PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

4KvRMU7Nnv
August 7th, 2007, 07:05 PM
full switch here. I thought I needed Windows and dual booted for a while. Then I realized I don't need it. It's gone!

CodeNosher
August 7th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I still use XP on VirtualBox for two programs I need. I just started using a voice recorder, but cannot seem to get it to work on Ubuntu, so I may have to really boot to winXP.

I have also started video editing. I use Kino, but it is pretty klunky compared to the stuff I can get on Windows. I tried LiVES several times, but same thing, too klunky. It takes a lot of work to do what I can do in 5 min in MovieMaker. :(

giaguara
August 7th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Not going to completely switch to it. At least home.

Home it's Mac OS X and with Fusion I do run Ubuntu (and FreeBSD,Solaris and XP when needed).

At work I need to use Outlook and IE for some work purposes. So it's Linux in VM Workstation. Just fighting to get the wireless and other functions to get to run on Ubuntu now .. at least they are fine with whatever OS you run at work as long as you still use somewhere Outlook and IE. If only there were no more poorly coded websites that require IE, and Evolution would deal with notifications and meetings.. if those were not needed, I probably wouldn't even need Workstation.

billT
August 7th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I've switched at home, but not for any of the reasons that any of you (or at least not on this page) did. I have no hatred for MS or Windows. I didn't have any problems with XP being buggy or filled with viruses. The cost wasn't an issue, as I can get MS software through work. I just switched to switch.

I did the dual-boot thing off and on for the past few years, but I'd invariably boot into Windows to play a game and then not shut down my machine for two weeks so I'd never go back to Linux. Once I was able to run Civ IV in WINE, I figured I could get rid of my Windows partition all together since there weren't any MS-only programs that I use at home.

total_linux_addict
August 8th, 2007, 03:56 AM
I origanlly strated in computers using MS-DOS 6 playing DOOM2....
my first version of linux was Red Hat 7.1. I have been windows free only for a few months now because i have finally become tired of reinstalling Server 2003 Enterprise on my server (which was the last thing to go.) I only miss a few games......but thats why we have programs to run them with in linux. I'm currently testing gutsy on my laptop and my server runs Fedora.

dspari1
August 8th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I've completely switched to Linux by force actually.

Because my hard drive crashed, I have been using Linux for the last couple of months (I just moved and left behind my Windows disc). Each time I get my paycheck and attempt to buy a new copy of Windows, something always comes up and end up needing the money for something else.

Luckily for me, WoW works perfect most of the time under Wine, but patch day always ruins everything, and I'm pretty tired of having to work around it each time a patch breaks my game.

With that said, if Blizzard would release a Linux client, I probably would not need to get another copy of Windows, but that's how it is.

Sindwiller
August 8th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Full switch here mate.

risingharvest
August 8th, 2007, 12:10 PM
... BitTorrent - I've tried for ages to get it working but still no luck :( .. .

I've been a victim of ISP bandwidth throttling for many months. My uTorrent (WinXP) barely download at more than 20-30KBps. I've even tried using a Chinese BitTorrent client but some torrents still download very slowly. I gave up and accepted that there's really not much I can do.

When I install Kubuntu 2 days ago, I wasn't expecting any miracles for BitTorrent. I just hope that KTorrent would run well without any hickups. Instead, I got much more than I expected. For the first time in many months, my download speed constantly approaches my subscribed limit.

I'm sold!

But ... I was worried when KTorrent 2.1 which came installed constantly crashed every hour or so! I've upgrade to 2.2.1 now. Running smooth for more than 12 hours. Let's hope it's stable.

munkyspanker
August 8th, 2007, 02:48 PM
binned windows completly about 4weeks ago, wanting to learn something new! no regrets on losing windows use my ps2 if I want games.http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/guitar.gif

henkeC
August 8th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Made a complete switch about a year ago, can´t see myself ever going back. 8-)

krazyenglishman
August 14th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Could never do it, I love my Gaming and Graphic Design to much.

I play PES6 & FM2007 a lot, I know FM2007 works under wine, but it's a pain. PES6 never wanted to know at all for me.

And of course Photoshop CS3 is one of the main reasons i log in to XP still, I design Graphics and The Gimp just isn't powerful, or User Friendly enough.

It may sound like I'm complaining that * wine don't do this, wine don't do that * But I'm really not, it's a great program with great compatibility for a lot of programs. Just not enough for me .... yet.

kazuya
August 14th, 2007, 02:57 PM
XP is still an Okay OS. The product is good; However, all the different variation of linux have tended to do better for me performance wise and security wise.

Everything I can do in Windows and more, I can do in Linux. My pet peeve was in certain games being made only windows..And although, wine helps, it does not work for all games.

I have used Linux exclusively for about three years now. I use XP only at work and sometimes on my wife's laptop which has XP in a triple boot system. The laptop has Elive, Linux Mint, and XP. XP is the alowest of those three with Elive being fastest and most elegant by default.

With that said, I have completely switched to Linux. For those looking to switch start of with Linux Mint, PCLOS2007, Mepis, and Ubuntu. There are many others, but these are the easiest to use or start with. I would even add others which some here may not approve due certain back deals like Opensuse, Freespire and Xandros.

Adler
August 14th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Hi All,

I'm not a gamer, so I switched to Linux only about 4 years ago. I did try Vi$ta, on a new machine, but the Linux distros are so far advanced these days I trashed that OS in two days.

For those looking to switch start of with Linux Mint,

kazuya,

I agree. I've been through SuSE, and UBUNTU, but Linux Mint gave me that better out-of-the-box experience.

Adler

AxelBlade
August 14th, 2007, 10:26 PM
hi everyone

for me I use Linux 96% of the time (for the time being) abd the rest 4% on Xp only because I use AutoCAD and 3d max alot and PS3, that's the only reson why i'm still using xp.

Linux rules :guitar:

keltickelton
August 14th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I played around with Windows a little before, but didn't get active online until April of '06. A friend rebuilt an old HP Pentium III and upgraded the memory a little and put in a large hard drive and some combi burners, installed SuSe / KDE / Firefox and for $250.- I was in business. About two months ago I switched to Xubuntu / Xfce and yesterday I was downloading at about 314. I'm all over the net and the world and having fun. My friends with new PCs and XP crash and restart all the time while we're chatting. One friend apologized because ads came popping up when she opens an IM window. I don't have time for RPGs and such, but everything I use my PC for works great now. It's great to have a stable and reliable system.

Anthem
August 15th, 2007, 01:54 AM
I've got all three OSs in my house: Windows/OSX/Linux. I don't see that changing.

mcurtiss1970
August 15th, 2007, 02:33 AM
i use Windows NT at work, and I wish I could change over to Ubuntu as all I use is Wordperfect, corel spreadsheets and internet

b1lk1
August 15th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Most Windows problems are user error and user stupidity. Too many people just click blindly on every single link that pops up. I recently started learning Linux and I must say I am extremely impressed with the ease of installing Ubuntu and getting a Dual boot with XP (for gaming only) going. I tolerate XP and really don't have alot of problems with it, I just cannot stand the poor security with it. Vista is a pile of doo doo so that will never see my PC. Anyhow, just my $.02.

ipyakuza
August 15th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Used linux since 1996 (wallnut creek cdrom linux pack) off and on for the desktop but never could fully move to it due to hardware support limitations and complexity. 1998 Started in with Red Hat for my server (always was reliable). 1999 got more serious with it on the desktop but used it on my alternative computer to get more familiar with it. Still needed my windows box for gaming. 2006 went 100% linux on the desktop. Now i am 100% linux on all my servers, desktops and laptops (still use virtualbox xp for itunes, adobe cs and work related stuff). Ubuntu helped make this possible as does the wide adaptation of hardware support. With KDE & compiz for worthless eyecandy it (IMO) beats Mac and Vista and there is no longer a need to use windows as a primary os (other then gaming). If more games adapt to linux i think it opens up for a nice shift in the home user arena. Im not a fan of all the wine and emulator platforms to run windows games on linux. its a hack job at best and id rather have it done right. If they ever start porting popular games to linux, ill be 100% loyal...

alican timur
August 15th, 2007, 01:17 PM
i'm a total newbie but still.. %101 linux.

DAX 1
August 15th, 2007, 01:42 PM
My partition that has windows on it is continuing to get smaller. I've started using wine to run my windows games, working out well so far.

Michal77
August 15th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I've started using Linux with Ubuntu 5.10 on laptop with double partition. Last winter I've bought new desktop and for safe money (it was 40% cheaper) I chosen HP with pre-installed linux (some Chinese one) - I weren't using XP any-way since release of 6.4, so what for pay for it - immediately I have reinstalled ubuntu and since this time no windows at all. More imported no miss it at all...
:KS

Elf on horseback
August 15th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I was messing around with Ubuntu in WuBi (beta) and it no longer worked for me. I took the next step and I tried to put Ubuntu on a USB drive, come to find out, my laptop does not boot to USB. So next logical thing seemed to do was part the HDD. Well, Sony locks the hard drive size and does not let you part the HDD. So after a few days fighting with this thing I said the heck with it and just formated the whole HDD for Ubuntu. That was about a month ago. Yes I have had more then my fair share of problems. But the thing I love about Ubuntu vs Windows is that it may take me a few days to solve a problem, but I feel like I did something. Windows never felt like I did anything. I think its save to say I have dumped Windows and I'm not looking back.

abhi.944
August 15th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Sorry, I m still stuck halfway between the gutters and the stars :guitar:

vishzilla
August 15th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I pretty much have switched to ubuntu, though i still have a dual boot along with xp. I use xp only for certain windows oriented software like file conversions, video editing and some games

agds
August 15th, 2007, 04:24 PM
On my home network, I have three desktops, plus my laptop:

PowerSpec 6610 running Win2K
Dell Dimension 4550 running WinXP
Dell OptiPlex GX270 running Debian Etch
PowerBook G4 running Mac OS 10.4

Of these, only the Debian box and the laptop see regular use. I tried to install GNU/Linux on the latter without success—due to issues with the lack of an nVIDIA driver for the PowerPC architecture. The Windows 2000 machine mostly exists as a playground for times when I want to goof around with IPSec and such. The XP machine used to be the family desktop; we hardly use it anymore.

It took me a while to make the move, but now I could never see myself going back to Windows or even Mac OS if I have the choice. The next time I need a new desktop, I plan to build it. For a laptop, I'll probably still have to buy from a name brand, reformat the HDD and go from there.

likemindead
August 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I'm 100% Ubuntu on both my HP desktop and my Acer laptop and I have no regrets or complaints--heck, I couldn't be happier!

wakeboarder
August 15th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Just wanted to add a small note since it seems as if lot's of people dualboot.
There is an easier way to get access to Win stuff.
There is free software from VMware you can use in your Ubuntu install and then run Windows as a VMware image.
Then Windows will be just like any application you start for doing something specific.
The nice thing is that you are running ubuntu all the time and don't have to dual boot.

Just my 2c to make your life easier ;-)

gimpguy2000
August 15th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I didn't realize but I haven't been into Windows in two months now :) I don't even think about it honestly. I went from Fedora, to Kubuntu, to Ubuntu, then PCLOS and back to Ubuntu and that's where i'm going to stay. :)

Paul

amazingtaters
August 15th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I have just finished deleting my Vista partition off of my laptop, an Acer Aspire 5100, so it's all Fiesty on this baby. I do still use my WinXP gaming rig for, well, gaming. But, I am using it less and less, and once I leave for college I think I could be persuaded to make the switch totally. Though I may pine enough for starcraft 2 that if it doesn't work via WINE I'll boot up the old XP box, maybe even do some upgrades.

telegram.sam
August 15th, 2007, 09:04 PM
After careful reading here and elsewhere, to make sure I could do everything, I backed up my data, wiped XP and installed Ubuntu Feisty.

My first time trying something other than Windows (since my beloved Atari ST) and have never thought of going back.

A little nerve-wracking for a couple of weeks but everything goes OK except my hp officejet won't print - it talks to feisty with hplip, but I can't get it to print!!

I love the simplicity and look of Gnome, so am a little annoyed the most comprehensive programmes seem to be KDE programmes:

Music - Amarok - tried loads of others, none of the Gnome players will play my large collection of WMA files (I rip in FLAC now obviously).

Money - KMyMoney - I need multiple currencies.

KMyMoney actually looks OK (Amorak looks HORRIBLE), but I don't get the help files.

Other essentials are Google Mail, Google Calendar and Del.ic.ious, so no problems there.

x

Beamvr6
August 15th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I'm about to celebrate my 1st anniversary as Ubuntu user and use it for nearly everything with two exceptions. Both are about Windows games:
- Civilization IV. I'm a longtime player and consider me hardcore. Although I play all Civ games on Linux with Cedega I maintain an XP to install mods etc.
- F1 Challenge which is an excellent racesim which actually runs on Linux / Cedega but the combo graphics / fps isn't that good.

These 2 exceptions indeed are leisure and for everything else Ubuntu is my workhorse. :)

Dimitriid
August 15th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Complete switch on my desktop. Just ordered a new Laptop yesterday ( but because of the arrangements I made I am still unsure of the model, I just know what the range of specifications will be: 1-2gb of ram and nvidia or intel based video to work better on Linux ) and Im debating whenever to go Complete Mint/Ubuntu ( also debating that, nothing wrong with Ubuntu but the extras sound tempting ) and just keeping a VMware player XP installation or to dual boot XP and Mint/Ubuntu ( Definitely not keeping vista other than on recovery disks not to void warranty ).

The reason is that it is very important for me that this Laptop becomes a mobile tool for me, I gotta be able to quickly use other people's printers, scanners, etc. Vmware player support for USB caused some odd behavior and I was reading that its really not recommended to share USB ports like that anyway.

I don't know if there is such a thing but if I could find something like a universal Linux printer driver ( or one that works with vasts amounts of printers and plotters ) even if its at reduced functionality or resolution I'd definitely would not waste 3 GB on a windows partition.

But with decent printer and wireless support ( second one is less important since I can just kill integrated wifi on the bios and buy a linux friendly wifi adapter for it anyway. ) I'd probably go with 100% linux laptop.

Now If I could do things the other way around and keep a windows live cd ( I know some of em exists but I was not able to create em cause you have to build em manually cause of the licenses, etc. ) that would be good to deal with a capitalist windows world.

Chilongola
August 16th, 2007, 02:20 AM
For almost 5 weeks I have not used my Win XP computer. However I may have to go back at times as I still use fax and just cannot get get 3 various modems to work in Ubuntu. Apart from that i am more than happy with Ubuntu as I have never really been a Microsoft person...

Adler
August 16th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Chilongola,

If you ever find a suitable response here PIM me. Please.

Adler

weverjames
August 16th, 2007, 03:11 AM
I completely use ubuntu. No other OS. I just bought a dell with ubuntu 2 months ago. It was my first experience with linux. I had to read and search in the web, I reinstalled the ubuntu since the loaded by dell would not recognize my screen resolution.
After that everything has been fine. I don't miss windows at all. Actually, I want to load ubuntu in my pocket pc, but I need to know first that my current software would run too.
I tried PCLINUXOS for a while, and I have to admit it is a good option, nicer. However I like the simplicity of teh ubuntu menus, and I am runnig the 64 bits OS, that PCLINUXOS does not have.
This is also a bigger and more open community.
My ubuntu graduation was 2 days ago when I had to present a topic in powerpoint, and my presentation created with Oo run smoothly in the hospital MS powerpoint.
BYE BYE windows!!!

Lorenzo1449
August 16th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Well, I switched full time to Ubuntu Feisty from Windows 3 months ago. I used Unix in our labs at Uni some 10 years ago and loved the stability and the control that command line gives you via the terminal and still use it for every day tasks in Ubuntu. I love Ubuntu and everything it stands for from the technical, efficiency and social aspects.

So you may be surprised to find I am moving back to Windows... here's why:
- I work remotely and my company uses Microsoft everywhere. Evolution simply does not provide the functionality needed for someone constantly working via an Exchange server. Calendar and address book functions are limited and frustratingly I have missed meeting/calls as a result ostracising me from my organisation.

- Audio and video media are poorly represented in Ubuntu. The media player is unreliable and syncing problems are frequent.

- Support is often impenetrable. I appreciate that the forums are very active and there are nearly always genuine and helpful responses to specific question by people who are largely contributing with the grace of their own time. This is the social aspect of Ubuntu that I value so much. However, there is still a chasm in the language used by technically competent people and users that Ubuntu is trying to attract. Users like me who are time deficient and semi-computer literate, actually I consider myself reasonably computer literate but still get frustrated trying to get my ATI card to work, installing Java for Firefox or trying get the media player to recognise a .asf file. I often work through problems to their conclusion determined to fix them and learn a little more along the way but there are many variations on each solution and inevitably a fix is arrived at through trial, error and a couple of hours.

Let me finish this post on a positive note. I have been a committed Ubuntu user and am willing to supplement my knowledge by paying for solutions, software and support (and my cost of ownership would still be lower than Windows). I suspect there are many more people in the same situation and this must be a major business opportunity. I even tried personal Canonical support but there was no easy way of paying for it in the UK and they restrict support to 10 enquiries a year, 10!!! I would very gladly pay for a decent exchange client but Novell do not offer one unless you are an enterprise client which doesn't help me at all. There is clearly a major opportunity for software and technical support around Ubuntu and I would encourage it, it would probably cost less than just one annual license for some bloatware windows security software alone which I'll no doubt be shelling out for next week :-(

Nigel Regan
www.earth.tv

moore.bryan
August 16th, 2007, 03:51 PM
99.99%... work requires a program which only runs in xp, no luck in wine. :-(

I use MS Windows bcoz:
b. MS Office
ms office<openoffice.org (http://www.openoffice.org/)... check it out!

Only thing I really miss is a decent video editor
cinelerra (http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3)?

I've been a victim of ISP bandwidth throttling for many months. My uTorrent (WinXP) barely download at more than 20-30KBps. I've even tried using a Chinese BitTorrent client but some torrents still download very slowly. I gave up and accepted that there's really not much I can do.
deluge (http://deluge-torrent.org/)?

iTune support for my iPod - I'm using amarok but some mp3s I have put onto my iPod through it don't work and cause it to reboot which proved too annoying, at least iTunes vets the mp3s and fixes them.
ever looked into rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/)? i could never get my nano to work, so i made the switch and never looked back!

BitTorrent - I've tried for ages to get it working but still no luck :(
see above for deluge...

friend_kami
August 16th, 2007, 04:34 PM
when i figure out how to get sound working (got two soundcards, sblive for midi and audiophile 24/96 for audio, dont have the breakout cable heh) with vmware/virtualbox/whatever vm solution here, and get it working so i can use it properly withou shitloads of latency etc:(, thats the day when i completely remove windows.

that is, i use windows for Ableton Live, only. otherwise win can go bye bye for me.

glosman15
August 16th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Switched Permanently about 3 months ago. I only have my one Dell laptop, so Ubuntu is all I use now, and I'm never going back to Windows. I tried other Distros and a few other window managers and DE's within Ubuntu, but nothing can compete with GNOME for me.
So far everything is great and I have yet to even consider the thought of going back to Windows, dual booting doesn't appeal to me either, thus I'd consider myself completely switched.

shrynakesavan
August 16th, 2007, 07:54 PM
well... lots of people told me to take t slowly...u know multi boot ****... bt i chose the other way... i don't know why, they said try ubuntu on the side along with xp... but i chucked it... after all these years ."enough... is enough"... it sucked... so now i am noob... in unbuntu... it rough but i am cathing up fine... later when i get my Nikon D80... i will need Adobe CS3 and Lightroom... so planning to install a minimal XP juss for that.... but now ubuntu is my Permanent OS

benjoseph
August 17th, 2007, 06:15 PM
i still do administrate some window boxes but for my personal use, i only use linux-systems. i feel somehow very insecure (viruses, spyware ...) and uncomfortable if i am in front of a windows-box. (not so) strange, eh? i have the constant feeling that the windows-boxes will crash and get infected anytime. i am much more relaxed behind my linux-boxes... since two and a half years now. :D

You have hit the nail on the head. This is the way I feel myself. I could not put it any better. Well done. :)

benjoseph
August 17th, 2007, 06:17 PM
You have hit the nail on the head. I could not have put it better. The way you described is exactly the way I feel with Window now. Well done!:)

Sslaxx
August 17th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I'm pondering having my soon-to-be-purchased Mac Mini as a 100% Linux box.

agds
August 17th, 2007, 07:17 PM
i still do administrate some window boxes but for my personal use, i only use linux-systems. i feel somehow very insecure (viruses, spyware ...) and uncomfortable if i am in front of a windows-box. (not so) strange, eh? i have the constant feeling that the windows-boxes will crash and get infected anytime. i am much more relaxed behind my linux-boxes... since two and a half years now. :D

I'm cautious about security regardless of which OS I'm using. For me, the attraction of Linux is the knowledge that I'm the owner of my computer to a degree that's impossible for users of a non-free OS. (I'm not trying to throw this thread OT here, just giving my two cents.)

FuturePilot
August 17th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I'm sooooo close:guitar:

frankos44
August 17th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Im a developer. Its taken me nearly a year to completely switch off my windows computer to use it as a foot rest.

I had to dispensed with:

Microsoft Visual Foxpro
Microsoft Visual C++
Active Foxpro Pages
TextPad (Shame about that one)
messenger
Outlook
PhotoImpact
etc etc

In favour of:
Feisty Ubuntu
LAMP
MySql Query Browser
Bluefish
gSTM
Gaim
Evolution
Gimp

All of the windows stuff cost me a fortune, the platform was unstable and I spent 20 mins a day doing maintenance and security before i could start work.

Ive been on Linux for about 6 months and my kids also use Ubuntu and they prefer it too, No more sorting the kids PC's out.

Windows just makes me shudder now. I will never use windows again!

Why are the public forced to have a new pc pre-loaded with windows?

Why haven't people realized that they are being ripped off for an inferior system and to add insult they are forced to buy software that protects it.

You don't buy a car without bumpers and then go elsewhere to pay for them so you are protected!

Oh.. the answer to the question is Yes, I have completely switched to Linux.

Hope Bill Gates gets to read this.

Frankos

Amazona aestiva
August 17th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Almost...only games...I like playing.

ferd
August 18th, 2007, 01:06 AM
January 2004.

TheeMahn2003
August 18th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Well a lot of people have posted their life story here, I wrote my first program on a Commodore Vic-20, I will spare you the details of all in between. I spend nothing short by avg. 99% of my time in UUG currently, does it replace all my games from the windows world no and dual boot for this reason. So in essence not a complete switch, I do however have intentions of helping people make that switch.

Take away the games I have no use for windows (period) followed by a . ;)

AnnaMary
August 18th, 2007, 06:29 AM
I was introduced to Linux just over a month ago. After trying several distros and landing on Ubuntu, I have hardly used windows at all. I have a dual-boot situation set up, but I haven't needed windows lately.

Being a newbie, I still need to learn how to install a printer. I have a lexmark which I found out is bad news. I have my sights set on a new HP multifunction.

Then I need to learn how to burn cd's in ubuntu. This is probably simple. I just haven't had time to work on it. After that, I will get viavoice for dictation and be totally done with windows forever!!!

My cousin's machine just got attacked by a nasty trojan virus thing despite the firewall, antivirus, etc. He thought his computer was done for. I put Ubuntu on it for him, and I think we have another ambitious newbie on our hands.

hbalagh
August 18th, 2007, 08:47 AM
I officially made the switch just a few days ago and love it, I tried red hat years ago and it scared me, but after discovering ubuntu i love it...

i have a post i wrote about my "BIG SWITCH" here (http://www.heathersblog.com/2007/made-the-switch/)

olavjunior
August 18th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I have both xp and ubuntu, but I never use xp anymore now I've gotten used to ubuntu. The only time I boot up xp is when I'm going to update my n95

bushda
August 18th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I have one reason and one reason only to keep Windows around:

My bank (USAA) allows me to make deposits online if I use Windows and a scanner. For doing this I have VMWare installed, and a Windows XP Pro virtual machine that I fire up as needed. I go in, make my deposit(s), and shut down the vm and vmware when I'm done.

Other than that all internet activities, productivity tools, gaming, and anything else you can think of is done with Linux both at home and at work.

Sangreal
August 18th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Well Ive finally done it - 34 years old, been a windows nut for years but started working with Linux and its variants a couple of years ago. Decided to look at some distros to replace windows on my Acer Travelmate 8204 laptop over the last few months, better community, support and contribution from everyone with Linux, got sick of windows.

So I looked at Fedora7, couple other variants but Ubuntu is the one I came back to and Feisty has really excelled in meeting all my needs for this laptop.

Pretty much out of the box I have support for wireless, bluetooth, even the Acer Orbicam works straight out unlike on Fedora. With NTFS support for my external HDD, support for my wireless HP C6180 photosmart, ATI Radeon X1600 all fully working with XGL + Compiz Fusion - to the Ubuntu community just want to say a big thank you in helping me switch away fully from Windows Vista/XP to Ubuntu Feisty. I finally got rid of the windows partition on here and will probably install VMWare on here for a windows client (still have customers that need me to test on Windows desktops/servers).

Thanks guys..!!

agds
August 18th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Complete switch on my desktop. Just ordered a new Laptop yesterday ( but because of the arrangements I made I am still unsure of the model, I just know what the range of specifications will be: 1-2gb of ram and nvidia or intel based video to work better on Linux ) and Im debating whenever to go Complete Mint/Ubuntu ( also debating that, nothing wrong with Ubuntu but the extras sound tempting ) and just keeping a VMware player XP installation or to dual boot XP and Mint/Ubuntu ( Definitely not keeping vista other than on recovery disks not to void warranty ).

The reason is that it is very important for me that this Laptop becomes a mobile tool for me, I gotta be able to quickly use other people's printers, scanners, etc. Vmware player support for USB caused some odd behavior and I was reading that its really not recommended to share USB ports like that anyway.

I don't know if there is such a thing but if I could find something like a universal Linux printer driver ( or one that works with vasts amounts of printers and plotters ) even if its at reduced functionality or resolution I'd definitely would not waste 3 GB on a windows partition.

But with decent printer and wireless support ( second one is less important since I can just kill integrated wifi on the bios and buy a linux friendly wifi adapter for it anyway. ) I'd probably go with 100% linux laptop.

Now If I could do things the other way around and keep a windows live cd ( I know some of em exists but I was not able to create em cause you have to build em manually cause of the licenses, etc. ) that would be good to deal with a capitalist windows world.

Since you mentioned a Windows Live CD, you may already know about BartPE (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/). I've used it on a couple of projects in the past.

dwc-ubu
August 18th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I have used Linux exclusively for two years, except at work where I have to use a windows box (XP pro). Before that I used Mac OS X, which is really a very well done commercial linux distro with good hardware support for their own machines.

I recommend macs to people who don't want to fiddle with anything, linux to geeks! Ubuntu has required almost no tweaking on my desktop machine, a bit more on my laptop.
:)

soxs
August 18th, 2007, 08:20 PM
switched totaly to ubuntu, 1 month ago *proud*
and I'll never ever go back

RaiD_5
August 18th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I've almost completely converted, i just run Win4Lin if i ever need to emulate any M$ tasks; other than that Linux can do anything M$ can, even gaming with the right emulator.

phenest
August 18th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I used the windows just now to get some air in my room,:lolflag:

That is the only kind of windows allowed in my house.

MrHorus
August 18th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I only keep Windows around for gaming and that's the sole reason I boot it.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is consuming one hell of a lot of my time right now tho :(

Oh, and before anyone berates me I tried it in Cedega at 1024x768 and all the shizzle turned off and it was unplayable - in Windows I run 1280x1024 with everything on full and it barely misses a beat.

I tried, I really did :(

Lividity
August 18th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I said goodbye to windows about a year ago and haven't looked back at all. In my opinion windows is just garbage. I got tired of it crashing and getting sick despite the fact that I maintained it very well. The only time I run it is when I'm repairing the software errors on the computers of friends and family. All the while saying "You know, if you switched to linux you'd stop having this problem."

I guess if I was a serious gamer I would throw windows on my secondary desktop.

I've used Freebsd, Slackware, OpenBSD, YellowDog, DSL, knoppix, Debian, Gentoo, SUSE, BackTrack, Mandriva, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Netubuntu, Fluxubuntu, Slax, Security-Enhanced Linux, linux for kids, Dream Linux, OSX, and Windows 98/2000/xp/vista. I have not tried Solaris and I'd like to try linux-gamers.

Of all the distributions and operating systems I've used, I like Ubuntu the best. Which is why I have Ubuntu on my laptop and primary desktop. I have another desktop which is running OpenBSD. Ubuntu has supported all of the hardware I have ever owned. Hardware support paranoia prevented me from making the switch sooner. I honestly think ubuntu is the most functional/best desktop solution out there. I really like OpenBSD and just plain debian as well.

freeflyer57
August 18th, 2007, 11:53 PM
With absolutely no prior experience to computers, I deleted windows and started using ubuntu 5.10. I cried for a week or two, before I realized Linux is so much easier to use than windows.

rye_
August 18th, 2007, 11:57 PM
I've completely switched for home use.

OO.o is better than ms office (except excel, the loss of which pains me)
octave is a great replacement for matlab.
firefox must be the most flexible/ advanced browser out there.

Evolution almost as good as outlook
Gimp = photoshop.

The package managing system means I have lots of software at my fingertips, which was always a great irritation with MS operating systems. Now I can open just about any file format via synaptic.

Linux and Ubuntu are the best for personal use in my opinion, if only for ease of use and flexibility.

Ryan

yashoda
August 19th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I'm South African... and we HATE being oppressed.

That's what you're doing if u use mikrozoft.

You can twist it any way you want... praise it all you want, but... it's an evil empire.

it feels great to be free.

More people need to get Ubuntu - there's nothing like that fresh feeling of LIBERATION!!! it's amazing! and it's addictive.

no sane person will want to go back into the prison.

Let the LINUX revolution take over the world!

dansco
August 19th, 2007, 12:58 AM
i tryd ubuntu to see what all the fuss about......
now i am hooked on it. i don't think i ever go back to windoze.
the comand line amazes me
why see (gui)when u can do it all from your fingertips.

Snyper64
August 19th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Switched to Linux about 6 months ago and haven't looked back. My only regrets are that I can't for the life of me get my Broadcom wireless card to work but luckily for me I never used it much anyways and the lack of Gaming is killing me on certain games(when I build my new pc I may just have to make a dual-boot just for my games unfortunetly). Other than those 2 things I have no problems with Linux and have alot less problems with it than Windows gave me especially maintenance wise.

lgambett
August 19th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Completely switched to Linux 2 years ago !

zeDuffMan
August 19th, 2007, 11:34 PM
This PC hasn't seen Windows for 2 months. I started dual booting but never needed Windows for what I use my PC for so I just got rid of it altogether.

GoldenEye006
August 19th, 2007, 11:41 PM
On my laptop I use Kubuntu.

And on my desk Vista.
( Because I'm a gamer )

Dipper
August 20th, 2007, 05:13 AM
I can't switch to Linux completely because MS Streets & Trips, Satellite software, Webcam, and Pinnacle TV tuner are only supported in Windows. For everything else I use Kubuntu Feisty.

GrammatonCleric
August 20th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I'm completely linux (home servers, home workstations, home and now work laptop) for about 2 years now and no complaints. I have to say that when I first took the plunge I did go through a "detox" period where I had urges here and there to reinstall Windows for about 2-3months after I made the move. I do use VMWare to do Windows functions for primarily work but I do try to find a linux method first.

For gaming I just purchased a XBOX360...and soon a Wii.

-GC

buzzmandt
August 20th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I have completely switched to linux except to run VBox w/Winxp for MS streets and trips. Other than that, 2 home comps and a laptop are all running either ubuntu, kubuntu, or pclinuxos at any given time.

I find virtualbox for streets and trips a better solution to dual booting since it's the only "won't run on linux" software i use

gl0wst1ckn1nja
August 20th, 2007, 02:36 PM
people keep bitching about windows has the games blah blah blah get wine. rm -rf /Windows :lolflag:

get an xbox360/Wii/ps3 etc.

most of the "holy" PC games are going to be released on the consoles soon and you can play with people on computers too so its basically playing a PC game on a console.

get rid of winblowz.

i got rid of windows in 2003 and i have NEVER gone back

katasuka
August 20th, 2007, 06:28 PM
i am totally windows free on this computer and have been for at least 5 months. ive totally went over to linux and lovin every minute of it

kokopelli69
August 20th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Howdy all,

I've been a windows user since the win 3.11 days... and because I program computers in many environments I can't fully switch to Linux os's. I gotta pay the rent. :~>

I, however, did notice Linux a bit more thanks to Ubuntu. I've tried to use Red Hat Linux around ver 4 but I just didn't have the time/patience... Every once in a while I'd try only to get frustrated with the initial problems(...getting online, setting up drivers....) and it wasn't "cool" like windows. I'm sure I was not alone in those areas. All that's past now...

Thanks to Microsoft for pushing people to other systems and thanks to open source communities for responding. With a little effort I can find just about every equivalent under my Linux distros.....

Rock on guys, rock on!!!
Chris

:guitar:

toupeiro
August 20th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I run windows in a VM, and only for skype video... I do all my work and play on linux.

COME ON SKYPE!!!

Mach1US
August 20th, 2007, 09:12 PM
95% Ubuntu 5% XP and will stay clear of Vista as long as humanly possible ( hopefully FOREVER ! )

white3454
August 20th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I'm South African... and we HATE being oppressed.

That's what you're doing if u use mikrozoft.

You can twist it any way you want... praise it all you want, but... it's an evil empire.

it feels great to be free.

More people need to get Ubuntu - there's nothing like that fresh feeling of LIBERATION!!! it's amazing! and it's addictive.

no sane person will want to go back into the prison.

Let the LINUX revolution take over the world!

This has to be the funniest post I've seen on this board, been a member for a few months... I've installed, removed and re-installed fiesty since it was release on my laptop testing software and features until I finally have come pretty close to a desktop environemnt that I really am comfortable with.

I want to move my desktop over to Ubuntu, but have hit a couple snags... I have a stupid Lexmark x8150 printer that I cannot get to work on my laptop (forget scanning, I just want to print to the darn thing) the other one is TurboTax, which is of utter-importance since 'm married to an accountant...

I'm hoping that VirtualBox will save the day so I can run XP/Vista for some applications that mainly my wife will require.

Don't know about anyone else but I don't want to pay for Vista, and Vista is a HUGE resource hog of an OS. Ubuntu is a fairly easy OS to use and the resources available via the internet are absolutely amazing... Keep up the good work everyone!

ajc37
August 20th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I've been into linux off and on since redhat 6, XP had been my main OS until this spring when it died, Now i use ubuntu 7.04 completely on my PC, my printer is a brother MFC240C which works great!.

ElemonGW
August 20th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Windows? WINDOWS????? Hrm,...... what is that :)) . Anyway, I have completely swtiched to linux, I don't use windows at all (except of some times that I have to). So I could say that I user linux 99,9999999% and windows what's left :)

dhughes
August 20th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I was on the fence for a long, I even bought a Linux CD through the mail from Cheapbytes since 14.4Kbps dial-up and 700MB is brutal! I installed Red Hat version 1 I think it was, scary! "What is your monitors vertical and horizontal frequencies, if it is wrong you may damage your monitor!" Ack! But I survived.

I played around a bit but little later I found Mandrake easy on the eyes and I also discovered the joy of dual booting.

Switched to Debian after that, still dual booting.

Finally Ubuntu, I had a few problems with early versions (odd since it is Debian based) but finally got 6.06 to sort of work and then when 7.02 came out I eventually stopped dual booting. Although I still have Windows but it is virtual using VMware.

Games were also my problem, but in a way it was good since I was addicted to online gaming - I needed to stop. In a way Linux helped me in two ways: a better OS and no online games (I do know about Nexuiz, ET etc.).

err_ok
August 21st, 2007, 02:09 AM
Once i have MythTV setup on my Media centre box (I gave up on LinuxMCE) I will be completely windows free! Yey!

WanderingKnight
August 21st, 2007, 02:15 AM
It took me less than a month to nuke my XP partition :D

tbrminsanity
August 21st, 2007, 03:10 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

I have lots of Win games as well but I find that a combination of Crossover by CodeWeavers, Cedega and a WinXP virtual machine are all I need. I haven't booted into Windows in over 2 years. Games I play include Civ 4 (including the latest expansion packs), Sims2 (plus expansion packs), Warcraft III (plus frozen thrown), Splinter Cell, and of course all the classic Star Wars flier games (X-wing and Tie fighter).

Ripfox
August 21st, 2007, 04:03 AM
I think I have been off Windows completely for like 7 months. I was bouncing back in the days when I couldn't figure out wireless...now it's not even an issue. I do not think I could stomach using the alternative to Ubuntu ever again! :guitar:

Daniel Hansen
August 21st, 2007, 06:19 AM
Me. Linux since 2001. Complete switch in 2004.

jasonwatkins
August 21st, 2007, 08:56 AM
I've been 100% for only about 2 months, but I seriously can't see me ever going back to XP for anything other than games.

If GTA 4 ever came out on PC, then I'd probably fire up a partition to play it, but that would be it.

Although I imagine by that time, Wine would probably be able to cope :)

jwhiteman
August 21st, 2007, 01:46 PM
I am in the process of getting rid of Windoze... My laptop is free of Windows. I am taking my server to Ubunutu. Now as soon as I can the the remote desktop stuf working I will be set.

I only use Win in VM for the few pieces of software I cannot live without.

Oh yeah, I have a multimedia PC that is still WIndows, but as soon as I have time to do the research, I will find out how to convert that to Linux as well. Right now it captures radio streams and is my main DVD ripper and Burner. I also like Lightscribe which I understand is an issue in Linux right now..

ranser
August 21st, 2007, 05:48 PM
I have completely switched to Ubuntu because I didnt want anything between me and ubuntu. I am a monogamist ;)

BoardDWorld
August 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM
I am almost there... I need to figure out how to get my WM6 HTC VOX mobile synced with Evolution using synce. The last step will then be to see if the vino VNC server is going to work in conjunction with my mobiles VNC client. Once this is done I'm fully converted!

SUGGESTION! Please add a VNC client to Ubuntu Mobile! This will be the only thing stopping me from changing at it's release... well that and if it doesn't support my mobile:) I won't be upgrading this puppy for another 2 years...

daveshields
August 21st, 2007, 06:57 PM
I run Ubuntu on three boxes at home, and Debian on another (an ASUS barebones that uses an older VIA chip that doesn't support a hardware instruction used by Ubuntu).

I use Windows XP only on my work machine.

ronak
August 21st, 2007, 06:59 PM
I run ubuntu as my primary OS on my laptop. I have a small partition for XP mainly for Visual Studio purposes and I run XP through VirtualBox also.

smithman89
August 21st, 2007, 07:03 PM
its been a year now i guess, when i tried a dual boot of xp and dapper, xp died. So i just kept ubuntu, and i love it. Only time i use windows is either at school or on other peoples computers. And the laptop i am getting soon will be wiped clean of vista as soon as i get it.

whistle
August 21st, 2007, 09:21 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here... I have a home desktop and a laptop that are both Ubuntu, but I'm putting XP on my laptop as soon as I have a chance.

I just need a work computer that I can do stuff in, quickly and efficiently. And I guess XP gives me that. And as sad as this sounds, I like Office a LOT more than OOo... aesthetics, I guess.

But I'll still have Ubuntu on my desktop for regular use, so all is not lost...

Kiddalee
August 21st, 2007, 09:52 PM
I'm a gamer. Just not a brand-new-trendy-get-your-monthly-graphics-card gamer.

Just kidding. But you know what I mean.

I completely switched to Ubuntu Dapper last spring, on my first laptop that I could call my own, because I hate Microsoft and Apple is more expensive. But now I just love Ubuntu and I'm going to be stuck with it for a while.

I wish I could delete Windows from this computer entirely, but alas, I kept it in case I might need it in order to open Windows specific files that people send me. Besides, since this lappy was built just for WinXP, it isn't stupid to be able to reboot to Windows when I want to see if a hardware problem is due to a driver problem, or the actual hardware being broken.

(My games include old console games (mostly SNES) and the simple arcade types that you can find on every platform anyways. I like new games, but when the old and simple ones are so good, why bother?)

linuxuser9999
August 22nd, 2007, 02:43 AM
I would completely switch to linux but unfortunately I can't play all the games that I can on windows. I use linux for everything else except play my favorite games. Fortunately however, there are some games that do work on linux like Quake III, Unreal Tournament, Open Arena to name a few. If more games are able to run on linux then heck my computer will fully be running linux, Ubuntu specifically.

rahimveron
August 22nd, 2007, 08:24 AM
I have completely switched to Fiesty Fawn, even though my Lexmarlk X1185's scan does not work even with XSAne, but i dont scan anyway.

Kinuxx
August 22nd, 2007, 08:29 AM
I switched completely to Ubuntu 7.04 a few days ago after getting rid of an dual boot with XP!

(Not related question and probably will get flamed! But Apologies, I have looked all over the forum!)

How do I make a new post?
I know how to reply, but to start off one?

Thanks!

orange2k
August 22nd, 2007, 09:01 AM
A few days ago, my NTFS partition (entire drive), where XP used to be located, got destroyed.
Not that I mind, I have erased the Windows directory anyways to have more space for downloading torrents and stuff.

Now Im gonna buy a new HD, but I dont plan to install anything Microsoft related - its gonna be a ext3 partition - with no MS & no mess...:)

I just wish I could recover some 25+ GB of torrents that took some 3 weeks to download...:(

arashiko28
August 22nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
no video editor that handles titles and audio track overlays that i have gotten to work yet. i tried kino, its really great, but no titles or audio overlay. i am thinking of creating cinerellia deb packages when i get that to work, just have not had the time.

Have you tried avidemux or mencoder? avidemux is for encoding in the graphic way, mencoder trough console.

arashiko28
August 22nd, 2007, 03:59 PM
I have now 3 months withous re{installing my windows HDD, i'm thinking of deleting it, but only when i've fully learned how to edit videos and sub them. going great so far, my new problem is the sub size, it's too big, no matter how much i shrink it.:confused:

greymongrey
August 22nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
I am now totally Linux. I dual boot PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu and between the two I can do everything I ever did on Windows

Ripfox
August 22nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
I have completely switched to Ubuntu because I didnt want anything between me and ubuntu. I am a monogamist ;)

Lol...me too.

aSpork
August 22nd, 2007, 07:19 PM
I haven't even really touched it yet. When I was a few years younger my brother kind of introduced me to gentoo linux. Now that I've seen beryl + ubuntu, wine, crossover and stuff like that, I have gained enormous interest in this kind of OS and ended up joining these forums.

Tsu Dho Nimh
August 24th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Some utilities I use for 3-D design work are Windows-only, unlikely to be ported, and unfortunately VMWare can't handle 3-D graphics and WINE crashes with them.

So I'm running a totally bastardized system ... Win2K guest in VMWare, WINE (strangely, some of my oldWIN95 utilities work better under WINE than they did under XP), and a bootable Win2K.

jo3llopez
August 24th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I'm a Linux lover =] so I did!

madsmeg
August 24th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Completely Linux here, wont catch me using windows unless at uni of work or fixing someones crash or... oh well, at least my PC is "Safe"

downgrade
August 24th, 2007, 04:43 AM
I just recently gave up the XP completely. For a while we were doing fine, everything was setup the way I liked it, or at least it was a few minutes after I booted up and all my settings were some how changed... and all my games were running fine...

but everything went to hell, some how i got ambushed through my antivirus, was trying to install wow and it was telling me the cd was corrupt (turned out i needed a new drive, so THAT wasn't windows fault, but i bet it killed it... or not) so i attempted to turn off the antivirus just incase, and i was getting viruses faster then i could delete them.

and in the past months ive reinstalled windows 4 times because it kept falling apart, and i realized all my software is native linux or I could run through wine, so I gave up, found ubuntu, and now Im in love. little differnt, not thoughless but not hard, but way better.

Thank you Ubuntu.

hazelkid
August 24th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I just did and I still curse Evolution Mail for erasing all my mails from the server.... however Linux is ok. I switched to OperaMail

Deaf_Dog
August 26th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I am happy to say that I have completely gone to Linux.

I messed around with the Live CD for about two weeks and then decided to finally dual-boot with Windows. After about another two weeks of that I got rid of Windows.

I've been Windows free for about two months now and I have been able to get everything I need for a smooth transistion. Although some of that hasn't been easy, with a little searching on this forum and on the internet I got it done.

Now I'm just wondering why I hadn't switch earlier.

yuri_rage
August 27th, 2007, 12:15 AM
WIth the exception of my wife's old laptop, we are a Linux (Ubuntu Feisty) household...and loving it!

Irihapeti
August 27th, 2007, 10:55 PM
I'm fairly close to it. The only thing that's holding me back is the thought that if I remove Vista from my dual-boot machine and then decide I need it for something, I might not be able to reinstall it. So far, Ubuntu has shown itself capable of doing everything I need.

Irihapeti

Adler
August 27th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Irihapeti,

I once felt that was, but it was with XP.

I glady went Linux, and opensource apps.

Explore! We are all with you.

Adler

Irihapeti
August 28th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Thanks, Adler.

I've been using open-source and free apps for some time, even under Vista. I've only had Ubuntu for a month but I can see the day coming when I do abandon Vista altogether. I guess that might be when I realise that I'm firing up Vista only to update the OS and the anti-malware apps!

Irihapeti

Adler
August 28th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Irihapeti,

It will take along time that the Desktop, and the backend (which is ours, with opensourse) to take over.

It is a long, and steady road @ http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-08-26-002-26-OP-DT

varm78
August 28th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Me and my brother switched completely to Linux and I have to say it we are very happy, well I have been trying since Red Hat, and since then I have been testing a lot distros, but one day I install Vista and I hated, its an OS very stupid and I was so tired from micro$oft family that I decide to switch completely to Linux, excellent OS.

Sorry for my English.

Pde
August 30th, 2007, 03:00 AM
I have an XP HD and an Ubuntu HD on my primary machine; I'm trying to get Linux working as much as I can, but I still need Windows for Flash (I'm a web design student). That's really the only program I couldn't find a replacement for on Linux; although The GIMP doesn't really compare to Photoshop, it does most of what I need to do. I also have another computer that only runs Ubuntu, and an XP laptop, whatever that says about me.

Irihapeti
August 30th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Adler, I read your article. Very interesting.

You may two points that are relevant to me. One is the cost of software. I'm in the beginning stage of a small business, so on the one hand I don't qualify for "home use" or "student" concessions, but I still don't have the money to spend up large on software. With open source, I don't need to worry about that, and I'm nowhere near pushing the capabilities of such software to its limits.

Your other point was multilingual support. I'm by no means multilingual, but I do a certain amount of wordprocessing and emailing in the New Zealand Maori language. I had little difficulty in finding a dictionary, and of course at no cost. I doubt that either would be the case with MS Office.

Probably every OS has its strengths and weaknesses. Unix seems to be the thing for servers. Windows is likely to have more really high-end commercial applications, simply because it's used more in the commercial world. Macs were the thing for graphic artists - don't know if they still are. So I guess there's room for everyone.

Irihapeti

Sp4freel
August 31st, 2007, 07:43 PM
I have been playing with Live CD based Distros for several years, But I just made the switch to Linux about 2 weeks age.

mitchlinux
September 1st, 2007, 02:29 AM
I was going to do a dualboot with XP but I somehow erased the NTFS partition. So I said "what the heck" and erased all partitions and created new ones for a clean Ubuntu only OS install.

I'm currently happy with it.

holiday
September 1st, 2007, 02:48 AM
I haven't had Windows at home for six years. At work I have it, but I spend a lot of Putty time in Solaris and HP Linux. I have a Macbook laptop because I wanted a Unix laptop - and after running two laptops on Fedora and Ubuntu it was breaking my heart.

The only reason people need Windows is for Office and games. We've sortv got Office ok, but games have a problem. For some reason, gamer Linux users aren't into coding.

Ok ok - sorry sorry sorry. But I think it's because most of the Linux coders are working. I think that maybe what's happening is that it's hard to make a business case for developing a great game when you're talking about giving it away.

If your boss is IBM or Sun or Oracle, then you can be paid for making Open Office or Evolution as good as they can be or even a Desktop. But a game? That you're going to give away?

And sound is crap. I mean - who needs sound with his or her spreadsheet? You probably don't even care if your email doesn't ding.

So that's the problem, I think.

It makes sense for businesses to co-operate and create a shared highway rather than have to pay some other biz for every time you say boo. That's what Linux is really about.

Otherwise we'd be using Linux for the great games.

Oh dear - I see I've wandered off ...

mramsey
September 1st, 2007, 02:02 PM
I had my first taste of Linux / Unix a couple of years ago utilizing web servers for a couple web sites I was doing at the time. I liked what I saw. Then early this year I built a 1TB Raid 5 NAS Server, NasLite-2 (http://serverelements.com), Based on the current Linux Kernel. It works great!

After that I had an old pc laying around so I started to read up on all of the different Linux distros that were out there. I found the Ubuntu site and the support forums, read alot and liked what I read. The Ubuntu take over at my house is almost complete. My 5-year old is the first full time user of Ubuntu, He's into his music and games. Last week my 15-year old mistakenly downloaded a malicious active-x control and screwed up his pc. He is now the second full time user, and love's it!

My desktop it currently going through the dual boot. The main reason for that is my Wife and some of my games. My wifes laptop will never give up her laptop - she fears change.:lolflag:

Once my pc is done Ubuntu will be my primary desktop and Windows for a couple of my games, Medal of Honor, Brothers in Arms.

Flavian
September 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM
I have to say that I completely switched to Linux already, BUT I will swith to Mac OSX Leopard in October.
It is not that I dislike Linux, I much love it. I do love the newest compiz fusion and the amount of good, free software it has to offer.
BUT.
Some things really annoy me:

- There is NO video cutting software at all. At least no good one that you can really use.

- Skype does not work, just because I can not get my microphone to work. And I am sick of trying around, using 1581726 howtos that mess up my system more and more :(

- Beamer just does not work right, the picture is unsharp and blury.
I know that it is NOT a beamer issue though, cause I tried windows at the same time on the same beamer, and the picture was very nice and sharp on windows, but not on ubuntu. :(

- Syncing (and that is by far the MOST annoying thing!) just does not work (anymore) I could sync my mobile phone with evolution like 5 times and then it stopped working. Also the synced fields were not displayed in the right order. And special characters like: äöüß etc... were not displayed the right way.

That's why I decided to switch over to Leopard when it comes out!
If someone has a neat solution for my problems I would be very glad, but if not, those reasons will make me switch to mac OSX.

anandanbu
September 1st, 2007, 02:59 PM
Just broke the gates and windows (of my house).
Living with (Feisty)Fawn now :)

Sp4freel
September 2nd, 2007, 08:34 PM
not only did Switch to linux I uilt my router with linux:guitar:

dpj23
September 2nd, 2007, 08:54 PM
The only way to 100% make the switch is to do it... Then if there are any problems you'll be forced to figure them out... Anything less than being 100% committed will always allow an excuse for keeping Windows around...

However once it was gone in my life the world didn't end it just kept moving differently than before... Now, it has become everyday life and now I explain to all my Windows friends how I did it...

Holder
September 2nd, 2007, 08:58 PM
I've completely on Ubuntu the one and only.

I was a gamer to, Now listen, i really love ubuntu and linux, but if the games are real importent to you, keep windows around. I really hate windows or Microsoft, but that's it. maby if you will come and be a linux programmer, you will creat more games for linux, who knows? ;)

Washi
September 2nd, 2007, 09:41 PM
Just for peoples info, approximately 75-80% of all games that are released are developed on UNIX or GNU/Linux, the difficult bit is getting the game companies to release the Linux versions. (We all know why they develop under Linux and Unix, Stability, Security, Cost, Toolsets)

What many of them don't understand is that they could still charge for the games for Linux users so long as they don't GPL it etc.
http://www.linuxgames.com/ and similar sites can help
http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/ is a company / organization that is working to legally port some games over to Linux (Some of which were originally developed under Linux, but I digress).

If the Linux community mentioned the fact that they want Linux games, then we might get them. Right now the world believes Linux users are ¨Nerds¨ or that ¨they¨ only want to use applications. They don't understand that most of us, just want freedom to do what we want, with what we want to use without ¨Uncle Bill¨ telling us what to think, do and believe..

I keep noticing posts on game developers websites saying when will the Linux version be released, that is exactly what we need, only we need to stop saying, if there isn't going to be one that weĺl just install it under windows or wine etc. We need them to start to understand that if they don't make the games for all PC´s that they WILL lose sales.

Ive been waiting for a particular game for 2 years now - Spore, and if they don't release it for both major OS´s then I wont be getting it. Simple.

themadhatter
September 3rd, 2007, 12:19 AM
Well, Windows blew up one too many times, so I've got Ubuntu on my laptop, and now if never blows up. My file server is still on Windows, but I'm going to move it as soon as I have time.

My only issues so far are:

1) Sound not working
2) Synaptic doesn't always set up apps in the menu

I get those two things solved, and I'm laughing.

Wayne

bigbearomaha
September 3rd, 2007, 01:03 AM
I have a few machines in my house, all but one run only Linux. various distros, Kubuntu being one of them.

One computer ( the "family" computer ) is a dual boot with XP for the kids because of all the games and educational software that has been bought and can be used only on Windows.

I am not a MS hater. I don't think it's an example of a good and ethical company and I think their commitment to selling a quality product was sold out for making a profit instead (corporate thinking is the ruination of America )

I don't use Linux because I "hate" MS, I use it because overall, I think it is a better system and it has much more usability and growth potential than Windows ever will have.

Big Bear

Vadi
September 3rd, 2007, 01:07 AM
If you don't count my virtualbox with xp, which is only booted for 5 mins a day for compile a .exe and them promptly shut down, I've completely switched.

I find Ubuntu just to be a superior OS, there's no reason for me to use Windows.

Kayos02
September 3rd, 2007, 01:11 AM
I am dualbooting, but I am falling more and more into ubuntu as time goes on. I believe even after I don't use windows at all anymore I will still keep it. I grew up on Windows and spent alot of time with Windows, so I don't think I will be able to get rid of it.

Uncle_Grombor
September 3rd, 2007, 07:04 AM
About 3 weeks ago I finally closed my eyes, said a prayer and totally jumped head first into Linux. No more winblows for me. I thought it would be a problem at first, but guess what, Bioware offers Linux solutions to most of there mainstream rpgs like Neverwinter Nights, so that you can run these games natively in Linux. The only other thing I had to get over was that I played Everquest 2, but then again I didn't like it that much anyway!!! There is so much in the way of programs, games, and emulation I've found in synaptic that if I'm not satisfied for the next 830 years, then there is something wrong with me! :lolflag: I started out with rpm based flavors like Redhat, but I think I found the pot of gold in Ubuntu. The community is awesome and I don't think I could ask for more from anywhere. It has better support then Microsoft, but then I don't think that would be saying much when Microsoft is concerned! May the force be with you and Ubuntu Live long and Prosper!!

rabid9797
September 3rd, 2007, 07:06 AM
i just completed my full switch to linux, i just realized i can use gnomad to transfer music to and from my Creative Zen Vision:M, so i don't need windows for anything ever again. today is a good day :)

Azzco
September 3rd, 2007, 07:32 AM
I haven't booted into windows for about half a year now I still keep the partition as Unreal Editor doesn't work under wine. The games I play UT (99) and some emulated pieces of nintendo games works very well under linux. if it weren't for that edito I'd be having more space for my home partition, hehe.

when UT3 comes out I'll probably turn into a full time ubuntu user but right now I'm keeping my broken windows on the HD.

BungaMan
September 3rd, 2007, 12:13 PM
Full time ubuntu since dapper because I messed up the partition. Maybe unconciensly it was on purpose :) Did the whole line coming from DRDOS ... up to XP. Gaming on freequake is enough entertainment for me so I'm happy. Except for a few non-supported pieces of hardware for which a virtualbox installation does the necessary magic.

neorou
September 3rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
I used Macs mostly, but the lack of hardware choices from Macs just doesn't sit right with me. Plus I get exposed to more OSS on linux, so last week, I made the big switch. Edgy works best on my Dell Latitude 100L (has non-factory mods).

At home I still have a Windows box that will eventually run Feisty. The only thing left for me to figure out is to properly run Filemaker Advanced version 9 on Wine or some kind of VM so I could continue developing on it for people at work. I haven't had a chance to play with that yet, and until I do it will still run Windows. We also have a mac mini to record shows - it's easier to use it rather than set-up MythTV on a big box PC with a better hauppage card.

Then, at work they will still force me to use a mac or Windows. I'll be bringing in my Edgy laptop everyday though - that will be my main machine.

I think by year's end, I will be completely Ubuntu...:)

James7
September 3rd, 2007, 09:59 PM
I switched completely to Ubuntu. The Feisty Fawn not only installed perfectly on my laptop but it had (with some packages added from the Add/Remove and Synaptics) all the programs I need. It also makes my laptop feel about four times as powerful as it did under Windows.:)

parvinder
September 3rd, 2007, 11:14 PM
I just switched from windows MCE to Ubuntu. I was thinking of dualbooting but I couldn't install windows because it did not recognise my sata hdd and I don't have FDD in my laptop. So, I installed Ubuntu and is the only OS now.

There are few things which make me feel that I might have to go back to windows even though it makes my laptop work a bit slower, they are as under:

* Unable to do audio/video chat from yahoo, msn, gtalk, etc??
* Unable to play web streaming channels which support Windows Media streaming or even can't play trailers on apple.com
* My logitech quickcam for notebook doesn't work which I bought a month ago?

So, far these are the only things... but basic browsing and word processing is fine no issues with that.

If I get solution to these things which I am still working on ( I hate that) I might stay!! for long time.......

Vadi
September 4th, 2007, 12:35 AM
* Unable to do audio/video chat from yahoo, msn, gtalk, etc??
* Unable to play web streaming channels which support Windows Media streaming or even can't play trailers on apple.com
* My logitech quickcam for notebook doesn't work which I bought a month ago?

1) I don't know about audio/video chat, didn't use it yet, don't have any need to.
2) YouTube and Google Video work fine for me. I just went to apple.com, clicked on 'watch the ad', and it's playing for me.
3) I just pulled out a little white eyeball which I've never used marked "logitech" with a lens-like thing at the front, I suppose that's a video camera I was supposed to use for something along time ago. Anywho, logic telling me that xsane is the app to use with it, I lauched it, located the "scan" button in it, pointed the eyeball at my face, and got some blurry picture of a head. So I suppose the eyeball worked.

So while I can't say anything about the first point, 2 and 3 worked flawlessly for me, within 15 mins of testing time (while I was typing this post).

:|

victor9098
September 4th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Hello All,

I completely switched almost 3 months ago! Was a big jump as this was my first experience with any sort of Linux system. Have not had to type command line code since my C64 (way back in the day!). Sure, a few little snags but everything is going smoothly.

My only 2 problems are not being able to sync my mobile phone contacts and calendar. The other is Evolution just refuses to send email via gmail! Very frustrating. Tried every tutorial I could find but no luck, maybe the next Ubuntu release will fix both of the above (I hope).

The best part has got to be the community. So many people willing to be patient with is GUI addicts. The OS is great, I love the look and feel of it. Anyone who is considering trying this out full time should go for it. You will not look back, maybe the odd stumble though!

shynko
September 4th, 2007, 02:13 AM
I completely switched to linux nearly a year ago after a virus destroyed the windows login files. but I have to say I want to thank whoever made that virus cause it sent me to a ubuntu live cd and I never looked back.:):):):):):):):)

Adler
September 4th, 2007, 02:26 AM
What many of them don't understand is that they could still charge for the games for Linux users so long as they don't GPL it etc.

Washi,

You are so right there!

I hear this over, and over again. I can't play my games.

gasolinehabit
September 4th, 2007, 03:14 AM
1. Let's see..... i use 6.06 on this machine because 7.04 wouldn't work with my $ony Vaio - Intel (proprietary ATI-X300 video drivers)..... (250gb hd Windoze Media Center Edition/80gb DAPPER, soon to get a 250GB VFAT32 SATA for storage)

i tried putting SUSE SLED on this machine, but it sucked. maybe not SUSE's fault, to much proprietary CRAP on this VAIO..............

2. I use 7.04 on my home brew ASRock motherboard/ATI video machine, dual booted with Windows XP (pirate edition).(60GB Fiesty/ 160GB Windoze/ 200 GB storage)

3. i have another machine (Cyrix II, 250Mhz, 308Mb RAM, 4GB HD) that will only run Puppy Linux. sometimes i take the hard drive out of this one, boot from live CD to RAM and run with no live CD or Hard Drive just to impress my friends. (try it some time, it works) FREE COMPUTER!

4. I have another FREE (as in beer) computer that is dual boot PUPPY LINUX and DAPPER DRAKE. Dapper is a little slow on this machine (celeron 1.3Ghz, 256 RAM - 80GB DAPPER/ 40 GB PUPPY) so i mostly use puppy on that one....

************ I have too much stuff on my XP computers to totally abandon them. besides myspace IM is not available on LINUX just yet and my kids use that alot...

I'm looking forward to the day when I'll be WINDOZE free, and will never, ever, never buy VI$TA.... (Viruses Intruders Spyware Trojans Adware)......:guitar:

Oh, and does anyone know of a good VOIP phone that will work with LINUX??????????????????????????

sprog
September 4th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Yes all home computers have been running Linux 100% since Ubuntu 6.10, 2 on Edubuntu, 1 on Ubuntu. Also my children's school converted all but 5 of their computers to edubuntu over a year ago. It just works...

gasolinehabit
September 4th, 2007, 03:49 AM
one more important note.......... at work we use XP for the NIPR net and we use SOLARIS on the SIPR net.

just goes to show, when you really want your data to be secure UNIX-LINUX is AWESOME!

Adler
September 4th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Yes all home computers have been running Linux 100% since Ubuntu 6.10, 2 on Edubuntu, 1 on Ubuntu. Also my children's school converted all but 5 of their computers to edubuntu over a year ago. It just works...

sprog,

I'm not much of a writer, but I had to write to Linux Today about my experience with Linux.

The Article was about Why I switched to Linux. And, was published @

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-08-26-002-26-OP-DT

Do the same with your experiences.

It all helps!

Adler

Kedaeus_Sendre
September 4th, 2007, 04:56 AM
I used windows 2000, exclusively, up until 6 months ago. However:
I've had a Ubuntu Box as a "project" for the past year or so.

I decided to drop windows when Vista came out and all of my buddies at work we're showing off their Vista / DX10 ready laptops.. that they used to surf the internet.. that ran slow as balls.

I didn't up-grade to XP for the same reason I wouldn't even dare skip it and migrate to Vista.. They are both slow, resource hogging platforms headed towards tyrannical lock down with trust computing and DRM.

Windows 2000 was the last golden child of Microsoft since.. since.. they stole DOS out of IBM's dumpster back when Ultima VIII was the bleeding edge of gaming.. Back when the user had control over what went into their computer.

Now.. I've got 350% control over my operating system. I don't game anymore (don't have time, I'm married with a child, and in the Army). I now spend most of my time developing programs in Python to make my job at work less stressful so I can focus on bringing home the bacon to my family and recording music.

I'm proudly 100% ubuntu. I record music, Make videos, Organize Photos, Keep up with Finances, Surf the web, write applications, and even play guildwars from time to time..

Very shortly.. I'll be taking Ubuntu with me over seas to Iraq.. where the experience will continue. I'll be leaving Windows 2000 at home in the waste basket.

-Ked

gasolinehabit
September 4th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I'm in the Army too, good luck in Iraq (been there twice).

Maybe the insurgents are just really disgruntled Windows users who need to re-format their HD's and start using Ubuntu?

orionsbelt
September 4th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I started using Linux in January, with Ubuntu as the only OS on my machine. (I had a Dell, and it was being a pain in the a** about dual booting.)

I decided I wanted to pick up gaming more heavily. I was building a new machine anyway, so I made one that was both good for gaming and good for Ubuntu hardware-wise (for example, using nvidia instead of ati). I set up a dual-boot system, and really found it annoying to use. I intially wanted to play Oblivion, which is not supported in wine. However, I quickly decided that I was more interested in playing World of Warcraft anyway. I stuck with dual booting because I'd already set it up.

Finally, I got completely fed up with switching between Winblows and Ubuntu whenever I wanted to do anything besides play WoW. I set up Ubuntu + wine a few weeks ago, and haven't looked back. Now, I only wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

:KS

ptillemans
September 4th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I am running for 2 years without windows on my work PC after WinXP decided to eat my C partition. Windows is now strictly under VMWare about once a month or so (for GoToMeeting or some other silly stuff)

At home I restarted using XP for Photoshop and Gaming, but mainly because I was losing touch with Windoze and people expect me to give them reasonable, balanced answers.

Peter

kigango123
September 4th, 2007, 09:53 PM
no matter how good wine gets, it still wont let me play some of my games,

backstrap
September 5th, 2007, 12:58 AM
I have an hp laptop... a somewhat older model, the DV6105us... solo core onboard nvidia 6150 chipset... nothing too special. it came with XP and while it worked ok for a while, all the crap that was added in addition to XP screwed everything up. about a month ago i was only able to boot 1 in every 6 times successfully. if it booted it was good to go. after hours and hours of indian tech support (of which most of the time they had me do EXACTLY the same thing) i decided to try linux. i shopped around for a distro, started with mandrake, now mandrivia, no go, got into gentoo, but decided that i was not quite ready for all the xtra config. and now im here with ubuntu, having fun configuring both kde and gnome to see which i like better. no windows on my machine and im not looking back. :D besides, who wants to pay for an OS that doesnt even come wtih a complete software package? instead of including usefull programs like office, microsoft ends up selling licenses to hp dell etc who put norton (>.<) mccaffe (:O+++) vongo (on hp machines) and all sorts of other useless and intrusive software that i dont want. then its 129.99 for office, more for photoshop... plus there is no longer easy driver support for xp cuz they are pushing vista which sucks at EVERYTHING... even gaming... so im converting. my laptop is 100% ubuntu... my desktop is slightly behind.. its running 70% gentoo 30% nothing... installation error.. config file error... havent gotten around to putting ubuntu on it. anyhoo. who needs WOW when kde has AMOR the onscreen creature? much more entertaining and way less addicting no?

groovywombat
September 5th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Personally I'll never leave OSX I need photoshop finalcut pro and maya for my work. However the community computer that resides in the living room has switched forever. my girlfriend who could litterally only go to myspace with windows has without ANY help from me found out how to watch DVDs, listen to music and open the word processor. This is pretty awesome and i've stoped having to answer questions.

Adler
September 5th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Kedaeus_Sendre,

Good luck to you soldier, and God Bless.

Adler

lobotomize
September 5th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I've been using XP and Ubuntu together for a few months now, and have been hoping to make the switch to just Ubuntu, but the gaming was holding me back. Then my windows drive failed (it's a 7-year old HDD). Now I'm all Ubuntu. I still miss my games, although I think I'm just going to get an xbox360 (boo microsoft, I know, but they have more of the games that I like to play anyway).

stoli150
September 5th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I will never put Windows on my system again. I am a consultant by trade and I have had a few converts to the Linux team. The ones who have converted feel the same way and wished that had made the change sooner. When I come across an XP box I tell them I can can try to fix or reinstall xp for X price or I can try to install linux for Y price they usually choose Linux

o3rat
September 6th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Man after installing windows Vista for my cousin, i never want to go back to windows again. system resource nightmare. Once i get ubuntu running Civ4 with Warlords + Beyond the Sword expansions ill be done.

67comet
September 6th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Around October 2002 I hadn't used my XP install, so I reinstalled JAMD Linux as the only OS on my box, and haven't used MS' OS since. UNTIL I took a "Project Management and Implementation" class. They HAD to have MS Projects files for the assignments. There was no MS Projects equiv that could save in .mpp format, SO, I stuck Virtual Box on my Box and woohoo, MS' OS fired up, hooked to the internet, downloaded a trial version of MS Projects .. used it and dunked the VirtualBox image in the trash the day I found I passed the class. WOOHOO For the *nix stuff! (I still feel ka-ka for having to use that on my own box; work is one thing, but home? No thanks).

I do however own a loaded MacBook Pro 17" that has Mac OS X with Parallels running my trusty Ubuntu. Soon to dual partition that notebook since I really feel cleaner when I use *nix (Namely Ubuntu).:guitar:

Vadi
September 6th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I joined a basic programming class this semester, just to get credits.

On the first lesson, I was told we'll all be doing it in VB. There was nothing said about VB in the course description. I promptly dropped the class that evening...

Trying to find a replacement now :|

kiderjones
September 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Last spring I decided that I needed a new HD while still using Windows, & trying Ubuntu in dual boot. Around the same time Vista was just coming out, and I was liking Ubuntu.
So I bought the new HD, removed the old HD, installed the new HD, installed ONLY Ubuntu, and transferred my old files from the old HD.
It was flawless, and I've been Windows free for 6 months now.
Cheers Ubuntu!:)

mac71
September 6th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I've been ubuntu only for a few months now. All i miss is some of the microsoft GUI's and my Dell A-I-O 922 Printer/scanner now gathers dust, as they're not supported (I've not found anything to say otherwise). It would be nice to be able to make calls in aMSN. Ive tried in GyachE Improved and I can't get it to work even after installing sidetrack.
Other than that, I'm proper chuffed. Ubuntu is much faster and far mor stable on my machine, than Windows ever was.

derekr44
September 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I'm almost completely switched, but unfortunately will never be 100% Ubuntu (at my current job anyway).

I'm required to be able to access our VPN via iPassConnect and Nortel. There is no Linux version, so I am forced to use my Windows partition to connect.

thegreenblob
September 6th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I have been using only ubuntu for around ~8 months. :D

I am also a gamer though, I game mostly on consoles, and when I game on pc there normally shooters like quake... which there's a lot of them. lol.

Though, I am thinking of installing windows xp in a virtual machine. Not actually for me though, cause everyone always asks me for help with there computers, and what do they use? Of course, they use XP. lol. And I pretty much been pulling answers out of memory, but sometimes that's hard. >.>

dryder
September 9th, 2007, 10:59 PM
The _only_ things preventing me closing down xp completely are:

1. finding an available, suitable scanner (and program for multiple page scan to printer, scan to app, scan to fax, scan to email, scan to file)

2. finding a Portfolio Manager so I can keep ALL the existing data in my current Portfolio Manager

3. working out how to size the windows in QouteTracker (windows based platform)

4. something that lets me print on discs on my Epson R210

5. Dragon Naturally Speaking (or equivalent)

David

00l0
September 10th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Primary OS is UbuntuStudio, though i still go back to winxp, i'm simply addicted to Ableton Live, i need a Linux clone(as productive as the original). THat same day, winxp will be completely erased from my HD right away.

: D

Analord
September 11th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Using only ubuntu since hoary.

Great progress imho :)

Cool Surfer
September 11th, 2007, 05:41 PM
It will take me some time to completely switch to ubuntu.

But now I spend more time in ubuntu. So good thing. :guitar:

derekr44
September 11th, 2007, 06:52 PM
99% switched over now. Managed to get my company's iPassConnect & Nortel VPN working through VirtualBox. Only thing holding me back now is Battlefield 2 :)

Other than that, my XP partition is ready for wipe.

hairshirt
September 11th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Me, Me, Me, Me

markp1989
September 11th, 2007, 09:00 PM
my laptop is 100% linux, but i still have windows on my Desktop, because my printer dont work with linux :'(

samtay
September 11th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I have completely switched, it was hard at first but I'm glad I did. My laptop and computers run like a dream. on windows they worked like a dream for the first week or so then just become unstable.

MojoX
September 12th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Both my wife and I have completely switched. After running both Ubuntu and OSX for the las couple of years, we both ditched our Macs (me in January, her last Saturday) and bought laptops and immediately loaded Ubuntu. Now we are 100% GNU/Linux.

Oh, and my mother-in-law has been 100% Ubuntu for a year and she absolutely loves it.

zetsumei
September 12th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I keep going back to windows -_-

But hopefully now that I'm installing Ubuntu on my laptop I'll finally be 100% ubuntu.

cmarlow84
September 13th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Well...
I shifted to Ubuntu as a primary OS about 2 weeks ago.
I haven't booted Xp since a week (because I wanted to print a page). Lets see how long I can stay withount doing that. :)

lol are you still counting the days since you've had to log into WIN?

~ Christopher ~

cmarlow84
September 13th, 2007, 03:56 AM
I just dont think I could fully switch......

I use OUTLOOK 2003..... I have way to much email that I dont know how I would get moved over to NIX

secontly....... I installed Yahelite into WINE and.... I cant voice chat on yahoo messenger..... thats just something I like to do.....

If you know any ideas let me know!

Ps... when I booted back into windows while ago..... windows totally locked up when I launched aim.... Even though NIX is on a seperate partion on the OTHER side of the hardrive.... You dont think thats linux messing up my pc?

that didnt happen untill I put NIX on here.... sorta worried its Hosed my xp installation :( ..... I sure hope not

~ Christopher ~

sstusick
September 13th, 2007, 04:21 AM
I haven't booted into Windows since I first installed Ubuntu on August 9th, 2007. Before that I used SuSE (Feb - May) but that was just a disaster, so I ended up going back to Winblows. It wasn't until August that I decided to try Ubuntu, and I'm glad I did... it has kept me Winblows free :-D Most of the programs I used on Winblows had Linux versions, so I had no problem switching over completely.

fisting_mayfield
September 13th, 2007, 05:55 AM
I've just made the permanent switch to linux!!!
well, except for my MCE box, i havent got around to configuring mythTV for my DVB-T card yet

logreeval
September 13th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Everything I have is Ubuntu :D

Both my main box and my laptop and they are compatible with all my hardware :D

I love Ubuntu! ;)

multifaceted
September 13th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Still dual boot at home, haven't booted WinXP in over a month now.... I haven't had to... everything works almost flawlessly! Unfortunately, I am forced to keep it for my Adobe apps... and of course, I use WinXP Pro at work.

Overall, my personal computing is totally Ubuntu Linux.....99.99%

saru411
September 13th, 2007, 06:26 AM
have been running ubuntu since april 07 and have never looked back.

virus/back door free is the way to be

gishaust
September 13th, 2007, 07:29 AM
I have three machines ubuntu server ubuntu box and a windows box. I am not total sold on getting ride of the window box.
As it is my security as linux is completely new to me. but I am enjoying it

evildarknight
September 13th, 2007, 01:44 PM
On my desktop i use only linux for 2 years now
still have windows (and ubuntu) on my laptop to sync my smartphone
waiting for jlime for my nec mobile pro 900
my pentium has been running debian sarge for ??????? dont remember?????

jviscosi
September 13th, 2007, 03:12 PM
We haven't had a Windows machine in the house since some time in 2004. My wife has her G4 iBook and I have Linux (first Mandrake, which became Mandriva, and now Ubuntu).

I still have to use Windows XP at work (VB6/C#/VB.NET programmer) and find it aggravating in many, many ways.

Washi
September 14th, 2007, 12:36 AM
If your Ubuntu is on a different partition or even physical drive then doubt Linux had that effect, 99.999% certain infact, id be more suspicious of a virus under windows, the longer you are away from windows the more chance your windows virus checker will be out of date, and by the time the virus checker updates its too late, infected, Ive seen a lot of cases like that and in most its a solely windows user that gets burned, not booting the machine up for 3 days etc.

On the Outlook matter, in Outlook, export your contacts to csv, and export your emails the same way, then in Ubuntu Evolution or whatever you prefer, import those csv files, set up your connection, and away you go. Thats what I did, and I had no problems.

If you really want Yahoo Messanger under Ubuntu, download the YM Ubuntu version from the Yahoo site, then you should have all the features your after. (EDIT: When I tried this 2-3 months ago, it was up-to-date and I cant remember what if any features were missing, I didnt notice any missing anyway, I more recently switched to GAIM though so im not sure if they removed functions or anything)

Hope this helps you Christopher

:popcorn:

I just dont think I could fully switch......

I use OUTLOOK 2003..... I have way to much email that I dont know how I would get moved over to NIX

secontly....... I installed Yahelite into WINE and.... I cant voice chat on yahoo messenger..... thats just something I like to do.....

If you know any ideas let me know!

Ps... when I booted back into windows while ago..... windows totally locked up when I launched aim.... Even though NIX is on a seperate partion on the OTHER side of the hardrive.... You dont think thats linux messing up my pc?

that didnt happen untill I put NIX on here.... sorta worried its Hosed my xp installation :( ..... I sure hope not

~ Christopher ~

sstusick
September 14th, 2007, 01:02 AM
If you really want Yahoo Messanger under Ubuntu, download the YM Ubuntu version from the Yahoo site, then you should have all the features your after. The AIM and Yahoo Linux/Unix versions are out of date and lack 90% of the features on their Windows counterparts. It is sad that they can't produce a decent working version of AIM and Yahoo for Linux that is similar to the Windows versions (And yes, I am aware of the alternatives, but they don't hold up, IMO).

ArtF10
September 14th, 2007, 01:10 AM
I have personally switched over to Ubuntu. Rest of the familym though, still uses Windows although I think it will only be a matter of time.

Having said that, getting completely rid of Windows, for them that is, will probably not happen ever.

Vadi
September 14th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Yeah I usually keep my Ubuntu quiet 'till someone complains about their Windows problems.

Then they have Ubuntu up and running in a matter of a week :)

Gremlinzzz
September 14th, 2007, 02:54 AM
I did and now im sure i made the right choice was reading the news and found out that Microsoft can and did stealth update and even with the update program turned off.Makes you wonder what was in that update.
:guitar:

Vadi
September 14th, 2007, 03:16 AM
I read that too.

A lot of people I find are very frustrated with Vista now, heh.

equal
September 14th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Vista is ridiculous. There were more updates from Dapper to Edgy (four months' development) than there were from XP to Vista (5 years' dev).

I've been running Ubuntu exclusively since Hedgehog (5.04) with a few (very brief) excursions into other Linux OSes and Win XP. I run it on my laptop and my desktop, and I have zero problems with it.

djknorr75
September 14th, 2007, 03:34 AM
I've gotta say folks, I helped my parents set up Vista a few months ago while visiting, and now I just put Ubuntu on a pc I built.....the winner for ease and time? Ubuntu!!

Everything just worked without having to worry about installing drivers, even my wireless mouse and keyboard, which I was worried about!:biggrin: I've still got xp on my other machine (haven't convinced my wife to make the switch), so I'm a middle of the roader here.

TheThinker
September 14th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I switched over to Linux about 4 months ago, and so far love Ubuntu. I haven't tried other distros yet, but as far as I know they're just variations of the same operating system. Hey, if the Terminal is universal for all linux machines, I'm happy.

Before with my XP machine I would download great-quality freeware anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall software in an effort to keep my system squeaky clean. The cost was, of course, system resources and constant updates thanks to ingenius virus-writers and the holes within the system. So far the scanners mainly rely on being able to find a virus that's on their lists; new viruses and hacks are relatively free to roam. It takes a lot of work to keep XP well-guarded.

Not with Linux though! Sure, viruses and hacks can still happen but not nearly as damaging as with what I had to deal with. The system is more manual than automatic, which makes me feel like its overlord at times. Trust me, the switch was worth it. As for games, they're coming. I use wineX now and I'm anxious to try out some old windows goodies that I left behind.:)

pakku
September 14th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I have got the downstairs PC which my wife and daughter use for web, email, etc running Dapper now. it is a 6yr old celeron processor w/ 512MB RAM but performs acceptably.
Since they were using Firefox for the last year or so, they don't see the difference. I occasionally run into websites with a/v content that won't play but it is much better now than a year back.

On my PC upstairs, I couldn't make the cut over because I just haven't found good alternatives for the video tools I use on windows to convert .mpg and .avi files to DVD. tovid was just not as easy to use.

But now that I have discovered vmware player, I should be able to boot into just the Linux partition.

Vadi
September 14th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Take a look here (clicky (http://www.getdeb.net/category.php?id=12)), maybe you'll find something.

pakku
September 14th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks will do.
I am looking for something like divx-to-divd
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/vso_divxtodvd_free.cfm
This takes anything and converts it to a dvd. since i download a bunch of indian flicks it is convenient for me to watch on my tv!

cypresstwist
September 16th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I use Linux exclusively for about 2-3 years. Still keep Windows around, haven't booted it since autumn 2006.

erlinux
September 16th, 2007, 07:28 PM
i dont use windows at all :), but u re-use the crossoverp_office every30days so i can run msofficexp

Giggity
September 16th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I've been almost a Linux-only man for months, now... Since May 2007 I think. I installed Feisty on my desktop, and after a couple of months with so few problems, I went ahead and cleared WinXP off my drive, then reinstalled Ubuntu to the #1 partition. I still have a drive formatted with NTFS, and when I get the chance to borrow a large hard drive from someone, I'll back it all up, reformat my drive, and then return the data to its new Ext3 home. Looking forward to it.

What little I do use in Windows, I can use via a Virtualbox or VMWare VM running WinXP.

When I bought the laptop I'm writing this message from, the first thing I did after turning it on was to back up the factory-default Vista installation to a DVD (in case I ever want to sell the computer to a Vista user), repartition the drive and install Ubuntu to the #1 partition on that one.

The only problem I have with Ubuntu is the slow bootup due to this issue (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/103148), but once that's passed, I have no real issues. Compare this to the unmitigated pain in the ... that I had in Windows removing a "Vundo Trojan" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vundo). That's what led me to try Linux, and I drift farther away from Windows every day now.

rivalarrival
September 16th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Yo!

I've replaced a bunch of Windows machines with Ubuntu distros:
My primary Windows XP desktop
2 Win2K router/fileserver/webserver (One at home, one at my family office)
A toshiba Magnia SG20 network appliance (was running redhat, now on Ubuntu after it got corrupted)
2 Win2K workstations

I've also got wireless access points / routers (3 linksys, 1 motorola) running DD-WRT, and I'm looking into an edubuntu server and some thick/thin clients.

kaar3l
September 17th, 2007, 09:13 AM
I have about 90% switched to linux, hardware is working fine(except CB-712/4 card reader that i miss), all other things are good.
I have windows partition 10GB, it was 20, but the 10 i gave to kubuntu :D. I use it for games and rarely for office.

And in one old 450mhz celeron laptop i use only puppy, because it wakes from standby very fast. The wireless drivers in xp didn't work anymore, but in linux they work like charm. This is only a internet surfing computer, so i don't need no other features. :)

saxuntu
September 17th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I took Windows off my Desktop, riped the sticker off and did a little dance. Still have it on the Laptop cuz the old lady needs a security blanket.

captaink
September 18th, 2007, 08:20 AM
I first had my linux experience about 5 years ago. Back then, I used Mandrake 8.2. From the first moment I noticed the power of linux! But... I had problems with my hardware then. My scanner wouldn't work, not even my WinModem device (ooo, what a surprise :) ), so I didn't have internet too... I was desperate, so I moved to my windows box again, since I couldn't use it, besides experimenting.

After using only open-source software on my windows box for over 2 years, I was more confident. But I was never attracted, until someone asked me to download a linux distro for him. So, I downloaded openSuSE 10.2, and I tried it on my PC. My scanner worked, I didn't have internet again (but I would buy a router soon, so I didn't mind), and i was surprised of how good linux and OOS was going.
Meanwhile, windows vista was getting ready to take off, but when i saw the requirements of that heavy junk, I haven't thought it much! Inststantly I started trying some distros. After two months of trying and experimenting, I finally switched to ubuntu.!

Since I was using OSS on my windows box already, I couldn't say I miss something from windows. Although I smashed down nfsu2 at a time, I was never a gamer, so no problem!!

The stange thing is that native linux games attract me and I think I will play some for a while. I had to come to linux to start playing... :)

Switching is easy, as long as you have an open mind, you don't be afraid of being lost and junking your pc (what a stupid thought), and YOU WANT IT REALLY!
And remember, you may have problems but whenever you fix them you may feel confident for yourself!

johann_p
September 18th, 2007, 10:06 AM
I have been using Linux for years now, nearly exclusively.

However, many of the hardware components and devices I have do not work or do not work fully with Ubuntu.

90% of the functions of my Garmin GPS device are not supported under Linux/Ubuntu.

My analog TV Card sucks terribly under Ubuntu; most TV applications do not work at all and using it with MPlayer and manually setting frequencies shows a stuttering image / radio channel.

Netgear WLAN card does not work with WPA at all.

My OIympus camera cannot be remotely controlled via USB from Ubuntu.

My SonyEriccson walkman phone does not work reasonably via USB and I cannot mount the memory card via USB.

The IDE CD/DVD drive that came with my computer cannot be used to boot LiveCDs or even the Ubuntu installation CD to this day. No problem booting Windows. I gave up and bought an additional SATA drive.

I haven't bothered to buy a color ink printer yet because according to all sources I have consulted, there is not a single one that both works and produces the same quality as with windows drivers.

I am aware that ultimately this is probably the fault of the hardware manufacturers not providing decent software or drivers, but for me the net effect is that all these devices are not usable from Ubuntu, and that is what counts for me as a user.

I can really live and work without 3D desktops and fancy eyecandy -- but I cannot work without my computer supporting my hardware decently.

Ashrael
September 18th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I hate M$ w*nd*ws, so i would like to be M$ free but i can't: my scanner won't work in linux and my dvb-t doesn't work, but i've cut off w*nd*ws from the net completely...

soon, my friends i WILL be M$ FREE!

ingis
September 18th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I can't switch completely because I'm architect and need one particular program Autodesk Revit. But may be somehow we could change that situation - read my signature :)

anachreon_
September 18th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Kubuntu is my primary work / internet / email / productivity box but I still have a cursed XP partition for gaming.

It looks like Valve may be considering porting its games to Linux soon ... if that happens, Ubuntu may become a viable gaming platform in a few years and I will finally be able to excise Windows from my computer.

rvanderblom
September 18th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Almost completely switched, (i don't play a lot of games on the PC).

Sometimes i just fire up XP in vmware, because i've got some gadgets that still refuse to talk to linux...

Apart from that, no windows usage..

ITAndrew
September 18th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Unfortunately I have to use and support Winblows at work. On my personal PC all I use is Ubuntu. Open source is the schiznit!

essexboyracer
September 18th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I flirt with linux nearly every year, ubuntu has been the most convenient so far. I would really love a slax R-W version... to run off of a USB key... it would suit my ageing 7 year old laptop

h0ser81
September 18th, 2007, 10:19 PM
My household has been Windows free for several months now. I've even got the wife using Ubuntu only.

Coyote21
September 18th, 2007, 10:41 PM
I've still use XP for two reasons, games and my parents. If somehow I could convert my dad... (And find some free time, to develop too, in everything except C or C related, then I could do an alternative package manager for my ubuntu box, so that I could mixture source compiled software, debian/ubuntu packages, gentoo packages and yum rpm's, in one single system)

NightCrawler03X
September 18th, 2007, 11:38 PM
PCLinuxOS user, and proud.

Microsoft, the great satan, should not exist, and on my computer, it does not.

mivo
September 19th, 2007, 03:31 AM
I completely switched to Kubuntu/Linux.

I had wanted to do this for at least five years, but either it was games, my job making it an impossible option, or a piece of hardware that was not supported. But things changed. I play mostly on consoles these days, my employer's application now runs flawlessly under Wine, and all of my hardware is supported. :) So, after fifteen years with Windows, I switched to Linux completely. I wasn't going to get Vista, that is where I drew the line.

I ruled out a dual-boot solution because I think that would only have dragged a complete change in length, with "should I, should I not" frustrations.

Griff
September 19th, 2007, 05:03 AM
My PC is dual boot...though I'm not sure why. I logged in the other day to Windows just to see what it looked like. And then I promptly logged off. My laptop has been linux only since October of 2005 (Breezy). Linux and Ubuntu are just...great.

salvador dali
September 19th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Quake said: I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

I've erased Windows completely. I spend all my gaming time on Nexuiz 2.3. :guitar:

Vadi
September 19th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I'm not much of a gamer, so tremulous and irrlamb do it for me, heh.

And my 10 year old sis loves TuxCart :D

svtfmook
September 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM
i am about 98% switched over to linux. the only issue i have is scanning/printing, only because i have a lexmark print/scan. and that's being replaced soon. the only other thing i hold windows for is gaming, but i rarely game anymore.

Vadi
September 19th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Printing is actually going to get really easy in gutsy (click (http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/tribe5)), no idea about scanning though. Never tried my scanner yet, don't have any use for it.

Club17
September 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Well, after 1 month and tasted various OS of linux like ubuntu, kubuntu, sabayon, u-ultimate, dreamlinux, etc., I'm 100% linux user (using at this moment LinuxMint w/Gnome) + crossover for win apps. But still have XP for other programs in other PC.

90% complety switched :)

ThomasMarkas
September 22nd, 2007, 03:20 PM
I have switched 7 of the 8 home PC which the five of us have to Ubuntu.

The last one runs XP to handle eBay TurboLister. eBay do not seem to be offering a Linux alternative. Will need to see if I can get this running under Linux.

Vandread
September 22nd, 2007, 04:10 PM
I honestly might make the switch. Everything runs much more fluidly on ubuntu. Videos play without any hiccups, streaming HD content plays without a hitch, something looks fresher about my desktop. I think everything looks cleaner, smoother.

Best program Ive used so far that windows doesnt have...AMAROK!
This is the music player I have wanted since the days I had a diamond rio. Its fast, convenient, practical, smooth.

Ive been looking at other distros as well and saw opensuse. I burned the live CD for my wife and put it on her laptop and she loves it. She wants me to go ahead and install it permanently on her laptop.

If I can find a good newsreader program for ubuntu I will have no need for windows.

Vadi
September 22nd, 2007, 04:17 PM
What about Google Reader?

Baby Boy
September 22nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
Ubuntu is now my main OS, but I still use Windows for old RPG games that don't work in Wine (BG1/2, ID1/2, PS:T).

Sslaxx
September 22nd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Ubuntu is now my main OS, but I still use Windows for old RPG games that don't work in Wine (BG1/2, ID1/2, PS:T).
I so want to get my hands upon the old Black Isle RPGs. GemRB is looking promising for playing at least some of those under Linux at some point, though!

Taters
September 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
I just switched today... This morning actually.
Linux is so fast compared to windows... on XP it approximately took 3 minutes to open "My Computer"

I'm just happy Windows isn't on my machine; bad programming attracts more bad programming.

Sslaxx
September 22nd, 2007, 07:03 PM
Taters, I've seen Vista's 'performance'... shudders If you think XP is bad, Vista on 2GB RAM... ugh.

dotCOM41799
September 22nd, 2007, 07:11 PM
I've just recently installed Ubuntu... I had used Red Hat and Fedora a little bit but never for an extended period of time.

I actually have 2 PC's, one with Ubuntu, one with Windows XP ... the Ubuntu is now my MAIN pc... I have yet to try some of the games I play, on Ubuntu, but I will soon definitely start to try...

I've always, ALWAYS, wanted to go Windows-free because I'm sick of all the stupid **** that happens with Windows... sure... I know stupid **** can happen in Ubuntu... but.... there's no comparison lol

Now I just need to continue learning more & more about Ubuntu.. and linux in general .. and I'll be all set. Within a couple months, I'll have forgotten I used to be so "dependent" on Windows!

kevinatkins
September 22nd, 2007, 07:19 PM
I haven't used windows in the home for maybe 4 years - we've got an assortment of machines, all running either Ubuntu or Debian.

Unfortunately, I still have to deal with windows in my work - I'm a sys admin for a small company. And every time something stupid goes wrong with windows, or I have to tangle with the hackneyed way that windows does some things (mapping network drives; changing drive letter assignments; etc, etc..), it reinforces my view that Linux is so much better.

malachias
September 22nd, 2007, 07:46 PM
i've dabbled in linux since the days when RedHat 7.4 was hot. I got it from my cousin. Always dual-booted and primarily used Windows though, until fairly recently when my vista stopped booting (taking care not to output any error messages) and I just couldn't be arsed to try to fix it. So about two months ago I wiped the partition and created my first linux installation on a partition of more than about 10 gigs. I'm ubuntu all the way and the only times I look back is when there's some old game that i loved that won't run on wine.

Sockerdrickan
September 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM
I only use Linux ( I'm one year old ) :)

malachias
September 23rd, 2007, 07:31 AM
i've dabbled in linux since the days when RedHat 7.4 was hot. I got it from my cousin. Always dual-booted and primarily used Windows though, until fairly recently when my vista stopped booting (taking care not to output any error messages) and I just couldn't be arsed to try to fix it. So about two months ago I wiped the partition and created my first linux installation on a partition of more than about 10 gigs. I'm ubuntu all the way and the only times I look back is when there's some old game that i loved that won't run on wine.

I do believe I mean RedHat 7.1 ;) "Seawolf" or something...

nerojrnde
September 23rd, 2007, 08:26 AM
me!

douguk47
September 23rd, 2007, 09:48 AM
I have managed to make a complete switch in 24 hours. Being an IT Manager I can safely say that Windows is rubbish compared to Ubuntu. I have an Xbox 360 to play games so Job done. No more Mr gates ruining my weekend. Oh yeah I run Windows at work :lolflag:

troykm
September 23rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
well i am not an IT pro, nor do i work in any kind of computer industry (im a tram driver) i did not grow up with pc's. i got my first pc 12 years ago when i was (win95, vomit!) since then i have used win98, xp, mac os x (very good) and vista (horrendous uncontrolled vomiting occurring) most recent. i installed ubuntu after getting sick of the never ending updates and patches on windows, i have had to reinstall vista 3 times in 2 weeks due to crashes of unknown cause. i spent most of my time on the pc just making sure it worked lol. ubuntu has saved my pc from a spot on the concrete driveway out back!:lolflag:

i have been using ubuntu for 3 months now and can not imagine going back to windows! my point being, with my limited knowledge of pc's if i can switch, anyone can switch.

its interesting reading these posts that people say they miss playing a game or a certain programme, not available on linux, no one is saying that they miss windows!;) interesting.

the only thing i wish i could do is learn how to install things from the command line (like google earth) but im sure that will come with time

elvis
September 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
no video editor that handles titles and audio track overlays that i have gotten to work yet. i tried kino, its really great, but no titles or audio overlay. i am thinking of creating cinerellia deb packages when i get that to work, just have not had the time.

Jahshaka may also be of interest to you:
http://www.jahshaka.org/

anandanbu
September 23rd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Though i haven't completely switched to Linux, i have ditched windoze and i use only Ubuntu and free software for my day-today activities :)

Skorzen
September 23rd, 2007, 06:58 PM
As long I'm not a gamer anymore (got sick of games!), I just don't need Windows. Ubuntu has everything I want... and more!

bigbrovar
September 23rd, 2007, 08:07 PM
i have never heard of the word ubuntu untill 3 months back when a friend introduced it to me..while no one ca be 100% free of windows ( u still come across it at work,school etc) personally i am completely free from it and ubtuntu is my full os i have got everything and i do everything on it..

benhagerty
September 23rd, 2007, 08:29 PM
I have, Considering a mac for next computer and dual booting

TeraDyne
September 23rd, 2007, 08:35 PM
I use nothing but Linux on my desktop (a Dellbuntu), but I keep Windows on my laptop for my TI-84+ and so that I can play "Maple Story" and "Star Trek: Birth of the Federation".

s-lime
September 23rd, 2007, 08:47 PM
I'm 100% linux.

KaYnemO
September 24th, 2007, 02:09 AM
I have four computers including a notebook I am writing this message from. They all run various distros and NOT a SINGLE windows, even on dual boot. When I need to prooftest or use some soft that is not gonna work on Linux I use vmware player. It's been like this for three years. Never been happier :)

ikey_d
September 24th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Over the years I have tried many distros looking for the right one... I have been dual booting since Red Hat 6 or 7.. tried mandrake all the way to mandriva, suse up to 10.2, fedora up to 6... I even tried a few versions of knoppix... I finally installed ubuntu and since then have not seen windows on my laptop :D... my wife's pc has vista and she has the printer which is shared on the network... I access the printer with no probs and she gets my shared files and vice versa... I would have to say Ubuntu is the best I have seen of distros and I have no plans of changing it... currently runnning Feisty... cheers

benthegreat
September 24th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I have used ubuntu completely since about 1 year ago, but I'm going to (illegally) get vista FOR GAMING ONLY! I can't stand windows for more than about 1 hour!

doffe
September 24th, 2007, 06:19 PM
i am 100% linux for 2days ago(made a total cut of windows) i got everything working(and most working better) only thing that is diffrent is that i have no mouse cursor in daoc(mmorpg game) but that is under investigation and i am pretty sure i get it working in the end.

I am not really new to linux, but been 100%windows in mabye 2-3 years, before that i had gentoo on my boxes and clarkconnect on my homeserver, What took me back to windows was daoc becose it wasent working in linux at that time(and i cba to dual boot)

I installed 7.10 and i most say i am falling in love !

bulldog060
September 24th, 2007, 07:01 PM
... I will never be 100% Linux, but I will always be 0% winblows, thats good enough for me :)

Currently my usage breaks out to roughly:

60% Linux - Home and Work ( Programming, Torrents, Servers )
20% Mac OS X - Home ( Graphics / Media, General Browsing )
10% Sun Solaris - Home ( Programming, Compatibility) and Work ( Servers )
10% FreeBSD - Home ( Programming, Compatibility )

I love Linux but everything looks better on a Mac so unless Apple starts pushing out a Desktop Environment instead of slapping BSD in the face with their OS I will always have a Mac for media ... which means I could never do better then 80-20.

~ron

~LoKe
September 24th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Strictly Linux.

jalanbuntu
September 24th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I'm using Ubuntu Only (Natively)
But running Windows (Virtually), just to run the Adobes family (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc) :lol: