PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

oleink
July 20th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Well, I've been thoroughly impressed with Ubuntu the last few days. It isn't just an alternative but a better replacement to Windows 7, so I've bitten the bullet (after making many backups!) and deleted my Windows 7 partition. I'm going to try to stick this out through any 'bad' times that I'm sure will crop up. Nothing's perfect :)

yep but honestly after you hit the first snag everything else seems really really easy afterword

corrytonapple
July 20th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I am. But now i have two windows hard drives laying around.

rjbl
July 20th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Not completely - I have to retain one XP SP3 box for MS Flight Simulator + associated tools which I've been hooked on for about 25 years. Everything else is linux - specifically Ubuntu 10.04LTS.

I've used linux since RH5 as a platform for my work in examining Windows networks, large and small, for vulnerabilities and have been dimly aware of the enormous strides that have been made in tuxworld in the last 5 years in making Linux into a credible desktop for real people. When the need came to re-configure my computer use for my retired years I was looking for an affordable hardware which was economically maintainable for about ten years, an OS which was robust and required little daily maintainence and an apps. set which supports all my functional computing needs.

I ruled out building a new Windows box - over the forecast life the TCO would be far, far to high. I really will not contemplate rebuilding the box every 18 months as it is destabilised by use. I ain't going to commit to forever chasing Microsoft uphill through successive 'improved' versions of their OS, through ever larger hardware spends. Can't afford it and a week rebuilding a failing Windows box is time I ain't going to get back.

So it came down to Fedora - which I knew, or Ubuntu which I had never noticed before. Fedora 13 seemed too geeky - it reminded me of the bad old days when I had to graft 24/7 for my daily bread. Ubuntu looked like all my generation had dreamed of when we helped computers out of their temples and into people's lives and workplaces.

First impressions have been validated by my first two months of using Ubuntu. Rock solid linux, as expected. If anything unexpected happens I shall know where to look and how to sort it out. The desktop system architecture is very well thought out and implemented. It is exceptionally easy to update and to install new functionality. It this point in my life it does the business.

ATB
rjbl

ranch hand
July 20th, 2010, 10:58 PM
I am. But now i have two windows hard drives laying around.
I did that with one drive for a while and decided that it was a waste of a good drive, formatted the bugger and used it for trying more Linux distros. You only need about 40 gig per OS to really try them out pretty well. You can put a bunch of them on most drives any more and you have two of the buggers.

ceref
July 20th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

I am in my second week of Ubuntu 10.4 FREEDOM at last from the Microsoft crap. Every machine I have had eventually got updated and packed out crippling them. I am now enjoying using a 6 year old laptop ( don't like wasting money) and having a ball.

Fast and efficient and just about plug n play all the way. I am Sitting in our caravan in field in rustic Portugal with Portuguese Kangaroo mobile internet. Unlike windows it fires up automatically on boot 100% every time. What a performance on my new (almost) Vista machine.

It is fun .. actually enjoying trying the different stuff in the repository and going into forums and getting to actually know what I am doing. With firefox I can get into all the secure bank type accounts no problem.

At 63 I am even going to try some developing as I started on pooters using binary .. what a galaxy bustin ride its been. I am retired kind of so I have the time to explore ... ADVICE >>>> YOU GOT WINDOWS ... DUMP THE RUBBISH AND GO Unbutu you will be delighted.

tdmeskimo
July 22nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
i was searching for a linux distro for a long time maybe 5 years. Me finding Ubuntu was great, install drivers for video and sometimes printers is what held me up, and Ubuntu a great linux for noobs like me. I have been using Ubuntu Linux for four years and 100% switch took about a year and that is all i use now Ubuntu, thanks Ubuntu!

oelph
July 22nd, 2010, 08:55 PM
I've got to reply again. I've tried Linux many many times. There are stacks of recordable CDs behind me for all manner of distros :)

This is the first time I've felt truly comfortable with Linux and its bloody fantastic! It really is better than Windows. In subtle and not so subtle ways. Excellent stuff.

GaryRixon
July 22nd, 2010, 11:34 PM
I made the switch from windows to Ubuntu yesterday, and so far I am loving it. Ubuntu is so much sleeker, faster and more aesthetically pleasing than windows. I was running windows vista home basic which was so slow on my computer, I am very pleased with the boot times and just general speed of Ubuntu so far, and I hope it stays that way !

mrpenguin
July 23rd, 2010, 01:02 AM
I only run Ubuntu on my laptop and netbook but i have two hard drives with windows stored away for when i need it, like when I need to back up or update my iphone that linux still cant do :(

Kilana
July 23rd, 2010, 01:13 AM

I have. I've used dreadful Windows XP for a while... but some years back I got sick of the problems it was having. So I made the switch. :D

tijs14tijs
July 24th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I started 2 months ago using linux ubuntu 10.04, okay i have sometimes trouble with it i admit. But windows has much more bugs and virusses not to mention. Linux looks better than xp, vista, windows seven and even leopard if you tweak it a bit :D

I love it, they have to solve some problems, but it looks awesome and works superfast.

When I stated using Linux instead of Vista i wondered that my laptop could be that fast.
I always tought linux was only a programmer OS. My disk is 100% linux

I will never stop using gnome, but if it is going to fail like KDE4 then i would be :(

Covertoddity
July 25th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I use Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 as my main OS, windows made me want to shoot myself. Most games can be played in WINE or Cedega and the ones that can't, can be played in a VM easily.
I can understand your position, took me toooo long to switch, but I'm glad I did.
Just remember, problems in Linux make you smarter, problems in windows make you commit suicide.

nmyrick
July 25th, 2010, 10:10 PM
For those of you who are trying to run Windows Office progrmas on Linux, you may want to try CrossOver Linux. There is a free trial that you can download at http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/download_trial/ .

There is a small cost involved, if you want to continue to use it after 30 days. I believe it is $30 (I think that's what I paid a while back). I personally have used it for CloneDVD and Microsoft Office 2007, and it works well for both.

Also, although I haven't tried it because I am not a big gamer, if CrossOver Games http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/ works as well as CrossOver Linux, then it should be a really good program for running games.

occams_beard
July 26th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I started with RedHat 6.0 back in 1999 or 2000, but I always dual booted with Windows, and mostly used Windows. The last couple years though I've been running Linux exclusively and really haven't looked back.

The one exception is that I have a VirtualBox Windows install, because I have to use IE from time to time... bleh.

I did help someone with their Windows computer the other day and it felt weird, like an alien world... WTF is it with it taking so long to install software on Windows nowadays? It took 15 minutes (no joke) to install an HP printer driver! sheesh!

StonedRaider
July 26th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I mainly use ubuntu. But lately I have been forced to using windows for dreamweaver. Going back to windows reminds me why I changed in the first place. Horrible

VastOne
July 26th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I did that with one drive for a while and decided that it was a waste of a good drive, formatted the bugger and used it for trying more Linux distros. You only need about 40 gig per OS to really try them out pretty well. You can put a bunch of them on most drives any more and you have two of the buggers.

I have been for 2 + years which was when I literally booted everything Msoft out of the house with the exception my sons xBox.

Like you Ranch Hand I have been through the list of other distros and to be honest, I am quite disappointed. I kept hearing about Fedora 13 giving Ubuntu a run for it's money so for the last week I did everything I could to get used to Fedora.

That is where the disappointment starts and ends. I am in no way disrespecting the fine folks who create and support Fedora (or any other distro). But just like my tests with Open Suse and Open Solaris, I was amazed at how much they are like Ubuntu but not as refined and with a different tool set, it made it more frustrating than anything. I feel I have given each a fair shake but in the end, nothing compares to Ubuntu and I am sure I will hear an earful regarding that statement.

I have several friends who do not "get" why Ubuntu is so popular compared to the other distros that they use..All I can tell them is Ubuntu and it's community just gets it!

I enjoy more testing the Alpha's and Beta's as they come down the Ubuntu channel and in doing so helping the next wave of users.

And that's what I think I will stick to.

Green_Bean
July 26th, 2010, 07:09 AM
My first experience with linux was 2 years ago when I bought an xo from OLPC. I just loved it, and learned so much. About a year ago I got rid of windows xp and started using Ubuntu on my desktop. I have been able to get Ubuntu to do everything I need though it hasn't always been easy. My very old Dell is much faster at browsing the internet now than it was with windows. One problem is that it seems I am constantly keeping it updated. I don't really mind, but when I had windows I just used it. I think if I buy a new computer I might have to leave windows on it for a while.

trisemigistus
July 26th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I just recently switched over to Linux Ubuntu. By accident, my Windows OS was deleted. So I am stuck with Linux, which I honestly do not mind :D

Clever_Username
July 26th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Total Ubuntu user here. And my wife and kids love it too! I couldn't go back to windows if I tried:p

ekyle
July 26th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Full Ubuntu user. When I do web development and design I need to run and use my sister's PC to check IE compatibility. I should just install a VM...

ToxicDoom420
July 26th, 2010, 01:50 PM
The first time i played around with ubuntu was 8.04 - i did not like it that much...had so many problems, and things were confusing (To say the least) to me at the time. However....2 releases later, and a LOT of installing 10.04 on other computers here around the house...made me switch.

So, yea - i'm a n00b - and, just learning as i go. Thankfully, i have the brain of a...i can't think of a good word right now, as it's almost 7am...but, i have a brain that stores stuff in there, and the more i do things, the better i become.

Needless to say, i used to be a windows guy. A mac guy at heart though, since ironically, i played around with Mac OS 8, 9 and X - the first version of X.

I was running windows Vista on the machine i have now....and, prior to that, i was beta testing Windows 7. So, yea....my system is great....but, i felt limited to what i could do - and, i also believe in the "Free" or "Open Source" model. And, it's great that - not only Ubuntu - but, the partners behind the software - are in that model too.

Most of what i used on windows, ubuntu can do. The only crappy thing is i lost Mixmeister Propaganda (Though, i am working with WINE to hopefully get that installed and back...cause, i really don't wanna use audacity.)

Chances are, i'll be in the forums a lot now - and, some of the questions i ask will prob'ly be stupid to most - or, at least some LOL but, bare with me!

I hope to have everything down pat soon - and, be able to help other users. For now though, i'm taking it all in - and, learning an awesome operating system while i'm at it!

stuartcnz
July 27th, 2010, 12:06 AM
The only crappy thing is i lost Mixmeister Propaganda (Though, i am working with WINE to hopefully get that installed and back...cause, i really don't wanna use audacity.)

Have a look at Ardour. It can take a while to figure out jack, which is needed to make it run, but is a very good and easy to use program once you get it working.

Rondonjin
July 27th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Haven't used Windows since 1994 on my own machines. Currently with Mint 8
Gnome on my main machine and Mint 9 KDE RC on my "test" machine. Thinking
about making the switch to KDE after using Gnome since Fedora Core 5.

Was an OS/2 use from 1994 until IBM pulled the plug on support.

coolman98
July 27th, 2010, 12:27 AM
totally ubuntu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ultimatum_23
July 29th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Linux all the way! Theres no way I'd go back to Microsoft after so many crashes and viruses.

Zorgoth
July 29th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I play games, but I switched fully to Linux when I found that steam and all my windows games are supported pretty well by wine now (and winetrickes) that I have my new ATI graphics card with OpenGL 4.0 rather than an Intel with OpenGL 1.4.

nmyrick
July 29th, 2010, 04:18 AM
As a PC technician, I eliminate viruses almost every day. That's why I like coming home to Ubuntu!

Fifthmarch
July 29th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I've switched almost completely - M$ Office to Open Office, Photoshop to GIMP, Maya to Blender... The list goes on. I also recommend it incessantly, maybe it's because the newest convert is always the most vehement preacher.

I run Windows XP in Virtual box for some of the websites which open only on Internet Explorer and to run Shockwave. I also use it to run Crossword Compiler - I can't find a good Linux substitute anywhere.

slooksterpsv
July 29th, 2010, 07:43 AM
As a PC technician, I eliminate viruses almost every day. That's why I like coming home to Ubuntu!

Amen brother, amen lol.

I've had to try 4 or 5 different antiviruses on the same persons computer just so they wouldn't get infected. Some how they're still going to get viruses on their computer. I've had a virus try to attack me in Ubuntu, I laughed and just watched it, didn't hurt me at all.

I love Linux/Ubuntu/Xubuntu

TNT1
July 29th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Went to Ubuntu with KDE in 2007. Went through a Fedora stage at the beginning of this year, but it was more frustration than I needed, so back to Ubuntu now, but with Gnome. Wife on Lucid as well, kids on Lucid Edubuntu, parents on Karmic. Still have a VM with XP, I occasionally get spreadsheets with macros that I need to run.

bouncingwilf
July 29th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Switched over the last computer last week - that one was running win2k on the boat to enable Transas Navigator to run (Dongle protected) I've converted to OpenCPN now all my computers run Ubuntu exclusively (and the Wife's)

pacice
July 29th, 2010, 09:05 AM
My laptop and home computers run Ubuntu.
Home has windows for games etc for the kids, but everything else is on Linux.

My Laptop is used at work, and I use Ubuntu, open office, thunderbird, firefox etc.
I also have virtualbox with XP on to run our accounting software, and the couple of other bits where there is no Linux replacement.

I do find I need to save into microsoft formats when sending files to others outside work.

TNT1
July 29th, 2010, 09:14 AM
t.

I do find I need to save into microsoft formats when sending files to others outside work.

Yeah, I heard office 2010 natively reads.ods now, so that may be changing...

Fatman_UK
July 29th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Imagine my surprise when I found our Office 2007 (at work) also has support for OpenDocument. Hurrah! No more indecipherable binary document formats!

I've switched almost completely to Ubuntu. The only Windows machines I keep are a development box at work (horrible thing) and a gaming Shuttle at home. WINE is nearly there for games but not quite IMO. Steam is growing on me, I just bought the Orange box. Now we just need to get all games on Steam. :P

The office suffers from Bug #1 (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1). I also have our corporate web server (quite heavily used) on a crusty old laptop running FreeBSD. I might change that, I was only proving a point and it's been there for 3 years now. :lolflag:

nmyrick
July 30th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Stop road rage! End *******!

I seriously think that a large percentage of the frustration people experience at work is due to their Windows operating systems!

nmyrick
July 30th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Imagine my surprise when I found our Office 2007 (at work) also has support for OpenDocument. Hurrah! No more indecipherable binary document formats!

I've switched almost completely to Ubuntu. The only Windows machines I keep are a development box at work (horrible thing) and a gaming Shuttle at home. WINE is nearly there for games but not quite IMO. Steam is growing on me, I just bought the Orange box. Now we just need to get all games on Steam. :P

The office suffers from Bug #1 (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1). I also have our corporate web server (quite heavily used) on a crusty old laptop running FreeBSD. I might change that, I was only proving a point and it's been there for 3 years now. :lolflag:
For any game that you have, or any software that you need that just won't run in Linux, I highly recommend installing a copy of Windows on a virtual machine using VirtualBox. You can find it for free at http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads .

I would not recommend the Virtual Box OSE that you can find in the package manager. It does not support USB and is just not as complete.

If you install Virtual Box, I also highly recommend installing 'Guest Additions' through the 'Devices' menu in the VM. This will fix many mouse, resolution, or other issues that you may experience.

oleink
July 30th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Amen brother, amen lol.

I've had to try 4 or 5 different antiviruses on the same persons computer just so they wouldn't get infected. Some how they're still going to get viruses on their computer. I've had a virus try to attack me in Ubuntu, I laughed and just watched it, didn't hurt me at all.

I love Linux/Ubuntu/Xubuntu

YES SIR! Ubuntu FTW. No more viruses no more dowsing (i spelled that wrong on purpose.) Linux (especially ubuntu) is just more fun and useful to me in every day life ive ditched the dows.

oleink
July 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Home has windows for games etc for the kids, but everything else is on Linux.

My Laptop is used at work, and I use Ubuntu, open office, thunderbird, firefox etc.
I also have virtualbox with XP on to run our accounting software, and the couple of other bits where there is no Linux replacement.

are you using like business software like quickbooks?

nmyrick
July 30th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Office 2007 natively reads .odt documents as well.

andymorton
July 30th, 2010, 10:22 PM

I completely switched to Ubuntu today. I've had it on my laptop for a couple of years and I finally got around to installing UNE 10.04 on my netbook this afternoon. Outside of my university library I doubt I'll ever use Windows again. :D

nmyrick
July 30th, 2010, 10:29 PM
To Quake,

For Windows games on Linux, you may want to try PlayOnLinux for free in your package manager, or you could also try CrossOver Games at http://www.codeweavers.com/ .

_h_
July 30th, 2010, 10:30 PM
To Quake,

For Windows games on Linux, you may want to try Play On Linux for free in your package manager, or you could also try CrossOver Games at http://www.codeweavers.com/ .

Don't forget Wine;

http://www.winehq.org/

or Cedega;

http://www.transgaming.com/

jerenept
July 30th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Play on linux is based on WINE.

p.s.
July 30th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Completely switched in 2006 and haven't looked back.

It requires a little bit of extra brainpower occasionally, but I never feel like my computer is actively obstructing my use of it, and I never have to tell it that "No, I do not want to buy any X (ink cartridges, upgrades, etc.)!"

nmyrick
July 30th, 2010, 10:34 PM
PlayOnLinux and CrossOver Games are both built on the Wine platform, but are enhanced for gaming.

_h_
July 30th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Play on linux is based on WINE.

Doesn't POL only help you with installing the games, it doesn't exactly translate anything does it (like WINE does with translating)? Last time I tried POL months ago, I couldn't install downloaded version of WoW with it, it was forcing me to use a CD/DVD.

coolman98
July 30th, 2010, 10:39 PM
totally ubuntu

tersogar
July 30th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I switch to Ubuntu in the later half of 2009 and never look back. I use metatrader 4 for work and occasionally World of Warcraft for fun under wine with great results.:KS

nmyrick
July 30th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Depends on the kind of file you downloaded. If it was an executable file, it should work. If it was an image file, you will need to burn it to disk first. If it was a package file, then you need to extract the files and find the executable.

nmyrick
July 30th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Completely switched in 2006 and haven't looked back.

It requires a little bit of extra brainpower occasionally, but I never feel like my computer is actively obstructing my use of it, and I never have to tell it that "No, I do not want to buy any X (ink cartridges, upgrades, etc.)!"
One thing I liked about Ubuntu, up until the 10.04 version, is that it would never ask me if I was a moron and accidentally tried to shut off my computer.

However, that has changed in 10.04. Does anyone know how to disable this idiot proof screen in 10.04?

Aaron7
July 30th, 2010, 11:10 PM
I completely switched all 4 of my family's computer to Ubuntu and all the feedback I got was just how good Ubuntu is and why didn't we switch ages ago. :p I still have to option to boot into Windows - but that's just for FSX and games I can't seem to get running on Linux :(

Trinexx
July 31st, 2010, 12:47 AM
I switched after getting Win7 running on my system. Customized the way I like, everything I need working, completely stable... I just didn't have anything to do anymore.

So I installed Ubuntu. With stuff breaking every other release, sound issues, not being able to alt+tab out of fullscreen programs (TRUE fullscreen, not windowed fullscreen), bug regression in every single release, and a general clunky feeling to it, I've always got something to fix/tweak/install/remove.

oleink
August 1st, 2010, 04:46 AM
I switched after getting Win7 running on my system. Customized the way I like, everything I need working, completely stable... I just didn't have anything to do anymore.

So I installed Ubuntu. With stuff breaking every other release, sound issues, not being able to alt+tab out of fullscreen programs (TRUE fullscreen, not windowed fullscreen), bug regression in every single release, and a general clunky feeling to it, I've always got something to fix/tweak/install/remove.

It sounds like you actually like that? I'm working with the developmental release right now and I still love it. Hoping to help make there be less bugs next release

frurry420
August 1st, 2010, 01:12 PM
Yesterday night i switched to only Linux on my desktop, but i cant get it to work properly with flash and some other stuff on my 1201ha netbook :(

NightwishFan
August 1st, 2010, 01:28 PM
Yesterday night i switched to only Linux on my desktop, but i cant get it to work properly with flash and some other stuff on my 1201ha netbook :(

Post a thread in the help or beginner talk sections of the forums and I am quite sure you will receive assistance from the kind forums members here! :)

jimgowdy
August 1st, 2010, 10:58 PM
I have been using Ubuntu for the past two years on my home system from version 5.04 to 10.04. Some small issues but I am now getting others to switch...including my 78 year old parents...

I believe there will be less problems with viruses and spy-ware for them

aeronutt
August 1st, 2010, 11:03 PM
Completely. Except. When I download files from GARMIN to update my GPS, I have to use windows (I think). That's the only reason I can think of that I've booted windows in the past year. And wow, when I boot into windows my first response is, dang it's slow, dang I get a ton of pop ups to update all the virus/software/firewalls/etc, and dang I like the fonts. :)

mamamia88
August 1st, 2010, 11:14 PM
went back to windows 7 on my main laptop because of a weird graphics glitch than kept crashing my computer randomly. the screen would just go all white with black lines through it forcing me to reboot. after uninstalling nvidia drivers and trying for a few hours to install the drivers from nvidias site i gave up. will try again with a new install when my second harddrive caddy for my laptop comes in with a spare drive

MES5464
August 2nd, 2010, 02:49 PM

I have complete switched. I just play the games I can find for Linux. Would I like to play the new StarCraft II? Sure. But not enough to go back to Windows.

oleink
August 2nd, 2010, 09:58 PM
I have complete switched. I just play the games I can find for Linux. Would I like to play the new StarCraft II? Sure. But not enough to go back to Windows.

Honestly after doing some extensive research I found out Cedega and Wine (Cedega being based on wine coding) consistently outperform windows for gaming. Strange but true. And a lot of games are playable in those 2

Caffeind
August 6th, 2010, 03:50 AM

I play WoW without a problem (in fact I'm getting better performance running it with WINE under Ubuntu than I did with Windows) so I'd say you could get StarcraftII running as well.

Or, by running winblows apps under WINE am I cheating?

Cheers.

Timmer1240
August 6th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Pretty much all Ubuntu all the time now unless I need to print something then I boot xp or win7 next printer will be linux compatable!After Printing I immediately boot back into Ubuntu cause I missed it already!

neiljansons
August 6th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Pretty much all Ubuntu all the time now unless I need to print something then I boot xp or win7 next printer will be linux compatable!After Printing I immediately boot back into Ubuntu cause I missed it already!

Unfortunately the printer drivers for ubuntu (cups) are exceptionally ordinary.
I regularly need to print to a Toshiba copier (e-Studio232) but need to use XP (in virtualbox) to print:
1. Some of the print features are simply missing in the ubuntu driver
2. The ubuntu driver is unfriendly and awkward to use
3. Graphics that print fine with XP are poor resolution with the ubuntu driver.
The above is also true for a low end Brother laser I have (obviously it is less featured anyway so the difference does not appear so stark)
While this is not necessarily the fault of ubuntu, as vendors need to supply print capabilities for their printers, since two different brands appear to be similarly bad, it makes me wonder if ubuntu could do more to help the vendors.

For me, printing is almost the only reason I need to use XP

walter_jnr
August 6th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I've been running Kubuntu 10.04 for about a week now after trying various distros many times in the past. I always seem to break it in a few days of use, mostly stupid things, and go back to Windows. This time I'm trying to be more patient with it and the more I use it the more I like it. It's pretty tough at first finding all the compatible software but once you do it's all pretty smooth. I think I have my backup routine set although I haven't tested it yet. I just have a few minor issues really but I'm sure I'll work through them one at a time. So far there's nothing I need Windows for. I have a VM with Win7 in it but I actually haven't booted into it yet other than to set it up the first time.

Denis Krajnc
August 6th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I completely use Linux Ubuntu. I have everything I need and more... ;)

utilitytrack
August 6th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Hmm, I also completely erase Windows two years ago... Might say that then I was little scared :) Now I think that apparently will be use Linux to the end of my live.

dave-knuckle
August 6th, 2010, 05:42 PM
started with redhat in 96---hated it and went back to widows then I took another look when Linspire was making news but still held out on making the switch (tho I was impressed with the reviews) then G-os came on the scene with that $149 walmart special so I got it for the kids-- in the end they got the windows box and I am running this one.Once I figured out that G-os was Ubuntu I have installed Ubuntu on six other computers--the kids now run Lucid and I have picked up several old machines (some from the dump) and run ubuntu variants on them(including Lucid Puppy on a real slow clunker) so while I still have windows on a hard drive some where (couldn't tell ya where exactly) but I am convinced that Ubuntu is the way to go----now if I can learn to use command line a bit better I will be satisfied.

Someone uk
August 7th, 2010, 03:34 AM
i have, never duel booted just got rid of vista and installed ubuntu

have to say after 16 years M$ experience it's quite lukewarm of an experience because i have had to unlearn alot and get used to they way things are done
i suppose in 16 years time I'll thank myself for switching

nathanielian
August 7th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Hi,
I have never used printer options in Ubuntu OS .So,I want to make install a printer with digital capabilities like handling titles,Audio track overlays etc.,Please suggest me more details about this printing media.

adgaps
August 7th, 2010, 12:41 PM
i dual-boot on my laptop... Windows 7/Ubuntu 10.04..

i dunno, but i feel as comfortable in Windows 7 as i do in Ubuntu... guess i just got tired of half a decade of using XP...

but i'm definitely looking forward to a full switch when i graduate... since i won't need to do homework on windows environment anymore...

but hey, i can do programming in linux right?

BenB1
August 9th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Left Windows after about 20 odd years, about one year ago. I started out on Debian Lenny and then was swayed to Ubuntu by a friend. In that past year I only used Windows once and it was required for 'work'. Don't intend to return to Windows personally.
Launching...

KinGnu
August 9th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I completely switched to linux, I keep Windows XP with VirtualBox :P

0N3
August 9th, 2010, 03:21 AM
I'm 100% Ubuntu only.Completely gone from Windows fed up of not responding programmes slow boot times and windows vista taking 3 days to shutdown after i've had a non responding programme i love the freedom and customisation of Ubuntu and how i can run an application straight after i have logged in not waiting for windows to finish logging in before it will react to what i want it to do alround 100% satisfied with it and was a pleasure just learning it. Now I hope i can share my experiences with people too.

giddyup306
August 9th, 2010, 03:26 AM
I'm mostly converted. I do have XP on my machine, but I haven't used it in months. The only reasons why I have it on my computer is 1) because I paid for it - why not 2) if some new gadget comes out that only supports Windows. I would have not even bothered, but I have a quad boot, and I had to install it first... XP is too slow in Virtual Box.

slooksterpsv
August 9th, 2010, 09:06 AM

That's a joke right? I'd cry if that's not a joke.

Linux and Programming go hand-in-hand.

kennedyvelez
August 9th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Use linux without hesitation. Its for the best of mankind. If you want to be corrupted, use windows. If you're elite, use apple. If you're free and independent, use linux...:D

meklu
August 9th, 2010, 12:40 PM
100% Linux. No virus named "Windows" on my HDDs because it chews up so much space.

Quake
August 9th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Linux is an open source operating system, meaning you can check out the codes and help if you can. Or learn.

gpdas
August 10th, 2010, 04:38 AM
I have completely switched to Ubuntu 10.04. One problem I am facing is the vloopup function in OpenOffice calc. Still I am using it.

mf_one
August 10th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Unfortunately I can't answer in the affirmative on this. I still need windows because of the printer that I use but other than that Linux, Ubuntu to be more specific takes care of all of my needs.

kahlil88
August 10th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I've been running it exclusively since 2006, except to test Microsoft's beta junk, which I immediately wiped out when it expired.

volaer
August 10th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Unfortunately I can't answer in the affirmative on this. I still need windows because of the printer that I use but other than that Linux, Ubuntu to be more specific takes care of all of my needs.

There are already hundreds of printers that are now supported by Ubuntu. My printer is HP D1660, its a deskjet printer probably came out just a year ago. And it is now supported by Ubuntu.

zargeus
August 10th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Deleted

brokenromeo
August 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I use Ubuntu 99% of the time, but every time I buy a new computer it comes with Windows, so I keep it, resize the Windows partition giving it enough space so that it is usable if I need it...then setup a dual boot environment. I figure I paid for it, and it does come in handy for the occasional bios update or windows only application I or a family member need to run...Itunes, IE only website, etc...

Richbuntu
August 10th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I dual boot Ubuntu and XP.

The problem with using Linux only is that in a world where almost everybody uses Windows it's very hard to manage with Linux only.
It's like speaking Chinese in a place where everybody speaks English, you may like Chinese more than English but to communicate with other people you need also English... :?

Caffeind
August 13th, 2010, 05:20 AM

The problem with using Linux only is that in a world where almost everybody uses Windows it's very hard to manage with Linux only.
It's like speaking Chinese in a place where everybody speaks English, you may like Chinese more than English but to communicate with other people you need also English... :?

After a glass of WINE you can communicate with just about anyone :)

kridybel
August 13th, 2010, 07:24 AM
We have two desktops. One in the game-room and one on my desk. The one in the game-room is 100% Ubuntu; since it is accessable for the kids that come over to play with my son.

The one on my desk is dual boot with xp. On this one ubuntu is used most of the time. XP is only booted to manage apps and playlists on our ipods and to sync my runs for nike+.

Since I use nike4all to sync nike+ in ubuntu I think the XP usage has dropped to below 2%. And every time it gets on my nerves for the obvious reasons: slow start up, virus update, windows update, virus scan, etc, etc ...

beercz
August 13th, 2010, 09:40 AM

I don't have this problem! I run linux exclusively despite being surrounded by windows users and don't have any problems sharing data with them.

TNT1
August 13th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I don't have this problem! I run linux exclusively despite being surrounded by windows users and don't have any problems sharing data with them.

Yip. Me too. I work in a fully corporate environment that is completely windows based, and I have zero issues.

David52
August 14th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I used red-hat for a few years, then went back to XP. I considered red hat again but the price for it became unreal. 2 weeks I found out about Ubuntu loaded it, figured it out and love it. Will be a linux ubuntu user for a long time now.:P

Cam!
August 14th, 2010, 06:18 AM
The only thing preventing me from fully becoming a Linux user is the fact that...

A. iTunes is unstable, even with Wine. I need something that can sync music to my iPhone, as well as Apps and Software updates, which can't be done with alternatives.

B. Steam. Self explanatory. Hopefully the Linux client will be released sometime soon this year.

C. FL Studio. It's unstable, even with Wine, and I can't get my MIDI device(s) to work with it.

wkhasintha
August 14th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Lucid is the default entry in my grub. It had been Win7 till of late. but I felt i spend more time on lucid than before . hehe.

but still not a complete linux user or a fanboy of any OS. I intend to get most out of both.

ghettobird
August 14th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I considered buying an overpriced PC from a bloated retailer, but settled on buying everyone else's PC parts cause they wanted the latest and greatest. Put everything into a frankenputer and created a Ultimate 2.7/ Ubuntu studio creation. I'm a little unsure about the low latency kernel though. Oh ya, forget about Canon support for the MP620 printer, it'll never come to fruition.

Richbuntu
August 15th, 2010, 07:58 AM
After a glass of WINE you can communicate with just about anyone :)

Maybe a glass of WINE is a good solution but I use some programs like Visual Studio that won't work as good on Linux.

Fludizz
August 15th, 2010, 08:26 AM
And for things you can't do with wine, we still have the virtualbox option ;)

My laptop still has a windows 7 partition sitting on it but I haven't booted it in months now. My "game PC" is running windows 7 but seen how well the games I play run in wine at my laptop I'm considering formatting that system and making it a pure-linux system as well :)

And again, keep a virtualbox at hand in case you find some stupid piece of software that won't run using wine.

EN1ac3R
August 15th, 2010, 08:56 AM
At the moment im running Ubuntu 64bit 2.7 ultimate edition inside VMware 7.0.

I also have backtrack 4 final at its side too.

I have VMware installed on my windows 7 64bit ultimate,no problems,all good at the minute.

I am keeping it like this because i have a nvidia gtx480 set up and graphicly only windows with nvidia can suppply me with the best graphics.

The only downside is that i cannot use pyritt (linux) to use my cards for gpu accelaration,but my friends at elcomsoft have given me some software that uses both cards for the job in windows :)

http://www.elcomsoft.com/lhc.html- for windows.

(and also using backtrack 4 and putting the wifi card into monitor mode works just fine bridged through vmware :) )

Amd 64bit x2 dc 6000+
Windows 7 64bit ultimate
gigabyte s board
6gb ddr3
2 x nvidia gtx 480-tri bridge (faster data transfer)
3 x 250gb storage
2 x 160gb (320) raid
1 usb henry keyboard hoover :D

When 2.8 ultimate edition full is released,im going to do a full install to make full use of all that beautifull eye candy available

sweeeeeeeet

supermario641996
August 16th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I started using Linux a good year ago. I had installed on my PS3. After liking it so much I installed it on my computer. The computer was really old so I was always reparing something on it. I went from Windows ME to Windows XP to Ubuntu. Then my hard drive broke but I had a hard drive from a computer that had all the sane hardware. It had Windows ME on it so I went to Windows XP then back to Ubuntu. After that computer died I got a new computer that came with Windows XP but I installed Ubuntu on it. that computer's hard drive died so install Ubuntu on a new hard drive. Then then motherboard died and I kept on trying to get it to work. I got it to work once but then it died again. I then got a Netbook with Windows 7 Starter. When I realized how limited WIndows 7 Starter was I installed Ubuntu on it. Then while I was trying to fix drivers some of the other drivers stopped working so I ended up reinstalling Ubuntu about 4 to 5 times. I now only have one driver problem. I have been trying to get a working computer for my self for a long time because I am 16 Aand I have no money. All the computers and laptops I ever had were given to me. This is my second laptop and I had six computers most of them were about ten years old.

eidoslinux
August 16th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I have been using Linux since about 2k, doing both windows and Linux dual boot. But for the past few years only running Linux, i only install windows when i am beta testing it so when family members have problems i can get around there system. Although since win7 came out i have converted them to Ubuntu, so don't have to worry anymore about win anymore. and if they have issues i just SSh into there systems at there homes and fix it from here. It is good to have Ubuntu and Linux.

AliG112
August 17th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I use xp and lucid with 2 separate hd's. Mostly use ubuntu but return to windows to use photoshop and dreamweaver mostly because I don't think any linux alternative really compares.

juanclunac
August 17th, 2010, 01:50 AM
i have a windows partition but i never use it, but my dad and bro use it.

risegeek
August 17th, 2010, 02:08 AM
I currently use Windows 7 on my Desktop computer, I play the odd game - also need to keep myself familiar with Windows because I work with it & it only in my College course :(

I have Ubuntu installed on my Laptop & my Server. I plan on using Linux as my primary OS at College next year, I have finished the first year which means I get to focus more on the important stuff :p

stuartcnz
August 17th, 2010, 05:13 AM
I use xp and lucid with 2 separate hd's. Mostly use ubuntu but return to windows to use photoshop and dreamweaver mostly because I don't think any linux alternative really compares.

A good comparable alternative to Photoshop is GIMP. If you find the interface difficult because it is different to Photoshop, I believe GIMPshop should be familiar to use.

Not sure on a direct alternative to Dreamweaver, but would suggest you give Quanta Plus a try.

mamamia88
August 17th, 2010, 05:21 AM
2 harddrives in my laptop 1 with windows 7 and 1 with ubuntu 10.04. I barely use windows but don't see the point in deleting it. I do like having it around so I can use the Office spell check which seems much better than the openoffice spell check

rollin
August 17th, 2010, 05:22 AM
A good comparable alternative to Photoshop is GIMP. If you find the interface difficult because it is different to Photoshop, I believe GIMPshop should be familiar to use.

+1 After a few years I found GIMP to be more than a replacement. There's tons of info and tutorials out there, even YouTube videos now.

To the thread title I switched a long while ago. Windows seems kind of "plastic" now.

Cant
August 17th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I used to use the family computer (it used Windows XP) but then my brother gave me his computer which had Ubuntu 8.10 on it. Since then I've only used Linux.

tshep03
August 17th, 2010, 02:21 PM
@Jdodson:
Have you tried Kdenlive for video editing? I had the same problem you do for quite a while. I had to keep going back to XP for video editing. Kdenlive solved that problem. I like it better than Premier (and that's saying something). I'm on Linux full time now.

Also...Jack may solve your audio problems. Be prepared to spend some time configuring. It's a fairly steep learning curve...or it was (is) for me anyway. Your results may vary.

I love GIMP. I stopped bothering to steal photoshop long ago.

Garthhh
August 18th, 2010, 12:36 PM
About a year ago I was trying to resurrect a 10 year old PC & installed 8.04
I was totally shocked when I plugged in the old 1200 series HP printer & it just worked. Understand that I had to basically remove & reinstall the print drivers everytime I plugged in my laptop [xp] to print

There has been a learning curve. Learning to go check the software manager for what ever app I need:KS
I've gone to Mint9 on all 3 of our computers, there is still xp on one HDD, so I can restore my Ipod mini after I drop it off a ladder or whatever indignity I've subjected it too...

Sharing has pretty well kicked my ****, I have samba working, without having to resort to terminal

I've been using this music player,
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1380811
which is very good & getting better all the time

The only real issue with being in the linux/open source world, is the lack of coherent help files for many of the applications. the advice can be confusing, most of the more experienced users preferring the terminal to the GUI. Often I've followed fairly complex installation & set up procedures, only to find there was a GUI in the software manager or synaptic[ I'm trying to break the synaptic habit]

I'm never going back, it's just so much more logical over here :lolflag:

revelationman
August 18th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I would love to be honest I love Ubuntu 10.04 it just rocks on my AMD 620 Quad Core Desktop but there is still apps that require Windows.

My Blackberry needs it though it can read it but the sync etc is better with Windows.

My brother MFC Printer /Scanner does not work in Linux no matter what I try- If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to tell me.

But other then that my Linux is my Prime system I am on it more then Windows.
:D

honeybear
August 20th, 2010, 04:27 AM
I have found a recent user one :
http://www.jimbrooks.org/web/humor/BillGatesSwitchesToLinux.php

hi hi
:popcorn::KS

JoshDN
August 20th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I've been using Ubuntu for over a year now, and I really like it. It is hands down the most user friendly linux distro, with the easiest access to software packages. I would like to thank all of those that have put the time in effort to make and support this system. However there is still work to be done... Although I hate my windows 7 OS, I can't get rid of it yet for two reasons:

When i turn my computer on I know it will always boot - I've run into many errors with GRUB that are easily fixed, but still take time that some days I don't have.
Wireless Internet - Constant issue for every machine that I have ubuntu installed on. It always works on win7 and it is a necessity.

I want to see this OS go farther, but untill these issues are addressed I think people will turn away from it. These things certainly need to work if it is used in a business environment. I wish that I could help fix these issues, but i'm not much of a software developer. So for now I'll just stand on my soapbox and give my opinion.

Austin25
August 20th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Still not quite. I can't get a cd to burn, and my old desktop doesn't support usb booting, so for now I'm using a frugal install through unetbootin.

newbie2
August 20th, 2010, 09:56 AM
'We Need Hard Numbers'

Others, however, saw it differently.

"There are hundreds of conflicting estimates of how many Linux machines are out there," Montreal consultant and Slashdot blogger Gerhard Mack pointed out. "Knowing how many people are using Linux is important because larger numbers provide leverage when we go asking for drivers from hardware manufacturers, apps from software makers or try and convince OEMs to bundle Linux."

Currently, "Microsoft has the advantage because they just count every machine sold with a Windows license as one for their team, so we need hard numbers to back our side of the story," Mack added.
Anti-FUD Ammunition

Indeed, such data "could be very useful to defeat FUD and to encourage OEMs to put more effort into selling GNU/Linux," blogger Robert Pogson agreed.
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/70652.html
:cool:

crazy_666
August 21st, 2010, 07:29 AM
I'm only with Ubuntu! I have only one problem- Photoshop! I need photoshop, but I can't install it on Ubuntu, so I use virtualbox for windows XP, only for Photoshop

ak9tyOne
August 21st, 2010, 09:06 AM
I agree with you crazy. If adobe released linux optimized versions of their creative suite software I would burn my hard drive with windows in celebration.

stuartcnz
August 21st, 2010, 10:33 AM
I'm only with Ubuntu! I have only one problem- Photoshop! I need photoshop, but I can't install it on Ubuntu, so I use virtualbox for windows XP, only for Photoshop
Try GIMP, or GIMPShop if you prefer the Photoshop interface.

jpa1980
August 22nd, 2010, 04:29 AM
Unfortunately I have to keep XP around also because of my nice (and already paid for) but unsupported video card. Not to mention my problems with any flashvideo, or game. Fortunately I just love Linux and want to make it work but not all people, not even most, have the patience that I have for it and we are losing users quickly due to our lack of driver support, lack of choice with support of video and sound cards and constant wireless bugs.

taito
August 22nd, 2010, 09:44 AM
I've been using Ubuntu for almost one year and had only a few problems with it... far less than those I had with windows anyway! It's my main OS on all my computers... unfortunately I had to bear XP on a very tiny partition on my desktop... but only because of my internet banking... my bank allows it on win and it doesn't know even about the existence of Linux.
If someone is thinking whether to switch to Ubuntu or not... I say...take heart and DO IT NOW!! You'll be OK!!

a.v.l
August 22nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
How many of you have Ubuntu installed on you computer as the only operating system and what are your experiences of managing without Windows.

chong601
August 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM
very, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY HARD........

***especially whe you have ubuntu uninstalled but GRUB is not uninstalled.***

d3v1150m471c
August 22nd, 2010, 01:46 PM
you'd have to pay me to use windows

chaanakya_chiraag
August 22nd, 2010, 01:47 PM
Same here!

chong601
August 22nd, 2010, 01:47 PM

at least you can download an ISO image of Windows and burn it then install it.

Elfy
August 22nd, 2010, 01:48 PM
at least you can download an ISO image of Windows and burn it then install it.

Stop trolling please. While we are at it - where on the MS site can you get an iso to burn - I'd love to know.

Merged

Naiki Muliaina
August 22nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
Ignore! Thread merged and the forum wasn't showing me the right 'last post' ^^

August 22nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
the only reason i still barely hold on to windows, is the games >.<
SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE A SUPPORT FOR ALL WINDOWS GAMES, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

cool Cpu
August 22nd, 2010, 03:43 PM

i didnt switch to ubuntu

i like it but the thing about ubuntu is that it isnt 100% stable no enough devices support

so to survive u need windows and ubuntu.

im watching tv play games in windows cuz i cant do it in ubuntu
my tv card is not supported :(

about 60% of my time i spend using ubuntu 40% win 7

bourger
August 22nd, 2010, 06:45 PM
Can't quite remember how long I live completely windows-free: it should be two or three years. There were some problems with audio software (I used to convert audio a lot), but for now they are all gone. There is not so much problems as I had under windows time ago, and they happen almost akways only because of not thorough driver support - so it's not Ubuntu fail.
Ubuntu is just perfect for me.

mamamia88
August 22nd, 2010, 07:06 PM
I pretty much have but I want to build a gaming rig when I get some money saved up.

Garthhh
August 24th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I just bailed on the "mint experience" after a 6 month run, the repositories are superior, the layout easier to follow...
the forum is full of arrogant 'experts" which defeats the purpose of ease of use
the networking even worse than Ubuntu [one of the few less than shining features]
I'm here on 10.04 for the forseeable future

nmyrick
August 25th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Yeah, Unfortunately Ubuntu does not support all hardware, yet.

anafshalom
August 27th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I've been using Linux for about 5 years. The only things i use my windows machine for is Finale (Music notation software) and there are a few things I can do in MS Word easily that I cannot get Open Office Writer to do. This includes QUICKEN. I'm using it with Wine, and it works just fine. I just installed GnuCash yesterday, and my first impressions is that I like it better than Quicken--this may be because what I really wanted to use is QuickBooks which I cannot get to work on my Linux box or me windows machine (old laptop with not enough memory!)

I'm never going back to to Winows!

My main box has been windows free for 2+ years.

The only thing I thought I'd miss is a linux version of Quicken. I tried many things to compensate for this from win4lin to codeweavers.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, it was easier to site in front of OO spreadsheet and design a budget and financial tracking template. Which has been a lot easier for me to plan and track, and more personalized for me then quicken ever was. Online banking can be done from any browser in my case so that was never a need in Quicken for me, just a convienience.

The updide of that is Quicken has reverted to licensing tacktics and upgrades annually. (my sister still can not let go).

So in addition to being windows free, I've save about 3 upgrades of Quicken and Quicktax.

Once you make up your mind to see the computing world without windows, you will find a way to accomplish the same tasks.

Gaming may be a whole new ball game. (or obsession) :D

I think if you are 'thinking' about going windowless, you are ready, JUST DO IT and learn to have fun.

maddbaron
August 27th, 2010, 02:42 PM
just need to figure out how to make yahoo webcam work in gyachi and i'll leave windows behind for good on this laptop... i set my tax prep software up on my netbook with xp so i'm good with that...

guraknugen
August 27th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I've been using Linux for about 5 years. The only things i use my windows machine for is Finale (Music notation software)

I am trying to figure out how NtEd, a simple music notation thing, works. It's maybe too simple for you, but did you check it out?

and there are a few things I can do in MS Word easily that I cannot get Open Office Writer to do.

For me it was the other way around: There were a few things I never could figure out how to do in Word, so I just decided to go for OpenOffice.org for 100%. This was in 2006, on the other hand.
What things can't you do in OpenOffice.org Writer?

LinuxFox
August 27th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I use Ubuntu most of the time, but I keep Windows for playing some games, managing my iPod, and a few other things I can't do in Ubuntu for whatever reason.

ashoku22
August 27th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I have installed ubuntu 10.04 5 months before, accidentally i made a mistake while the installation so that i could'nt find the dual boot menu.But after that i really don't need winxp. Since then my only OS is UBUNTU. I LOVE UBUNTU. and with WINE working exceptionally well for me , i am enjoying a lot of windows apps in ubutnu .The only hurdle for me is my company website which is working only in IE.

Delvien
August 27th, 2010, 04:30 PM
the forum is full of arrogant 'experts"

Anytime Linux + IRC or Forums are involved, this is what you have. Ubuntu has them too, believe me.

Delvien
August 27th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I have installed ubuntu 10.04 5 months before, accidentally i made a mistake while the installation so that i could'nt find the dual boot menu.But after that i really don't need winxp. Since then my only OS is UBUNTU. I LOVE UBUNTU. and with WINE working exceptionally well for me , i am enjoying a lot of windows apps in ubutnu .The only hurdle for me is my company website which is working only in IE.

Try a firefox extension called "IE Tab"

Garthhh
August 27th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Anytime Linux + IRC or Forums are involved, this is what you have. Ubuntu has them too, believe me.

Of course that is true, but there many more users here & the less helpful members don't seem to receive support from the moderators. [your mileage may vary]
Mint is supposed to be a gateway distro.

Any idea of a browser besides Firefox, that supports the Googletoolbar?

anthony2010
August 28th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I only use ubuntu for my main distro and also take a healthy interest in new linux distros as they appear on Distrowatch.com. Some of the gentoo based system tools are pretty neat and are worth having a live cd of but for actual computing I use ubuntu.

I refuse to infest my computer with a microsoft product.

Oxwivi
August 28th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I'm using a 10 GB HDD cause my 80 GB I used went haywire. I plan to install XP on an external HDD for gaming purposes.

mamamia88
August 28th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I'm using a 10 GB HDD cause my 80 GB I used went haywire. I plan to install XP on an external HDD for gaming purposes.

i would make it a separate internal harddrive probably be faster than usb

loveandequality
August 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I have gone Linux 100%. The only things i miss is video chat and voice chat. Also i miss DIVX and some Flash sites but over all is fine. Video and vioce chat is possible but is not easy in empathy and pidgin only for google chat.

loveandequality
August 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I have gone Linux 100%. The only things i miss is video chat and voice chat. Also i miss DIVX and some Flash sites but over all is fine. Video and voice chat is possible but is not easy in empathy and pidgin only for google chat.

August 28th, 2010, 06:33 PM
i miss windows games....
i still am holding windows by a hair

Oxwivi
August 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM
i would make it a separate internal harddrive probably be faster than usb
I am aware of that, but I cannot buy an new internal HDD. The external one I mentioned is a gift by a friend.

Malcolm Jackson
August 28th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I want to go totally Ubuntu, but need Microsoft for flight sim. I have been trying to install X-Plane on Ubuntu 10.04 for about 3 weeks now. Too scared to get rid of MS until I am confident of using Ubuntu. May take a very long time to reach that stage judging from progress so far.

mamamia88
August 28th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I am aware of that, but I cannot buy an new internal HDD. The external one I mentioned is a gift by a friend.

an external harddrive is just a internal harddrive with a usb connector. you can take it apart and use it as an internal sata drive if you wish

Oxwivi
August 28th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I am not good with my hands, so I would rather not take the risk.

August 28th, 2010, 07:18 PM
lol

ex_isp
August 28th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Six machines here is home network. (4 desktops and 2 laptops). 2 desktops are Zorin Linux only, 1 desktop (actually rack server) is Mint, 1 desktop is xp because the only thing it does is run my magic jack, and both laptop are Ubuntu. Sooo, 5 out of 6 on Linux for 9 months now.

Each day that goes by I wonder more, "why didn't I switch to Linux years ago!"

stuartcnz
August 28th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I want to go totally Ubuntu, but need Microsoft for flight sim. I have been trying to install X-Plane on Ubuntu 10.04 for about 3 weeks now. Too scared to get rid of MS until I am confident of using Ubuntu. May take a very long time to reach that stage judging from progress so far.

Have you tried Flight Gear on Ubuntu. Might be a subsitute for you.

OrionXIII
August 29th, 2010, 06:40 AM
That's all I use Windows for - my heavy-duty games like Battlefield 2, Spore, SimCity, Civilization, FlightSim, that sort of thing.

OH, and Access - I have a couple of ODBC applications I haven't configured yet to run on Linux as they use the Borland Database Engine...Just a matter of time.

So that's what Windows is to me now: A game system. Other than that, it's a piece of JUNK. I abandoned it for any sort of work over a year ago and I've never been happier. Ubuntu makes using a computer fun again.

http://blog-in-the-box.blogspot.com/2010/08/ubuntu-vs-windows.html

http://blog-in-the-box.blogspot.com/2009/07/linux-rules.html

http://blog-in-the-box.blogspot.com/2009/07/adventures-in-linux.html

Orion

jefelex
September 2nd, 2010, 07:14 PM
The only windows I have on my hard drive is msdos 6.22 and WFW 3.11 - just for old times sake - I've been using linux on my home computers since about 2003 - works for me! :-)

Austin25
September 2nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
Me!:D

Jammerton
September 2nd, 2010, 08:18 PM
I despise windows. I switched to Linux about 4 years ago, have been using Ubuntu for the past 2 years. When I want to play a really cutting edge game, i play the ps3 version. I have a desktop and my netbook. Desktob is running Kubuntu....netbook.....kubuntu..no need for anything else. I used gnome for a time, but got bored with it.

M93
September 2nd, 2010, 08:22 PM
100 % linux
but i have XP on virtualbox for games and itunes :)

Rasa1111
September 2nd, 2010, 08:32 PM
100% Ubuntu.

Ditched windows a week after my 9.10 disc came in the mail.
Havent gone back, won't go back.
Don't miss it at all,
and don't use wine. lol

not only am I all Linux/Ubuntu..
but I have my entire family nearly 100% Ubuntu users now to. lol
With the exception of one sister, cuz she lives far away.

Even getting some of their friends to switch!

I second the sentiments of ex_isp~
Why didnt I switch to Linux a looong time ago? lol

Well, Because of useless , unwarranted FUD. :P

tbird6820
September 2nd, 2010, 10:40 PM
:p I'm running two home desktop,one as my primary and the second I use to back up my first just in case,with xp pro on both.

Now I completely reformatted my primary desktop and have Ubuntu 10.04 up and running and I'll say its the best thing I have EVER done!

I haven't booted my xp pro since and I'm happy to say my stress went from 10 to 0. :D

medic2000
September 2nd, 2010, 11:12 PM
100%. But for the games i must keep a Windows partition.

jerenept
September 2nd, 2010, 11:21 PM
100%. But for the games i must keep a Windows partition.

how is that completely switching to Linux?
you still have a Windows partition, and use it.

amchornet
September 2nd, 2010, 11:39 PM
I have completely switched about 2 years ago. Any issues I have ran into I have been able to get around and it did not involve shelling any money out to Microsoft either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Father Of Many
September 3rd, 2010, 12:31 AM
I switched my kids game computer to Ubuntu last week when the Microsoft license suddenly became invalid, it's not even connected to the internet. So far the kids love the games that are on it, and the oldest is having a ball figuring out how to make everything work. I have no regrets dumping Windows.

Master Cabbage
September 3rd, 2010, 12:44 AM
I have switched 100% to Linux earlier this month. It was the best thing I have done in terms of maintenance on my computer. I was thinking about spending a ton of cash on a new computer even though the one I have isn't that old (only about 4 1/2 years). What is especially pitiful is that I just wanted a computer that could load documents without taking hours waiting for the computer to turn on and waiting for the file to open. With Ubuntu I have a computer that I feel works as quickly as the day I first got it, it is great.

MetaDark
September 3rd, 2010, 01:17 AM
I have not completely made the switch yet, I want to but I just can't get rid of it because I need things like Photoshop, Adobe's other products...

I know there are alternatives but the just don't match up to the original thing.

I am sure as soon as Adobe makes a Photoshop for Ubuntu or any Linux distro, people will be swarming into Linux and other major companies will see that and try to join on making programs for Linux.

nidzo732
September 3rd, 2010, 07:29 AM
i use ubuntu almost all the time, but i need windows 7 for gaming , and my tv card won't work in ubuntu.

goldengriffin
September 3rd, 2010, 10:16 AM
Same here too......most of time I'm using ubuntu...but for some image editing software (like photoshop or lightroom) I'm still using windows.......hope linux will also got some nice image editing software like those (yaa better than the existing once)

murderslastcrow
September 3rd, 2010, 11:16 AM
The key to switching effectively is to not switch entirely at first. That worked for me, since I was purposely weening myself off of my work applications and any gaming, so I didn't have many deeply entrenched needs from Windows.

However, if you want to switch, but feel uncomfortable, make a bit of a plan. Go ahead and dual boot, and for everything you 'need' in Windows, go through the following steps.

1. Look up your application in Wine's AppDB and install it if it works. Sometimes there are workarounds to get something working better than usual.

2. If it doesn't work in Wine, look at alternatives in the Software Center and do a bit of research on your favorite search engine. Try new things and keep them around so you can gradually learn them in your spare time, and try not to cling so warily to your Windows versions of these kinds of programs. Try something new, see what Linux has to offer you before dismissing it because it's unfamiliar.

3. If you find that an alternative available on Linux just won't do for you, then you can still sort of get rid of Windows, or at least the dual-boot, and run those specific applications in VirtualBox. Depending on the speed of your computer and amount of RAM, this may be perfectly suitable (even for gamers), or it may be a bit laggy (1 GB of RAM, for instance, doesn't always provide snappiness, even though it provides decent speed).

If you keep doing these things, you may find the alternatives become easier to use over time, and you may find some new features you really like and wonder how you ever lived without them.

If you use Adobe products for your job that don't work in Wine, or if you play games that don't work in Wine, you pretty much don't have a choice but to run Windows in some fashion (in a VirtualBox or otherwise).

But, if that doesn't fit your description, you can in all likelihood move completely if you can just find the alternatives and try them. Don't lock yourself into just one OS if you want multiple.

Also, one final note. As I've grown so accustomed to Linux and can't see myself using anything else (I'd virtualize Windows if for some reason I needed it), I find myself looking at the AppDB before trying to get into something from Windows. I just naturally don't look for extra unnecessary software from another platform, really, but I always check. If you buy games or software with Wine compatibility in mind, then you won't end up with any Windows games you can't play in Linux.

This is what I suggest if you like Linux too much to give it up and you don't like to dual-boot. There are many options, just don't take it too seriously, and give yourself room and explore the options.

Fableflame
September 3rd, 2010, 02:44 PM
3. If you find that an alternative available on Linux just won't do for you, then you can still sort of get rid of Windows, or at least the dual-boot, and run those specific applications in VirtualBox. Depending on the speed of your computer and amount of RAM, this may be perfectly suitable (even for gamers), or it may be a bit laggy (1 GB of RAM, for instance, doesn't always provide snappiness, even though it provides decent speed).

If you use Adobe products for your job that don't work in Wine, or if you play games that don't work in Wine, you pretty much don't have a choice but to run Windows in some fashion (in a VirtualBox or otherwise).

But if you are running Windows through VirtualBox, have you really completelly switched to Linux?

mandalay75
September 3rd, 2010, 09:15 PM
I have been a Windows addict for most of my life, and I switched to Linux... It was the best decision I ever made!!!

Kubuntu has the same feel as Windows, but sooooooooooooooooooooooo much better!!!! if you play mp3s, help.ubuntu.com/community/restrictedformats and download the restricted mp3 package.

BE CAREFUL BECAUSE IN LINUX YOU CAN DELETE YOUR TASK BARS!!! It's not easy to get them back unless you have free time and are patient.

Don't worry about formatting your hard drive, Kubuntu will format and delete those icky space consuming Windows partitions for you! Just sit back, watch some tv, have a beer, and let it run its course. It will take about an 1+ hours to get it all setup. Breathe it will be ok.

I wouldn't start out with Fedora just yet...stay away from that one for now. It's very scripted and not very user-friendly...Start out with OpenSuse, Ubuntu, or Kubuntu.

Hope this helps...

September 4th, 2010, 03:12 AM
no windows games compatibility and game station emulators yet? :cry:

marcelirvin
September 4th, 2010, 04:16 AM
I am also a gamer but I totally switched to Linux.

September 4th, 2010, 06:39 AM
lol but wine doesnt support all the games i want to play xD
those games i have are ooooooooooooooooooooooooold
"populous: the beginning" old lol

Garthhh
September 4th, 2010, 03:27 PM
The key to switching effectively is to not switch entirely at first. That worked for me, since I was purposely weening myself off of my work applications and any gaming, so I didn't have many deeply entrenched needs from Windows.

However, if you want to switch, but feel uncomfortable, make a bit of a plan. Go ahead and dual boot, and for everything you 'need' in Windows, go through the following steps.

1. Look up your application in Wine's AppDB and install it if it works. Sometimes there are workarounds to get something working better than usual.

2. If it doesn't work in Wine, look at alternatives in the Software Center and do a bit of research on your favorite search engine. Try new things and keep them around so you can gradually learn them in your spare time, and try not to cling so warily to your Windows versions of these kinds of programs. Try something new, see what Linux has to offer you before dismissing it because it's unfamiliar.

If you keep doing these things, you may find the alternatives become easier to use over time, and you may find some new features you really like and wonder how you ever lived without them.

But, if that doesn't fit your description, you can in all likelihood move completely if you can just find the alternatives and try them. Don't lock yourself into just one OS if you want multiple.

Also, one final note. As I've grown so accustomed to Linux and can't see myself using anything else (I'd virtualize Windows if for some reason I needed it), I find myself looking at the AppDB before trying to get into something from Windows. I just naturally don't look for extra unnecessary software from another platform, really, but I always check. If you buy games or software with Wine compatibility in mind, then you won't end up with any Windows games you can't play in Linux.

This is what I suggest if you like Linux too much to give it up and you don't like to dual-boot. There are many options, just don't take it too seriously, and give yourself room and explore the options.

a good easy to follow path, except you have #1&#2 are switched.
the biggest stumbling block I had was from working my **** off trying to get an old familiar apps working before checking the software center.

erbeesr
September 4th, 2010, 03:38 PM
the only thing that keeps me from removing Microsoft is I can't find a decent database comparable to Lotus Approach. If I could find one for Ubuntu, Microsoft would be GONE.

mr_luksom
September 6th, 2010, 11:22 AM
The only thing keeping me using xp is my darn iPhone....

Upgraded to iOS4.0.2 - can't get the darn thing to sync anymore...

I blame Steve Jobs for my inability to ditch windows.

ryanfitton
September 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I use WIndows 7 Home premium on my dekstop, because most of my prgrams are on there that i need, but I do use Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Remix on my Comapy Mini 700ea :) works like a dream.

stuartcnz
September 7th, 2010, 03:26 AM
The only thing keeping me using xp is my darn iPhone....

Upgraded to iOS4.0.2 - can't get the darn thing to sync anymore...

I blame Steve Jobs for my inability to ditch windows.

Wouldn't he prefer you to use OSX, rather than Windows?

mamamia88
September 7th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I've been using ubuntu exclusively for awhile now. I've been wanting to build a gaming pc for awhile not but I am in college and work at same time and also have a ps3 and xbox 360. I don't know when I would have enough time to play all the console games I want much less pc games.

Wiredfixer
September 7th, 2010, 05:29 PM
The worst part of Switching is when you work in a Enterprise Enviroment, with ISA Server, Exchange and other Stuff from "microsuave".

Today i work with Ubuntu 10.04, AD with Likewise 6, CNTLM for some programs like Skype and APT, Everything Else is fine..

In My House i still work with Windows 7, because i like to play some games, WINE doesnt convinces me at all.

September 7th, 2010, 09:58 PM
id really like to completely get windows off my normal hard drive, but virtualbox still doenst let me play games on there :cry:

0N3
September 7th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I recently bought a brand new laptop with Windows 7 installed on it first thing I did was format that and put Ubuntu onto it. I hate waiting for 5 mins on windows for everything to load with my Ubuntu I have far more programmes set to startup than I did on Windows and the minute the screen loads everything is loaded unlike windows waiting for everything to load Vista was horiffic.

Austin25
September 7th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I have!
Laptop-Ubuntu
Desktop-Xubuntu

manny43
September 7th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I have not completely switched to Linux yet.Reason:Netflix.

myle
September 8th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I have switched too. It is more than 2 years now that I don't have an installation of Windows and more than 3 years that I don't use Windows anymore..

rory526
September 8th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I dual boot with XP but never use windows. I even do all my gaming on linux; Spring, WolfensteinET, and hours of tetris.

sikander3786
September 8th, 2010, 04:52 PM
In my home, it is completely Ubuntu. No Windows at all. But I am forced to use Windows in my office. I don't like it but I have to...

At my cyber cafe, it is 20 PCs running Windows. I am now thinking of switching at least 2 of them to Ubuntu and wait for the customer feedback. What they think of it, they like it or not and then go for the big decision...

nmyrick
September 8th, 2010, 07:17 PM
To WiredFixer,

There is a version of Skype in your Ubuntu Software Center that works perfectly fine. You don't need any additional Windows conversion software for that. Just go to you Applications menu, then open Ubuntu Software Center, and type in Skype, then click 'install'. Or, you can go to the following link to get it: http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/linux/

nmyrick

aala
September 21st, 2010, 05:25 AM
If gaming is what most of you are up to!!!... Have you considered PS3, XBox, WII.

RaZoR1394
September 21st, 2010, 05:32 AM
If gaming is what most of you are up to!!!... Have you considered PS3, XBox, WII.

I have all three but game mostly on 360. It's great but sometimes you want a gaming session on the pc as well.

mfklinux
September 21st, 2010, 03:28 PM
I put together a new computer 2 years ago and loaded Debian. I have since reloaded several times and switched to Linux mint but have not been back to windows. I experiment and have had several real goof ups and had to reload but I am there to stay. I am presently wanting to buy an Epson B 510 DN printer and cannot find any records of experience on using it with Linux, particularly Linux mint, but so far I have found "drivers" for every thing else I have wanted so I think I will on this.
One entry above mentioned problems with their scanner. There is a program called "simple scan" that works better than anything else. I got this with one of the Linux mint installations. It probably is available with other Linux systems.
If you want to go to any new system the way to do it is learn what you can about it then move to it completely. It is hard to learn the new stuff if you have the old always available to fall back on.
One more thing, just for fun. I have not learned how to open windmail.dat attachments in e-mails. No reply needed for this. I am not interested in learning.

Ojustaboo
September 22nd, 2010, 12:47 AM

Like others, I have all 3.

Some games I love on consoles, many many others I prefer on my PC.

Something like Oblivion or Fallout3, great on the consoles, 100000 times better on the PC with mods etc.

Lord of the rings online, game I spend most my time on, not available for consoles. Same for flight sims. There's many games better suited to the PC.

Thing is, wine etc is not a practical solution for me. When say a Lord of the rings update comes out, I want to click on the launch button, wait for the update to download (have 50mbit cable so doesn't usually take long) and then play.

I don't want to spend hours getting a game to work under Linux then find that when it's updated, I have to spend hours again to get it working again (and then sometimes games don't play 100% properly with wine).

Computers should be for what people enjoy doing. Some will use theirs 99% of the time for gaming. Some for art, some for photography, some for internet use etc. Why it's often implied by some Linux users that gamers should be on a console, I don't know. People give honest reasons as to why they can't completely switch and some of the Linux communities advice is basically go away and use a games console. It sounds like you think Linux is too good for gamers (comes across elitist).

Same thing happens when people say they WANT to use say Photoshop. They get told to use Gimp. Some people are happy with Gimp, many many others prefer Photoshop. Computing should be about choice.

I love Linux but I'm a computer geek. It's improves in leaps and bounds from my first experiences with installing sco unix many many years ago and depending on what people are using their PC's for, it would suit many more people now than a few years ago.

But any serious PC gamer that likes to play the latest games isn't going to be happy.

Neither is someone who knows say Photoshop back to front, their friends/work etc use it, and they get told to try gimp. I know a few of you will respond saying you fit that category and are more than happy with gimp, I know there's nothing at all wrong with gimp and I realise that many of you on this forum would have made the change. But for the average user, it will be a major sticking point. If I was told to ditch MS Flight sim and use an alternative, doesn't matter how good the alternative is, I want to use my MS flight sim with all my addons both free and paid for. I also use X-plane which does run under Linux and I enjoy using both. being told to ditch one to use Linux would be a no no for me (and many others)

Personally Linux does 99% of what I want to do, trouble is I spend a lot of time on the other 1%. I dual boot and if I don't intend doing any of the 1% always choose Linux, however, most days I do want to either game, use photoshop, use flight sim etc hence I'm writing this on Windows 7 as it simply becomes impracticable to reboot all the time.

On top of that there's the simple fact that personally I've had Ubuntu insist on rebooting after updates far more than Windows 7. I've NEVER had windows 7 crash on me. Never had Ubuntu crash either, but the point is, even though I'm far from being a MS fan, windows 7 is a very good operating system and if I'm logged into win7, it simply works with LESS fiddling about than I have to do in Ubuntu. Add to that that loads of open source software runs on Windows, there ends up less and less of a reason to load Linux. An old PC etc will obviously benefit from Linux, but a new one will come with win 7 already. The only people I know that have any sorts of problems with Win7 are people using hacked copies.

Bearing in mind you can legitimately buy windows 7 premium 64 bit for £40 if you have any child of any age at school/college, the cost factor of upgrading a couple of year old PC to win7 becomes very neglible too.

I know this comes across as me being anti Linux but that isn't the case. I'm just trying to point out why to a lot of people, switching to Linux simply wouldn't make sense.

I love Linux but it still has a LONG way before the average PC user I know would be prepared to switch. Having a go at such people when they give their reasons why is hardly helping.

rodrigr2006
September 22nd, 2010, 03:37 AM
Not a power user and still learning. Have not been using windows since December, last year and got rid of it completely 3 months ago. I kept windows around for microsoft office and for google earth. Now that the newest version of open office does all i need it to do and since i got google earth working... windows has been removed.

alex_vr
September 22nd, 2010, 03:55 AM
I switched from Windows 1 week ago or close to it(Completely). I don't play computer games so I don't miss Windows.

IanAdams
September 22nd, 2010, 05:45 AM
Ubuntu and Backtrack. Nothing else on any of my computers. Desktops, servers, and laptops.

Prohibited
September 22nd, 2010, 09:50 AM
I've used Ubuntu (8.04, 9.04, 9.10 and 10.04) previously and but I picked up gaming again so I've been running Windows XP.

I'm either (hopefully) getting a new computer soon in which case I'll be dual booting XP (or Seven) with Ubuntu 10.10 once it is released or will be dual booting Ubuntu.

Still a gamer and will have a Windows installation until that changes.

aytech
September 22nd, 2010, 10:07 AM
First dual-boot, then Win removal. I used to be a gamer, but found fiddling with the new OS far more interesting hobby :) Still run Win7 on my wife's netbook, and cant talk her into switchin... :(

Hiren Modi
September 22nd, 2010, 10:15 AM
The x86 like processors have separate instructions for saving (fnsave) and restore (frstor) FPU state and so it looks like the OS is burdened with saving/restoring them.I presume unless the FPU unit has been used by the usermode process, linux context switch will not save it for you.

opendevlite
September 22nd, 2010, 11:45 AM
almost, still using windows on virtual box, but no dual boot with windows

linux-hack
September 22nd, 2010, 12:08 PM
almost, still using windows on virtual box, but no dual boot with windows

I hate windows but sometimes you need it so idem juste as vm.

Chame_Wizard
September 22nd, 2010, 12:15 PM
Completely switched since February 2008,after 13 months of dual boot.:guitar:

riskable
September 23rd, 2010, 02:17 PM
I'm sure some folks won't believe it but I installed Linux on my desktop PC 11 years ago because, well, I'm as geeky as they come. I wanted to make sure I knew "everything"... Windows, Mac OS, *and* this new Linux thing. I figured, "What better way to learn it than to force myself to use it every day?" That was some of the best advice I ever gave myself.

At the time I was into FPS gaming--big time. I used to travel all around New England attending LAN parties and (usually) winning any tournaments going on. I won all sorts of trophies and hardware (memory, graphics cards, etc) but my favorite prize was a T-shirt that says, "Most Dangerous Player" (still have it). So I kept Windows around for gaming until I got a mandate from my (then) girlfriend (now my wife =) to stop "wasting" our time playing games so much.

So for about three months I tried playing games only occasionally and eventually gave up because that's about how long it takes for you to lose your edge. I couldn't stand losing due to lack of practice so I just gave up gaming altogether--cold turkey. For a brief period I was into MMORPGs but it didn't last.

Without games I didn't need Windows anymore so from then on I was Linux-only. My rough estimate is that I've been free from the shackles of Windows for about a decade now. To say it changed my life would be an understatement!

But there's more! Not only did I switch my home desktop to Linux I also switched my work desktop to Linux (violating company policies =). I've been using Linux desktops at every single job I've had since then... Amazing, I know!

This is how many companies provided me with a Linux desktop: 0. I had to "go rogue" at every one and do it myself. This has left me with loads of expertise at using Linux in Windows environments and it paid off: I actually had a job for a year at, well, we'll call it *America* Mega Bank integrating Unix hosts into Active Directory.

My advice to folks thinking about switching your work desktop to Linux (against typical company policies): Only do it if you're working with Linux every day anyway (i.e. you're a Unix Admin, a developer, or a consultant of some sort). Also, only do it if you have administrative rights to your Windows desktop. Why? Because if they gave you admin rights they've pretty much given up the goose as far as policing what's installed on your machine. At every company I've worked at all the folks with administrative rights get put into a special AD group that basically says, "these are tech geeks" so it won't throw up big red alarms when the non-techie bosses see a Linux host in the audit report.

They'll just assume it is a VM or a development box or something similar (there's a million and one reasons why any given SysAdmin, developer, or consultant would have a Linux host). Also, it doesn't hurt to make friends with folks that have domain admin rights in your company's Active Directory (if they're using AD).

Lastly, boot your desktop into Windows at least once per month so it doesn't get auto-expired from the domain. However, if you forget and you suddenly have a need to use your Windows install just call the helpdesk and say something like, "Yeah, it's odd... I can't seem to login to Windows today." and give them the failed auth error message. They'll have someone re-join your desktop to the domain in a jiffy.

They won't even question it and here's why: Windows sucks (and you know it). Any company with at least 50 Windows desktops joined to AD will have at least one of them de-auth from the domain on any given day every month. The necessary service could've been hung, it got infected with something (most likely), or it just plain stopped responding to the domain controller for no good reason.

nmyrick
September 23rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
Riskable,

Good to hear from someone who has had Linux for so long. As for your wife, I'm surprised you didn't dump her after she made you quit gaming :) Sometimes, women don't realize the magnitude of the compromises we make for them :) Anyway, do you have any suggestions for some good software and repositories that don't come stock with Ubuntu?

lxlv01
September 23rd, 2010, 10:22 PM
I am fully with Linux for two years now, but i have been dual booting for more. I needed a couple of windows only programs, which i don't any more, so i dumped the whole thing, and i am very very happy for this.

it is true that women don't realize the level of compromises we have to make for them sometimes. however, i have switched my girlfriend to ubuntu, 6 months ago and her windows installation is not used any more while initially she was calling ubuntu a "strange program with a weird name". 10.04 seemed to be the thing that made her change her mind so we have agreed that by christmas, her laptop will have only ubuntu and nothing else.

Señor Banana
September 25th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I only use Kubuntu and BT4R1

Half-Left
September 25th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Pure Linux household here and my friend across the road is getting on great since I set him up with Ubuntu. His Windows Vista screwed up so I thought I'd upgrade him. :)

BigCityCat
September 25th, 2010, 03:40 AM
I can't get citrix web client to work on my 64bit system under Linux so I still have windows, but my neighbors computer went ape **** so I set him up with an Ubuntu install. He really only checks his email and does a little surfing so he is happy. He likes not having to worry about security and it's good because he has no idea what he is doing and he would get infected day one in windows.

FizzBuzz
September 25th, 2010, 04:21 AM
I've been using Linux since 1997, but I keep Windows around for gaming and for game programming. I started with RedHat, moved to Debian and naturally to Ubuntu once it was stable.

I see operating systems as tools. Windows is handy for 3D game playing and commercial game development. Linux is handy for just about everything except games and graphic design. Mac is handy for graphic designers, people who are afraid of their computers, or for tech savvy people who don't mind a watered down flavor of BSD.

Because I develop embedded systems software, I primarily use Linux for most of my work. I use Gentoo for those systems, but use Ubuntu as a desktop and server OS. I've been happily using Ubuntu for the last six years or so.

etdsbastar
September 25th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I am using Ubuntu from the past 4 years as single boot, in my Compaq SG3470IL, 2 GB Memory working like a charm;

Within this period I discovered many ways to speed-up (tweak) my ubuntu systems regarding speed, security and many other features.

Really, Ubuntu is one of the best OS out there; Hats off to Canonical and all the respected developers of Ubuntu.

sjhaffner
September 25th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I started Linux summer of 09 and switched to it completely then also. Except a windows VM. =) GO LINUX! I do miss some games though. =(

Frogs Hair
September 25th, 2010, 08:33 PM
A complete switch for me would mean not using Windows for work , school , or games and I don't foresee that happening .

Schrute Farms
September 25th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I first messed around with Linux about 8 years ago. I tried Mandrake, I think, in a dual boot with XP. Anyway, it was on a computer that I pieced together. Since it had oddball video & sound cards, there were no video drivers, so I only had 800X600 with no openGL, and no sound at all. I didn't have the time or patience to mess with it, so I gave it up.

I had a house guest move into my computer room last fall, so I had to start using my laptop, which had only been used my my 9 year old for the last couple of years. I found that it was riddled with viruses. After spending a couple of days trying to get rid of them all, I just decided to wipe the HD and reinstall XP using the restore disks. The computer ran great just after the restore, but then I had to install 5+ years of Windows updates. After that, it was unbearably slow. My house guest told me about Ubuntu, and urged me to try it. Needless to say, I was very impressed by how fast it was compared to Windows.

That computer never gets booted into windows anymore. Heck, even the kid likes Ubuntu better.

Once my house guest moved out, I installed Ubuntu onto my desktop. It has a lot more ram, so it runs XP pretty nicely. Even so, I only go into Windows on it to play a couple of old games (Madden '07 and MVP '05) and to record old vinyl records (Audacity crashes when trying to record).

mwildam
September 27th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I switched completely about a year ago (my work notebook in the office was the last bastion). I only have a virtualbox with Windows for doing support for legacy programs I coded before my Java time that runs on Windows only).

mwildam
September 27th, 2010, 08:23 AM
A complete switch for me would mean not using Windows for work , school , or games and I don't foresee that happening .
I think that was the reason for the original question - I think the OP was not just asking who is using a big of Ubuntu here and there.

For me a full yes. I don't go to school any more but I use Ubuntu also at work (80% of my co-workers use Windows). And I don't do gaming (no time) but very occassionally I try some of the Games in the repositories. If you need help on gaming look at http://www.playonlinux.com/en/ - not sure if already mentioned but I don't go back 100 pages, sorry. ;-)

West201
September 27th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I first started using Ubuntu (my first distro) a few months ago, and loved it ! With the exception that my sound cards& touchpad didn't work at all.. Sound cards was fixed automatically when I upgraded to Maverick, and my touchpad finally worked after editing the grub files. Now Ubuntu is absolutely awesome !!! I finally decided to switch from Win 7 Ultimate to Ubuntu... I wished I had tried a Linux distro sooner

aytech
September 27th, 2010, 10:28 AM
If you need help on gaming look at http://www.playonlinux.com/en/ - not sure if already mentioned but I don't go back 100 pages, sorry. ;-)

More like 700+, thx for the link ;)

Fafler
September 27th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Well, i did that 10 years ago. Redhat 6.2 replaced Windows 2000 and i haven't really looked back. Everything around the house runs Ubuntu or Debian.

I still keep a Windows machine for gaming, but it's been several months since the last time i used it.

Tell everyone you know (and even people you don't know) to try out the LiveCD, so they too can realise the value of free software.

mörgæs
September 27th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Congratulations both of you.

This topic feels more at home in the cafe:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6894

And by the way, I moved completely to Ubuntu from 5.10.

CharlesA
September 27th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Threads merged.

ubunterooster
September 27th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Until a while ago I was MS free for a year. Of course if I'm going to end up working with PCs I'm going to have to be able to be more versatile so I got a laptoop with windows 7 preinstalled

mahmoodkamal
September 27th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I have completely switched over except for my office work because they are still on windows :(

c00lwaterz
September 28th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I thought of switching to linux all the way but my laptop is getting high temperature. The fan doesn't work and I suspect GPU gets hot because fan is not working. No solution at this time because I tried many workarounds already and ask help from advance users but failed. I tried also other distros but also fail.

Toshiba m900 laptop. Not for linux. Maybe some other unit if I buy new one, but not this time.

chaanakya_chiraag
September 28th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I have switched over completely and do not use Windows or OS X except at school, where they are the only OSes installed :(

Quackers
September 29th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Sigh, I scrapped Vista only to realise that one of my poker programs doesn't completely work in Wine. I can open the program, play a tournament, but I can't access my account details or my cashier account. So I've put Vista back on just to look at my account. Sad.

jacob.david
September 29th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I switched to Ubuntu at office as my new office allows it. It is great. But the we use MS IIS as mail server. So having some trouble with my mails. I'm using Evolution.

ubunterooster
September 29th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Sigh, I scrapped Vista only to realise that one of my poker programs doesn't completely work in Wine. I can open the program, play a tournament, but I can't access my account details or my cashier account. So I've put Vista back on just to look at my account. Sad.
Does ReactOS work for you? http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

mamamia88
September 29th, 2010, 06:41 PM
does using macs and windows on college campus because i'm too lazy to bring my laptop count?

peptobismal
September 30th, 2010, 01:14 AM
i am thinking of creating cinerellia deb packages when i get that to work,They already have deb packages for Cinellera? Just not at HeroineWarrior.com they pushed the development elsewhere. I absolutely love this program. It's been awhile since I used it, it was a pain creating a TOC file for every MPEG but other than that it's amazing.

Cinelerra: http://cinelerra.org/getting_cinelerra.php

russnae
September 30th, 2010, 04:10 AM
I still use windows vista only because i have never gotten wine to work and i still use windows apps

Chris1274
September 30th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I'm 100% Ubuntu on my home computers. My office computer has winXP on it, but I only use it when I need to print something on the department printer. Otherwise I use my linux laptop at work.

TSanchess
September 30th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I switched to ubuntu in 2008.

I've been using windowsxp as a second os for full functionality of my epson printer+scanner, logitech webcam and I couldn't get my USR modem to work. Then I got tired of booting to windows and started using VBox, I was using mainly MSOffice and some other apps required for homework at the university.

Now I have only ubuntu on my pc but the rest of the family uses windows xp and seven because they need it for work and education.

The thread is huge, It would be interesting to see a summary)

Wtower
September 30th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Count me too. All my business and entertainment through ubuntu on all pcs. Really feels awkward if i have to sit in front of win! I just miss a couple of games to be honest.

kryg3r
September 30th, 2010, 08:44 AM
completely over to ubuntu and loving it

Alir3z4
September 30th, 2010, 08:51 AM
oh yeah!
i switched linux and erase win in 1 hour!!!
my two brothers too!
i like ubuntu, debian lenny and back track.

rjbl
September 30th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I switched to Ubuntu at office as my new office allows it. It is great. But the we use MS IIS as mail server. So having some trouble with my mails. I'm using Evolution.

No kidding!!!

rjbl

nmyrick
October 1st, 2010, 04:03 AM
The fix is to replace the fan. I had to do this recently with my Acer laptop. Go to http://www.laptoppartsexpert.com/catalog.html

Aetixintro
October 1st, 2010, 04:03 AM
I go with dual use by Windows and Ubuntu. It's just safer to be on two systems, I think.

And for that matter, it may be nice to have two computers too, also with dual boot! Preserving gaming possibilities and help bring about the wave change in IT world democracy.

That is, symmetry should be insisted upon!!

nmyrick
October 1st, 2010, 04:08 AM
I had no troubles when I was on a network using IIS. Check with your network administrator. You probably need to map your Evolution directly to the mail server, and not to the Outlook Web Access page.

nmyrick
October 1st, 2010, 04:12 AM
I thought of switching to linux all the way but my laptop is getting high temperature. The fan doesn't work and I suspect GPU gets hot because fan is not working. No solution at this time because I tried many workarounds already and ask help from advance users but failed. I tried also other distros but also fail.

Toshiba m900 laptop. Not for linux. Maybe some other unit if I buy new one, but not this time.
You need to replace the fan. Bad hardware is bad hardware, no matter what OS you are running. Try going to http://www.laptoppartsexpert.com/catalog.html

juil
October 1st, 2010, 05:59 AM
I have Windows XP installed as well, but i'm using ubuntu 99% of the time. I need windows for itunes and when i get the iphone, i need itunes to install my apps and organize my music.

Zanthir
October 1st, 2010, 10:58 PM
I have an Open Solaris server, Ubuntu server, and Ubuntu laptop at home. At work I use Windows 7. I had 7 on my laptop until it got infected with a nasty virus.

Still kind of wish I had windows so I didn't have to do research, etc. before buying Starcraft 2, or some other game I'm considering. Although most games, such as Starcraft 2 run on Mac, so I'd probably go to that before going back to Windows.

bryan.sailer
October 2nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
I had completely converted my home network to Linux but my wife had trouble with her IPOD. It would not mount on her laptop. So her laptop is the only windows machine in my home. Other then that I love Linux it has taken me back to when I first started with computers and programming. The only issue I still need to work around is how to file my taxes electronicly using Linux. I have been a turbo tax user for years but they do not make a version for Linux that I know of yet.

:guitar:
Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop and Server

njhomeowner
October 2nd, 2010, 09:26 PM
Hi,

You can run windows xp inside a virtual machine (do a google for virtualbox). It will run OK on an older machine (I've run it on a celeron with 1G of ram) but if you run it on a powerhouse of a machine XP actually runs better than native!

Running xp inside a virtual machine will allow you to run Turbo-Tax, as well as itunes. Virtualbox will pass usb devices into it so I use that for my Ipod and itunes.

Try it out. I used to be like you and keep a windows machine just for odd jobs but now I dont even need that anymore.

Good luck

thebarisaxkid
October 2nd, 2010, 09:40 PM
i still do administrate some window boxes but for my personal use, i only use linux-systems. i feel somehow very insecure (viruses, spyware ...) and uncomfortable if i am in front of a windows-box. (not so) strange, eh? i have the constant feeling that the windows-boxes will crash and get infected anytime. i am much more relaxed behind my linux-boxes... since two and a half years now. :D

I have that same exact feeling. I only use Windows for certain programs, yet I feel like a virus is going to somehow jump into my PC.

disastrophe
October 3rd, 2010, 12:32 AM
I went to 100% Linux about a week after I tried Ubuntu. Not because of paranoia or anything. Hell, I've kept original ******* installs viable for three and four years at a time without a single piece of malware ever getting on board. But I grew very bored and annoyed and I just like the way Linux runs and the freedom of choice it gives. It's also learning something new, fun and exciting. Another factor was that I have some philosophical issues with m$ (that don't warrant discussion here.) Suffice to say, I was doing handsprings when I formatted my ******* partition.

nlsthzn
October 5th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Ubuntu 10.04 on both my desktop and laptop and the Netbook remix 10.04 on my netbook :D

(Wife still clinging to Windows, but thats her choice I guess...)

TheSiberian
October 5th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Hello all, my first post...

I have been using Linux Mint as my first step into Linux since Nov 2009, nice & easy for a first time user, easy for the Mrs, and the kids love playing Super Tux and Tux Paint. Had dual boot for about 3 months, then wiped Vista from the laptop. using 64bit edition.

I recently purchased a Netbook, so the day I bought it, I wiped Windows Starter & installed Ubuntu Netbook edition.

Liking it so far, some *minor* probs I need to post about in the help section (after searching for similar questions already posted of course!)

phen
October 5th, 2010, 05:02 PM
linux since 1996!

completely switched when I stopped gaming, that was 2005...

I have a virtual windows XP on my virtualbox as backup, though. But I need it only twice a year for private reasons, more often for work stuff (docx etc)

A4Skyhawk
October 5th, 2010, 08:56 PM
In the summer of '09, my daughter told me that her Windows laptop was booting up an all blue screen and that she couldn't access anything. From my computer, I Googled her problem and learned about the BSOD - blue screen of death - and how to download a startup disk of Ubuntu which would allow access to her hard drive. I spent some time learning about the open source community and Ubuntu specifically, and then decided to install it on my PC as well.
Now, the only thing that I use in the Windows partition of my computer is Excel because I have some programs that I have written using VBA and I haven't been able to get them to work from OOo.

vivek40
October 6th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I never Knew of Ubuntu till the day when my windows crashed , tired of handling all the viruses and trojans etc etc. I googled around and found Ubuntu, installed it , wiping off windows and since then have not looked back.
The only issue has been my new netbook Lenovo 10 3t for which Ubuntu does not look ready yet. Am still using Win7 on it. Waiting for the day when Ubuntu supports touch screen tablet pcs out of the box.

disastrophe
October 6th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Just wanted to add something here. The main reasons why Linux systems are less likely to become infected or pwned are; because in the past not enough machines ran it to make it a target of interest, the default permissions make it more difficult, and in the past, the average competency of Linux users was fairly high.

As these numbers change, certain popular distros will get hit more and more. There are no silver bullets. Good internet hygiene and vigilence are always called for. And never, never underestimate black hats. Many are likely very, very competent Linux users themselves and they know exactly what to do.
Linux is more resistent than windows but it is far from bulletproof.