PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

venkidwaraka
June 11th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I also would like to switch completely to Ubuntu. But unfortunately the games don't run so well in Ubuntu even though we use wine. We cannot blame wine also since it is still in its development phase. Let it get completed first of all and then we will make a mass migration to make this wonderful thing an amazing success.

Thanks,
Venk!:guitar:

jakkid
June 11th, 2010, 08:19 AM
I would love to use only Linux, but cannot get audio to work, or wireless to work, and still acts unpredictably. So unfortunately I have to continue to use my Mac for its stability and functionality, but await the day when some of these problems are ironed out.

stuartcnz
June 12th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I would love to use only Linux, but cannot get audio to work, or wireless to work, and still acts unpredictably. So unfortunately I have to continue to use my Mac for its stability and functionality, but await the day when some of these problems are ironed out.

I have gone from doing all of my audio on Mac to doing it all on Ubuntu. Audio does work well on Ubuntu, but can take some time to get figured out and configured initially. Mostly I am using Ardour and Jack for audio and have started using non DAW as well. Both are good, though Ardour is much more mature than non DAW from my perspective.

jperez
June 12th, 2010, 05:13 AM
It's been a long time since I last posted here and despite my outdated sig, I've fully converted now. Using Ubuntu on both my (mostly working) PC and my laptop. My tablet is a linux machine since day 1 (Maemo) so yeah. I'm done with Windows.

Jesse~

Timmer1240
June 12th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Ive pretty much switched I luv Ubuntu first Os Ive really been in luv with Karmic Koala it runs fast never has to be rebooted runs 24 7 without trouble Im really Luvin the Karmic!Goddamnit its cool and Good!

murderslastcrow
June 12th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Hey jakkid, you're saying that stuff won't work well on your specific computer? What kind is it? It's really too bad you're having those issues.

And about the gaming on Wine- sure it's not perfect, yet. I seem to be able to get all my games working with it, but I guess I'm just lucky? (I have a huge collection) Wine seems to be getting really close these days- it might not be more than 5 years before it's perfect and people have no good reason not to switch, besides not knowing how.

I think we should support companies like Valve in porting their games and stuff, since they're definitely paying more attention. I have a feeling the majority of new users in those markets would be from broadened official support, rather than Wine improvements.

thx11381974
June 12th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I'd love to make the full conversion if only the tax programs would work with wine or something...

Just stop paying taxes it worked for me

limestone
June 12th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I don't ever sit on a computer that runs windows anymore.. I have this bad experience of windows that it's always crashing on me and it last time it took me 17 hours to update the system after new install and I'm not kidding guys I throw that computer out of my window. And I now promised myself never use a computer running Windows again...

PaulW2U
June 13th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Updating a previous post in this thread - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9382658#post9382658 - I can now report that I have switched to Linux for everything that I do on this ageing Dell PC. XP has been removed and the entire hard drive devoted to Linux. Ubuntu is certainly running faster than XP did and of course there's no anti-virus software to slow things down. I can see other PCs on my home network and video/audio applications work just great.

Just need to sort out my printer driver and a replacement for Microsoft Money and I'll have switched.

rizzeh
June 13th, 2010, 12:59 PM
My home media/torrent server has headless ubuntu 10.04, 36 out 256Mb of ram used :D
Desktop is Ubuntu 10.04/WinXP, girlfriend's laptop is Mint9/WinXP.
Last week took down samba server - no need anymore, woohoo! rsync and ssh is all i need

kingrobdun
June 13th, 2010, 01:24 PM
For a while I've been using Linux on and off, now I might make a permanent switch. Only thing thats holding me back from a permanent switch is gaming on windows. Today I'm trying a permanent switch but I doubt that will last for long, unless I find some fun/addictive multi player fps thats compatible with Linux.

completely new
June 13th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I completely switched to ubuntu because xp sp2 and 3 have a conflict with my hdd. However, in the past few months I got disappointed with ubuntu because NOTHING WORKS! I'm not kidding, whatever I try to do doesn't work or takes me a whole day to get it working. All the programs I tried are glitchy and there's something wrong with them. The only reason I'm still using it is because I don't want to revert to xp sp1 and don't want to buy a new hdd.

uRock
June 13th, 2010, 07:34 PM
You can always start threads to ask for help with finding the program that will do what you want. I haven't had any "glitchy" programs other than the bug with adjusting the volume within music players causing the player to crash.

I have never heard of XP having issues with a hard drive. Almost every business I go to has XP and no problems with hardware.

lordyosch
June 13th, 2010, 08:31 PM
As of 10.04 the only windows install I have is a Vbox on this desktop (along with virtual Mint, Mandriva, FreeBSD and Solaris -mostly just cos I can).

Previously I had to suffer WXP and its 3+ minute boot on a laptop but now I've got it sorted it is Ubuntu only. This desktop was built and bought Ubuntu.

So, I am a free man!

cooltd825
June 13th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I actually use Ubuntu 90% of the time. I'm actually more used to the Gnome look and feel. Aero and *especially* the Aqua theme OS X uses just look... ugly. I don't use any Windows-specific programs, so the only reason why I ever bother to wait 3x longer to boot into Windows 7 is for nostalgia and giving tech support to other people.

jerrylamos
June 13th, 2010, 10:54 PM
100% use of ubuntu once flashplayer started playing most videos and with tv-viewer I can see and record TV.

Actually, I still do a very little bit of banking work on one of my wife's computers.

I've been on pc's at work (now retired) and home since 1982.

I'm trying Lubuntu here since Maverick Meerkat seems sluggish on this IBM Thinkpad R31 (I've got ubuntu on my other three test machines as well).

Jerry

shardvexspangler
June 14th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I use linux most of the time, but I haven't switched, do to very useful tools that only Windows has. If I find a substitute, I will completely switch:

1. Visual Studio
2. System Restore
3. Cain & Abel

I use linux most of the time anyway though...

ken631
June 14th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I mean totally, no microsoft or windows--unless you use pine for some apps--anything on your computer. Totally just a linux pc?

ken631
June 14th, 2010, 08:08 PM
oops I meant wine.

wojox
June 14th, 2010, 08:09 PM
One year one month here. :p

I still have to go fix others Windows machines though.

bjacks
June 14th, 2010, 08:11 PM
6 mos. No Windows, no Apple. No regrets or problems.:p

bazzal1941
June 14th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Seven processors in the house and not a single windows program amongst them. Been like this for over three years.

NCLI
June 14th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Many (http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6894).

Personally, I still use Windows for games. Hopefully that will no longer be necessary in the future.

Rubi1200
June 14th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Since March 22nd, 2010; no Windows, no Wine, pure Ubuntu on my Fujitsu-Siemens laptop.

Unfortunately at work I am forced to use Windows; oh well, makes running home to Ubuntu even more pleasurable!

:-)

Ravernomina
June 14th, 2010, 08:13 PM
1 year of a House Without Using Windows. Been using a Mix of Linux and Mac OS X :D.... but right now even my Mac is running Linux only hehe :D

sanderd17
June 14th, 2010, 08:14 PM
yup, no wine, no dual boot, only a broken Vista in virtualbox, but that was more an experiment to test VB and the broken vista is there for a about 6 months and I've never tried to repair it.

So I guess you can say I'm 10 months windows free.

Zill
June 14th, 2010, 08:15 PM
No Microsoft or Windows here since 2005. Freedom is wonderful. :-)

jmszr
June 14th, 2010, 08:15 PM
ken631,

There are a lot of Ubuntu only users: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6894

2+ years for me.

philinux
June 14th, 2010, 08:21 PM
3 years. My previous OS was windows ME :shock:

Moved to Cafe.

RiceMonster
June 14th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I used Linux only for about 6 months, but later I needed to use windows for a few things for college. Now with Windows 7, I use Windows about the same amount as Linux.

donkyhotay
June 14th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Been running nothing but linux for about 3-4 years now on all my home systems.

Cam42
June 14th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I haven't had windows on my primary machine for a long time. Still have XP on an old backup laptop.

scouser73
June 14th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Not used Windows since March 2008, never used wine.

halitech
June 14th, 2010, 08:33 PM
My main system has been Linux only (Ubuntu and then Debian) for almost 4 years. I have a new netbook that still has XP on it but I normally boot from a thumbdrive to run Ubuntu on it just cause I'm lazy and haven't gotten around to installing Ubuntu on it yet as I hardly use it so installing Linux hasn't been a priority yet.

ubunterooster
June 14th, 2010, 08:36 PM
dual-booting since aug. 2008. Dumped Widows when we got high-speed internet to replace AOL

limestone
June 14th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I never ever again sits down with a windows-computer.. Last time a did a fresh windows install it took me 17hours to install all updates and a literally through that computer out of my window.

scialen
June 14th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I have recently. I switched to ubuntu because I just had enough of Windows, quite simply. It wasn't malice (i.e. "I HATE YOU WINDOWS") no not like that. I just... grew to love Linux.

DoubleClicker
June 14th, 2010, 08:44 PM
The only time I've ever used a Microsoft product, is when working on someone else's computer. I've been a Mac user since 1984, and an Ubuntu user since 2005.

Dustin2128
June 14th, 2010, 08:48 PM
free as in freedom for 4 years now! slackware 13.1 with no proprietary software of any kind installed for the past 2 weeks and I'm loving it.

Frogs Hair
June 14th, 2010, 08:50 PM
This would only be possible at home . As it is , I need Windows for school and my copy of W7 is only good for one computer . I have enough memory and disk space so I plan to use W7 . It costs $107.00 for OEM copy of W7 home premium and I see no reason to throw it away. My next build will be " Linux only " if possible.

QIII
June 14th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Many years ago, I got an air conditioner and have had no need to open Windows.

Wife still uses it.

Admittedly, I run it in a virtual machine because I still develop Windows apps. I like money. Money is good.

samalex
June 14th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I've been 100% Windows free on my personal systems since 2001, except for Windows XP via VirtualBox on my laptop for work which is unavoidable.

Sam

Tempshed
June 14th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I've totally broken away from Windows XP for the last few months due to not having a clue how Grub2 works and therefore am unable to dual boot. It's no big problem though, I can do everything I need to do on Ubuntu. It's handy to have Windows for the few programs that don't work in Wine. I have absolutely no intention of getting Windows 7 at £180 a pop. Even if it was £18 I'd rather stick with Ubuntu.

quadproc
June 14th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I mean totally, no microsoft or windows--unless you use pine for some apps--anything on your computer. Totally just a linux pc?
Absolutely. I did have a bit of a problem doing that though - when I bought this computer I wanted the vendor to check out the hardware to be sure that it was OK before shipping it to me, and the vendor was only able to do that by installing Windows on it. I grudgingly accepted that. So the system that I received did have Windows on it and I am still clearing out the bits and pieces of that. I presently have eliminated all MS file systems except for one NTFS bit, and I am almost ready to zap that. Windows itself is long gone. I do have a Windows CDROM that might make a nice target in a microwave oven.

I have another computer which used to run Windows NT - that was due to my employer using that software for their products so I was stuck with it so long as I was employed there. But later I tried various small Linux implementations and decided to go with Puppy Linux. I had a small celebration when I repartitioned its disk and made it entirely free of Microsoft.

Two previous employers used Sun workstations for their engineering personnel. That was a comfortable, convenient, and pleasant environment. When I first tried Ubuntu I felt right at home and I never looked back.

quadproc

amadeus266
June 14th, 2010, 08:54 PM
The only windows on my machine are from a remote desktop session. On ubuntu since 6.04 and SuSe for 2 years before that. I am a windows admin so I still need to keep my skills up.

squilookle
June 14th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I did go completely Microsoft free for about 2-3 years a while back.

It was great, I enjoyed it. However, I've recently gone back to Windows (but onto W7 for the first time) because I bought a new laptop, it was pre loaded and, after giving it a fair chance, I found I quite liked it.

NightwishFan
June 14th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I do not use nor recommend Windows, nor have since late 2007. I also do not bash it as that is rude and childish. :) I shopped around for a distro to stick with these last few years and decided recently to stick with Ubuntu for real. They really do make it easy for both beginners and picky folk like me. (They have a kernel optimized for different uses right in the repos. :D) I do not mind the mainstreaming of it. Though it will probably be a bit less fun to use since I will probably be 'just another Ubuntu user' even more so than I am now.

At any rate, I am not a FOSS purist, but I tend to use it over all other available tools, even better ones. I think freedom trumps functionality, and generally you get both anyway. If I had work or school I would not let myself be tied to Windows, though I do not think any less of someone who does. It is just a preference or even a requirement for their lifestyle.

Joe of loath
June 14th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I use Linux on all my boxes, save a couple of dual boot machines for gaming (and ONLY gaming!). One box hadn't been booted in so long, and I'd changed so much hardware that the 'windows genuine advantage' decided it was a different computer.

McRat
June 14th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I use whatever gets the job done. No O/S religion here.

I am replacing machines with Linux as I retire them, which might take 10 years.

Simply because Linux is working for our needs on the machines that have been switched over.

linux-hack
June 14th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I prefer linux but I have a mac and sometimes linux is not so good on macs.. I have a lot of problems with the heat and the power management on the mac with ubuntu.. but i use both of them ... and have a windows Pc for games but for my brother ..

ranch hand
June 14th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I have not had any MS products in the house since 08. I have never used Mac.

I see no need for it at all. We use it for home use and out business too.

I also use it in my job for livestock record keeping.

The only MS I ever see is in the Dreaded Mother In Laws house where I try to keep here Vista box running. If it collapses under its own weight it is no biggy as I installed Ubuntu on it as a dual boot and all files are backed up to it. It is interesting that with all the same files and both running FF and thunderbird that the size of the Ubauntu install is 10% of the MS install. That is not counting the MS boot or recovery partitions.

NightwishFan
June 15th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I like your dedication RanchHand running a business on open source.

ranch hand
June 15th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I like your dedication RanchHand running a business on open source.
All the data base and accounting programs are there. It is really pretty straight forward.

Problems would come in if we had to network with MS, mainly because I do not trust the connection with that huge security hole.

The biggest challenge is the livestock record keeping where I have to create my own system with spread sheets. I am not real good at it but I am getting better. Connecting data from 2 or three sheets on another sheet is tough for me to get all the time. I just really do not know what I am doing, the functionality is there.

If I were using MS there are (expensive) some fair, good and great programs out there but I have yet to find one for Linux.

ubeautu
June 16th, 2010, 08:15 AM
In the past I bought into the idea (literally) that Windows was all that really worked on a PC. I never understood or appreciated what Linux had to offer till a friend encouraged me to try it with a Wubi install. After a couple of weeks of that, I set up a dual boot but found myself using Ubuntu exclusively as I was so happy with it; being constantly surprised with just how well thought through it is in every area.

I teach at a small private school in Australia. I was so impressed with Ubuntu, I pushed for my school to install it in our computer lab. We now use Ubuntu 10.04 exclusivley for all general teaching and learning, graphic design classes, music classes, etc. We have a couple of computers with a dual boot of Windows 7 but it never gets used.

This week I said goodbye to my old vista installation and formated the partition for file storage (deleting hundreds of dollars of software that I perceive as redundant).

Really enjoying Ubuntu! Speed, power and solid rock!

:guitar:

reneraymond2001
June 16th, 2010, 08:48 PM
i do a duel boot windows is only good for gaming for me

Rey117
June 16th, 2010, 09:46 PM
i do a duel boot windows is only good for gaming for me

I used to do the same till my ******* died on me now I have B|T 4 and Ubuntu on my laptop.

ubunterooster
June 16th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I used to do the same till my ******* died on me now I have B|T 4 and Ubuntu on my laptop.
B|T 4? What's that?

Rey117
June 16th, 2010, 10:24 PM
B|T 4? What's that?
Back|Track 4 Final.:p

ranch hand
June 16th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I always wondered which one would die if you let them duel. Now we know. Thanks.

Rey117
June 16th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I always wondered which one would die if you let them duel. Now we know. Thanks.

Your welcome. It was gruesome...there was broken glass everywhere...lol

Azatos
June 16th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I have just two weeks ago though.

uRock
June 17th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Your welcome. It was gruesome...there was broken glass everywhere...lol
Did the BT4 install go very well? I have run the LiveCD a few times but never installed.

joncrndl
June 17th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Have you looked at lvm for managing the 240GB array? The partition manager in OpenSuSE 11.2 is much easier to work with for managing lvm.

czig49
June 17th, 2010, 09:53 AM
switched completely last month, probably not wise to go at it as all or nothing. but im not gonna ever see one of them demon fatal error blue screens from windows again.. ps thanks to all who support me on the superduper beginner help forums. they are making this roadcrossing work. just reading those forums is helping me so much

OCEAN11
June 17th, 2010, 04:35 PM
To some comments on keeping XP around because of having to use iTunes in XP, look at this, http://www.playonlinux.com/en/

It's called Play on Linux, and iTunes works perfectly, also with 10.04 release, iTunes has support, I'm not sure which program, but when you hook-up your i-pod etc, one of the pre-installed players will work perfectly with i-pod devices, but it's not exactly iTunes, but very close.

Rey117
June 17th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Did the BT4 install go very well? I have run the LiveCD a few times but never installed.

It has been working pretty good so far I don't like running it root though and kde is different but it is very very useful. :p:p

Zerocool Djx
June 17th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I tried to go soly on Ubuntu,.. but none of my programs would work and wine just made my head implode. I really don't see the point in dual booting, but to each there own. When wine or the OS system it's self works flawlessly with windows programs then I'll switch, till then prolly won't us Ubuntu much, sigh... I like it a lot though.. It's like a Ferrari in a glass case with the wheels missing... Yea it will move and you could get aftermarket wheels but will they hold up and for how long?

I NEED reliability... 100% flawless.... No head aches,.. other wise I would have done the switch already...

Dragonbite
June 17th, 2010, 06:03 PM
To some comments on keeping XP around because of having to use iTunes in XP, look at this, http://www.playonlinux.com/en/

It's called Play on Linux, and iTunes works perfectly, also with 10.04 release, iTunes has support, I'm not sure which program, but when you hook-up your i-pod etc, one of the pre-installed players will work perfectly with i-pod devices, but it's not exactly iTunes, but very close.

The latest Banshee and Rythmbox are supposed to provide access to the file and music libraries of the iPod Touch and iPhones when plugged in. It does not, however, provide for apps and updates.

Or so I've heard.

msambenny
June 17th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I use Ubuntu most of the time coz i hate windows,especially after vista damaged my graphics card...windows is still on my comp only because the softwares used in my college are windows based and you don't get as good games for Linux as you get for windows but Linux is the center for gaining more knowledge about how your comp actually works.

meoconvn38
June 17th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Hi,

I am using ubuntu for 3 months :D now I am completely using ubuntu :d what I still confuse ^^( some time I borrow my friends PC for make an office file like ppt ) I think that Microsoft office still the best ^^

nmyrick
June 17th, 2010, 08:15 PM
meoconvin38,

If you want to run Microsoft Office on Ubuntu, you need to get CrossOver Linux (and of course, a copy of Microsoft Office). The CrossOver Linux is not free, but it is inexpensive, and works really well for running Microsoft Office on Ubuntu.

The copy of Microsoft Office, however, like all Microsoft Products, is very expensive!:guitar:

hsweet
June 17th, 2010, 09:12 PM
At home, 100%, or maybe 99.9% I think I have wine in here somewhere....At work a bit less, maybe 60% linux this year.

continuous
June 18th, 2010, 01:41 AM
I switched many years ago - before XP became half reliable (SP2), but then again I'm not a gamer. I guess you need to look at what your interest in computers really is; is it the desire to play with the computer, or play on the computer?

My interest in using Linux is driven by several things:-
1/ I want something reliable & secure - I don't need AV (I use it to protect my windows friends) and Spyware software, don't need to have to pay for software, I don't need BSOD's and I certainly have no respect for the disgusting proprietary model that really doesn't allow me to be valued part of the community. (Hence I don't touch Macs either).
2/ I like to tinker, and Linux affords that without the need to sign non-disclosure agreements, limitations or artificial hurdles.
3/ I believe as a species, it is time we matured beyond money grubbing - unleashed our creative capability and contributed to society without impediment and in-turn are supported by society....the open source approach seems to do this (in a narrow, software only sense) - not perfectly, but pretty damn well. Windows and Mac are just more of the same old "dog eat dog" model.

You can possibly get most games intended for windows running on Linux, but many will take time and effort to get going successfully, whether you use wine or a Linux game engine...if you love the thrill of the chase, Linux and open-source is a fertile playing ground. If you want to play games, just use Windows.

ranch hand
June 18th, 2010, 02:03 AM
I switched many years ago - before XP became half reliable (SP2), but then again I'm not a gamer. I guess you need to look at what your interest in computers really is; is it the desire to play with the computer, or play on the computer?

My interest in using Linux is driven by several things:-
1/ I want something reliable & secure - I don't need AV (I use it to protect my windows friends) and Spyware software, don't need to have to pay for software, I don't need BSOD's and I certainly have no respect for the disgusting proprietary model that really doesn't allow me to be valued part of the community. (Hence I don't touch Macs either).
2/ I like to tinker, and Linux affords that without the need to sign non-disclosure agreements, limitations or artificial hurdles.
3/ I believe as a species, it is time we matured beyond money grubbing - unleashed our creative capability and contributed to society without impediment and in-turn are supported by society....the open source approach seems to do this (in a narrow, software only sense) - not perfectly, but pretty damn well. Windows and Mac are just more of the same old "dog eat dog" model.

You can possibly get most games intended for windows running on Linux, but many will take time and effort to get going successfully, whether you use wine or a Linux game engine...if you love the thrill of the chase, Linux and open-source is a fertile playing ground. If you want to play games, just use Windows.
I thought I was the only one. I play games with my box.

I am on 10.10-testing right now. I have a lot of disk space and so can use this as a production OS (I do NOT recommend this). I do have triple redundancy and a couple "throw away" installs to test upgrades on before perpetrating them on my "real" installs.

Breakage still happens. That is the FUN part of it.

I can find no use for MS products unless you have a low blood pressure problem.

NightwishFan
June 18th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I always test new releases in a virtual machine.

ranch hand
June 18th, 2010, 02:28 AM
I always test new releases in a virtual machine.
Oh come on, only people with good sense do anything like that. I am sure that folks with good sense have enough brains not to fool with unstable OS' in the first place.

If you are going to be goofy you may as well go whole hog.

NightwishFan
June 18th, 2010, 02:53 AM
;) I see. Normally I go for the middle ground, Debian Testing. New enough for my laptop, but tested enough not much goes wrong that you do not know about. Lately I have been back on Ubuntu though. I like both, I will have to decide permanently sometime.

ubunterooster
June 18th, 2010, 03:02 AM
;) I see. Normally I go for the middle ground, Debian Testing. New enough for my laptop, but tested enough not much goes wrong that you do not know about. Lately I have been back on Ubuntu though. I like both, I will have to decide permanently sometime.
Decide? I'm setting up a deca-boot

chihwahli
June 18th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Well my school latop will be Xubuntu, learning securing it, installing all programs I need.
Preparing for school.

Have not touched my gaming pc much the last weeks....that's one thing windows good at..
playing games...

The only thing linux needs to do is fix software installs...it's could be a real pain to install something. But linux runs really fast and uses just little memory and stable... my xubuntu uses about 800K of memory, I have 4GB on my 32 bit machine, using pae kernel. Running mysql, apache on the background... Another benefit of linux...you can learn anything you like, software is free, while microsoft will cost you a lot of money.
Out of reach of people who like to learn any software..

Both windows and linux have their things to improve....

So far..more then satisfied with linux

vaustvest
June 18th, 2010, 02:45 PM
i have completely switched to linux, and do farmville all day.
but im still a gamer at heart too, so i have a ps3 for that, and anticipating gran turismo 5 release in november, my favorite game that even windows could only dream of.

arvindmohansk
June 18th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I've completed switched to Linux and i've started learning my programming in ubuntu..
I am really excited. But i have a problem and hoping that someone here could help me with that.

I have an Hi-definition TV and an ACER laptop. I would love to watch my movies in the TV by connecting from my laptop using a VGA cable. This setup use to work in VISTA by using the toggle key in the laptop. But i am unable to do the same in ubuntu. Can someone give me a solution for this.

Thanks in advance.. :)

ubunterooster
June 18th, 2010, 02:50 PM
go to System>preferences>Monitor. Click Detect Monitors

Jakegissing
June 18th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I've been a Windows use for many years. I had enough of Windows 7.

I've been using Ubuntu for years too but I could never switch because of the games I played. But I've removed Windows completely from my laptop and now use Ubuntu full time and no longer play those games (Going to look into some for Ubuntu).

Chame_Wizard
June 18th, 2010, 04:32 PM
3,5 years ago(January 2007).:lolflag:

5.10 and 6.06(both 1st time to try)
7.04 Feisty Fawn(64 bit)
7.10 Gutsy Gibbon(64bit)
8.10 Intruded Ibex(64 bit)
9.10 Karmic Koala(32 bit)

and soon 10.04 Lucid Lynx LTS(64 bit).:lolflag:

Robin_216
June 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I just removed my Windows 7 partition this morning, it wasn“t booting anymore anyway. I only run windows in vritual box now.
Windows 7 still shows up in GRUB bootloader though, anybody know how i can update this?

ubunterooster
June 18th, 2010, 05:34 PM
sudo update grub

Dragonbite
June 18th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Are there any easy resources to take a Windows installation and clone it into a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox? VMWare? KVM? doesn't matter) to run in Linux?

ubunterooster
June 18th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Are there any easy resources to take a Windows installation and clone it into a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox? VMWare? KVM? doesn't matter) to run in Linux?
remastersys?

RiceMonster
June 18th, 2010, 06:03 PM
remastersys?

Remastersys only work with Debian and Ubuntu

ubunterooster
June 18th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Make a space for it in a VM. copy it with Clonezilla, start clonezilla in the VM?

ankit singh
June 18th, 2010, 06:26 PM
August 2008-I bought my first pc preloaded with windowsXP2
December2008-removed windows and started using opensolaris
May2009-switch to centos
June2009-sabyon
July2009-dualbooted windowsxp2(missed games) and ran opensuse
September2009-Mandriva(windows removed)
December2009-Triple boot ubuntu,fedora,windows7
February2010-Mint8
May2010-ubuntu ultimate edition and will stick to this from now.

and guess what
now i m planning to get my own linux running:guitar:

w0Rm210
June 18th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Hey man look. You can still game on ubuntu with wine i play combat arms urban terror gta vice city gta san andreas gta 3 and a lot more (cant remember all the names atm) im stupid when it comes to basic things on windows (like antivirus) and backing my system up so when windows went stupid on me i said forget microsoft and went open source (again) and it was the best decision i ever made.

JoelKrause
June 19th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I've completely switched. I will never use Windows again (Apart from at school, where I don't have a choice, unless I take my laptop..)

thmch1
June 20th, 2010, 01:50 AM
i have xp because of an ati card that doesnt do quite as well in ubuntu. linux for everything else, even the printer/scanner.
now i laugh at people who talk about getting viruses.

Dlambert
June 20th, 2010, 05:29 AM
I grew sick of windows and hackintosh so i explored and discovered ubuntu. i play wow on ubuntu 10.04

shelbydz
June 21st, 2010, 01:17 AM
i absolutely love Ubuntu/Linux. I completely dumped Windows about 10 years ago. Recently removed XP from my wife's laptop and put Ubuntu on it. She LOVES it. It's not slow, doesn't bog down and randomly crash on her any more, don't have to remember to update any pesky virus definitions.

When McAfee went down a few months ago, I didn't worry about my home PCs, because they were Linux.

I'm a developer by day; C# ( I know I know). But now with Mono in the works, I'm slowly trying to convince my boss that we can load Ubuntu and run Mono there.

I try to tell people, once you switch, you WILL love it. Sure there are some small quirks, but the advantages of a stable OS more than make up for the one time you may have to crack open a terminal.

My sister recently switched (out of necessity). She couldn't stand the way that Windows kept force quitting on her or keeping her from printing out important documents. Ubuntu does everything she needs without any problems.

Switch, people, switch. You won't regret it.

:p

nmyrick
June 21st, 2010, 02:51 AM
I talked my sister in to switching to Ubuntu, and she absolutely loves it! She has an old laptop that had Windows 2000, and it was running really slow and crashing all the time! Once we put Ubuntu 9.10 on there, it has been like a brand new machine! Running much faster and hasn't crashed once since the install (5 months)!:guitar:

Segofam
June 21st, 2010, 07:55 AM
Ubuntu is very good, and I would switch to it and use it solely, but I cannot attach pictures to an email and have them shrunk to a smaller size. Being that I send multiple pictures on a near daily basis, I find that to be a very important tool.
There are numerous ways of shrinking photo's according to the forums, but I am a newbie, and I cannot for the life-of-me get them to shrink in any of the programs provided.
If Evolution could be given this function or choice of making pictures smaller, I would be finished with Microsoft.
Currently I am going through some of the online courses for Linux, but until I get my head around the command line, and the installation programs, I will continue to use Microsoft OS as a backup for sending shrunk pictures via email.
I hope this forum goes on for years more ):P
Kind regards,
Scott

oneindelijk
June 21st, 2010, 08:03 AM
I'm using windows again since months for Ableton, Premiere Pro and Adobe Audition...
For everything else I use Ubuntu (for managing and troubleshooting Microsoft Networks, Servers and Desktop computers it is the best !!)

Some features seem to be a lot more user-friendly than in Windows, but the same can be said about some features of windows. When I install Ubuntu for other people I find I have a lot of after-support (or maybe they're just too lazy to learn a new OS :-p )

I recently tried to make a switch to FreeBSD, but after a painful partly installation, the network cards didn't work so, I gave up and decided too try later, when my hardware is hopefully better supported.

Tombgeek
June 21st, 2010, 08:53 AM
I have not completely switched. I still dual boot Ubuntu and Windows XP
I almost never go into Windows, only if I need to use Delphi 7 (for school), Office 2007 (for school) or play a game (which I hardly do. I neither have the time, nor the patience. Prince of Persia is difficult man, don't judge me :) ).
I use Ubuntu for everything else: music, videos, internet, word processing, etc.

mainerror
June 21st, 2010, 09:36 AM
Also not completely. I use it for work, developing for Android and also private for all-day stuff. The only exception is my home computer which runs in dual boot. Mainly because I'm involved in game development in my spare time which only runs on Windows.

coober85
June 21st, 2010, 11:22 AM
ipod touch (1g at least) now works for linux!!!! rhythm box now syncs with ipod touch and I'm assuming the iphone to... now I don't have to run windows XP in a virtual box and use that crappy itunes!

oh yeah I use LM9

Dragonbite
June 21st, 2010, 02:02 PM
The computer is a dual-boot with Windows 7, but we don't.

My son, who knows perfectly well it's there, will say he prefers Ubuntu!

Richard Carlson
June 21st, 2010, 02:26 PM
Been using Linux completely for 7 years. Haven't looked back since. Windows is a thing of my distant past. I haven't regret the experience either. For those people that play games with a computer and need Windows I can only say some day they may outgrow this and realize that a computer offers more than just being a stupid gaming console. Enough said. If anyone is offended my apologies.

Rich :)

maxpoweron
June 21st, 2010, 03:03 PM
This past weekend I wiped out my Sager NP8690 notebook which used to dual boot between Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7. The only thing I used Windows for was watching Blu-Ray movies, Office documents, and providing support for friends and family that still run Windows.

On my new rebuild, I installed VirtualBox 3.2.4 so I can run Windows 7, Vist SP2 (which seems to work well on my VM), and Windows XP SP3. Although I lost the ability to play Blu-Ray movies, everything else works fine. I really don't play games on my PC anymore (which might change when Diablo 3 comes out).

If it wasn't for Word and the specifics of document layouts, I would only use the VM listed above to help out friends and family when needed.

Dragonbite
June 21st, 2010, 03:49 PM
If it wasn't for Word and the specifics of document layouts, I would only use the VM listed above to help out friends and family when needed.

In time, maybe the online Office 2010 will be able to handle that?

Retrograde77
June 21st, 2010, 05:46 PM
Would love to be able to switch completely, but am a big into simracing and need windows 7 for iRacing / Liveforspeed / rFactor.

Mr James
June 22nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
I completely switched in order to learn and not agree to stuff I don't agree with :p. I like both Windows and Linux and have seen pros and cons in both.

Zaery
June 22nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
I completely switched, and I'm a gamer. I play Eve!

Azatos
June 22nd, 2010, 10:20 PM
I switched my laptop, I don't feel like switching my desktop since I almost never use it anyways.

ranch hand
June 23rd, 2010, 02:40 AM
I switched my laptop, I don't feel like switching my desktop since I almost never use it anyways.
You might use it more if it had a decent OS on board.

slooksterpsv
June 23rd, 2010, 02:57 AM
Not yet, the only reason why I haven't, is NetFlix. Which I don't really watch, my niece does. So I dunno, I still have to go into Windows for this or for that, but overall Linux.

TRoe
June 23rd, 2010, 04:11 AM
I'm a long-time Windows user but I've always played around with Linux (in a strictly platonic manner I assure you...).

Took the plunge and divorced myself from Windows this year and I don't regret it!

I'm somewhat of a gamer, and despite the switch I've managed to get my favorite games working perfectly in Linux thanks to Wine (Diablo, Morrowind, Oblivion).

sprocket10
June 23rd, 2010, 04:31 PM
I'm seriously tempted to move to all-Ubuntu :???: I installed Lynx a month or so ago during finals and tried to dual boot with win7, but something happened with the windows bootloader and I had to go to the university IT dept. and get them to fix it for me. Something about the GRUB loader overwriting the windows one, so windows freaked out and wouldn't startup period. :confused:

So, I'm keeping a list of programs that I cannot run natively on linux:

- StarCraft 2
- Age of Empires 3
- AnyDVD + CloneDVD

I do have a cheap, student win7 license, so I was thinking about doing a virtual machine, but I'm really into StarCraft 2 and my performance would suffer terribly (or so I've heard). Also, I have an iPod and use itunes to sync, but I've heard that amarok or rhythmbox will let me sync, which is good enough for me. I wanna eventually use AnyDVD and maybe ImgBurn to put my movie collection onto a NAS or giant external HD because so many are getting scratched. AnyDVD will probably work in a virtual machine, but not sc2 well.

I'm probably out of luck hoping those programs get native linux support :cry: I would like to try dual booting again if I can get win7 to cooperate.

uRock
June 23rd, 2010, 05:07 PM
Not yet, the only reason why I haven't, is NetFlix. Which I don't really watch, my niece does. So I dunno, I still have to go into Windows for this or for that, but overall Linux.
I use Neflix, too. We recently bought a Wii, so I find myself using the PC for Netflix even less. I still keep Windows 7 and XP around for experimental reasons.

nashod
June 23rd, 2010, 06:56 PM
ya I'm a 100% linux user (though i miss playing decent strategy games)

Version Dependency
June 23rd, 2010, 06:58 PM
Started using Ubuntu with 9.10 (dual boot). Completely switched over a couple weeks after 10.04 was released. Got a new PC with Vista on it and spent about 2 hours looking around Vista...then said to my self, "TO HECK WITH THIS!" Wiped out the hard drive and put Lucid on it and never looked back.

I use Ubuntu mainly for web browsing, email, and FTP. I'm not a big gamer so I don't have to mess around with Wine much. But I did install Full Tilt Poker. :D

slooksterpsv
June 23rd, 2010, 10:47 PM
I use Neflix, too. We recently bought a Wii, so I find myself using the PC for Netflix even less. I still keep Windows 7 and XP around for experimental reasons.

We do that too, use the Wii, but I use it on my computer when I wanna watch shows that aren't kid friendly e.g. Tripping the Rift. Otherwise, if my niece was older I'd watch it on the Wii.

nmyrick
June 24th, 2010, 04:35 AM
To Sprocket10,

I have both IMGburn and Clone DVD running on Ubuntu 10.04 with wine. IMGBurn works flawlessly, The Clone DVD user interface is a little flaky, but it does work. I have heard that many Windows games can be played on Ubuntu with CrossOver Linux, but it costs $30.00 a year. Or, you can go to your Ubuntu Software center in your Applications menu and install 'PlayOnLinux' to install Windows games.

I'm seriously tempted to move to all-Ubuntu :???: I installed Lynx a month or so ago during finals and tried to dual boot with win7, but something happened with the windows bootloader and I had to go to the university IT dept. and get them to fix it for me. Something about the GRUB loader overwriting the windows one, so windows freaked out and wouldn't startup period. :confused:

So, I'm keeping a list of programs that I cannot run natively on linux:

- StarCraft 2
- Age of Empires 3
- AnyDVD + CloneDVD

I do have a cheap, student win7 license, so I was thinking about doing a virtual machine, but I'm really into StarCraft 2 and my performance would suffer terribly (or so I've heard). Also, I have an iPod and use itunes to sync, but I've heard that amarok or rhythmbox will let me sync, which is good enough for me. I wanna eventually use AnyDVD and maybe ImgBurn to put my movie collection onto a NAS or giant external HD because so many are getting scratched. AnyDVD will probably work in a virtual machine, but not sc2 well.

I'm probably out of luck hoping those programs get native linux support :cry: I would like to try dual booting again if I can get win7 to cooperate.

Profina.2329
June 24th, 2010, 08:10 AM
hey i really want to switch on linux and i have the set up of it but i dont know how to use it.... can anyone help me???

minhajmsm
June 24th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I've started using UBUNTU 8 to 9 months back...I find it cool.. works fine .. but when it come to gaming ... do find games but not like in XP... but u can tweak n play games.... im playing DF- Black hawk down... IGI, Global Storm... n on.. Photoshop CS3 for my sis... but skype sucks sometimes... no video or call drops (could be the line)... but perfect to use... change at once..

===============================================
ANOTHER AGE MUST BE THE JUDGE(Charles Babbage)
===============================================

nmyrick
June 24th, 2010, 03:31 PM
hey i really want to switch on linux and i have the set up of it but i dont know how to use it.... can anyone help me???

http://ubuntuforums.org/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/report.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/report.php?p=9503455) http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=9503455)
Dear Profina,

Go to https://help.ubuntu.com/ . You can get all of the information on how to use Ubuntu there.

nmyrick:guitar:

Javich
June 24th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I have completely switched to linux for 2 years now.

sadaruwan12
June 24th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I also used to be a hard core gamer but I found that what all it do is eat up our valuable time to discover something new and to learn new things. So I was enlightened by Ubuntu and the grate Linux community so I turned to Linux completely.

wub
June 24th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Lucid has finally gotten me to completely switch. I had been running a dual-boot setup since Jaunty, but still needed to keep XP as a boot-up option because my laptop's BIOS is apparently 'made in Windows', and until Lucid, my laptop would spontaneously boot at midnight unless I remembered to do an extra step >every< time I shut down. This NEVER happened when shutting down from XP.

Once in a while, I would forget. Then I did this dance:
0. Laptop boots at midnight, power not connected, drains battery.
1. On next boot attempt, no mouse in Linux. Could never figure out what
the magic was, but,
2. Boot into XP. Mouse now works.
3. Boot back into Ubuntu. All is well in the garden.

But, something got fixed in Lucid, and my system shuts down like a champ!
So far, everything seems to work. Windows is banished (well, to VBox).

bwallum
June 24th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Where are you so far? Have you downloaded and created a live CD?

KingOfDeath
June 24th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I Switched To OpenSuse On October And I was Bit Confused while i was using suse:-s....
Well First Time i saw ubuntu was lyk 2 years ago i didnt Dislike it that time... plus i didnt know about compiz.
UNTIL WINDOWS XP MADE ME SO MADE ME SO SO MAD INTERNET WASNT WORKING AND THE SYSTEM SAID EVERYTHING IS FINE I FORMATED IT LIKE 4 TIMES SAME DAMN PROBLEM :(.Sorry Caps
Then my father told me about ubuntu
That Its more seecure and no damn sppyware no ****ing viruses.
So yah i switched to ubuntu 8.10 In Christmas 2009.
But Now I Use Ubuntu ue 2.7 Cant wait for 2.8 :D
and linux mint,Lubuntu,Xubuntu,Kubuntu
They all rocks
Linux Ftw windows Users!!!
8 monthes of using lnux No damn Problem came to Me exept in bugs...
Once Agaiin Linux FTW!!! Windows suck ballz **** u bill gates and **** u steve jobs

cjmiller00
June 24th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Linux has revitalized my old laptop here. acer aspire 3004. not a great machine but i bought her in 2006 and was struggling with windows after i maxed out at 2gig of ram and 1.8 ghz brain. Not sure but if new laptop will be windows Ill be changing over to current version. If mac Ill leave it alone. No more windows for me other than wifes PC.

Even my Audrey has QNX on it. the hold out is my wifes box. and its got WUBI on it while my wife is asleep. LOL

lechien73
June 25th, 2010, 09:42 AM
After using Linux on-and-off for about 14 years (starting with installing Slackware mail servers, then Mandrake & Red Hat on the desktop before installing Ubuntu), I completely switched about a year ago. My wife's netbook runs UNE, and my laptop rid itself of the shackles of Vista when Jaunty came along.

Lucid is now my primary operating system, but I can dual boot into Karmic. My sole exposure to Windows is in VirtualBox, because of Apple's bizarre iTunes strategy, but it's rarely booted.:cool:

10dollarNOOBIE
June 25th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Windows is still my main OS because of games, but i love Ubuntu :)

abujenin
June 25th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I've been running Ubuntu on my desktop pc for more than three years; and I'm happy with it. But we don't really use an OS but use the programs that run under it.

But I still use the Windows XP on my laptop for: the negative scanner that doesn't run on Linux, for hard encoding Arabic subtitles on video which programs on Linux render it in the wrong direction (hope they fix it), and for printing with my Canon laser because it stopped working since upgrading to Lucid Lynx and still trying to fix it.

I love open source software, love using them and love their supportive communities.My primary usage is Ubuntu but don't think there will be a time when I will only use it because open source taught me to be open minded, and I still need the other systems.

joeoshawa
June 25th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I am completely windows free. I originally put windows 7 on this computer it got hacked bad and my stuff splattered all over the net. (Thank god I had just installed Ubuntu 9.10 and that is where my pics were.) At that point the only thing i went into windows for was to get pics and such off the cell phone. I upgraded to 10.04 and my wife came in and plugged her phone in to charge and pop all the pics downloaded so i erased windows and my home is windows free. The wife by the way has only ever used Ubuntu and said she would rather swallow broken glass then use windows after attempting to help her mom with windows xp.

StephenWoods69
June 25th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I think you could probably say I have completely moved to Ubuntu as I have completely moved all windows software into the skip :lolflag:

arvindmohansk
June 27th, 2010, 06:57 PM
go to System>preferences>Monitor. Click Detect Monitors Great, that worked. Thanks a lot. It was system > preferences > display and then i had to select detect monitor.:p

Aquatic Fist
June 27th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I accidentally completely switched to Linux. ;)

When I installed Ubuntu I chose a partition to use as swap. But I forgot that on that particular partition the bootloader for Windows 7 was located (since Windows Vista's bootloader was still on the main partition even if it was upgraded to Windows 7). >.> So yeah... And my Windows 7 CD was only an upgrade...

zer010
June 27th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I do believe that I'm now completely free from Windows, as far as I can tell. WINE seems to be working great since the last time I really used it. Ubuntu Lucid is great!

MarilenCorciovei
June 27th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Running only Linux since 8 years and ubuntu since 4 :)

Loctrice
June 28th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Running linux since my first class in college. I started out with no desktop and no internet because i couldn't get the configurations right for my hardware. I have been using linux only for about 6 months. I have a ******* box closed off on my local network that I rdesktop into when i need to do things for work (they use microshaft), but I don't use it other then that. Sometimes it takes me a while, but i try to get games running under wine. I'm happy with lucid, and want to try gentoo. I have no intention of going back to *******, I simply can't stand it. I've been actively recruiting ******* addicts to free themselves using ubuntu. I've gotten about 7 people to at least start dual booting ubuntu this year

bwallum
June 28th, 2010, 06:03 PM
... I've gotten about 7 people to at least start dual booting ubuntu this year,,,way to go!

Redo
June 28th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Uninstalled Win 7 a few days ago. I was in Ubuntu 10.04 nearly all of the time anyhow.

It was time for a fresh Win 7 install anyhow (was starting to have issues), and I wasn't in the mood to do a Vista install, then install my Win 7 upgrade, only to be stuck calling India to validate my cd-key.

BenginM
June 28th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Peace Y'All ,

sense i switched from windows to Ubuntu / Linux for Almost 1 Year now .. I still Dual boot Windows 7 & Ubuntu for one Main reason - to run itunes in Windows 7, cuz i got like 2 iphones , 1 iPad & an ipod nano .. i tried to run itunes V 7.0 & 8.0 via wine and all i get is itunes crush !
with that said , i'm in love with ubuntu :) got me going crazy running Linux and i'm completely free from Windows .. Rest in Peace Micro$oft ! Thahah

Salutation from Saudi Arabia

Peace

mamamia88
June 29th, 2010, 04:00 PM
well i've finally done it. been using ubuntu exclusively on my laptop for like 2 years but could never get it running very well on my netbook. but i just tried mint 9 works great and just wiped windows from the machine

Loctrice
June 29th, 2010, 06:11 PM
,,,way to go!

that's like 1 a month :) . Usually I just make sure they want the stuff, and install flash plugin and stuff like that , which may drive a ******* user insane at first. Then I end up with the copy/paste over mesenger for the terminal (admittedly i'm not good with a gui) and eventually they stop getting ahold of me. Usually I hear they don't like to boot ******* anymore after ubuntu cause of how slow it is. Yay Ubuntu!

I'm a nerd ><

uRock
June 29th, 2010, 09:25 PM
that's like 1 a month :) . Usually I just make sure they want the stuff, and install flash plugin and stuff like that , which may drive a ******* user insane at first. Then I end up with the copy/paste over mesenger for the terminal (admittedly i'm not good with a gui) and eventually they stop getting ahold of me. Usually I hear they don't like to boot ******* anymore after ubuntu cause of how slow it is. Yay Ubuntu!

I'm a nerd ><

Lol, A year ago my mother-in-law brought her son's PC over and said the machine had a bad virus that ruined the install. She said he had lost the restore disks and that I could go ahead and put Ubuntu on it. So, I installed Ubuntu and he never booted the system or even hooked it up. He chucked it in the closet. Said system is now sitting on my desk waiting for Windows XP to be installed on it. The boy is scared to even look at Linux, much less use it. I will set him up with a dual boot for him to use when Windows get another virus.

joeoshawa
July 1st, 2010, 06:08 PM
Peace Y'All ,

sense i switched from windows to Ubuntu / Linux for Almost 1 Year now .. I still Dual boot Windows 7 & Ubuntu for one Main reason - to run itunes in Windows 7, cuz i got like 2 iphones , 1 iPad & an ipod nano .. i tried to run itunes V 7.0 & 8.0 via wine and all i get is itunes crush !
with that said , i'm in love with ubuntu :) got me going crazy running Linux and i'm completely free from Windows .. Rest in Peace Micro$oft ! Thahah

Salutation from Saudi Arabia

Peace

just an fyi there are linux itunes apps i do believe

edgarde
July 1st, 2010, 10:23 PM
Microsoft-free at home since 1998 I think. My last Windows version was 3.11 -- ran lightening-quick on the Pentium. I probably overwrote that with Red Hat.

These days using a Windows machine feels like walking through a scary neighborhood.

I'd like to say if my fridge and toaster had USB ports, I'd put Linux on them; however, my Ogg player is Rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/), which is not Linux, so technically I'm not completely switched to Linux even today.

cgroza
July 1st, 2010, 10:25 PM
Me

slooksterpsv
July 1st, 2010, 11:23 PM
Completely switching this weekend, Windows keeps prompting for updates, and crashing, and all I use is linux lately so yeah.

TexasEdition
July 1st, 2010, 11:58 PM
I've switched and I love me some games. Luckily there are a few decent ones out there for Linux. Also thank god for wine cause with a little tweaking Modern Warfare 2 is now installing.

slysimon
July 2nd, 2010, 03:37 PM
I converted over to linux about 5 months ago. I wanted to make the switch many years ago but was warned off it by believe it or not other linux enthusiast. I was told "Linux is really only for enthusiast... you can't play games... etc, etc. I was so disappointed with windows Vista that instead of paying to upgrade to "7" I downloaded Ubuntu instead. It took me two weeks to upgrade from Wubi to a direct partition and I also converted my old PC over and my laptop. Now I am learning bash scripting and python. I do the tutorials in the Ubuntu forums and I try to learn as much about linux as I can. I think this was because Ubuntu made the transition so easy.

Loctrice
July 2nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
I think they were saying it wrong. I think they meant "linux really makes you an enthusiast. At first you may not be able to play games, etc etc, but after you get comfortable you can do anything you want because linux is da bomb".

Dragonbite
July 2nd, 2010, 04:29 PM
Funny thing about games is when I installed Windows 7 on my computer, it wasn't capable of running Aero. Since it cannot run Aero, the games that are available on it are slower than connecting to Windows XP on a i386 through PCAnywhere or Laplink over a dial-up modem (believe me, it sucks really bad).

marbertone
July 3rd, 2010, 04:55 PM
completely erased Windows on January 2010!
W Ubuntu!
:popcorn:

Theft42
July 3rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
I completely Switched over.. Windows is nowhere to be found on my system.

hze
July 3rd, 2010, 10:52 PM
I use Ubuntu and Fedora, does not even own a windows operating system...

Jaecyn42
July 3rd, 2010, 11:13 PM
The XP partition on my laptop BSOD'd on me a few weeks ago. Rather than trying to fix it, I just reformatted and went exclusively Ubuntu on this machine.

I still have a Vista partition on my desktop, mainly because every time I add a song to my iPod Touch in Ubuntu, it somehow turns off Genius playlist and I must connect it to iTunes to turn it back on.

If not for the wonkyness of my iPod, I'd probably drop Windows completely.

Ojustaboo
July 4th, 2010, 12:32 AM
If the games that I like ran fine on Linux, I would wipe Windows in an instance.

I don't hold to the argument I often see that if I want to game, then there's consoles.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 are 2 titles that spring to mind, I have them both for my PC and one also for my 360. Graphics are 10 times better on my PC plus I can download numerous user mods free of charge.

Also things like MMORPG's play 10 times better from a mouse and keyboard.

At the end of the day I spent more in my PC's graphics card alone than any console costs because I want to experience gaming at a very high quality. My choice, my money.

My favourite game, Lord of the rings online, runs very very well under Linux, but boot into windows and play, the superior difference is obvious miles away.

When that's not the case,, windows will go.

It also has the knock on effect of me booting windows for gaming and staying there to do everything else.

Edit: for fairness, I should add that I last tried Linux in June last year, which is what the above is based on (how lord of the rings runs etc), hopefully after a year, it will now run as good. Will find out in a couple of days

murderslastcrow
July 4th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Well, if your Windows partition is reduced to nothing but a game console, that still reduces risks of other Windows-related programs since you're not doing tons of other stuff in Windows.

They really need to figure out some way to switch between Windows and another OS without having to reboot. :3 That'd be interesting, and might slow everything down, but still. XD Like pseudo-hibernation.

I wonder what we'll be playing MMOs on in 20 years? O,o

rolleander
July 4th, 2010, 05:21 AM
I've been away from Windows for so long now that
I forget how to use it sometimes...

NightwishFan
July 4th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I've been away from Windows for so long now that
I forget how to use it sometimes...

Happens here too, I have to ask about new changes so I can help folks with newer versions more effectively.

gmanigault
July 4th, 2010, 10:22 PM
One thing keeps me using windows xp.

I have and Iphone and need it for syncing. That is funny since the core OS in the Iphone is Unix. Other than that all my servers, desktops and laptops are linux. I have and Acer mini with both OS's.

BlazeFire247
July 4th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I just installed Ubuntu a few days ago, and I still have Windows. But I'd rather use Ubuntu mostly, from now on.

doublewitt
July 4th, 2010, 11:31 PM
For me, Windows is forever gone with the wind...!
Never will I go back to that complicated mess.
I'm so happy with my Ubuntu for about a year now
and honestly, Ive had a much better computer experience since then.
With Windows, I had to re-format completely every 4 months.
This never occcurs with Ubuntu. It is loads more stable...

slooksterpsv
July 5th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I'm completely switching my laptop right now. I'm not doing Ubuntu necessarily, I'm doing Linux mint, cause I'm lazy and don't want to have to reinstall every plug-in that is already included with Mint.

Right now it's installing Mint to all 480GB. Wish me luck, I hope I only have to use Windows in a VM.

Elysius
July 5th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Running ubuntu too less of a period, don't know if I can keep the switch.

ak123
July 5th, 2010, 08:19 AM
I wiped windows about 6 months ago after karmic came out... never looked back since then... although i still have to use win2000 at school...

Native Dialect
July 6th, 2010, 05:22 PM
As much as I could learn to live without games, it sucks that I would have to lose every iTunes movie I purchased or acquired as a digital copy with a Blu Ray or DVD. It really bites that iTunes has not been released for Linux. Not that they need it now, with the Ubuntu One store. But it would be nice if my films were not iTunes locked. I am stuck with Windows indefinitely.

DWade
July 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM
If I could I would have. But I am too techie to be removed from Windows.

Lets see, 1st off get a school district to change to Open Office. Instead of MS Office. Get them to use Unix servers instead of MS.

Next for Home how does Quicken load into linux. It has no linux, only Windows and Mac. Gee Mac is now Unix base, why can't the do linux?

Next for business Quickbooks Pro, a Linux Version. There Is none.

Corel Draw for Linux, there is none. I could go on here.

So a repair technician and a Graphic artist I must stay Windows.

If you can find those to work other than Virtual Box or VM Ware, which I have been using for years, but there some problems.

So any answers?;)

Crunchy the Headcrab
July 6th, 2010, 09:56 PM
If I could I would have. But I am too techie to be removed from Windows.

Lets see, 1st off get a school district to change to Open Office. Instead of MS Office. Get them to use Unix servers instead of MS.

Next for Home how does Quicken load into linux. It has no linux, only Windows and Mac. Gee Mac is now Unix base, why can't the do linux?

Next for business Quickbooks Pro, a Linux Version. There Is none.

Corel Draw for Linux, there is none. I could go on here.

So a repair technician and a Graphic artist I must stay Windows.

If you can find those to work other than Virtual Box or VM Ware, which I have been using for years, but there some problems.

So any answers?;)
I think that saying you are too much of a techie is slightly off base. Many enterprise solutions are open source alternatives. mysql, linux, and apache are huge in the administration/networking arena. As a repair technician, I can understand why you'd need be very familiar with windows/mac though.

agamjain
July 7th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Though I am a gamer at heart, but I still switched to Ubuntu completely erasing Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, which came pre-installed with my laptop. Now, I am finding equivalent games to install and run in Ubuntu. I loved Quake 3 and I found OpenArena, which is the open source version.

ahso4271
July 7th, 2010, 08:14 AM
not yet still bootin FSX

cdoublejj
July 7th, 2010, 03:42 PM
well i have *buntu on 3 machines 1 of wich is dual boot with 98SE. i have used it for a few years now in sort periods 1 or 2 more machiens if you count the ones i used for parts or sold.

I will never fully make the switch i like both i also wouldn't have bought a technet subscription if was gonna switch. i like windows it has compatibility for games i have lots of them in my steam client, steam and non steam games i have over 120 games. most name brand/popular. thats only 1 reason my beef with linux was jsut few days ago when i found out the new way of installing wine only works for 9.10 and newer forcing me to use a launchpad ppa witch is annoying becasue it doesn't have key for that repository and i can't be sure that wine will auto update. the only other option is upgrading to 9.10

Thats yet another problem 9.04 xubuntu is probably heavy enough on 900mhz machine with 384mb of ram and 16mb video ram and it's a laptop it's maxed out the only upgrade left is 1000mhz cpu not much of a boost. not enough to keep upgrading every time a new buntu comes out the other thing is newer is not better 9.10 seems to have glitches, 1 problem I keep reading about is wifi among other problems. my other problem is some times buntu requires some tweaking it's chore to get codecs installed. another thing that bothers me is flux box won't load even after doing the correct install or so i think. also wine isn't always the best some of my favorite games like starcraft and fallout 1 and 2 lag, but, it's getting there.

windows i get full compatibility well almost full compatibility. no dos support after 98se ME not so much dos support. i still play dos games so F* you who say 98 is ancient :p i still use it and it still has active development in 9x community namely msfn. windows also is supported longer much longer than linux much longer than lts xp is still receiving updates and it's almost 10!!!

aside from these major flaws i think *buntu is nice break from windows i wish it was a bit snappier or fluxbox would nice. I watch a movies called Revolution OS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_OS i suggest you watch it it has all the the people responsible for starting linux and it tells the story of how linux came about.
grant it i was using linux long before i saw this movie.
well i guess thats my 2 cents of ranting

rwthelegend
July 7th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I use Windows and Linux in my house and it works great. For browsing, serving files, torrents, online banking ... the Linux computer is fast and secure.

I use the Windows machine to edit videos and images mostly (it's a laptop, so I don't use it that much, I prefer a desktop with a huge screen).

webdevelopment
July 8th, 2010, 02:39 AM
i did

Russ.pinkslippa
July 8th, 2010, 01:24 PM
All of my computers have had ubuntu on them dual booted with xp for for backups/scans for years.

for my main pc i've been slowing switching things over to ubuntu since 8.04. now 10.04 is loaded i've got most of my stuff on it and only need xp for my games and some crappy apps that i have to use :( mentioning no names of course. (tomtom software being one).

i hope to fully migrate to ubuntu as linux kicks *** WOOP-OW!!

Just wish i knew the code to help you guys develop it..

Bucky Ball
July 8th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Ubuntu since '04. Three machines; admin desktop dual-boots. Wife uses XP for one game!

Studio box dual boots with XP. Protools, Cubase, PremierePro. High end AV software and music tech stuff.

Wife's laptop 100% Ubuntu. Created a Windows partition when I set it up for her but just never put it on. She's never asked for it. All bases covered with Ubuntu; Uni work, watching vids, Skype.

DWade
July 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
windows i get full compatibility well almost full compatibility. no dos support after 98se ME not so much dos support. i still play dos games so F* you who say 98 is ancient :p i still use it and it still has active development in 9x community namely msfn. windows also is supported longer much longer than linux much longer than lts xp is still receiving updates and it's almost 10!!!

Where are you getting updates for windows 98se?
Those quite 4 years ago.

And it will not run on new computers. Virtual box won't support it. It works half hazzardly in VM WAre and Windows 7 Virtual PC passes too much processor information over to run it.

AverellTorrent
July 8th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I use only Ubuntu on my computer, but I would probably dual boot if I were willing to pay for windows xp. But I've got enough problems paying for stuff, so I'll just stick with Linux. I can do 98% of what I want to do, and the other 2% isn't that important.

babai
July 8th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I first tried linux with hardy heron, and never went back to windows. I am a hard core counter-strike and other fps gamer, with so many fps available for linux and cs runnig excellent with wine I am more than satisfied with linux.

slooksterpsv
July 8th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Ok ok, I have to confess, I went back to Windows 7 yesterday. Netflix, I just noticed, put the full seasons of Futurama on it (may have been on there for a while, but didn't realize), I want to watch netflix and don't have XP to virtualize. If ReactOS worked (haven't been able to get it to work stable enough to try) with Firefox and Silverlight and netflix worked on it, I'd use ReactOS for Netflix.

I am running Ubuntu in a VM with 200GB of space allocated to it.

Goolie
July 8th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I just recently made the switch. However, the question is how many. So you'll have to count all the posts in favor of yea, or nay. I'll say a big number.

I'm a gamer at heart, I'm playing World of Warcraft, CS:1.6 Warcraft 3, and I'm installing Starcraft 2 Beta now.

I found that if you take the time to google / research you can do absolutely anything you wanted to do in Ubuntu.

cdoublejj
July 8th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Where are you getting updates for windows 98se?
Those quite 4 years ago.

And it will not run on new computers. Virtual box won't support it. It works half hazzardly in VM WAre and Windows 7 Virtual PC passes too much processor information over to run it.

i got the official updates witch you can still get only they are numbered. then there are unofficial updates updated dlls etc. then there are things like kernel ex that let you run xp applications on 98se.

rmayer32
July 9th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Been using ubuntu on my laptop since 7.10. I do have a virtual box install of Xp, but haven't logged into it in months. Even that was only there for Office which I have found over the last 2 years I need less and less because Open Office does pretty much everything I need these days.

The wife still uses Windows on her Desktop and Laptop but my laptop and 2 desktops are nothing but Ubuntu. I do have another older desktop I am getting ready to do an install on and hook it to my 52 inch flat TV. Right now I'm playing with Kubuntu in VM to decide if I want to run that or Ubuntu itself. Either way, it will be sharp. :D

JakeFrederix
July 11th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Switched roughly a year ago now.
Have had a few bumps along the way, but nothing that could not be resolved by the people roaming around this forum.

sjhaffner
July 11th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Never Had windows on my computer! :D But, my family computer is still XP. :mad:

fuyao
July 11th, 2010, 10:40 PM
oh wow this thread is 6 YEARS old?? never died?

anyway, i started using linux since 8.04, before that i use Windows

actually OSX is a linux too, linux and OSX are brothers, both have UNIX blood

levatator
July 12th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Hi ,
I completely have used Linux for about & years and now ONLY use Ubuntu 10.04 (till something newer comes out) !!!

parker.casey@gmail.com
July 12th, 2010, 04:32 AM
I switched over to 100% linux once I realized that I only ever use firefox, an IM client (which is nicely built into ubuntu), and openoffice.

Blu Fox
July 12th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Can't say that I'm 100% switched on my desktop since there's on occasions things that only work on windows (games, scanner, etc) but for the most part I'm living on linux. My dad, however, never looked back ever since I installed ubuntu on his laptop which was having windows problems. He loves showing it off to all of his friends, think I have a lot of installing to do o_o

topet2k12001
July 12th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Lol...Blu Fox. :) But that's great to hear. I'm a new Ubuntu (Linux) user, trying out 10.04. So far no issues with my computer, though I must admit I'm still maintaining my Windows partition for other purposes like games. Obviously as a new user I log on in Ubuntu more often for I believe that's how I will learn to use this and probably master this. ;)

foutes
July 12th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I have been using Ubuntu off and on since Feisty.I have tried switching several times (have an account here but can't remember the name or pass)over the years but always went back to Windows because of a new game release or just plain got tired of the endless hours of Google searches for wireless problems and the like.

Now I do not use my laptop for game's since I have moved to a console.I tried 10.04 and decided to finally make the switch(I do have Win 7 installed in VBox) and am very happy,this is not the Ubuntu I tried the first time which is a good thing.Much more stable now and I like the social aspect,Ubuntu One and hey Hibernate(guess the ATI driver bug is finally fixed) even works now.

Overall this is the most stable,polished,user friendly release yet and feel confident I have left everyday Windows use behind.My wife even wants me to install it on her laptop and she barely knows how to turn it on!

zabuch
July 12th, 2010, 07:01 PM
100%

Groucho Marxist
July 12th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Right now, I'm taking steps towards (potentially) starting a business after college that would use only FOSS enabled equipment. This is going to take some time, but nothing worth doing is ever easy.

Yleeyas
July 12th, 2010, 08:16 PM
After 5 years of dual booting Win XP (using Ubuntu 95% of the time), I took the plunge with a fresh Ubuntu 10.4 install (WinXP gone). Mind you, I do have Crossover Office for one MS based app (Quicken).
Some how I feel, well..., cleaner ;)

killer1390
July 12th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I use Mac OSX, Windows, and Ubuntu.

Mainly windows, but the other two come in handy.

bushguy43
July 12th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Love Ubuntu. I have it on all my computers. I recently got 6 old computers that were about to be thrown out. I installed Lucid Lynx in all of them and put in new cmos batteries, and have given most of them away to deserving individuals. It's great - it's fast, it's largely bug free and it's very easy to use. Most people I have introduced to it shout its praises.

Two main problems with Ubuntu. The first is the handling of portable HDD's on ntfs. Once they are corrupt, there is nothing else to do but use chkdsk on Windows. fdsk doesn't really do the job. (It doesn't) There really needs to be an equivalent of chkdsk for ntfs systems.

The second is video editing. If there was even a commercial video editing package available than had the basics, such as transitions (yes, the basics) then I'd buy it. The public domain stuff doesn't quite cut it - yet.

Cloudkookoo
July 12th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I've been using ubuntu exclusively for at least a year now. Love it love it love it. I've been on a couple windows computers since then, and it just felt wrong. A friend of mine just recently installed Windows 7 and loves it. He likes to show off it's new features and how pretty the task bar is. Yea, it's pretty, but with Ubuntu, I can make my system look just as nice as Windows 7, in fact, I can make it look even nicer.

qualtch
July 13th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I'm still using both Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7 Home. I would prefer switching permanently to Ubuntu, but I'm too much gamer myself to remove Windows totally.

If the Steam will ever be released on Linux, I could say goodbye to Windows OS. :)

scania_gti
July 13th, 2010, 09:47 PM
100% Ubuntu.

TriBlox6432
July 13th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I have switch completely. The only time I ever use Windows is if I have a HUGE file to download and it would be faster on the parents desktop (ethernet instead of wifi) of in School, because I'm forced too. But I still do most of my school work on my Ubuntu netbook. xD

zerin
July 13th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I've got 4 computers in my house, all have Ubuntu, and only 1 is dualbooting windows 7, (for gaming reasons), but i completly use linux in my house everything (except for gaming) from server to buisness documents, to movies to music, because it rules! So much easier for everyone. count me in.

rolleander
July 14th, 2010, 01:14 AM
If the Steam will ever be released on Linux, I could say goodbye to Windows OS. :)

I've somehow managed to get steam to run in wine on one of my ubuntu boxes... ran the original Fallout through it just fine (which also run fine straight through wine) But I'd imagine that newer games would probably have to be able to work in wine before being able to work in steam through wine.

Although - I'm not sure - only really messed around with steam once just for the heck of it - most of the games I like to play are so old that they run in wine, dosbox, or scummvm...

rolleander
July 14th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Got 4 computers in the house - 1 running Debian 5.0, 1 dual booting Xandros / Easy peasy (netbook) , 1 running ubuntu 10.04 (fresh install) , 1 dual booting ubuntu 10.04 (upped from 8.something) / winXP) I keep the XP around so I can update my TomTom -

Funny that - tomtom's core is linux but won't connect on a linux system - Thinking about wiping it, installing bare-min linux and a gps program , but ... afraid to brick it - need it for work...

Cam!
July 14th, 2010, 01:33 AM
The only things that have prevented me from becoming a full Ubuntu user are:

1. iTunes
Rhythmbox is great for MP3 playing, as well as Radio, and I'm aware Ubuntu has extensive iPod connectivity, but I really need something that can sync my music AND App Store purchases to my iPhone.

2. FL Studio
I'm a music producer, and it's vital that I have something that I can create tracks on. I need something on Ubuntu that can handle .wav packs, SoundFonts, and my M-Audio KeyStudio MIDI controller.

3. Steam
I'm a massive gamer, and the lack of Steam is killing me. Hopefully Valve will release the rumored Linux version soon.

oleink
July 14th, 2010, 10:10 PM
If you can get Cadega and Wine working properly with your games than you actually will get better benchmarks in linux! I switched completely. Loving ubuntu

Little Bones
July 15th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I wiped off Vista this evening. My laptop is now 100% open source!

Dragonbite
July 15th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I wiped off Vista this evening. My laptop is now 100% open source!

My Fedora installation is 100% Open Source, except for Flash. Even the wireless (Broadcom) is Open Source (OpenFWWF)! I'm tempted to remove Flash and replace it with one of the open source alternatives just for fun. :)

TheStroj
July 15th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Switched completely some time ago because Ubuntu offers me all I need:

- listening music
- watching movies
- internet access in my favorite browser (Google Chrome)
- playing my favorite games
- doing stuff for school (teachers are trying to force me to use Microsoft Office because of some compatibility issues but they can't make me do that :D)
- programming (I must say I like programming on linux distributions much more than windows)

+ much faster work, no freezing, super fast boot up and shutdown, complete control over OS, 100% customizable and much more...

Ofcourse at school I must use Windows except at programming class (where we use Ubuntu 9.10).

Bapun007
July 15th, 2010, 04:08 PM
The only thing i do with computer is just browsing net, watching new movies , enjoying songs and some time playing some games and nothing else . So i use totally Ubuntu .

oleink
July 15th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Switched completely some time ago because Ubuntu offers me all I need:

- listening music
- watching movies
- internet access in my favorite browser (Google Chrome)
- playing my favorite games
- doing stuff for school (teachers are trying to force me to use Microsoft Office because of some compatibility issues but they can't make me do that :D)
- programming (I must say I like programming on linux distributions much more than windows)

+ much faster work, no freezing, super fast boot up and shutdown, complete control over OS, 100% customizable and much more...

Ofcourse at school I must use Windows except at programming class (where we use Ubuntu 9.10).

I haven't had any problems with OO compatibility with Microsoft office. All you gotta do is set up the file format and page formatting correctly and you've got 0 problems. And (although this may just be a rumor) I heard microsoft office 2010 is going to have odf compatibility

jbra5516
July 15th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I've got two computers with Ubuntu and two with Windows/7. Which is the easiest? No question - its Windows. I've been wrestlng with the vagaries of Ubuntu for 4 days now and have no way out. If I ever get out of this hole I've dug for myself I will move immediately to win/7. Unix users are stuck in a time warp and believe in penny-farthings, watching Max Smart on black & white TV and doing the twist with Chubby Checker. Go back to walking in front of old cars holding a lamp. I was promised the greatest revolution in computing with Unix - that was back in the 60's. Despite all its variants - I'm still waiting.

I want to use a computer for its functionality - The operating system should be coincidental to my work on the computer. At the moment, its the angry bouncer/gorilla that's blocking the door of the bar - and I'm in desperate need of a beer.

linux18
July 15th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I've got two computers with Ubuntu and two with Windows/7. Which is the easiest? No question - its Windows. I've been wrestlng with the vagaries of Ubuntu for 4 days now and have no way out. If I ever get out of this hole I've dug for myself I will move immediately to win/7. Unix users are stuck in a time warp and believe in penny-farthings, watching Max Smart on black & white TV and doing the twist with Chubby Checker. Go back to walking in front of old cars holding a lamp. I was promised the greatest revolution in computing with Unix - that was back in the 60's. Despite all its variants - I'm still waiting.

I want to use a computer for its functionality - The operating system should be coincidental to my work on the computer. At the moment, its the angry bouncer/gorilla that's blocking the door of the bar - and I'm in desperate need of a beer.
Hey bill gates how is it going?

Shompol
July 15th, 2010, 10:48 PM

Unfortunately, many non-IT users feel the same way. Took me lots of pain to convert myself, and i am a Unix addict. Here's what I think:

1. Learning curve. "vagaries of Ubuntu for 4 days now" vs. 20 years of Windwos vagaries?

2. "the greatest revolution in computing with Unix - that was back in the 60's."
It IS upon us: MAC (based on Unix), IPhone (most likely too), Android (Linux), 99% of WWW servers, increasing % of embedded electronics such as GPS, e-commerce (think Wall street), etc.
It's the regular users who are blind to it, and keep using the inferior OS.

3. "stuck in a time warp".
Most of my Ubuntu installations were plug and play, with lots and lots free software available at the press of a button (you do not know about that yet, do you?)
Zero spyware, zero pre-installed "toolbars", no antivirus needed.

Being stuck with Windows can be labelled "stuck in a time warp" more appropriately.

Disclamer: being a Software Developer I am highly prejudiced. Don't take it personally ;)

ranch hand
July 15th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Come now, be nice. Linux is not for everyone.

You do have to learn some new things and how to do old things a new way. Some of us are too old to do that.

I have enjoyed it and now have an OS that is faster than the same box under MS. This is proven by boinc and how fast actual number crunching goes under Ubuntu as opposed to Windows (5 hour jobs [work units] under windows take 4.5 under Ubuntu).

This may not be true of that poster. I am on a box designed for Windows but it loves Ubuntu. His hardware may not.

Then again it may be another (I know of 2 in the past 2 years) MS employee working all or most of the Linux forums. They have to work too.

The post gave me a grin from ear to ear.

NightwishFan
July 16th, 2010, 12:10 AM
I do not troll Windows forums saying Ubuntu is better. Point of view is important, and once people learn that they respect what others use as well. So frankly I have no patience myself for posts like that.

arhunter
July 16th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I stopped using MS products in 1999 and completely was free from MS in Jan 2000, I used linspire to run my business and used CNR to load and run apps.

When Linspire was purchased by Xandros I tried their OS and found it far to restrictive and difficult to use so I switched to Ubuntu.

I miss a number of apps that were available at CNR primary my POS system that I have never been able to run in U 10.4.

I have no need to run MS apps and am currently developing a number of internet based apps so that the OS will no longer be relevant.

Still play games primarily air combat and find the Linux games work for my needs.

slooksterpsv
July 16th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I stopped using MS products in 1999 and completely was free from MS in Jan 2000, I used linspire to run my business and used CNR to load and run apps.

When Linspire was purchased by Xandros I tried their OS and found it far to restrictive and difficult to use so I switched to Ubuntu.

I miss a number of apps that were available at CNR primary my POS system that I have never been able to run in U 10.4.

I have no need to run MS apps and am currently developing a number of internet based apps so that the OS will no longer be relevant.

Still play games primarily air combat and find the Linux games work for my needs.

I remember CNR, I bought a $200 computer from Walmart.com and it came with Lindows on it, and it was nice it was fast and with 128MB of RAM it just worked. No Linux is not for everyone, same with Mac, same with Windows. Everyone is different.

I like tinkering with computers, I like different OSes, I love Virtualization which Linux, no offense, to me, seems built for. Open Source software is what I want to develop, make apps for others that others need. I love FOSS and FOSS is catching up with the hundred-dollar suites out there of software. Look at how many places have switched to OpenOffice because it's more cost effective... ok I'm side tracking now.

I just ripped a CD in OGG format and it sounds perfect, ripped an mp3 and I can tell the difference.

I hope I can completely switch soon, I just want Netflix to work on Linux.... I'm going to send them an email. Once Netflix works, bye bye Windows.

orky7
July 16th, 2010, 12:06 PM
i have migrated 92% the rest of 8% is for ms word, adobe photoshop, and some pdf editing and printing. i personally do not like 'wine' since this one time a virus effected my wine drive/folder( or whatever it's technical name) and also ms product does not suit the ambiance of linux environment so whenever i have to use the above application i use windows.

i just hate ms because it is gaining profit/popularity by putting them on laptop and desktops and shoving down our throat whether you want it or not. there are few linux machine available so most of the time we have to go for windows machine.

Dragonbite
July 16th, 2010, 01:49 PM

If you want something that acts like a duck, quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck and swims like a duck then get a duck! Don't get a swan and hate it because it isn't a duck.

JEDIDIAH
July 16th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Does tinkering with the latest build version of Windows 7 count as sleeping with the enemy?

All my main machines run Linux, Windows 7 was just there for the download. I could not help myself, honest. Why do I feel violated?

I have friends and relatives that still run Windows. I still use it for work purposes. I got a copy of Win7 just to play with and become familiar with in case I need to bail out a family member.

A little curiosity is a bad thing. Hopefully, having an open mind is what led you here (to Linux).

Linux has been my primary desktop OS since 1996.

Although I do run vmware for the odd proprietary app with no Linux equivalent. I also have a Mac that I can boot back into MacOS as needed.

I see Win7 and have no desire to go back. MacOS is nice in some ways though.

JEDIDIAH
July 16th, 2010, 04:27 PM
If you want something that acts like a duck, quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck and swims like a duck then get a duck! Don't get a swan and hate it because it isn't a duck.

Calling Windows easy is a crime against the English language.

Ubuntu might be "different" but it isn't hard. Support for some random device might be a problem though. Although that's not an issue of "hard".

Ubuntu actually does a very good job of out-duck-ing Windows.

Dragonbite
July 16th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Calling Windows easy is a crime against the English language.

Ubuntu might be "different" but it isn't hard. Support for some random device might be a problem though. Although that's not an issue of "hard".

Ubuntu actually does a very good job of out-duck-ing Windows.

Our church is looking to revamp their computer system. Unfortunately holding me back from pushing Linux too hard at this point is they want a non-related company to support them and the entire network (previously we had a church member handle that.. when he could fit it in, since then he's left the church and threw us into a lurch).

Otherwise I would push Linux for their needs and offer to support it, but I understand them in wanting a business to have be managing it, who will work on it regardless of any personal conflicts that could arise.

Doesn't mean I'm not keeping an eye on how to fit Linux into the picture ;)

JEDIDIAH
July 16th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Unfortunately, many non-IT users feel the same way. Took me lots of pain to convert myself, and i am a Unix addict. Here's what I think:

1. Learning curve. "vagaries of Ubuntu for 4 days now" vs. 20 years of Windwos vagaries?

2. "the greatest revolution in computing with Unix - that was back in the 60's."
It IS upon us: MAC (based on Unix), IPhone (most likely too), Android (Linux), 99% of WWW servers, increasing % of embedded electronics such as GPS, e-commerce (think Wall street), etc.

Most of my Ubuntu installations were plug and play, with lots and lots free software available at the press of a button (you do not know about that yet, do you?)

Being stuck with Windows can be labelled "stuck in a time warp" more appropriately.

Disclamer: being a Software Developer I am highly prejudiced. Don't take it personally ;)

The whole "package repository" thing is a godsend. It takes a lot of the guesswork and legwork out of getting a system completely installed. Instead of hunting for stuff you need and going to websites that look like they are about to infect you with something, just get it from the system installer. I've recently been playing with Win7 MCE and some of the sites you get pointed to for MCE extensions are really sleazy looking. It puts the whole "curated web" concept of the iPad into perspective. If "normal users" are used to being confronted with the crap, no wonder they view the Big Brother routine as a lifeline.

Still didn't get MCE sorted out...

"apt-get install mythbuntu-desktop" is a thing of beauty.

Time Warp? That sounds like a troll that's 10 years out of date.

oleink
July 16th, 2010, 06:15 PM

You should think before you say things. There are tons of people who program windows stuff that use linux. Honestly linux is based on more than unix. It's based on minix too. Honestly being unix based is better than being dos based. Unix had less problems. That and sure they fixed it so windows isn't "really" dos based anymore but it still uses the file system which is worse. Ubuntu is faster than windows. Windows wouldn't run well on my computer because it was too slow but Ubuntu runs faster than our home computer. The only problems with Ubuntu is that drivers are not quick and easy to install. Besides that useability is most certainly going in linux's/Ubuntu's favor also it is more about being able to do whatever you want that makes ubuntu/linux good.. FREEDOM

oleink
July 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM

Actually bill gates said good stuff about ubuntu. That I respect because he is trying to sell his product

oleink
July 16th, 2010, 06:21 PM
i have migrated 92% the rest of 8% is for ms word, adobe photoshop, and some pdf editing and printing. i personally do not like 'wine' since this one time a virus effected my wine drive/folder( or whatever it's technical name) and also ms product does not suit the ambiance of linux environment so whenever i have to use the above application i use windows.

i just hate ms because it is gaining profit/popularity by putting them on laptop and desktops and shoving down our throat whether you want it or not. there are few linux machine available so most of the time we have to go for windows machine.

Nice. Those were the reasons I almost kept some windows stuff but I found that Open Office was easily made compatible with ms office and that rawstudio actually fit my photo editing needs more than photoshop and gimp could do the rest!

Dragonbite
July 16th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Actually bill gates said good stuff about ubuntu. That I respect because he is trying to sell his product

Oooo do you have a link to what he said?

oleink
July 16th, 2010, 06:25 PM

Agreed. And yeah the iphone and pretty much anything else handheld is based on unix. Iphone uses opengl. then obviously android and RIM....

onthefence
July 16th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Until linux offers decent, native support for tablets(touch and stylus) I will have to keep using Windows. :cry:

oleink
July 16th, 2010, 06:32 PM
http://charlespeng.com/bill-gates-recommends-ubuntu
Oooo do you have a link to what he said?

Ok I can't find the original article but this isn't the context he used it in but he said basically that if someone wants to torrent windows illegally there is an operating system that is fully operational, "I recommend Ubuntu"

So the picture thing is way outta context. He doesn't just recomend ubuntu he only recomends it if you are trying to steal windows but either way I still thought it was pretty cool he said it either way

oleink
July 16th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Until linux offers decent, native support for tablets(touch and stylus) I will have to keep using Windows. :cry:

Why not android
and this may work with linux when it comes out:

http://mashable.com/2010/05/11/google-verizon-tablet/

Dustin2128
July 16th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Windows free since late 2008.

onthefence
July 16th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Why not android
and this may work with linux when it comes out:

http://mashable.com/2010/05/11/google-verizon-tablet/

I have an Android phone, but I should have been more clear given the huge amount of talk around tablets lately. I use a laptop tablet, Lenovo x61 Thinkpad tablet. I like the physical keyboard for typing. The touch works differently than an Android phone tablet device. Your touch works like a mouse, not for navigation.

Despite tablet hardware being decades old, the software for tablets is still in its infancy. :cry:

And I can't imagine anything Verizon putting out being worth buying, crooked thieves they are.

oleink
July 16th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I have an Android phone, but I should have been more clear given the huge amount of talk around tablets lately. I use a laptop tablet, Lenovo x61 Thinkpad tablet. I like the physical keyboard for typing. The touch works differently than an Android phone tablet device. Your touch works like a mouse, not for navigation.

Despite tablet hardware being decades old, the software for tablets is still in its infancy. :cry:

And I can't imagine anything Verizon putting out being worth buying, crooked thieves they are.

Ok I gotcha. Now I understand sorry. Yeah that is true you're completely right about that... :(

soldier1st
July 17th, 2010, 04:23 AM
for me i cannot fully remove windows as the games thing is what keeps windows around but in time i plan to make another PC so then Linux would be free of Windows(i hate to restart just for Windows)

jerenept
July 17th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I switched completely. I have downloaded a very interesting game for Linux called World of Goo. (http://www.worldofgoo.com/)

I only use my computer for web browsing and openoffice, and it works perfectly for me.

scheschi84
July 17th, 2010, 07:26 AM
I still use Windows for gaming, since many new titles don't run well on wine (yet).

DanRodYc
July 18th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Well, I did. Formated my hard drive (Win7) and moved completely.

Awesome experience. In many ways it feels like coming out of a pool and diving into an ocean.

This move is actually part of a company project that im leading. Trying to avoid and investment of $30K+ for Microsoft Licensing.

Even though we'll focus on corporate use, Im personally having a great experience using it for surfing the web (copying my Firefox settings was easy), coding and friends/family communication (MS Outlook transition wasnt so bad, I thought I'd use Thunderbird, but im loving Evolution (same thing with our corporate chat, Spark had problems, so we move to Empathy and it works beautifully)). Still searching/testing music recording/sequencing/editing software (like Reason, Samplitude, and Wavelab) and alternatives to Adobe Fireworks (Gimp's great, but lacks fast/easy slicing with image export optimization).

Im using a Dell Inspiron E1505, with a 40GB HDD! Before Ubuntu I had aprox. 2GB free on my hard drive, now, its somewhere near 27GB free. And I've installed lots of software. All drivers working, I thought I had problems with my wireless but it was turned off! :o.

I use a X-718BF mouse. No drivers found for Linux. So, I can't assign certain actions for the back and forward button that I was so used to. Not so high-priority, but I hope to find a work-around someday.

I have 1GB RAM. With Windows 7 after tweaking for performance and a few programs running, I was always near 90% of memory usage. Now it seems to stay around 60%. Everything feels smooth, all graphic goodies working awesomely.

I LOVE to know that Kaspersky is not eating up my resources.

I might need some Adobe and Proppellerhead software, but im trying to avoid it.

This is day 2 and its been great! Congratulations Ubuntu! hell of an OS!

Dan.

oelph
July 18th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Well I'm trying out Ubuntu again. It's either this or spend £100 for Windows 7 Home Premium. My main needs are mostly fulfilled:

Photo importing and editing: Lightzone
Video editing of AVCHD files: for now Openshot, but in a couple months Lightworks!
Gaming: WoW
Phone: just ditched my old iPhone 3G and now have a fantastic Samsung Galaxy S.

However the one thing that I'm stumped with is my iPad and being able to back it up, transfer music and videos and upgrade when new software becomes available.

nmyrick
July 18th, 2010, 02:35 PM
DanRodYC,

For Audio editing, try Audacity. It works great on Ubuntu.

nmyrick

lamadredelsapo
July 18th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I've made the complete switch. I don't need windows at home any more, so that's quite a few bucks less in software. And Ubuntu not only suits my needs but it works like a charm...

digitalis_46613
July 18th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I use Linux primarily, but I have to sync my iPods and iPhone in Windows (I know I can sync iPods in Linux, but as of yet, iPhone will not). Also currently my Linux will not play .AVI files in Divx or mpeg-4 format, which I cannot figure out (any advice?) so I use Windows to play .AVI files too. Otherwise, I'm strictly Ubuntu.

stuartcnz
July 19th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Also currently my Linux will not play .AVI files in Divx or mpeg-4 format, which I cannot figure out (any advice?)

You could convert your files with FFmpeg or probably WinFF which has a graphical interface, using the FFmpeg libraries.

snookpup
July 19th, 2010, 12:29 AM
I am completely Running Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (v.10.04) on my Dell Vostro A90 Netbook, upgraded from Hardy Heron (v. 8.04 LTS), with NO Windows partition. (ALL Linux). On my Desktop, I plan to run a Lucid partition with Vista, until I find a usable substitute for Quicken financial software on Linux. That's my only hang up keeping me using Windows at all anymore. The sooner I'm off Windows, the better.

Lensman
July 19th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I tried to like Windows 7, I really did. However, I grew tired of browsers crashing and strange little 'bugs' that kept popping up. I also found that I couldn't adapt to the GUI on Windows, as it felt different than I was used to, and we won't go into the three Trojans that were picked up during my first week of use.

I don't have any problem with people who like Windows, it's just that I am not one of them.

rewyllys
July 19th, 2010, 02:14 PM
. . . . On my Desktop, I plan to run a Lucid partition with Vista, until I find a usable substitute for Quicken financial software on Linux. That's my only hang up keeping me using Windows at all anymore. The sooner I'm off Windows, the better.

Yes, the shortage of financial software is an unfortunate nuisance for Linux. I run Windows XP within VirtualBox in Lucid to handle three (only three!) financial programs that lack satisfactory Linux alternatives:

1. Quicken, which I use for quick and easy updates of my stock investments;
2. InCharge, an old but superb financial-records program in which I now have over 15 years' worth of our family's financial records and which is, hence, indispensable to me;
3. The annual (in the USA) nuisance of an income-tax program; I use H&R Block At Home (formerly known as TaxCut).

If it weren't for these financial programs, my life would be simpler and sans Windows <sigh>.

Dragonbite
July 19th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Yes, the shortage of financial software is an unfortunate nuisance for Linux. I run Windows XP within VirtualBox in Lucid to handle three (only three!) financial programs that lack satisfactory Linux alternatives:

1. Quicken, which I use for quick and easy updates of my stock investments;
2. InCharge, an old but superb financial-records program in which I now have over 15 years' worth of our family's financial records and which is, hence, indispensable to me;
3. The annual (in the USA) nuisance of an income-tax program; I use H&R Block At Home (formerly known as TaxCut).

If it weren't for these financial programs, my life would be simpler and sans Windows <sigh>.

Yeah, TurboTax is one guaranteeing there is a Windows system somewhere in the house.

vcell
July 20th, 2010, 05:35 PM
One laptop is Ubuntu 8.04 100%. Other laptop is Ubuntu 10.04 100%. One desktop is previous version of Puppy Linux 100%. Other desktop is OSX. But when it has outlasted its usefullness (shouldn't take long) I'll replace to OS with BSD 100%.

Windows XP at corporate office. I have no say so in that. But my Windows theme is Ubuntu Human. ;)

oelph
July 20th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Well, I've been thoroughly impressed with Ubuntu the last few days. It isn't just an alternative but a better replacement to Windows 7, so I've bitten the bullet (after making many backups!) and deleted my Windows 7 partition. I'm going to try to stick this out through any 'bad' times that I'm sure will crop up. Nothing's perfect :)

Booots
July 20th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Total convert, my laptop and netbook now run Ubuntu 10.04 and it works absolutely flawlessly on both. Needless to say, I have no need for anything Windows anymore (finally!!!!).