PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

disastrophe
October 6th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Just wanted to add something here. The main reasons why Linux systems are less likely to become infected or pwned are; because in the past not enough machines ran it to make it a target of interest, the default permissions make it more difficult, and in the past, the average competency of Linux users was fairly high.

As these numbers change, certain popular distros will get hit more and more. There are no silver bullets. Good internet hygiene and vigilence are always called for. And never, never underestimate black hats. Many are likely very, very competent Linux users themselves and they know exactly what to do.
Linux is more resistent than windows but it is far from bulletproof.

dirtyed
October 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I switched about 3 months ago to 10.04 and i love it.when i go on my wifes laptop with win xp pro i can see how much windows is bloated compared to ubuntu. Stick with guys you are getting there

Schrute Farms
October 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I have a virtual windows XP on my virtualbox as backup, though. But I need it only twice a year for private reasons, more often for work stuff (docx etc)
FYI: docx files worked perfectly for me in Ubuntu 10.04 with Open Office 3.2.

shade82000
October 12th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Been using Ubuntu since 2006, made the switch completely in May this year - gparted is a powerful tool and brings on a slight grin when 'making the switch.'

Still have VirtualBox with XP just in case, but it won't do any harm unless it's powered on.

DrJohn999
October 13th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Almost there but my S.O. is thoroughly stuck in Windows land and doesn't care to learn something new. I'm still forced to run Windows @ work, too. Today's statistics:

Desktop -- Lucid, heading to Maverick soon
Netbook -- Upgrading to Maverick as I write, but it's a dual-booter w/ XP
Server -- Karmic, need to go to Lucid as LTS; always painful to mod the server!
3 x KVM Virtual servers -- same as server
S.O.'s PC -- Win 7 Pro, and I'm the IT guy
Daughter -- not sure but at least one Linux build plus Windows

So, that's 7 Linux out of a total of 10 instances. 70% Linux -- not bad!

I also got my brother in law to give Lucid netbooks to three outside sales persons after many security fiascos w/ family-shared systems running Win XP. They're happier now and he sleeps better!

jcolyn
October 13th, 2010, 03:07 AM
My only Windows use is at work.

All of my home computers have been fully converted to Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Mint for a year now.

Before that my only Windows use at home was Vista since one and only one website I needed to access required Internet Exploder to access it. They now allow Firefox so Vista is now a distant bad dream..

PaulReaver
October 13th, 2010, 04:39 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

it's fallout3 that keeps windows on my tower,

my netbook though is an all linux affair, even came with ubuntu pre-installed. :)

WeAreLinux
October 13th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I have. I only do basic computing, so I see no need using Windows. Ubuntu have everything I need.

I only keep a Windows CD handy in case I need to reset my modem. My ISP require windows to reactivate the modem (very annoying).

gary2190
October 13th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I have been with Ubuntu for the last 3 distros and I prefer it to Windows. It is more accessible for the person who wants to be more hands on. I have a Novatech V14. If only I could sort out how to get the webcam to work.

slooksterpsv
October 13th, 2010, 08:28 AM
All my computers run ubuntu, I only run windows in a vm.

I am so Anti-M$, it's not funny, they're just irritating and the patents and this and that, grrrr... :( I'm all FOSS :) :D, I love my music in OGG format, and my vids in OGV.

Nightstrike2009
October 13th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Migrated to Ubuntu 10.04 and ditched my dual-boot setup with WindowsXp and never looked back, Ubuntu is far better for my needs, the only windows I use now is Virtualboxed for minor incompatiblities and odd progs which very rarely use at all.

Congrats on the ace work with 10.04LTS

Click SSL
October 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I have switched. Everything I need can be found in the free and open source software community and i have already planned all my future computer expenses to be 100% linux or at least free bsd.

my work pc still uses windows but i am hard at work trying to change that too.

inhiway
October 22nd, 2010, 02:46 PM
Except for a couple programs I run through Wine, I've been Windows free for the past week. I just wanted to get away from the hassles of viri, trojans, eulas, genuine advantages, cracks, patches, "borrowed" serials and keys, and all the other baggage I've burdened myself with over the last several years. Except for a minor glitch with the nVidea drivers, all has been going quite well with my intallation of Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick.

3Miro
October 22nd, 2010, 03:37 PM
I moved to pure 64-bit Linux with Ubuntu 8.10. The only time that I have used windows since, was when my NVIDIA video card died and I had to use an ATI card. ATI doesn't work well with wine, so I had to go to windows to play games.

Darth Penguin
October 22nd, 2010, 03:40 PM
I use Windows rarely now, but I haven't completely switched. My intention was not to switch from one OS to another, but to use both. I have dual-boot for Windows and Linux on separate partitions.

amp711
October 22nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
Recently switched to 10.04.1 for full time home use. I was running Windows 7 and while I enjoyed it (still run it on my work machine), I like challenges and always am looking to learn new technology (I'm in I.T.).

I'm also a part time photographer and this weekend will be my first test of the install. I have Bibble and GIMP all setup and ready to go.. We'll see how that works. :)

Biggest challenge I'm still fighting is getting multiple play lists syncd from Rythmbox on my old ipod. I can get one playlist no problem, but when I try to sync another manually, it takes out the first one I setup..

Overall very pleased. The system is a new build and it is fast as all get out...

vlaar
October 22nd, 2010, 06:13 PM
Still use XP for games. Ubuntu for everything else. just had some minor wireless issues but who didn't:P

onaridge
October 23rd, 2010, 12:35 AM
I would have both my computers switched if I could get Evolution to correctly import everything from my Windows machine :-(

Zeppelin!
October 23rd, 2010, 02:18 AM
I have a W7 partition on my laptop, and my parents are using an XP computer (obviously I've ended up being their techie, which is okay since they're not constantly stretching the limits of what they can do). Why do I still have the W7 partition? Well, it came with the laptop, beautifully optimized to use it to its full extent. It can do three things that Ubuntu cannot - play certain games, use my headphone jack, and play streaming video with a high framerate.

I have found no solution for any of these three issues (these certain games turn into nuclear fireballs in Wine) anywhere on the ubuntu forums, the documentation, or #ubuntu, and until I can solve these three problems I will not delete the W7 partition, even though I haven't used it in months.

marl30
October 23rd, 2010, 06:01 PM
I have switched to Linux over six months now. I still have Windows XP in Virtualbox, as I need it to run MS Access, which I'm now learning at school. I haven't been able to run either Access 2003, or 2007 successfully in Wine. I also need Windows to update my mobile phone, as the available software does not work in wine. Apart from doing my Access school work and occasionally checking for new updates for my phone, I have found great alternatives for all my other needs that keeps me comfortable with Ubuntu.

freshminted
October 25th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I first tried Linux some 5 years ago, returning this year to Ubuntu, before 3 months ago finally dumping Windows. Not being a games player the one thing I really miss is a great graphics package like CorelDraw. I do not miss the distracting XP or now the even worse Windows 7 screen, nor do I miss not being able to control my computer. Thank heaven for Ubuntu making the transition (fairly) painless - even if I did have to change two of my Canon printers!:)

Andy Lewis
October 25th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Tried Ubuntu a few versions ago, and thankfully the only window I need to use now is the one to my right, just to check on the car lol! On the downside I have a copy of 7 ready to roll just in case I need it.....

It has got to the point now where I rarely boot up windows! and have trouble remembering how to use it when I have to sort out dads vista or my m8s xp when their machines "go down" with a cold!! ha ha

The only good window is one with glass in it! I consider myself converted!

Peace

b1acksun
October 25th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Changed fully Linux in 2003 - the last move had to be subtle with a touch of WKD. got the wife hooked on firefox, had her ported over to Linux while explaining she need not worry so much about the viruses while browsing. Explained MS Windows due to its original build has and will always have tons of holes; demoed the security settings (minor setback here).
Had to explain the reason she felt Linux couldn't do what she wanted was that MS Windows just had every door open; this allowed her in easily, sadly the viruses would follow her through the same doors and find more of their own. Allowed her to see my newly built XP which we allowed access to the internet with IE as the magic browser :-) - she was impressed (not) with the way MS Windows just attracted those viri - switchover complete.

Yes there were user problems, getting her used to thinking a different way - just under a year later she admitted that its nice to just to be able to use her PC without thinking too hard about it.

Update screwups do happen and I heard the argument never happened with Windows - a memory jog of yes it did, loads of times, you just got used to it from all those years of abuse by MS, The Linux is new to you so any problem appears in sharp relief.

Now we have Mythbuntu running our media (Television, Films, Holiday Snaps, Music) the small one (6yrs) is a natural - she whizzes around Mythbuntu with the remote setting entertainment.

Opensuse on the wifes and my PC.
At the time had abit everything and just couldn't get ubuntu or even fedora working on these boards. now have Asrock 790 m/b - which works great but have left these as Suse units.

Opensuse on our work server - still have problems getting fedora or ubuntu working on the abit ic7 m/b so just settled on this config.

BSD Freenas Server - (ZFS) for all the files currently 8 x 1tb of drives.
Only have this due to ZFS - would love to be using openmediavault when thats released - yes I'm aware of Btrfs, but its not really commited yet plus dont think it has the functionality of ZFS; to be honest though, if push comes to shove - I'll be OMVing.

Do miss the games on MS Windows XP, primarily C&C - used to love the net battles online and phrack meets. I suppose it was easier for me to wean of MS products as I love change; especially for things that are technically or just are better. I'm one of those guys that went through just about every home computer released (even the comx 35, MK14, oric-1, aquarius); so dropping software investments wasn't a new and painful thing - that hurt was done from my first machine moving to my 2nd machine (MZ80K - Atari 800). Linux is just great, the way it has been changing over time for the better is impressive, its even on my routers and other discrete devices; we even saw it handling the media on our holiday flight - the little one (3 coming to 4 at the time) got our attention by shouting "LOOK PENGUINS" loads of times; it was pretty fascinating watching the planes linux driven servers going through the startup sequence.

Until something better comes along (it isn't MS Win7) then its Linux all the way.

GabrielYYZ
October 25th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Maverick Meerkat was released on 10.10 and i installed lucid a week before that (10.03) and it's the only OS i use. it was love at first boot... :biggrin:

Quadunit404
October 25th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I am temporarily without my laptop so right now I'm on Windows XP. This computer I'm using until I get my laptop back sucks.

Arex Bawrin
October 26th, 2010, 01:07 AM
I completely switched a couple of months ago as I have Windows 7 in my drawer collecting dust. All I miss is the proper flash support. Flash ran so smooth in Windows 7 and in Ubuntu it is just slow, choppy, and will crash every once in a while. Other than that I am amazed by Ubuntu. I'm learning something new every day which in turn gives me more control over my operating system (something I will never have in Windows).

alanmoore78
October 26th, 2010, 05:08 AM
I'm still running dual-boot. I use Ubuntu about 95% of the time. My wife is still on a 7HP64 system so the best way to transfer files between the computers has been for me to boot into 7HP64 myself and get on the darn network. But I've eliminated that need by adding a private folder in our Dropbox accounts. We can transfer whatever from there. It's a bit slower but it'll do. If I need something faster I can always boot into 7HP64 myself.

Any time I feel the need to boot into Windows to do something, I've trained myself to do three things:

1) see if the software can be found in the Software Center or Synaptic
2) check this forum RIGHT HERE for a workaround or a native app I didn't see before
3) walk into the living room and use my son's XP Home box to do it

...before I use WINE or boot into Windows on this computer.

It's working very well so far. One of my New Year's resolutions is to peel the Windows 7 sticker off my laptop. Before I can do that, I need to format the hard drive and erase everything, I think. So I will make a final backup of files, do that, make the whole 160GB drive Ubuntu (even the recovery portion if I can figure out how), and then be happy and Windows-free.

I also need to peel the Celeron sticker off. This thing's been running a Pentium Dual-Core since 1 week after I opened the box and took it out of the plastic. That single core Celeron 900 was awful. Amazing what a small change ($41 CPU on eBay) can make for a computer. I thought that was it right there, Windows 7, a dual-core laptop, and my awesome black desk. Then I met Ubuntu and it's just amazing what this computer can do, and how!

Garthhh
October 26th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I'm still running dual-boot. I use Ubuntu about 95% of the time. My wife is still on a 7HP64 system so the best way to transfer files between the computers has been for me to boot into 7HP64 myself and get on the darn network. But I've eliminated that need by adding a private folder in our Dropbox accounts. We can transfer whatever from there. It's a bit slower but it'll do. If I need something faster I can always boot into 7HP64 myself.

Any time I feel the need to boot into Windows to do something, I've trained myself to do three things:

1) see if the software can be found in the Software Center or Synaptic
2) check this forum RIGHT HERE for a workaround or a native app I didn't see before
3) walk into the living room and use my son's XP Home box to do it

...before I use WINE or boot into Windows on this computer.

It's working very well so far. One of my New Year's resolutions is to peel the Windows 7 sticker off my laptop. Before I can do that, I need to format the hard drive and erase everything, I think. So I will make a final backup of files, do that, make the whole 160GB drive Ubuntu (even the recovery portion if I can figure out how), and then be happy and Windows-free.

I also need to peel the Celeron sticker off. This thing's been running a Pentium Dual-Core since 1 week after I opened the box and took it out of the plastic. That single core Celeron 900 was awful. Amazing what a small change ($41 CPU on eBay) can make for a computer. I thought that was it right there, Windows 7, a dual-core laptop, and my awesome black desk. Then I met Ubuntu and it's just amazing what this computer can do, and how!

I just emailed files to myself for a long time
You should be able to set up samba shares without much problem
when you do a clean install & use the entire hard drive, the recovery partition will disappear

Wiredfixer
October 27th, 2010, 01:24 AM
I use Linux in my Work.

Im on a project to change the Windows Machines on Ubuntu Desktops, now i have a Latitude d260 on Ubuntu 10.04, im working with seamlessrdp for some apps "Windows Native".

I dont miss windows, only in my house i have Windows 7, just for my wife or play some Windows Games they cant run on WINE.

Sometimes my Wife uses my Ubuntu lap, and no make complains about that :)

wildbill46
October 27th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I've gone back and forth for the last 2 or 3 years. I'm finally making the switch. Ubuntu seems to have improved a lot and is easier to use and to tweak. Still searching sometimes to find programs and such but so far I'm not looking to do anything else with windows. 'Chine is still dual boot but that's a comfort issue for now.

anonimato
October 28th, 2010, 03:50 AM
I downloaded Karmic a while back because my Acer Aspire 5315 kept shutting down for no reason. I found out the cooling fan was controlled trough proprietary Acer software, and it already had trouble even running Vista Basic. I installed Karmic, but found it too alien and gave up. 2 years later, I needed a PC urgently. I d/led Lucid as a last resort. I now prefer my crappy Acer running Lucid over my girlfriend's brand new HP running Windows 7.

john77eipe
October 28th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Ubuntu rocks!!! But i'm a gamer so keep both. I switch to windows only to play games and to watch movies.

hawthornso23
October 28th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Ubuntu at home. CentOS at work.

yesrno
October 28th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Used both Windows and Ubuntu for almost 2 years but some months ago both my HD's where like a big mess. I formatted the 2 disks then and only installed Ubuntu on it without Windows and since then I am only using Linux. Never missed my Windows so far!
So yea I can proudly say I completely switched. Woehoo :D

prasadpkamath
October 28th, 2010, 11:03 AM
i mostly use ubuntu. but unfortunately, nothing beats ms office...thats the only reason why i still use windows :(

although the wine ms office is still good for word and excel, ppt still works best on windows :(

pyrite
October 28th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Linux, and mostly Ubuntu over the last few years. Probably been a good five since I've used Windows and have never had any interest in Macs. Might be a different story, though, if I had a digital camera/printer/mp3 player/phone. I've turned a few friends on to Ubuntu only to find out they gave up and installed a pirated copy of Vista after trying for the trillionth time to get the camera to connect and failing.

maddbaron
October 28th, 2010, 03:28 PM
funny story, i had a problem with my dsl and called support they asked me what os I use, i stated ubuntu linux...the rep asked me to please have a mac or windows pc, they aren't trained to work with linux and disconnected the call... I have a windows desktop and netbook and dual boot Win 7 but I can do all the same things in Ubuntu...so I messed around and fixed the problem myself. tech support also has a problem if you use anything other than explorer as a browser...I think the fact that tech support doesn't support linux is a problem when it comes to linux growing and more people switching over. These big companies should train people in linux just as they train them in mac and windows.

kolby4078
October 28th, 2010, 04:05 PM
well i have my gateway nv.53 witch has win 7 pro(220gb) ubuntu 10.04(50gb) and has a cracked version of osx 10.5 for amd

my gateway nv.52 has fedora 11 i think idk exactly

my compaq presario 1255 has win 98 se

and my optiplex gx1 has win xp

and idk wat my 9 other towers have but mostly windows i think but i just use them for parts

i still use windows alot for photoshop and the reast of the master collection 3d animation in cinema 4d

techwriter
October 28th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Completely changed over to Ubuntu about one year ago in the computer that I use most of the time. We do have one windows computer in the house. It is necessary for things that I cannot do with Ubuntu such as printing.

janpol
October 28th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I use at home:

.Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit Desktop edition on my main PC in a dual boot setup with Windows 7. I use Windows to play a few games that doesn't run on linux (or doesn't run very well), but I've been really busy lately, so I haven't booted into Windows for a while.
.Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook reminx on my Asus eee

At work (I'm just a member of the IT department):

.CentOS server: I suggested to use it instead of Windows 2003
.IpCop gateway: VPN solution and a firewall, my suggestion too :D
.Windows XP clients: goverment software that runs only on windows (and only runs well on windows XP :S) and MS Office (we tried Open Office, but most of the people working here were not very confortable with the change).

Regards!

Garthhh
October 28th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Linux, and mostly Ubuntu over the last few years. Probably been a good five since I've used Windows and have never had any interest in Macs. Might be a different story, though, if I had a digital camera/printer/mp3 player/phone. I've turned a few friends on to Ubuntu only to find out they gave up and installed a pirated copy of Vista after trying for the trillionth time to get the camera to connect and failing.

Picasa works flawlessly, camera connects right up
it does use a custom wine set up, but the installer takes care of making it all work
have it gather all the photos in computer or just one folder, good options for organizations

chaanakya_chiraag
October 28th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Picasa works flawlessly, camera connects right up
it does use a custom wine set up, but the installer takes care of making it all work
have it gather all the photos in computer or just one folder, good options for organizations
FYI: Picasa has a native Linux client... http://picasa.google.com/linux/. The way you posted, it sounds like you are using the Windows version through WINE (if I am wrong, disregard my post ;) ).

LinuxReinventor
October 28th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I still sometimes use windows for teaching people how to program on their OS, but whenever I use it, I am sure to stay away from the Internet, I don't use it for watching DVDs since my computer can't read DVDs, :popcorn: and I have never really used windows for gaming, but I am sure I can use wine for that

Garthhh
October 28th, 2010, 10:25 PM
FYI: Picasa has a native Linux client... http://picasa.google.com/linux/. The way you posted, it sounds like you are using the Windows version through WINE (if I am wrong, disregard my post ;) ).

you can install through the repositories on some disrtos [mint fer instance]
it still runs a windows version through wine. The parts of wine that you need are included with the installer [all distros].
there is no fiddling around with getting it to work.

no worries
picasa is freeware, but not open source

GenBattle
October 29th, 2010, 03:47 AM
The only thing i used to use windows for was WoW, but now performance is acceptable enough under WINE and i don't play WoW anymore anyway. Major reason for keeping windows atm is development for some experimental devices i'm playing around with, which only support Windows.

misfitpierce
October 29th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I used to play mad pc games but moved to consoles and switched to linux like 6.5 years ago, 5 of which have been on ubuntu and ubuntu alone. No windows for me. I dont miss PC games much but some run in Ubuntu fine via Wine. I have even ran WOW via Wine even tho WOW is not a good game at all. Dunno what I was thinkin there but eh.

Earl_Maroon
October 29th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I use Ubuntu for most things, but I can't get my external soundcard to work, so I have to use Windows for recording, hq music playback etc.

gtardini
October 29th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I have to check first my peripherals' drivers, but for any kind of work I prefer Linux (any Linux) a lot compared to Windows. I love shells, scripts and the like, although I do not mind Desktop icons ;-)
It is better for remote login, for ftp (Windows has, to my knowledge, only ftp client), for everything.

So for now that's dual (XP, no Vista!), but if scanner, smartphone, printer, digital camera, DVD burning, sound card prove robust, one day I might stay with just Linux. Not forgetting media players. We'll see.

squenson
November 1st, 2010, 04:02 AM
I am "windows-free" at home. I upgraded my dual-boot laptop to 10.10 64-bit in anticipation of doing the same thing for my desktop, Instead of upgrading to Windows 7, I just saved the money for a new desktop and I formatted it with 10.10 64-bits. So far so good, all my spreadsheets and documents can open with OpenOffice and I just redeveloped few Excel macros in Python.

I will keep Windows for work on my professional laptop. I like Windows very much however I think that there are nearly as-good alternatives today which don't cost a dime.

FrankTheTankC
November 1st, 2010, 04:14 AM
I completely switched 2 months ago.

I do a lot of python and ruby development, some network admin stuff, and I've got SC2 and WoW running on High settings without a hitch.

Ya know what they say about windows too.
There's no doors, so ya gotta break a window to get in.

KaYnemO
November 1st, 2010, 04:29 PM
Seven years ago switched to linux completely, more then that, even my phone is Android :)

krishnandu.sarkar
November 1st, 2010, 04:41 PM
I have completely switched to Linux, this was not a daunting task for me at all as I'm not a Gamer. Though I didn't deleted my Win 7, but I login into it rarely, say once / twice in a month.

spatiegames
November 1st, 2010, 06:17 PM
I think I completely switched to Linux about a year ago (due to far too many virus problems on windows :mad:).
The only negative thing I have is the sometimes not compatible software, like webcams or tv-cards..

The_Eggert
November 1st, 2010, 09:06 PM
I had made a complete switch to Ubuntu about a year, but due to the place I go to school, I have to start using Windoze again - atleast on my laptop which I use at school. On my desktop, however, I only use Ubuntu, also for gaming using Wine :)

akand074
November 1st, 2010, 09:37 PM
I've completely switched to linux, pretty much even on my school laptop now. I still have Windows in case that odd program comes up that needs windows (just on my laptop).

I love how this thread started in 2004 and is still going, and that I think I've posted in this thread for the third time :P hah comical.

Sylos
November 1st, 2010, 09:44 PM
Switched to using ubuntu nearly 3 years ago. I used it as my main distro from the outset as it was so much faster than windows. I did keep the windows HDD in my PC but only booted into it a handful of times just to check if hardware was working and confirm that a failure was software based. Finally got rid of the windows disc a couple of weeks ago. Although there are some windows discs around we have been a windows use free home for 2 years (since I moved in and converted the good lady). Its been good times.

Lancro
November 1st, 2010, 10:11 PM
I have my vista partition, and I have been using ubuntu around about 2 weeks xD, and I havent used vista, I put it when I go to sleep so it upgrades, The quality of the webcam in linux is bad, iis a microsoft webcam, in vista I can use de "low light enviroment" tick so It works perfect, in linux theres no such option, and for a game that wine cant load properly, It loads but models dont appear, but Im not playing it a lot, once each two days, because I enjoy linux new games hehe.

Alessandro.g89
November 1st, 2010, 11:33 PM
I don't boot WinXP since july, if I'm right. I may still need it for study, but right now Ubuntu can do everything, and hacking/customizing it is an endless fun

Narendran95
November 2nd, 2010, 03:40 PM
Dude! Don't worry about gaming... Go to the software center and get 'PlayOnLinux'. It lets you play almost ALL windows games on ubuntu... Nice huh!

cfree220
November 2nd, 2010, 05:15 PM
I have completely switched to Linux as of about a month ago.

I have two computers: 1 netbook, and 1 laptop.

I've been running Ubuntu/Windows on the laptop for a while, although I very rarely booted the Windows side.

The netbook came with Windows 7 starter. I decided that there is absolutely no reason for me to be using Windows on the netbook (it isn't as though an EeePC has enough resources to use any of the Windows programs I might want to run).

When I upgraded my laptop from 9.10 to 10.10, I didn't bother creating a partition for Windows 7. If I need it, I'll throw it in a virtual machine.

TheAnachron
November 2nd, 2010, 05:21 PM
I can't switch completly.
I am forced to use windows on work, school and private [iTunes].

But I do my best to use linux more then any other OS.

electroconvulsive
November 2nd, 2010, 08:15 PM
I would for my personal computing needs however nautilus shows my pictures from my camera in an erroneus rotation. Windows gets it right. Yes I know it is an exif information thing but i do not really like the idea of having to go that extra step and then looking at my portrait oriented photos sitting on their side when they are actually rotated correctly. If anyone comes up with a fix for this please let me know. The correct rotation would be the one facebook reads when I upload my photos. If I can get Nautilus to ignore exif information permanently it would make life a lot easier for me.

habanerOi
November 2nd, 2010, 08:55 PM
I did the FULL switch about a month ago when Windows crashed again. couldn't boot, couldn't repair, lost a lot of work. I had been trying out Distros for a few years now and
I gotta say Ubuntu is AWESOME! Gaming was the only thing keeping me from switching
but I got sick and tired of Microsoft's unreliabilities. Then I found out about PlayonLinux, so I'm even happier!! Thanks Ubuntu!!

Rave Gloves
November 3rd, 2010, 01:20 AM
I fully switched to ubuntu 3 years ago after Windows vista gave me the black screen of death. Thanks vista!

cipherboy_loc
November 3rd, 2010, 04:49 AM
Technically speaking, I still have Windows (XP SP3 I believe) installed on my laptop, but I never use it. Wait, I take that back. I used it 7 or 9 months ago. To try and play a flash movie and have it go on the projector. Sadly it did not work.... Neither did it work on Ubuntu.

Daniel0108
November 4th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I'm only using Ubuntu...
It's very good for programming :)
Everything I have to do in Windows... I emulate with WINE :DDD
I don't need Windows.. If there's a program not working with wine, I use a Virtual machine.
Yours,
Daniel

cracker89
November 4th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Completely Ubuntu :) After going through all the Winders and a pretty outdated 3 cd version of redhat. And I'm glad.

P.S.: its been a few months and through all the minor bugs, I have yet to see a system freeze or anything close to a death screen.
P.S.S: also, the supprt available for Ubuntu on community kicks any "customer service" butt. Windows RIP. Thank you Ubuntuforums. :)

Tony Flury
November 4th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I am 90% linux - I have windows installed in Virtual Box, just so that i can run iTunes (for my iPhone and iPod), and a decent version of Yahoo messenger that supports my webcam seamlesly.

Apart from that everything else is Linux.

Rave Gloves
November 4th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I am 90% linux - I have windows installed in Virtual Box, just so that i can run iTunes (for my iPhone and iPod), and a decent version of Yahoo messenger that supports my webcam seamlesly.

Apart from that everything else is Linux.

I thought Rhythmbox was able to sync iphones?
It has no problem syncing to my ipod touch.

cthlhu1987
November 4th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I need windows just for gaming and to fix fat32 and ntfs errors, because there isn't a thin like chkdsk that acutualy works...

Sigma1
November 4th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I just use ubuntu.

RBLevin
November 5th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Completely switched to Ubuntu this year. Maintained Windows + Ubuntu last year. I have one app I run in a Windows VM because it is fussy under Wine. Other than that, no Windows apps at all, even under Wine. Power user on Windows, former developer who still dabbles. Have not found anything I can't do with Ubuntu. And frankly, the speed, reliability, and smart resource utilization of Ubuntu Linux puts Windows to shame. I use Ubuntu at work, on a netbook, in a pure Windows environment. Nobody has a clue that I am not on Windows. Sharing files, accessing LAN and printers, etc. No troubles. At home I have Ubuntu on my laptop, my main PC. Never going back, not looking back.

Martyd16
November 5th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I have been running Linux of various types on my desktop for a long time not (not very actively but it has been there) my hd on my vista laptop crashed a few weeks ago so I got a new hd and installed 10.10 and I am so happy I am now only running Linux. the only thing that prevented me from doing this before, and that I miss now is netflix :(

Goldfissh
November 5th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I wish Steam was supported by Linux... I'm a PC gamer and this is the only reason I occasionally switch over.

liqwiz
November 5th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I'm a gamer and I completely switched to linux.
I've been running it for a year (most of 2009), then tried win7 for a year and back to linux now. I switched to win7 to test it out, and it stuck. Then it broke and I remembered what it was like before.

So now I run Ubuntu 10.04

I do rely on Wine however, for many tasks. That is due to the fact that developers don't often go "all the way" when publishing multi-platform. Without Wine, I would not have switched.

peyre
November 5th, 2010, 10:27 PM

Games aren't what's keeping me from going 100% Linux, but rather specialty items and limitations of Linux itself.

I have an all-in-one printer whose scanner (the reason I got it) isn't very Linux-friendly [specialty item].

Ubuntu honestly isn't nearly as good with removable media as Windows [limitation]: it doesn't always recognize CDs, for instance--big issue!

I can't run chkdsk /r or fsck or any equivalent on my external hard drive, which is formatted NTFS [specialty item].

My wife runs Photoshop and Mozy, so it's out of the question for her to switch [specialty item].

victorhugo289
November 6th, 2010, 02:04 AM
OMG, after reading the 733 posts I'm gonna do mine:

I love old versions of Windows, especially Windows 98se, and so I triple-boot Win98, WinXP and Ubuntu 10.04. Ubuntu 10.04 is the master of my computer so yes: I've made the complete switch to Ubuntu, keeping the resto for legacy games and to learn about them!.

AlexanderDGreat
November 6th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Really you read all 733 pages?

Using Ubuntu in office all 20 workstations, with VirtualBox in them for manufacturer application.

OpenOffice isn't good for office productivity yet, so using MS Office 2007 Suite Professional.

Pure Ubuntu at home, playing Starcraft 2 in Windows XP. That's all.

dksdk
November 6th, 2010, 10:08 AM
With the release of Maverick 10.10, i made the switch..been using Ubuntu alongside windows since 2005. I have Xp installed in VM Virtualbox, but rarely need to use it.:P

Rachel_Eliason
November 6th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Shortly after my divorce, some five years ago, I bought a computer at goodwill of all places. It actually ran pretty well until, well, windows crashed. I couldn't get it back up. somebody at worked mentioned the word Ubuntu. A quick google search and the rest, as they say, was history. It ran what I have called my frankenputer (I've changed out about half the hardware) and three netbooks on ubuntu exclusively. My first netbook came with windows. It drove me freaking crazy it was so slow, I had to switch to easy peasy and then netbook remix. this current netbook came with Linpus (another linux distro) I used it for awhile and it worked okay, but every time I tried to upgrade and add the programs I use most, their server was down or busy or something, so I switched once again to Ubuntu.

that said I should point out that I am a writer. Fast, stable and secure are important to me. Gaming and multimedia, not so much. so Linux is ideal for me.

Spice Weasel
November 6th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Shortly after my divorce, some five years ago, I bought a computer at goodwill of all places. It actually ran pretty well until, well, windows crashed. I couldn't get it back up. somebody at worked mentioned the word Ubuntu. A quick google search and the rest, as they say, was history. It ran what I have called my frankenputer (I've changed out about half the hardware) and three netbooks on ubuntu exclusively. My first netbook came with windows. It drove me freaking crazy it was so slow, I had to switch to easy peasy and then netbook remix. this current netbook came with Linpus (another linux distro) I used it for awhile and it worked okay, but every time I tried to upgrade and add the programs I use most, their server was down or busy or something, so I switched once again to Ubuntu.

that said I should point out that I am a writer. Fast, stable and secure are important to me. Gaming and multimedia, not so much. so Linux is ideal for me.

Strange. Your avatar would make you appear to be a FreeBSD person. :)

MartyBuntu
November 6th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I completely switched to Linux in 2004 when I wiped my last Windows partition out and installed Mandrake Linux.
When Ubuntu 6.10 came out, I tried it out after hearing so many good things and decided to stick with it.

I have never even touched a Vista/Windows 7 machine.

sgbeamer
November 6th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Switched completely over 5 years ago. Still suffer with Windows at work though.

rmcellig
November 6th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I am a hardcore Mac user since 1988 and I am finding that I am spending about 80% in Ubuntu and less on my Mac. The only thing holding me back is to get a faster PC so I can really try out all the cool things Linux offers.

Right now I have Ubuntu dual booting on my iMac with a couple of issues (unable to use the iMac webcam and also unable to record anything from Audio In). I also have Ubuntu installed on my wife's PC that I made for her, an old Dell desktop that my Mom uses and also another old Dell desktop as well. To say I love Linux is an understatement and I can't justify using a Mac anymore when I can do nearly everything I want with Linux Ubuntu.

Lancro
November 6th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Since I installed ubuntu, a month ago, I havent used windows, I have it installed, for a game I dont play xD, and I use the mp3 of the ntfs partition, but Im doing everything under ubuntu.

joeoshawa
November 7th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Just wanted to say My Brother and his wife are both fully Ubuntu since 10.04 and I have compiz desktop manager which has my mother intrigued so i may be able to get her to dual boot if she gets a new hdd. But unfortunately my sister and her husband are huge techies and both it gurus are probably both going to stay windows indefinitely at this point. But my ex-wife as i said in a previous post I taught to use computers and has only ever used Ubuntu says when at her mothers computer which is xp, "oh my god, how do people use this windows crap I'd rather swallow broken glass."
:guitar:I'm lost ... I've gone to look for myself ... If i should get back before I return ... Please ask me to wait.

sohlinux
November 8th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I would like to be able to use ubuntu/linux 100% of the time but for gaming its just not possible. I have been 50/50 linux/windows for the last 14 years - for the last year im 95% ubuntu 5% windows 7, centos I only use for my servers. its a pity gaming companies dont write for linux, I suppose they will when linux gets more and more popular.

czr114
November 8th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I'm hoping to get there.

I just got a major responsiveness issue fixed. The only thing still tying me to Windows is the need for Visual Studio 2010, which may be getting moved inside a VirtualBox.

hardcorp
November 8th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I only use Windows for work, because I have too.

Goldfissh
November 9th, 2010, 12:18 AM
It annoys me how I can't use Linux at the workplace. I wish they would understand just how amazing it is!

sohlinux
November 9th, 2010, 12:21 AM
It annoys me how I can't use Linux at the workplace. I wish they would understand just how amazing it is!

just tell them, spread the word!

rmcellig
November 9th, 2010, 12:24 AM
I fully agree!!

anthony2010
November 9th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Two machines.

This one 100% Ubuntu - and is my main machine.

A University supplied laptop thats xp PURELY because I need SPSS - and the uni don't supply the linux version of SPSS (which is available)

The day I graduate, the laptop becomes Ubuntu, I install R and learn to use that for the future.

simpleblue
November 9th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I was having trouble just getting onto the net with with XP. I had done about 5 or more reinstalls (all my videos, projects, and important files: gone :() due to viruses. I just put up with the slowdowns in the meantime.

A friend kept telling me about Linux but I kept refusing without even taking a look. And then another person told me about Ubuntu and a little more about Linux and I gave it a try.

I love it! No viruses since. No slowdowns. It works great!

Little Bones
November 9th, 2010, 04:29 AM
I wiped 7 off of here once I burned the recovery disk, satisfying feeling.

throese
November 9th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Switched completely a few weeks ago. Never going back to Windows again. =)

zealibib slaughter
November 9th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I use ubuntu for everything now and only have a virtual windows system for DM Genie. So far its the only thing I couldn't get to work in wine or play on linux.

throese
November 9th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Yeah, I use VirtualBox OSE with Win XP Professional installed, but the Win XP is there for Networking purposes. Otherwise I wouldn't have installed VB OSE. Lol I LOVE NETWORKING.

sstacy
November 9th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately I can't switch to Linux, it is impossible for me as I've been using Windows for a long time and I am used to it.

zeus123
November 9th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I use Ubuntu 99% of the time.

I still have xp on my desktop though. Mainly due to my windows mobile phone and MS flight sim.

rmcellig
November 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I have to say this again. I have been a Mac user since 1988. I use Linux Ubuntu on my iMac in dual partition all the time now. I can do everything in Linux that I can do on my Mac although there are a couple of issues in my dual partition of Linux that don't work on my iMac. That's why I am maxing out my old Dell Dimension 3000 with 2GB of RAM and hopefully a processor upgrade if there is such a thing.

rg4w
November 9th, 2010, 03:12 PM
As a multi-platform developer I spend my day with a fair mix of OS X, Windows, and Ubuntu. But lately I find it's the Ubuntu-powered laptop I prefer to take home with me at the end of the day. :)

Last week I gave a talk on cross-platform design issues at a Mac dev conference, and since my presentation was about cross-platform stuff I decided to think *really* different and was the only person at that Mac venue with a Dell. Should have seen the look on the organizer's face when I pulled it out to set up, but when I opened the lid and he saw the desktop he did quite the double-take and asked, "What is that?", to which I replied, "Ubuntu, of course."

It gets better: it turns out that all day long the presenters had been using the projector in its default setup of 800x600, which explains why the slides looked so rough. Not only did it take me less time to get set up than most of the presenters using Macs, but I was the first one of the day to set the projector resolution correctly, easily in just a few seconds.

Another fine Ubuntu day....

Evil-Ernie
November 9th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Not yet but I'm working on it! ;)

I use my PC for Djing live and for some music production, for that I'm using a dual boot PC with Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.10 installed.

I am starting to explore Mixxx, Muse and Rosegarden more and more on Ubuntu but I still like using Virtual DJ, Fruity Loops and Cubase so I end up returning to my XP OS.

Anybody succesfully producing music on Ubuntu please give me a shout, always up for some hints, tips and advice :)

daldude
November 10th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Not me because it does not support my Flatbed Scanner and it is a Visioneer which is a very common popular brand fallible at most common office supply stores it not like it is some strange unknow no name cheap brand. I bought it at Office Max.

Linux WIFI Support seems not very good or not very easy to set up or get it to recognize WIFI Cards or USB WIFI devices.

I have several Windows programs that won't run in WINE and WINE does not have access to the serial port on my PC and I have a windows program that uses the serial port.

I had to Resinstall because 9.04 is no longer supported and when I tried to upgrade it failed so I had to do a fresh install to 10.04 plus many people say it is better to do a fresh install as apposed to an upgrade.

10.04 has no system sounds except for a few preset ones you can't customize, in 8.04 you had full control over event sounds and in 9.04 you had less but still has some control over system sounds, starting with 9.10 you only got limited control over system sounds.

I Still use Linux mostly but need XP for some programs that don't run in Linux and don't have a equivalent program in Linux that does the same function.

w1ll1am
November 11th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I have Windows XP running in virtual box so i can use iTunes its the only thing keeping me attached. sometimes I pray at night for apple to release an itunes for linux so far nothing.

peyre
November 11th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Unfortunately I can't switch to Linux, it is impossible for me as I've been using Windows for a long time and I am used to it.

Well now, you should know better than that. That doesn't make it impossible; it just means there's a learning curve. I used Windows for a long time myself (still do, mainly at work), but I've switched mostly to *buntu at home. All it takes is the determination to really give it a try, and the stick-to-itiveness to keep trying until your *buntu skills catch up to your Windows ones.

Not saying it's easy, just not impossible.

rmcellig
November 11th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I agree Peyre!! I had so many false starts but you know what? Despite all my initial attempts to like Ubuntu, something was always drawing me back to this great OS. Now I am using it abot 95% of the time instead of using my Mac. Imagine that. I love it!!

SlimBiggins
November 11th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I've been using Ubuntu Linux since version 9.04. At first, I ran a dual boot with Win XP. About three months ago, I switched completely to Ubuntu and haven't looked back.

I use my computer for word processing, file sharing, web/e-mail, instant messaging, and multimedia. I'm running 10.04 now, and haven't had any problems, except for a few minor bugs that were fixed through updates.

I even take a USB flash drive to school with me and boot up a Live session on my college computer. Every now and then I might have an assignment that requires me to use Win 7, but other than that I use Ubuntu Linux for everything.

As long as your hardware is supported and you have a Linux application for everything that you use your computer for, I don't see a need for Windows at all. =)

- SlimBiggins

HermanAB
November 11th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Now that I live in a tax free country, I don't need my Windows XP Quick Tax Virtual Machine anymore. So I am finally Windows free. Being Windows Free and Tax Free is very liberating - you should all try it.

explainer
November 11th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I use a VirtualBox vm of XP in order to support Quicken and Autocad, but that is about it. Otherwise, my network is all Ubuntu: 2 Meerkats, and 1 Lynx.

MasterNetra
November 11th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I use a VirtualBox vm of XP in order to support Quicken and Autocad, but that is about it. Otherwise, my network is all Ubuntu: 2 Meerkats, and 1 Lynx.

Time to update signature maybe? ;)

But yea all linux here. Just a Meerkat for meh.

WarrenL
November 11th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I crossed to the Linux side of the line in January 2010, and I've brought a few compadres with me. Aside from VM for a couple of Windows apps I can't do without (OO.org Calc is not quite there for me yet - I'm still tied to Excel), I'm now a complete Linux convert. There is no going back, ever!

After running 9.10 and then 10.04LTS I made a further jump to Linux Mint 9. This is no criticism of Ubuntu per se (I still love it), but I have found Mint to be the Ubuntu I was actually looking for.

TNT1
November 11th, 2010, 08:28 PM
10.04LTS I made a further jump to Linux Mint 9.

Isn't that a downgrade?:popcorn:

locluca
November 11th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I totally switched to Ubuntu because I couldn't stand my Win Vista crashing all the time. I just hated that "windows expolorer has stop to work" message that appeared so frequently and then Vista was so slow... I'm happy with Maverick now even if I must say I miss iTunes... :guitar:

JP121
November 11th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Right now I am all Ubuntu, but I am getting tired of my netbook losing internet randomly. For Christmas I am going to by a Mac, and turn my big PC into a FreeBSD file server, and keep the netbook on linux for funsies.

A_M_S
November 12th, 2010, 02:00 AM
When i installed Ubuntu10.04 I've made a dual boot with Windows Xp.
That was big mistake because i've never used Windows XP.
Vbox is more than enough for the few Windows applications that i'm still using.

sohlinux
November 12th, 2010, 02:44 AM
When i installed Ubuntu10.04 I've made a dual boot with Windows Xp.
That was big mistake because i've never used Windows XP.
Vbox is more than enough for the few Windows applications that i'm still using.

did u delete your xp partition yet? :)

A_M_S
November 12th, 2010, 04:34 AM
did u delete your xp partition yet? :)

I will start to use it for testing other Linux distributions and new Ubuntu versions.

mamamia88
November 12th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Why limit myself? I love Linux. I think windows 7 and osx are very good operating systems.

MrJLBrown
November 12th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I love Windows XP, but after an automatic update I suffered from frequent crashing--something I had never experienced in XP. It got to the point where it was completely unreliable for long periods of use, so I used Puppy Linux on a flash drive to salvage the files on it, and then used an Ubuntu 10.4 live disc to install over Windows. I had experimented with Ubuntu during the summer in a various wubi installations (UNR, Ubuntu 10.4 and 10.1), and I liked Lucid the best.

The best advantage of Ubuntu or any Linux distro is that when you have the install disc, you can always reinstall your system. The problem with out-of-the-box pc's are that they ship with maybe a recovery disc (which didn't work out for me) so when that computer crashes, you can only really buy a new one. It's a good thing one of my favorite hobbies is downloading operating systems to demo them, or I'd be screwed without anything to boot into.

peyre
November 12th, 2010, 06:51 AM
A balanced approach, mamamia. I (hesitanatly) agree, Windows 7 is a good OS. And OSX is too, by all accounts. I bailed on Windows during the Vista days. But I'm glad you're keeping a foot in the Linux world.

CsG_kieran_2
November 13th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Been away from Windows for a good few months now. Problem with gaming? I bought a PS3 lol :KS no need to worry!

mamamia88
November 13th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Been away from Windows for a good few months now. Problem with gaming? I bought a PS3 lol :KS no need to worry!

good choice if you like football/soccer get fifa 11. you may never want to play another game again. it's so addicting

CoffeeCoder
November 13th, 2010, 04:00 AM
A few months ago, I completely switched to Linux (Ubuntu 10.04), but then a couple of months later, I had to wipe my hard drive and reinstall Windows for a video editing project.

Now, today, I have finally gotten around to installing 10.10 (while packing up for a cross-country move!), and I am LOVING it! A couple of problems I had with 10.04 have been completely fixed. It truly is "The Perfect 10". I may yet again switch over completely, if only I wasn't so reliant on gaming and programming a game in DarkBASIC Pro (Windows-only game programming software). Oh well. I don't mind dual-booting so much. :P

peyre
November 13th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Sadly it's not the Perfect 10 for me. My main computer is running Xubuntu and handled the upgrade just fine, but my new old laptop won't run Lubuntu 10.10 well. I'm downgrading because my parents' laptop was stolen so I'm giving them mine rather than have them buy a whole new one. My new old one is about 10 years old--it's a great machine, but very slow by today's standards--hence Lubuntu.

Anyway, Lubuntu 10.04 runs great on that old machine. But 10.10 logs me out every now and then--seemingly when I've left it for a while. Or if I open Wine. If I open Wine, it logs me out. Every time, and right away. But since 10.04 is an LTS release, I can live with that. Too bad though--I'd rather run the latest and greatest.

gatoulys
November 13th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I've been running Linux distros since the end of 2007,and Ubuntu since 'Intrepid'8.10 was released, my machines refuse to work with windows they both crash every time they see a window around, I had some minor problems with the sound volume on 9.04, 9.10, 10,04, but with 10.10 Maverick I've had no problems at all, as for videos, DVD I use Kino, Devede, Totem, and for games I mainly play Wesnoth, Bos Wars, Widelands, Glest, so I don't need windows at all.:P

darshan123
November 13th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I still have windows since some websites need Windows+InternetExplorer to work properly (Basically all the gov websites).

CoffeeCoder
November 13th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Sadly it's not the Perfect 10 for me. My main computer is running Xubuntu and handled the upgrade just fine, but my new old laptop won't run Lubuntu 10.10 well. I'm downgrading because my parents' laptop was stolen so I'm giving them mine rather than have them buy a whole new one. My new old one is about 10 years old--it's a great machine, but very slow by today's standards--hence Lubuntu.

Anyway, Lubuntu 10.04 runs great on that old machine. But 10.10 logs me out every now and then--seemingly when I've left it for a while. Or if I open Wine. If I open Wine, it logs me out. Every time, and right away. But since 10.04 is an LTS release, I can live with that. Too bad though--I'd rather run the latest and greatest.

Sorry it's not the perfect 10 for you. :\

Knowing Ubuntu, they'll have most of the bugs sorted out soon...you probably won't have to wait too long for 10.10.1 to come out. :) Or maybe you should just wait until 11.04, since that will probably be more stable than 10.10 and 10.10.1. :P

tolf242
November 13th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I have just made the full switch. Had a brief encounter with Red Hat 8 many years ago on a second system, gaming was what kept me using Windows. Few weeks ago my Vista laptop was playing up, so I installed Open-Suse to try linux again, not too keen on Suse. Then my main pc running Vista was just not playing by the rules any more, so I have dived in head first and installed Ubuntu 10-10. Very pleased so far and have no intention of turning back.

burdebc
November 14th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I use Ubuntu for most things, but since my video card and USB tv tuner don't have linux drivers I have to keep dual booting windows for playing games and watching tv.

stevolime
November 14th, 2010, 03:53 AM
I probably will never switch over completely. I want to have an IT job, so knowing how to fix the always broken Window is a must.

peyre
November 14th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Sorry it's not the perfect 10 for you. :\

Knowing Ubuntu, they'll have most of the bugs sorted out soon...you probably won't have to wait too long for 10.10.1 to come out. :) Or maybe you should just wait until 11.04, since that will probably be more stable than 10.10 and 10.10.1. :P

Thanks Jeremy. Oh I'll be fine. Remember this is my secondary machine, and one of very limited capability, so I don't expect too much of it. I probably will experiment with 11.04 and see if I can get that to work. I understand that as of 10.10, Lubuntu offers limited support for moving icons on the Desktop (currently they're placed just wherever the OS wants to put them, and it rearranges them on reboot, and you can't move them). So that would be a nice feature. But it's a nice-to-have, not an important item. NOT logging me out for no reason is an important item. ;)

So I'll play with 11.04, and if it works better, I'll upgrade to that. If not, hey I'm on the LTS version, and that's not a bad place to be either.

Lvcoyote
November 14th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I've been about 95% Ubuntu 10.04 (Mint) for a while now. Just a couple small things I need Windows for, but my day to day usage is pretty much all Linux now days. I also work as an IT Specialist, so I do need to keep my Windows skills up to date :) About the only disappointment I have is the slower internet with my current version of Linux vs. Windows7. I did do some MTU tweaking which helped some, but it's still not on par with Windows7.

Kexolino
November 14th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I switched completely. Though I'm not the super demanding type user, so if I finally get wine working I'll probably be satisfied :) It's a shame that flash can be slow, especially in FF...

azcrumpty
November 14th, 2010, 05:32 PM
You know, I've used Linux for some time and I figured by now I would be able to switch. But there are always those little things: netflix, scanner, tv tuner card. But you know...this subject comes up frequently in Linux discussions. I don't think it is necessary. Non windows code has won in my household. Linux and unix things:

Dish DVR
Linksys router
Pfsense gateway
I will assume my link sys voip box
iPad, iPhone, 2 macs, 2 iPods
Verizin cell isn't windows
PS2 and tons of other electronic devices

Windows stuff:
Gaming PC
Micrsoft office
Work laptop

I don,t think this discussion is necessary anymore. Microsoft has a lot of competition in non desktop/laptop electronic devices.

I use Ubuntu for most things, but since my video card and USB tv tuner don't have linux drivers I have to keep dual booting windows for playing games and watching tv.

resthavener
November 14th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Need to keep a windows box (the wife's laptop) for printing. The ubuntu driver for my hp4550 is rubbish (the Windows driver just works).

baverys
November 14th, 2010, 10:00 PM

i think Ubuntu is awesome, and just keeps getting better. I have a dual boot on both my boxes. The only reason is compatibility issues with games and some hardware. Otherwise it would be Ubuntu all the way! My Fly Fusion Pentop is one piece of hardware i would like to see working. The support network is great. And the people in it are as friendly as it gets

Garthhh
November 14th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Need to keep a windows box (the wife's laptop) for printing. The ubuntu driver for my hp4550 is rubbish (the Windows driver just works).

that's interesting my hp 4400 was plug n play, which needed the driver uninstalled & reinstalled everytime I needed to use the printer in vista

walt.smith1960
November 15th, 2010, 12:57 AM
QuickBooks is pretty universal and the files CPA's and such want to see. Unless newer Quickbooks versions run well under WINE I think small businesses are going to be reliant on Windows for that function. Of course with PCs that support virtualization well.................

dwpbike
November 15th, 2010, 02:33 AM
no windows or wine since 2003. did borrow daughter's laptop for att dsl setup (they check browser), but haven't had a need for anything computer related.

peyre
November 15th, 2010, 06:10 AM
I've been about 95% Ubuntu 10.04 (Mint) for a while now. Just a couple small things I need Windows for, but my day to day usage is pretty much all Linux now days. I also work as an IT Specialist, so I do need to keep my Windows skills up to date :) About the only disappointment I have is the slower internet with my current version of Linux vs. Windows7. I did do some MTU tweaking which helped some, but it's still not on par with Windows7.

That's strange. I haven't noticed any Internet slowdowns with Ubuntu. My system surfs just as fast as my wife's Windows box, as far as I can tell. (Then again, our DSL connection is very slow by most people's standards.) Might be something specific with the driver for your network card, or maybe there's something odd in the OS itself. I assume you've posted something about it here on the forums?

That said, I envy your ~95% figure. Computer-wise, I'm outnumbered here. My main system and laptop are both Unbuntu variants (Xubuntu and Lubuntu respectively), and my wife's are XP and 7, and the kids have an old XP machine. And I still find myself borrowing the wife's machine for some things, largely because my system seems to have mounting issues.

Lvcoyote
November 15th, 2010, 06:33 AM
That's strange. I haven't noticed any Internet slowdowns with Ubuntu. My system surfs just as fast as my wife's Windows box, as far as I can tell. (Then again, our DSL connection is very slow by most people's standards.) Might be something specific with the driver for your network card, or maybe there's something odd in the OS itself. I assume you've posted something about it here on the forums?

That said, I envy your ~95% figure. Computer-wise, I'm outnumbered here. My main system and laptop are both Unbuntu variants (Xubuntu and Lubuntu respectively), and my wife's are XP and 7, and the kids have an old XP machine. And I still find myself borrowing the wife's machine for some things, largely because my system seems to have mounting issues.

Yes, I have posted here about the issue, the guy helping me had me change a MTU setting which helped a little, but basically when clicking on a link it can take 15 to 20 seconds before firefox starts going there, then the site gets about 95% done loading and hangs again for 15 to 20 secs and finally finishes. Here is a link to thread I started....
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1619527
Thanks

mdawgmike
November 15th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I wish I could say it was complete. But, like many others, mainstream computer games is what keeps me dual-booting to Windows. I'd say, overall, I use Linux about 80% of the time on my home computer...pretty much whenever I'm NOT gaming. I've come to take Linux Mint as my distro of choice, but Ubuntu was definitely what captured my attention. I'm a relatively new Linux user...having used it off and on for the last three years or so.

lifeform23
November 15th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I have been using Ubuntu "exclusively" at home for about 5 years now. I put quotes on exclusively because I still run XP in virtual box for photo printing on my Canon IP4200, as this has been the last thing that I haven't been able to get Ubuntu to do. When the time comes to replace that printer I will be sure to select one that has full support under Linux

nooodles
November 16th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I have 6 machines in the house and only use Linux (3x Ubuntu, 1x CentOS, 1x PCLinux 2009)
The 6'th unit is the wifes laptop with XP. I'd nuke that too..but... I have trouble getting 'TV OUT'
on the Linux boxes to work as I want. Tried a number of items but unless I allow the default
display to be the TV.... I can't seam to quite get it.

Have a second laptop out there testing...Once I get that down...bye windows.

guimaster
November 17th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I am trying to make the switch. I just bought a netbook and I wiped Windows 7 off the next day. That netbook is Ubuntu only. (Windows 7 desktop is UGLY!!! Not to mention the Microsoft spyware...)

I still need XP for a few things but I will try it in Virtualbox to see if I can avoid the dual-boot. I am actually debating purchasing a dock and using the netbook as my main computer for the next few years. I actually think I could get by just on the netbook as I haven't bought a new computer game in years and my laptop is a Dell Latitude from 2003. I am still playing Diablo 2 and Civilization 3 on the rare occassion. Otherwise I use Full Tilt and Poker Academy. Until these four programs score a "Platinum" rating in Wine I will be staying with XP. But by 2014 when XP is no longer supported - if the world goes on that long - Ubuntu and Wine (maybe ReactOS) will have come a long way.

santosh83
November 18th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Hmm. I started with venerable Windows 98, but soon had it dual booting with Linux Mandrake. Then for a few years I used dual-boot or triple-boot combinations of Windows 98, Windows XP, and successive RedHat distributions. Then tried Debian nearly five years back and soon switched over to Ubuntu. Have been using Ubuntu since Dapper Drake (seems so long ago now!) Ever since 2007, I have been using Linux exclusively. I was a NFS freak during the Windows days, but have been able to abstain ever since coming over to Linux, though not without some withdrawal symptoms;-) Anyway, that was my only real necessity for using Windows; everything else I can get done under Linux more efficiently and pleasing than it ever was under Windows. :-)

sohlinux
November 18th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Hmm. I started with venerable Windows 98, but soon had it dual booting with Linux Mandrake. Then for a few years I used dual-boot or triple-boot combinations of Windows 98, Windows XP, and successive RedHat distributions. Then tried Debian nearly five years back and soon switched over to Ubuntu. Have been using Ubuntu since Dapper Drake (seems so long ago now!) Ever since 2007, I have been using Linux exclusively. I was a NFS freak during the Windows days, but have been able to abstain ever since coming over to Linux, though not without some withdrawal symptoms;-) Anyway, that was my only real necessity for using Windows; everything else I can get done under Linux more efficiently and pleasing than it ever was under Windows. :-)

NFS Withdrawal can be hard I know too well. NFS is the only thing I miss, but I do occasionally boot up windows for a quick fix :lol:

czr114
November 18th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I'm now booting 100% Linux, with Windows confined to a VirtualBox session, used for VS2010 and app testing.

czr114
November 18th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I am trying to make the switch. I just bought a netbook and I wiped Windows 7 off the next day. That netbook is Ubuntu only. (Windows 7 desktop is UGLY!!! Not to mention the Microsoft spyware...)

7 can be cleaned up with rt7lite. Remove Aero, themes, and all of the other junk, and it'll look and function like XP, but with some improved memory caching, DX11 support, and a few other goodies.

Destructo47
November 18th, 2010, 02:01 AM

I would kill for a copy of 7 just so I can shut everyone up about having crappy 2k on the main (not mine which is Ubuntu) computer. Plus the fact it has all of those drivers...*drools.

But, other than that I find Ubuntu is better than Windows for several reasons. Incompatibility with some programs and games is something I can deal with. It works fine for just about anything I want to do and it has a lot more FREEWARE available than Windows. Plus it has near-immunity to viruses and other crap.

I have been using Ubuntu since March/April of this year and I can say I am very happy. Small issues keep me from switching completely, though.

disastrophe
November 18th, 2010, 03:09 PM
There are Quake builds for Linux but you need to compile them. There are also binary equivalents such as Open Arena available in the repos. Others in that genre include Alien Arena, Blood Frontier and a few others. Some are in the GetDeb repos.

TNT1
November 18th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Open Arena is awesome. Ok, I am a non-gamer, but I like it.

gianluca.pettinello
November 18th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Switched completely to Linux on 2007 after many years of dual boot. And I'm happy of the choice

Ric_NYC
November 18th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Quake live

http://www.quakelive.com/

It works on Firefox only.

Register, download the plugin, install the game and play Quake on Firefox.

alienprdkt
November 19th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Well I didn't switch to Linux completly but I have switch to Unix completely.. hahaha

Has been just about 3 yrs. now since I threw windows in the trash.

I use Ubuntu for laptops, Ubuntu server for my LAMPS! Centos for my Asterisk pbx box, and Gentoo for routing.

And anything that requires production is use mac osx 10.5.

Am so glad that I don't have to worry about blue screens and viruses and loaded spyware! And no more worries about will it start up next time I decide to reboot? Or the When was the last time I rebooted, no wonder its running like crap!

The gaming thing doesn't bother me because I find productive things to do with my time, don't even have cable!

Curbuntu
November 22nd, 2010, 06:47 PM
Just about everything in the household runs Ubuntu only. One of the two exceptions was my production laptop, which tortured me with Vista Home Premium daily. I kept it that way because I was afraid I'd undermine my extended warranty. Then four months ago, Vista threw an error which (long story short) required a complete re-installation of the OS from Hell. With no useful repair option available (unlike XP and earlier versions), I took the plunge. (I lost no data because we harness what I call "disciplined paranoia" around here when it comes to backing up.) And I had been using almost all F/LOSS software anyway.

The change in computing was something equivalent to discovering that the horse I thought was a decrepit plow-horse turning out to be an amazingly fast thoroughbred.

I do occasionally run XP Home in VirtualBox because: a) there is one research program I use which hasn't more than a remotely distant equivalent in Linux (and it won't run in WINE); and, b) I'm still extracting data from my Outlook.pst file for use in Thunderbird.

We have two other Ubuntu-only laptops, an Ubuntu audio-server, a "learn-the-command-line" Ubuntu server, and an Amahi server running on top of Fedora. The last M$ machine standing is my wife's desktop, and the only reason that hasn't been changed over is because I just can't find the time. (The wife, too, runs almost all F/LOSS software, and one of the Ubuntu laptops is hers, so about the only change she'll have to make is switch from Outlook to Thunderbird -- and she already uses Tbird on the laptop.)

Starks
November 22nd, 2010, 08:01 PM
Ubuntu has been my primary OS since 2007.

I have a Windows partition that I keep around for the 1% of tasks that Wine or VM can't deal with.

It's pointless to be dogmatic and cast off Widows completely.

jshepherd
November 22nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
I'd love to move completely to OOo etc but really, it doesn't come close in many areas. Calc has many fewer formatting options and Writer cannot successfully open some Word XP doc's and no amount of reformatting can improve some tables created in Word and open jumbled up in Writer. Pity. For what I want these are the only things stopping me completely switching to Ubuntu - 'been using Ubuntu since 7.10. I'm just trying a WINE installation of Office 2007, Work and Excel seem ok but OneNote is very unstable - again, BasKet still weaker.

Mrandersonjr
November 22nd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Just using Arch (http://archlinux.org) Linux here. I Do not need anything else.

Alpha101
November 22nd, 2010, 10:30 PM
"learn-the-command-line" Ubuntu server

Where and how can I access this?

cerebrumgnarum
November 22nd, 2010, 10:36 PM
1 week ago completley swithed to ubuntu i hope by time all game companies start to support linux

peyre
November 22nd, 2010, 11:18 PM
Where and how can I access this?

I think what he meant was that since it's running Ubuntu Server Version, it's command-line only, which is forcing him to learn the command line instead of "cheating" and going to the GUI to do things he's not familiar with. If that sounds like something you'd be interested in, you can download the Server Version from the Ubuntu site: http://www.ubuntu.com/server.

For me personally, give me a solid GUI, and make it look & act like Windows 2000 as much as possible*. But it's great to be able to do tons of stuff from the command line; I admire people who do that, though I'm not really interested in learning it myself.

* Yes, I realize such a statement may raise eyebows. But even though I'm a big fan of open source, Linux, and Ubuntu, still I do love the Windows interface. It's not for everyone, but I like it.

Alpha101
November 23rd, 2010, 12:06 AM
Hmm...I'm about to say screw it and boot a VM of a CLI only version of Linux...maybe disable Ubuntu GUI and do that hmm.
EDIT- Gonna try your server route instead, why not learn how to run a server eh?

peyre
November 23rd, 2010, 01:36 AM
Hmm...I'm about to say screw it and boot a VM of a CLI only version of Linux...maybe disable Ubuntu GUI and do that hmm.
EDIT- Gonna try your server route instead, why not learn how to run a server eh?

I think another option would be to change your runlevel from 5 to 3--that disables the GUI on bootup, so next time you restart you'd come up CLI-only. Then you could switch between the two any time you wanted with a file change and a reboot. (Note: I don't know offhand where you need to make that change, but it should be easy enough to find online.)

santosh83
November 23rd, 2010, 02:52 AM
I think another option would be to change your runlevel from 5 to 3--that disables the GUI on bootup, so next time you restart you'd come up CLI-only. Then you could switch between the two any time you wanted with a file change and a reboot. (Note: I don't know offhand where you need to make that change, but it should be easy enough to find online.)

Another option is to simply do CTRL+ALT+F1 when presented with the graphical login screen, which will take you back to the CLI, and anytime you want the GUI, do ALT+F7.

Although it's funny I should be saying this, since weirdly, CTRL+ALT+F1 doesn't work for me from the GUI, but does work in text mode. I've stopped trying to figure out what's wrong here.

nmyrick
November 24th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I LOVE UBUNTU!! I have been an Ubuntu user now for about 5 years. It has been the only OS on my laptop for the last three years, which is my only computer.

Why do I love it, one might ask? I am an IT Technician, and I just got done spending 4+ hours removing 89 infected files from a Windows XP laptop.

I came home and turned on my laptop, clicked on Evolution Mail, blinked once and completely missed the loading process! My mail was just there, waiting for me to read it! And that was with my processors only set to 'on demand' mode! They weren't even running full throttle!

UBUNTU ROCKS!!!

matt_symes
November 24th, 2010, 01:16 AM
I would never completely switch to any one platform, although i have my favourites.

nmyrick
November 24th, 2010, 01:25 AM
For running windows games, go to http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/ . It is a pay program, but you can download a trial version. I don't really do games, but I know that CrossOver Linux works great for MS Office Products.

westkid
November 25th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Been using linux for over 8 years now and have completely thrown out windows. Running ubuntu 10.04LTS now and loving it.Started using ubuntu from ver 8.0

I'mGeorge
November 25th, 2010, 09:19 PM
As long as windows xp can still execute my programs that i need for work, and this it's the only reason I'm still keeping windows on my PC. there's no rush for me to erase it. When the newest versions of the applications i need won't be supported by win xp that's when I'll completely remove windows, and execute those apps with wine, a windows inside virtual box and so on, 'cause i don't want Vista or another Windows that comes on a DVD separately installed on my computer.

c00lwaterz
November 25th, 2010, 09:55 PM
i use windows and linux on dual boot. years ago, i use linux something like 1% because of some issues then now, i mean right now, i use ubuntu something like 70% and 30% windows. I have compatibility issues but i like the linux. I also use windows for some program that don't run in linux (some games, etc).

if I will learn how to use wine (if i have time) then i will play here in linux most of the time.

I will surely move 100% when I got a new 100% compatible laptop for linux. my problem right now is fan (toshiba laptop). I only use suspend for my fan to work. but i am trying to use ubuntu as my main OS because of light, open, the happy community and passion or love for it. I learn very slow in linux but i will take time to learn more.

Kenan_R
November 27th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Two thing left XP as dualboot option. One is vpn cisco client with Microsoft certificate (couldn't make it work under linux), and other is capturing video tv signal (didn't manage to make good and simple way of capturing tv to xvid )

Christie_k22
November 28th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Ive only been using Linux for a little over a year now. First on my laptop and now on my desktop as well. The only reason I am ever on windows anymore is to play FFXI . . . which I haven't played since late June due to my living arrangements and lack of money. If there was a way I could get Playonline (ffxi/ffxiv) and windower to work on Ubuntu I would use it 100% of the time. Unfortunately I have yet to figure out how to do so.

leeper69
November 28th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I have been window$ free since 2001 and am using Mepis and Ubuntu Linux
only. I tried red hat but don't like the rpm based systems. the games just keep getting better all the time I also use my system to watch tv, using Kaffeine for free over the air hdtv with recording and have just started editing video with Pitivi video editor. you might want to try this one!

BlueSpecial
November 29th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Just tried this amazing OS and I'm almost converted... Windows is just for company work (proprietary software that only runs on Windows) and some games... the rest is Ubuntu 10.10 ;)

wildbill46
November 30th, 2010, 07:19 AM
FREE at last, FREE at last, Thank the Lord, I'm free at last! No more dual boot. No more windows machine. No more microsoft anywhere!!!!! I just formatted my hard drive and installed Maverick only. Me so happy!:D:P:);)

manzdagratiano
December 1st, 2010, 03:45 AM
Been windows free for a year and a half now... dual boot Ubuntu and Arch... never gonna go back... And with the awesomeness of wine, I can play Serious Sam on Ubuntu flawlessly!

ndefontenay
December 1st, 2010, 03:47 AM
Completely switched.

I still got windows 7 but I was considering removing it completely recently.
That was until I decided to develop a web page and testing on IE will be necessary...

I also advocate linux a lot and it's going pretty fine for the moment.

janpol
December 2nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
Completely switched.
That was until I decided to develop a web page and testing on IE will be necessary...

For that, you could try to install IE using Wine, or you could just have a virtual machine with windows on it (if you are going to use Windows only for testing your web on IE...I think this is the best option).

alaukikyo
December 2nd, 2010, 05:07 PM
For running windows games, go to http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/ . It is a pay program, but you can download a trial version. I don't really do games, but I know that CrossOver Linux works great for MS Office Products.

playonlinux is free AND better:p

wylekat
December 2nd, 2010, 09:04 PM
I have XP on a little Dell box for the following: Bryce 7.0, and Netflix. No other reasons, really. Xp is a pain to get to work, a pain to maintain, and a DOUBLE pain when it can catch crap from ANYTHING. I spend 2 hours putting the antivirus, anti adware, anti malware, defrag, reboot, registry clean, and on and on and on. I have 10.04 on my dual core 3d machine. My only complaint is Blender and Yafaray like to crash without warning.

The day netflix announces the Ubuntu OS as 'worthy', xp is gone. G O N E from the little Dell box. I think I can live without bryce. I have Blender, and yafaray, and a host of other programs. I got Photoshop Elements 2 running thanks to WINE. I play Linux games.

I will be getting a laptop soon, it's got 10.04 installed on it as well- it's a 1.4 ghz, but it runs pretty darn fast with it on there. I will put some doodle programs and get a new battery for it so I can sketch in it when I get an idea.

JonM33
December 3rd, 2010, 01:20 AM
Just switched to Linux Mint 10 completely. Had to quit all my PC gaming in order to drop Windows. The easiest way to do that was to buy a PS3 to serve all my gaming needs. Most games on the PC are console ports anyway.

Cam!
December 3rd, 2010, 01:51 AM
No. As long as Linux doesn't have a decent audio editing program, I'll stick with my FL Studio/Pro Tools on Windows.

jboyette
December 3rd, 2010, 11:26 PM
I have a walmart special laptop, hp g60, amd processor, and have been running ubuntu exclusively for 3 years now. Haven't seen, touched or sniffed any microsoft operating systems, and frankly, don't miss it. I do have to say though that i don't do any 'hardcore' gaming, and couldn't if i wanted to with this laptop, and am very pleased with everything. Have realized that with this invaluable forum, i can do 99.99% of things that window users do. Have had no complaints.

manzdagratiano
December 4th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I have XP on a little Dell box for the following: Bryce 7.0, and Netflix. No other reasons, really. Xp is a pain to get to work, a pain to maintain, and a DOUBLE pain when it can catch crap from ANYTHING. I spend 2 hours putting the antivirus, anti adware, anti malware, defrag, reboot, registry clean, and on and on and on. I have 10.04 on my dual core 3d machine. My only complaint is Blender and Yafaray like to crash without warning.

The day netflix announces the Ubuntu OS as 'worthy', xp is gone. G O N E from the little Dell box. I think I can live without bryce. I have Blender, and yafaray, and a host of other programs. I got Photoshop Elements 2 running thanks to WINE. I play Linux games.

I will be getting a laptop soon, it's got 10.04 installed on it as well- it's a 1.4 ghz, but it runs pretty darn fast with it on there. I will put some doodle programs and get a new battery for it so I can sketch in it when I get an idea.

Netflix needs Winblows because of Microsoft Silverlight. Although there is an open source port of it now using mono - called Moonlight - I have read that Netflix still does not work on Ubuntu thanks to DRM issues which have not yet been ported to Moonlight. I hope that is resolved soon too, and then I may consider getting Netflix myself.

Here's the link:

http://geekshuiliving.com/2010/05/10/netflix-on-linux-why-this-is-advantageous-for-everyone/

BigCityCat
December 4th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I was using windows because I needed to use citrix to operate my work pc. Then I discovered virtualbox and installed windows seven in the virtualbox. Now I am using citrix on Ubuntu with win7 in a virtualbox. I really have no reason to use windows on my personal pc now.

pveurshout
December 5th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Although I kept the Vista installation that came with my laptop about a year and a half ago, I haven't booted into it for over a year now. Maybe it's time to start putting the hard drive space into good use ;)

At work I still use Windows and Microsoft Office, though. I keep a portable version of OOo on a USB stick for documents that I need to edit both at home and in the office.

(...)

I have never even touched a Vista/Windows 7 machine.

Hehe, I used Windows 7 for 10 minutes in total. That's when it crashed.

fatharraxman
December 5th, 2010, 04:28 PM

I erased windows from my life nevertheless I need many windows stuff but never mind no other microsoft bug in my home:D

99_rover
December 5th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I dumped Windows because I really enjoy Linux and its philosophy - generally works well once you get past some of the set up issues - however issues with email have been a plague over the last week and may send me back (at least for that)

mamamia88
December 6th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I went back to windows 7 because I couldn't go 12 hours without some sort of problem on 10.10. I guess I could have gone back to 10.04 but oh well. I took up a new hobby homebrewing and windows has a lot of software for that

peyre
December 6th, 2010, 06:05 AM
I went back to windows 7 because I couldn't go 12 hours without some sort of problem on 10.10. I guess I could have gone back to 10.04 but oh well. I took up a new hobby homebrewing and windows has a lot of software for that

Yeah, my laptop didn't like 10.10 either, but it runs great on 10.04. I figured I could do worse than run the LTS on it for the time being.

Dude, you've taken up homebrewing? Feel free to email me if you need pointers--I've been at it for a while (lordpeyre@yahoo.com). So what're you brewing?

putush
December 6th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I have been using Linux exclusively since 2006. Been nothing short of happy.

sp-1070
December 6th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I starded of with windows

then suse back to windows lots of other linux distro's over the past time.
Then windows 7 wich was kinda cool *.^ crash
crunchbang wich i love crashed.
so back to ubuntu 10.10 on my netbook :)
i recommend switching to ubuntu 100%.
i do have a pc with windows 7 for some gaming

bogustrumper
December 6th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I've been on Linux at work since 2005, and Linux-only at home since 2007, when I bought a no-OS laptop to make up for the fact that my then girlfriend (now wife) was going to Australia for two weeks but didn't want me to come. I've been really happy in general. Started with Fedora, moved to Sabayon for awhile, then went with Ubuntu LTS for a little more stability, with all the requisite distro-hopping in between. I recently switched jobs and inherited a Windows XP computer with some mission-critical and MS-only software, but managed to migrate that installation to a virtual machine. Phew!

Not paying for software is awesome. Since I don't feel comfortable stealing/hacking/etc commercial programs, Linux with it's huge collection of very functional, free (as in beer or speech) software has been fantastic!

geoff07
December 6th, 2010, 06:28 PM
And even when you do pay the chances are that some of your paid software contains pirated open-source. Check out all the paid apps that have ffmpeg inside them:

http://www.ffmpeg.org/shame.html

Tweak42
December 6th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Started using my laptop on Ubuntu 95% of the time last year, and migrated my desktop to Ubuntu few months ago. I still keep XP and Win7 partitions just in case, but try to do everything in linux as possible, including gaming. Thank heavens for reasonable 3D drivers.

mamamia88
December 7th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Yeah, my laptop didn't like 10.10 either, but it runs great on 10.04. I figured I could do worse than run the LTS on it for the time being.

Dude, you've taken up homebrewing? Feel free to email me if you need pointers--I've been at it for a while (lordpeyre@yahoo.com). So what're you brewing? i've done 2 extract batches so far a pale ale and a brown ale. just got a cooler in the mail today that i'm gonna convert into a mash tun.

Johnny420
December 7th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I made the switch completely and I'm never going back!!!
NIXIE was the first person to to show me the power Ubuntu has and I messed with it for a few months but just a few weeks ago I got rid of w*****s all together and it has been liberating to get m****-S**t off my back

Thanx Nixie

NIXIE ROCKS!!!!!!!

owiknowi
December 7th, 2010, 05:07 AM
At home I only work with Free Software (where ever possible).
Even only try to buy computers sold without a ms wx license.

Unfortunately even those computers have their driver problems.

Strange that there seems to be just one OS that works with all those brands. Do they perhaps invented or even own the computer technology?
Don't think so...

peyre
December 7th, 2010, 05:13 AM
At home I only work with Free Software (where ever possible).
Even only try to buy computers sold without a ms wx license.

Unfortunately even those computers have their driver problems.

Strange that there seems to be just one OS that works with all those brands. Do they perhaps invented or even own the computer technology?
Don't think so...

You mean Windows? It's because someone has to write the drivers for the software, and if you're the manufacturer, for sure you're going to write drivers for the OS that has 90%+ market share. But will you write a driver for Linux, with its ~1% market share? And then create multiple package files (deb, deb 64-bit, rpm, and rpm 64-bit, at least)? Much as I like Linux, I have to admit that a lot of businesses are likely to find that cost-ineffective. So in the end, the Linux community has to write a lot of its own drivers, and while enthusiasts will work for free, they rarely work on demand.

owiknowi
December 7th, 2010, 05:41 AM
You mean Windows? It's because someone has to write the drivers for the software, and if you're the manufacturer, for sure you're going to write drivers for the OS that has 90%+ market share. But will you write a driver for Linux, with its ~1% market share? And then create multiple package files (deb, deb 64-bit, rpm, and rpm 64-bit, at least)? Much as I like Linux, I have to admit that a lot of businesses are likely to find that cost-ineffective. So in the end, the Linux community has to write a lot of its own drivers, and while enthusiasts will work for free, they rarely work on demand.

Thanks for your reply.
I'm very much aware of the reasons you mentioned, but I would like some freedom of choice.
Same price, different OS (see the server market, it seems possible).

Governments (all tax money) and businesses could and should play a leading role here. Look for example to Spain, France, Brasil and so on.

Now it's rather difficult to advise an alternative to organizations who do want to part from ms wx.

peyre
December 8th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Ah, I wondered if I was being painfully obvious. Sorry 'bout that.

I think a big part of Linux's problem is OEMs. When someone goes to buy a computer, it comes with Windows by default if you're lucky, or with no alternative if you're not lucky. And there's no line item for Windows in the price; it's included. And even if the cost were mentioned, at around $50 most people would consider it a good price. Most people don't know, or care, that it's a restricted license that you can't install on another machine. So in essence, Microsoft has become the economic equivalent of a pushy individual--it's encroached on the market in such a way that anyone trying to offer something else (even for free) looks like the invasive party.

rmcellig
December 8th, 2010, 03:05 PM
As much as I like using Ubuntu, the main reason I need and want to use it I can't. It's so frustrating and sounds so basic to me.

Al I need to do is record my radio show from a radio I have plugged into my iMac. That's right. For now, I am dual booting on my iMac until I can afford to buy a dedicated PC desktop just for Ubuntu.

I can't beleive that there seems to be no way for me to record my shows from my radio. Works fine when I boot into the Mac side and even when I use Ubuntu using VMware Fusion. When I boot into Ubuntu directly, Audio In in the Sound preferences doesn't seem to work. No audio coming through when I try to record from the radio.

I posted before to other forums with no luck. I really hope that there is someone out there that can really help me with this. Very disconcerting considering all that Ubuntu has to offer!!.

jadonchristensen
December 8th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I cannot, due to gaming and Netflix. :(

lumore22
December 8th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Greetings all -

Since I installed Ubuntu in May 2010, I've been using it for almost everything. Although I would prefer to use it exclusively for everything, the one reason I still have a dual boot system is that I have a Java IDE - Eclipse - installed on my Windows partition. And I like programming in Java. For everything else I use Ubuntu and I love all the free software available for it. BTW, I use only free or open source software and its remarkable how rich the functionality of that software is. Two weeks ago I installed POV-Ray and already I am able to create really great graphics (RGG's ? ha-ha). A little bit of levity there - just came out as I am typing.

The point that I wish to make is that if I had been on a Windows system, much of this great functionality would have had a hefty price tag.

The open source community is a great place to be for newbie's like myself and for seasoned users/developers.

Happy Open Source Day!

Regards to all -

roy913
December 9th, 2010, 06:40 AM
to me its pretty much about 99% linux and 1% windows.

i use an old laptap exclusive to ubuntu at work, which is a almost full gnome experience with epiphany, yarr, empathy and thunderbird.

at home, i dual boot mint & xp, i have to keep xp as i need activeX once a while for a particular website, which wine cannot do the job.

ondooga
December 9th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I have fully switched........kinda. We have a few PCs in the house (desktop & laptop ) and we have always run Windows. I'm using a Pentium D 3ghz 1gb RAM Medion PC about 5 yrs old and I had it loaded with the tweaked XP pro sp3 Gold Cobra version which was probably the best OS in the house (Vista,7, XP Home ).I wanted a change so decided to go with Ubuntu and this is the OS for me, it's sorta like a cross between MAC and PC but with only all the best bits !!
So all in all I reckon I'm using Windows 5% and 95% Ubuntu
Sweet As :D

Nath4n
December 9th, 2010, 05:58 PM
No windows for me for about 6 years. I've been using Linux since SuSE 9.1 i think. Fell in love with Ubuntu, just bought a new acer aspire one net book that came with Windows 7 Starter which is a complete joke. Only ran windows long enough to d/l UNR 10.10 and burn it to USB and then installed ubuntu, whole hard drive. Microsoft, take that 79.95 for your win 7 and stick up your... well you know..

ingeva
December 11th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I switched to Linux from 8.04, which was the first version that would install on my (too) new computer.
I still have to use Windows (XP) from time to time because after 8.04 there's no support on Linux for my professional scanner - and even at 8.04 the software supported just the basic functions (no film scanning; only paper).
Well, what can I say? Even Linux has flaws. Nothing is perfect but Linux is closer.

There are three other good reasons to use Windows of course:
1. You just can't LIVE without all its lovely quirks and problems.
2. You have too much money and you need something to waste them on, and you don't want to make a mistake and give it to the poor. The rich appreciate it more.
3. All the other sheep are using it, and you feel better with your own herd. :)

laithbsoul
December 11th, 2010, 08:50 AM
100% linux user for some time now i first started using linux in 2005 with fedora core 6 and my first ubuntu distro was 6.06

rvchari
December 11th, 2010, 09:48 AM
i ve had the first taste of linux way back when redhat 5.2 was released. i spent one night getting the OS installed as dual boot with my then win98.
over the years i have evolved with idfferent flavors of linux and i m now a proud fulltime user of ubuntu (though i have win7 on my primary). i boot into windows box just to keep it alive with the antivirus updates !!! so its of use to fellow family members !!!

linux seems to be the most user friendly OS with custumization as we please !!!

in the coming years Tux might show the GATES to you know who !!!

kitcarson61
December 11th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I've been Microshaft free now for nearly a year.
I completely converted my wife about nine months ago when she came to me with a virus problem on her dual-boot netbook. The easiest answer was to simply wipe her netbook clean and start over from scratch with Ubuntu only. Since she'd been using Ubuntu about forty percent of the time, she was "OK" with it at first and now she herself will tell you that she can't imagine going back to Windoze.
I dual booted my son's desktop (OLD Dimension 2400) about a year ago and told him that the only thing he could use the MS OS for was his iTunes. About two weeks ago I noticed that he was using some program in Ubuntu (10.10, I had loaded 9.10) for his iTunes and asked him about it - he told me that he had switched completely from MS XP to Ubuntu a few months ago and had recently done a complete wipe and reload using Ubuntu 10.10 LTS and that there was nothing MS on his computer any more. He did that all on his own! Now, keep in mind that this is a kid that's strictly a program user (if it doesn't work or he can't figure it out immediately, call someone to help). He has no interest at all in computers, what makes them work, what makes them break or how to make them work better for you personally. I was blown away! He said that he had stood behind me and watched, "kinda", one of those rainy mornings that I was loading and playing with new and different linux os variations and decided to try it himself since it didn't look that tough. He waited for a day that he was home from school early, got my notes on sizing partitions, and just went for it. The great part was that it worked for him the first time and I haven't been bothered by him since with any of those "Dad, what do I need to to to get this to work" questions in months.
Eight to five months ago, as a particularly nasty virus (trojan horse, worm, whatever) was going around, friends and family kept coming to me (why me!) to ask if there was anything I could do. I just dual-booted Ubuntu 9.10 with their corrupted XP, Vista and 7 OSs and told them to use that until they either found a way to get rid of the problem or took it to someone who would fix it. Two of the six have since done complete wipes of their systems and loaded Ubuntu variants, two haven't changed a thing and are still using their computers (booting to Ubuntu) exactly as I left them, one took her computer in to a professional who charged her over $200 to "clean" her computer and reload it with MS Windoze 7 (being an older computer, it runs SLOW with 7), and the last took her computer to the same pro who did the same thing after which, she wasn't satisfied and brought it to me to load the 9.10 UNR that she absolutely loves ("It's just somehow sexy.").
Oh, I still have family and friends running MS OSs, but that list is getting shorter all the time and the calls for help are becoming less and less frequent, thankfully.
For what it's worth, only two of the above mentioned people are "gamers", one of which figured out how to get his games working and up to speed all by himself, and one insists on using Quick Books. Other than that, they've all pretty much completely converted whether they know it or not.
As for me, I can't imagine ever going back. Ubuntu just works! And as for my favorite distro, after over a year of installing and trying out over a dozen different versions and variants, I'm really liking Pinguy. Not only does it just work, but once installed, there's almost no tweaking before I'm completely set up the way I want it. Very nice distro.

Nameless_user
December 11th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I used to switch from Linux to Windows (and vice versa) from time to time. But a few months ago I was completely tired of using Windows, and the intel chipsets card drivers were finally ready ( my only complaint about Linux on my computer), so I've been using Linux mint since then, and nothing more.

At this point the only thing I 'could' miss are games and that's all, I haven't had major problems since then; using the computer is not stressing as before ( virus scan, registry fixing, disk defragmentation.... no thanks).

AreEK
December 11th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Completely switched to Linux (debian, gentoo, red hat, mandrake, and ubuntu before settling on Kubuntu) in 2005 - both private and at work.
Love getting into trouble and be able to get out of it again!

henry cow
December 12th, 2010, 02:51 AM
In a vacuum, I would like to make the leap, but I feel like it is a couple of years out for me. The biggest problem is CAD, there just doesn't seem to be a good CAD program, even if you are willing to pay hard cash. I am in the remodeling business and none of them, even in the Windows world, are set up for remodeling, so nothing is easy.

Certain programs do not yet run under Linux, I encounter them from time to time.

Why is Google Earth so backbreakingly hard to install? I have done it twice, last spring, but I can't remember how to do it on a computer at work now.

Even with typical programs for work - I switch back and forth between Word 2010 and Open Office 3 because there are certain things that JUST DON'T WORK in one, or the other.

We are trying to move our work documents to the cloud in Google Docs, which is achingly primitive in many ways, but miraculous in others.

Drivers are another bugaboo, I bought a new laptop last spring and it took dozens of hours to get it to connect wirelessly because nobody had written a proper driver yet (of course not, nobody had BEEN PAID to write a driver).

I really hope to get here, all the way, someday, but it may be a while.

etdsbastar
December 12th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I had downloaded the latest version 10.10 but couldn't install it coz the installer is showing unexpected error during the installation. What I have to do?

FBARRENA
December 12th, 2010, 10:58 PM
I have 8 computers at my home / office.

Dell Inspiron 8600 (the oldest)
Dell Inspiron 6400
Acer One
One Desktop built in house (Intel Dual Core E2300)
Asus K52F (the newest)
All with Ubuntu 10.10 only (no dual boot on any of them)

Two Dell Poweredge Servers with Oracle Entereprise Linux

One Desktop built in house (Intel Dual Core E2100) with Windows Vista Ultimate

The Windows machine is almost all the time turned off. We only use it to try some special software or to synchronize some of my children's toys (e.g.Leap Frog)

My kid's use Ubuntu, my wife uses Ubuntu. Also my brother and my syster use Ubuntu at their home computers. My other brother uses Mac -- I don't like Macs.

I bought this Asus K52F some weeks ago. It came with Windows 7. I wipped it off on the second day and installed Ubuntu 10.10. Headphones don't work, I don't care, I have my Samsung MP3 player to listen music. Everything else works fine.

Ubuntu loads in 10-15 seconds in all machines. Windows would take more than 3 minutes in older machines -- and something similar in new ones.

Two years ago I told my friends Ubuntu will be the leading operating system within three years. Now I think it will take longer, but I truly believe it's the way to go.

I don't know how much is Microsoft paying to computer manufacturers (or how else is it threatening them) to prevent them from offering Ubuntu-based machines. Sure some day they will.

Francisco Barrena
Querétaro, Mexico.

ZekeGraal
December 13th, 2010, 02:57 AM
I bought my Netbook last year: Acer AspireOne D250. It came with windows 7... yea thats all you need to know. I'm a moderator for an online MMORPG with 1000+ people online a day. Which is Intel Atom + Win 7 + CPU munching game client with a high playercount + Running Skype calls = AAAARRRRGGHH!!!](*,)Windows ran okay for about a month, (as it normally does), then it all went downhill. A classmate of mine runs, I believe, Fedora on his pc, and said he recommended a linux OS for me too. I installed Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Edition beside Windows 7. Now I never use Windows. I can run the linux game client, Firefox, Skype, and as many other things as I want. I'm currently making an SD card for my friends laptop who has entirely eaten his last straw he had with windows 7 over frustration. And now I WANT MY FIFTY GIGS WINDOWS HAS BACK! x]

rachniqueen
December 13th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I haven't totally switched. I have a partition with XP and the partition I generally use with Ubuntu 10.4 plus Puppy installed on an older machine.

I haven't switched fully because:

1. I like my games
2. Netflix

gerowen
December 13th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I have a Desktop with Windows on it, that's it though. My laptop runs Linux. I just have Windows on the desktop to play World of Warcraft.

rickyrockrat
December 13th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Completely switched.

I also advocate linux a lot and it's going pretty fine for the moment.

@ndefontenay
Install IE on Linux under wine. I've written a script:

http://dnkdesigns.net/installIE7.sh

copy that, change to executable (NOTE If you don't trust a script, never follow the next two lines):
chmod 755 installIE7.sh
./installIE7.sh

This creates a temporary driectory, usually in ~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/inst_ie7 where it both keeps track of progress and downloads the files for. This was written on 10.04, but should work on 10.10. Please let me know if it breaks on 10.10.
Cheers.

Spice Weasel
December 13th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Screw IE.

Install the Dillo browser and use its bug testing tool. If you get no errors, it will work on IE flawlessly.

(hint: it's the bug/tick icon in the bottom right corner)

truico
December 17th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Since Dapper Drake (2006) I went completely ubuntu. Don't even remember how to make microsoft work. (Does it?)
And you know what? each time some hardware does not completely work out-of-the-box I immensely enjoy the help from the Ubuntu-community and the huge feeling of triumph when I get everything working my way.

cmcanulty
December 17th, 2010, 10:21 PM
100% 2 years ago. Sure I get annoyed occasionally but Windows is always annoying. Also my 1GB ram laptop would hardly work in XP yet alone Windows 7 it still works fine in Maverick

PhantmKllr
December 18th, 2010, 12:10 AM
I'm constantly switching back and forth between Windows and Ubuntu (currently running Ubuntu 10.10). But after 11.04 comes out, I think that I may be hooked for good.

marry335
December 18th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Linux is not depend on any OS in computer .i have found most of the software equivalent to M/S Office and I can totally switch except for some game which i don't really need .but all lexmark printer is not so friendly with Linux printing works and scanner .

beringse
December 18th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Running 100% Ubuntu. I'm amazed at the speed this OS has, and the variety of programs it offers the user.

Only weird thing is when I fire up the Macpro I still hear the Apple chime...ha!

padraic2010
December 19th, 2010, 12:04 AM
First post.

Greetings from Adelaide South Australia, city of churches and bizarre murder capital of my great nation.

First day using Ubuntu on my Dell PC. Been thinking about it, talking to friends and folks on line of-and-on for several years.I've run a live CD a few times but that's not really the same.This way I HAVE to learn. Took me year and a lot of frustration to get used to XP. Finally got fed up with Microsoft

It's certainly different. Seems to me a different mindset is needed.EG with Windows I was quiet paranoid about security. My understanding is that Linux is a much more secure system.

I will however,be grateful for any suggestions for security or 'must have applications' (freeware or commercial)

Right now ,I'm on a steep learning curve and loving it.,I WILL try to find answers to specific questions before asking here.

Garthhh
December 19th, 2010, 12:46 AM
First post.

Greetings from Adelaide South Australia, city of churches and bizarre murder capital of my great nation.

First day using Ubuntu on my Dell PC. Been thinking about it, talking to friends and folks on line of-and-on for several years.I've run a live CD a few times but that's not really the same.This way I HAVE to learn. Took me year and a lot of frustration to get used to XP. Finally got fed up with Microsoft

It's certainly different. Seems to me a different mindset is needed.EG with Windows I was quiet paranoid about security. My understanding is that Linux is a much more secure system.

I will however,be grateful for any suggestions for security or 'must have applications' (freeware or commercial)

Right now ,I'm on a steep learning curve and loving it.,I WILL try to find answers to specific questions before asking here.

My best advice on must have software depends on what you are interested in?

Whatever it is go look in the software manager for possible applications
if you see something you like go to info & then go to the website & check the page info on that website to see when the last time the page had been modified, this will let you know that the project is current.
if you stick with software from the repositories [software manager, synaptic] chances are better it will work, it also helps to stay with apps that are current.

you don't say which distro [version] you are using, which would also help us make recomendations

Enjoy

bruce_childress
December 19th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I just started linux, used the old sunos years ago, but been windows since.
put the 3 hard drives in my computer here, one for win7, one for linux-xp and this one for ubuntu.

like the idea of free and getting away from microsoft, but have a dod cac card and reader, haven't figured that one out yet, and my little lexmark x3470 printer.

will probably just leave windows 7 on this computer and go with ubuntu on the rest, well, thats my thinking, will give it a few more week
bruce

padraic2010
December 19th, 2010, 02:49 AM
My best advice on must have software depends on what you are interested in?

Right now: Finding a driver for my Radeon/ video/sound card. (as soon as I work out how find hardware specs)

Generally; various video conversion tools,Eg to AVI and Mp4.,AVI to DVD.

So far I've only had one annoying popup (from a gambling site). I don't visit porn sites. I mean,I don''t even OWN a pornograph.;) Perhaps a firewall or adblock software? Being conditioned by Windows, it will probably take some time to stop thinking in terms of constant cyber attacks.

Which version? Err.not sure,I Googled,downloaded,wiped my hard drive installed,and it downloaded over 200meg of updates..

Kalimol
December 19th, 2010, 05:43 AM
I came in on 8.04. At that time, I was working on an essay that was due the next morning, and midsentence, Vista decided to reboot for an automatic update, then crashed, rendering itself unbootable. I needed my machine bootable in about an hour, and I had this Ubuntu CD just sitting there, right? Ended up, strangely, pulling the essay off my music player. = ) Windows 7 is a beautiful system, but I don't think I'll ever forgive Microsoft for that night, and it's nice to be in control of things. Never mind that my interface, with all the ***piz Fusion plugins and the GTK skin and dock I use and so on, is substantially prettier and more fun to drive than either 7 or OSX.

I've been purely on Ubuntu for two years, except for a XFCE-based Fedora install on a flash drive used for maintenance and the first test boot of my new Eee before restarting into the Ubuntu installer. I've used Windows VMs for odd jobs here and there, but it's down to about once every six months or so that I need one, enough that I stopped bothering to store a vdi and just build a new one when I need it.

rmcellig
December 19th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Sad to say that I gave it a go but in the end, it's not working out for me. I am using Ubuntu 10.10 in Dual boot mode on my iMac and the one thing I need Ubuntu to do, it can't and that is record from line in. I guess I will have to sdave up for a dedicated PC for Ubuntu :(, but for now, I have to stick with OS 10 on the Mac side.

DarkAmbient
December 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I have, sort of anyway... use ubuntu on this computer 100%. And the other computer (which the miss use mostly), dualboots between ubuntu & winxp. But the only time I/we boot windows is for jailbreaking our iPhones. As the tools for that doesen't work well in wine nor virtualbox. iTunes works well in Virtualbox though.

But overall, 99.99% ubuntu. :-)

peyre
December 19th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Right now: Finding a driver for my Radeon/ video/sound card. (as soon as I work out how find hardware specs)

Generally; various video conversion tools,Eg to AVI and Mp4.,AVI to DVD.

So far I've only had one annoying popup (from a gambling site). I don't visit porn sites. I mean,I don''t even OWN a pornograph.;) Perhaps a firewall or adblock software? Being conditioned by Windows, it will probably take some time to stop thinking in terms of constant cyber attacks.

The graphics card might be a problem. ATI cards aren't too friendly with Linux. One reason I gave my parents my new old laptop and downgraded myself to my even older one was because the ATI card on the new old one didn't play with Ubuntu. NVidia support is far better for Linux--so if you buy a computer in the future with Linux in mind, go NVidia, not ATI.

Some video editing tools you might look into are Kid3, OpenShot, and PiTiVi.

Popups tend to be controlled by the browser rather than the OS. Firefox certainly has a popup blocker, as does Chrome. If you'd like a firewall, download firestarter--it's a front end to the Ubuntu firewall, which is disabled by default, and firestarter lets you enable and configure it.

Ceiber Boy
December 19th, 2010, 10:01 PM
i'm linux at heart but am forced to use win7 for work, but the compromise was to run it in virtual box. i managed ton perswade one other person in the office to set it up that way also.

Unfortunately i can't get Linux to run some CAD software we use, but have managed to replace a window server 2003 with a linux one!

peyre
December 19th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Sad to say that I gave it a go but in the end, it's not working out for me. I am using Ubuntu 10.10 in Dual boot mode on my iMac and the one thing I need Ubuntu to do, it can't and that is record from line in. I guess I will have to sdave up for a dedicated PC for Ubuntu :(, but for now, I have to stick with OS 10 on the Mac side.

It's ok rmcellig, these things happen. Ubuntu is a great OS, but it isn't the best tool for every job. Similarly, I'd love to switch my wife over, but she uses too many Windows-specific apps (Mozy, Photoshop Elements, etc.). That's ok, there's plenty of time to work on the kids... :twisted:

padraic2010
December 19th, 2010, 10:43 PM
The graphics card might be a problem.

Fixed. A mean person might say it was stupidity. I prefer "unfamiliarity":I had another look at sound preferences. There are TWO little 'mute' boxes. One was still ticked. I unticked it. I now have sound.

Have also configured the firewall and screen saver.

Now searching the knowledge base to work out how to install Handbrake which I was obliged to download from the author site.

Considering I've been running Ubuntu for 3 days, I'm thrilled to pieces with it.

Kalimol
December 19th, 2010, 11:01 PM
This problem is solvable, though, isn't it? Is it that it doesn't work at all, because the audio duplex reads weird and there's no mic, or is it a latency problem? If it's the latter, switching to Ubuntu Studio for the low-latency kernel should solve it (and you can do that without making a fresh install, right?)

Edit: I think the post I was responding to was removed. Weird.

Steve Kinney
December 20th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I installed Ubuntu on a 2nd hard drive in my home box in late 2006. About two months later I formatted the NTFS drive because it was a waste of space to maintain the Microsoft OS. Before this I had used Red Hat off and on for years, but never as a primary OS. I have always made a point of using open source applications wherever possible, so dumping Microsoft was not a major hassle. I almost went with Debian instead of Ubuntu, it was a coin toss, but I am quite happy with the way Ubuntu has worked out so far.

The "MS Windows Only" apps I need run OK under Wine, thank ghod; tip for web developers, use the winetricks script to install IE6 for testing. I really look forward to the day, in the dim distant future, when it will no longer be necessary to support that nasty thing.

Shintek
December 20th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I make music with FL Studio, since its kinda buggy I still bootup Windows 7 for that,
Oh and Photoshop CS4/Flash CS3/Illustrator CS3 and, well thats it basically

I mostly use Ubuntu 10.10, back in the day I used to run on Knoppix 3.6, my laptop still runs on that, I love it!

peyre
December 20th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Fixed. A mean person might say it was stupidity. I prefer "unfamiliarity":I had another look at sound preferences. There are TWO little 'mute' boxes. One was still ticked. I unticked it. I now have sound.

I've done something like that. Nothing to fret about. ;)

Tadcrazio
December 20th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Cancelled netflix, I'm full Linux!

jerenept
December 20th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Cancelled netflix, I'm full Linux!

You cancelled Netflix in order to have only Linux?
We won't think any less of you here if you use Windows, you know. ;)

gringo guy
December 20th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Nice long thread, have to keep this one going. . .

Anticipation is spelled L-i-n-u-x: After waiting nearly 12 years for Linux to get to the point where it wasn't so hard on the eyes and difficult to configure, I finally switched to Ubuntu last week. From the beginning it was clear that someday this would be awesome but, for me, the show stoppers have always been:
. fonts & the look/feel
. drivers & codecs
. documentation
. integration
But now this is fantastic. "Thank you!" to the people who have made Ubuntu what it is. It's beautiful using a dark theme, the fonts are exceptional, the docco is amazing, and it mostly just works. Both sound and a tablet pen & mouse worked immediately. Had a little snag with a printer but, thanks to excellent threads on this forum, got a Canon MP490 printer/ scanner working--it even scans right into Gimp, and that wasn't working with Photoshop on WinXP.

Many forums for other software seem to get filled with incorrect and incomplete answers, but here there seems to be a steady supply of high-quality information. What a fun few days this has been.
Better late than never,

p.d. Still using Wine for PasswordSafe (wouldn't have switched without this!), and have WinXP Pro running in a VirtualBox (for one recalcitrant little app). Other than that, it's time to say "Hasta la vista, Vista!"

p.p.d. Not running an anti-virus app feels very odd. Kinda like walking around outside naked: somewhat uncomfortable, but also rather exhilarating.

oarion7
December 20th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I got a machine with Vista on it a few years ago. Vista, which came with it, ran pretty slow. The processor was always working hard and the fans were always spinning to support it. To make things even worse, nearly every little trick and GUI hack I had mastered in XP no longer worked in Vista. This was my Ubuntu calling.

Ubuntu ran like a charm, especially by the time Hardy came around. I continued to dual boot for a couple years. After a while, though, I just stopped using Vista, although it was still installed. When I switched to a low capacity solid state drive as my primary drive (with an external storage), I cloned the Ubuntu partition and left Vista in the external. I've been running Linux without any windows installation at all for several months now, and have not looked back.

Doesn't mean I don't run XP in a VM once in a while.:popcorn:

zankao
December 21st, 2010, 01:53 PM
I've used Ubuntu in the past, and didn't like it much because I was in school and needed something simple and easily compatible (as every computer in the school was running XP). For a while XP was my OS of choice, because I knew the inside and out of it, but it lacked functionality. I decided to give Ubuntu another try later on.

I haven't touched my XP machine for months now, and because I have more time I can take care of the finicky things that make Linux a little harder to use. Now I've got my whole system running exactly the way I want, and I've copied the whole system over to 3 different computers, and converted 2 people from Windows. Love it.

However, I'm still looking for that "wow" factor. Ubuntu does everything that other OS's do, and more, and better, but it hasn't really shaken me to my core. I swapped over for simplicity, not for innovation: I've already been converted, but is there something I'm missing?

alaukikyo
December 21st, 2010, 02:48 PM
p.d. Still using Wine for PasswordSafe (wouldn't have switched without this!), and have WinXP Pro running in a VirtualBox (for one recalcitrant little app). Other than that, it's time to say "Hasta la vista, Vista!"

tried KeePassX ?

gmanigault
December 21st, 2010, 03:31 PM
I have a total of 7 Ubuntu servers, 1 Xenserver, 1 laptop Ubuntu 10.10, and unfortunately on Acer netbook running WinXP Pro. I only run it because I have and Iphone and Apple seems to refuse to allow there behind the scenes Unix OS to directly be interfaced with Linux. I waiting and hoping and praying for a repreve soon.

Shark...