PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

siorai
December 1st, 2005, 06:45 PM
Yeah I'd like to know what that is, too. I'd also like to run Win apps from within ubuntu. Wine works pretty good, but the widgets get a little screwy.
Probably not VMWare. Looks like VNC or remote desktop into an actual windows box, but that ubuntu-style menu bar at the top of the window (w/ Player, CD-ROM, Floppy, etc) and the ubuntu logo in the MyComputer are throwing me off.

Maybe it's just a photoshop (er, GIMP) and we've both been had ;)

It's definitely VMWare Player. I've got it isntalled and working, but I'm jsut having a disc issue with installing XP in it. Although I might have that figured out so I'm just waiting for this day at work to be over to see if this other disc actually works. If it does, say goodbye to the dual-booting nonsense. :D

graabein
December 1st, 2005, 07:39 PM
After using Ubuntu GNU/Linux for more than six months I realize I will never go back to Windows. I dual boot for the time being to play a few games (Battlefield 2 and Civilization 4) but I play less and less and I figure I'll wipe the partition within a year-- and I'm looking forward to it! I know I'm never going to get Vista that's for sure. :cool:

BobSongs
December 2nd, 2005, 02:06 AM
Reasons why I dual-boot

Paid-for software to be run in its own environment.
Keeping up with the Windows experience to help my customers
Not everything functionning yet in Linux

Point #1. I've got a $350.00 piece of lyrics management software (plus Homeworld, Homeworld Cataclysm and Homeworld 2). I don't want to mess with Wine in order to get it running. Sorry. I'm a user who wants to keep "tinkering" to a minimum and "productivity" to a maximum. When I need to get it done, it's gotta get done. I can't spend weeks searching newsgroups on how to get an obscure piece of paid-for software to work either in Wine or a Virtual Machine. Not happening. Sure: there are similar free packages that work in Linux. I'm not arguing this point. It's the 3,000 lyrics & chords in that package that make it worth while at the moment.

Point #2. Well, pretty obvious. Same would be true if I were a Mac O/S technician, right?

Point #3. Until I can get Apache working in Linux as sweetly as it does in XP, I've got to continue hosting my site. I flip to Linux and tinker until frustrated. Then I head back to XP put the site online. :(

There are chunks of software that are only available in Windows. Things like the bundled software that comes with a printer, or in my case, a multi-function device. I am glad I've got the printer working. It's a Brother MFC 210C. (I'm going to post a "how-to" for this printer soon.) And the Windows software offers an impressive OCR package. At present I'm not even sure I can get the scanner to work, much less find an adequate OCR Linux package.

My attitude is this: The PC is a tool and the O/S is what makes that tool work. I'm not a Linux or Windows zealot. I just want it to work. Some things work well here, others there.

lucidite
December 2nd, 2005, 04:58 AM
A friend built my current computer & at my request only installed Linux - I knew that if I did a dual-boot I would never learn to use Linux. We tried Mandrake but for some reason didn't recognize my network card. We then tried Ubuntu & I've been running only Ubuntu ever since.

Soilman
December 2nd, 2005, 11:59 PM
Hummm. I never completly switched to Windows. Started on TI Basic -> MacIntosh -> MacIntosh + DOS -> MacIntosh + DOS + Windows -> MacIntosh + DOS + Windows + Linux.
Having stated that, LINUX is becoming a larger fraction of the aggragate.

T31
December 3rd, 2005, 09:38 PM
Well, 2 months ago I bought a macmini I did play with Mac OS X 2 days and then Installed ubuntu since that moment I havent gone back to it, and from my i386 experience about a year in linux I started windows just to play games, now I only use free soft ;) (free because freedom not because gratis)

just one last thing, Im leaving quite far away from my birthplace so to keep in touch I bought a computer x86 to my mom so guess what I installed her...

clues: no windows ;) and till the moment no complain at all and no virus,spyware,blablabla

HokeyFry
December 4th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Even though I still have WindowsXP on most computers my family has, they ALL have ubuntu linux on it and I NEVER use windows.In fact, on my computer, I only have ubuntu.

Kelpie
December 4th, 2005, 08:19 AM
i may completely switch to Linux once i become more familiar with it, though since i am a gamer aswell i will have to have windows for atleast the games i play, if it wasnt for that id totally ditch the idea of windows all together

Gray.
December 4th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Being an avid gamer I'm eagerly awaiting the Playstation3 which will give me my gaming fix. That way I can give Ubuntu the full HDD it so rightly deserves. Doesn't hurt that the PS3 will have a version of Linux on it either. :P

andrewsawyer
December 5th, 2005, 08:10 AM
I have been a proud 'Ubuntu only' home user for many months now, starting out just after the release of Hoary, and I upgraded to Breezy just after it was released.

I've converted my girlfriend over to Ubuntu too, and she loves it! We have two laptops and a desktop sitting uder the TV in the living room, all on Breezy.

However... I am buying a new system (just waiting for all the bits to get delivered), and I'm going to have to run Windows on it. Don't worry - not quite as bad as it sounds - It'll be running Breezy as the main system, and it won't even be a dual boot - I will be running Windows inside VMWare.

My reasons are simple. There are things I need that Ubuntu just doesn't offer me. I live in Australia, and the rest of my family (all Windows users unfortunately) live in the UK. I have a video camera with USB straming capability, and I would like to use it to keep in touch with them. I've yet to find a program that will let me do this in Ubuntu - please tell me if I'm wrong. Gaim is _going to_ be merging gaim_vv and adding support for MSN video chat, but as yet there has been no word on it, and last time I used gaim_vv it was so unstable as to not be worth the effort.

Secondly, I need eBay Turbo Lister. Yes - I know, of all the things. Have Windows on my system so that I can run a free program. But thats the way it is. It's a dodgy program at best (you can't even run it unless you are logged in as Administrator), so there is no chance of it working in Crossover Office. Unfortunately I don't see any way around this. I'm working for a guy who does a lot of eBay dealings, and I've eventually managed to get him to let me work from home, so I will need to put it on my system if I want to save on the fuel costs.

Again, if there is a way around it that anyone knows of I would appreciate it.

So basically, for two *free* programs, I am having to install an OS that I swore I would never have in the house again :-(

Koobi
December 5th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Ubuntu 5.10 is all i have installed.

i have some USB issues that i'm too lazy to fix so my web cam wont work, also, i dont have an IM with which i can voice chat...but i suppose skype will have to do...
i cant play games but im not much of a gamer anyway. i could use Wine but my PC is way too old and slow for that.

i only use the PC to program or chat to friends abroad and maybe some movies.

so i choose ubuntu linux: stability and consistency (linux) over all the other fancy things (webcam, voice chat, games, etc) anyday...plus everything is so convenient now...you can do so many things via terminal....plus using the terminal gives me an ego boost...must be the geek in me :p

:edit:
i also forgot to mention that i've been using Ubuntu only for the last 14 months

thenoobest1
December 5th, 2005, 08:50 AM
there are only things to keep me from switching over:

There is no software for video and/or audio editing in ubuntu. (Adobe Premier for video and Nuendo or Cakewalk Pro 9 for audio )

There is no equal to Dreamweaver, i dont know html well enough not to use it.

Game support... at least til i can get my hands on an Xbox 360

If it wasnt for that little bit of software i would LOVE to delete microshaft winblows XP.

if anybody knows of a replacement for any of those please let me know:razz:

LoclynGrey
December 5th, 2005, 09:10 AM
I would love to say I have completely switched to Linux dropping microsuck windoes for good but no i need to do video editing in a windows environment which I do with pinnacle studio. (I know there are some Linux packages but they don't have all the bells and whistles that i require)
I'm considering running vmware and seeing if pinnacle studio would work in a windows vmware environment inside Linux hmmmm. I'll let you know if I have any success.
I use Ubuntu for my main "everything else" system, windows for video editing system only and fedora 3 for a web server.

Koobi
December 5th, 2005, 09:24 AM
there are only things to keep me from switching over:

There is no software for video and/or audio editing in ubuntu. (Adobe Premier for video and Nuendo or Cakewalk Pro 9 for audio )

There is no equal to Dreamweaver, i dont know html well enough not to use it.

Game support... at least til i can get my hands on an Xbox 360

If it wasnt for that little bit of software i would LOVE to delete microshaft winblows XP.

if anybody knows of a replacement for any of those please let me know:razz:

What about these?

How to install Audio Editor (Audacity)? (http://ubuntuguide.org/#audacity)
How to install Video Editor (Kino)? (http://ubuntuguide.org/#kino)
How to install Web Authoring System (Nvu)? (http://ubuntuguide.org/#nvu)
How to install Windows Games (Cedega)? (http://ubuntuguide.org/#cedega)

thenoobest1
December 5th, 2005, 10:25 AM
lol, guess i dont have an excuse any more... ill have to check all those out in the morning

rocketdog
December 5th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
I just loaded Ubuntu on my laptop which is my primary computer (forced learning) But I still have XP on my desk top (only untill I learn this system)
The little I've used Ubuntu so far, I foresee loosing Windows completly (the sooner the better):!:

ad noiseam
December 5th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I am close to switching to Ubuntu, but I miss two things:

-a Filemaker replacement "for human beings". I am not doing anything fancy with Filemaker on Windows, but I still really need it. I've tried Glom (which is very, very unstable) and Knoda (but I can't take the time to learn to program). This is my major problem with Linux.

-CMYK support for the Gimp. I guess this will come, one day.

As long as these two points are not solved, I can't switch at all, not even dual boot. It would be a huge loss of time and productivity for me if I had to boot Windows every time I need to check my filemaker records. :-(

esperantisto
December 5th, 2005, 04:56 PM
I've tried out Linux several times, and Ubuntu is not my first distro. Unfortunately, I still can see no possibility to completely switch to Linux because Linux is poor in terms of software for translations.

First, electronic dictionaries for Linux are quite primitive (nothing comparable with Lingvo).

Second, there is actually no choice of CAT tools (computer-aided translation).

Third, often, ability to produce MS Word documents is crucial — for that you need to have MS Word, and no other program is good. The best is OpenOffice.org — but even it is not perfect.

siorai
December 5th, 2005, 07:56 PM
I'm now as far from Windows as i'm going to be able to get: no dual boot, but running XP in VMWare. Until there's an easy way in Linux to encode video for my PSP, I'm stuck with needing XP in some form or another. At least I'm ditching the dual boot and will be running Ubuntu 100% of the time. :D

nwlinkvxd
December 6th, 2005, 08:20 PM
I've been functionally familiar with linux for awhile but unfortunately I'm stuck with Windows as a secondary OS because of classes in college (Windows Programming...yuck) and I need a real copy of Windows to run as a test bed for software I write for work (as all my clients use Windows....again, yuck).

My experiences with Ubuntu so far have broadly advanced my linux/unix knowledge, but I know I still have a long way to go. I'm loving the whole process.

Plus, Windows doesn't come with Tetravex pre-installed. :D

Bandit
December 6th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I have only seldom used Win Xtra Patheric since it arrived.
I have only used it to play games every now and then, then I delete XP.
My primary OS has been Linux since 1999.
Cheers,
Joey

djheadley
December 7th, 2005, 12:12 AM
I have only been using Ubuntu for a couple of months but I plan to use only it for my personal stuff. At the church where I help with multimedia they use WinXP so I need to be able to switch back and forth. I'm keeping my eye on ReactOS to see just how close they get to XP so that I won't have to install XP at home. I LOVE Ubuntu but maybe I can get the church staff to go to ReactOS. I think Ubuntu would be too difficult to use with all the volunteers coming and going.

Kelpie
December 7th, 2005, 01:31 AM
i have only been using Ubuntu for... more or less then an hour but i decided before hand i was just gunna take the training wheels off and learn how to get games i like and things i like working on Ubuntu so yes ive completely switched! ;) :D

kinghajj
December 7th, 2005, 07:28 AM
In a word: applications.

There are applications that are windows-only that I sometimes need to run. Like photoshop (I don't like GIMP) or indesign (haven't seen anything come close to it yet).

But I use Ubuntu as often as I can.

gosh
December 7th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Not yet, but I'm planning to.
I had to reinstall XP on my kids PC. What a hassle:confused:
When I get their games running on Ubuntu, I will switch completely.

Howitzer
December 7th, 2005, 07:39 PM
I have a dualboot setup. Windows has the 60gig harddisk and Ubuntu has the 20gig harddisk.

Perfect.

nevin
December 7th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I haven't booted Windows for four months.

hhaha, sounds like a support group thing to say. "I've stayed off windows for four months," as the kid scratches at his arm and his eyes hold bloodshot.

i was ubuntu-only for about a month or two, but i wanted to play some of the games i owned and so i put windows back on. but i really only use it to play games. ubuntu is my main os though.

nevin.

christooss
December 7th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I think it will be a problem when we will have to say

Hello Im christooss I am UA (Ubunu Adict) I haven't booted ubuntu for four months :)

stefragre
December 7th, 2005, 11:16 PM
I have, though still a 'noob'

gRiMgRaVy014
December 7th, 2005, 11:46 PM
I plan on switching to linux completly once I know my way around the OS well.

lleb
December 8th, 2005, 03:56 AM

i too am a gamer at heart, but with the power that is Cedega I am able to play my windows games in linux and in some cases get BETTER performance under Linux then i did under windows.

i started dabbling with Linux about 2.5 - 3 years ago. Earlier this year when my win2k server up and ate about 3/4 of the data over 3 hard drives with its automatic scan disk and deleting things, then writting old out of date data over them i bought an iMAC so i can continue using QuickBooks native to run my business and from that point on I have been 100% *nix at both my home and office.

I have been 100% linux at the house for over a year now.

I am very happy to be free from the ills that are MS Windows.

sitara
December 9th, 2005, 05:13 AM
I have been clean for about two years. I have tried Suse, Xandros, Linspire and now Kubuntu. Each one was better than the previous one. I can do everything I want to do with a computer with Kubuntu.

My teenage daughters were a bit reluctant to convert but since Gaim supports MSN chat flawlessly they're cured.

My 8 year old son misses some of his old games, but he's getting into some new Linux compatible ones.

My wife still has cravings for Windows, but it's nothing that a few more viruses on her notebook won't cure.

mondi0924
December 9th, 2005, 06:17 AM
I can't completely swith to linux. I need to play games to keep my mind sane. ](*,) I can't stand windows , it makes my job a living hell. :lol:

CodyJarrett
December 10th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I switched recently. I used to use Red Hat and then Fedora Core some while ago but was "forced" to go back to Windows as a lot of my hardware wasn't supported...

Now I am back with a vengeance, and I love Ubuntu.

I'm a web designer. Unfortunately I depend on Flash, and I hate that there's not a native Linux version of it yet, but Crossover at least lets me run the older version of Flash MX with only few quirks - a bit heavy on ressources, though...

Everything else works like a charm

Rackerz
December 10th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Im not completely switched. But im getting there, with Cedega getting better every month or so im getting close. It supports nearly all my games and all the other Win apps i need work a charm with Crossover Office.

granny4linux
December 10th, 2005, 08:55 PM
I've been ******* free for over a year. My experience with Linux has been a challenge at times, that's what I am always looking for; but mostly it's been a pure pleasure. I first dual-booted WinXp and Mandrake about 18 months ago; then added Fedora and currently just use Ubuntu Breezy. I'd like to say that the Linux community is awesome; I've always been able to solve my issues just searching here or google.linux. Thanks to all of you pros who are willing to share your knowledge with us newbs. One of these days soon, I hope to add my 2 cents worth to help solve a problem.

infoburner
December 19th, 2005, 05:43 PM
I have used windows only once in the past ten years. I put ******* 2000 on my laptop to try it out before making my switch from Fedora to ubuntu.

It was the worst 30 seconds or so that any of my computers have seen yet. I am so sorry laptop, for putting you through that.

afhp
December 19th, 2005, 06:36 PM
I started dabbling in Linux several years back. Actually came across an old hard disk of mine which had some old Red Hat still on it... (5.1 ? full system with XWindow under 300 MB :P )

For the longest time I quadruple-booted between Windows (98, then 2000), OS/2 Warp (3 and 4), BeOS (from R3 to R5) and several incarnations of Linux. I did most of my serious computing in OS/2 back then, watched BeOS rise... and fall, otherwise it would have been my new home. I still keep an eye on what happens with Haiku, just in case ;)

Sometime in 2001 I tried installing some software which completely borked my Win2K setup... which I already hadn't booted into for something like 4 months. I decided to recover the hard disk space instead of reinstalling, and gave it over to the Mandrake I was using then.

I was still not happy with Mandrake though -- urpmi was fine, the control panels well thought out, but it didn't quite cut it. Got Debian 3.0.0 CDs from a magazine, installed it and I was hooked for good. I stayed with Debian (sid mostly) until hearing good stuff about Ubuntu and coming across Kubuntu Hoary (I had given up on Gnome ages ago, it's just not for me).

At long last, pre-packaged debian which doesn't force you to choose between stable and recent... (not that I really had any major problem with sid, although it came close a couple of times).

So I'll stick with Kubuntu now. Debian goodness, reliability and ease of maintenance, with frequent well-integrated updates. This, for me, is what sets Ubuntu apart -- along with the community here, which is a lot more welcoming than average.

Which reminds me, I've got an entire hard disk sitting there doing nothing. Time to give Dapper Drake a twirl.

runlevel0
December 19th, 2005, 06:40 PM
I began using Linux in 1996, with the 1.1 Release of Debian (I can't remember the name of this version).

I used dual boot for some time with win95/98 and later Win2k. But I definitively switched to Linux in 1999 (Debian Sid). I kept this Sid until 2003 dual booting with SUSE, Mandrake and Fedora Core 1 and 2 .

I have now 4 boxes at home: Pentium 160 with Sid (on the dry dock), a PIII Coppermine with Gentoo (my wife's computer) a laptop with Mandriva 2006 and my 'big' box with Kubuntu Breezy 5.10...

The only other operating system I use is PalmOS on my Zire 21.

skeezer65134
December 20th, 2005, 08:26 AM
I played with linux a little at the end of my freshman year in college (2000) when a friend of mine convinced me to run RedHat on my box. It was pretty cool, and I learned a little but I didn't keep to it. Over the summer I ended up botching the install and went back to Windows since he wasn't around to help me with reinstalling RedHat.

During my sophmore year I tried playing around with Mandrake a little but never really took to it. I never liked KDE or Gnome all that much and favored using WindowMaker and later Blackbox/Openbox. My roomie at the time picked up a copy of Suse and ran that for a while, but we were always coming back to Windows for one reason or another.

During my junior year my new roomie was an avid Linux fan and later become an even more avid BSD fan. Between the friend that originally showed me Linux and my roomie, I learned a lot and ran RedHat Linux primarily, dual-booting to Windows as I was required to for school.

My Senior year I discovered Gentoo and I couldn't get enough. It was awesome, and I loved the stripped down and speedy use of Openbox. I learned a ton about how Linux and various parts of my computer work and to this day I still recommend Gentoo to anyone that wants to learn what they are doing in Linux.

More recently, I had fallen back into a Windows funk driven primarily by a need to "back up" DVDs. The need is still there but it is taken care of my media pc. I have a desktop, a laptop, and my media pc now. I also have a secondary desktop with will make it's way into my car once I get a nice 7" LCD screen to put in the visor. The desktop runs only Linux and the laptop has 2k on a second partition (which I have yet to use since installing it). The media pc and the secondary desktop are the only machines running Windows. I have also opted to spend less time installing and more time using my Linux boxen and I have grown to enjoy using both KDE and Gnome. The laptop run Ubuntu, while the desktop runs Kubuntu (mostly because I wanted to mix it up and get used to using both).

The media pc runs Windows for 2 reasons...... I use it to play games (including emulation, where I feel Linux is very lacking), watch movies (DVD and avi/divx/xvid/etc) and record TV. I know MythTV woudl probably work well, but I broke down and bought a copy of BeyondTV in the past and I have never looked back. One button commercial skipping was totally worth the $70 or whatever I paid!

So that's my story. If game system emulation were better on the Linux front and I could ween myself off the sweet candy that is BeyondTV that machine would be running Linux too (and be rebooted far less often I'm sure). As a rule, I try to use Linux more than anything else if I have any say in teh matter.

nalmeth
December 20th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I am currently linuxclusive so to speak

though I am not against closed-source I don't like it, and like spending time rather than money learning linux :D

always happy to no longer be Windependant :p

dyous87
December 22nd, 2005, 06:10 AM
I decided to install mandrake linux on an old computer i had about 5 months ago becuase i was sick of windows 98. Then I discovered ubuntu and now use it as my only os. I no longer require windows for anything at all. I'm actually in the market for a new notebook soon and as soon as i get it i will of course be installing breezy on it lol ;)

....i cannot wait to see how unequivically awesome dapper drake will be!!!

siorai
December 22nd, 2005, 06:34 AM
I just removed my drive that had XP on it. No more dual boot! Ubuntu all the way. :D

Although I must confess that I do have XP running in VMWare Player solely to run the programs I need to convert videos for my PSP. I searched all over the place and couldn't find any other way of doing it. Well, there was one way I found, but it involved actually coding a frontend for a program and that's just a wee bit out of my league.

At least I have ditched the dual boot and will only be using Ubuntu for my OS.

Xlylith
December 22nd, 2005, 07:32 AM
I've been windows-free(TM) for about 6 months, although not MS-Free yet. Especially since I got locked in Visio, thanks to MS-non-open-format:rolleyes: . WINE rules :D

I used to be a heavy windows gamer, but since my son was born, I haven't played "serious" PC Games anymore. So, I've got nothing to lose.

pito
December 22nd, 2005, 08:22 AM
I have been using linux since 2003 first Fedora. A moth ago I switched over to Ubuntu. I do not play games any longer so no need for MS Windows.
I will stay with Linux. It is very mature now.

SpEcIeS
December 22nd, 2005, 01:17 PM
Linux has really come a long way in the last three years. The snowball effect. :D

Watch out M$ the ball is on the roll. :razz:

Luuraja
December 22nd, 2005, 03:46 PM
Main thing that keeps Windows in my computer is productivity.

1. Vector graphics software like Adobe Illustrator or CorelDRAW.
I've tried OOo Draw - don't like it, this is for kids. Much more serious is Inkscape, but it has long way to go. Scribus has some interesting capabilities, but it's not my cup of coffee.
I have a huge archive of graphic designs which I don't want to loose.
Other side - bitmap graphics - is presented very well. I like Gimp. BTW it replaced cracked Adobe Photoshop in my Windows.

2. Application for web authoring. I haven't found anything which has capabilities like Macromedia Dreamweaver has. Nvu has some of them but not all I need.

Everything else - ease of use, web browsing, ftp, messaging, security and so - these aspects I like in Linux much more than in Win. And if problems described above are solved for me - it's possible to run these apps using wine or similar emulator, am I right? - there's no question. Linux.

Some words why I like Ubuntu. I've tried several Linux distros since 2002 - Redhat 8 and 9, Suse 9, Fedora. Each experience gave me something to learn and when I've found Ubuntu it was love from first sight. Why?
- 1 CD to download and to burn
- Easy install. This almost-non-graphical install has one very good side - only one important setup per page.
- Excellent documentation. Unofficial Ubuntu Starter Guide for 5.04 amazed me, only simple instructions how to do this and this. This line is continued officially
- Excellent community
- Last but not least - Ubuntu Manifesto and slogan "Linux for humans". This one attracted me to try Ubuntu, when chose my next distro and attracts me now and forever.
- Edubuntu. I am teacher in high school teaching IT-stuff (and art history) and with our IT-leader we decided that enough for paying Win2003Server and antivirus software and other software. We decided to spend all the money to hardware (AMD Opteron server) and thin clients. Ar first we tried K12LTSP but when this Fedora-cored distro failed to do simplest (keyboard layout for clients in Estonian) we switched to Edubuntu. Seems like runs smoothly without any trouble now.

So, I have a dream, that one day I can move all of my archive to Linux partitions and continue my creative life doing same things much easier and safer than before.

encompass
December 22nd, 2005, 05:56 PM
I use have used linux only for about 4 years now. I can't see myself moving back just because of the freedom I have of working with something from the root up. And with Ubuntu I can do that when I want. Not when I have to... ;P
I would like windows for a few things, but dread the fact that I have to drop so much money into something I will not have power over. For people that want things they buy at the store just to work... linux is not they way. It would have to be windows. But I live off of nothing for money and I have nothing but computer I have recieve from people that want to throw there "slow" computer way. Linux is my way, but cause I see no other alternative. Hey one a better choice comes along... count me in!

erikpiper
December 22nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Flight Simulator 2004 is thew only reason I am installing windows.

It is also my gaming console as I have NO video games whatsoever. So Windows is my playstation :P

denisesballs
December 22nd, 2005, 08:06 PM
Me.

Natsuki
December 23rd, 2005, 01:53 PM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately i have to share this pc with my brother. >.<

shadowman
December 24th, 2005, 03:52 PM
I've been 99.9% linux for years. Started with mandrake 8, got disgusted with them for reasons I don't remember, two or three years ago went Suse (sles 9 and pro 9.3 & 10) because of work related things, (emc san, moving nt4 domain to samba + ldap), and moved to ubuntu at home a few months ago because suse couldn't seem to get their act together on a notebook with ipw2200 wireless driver, usb, and powermanagement. Had a brief stint with redhat somewhere in there but didn't care for them.

I'm not a gamer but my son is. I tried several ways to get his games to run under linux from crossover to vmware but no luck. He loves linux but since most of his computer time is gaming he is in windows but with a dual boot. Maybe when the new vt processor comes out I can use xen and be happy.

I'm not a heavy multimedia user but since Christmas is here I want to hook up my dv camera so I am looking into how to do that. I'm fairly certain it won't be a problem from what I've read.

My other current projects (for home) is an mp3 streaming server integrated into a website built with a content management system to be used with family and friends. I've identified zina as the mp3 server I want to use but haven't decided which cms. Prior to doing this though I want to convert my server (sles 9 sp2) to ubuntu server. Maybe I'll get that done over the holidays.

In summary of this epic tale, everything I need to do business wise from accounting to office suites, from websites to network infrastructure, from mp3 to photo album I can do faster, as easy, more securely and at considerably less cost than I can in Windows.

Why ubuntu over the other distros?
1. Synaptic package manager. I only have to keep track of my one original cd for installing extra programs (and I've installed many and only had to use the cd once) since the repositories are on the internet. The only way to accomplish this with suse is to do a network install.

2. Information and documentation. Compared to the novell suse site the documentation and information here is easy to find and is more open and forthright.

3. Available packages and applications. As I mentioned above I have installed many packages. Since I have suse 9.3 and 10 at work I have a tendency to check both ubuntu and suse package managers to see if they have already setup the packages for the distribution. ubuntu wins this hands down. a BIG kudos to the developers for that.

4. Stability. Unders suse's current program new desktop versions are what I consider unstable even the so called stable versions. They are constantly in a state of flux as novell is looking to these as the bases for the next SLES release. IMHO red hat's fedora is the same way. I have heard them described as experimental. Ubuntu on the other hand will release every 6 months with a guranteed stable\update base for 18 months for that release. Ubuntu is also upgradeable (is that a word?) from release to release.

Ok that's probably way more than what you wanted but I got started writing and that's what came out.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to be pointing the finger at only suse-they are just the one that I am most familiar with. Other distributions may be the same, different or the same but different as either ubuntu or suse. These are strictly my opinions and observations from using both distributions.

Regards to all and Merry Christmas!
John Little
Network Engineer
Hendricks Regional Health
password: **********

alinuxfan
December 24th, 2005, 05:03 PM
I am now windows free.; however, i cannot get my wife to switch. she likes windows even though all she does is play pogo (which I still can't get to work on my mandrake system) and chat with MSN
I started using mandrake in 2002 for ip masq and gamed on my winME box...
Now I am married and have children so i don't game much, so when we got rid of our 3rd computer, i gave my wife the winME one and I am now using mandrake 10.1 until i get my ubuntu cd in the mail. (I don't have a cdr atm)
A lot has changed in open source since my 2002 debut. In fact I hardly used linux other than to work with the ip masq until a couple months ago. Now I hope i never have to go back.
Waiting on a geforce card for xmas so that I can try planeshift again and then i'll be happy

briancurtin
December 24th, 2005, 10:01 PM
i didnt read every page in this thread, since its a lot, but to me: using Wine/Crossover/Cedega etc is not completely switching to linux. if you use that, you use windows. it gets me every time when people say "i only use linux man, and wine for games" yet all they do is play games all day long. why even use linux if you are just going to essentially run windows inside of it?

i have been linux only for just over 6 months, and i dont plan on using windows on personal computers probably ever again

Perfect Storm
December 24th, 2005, 10:28 PM
I disagree with you. Because you use a program which are written for windows but using an emulator to get it working in Linux doesn't make you are windows user.

briancurtin
December 25th, 2005, 06:28 AM
but you are depending on something that is not linux. maybe i was a bit off in saying that using Wine is using Windows, ok i thought and i really dont 100% believe it. i still dont think that only having linux installed, but using Wine for some windows program, leaves you exempt from being able to say you completely use linux. its not like this is a contest, but its just something i notice.

BLTicklemonster
December 25th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Oddly enough, I boot exclusively to Ubuntu, have XP in vmware player installed for 3d mapping and UT scripting with wotgreal (which doesn't run for banthapoodoo in wine), and dual boot with xp for burning disks because nothing in ubuntu will recognize my drives right at all for any reason now. K3b, cdrip, you name it, they just don't like me. I take it personally, too, and it's causing me quite a bit of distress.

lutosdemayo
December 25th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Damn i can't get my usb dsl modem to work so i'm using windows. But in the office i'm almost windows free since the last tym i have made dreamweaver 8 to work in wine. Any body knows how to make this lucent cell-20a to work?

viscount
December 26th, 2005, 12:07 PM
I've been using Linux for years.
First install was around '97 iirc

..no need for that windows stuff for quite a while, I still
use it on occasion when I am forced to for things like school
or work, but not at home.

pplude92
December 27th, 2005, 02:01 AM
I started out with windows 3.1, back in 96. That year I upgraded to Windows 98. then ME, and 2000. By the time I started running XP, back in 2001, I started to notice that Windows wasn't the only OS out there. In 2003 I got a copy of Lindows 4.5...It crashed a lot, and completely screwed up my comp when my dad started screwing in LILO. So then I put in XP again, later I put in Redhat9, and upgraded to Fedora Core 1 soon after. After testing out Fedora, I switched full time. My father couldnt see my moves through OBDC (or something like that) and put me back on XP...with Win98 security...So I installed VMWare. Then I put Xandros 3.1 on my box...it didn't last long. I wanted true Debian so i used a net-install...it was the unstable version. So then I put GNU-HURD on VMWare. Then I noticed React OS, it isn't too good...Then my father gives me an Ubuntu CD, so I install it in VMWare. It worked well...so I made a dual boot, Next to Debian (for support) and XP. I then Built a custom OS off of Fedora Core 4. After learning all I needed, I built a Linux From Scratch Machine. But it was Very unstable. So I put Ubuntu back in, and by this time I knew how NOT to screw it up. It's my primary OS...and ive had this one 2 weeks...a new record. I'm a programmer and a Beta tester, so I need a machine that can hold up to my tests. Ubuntu hold up very well...and with Samba and WINE, my father can get in (if I want). I left out a lot of OS's I tested in VMWare. If you want a list and a review email me at pplude92@gmail.com

endersshadow
December 27th, 2005, 02:34 AM
but you are depending on something that is not linux. maybe i was a bit off in saying that using Wine is using Windows, ok i thought and i really dont 100% believe it. i still dont think that only having linux installed, but using Wine for some windows program, leaves you exempt from being able to say you completely use linux. its not like this is a contest, but its just something i notice.

I use Linux for everything (don't have Windows installed anywhere), and I was Wine free for a while...but my dad needed some help in his office, and the only other computer we had was mine, but I needed a special FileMakerPro program that was designed specifically for HVAC engineering. What was I supposed to do? Refuse to help my dad because I couldn't bring myself to emulate Windows? Forget that. Unless you feel like writing professional software for people (engineering, accounting, insurance, you name it), people are going to have to use Wine for special cases like that. Granted, if you find yourself running Wine the whole time you're on your computer, then you should ask yourself if you should be using Linux. But, if you need to use a few programs at random spurts in Wine, then, what other choice do you have?

CompiledMonkey
December 27th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Probably never will. I just get more done in Windows, where I use Linux for fun.

43moon
December 27th, 2005, 04:24 AM
I have to keep XP for the occasional work-related projects, but as far as non-work-related computing, I am 100% Ubuntu. That isn't to say that I won't install Vista at some point. I like to keep up-to-date on what they are doing in Windows, but that will be to pay a quick visit and take a look around (perhaps a few hours), I am here to stay.

poofyhairguy
December 27th, 2005, 04:47 AM
On my new computer....no Windows. I guess I am there then.

tukster
December 27th, 2005, 02:55 PM
the day i install photoshop port, that day = bye bye windows :)
seriously, for me gimp is not up to it.
ah and dreamweaver still rules over nvu.

and for the relaxing part(read gaming). i'm cod uo, cod2 addict.
so i'll keep dualbooting. but ubuntu really rules, i mean really rocks.

justinjstark
December 27th, 2005, 07:03 PM
I used to dual-boot gentoo linux and windows just because I always seemed to find a way to **** up gentoo (if it didn't do it by itself) and often had to boot into windows to search the net for an answer to my problems.

Since switching to ubuntu, however, I have completely gotten rid of windows. Ubuntu linux + gnome (I love gnome) does everything I need and is much faster than windows on coming-to-be-dated hardware.

For the record: I do not do any gaming and use the computer mostly for browsing, music and movies, and financial software (grisbi). All of this is easy in linux and ubuntu is rock solid (thanks, debian).

b0rsten
December 27th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I'm using linux about 2years at home
I'm using linux at work / study
My girlfriend is using linux about 1/2 year
My mother is using linux about 3 months or so

every windows-cd was sold :)

samel
December 27th, 2005, 09:53 PM
My brother is!

He moved from home and somebody gave him an old AMD K6-II.
My present for him was a brand new HD , some memo and Ubuntu.
I'm still finishing to put there everything he is used to (mp3 support, flash plugins and things like that), but his box is looking preety nice!

What will he use it for?

Well, some browsing, chatting, emailing, office work, listen to music and Fortran programming for the college he is in. Perfect things to do in a Linux Machine!

I haven't switched yet due to some problems with having my wireless work properly, so I only have i-net access through my win98.

Hope soon I'll do my big jump.

bugaman
December 27th, 2005, 10:18 PM
I switched to Puppy Linux on Xmas, waiting a week to see if I forgot anything, and will (should) reformat my win98 (hda1) drive on New Years Day. Just got my Ubuntu disk in the mail today (ordered on Thanksgiving, not too bad) and will install it on hdb1 after reconfiguring Puppy. Puppy is running great, but I think Ubuntu's gonna kill my tired old computer. Maybe if I switch out Gnome for a smaller WM right away...

Then I have to find 4 people in my dinky town to give the other disks to. That should be interesting...

steveneddy
December 27th, 2005, 11:33 PM
I understand about the "look" of Windows. I am fairly new to Linux, started with Knoppix, tried all the versions, tried Puppy, found Ubuntu and installed it. It works well and I like it better than the Knoppix install, which is still debian, but somethings wierd about it, I can't point it out, just a little quirky.

Once I got to know Ubuntu, I like it very much. I'm still learning.

Knoppix was a great way to start. I installed it the second day I got it and have been on one form on Linux of another for almost two years now.

steveneddy
December 27th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Two years. Win2K on other partition, but that's only for the daughter. Slowly getting her to switch over though.

noco37
December 28th, 2005, 01:10 AM
I don't think I'll ever fully adopt one OS. I like the option to use the 'best' OS for a particular task, and I am a nerd. Heck, I still haven't given up MSDOS 3.1... I need to leave the house more.

DonL
December 28th, 2005, 03:45 AM
For me it's been a few years, maybe five. I started with a library book version of Red Hat 5.something, and couldn't get it working on the old computer I was using. I got Mandrake 7.1 I think it was and commandeered a better computer. It was love, but the rpm system created aggravations. Several versions of Mandrake and Fedora followed till I somehow discovered Debian. Now I knew what system I wanted. I just had to find the right distro.
I've been with Ubuntu now since Warty, and sometimes veered off to test other distros, but for me, this is the one that keeps me coming back.

bavs
December 28th, 2005, 03:49 AM
have tried many distros these past 3 yrs. and in the past 3 weeks just been loving breezy. everything seems to work with a few hrs of dedication and support from these forums :)

towsonu2003
December 28th, 2005, 04:21 AM
almost switched... have XP, but did not do ANY updates (no SP1 no SP2 nothing) so I almost never use it :> Need XP for game (fifa) and statistics (SPSS, no time to learn linux natives)

tora201
December 28th, 2005, 07:15 AM
I currently have SUSE 10 on my Desktop and Ubuntu on my Laptop. Both have XP on separate partitions -- just in case, like those times when I need to use:

1) my Canon (insert insult of choice here) LBP 1210 (insert insult of choice here) printer. Have got my ip4100 going though... but would be lovely to get the laser printer going. Heck, I have never heard of it working on any distro. Have tried several just to try and get it going, but all to no avail.

2) an online TV streamer (such as Internet TV) so I can watch the BBC World Service on my comp.

3) Photoshop and other Adobe products (I wish there was some decent easy to use photo/design program with a half decent interface)

4) Word/MS products -- for those times when Openoffice just doesn't render office files correctly. :-(

FInally Linux is great. It has come an awful long way, but just seems to lack consistency, especially as far as compatibility with MS products and program interface design are concerned.

ATAQ
December 31st, 2005, 06:17 PM
I have completely switched from windows, i used to run it part time, now that I have learned how to do everything I need in Linux I have no use for Windows.
I have over come all my problems. I now use Ubuntu on my two machines.
It does everything, from sending emails to playing battlefield 2!

100% Linux

truthfatal
December 31st, 2005, 06:29 PM
I no longer use windows for anything.
hopefully one day then makers of QuickTax will make a Linux version.

stoffe
December 31st, 2005, 06:42 PM
I'm completely switched since a few years back... switched to Ubuntu in the middle of Warty, before that I ran Gentoo for about a year, I think, also without Windows.

I've had a few false starts on the complete switching before though, once when I accidently trashed my Win partition during Lin install and didn't reinstall for a few months and so on... I think it was some game that drove me back that time, around 2002.

Doesn't mean I never use Windows, but I don't have any installations of my own. =)

matiastepli
December 31st, 2005, 08:04 PM
I think I left Windows two years ago or so. Anyway, games have never been a problem for me since I don't consider them a must.

Regards.

Jergar
December 31st, 2005, 09:18 PM
With Hoary I left Windows and now I'm a happy Kubuntu user. Thanks to all who made it possible.
I expect a great year 2006 with many fine programs for the next release. Maybe KDE 4 comes out in April.

I wish a Happy New Year to all (k)Ubuntu friends.

Jergar

borisattva
December 31st, 2005, 10:20 PM
unfortunatel;y i am too busy to serisouly play games.

after trying the ubuntu live cd i was compelleted to install it and after 1 days of use i decided there is no real reason for me to have windows on this machine so now all its running is a Ubuntu 5.10.

there is still plenty to tweak to get it to work right, but over all i'm impressed withthe simplicity of installation, use and the eye candy that the end result sports, both kde and gnome.

no other destribution was able to convert me like this after mere sampling..

congrats ubuntu team

InsaneSith
January 1st, 2006, 12:27 AM
Made the switch a few days ago.

Occured to me, there was no real reason for me to stay using windows, other than games, and I've cut back on the gaming.
I've been using Ubuntu for a little over a year (November 2004) to run a little server, and with this new system I got I decided I'd just go ahead and put Ubuntu on it as well.

Still trying to tweak everything, but so far I have no regrets.

Cope57
January 1st, 2006, 01:14 AM
Been using Linux since 2003

Reason for leaving M$?
For one, I already had switched all software to open source, except the OS.
It was just a matter of time until I downloaded a KNOPPIX iso and tried it.
That is when I decided to wipe XP and install Linux.

tazwegion
January 1st, 2006, 08:24 AM
Well... I have to be totally honest and say I've not yet comletely converted, yeah sure my primary box is Ubuntu... but I keep 98SE handy for all my 'retro gaming' needs (as I have just been unsuccessful with WINE to date :() the ability to go 'online' minus the plethora of security add-ons is truely appealing, and no doubt less of a strain on my processor (lag/response time) :D

Viva La Ubuntu!

irv
January 1st, 2006, 04:01 PM
I guess I might as well add my two cents worth!
I got involved with computer back in the early eighties, in fact I got so involved that it has been my livelihood ever since. I am a Computer/Network tech with a large company. I have a need to work on Window machines all day long, and the more I work on them the more I dislike Windows.
I started playing around with different flavors of Linux many years ago, but really got serious about it this past year. Since then I am now running a Linux server and a Linux Desktop for my personal use. I do have a Laptop still running WindowXP because of my work, but that is going to end in 10 more working days, you see I am going to retire January 13th, yes that is Friday the 13th. After that I hope to be Windows free.
By the way, after trying many different flavors of Linux, I like and use Ubuntu 5.10 (I tried KDE and GNOME) and the GNOME is the one I think I will stick with.
If I run GNOME on the Desktop and Server, I have no problem with VNCViewer when remoting into my server from the desktop. I can do all my work from one box in the comfort of my home.
One more addision, I do run some Windows apps in Linux under Wine. One of the main program I still use is Quicken 2005, it run flawless.
Thanks for letting me put in my two cents worth.
Irv From Wabasha MN. USA

senshisteph
January 1st, 2006, 05:26 PM
Not only switched completely but am using my little stash of Ubuntu discs to evangelise to my friends! Already got my sister on it (she knows zilch about computers so its just as easy for her to learn how to use Ubuntu as it is for her to learn Windows) and a couple of my more technically confident friends have asked for discs :D

wanger123
January 2nd, 2006, 05:17 AM
Hi all, I am now living in a completely *******-free environment. Just re-formatted my laptop about 3 weeks ago and installed Kubuntu Breezy. I feel so free and everything I need to work, just works!!
:D =D> \\:D/

wanger

newbie2
January 2nd, 2006, 08:53 AM
Hi all, I am now living in a completely *******-free environment. Just re-formatted my laptop about 3 weeks ago and installed Kubuntu Breezy. I feel so free and everything I need to work, just works!!
:D =D> \\:D/

wanger
http://www.kubuntu.org/
http://distroreviews.com/index.php?view=333
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=525&slide=1
:cool:

BobSongs
January 2nd, 2006, 10:10 PM
It's funny. I didn't think I could operate a PC properly without Windows XP. Sure Windows would get wonky after a while. I suppose I add a lot of extra things to tweak it to my liking. So re-installs were kinda frequent... along with frequent "activations". But recently something happened.

I installed Edubuntu as my primary O/S and put in a vanilla version of XP as a second boot option. With most of my time spent tweaking Edubuntu I spent little in XP. Finally I decided to switch and update XP, the anti-virus, install my printer drivers, etc. when XP complained it wasn't activated. Surprise, surprise. I over activated XP! :rolleyes:

No loss. Ubuntu does what I need on the PC right now. If the need gets too great I'll call and tell MS to reinstate my number.

The odd thing is: I'm so used to re-installing Windows in order to get it working again that the temptation is there to re-install Ubuntu. But the odd thing is: I don't need to. Feels strange.

Sef
January 3rd, 2006, 02:51 AM
The odd thing is: I'm so used to re-installing Windows in order to get it working again that the temptation is there to re-install Ubuntu. But the odd thing is: I don't need to. Feels strange.

I do the same, and am trying to get out of that habit, now it is not longer necessary.

mhs
January 4th, 2006, 05:26 AM
i did :)
but the sad part is, im a total noob when it comes to linux :p haha

comshock25
January 4th, 2006, 05:43 AM
I was on a dual-boot setup for a year. I use Windows only for games. Someone gave me a PS2. I liked it. So I totally killed my Windows last night. Bye bye M$!

larry61
January 4th, 2006, 04:55 PM
:o I have been struggling with 4 different versions of linux on three pc's I built. I have Ubuntu5.10 and Suse 9.3 on my xpc amd 64bit shuttle pc. My server runs Mepis, and another box runs Xandros. I am no expert but enjoy tinkering around. My printer works on 3 operating systems but not ubuntu. Since kde isn't a problem I think it is Gnome that is causing my difficulty. I can't hot sync my palm either. I am not giving up. I still remember microsoft and the aggrevation that goes with it that I never caused. There is a difference.

bonzodog
January 4th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I switched to linux as a sole OS LONG ago. I have no need for games as such, my system is mainly internet usage, and linux covers all of that very well. I even built this box to be linux just-works-out-of-the-box centric, and didn't even consider running windows on it. Thus, all my hardware on this box just works.

whistl
January 4th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I use Linux full time, at home and at work. I made the switch at home about 2 years ago. There's nothing I need to do that doesn't work fine in Linux.

During those two years, I've gone from Red Hat 8, to RH9, to FC2, to FC3, to Mandrake and finally to Ubuntu. Finally, a distro that doesn't have lots of annoying mis-features, and updates WORK! There's still too many post-install tasks, like the java and mplayer plugins for firefox...

ldavey
January 5th, 2006, 01:28 AM
i have been using LINUX since september.

i started with REDHAT 9 and then tried Ubuntu for a month and removed that to try FC4 but went back to Ubuntu... now i have Ubuntu on 2 of my PC's and removed windows completely on both... only using windows on my 3rd PC because i have a brandnew EPSON printer scanner in one device and the scanner refuses to work, also i need active sync for my windows based PPC !!! dam microsoft ! lol

I was a big gamer a couple years ago played UT and UT2k4, MOHAA, but now NEVER even touch games, but if i want to i have tested UT and 2k4 on linux purely to compare performance with windows and i was happy enough so games wont be a problem for me :)

for me UBUNTU is perfect and simply works for me, only big issue i had that held me up for a while was WIRELESS NETWORKING btu i brought a comptable card which was cheap and i am hooked, never will use windows again tbh !

lemmy999
January 7th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Tried a few Live CDs (Mepis/Knoppix/Suse/Ubuntu), liked Ubuntu most, so over Xmas i rebuilt the machine to dual boot. Still working on various issues -printer/DVD burner etc but this forum has been excellent at helping me!!

Havent started Windows up since rebuild!:)

linuxman254
January 7th, 2006, 09:57 PM
About 2 years. Ubuntu is great! I would never think of touching a Windows box. Unless the poor soul wants me to fix it.

kennyhow
January 8th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Well, I've been switching back and forth between windows 98, xp and linux for the past two years. But, now I am using kubuntu primarily...have xp on the hard drive still but don't use it. I use my windows apps through wine...only two of them. The rest I can do without. I found moneydance to be a good alternative to ms money. My wife's computer is windows xp but I'm thinking about switching it to kubuntu when she's not looking...maybe take the 40gb hard drive out and put in the 6gb drive. She only uses the thing for internet and instant messaging.

Thirsteh
January 8th, 2006, 10:06 AM
I can proudly say that I've managed to exclude Windows completely from my life. There is no longer anything that I am forced to use Windows to do.

Thank you God!

chaosblue
January 9th, 2006, 08:58 AM
I have Ubuntu on my home server and one laptop. I still have my XP box because GIMP still isn't as good as Photoshop and openCanvas, both of which I use extensively. I certainly have my preference, though!

I'm kind of doing a test of Ubuntu's user-friendliness right now. My Japanese sister-in-law is having me install it on her laptop.

Char

tommi-fi
January 9th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Haven't yet replaced Windows XP with Ubuntu/Debian.

Only thing in windows for me is encoding videos and DVDs. I also haven't found anything I could use to make my own DVD movies with menus.

I think mencoder is good for video encoding, I just don't know how to use it.

Once I find replacing application for Windows VirtualdubMod I will start using Ubuntu linux full time.
Or maybe I have to install wmvare and WXP.

I have Ubuntu warty/hoary in my Digital recorder.

linuxfanatic1024
January 9th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I am!!! And darn proud of it, too!!!

I quit using Windows on March 28, 2004. Since then, I've been a pure Linux user. I started using Linux (started with Debian) on February 7, 2004, and I enjoyed it. My reason for trying it? I HATED Windows 98, could NOT agree with Windows XP's license agreement, and I was sick of limiting my game pads to game port ones (because I used emulators and games under DOS because of Windows hogging so much CPU time).

After about a month of Linux usage, I decided to wipe Windows off my drive for good. It is nice being able to play DOS games with USB game pads (now I can game on my laptop), and I also really like not having to reboot 5 times (or more) per day.

I think I chose a good time to switch, too. That spot in time is when there were enough applications for most of my computer needs.

I have tried these:
- Debian (+: package management, debconf; -: too old, update cycle is slow)
- Fedora (Hated this one completely--no MP3 support, sound was routed through aRts and esd (bad for gaming), didn't like ALSA (needed for my laptop), DEAD SLOW SPEED, no DVD support)
- Mandrake/Mandriva (+: Easy to use, fast; -: problems with my USB mouse not working, too commercialized, very buggy lately)
- Ubuntu (+: too many to list here ;) ; -: My touchpad needs to be configured manually)

GA\/1N
January 10th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I am going to start using ubuntu as soon as i have a router and an ethernet internet connection. I am unable to use the ubuntu operating system at the moment as i have AOL and i can not connect to the internet using my USB modem:sad:

GA\/1N
January 10th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I am going to start using ubuntu as soon as i have a router and an ethernet internet connection. I am unable to use the ubuntu operating system at the moment as i have AOL and i can not connect to the internet using my USB modem.:sad:

Suger
January 10th, 2006, 11:43 AM
I haven't completely switched to Linux, as I'm using OpenBSD for my DMZ and my server. But yes, I have completely switched to *nix. Never used Windows and completed the transition from OS X a few months ago (when my laptop died. Anyhow, I was running XFCE over darwin, which wasn't exactly what you'd call not *nix, is it ?)

zorkerz
January 11th, 2006, 07:15 AM
I've completly switched, except for an occasional lapse into my civ iv addiction.

Worm_in_a_Box
January 11th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Hie , my name is Worm. I have been using Linux for two years, and got myself free from the drugs fully for more than 1 year now _o/ !

DigitalDuality
January 11th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I'm still a amateur at best with Linux. I tried out Fedora/Red Hat a couple of times through college, took a Unix/Linux course.. and dual booted an XP/Suse machine for years that i never used the Linux side of. Alot of my problem long ago was AOL. I couldn't afford my own ISP, so i leeched off my parents accounts to save money. AOL isn't really much of an option in Linux. But as of this week.. I have no Windows machines left.. except the ones i'm on at work. and i do have Fedora machine at work.

At home.. i have a Kubuntu, Ubuntu and OS X machines running. No more windows for me, and probably never again :)

I guess i have it easier than alot of people though. I'm not really addicted to MS office, nor am i a big gamer. It's really odd spending your whole life messing with computers (Wintel boxes), going to college for networking, even being a System Admin at a 80 person company, and have worked for larger businesses before...setting up servers of various natures.. and i feel like a moron when i'm on a linux box. But i'm learning :)

hillbilly
January 11th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I still have win xp as my primary OS. I keep it for games, video chatting and voice chatting.

mlalkaka
January 12th, 2006, 10:21 PM
I think I started using Linux at the dawn of 2004 (Just before Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community was released). My first distro was Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community. I was amazed with the level of "customizibility" on Linux. I used it for whatever I could, and quickly began using it on a day-to-day basis. Back then, I still played games on Windows since Wine didn't work will with them. Then I tried Debian Sarge, and now I used Ubuntu Breezy. I no longer have Windows installed; it serves no purpose for me. The games that I play are either natively supported on Linux (UT2004, RTCW ET) or work very well with Wine (GTA III). Hopefully, there will be more support for Linux in the near future, so more people can make a complete transition, if they choose to do so.

ajaygautam
January 12th, 2006, 10:34 PM
I am linux only on my home computer. The only game I really play (about 2 hours per month), works very well on Linux: Quake 3 arena :) Its the only game I purchased.

Ajay

Nimoitu
January 14th, 2006, 10:38 AM
It will be done when I get my new computer :)

Unit #134679
January 14th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I keep Windows as my primary because of games, Reason (alternative to Fruity Loops if you never heard of it), and for some reason...Windows is faster than my Ubuntu and I've had less problems

jreis
January 14th, 2006, 04:08 PM
whell i only need windows only for software and Web site (because of IE) analises...
the majority of the programs that i use have an equivalente on linux... thats why my primary PC only has Ubuntu Installed.

trancephorm
January 15th, 2006, 12:01 PM
There are many problems related to "completely switching" to linux, especially for users that are actually very comfortable with XP (like me) and using too many programs... Okay, my situation is like this:, not matter how difficult installation of linux is (i can live with that (why, for example, ubuntu falsely installs drivers for my very standard radeon 9700 pro, fixed it :)..), I still think the quality alternatives for many XP applications are not yet existing, and most probably will not exist just because linux is NOT too much commercially oriented. The fact is that the best programs can be made only by big teams and you can't get no big team without money... OK, now you'll say, what??? opensource?? I say you can't make quality application out of chaos, you need control, you need direction.

There are too much linux distros out there... More standardization is what the community needs.

I still like linux a lot, and I'm trying hard to switch to it, Ubuntu is a nice thing, but sadly enough, I think it will never become a "mainstream" like XP is. :(

Krigl
January 15th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Not completely, there are many data in win partitions I need so I kept them. But since installing Breezy I haven't booted to XP. After exams time, friend will come with a notebook, I'll make a backup and fire up the reinstall (better partitioning etc.). I thought I'll make it fine dual-boot with two system partitions and one big FAT 32 but the longer I'm using Breezy the more think of saying goodbye to dual-boot or at least giving some second distro a try.
I haven't played games, except the old DOS ones, I have no Photoshop, I don't need Wins that much.

I still think the quality alternatives for many XP applications are not yet existing, and most probably will not exist just because linux is NOT too much commercially oriented. The fact is that the best programs can be made only by big teams and you can't get no big team without money... OK, now you'll say, what??? opensource?? I say you can't make quality application out of chaos, you need control, you need direction.

There are too much linux distros out there... More standardization is what the community needs.
:(

Sure but there are still a lots of people who don't use all those programs without alternatives. Standardization would be OK (in terms like compatibility) but otherwise that chaos is one OSS strengths - there are always some alternatives when you hit the blind road.
Btw. I live in country where certain people tried to give others control and direction on scientifical basis to reach really efficient economics and it ended up using source tapes (steering tapes? perforation tapes? not sure how it's in English) in the second half of 80'.

srwebber
January 15th, 2006, 02:30 PM
After many years of playing with Linux, I finally moved to Ubuntu 2 weeks ago. It felt exciting to wipe XP from my hard disk and install Linux. Since then I have had ups and downs, but nothing has happened yet to tempt me back. After many years working with Windows, it will take a while for things to become second nature and I still feel that there is so much that I don't know. As I gradually overcome my lack of familiarity, I do feel a growing sense of freedom.

cotton
January 15th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I play with linux but for its very to try use a system that can't even install and run a connect to the internet. I can't even use a modem, see other devices install and you have read daylight to dawn just to fix the problem. I really do not see any real different in speed. So until someone can fix these problem most people will not start using linux.

galgoz
January 15th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I have only one OS "installed" on my computer. Ubuntu. However, I do run windows inside of Ubuntu using Qemu as I need it for Dreamweaver as I am a web designer. NVU doesn't cut it for me yet, but I am hopeful.

hen3rz
January 15th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Total Ubutnu Formated linux away about 2 weeks ago and havent looked back. Currently I'm running Photoshop 7 for work on wine which is a pain as i really want CS2 but it won't run on wine!

drizek
January 16th, 2006, 12:10 AM
use vmware

otetiani
January 16th, 2006, 01:54 AM
I have been using Linux for about 6 months now, well trying to use. I always hated Microsoft, but didn't think I could figure out Linux, then a few months ago I read a book on HTML and created a website for my family and whalla I realized it may be tough, but even I probably do it.

2 months ago I switched from Debian to Ubuntu and found Ubuntu to be easy enough for me to learn on. I have not used my Windows box for almost 2 months now except occational games.

As soon as I fix my screw-up my main box (64-bit) will dual boot Ubuntu 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Not sure that I will even put XP back on it since I've been without it for 2 weeks and other than games don't care. Still fighting with GRUB though, so not for now, and I refuse to buy a new HD because I know I can fix these eventually.

neogeek
January 16th, 2006, 02:08 AM
I install Redhat 9.0 2 years ago on my laptop to try out. My main OS on my desktop is Windows XP.

Last year, I decided to try out other distros, had some difficulty downloading ISO files but managed to do it eventually. I tried Fedora Core 4.0, and found it to be similar to Redhat (of course, since it is the updated version of Redhat).

Last October, I decided to try ubuntu after reading several reviews. I have been using it ever since. Tried Kubuntu but after using it awhile, all the icons disappeared and I was too lazy to fix so I installed ubuntu and it has been working fine so far.

However, since I use Dreamweaver alot for my doing my websites, I have installed Win XP on dual-book just for that.

I like using linux because there are alot of freeware to use and I do not have to worry much about viruses and worms etc.

:D

aysiu
January 16th, 2006, 02:11 AM
I
However, since I use Dreamweaver alot for my doing my websites, I have installed Win XP on dual-book just for that. Dreamweaver may be your thing, as long as you're aware of some other website-designing programs in Linux, such as Bluefish, Nvu, and Qanta.

jaos512
January 16th, 2006, 03:29 AM
I'm trying linux out for the second time. First time got scared from all the typing and starting apps in the terminal. Decided to erase windows and learn linux all the way. Haven't used windows since new years. Should be a rewarding experience if i stick with it this time.

Randomskk
January 16th, 2006, 03:30 AM
I kept windows on a dual boot, but since installing Ubuntu I haven't loaded it once (except just after installation to check it would load, and then I just shutdown and rebooted into Ubuntu) and I have to say, Ubuntu's damned nice.

No WINE on 64bit means I'm yet to try getting games to work, although CS: S, X3 Reunion, Civ IV and AoE3 are the only games I really want to work.

Everything else works lovely though, so no complaints here.

txgunslinger
January 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I have switched my main OS to Ubuntu after only a couple of weeks, but I am still using winxp to do remote administration at work (since I refuse to use the mozilla activex controls and open up Ubuntu to that crap).

I've been thinking about using Rdesktop, but I haven't played around with it yet, so I just don't know. If I can make it work (and some issues I'm having with multimedia, but that's not too big of a deal), I'll be on Ubuntu/Kubuntu all the time at home.

afx
January 26th, 2006, 01:17 AM
I switched completely to Kubuntu the other day, but I still have to run win under vmware because of my Nokia phone (need Nokia Suite to transfer files from/to phone with usb cable). I also miss Babylon Translator on my win...

Sp@z
January 26th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Since I have gone a week without crashing ubuntu (Ok I crashed it, but I also fixed it) and reinstalling it..it does 99% of what I want it too. CounterStrike Source and getting my Pocket PC to sych will prolly empower me to erase winXP....till then I dual boot.

gooner
January 26th, 2006, 02:30 AM
I started experimenting with linux about 3 years ago but had a tough time getting my internal modem working and soon gave up. Since i bought this laptop around a year ago i've had a number of distros duel booting alongside xp. since i decided to see what all the fuss was about i've had all 40 gigs dedicated to ubuntu and haven't looked back.

There are a few things however that i miss about windows, the relatively excellent hibernation support and the gaming. I've started using consoles for gaming and with the time saved from windows crashing the hibernation thing no longer bothers me.

stoffepojken
January 26th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Ubuntu is the only OS installed on my computer but I use VMware for one reason. I run a DC++ network and the DC++ clients in Linux sucks, at least if you are an operator. I tried to get them running in wine but with no luck

]Nbx*cmD[
January 26th, 2006, 02:02 PM
I switched to ubuntu since last time my ex-winxp completely crashed and lost all my data (about 5 months ago).
I don't miss ANY of windooze features and for games... loki did an awesome job :D Quake 3 works so... what else can you need? ;)
Ubuntuforums users solved all my problems, unlike microsoft help :lol:

]Nbx*cmD[
January 26th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I still think the quality alternatives for many XP applications are not yet existing, and most probably will not exist just because linux is NOT too much commercially oriented. The fact is that the best programs can be made only by big teams and you can't get no big team without money... OK, now you'll say, what??? opensource?? I say you can't make quality application out of chaos, you need control, you need direction.

Wow i can't agree!
Things done by money are only oriented to gain more money. Things done by programmers who like programming and don't aim earning a penny are oriented to people and they work perfectly because all users work on it and keep always fix ing bugs.
If you still miss something in any opensource software... just add it by yourself ;)
And by the way... I'm almost sure that opensource community is way bigger than microsoft's programming crew :p

I would want to post a piece of The Godfather that fits perfectly here:

JOHNNY OLA: Those rebels, you know, they're lunatics.

MICHAEL: Maybe so -- but it occurred to me. The soldiers are paid to fight -- the rebels aren't.

ROTH : What does that tell you?

MICHAEL: They can win.

That's the thing, we can win ;)

patrick295767
January 26th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I switched to Linux since Windows XP was getting too slow, too much protections to put in windows (antivirus / anti spywares / big firewalling... )
& always having to re-put my ghost image as soon as sthg went wrong...
Reinstalling the drivers again & again &

Loosign time !

Linux, came, and changed everthg :

PC is always very slow (fvwm+kicker) & always workign wihtout any doubts !

Long Life to Linux

==
Also, for home apps, for ur own familly, the multiusers on several pc, connected to one server is very very great !
Freedom, speed, stability and Damn Powerful OS !

We Love it, this Ubuntu !

Pat'

lutosdemayo
January 26th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Not exactly a complete migration to linux but i do most of my work on linux now. I still have XP installed just a safety net when the time comes when i crash ubuntu again and my boss wants me to do something. I tinker with it a lot that sometimes i simply break it down and have to reinstall it again. Other than that, i only run XP in VMware Player when i need to use windows programs. I like it that way cause you can kill it instantly (suspend) and kick it up back again when i need it. Otherwise i run windows programs on wine.

patrick295767
January 26th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Not exactly a complete migration to linux but i do most of my work on linux now. I still have XP installed just a safety net when the time comes when i crash ubuntu again and my boss wants me to do something. I tinker with it a lot that sometimes i simply break it down and have to reinstall it again. Other than that, i only run XP in VMware Player when i need to use windows programs. I like it that way cause you can kill it instantly (suspend) and kick it up back again when i need it. Otherwise i run windows programs on wine.

Hi,

Arent you frustrated that sometimes vmware is rather slow... for calculations / image data treatmetn/ photoshop / illustrator ??

Greetz,

Pat'

Vash
January 26th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I have been using Linux On and off for about 8 months now. Recently windows started giving me more problems so I tried to clean install a copy of xp. But it seems that someone got a hold of my cd key so i couldnt update. Now im 100% linux. Still miss somethings about stupid windows, like the gaming.

Bandit
January 26th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I had rather stab myself in the hm..hm's... with a cold blunt butter knife then use Windows...

TechSonic
January 26th, 2006, 11:44 PM
I think once I can get sound to work in Flash (preferably in Konqueror)

Here is a solution I done figured out, install flash from the Macromedia web site download. Make sure you install flash in both mozilla folder and firefox folder. Donno why but thats how I got Kubuntu to work. I got sound but some times I do require to refresh the page or reopen the window for sound to work. It also helps if you stop any other sound applications and enable arts when viewing flash..

That worked for me, see if it does for you. I switched back to the Gnome version though, KDE may look really nice but it's a bit of a CPU hog, even with menu shadows and special window themes disabled.

Downtown
January 27th, 2006, 06:33 PM
I am damn near a full migration. There is just the matte of transferring all my files from my XP to Linux folders, and the arduous task of ripping my music collection to Linux because I have tons and tons of albums on my XP setup in AtracPLUS format which can only be played on Sonicstage which only runs on Windows. So I'm predicting a few months before the transition is complete.

patrick295767
January 27th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I am damn near a full migration. There is just the matte of transferring all my files from my XP to Linux folders, and the arduous task of ripping my music collection to Linux because I have tons and tons of albums on my XP setup in AtracPLUS format which can only be played on Sonicstage which only runs on Windows. So I'm predicting a few months before the transition is complete.

And, concerning windows apps ? Are u still using some windows-programs ? (vmware /wine or cedega)?

ardchoille
January 27th, 2006, 10:34 PM
I switched to Linux about five years ago.. haven't touched a Microsoft product since then.

gamma
January 27th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I always had 10GB left to Windows ever since I switched to Linux 4 years ago. I booted into it about once a month, mostly for updating the system. As of this Monday I got rid of Gentoo and Windows and installed Kubuntu on my system. Yay me :D.

lemonade
January 28th, 2006, 10:27 AM
It all begun in 2003 when I first switched my desktop to linux and erased windows. Soon I installed linux to my server. Then when I met my girlfriend, she too wanted to switch to linux. And now - I've been using only linux since that and also made my mom and brother to switch, and I have never regret that day when I made switch.

lutosdemayo
January 28th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Hi,

Arent you frustrated that sometimes vmware is rather slow... for calculations / image data treatmetn/ photoshop / illustrator ??

Greetz,

Pat'

Kinda slow but manageable i only use use it mostly for yahoo messenger for its voice and video cause all my friends are there. That is why i'm a bit frustrated that gaim 2, i was hoping that i would include voice and video support. I only do php mostly and dreamweaver 8 just works fine with wine.:-D :-D

neoflight
January 29th, 2006, 02:23 AM
welll.....i am getting a garmin gps portable and the updates for the software and the maps are for windows...anyone knows how i cud use ubuntu to get those things work...my usb port works fine...

otherwise i keep windows xp once a while to get some online movies and such...
and updates once or twice a month

BitTorrentBuddha
January 29th, 2006, 04:58 AM
I've only been using linux for about a month [by using I mean exclusively using] so far the only problem ubuntu has given me that wasn't solved through automatix was sound, and I found a quick fix for that [plugged my speakers into the headphone jack on the front]

lifeperfecti0n
January 30th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Hi all,
Well I only use Windows sometimes to play games...basically my mom is a beginner to computers so she isn't willing to learn Linux as yet..:( .i think it is a disgrace to linux to put a charge on Cedega...nywayz my vram is too low 4 the frame rate to b bearable in linux...
so which 3d games do u ppl think i can run on intel i815egew with 32MB vram, 384 MB physical mem n PIII 1.0 Ghz proc within ubuntu hoary?:confused:

Dragonfly_X
January 30th, 2006, 06:47 PM
My home pc is only running linux, unfortunately my boss doesn't allow me to run linux at work :cry:

Hackbart
February 1st, 2006, 03:40 AM
I have three computers at home not including my wife's laptop. Linux on 2 out of the 3. Started with Slackware late last year on my WIndows obsolete PII 300MHz. Runs great. Use it most every day.

WIped XP and converted my laptop to Ubuntu this last weekend. Using it right now. I got the Citrix client working last night so I can connect to work. Tonight I'm going to look at getting the wireless all working. This is my road warrior so if I can get this laptop setup to do what I need it to do when I travel I'm all set and it will never run windows again. I just wish the "Designed for Windows" sticker would come off of it a little easier :)

I'll probably keep #3 a Win box for a while, but there is a good possibility it will be Linux or *BSD before the end on the year. Need to get off of Quicken. Testing alternatives on my Slack box.

I actually enjoy tinkering with computers at home again. It reminds me of when I bought my first computer, a 386 25MHz, years ago. :-D

Tichondrius
February 1st, 2006, 05:00 AM
ROFL, my first home computer was texas instruments TI-99. The manual had an example BASIC program which printed numbers in an infinite loop. It boasted that "look how fast the numbers go by, it's almost too fast to see all of them".

Sokraates
February 1st, 2006, 01:54 PM
I'm using WinXP for games only (they don't run well under Cedega; I tried) on my desktop. The NICs are deactivated, so I could throw out AV- and anti-spyware apps. Now the games run a bit faster. ;) If I need any patches or new video-drivers, I download them in linux and put them on a shared FAT32-partition. But mst of the time I'm too lazy to switch to XP just for gaming, so instead I try new apps on ubuntu, compile stuff and tweak the system. I consider this an alternative form of "gaming". At least it's fun!

On my laptop I had WinXP Home preinstalled and left it be. Though I only started WinXP once: to defrag the drive and afterwards installed ubuntu. Then I mounted the partiton once to get the WLAN-drivers.

Tichondrius
February 1st, 2006, 05:05 PM
I'm using WinXP for games only (they don't run well under Cedega; I tried) on my desktop. The NICs are deactivated, so I could throw out AV- and anti-spyware apps. Now the games run a bit faster. ;) If I need any patches or new video-drivers, I download them in linux and put them on a shared FAT32-partition. But mst of the time I'm too lazy to switch to XP just for gaming, so instead I try new apps on ubuntu, compile stuff and tweak the system. I consider this an alternative form of "gaming". At least it's fun!

On my laptop I had WinXP Home preinstalled and left it be. Though I only started WinXP once: to defrag the drive and afterwards installed ubuntu. Then I mounted the partiton once to get the WLAN-drivers.

ROFL, whoever play games today without online multiplayer ??!?! And I don't think you can get windows updates using linux. You have to use IE/ActiveX. Si in fact it's just as well you have no connectivity in windows cause you probabyl have an unpatched, unsecure system.

BitTorrentBuddha
February 1st, 2006, 07:56 PM
Hi all,
Well I only use Windows sometimes to play games...basically my mom is a beginner to computers so she isn't willing to learn Linux as yet..:( .i think it is a disgrace to linux to put a charge on Cedega...nywayz my vram is too low 4 the frame rate to b bearable in linux...
so which 3d games do u ppl think i can run on intel i815egew with 32MB vram, 384 MB physical mem n PIII 1.0 Ghz proc within ubuntu hoary?:confused:
Try planeshift (planeshift.it), it's a pretty good mmorpg, and runs natively in linux and it's open source, it's still in pre-alpha testing but everything works well.

akiro.yamamoto
February 3rd, 2006, 07:27 AM
I still have WinXP installed...... however the last time I actually booted into XP was about 3 weeks ago to use partition magic to make room for dapper x64 ;)
Right now I can say that 98% of my computer time is spent in Linux.

purdy hate machine
February 3rd, 2006, 09:27 AM
My home is 100% Windows free. I’m not particularly anti MS, I just don’t need it anymore. I have a small shuttle PC in the living room running Mepis which is connected to my TV and hi-fi and used as an entertainment system. I have an Office PC in a spare room running Ubuntu (Gnome) and a laptop running Ubuntu (XFCE4) :)

fiver
February 3rd, 2006, 02:40 PM
I switched about a month and a half ago. I used to use a url-logger, as well as play the odd game, but since I don't really play new games anymore (go Civilisation 1!), and since the url-logger wasn't needed any more I am now windows free.

Sine then I have managed to get two of my friends (well one intends to switch but has yet to actually buy her machine), as well as my dad and sister to switch over on their personal machines. Not bad so far. ;)

ESPOiG
February 3rd, 2006, 04:43 PM
im the same as most of these ppl... games games and games :P thats all basically i use windows for other than that im the only one in my household that runs linux

we have 12 computers in our house starting from 600mhz to quite high but unforuentley the rest of the family is windows addictaded and i only been using linux for about 2 yearz cuz my uncle works at SGI (silicon graphics in australia) and he got me onto to :D :D

first knopix then gentoo the fc4 then rh9 the suse then debian then ubuntu and ever since

isaacf
February 3rd, 2006, 11:54 PM
I've been using linux eclusively since last October. I dual-booted with Windows for about a week before that and swicthed to dual-booting Ubunut and other linux distros.

sunnypk
February 4th, 2006, 02:00 AM
I am still using windows just because of my internet :(...after around 10 days of installation still unable to get my modem installed otherwise I would have switched totally over to ubuntu...

bionicyeti
February 4th, 2006, 02:18 AM
I'm a windows (mcse) sys admin for a living so I can't completely switch. But I have been 100% Ubuntu on my laptop for a week now with no problems.

I also have a debian server and another Ubuntu box at the house but I can't get the wife to switch so I stilll have 1 xp box left.

Randomskk
February 4th, 2006, 02:32 AM
I run Linux on my server and laptop exclusievly, and my desktop still has windows xp - but I've only booted it twice, both times for less than 10m, and the first time was to check it still works after installing Ubuntu :-P

I keep it mainly for all the programs installed there, the data on the disk and in case I ever want to play a game :-P

lordnikon
February 6th, 2006, 06:11 AM
I have 3 machines that I use all the time. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to install Kubuntu/Ubuntu on all three and still keep my job. BUT, in one year or so, I change jobs and get my friggin' life back. So until then I enjoy the heck out of dabling with Kubuntu on my main machine and showing all the windoz diehards that there is a 95% functional alternative in the world. Besides, life would be really boring waiting on the Microsoft machine for new, creative computing ideas.

Enjoyed reading the thread,

lordnikon

zubrug
February 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Five months and counting. Could not have done it without all the info from everyone on these forums! Ahh, good times.\\:D/

rock freak
February 6th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Ive been ubuntu free on my box for nearly 3 weeks now no problems what so ever! Trying to get parents over to it atm!! and i am working with the IT dep at college to get ubuntu working full and poperluy supported at school as we all want the school to go dual boot then accross to ubuntu!!!

s6dalane
February 6th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I installed Ubuntu last october and I've used Windows only briefly since then. About a month ago I uninstalled Windows completely.
Ubuntu is so much better! I like it alot and can't wait till next release is out. :)

kisain
February 6th, 2006, 09:30 PM
sence april of last year i have been a ubuntu user ^_^ and i woulden't have it any other way......it does everything that windoes does and it's mine ^_^.
i even game quite successfully in linux too \\:D/ \\:D/ \\:D/ \\:D/

lordbf1
February 6th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I am about 75% all Linux. I am system admin and we are a all winblows house so i still have to run some winblows. buy i finaly got my I S manager to let me start installing some linux.

\\lordbf1

QettoE
February 7th, 2006, 04:58 PM
I started Linux with Kubuntu about three weeks ago and it's been dragging me away from Winblows ever since. I brought my Linux box to our "all-Winblows" company and gave up my Windows box already. I think this was the fastest transition!

I'm a Winblows pro and a real Linux noob, but I like the challenge of "getting things to work", so help me god ;)

katanacb
February 7th, 2006, 11:48 PM
"Completely"? hm... well I guess I haven't completely done that, since I still run Windows under VMware... but Windows isn't installed 'natively' on any machine I own or run (all virtual).

I'm not much of a gamer, but I have to keep Windows (or at least keep it around on VMware) because I need it for some work-related things. But the number of times that I boot it up decreases every month ...

Just a quick off-topic comment: I've been running Linux for years (started with RedHat 3 and Kernel 1.2!). and I've used just about every Linux distribution out there. Most recently, I was a Gentoo / KDE user (both 32-bit and 64-bit), but finally decided to see what all the excitement was about with Ubuntu (plus, I just got tired of compiling everything and constantly tweeking my computer for this or that, I just don't have the time anymore). I'm very very impressed, both with Ubuntu and Gnome. The balance of speed, ease of use, and everything just 'working' out of the box has been stellar, and in fact, this is the best distribution that I've ever put on a laptop. I had to do very little post-install fiddling to get things working, and for that I give a big THUMBS UP.

jam'ez
February 8th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I am using linux ubuntu alot more. ave been using it on and off on different boxs for a few months and i like it.
so soon the time will come i think of giving xp the shuve. poor bill gates aye hehe :evil:

brianfinley
February 8th, 2006, 10:32 PM
I switched completely. In 1999.

theturner
February 9th, 2006, 01:00 AM
i switched in 2000. To BeOS, then.

FlakJacket
February 9th, 2006, 02:30 AM
I've just recently installed a dual-boot of Kubuntu on my XP laptop, but I've been using various forms of Linux on (expendable) machines for at least four years. I started off with RedHat 7 I believe and also tried Mandrake 9 and 10 (haven't tried Mandriva). Mandrake gave me constant trouble with X's monitor drivers (i ended up going to a garage sale to get a monitor) and RedHat didn't do anything for me. I tried SuSE and liked it pretty well but like on all of the previous distros i could not get my wireless adaptor to work. Then I met Knoppix. I put in the liveCD booted up modprobed the card and it just worked. Unfortunatley in subsequent versions of knoppix the drivers seem to have been removed. Then I acquired this laptop which had a fresh reinstall of XP in it. I used XP for about a month when I discovered Ubuntu. I made a liveCD and it worked with my internal card. Then I started to consider installing Ubuntu permanently. I chose Kubuntu because I had used KDE alot in previous distros so it was the one I was most familiar with. I couldn't be happier and haven't booted up XP in about a week. The only problems are that I installed the linux vers of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and it lagged quite a bit and that the system settings window is really messed up in its sizing. I may install Wolf:ET again now that I have improved my network to see if it works better.

Flak

ssstrx
February 9th, 2006, 05:20 AM
last time i booted into windows i just sat there with a blank look on my face thinking what am i doing in here:confused:

thelazzyone
February 10th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Since I installed Unbuntu, I only use Windows for work.

DaveQB
February 17th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Still got a Windows parititon as i was using it for Madden 06. Now Cedega supports it i have no need for Windows at all now.

Oh i do use it for Firewire DV capture because it seems my onboard (EPoX 8RDA+ mobo) doesnt work under linux.

But i can just buy an external card for that and totally dump windows....hmm must do that this weekend :D

trancephorm
February 17th, 2006, 06:21 PM
http://k7jo.de/8rda+/ is the address where you can get newest non-official bioses for 8rda+. In my case, until I flashed it to newest unofficial version, my sound was conflicting with my keyboard in windows. In Ubunutu 5.10 everything seems ok...

But I really can't "dump" windows yet... there are reasons, and i'm tired to write 'em now :)

roadwarrior244
February 18th, 2006, 04:10 AM
I finally took the plung and moved all of my productive type work to Linux/Ubuntu.still have win98 on its on drive for old games that have a problem playing under wine in linux. Finally got tired of having to reload windows every month or so because of crashes. What made the move easier to do was the wife gave up PC adnworks only on a Mac.:)

vayde
February 18th, 2006, 07:38 AM
I've had enough of the evil empire. I prefer my computer to do what I tell it to do, when I tell it to do it, and nothing more or less.

My entire business is converted over to Linux, and I have never been happier.

I tried to set up an XP partition just for gaming, but eventually gave up because the games weren't worth the headache of dealing with XP.

Kevin Carmony
February 18th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I run Linux full time on my desktop and laptop computers and have for over two years.

Kevin

Devastator9
February 19th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Well just so that the world will know, I took all the money I saved for the last 3 years from Mr. Gates and spilt it up amoung the LINUX world.
Now i'm much happier sending that money to those who care about what works and if it don't they do fix right a way. Thanks to you Unbuntu I'm happy all the time.

nharris
February 19th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I quit using Microsoft products three years ago after a trojan or virus knocked out the system. My old machine was too small for XP and so I bought Redhat 9. It worked so well as a desktop that I decided to never go back!

When I bought my new computer I loaded Redhat 9 on that and loaded FreeBSD as well on a whim. Not having a computer background, I found comparing how things are done differently between the two systems really helped in learning how to set things up. Now I dual boot between Ubuntu and FreeBSD. So technically I've not completely switched to Linux!
:-D

QwUo173Hy
February 19th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I switched to mandriva about 4 years ago in my final year of software engineering. I havent used windows since a graduated. I miss the games a little, but to be honest, with work and other hobbies, I dont really have time anyway. And there are some great 2D games like Enigma for example (www.nongnu.org/enigma).

I have been using kubuntu for about two weeks, and I plan on sticking with it permanently. I am very happy and can get all my tweaking done with in a few hours and just use it as intended from there.

Roughly every few months, someone who sees the clean linux setup, not bogged down by antivirus and update alerts etc, actually switches to linux too with my help!

Gsyman
February 20th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Now dumped XP off my Dell Inspiron 5100 Laptop, running Ubuntu on my old Deskpro too. Trying to convince my wife and kids to ditch Windows too, from their laptops. I've learnt a lot on the way.

joaocosta
February 20th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I still use XP, because one of the applications which I must use only runs on it, but if it weren't for that, it's likely I'd be using Linux only :)

jmullagh
February 25th, 2006, 03:10 PM
I use Unbuntu about 90% of the time. I would completely switch over if I can get the following to work:
Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0
Adobe Elements 2.0
Quicken 2006
Lexmark X83 All in One Printer

I love Unbuntu now... Been using it for four months and I forget what windows even looks like. Now... three out of my four computers run Unbuntu and one runs Edunbuntu for the kids... It is...by far... the best operating system I have come across.
Unfortunately, one of the big reasons Linux in general does not catch on with most people is all the tweaking that has to be done. People do not realize that the tweaking is what makes this operating system what it is...YOURS!
but... most older people just like the plug and play environment and cannot be bothered with the tweaking aspect... Automatix though took care of 70% of my tweaking here.
I teach a HS class on computer safety and since I introduced them to Linux, more than 1/2 have switched their systems over from windows. The first 5 disks disappeared in an hour. Ordered 30 more and waiting for their arrival however, they are now all spoken for! Hope the distribution center does not get mad at the amount of disks I have ordered and will order in the future...

Anyway... Thank You for a great operating system and when I get completely acclimated to this and re-learn Unix/Linux, I hope to be a contributor here one day!

Rita
February 25th, 2006, 05:19 PM

I have switched to ubuntu linux, no longer have windows xp on my system.

lw4ul
February 28th, 2006, 10:49 PM
i completely switched about 3 months ago.i started using knoppix bout a year ago.then fedora core 4.I found that ubuntu is the best for people wanting to switch from windows.plus no spyware and that.i don't even think i have my copy of windows anymore.

DarrenB
March 1st, 2006, 12:14 PM
At home - completely. Not at work yet - still have about 250 PC's and servers i manage on M$. All the clever stuff is on AS/400's and HPUX, and since we are creating all the interfaces in Java now....only a matter of time.
Just about to start switching my wife's school to Ubuntu. Mainly because it's reliable, i do have a full time job managing IT systems, and i don't want to have to spend all my waking hours fixing M$ junk.

Strangely, despite a few minor teething troubles, my laptop (Fujitsu S7020) runs better, with more of the hardware functions working, on ubuntu than on XP.
Previous distributions i have used over the last 10 years or so - slakware, SuSe, mandrake, red hat, debian...plus freeBSD (since i felt at home after years using BSD on HP/Apollo systems). My last challenge - getting linux on my old MAC (performa 7600).
Ubuntu is the first distribution i've actually been able to install and use in less than a day. vastly superior!

sumon07can
March 1st, 2006, 02:41 PM
I just start it. It's cool but still I am facing a lot problem like :
Installation
Still I wouuld say this is great and smooth

Vinovium
March 6th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I have been using linux now for some two years. I now use it exclusively for any web-based work and 95% of other activities too. The major difficulty in using linux seems to be the reluctance of developer's of many hardware add-ons to embrace linux too! Portable MP3 players are a good example! The copyright morass causes difficulties also! With certain distributions I would defy any beginner to get his machine to play MP3 or DVD material. Many distros are workable and reliable and then have to be crippled.:(

The overall improvement that I have seen over the last couple of years is encouraging. Most linux distros are certainly as easy to install as *******, many are significantly easier. Brilliant:-D

Can anyone help me replace Paperport?:-k

Peter

songo
March 6th, 2006, 04:34 PM
since sep 2005 (6 months) i use only kubuntu hoary at home and at college in my project. i do not have a win installation on my pc, although i still need matlab (haven't tried it yet on linux) and football manager (my last gaming addiction).
it's not easy, but i'm happy and i'm learning new things everyday, here at the forum and on #ubuntu and #ubuntu-br.
but if i didn't started with ubuntu, i don't know what would happen to me!

jigantor
March 7th, 2006, 12:52 AM
I've been using Breezy for about a month now and I think the only time I have used Windows in that time was to rip a couple of dvds (dvd::rip had some teething trouble but works fine now!). Although there's no need to get rid of Windows just yet, when HDD space becomes an issue off it will go. Ubuntu is genius!

squidward
March 12th, 2006, 12:03 AM
I use a keyboard switcher and flip back and forth between UB and Win.

Win is kept around for buying/playing music... anyone know a legal way to do this in Linux? That is Linux iTunes and Linux version of Win Media Player ?

Also keep Win for odd ball apps like Turbo Tax and Home Lawyer.

Dhar
March 12th, 2006, 04:16 AM
I've been using Linux exclusively at home for about 7 or 8 years, now. \\:D/ I think the straw that broke the camel's back was buying a new monitor and not being able to convince Windows that it could support more than 640x480 16 colors -- it wanted me to install the "monitor driver". I wiped the disk and never looked back.

I still can't escape Windows at work, though...:mad:

-g.

omp
March 12th, 2006, 08:37 AM
I've been using Gentoo only since early September 2005. However, I have used Linux a long time before that.

Simon Bridge
March 12th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Win is kept around for buying/playing music... anyone know a legal way to do this in Linux? That is Linux iTunes and Linux version of Win Media Player ?there are ubuntu packages for playing mp3 and wmv and so on in the repos. If you buy the music you can legally play it however you like. (In most countries anyway ...)

Since you have windows - then you have paid the licence to use the codecs. Since you paid for the music, you have the licence to play it. Use your licence to convert to ogg/vorbis format :) you can play them in totem and watch goom :)

nismoskys
March 13th, 2006, 02:42 AM
ive been dual booting xp/ubuntu for a while, but i hadnt gone into xp in some time.. i decided to go into it one day (about a month ago) and realized that it wouldnt boot.. iunno blank screen.. luckily ubuntu's been working fine and i havent had the need for xp so far.. so im doin good.
except my printer.. being dumb.. but hopefully ill get it workin soon.

rfruth
March 13th, 2006, 02:55 AM
I went from XP to Ubuntu a few months ago and so far so good :D

blurredbrain
March 13th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Funny story.

I'm a minister and one of the kids in our youth group somehow has access to the MS Developer's site. He burned me a copy of Vista beta and dropped it off. Last Monday I thought I'd give it a shot (Since I was planning on re-installing XP Pro anyway I figured if something went wrong, or it sucked or whatever I'd just re-install XP Pro). So Vista kept hanging on my Compaq Presario V2000z, not entirely surprising since supporting laptop hardware is involved, and it is a beta. So I grab my copy of XP Pro and it turns out that some of the data was uncopyable due to the CD rattling around in my laptop bag for so long.

I look around, find a copy of Ubuntu 64 I had laying around. Load it up, get it running after about an hour of screwing with it, and haven't looked back. 64 bit power, wireless is working, and no complaints so far. The only thing I can't do is itunes, so I just loaded up itunes on the desktop in the office and go from there.

I had loaded up Ubuntu awhile back and I had some complaints about it. I don't know if I've just caught on to linux faster or what but things seemed to have worked better this time.

Angry penguin
March 15th, 2006, 10:57 PM
I wish I could say that I have switched all the way, unfortunately I have to be able to play Counter Strike Source and HL2: Deathmatch and of course HL2. The only thing I use windows for is gaming. Of course having some printer support thats worth a damn would be nice as well. CUPS is crap. So until then I will continue to dual boot XP/Ubuntu Dapper on my desktop and Breezy on my laptop. \\:D/

jwsawyer
March 16th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I switched to only linux after hurricane katrina took my computer that had xp on it. When I relocated to Iowa I used my brothers computer with only windows me on it until I got my own. I have several hard drives and triple boot a couple of them with different versions of linux. I just like to play under the hood to much to be satisfied with windows.

frobroj
March 16th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Only two things keep me from using it 24x7 and those are Evolution and its instability(at least when using the exchange connector). And the big one...... Games!
But thanks to all the hard work of everyone on the Ubuntu Team I am closer than ever to casting windows aside. THANKS A MILLION TO EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTES!!!! :-D THE DREAM IS MATERIALIZING!

malavar
March 17th, 2006, 12:42 AM
i been dual booting with different linux distro's / XP for a while but i recently did the full swap to linux, i only kept windows for games...

Sharkscott
March 17th, 2006, 01:28 AM
November 28, 2005

http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/20400/

For just over a year up to that point, I had been using different flavors of Linux on my second "compy".

But now I am proud to say that I am Window free and M$ clean.

I even tossed the back-up disks, then washed my hands. Seriously, I did.

:-)

TwistesdTexan
March 17th, 2006, 03:40 AM
I'm new to Linux. I have 2 computer completely switched to ubuntu. I like to be able to solve the problems of why this don't work and that does work. I am still having problems but I guess I will never figure it all out. I started in computers on a Tandy Micro Color Computer with a built-in 12k of memory. I then got away from computers until they came out with the bigest drive ever. A 20 meg with 512 k of memory. I now am running a 3gigahz Processor whit hyper-threading. I have a 120 gig hd and 1 gig of memory. This is a freelance built machine. I have 256meg of vidieo memory. Thats more memory than my first 2 computers combined. There isn't any more line no. editing or casset saving but I still make mistakes and I guess I'll wind up having to reformat at some point. Untill then I can say that B. Gates didn't get any more of my money. I am enjoying the ability to edit config files and set things up the way I want them, nopt the way someone else thinks they should be.
My office Laptop is still *******. I guess I won't ever get completely out of the circle. Thanks ubuntu.

rfruth
March 17th, 2006, 03:43 AM
No problems here !

AndyCooll
March 17th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I think I've mentioned earlier in this thread that I kept XP purely for one game. recently I've moved one step closer to a complete switch (though I'm still not quite there). Installed VMWare Player and thanks to one of the threads on these forums made a virtual copy of XP and can now run my game on that. It's a football management game so graphics and speed issues aren't really very important.

So ...I'm nearly there!

:cool:

K.Mandla
March 17th, 2006, 11:11 PM
I'm off Windows, even though I sometimes think I would go back to play games. What's surprising, though, is that the few games I thought would keep that Windows partition alive haven't proven all that great.

There was a while when Guild Wars seemed Windows' last hope for me, but to be honest, I can get NWN running and I started in with Vendetta Online, and they've satisfied that occasional urge.

So again, I'm off it. :D

P.S.: I don't even bother installing the MS core fonts any more. :D

hmLyons
March 17th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I've been on Linux completely for somewhere between 1.5-2 years. At home that is. At work we use WinXP. It's been a great experience for me. Not without it's own small issues...

I started with Mandrake, then went to Fedora Core 3 for about a year. And I've been on Ubuntu for about a week.

blackrim
March 18th, 2006, 07:26 AM
i am a biology grad student and i completely switched (stress completely as i have been using linux since '96) last year. so all publications, illustrations, dna sequence processing, statistical analyses and presentations are done on linux. i am slowly encouraging the rest of the lab to switch (at least to GNU software). we save a lot of money. i am very happy with linux, although settling down with one distro can be time consuming.

deadgobby
March 18th, 2006, 08:56 AM
I been using Linux for over a year. 1st I was running Linspire, Fedora, Suse, and now Ubie for about 8 months. I still run Suse. I have not use windows except for at work, but very happy with linux and glad of not using winwhore.
Gobby

htinn
March 18th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I mostly use Ubuntu and dabble with Fedora Core. I despise Windows. I never even want to *look* at anther Windows box, let alone use one.

EKa
March 18th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I made the complete switch to linux about 4 or 5 months ago after using linux for about the same time. I miss some games but that's about it.

oh and my scanner doesn't work under linux but they're cheap so I'm just going to buy a new one. Once I get around to it.
I have switched at home. Work is a different story.

EKa

jbinto
March 21st, 2006, 09:42 AM
I have linux on three of four PCs in my house.

P4 2.4Ghz, primary desktop system. Gentoo unstable, KDE.
AMD 1.8Ghz laptop, Gentoo stable, XFCE.
P3 1.0Ghz file server, Gentoo stable, no GUI.

You might ask why I post here if I'm not running Ubuntu?

Simple. I'm trying it for the first time now, for a friend who decided he wanted linux on his old p3-533mhz. I decided against gentoo, since he's not going to be willing to invest time in maintaining his machine.

So, my friend who is not the biggest computer geek will be 100% Ubuntu-fied by tomorrow.

jonathansizz
March 24th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I moved from Windows to FreeBSD ('cold turkey') last year - so when I installed Ubuntu after that it was a revelation - no problems after learning *NIX on FreeBSD! I now dual-boot Ubuntu (as my main OS) with FreeBSD. No need for Windows any more.

It was especially satisfying when I built my new desktop a few months ago and saved ~$100 by buying it OS-free!

jmorrow
March 27th, 2006, 02:38 AM
I finally made the plung. I was resisting because of configuration issues with my dell laptop, but decided to "jump in the deep end," as it were, and make it work. Currently I have change everything over to blue (I never really liked the brown theme), and am now working on my multimedia buttons. I hope to set up a web server again soon and it will be ubuntu as well.

wolfee
March 27th, 2006, 08:38 AM
I did 3 days ago!! &^%$!!!! microshaft!!!! I was using xp "pro"

tpog
March 27th, 2006, 11:46 PM
I've been using a linux desktop at work for somewhere close to four years now. Decided to try Ubuntu after a recent upgrade to FC5 left me with no access to our network drives (issues between CIFS and W2k3 SP1). Thought I'd install ubuntu while I reported the bug to the kernel group. I think I might stay now. Very impressive distro.

otaviofcs
March 28th, 2006, 01:26 AM
I'm using ubuntu (5.10) since last year at home. Before that I had conectiva 10. the great thing is that i've bought 2 hd's to my home computer cause i thought my wife would never be satisfied with linux (don't ask me why). For my surprise she now gets more and more used to it (but sometimes complains about sites that only accepts IE). At work i have one linux and one winxp notebook for myself.

etank
March 28th, 2006, 03:27 AM
I am running Ubuntu 5.10 on both my personal laptop and on a machine that I built for my kids. The only place that I have to use Microsoft is at work. If I had my way I don't think I would ever boot another Windows machine.

caspian
March 28th, 2006, 04:23 AM
I've used Ubuntu as my primary operating system for about a year or so (I've been on Linux for about a year and a half). However, I still keep Windows on my computer (The crowd gasps).

I've got 30+ free gigs of free disk space, even with Windows on my hard drive -- so I figured, I'll just let it sit there... it's not taking up any valuable space ;) (Hey, I paid for it, in a sense, since it came with my computer).

I do *sob* dual boot a couple times a year when I need to use some proprietary software.

TheHighChild
March 28th, 2006, 07:20 AM
I installed Kubuntu Breezy Testing on my IBM T42 about 6 months ago and did the same with my x86_64 Machine at home. The T42 is still keeping it real, finally got wireless working a few days ago. Since playing with Dapper TF5. The feat for today was getting Flashplayer and Java 1.5 setup with firefox on a 64bit install.

/Good stuff.

//Thanks to all the cats making this stuff happen, all the guide writers, developers, newb-helpers. Thanks for keeping it real.

///Total conversion since Breezy Test Flight.

AlphaMack
March 28th, 2006, 08:05 AM
I've been a 100% Mac user until the beginning of the year when my girlfriend wondered what to do with her old Dell Inspiron 4100 running a fubared copy of Win ME. I heard so many good things about Ubuntu that I dove right in...as a complete noob to Linux. Having already been comfortable with the command line, the curve wasn't very steep except for the little nuts and bolts of the OS. Over the weekend I fubared the Breezy install while trying to dist-upgrade to Dapper so it gave me a good excuse to partition the drive the second time around. Of course, never having done it before, I dove straight into the partitioner. I only wish that I split the 10 GB drive 50/50 as after installing just about everything with Automatix and other goodies, the / partition is still only barely 2/3 full. I did a 60/40 (more like only 3.6 GB). :( Better to be safe than sorry I guess. It's painfully obvious that I need to 'unlearn' the fear of dedicating large partitions to OS bloat. Still, with music and moderate WINE installs across three different accounts, the /home is still only 1/3 full. I'm impressed with the low overhead.

Can't say the same about the likes of OS X...

Three months later, I have a second system - my PowerBook - dual booting OS X and Ubuntu Dapper. I dedicated 10 GB to Ubuntu without realizing that I could easily mount my HFS+ partitions. Only 1/3 of that space is being used while OS X Tiger seems to choke on 15 GB with a Filevaulted account unnecessarily gobbling up HD space. The lack of working wireless is the sole showstopper that is keeping me on OS X. I have a very old clamshell iBook that I plan on converting to 100% Ubuntu since the drive is only 6 GB and OS X is greedy for space.

I will say this: If I have to buy new hardware at some point, it won't be a Mac. ;) Besides, I'm tired of the Apple tax.

nharihar
March 29th, 2006, 06:47 AM
I have been using GNU/Linux for a long time (started with Tomsrtbt and then Slackware 3.5). Rid my Dell Inspiron 8100 of Windows XP the day Warty was released. Now me, my inspiron and the badger are one happy family. My wife a Windows user is now a full-time GNU/Linux user :)

All thanks to the people behind Ubuntu.

youbuntoo
March 29th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I haven't totally given up windows...I run a VM of XP using Parallels Workstation for gaming and outlook. it's what works for me. http://www.parallels.com

Zodiac
March 29th, 2006, 05:49 PM
The only thing I use my main PC for is Games, burning CDs, chatting with friends, and synching my iPod... since 3 of the 4 are more easily done in Windows, that is what I use.

My laptop however is all Ubuntu... now if only I could get wireless networking to work... ;)

pablo180
March 30th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I only really use my Windows XP for playing games, using hardware, connecting succesfully to a network and other computers, USB devices, using useful software and work.

Other than that I use Ubuntu.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
March 30th, 2006, 02:40 AM
I'm 100 % Ubuntu on my two computers :) I don't play computer games so I don't even miss windows one bit :KS

SreckoMicic
April 1st, 2006, 09:18 AM
Only thing for what I'm using win is ACAD Building system. I work as pipe designer, and cause there is no eqvivalent for that (Qcad is far away right now). But for rest I use only UBUNTU (3dmodeling, text, programming ...). If one day there is sometnig like ACAD-BS on Linux then, for me, wIn is history.

eyedol
April 1st, 2006, 05:48 PM
I recently switch 100% to ubuntu because i got hold of a new laptop. I use to
dual boot ubuntu and winXp because of a sister of mine. Now there is no hd
space for windows on my laptop. Windows is a complete history i never miss it.
Is a crap piece of OS i have ever use. These days i don't think about virus , spyware
and unccessary possible attacks.

LoclynGrey
April 1st, 2006, 11:47 PM
Hi all.
After many months of justifing a dual boot - and not really using Windows, I have done the complete switch over to Ubuntu. Not only did I switch my main PC but also my fileserver sitting in the garage.

As with others my work laptop is still xp (only recently). But it is mapped into a samba share on my ubuntu fileserver and can wirelessly stream music any where in the house, which is a bonus. :) I do have plans to convert it back to Linux (yes I did try it), although my work uses windows file syncronisation to local folders which I must say is quite useful and also they like to use MS word. (Wine, yes I know thats the plan along with d-Link wep wifi and Vodafone 3G card. Open office is great but not to hot at running MS word macros)

It may just be me, but what ever Windows PC I seem to use, seems to crash. Haha. The other day we had our IT support fly into town who is so Pro Windows XP + exchange server that you would think he was working for Microsoft. We didnt really see eye to eye. Nor did he like the fact that I had removed Win XP off my laptop to put Win 2K on (as it is more stable), i'm sure he wouldn't have been impressed if I still had Ubuntu dual booting on the laptop.

rpj911
April 2nd, 2006, 03:23 AM
Been doing Linux for about three years. My Sony Vaio GRV550 laptop has had WInXP & FC3 as dual boot with grub, then FC4, then Ubuntu, then several flavors of Linux, now finally settled on Kubuntu. Family computer has xp so 7 y/o can play all his games..he keeps asking me if I can put that tuxracer on his computer. I think my Sony TV even has Montivista Linux for it's program guide. It's hard to beet all that free software, or googling for bash scripts to do backups instead of buying windoz programs. Thanks to all you kind hearted script writers and programmers sharing your knowledge. Don't forget to send a little paypal thier way once in a while to keep that ball rolling. Just my 2c.

ectospasm
April 4th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I have been using Linux off and on since 1997 (Slackware, I don't remember the version). I finally made the plunge on my desktop three years ago (using Gentoo). Windows is still installed, but it never gets executed anymore. While I was finishing up my degree I had Windows XP on my Thinkpad; now it sports Breezy. The only problem with it is that the wireless antenna built into it seems to have died. Gonna go out and get a Ralink 2500 PCMCIA card today...

gborzi
April 4th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I started using linux in 1995, using a Slackware distribution. At the time the kernel was 1.2.x, with 1.3.x as the unstable kernel. It was a real pain to configure the system, there was not all the documentation we can find today. The only way to get a screen resolution higher than 480x360 with my trident video card, was to exchange it for an S3 based video card. Luckly, I had already used some unix at the university.
I switched completely to linux in 1998-99, with a redhat, perhaps version 7.2. Then, around 2000 I switched to mandrake and about 5 months ago to kubuntu.

BlueNoteMKVI
April 7th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Man, did anyone actually read all 99 pages (and counting!) of this thread?

Heck, might as well chime in.

Linux is my main OS. I tried RH9, Fedora Core 2, Mandrake something or other, settled on Gentoo for a while and now I think I've found my permanent choice with Ubuntu. As long as they keep moving forward the way they have been I don't see any reason why I would leave. Between my office and my house I'm in charge of 2 servers and a laptop that run solely Ubuntu. I have two web servers in a datacenter that run CentOS - I'd put Ubuntu on them if my control panel software would run on it.

Unfortunately, I still have to keep Windows around. I build websites for a living and there are some tools that simply do not have equivalents on Linux - the most notable being Photoshop. Gimp is great, I use it often, but Photoshop is better. 99% of my coding is done with Quanta on Linux but for serious graphics work I have to reboot. I also run Finale on my laptop for funsies. Another program that's been very useful and has no Linux equivalent is Beyond Compare, but unless you're involved in some sort of coding you're probably not familiar with it. It runs under Wine but is too buggy. Again, I reboot when I need it. There are programs on Linux with similar aims (compare files, find differences and resolve them) but none with the power of Beyond Compare.

More things that don't exist on Linux...an accounting program to compete with QuickBooks. I use QuickBooks daily in my business, and I have two machines here in the shop that only run Windows (one for the accountant, one for general anybody use). I also have a few peripherals that don't run under Windows that I need on a regular basis.

So nope, I haven't switched completely over. I've found that Linux is great to do what it was designed for - run a server. My Ubuntu servers have run without issues for a very long time. Linux is also great for most users' everyday needs - my wife's laptop handles her web surfing, emailing and general office type usage very well (and does not have Windows installed at all). For me, I need both. I'm a firm believer in using the right tool for the job. Given a tool on Windows and one on Linux that worked equally well I would choose the Linux tool, but if one is more powerful that's what I'll choose.

jarocooke
April 7th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Quick and simple:

100% Ubuntu :-D

I do like to play games, but I make do with the ones that run ok under cedega.

Why? - Tried to dual boot for a while, but the damn Windows kept getting virus' etc...

The way I look at it, no matter how you cut the cake, it isn't Linux's fault if software isn't created for it, it is the software creators fault. Why then would I want to pay money to a company that does nothing to support my operating system of choice? You know what I don't want to. After a while you don't wind up missing anything, the software for Linux is generally better than that for Windows anyway (and almost always cheaper :p ).

SHodges
April 8th, 2006, 12:04 AM
I completly switched to Ubuntu literally after the first time I ran the LiveCD that I got in the mail, something I had forgotten I even requested. I have an Xbox360, and am also going to buy a Revolution, so though I'm a hardcore gamer, I'm still getting my fix even though I run Linux. And other than games, Linux excels at doing anything I want it too. My only complaints are that installation of software is not as easy as it should be, and a few other nitpicks like me needing to jump through hoops to configure a WIRED network (which is making me reconsider my desire to get an Ubuntu-running laptop for college), but all in all I'm hoping they'll be fixed relatively soon.

TuXethic
April 8th, 2006, 03:49 AM
I use windows on my desktop, and ubuntu on my laptop :-D Cuz I am a .NET programmer, and the best development environment for that is still windows ;)

Kuprin
April 10th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I'm getting close. I'm learning the depth of gaming and most of my favourite games are now Linux-based. If I got a GeForce (my next box will have one) and managed to get Ragnarok Battle Offline working in Wine, I'd be switched completely. Oh, and OpenRPG would have to get their crap together and fix their dependencies, but I could probably grab their source and do that myself. It's just a matter of calling the new Python library instead of hardcoding it to call the old ones. ><

Anyway...most of what I do is Linux-based, because I'm an RPG guy who plays the odd shooter. (can't wait for UT2007!)

Nolochemical
April 10th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Im glad to say that my box is almost fully configured so Im nearly there. ^_^

Hey I found out that Savage: The Battle for Newerth is now freeware!! Yup FREE! SO if your thinking about making the full leap with a game this might help, because this game is also ported for linux :mrgreen:

There is not much news on S2Games official website about this so, user beware. Here is were you may attain a copy and get some info.

Savage: The Battle for Newerth
http://databox.topcities.com/

chestnut1969
April 12th, 2006, 03:10 PM
100% Ubuntu (snapshot) on laptop
Windows XP desktop (work uses heaps of windows only custom apps). I may install linux and vmware windows/apps soon..

not really fussed about gaming, apart from the odd xmame session. I just don't get the time anymore!!

kevin50r
April 13th, 2006, 02:32 AM
I use Dapper strictly at home on my only computer, a used laptop.
We use Windows at work and I have no control over the choice but I would change at least some of it if I could.
I am quite satisfied with my current setup, using dapper, and I don't see that changing.
I have some concerns over some future purchases, ie; a GPS, wireless router and how I will be able to interact without MS, but I will make do.

3rdalbum
April 13th, 2006, 06:48 AM
My only complaints are that installation of software is not as easy as it should be,

Whoa! If Ubuntu's developers, or indeed the developers of any OS, can make the installation of software easier than it is with Ubuntu, I'll eat my hat!

stengah
April 13th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I've deleted XP from my Acer Aspire 3000 laptop running Ubuntu exclusively - I a graphic designer, but applications like Inkscape, Scribus and Gimp does make the transition less troublesome - seems like the right decision but I'm still learning :D

andy_cowman
April 13th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Currently living with parents after UNI and I sold my laptop but it had been a year and a half on ubuntu only! Had a perfect setup with it. Since I set up my parents computers 2 are on Ubuntu (on on Ubuntu with KDE installed) and the other which is for photography is on Ubuntu normal and i am just finishing up getting it all setup. Having a few issues with RAW files and easy printing though. It does have XP installed in VMPLayer but only for photoshop CS2 which isnt getting used very much now since I have got my father trying the Gimp and its impressing him through its ease of use.

Andy

SHodges
April 13th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Whoa! If Ubuntu's developers, or indeed the developers of any OS, can make the installation of software easier than it is with Ubuntu, I'll eat my hat!
Go get the salt. Ok, get this - on some operating systems out there, instead of command lines and compiling things and generally needing to spend at least an hour figuring out why I'm getting sanity check errors and the like, on some of them, you just click two or three things, type something here and there, and you're done. It's amazing. It's just too bad that viruses and the like also love it.