PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39

ACubed10
February 11th, 2013, 04:37 PM
100% Linux for a while. I'm a Microsoft Tech and Network Administrator so I am stuck using Windows at work :@. At my office I use an iMac, which I love. Home, all I have is Ubuntu! Enjoy coming home every night to work from here ):P

Adonai Araya
February 11th, 2013, 09:41 PM
100% Linux too. At least at home ;)
Ubuntu and Xubuntu are my love, I used Kubuntu for a while but for some reason it don't fit to me so I stick with Ubuntu.
I don't hate windows anyway but I still prefer Linux.

rickyrockrat
February 11th, 2013, 09:43 PM
I can view Hulu's stuff, YouTube's stuff on the Kbuntu machines but the Ubuntu boxes (mine and client's) will not. Although the problem seems to be an Adobe Problem... Seems to me that Adobe/Ubuntu/Canonical should have, would have, enough clout to force Adobe to G.T.S.T. in a more timely manner.
12.04 is working here with YouTube, but I have mediubutu repositories enabled. Might try that.

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
February 11th, 2013, 10:01 PM
12.04 is working here with YouTube, but I have mediubutu repositories enabled. Might try that.

http://www.medibuntu.org/

ac5jw
February 12th, 2013, 01:59 AM
I did about two or three years ago.

I switched to Ubuntu Lucid by way of a soon-to-expire XP installation and downloaded it from the web. It all started after my Windows 2000 crashed and I could not repair or restore it.

I then got a newer PC with Ubuntu on it from a friend after a couple months later. I kept up with updates and version upgrades until I crashed my OS by removing things I was not using in the Software Center to the point that I lost my Settings icon and my Software Center icon.

So I tried using the remaining Update Manager icon to try a last resort of upgrading to Ubuntu 12.10 online before I could do any more damage. The PC rebooted after the upgrade, but it hung up in the boot process and I could not proceed any further.

Then I ordered some Linux CDs online and was able to put a working OS back on my computer. My backup computer now has a Canonical Ubuntu 12.04 LTS CD installation and works just fine. My primary computer was not as accomodating and refused to boot from the 12.04 CD, so I had to put a different Linux OS on it for the meantime while I sort out the boot problem.

But, I am very happy I got rid of Windows and I use Linux OS for viewing CD files, for Internet browsing, and viewing some documents.

kech07
February 12th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I just completely switched to Ubuntu after few months of part time experience. For the last 10yrs as a independant consultant, I used XPpro which needed to be reinstalled each 6 months.
But now after complete transfer, I also discover that software provider are not opened to collaborate with Linux world. For my job, I often need to organise webmeeting sessions and mainly organisations use Citrix, Ilink tools... And it is quite difficult for manage an efficient collaborative work with "Windows world" due to this restrictive transparency. Only Webex seems to have a solution !!
Maybe my level of knowledge of Ubuntu has also some impact on my ability to manage theses difficulties, but to stay working only on Ubuntu will require me big effort; we are not able to change our customer tools, but better be open to use their tools !!
But I try to stay on the Ubuntu track for a while.;)

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
February 12th, 2013, 10:19 AM
I just completely switched to Ubuntu after few months of part time experience. For the last 10yrs as a independant consultant, I used XPpro which needed to be reinstalled each 6 months.
But now after complete transfer, I also discover that software provider are not opened to collaborate with Linux world. For my job, I often need to organise webmeeting sessions and mainly organisations use Citrix, Ilink tools... And it is quite difficult for manage an efficient collaborative work with "Windows world" due to this restrictive transparency. Only Webex seems to have a solution !!
Maybe my level of knowledge of Ubuntu has also some impact on my ability to manage theses difficulties, but to stay working only on Ubuntu will require me big effort; we are not able to change our customer tools, but better be open to use their tools !!
But I try to stay on the Ubuntu track for a while.;)

There's no need to make your life difficult. If work requires you to use Windows, use Windows at work and Ubuntu at home.

bodhi.zazen
February 12th, 2013, 06:24 PM
There's no need to make your life difficult. If work requires you to use Windows, use Windows at work and Ubuntu at home.

+1

And encourage work to look at open source solutions, libre-office works on windows and will help with migration.

unheeding
February 12th, 2013, 07:55 PM
When I got a laptop back in 2003 or so, I decided I would get a laptop and put Linux on it. It was a disaster, it couldn't suspend/resume, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't get the wifi to work. So I went back to Windows. Later on, I bought a eMac, and thought it was the best thing ever. I got another Mac - an iMac - and sold my eMac. I used that for several years until my girlfriend broke it when the desk it was on fell over and shattered the screen.

We moved across the country and got a laptop and stuck with Windows 7. Then we broke up, she kept the computer and I moved back home.

I bought this laptop in June after not having a computer for a few months, initially I used the Windows 7 that came with it. Even looked at getting Windows 8 - only $15 to upgrade! At some point many months ago I decided to install Linux on it, creating an extended partition. Here's the thing: Everything Just Worked™. After about six months, I realized I hadn't booted into Windows for any serious amount of time.

So I decided to completely nuke the Windows install. I formatted the Win7 partition to ext4, then copied all my data from my Linux partition to the first partition on the disk, the newly created ext4 partition. Then I reinstalled Linux, resizing the first partition to take advantage of the whole hard drive (except for a 20GB root partition and a swap partition). I am officially Windows free!

I still use some closed source software, I have a Blackberry Playbook (great deal for the hardware, pretty great OS) and an older Blackberry phone. I also have Opera installed on here, but use it infrequently. For games I usually play my 3DS.

Also, I *love* Unity. I hated it at first, switched distros to avoid it (Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Debian, Bodhi, Mint, elementaryOS, Fedora, Fuduntu). Eventually I realized that my Fuduntu setup (it uses GNOME2) was basically a wannabe Unity, replete with Global Menu and Close/Min/Max buttons in the top panel. I also realized that GNOME2 doesn't really have much of a future, so I jumped ship. I'll probably stick with Unity for the forseeable future.

basica
February 13th, 2013, 06:08 AM
I mostly use OSX since it's on my laptop which I use almost exclusively. On my desktop and servers I run a variety of distros but I like Ubuntu just because it's so popular it's easy to get support and find software/packages for it. I have been playing on and off with it now for around 10 years I guess and I can say the progress has been immense. Very pleased.

peyre
February 14th, 2013, 02:34 AM
I mostly use OSX since it's on my laptop which I use almost exclusively. On my desktop and servers I run a variety of distros but I like Ubuntu just because it's so popular it's easy to get support and find software/packages for it. I have been playing on and off with it now for around 10 years I guess and I can say the progress has been immense. Very pleased.

basica----am I to take it from your handle that you were once a progammer/user of BASICA on the IBM PC? If so, you might want to check out my GWBASIC page for old times' sake! See my signature for the link. \\:D/

basica
February 14th, 2013, 01:05 PM
basica----am I to take it from your handle that you were once a progammer/user of BASICA on the IBM PC? If so, you might want to check out my GWBASIC page for old times' sake! See my signature for the link. \\:D/
Hehe, my nickname is actually a play on my name. I attempted to check out your link but it's hijacked by ad software which redirects to other sites which are basically ad sites.

peyre
February 14th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Hehe, my nickname is actually a play on my name. I attempted to check out your link but it's hijacked by ad software which redirects to other sites which are basically ad sites.

D'oh! I had to switch hosting providers (again), but forgot to update my signature. The link should work now.

gnuser12
February 14th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I nearly completely switched to linux. Only One Windows is installed. :)
because such things as mathlab and visual studio like a native win environment.
If anyone knows a alternative to ml and vs It would be nice.

GE gnuser

monkeybrain2012
February 14th, 2013, 08:56 PM
I nearly completely switched to linux. Only One Windows is installed. :)
because such things as mathlab and visual studio like a native win environment.
If anyone knows a alternative to ml and vs It would be nice.

GE gnuser

??? Matlab runs natively in Linux.

gnuser12
February 15th, 2013, 08:05 AM
hello,
matlab runs only on windows
and therefore my question
Is there any other software ?

sorry my english isn't so good

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
February 15th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Visual Studio is an IDE, right?

There's a version of VS that costs the price of a car but I presume you're not using that one. So, what's wrong with NetBeans or Eclipse?

You can run Enterprise Architect well in Wine and Sparx even has instructions on their website. Eclipse also has lots of modelling plugins etc. I'm not a programmer so I couldn't attest to how good any of it is, though.

If your needs concern specifically MS things like ASP.NET maybe Linux is not the most suited system for that kind of development.

rktompsett
February 16th, 2013, 04:04 AM
100% Ubuntu 12.04, 0% Microsoft

GerMulvey
February 16th, 2013, 10:25 AM
I keep trying to but new releases of ubuntu have a habit of breaking things that worked fine, but that's another thread lol

peyre
February 16th, 2013, 05:50 PM
hello,

According to the system requirements page, it does run natively in Linux, and Mac:

http://www.mathworks.com/support/sysreq/roadmap.html?s_cid=wiki_matlab_16

PIE09gbLmgG6
February 16th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Yeah, we're in the middle of the windows purge in my home...we have about 5 laptops and a slew of tablets...figure I'll keep one windows machine just for works requirements...but everything else is on the block for spring break total purge...

ego-

imnotthere
February 16th, 2013, 06:25 PM
On my desktop I run Manjaro Linux and on my laptop I run Windows 7 because I need to use Photoshop, but If Linux could handle Photoshop I would run Linux only.

Bupsss
February 17th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I was just looking for a discussion like this.
And I'd like to get some replies about this comment.

For years I've been using mostly windows for work reasons (my software doesn't run at all on linux) but I've been using ubuntu as "all the rest" pc.

But since I moved to win8 I'm using ubuntu less and less.
Pretty much just for the easier way to work and for the MetroUI

Some of you might think that MetroUI is horrible, those big blocks... and I agree... but on the other hand is damn easy to get the right stuff on screen. (don't look at the start...but at the apps layouts, it just feels dynamic)
Plus the big fonts make it easier to read, for example if I'm playing something on the second screen.

Don't get me wrong, I still have a dual boot and I'm giving a try to the 12.10, but as a designer it really annoys me that ubuntu still works on layouts that were "cool" 5-10 years ago.
Why do they try to incorporate such stupid things instead of focusing on speed and design? (I do hate those 90' stock icons)
I was using the "cool" search tool, looking for an app...It showed pics of my girl naked... well... nice to see... but not if I have people around...
Plus I dont want to search online too...I HAVE to allow that. What if I'm using a 3g network?

Also...I still don't get why ubuntu has to be so complicated to use.

Just these days I converted a friend to use ubuntu for his business... and when he installed everything (after 2 days of pain for configurations) he told me:
"why does it look so crap?"
"well, so that you can install themes"
"ok, how?"
"oh well... you get the icons, then the windows theme, then the desktop theme, then you put all these into the right folders then...."
"u kidding me? If I have all this time, I would be having sex..."

That's pretty much why I'm still not using Ubuntu...

I was even wondering to try the ubuntu phone... but I'm afraid about it's use.... if I have to make a call I should open the terminal -> su phone -> su makecall ##### -> yes
LOL :D

peyre
February 17th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Don't get me wrong, I still have a dual boot and I'm giving a try to the 12.10, but as a designer it really annoys me that ubuntu still works on layouts that were "cool" 5-10 years ago.
Why do they try to incorporate such stupid things instead of focusing on speed and design? (I do hate those 90' stock icons)

I don't know if this helps or hurts, but the variants--Xubuntu and Lubuntu--do focus on speed at least. They offer a snappy user experience. You might feel their design leaves something to be desired though, since they have (or at least lend themselves to) a Windows 2000-type interface. Of course, that's why I like Xubuntu anyway, but that's just me.

PIE09gbLmgG6
February 17th, 2013, 09:11 PM
I'm going to disagree on the intuitiveness of win 8...

Did not enjoy my experience on it...what would be neat is if microsquish could take the millions it dropped into r&d for win 8...lock some normal people in a room for a month...pay them what they'd make in ten years...which would be cheaper than the r&d...and come out with an os that looks great...runs...and is current...

Seems everyone has an angle...even opensource...I like having control...and the worst is apple...actually read a blog where an applephite was explaining how apple doesn't allow things because you don't understand what you need...basically everyone is too dumb to know how their system should be setup...and windows just overwrites everything I tweak anyways.

Ubuntu can be unforgiving...but completely fixable...which is better than I've experienced with the other two...

I honestly am getting to a point where I want my info encrypted...available all the time...and a terminal that works...

ego-

newgnu
February 17th, 2013, 09:14 PM
The only reason that I still dual boot with windows is because I need to make sure that my papers and excel documents are formatted correctly. I may be getting a second laptop soon, which I would run fully with ubuntu.

mamamia88
February 17th, 2013, 09:25 PM
The only reason that I still dual boot with windows is because I need to make sure that my papers and excel documents are formatted correctly. I may be getting a second laptop soon, which I would run fully with ubuntu.

This might help it's basically a simpler version of office comparable to google docs that Microsoft created. Stupid name though for the life of me couldn't remember what it's called. https://skydrive.live.com/

Bupsss
February 17th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Seems everyone has an angle...even opensource...I like having control...and the worst is apple...actually read a blog where an applephite was explaining how apple doesn't allow things because you don't understand what you need...basically everyone is too dumb to know how their system should be setup...and windows just overwrites everything I tweak anyways.

Ubuntu can be unforgiving...but completely fixable...which is better than I've experienced with the other two...

I honestly am getting to a point where I want my info encrypted...available all the time...and a terminal that works...

ego-

Totally agree on the apple os.
Just yesterday I went to a friend to copy some files and just that took 3 times the standard procedure...

About the fixable... I also like the freedom I have to do everything I want and need. I simply don't understand why can't it look good on first install.
It would very easy to go on gnome-look.org, get the popular theme and install that as default.
That would help a lot to diffuse it even more.

And when a system is spread, softwares will follow automatically.

just look at android compared to iOS... now you get more apps on android than apple.

PIE09gbLmgG6
February 17th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Bupsss,

I was in a school district in CO where they were completely on apple...I imagine just the upgrading of the computers to the new plugs...is going to be a monetary nightmare for a district that currently can't afford desks let alone tech...

ego-

R3dW00t
February 17th, 2013, 09:53 PM
On this topic i'd say, i'm "kinda" completely switched to Linux.

What i mean by this is that i have a desktop or 2 running Ubuntu and the desktops for my kids, running windows. (they'll have to use windows for now, as the school never heard of Ubuntu or linux. I've tried to explain to the local tech, but he looked at me like i was talking about sorcery... XD)

Oh well, they'll pick up eventually.
But these days, i find myself using the Linux desktops more then the others.
I still think though it's a good idea to have both around. It keeps me alert to what is going on in both worlds, and, when one of my kids fumbles up his pc, i'll be there to the rescue...:D

RaHorakhty
February 17th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Linux has definitely improved in the past 11 yrs. There's a lot more hardware support compared to the original version. The systems are more user friendly, and the software selection keeps mounting. I don't think it will ever rule M$ Windows though. Most consumers like to use closed source systems and applications like adobe cs, matlab, ms office, and all the video games. I think its a great alternative. They have to figure out a way to integrate real virtualizaiton (Virtual Box) so it works with various apps, rather than depend on wine developers. Wine will never support 100% of the windows internal API and third party system files. Its just not possible.

mamamia88
February 17th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Linux has definitely improved in the past 11 yrs. There's a lot more hardware support compared to the original version. The systems are more user friendly, and the software selection keeps mounting. I don't think it will ever rule M$ Windows though. Most consumers like to use closed source systems and applications like adobe cs, matlab, ms office, and all the video games. I think its a great alternative. They have to figure out a way to integrate real virtualizaiton (Virtual Box) so it works with various apps, rather than depend on wine developers. Wine will never support 100% of the windows internal API and third party system files. Its just not possible.

Define most? I think gamers are in the vast minority, ms office will die a slow and painful death to stuff like google docs, adobe cs is used by corporations that deal in specific fields and some hobbyists. Most people maybe use a browser, music application, and some kind of office suite. All three of which have pretty good linux alternatives. I don't think that linux will ever dominate the corporate landscape where people need specialized apps but I think that for the average home user it is more than capable enough right now. Of course if you want to watch netflix or connect an apple device that could be a problem. But I avoid apple devices because of them forcing their propietary itunes and i have 2 devices capable of netflix connected to my tv.

monkeybrain2012
February 18th, 2013, 08:05 AM
. Most consumers like to use closed source systems and applications like adobe cs, matlab, ms office, and all the video games..
Most computer users don't use Adobe CS. There is only a very vocal minority who must have CS for work and a bunch of people who pirate it and use < 5% of its features (your regular users don't pay $700 + for it) Gamers are again a minority as pointed out. Matlab is not a common application but for those who need it (me) it runs natively in Linux.

monkeybrain2012
February 18th, 2013, 08:08 AM
hello,

sorry my english isn't so good

That is because you get the Windows version. I run Matlab natively in Linux.

Bupsss
February 19th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Just a quick update.

I did install a fresh 12.10 version.
But before doing this I did a very quick and dirty research about most of the apps (not desktop softwares) I use most on win8.

I have to say... I never really focused on it (why should have I... it worked easily on win), but I discovered that chrome apps store has pretty much most of the apps I use....

ok they don't look as good.. but they work nicely ;)

Now... I only have to find a way to get rid of unity but still keeping some of its features ;)

I think Win8... will run nicely on the virtualbox...

craig10x
February 19th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Just a quick update.

I did install a fresh 12.10 version.
But before doing this I did a very quick and dirty research about most of the apps (not desktop softwares) I use most on win8.

I have to say... I never really focused on it (why should have I... it worked easily on win), but I discovered that chrome apps store has pretty much most of the apps I use....

ok they don't look as good.. but they work nicely ;)

Now... I only have to find a way to get rid of unity but still keeping some of its features ;)

I think Win8... will run nicely on the virtualbox...

You might want to give unity a try for a while...you would be surprised how quickly it can "grow on you"...that happened to many here, including myself....i thought at first i wouldn't care for it but then spent about 2 weeks (with a positive attitude) and really got to like it a lot... ;)

The "key" thing is to put all your favorites and most used apps on the unity dock for easy "1 click" access...

ACubed10
February 20th, 2013, 05:26 AM
You might want to give unity a try for a while...you would be surprised how quickly it can "grow on you"...that happened to many here, including myself....i thought at first i wouldn't care for it but then spent about 2 weeks (with a positive attitude) and really got to like it a lot... ;)

The "key" thing to is to put all your favorites and most used apps on the unity dock for easy "1 click" access...
I completely agree with this. Unity has grown on me. Love hitting my command key on my apple keyboard and bringing up the unity search for the apps i don't use on my dock. also the command + s key to switch workspaces. Love it! ):P

Zombie Acorn
February 20th, 2013, 05:36 AM
Gaming is the main reason I keep a Windows partition, with Steam implementing support for linux I am pretty sure we will see much more focus in that area soon.

ACubed10
February 20th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Gaming is the main reason I keep a Windows partition, with Steam implementing support for linux I am pretty sure we will see much more focus in that area soon.
very true. Although I am starting to grow out of gaming a bit as I get older. The only game I play from time to time is World Golf Tour, which is a browser based golf game. Very realistic and fun :lolflag:

chauveau
February 20th, 2013, 06:51 AM
+1 since april 2006 and I switched also almost all my family sine (+6) :)

kibosh81
February 22nd, 2013, 09:33 PM
I installed Ubuntu on my desktop about 3 months ago and haven't looked back. Since then I have converted all of my machines to ubuntu and Lubuntu on one slow G4 powerbook. I had to boot windows the other day on my girlfriends machine in it blew me away how much I dislike it after such a short time away! LOL. That being said, The powerbook has been a very difficult battle. As of now I have tried several distros on it with mixed results but keep ending up with Lubuntu although even that is sub-par on PPC..... Time to pitch it I think.

Arceus Ryan
February 23rd, 2013, 03:44 AM
Hey , New guy here . I have completely moved to Linux, love it ,Tux started learning me about 2 years ago and there is no going back to windows,not a gamer , Have tried different Versions ,I'm running Backtrack 5R3 now,

trying to get a rockfish usb bluetooth adapter to work on a thinkpad z61t if anyone can help please ? ,

this is where I'm at , I tried sudo hciconfig hci0 reset.
sudo hcitool dev

I am trying to configure it or find the device with bluetooth manager but it does not discover it

Ximaceo
February 23rd, 2013, 04:45 PM
Hi folks,

I'm new on GNU/Linux, 1 month, I come with Steam to stay for a long time. :)

My PC only run Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS x64, I'm delighted with Unity.

Now I'm playing indie games. :D

rickyrockrat
February 23rd, 2013, 06:43 PM
That being said, The powerbook has been a very difficult battle. As of now I have tried several distros on it with mixed results but keep ending up with Lubuntu although even that is sub-par on PPC..... Time to pitch it I think.
Vector Linux runs great on low-resource hardware. I just don't know if they do power pc. I've run it on a pentium-200mHz with 200M of ram, and it performs great.

send2
February 24th, 2013, 12:17 AM
As much as I would love to only use Linux, I got software in windows that I do still need to run, CAD software comes to mind. Games too, WIne can do only so much :P. However, I am now hooked with Linux, it is a really neat OS and what is cool about is that it is open source, people get to collaborate with each other in a more group effort.

Also, there are so many distros, that it is cool to choose from any one of them if one is so inclined, with WIndows, there are limited options.

Hodevah
February 24th, 2013, 02:19 AM
I have also switched to Linux. I am going to get rid of Windows completely someday.

I totally love Linux and I would never look back. All I need to do now is Google for a way to triple install for Linux rather than dual boot as there are a number of Linux distros that I want to install and use.

n4pgw
February 24th, 2013, 10:34 AM
If you mean a computer that only boots Linux, I have two. A file server and this desktop. However, I have Virtualbox with several windows machines installed.

There is just some software in windows that Linux just doesn't have a competitor for. For me, its software for my Bible and for Ham Radio.

As for the file server, It is a work in progress, slow progress, I might add. I am not a computer guru with Linux. I am more than an appliance operator, but I still have a long way to go to consider myself a power user in Linux.

crummychrome
February 24th, 2013, 10:42 AM
started using Ubuntu last month from a chromebook. Always used windows before that.

n4pgw
February 24th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I successfully installed two versions of Ubuntu with Windows on one computer. I used two drives. One had windows and Ubuntu and the other had just Ubuntu, but all three were in Grub, I just had to choose which one to boot each time.

I have also been successful installing additional Linux distros on an external USB HDD. I generally used the BIOS boot options to choose to boot from it when I wanted to. I don't believe those ever got incorporated into the GRUB on my internal boot drives.

What I have not been successful with is having a single Linux system on an external HDD that can be moved to and from different computers. It would be nice to carry a pocket drive with me that I could plug into a computer at work, or at a friend's house and have my complete system, software, and data with me.

monkeybrain2012
February 24th, 2013, 11:04 AM
What I have not been successful with is having a single Linux system on an external HDD that can be moved to and from different computers. It would be nice to carry a pocket drive with me that I could plug into a computer at work, or at a friend's house and have my complete system, software, and data with me.

I have. You need to install the boot loader in the external drive.

n4pgw
February 24th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I have. You need to install the boot loader in the external drive.

Thank you.

Rather than hijack this thread with further questions, I'll start a new thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12527179#post12527179

Thank you again
Buck

Branimir
February 24th, 2013, 10:12 PM
I have wiped out Windows partitions month ago,
since I haven't booted into XP for very long time
and using NTFS partitions for my data seems awkward ;)

jasoncallaway
February 25th, 2013, 01:37 AM
I recently whacked the Windows 7 side of my Alienware m18x. The 12.10 install was a little difficult because I wanted to use software RAID. I also ran into some trouble installing my nVidia drivers because the apt dependencies were missing the relevant kernel-header source deb, but it wasn't anything I couldn't work through.

I'm a recent convert from Fedora, and so far it's awesome!

Erik1984
February 25th, 2013, 10:48 AM
I recently whacked the Windows 7 side of my Alienware m18x. The 12.10 install was a little difficult because I wanted to use software RAID. I also ran into some trouble installing my nVidia drivers because the apt dependencies were missing the relevant kernel-header source deb, but it wasn't anything I couldn't work through.

I'm a recent convert from Fedora, and so far it's awesome!

Did you try to manually install the .run file form Nvidia's website? This is not necessary in Ubuntu unless you need the newest version maybe.

KFoder
February 25th, 2013, 10:11 PM
I have been M$ free since win-3.11, have been using OS/2 for many years, have been playing with Linux on/off for many years.

Since 2006 I have mainly been using Ubuntu, still have my trusty old OS/2 tower and fire it up now and then, and my web server is OS/2 based (lots of security in obscurity ;) ), but nowadays I'm primarily for Linux, on my laptop, media centre and phone (Nokia N9/MeeGo) :)

dave2001
February 25th, 2013, 11:36 PM
I love linux, and have been using it for about 6 years now. Unfortunately I have not been able to give windows the "boot".
I still love to game, and my hardware is never cutting edge enough that I can take the performance hit from running games under wine. When more mainstream games offer native linux clients, windows will go in the trash for good.

xCAFEBABE
February 26th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Living without Windows for more than five years.

LtTuvok
February 26th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Linux user since 1994

nikonian
February 26th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Hey, you're a bit early with the April fool's jokes aren't you?

:p

apple+
February 27th, 2013, 12:43 AM
I use it in a virtual machine when I'm home and not working. I'm stuck with Win 7 for my IT job.

daflava
February 28th, 2013, 01:20 AM
When Steam releases Skyrim, New Vega$, Fallout 3, and Transformers WFC and FOC for Ubuntu then I could be persuaded...

Gaming is the last frontier. There's an antivirus and firewall app. Steam is a big step. Now where does a linux n00b go to ask far halp on how to install Tomcat? I haz a stuck. ಠ_ಠ

peyre
February 28th, 2013, 05:14 AM
When Steam releases Skyrim, New Vega$, Fallout 3, and Transformers WFC and FOC for Ubuntu then I could be persuaded...

Gaming is the last frontier. There's an antivirus and firewall app. Steam is a big step. Now where does a linux n00b go to ask far halp on how to install Tomcat? I haz a stuck. ಠ_ಠ

I see it in the repository in Synaptic, but not the Ubuntu Software Center. Use the Software Center to install Synaptic, then search for Tomcat in that. You may have to enable extra repositories in order for it to appear in Synaptic; I have them all--main, universe, restricted, and multiverse--enabled.

ntzrmtthihu777
March 2nd, 2013, 12:18 AM
As of yesterday I am win$ free, running Pinguy OS 12.04 x64 on both of my machines:

Dell Inspiron ONE2205
AMD Athlon II X2 240e Processor
4gb RAM 500gb HDD

HP Pavilion dv5
AMD Turion II P520 Dual-Core Processor x2
6gb RAM 320gb HDD

Shoalster
March 2nd, 2013, 10:03 PM
I had no choice. After installing ubuntu I can't get into windows. I transferred most files to ubuntu though and don't miss windows at all. Now I've got to figure out how to wipe windows off my disc and partition more space for ubuntu. I do miss Picasa though.

mörgæs
March 2nd, 2013, 10:19 PM
Both tasks are done (one at a time) with Gparted in a live boot. Remember a back-up.

If you need more assistance best is to post in General Help.

Nytram
March 3rd, 2013, 01:37 AM
I went from Arch back to XP because Arch wouldn't work whilst my CMOS battery was dead. I got a new battery but.. why leave XP when it does everything I want? Seriously, it's just an OS, and I'm not very idealogical when it comes to technology.

Jerry41
March 3rd, 2013, 03:21 AM
. . . I do miss Picasa though.

I'm now running triple boot Windows 7, Xubuntu 12.04, and Mint 14. I haven't looked in the Ubuntu repository, but I have Picasa version 3.0.0 for Linux running on Mint.

Bupsss
March 3rd, 2013, 08:19 AM
I went from Arch back to XP because Arch wouldn't work whilst my CMOS battery was dead. I got a new battery but.. why leave XP when it does everything I want? Seriously, it's just an OS, and I'm not very idealogical when it comes to technology.

I agree with you. I try to switch to ubuntu because i like the freedom of bending it to my needs. But everyday something happens like my gf wanting to videocall on Facebook so i have to reboot to win... and then i stick to it.

Also i do miss some windows 8 apps.

PANGERAN
March 3rd, 2013, 01:21 PM
I wish to (totally) switched to Linux (especially, ubuntu), but unfortunately, i can't...
i'm still have a trouble to connect and synchronize my android motorola xoom from ubuntu (MTP services) and it more easy from win os... and i have trouble to update BIOS firmware for my computer's mainboard.

ShadowGuardian
March 3rd, 2013, 09:26 PM
Pretty much the only things keeping me with Win7 is proprietary needs and Linux inexperience (but i am gettin' there).
Also issues running Minecraft client and servers in Ubuntu.

But i use Linux (mostly ubuntu, but tampering with Fedora) as much as I can. I REALLY hate windows.

Lupi
March 4th, 2013, 01:35 AM
I wish to (totally) switched to Linux (especially, ubuntu), but unfortunately, i can't...
i'm still have a trouble to connect and synchronize my android motorola xoom from ubuntu (MTP services) and it more easy from win os... and i have trouble to update BIOS firmware for my computer's mainboard.

I use this https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/precise/gmtp/ for my Galaxy S3. It works very well.

Vixxd
March 4th, 2013, 02:55 AM
I just spent a fair amount of money putting together a gaming PC recently so I can't see it happening anytime soon to be honest. Not to mention too many uni projects would rely on Windows!

davev984xx
March 4th, 2013, 07:03 AM
The Mac Mini is running Ubuntu Studio; the Gateway laptop is running Ubuntu 12.10 (and Bodhi Linux once in a while). The iPad is collecting dust....

Terry of Astoria
March 4th, 2013, 07:15 AM
I have about ten computers that I manage and all of them have Ubuntu as their primary OS. A few also can boot Microsoft Windows, which is an old-school OS that some of you may have heard of. Sometimes comes in handy when i want to use Itunes on an Ipod that I buy or sell here and there.

hydn79
March 4th, 2013, 07:37 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

This is why I'm so thankful for Ubuntu. I go fed up with swapping to disk, crashes and freezes with Windows on my old (then new) Thinkpad. It was cutting down on productivity. After I tried Ubuntu, that was it! I was sold, so I formatted disk and went with Ubuntu only. I don't own anything Windows anymore. Even my wife asked me to install Ubuntu on her netbook after using mine. I do wish that we could get the word out to the masses of what they are missing!

justincarter
March 4th, 2013, 09:03 AM
It's been three years since I am using Linux. I think it works great. It is more secure then windows.Linux is customizable in a way that Windows is not.

Metalpen1984
March 4th, 2013, 02:11 PM
I switch to full Linux environment since 2010, after I graduated from my master. Since then, my resume for PhD job, report, fancy-flexible plots are all made by Linux (Ubuntu 10.04).

The reason is obvious: I used an old, laggy MS Windows XP on a P-M, 768 mb ram laptop. Then I thought, why I don't replace MS XP with Ubuntu I used? Then I started with Ubuntu 10.04 without pain because I used it couple times. But it got better since I have used it.

The only days I use Windows is/was when I am gaming and worked in a IT-infrastructure department in an international corporation in 2011. You will be surprised when only 5% of us could do the linux work, and I am in the 5% of them and they are graduated from management of computer science (but I am not, I was just a poweruser). Linux is still painful for people from windows world, even for people who learn computer science. My wife has manager Unix-based Cluster/HPC before, and she is very unwilling to use Linux instead of her laggy XP or laggy Win7 as she complained about. It's painful for people who used to MS-Windows, but I think people will survive after using it as a main OS.

By the way, the people who distribute to the open source should be appreciated. Thank you!

prstine
March 4th, 2013, 02:57 PM
I have my home server as a solo Ubuntu machine but my main desktop still runs windows. I need to use certain programs that will not work on Ubuntu.

gurrunaki
March 4th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I need Photoshop, and I really tried Gimp, and I spend hours trying with it, but no, not possible, not the same even close, so, let's say that Photoshop is the only reason I must keep windows, unfortunately :(
Let's wait for Adobe if someday will allow use it in Linux...

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
March 4th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I need Photoshop, and I really tried Gimp, and I spend hours trying with it, but no, not possible, not the same even close, so, let's say that Photoshop is the only reason I must keep windows, unfortunately :(
Let's wait for Adobe if someday will allow use it in Linux...

You can run it in Wine, no?

PANGERAN
March 4th, 2013, 06:20 PM

I agreed with you... i think the main reason why some people (and me) still hard to switched totally to Linux, because game. If more game companies and developers (especially huge and famous companies like EA Games) support and make it for linux version too, i'm sure most non-linux users will be changes to linux.

For example, android... most people loves android because it so many application and games developers support it... People don't care about the os either (if i'm not wrong, android based from linux, right?) and and Windows phone os still behind android...

sda123
March 4th, 2013, 07:10 PM
I LOVE ubuntu 12.10, I use it for everything:

firefox - browser
kdenlive - vid editor
gtk-recordmydesktop/ffmpeg - screencasting
gimp - 2d art
blender - 3d art

But sadly I have a dualboot with Windows 8, I only use it for iTunes though. :P

gurrunaki
March 4th, 2013, 07:22 PM
iamkuriouspurpleoranj (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1783587), many people tried and is not stable, search and you will see the comments and results...

Hastings101
March 4th, 2013, 07:31 PM
I did for a little while a few years ago but it's too much of a pain to not have all the mainstream apps Mac OS X has available.

northar
March 4th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Did a couple of years ago, never looked back since. I'm lucky enough to also run Ubuntu at work.I don't like Mac OS at all , and Windows 8 is not for me. I like to have the power beneath the hood that only linux can give. That said, i have a virtualbox with XP at work for some office compability.

jeehyun
March 5th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Internet explorer
Games
MS Office.

I am very sad.

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
March 5th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Internet explorer
Games
MS Office.

I am very sad.

You owe it to web developers everywhere to ditch Internet Explorer :) Anyway, it's not like it offers anything other than brand familiarity.

As for games on Linux, please buy the games there are and be vocal about using them. This will increase developer interest and ultimately the range of games available.

moseley
March 5th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I have been using Linux based systems since Fedora Core 3 was released. Ubuntu is definatively what I prefer but I wish they would still support Gnome 2, not MATE. o.O I can now use Steam natively, prefer gaming under it as Linux systems are faster and alot of games use native libraries like sdl & opengl and since I could care less about having to pay for some things and enjoy protection, I can use Symantec End Point Protection natively as well, fully licensed. I do use Windows 7 Ultimate but that will cease when most of my games are ported. I also have iTunes, which the movies and a number of albums are encoded still. When I can comfortably say "OK, enough is enough" I will quit using the "Doze". ](*,)

arashi256
March 5th, 2013, 04:19 PM
I do still have a Windows Intel i7 laptop but that's just for Unity3D. If they ported that to Linux (which might happen - you can export your games to Linux at least) I'd never use Windows again. I have Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit on a little Samsung N120 netbook and Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit on my main desktop (Quad core AMD, 8GB RAM, 2TB HDD Nvidia Geforce GTX 680) and my home server runs on Fedora 17.

I'm a pretty big gamer too but with Steam just being released and the games on the Ubuntu Software Center, I'm all good :D

cactus john
March 5th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Except for flight Simulator I have made the switch a few months ago.
Love it.
Wife is not good at change in her life, so a Win box stays just for her.
Installed 12.04 on my son's old laptop, where it works flawlessly, gave it back to him and within an hour he told me to keep it as it wasn't "fluffy" enough.. whatever that means.
So, now I have a nice laptop.

Happy Camper here

PaulInBHC
March 6th, 2013, 04:03 AM
The latest unity is Linux compatible. Look at this game for example fracturedempire.net

arashi256
March 6th, 2013, 02:06 PM
The latest unity is Linux compatible. Look at this game for example fracturedempire.net

Yes - I said that you could *export* your game to Linux. If you read my post again you'll see that I'm complaining that the *development environment* isn't Linux compatible.

Asatru9
March 6th, 2013, 04:26 PM
I have completely switched over to Linux mainly due to religious/siritual reasons. What I do on my computer has not changed all that much, in fact they have grown in the things that I do and accomplish.

jazzpi
March 6th, 2013, 10:31 PM
I've nearly completely switched to Ubuntu, cause I can do more with it than with WinXP - but I still run a VM cause I'm too lazy to get AoE II running on Ubuntu :)

Atitudes
March 6th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Since 2005/2006 experimenting, never managed to get everything working fine and needed a lot of windows programs for my personal life unfortunately that still happens :(

At my personal desktop at home I've completely switched to Ubuntu about 1 year and 6 months ago and I couldn't be happier with it!!

Although I'm not very wise on computer programing, I've always been curious and always hatted the little window OS and related. I still enjoy to solve the problems I encounter in Ubuntu, and with this awesome forum we can even track the history of some solved problems. It's simply beautiful to see how many dedicated and knowledgable persons works around the world and manage to, most of the times, get very simple solutions for "huge" problems.

Cheers for all the community!

Ibrahim717
March 10th, 2013, 02:40 AM
I just made the switch from Win 7 ... i just went all in and installed 13.04 ... but Im teaching myself python also and I figured this is like droping my self of in a forgein county to learn the langue...... its working...... but trust I have my Win8 PC that I use at the same time to help trouble shoot major problems that I ran into like .... no touch pad and black screens..... My transiton has been nothing but smooth but I wouldn't have it any other way......

LArchimonde
March 10th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Hi, I started using Linux (Ubuntu 12.10) only for a few days but I already get rid off Windows completely. Sure it's a little tough+ I am not an expert, but I kind of like Ubuntu. Yes I can't play some games, but I will try to get WoW running (I hope) and that pretty much all I want out of gaming. As for why I like Ubuntu it's because of security, interface and the fact that you are learning much more than on Win(98-7). And +the community is great here. So thanks!

daldude
March 10th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Not me because 12.04 is the worst version yet biggiest piece of Crap yet, it crashes all the time and is not compatible with programs that have the option to minimize to the tray. I can't add my Minolta Magi Color 2300dl because the gnome control center keeps crashing when I try to add a network printer
Unknown Error, please report bug. More infomation is avalible in the detailed report. Query type 'postscript' is not supported.

Did not have this problem with 10.04 and the first time I installed 12.04 I don't remember having this problem, why it started doing this now is beyond me.:mad:](*,):-&[-X

Looks like it's back to Windows 7 and only using Linux for backing up my files because Windows 7's backup program @#%*!.

mörgæs
March 10th, 2013, 12:46 PM
So, did you report the bug?

mainmeister
March 10th, 2013, 03:33 PM
I was a Microsoft Developer for many years. I've quit the development rat race and have gone 100% Ubuntu for a year and a half now. I really enjoy XBMC and using the python language. I have a desktop and a laptop. On the desktop (pentium 4 3.9ghz dual core Dell) i am running Ubuntu 12.10 and on the laptop (acer inspire 1515 1.8 ghz single core) I am running lubuntu. I also have a tablet but it runs android ICS.

jittopjose
March 10th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I cannot say that I completly switched. bacause I need to run MS office communicator (for chat, call and desktop sharing) for official purpose. So i have a duel boot system with Ubuntu 12.04 and Win7. ubuntu is my primary os. Recently my wife also switched to ubuntu. So sweet home.. happy home. :)

daldude
March 10th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Where and how do I report the bug and where do I find the error report?
I did not do an upgrade I did a full install from the DVD because 10.04 does not run on SATA System.

So, did you report the bug?

jsabina1
March 10th, 2013, 10:42 PM
I was still using my macbookpro... that is officially dead now..
Lucky that I have an old laptop and installed lubuntu.
But I always used a bit linux for work.
When I will buy a new laptop for sure will not be a mac anymore..
So I can say that yes, I am only ubuntu now!

GrouchyGaijin
March 10th, 2013, 10:45 PM
I have totally switched, even have Thunderbird connecting to the Exchange server at work.

justincarter
March 12th, 2013, 06:19 AM
I have completely switched to ubuntu. During my starting i faced some issues but now its all fine. Ubuntu is working great and i got all the drivers and software for internet. PC Repair Austin (http://tristarcc.com/computer-repair/)

pinballwizard
March 12th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Can't remember if I ever posted here.
I been on Linux full time since 2006. I do on occassion use as XP VM for some things.
Unfortunately for work we were recently issued win 7 Dell's, as our financial packages only work on windows. I'm a financial advisor btw.
Oh, and I have a standaolne windows laptop that I use purely for Android hacking.

1l0vel1nux
March 26th, 2013, 02:11 AM
I want to go to solo Ubuntu 12.04 - now I have the windows XP dual boot I have seen others speak on.. xp was on it's last leg when Ubuntu came to the rescue in my case. My wife uses the Ubuntu and it is great!! and I really want to make the leap but I guess I am still a little cautious. t if I change from dual-boot will my dell still respond the same way or could it become less responsive to Ubuntu 12.04 - I guess that is my concern...

nonedrinkwater
March 26th, 2013, 11:35 AM

unfortunately there are certain programs that are exclusive to windows and mac, namely the adobe suite and programs from autodesk which i use quite a bit.

but if it's browsing, it use ubuntu, i find that linux is almost bulletproof. although i suppose anything can be hacked.

ABitTooSpicy
March 26th, 2013, 03:01 PM
I've switched about 75% of the way there. I stopped playing games a while ago so that didn't matter to me.

Things I keep around and why:

1) A windows XP VM - for one stupid work related app that only works in IE... It's a CRM application, so I go in about once a week, enter my updates
2) A windows 7 VM - when I do some remote presentations, the desktop sharing app we use doesn't work correctly in Linux, so I run the web conference from windows 7 usually
3) Wifey's Windows 8 Laptop - She needs windows for work and she's not a tech geek like me... ;)

(oh and the reason I keep 2 separate VMs in point 1 and point 2, the XP VM loads up a super fast... but the win 7 runs a lot faster once its all loaded...)

WhaleVPS
March 26th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I don't really game so switching to Linux was pretty easy for me.

abnordude
March 26th, 2013, 06:35 PM
COMPLETELY UBUNTU

No windows. HAve used it previously. Now my hard disk is filled with 1 ubuntu, 1 IT@school Edubuntu and 1 Arch Linux.
And I use all these for different purposes. And I love it. Never feel like going back to windows.

TheMTtakeover
March 27th, 2013, 12:17 AM
I have completely switched over to Linux mainly due to religious/siritual reasons. What I do on my computer has not changed all that much, in fact they have grown in the things that I do and accomplish.

You switched to Ubuntu for religious reasons? Oh please do explain. :rolleyes:

nmyrick
March 27th, 2013, 06:36 AM
I want to go to solo Ubuntu 12.04 - now I have the windows XP dual boot I have seen others speak on.. xp was on it's last leg when Ubuntu came to the rescue in my case. My wife uses the Ubuntu and it is great!! and I really want to make the leap but I guess I am still a little cautious. t if I change from dual-boot will my dell still respond the same way or could it become less responsive to Ubuntu 12.04 - I guess that is my concern...

It will run just as well, better if you consider that you won't have to select the OS every time you start your machine.

The only thing you may want to consider is if there are certain Windows specific apps that you use. Then you may want to try installing those apps on your Ubuntu and see how well they run in Wine, Cross-Over Linux or Plan-on-Linux.

I have had Ubuntu installed on my laptop solely for about 5 years, and have never had any performance issues (my laptop originally came with Vista Home Premium, so Ubuntu was a spectacular upgrade and I've never looked back!)

ionutt
March 27th, 2013, 09:06 PM
I run completely ubuntu for 3 years now, I used mandrake, fedora, debian, windows before. I also installed ubuntu server at work for 1 year now on all servers. The servers run apache, bind, sql, postfix very smoothly.

José Serra
March 31st, 2013, 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by TheMTtakeover:
You switched to Ubuntu for religious reasons? Oh please do explain.

Good question! jeje

MaxLinuxLover
March 31st, 2013, 05:29 PM
If you have problems with gaming on Linux, make a Windows Virtual Machine. Install VirtualBox from the ubuntu software center, make a new virtual machine, set its specs, and install windows. Then you can stay with Linux and still be a gamer.

starlyte2
March 31st, 2013, 10:17 PM
Never had anything else. I built my first PC, was broke. Started with Mandrake, and now I use a Ubuntu version of PuppyLinux, LucidPup-528. Tried the Precise Puppy version, but for the moment I prefer this Lucid one. Habits die hard. I'm going to try out Arch Pup for my new server, but it is complicated in comparison.

rmcellig
April 1st, 2013, 12:21 AM
Puppy Linux 5.2.8 I think is my all time favorite Linux distro. I try and use other ones but I keep coming back to 5.2.8. Absolutely LOVE it!! I have Icewm, Openbox, jwm and xfce as my choices. Any other good ones to try?

LArchimonde
April 2nd, 2013, 02:09 AM
I switched to Ubuntu from a Windows 7 and for this 2 months I have it I like it. Yes I am still a n00b for a Linux OS but I learned some things. It's more safer than any Microsoft OS and more stable. That's from my exp. so far. Yes on Linux it's sometimes more complicated to install a game (it's not all "next to next" button mashing :D) but I like it that way. Give you more satisfaction when you are done. Idk what else to tell only that I will never ever use Windows. Plus when I learn a little more I am thinking of installing Arch. I like the idea of building OS basically from scratch. Hope this help to convert more of people to Linux.

andan
April 3rd, 2013, 06:24 PM
Unfortunately still holding a win 7 version on one of partitions. I used it idk maybe 4 times in last year but still some software just doesn't offer what I need in open source world, thus the hold of win copy for now, I'm not fan of wine thus reason why dual boot is better solution for me. I quite new on ubuntu, first distro i installed was 9.10, but at time was not convinced With 12.04 i somehow returned to ubuntu and started to work on, and use regularly only ubuntu. However my wifes laptop hold a copy of xp in dual boot with mint and so far she did not start up xp neither once :)

dfpd62
April 4th, 2013, 12:29 AM
I started using Free BSD about 1998, switched to Ubuntu around 2001, haven't looked back, just installed 12.10 64bit.
my guilty secret is that I have win xp installed under virtualbox to run a couple of apps.
dont know anyone running windows who hasn't had a virus or some kind or hack......:)
Dread the thought of Windows 8, the more I hear of it, the less I want to have anything to do with it.

Moose
April 4th, 2013, 12:55 AM
If you have problems with gaming on Linux, make a Windows Virtual Machine. Install VirtualBox from the ubuntu software center, make a new virtual machine, set its specs, and install windows. Then you can stay with Linux and still be a gamer.

Do you have an idea how much resources that would chew up? && If it's a hardware/drivers issue, Virtualbox won't do anything.

songtothesirens
April 4th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Complete switch. Still need one MS program......bummer.:(

Algus
April 5th, 2013, 04:54 AM
If you count Chrome OS and Android (you should since they both use a Linux core), I'm entirely a Linux user now. I do still have a gaming PC on my desktop with Windows 7 on an SSD but it has been down for several months and I'm not particularly inclined to fix it. I've logged very few hours on Windows 7 overall and haven't even touched Windows 8.

I don't miss Windows at all.

Lyfang
April 5th, 2013, 09:28 AM
@dfpd62: Ubuntu 4.10 (released on 20 October 2004) was the first release of Ubuntu.

Asatru9
April 5th, 2013, 05:30 PM
You switched to Ubuntu for religious reasons? Oh please do explain. :rolleyes:

Well, if you are going to be sarcastic about it...but I will anyway.

I follow a religious path which in part states the sharing of information & knowledge is beneficial for all peoples, Alien or Germanic. It isn't Ubuntu specific (it just happened that Ubuntu was the GNU/Linux distro where I encountered zero issues installing), more like being an open culture where the freedom to exchange ideas and know how is encouraged, for example the GPL and Creative Commons licenses. Things which are proprietary and closed (software code, file formats, walled ecosystems etc.) are things that are not healthy and should be avoided as much as possible until it affects your quality of life or job. GNU/Linux happened to be the operating system I discovered thus far which has the most openness.

Exercise, meditation, creativity, rhythm, self defense, preparedness & being healthy are other things that are part of the path but of course there is MUCH more to it than that.

Now some people may assume that I am a part of the FSF or whatever but that would be an inaccurate assumption on their part. The idea of only nonproprietary is overall good although when you have companies like Microsoft or Amazon or Apple it's simply not going to happen unless they see the benefits as outweighing the costs. Or the corporate culture shifts to encouage nonproprietary things. Take blacksmithing for example if someone discovers how to smith a better sword should they share it with the world? Yes of course (they should share it with an apprentice before they die for example), once they have made a fair amount of money they should share it with anyone and everyone afterwards his skill and reputation for fairness should still have people coming back.

oldschoolgentoo
April 5th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Since 1996 First install was Redhat 6.0 might even have it still around. picked up Caldera at a linux expo with other tux related items. Have had many different distros Debian,FreeBSD(before M$ bought it sometime in 1997) Gentoo, Knoppix, Ubuntu 6.0.06 LTS, just upgraded to 12.04 LTS from 10.04 LT. Lots of changes since the CLI (command Line Interface). Not to mention the sizes of Drives these days.

Now introducing Kid to Linux.

I have only one use for a XP laptop and its to update my Garmin Devices for work. everything else is a Nix Box.

and yes i installed Linux using 8 or 9 floppy disks at one time not a CD or USB

Lot has changed...... :(

haqking
April 5th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Since 1996 First install was Redhat 6.0

Good trick, but 6.0 didnt come out until 1999 ;)

peace

whyisdaskyblue
April 6th, 2013, 06:12 PM
I made the full switch to Ubuntu a month ago, mostly because I wanted to be more familiar with Linux for my job. Ubuntu seemed so refined with the details, and the few I didn't like I could find ways to change.
But getting rid of Windows 100% doesn't seem possible for me, so I installed VirtualBox and used my Acronis backup to restore the image in VB. It works great! Windows 7/MS Office 2010 freaks because it detects a hardware change and my licenses had to be re-confirmed online. I gave Win7 1GB and 1cpu on my system with a quad core and 8GB RAM, no issues with resources, I may actually bump up the Win7 resources I assign it because Office + another app chews up RAM.
Doing games on Windows can be tricky, you have to install the extra experiemental DirectX package and performance is not what I would call steller.

leunam12
April 6th, 2013, 11:17 PM
I switched to Ubuntu two years ago; the learning curve was steep, but I feel comfortable now doing pretty much anything. I still keep Windoze 7 on my Desktop and Windoze 8 on my laptop, but I rarely use them. I still use windoze programs under wine like MS Word (sorry, but I still don't feel comfortable with LibreOffice, I will give it another try soon, but last time I used it chocked with a simple 250 page document), TheWord (Bible software), e-Sword (another Bible software... I wish there was a decent Bible application for Linux.), and Photoshop (I wish it was a little less buggy on wine, but it works most of the time for what I use it at home).

meowhead
April 7th, 2013, 07:25 AM
I have an old dell desktop and was pretty much forced to dump XP, completely, so here I am. I've been using windows since 1998 and was happily using XP and W7 up until yesterday(still use W7 on laptop). Oh dear. I don't know what I am doing but I will learn along the way. Having trouble getting my home/local network set up. Satellite internet w/ a cisco router.

sammiev
April 7th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I have an old dell desktop and was pretty much forced to dump XP, completely, so here I am. I've been using windows since 1998 and was happily using XP and W7 up until yesterday(still use W7 on laptop). Oh dear. I don't know what I am doing but I will learn along the way. Having trouble getting my home/local network set up. Satellite internet w/ a cisco router.

Welcome meowhead and start a new thread with your problems and computer specs. I'm sure you will find the help that you need. :)

RyeMan
April 7th, 2013, 05:30 PM
I still have windows vista contaminating my pc (that's the way it feels anyway) for two programs I need. One is Quickbooks Win95 edition and Electrical Estimator (I'm an Electrical Contractor). Otherwise, I use Lubuntu. Started with Ubuntu a few years ago but like the faster, lighter Lubuntu better, especially for my somewhat older pc.

Even though Linux is far superior to Windows in my opinion, I haven't been able to find a file search as easy or as effective as Windows Explorer. The same can be said for Nero, the DVD/CD burning software.

dillonboardman
April 7th, 2013, 05:42 PM
I still have Windows on my computer just in case I need to use a program that refuses to work on Linux. I use Linux for everything else though. There really isn't anything that I miss about using Windows.

peyre
April 7th, 2013, 05:43 PM
I still have windows vista contaminating my pc (that's the way it feels anyway) for two programs I need. One is Quickbooks Win95 edition and Electrical Estimator (I'm an electrician). Otherwise, I use Lubuntu. Started with Ubuntu but like the faster, lighter Lubuntu better.

Even though Linux is far superior to Windows in my opinion, I haven't been able to find a file search as easy or as effective as Windows Explorer. The same can be said for Nero, the DVD/CD burning software.

You're right about search; it's not as good as it is in Windows. I've found Catfish excellent though, for file search. It comes standard on Xubuntu now, but on Lubuntu you might still have to add it. Also install Thunar. Open Thunar, and go to Edit, Configure custom actions. Hit Add, and use this for the Command: catfish --path=%f Be sure to go to Appearance Conditions and check all the boxes. Now, in Thunar at least (but unfortunately not PCManFM), when you right-click on a folder you'll be able to open a context-sensitive search window.

For searching within files, install Searchmonkey. It doesn't accept path information, though, so the context-sensitive thing isn't an option; you'll have to open it from the Applications menu and tell it where to search.

RyeMan
April 7th, 2013, 06:55 PM
I've found Catfish excellent though, for file search.

I'll give it a try, thanks!

leunam12
April 8th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Even though Linux is far superior to Windows in my opinion, I haven't been able to find a file search as easy or as effective as Windows Explorer. The same can be said for Nero, the DVD/CD burning software.I used to complain about searching in Linux until I learned how to use find (with exec), grep, and locate, now I wish I had those commands in windoze. That's the thing about Linux it turns you into a geek.

RyeMan
April 8th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Actually, I've found "find" in Dolphin to be pretty good. What is grep, and locate?

GrouchyGaijin
April 8th, 2013, 03:18 PM

For searching I use this in my bash_aliases file:

read -p "Searching for: " search_string; find / -name "$search_string" 2>/dev/null'
I have the alias myfind. See the screenshot below:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23115609/myfind-pride-results.png

I typed myfind in the terminal and then the command asked me Find what?
I typed in *Pride*
Moments later it had found all the files with the word Pride in the name.
They all happen to be music files stored on an external hard drive.

I also been using the command line to rip/burn DVDs. That explanation would take much longer than this thread's topic will allow.
If you are interested send me a private message and I'll send you the notes I have saved for making DVDs.

peyre
April 8th, 2013, 04:25 PM
I used to complain about searching in Linux until I learned how to use find (with exec), grep, and locate, now I wish I had those commands in windoze. That's the thing about Linux it turns you into a geek.

There is of course dir /s in Windows, letting you do recursive searches--but it's true, no grep or locate equivalent at the command line that I know of...natively, that is. There's always grep for Windows (http://qnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/grep.htm), but it's an add-on.

RyeMan, grep lets you search for text within files (basically a command-line equivalent of searching for files containing text _____ in Windows search). Locate does the same for finding text within databases, I think.

leunam12
April 9th, 2013, 11:20 AM
For searching I use this in my bash_aliases file:

read -p "Searching for: " search_string; find / -name "$search_string" 2>/dev/null'
That is a very neat trick! I didn't know the '2>/dev/null' trick, clever! Can you pipe it to a 'more' command?

superdope01
April 11th, 2013, 04:59 AM
I have been completely on Linux since 2008 and will never go back. I still have windows installed on two of my computers, but it's been so long since I booted it, I don't know why. Few things make me happier than wiping windows off a hdd and installing Linux.

Toxic64
April 11th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Hi,

I was wondering what kind of a question this was.
Just asking that IMO is a huge misconception of what computing really is about. (no offense intended)

I mean I gave it serious thoughts and what first comes to mind is another question: How do you use your computer(s)?
Just asking this questions will give the clues about what you really need and what you need is what best suits your use.

Ubuntu is a great system but it still lacks things you could do with windows or OSX, It also has things the laters can't do or just don't handle well. plus Ubuntu is free.

But what suits your use best is not necessarily a question of price.

I personnaly have a laptop running precice and a server also running precise but the computer from which I write this post is Win7 and it will probably stay this way
I mainly use my Win7 for gaming, photoshop, C# or asp.net dev etc... some of you will say wine or play on linux, gimp, mono...sweet illusion.

Grubbie
April 12th, 2013, 12:40 PM
My son convinced me to switch to Ubuntu after watching me pull my hair out over another Windows failure about 4 years ago and I can honestly say I've never looked back. I now know a lot more about operating systems than I ever had with Windows....I do , however still consider myself green compared to many of the long time linux users. I'm generally very impressed with most Linux / Ubuntu users because they (we) seem to enjoy the knowledge gained from the experience of running an OS like Ubuntu. I love Ubuntu!

nmyrick
April 12th, 2013, 11:06 PM
My son convinced me to switch to Ubuntu after watching me pull my hair out over another Windows failure about 4 years ago and I can honestly say I've never looked back. I now know a lot more about operating systems than I ever had with Windows....I do , however still consider myself green compared to many of the long time linux users. I'm generally very impressed with most Linux / Ubuntu users because they (we) seem to enjoy the knowledge gained from the experience of running an OS like Ubuntu. I love Ubuntu!

One thing I really love about Ubuntu is that when you have an issue, you can search the issue and generally the first thing that comes up in your search is a post in one of the main Ubuntu forums that is a 'how to' on fixing the issue. Unlike Windows, where when you search an issue, you immediately get fifty posts trying to sell you or get you to download some virus protection or registry clean-up software (that may contain viruses themselves)!

dandroid13
April 14th, 2013, 04:06 AM
After searching for almost one year, I still didn't found an easy way to program my FPGA board using Ubuntu. Only found some crazy scripts but none of them works with my model... With Win7 it's just a few clicks away.

apollothethird
April 21st, 2013, 04:12 PM
Hi,

Just asking that IMO is a huge misconception of what computing really is about. (no offense intended)

I mean I gave it serious thoughts and what first comes to mind is another question: How do you use your computer(s)?
Just asking this questions will give the clues about what you really need and what you need is what best suits your use.

Ubuntu is a great system but it still lacks things you could do with windows or OSX, It also has things the laters can't do or just don't handle well. plus Ubuntu is free.

I personnaly have a laptop running precice and a server also running precise but the computer from which I write this post is Win7 and it will probably stay this way
I mainly use my Win7 for gaming, photoshop, C# or asp.net dev etc... some of you will say wine or play on linux, gimp, mono...sweet illusion.

Actually I believe most people use the computer for mostly the same thing. So if a person was using Linux for that purpose, they could be very satisfied. Reading your post, I believe that has more to do with what a person is used to. Since you're more familiar and accustomed to Windows, when you view Linux, you're looking for some type of Windows clone, or Windows method. The OS' are different.

Since you're familiar with Windows, as per your message. you're running Windows games, which as you mentioned might not cooperate well with Linux. If you wanted games, and not the specific Windows games you're looking for, then you'd find Games in Linux. They are different. Also, you would never have got stuck with having Games that required Windows in the first place.

You get much better performance with Linux native games under Linux than you get with Windows native games under Windows. So if you really liked games, you could find games under Linux that would actually perform substantially better.

If Windows is what you're looking for, then of course, you'll be stuck with Windows. Windows run Windows better than Linux. If it's an OS and applications that you're looking for, Linux runs applications designed for Linux better, and you'd best get Linux. If you think of the task rather than the specific application, Linux wins by far.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

apollothethird
April 21st, 2013, 04:36 PM
I still have windows vista contaminating my pc (that's the way it feels anyway) for two programs I need. One is Quickbooks Win95 edition and Electrical Estimator (I'm an Electrical Contractor). Otherwise, I use Lubuntu. Started with Ubuntu a few years ago but like the faster, lighter Lubuntu better, especially for my somewhat older pc.

Hi, RyeMan. I don't know what Electrical Estimator does, but would be surprised that if I didn't know all the details, I couldn't find something under Linux that actually functioned better.

As far as Quickbooks, I believe GnuCash is better. Whether it's better or not, it has all the functionality that you need in running a business.

It's not Quickbooks, so if you were interested in it, it might take a little devotion of time to learn it. Much like it took you a while to learn Quickbooks initially.

The double entry fundamentals that comes from what accountants learned when in college is great.

I see others have introduced you to various file search features that outshines Windows file search by far, such as "locate" and "find" (combined with "egrep") and other commands that can be combined.

I can find just about anything in my 5 terabyte system within seconds using a combination of those commands. It would take hours to find what I need in Windows if I were tying to do that under Windows.

Also, Ubuntu has the native Unity search utility that does much like what you're familiar with in Windows explorer, and more.

When I need something on a Windows system I usually perform a "dir /s" and output it to a file. Then I copy that file to my Linux machine and use egrep to locate what I need. It's extra steps to get the directory listings over to Linux, but it's the only way I can have access to the robust search functionality of Linux.

If you have problems finding something in your Linux system I would like to encourage you to post a message in one of the threads for assistance. I'm sure you'd be surprised at how easy it becomes to find things under Linux after you've tested some of the functionality, which happens to be different, yet substantially better than Windows.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

nerdyme
April 21st, 2013, 07:42 PM
I have my PC in dual boot mode. So, Windows was previously set as default OS. It always opens up when I even don't want to work on it. But now I am using Linux. Still I switch on windows for MS Office only because I can work in it little faster. I am trying to achieve pace in working in Libre Office...:KS

rickyrockrat
April 21st, 2013, 07:55 PM
You can completely customize Libre office - menus, shortcuts, etc. If you take the time to customize Libre, there will be very little difference between MS and Libre.

rickyrockrat
April 21st, 2013, 07:56 PM
After searching for almost one year, I still didn't found an easy way to program my FPGA board using Ubuntu. Only found some crazy scripts but none of them works with my model... With Win7 it's just a few clicks away. If you are still looking, I've got a good Jtag programming hardware/software native to Linux. I'm a hardware designer, been doing it on Linux for years now.

rickyrockrat
April 21st, 2013, 08:00 PM
Hi,

For me, Linux is about choice. I don't have to upgrade to windows X when microsoft decides it needs another trillion dollars, I don't have to upgrade to office xxx when they decide I have to. For me, it is about control. I decide what the heck I want to run, not some company making money off of me. The same goes for Apple, who in many ways is worse and forces you to upgrade your hardware.

If you prefer to have companies tell you what is good for you to their benefit, then by all means continue to support them with your money.

BandP
April 23rd, 2013, 07:58 PM
I just switched to Ubuntu....I accidentally deleted Windows 7 while installing Ubuntu 12.04...

RyeMan
April 23rd, 2013, 09:15 PM
I just switched to Ubuntu....I accidentally deleted Windows 7 while installing Ubuntu 12.04...

Congratulations!

monkeybrain2012
April 23rd, 2013, 09:48 PM

High five! :P

craig10x
April 23rd, 2013, 10:07 PM
No loss...unless you still want windows :D

BandP
April 24th, 2013, 12:40 AM
I mean I would like to have Windows...I guess it's not really the end of the world. Here's my story for anyone who cares.

-1 year ago I bought a $270 new Asus.
-Windows 7 was so slow on it and I knew Ubuntu would make it a little quicker
-I tried to install with both but for whatever reason Ubuntu wouldn't boot.
-I messed up the partitions and now Windows 7 is gone for good.

Pros:
-My laptop is SOOO much quicker and smoother.
-Video loads quicker and is crisper
-I don't play PC games so I could care less about that

Cons:
-LibreOffice ... hear me out... It works FINE for me. I go to a University in Philly so I have a lot of papers I need to write. Libre works great. The issue is that I tend to write papers at home then edit them at school during breaks or when I'm staying with my GF in the city. When I open a Libre formatted paper the format always comes out messed up. Very annoying and makes me worry about emailing papers anyone else.
-Netflix, what the hell...BOOOOO
-iTunes to sync my media with.

Aside from that Ubuntu 12.04 is GREAT. It's like I have a new laptop. I feel like this OS looks much more, modern? Better fonts, Unity Toolbar, ect.

Any tips or tricks I should know about ... maybe apps?

apollothethird
April 24th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I mean I would like to have Windows...I guess it's not really the end of the world. Here's my story for anyone who cares.

-1 year ago I bought a $270 new Asus.
-Windows 7 was so slow on it and I knew Ubuntu would make it a little quicker
-I tried to install with both but for whatever reason Ubuntu wouldn't boot.
-I messed up the partitions and now Windows 7 is gone for good.

Pros:
-My laptop is SOOO much quicker and smoother.
-Video loads quicker and is crisper
-I don't play PC games so I could care less about that

Cons:
-LibreOffice ... hear me out... It works FINE for me. I go to a University in Philly so I have a lot of papers I need to write. Libre works great. The issue is that I tend to write papers at home then edit them at school during breaks or when I'm staying with my GF in the city. When I open a Libre formatted paper the format always comes out messed up. Very annoying and makes me worry about emailing papers anyone else.
-Netflix, what the hell...BOOOOO
-iTunes to sync my media with.

Aside from that Ubuntu 12.04 is GREAT. It's like I have a new laptop. I feel like this OS looks much more, modern? Better fonts, Unity Toolbar, ect.

Any tips or tricks I should know about ... maybe apps?

Netfix works well under Linux (wine). So Well, it appears to be Linux native.

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/ehoover_compholio_netflix

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames (http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames)

dandroid13
April 25th, 2013, 04:21 AM
If you are still looking, I've got a good Jtag programming hardware/software native to Linux. I'm a hardware designer, been doing it on Linux for years now.
Apparently Adept works on Linux, so I just need something like Xilinx ISE.

koffee
April 25th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Will openGL evolve and become game developers platform of choice? Technology shouldn't be monoplolized *cough* microsoft and apple...

koffee
April 25th, 2013, 08:16 AM
If Ubuntu didn't boot, what distro did you end up with? I never had any problems with my iPod using Amarok or Rythmbox, you have to jnstall iPod drivers. I'm not sure about iPhone support..but there's probably something. Also I've heard netflix is coming to linux http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2011/05/10/netflix-finally-coming-to-linux-and-chrome-os/

Did you save your documents as office 97-2003 format using "SAVE AS" (as I'm sure Libre lets you) or office 2012? Saving it as a 2012 document and then trying to open it in a 97-2003 only software may mess it up.

koffee
April 25th, 2013, 08:19 AM
High five! :P

Yeah! That's what I say! Though I'm sure he thinks he messed up his PC. Which isn't true, he's saved it!

pascalfares
April 25th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Completely Linux never windows

dpechiu
April 28th, 2013, 06:59 AM
I've started using unix in 1998. I've started using Ubuntu in 2008, at work. In 2009 I installed it on my personal laptop and use it exclusively. My desktop still has Windows but don't use it very much. I use a Playstation 3 for gaming, so no need for a Windows machine for that here. I can do everything faster and more reliably in Ubuntu. I will never install a new version of Windows...

GrouchyGaijin
April 28th, 2013, 08:07 AM
I've started using unix in 1998. I've started using Ubuntu in 2008, at work.

What kind of cool job do you have? I'm envious ;-)

pacpod
April 29th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Third year med student and just made the complete switch from mac (early 2011 MBP) --> Ringtail today. I should have done it long before now. I'm still fanagling with the wifi but I'm happy with my decision. :)

rmcellig
April 29th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Good for you! I was a diehard Mac user until I discovered Linux a couple of years ago. Haven't regretted the switch to Linux at all. Love it!!

dpechiu
April 29th, 2013, 10:26 PM
What kind of cool job do you have? I'm envious :wink:

I'm an electrical engineer. All semiconductor design tools are unix/linux based. When you want to run a 2 week simulation, you don't want to run the risk of getting any blue screens :)

mayoman
May 3rd, 2013, 08:14 PM
I'm an electrical engineer. All semiconductor design tools are unix/linux based. When you want to run a 2 week simulation, you don't want to run the risk of getting any blue screens :)

In fairness I found Xp to be a very stable and reliable OS (and I have been involved with all windows versions since 95). But now that Microsoft is killing it off I have made the jump myself (at home anyway).
I'm amazed there isn't a bigger movement out there of people refreshing their old windows PCs with Linux. The shock I had at how easy it was to install, the pleasure I had at how it sped my PC up, and (for the Lubuntu desktop), how comfortable I was using it straight off.

peyre
May 3rd, 2013, 09:40 PM
In fairness I found Xp to be a very stable and reliable OS (and I have been involved with all windows versions since 95). But now that Microsoft is killing it off I have made the jump myself (at home anyway).
I'm amazed there isn't a bigger movement out there of people refreshing their old windows PCs with Linux. The shock I had at how easy it was to install, the pleasure I had at how it sped my PC up, and (for the Lubuntu desktop), how comfortable I was using it straight off.

I echo your sentiments. I made the jump back when the whole Vista debacle was at its height, and I swore I'd never "up"grade to it, but realized I had to do something since XP's days were numbered. That prompted me to do what I'd always kind of wanted to do and switch to Linux instead. I don't regret it. But I am continually frustrated by each new release breaking sh*t that worked just fine in the previous version (or which I had managed to get working somehow in the previous version). This time around, for instance, 13.04 just isn't playing right with my nVidia graphics card and my keyboard commands (this is Xubuntu), such as alt-F2 to enter the name of a program to run, just stopped working suddenly for no apparent reason.

GrouchyGaijin
May 3rd, 2013, 09:50 PM
. But I am continually frustrated by each new release breaking sh*t that worked just fine in the previous version (or which I had managed to get working somehow in the previous version).

That is exactly why I'm sticking with 12.04. I finally have the system set up just the way I want it (again). I decided no more rides on the merry-go-round.

I have a Windows 7 laptop that the office issued for me to use. It gathers dust. (OK, I use it when I have to make a PDF since Acrobat is installed and a few people have had problems with PDFs I've made on my Ubuntu machine.)

I like to think of the Windows machine as a car I am forced to drive once in a while, while my Ubuntu machine is the one I like to joy ride in.

RyeMan
May 4th, 2013, 12:48 AM
But I am continually frustrated by each new release breaking sh*t that worked just fine in the previous version

I'm always a little leery when there is an update. On my HP laptop, the blue wifi light started blinking right after an update and has never stopped. I finally put a piece of electrical tape over it. And I've noticed that it takes longer to boot now. When I first installed Lubuntu about a year & a half ago it was super fast. Don't get me wrong though, Linux is a much better system. :)

jebasan
May 4th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I have used Linux since 2000 when I used to work in IT area. In 2004 I have switched my laptop to Ubuntu and never had any problemwith it. just keep getting new version everytime. At work, i need the kids OS (Win7) because of the franchise work for. even then, i have my Ubuntu in Laptop and working great.

Highland23
May 4th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I switched from Windows NT / 98 / 2000 some years ago due to the many problems that M$-Stuff gave me. I started with installing SuSe, used it for a couple of years, then tried out BSD-Unix, tried out Yellow-Dog on a mac and ended up running BSD, SuSe, Mint, Ubuntu and currently Gentoo on different machines.
I must say i rarely have to reinstall linux, just only when i made a mistake which i knew it could be risky. My uptime ist in years range...
I love linux for the freedom and the onboard tools you can use when rescuing files or the overall design which prvents data loss and the possibility to fire up linux from runlevel 1 when troubles are found and corrected. thanks to linus and the community!

larrychisholm
May 5th, 2013, 05:00 PM
I am trying to move to Ubuntu. I am a diabetic and the Bayer software I need. I am hoping to get wine to work with this and then I can move from Windows 7

GrouchyGaijin
May 5th, 2013, 05:03 PM
I am trying to move to Ubuntu. I am a diabetic and the Bayer software I need. I am hoping to get wine to work with this and then I can move from Windows 7

@larrychisholm If WINE doesn't work out, you could set up a virtual machine and run it through that.

larrychisholm
May 5th, 2013, 09:58 PM
GG right now I am using Virtual
Box to run Ubuntu. works ok. I could also set up a xp machine to run the meter.
I have run Bayer Glucofacts thru wine and get almost there. it has problems with Java I think.
using a trial of another wine type to see if it will work better but struggling with tar files and how to put them into ubuntu and getting the right location.
keeps me off the street.
Larry

monkeybrain2012
May 5th, 2013, 11:12 PM
GG right now I am using Virtual
Box to run Ubuntu. works ok. I could also set up a xp machine to run the meter.
I have run Bayer Glucofacts thru wine and get almost there. it has problems with Java I think.
using a trial of another wine type to see if it will work better but struggling with tar files and how to put them into ubuntu and getting the right location.
keeps me off the street.
Larry

I think he means using vbox to run Windows in Ubuntu so you can use your Windows software, not the other way around. Sorry if I misunderstand, based on your descriptions it sounds like you are doing Windows -> Ubuntu in vbox inside WIndows -> your software with WINE inside Ubuntu which is installed in vbox inside WIndows.

VietCanada
May 6th, 2013, 10:59 AM
echo 2. I switched to Ubuntu as soon as I became aware that it could be installed without possessing an advanced Computer Science degree. I was tired of all the work needed to secure my system with an MS OS. Not to mention the cost, the fact that it never really worked properly. But now I am seeing issues with Ubuntu. Number 11 broke my way of using a PC. For about a decade I have been able to play a game on one screen while watching a movie on another. It's called seperate X screens. I went to Mate 13. But Mate 14 has the same problem. I can find no solutions online. No discussions of the problem and what's being done to fix it. When I complain I am told that 'Unity is the future!' basically I'm being told to grow up and get over it. Very, very insulting. I don't like MS 8 but if as my primary use for a computer is degraded by loss of functionality which is most bizzarly referred to as moving into the future then I must reconsider. I have reasons for using my PC. I will use the OS that most allows me to do what I want to do on the system that I paid for. FOSS is a great idea. I believe it is the future but irresponsible, ill considered changes for change's sake are never the future. They are the lessons from the past unlearned coming back to haunt a new generation.

sireangelus
May 6th, 2013, 12:44 PM
give me star trek online and league of legends on linux and i will stop using windows altogheter..

larrychisholm
May 6th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Yes windows 7 is my host. then VB is running Ubuntu and then I am trying Crossover 12.2 on a trial basis to see if it will run Bayer Gluc. I am having problems with installing Java which is needed for the Bayer windows app.

hlarsick
May 6th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I've been running Linux exclusively for the last 5+ years. I do have Windows 7 loaded as a VM guest only for certain work requirements. I even given up my Mac to run Ubuntu

monkeybrain2012
May 6th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Yes windows 7 is my host. then VB is running Ubuntu and then I am trying Crossover 12.2 on a trial basis to see if it will run Bayer Gluc. I am having problems with installing Java which is needed for the Bayer windows app.

Wow you have an unnecessarily complicated, Russian doll like set up. If you need only one Windows program then why not just get rid of Windows, install Ubuntu as your only OS and then set up WIn in Vbox for that one program? On the other hand if you stick with Windows you can just run that program in Windows. There is no need for WINE in either scenario (net alone in a nested way)

Check WIne's compatibility list at WIneHQ. Some Windows programs work well in WIne, but many don't or just partially.If you have a very complicated program and it is essential to you WIne is probably not a reliable route to go, Virtualization would make a lot more sense (since evidently your hardware has no performance issue with it)

MicahtheDangerous
May 7th, 2013, 06:30 AM
I made the switch entirely to linux. I ordered a Toshiba with some decent specs, the most appealing being the <4 lb weight and the 32 gig SSD. It had windows 8, which gave me all kinds of problems with wubi. I found the never-ever-hit-this-button-it'll-erase-everything-and-you'll-be-sorry button and hit it. I started from scratch and have been painfully getting all the features set back up. It was worth it. The world of computing should be open source. I made the switch out of principle. I know almost nothing about computers. Slowly learning though.

osaeris
May 8th, 2013, 10:30 AM
The last hurdle was Lightworks. Now the Linux Beta (http://www.lwks.com) is out my XP partition is dead and gone.

cgaie
May 8th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Ubuntu 12.04 was not very good with my graphics card. Installed 13.04 and it is excellent;it support my graphics card. Still on dual boot with widows 8, only for one reason. Lack of proper dvd ripper in ubuntus like DVD fab to rip dvds
Love everything else

monkeybrain2012
May 8th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Still on dual boot with widows 8, only for one reason. Lack of proper dvd ripper in ubuntus like DVD fab to rip dvds
Love everything else

??? Have you tried handbrake?

Beast12
May 8th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Switched completly to linux. No more windows for me :-). And I'm totaly not a gamer, so for me there isn't anything I can't do on my linux machine.
My Kids also got a laptop with linux on it. But for them and my wife I created a VM on y server with a Windows 7.

cgaie
May 8th, 2013, 08:29 PM
I use handbrake and it is pretty good but it doesn't rip encrypted DVDs

monkeybrain2012
May 8th, 2013, 08:48 PM
I use handbrake and it is pretty good but it doesn't rip encrypted DVDs

It does.

cgaie
May 8th, 2013, 08:53 PM
It works for some encryptions but no for all. It doesn't rip latest dvds.

monkeybrain2012
May 8th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Can you play those DVDs? I think access to encrypted dvds is based on libdvdcss2. If you can play them you should be able to rip them

Make sure you install handbrake from its ppa, the 'official' repo version is old and/or have some functions disabled.
https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archive/handbrake-snapshots

There is also a free as beer (cost 0 but not open source) solution
http://www.makemkv.com/

It rips fast and uses very little cpu but doesn't compress (like handbrake) so you get huge mkv files
The linux version is in their forum page.

craig10x
May 8th, 2013, 09:22 PM
If you have libdvdcss2 installed (from the medibuntu repos) then you should be able to make a copy of an encrypted dvd using k3b...probably won't work in Brasero...
I've taken encrypted dvds and k3b removed the encryption and made a non-encrypted copy for me...

monkeybrain2012
May 8th, 2013, 09:24 PM
If you have libdvdcss2 installed (from the medibuntu repos) then you should be able to make a copy of an encrypted dvd using k3b...probably won't work in Brasero...
I've taken encrypted dvds and k3b removed the encryption and made a non-encrypted copy for me...

Well how did you install k3b? The Ubuntu version (including ppas) is not compiled with libdvdread so it can't rip dvd (it can copy to an iso but can't rip as far as I know)I always compile k3b from source with libdvdread so it can rip dvds but handbrake is much better (among other things k3b only rips to .avi).

EDITED: but then I haven't been installing k3b from repo since 10.04, maybe it works now.

craig10x
May 8th, 2013, 09:57 PM
I'm able to make a direct copy to copy in k3b from an encrypted dvd (although libdvdcss2 has to be installed before you do it)...not sure if it would work any other way then the copy to copy method...
It removes the encryption and then make a direct (non encypted) copy for you...And does it very smoothly...but keep in mind, i am talking about a direct copy and not shrinking the size, converted the file or any other stuff...

I always install k3b (yeah, i know it brings in a bunch of kde stuff with it but it's worth it) as i find it to be the best dvd burner for linux...Brasero just doesn't work very well, i have found...
And i install from the ubuntu software center... been doing that since ubuntu 11.10 and it always works for me :D

monkeybrain2012
May 8th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Yes, direct copying would work, but ripping into a file won't because the version is not compiled against libdvdread. For ripping you need to compile from source against libdvdread.

Anakondarh
May 10th, 2013, 08:10 PM
I LOVE how this thread's been going for almost 9 years... I wonder if OP still gets notified of every reply? :D

sammiev
May 10th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I LOVE how this thread's been going for almost 9 years... I wonder if OP still gets notified of every reply? :D

LMAO but very true! :p

sailor
May 12th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Was Linux & Mac only for quite a few years(since 2004)...spent a lot of time with Fedora & Redhat...now getting back into the linux again, still have to use a Win XP lappy for work, and my main machine is Win 7. Have Ubuntu on my own laptop along with Win 7. This laptop may become all linux soon but I am still trying different distros.

osirisgothra
May 14th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I've switched completely over since January this year. I was a MFC Internalist/COM developer, but Windows 8 is horrid (http://cowsthatgomoo.blogspot.com/2013/03/windows-8-worst-of-worst.html), it was the last straw after surviving Windows flops like 3.0, 95, ME, NT(early NT, that is) and Vista.. I have used Linux on and off since 1995 even bought redhat in 1999, but only used it a short while as all the key apps I use are in windows. Now however, most of my preferred apps are in Linux (some ONLY in linux) and any windows program that I still can't live without runs just great under Wine, which most Windows users are under the false impression that Wine is an unstable hard-to-configure Windows Emulator, when it isn't. Most of the time there is nothing to configure, and windows executables run right from the command line without even typing 'wine' thanks to the 'magic'. Started off with Ubuntu 12.10 in January... then Ubuntu 12.04 in March, I just transferred to Ubuntu Studio 13.04 and it screams... love it.

johnno56
May 15th, 2013, 01:58 AM
Several years ago....

I still like to play some old DOS games via Dosbox. I only use wine for those applications I cannot find a Ubuntu alternative.

I enjoy not having to reboot EVERY time an application/game is installed. I have enjoyed a virus free environment now for years. Woo Hoo!!

I am not a MAC user, and thereby cannot compare the OS, I would choose Linux over Windblows any day. I have also convinced several others to "convert" and they too are happy they did....

J

ipeters61
May 15th, 2013, 02:05 AM
Here are my thoughts on the issue...

I have four computers, I will describe where I stand on each system:

Laptop/Main Computer: 2009 Dell Studio 1555, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB Hard Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium and Xubuntu 13.04

Most of my reasons are superficial for this system, but also, as a college student, I want to maintain maximum compatibility with school software needs, so I use Windows 90% of the time on this system. Further, my TV tuner card doesn't support analog signals in Linux, just digital. The cable system at my school uses analog signals, so I can't record anything when I'm up at school. Further, I love SimCity 4, and my laptop doesn't run virtual PCs very well.

Server: 2006 HP Pavilion Slimline s7520n, AMD Turion 64 @ 1.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 200 GB Hard Drive, Xubuntu 13.04

This is a server, it runs Linux very well. After years of playing with Samba (all the other systems in my house run Windows), I've figured it all out and I love it.

Main Desktop: 2002 HP Pavilion 742c, Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.0 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, Xubuntu 13.04

I didn't want to run the increasingly outdated Windows XP on this system. It runs XP well, but it definitely runs Xubuntu better, and I really like that. I hate to say it, but because this is a secondary system (which I use for testing), it is really helpful for letting me learn about and play with Linux. Ultimately, I do not run Linux full time on my laptop because I don't want to inadvertently destroy my system (which is seemingly unlikely in Ubuntu).

Alternate Laptop: 2001 HP Omnibook XE3, Intel Pentium III-M @ 1.06 GHz, 640 MB RAM, 20 GB Hard Drive, Windows 98 Second Edition

I paid $30 for this system because I wanted to use older software. However, I switch things up on this system often.

Icebolt
May 15th, 2013, 07:18 PM
I'm fully converted, many months now.

I've known windows since 3.11 - up to windows 7 pro
( and still continue to find/fix neighbours windows problems )

me and my son (6 Years) have played hundreds of hours of warmux & supertuxcart, and the whole family use this for facebook games.

BUT - the shell has an awkward feel to it. ( many quirks that are just plain annoying )
I need to spend some hours in the tweaks section, to set this machine to 'warp factor 9'
removing the password for confirming everything
product: System Product Name (To Be Filled By O.E.M.) many of these :confused:no dvd rom

but for free, I'll not grumble, as ~I've not used terminal / cmd to fault find to this extent in the past,
but using dual screens, should save some time :]

psfal
May 16th, 2013, 12:36 AM
I started using Ubuntu 4 years ago, with Ubuntu 9.04. I've used it exclusively ever since, though I do use Mint sometimes too. I've found that if you search hard enough you can find a Linux app that will do anything you did in Windows.

ibates
May 16th, 2013, 12:47 AM
I "switched" to Ubuntu some years ago, and on many occasions I have been within a hair's breadth of going back to WinXP.

The switch requires a complete rethink about all the principles of computing learned over many years on firstly, MS0-DOS, and then the full range of Windows. And that rethink is quite difficult.

Particularly when there is no "step 1", "step 2", "step 3", etc.

And whereas there is plenty of community support available for helping solve the problems of not understanding what is going on, most are so keen to help that they assume one has a degree in computer science, or that one has been using Unix-like OS for decades. In other words, the concept of "back to the very basics" is absent.

I think that Ubuntu is capable of doing anything Windows could ever hope to do, and then some. But finding out how to do those things is going to be a hair pulling experience. There is still, after years of learning, not a week goes by when I am defeated by Ubuntu in one way or another. I sometimes spend days trying to figure out how to fix problems, untl eventually giving up and resorting to some kind of help. And it is not always from the Ubuntu community. Frequently more easily understood expplanations are found on independent websites. But one has to be very wary about those sources.

But I suppose it took me more than a decade to become truly proficient at using Windows, so I suppose I can expect that it will take just as long to master Ubuntu.

It has been a bump road so far, and one where the temptation to turn back has only been thwarted by doggedness. And so far,that doggedness triumphs.

ianp5a
May 17th, 2013, 09:03 AM
The limitations of Unity bumped me off Ubuntu via Mint and Fedora onto finally Kubuntu. Kubuntu has the benefits of Ubuntu quality but with a flexible desktop environment. You just need to install the Ubuntu Software centre to get the best of both worlds.

I have now set up my "Photography Workflow" there using Digikam, Raw Therapee, Hugin and Gimp. They all work really well together with very little compromise. People stuck with Adobe photography software are all upset with Adobe recently changing to a monthly rental for most of it's products. Linux users can just laugh at all the turmoil.

richierich1986
May 17th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I have like a ton of games for Windows on Steam, so I have two SSD's in my system: one for Windows,
one for Ubuntu. I have been dual booting for about 7 to 8 years now, but I really only optimized my
Windows install for gaming and Steam runs on boot and in "Big Picture" mode, so it's sort of like a
gaming console. My main SSD holds Ubuntu and I use that for everything but gaming (except Linux games).

This works great for me. :)

chmegr
May 17th, 2013, 11:57 PM
This is always such a busy forum!!! Full Ubuntu for over a year

Karmudjun
May 18th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Add another one to the count!

I have finally switched to Linux in late 2011. I started back with ubuntu 6.04, was a complete noob (not much better now) and crashed my system time and again. Was an iMac user, had an old Pismo laptop, could never get the wireless working and didn't understand why reading articles and trying things just didn't work..:confused:...syntax, syntax, syntax.

With 11.04, things improved to the point that my wife's PC was a perfect dual boot - wifi worked, could even get the printer to work wirelessly. Not easy for a noob! By 11.10 I knew that Open Office & the stable version OS would carry me through, and I quit using my Mac or XP. I finally tried other distros when 12.04 wouldn't keep a wifi card working, I tried Linux Mint and was pleased with the smooth operation.

I'm happy with 13.04, haven't really screwed anything up in a few years....when something doesn't work (DejaDup won't recognize the large backup drive) I just find another open source application and use it instead, no need to monkey around with CLI when I don't understand how to apply the options or qualifiers. I have the same problem with M$: if I have to drop to CLI, I don't know where to start! With these forums and with the web help I've received over the years, I'm much more comfortable tweaking Linux than I ever was with M$, and will continue endorsing the use of Open Source and the connected community instead of the proprietary software sellers.

Thanks for such great forums, and to all those who devote their time and effort to keep us noobs "between the ditches & rolling along", THANKS!!!:KS:KS:KS

GrouchyGaijin
May 18th, 2013, 08:09 PM
The thing is, Linux is like driving a stick.
Yeah it's a drag at first and you stall out a lot, but once you get it, it is so much more fun than an automatic.

Greenlion
May 20th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Pure Linux/Ubuntu for a year now, and it still feels like our first date. \\:D/ I even got my 76 year old mother to switch over and she loves it, that's saying something because mom hates everything.

Once I was able to get BF2 working under wine, I (two minutes later) wiped my Windows partition and put all my microsoft discs on craigslist. I got $20 for each one except vista, I paid some guy $10 to take that one.

Anyway, I love the versatility, the control, the community spirit, and of course......the price.

mantisdolphin
May 22nd, 2013, 01:23 AM
I really like Ubuntu on my dual-drive system, and have parsed out all the work-flow I can where being away from Windows is okay. I keep using Windows for Netflix and for gaming. Steam has some Linux stuff, but the games are not Far Cry 3, Starcraft 2, or Skyrim, or Diablo 3, or Dishonored, or, ah, if I was really rich I'd start a Linux gaming company hellbent on creating a game so awesome that gamers would dual-boot Linux to run it!

mustafi05
June 1st, 2013, 01:11 PM
still not but spend 95% uptime with ubuntu.

zemega
June 1st, 2013, 03:22 PM
I'm trying to, but currently qtwebkit in 13.04 is bugged. There goes Mendeley Desktop until it is fixed. Till then, I have to log in to Windows to write my works.

cookf
June 2nd, 2013, 12:26 PM
We switched about 3 years ago, when I found lots of exe files downloaded by my 2 children's innocence and keen experimental behaviour. The anti-virus could not coop. I like the linux approach to home folders and the ability to make my home folder read-only to them. The bi-annual upgrade is also attactive, although the 12.10 upgrade caused problems for both laptop (slow) and desktop (initial graphics problems). My wife still uses a windows based laptop.

Ubuntu was the easiest to start and pick up. It was a dual boot system for 1 year or so, but then Windows developed booting problems and I've not launched it for a year or so. My children are fluent on Unity and use windows at school.

su:bhatta
June 30th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Still dual boot: Ubuntu Studio n Win8...
but hav forgotten the Win8 password...

Ubuntu is the way of life, i like it...;)

Beautymist
July 1st, 2013, 10:40 PM
My (ex) boyfriend installed Linux on my computer some 15 yrs ago. I have never looked back since then!

I still have windows out there somewhere in my system y'konw just in case - but never, ever use it!

Actually, I can't quite understand why on Earth would anyone want to use bad products such as those sold by Microsoft? They don't work properly, they're expensive, they're the result of heavy advertising and marketing (brain-washing, really), not to mention their big, big privacy issues (think; the recent PRISM scandal).

Microsoft actively particpates in a massive US based spying program (targeting non-US residents), literally gathering your personal online data and willingly handing it to the US authorities - do you really want to pay them for anything now?

Terry of Astoria
July 2nd, 2013, 07:30 AM
My (ex) boyfriend installed Linux on my computer some 15 yrs ago. I have never looked back since then!

I installed Linux on my girlfriend's machine 7 years ago and she's hardly looked back, too!

I still have windows out there somewhere in my system y'know just in case - but never, ever use it!

Yes, I only use it for the rare case when I have to run software made to run on it. The most recent time was about six months ago when I used a cheap ($7.99) video-capture card to make a DVD from someone's VHS home video recording.

I can't quite understand why on Earth would anyone want to use bad products such as those sold by Microsoft? They don't work properly, they're expensive, they're the result of heavy advertising and marketing (brain-washing, really), not to mention their big, big privacy issues (think; the recent PRISM scandal).

I don't know what PRISM is, but sometimes Microsoft Windows has a way of being the easy/best way to do a particular task. Like play some game bought at Fred Meyer or use something like Office '97 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Office-97-Professional-Edition-Full-Retail-Version-NIB-Unopened-/350825481127?pt=US_Office_Business_Software&hash=item51aed403a7)
;-)

Microsoft actively particpates in a massive US based spying program (targeting non-US residents)
Which one?

innn
July 2nd, 2013, 03:11 PM
hello there,
passing by I thought I should say I've installed lubuntu 13.04 on two machines here and so far so good family members are sold on it.
No Windows OS in our home for now.

ADDICTED2GRAVITY
July 3rd, 2013, 06:07 PM
i inswtalled 12.04 on 1 laptop about 1 wk ago still messin with it. It seem pretty good so far but like i said still trying to tweak it so it works for me.

Ridgerunrbunny
July 5th, 2013, 12:45 PM
In your dreams. Linux is limited to play. If I really want to do some work I must use windows or mac to do so. Some of the programming I use cannot be started in Linux. None of the OS's completely cover everything.

surajbanakar
July 7th, 2013, 10:19 AM
I use Ubuntu as my main operating system with several desktop environments. The best thing about linux is that I've always got a choice :D

kemtnbkr
July 8th, 2013, 05:45 AM
I use Xubuntu on my home desktop and laptop predominantly, but I still boot into Windows occasionally on both (Gaming with my PC, and university network access with my laptop). I'm stuck using win7 all the time at school/work though. My university's win7 machines are terrible, it often takes about 10 minutes just to log in and be able to do anything. They used to have Red Hat boxes, which logged in immediately, but they've ditched those in favor of 'laptop space', but you need to install a network client that only supports windows to use the network... so basically once I'm done with school, windows will be gone on all my home machines.

BR8
July 9th, 2013, 03:09 AM
My family's PC was set to dual-boot XP with Xubuntu since XP broke, and my laptop dual-boots Vista with Mint, though I don't use Vista.

cbeal5816
August 1st, 2013, 07:05 PM
Unfortunately, in the current business environment, I don't think that any sys-admin can completely get away from Windows. Although I use Ubuntu for all of my personal machines and 90% of my work environment, there is always some application or user that will still be on Windows machines.

apollothethird
August 3rd, 2013, 11:53 PM
I really like Ubuntu on my dual-drive system, and have parsed out all the work-flow I can where being away from Windows is okay. I keep using Windows for Netflix and for gaming. Steam has some Linux stuff, but the games are not Far Cry 3, Starcraft 2, or Skyrim, or Diablo 3, or Dishonored, or, ah, if I was really rich I'd start a Linux gaming company hellbent on creating a game so awesome that gamers would dual-boot Linux to run it!

You don't need Windows for Netflix. The Linux community is always very hard at work providing for the users. The work they do is incredible!

For Netfix look at:

Install NEtflix in Ubuntu 13.04:
http://www.itworld.com/software/358908/install-netflix-ubuntu-1304

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

It looks like it's totally native linux.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

ad17yam
August 4th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Finally shifted to Ubuntu completely. Had a Win7 dual boot, but then I saw no point of keeping Windows, since all the stuff that I did on Windows could be done in Ubuntu. Plus I think completely moving to Ubuntu (Unix) helps in learning CS faster...
I am really happy with it. Switched completely to Gnome. Even being on my desktop seems cool...:D

Kanthala_Raghu
August 4th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I have a dual boot set up, most of the time i use Ubuntu, but in occasions where i need important works like building websites, projects writing code i still use Windows 7, but Ubuntu is great for my web development work (but still unreliable). i think it'll take time for me to get familiar and build a trust ! Unreliable coz u never know when ur app crashes or window gets struck all is lost so ..!

markfknight
August 5th, 2013, 11:09 PM
I still have a Windows boot as Blizzard have yet to release a Linux client for Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3. The other reason is I need Windows for some of the studies that I am partaking at the moment. Most of my study software can be installed to a XP virtual machine so its not a big pull.

I would say Ubuntu has been my main OS over the last 3 years, recently I have been tinkering with OSX (hackintosh and Macbook Pro) and have been impressed but I have to say Ubuntu has beats it for ease of use, adaptability and IMO looks. OSX once Homebrew is installed becomes quite usable but you can be fighting it to get it working how you want for some time, it is however in a nice position between Linux and Windows for what I use a computer for.

So I'm currently triple booting, but tending to spend most of my time on Ubuntu.

chance2
August 7th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I've been primarily using 12.04 on my MacBook Pro for several months now but have kept my OSX install just in case I need something to fall back on. There have been a few instances when Ubuntu comes down with a bug that I don't have time to fix. In those cases, I'll just boot back into OSX.

gordonmedley
August 8th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Made the switch today from Mac Pro to Ubuntu monster. So far, all is well.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-w6XONaVP6Sk/UgPiPuEpmrI/AAAAAAAAPIo/xsjdjFJV_i4/w781-h1041-no/IMG_20130808_111515.jpg

notnuke
August 9th, 2013, 05:38 AM
I still keep a Windows box around for Adobe, and if I did switch completely to booting to Ubuntu, I'd still need to keep a Windows VM around for certain websites that are designed for IE.

kayla2
August 9th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I don't plan to completely switch to Linux. Linux is good for some things but bad for others. I still love my Windows too.

RichardET
August 9th, 2013, 05:21 PM
I am using Ubuntu 13.04 as a VM, under Windows 8, it is very good and it is 64 bit.

texaswriter
August 10th, 2013, 01:08 AM
I use Linux exclusively for personal uses, gaming and otherwise. Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

I'll make recommendations: 64 bit operating system, any AMD or INTEL CPU, 4+ GB of RAM, an NVIDIA graphics card (with proprietary drivers), and finally Crossover.

- 64 bit operating system for >3GB of RAM.
- 4+ GB of RAM (I like to multi-task)
- NVIDIA Graphics card (I used to use ATI cards and just had more problems with them on Linux even with proprietary driver). Proprietary driver is a must.
- I've used vanilla WINE, PlayOnLinux, and Crossover. Crossover just allows easier management of games. I keep most games in a separate bottle and have over a dozen games installed on my gaming PC. That said, if you are trying to play a bleeding edge game, you might have better luck using WINE separately for this and Crossover for the rest of your games.

I pretty much play any game I want. I play Skyrim, Many Steam games (both Linux and Steam on WINE), including Medieval II Total War, Rome Total War, Skyrim, and Age of Empires 2 HD. Most GOG.com games work fine in a default installation.

Outside of gaming, I've used Microsoft Office 2007 on Linux for years installed in a Crossover bottle for school and work. I do try to use native Linux applications whenever possible, but do appreciate the options provided by WINE and Crossover.

stevecook
August 10th, 2013, 01:19 AM
I've been on Ubuntu now for over a year. I have a copy of XP running in VBox. But I only use it for one thing. I buy sewing patterns online from a sewing pattern company. Their online pattern viewing program only uses XP. Other than that I never use it and am permanently (and more than happily) on Ubuntu 12.04 (with the classic Gnome inteface, mind you, cos Unity sucks...)

Gilad_Pellaeon
August 10th, 2013, 06:20 PM
I made the switch yesterday to Lubuntu on my old Dell Optiplex 745 tower from 2007 with 1gb ram but I still keep another identical tower around running Windows XP for my fiance so she can run her usual Windows programs and me if I desperately need to run something on it.

irfan2
August 10th, 2013, 08:01 PM
well im one of those people that considered use ubuntu for main OS, because all lead to rome if sometimes i miss the other os software.:guitar:

janssensm
August 11th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Switched from Windows to Ubuntu as mainOS for personal use several years ago. I'm quite happy with it. Inthe past I had some issues with getting hardware completelyfunctional, with 13.04 I haven't experienced issues that would driveme back to MS.
Using VirtualBox for XP/Windows 7 forwork related things, and off course for testing other nix os orbetas.
More and more devices in my house arerunning nix, like raspberry pi, nas, why bother to stick with MS.. (or fruit related brands)

msousa
August 14th, 2013, 12:07 AM
My laptop is ubuntu 12.04 - everything I do on it is linux based (quartus ii, beagleboard, arduino/ardupilot mega). I use my wife's windows 7 laptop to update my iPod - that's about it for my windows usage...

irfan2
August 19th, 2013, 03:52 PM
My laptop is ubuntu 12.04 - everything I do on it is linux based (quartus ii, beagleboard, arduino/ardupilot mega). I use my wife's windows 7 laptop to update my iPod - that's about it for my windows usage...

So you succeed to make IT relationship within your spouse :popcorn:

hg-knight
August 19th, 2013, 04:10 PM
everything but my desktop pc which the entire family uses

silconsystem
August 20th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Hey, What a great question, I started trying Linux in 2004 when I found out its existence from my girl who worked at Novell. I tried various distros and I still do actually, the live CD/USB format makes it possible to check out every OS that catches your interest but I have Kubuntu on on machine now for nearly 4 years now and on another machine I've got Xubuntu and I cant seem to part with them. I've tried the original Ubuntu but like many have said before me; its not so easy to customize the newer versions and even if it would be easy it isnt as much fun somehow(then again I didnt try fanaticly either). At the moment I'm customizing a Fedora 19 laptop with Gnome Shell and I was very dissapointed with the customisation options. Now I'm getting there and being able to customize themes in CSS is certainly a nice find, still its not the same as it was on any of my Ubuntu machines. Also the amount of software in Ubuntu's repos are awesome to say the least, I found that not every distro can say that. As for Windows, Always when I want to do something in Windows I seem to run into more things it cant or wont do, I play games on Linux under Wine and when I try them in Windows theres always something lacking. What pisses me off the most is when you download a game or app, install it, the installer says: for this and that reason you cant install this in windows... ...so why doesnt it install?? Is there missing dependecies, misplaced library paths, missing libraries, wrong folder permissions?? Windows wont tell, it will just tell you you've just wasted another half hour of your life using an inferior system that pre-dates Linux a decade or so. Only good thing is ASIO, music production on Linux can be a pain and Windows handles it much better (for now I hope)

Pako Pako
August 21st, 2013, 02:10 AM
Until Ubuntu gets a 3D NBA game, that's what my Windows partition is for. NBA Live '06 and for using my iR port to transfer files between my old phone and my PC. (Because Ubuntu's iRDA won't work until I rearrange the IRQs and reboot.)

bikeman01
August 22nd, 2013, 03:58 PM
Tried to like Ubuntu but there are just too many problems with it - not going to list them all but losing sound when it comes out of hibernation is just one and the fact that software updates always seem to wreck my dual boot. Another reason is the crap freeware software which seems to have been last developed in the 90s - I'd rather pay and have more choice/better qualiity appplications. I use Ubuntu for browsing the web, nothing more.

jjaison-daniel
August 22nd, 2013, 07:28 PM
Before 10 years I am only using Windows just 2 years only,
Past 10 years I am using Linux and Solaris and some time Windows,
and past 3 year I am only using Linux(Ubunut)

Ubuntu completely replaced my Windows OS.

RyeMan
August 25th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Not completely. Still hanging on to Vista for a couple of programs that won't work in Wine.

I love the security of Linux. Viruses and malware seem to be a thing of the past.

One thing that is frustrating about Linux or at least Lubuntu and Mint is the lack of monitor resolution choices. I've tried a few different things but nothing has worked. My monitor is 9" high by 16" wide and Vista has a resolution of 1280x768 which looks to be the proper setting whareas Linux has 1024x768 which stretches everything out but doesn't give any higher choices.

With that said, I still prefer Linux. Windows now seems dirty. It's a bit like having a elephant with muddy feet in your living room :)

rickyrockrat
August 25th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Not completely. Still hanging on to Vista for a couple of programs that won't work in Wine.

I love the security of Linux. Viruses and malware seem to be a thing of the past.

One thing that is frustrating about Linux or at least Lubuntu and Mint is the lack of monitor resolution choices. I've tried a few different things but nothing has worked. My monitor is 9" high by 16" wide and Vista has a resolution of 1280x768 which looks to be the proper setting whareas Linux has 1024x768 which stretches everything out but doesn't give any higher choices.

With that said, I still prefer Linux. Windows now seems dirty. It's a bit like having a elephant with muddy feet in your living room :)

Play with xrandr. You can add new modes, check what modes are supported, set new modes:
xrandr (shows monitors connected, resolutions supported, and which one currently using *next to it)
xrandr --output XXX, --mode 1280x768 (set monitor XXX to 1280x768).

demisgc
September 22nd, 2013, 11:24 PM
I've been using linux since 1996, the time when dragons rule the earth. I completely switch to linux 8 years ago. Despite of that, sometimes I need a windows machine to run any specific software only available for Windows, for example the Canon EOS software.

poppys-boat
September 26th, 2013, 11:00 AM
i have just installed ubuntu as i wanted to use multi wii and arduino which is becoming hard on windows 7/8 as the driver is not certified so windows will not allow me to install it but i am having a lot of trouble trying to get either one to run and can not find out how to list the serial ports that are on my machine, on windows i just have to click on device manager and i can get a list but i can find no easy way of doing the same so i may have to go back to windows.