's done I will be using Ubuntu as my primary OS. I will keep a dual boot configuration for the time being.

inha
December 2nd, 2004, 08:33 PM
I made the complete switch to linux about 4 or 5 months ago after using linux for about the same time. I miss some games but that's about it.

oh and my scanner doesn't work under linux but they're cheap so I'm just going to buy a new one. Once I get around to it.

gabbman
December 2nd, 2004, 08:40 PM
My main box has been windows free for 2+ years.

The only thing I thought I'd miss is a linux version of Quicken. I tried many things to compensate for this from win4lin to codeweavers.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, it was easier to site in front of OO spreadsheet and design a budget and financial tracking template. Which has been a lot easier for me to plan and track, and more personalized for me then quicken ever was. Online banking can be done from any browser in my case so that was never a need in Quicken for me, just a convienience.

The updide of that is Quicken has reverted to licensing tacktics and upgrades annually. (my sister still can not let go).

So in addition to being windows free, I've save about 3 upgrades of Quicken and Quicktax.

Once you make up your mind to see the computing world without windows, you will find a way to accomplish the same tasks.

Gaming may be a whole new ball game. (or obsession) :D

I think if you are 'thinking' about going windowless, you are ready, JUST DO IT and learn to have fun.

arctic
December 2nd, 2004, 08:56 PM
i still do administrate some window boxes but for my personal use, i only use linux-systems. i feel somehow very insecure (viruses, spyware ...) and uncomfortable if i am in front of a windows-box. (not so) strange, eh? i have the constant feeling that the windows-boxes will crash and get infected anytime. i am much more relaxed behind my linux-boxes... since two and a half years now. :D

TravisNewman
December 2nd, 2004, 09:21 PM
I completely use Ubuntu. I keep Windows around for gaming problems (to test if they work in Windows, basically, then boot into Ubuntu and fix (or try to fix) the problem). I haven't "used" Windows in a long time, but it's still there.

jdong
December 2nd, 2004, 09:28 PM
on the 5 computers that I use, they run solely Ubuntu (yes -- I did wipe Fedora yesterday... BURN IN HELL)

In my house, I have two systems running XP -- one for my parents' day-to-day work (they still prefer Windows for some reason, though my dad is starting to grow attached to my linux computer...), and one for microcontroller programming (too many proprietary programs -- most won't run well under WINE, either)

I may add that 80% of my administration headaches are with those two boxes, the other 20% with my ex-Fedora installation!

jdodson
December 2nd, 2004, 09:51 PM

The only thing I thought I'd miss is a linux version of Quicken. I tried many things to compensate for this from win4lin to codeweavers.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, it was easier to site in front of OO spreadsheet and design a budget and financial tracking template. Which has been a lot easier for me to plan and track, and more personalized for me then quicken ever was. Online banking can be done from any browser in my case so that was never a need in Quicken for me, just a convienience.

The updide of that is Quicken has reverted to licensing tacktics and upgrades annually. (my sister still can not let go).

So in addition to being windows free, I've save about 3 upgrades of Quicken and Quicktax.

Once you make up your mind to see the computing world without windows, you will find a way to accomplish the same tasks.

I think if you are 'thinking' about going windowless, you are ready, JUST DO IT and learn to have fun.

i got quicken to work in wine.

gabbman
December 2nd, 2004, 10:07 PM
>>>
i got quicken to work in wine.<<<

Oh, I could too, but I am running older hardware (tyan 1854 mobo with 400 mhz celeron) so the wine, codeweavers etc reduce the resourse horse power to the point it is anoying.

Which is another positive thing for me using ubuntu, everything I need, with as few apps installed as posible, on a 2.6 kernel, so that combined with my 320 mb of ram, this old box has another few years of respectable life left in her.

jdodson
December 2nd, 2004, 10:13 PM
>>>
i got quicken to work in wine.<<<

Oh, I could too, but I am running older hardware (tyan 1854 mobo with 400 mhz celeron) so the wine, codeweavers etc reduce the resourse horse power to the point it is anoying.

Which is another positive thing for me using ubuntu, everything I need, with as few apps installed as posible, on a 2.6 kernel, so that combined with my 320 mb of ram, this old box has another few years of respectable life left in her.

right i understand. i use vanilla wine that i apt-get from universe, its a bit jumpy when you open it and you gotta full screen the program or it will bug out on you, beyond that its not too bad.

macewan
December 2nd, 2004, 10:27 PM
right i understand. i use vanilla wine that i apt-get from universe, its a bit jumpy when you open it and you gotta full screen the program or it will bug out on you, beyond that its not too bad.
I stopped using Windows in about 2000-2001 or so. Before that I had been using Linux part-time for about 3 or 4 years in '97 or '98.

BWF89
December 2nd, 2004, 10:50 PM
I would switch to live CD's completely except I can't find any of them can play MPEG movies :-( . ..

jdodson
December 2nd, 2004, 10:51 PM
I would switch to live CD's completely except I can't find any of them can play MPEG movies :-( . ..

they dont include mpeg playback because of patent restrictions. the only way i know of is to add that functionality when you install ubuntu.

FX
December 2nd, 2004, 11:09 PM
On here I only have Ubuntu. On my file server for backups I have only Ubuntu. On the kids pc I have only Ubuntu. (don't have to worry about stupid viruses and crap with them on the net.) On my gaming machine I still dual boot with XP for gaming. Linux just isn't up to snuff yet. I've heard all the arugements too about Wine/WineX/Cedega and it don't cut it. Especially for the games I play.

Besides right now I'm pretty crabby with Linux. Been using it for about 2 years now and to this day I still get fustrated. Somedays I just get sick of jumping through hoops to get things to work.

FX

Gibbz
December 3rd, 2004, 12:21 AM
Besides right now I'm pretty crabby with Linux. Been using it for about 2 years now and to this day I still get fustrated. Somedays I just get sick of jumping through hoops to get things to work.
FX

Yeah i know whats its like as a heavy gamer/game artist. I would be more inclinde to ditch windows if 3d studio max and photshop were ported to linux. And a whole lot more modern games such as Tribes Vengeance and Dawn of War.

Next upgrade ill be dual booting with Ubuntu tho :) i have no room atm and have it on my brothers pc...

adbak
December 3rd, 2004, 12:36 AM
I still have WinXP on my hard drive, but I only use that for getting my printer to work (it suddenly stopped working one day, I finally reinstalled two pkgs to get it to work again) and to view any vids if I can't get mplayer to work (wmvs won't play for some reason).

I think that, at least for the rest of this academic year, I'll have WinXP be a vestigial structure.

Lovechild
December 3rd, 2004, 01:56 AM
I switched completely to Linux about 5½ years ago.

HungSquirrel
December 3rd, 2004, 02:04 AM
The only time I booted into Windows in the past several months was to play HL2. Played it, beat it, and now I am thankfully back using a decent desktop OS! :D

mark
December 3rd, 2004, 04:06 AM
The only open Windows (coff, coff) I have are at work. At home, I currently have Ubuntu (Warty) installed as my boot OS. I'm probably going to add Ubuntu (Hoary) in the very near future as secondary boot. And, I usually save enough disk space for my "distro of the moment" junkie habit<g>.

Oh, yes...I just very recently ordered (and received!) the DR-DOS 7.03 diskettes. Intel has (so far) not made BIOS updates for my D865GLC mainboard in anything other than Windows or DOS executables & since I've sworn off Microsoft altogether, I needed some means to insure I can have the latest BIOS code...if interested (or you have a need like mine), check out http://www.drdos.com- they're nice folks.

MatthewMetzger
December 3rd, 2004, 05:14 AM
We use some windows machines at our web design studio, but I work entirely from Ubuntu. I used to use Fedora Core 2, but I like ubuntu much better primarily because I like to be on the cutting edge and apt-get and hoary allow me to do that.

mikeymike
December 3rd, 2004, 06:11 AM
i use windows only when i need to for flash n other gfx/web apps

i use fc3 and ubuntu more jus started ubuntu today and really like it so far alot quicker than fc3

Infatuated_iPod
December 3rd, 2004, 02:52 PM
I am trying my hardest to switch over to ubuntu, but i cant seem to get the internet to work steadily on my main box, once i fix that problem i will probably never use windows again. I really hate it, it is such an evil organazation, it just makes me sick! It makes me even angrier that i am forced to use it at school! Thanksfully work uses linux redhat.. :). My other box runs completely on ubuntu, i thought about dual booting when i first set it up, but after using ubuntu for a couple days, it works better with ubuntu then it ever did with winxp.

piedamaro
December 3rd, 2004, 03:58 PM
I have no windows at the moment. I use linux since 2000 I think (redhat 7).
How many things changed for good!

(I'm going to reinstall winxp to give half-life 2 a shot, a friend of mine gave me the coupon he got with his ati-mllionair card to order HL2 for _free_ , I just can't stand that I had to reinstal grub *shrug*)

LinuxDev
December 3rd, 2004, 04:19 PM
Well, I tried Linux several times, like Redhat and Mandrake (version 7 to 9), but I still use XP because I play a lot of online games.
I use Linux at work, and was on Mandrake 9 Community before I started with Ubuntu.
So I could say I spend 3/4 time on Ubuntu ;)

jeremy
December 3rd, 2004, 05:33 PM
I have switched over completely from windows. It was a moral question for me.
I had tried several other distros before, and some I quite liked, but Ubuntu was the one that I thought that I could live with, and that is what I have been doing for the last 3 months.

Quake
December 3rd, 2004, 10:02 PM
Woohoo! Got a used copy of Linux Tribes 2 from Amazon.com. Now, I have to check if there's a huge Performance hit when running games in cedega and I MAY be willing to give Linux 3/4 of the HD space

mr_ed
December 3rd, 2004, 10:02 PM
Ubuntu is on my laptop, my parents' computer (which I have to administer), and I have a dual-boot setup with Windows XP and Ubuntu. I only use Ubuntu at home, and my wife only uses Windows.

I would probably be tempted to use Windows to print photos if I first have trouble with Linux, which I have in the past.

Oh, and I use Windows at work. No choice about that.

poofyhairguy
December 3rd, 2004, 10:43 PM
I wish I could move all the way to Linux. I would give up my CS Source addiction if I didn't need windows for one thing: DVD Shrink. I haven't found anything on
Linux that is close, and I haven't found a way for it to work in Wine/Crossover. Soon as DVD copying is automated in Linux like it is in Windows, I'll burn that partition.

jdodson
December 3rd, 2004, 10:45 PM
I wish I could move all the way to Linux. I would give up my CS Source addiction if I didn't need windows for one thing: DVD Shrink. I haven't found anything on
Linux that is close, and I haven't found a way for it to work in Wine/Crossover. Soon as DVD copying is automated in Linux like it is in Windows, I'll burn that partition.

dvd::rip might work well for you.

poofyhairguy
December 3rd, 2004, 10:48 PM
(yes -- I did wipe Fedora yesterday... BURN IN HELL)

LoL. Fedora Core 3 is on my girlfriends laptop because:

A. She loves KDE

B. She doesn't consider Ubuntu's screensaver collection to be acceptable.

But I still have to admin it. Last night I tried for hours getting a media player to work, and getting her Ipod to work with Fedora- no success If Ubuntu ever gets better KDE support, I'll switch it out some night when she's asleep!

poofyhairguy
December 3rd, 2004, 11:07 PM
dvd::rip might work well for you.

Thanks for the advice. That is a fine program, but the biggest thing DVD Shrink does for me is perfectly compress huge DVD movie in order to fit them on consumer grade DVDrs. Many programs try to compress DVDs, but only Shrink's results are completely watchable.

I have recently (yesterday) found out that if I rip dvd's with dvd:rip than I can compress the files with DVD Shrink using the newest Crossover (I would prefer if Shrink would rip the disk too, but that is merely for convience).

If DVD Burning Support increases in Hoary (I just can't get K3B installed on the current Hoary without nuking my install), I will probably get to ditch windows!

jdodson
December 3rd, 2004, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the advice. That is a fine program, but the biggest thing DVD Shrink does for me is perfectly compress huge DVD movie in order to fit them on consumer grade DVDrs. Many programs try to compress DVDs, but only Shrink's results are completely watchable.

I have recently (yesterday) found out that if I rip dvd's with dvd:rip than I can compress the files with DVD Shrink using the newest Crossover (I would prefer if Shrink would rip the disk too, but that is merely for convience).

If DVD Burning Support increases in Hoary (I just can't get K3B installed on the current Hoary without nuking my install), I will probably get to ditch windows!

i have heard that a lot on these forums, and so i gave dvd shrink a try. i have to admit, it does a good job.

poofyhairguy
December 3rd, 2004, 11:44 PM
i have heard that a lot on these forums, and so i gave dvd shrink a try. i have to admit, it does a good job.

I've tried the pay-for programs, it works better.

nuopus
December 4th, 2004, 01:09 AM

I used to use quicken until I found out about moneydance. It is a GREATE java based personal finance software. Also, the new crossover office 4.0 is out with lots of improvements ... it says they support quicken.

Ya ... I play contantly on XBOX Live anyway. I find it is much more fun online because I totally love the people interaction. I mean ... sure you have teamspeak and roger wilco on the PC, but not very many people use it ... and if you do get lots of people it isnt supported by the game so its hard to have actual team strategizing because the game can't cut off voice communication for people on the other side. Also there is no support for online buddies in any game. For example I cannot play doom3 and be notified if I want to start a game of ut2004 because an internet buddy wants to play ... must rely on other things like AIM (which I turn off in gaming anyway) or giving out phone number.

In contrast, mostly everyone has voice communications on XBOX Live, the game can control who can talk to who and there is a global buddy list for all games letting you know if a friend wants to play what game, net scoring and actual clan match support and scheduling.

So with all of this .... I NEVER use my PC for gaming anyway and rely on my console for the net gaming fun.

I have switched from using Gentoo to Ubuntu Linux and have been using it heavily ever since hoary was usable. viva Ubuntu, viva xbox live! LOL

beeldings
December 4th, 2004, 05:32 AM
I was done with Windows back in April. I was sick and tired of the constant updating just to protect your PC from viruses and spyware. Besides the fact that the whole operating system was a piece of crap to begin with and very insecure. I'm not into PC gaming, so Linux is fine with me. I do basic Internet functions and I like to download and burn CD's. But, the only thing that I really haven't been able to do in Linux that I could have easily accomplished with Windows is burning VCDs. It's just so damn complicated that I really haven't bothered with it. With Windows, I would load up Nero, let it convert my files and burn the disc. I also liked to burn emulators for my Dreamcast, which is another thing I cannot do with Linux. Oh, and I used Windows as a video editing platform with my Dazzle DVC USB capture card. I can't do that with Linux because I cannot find the module or program that can detect the capture card and actually capture video with it. Other than those pet peeves, I'm loving this Linux thing.

Linux needs a killer app like Nero. K3B is good, but it not as good as Nero. Since I've migrated to Gnome from KDE when I installed Ubuntu about a month and a half ago, I've been using X CD Roast to burn my data/audio CD's.

The best part about Ubuntu: my mother can get on-line to check her e-mail and surf the web without any help from me. I don't have to worry about her opening a malicious link in an e-mail or downloading some spyware crap or contracting something through ActiveX. For my mother, everything just works.

poofyhairguy
December 4th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Linux needs a killer app like Nero. K3B is good, but it not as good as Nero. Since I've migrated to Gnome from KDE when I installed Ubuntu about a month and a half ago, I've been using X CD Roast to burn my data/audio CD's.

I agree: Nero is definatly something Windows has that Linux doesn't.

The best part about Ubuntu: my mother can get on-line to check her e-mail and surf the web without any help from me. I don't have to worry about her opening a malicious link in an e-mail or downloading some spyware crap or contracting something through ActiveX. For my mother, everything just works.

Amen. My mother love Billy Gates (for his business stragedies) but I get sick of fixing her windows box everytime I see her. So I'm begining a slow migration to Linux:

Step 1: Get her to use open source software on windows. I've installed Firefox, Open Office. I hope to think of more.

Step 2: Set up a linux install one night that looks like windows (so I guess KDE) but has this software she already knows on the desktop.

Step 3: Enjoy going home again.

HiddenWolf
December 5th, 2004, 06:39 PM
I completely use Ubuntu. I keep Windows around for gaming problems (to test if they work in Windows, basically, then boot into Ubuntu and fix (or try to fix) the problem). I haven't "used" Windows in a long time, but it's still there.

I so wish I could say that.
I'm quite addicted to my games, and I haven't seen a good RTS working on linux.

On top of that, I need a good html/php editor, before I ditch xp completely.

JsPr
December 5th, 2004, 06:59 PM
I haven't used windows for years on my box. My kids use XP for gaming (on another computer).
If I feel the urge to play a game I use Playstation 2 and motogp 3 :-). Ok, I just might try out half-life 2 on my kids box...

MoveZig
December 5th, 2004, 10:49 PM
I switched from window$ about four months ago. I used to use suse but now I'm very happy with ubuntu. I use my ubuntu box for everything. I use Cedega and all my games work, even half-life 2 and steam. All my videos work under mplayer, I couldn't be happier. No more window$ for me.

BWF89
December 6th, 2004, 12:06 AM
I haven't used windows for years on my box. My kids use XP for gaming (on another computer).
If I feel the urge to play a game I use Playstation 2 and motogp 3 :-). Ok, I just might try out half-life 2 on my kids box...
So are your kids into Linux & open source or do they just use XP for gaming?

Quake
December 6th, 2004, 05:07 AM
I switched from window$ about four months ago. I used to use suse but now I'm very happy with ubuntu. I use my ubuntu box for everything. I use Cedega and all my games work, even half-life 2 and steam. All my videos work under mplayer, I couldn't be happier. No more window$ for me.
Have you played Half-Life in Windows? If yes, was there a performace hit with Cedega?

ryan
December 6th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Six months ago I awitched to Fedora on my main work machine and haven't looked back..I am very happy with fedora core 3 a few days ago I installed Ubuntu on my dual boot laptop and really like waht I see so far. Planing on installing a dual boot witj Ubuntu on my Fedora Core 3 machine.. :D

TravisNewman
December 6th, 2004, 05:44 AM
I've played Half Life and Half Life 2 in Windows and Linux, and didn't see any performance hits, though the menu issues in HL2 and the fact that the videos playing on screens in the game don't have any audio did hinder the experience a bit, but I think they're fixing that (Cedega, not Valve)

JsPr
December 6th, 2004, 06:05 AM
So are your kids into Linux & open source or do they just use XP for gaming?
BWF89: Until recently they had SuSE in a dual boot config but now they are "all XP". I'm introducing Linux slowly and hopefully they will use it when they are old enough to choose :-)

Chibi
December 6th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Full Linux convert as soon as I first booted Knoppix. Even with KDE, the environment I hate the most, Linux was more to me than Windows could ever amount to. I still use wine to play some non-open games like Second Life and Super Zanki 2, along with the crossover plugin for quicktime and Vitalize, but there is no copy of windows, or even a fragment of it installed on any of my computers.

poofyhairguy
December 6th, 2004, 10:45 AM

Its funny. For years I always said that

"Linux won't get popular till its a good entertainment box."

Yet many said "no, your wrong. people want an os to do work"

I'll tell you, I didn't even think about Linux till I heard of mplayer!

MoveZig
December 6th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Have you played Half-Life in Windows? If yes, was there a performace hit with Cedega?

theres just minor graphical glitches. this will be resolved though on transgamings next release of cedega, since they are pledging full support for half-life 2, which is on the 7th or 8th I think...

piedamaro
December 6th, 2004, 10:16 PM
I've played Half Life and Half Life 2 in Windows and Linux, and didn't see any performance hits
Mmh, hard to believe. I'm seeing less performance even in diablo II.

MarcDM
December 7th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Well, I have 2 projects that are still under development that are windows only.

for one of them, it's a VB6 + SQL Server app, so I keep my WinXP partition unmodified, and only boot it when there's a vb6 problem to fix.

As for the other, it was an ASP + IIS + SQL2k website, I have since converted it to ASP.NET (C#) + XML compiled with Mono 1.0.5.

I have a Win2k Server in VMWare on my Ubuntu box, soley for SQL Server. It gets about 0.5-3 hours of airtime /week. And it's configured for no 'net access so it can't get viruses.

On my desktop, the things I can't do on Ubuntu, I don't do. But that's really limited to a few minor things. Like I needed to create a 256 color bmp, file yesterday... I used wine to install the demo version of Fireworks (macromedia) and I was done.

For my friends that still use windows, I tell them I know nothing about it. And take the opportunity to offer them a Gnoppix live CD. or an Ubuntu install :)

I used Suse 9.1 (with gnome) on my main PC before, but I dumped her when I met Warty.

Windows? I can't wait to finish the vb project so I have some time to trash the partition and setup the VB test suite as a VMWare machine.

jdodson
December 7th, 2004, 07:16 PM
I so wish I could say that.
I'm quite addicted to my games, and I haven't seen a good RTS working on linux.

On top of that, I need a good html/php editor, before I ditch xp completely.

checkout stratagus, its very shall we say, starcraft or warcraft 2 like:)
http://stratagus.sf.net/

if you want a REALLY good turn based strategy checkout the battle for wesnoth.

http://www.wesnoth.org/

BWF89
December 9th, 2004, 12:27 AM
checkout stratagus, its very shall we say, starcraft or warcraft 2 like:)
http://stratagus.sf.net/
I tried it for Windows but when I clicked on the icon file nothing happened. Looks pretty cool from the screenshots though...

machiner
December 20th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Solid Linux. Currently Ubuntu.

I'm putting linux back on my kids' box as well.

dvdXcopy platinum will be missed...don't talk to me about dvd::rip or mencoder or vobcopy or anything....tried 'em all.

http://www.madcarters.com/my-linux-reg.gif

mrt75
December 20th, 2004, 09:30 PM
i have windows and ubuntu linux on a dual boot my plan is to use windows for playing games and ubuntu for everything else (playing music, doing homework etc.)
i dunno if i will ever completely ditch windows in the future, i've been using windows for years and its kind of a "comfort blanket".

matt
December 21st, 2004, 03:25 AM
I've been Windows-free for about six weeks...ever since I downloaded Ubuntu. Before that, I'd had very limited exposure to Linux...just FC2 briefly. Now, Ubuntu is my only OS. My girlfriend is still running Windows on the other computer in our house - but I'll convert her eventually!

feneks
December 21st, 2004, 04:08 AM
Ubuntu and Debian are the only OS I use for 4 month.

Okay, at work people ask me for help at their W2000-machine. The last worms nearly killed windows :-D and it is now instabil but I won't reinstall it. If it can't be Linux perhaps ReactOS will be an alternative for unconvincable ones ... whenever.

Dylanby
December 24th, 2004, 09:04 PM
My situation mirrored mrt75's exactly.
I was dual-booting Linux since August, yet a recent upgrade of XP (SP1 => SP2) hosed my windows installation. I reformatted & have been Linux only for about a week.
Kind of scary for a new convert but I'm lovin' it.
My biggest issue is that the AMD64 branch (which I'm running) is not as mature as the i386 one. But it's all good.

HiddenWolf
December 25th, 2004, 11:46 AM
With pain in the heart. I have forsaken gaming, and am planning to run naught but tux for the coming year.

clparker
December 26th, 2004, 09:08 AM
I swear to god, and everything that is holy that one day i will be able to ween myself from the the horror that is windows...The biggest two things making this whole weening myself off windows is not being to really able share drives and gaming, allthough as long as i had doom 3 and quake, and UT2k4 and my Wolfenstein ET running I will be a happy camper.

Buffalo Soldier
December 26th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Been using linux on and off since 1997. Started off with RedHat 4.2 I think, pardon me if my memory does not serves me well. But after installing (dual boot with winXP) Ubuntu 2+ months ago, I found myself using Ubuntu arounnd 85% of the time.

I only boot to windows when:

1) my parent wants to webcam/chat with my brother (still havent found a solution for Logitech Quickcam Messenger)
2) I want to view movie trailers at www.apple.com/trailers
3) print to a windows-networked printer in draft mode.

Changeling
December 26th, 2004, 05:41 PM
I still have it on one of my machines, but I usually use Slackware ou Ubuntu.

zorba64
December 27th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Only in the last month.
Dual boot Slack 10 http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif as my stable os and following "Hoary" development

Michael

ubuntu UsER
December 27th, 2004, 01:53 PM
I switched to Linux completely.
Actually I'm using SuSE 9.2 Pro but I'm thinking about Ubuntu as my second OS or, maybe primary in the future ;)

2) I want to view movie trailers at www.apple.com/trailers

I'm watching these trailers using mplayer-plugin in Mozilla Firefox :)

ploum
December 27th, 2004, 01:59 PM
i am thinking of creating cinerellia deb packages when i get that to work, just have not had the time.

deb http://www.kiberpipa.org/~minmax/cinelerra/builds/sid/ ./

Buffalo Soldier
December 27th, 2004, 06:31 PM
I switched to Linux completely.
Actually I'm using SuSE 9.2 Pro but I'm thinking about Ubuntu as my second OS or, maybe primary in the future ;)

I'm watching these trailers using mplayer-plugin in Mozilla Firefox :)

Just installed it... surprised me it works :)

TopDog
December 27th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Haven't had Windows in over 6 months here, and haven't looked back a second...

Gaming is for console's :mrgreen:

I must say though, I'm planning to buy an iBook... so it won't be 100% pure linux here for long 8-)

negativ
December 29th, 2004, 05:25 AM
I have always been a fan of "alternate OS's". I was a fan of OS/2 and BeOS before they died tragically. Right now the only reason I still use Windows is for games and audio editing. If I could find a Linux app that more or less duplicated GoldWave or CoolEdit, that would be one less reason to use Windows.

poofyhairguy
December 29th, 2004, 06:06 AM
I have always been a fan of "alternate OS's". I was a fan of OS/2 and BeOS before they died tragically. Right now the only reason I still use Windows is for games and audio editing. If I could find a Linux app that more or less duplicated GoldWave or CoolEdit, that would be one less reason to use Windows.

Have you tried:

http://gsmp.exactcode.de/

Buffalo Soldier
December 29th, 2004, 06:12 AM
If I could find a Linux app that more or less duplicated GoldWave or CoolEdit, that would be one less reason to use Windows.

There are a few audio related software under GPL, and one that I think could interest you is Audacity. Maybe you have tried it and decide it's not "there" yet. But maybe your involvement and feedback as a user would help a lot in its development.

The official website is http://audacity.sourceforge.net

Or you can apt-get/synaptic it. It's in the universe repository under multimedia section.

thepoch
December 29th, 2004, 06:18 AM
I used to dual-boot WinXP and Linux on my Thinkpad T30. But the only time I booted in WinXP was to update it and the AVG antivirus running on it. Other than that I never actually used it. Now my laptop's completely running Ubuntu. It used to be Fedora, but I've found Ubuntu easier to use, maintain, and more stable for my needs.

On my desktop, it's still Windows (2000). That's because I haven't had the time to teach my sister to use Linux. It should be easy enough since she's already using OpenOffice.org and Firefox on Windows, the 2 apps she really needs. I'm pretty sure that as long as she can surf and type, it'll be no problem.

CowPie
December 29th, 2004, 06:28 AM
I am compeltely switched :) (I hate games)

CowPie
December 29th, 2004, 06:29 AM
There are a few audio related software under GPL, and one that I think could interest you is Audacity. Maybe you have tried it and decide it's not "there" yet. But maybe your involvement and feedback as a user would help a lot in its development.

The official website is http://audacity.sourceforge.net

Or you can apt-get/synaptic it. It's in the universe repository under multimedia section.
I think Rosegarden4 is also an excellent MIDI softwares/sequencer? too

CowPie
December 29th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Rosegarden: http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

alpha
December 29th, 2004, 03:44 PM
I'll still be keeping a windows box running, but will be switching to linux for future builds.

wazoo
December 29th, 2004, 05:53 PM
I made the switch two and a half years ago.

Our original poster said he couldn't get his Canon printer to work under Linux. I wound up getting a Canon i250 for free, and discovered a wonderful utility, available for free review, from http://www.turboprint.de/english.html. They claim to cover almost every Canon model. The i850 is on the list.

I've used the product for several months now. It works as advertised. It did cost some money, but a reasonable value. (About $35 bucks, as I recall.)

TravisNewman
December 29th, 2004, 05:59 PM
35 bucks!!! You can get a printer for cheaper than that when they go on specials at office stores. They should go waaaay down on the price.

Quest-Master
December 29th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Go to gnome-apps.org and look under Multimedia. They have many sequencers and synthesizers rivaling software like Cubase and Cakewalk.

Ozitraveller
December 30th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Sadly no!

Many of my clients are still clinging to their old ways. But there are cracks appearing as MS licensing fees are starting to bite! MySql is looking like a real possibility to replace MSSQL Server for a couple of corp clients. Web farms with multi-processor servers are a real licensing fee money spinner for MS. If there was a seamless way to transition data, UDF, stored procs, etc... from MS SQL to MySQL or something OSS then the possibilities would be clearer to move.......

Dylanby
December 30th, 2004, 01:02 PM
CowPie wrote:

I am compeltely switched (I hate games)

What you say !!
You have no chance to survive make your time.

[j/k]

TravisNewman
December 30th, 2004, 02:51 PM
CowPie wrote:

What you say !!
You have no chance to survive make your time.

[j/k]
*LOL*
I got so sick of Zero Wing references, but that's one of the best placed ones ever.

rbrimhall
December 30th, 2004, 03:11 PM
I've been running linux exclusively (at home) for over 2 years.

jakeslife
December 31st, 2004, 12:00 AM
I have switched on my main hard drive, but until I have enough CD's or an external HD to back up 80 gigs of data, I have to keep my windows hard drive for now.

leviathon
December 31st, 2004, 02:55 AM
I run linux 100%, although I do use vmware to run XP at work for a few things. I'm not a big gamer, but when I'm in the mood for games I play ps2 on the big screen :mrgreen:

Dylanby
December 31st, 2004, 05:06 AM
jakeslife: you should look into getting a dvd burner. They're fairly cheap now.

I bought one in September (NEC 3500) solely for backing up data.
(The 3500 has great 3rd party firmware available on the net.)

One single layer dvd holds more than 6 cd's worth of data.
I only use cd's now for burning iso's or music cd's.

telmo
December 31st, 2004, 05:29 AM
Unfortunately i can't get rid of Windows so soon!
I teach Windows... so soon i won't forget about it... and i hate it!

fng
December 31st, 2004, 11:13 AM
desktop : ubuntu
laptop : powerbook with MacOSX Panther

No more windows here :) for quite some time now (about a year)

crun
December 31st, 2004, 12:29 PM
Switched to 100% Linux about 1 1/2 years ago (using Libranet at the time).

Sometimes I wonder if I might not try dual booting again to see if I'm missing anything, but then a friend calls me round for some fun hours of wiping viruses and trojans from their XP box and I quickly change my mind again :mrgreen:

alpha
December 31st, 2004, 02:27 PM
Switched to 100% Linux about 1 1/2 years ago (using Libranet at the time).

Sometimes I wonder if I might not try dual booting again to see if I'm missing anything, but then a friend calls me round for some fun hours of wiping viruses and trojans from their XP box and I quickly change my mind again :mrgreen:
Nope, you aren't missing anything. :D

Can't wait to switch. :D

Magneto
January 1st, 2005, 03:41 AM
I use linux for everything pretty much I have XP on this laptop to run certain apps that wont work in wine- but I use gentoo for my laptop and ubuntu for my primary server - I discovered I could do everything in Linux 2 years ago and since then its been F You MS

XP just seems like trash to me now

Mira
January 1st, 2005, 01:04 PM
People...before you read this, please brace yourself...I'm gonna say something very shocking.
I've been a DOS user for 8 years.
*Ducks under the desk to avoid possible projectiles*
Yeah, I've used DOS, I've always liked it much better then Windows and Linux I just didn't know.....let alone Mac OS.
I had a DOS 6.....whatever on a 486, and a 28k8 modem attached to it so I could fetch mail from my fave BBS's that I read in that old prog called Bluewave to which I attached some self written progs and batch files to make my mails look fancy and steal all the taglines.
Those were the old days...the ancient days now.

Few years ago I met this neighbour who bought a new fancy machine; a P4 with winXP on it and another neighbour "helped" him to install it. Some days later I helped him to fix the mess the other neighbour made. Later I helped him hook it up to ADSL and we learned the dangers of internet and their names.
A lot wiser and sicker of the ******* I learned from the neighbour the existance of a very handy device that could get me a big computer as well, that wonder called credit card. And we shared the highspeed internet that could get me all the Linuxes I could want.
I looked around and took Mandrake for a first pick. Mandrake 9.0 installation was a breeze...except for the drivers I had to fetch first to get ethernet working.
I learned alot about Apache and PHP and MySQL and was happy for about a year until I got hacked and realized I just had to learn to get new kernels and...shudder...a new version that was still supported...
The 9.1, 9.2 and even 10.0 versions of Mandrake all were major dissappointments. The ethernet shutted down just after starting...the Xserver crashed a lot.
So I switched to Debian..which required and still requires me to compile a new kernel and videodrivers before working...but it would work!
Now I also got a laptop....yeah I'm modernizing finally...and decided I would like some more modern softwares as well. I gave Mandrake another try...they've had plenty time to iron out the bugs.....but apparantly while the install looks great, the drivers get screwed up afterwards and whenever more then a few keys are pressed the screen gives "dogpuke", which pretty much makes debugging impossible.
Now I'm giving Ubuntu a try...loved the lack of bells and whistles at first sight...now I just hope I'll get the desktop working.
But not today...today I'm suffering enormously from a massive hang over from yesterdays beer...ouch..

node
January 1st, 2005, 02:02 PM
I'm trying really hard, my xp box is only on for itunes streaming radio.

Cloudchaser
January 2nd, 2005, 02:20 PM
I use linux most of the time but unfortunately still have some applications that will only work on windows, such as some of the gps applications I use. I have an old desktop that runs windows with the Windows-only applications I need on it.

My laptop dual boot for those times when I need to do something in a hurry which isn't set up on linux and don't have time to mess around trying to get it to work. I also haven't gotten my winmodem to work so when I travel I use windows for dial-up. At home I use cable so that works fine.

Kareema
January 2nd, 2005, 02:53 PM
I completely switched to Ubuntu Linux AMD64 some weeks ago and am quite happy with it...

Lovechild
January 2nd, 2005, 05:01 PM
People...before you read this, please brace yourself...I'm gonna say something very shocking.
I've been a DOS user for 8 years.
*Ducks under the desk to avoid possible projectiles*
Yeah, I've used DOS, I've always liked it much better then Windows and Linux I just didn't know.....let alone Mac OS.
I had a DOS 6.....whatever on a 486, and a 28k8 modem attached to it so I could fetch mail from my fave BBS's that I read in that old prog called Bluewave to which I attached some self written progs and batch files to make my mails look fancy and steal all the taglines.
Those were the old days...the ancient days now.

DOS was great, I used it since I was 6 - I remember when we got Windows 3.11 to run on our machine - man I was so disappointed with it's performance.

Oh and the memory improvement program.. what was that called.. started with a Q - it was awesome, a few reboots and you had nearly your entire 640KB free for usage. And Stacker...

I used to code little menu programs in batch using Nortons ASCII art toolkit, it was so great.

mark
January 2nd, 2005, 05:04 PM
DOS was great, I used it since I was 6 - I remember when we got Windows 3.11 to run on our machine - man I was so disappointed with it's performance.

Oh and the memory improvement program.. what was that called.. started with a Q - it was awesome, a few reboots and you had nearly your entire 640KB free for usage. And Stacker...

I used to code little menu programs in batch using Nortons ASCII art toolkit, it was so great.
QEMM386 from Quarterdeck Software...wonderful program!

Niomi
January 3rd, 2005, 03:04 AM
I've been using Ubuntu off and on for about a week now.. I'm pretty pleased so far!

Unfortunatly no matter how much I like Ubuntu, I have to keep Windows around for The Sims and my schooling-- I go to school online and the software supports nothing but Windows! I'd like to convince my parents that graduating 8th grade isn't as important as being a Linux purist, but my arguments just haven't stuck.

;)

Ozitraveller
January 3rd, 2005, 04:53 AM
I've been using Ubuntu off and on for about a week now.. I'm pretty pleased so far!

Unfortunatly no matter how much I like Ubuntu, I have to keep Windows around for The Sims and my schooling-- I go to school online and the software supports nothing but Windows! I'd like to convince my parents that graduating 8th grade isn't as important as being a Linux purist, but my arguments just haven't stuck.

;)

Hi Niomi

Have you tried wine:
http://www.winehq.com/

or cedega (for games!)?
http://www.transgaming.com/products_linux.php

Keep being curious!!!

Sensebend
January 3rd, 2005, 06:06 PM
I run Ubuntu only for my own use, though I support several Windows systems and occasionally the odd Mac.

telmo
January 3rd, 2005, 06:42 PM
I JUST DID!!!
I only use Ubuntu now! ;) Although i have some issues to solve...

Niomi
January 3rd, 2005, 07:37 PM
Hi Niomi

Have you tried wine:
http://www.winehq.com/

or cedega (for games!)?
http://www.transgaming.com/products_linux.php

Keep being curious!!!

Yes, I have!

I'm completely inexpirienced with packages and I don't have any idea how to use them yet. I need to read about it and do some trial and error, unfortunatly, now that christmas break is over school takes priority again. :(

I know windows like the back of my hand, so I'll have to keep it on my system at least till I get WINE figured out.

Ozitraveller
January 3rd, 2005, 10:45 PM
Yes, I have!

I'm completely inexpirienced with packages and I don't have any idea how to use them yet. I need to read about it and do some trial and error, unfortunatly, now that christmas break is over school takes priority again. :(

I know windows like the back of my hand, so I'll have to keep it on my system at least till I get WINE figured out.

I'm in a similar situation myself, I'm stuck with windows for the time being. So I'm trying learn as much as I can so that I have more and more control over my linux environment every time I do a rebuild or try a new package. I have tried a few of the various linux distros: Red Hat, Fedora, Debian, Xandros, Mandrake, Suse, Damn Small Linux, Progeny 2.0, Skolelinux (very interesting school distro!!!) and have decided that I like the Debian flavour. I started with Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 “woody”, and eventually got it working, and must admit that it took a few tries to get it to install correctly. Now I'm using Debian Net Installer RC2 "sarge". I have setup 2 old pc's: a PII/400 with Ubuntu 'Hoary" and a PII/300 with Debian "Sarge" (minimal install).

Anyway, I'm still learning, and I've been asking questions all over the place. And somebody suggested that I try 'Linux From Scratch'. I had a look at their online book (also downloadable).

So I've added some references for you, for when you have the time!

Linux From Scratch:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/news.html
Book:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/6.0/

Worth a read:

Ubuntu Mini-RAM HOWTO
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=42597#post42597

Ubuntu Mini-RAM HOWTO
http://www.binonabiso.com/en/Ubuntu-miniRAM-HOWTO.html

Debian Installation with the Net-Installer RC2
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9271

jbh
January 4th, 2005, 11:29 AM
I have a completely modded/hacked XP setup that I only use for gaming. Everything else I do in Linux. I never had virus problems or anything in XP since i've always used a router and used firefox/configured my own firewall. I also didn't pay for XP I just warez'd it off USEnet, which is my biggest problem. XP Pro costs way too much. the more open source stuff I used in XP the more I leaned towards porting everything to linux and supporting open source fully.

nocturn
January 4th, 2005, 12:08 PM
I started with Linux in 1997 (RedHat 5).
A bit later I installed SuSE 5 with KDE 1 (very cool)

I've been Windows-free since 1999 !
Switching over completely in those days was not easy, there was nothing like OpenOffice or Evolution arround. KDE 1 was usable, but still quite bare.
But I preferred it over Windows (a re-install every 6 months, counless hours spent just trying to do normal work).

Since then, I've used:
SuSE
Mandrake
FreeBSD (not Linux, but Unix-like)
Gentoo
Debian (stable, knoppix, ...)

And finally: Ubuntu (now my main desktop OS).

paulle
January 4th, 2005, 02:06 PM
i used mandrake and kanotix (a knoppix-derivat), i have a win installed for making tax-declaration. i have problems to run the tax-declaration (germany) under wine.
if wine will get more comfortable one day, i can delete win.

zeroK
January 4th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I made the switch somewhen 2001. I play games only on consoles anyway ;-)

lockenkeyster
January 4th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I only boot into winXP to play Q3 or civ3, other than that, I'm a linux kid for 6 months running now! I never had problems of my own with window$, just needed to have a little fun while I was working...

I'm somewhat of a masochist though, as I work windows desktop support for the thrills... and of course the girls = )

fng
January 4th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Q3 has a native linux port
Why boot into windows for that?

rolando
January 4th, 2005, 10:05 PM
I have been dual booting for 3 years on every laptop I have had. I do and have done a lot of desktop support for XP / Novell / GroupWise, so I still keep a copy live and kicking for reference work and lab testing (SP2 for instance).

I always keep a DOS partition between the two systems for keeping my music on. For personal use I only use Linux.

I started with Corel Linux many moons ago, but always failed to get my modem working. I then went to Mandrake, then SuSE for a few versions, but was getting bored and more and more frustrated with what felt like the large and clunky KDE and was on 9.1 when my friend told me about Unbuntu, I have been happily here for a couple of months now and loving it.

I feel the Unbutu desktop is as good a windows for web browsing and for basic office documents and with utilities such as Firestarter and F-Prot, firewall and anti-virus have the same prescene and give peace of mind that such programs as Sygate and Ad-Aware or InnoculateIT / Norton etc.

I know for sure that the office where I work could go over to a Linux desktop environment, but unfortunately is a M$ shop and will be as they are retiring the Netware servers and going over to Windo$e! :-(

Maybe one day I will have a completely Windows free laptop, with each day I suppose that gets a little closer.
:D

LordCantenberry
January 4th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I can remember years ago, after seeing a segment about Linux on the Screen Savers, I decided to try out Linux. I bought one of those Teach Yourself Linux books that came along with Redhat 5.x. I was amazed at how quickly it made my then, Pentium 75mhz computer run, even with its paltry 16mb of RAM.

Over the years I have dabbled with linux until recently switching to Ubuntu for good. There are still moments that I yearn for the comfort of Windows, mainly when I want to run some obscure program.

This is a list of programs that I still wish had a good linux equivalant:
-DVD Shrink (I seem not to be the only one)
-NERO
-Access (for the sole fact that I know how to use it and am set in my ways)

As you can see, my list isnt very long. Most of these programs I wish for are solely wished for because I know them well, adn dont want to learn anything else. DVD shrink is the exception to that rule. Of all those programs the database solution is the most crucial for some research I am conducting with some friends and also for an easy way to search my book collection.

Overall in switching the most key thing I found is to always remember that your not using windows anymore. DOnt be upset that things dont work right for you. They do work right, they just work the right way in a different way under linux.

christooss
January 5th, 2005, 08:08 PM
I was using 4-5 linux distibusions but none worked like ubuntu linux. Befor that I used WIN98/95 for several years and WINXP for about few days because nothing worked in them. In ubuntu everything is WORKING PERFECT!

Proud user of Ubuntu linux 4.10 8)

HiddenWolf
January 6th, 2005, 05:29 PM

I took the step. The only game i've got left in my house is Rome:Total War.
The rest is still at my parent's

My windows is deleted, my ntfs partitions are gone, and with it about 20 gig of stored software, games and iso's.

I'll start playing games once I've gotten myself a nvidia gfx card tho.

lockenkeyster
January 6th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Q3 has a native linux port
Why boot into windows for that?

I did have Q3 setup in ubuntu, but I had SERIOUS slowdown issues with my integrated video... I read about a fix but just haven't had the time to get to taking care of it

HiddenWolf
January 6th, 2005, 09:32 PM
I did have Q3 setup in ubuntu, but I had SERIOUS slowdown issues with my integrated video... I read about a fix but just haven't had the time to get to taking care of it
You are running Q3 on an IGP?

lockenkeyster
January 7th, 2005, 01:48 AM
You are running Q3 on an IGP?

not much choice, seeing as how it is a laptop... it runs fine in windows, just as well as my desktop...

biggyfries
January 10th, 2005, 01:50 AM
I took out my xp drive, and am running Ubuntu completely on the desktop, for the moment. only problem i am having is getting dvdshrink to work in Wine, and have it recognize by dvd drive. Once done, then i will not be afarid to wipe that xp disk for more free space.

Chokableu
January 10th, 2005, 11:37 PM
I zero-blanked the HDD i had Windows on and I'm now with Ubuntu Linux completely.
I'm happy to have been able to get rid of Windows.
Among the things I miss the most :

- pdfcreator ( http://sector7g.wurzel6.de/pdfcreator/index_en.htm ) or a solution to easily print any documents to pdf, apart from printing first to ps then doing ps2pdf

- 7zip an excellent compressor with 7z format; i've just learned that a CLI linux version is in unstable stage. Waiting for a GUI integrated in Gnome some day...

- I'll have to look for an alternative solution to Access (easy query and reporting tool for MySql).

Long live to the free world !

scannereaf
January 11th, 2005, 02:49 AM
im so glad i have unbuntu installed.. before i had win98 se and xp installed...so far m enjoying working on some configurations...thanks a lot for ur help guys!

overmannr
January 11th, 2005, 03:39 AM
I am one of those guys that needs somone to fix my computer every week. I made a switch about two weeks ago because the guy who fixes the computer every week got a little tired of telling me over and over again that "it would all be better if you just got rid of windows." Plus a bad virus hit the comp and he had to clean slate it anyways.

So now things are working well but I can't find any online radio stations, In fact, I can't find any way to get any music off of the internet. That is like half the reason I use a computer. I am thinking about going back just to get real player back.

Snomad
January 11th, 2005, 05:03 AM
We could go completely Linux if my sons could play Shockwave based games.

So FWIW, I've added my name here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/linuxswp/petition.html

Cheers, Dave.

Chokableu
January 11th, 2005, 05:35 AM
[...]
<< So now things are working well but I can't find any online radio stations, In fact, I can't find any way to get any music off of the internet. That is like half the reason I use a computer. I am thinking about going back just to get real player back.[/QUOTE]

It's easy to install . It will ask you in which directory you want it to be installed (I said /usr/local/RealPlayer ).

Furthermore, you have an open-source alternative, which is Helix. Quoted from their site:
"The Helix Player is the Helix Community's open source media player for consumers. It is being developed to have a rich and usable graphical interface and support a variety of open media formats like Ogg Vorbis, Theora etc.
The RealPlayer for Linux is built on top of the Helix Player for Linux and includes support for several non-open source components including RealAudio/RealVideo, MP3 etc."
https://player.helixcommunity.org/

Chokableu
January 12th, 2005, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=Chokableu]I zero-blanked the HDD i had Windows on and I'm now with Ubuntu Linux completely.
I'm happy to have been able to get rid of Windows.
Among the things I miss the most :

- pdfcreator ( http://sector7g.wurzel6.de/pdfcreator/index_en.htm ) or a solution to easily print any documents to pdf, apart from printing first to ps then doing ps2pdf

.../...

Well, i'm correcting myself . I just discovered that there is an easy way to do this : using cups-pdf .
It's well explained at
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/FrFaqTechnique#cups-pdf (it's in French, I don't know where the english link is).
It's working well for me. Thanks to the Ubuntu people here.

rider343
January 12th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I don't have more windows partitions on my hd :)

Magneto
January 13th, 2005, 10:09 AM
We could go completely Linux if my sons could play Shockwave based games.

So FWIW, I've added my name here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/linuxswp/petition.html

Cheers, Dave.
couldnt switch my girl's laptop over for that reason too - java and shockwave and they wont make it able to play on linux smh

node
January 13th, 2005, 10:46 AM
In about 6 weeks I'm moving from the Netherlands to Ireland, and I'm bringing my sony vaio PCG-FX505 with me, which is ubuntu-based :)
It'll be the only piece of hardware I'll have to use :mrgreen:
Only need to buy a new battery because this one doesnt hold out more than 5 minutes under X (30 without X;))

Randabis
January 14th, 2005, 02:38 AM
I am one of those guys that needs somone to fix my computer every week. I made a switch about two weeks ago because the guy who fixes the computer every week got a little tired of telling me over and over again that "it would all be better if you just got rid of windows." Plus a bad virus hit the comp and he had to clean slate it anyways.

So now things are working well but I can't find any online radio stations, In fact, I can't find any way to get any music off of the internet. That is like half the reason I use a computer. I am thinking about going back just to get real player back.

For streaming radio, check out a program called streamtuner. It's available in the universe repositories I believe. I displays shoutcast and other networks.

I am completely ubuntu based now on both my laptop and main box. I got pissed of at windows for the last time last week so I completely formatted it and started over (I have a ubuntu/windows dual setup before) with a fresh install. I'm now running hoary on both systems 24/7. :)

nicholaspaul
January 22nd, 2005, 10:06 AM
Once i get married and no longer need a webcam ( about 3 weeks ) I will stick with OSX (mainly for work - graphic design - and recording music) and Ubuntu for personal stuff - surfing , email , chatting., and bookeeping.
I cant wait to say I dont use Windows

steffen
January 22nd, 2005, 04:04 PM
I use my laptop for connecting to wireless networks, graphics, web design, some PHP, server management, college work, media playback (music and videos), and general web and email.

I installed Linux half a year ago, just to see what it was like. I came across a screenshot tour on osdir, and it looked so good, I gave Suse 9.1 a try, since I could dual boot with Win XP. I wasn't completely pleased, switched to Xandros and then Fedora core 2, which I dual booted with Win XP.

When I came across Ubuntu, I switched my Fedora, still dual booting. About a week ago, I got a new computer, and since I hadn't booted into Windows for a couple of months, I decided to do without.

Now, I'll never go back to anything else. Ubuntu works like a charm on my IBM Thinkpad. A lot better than Win XP, with hardware detection, and especially software.

Thanks Ubuntu! ;)

...now my friends are downloading Ubuntu as well :-P

Lynx
January 22nd, 2005, 06:04 PM
I use Ubuntu exclusively, I won't touch Micro$oft programs. I've been using Linux since last august, SUSE first and then started with Ubuntu a few weeks ago.

Gezzer
January 22nd, 2005, 08:44 PM
i started with red hat 7 & got well lost
including RH 8 9
fedora 1, 2, 3.
Xandros then Linspire
now ubuntu
and i still don't know the command line it loses me every time

any one got any ideas how to set K3B so i can use it in sudo ?..

jdong
January 22nd, 2005, 08:50 PM
any one got any ideas how to set K3B so i can use it in sudo ?..

Make a new thread about it. Don't stray from the current topic.

akurashy
January 23rd, 2005, 01:23 AM
well i haave windows and ubuntu in the same HD but i use ubuntu as main OS

just because i like rise of nations >_< and other games :(

Viro
January 23rd, 2005, 11:33 PM
I use Linux most of the time now (>90%). The rest of the time, I use OS X. If Linux fully supported my Powerbook, I'd switch instantly.

Mike Nasvadi
January 24th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I switched from OSX which is a cool, but Mac's are so damn expensive. Plus I wanted to try out Ubuntu - so far so good.

digital_k
January 24th, 2005, 01:17 PM
I haven't completely made the change over ..yet...but I do find myself using windows less and less and less.... :)

lilpac
January 24th, 2005, 11:02 PM
i Completly removed windows :p
ubuntu All the way

ctt1wbw
January 25th, 2005, 01:11 AM
I'm very very close to erasing my XP partition. I only need a few things to work in Ubuntu. I can't figure out how to get sound from MPlayer. I want something to work with my iPod and I would love to find a PocketPC synch program. Other than that, I haven't booted into Windows in a few days and that was just to try to copy my Outlook contacts into Evolution, which didn't go all that well. :)

dr-ducati
January 25th, 2005, 01:48 AM
My main machine is running Linux for some years (5 I think). But there is one reason I have to use Win up to now: I can't find a presenter that let ECG look as good on a beamer as Powerpoint does. It's a pitty! But the guys from Microsoft did one thingt better than open source.
And yes, the issue with ACPI and notebooks is not working for my convenience... so after all I'm afraid to say that o my business notebook XPpro is still running.

8)

Dirk

poofyhairguy
January 25th, 2005, 05:44 AM
My main machine is running Linux for some years (5 I think). But there is one reason I have to use Win up to now: I can't find a presenter that let ECG look as good on a beamer as Powerpoint does. It's a pitty! But the guys from Microsoft did one thingt better than open source.
And yes, the issue with ACPI and notebooks is not working for my convenience... so after all I'm afraid to say that o my business notebook XPpro is still running.

8)

Dirk

I will just say that in my experiance, Crossover Office makes one version old Office work great with Linux.

I'll leave it at that...

poofyhairguy
January 25th, 2005, 05:47 AM
I'm very very close to erasing my XP partition. I only need a few things to work in Ubuntu. I can't figure out how to get sound from MPlayer. I want something to work with my iPod and I would love to find a PocketPC synch program. Other than that, I haven't booted into Windows in a few days and that was just to try to copy my Outlook contacts into Evolution, which didn't go all that well. :)

1. Try getting all the codecs in the Ubuntu Guide. I use Gxine myself- It works better than mplayer on Ubuntu for me.

2. GTKpod works great with an iPod. I like it better than iTunes (iTunes works well enough with crossover office). jdong has a backport of it for Warty on his site. Us forum people will help you do the rest.

3. Hmmmm. I wish I could find a pocketpc sync program...I'm going to try it in crossover soon.

akurashy
January 25th, 2005, 06:35 AM
i cant switch completely
as you see im a designer and i use dreamweaver to much
so i guess i need to find someting 10x better than it :(

poofyhairguy
January 25th, 2005, 06:40 AM
i cant switch completely
as you see im a designer and i use dreamweaver to much
so i guess i need to find someting 10x better than it :(

There are ways to get dreamweaver to run in Linux.

http://www.codeweavers.com/images/appdb_shots/dreamweavermx_vintage.gif

Rule
January 25th, 2005, 07:16 AM
I switched completely and I like it...tho it would be nice to get my scanner working but thats ok don't need it anyways 8)

martyr
January 25th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I couldn't do my IT homework lately, as I don't have any Windows operating system installed right now.

I think you could call that a complete switch ;)

Admittedly, I'm going to have a small Windows partition on my notebook as soon as it's back from repair. For school and paid job purposes only, though :)

fromoze
January 26th, 2005, 01:38 AM
I'm using just linux since 2002. I get MY first computer (none my brother's) on June 2001. It cames with WindowsMe. Some months later, I start using all the Open Source Software I can... then I was sooo booored that I try LiteStep, but it wasn't enough. I make my first dual boot installation at the end of 2001, I was fighting against my hardware... and it was too much dificult for a newbie. I tried Mandrake, but I hate all the stars around.. I try to stay with w2k and Open Source applications.. but I was sad :) In 2002, after exams (march or april) I can't wait more. I find Libranet. It worked more or less.. and after that, just linux!!

About games.. my old PsOne, something on wine (like Max Payne), Quake3 and all the nice games on Linux (wesnoth, neverball, frozen-bubble...)

akurashy
January 26th, 2005, 02:27 AM
There are ways to get dreamweaver to run in Linux.

http://www.codeweavers.com/images/appdb_shots/dreamweavermx_vintage.gif

now thats interesting :D

nikopol
January 26th, 2005, 03:13 AM
Completely Linux now though I may install W98 on a partition for playing some old games. There's no way I would accept to pay for XP so that's a non starter (plus the hardware lock-in thing seems like a complete pain in the posterior - something I just would not be able to deal with without getting very angry).

Kicked Mandrake off my computer two days back to install Hoary on there. Not regretting it yet ;)

DirtDawg
January 27th, 2005, 01:43 AM
I still use Window$ alot. What can I say? Ubuntu is installed on an old imac I have which isn't connected to the internet (fyi: been a linux user for a little under 2 years. Exclusive user for 1 of those) So I use WIndow$ for interent, games (Battlefield 1942 is like cocaine), and I use Photoshop/Illustrator/scanners, etc alot so it's just more convenient and faster (newer PC) to use the Window$ machine. Besides, my girlfriend would whoop me if I ditched Window$ as she uses it for work.
That being said, however, the vast, vast majority of software on the Window$ machine is open source. Blender, Firefox, Miranda IM, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, etc, etc. I use the Linux Box as often as possible, but I find the "Open-source-everything-but-the-OS" a good comprimise. If you got to use windows, at least try to make it enjoyable O:)

Tichondrius
January 27th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Actually, ******* is only good for gaming, at least for me. No point to argue about that. But for all the work related stuff, there is absolutely no reason to use *******, Linux is way better for almost everything. I switched to almost 100% (everything except some games) Linux for a couple of months now, and I don't see why anyone that uses windows only for "work" can't use linux instead. Corporations should be the first to ditch Windows, as gaming is not part of their requirements, and with it they would get rid of the Virus headaches (==expenses).

DirtDawg
January 27th, 2005, 02:07 AM
I suppose it depends how you define "work". Work for us consists of alot of "non-office" type jobs (graphic design, layout, etc). My girlfriend also uses Microsoft Access because her database person understands it. I looked for an open source database, but they all seemed, um.. difficult? I dunno because I don't understand the first thing about databases. Anyway, it's up to her database person, so no choice there.
For anything else "office-like", we use Ooo or jmoney or whatever else.

peas, bra

Eriks
January 27th, 2005, 02:15 AM
I have been using various Linux distributions for at least 6 years.
I'm not a gamer but since I have Cedega - I can play the most of all games I want.
When I need for some reasons run a windows based application - I use CrossOver Office.
I really don't know any reason to switch from Linux to Windows.

gladbird
January 27th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Can't completely make the switch yet (unfortunately)

Numero Uno - GAMES

and #2 - high end audio editing...linux isn't quite there as far as I've found, but then again I'm only a couple month old linux noob so if anyone knows of some STELLAR audio editors (audacity doesn't cut the mustard) let me know please.

My first experience to linux was gentoo....(very cool btw) but compiling takes far too long for me...oh how I love apt-get.

P.S.

Kudos to all you who post non- [-( responses to us noobs questions...they're EXTREMELY helpful. THANKS!!!!

darkghost
January 27th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Since January 1st 05 no more windows on my PCs. Games aren't so good on linux
so I simply use my xbox for games. For Office stuff OOffice is great. I only miss a graphical front end to mysql or an easy database for tasks not too complex (suggestions?).

Graphics are ok...my nikon D70 is recognized by Linux, Gimp & inkscape rocks.

Multimedia...uhm some problems with mplayer in ubuntu hoary. Installed it from marillat with all the dependencies etc. but when i open a video it hangs there. I use Xine now and no problem...thought I'd like to have mplayer working fine...

Internet...no need to talk about this...Linux beats Microsoft under every point of view... (maybe an improved DC++ client would help..but who cares)

By the way...i totally switched to linux. And I'm pretty happy. I only miss some little things but time, updates and experience will cover these fortunately....

See ya

perebcn
January 27th, 2005, 02:19 PM
I'm using Ubuntu as my primary OS, but I have to use Terminal Server to connect to a Win2000 Aplication Server cause we have a Windows Domain, ans I still haven't been able to get into the Windows filesystem usins smb (there's a pop up window that tells me that I have no acces, it doesn't ask my username on Windows domain). Otherwise I listen to music, I navigate throught the net using Firefox (it's Great), I play Enemy Territory (Free & Great)... What I'm looking for is a soft to record CD/DVD, any suggestion¿?

Jad
January 27th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Ubuntu is my main OS now, and its the only installed on my main computer, how ever since I don't have play station, Microsoft have a product called Windows, its very good for gaming..
so I have it installed on my test box, usually I use this test box for testing new distro's and windows gaming.

Quest-Master
January 27th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Just got rid of Windows. :)

dstrebel
January 28th, 2005, 08:28 AM
have a 6g windows for any of my classes that require me to use VB Dreamweaver etc.
But for the most part Linux for everything else

Perfect Storm
January 28th, 2005, 11:00 AM
What's windows? :-$ ;)

sanman_nor
January 28th, 2005, 06:45 PM
I decided to quit windows cold turky, I plunged my self in head first, little experiance, I hope to convert pople to Linux, but showing them how easy it is... I still have a lot of learning to do

poofyhairguy
January 31st, 2005, 06:04 AM
Since January 1st 05 no more windows on my PCs. Games aren't so good on linux
so I simply use my xbox for games.

Recently I just bought a gamecube for the same reason- that I wouldn't miss windows with my ATI card.

Multimedia...uhm some problems with mplayer in ubuntu hoary. Installed it from marillat with all the dependencies etc. but when i open a video it hangs there. I use Xine now and no problem...thought I'd like to have mplayer working fine...

The only way-

http://linuxforums.org/tutorials/1/tutorial-25783.html

WelshPenguin
January 31st, 2005, 04:50 PM
After playing around with Linux for a few years I have moved as much of my stuff out of XP and into Linux as I can. I bought a GameCube so that I wouldn't need to rely on Windows for gaming. The only thing that keeps me from erasing XP altogether is University stuff (Im a student) and I need VS.Net and Access for a lot of coursework. I do the rest of my coursework in OO.org and Java using Linux. One day I'll be totally free ;-)

towner
January 31st, 2005, 08:50 PM
There's no Windows on my computer (celeron 400), and there hasn't been for over a year now.

My partner has a windows xp machine. I've tried to convert her to Ubuntu but she doesnt like computers and thats why she sticks with windows.
The kids (aged 6 and 10) have a windows me and Ubuntu dual boot. Windows is used to play games and they like Ubuntu for instant messaging and four-in-a-row.

I managed to drop windows by just deciding not to use it. I'm not a gamer so it was easy. I instantly began to enjoy using my computer and am learning more every day.

If only it was so easy to quit smoking

:wink:

poofyhairguy
January 31st, 2005, 09:11 PM
I've tried to convert her to Ubuntu but she doesnt like computers and thats why she sticks with windows.

More like:

"she doesn't like computers BECAUSE she sticks with windows."

:-P

adbak
January 31st, 2005, 09:54 PM
I'm pretty much Windows-free. I use it sparingly. In fact, the only time I use it is to rip songs (=>mp3). I use CDex in Windows because I like how I'm able to select what I want the filename to be. If there were a Linux app that had that functionality I'd use it in a heartbeat.

For example, I like my filenames to be:
Artist - Album - Track Number with leading 0 - Track Name.mp3
and I like them to be ripped into folders with Artist - Album naming scheme.

And I'd use .ogg but my car mp3 player doesn't know how to play oggs.

poofyhairguy
January 31st, 2005, 10:05 PM
I'm pretty much Windows-free. I use it sparingly. In fact, the only time I use it is to rip songs (=>mp3). I use CDex in Windows because I like how I'm able to select what I want the filename to be. If there were a Linux app that had that functionality I'd use it in a heartbeat.

And I'd use .ogg but my car mp3 player doesn't know how to play oggs.

Ripperx for gnome is Ok and it is in the universe repo.

anthony_barker
February 6th, 2005, 04:26 PM
I've been using linux on and off since 1993/94. Since 2004 almost exclusively. At work I convinced them to give me virtual pc (locked down pc) so I boot into windows and then run linux from there. Home machines are all linux.

Wine needs to run 2 more apps properly and I can ditch windows for good at work.

miho
February 6th, 2005, 10:53 PM
I haven't booted Windows for four months.

I play UT2K4, Q3, D3, SNES ROMS, and Frozen Bubble. I stay entertained.
I want to play Counter-Strike on Ubuntu but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to find an installer for Linux. ](*,)
Oh yeah, I haven't used Windows since November.

anthony_barker
February 6th, 2005, 11:06 PM
I'm pretty much Windows-free. I use it sparingly. In fact, the only time I use it is to rip songs (=>mp3). ...

Check out grip - it allows you to define the naming convention. A bit confusing at first, but feature rich.

poofyhairguy
February 6th, 2005, 11:18 PM
I want to play Counter-Strike on Ubuntu but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to find an installer for Linux. ](*,)
Oh yeah, I haven't used Windows since November.

Use cedega.

Look on the forums for it.

paul cooke
February 7th, 2005, 12:58 AM

;)

there's a guy posted in the Wine Application Database that he's successfully got The Sims 1 working with WINE which is rather amusing considering that The Sims was available as a "Linux version" which required WINE to run it, but the normal ms-windows version didn't work with WINE...

http://appdb.winehq.org/

stick sims into the search window, and then click on the 1.0 that appears in the version window after clicking on the entry for the original sims...

lucus
February 8th, 2005, 04:37 AM
my dad kicked me down a toshiba tecra. it had win2000 on it, and he didn't know the password. i decided the best thing to do was wipe it clean and start with some sort of GNU/Linux system. at first i thought about Redhat, but i settled on Debian, and then i bought a magazine with the Ubuntu CD, and i read that it was based on Debian. i am installing it now, and so far it seems to be going well. i am pretty excited to try it out for a spin once it is all said and done.
word.

UKer
February 8th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Just made the switch yesterday (7/2/05), and finally nuked my XP partition. Managed to get Halflife 2 working through Cedage - which was a sinch - and nzbget (the two thinks that were keeping me with Windows really). Have everything else working as I want already (DVD, all video, TV out, all viewers I use like Realplayer - all things I had problems with before when trying to switch).

So far so good :grin: hope it stays that way.

neville_lobo
February 10th, 2005, 08:27 AM
I have at my office. Gonna do it at home too though it will be dual boot as my family uses XP.

domzo
February 10th, 2005, 11:02 AM
...Call of Duty Multiplayer gives XP a lifeline here. However I use Ubuntu for everything else.

At work I use Suse exclusively except for the annoying Exchange calendar system for which I have to use windows via an ICA Client.

Jspired
February 10th, 2005, 11:11 AM
I switched...more than a year ago I believe. I run Suse on my laptop (currently) and Ubuntu on one desktop, Slackware on another. I'm also in the process of switching my entire office over to Linux.

ThePainter
February 10th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Hi,
Ive been experimenting with Mandrake 9.2: 10.1, Ubuntu and Fedora Core 3 for a while now and have settled on Ubuntu for the time being.
I prefer being in ubuntu and use it as my everyday OS but I have kept XP because there isnt a driver for my Lexmark scanner and I havent found a linux program to edit my .avi digi home movies and the XP tools for DVD backup and kvcd creation are far easier to use.
Thing is I have only used my scanner twice over the last 2 years and I have only needed to edit 4 movies and back up 3 DVD's so you can imagine how often I boot up XP, I see XP like one of those silly little spare wheels you get with some cars that can only go a few miles at 30 mph on.
I am also at college doing ECDL which is on Microsoft Office but I have aquired "Crossover Office" that lets me run "Office XP" on linux so thats another thing I dont have to go back into XP for, its a shame it has to install IE6 along with Office but you can guess how often I will be running that. :grin:
It also alows you to run Adobe Photoshop and acrobat 5 and Flash MX, and Ive found that on mandrake it will also run Paintshop pro 7 but not 8 or 9 but it wont run on Ubuntu.

I have started playing desktop games because I get bored with linux because Im not scanning for viruses and spyware or running cleanup and the defragger all the time so I have to find something to do ? ](*,)

Is it true that Penguins throw stones at Windows ? \\:D/

Marquis_de_Carabas
February 10th, 2005, 03:25 PM
My computer hasn't seen Windows for about two months now, largely thanks to Ubuntu (played around with Fedora, Mandrake, Suse & Debian Sarge before but they were all a little too frustrating in different ways for me to give up my XP dual boot), and I don't miss it at all (I certainly don't miss cleaning Spyware and Viruses off my system every few days).

I was using Firefox and Thunderbird on Windows anyway, so there's no real change there; MPlayer plays just about anything I throw at it (has a bit of trouble with Quicktime occasionally, but it's rare I want to watch anything in that format anyway); Rhythmbox and XMMS are more than adequate replacements for Winamp (although I did like the "fade out" option in Winamp); Azureus and Nicotine take care of all filesharing needs; Open Office does everything I ever want it to.

Gaming is somewhat hit and miss - GTAIII plays far better under Cedega than it did on XP, but I tried installing Black & White yesterday but couldn't get it to work - but I don't spend all that much time playing games anyway. I do wish they'd hurry up and release the Linux version of Postal 2 though!

All in all Ubuntu offers the best experience I've ever had from an OS (although I do have fond memories of my Sinclair Spectrum +2...) and ******* will never take hard drive space away from my home directory again!

lao_V
February 10th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I use Linux using VMWare workstation in WinXP. I think its a great solution for all those who want multiple operating system on their PC without going through the trouble of multi-boot issues.

You could install as many OS as you like without having to repartition anything and if anything goes wrong you simple delete that virtual machine. You could even have more then 1 OS running at the same time (depending on your resources!)

Tichondrius
February 10th, 2005, 06:40 PM
I use Linux using VMWare workstation in WinXP. I think its a great solution for all those who want multiple operating system on their PC without going through the trouble of multi-boot issues.

You could install as many OS as you like without having to repartition anything and if anything goes wrong you simple delete that virtual machine. You could even have more then 1 OS running at the same time (depending on your resources!)
I'm doing the opposite, running vmware in Ubuntu, so I can bring up the windows VM whenever I need to run a windows-only app.

Kakalto
February 10th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I haven't completely swapped. However, I rarely use windows, as I haven't been playing games lately, but I've been watching anime, which works fine (if not better) under linux, than under windows.

How annoying it is, to find codec packs for windows (that don't come with spyware)... linux has one package (!). :razz:

trash
February 19th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Roughly, since I joined this forum I have been using Ubuntu fulltime.. what joy!

Games, well having been a ppc user all my life I never really had the chance on my machines so I have been quite content with our gamecube.

Somebody previously mentioned the switch being a moral issue and it is much the same for me.
Friends and family just don't get it, but like somebody else mentioned I to installed firefox on my mothers machine......she happy.. Ubuntu's next.

I have just been accepted for a community project and part of that project will see a whole bunch of new and old, pc and mac's setup and half will run Ubuntu(worried pc users on the board wouldn't let me put it on all of them).... so i guess it could be one of the first internet cafe's running linux for their customers?:)... wish me luck!
Any southshore Quebecers wanna help with the setup lemme know lol.

panabar
February 22nd, 2005, 01:06 AM
I've completely erased windows. I'm playing my games with cedega ( I have a ati mobility 7500 with 16mb, so It wasn't a pleasent experience playing games on xp).

And I'm using hoary.
I can't be happier :)
:razz:

morethannoise
February 22nd, 2005, 10:59 PM
I run a kvm switch between an XP machine and an Ubuntu box. If it wasn't for my gaming passion, I do believe I'd have little use for Windows as everything on Ubuntu is a breeze.

GilGalad
February 22nd, 2005, 11:28 PM
I run a kvm switch between an XP machine and an Ubuntu box. If it wasn't for my gaming passion, I do believe I'd have little use for Windows as everything on Ubuntu is a breeze.

uhm... windows... yeah I tried it once but had problems with their blue screensaver, it kept activating in the more critical situations and I couldn't kill it. Switched to linux.

Kakalto
February 23rd, 2005, 04:27 AM
Lol. I also use a kvm switch.... but both boxes have ubuntu on them, I test out stuff on my older box, to see what they're like, then put them on my usual box (which has WinXP for games)

IceAxe18
February 23rd, 2005, 06:44 AM
Ive got 100% Linux on my Hard drive sence 2003.

Deka
February 23rd, 2005, 07:49 AM
I haven't booted into windows in 6-7 months! Definitely happy I made the switch. I started using Mandrake around then, just now (today) installing ubuntu.. and extremely pleased so far! :-)

faze
February 26th, 2005, 12:24 AM
i love ubuntu but ic ant paly dvds for some reason i cnat fiodn the right decoders or wat not for store bought dvds [-X

DanN
February 26th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Windows free since two thousand three! I started using Suse which I was happy with, but tried ubuntu when it came out and really liked the gnome interface (and apt). They work good! :grin:

Jesus Franco
February 26th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Been using different distros of linux since 2001...I have used Suse, RedHat, and fedora and now Ubuntu. And i much prefer Ubuntu because it is the only distro that I have used that supports everything i have on my computer. I did like Suse alot but I had to get rid of it because i got a new motherboard with a sata harddrive witch is does not support. So since then i used Fedora and I couldn't get 3d support in it. Dont know why. A friend recomended Ubuntu once I told him my system specs. And I tried it and everything worked perfectly. And Since then I have not used Windows. (I got ubuntu in December of 2004). :-P

Marquis_de_Carabas
February 26th, 2005, 01:39 AM
i love ubuntu but ic ant paly dvds for some reason i cnat fiodn the right decoders or wat not for store bought dvds [-X

You need libdvdcss. Check out the Unofficial Ubuntu Starter Guide (http://www.ubuntuguide.org), it has info on this as well as a lot of other useful stuff.

macewan
February 26th, 2005, 04:42 AM
completely switched? from what? ;-)

trinity
February 26th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Two months ago I started trying Linux and completely new to this. Just for this purpose I invested in 1GB usb key, a DVD/CD Writer and a 80 GB harddisk. A month ago I finally started trying Ubuntu after my strugling with Fedora Core 3, Mandrake, SuSE.

Yes, I read some postings in the forum and wiki about copyrights and all, but I still feel that few basic things like: VCD/DVD player mp3, DVD/CD writer, Microsoft Fonts and few others should be made available without having to download from the net. Also the packages should contain all the dependcies along with it. I bet that this one change and this one change alone would really be a big boon for users that doesn't have net connection at home (like me). For example, in my case I download the packages at work and take it home only to find missing dependencies. I come back to office next day, search for those missing dependencies, go back home to try things and still nothing works. :( To copy the apt cache archive back home I don't have a Linux box at office either.

Being a DOS and later a Windows user, I find all this method pretty cumbersome and painful. I must agree that I am growing tired, but something keeps me going. Personally I liked Ubuntu. I find it fast, simple, clean and neat. Unlike other distros this is the only one that I tried didn't have no problem with partitioning in my PC. May be I should it give some time to get adjusted to this whole new world and hoping to use Linux for everthing for personal use in future. :-) I already started typing 'exit' in MSN messenger in Windows. :roll:

macewan
February 27th, 2005, 04:58 PM
If Linux were preinstalled on the box these problems probably would exist as much. The $500 Wal-Mart laptop (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3504708&cat=179113&type=19&dept=3944) has most of what is needed for a functioning home or office system.

Hang in there :D

nyo
February 27th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I've been working only with Linux (shifting various, mainly Debian Sarge, GNU Linex Empresa and Ubuntu) for the last 6 months at the server and Desktop levels. Previously I had been sharing Windows and Linux (mainly Fedora and Mandrake) since 2002.

But, I've just installed Windows XP on the desktops because of two reasons:

- Linux browsers are not compatible with many websites (specially those using layers), so it turns that many times it's impossible to reach necessary info for work that is offered at certain websites

- OpenOffice, although great is not 100% compatible with MS Office, which 99% of my clients use.

So, I had to install Windows again in order to be able to browse everywhere and to generate 100% MS Office compatible documents. Currently I use Linux only on the server and as a secondary (almost hobby) OS on my desktop. I'm waiting to see if these two problems get solved in order to shift back to Linux as a single OS.....but I feel as the browsing experience will not improve.

allans
February 27th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I need windows for my university course as there are design programmes I need such as sketchup and rhino3d that I have yet to get to work with wine, gaming isn't a problem since I got my ati card working and ut2004 installed, I'd already finished half life 2 by the time I got the 3d card working.

If it wasn't for my work, windows would have disappeared by now but I can't see the situation changing too much.

lordofkhemenu
February 28th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Haven't willingly used Windows since 1996.
I bought a 'six pack' from Linux Mall (http://linuxmall.com) -- RH 4.1, OpenLinux, CalderaLinux (those two mighta been the same),SuSE, Debian and probably one or two that have long since gone the way of the dodo bird -- and during one of the installs, I got a little overzealous and accidently deleted my Windows partition (and had no recovery CD). I learned Linux the hard way.
Looking back, it may not have been so accidental.
For graphics, photo editing (raw, unprocessed image data), day to day stuff, programming, web design. You name it, there's an app for Linux that'll do the job.

Mike Eberhart
March 1st, 2005, 11:51 PM
I am (was) a Microsoft Certified Partner for 5 years. This whole "partner" program was a bit (understatement!) one sided. All they care about is how much of their product(s) you sell as their "partner". It used to be that you simply had to have some MS certfied personnel, but now, you need to sell their stuff to get enough program points to continue being a "partner"....

So, I AM DITCHING MICROSOFT and their MCP PROGRAM altogether. I have a commercial consulting and software development firm, and have products that currently run only on Windows. Well, guess what MS, I am porting them to Linux. I am moving my desktops to Linux, my servers to Linux, and MY CUSTOMERS TO LINUX too. MS wanted me to report all my customers that copy their O.S. or such,... well, guess what MS, Ubuntu is FREE, and it rocks!

I first tried Linux with early Red Hat versions about 5yrs back and was not impressed. Tried Knoppix about 1.5 yrs ago and saw potential. Tried Ubuntu now, and said: I CAN FINALLY DITCH MICROSOFT! I have some work ahead with converting my commercial applications, but I am getting comfortable enough with Linux now to advise people how to get off MS and quit wasting cash on constant upgrades, new "features" (that hardly anyone needs or uses), etc.

To summarize: not ALL the way off MS yet (still using SQL-Server, and have Borland Delphi on development machine), but I have ditched the rest!

poofyhairguy
March 2nd, 2005, 12:36 AM
- Linux browsers are not compatible with many websites (specially those using layers), so it turns that many times it's impossible to reach necessary info for work that is offered at certain websites

- OpenOffice, although great is not 100% compatible with MS Office, which 99% of my clients use.

Um....I have the Internet Explorer icon in my desktop right now (actually it is the only thing). I use it when I need it and it works like a charm (better than in windows- I don't fear spyware). I also have installed Office 2000 on my linux box and I have gotten it to work wonderfully. In fact, I think I might reinstall it today just for fun...

The key you need is called Crossover Office. It makes those programs work GREAT with Linux.

In fact, somes I browse in IE just for fun. Just to experiance the internet the way most people do and the way I used to. Brought back old memories, like the time IE 4 kicks Netscape 4's ass.

Pity IE seems to have improved little since then.....

lordofkhemenu
March 2nd, 2005, 01:15 AM
I am (was) a Microsoft Certified Partner for 5 years. This whole "partner" program was a bit (understatement!) one sided. All they care about is how much of their product(s) you sell as their "partner". It used to be that you simply had to have some MS certfied personnel, but now, you need to sell their stuff to get enough program points to continue being a "partner"....

So, I AM DITCHING MICROSOFT and their MCP PROGRAM altogether. I have a commercial consulting and software development firm, and have products that currently run only on Windows. Well, guess what MS, I am porting them to Linux. I am moving my desktops to Linux, my servers to Linux, and MY CUSTOMERS TO LINUX too. MS wanted me to report all my customers that copy their O.S. or such,... well, guess what MS, Ubuntu is FREE, and it rocks!

I first tried Linux with early Red Hat versions about 5yrs back and was not impressed. Tried Knoppix about 1.5 yrs ago and saw potential. Tried Ubuntu now, and said: I CAN FINALLY DITCH MICROSOFT! I have some work ahead with converting my commercial applications, but I am getting comfortable enough with Linux now to advise people how to get off MS and quit wasting cash on constant upgrades, new "features" (that hardly anyone needs or uses), etc.

To summarize: not ALL the way off MS yet (still using SQL-Server, and have Borland Delphi on development machine), but I have ditched the rest!
Way cool, Mike.
Hey, you should be proud of your Minesweeper Certified Professional status :mrgreen:
So are these soon-to-be-ported applications, custom apps or something that could potentially benefit/convince/convert some CTO that Linux is definitely doable in the Corporate World?

stoffe
March 2nd, 2005, 01:48 AM
Completely switched on my personal home computer, never ever booting into Windows . Although I do keep a partition of it, just in case... I guess I can spare a little space on my HD, it's better having it and not needing it than the other way around. :)

At school/work however, I still use Windows, at least partly. Well, we are making games, and for the main stream market, so there really is no way around it. :) We do use systems with cross-platform possibility though, like the stuff from GarageGames, and I do hope that I can get a title or two out on alternative platforms as well.

bored2k
March 2nd, 2005, 02:11 AM
I just recently [as in about 2 weeks ago] switched to *nix completely.

I have been using nix for over a year now , and switching back n forth like mad (most notably when half-life 2 came out).

I'm proud to say i can't think of anything i would need/wanted to do i couldn't do on *nix (i had used xandros1,2,2.5,mdk10,slackware,auroX...and b4 ubuntu xandros3, wich didnt bring me any closer to porting) . So thnx to multiverse/universe/main/marillat/java<--azureus and good ol mighty cedega [for letting me play counter-strike], winsuXP just lost a customer =D>

sad to say my @#$%^ brother still uses suXP so i have to keep it into partition ... btw im looking for some cool viruses so he sees how cool nix really is LOL , anyone help? /msg me!

factotum218
March 4th, 2005, 12:49 AM
its been a while, havent had windows on my system for about a year and a half or so, give or take. I use it at work, its enough for me

JmSchanck
March 4th, 2005, 04:32 AM
I have a desktop and a laptop both running Ubuntu. The desktop has a second harddrive with Windows XP on it, I haven't *had* to use it since i installed Ubuntu, but i keep it around because it has alot of old documents on it that i dont want cluttering up my ubuntu harddrive. Also I only play Quake III and UT so gaming isn't a problem, so yeah I've completely made the switch and convinced a few friends to do so as well.

Edit:// I almost forgot that I'm enormously in debt to Ubuntu for saving that laptop, running Windows ME it could only stay on for about a half hour before it would start over heating, on Ubuntu I've had no such problems, leaving it on for 24 hours +.

dolson
March 4th, 2005, 10:04 AM
I deleted my FAT32 partition on August 18th, 2002, and switched 100% to Linux. At that time it was Mandrake. Then on to Debian. And now on to Ubuntu.

mrv
March 6th, 2005, 09:39 PM

I've been using Linux for some 7 years, but only 1.5 years ago I finally deleted the Windows partition completely.. until then, it had been shrinking so it finally was about 1/10 of the HDD and had nothing installed besides the OS.

I'm somewhat a gamer, but not so much that I wouldn't accept those games that are available (natively) for my platform. Neverwinter Nights, Dominions 2 and SimCity 3000 (all from Tuxgames except SC3000 which available at a local shop) have filled my gaming needs quite nicely, along with the best of the free software games like Freeciv or Flightgear. Doom 3 is quite nice, too, though I don't generally like shootemups that much.

Not going to touch Cedega.

johnwlittle
March 7th, 2005, 12:09 AM
I've used Linux on and off since 1999. Started with Mandrake (not sure about the version) then switched to SUSE and more recently Ubuntu. I switched back to windows 2-3 times during that period because I was a developer and I needed some tools that only ran well in a Windows environment. I'm still in IT but now I'm developing requirements and writing presentations so the only cross platform functionality that had to work for me was the office suite. I spent about a week transfering documents (via usb drive) between OpenOffice.org at home and MS-Office at work to see if I could completey dump Windows at home. I had zero compatibility issues.

I'm now 100% Linux at home. This OS is evolving and tightening up at an amazing pace. I can't see myself switching back to Microsoft since I know whats in the pipeline from them for several more years and it doesn't appeal to me in the least.

I detailed my switch to Linux (http://www.johnlittle.org/2005/02/switch-to-linux.html) on my blog.

A-star
March 7th, 2005, 12:23 PM
I have switched completly over to Linux, was completly sick of windows and all of the problems that comes with it.
Only 1 problems remains: The Wife Factor.
For this I installed vmware and run windows in it.
She refuses to switch to something she doesn't know. With time she'll switch too (especially since I refuse to give support for her pc problems now).

krusbjorn
March 7th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I have switched completly over to Linux, was completly sick of windows and all of the problems that comes with it.
Only 1 problems remains: The Wife Factor.
For this I installed vmware and run windows in it.
She refuses to switch to something she doesn't know. With time she'll switch too (especially since I refuse to give support for her pc problems now).

lol!
how about you buy her an old computer and install Microsoft Bob!

Leif
March 7th, 2005, 01:40 PM
At home I've switched to Ubuntu completely. At school/work, however, I still need to use Windows for some homebrew programs. So I've got XP installed on an older computer, and Ubuntu on the workhorse. A monitor for each, and synergy to share keyboard/mouse (synergy rocks!). Most of the time I end up using XP just for iTunes, and doing all my programming on Ubuntu. It's a sweet setup.

dizzie
March 9th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Been using Linux since 1993. (12 years'ish)
My main PC has never had a monopoly OS installed for the last 3 years.
All my PCs runs Linux 24/7 today:

Main PC: Ubuntu ("warty")
Test PC: Vidalinux ("vlos 1.1")
Server: Gentoo ("v1.4.16")
Gateway PC: LFS :) (was once a RedHat 5.3)

DJ_Max
March 9th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Been using Linux since 1993. (12 years'ish)
My main PC has never had a monopoly OS installed for the last 3 years.
All my PCs runs Linux 24/7 today:

Main PC: Ubuntu ("warty")
Test PC: Vidalinux ("vlos 1.1")
Server: Gentoo ("v1.4.16")
Gateway PC: LFS :) (was once a RedHat 5.3)
Whats a monopoly OS? I've yet to see a OS become a monopoly.

Anyway, I still use OS X on my iMac. It's just so beautiful. 8-)

Kimm
March 9th, 2005, 03:25 PM
I made my absolutely complete switch about 4 days ago, but before that.. well I never booted into windows. I'm free, free I tell ya!

dewfis
March 10th, 2005, 02:51 AM
I've wanted to become Windows-free since 1995, but find I just can't do it. No Linux is really there yet. Mostly because, in my opinion, Linux has not put enuf effort into the single-user desktop.

I would prefer to use Linux whenever I want to do something like scan, burn CDs, etc. But its about 50-50 that before I can, I'll get lost in a 2-3 hour research and configuration session. I can handle that, but I really don't think I should have to. I want to do my work, not someone elses. So I usually do this stuff on Windows. Its unstable. Its insecure. But 5 minutes after booting, I'm doing my own work. When I want to develop, I boot Linux.

That's why I hold out such hope for Ubuntu. Maybe it's finally the Linux that that will actually work on the desktop.

msgyrd
March 10th, 2005, 09:33 AM
I'll take one of everything please.

I have a windows machine (.Net development, but it dual boots gentoo),
a g4 powerbook, because apple makes awesome laptops,
and a ubuntu machine for a server.

I actually VNC into the windows machine through the ubuntu computer or the powerbook, just so I can get away from windows with the click of a button. All the os's have their strengths and weaknesses, so I have them all.

senorcheaposgato
March 16th, 2005, 09:34 PM
I switched completely to Ubuntu a little over 5 months ago. I'll admit it: my machine sucks to a degree that boggles the human mind. Yes, it's really that bad.

At any rate, I got sick of constant crashes, slow loading, and general crappiness from MS--the lure of greatly improved performance, together with a hearty dose of moral outrage and some nagging from the fiance switched me over all at once. I really had no experience with Linux at the time, other than incidental use on his machine...so I feel safe saying that for someone with little or no experience with Linux, Ubuntu is really a great bet. Heck, if I figured it out, anyone can.

Besides, I don't use my computer for anything too exciting--no gaming (I suck at it), no intensive video (my computer can't handle it--told you it sucks). Basically, for me it's internet, word processing, and playing around with graphics. The only problem I've had at all is the limited compatability (or maybe it's just me...) between OOo and MS Office. I write all my papers/reports/etc for classes at home, but have to print them at school (we're having issues with the network printing here...), so now I just export everything to PDF before I take it to school, and hope that I don't have to edit anything.

Alright, so that was a little longwinded. Summary: 5 months ago, I was exclusively XP. One day later I was exclusively Ubuntu, and I haven't looked back.

`Mrk
March 16th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Nowadays I use just Ubuntu, because I want to learn Linux, and now I'm forced to learn it, when I have no Windows on my computer. ;)

minio
March 16th, 2005, 11:10 PM
My home computer is windows free for about 2 months. I didn't plan to completely switch to linux, but one day I run out of space on my disk and something had to be deleted... 8)

DJ_Max
March 17th, 2005, 01:55 AM
My home computer is windows free for about 2 months. I didn't plan to completely switch to linux, but one day I run out of space on my disk and something had to be deleted... 8)
ROFL, well you made the right choice when i came down to the line.

ixus_123
March 17th, 2005, 02:14 AM
I was windows free for 2 & half years. I don't really play games. I recently had to buy XP though as I hav gone back to school part time & needed it to run some conference software.

It seldom gets used though. I use linux about 98% of the time although I must confess I have crossed over to the darkside & am using kde now :/

dusu
March 17th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Hi,

I had been running debian + XP for two years.
I got totally fed up with XP, and the debian I had was totally obsolete (some debian guru had installed it for me, but I had never made any upgrade [-X !!).
I decided I should make the step and install linux on my own, and my debian guru advised me Ubuntu and gave me the Warty CD (a nice debian guru :) )
I installed it end of January, and in the same go, I made myself some pleasure and erased XP. What a nice feeling :mrgreen: . I could not stand it any longer !
Yesterday I switched to Hoary. Not everything's perfect for the moment, but I did not expect it since it is not yet stable !

Any way I'm totally :grin: with Ubuntu

jsgotangco
March 17th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I still like my PC games that I play every weekend. It doesn't hurt my Linux usage which is like 95% of the time, work and home. I did use Cedega but my experience with it isn't something to write about so that's why I still use Windows sometimes. Also my daughter's games can only run on Windows so tough luck. I really don't mind it though.

occy8
March 17th, 2005, 09:48 PM
This is the plan to switch completely.
I'm using windows 98 and did't like the later versions. My computer is a single home, casual work desktop machine.
I installed Hoary preview
My hardware
Albatron 18g pro motherboard
AMD 2200
Lexmark Z705 printer
D-link DSL200 adsl modem

There is also a LG cd burner and a Agere winmodem but I haven't tried them yet

So far I had big problems with the D-link but thanks to help from the forums here and at eciadsl I got it running. The rest of the hardware was easy just running the Ubuntu CD. Then searching for the Lexmark driver took some time but install was easy.

I used Openoffice, Firefox, Thunderbird and Gimp under windows so to migrate isn't that hard. I also use a lot of Quicktime movies, sound files for work and had to change Totem ??? for Totem Xine, now that works fine too
I imported my emails and addressbook into evolution, selecting single files which was a bit tedious but worked

So right now I'm down to only a few minor applications I need to use in windows

I may keep Windows as a backup in case Ubuntu goes down, because I don't know a lot about Linux. All I did in the past was trying out Mandrake I thing in 2002 and Fedora3 recently.
Ubuntu works fine for me well done

std
March 17th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Completely got rid of Windows about two years ago. The thing I instantly fell in love with was WindowMaker, one hell of a window manager that I'm still happily using. I still have some trouble with my Umax Astra 4700 scanner and my Soundmax sound card that gets me no midi output. I'm windows-dependent for scanning but I don't do those on my everyday computer. I have another system that runs Slackware and Windows 2000, I'm still falling back to Win2k when I need scanning but I hope I'll be able to change that soon. With another scanner, yes.
Aside from that, I don't remember using Windows in the last few months. Just gimme my wmaker next-like desktop and I'm happy.

KLineD
March 17th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I use Ubuntu for most of it. For gaming I got a console so that was never the problem. The only thing that's keeping Windows in my HD is Matlab. I know there's one for Linux but I obtained this copy from university and when I asked for a Linux version they couldn't answer me... so I boot to windows when I have to do some homework. Oh, also my Lexmark X83 printer/scanner/copier. I'm very dissapointed with it because there's no support for it in Linux and it can't be networked either (and my family likes the damn thing) so for printing also I have to boot to windows but recently I found an ancient HP Deskjet 680, I'll buy some ink for it and see how well it goes.

JaspSoft
March 18th, 2005, 10:59 PM
I use: Suse on one server (because I had to study for an exam with it... and it is still there), fedora on a production server (cos it is license free).

I'm using Linspire on my desktop now (partly because of those unfortunately non free binaries included with it that make my system nice, and other reasons)

I still have to have a windows machine for using certain pieces of mail room software, and specialist printing, and dreaded government tax stuff.

Unfortunately I don't have any more machines to put Ubuntu on, although I have tried it.

I shall be watching Ubuntu developments like a hawk for a good while I think. It is very attractive to me because:

a) It is entirely Free
b) It is targetting usabilty. (What is the point of Free Software if you need great skill to use it)
c) It has commercial support.
d) It is entirely Free

Good luck to you all.

kadymae
March 18th, 2005, 11:25 PM
As Linux stands right now, not a chance.

OTOH, Ubuntu makes it pretty easy to stick to my "Spend 2 hrs/wk on Linux" resolution.

It's no OS X, but neither does it drive me to fits of nigh homicidal rage.

The_JinJ
March 19th, 2005, 12:14 AM
I'm on the verge of completely switching - I have only used Mandrake/Fedora & Ubuntu at home for the last month or so and haven't touched Windows (ubfortunately my job requires me to use it :-({|= )
Linux has came on leaps and bounds and I was impressed today (easily impressed) when I plugged in my digicam and was prompted to browse the files.....Project Utopia seems to be coming along nicely.
Ubuntu is a step towards the sort of usability needed to convert the masses but it isn't quite there yet.....imho

mario8723
March 21st, 2005, 03:55 AM
I've been using a dual-boot with XP and Hoary for about the last 2 weeks during which time, I must admit, I haven't used XP at all.

My wife insists on using XP still from time to time, but I even set her up as an additional user and she can browse and get email with no problem.

The ONLY reason I still have XP at all: I designed a web site for somebody and have all the .pngs, dreamweaver files and such on my XP partition. If there is anybody that knows of a Linux program that can read Frontpage files, Dreamweaver files etc PLEASE let me know so I can complete my transition to Linux! Games are great, but I can do without them.

Any help would be appreciated...

mr_ed
March 21st, 2005, 05:30 AM
If there is anybody that knows of a Linux program that can read Frontpage files, Dreamweaver files etc PLEASE let me know so I can complete my transition to Linux! Games are great, but I can do without them.

Which version of Dreamweaver is it? If it's MX (not MX 2004), you're in luck!
Crossover Office? http://www.codeweavers.com/
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name?app_id=14
Of course, you'd have to pony up $60, or become an "advocate" (it's a Crossover thing. Basically, to become a Dreamweaver advocate, you promise to send Codeweavers info on how well Dreamweaver works under Crossover, and you get a free copy and access to developer builds and stuff.)

mario8723
March 22nd, 2005, 01:04 AM
Well it's MX 2004 unfortunately. What about files created in Front Page?

blinksilver
March 22nd, 2005, 01:24 AM
have been in trans since redhat 8, made the plunge in DEC never looked back, except for FFXI, i miss it so...............

akurashy
March 22nd, 2005, 01:44 AM
well today i changed completely to ubuntu at last n_n though yes i still kinda miss the games but i get over with it someday n_n
i feel better in linux anyway ^^

fibster
March 23rd, 2005, 05:19 AM
I completely switched to linux about a year ago. I had so many crashes and freeze ups with xp pro that I began dabbling with dual booting. Mandrake 9.2 , fedora core 1-3 and I'm really fond of core 3 but when ubuntu came I tryed and fell in love with this distro and it's mission.The games my daughters missed for a short while but with the multitude of linux games they've been satisfied. As far as the applications I'm no programmer by any means but I've been fortunate or lucky enough to get everything xp had working either on fedora or ubuntu. I'll never go back to windows even though Bill is here in my home state of Washington. Linux and the gpl are where it's at in life and I love customising and setting up my computer the way I want it. Think I'll be dual booting with gentoo next as that looks like a worthy challenge.

great community here and fab o.s.

tb aka fibster

TjaBBe
March 23rd, 2005, 10:45 AM
I completely switched about half a year ago, after using gentoo in combination with XP for some time. Half a year ago I decided to switch from gentoo to Debian Sarge, and end the life of my Windows install. I enjoyed that particulary :).

About a week ago I decided to switch my desktops to Ubuntu as I think its more fitted to use for a desktop. My server still runs, and will continue to run Debian Woody though :).

bitonw
March 25th, 2005, 07:13 PM
my whole network (5 pc's all compaq) are running on linux since some years. it's a mix of red hat, suse, debian, astaro and ubuntu. i only still have 1 old win98 box to hack my sat receiver and 2 mac's.

james_mad
March 25th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I stopped using windows completely when I started using fedora core a few months ago. 2 days ago I decided to try out Ubuntu, seems great so far 8)

bibaleebu
April 7th, 2005, 11:55 PM
i completely switched to Ubuntu Hoary 6 days ago, lovin' every minute of it
!

Brunellus
April 8th, 2005, 12:14 AM
I'm totally migrated at the present moment. My laptop died (hardware--some loose power doohickey somewhere inside, and I don't know how to fix it. Waiting until I can take it to a repairman) and the desktop, which ran WinME, finally gave up the ghost last year.

Installed SuSE, finally got fed up with RPMs and the rest of it, wiped, and installed ubuntu warty. Looking forward to a stable and official ubuntu hoary, and much fun ahead. And maybe repairing the laptop, and installing ubuntu on that, too.

Ubunted
April 8th, 2005, 12:22 AM
I WANT to switch the main rig to Linux, but alas, XP Home works quite well and runs all my games without a fuss or subscription.

On the other hand I've been using Linux on my laptop for a few months now and other than losing Sim City 2000 and Red Alert (not a very high-powered laptop) I have no regrets wiping out Windows 2000. 99% of the time I'm using only Firefox and GAIM on it anyway, so Ubuntu rocks in that regard.

kassetra
April 8th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Well... I've had Linux as my only OS on the desktop since 1999...

I also have a nice collection of unused games because they won't play in wine, cedega, nor vmware....

But! I do have a great game in Linux! woo!

And I just won't punish myself with windows in order to play the games I keep collecting... :)

SquireSCA
April 8th, 2005, 01:26 AM
I have been trying to migrate entirely to Linux for years, but I can never get Linux to do what I want, play the games I want, etc...

But I have to admit, that each time I try it, there are less and less shortcomings...

As for Windows being bland, sure, the default theme is. But I use Windowblinds and some wicked skins and the OS looks great. Default Linux themes are kinda bland as well until you tweak them...

Psquared
April 8th, 2005, 01:46 AM
I started with Fedora Core 2 last July. It took me a month or two to get it where I could use it. Too many things broke FC though. I got sick of the constant tweaking. Then I discovered Ubuntu. I had it up and running like I wanted in a matter of hours. It ain't broke yet.

I still have XP, but I just realized I have not booted into it in weeks. That was just to retrieve my hotmail (which doesn't seem to want to work too well in Linux-Firefox.)

My son has just had to reinstall XP on his computer for the 6th time in a year. I think he is fiddling too much, but I fiddle too and I have not had to reinstall Linux yet. (I was able to fix Fedora without reinstalling.)

BTW, whoever said there was nothing like Quicken -- has anyone tried GNUCash? I just installed it but I have not set it up. Opinions??

defkewl
April 8th, 2005, 01:53 AM
I've already thrown my Windows away but still having problems with listening mp3 and watching dvd. If I can't do it in Linux and find a way out perhaps I should switch back to Windows :(

23meg
April 8th, 2005, 02:19 AM
There's some good(ish) proprietary audio/video production software on windows that i'm kind of dependant on so abandoning it altogether isn't on my immediate agenda, but once i get sound working properly with my Quattro audio interface and get Hoary to render small anti-aliased fonts correctly it will be my main OS.

I insist on Linux being my main daily OS, and encourage and help others, especially typical desktop users to set up a similar scheme because the next version of windows is coming with the worst of all privacy-breaching, monopolic, paranoid,, in short, stupid application of "security" and "authentication" systems: Palladium a.k.a. "Trusted Computing". (http://www.againsttcpa.com) truly scary stuff, and ridiculous at the same time.

Now if whichever other company whose products i'm using under windows for creative purposes joins the TCPA, they can go to hell, i'm abandoning them forever. Some people are unwilling to drop their old tools and habits, compromising moral and political integrity in the sake of so called creative integrity; i'm not one of them.

mandy2tom
April 8th, 2005, 04:59 AM
how could anyone! I would love to but, what a pain just to be able to do basics

my new cannon printer no drivers mad at cannon
streaming links on c-span rtsp
window media 9 support i want to watch news clips
poor refrence to complete functional media support.
I applaud them for stance on coppyright, but need script to get it all working anyway

dreamweaver autocad
-----------------------------------------
# myinstastall script sort of
sudo cp -r -p /media/usbdisk/ubuntu/sources.list /etc/apt
sudo apt-get update
#need script to restartx auto?
sudo apt-get -y install nvidia-glx
sudo apt-get -y install nvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
sudo apt-get -y install msttcorefonts
sudo mkdir /media/windows
sudo mount /dev/hdd1 /media/windows -t ntfs -o umask=0222
sudo apt-get -y install msttcorefonts
sudo cp -p /media/usbdisk/ubuntu/menueditor_0.4.3ubuntu1_all.deb /home/ubuntu
sudo dpkg -i menueditor_0.4.3ubuntu1_all.deb
#sudo menu-editor
sudo apt-get -y install xmms
sudo apt-get -y install mikmod
sudo apt-get -y install flashplayer-mozilla
#sudo apt-get -y install libmikmod
# wont open my rar's ?
sudo apt-get -y install rar
#everthing wants to open in totem%#@$^%$^% app database error mime "default app set" %$#%#$sorry
sudo apt-get -y install gxine
#for my girl
sudo apt-get -y install tuxracer
sudo apt-get -y install tuxracer-extras
xmms
sudo cp -p /media/usbdisk/ubuntu/HumanXMMS-latest.tgz /home/ubuntu/.xmms/Skins
sudo cp -r -p /media/usbdisk/ubuntu/config /home/ubuntu/.xmms
#must open once to create folder live cd need script line to close it???
xmms
sudo cp -r -p /media/usbdisk/ubuntu/realplay-10.0.2.608-linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-i586.bin /home/ubuntu/
gconftool-2 --type boolean --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_browser true
#crashes all other sound
gconftool-2 --type boolean --set /desktop/gnome/sound/enable_esd false
wont play rtsp stream ???????
#chmod +x realplay-10.0.2.608-linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-i586.bin
#sudo ./realplay-10.0.2.608-linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-i586.bin
#need so much more...........
---------------------
mandy2tom@gmail.com

Steel3
April 8th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Been completely switched for months here. I don't really do much beyond basic IM / Internet / E-mail / Multimedia, and for those rare games cedega is more than enough for what I need.

wondering_jew
April 10th, 2005, 09:56 AM
I switched to ubuntu from windows me about 7 months ago, removed windows completely and installed ubuntu sight unseen. Prior to that i have no real experience with linux ( a couple of failed installs of gentoo and i used mandrake for a week two years ago...) so i've just been winging it, bugging a friend , and using a lot of google :)