PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

fewt
February 7th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I have been "switched" since 1996.

Is there a prize?

wWales
February 7th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

I was a WoW-addict, the latest expansion was too much for my old system however so began trying different tweaks to use the computing power I had more efficiently, which lead me to try ubuntu. I fell completely in love with this operating system as it is something I could see as "the game behind the game" and today instead of playing WoW I make paintings in gimp :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1384241

I'm a photographer & I use Ubuntu / Linux exclusively. Only have windows installed on this machine for my girlfriend and her fallout addiction :).

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=14322

Psychodox
February 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I switched both my PC's last month. I still have a W$ option on both, because I believed I would need W$ for XNA and Maya. However, since then I have been learning Blender and enjoy it. While I'm still not sure about leaving XNA (Xbox tools are nice), I haven't touched or wanted to touch the MS boot option. I feel healthier and less imposed on when working in Linux. Blender is not Maya or Max, and I haven't really worked with XSI that much, but a lot can still be done with Blender alone.

Plus, Blender is free, upgrades are free, and oh yeah, if I want it to do something else I can recommend it for development or even put some work and time of my own into it and help add it myself. Autodesk (the M$ of 3d) is light years of out matched in this area.

<insert rainbow here>

jedlacks
February 7th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I am still waiting for Magic Jack, AutoCAD, and iPhone integration. This is why I always need a Windows machine close at hand.

choyak
February 7th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Well I still have to use Vista for magic jack and the blackberry manager. I have not successfully located either one in Linux. I did attempt to use magic jack in Virtualbox but the audio just went 'kikikikiki' like too snailey (slow) to keep up. However, I have three PCs with Ubuntu only, and two dual boot. (one is a laptop). When I am forced to use Vista or XP, everything seems snailey and sluggish. Last night I was visiting my friend and using Vista, I clicked on Firefox and I think that the sun novaed before the Firefox loaded.

This kicka$$ PC that I am using now is Ubuntu only, it is my Christmas present to myself. I could never return to any Gates BUGDOWS product again. I am aware that in Ubuntu, you need to install MP3 and Adobe Flash, but not that difficult I did have to use TERMINAL to configure FSTAB for my network drive, but IT WORKS. There is no HORRID REGISTRY to deal with in Ubuntu either.

I also NEVER do any banking or pay mortgages with windows because there are probably 13 levels of keyloggers active in Windows. I am not aware of the existence of keyloggers in Linux as of yet.

jv2112
February 8th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Windows = Toast / Bash = Best Friend:p

wWales
February 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Ubuntu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJpAZsBNalM&feature=related)
( ↖ link)

lautarop
February 8th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I am switched completely, can't use windows...except for djing...Traktor is the only reason why I still have win on my laptop

hetz96
February 8th, 2010, 12:58 PM
completely switched to linux, happy with it.. :popcorn:

tonythemushroom
February 8th, 2010, 02:39 PM
i have recently transfered to ubuntu , got rid of xp on my laptop ( its a packard bell igo 4510) so its a older model laptop , ubuntu works more smoothly on it and does everything i want it to , also its faster . which is a bonus, the updates on xp were getting ridiculus and using to much memory , ( only got 20gb) plus xp wasnt appealing to me anymore . i must say im impressed with ubuntu and im now a complete convert to it :D

swaniachi
February 8th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Finally got rid of the dual-boot on my Studio 15...making me 100% Linux. Running Karmic on 2 laptops, and Karmic Netbook Remix on my netbook.

The last thing that had me clinging to Vista on my 15 was Netflix streaming...got a PS3 to handle that, and I'm good to go.

boot_sectorz
February 9th, 2010, 06:27 AM
100% switch was made in 2007 for me. But I have to dual boot (XP and Win7) as I work on Client's windows machines so I have to know how their OS should be like once in a while.
I had to use Windoze a few weeks back as my Ubuntu 9.10 had freezing problems. It was a terrible few weeks! I even got a virus in that short time! I a very happy Ubuntunian!!!:D

Natty Dreed
February 9th, 2010, 07:32 PM
After more than 11 years using windows I finally find my way to linux and get rid of winxp for ever

i'm using Ubuntu for about 1 month and i'm very satisfied and i mean VERY

snakeman21
February 9th, 2010, 07:41 PM
This is not my experience, but I was involved...

About a week ago, I told a friend of mine about linux, and he was interested in trying. I gave him a flash drive with a live ubuntu install and told him to play around with it as much as he wants. Two days ago, he stopped by my house to give it back. He said he liked it so much, he set up a dual-boot. But I just got an IM from him saying that he took the full plunge and deleted windows. In one week, he went from knowing nothing about Ubuntu to switching over completely. I wish him the best of luck.

danycrixx
February 10th, 2010, 06:31 AM
You are a gamer at heart but take a decision in regarding the windows try another if it is not good go again for windows.

Satoru-san
February 10th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Haven't owned a windows box since 1999 so 11 years of linux.
Though I have been a casual user until recently.

ssj6akshat
February 10th, 2010, 06:41 AM
The only games i play are mind games(gBrainy etc.).so no problem for me

switch10
February 10th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I run Linux on both of my personal machines. I do have an Iphone, I don't know if that counts. I do have a terminal installed on it though....:).

I have been building and selling high end/gaming systems for extra $$ lately, and I have been installing Windows 7 on them. It was the first Windows OS I have used since XP. I personally think it is useless. The GUI crashed for no reason when transferring certain files from my external hard drive. No error message. I finally just threw in a LiveCD so I could get something done.

I'm just glad I sold the systems so I'm not stuck with a crappy $150 OS.

I guarantee I will never run Windows on one of my machines again. .....Unless I'm going to sell it to some kid for $1000, so he can play games on it :).

q8bkman
February 10th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Not that I'm a Linux-lover, but I can say that I've last used any m$ product in 2008. I just give up trying to use that os with so many problems. As for games, i play 4 in a row :)

bingobingo
February 10th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Funny maybe the question should be how many gamers switched completely to Linux. I no gamer, but I 'personally' never used W$. I bought a few used energy efficient computers off ebay but dumped the XP or 2000 that was on it and went straight to Ubuntu. And thanks to who ever did what to the latest update to 9.10 it is no longer freezing and crashing and the cpu is right where it should be. I just wish that Linus would slow down the work to the Linux kernel and not have so many damn updating. Ubuntu have so many updates and upgrades because of it.

cap10Ibraim
February 10th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I still use windows for gaming

lukaszr
February 10th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I still use windows for gaming

me too.

I'd love to make the switch completely...but unfortunately i enjoy pc gaming...and Linux just hasn't geared towards that area...so I still need to use windows for that one and only purpose.

o well....maybe one day linux will have gaming compatibilities ;)

Preacher81
February 10th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I have been a stone MacUser for the last 16 years. I never used Windoze, did not know the first thing about it. I wanted a netbook to carry with me to my Church for administrative duties, I bought an Asus EeePC, a month ago, which came with XP. Right off the gitgo, I had trouble with it. I have a friend who has Kubuntu on a laptop, I used it for about 2 minutes, and came in and burned Windoze out of my new book, put in Ubuntu, and am still having way more fun than I should. I liken Ubuntu to a Mac: when I turn on either one,they work without problems, and I smile: When I turned on Windoze, it was usually "What in Lord's Name is wrong with this thing NOW?"
Blessings,
Preacher...yep, a real one.

dwhecht
February 11th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I have given up Windows completely except for two uses that are bound in the need to use Internet Explorer

1) Streaming Netflix
2) Work SSL VPN that only functions in Internet Explorer

The little bit I looked into using WINE, it seemed to be too tempermental for the consistent need I had for VPN.

psychosibes
February 11th, 2010, 09:45 PM
As of a week ago we run exclusively Ubuntu, after trying it on a Dell Mini 9 and dual booting on this Dell XPS M1330 for about 12 months. Also what i have found since wiping Vista, reformatting and doing a clean install of 8.04.4 is that many of the annoying issues i had have gone. The screensaver works, the suspend feature works all the time and i have the entire hard disk for storage instead of a pissy 10Gb. My parents have a Dell mini 10 running 8.04 as well, and my kids are getting a P4 laptop each for their school work, which will have windows wiped and Ubuntu installed...might try 9.10 for their machines. It just does everything we need, and i can play Oolite! What could windows offer me that Ubuntu doesn't? Its the best 0 i have ever spent!

InkyDinky
February 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I have an old HDD with WinXP on it. I loathe booting into that nightmare. I've been running linux for close to 4 yrs now and wonder how people get things done in Windows. I just bought an Acer Aspire Revo to stick XBMC and Boxee on. It came with WinXP and I played with it for about 5 minutes and then realized that a WinXP machine is worthless since it doesn't come with any software and no easy way to easily install programs. I really feel sorry for people who have to use Windows. I'm actually getting dumber about using (Windows) computers. People think I'm good with computers but when I can't do something in Windows people lose respect for me. Sadly I know very easily how to do it in ubuntu but Windows is just a hellish maze. Everything I want is on ubuntu. Ok I lied. I do want Pshop on there and have been unsuccessful in installing. Besides that I'm happy as a clam, I just wish more people used Linux.

Dragonbite
February 11th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I compleatly use Ubuntu. I started using linux in 2002(I think), with redhat 8

~Alan

Wow! Same here (I think)!

Twas the night before Thanksgiving
and all through the house
not a creature was stirring
save one stupid guy installing Red Hat 8.0 (dual boot) without backing up his system before!

:)

Actually my house is running Linux and there is little interest in the Windows 7 machine other than to check it out because it's "new".

grungedoobie
February 11th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Dear Ubuntu,

It was an honour and a pleasure learning Linux with you the past three plus years.

I left Microsoft because I do not agree with their policies or their practices.

Enjoy your new master.

Sincerely,

The Voice of Freedom

arnab_das
February 11th, 2010, 11:07 PM
i have been an ubuntu user for around 3 years now (and 2 yrs as the sole OS on my PC). i agree it has been a steep learning curve, but its been totally worth it. i have at times agreed, disagreed, severely disagreed with some of canonical's decisions, but all in all, it has been a worthwhile experience.

i hope ubuntu gets the recognition it deserves, the popularity it needs, and the support of the community all the time. however, it pains me when i see others distributing ubuntu remixes as a new distro altogether. they dont realise that unless they support ubuntu, there wouldnt be any remixes! :( sorry, if i got a bit emotional.

moongia
February 12th, 2010, 02:47 AM
I never owned a computer, until about 6 months ago.I bought a used one with windows xp on it..i was and still am a noob,all i really knew was just web surfing..i had a hard time learning windows.I had heard of linux long ago so i did a google search, and it led me ubuntu.I downloaded the iso 9.04,not knowing what to do with it,I went to youtube and watch some vids on how to install/duel boot.So now i have been learning windows and linux at the same time,i can say that i like linux a lot more.Its really a bunch of BS when people say linux is too hard,and not user friendly.It was easy for me,and so far it has made my life a lot easier too.I don't think i will be using windows any time soon.

sbelz79
February 12th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I have. I installed WinXP on a VM, but I haven't really felt the need to use it. I don't really need Windows for anything I do. And I'm switching a friend over too. His computer was old(it had a 1.8GHz Celeron), and WinXP took about 10 minutes to boot due to all of the malware on it. Since I had a couple of used computers at my place, I built him a machine using the best parts from both and installed Ubuntu 9.10 on it. I don't think he's gonna want to go back to Win either.

houseworkshy
February 12th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I thought I got a duel disc machine to use windows and learn linux on the spare drive. Vista fell to bits in weeks and now I just use Ubuntu as the main system and the other drive to ...well play with other distros and learn linux.

Riverside
February 13th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I have been using computers since August 1995 and completely switched to Linux in late 2002, initially using SuSE (an excellent distribution before the Novell acquisition) and subsequently Ubuntu since April 2005.

That is both at home and work, I am fortunate in being given the choice by my employer of selecting the best operating system tool to get the job done.

sicpsnake
February 13th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I switched to Linux when Gutsy came out. I have played around on Windows Vista, and Windows 7 a little bit, but have neither installed on my computer. I currently use Karmic, and have no intentions to ever use Windows again. I am happy with Linux.

blacktooth
February 13th, 2010, 08:47 AM
its been 3 moonths since i booted my windows installation!

lud
February 13th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I have been using Windows since Win 95 was released...However, about three months ago have erased Windows and living only with Ubuntu...learning to use ImageMagick instead of JPEG optimizers in Win and various other stuff. There is so much to explore in Ubuntu. Enjoy it :)

rozoord
February 13th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Just go on to another operating systems so that you will know what the other operating system also help you more.

Zyonin
February 13th, 2010, 03:32 PM
For the post part I have completely switched to Linux. I did not have much choice when I did as my Windows installed died as a Windows install will do and my kid had destroyed my Windows CD (Retail purchased XP CD that has been through three or four machine rebuilds). I was not about to pirate XP and my current hardware was/is too ancient for Windows 7. Thus I grabbed my Jaunty LiveCD that I kept around in case I needed to access a misbehaving system and installed. I have been using Ubuntu every since (around July of 2009).

I had dabbled with Linux before. I had, years ago, installed Storm Linux however my then sound card did not get along with it (an Aureal A3D based card). I later played with a couple of LiveCD sessions, first Gutsy and then later Jaunty. However after the Windows install finally failed, I dove in head first.

I have had some issues with my GFX card due to the crappy drivers for older ATI Radeon cards. Thus I can't play WoW as my system will hard lock. The only fix for that will be to rebuild this PoS PC. That should be soon. Then I will have a smokin' penguin powered rig.

401 Stargazer
February 13th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I was full Linux, but had to go back to Windows 7 as of yesterday. No Intel i3 support sucks.

I knew I should have waited a little longer to upgrade.

charlesopondo
February 14th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I completely switched about 2 years ago. I've never been a gamer so I don't quite understand what gamers miss in Linux. My favourite desktop environment is KDE although I usually install Gnome just to check it out.

Right now I'm a student of Medical Statistics, and I love to use R for some of my statistical computing, (the course is taught in Stata); OpenOffice.org, Kile and KBibTex to write up my assignments. I created a 30G virtual harddisk to run Windows 7 via VirtualBox, ONLY because this machine came with a copy. I barely use it, but it's quite a nice way to woo more converts to Linux ("see, if you really need Windows you could still have it, but I guarantee you won't")

Dreamer-of-Days
February 14th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I got a job at Dell, so I upgraded to 7 on my system just to get myself familiar with it. I keep "Win-blows" on my system for when we randomly LAN Warcraft III, or other RTSs. But between my console gaming and books, I hardly use the PC for much else than to throw munnies at... that and watching South Park.

DouglasAdams
February 14th, 2010, 12:59 PM
win gone!
however, i do miss my [old] quick books and i really don't know how i'm going to do my 2009/2010 tax return without it (cos i'm lazy and q.books makes it soooo easy - apart from not having all that historical data!
i'm also getting my ears modified by my kids cos they can't sync their ipods ... or my generic mp3. tried rythmbox, amarok but they don't seem to have a sync facility.
i'm just looking at the possibility of simply using a twin screen file manager, **** commander style, to keep them quiet.

redcharlie
February 14th, 2010, 03:07 PM
We have two Ubuntu Jaunty desktops, my wife uses (at work!) an Acer Aspire One netbook with Linpus Linux (based on Fedora 8), and my oldest kid has an EEE PC running linux as well.

Windows wise, I have an XP laptop for work, a VMware XP virtual machine that I haven't used since we went to Jaunty from Hardy, and Wine.

Deihmos
February 14th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I find it impossible to completely switch to linux. Some of the software is just lacking imo and those command line apps need to go away.

Warprunner
February 15th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Total Ubuntu! Lets see for about 4 months now. (However only sporadically used windows) I wiped Vista off of my disk and haven't looked back!
Converted about 3 people so far and now I am on my soapbox in Facebook! hahahaha
They are friends and family and should know the advantages!!
:popcorn:

tekkidd
February 15th, 2010, 12:47 AM
i have a desktop and laptop on ubuntu 9.04 and a server on debian lenny i do have one laptop on xp strictly for itunes (i will glory the day that itunes will come to linux) unfortunately i live with my grandfather and he has a desktop that running vista

Dragonbite
February 15th, 2010, 12:51 AM
I find it impossible to completely switch to linux. Some of the software is just lacking imo and those command line apps need to go away.

Just out of curiosity, which command line apps are you referring to?

The Toxic Mite
February 15th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I'm not a full-time user of Linux, having mainly used Windows at school and on the craptop very old laptop which I am using now. But I use Ubuntu on my main computer, my trusty Dell Dimension 5000 :-)

ElSlunko
February 15th, 2010, 01:03 AM
My PC use is 100% in Linux. My gaming moved to my xbox :P

skaneda
February 15th, 2010, 06:16 AM
My main rig is Windows 7, as i need CS4, 3ds and other appz that just arent available on linux and would be far too much of a chew on to get working fully over wine. My netbook has the UNR from winxp/ubuntu 8.10 dual boot.I use the netbook for pretty much all of my day to day needs, i only ever really use my main rig for media and gaming anyway. Planning on building a linux-based workstation at some point in the near future however. Also an ubuntu based home server is also on the books for later on in the year. :)

netbook + aircrack-ng on the go FTW

almufadado
February 15th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I switched to Ubuntu, definitively, as my main working OS !

I use a Windows XP sp2 in a virtual machine because I need the image scan filters included in my scanner driver. Xsane work great for normal scanning and to a certain degree to do OCR.

Nowadays, I use it, rarely, also because the poor of support and tools for some video formats (XVID) to convert media to a dvd (divx/xvid) compatible format. Linux lacks a tool like AutoGK.

Also there is no tool that I know to work with bluetack ipfilter blocklists is lacking in ubuntu (i.e.: BLUETACK BLOCKLIST MANAGER 2.77).

I have also a multiboot box (with bootng) with MS-DOS 6.2 , Windows 2000 sp4, windows XP SP1, SP2 and SP3, vista (almost SP1) , windows 7 rc1, all spread in 3 hard drives.
I also keep a 10mb hard drive with a master installations of MSDOS 3.1, and of msdos 5.0 with windows 3.11. Totally obsolete of course !

I also I a Mandrake server and workstation installations (7 yo version) on a hardrive ready to go.

Although Ubuntu is not perfect (some apps simple crash witch is very annoying !) but overall is the best network and internet operating system.

The repositories are awesome,

I am even considering opening a business to sell custom and refurbished machines with Ubuntu on it on dual boot with other paid S.O.'s. I still prospecting and ... say ... spreading the word !

On of the things I receive from windows users it the need of standardization ! This does not mean being monolithic, this just means that when people learn something it's hard for them to have to re-learn everything. For exemple :

crtl +c = copy -> crtl+v = paste ... so every application should use this as the standard.
In the gnome-terminal one find several different way to exit a application from "q" to ctrl+c, "alt+e", exit, quit.

The Linux communities must agree on interface device standards (keyboard and mouse):
- a basic default keyboard usage platform, so it can be taught easily in schools
exit / force-exit
copy /paste
single-click
double-click
superseed system recall
function keys (basic shared program functions)
create or use a multimedia extension cross-platform set of multimedia keys

-etftw
February 15th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I made the complete move for around two years, but I am currently finishing writing my dissertation which is heavily based on cross-platform development, so I am currently running Windows, Ubuntu and OS X for my research; unfortunately most of the time is spent in Windows, but once I have finished in around eight weeks time I am moving back over again :)

Konrad Ansehelm
February 16th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Both my laptop and office PC run Ubuntu for 3 years. I still have a windows XP partition on my office PC but I boot it only a handful of times a month to play strategy games.

Whenever I work with Windows I am always surprised at how poor the user experience is. It took me several months to adapt to linux from Windows, but now I won't ever go back to that locked down, rigid, uncustomizable dinosaur of an OS.

ben_10
February 16th, 2010, 03:16 PM
me. i've just formatted my hdd and installed ubuntu for 3 months. and i've always encourage alot of people the pros and cons of it. most of them are encourage but doesn't have any idea on how to acqure a copy. i think i have distributed it 5 copies for my co-workers. and they love it;);););)

tnoc87
February 17th, 2010, 01:35 AM
completely moved to ubuntu last night, sick and tired of MS cr*p, this is also my 1st experience of any other os so it was a little difficult to handle lol, like getting drivers for my wlan, i'm glad im not all that stupid i got them to work at 3am lol

chujung
February 17th, 2010, 02:51 AM
I have been bouncing back and forth, as I have been a windows user for years... That being said, the other night I got a nasty virus that destroyed my entire itunes library even on my backup drive which of course was plugged in still...

Made the move last night and never looking back. I am an avid gamer, and play currently WoW, EQ2 and a few others which all work with Wine... I found blender and gimp for my graphic needs, and aside from that I need really nothing else.

Hi to everyone here in the ubuntu forums, you have made/gained a new family member for life!

Benagain
February 17th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I have 3 laptops, well 5 including 2 old bricks that their screen looks like a cloudy sky with faded text on the screens . . .

My main laptop is Windows XP, which I keep XP because I need iTunes, and I have windows software which I have purchased . . .

The other two laptops I converted Ubuntu, well one of them I converted, the other I kinda accidentally deleted it's operating system . . . love ubuntu though especially KDE 4.0 desktop, it looks so professional and its free, I've really started to become a ubuntu lover.

When I get home I normally slump back on the couch with my Ubuntu laptop and chat with friends on Pidgin.

Love it.

mR0
February 17th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I'm not sure about it, most of my daily job well done on ubuntu except for FM 2010 is still on vista. But I'm currently learn about linux.:)
There is no applications in vista but FM 2010

handy
February 17th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I happily use BSD, & OS X, (when I have to) too.

OobNosferatu
February 17th, 2010, 08:58 PM
am totally windows free! and i hate apple anyways... linux is sex.

Dayofswords
February 17th, 2010, 09:03 PM
am totally windows free! and i hate apple anyways... linux is sex.

never heard linux described that way

i mean... i like linux, but ... uh, not in that way

Dragonbite
February 17th, 2010, 09:11 PM
never heard linux described that way

i mean... i like linux, but ... uh, not in that way

Plus you have to watch out for computer viruses! :lolflag:

halligan46
February 18th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I've strictly using Ubuntu for a couple of years since my computer went on strike . I still have XP but cant't get to it. perhaps when the Karmic comes along I'll clean with both distros. But frankly I don't miss windows one bit.
Jimthomas

ranch hand
February 18th, 2010, 04:25 AM
I've strictly using Ubuntu for a couple of years since my computer went on strike . I still have XP but cant't get to it. perhaps when the Karmic comes along I'll clean with both distros. But frankly I don't miss windows one bit.
Jimthomas
Karmic "came along" back in October.

vinnypew
February 18th, 2010, 04:48 AM
I haven't booted Windows for four months.

I play UT2K4, Q3, D3, SNES ROMS, and Frozen Bubble. I stay entertained.
I switched over two week ago and love it. Feels good work with something that is not costing me a tonne of cash for licencing antiviruses and buying programs. I believe that people will turn away from Microsoft and join in with linux Not all people but a lot. I can not believe how easy it was to load Ubuntu right over XP and worked without a glitch "yet" I am here to stay. If something doesnt work. The forum has the correct answer or yuo can find it fast. I am enjoying Ubuntu.:D

bookemdanno4
February 18th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I completely swapped over to Linux about 3 years ago and will never go back to windoze. I have to use XP and Vista at work though and it feels like pulling teeth! Vista is the worst computing experience I have ever had and I'm not impressed with windoze 7 as yet.

I'm currently using Ubuntu 9.04 (I'll upgrade to 9.10 when the Flash issue has been sorted - although I haven't checked recently on that subject) on an E-Systems 4213 Celeron laptop and an AMD dual-core Athlon desktop. Both machines have Gnome, KDE and Xfce desktops which I select at boot depending what mood I'm in, or if I want to use an application that needs a specific desktop.

The laptop performance gave a monumental increase by installing Linux, it literally boots in seconds as opposed to a lifetime with the previous Vista. The machine was originally shipped with Vista Home Premium and crawled along like a lame tortoise! I can't believe some berk at Dixons/PC World tech dept decided to put such a bloated, unusable OS as Vista on a lowly powered machine!

I do have a question for anyone out there familier with this model of laptop - is it possible to upgrade the Celeron processor to one with more muscle? I have already upgraded the RAM to 2GB put I was hoping to experiment with 'virtualisation' but the Celeron 530 processor doesn't have the Intel-VT CPU flag. I was hoping a processor upgrade would address this.

Cheers for any answers. :D

geoff07
February 18th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Not quite. I have been playing with Linux since Suse 6.0 and only now do I think that it is ready for prime time (in the shape of Ubuntu 9.10). So it has been gradual. I just converted my home file and tv server from XP to Karmic. My office machine and my wife's also are Karmic (and she can be a very impatient technophobe). I have a Karmic mini-ITX PVR where I am experimenting with different apps. There is another PVR which so far is XP but will become Karmic when I have sorted out NFS and NIS. That just leaves my daughter's Vista m/c which she is happy with (MSM and facebook mainly I think). And my laptop, which came with XP and probably will soon be Karmic.

When I first started, Suse 6.0 was a dog, and Karmic is way, way better (thanks guys). But there are still issues (like Firewire capture or SATA recognition) where there is work to do. And I wish they wouldn't keep changing the way it works (GRUB2 for example) These apart, there are few apps that I have collected along the way for Windows that aren't already in good shape under Ubuntu, allowing me to switch without loss.

If you are thinking of switching I say go for it!

desnaike
February 18th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I used Win2000 until June 2006 then Ubuntu 6.06,8.10,9.04,9.10. Have dual booted opensuse,mandriva,mepis,zenwalk but prefer Ubuntu. Still use winxp at work no choice.

v1ad
February 18th, 2010, 05:08 PM
i swapped over to ubuntu last week. but being a gamer i run into a few issues that i am sure can be resolved if i finally put in the time that i need to resolve them.

pulser1983
February 18th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Hi Friends,

I have completed 1 year in linux ( without windows ) and just shifted to ubuntu 9.10 from fedora 11.

I use xampp, netbeans and firefox, 90% persent of the time.

and rest goes on to tuning my laptop performance.

Though i do not hate any OS,
But I am on the path to nirvana with the help of Linux.

If you what work with peace, then go for Ubuntu.

wmsheep
February 18th, 2010, 08:34 PM
been M$ free here for about 3 years.

Got 3 PC`s - 1 running Ubuntu 9.10 (errr, that`s my lappy that I use for all my college stuff), 1 running Kubuntu 9.10, and my main one running Slackware 13.

Gonna be building a Mythbuntu TV machine in the not so distant future.

Yeah, it was a bit of a learning curve, but well worth it.

Mark

(oh, just wanted to add that I`ve been using various flavours of linux for about 12 years, off and on)

WannabeFantasma
February 18th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I haven't switched completely....

Still play too many games.. (recently less and less)

Last couple of months i've been thinking about switching, but i'm first going to try to run my most played games on wine.

MichealH
February 18th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I switch... I miss programming: Back to Windows... I switch I miss BSOD's: Back to Windows... I switch I miss The Annoying prompts: Back to Windows... I switch I miss Throwing my head off the keyboard: Back to Windows... I get told off by family members not being able to use it cos its linux: Back to Windows... I switch I miss S-l-o-w l-o-a-d-i-n-g: Back to Windows... (Goes on forever!)

epicoder
February 19th, 2010, 12:26 AM
If it weren't for Photoshop I would be.

litemirrors
February 19th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I'm using Ubuntu on an Asus B202 and it works flawlessly, I enabled Compiz Fusion and it works even better than before. It destroys Windows in almost every way basically, although I've noticed the freeware on Windows is massive and very reliable in quality. Things like RocketDock, Irfanview, 3rvx etc... all make Windows very very tempting.

I'll stick to Ubuntu and learn it, I don't like Windows anymore :( I don't need it really all the stuff I used is available on linux in some form just look

RocketDock = Cairo-Dock
Notepad = gedit
Gens = Gens/GS
Snes9x = Snes9x
ZSNES = ZSNES
Microsoft Paint = GIMP
Irfanview = GQView
FileZilla = FileZilla
Google Chrome = Google Chrome
Firefox = Firefox
mIRC = XChat
Pidgin
uTorrent = Transmission
mp3tag = EasyTAG
foobar2000 = gmusicbrowser
gtk-recordMyDesktop
MP3val = MP3val
MusicBrainz = MusicBrainz
Java = Java
VLC = VLC
IZArc = PeaZip

Also XP is not garbage, XP can be modified so many ways like hacking the theme engine to display amazing themes like EX2008 or neXpro, adding freeware to that you can really pimp it out and make it unlike Windows 7 or Vista but unique. Sadly I feel the Compiz engine is far superior and Linux will offer the best growth in the future.

Koobelakahn
February 19th, 2010, 01:27 AM
The only reasons i havent switched 100%
1) Gaming: I use my Windows 7 machine for gaming. And I payed a good 30 bucks for Win7 lol.
2)School: I have ubuntu on my netbook, but it doesnt get the 8 hour battery life i need. It get 5.5 hours though, which is (most of the time) enough to get by.
3)Internet Explorer: Before all y'all start going off about how insecure IE is, I know it. The only reason I use IE is for myitlab.com (Pearson and Microsoft have a buisness deal).

Dragonbite
February 19th, 2010, 06:51 AM
The only reasons i havent switched 100%
1) Gaming: I use my Windows 7 machine for gaming. And I payed a good 30 bucks for Win7 lol.
2)School: I have ubuntu on my netbook, but it doesnt get the 8 hour battery life i need. It get 5.5 hours though, which is (most of the time) enough to get by.
3)Internet Explorer: Before all y'all start going off about how insecure IE is, I know it. The only reason I use IE is for myitlab.com (Pearson and Microsoft have a buisness deal).

Beat you, I paid 9$ for Windows 7

ktat
February 19th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I use ubuntu 99% of the time, what's that one percent for?? Well my Epson tx100 printer/scanner just wont scan for me unless I'm doing it via xp. This does suck a bit

I would also love to edit video, however, I have just had to give up on this one - not a necessity, but would be a great luxury.

mmmmna
February 19th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I essentially switched in late 2004, on my own computers. My definition of 'switching' is defined as which OS was set to boot automatically, if I powered up and walked away - since about 2004, Linux has had the primary seat. I've personally dual booted since late 2000.

Starting in late 2006, I had to go back to 100% XP64 for about 5 months, since my system is 64bit, and, at the time, all the distros that I tried refused to work properly on this system. That included Ubuntu. I then got a distro to install first try, and went back to dual booting with Linux as primary.

Once I remarried in 2007, I've pretty much had to leave some version of Windows on my PC; not for gaming, but for those people in my household that like to install everything and anything in THEIR Windows systems, and then when their stuff crashes and BSODs, they need to reinstall and thus they need drivers and whatnot. They complain when they use my LinuxOS, so those users are now hooked by my past generosity. I'm sure I could blow XP64 off the box and tell them too bad, but I'm a softie for my family.

So, despite setbacks, I consider myself as completely switched.

BETATEST
February 19th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Probably, never. I use operating systems and software applications to fit purposes I require them to do. Which is why I have Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, and do things on a big iron mainframe. I don't stick solely to this OS or that platform - that would be over-specializing. And when you go down that route, you breed in weakness to your skill sets. It's slow death and blinds you to other possible best of breed or cost effective solution approaches to a problem.

A lot of things I have to use are written specifically for one, and only one, architecture. Those vendors have no interest in porting their products to a myriad of OS platforms and incur the wrath of version skewing and release management.

I hate it when people use the fear of viruses and spyware as a sole justification to use Ubuntu or any other Linux variant. That's a lousy sense of false security. Linux is like any other OS out there, no special magic protecting it from the evil that some men (and women) do out there. I like what Gary Winston of NURV said in the movie Antitrust (mediocre movie, good quotes though, and I want Rachael Leigh Cook) ... "When you're on top, people attack the quality of your product. It comes with the territory." That's Microsoft. Now, if Linux was on top - every basement script kiddie would be punching holes into it and writing exploits for it and we'd be complaining about that. :mad:

I do a lot of video and graphics work too ... and unfortunately ... Linux/Ubuntu outright at this point just doesn't cut the mustard. It will, at some time, but just not now when I need it to. Yeah, the MAC OS is Linux based (a good argument that there's no reason why Ubuntu shouldn't do all this stuff), but the MAC platform is where the applications I need are at and they're not on Ubuntu. Yet. :)

trimmer
February 20th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Linux only for many years now...

:popcorn:

HermanAB
February 20th, 2010, 12:30 PM
What? There is something else than Linux?

"Do you not have any monks to teach, argue and burn those that disagree with them?"

;)

Tikkyca
February 20th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I switched to ubuntu because of windows viruses,ubuntu is a lot faster and secure then windows.

Tristan Tonks
February 20th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I had dual boot with vista for about four-five months before completely deleting windows. Just one thing left now that I do on a Windows machine which is MT4 Metatrader, So many great apps for linux its just a coase of finding and learning them.

sashoalm
February 20th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I use Linux exclusively on my laptop but I keep a virtual machine with Windows. My PC is with Windows and Linux (dual-boot).

teo2403
February 20th, 2010, 08:31 PM
For the past 2 years i have a laptop and 2 stable PCs with Ubuntu + Windows dual boot. Default boot to Ubuntu. Furthermore, 1 Xen Server (Debian based) with 6 VMs (5 Ubuntu Server + 1 Win XP).

I only keep Windows for emergency situations i rarely use them (eg flashing smart-cards / havent had time to find a good prog for linux yet).

However, 99% of the time for document processing / developing / surfing / mails i use Ubuntu...

Koobelakahn
February 20th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Beat you, I paid 9$ for Windows 7

How?!

MasterNetra
February 20th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I've been going back and forth but after what Win7 did to my laptop's battery I intend on staying with Linux. Maybe run XP in VM if I absolutely must.

turbowei
February 20th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Jimthomas

I haven't used my windows machine in years. :)

cyberey66
February 20th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I use debian on my main machine with no other OS, but I still have virtual box with windows XP. The thing keeping me back is the ability to use autocad and certain national instruments devices. There is no linux solution as of yet for either. For personal use though, linux usage is 100%.

dzul1
February 21st, 2010, 02:10 AM
I only use Linux, I left XP like four years ago.

mjneil.81
February 21st, 2010, 03:38 AM
ubuntu is currently the only os i use. would consider dual booting on a new computer with more disk space.
only thing i miss is using autocad. but can live without it. ubuntu does everything i need, easily for day to day tasks. having switched i have found i'm learning alot more about computers than i would have if i just stayed with windows.

ranch hand
February 21st, 2010, 04:02 AM
ubuntu is currently the only os i use. would consider dual booting on a new computer with more disk space.
only thing i miss is using autocad. but can live without it. ubuntu does everything i need, easily for day to day tasks. having switched i have found i'm learning alot more about computers than i would have if i just stayed with windows.
Ubuntu is good to dual boot with.

I multi boot with it. I have 8.04, 9.04, 9.10, several installs of 10.04-testing and Mandriva2009-1 (need to upgrade that one). One thing that will never be on this box or any in my house is Win Whatever.

Wine has no place here either as I have nothing that I would be willing to pollute my box with that you need Wine for.

ibates
February 21st, 2010, 10:50 PM
I'm not a gamer, but I have been attempting to completely switch from Windows for some months now.

But it sure is a bit like pulling teeth!

Linux is not intuitive to ex-long-term-Windows users. It is a start all over again process but worse than it was learning Windows, because now, one has to "un-learn" Windows at the same time.

I have often been within a hairs breadth of declaring "that's it! Forget Linux and go back to the cursed Windows". But I have persisted, cursed, hassled, started again, and done probably everything possible to make things difficult for myself without realising that is what I was doing. Finding answers to questions you don't even realise have to be asked is a bit of a problem.

But I am still hanging in there and will probably struggle through in a year or so.

Of course even after the "complete switch" there are some programs (and I can't speak about games), which are simply not available for Linux. So to continue using these particular programs, there can never be a "complete" switch from Windows until Linux catches up.

Good luck.

aviedw
February 24th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Getting windows to work on my system is a pain in the neck. I recently tried to install it on my current system. Now this is a system with a AMD 3000 about 2.1 mhz 2 gigz of memory 8400 Nvidia graphics card and a 250 gig hard drive.

Windows 7 was such had such a poor user experience on my system. And besides that i had to go searching for all these drivers. The drivers for my keyboard the drivers for my sound card the drivers for sata and the drivers for my printer and network card and etc.

It was amazing, i could not believe how much searching i had to do just to get a windows system to function. When i installed Ubuntu the only trouble i had was 3d rendering. That was the only driver that i had to manually search for and install myself.

After finally getting everything to work accept the sata on my system, i had become completely turned off by the systems performance. Compiz running all the bell and whistles doesnt bog down my system the way windows 7 did. And truthfully i didnt really seem much change from vista to 7

Like i've said before, the only way i will be impressed with Windows is if they can figure out what users really need and make an OS that doesn't demand a high end graphics card or a dual core cpu. If they can just simply make the OS scalable. Allow the Os to assess the hardware that you have and scale back certain functions so that it can still run very well on older systems.

I'm Linux for Life.... once in a while i might get on a mac but that is it.

ndefontenay
February 24th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I'm a gamer too but I just game differently. It's a small price to pay. Besides there's quite a lot of nice games nowadays.

lockalidiot
February 24th, 2010, 03:28 PM
One more gamer here! And every single computer in my house is running purely on Ubuntu 9.10. Not a single piece of other OS here. To add to that, I even converted my father to Ubuntu. He fell in love with the Christian Edition. (his a priest...)

caglar sekmen
February 24th, 2010, 07:21 PM
no more windows for me.. i am done with it .. what i realised was the happiness when i discover new features of ubuntu day by day .. i must be honest, i had some problems at the beginning such as sound and video .. but eventually after spending some time on solutions i am finally comfortable with it ..

ElSlunko
February 25th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Just installed WINE for Ultima Online. The g/f created a private server and I'm in now running around and killing gargoyles so I'm not 100% "pure" anymore... I guess.

cap10Ibraim
February 25th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Some times I think about deleting windows because I hate dual booting , then I realize no I will regret it .
This my first time using a Linux distro , so i'll wait a year before choosing

Dragonbite
February 25th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Some times I think about deleting windows because I hate dual booting , then I realize no I will regret it .
This my first time using a Linux distro , so i'll wait a year before choosing

Wise choice. Don't jump into the pool head-first until you're sure there's water in there! ;)

I'm very glad that I have a laptop, multiple hard drives and multiple trays (which the hard drives attach to). I can just pull one out and put the other in and viola! I have a compeltely different operating system!

So one has Ubuntu (my main production drive), one has Fedora (currently being used for testing) and one has openSUSE and Windows (I had this bright idea of passing Mono/.NET files back-and-forth but that hasn't happened yet).

It's also gave me the incentive to use cloud computing and server storage to easily move things back-and-forth.

Mark Phelps
February 25th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Well .. I actual WAS ... for a while.

Had uses UNIX professionally for several years but had been an MS Windows users since the early days. Then, Vista came out -- and it was a disaster! Took forever to boot my desktop. Ran slow as molasses -- despite my doubling my desktop memory to 2GB.

So, I jumped into Ubuntu as an alternative -- and was very impressed!

Within six months, I had ALL the machines in my household converted over to Ubuntu in dual-boot mode.

I was especially impressed by my Tablet PC, which was so slow as to be unusable under Vista, that got a new "lease on life" when I installed Hardy on it.

But ... as time wore on, no-one else really wanted to use Ubuntu on the other machines, newer versions of Ubuntu would not work on the laptops, and trials of Win7 showed that ALL the hardware worked -- once again.

And, the final blow, ATI dropped support for Linux drivers on my desktop, forcing me to use open source and lose 3D acceleration and CCC customization.

So now, I split my time between Win7 and Karmic.

st0nes
February 25th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I did with 8.04. My hardware died, so I thought I'd upgrade hardware and Ubuntu at the same time, which was yesterday. I'm appalled at how bad 9.10 is. I can't set screen resolution, can't access the internet via my 3G dongle, sometimes it won't mount my flash drive. I'm going to have to drop back to previous version that actually works.

Canonical, stop breaking things in an effort to introduce bleeding-edge features.

DubyBreaks
February 25th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I have completely switched to Ubuntu 9.10 for about two months now after dual booting for about the same amount of time, and will never put a Windoze OS on my pc again. After 15 years of paying for whatever garbage M$ decided to throw my way](*,), I finally gave Linux a try. First was Fedora, which I will say is a very good OS, but after trying a live cd of karmic, I was hooked. It was easy enough to make the switch and learn in the process with all the GUI for software, but I have to admit I am becoming a command line junkie already.:lol: It was the first OS that worked right out of the.....burner on my Dell Optiplex GX280 without having to spend 30 minutes installing drivers to get it to work properly. Ubuntu has put me back in the driver seat of my pc, and I like it.

cyberey66
February 25th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I did with 8.04. My hardware died, so I thought I'd upgrade hardware and Ubuntu at the same time, which was yesterday. I'm appalled at how bad 9.10 is. I can't set screen resolution, can't access the internet via my 3G dongle, sometimes it won't mount my flash drive. I'm going to have to drop back to previous version that actually works.

Canonical, stop breaking things in an effort to introduce bleeding-edge features.

If you want stability, you can try Debian which is nearly 100% stable. You lose having the latest programs at your disposal, but gain complete stability. For my main computer which I do most of my work on, I run Debian for stability. It's my personal use computer I keep Ubuntu on. It that crashes, it's no big deal.

cscott0108
February 26th, 2010, 09:10 PM

Dido, but I also like watching Blu-Ray DVD's so I keep my Vista around only for them.

HalfWord
February 27th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I've practically completely switched to Linux for daily use, because I mostly use my laptop with Ubuntu for it. It's the second one, since I first started using Xubuntu daily on an old bucket which broke and I got this one. It came with Vista preinstalled and I used it for a couple of months out of curiosity, then I got sick of it and installed 64-bit Ubuntu in dual boot, then scrapped it completely when I made sure everything works ok there.

Unfortunately I'm not M$ free since I work with their products daily being in the IT business, and my old PC at the workplace stil lhas windoze (2003 for experimental purposes), and my old home PC still has sp on it. Fortunately, I do everything on my Linux laptop, and the home machine even failed in the meantime ;) I have prepared a linux server at work and a linux desktop at home though, so I can be covered. I might also configure a linux fileserver at home to hold my data, something the previous XP box did.

I'm not sure however what I'll do if I wanted to play a DirectX based game, something which I haven't done for a several years now, but...

itsabou
February 27th, 2010, 11:39 PM
July, 2007 I set myself Free. The only reason I kept that other OS for as long as I did was, I shared the computer with someone afraid of new things so I had to dual boot. When I no longer had to share it became Ubuntu all the way. I never looked back.

SomeGuyDude
February 27th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Been all Linux since a month before I joined here.

Although I really miss Sony Vegas.

magic-neophyte
February 28th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Completely. I even use it on my mac, now that the issues are fixed.

I love the fine-grained control of the command line.

And the smooth interface of Gnome and the task bar.

There are tons of (retro)games on a Linux system, that are easy to set up and are very entertaining. Amiga emulation anyone?

Some of the games that have been 'freed' by commercial companies are very interesting.

Don't forget all that DOS and early Windows abandonware. Almost all of that can run under Linux too.

Let's not forget the scientific packages, like Celestia or Stellarium. Or awesome graphics tools like Inkscape (and Gimp, once you find the right mouse button) and Blender.

Cheers,

m-n

bwallum
February 28th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Me too. Just love the ability to control my pc. Installed Windows7 today for my son to play his games on. What a pain. Windows wants you to use it's browser, it's search tool, etc, etc, and really makes a meal out of changing away from these. It's getting prettier in a girlie sort of way but it's still the same resticted os under the makeup. Give me an os that does what I want to do anyday.

Whistling Nixie
February 28th, 2010, 01:46 PM

sextheorist
February 28th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Probably, never. I use operating systems and software applications to fit purposes I require them to do. Which is why I have Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, and do things on a big iron mainframe. I don't stick solely to this OS or that platform - that would be over-specializing. And when you go down that route, you breed in weakness to your skill sets. It's slow death and blinds you to other possible best of breed or cost effective solution approaches to a problem.

A lot of things I have to use are written specifically for one, and only one, architecture. Those vendors have no interest in porting their products to a myriad of OS platforms and incur the wrath of version skewing and release management.

I hate it when people use the fear of viruses and spyware as a sole justification to use Ubuntu or any other Linux variant. That's a lousy sense of false security. Linux is like any other OS out there, no special magic protecting it from the evil that some men (and women) do out there. I like what Gary Winston of NURV said in the movie Antitrust (mediocre movie, good quotes though, and I want Rachael Leigh Cook) ... "When you're on top, people attack the quality of your product. It comes with the territory." That's Microsoft. Now, if Linux was on top - every basement script kiddie would be punching holes into it and writing exploits for it and we'd be complaining about that. :mad:

I do a lot of video and graphics work too ... and unfortunately ... Linux/Ubuntu outright at this point just doesn't cut the mustard. It will, at some time, but just not now when I need it to. Yeah, the MAC OS is Linux based (a good argument that there's no reason why Ubuntu shouldn't do all this stuff), but the MAC platform is where the applications I need are at and they're not on Ubuntu. Yet. :)
Its not bcoz M$ rules(not on my comp.) that it has so many viruses....
majority of servers run linux. but still its the servers with windows that have virus problem???

amrypma
February 28th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I've been pretty much linux only for about 5 years now. I still have windows on this machine *somewhere* but it'll need lot's of updates by now.

spikyjt
February 28th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I use Linux exclusively for home and work. I only keep a VM of Win XP for testing websites in IE :( My entire work network runs Linux. My main reasons are flexibility and security. I can do whatever needs to be done, whether someone else has decided to allow their customers to or not. It's not that Linux is absolutely secure and we therefore don't need to worry about security, it is that it has an inherently better security model than Windows or OS X and more importantly, we can know exactly what is going on with our servers/clients/network and take whatever steps necessary, again because we can do whatever we like with it. Also, in my experience, security patches come out much quicker on Linux than on commercial only OSes, especially via Debian (and hence Ubuntu). Of course this flexibility and security also applies to Free/Net/OpenBSD etc.

Toaster Box
February 28th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Well i used ubuntu and windows 7 in the same machine with dual boot.
I wish I could not have to use windows but wine cant run all windows programs and games i like...

HoboJ
February 28th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I have been trying and playing with ubuntu since dapper. Up until and including jaunty I was having nothing but problems with sound and video it wasn't even funny. Then I gave karmic a try and everything has been flawless. Not sure what's been changed/fixed/added but I'm very impressed and happy. Given that I have been windows free for little over a week now.

Almost everything I've installed and played with has worked with no hassle. One thing that has given me trouble has been samba, out of the blue shares made with nautilus stopped working so I installed the samba config ui tool and made shares through that and it worked again. The other has been sound in an old game I like to play, Savage 1. It gets all crackly and from time to time crashes completely. Sound doesn't work again in it until I do a restart of ubuntu. Other than those two problems the rest has been cake. I hope come lucid neither of these two problems will be there to greet me. :)

chill32
March 1st, 2010, 03:47 AM
Switched over to Linux permanently for 2 month and for the most part im happy. I love the forums and how quickly I get help=)
So thanks to all you guys who know scripts that help me and all the other casual users help!
:KS(You deserve a sticker)

takisan
March 1st, 2010, 04:09 AM
Mostly using Ubuntu; once in a blue moon I'll use Windows or DOS, but still, I have both Ubuntu and Debian, and have SLAX on a CD.

loveandequality
March 1st, 2010, 04:23 AM
video editor well now there is Openshot Google it is better then iMovie. Is now part of the App Center in Ubuntu 10.0. Im Ubuntu full on for 1 year i see some games work on Wine but most dont. Even emulators there all for Ubuntu so thats all. Just try Wine with the games you cant live with out if they work them game on. I dont play Computer games thats why i buy a Wii for so yea.

ronnielsen1
March 3rd, 2010, 02:17 AM
once in a blue moon I'll use Windows or DOS

DOS? Really? I was trying out my 200M dos file in dosemu and typing in the old commands, etc and I was thinking "Wow we really used to have to do this stuff!" Don't get me wrong. I used to get frustrated with win 3.1 and say Give me Dos, but not any more.

Windows, only if I'm forced to

IceDoE
March 3rd, 2010, 07:31 AM
Ubuntu only right now. I got rid of the Windows XP boot a few months ago. I've been meaning to try dual with Fedora.

At this point though, I very rarely interact with Windows even on other machines. My girlfriends desktop and laptop have Ubuntu, my radio station has Ubuntu Studio on one comp and Xubuntu on another, and so on and so forth.

I actually do a good bit of gaming as well. My brother plays WoW under WINE, I play Heroes of Newerth (which has a linux version), I play alot of games from the repository or that I hear about from sites ( I like trying stuff and getting rid of what I don't care for, but I've found a few really nice games too).

Of course, I also have a Wii, PS3, NES, Atari 2600, etc so...

aviedw
March 3rd, 2010, 07:33 AM
I haven't booted Windows for four months.

I play UT2K4, Q3, D3, SNES ROMS, and Frozen Bubble. I stay entertained.

Hey im interested in getting the SNES ROMS, which websites do you get them from? And which emulator do you use to play them. And which manufacture for game controllers has the best support under Linux.

Im a complete Linux user, i have a mac laptop but i barely use it.

Memocjro
March 3rd, 2010, 09:02 AM
I've dun it \\:D/
At home, i got completely rid off of any trace of Windows 7 (the RC edition), and i am sure that is one of the best decision i've made. The only concern i had was my wife not being able to get used to Ubuntu. Surprise :D she actually likes it, because it's faster, easier to use. This morning i've completely switched from MS to linux, when i converted a 1TB hdd to a full ext4 /home and Ubuntu itself is enjoying a full 250GB hdd, so i can say i have all the space i could ever need. As for games ... i can kill some time with the gnome games :P

coldfire2122
March 3rd, 2010, 10:48 PM
A few days ago I wiped Windows Vista completely off my desktop and put Ubuntu 9.10 on it. I played with Linux back in 2005 over the summer (I was 16) I started messing around with it again about a month ago and actually have been learning a lot about how to use it. I have a laptop with Windows 7 Pro on it so i wouldn't say i am a completely converted but it was a big deal for me to take it off of my desktop because i use it alot! I don't do any gaming really but the few older games I like run under WINE.

counselordave
March 4th, 2010, 12:56 AM
About 6 weeks. I tried linux on this laptop about 3 years ago, but it wouldn't work. Mainly because of my lack of understanding of linux and windows. I finally made the switch recently because my laptop just hasn't been working right, and windows ends up being really slow really quick. I have 9.10 on my laptop now, and I installed as bare bones a version as I could and have been introducing new components as I need them. Right now it takes less than 15 seconds for ubuntu to load on my 4 year old toshiba laptop. The only issue I'm currently having is that of using my emu 1616 pcmcia and microdock. But I'll get that ironed out soon I'm sure. It even runs with little to no latency.

bunyip007
March 5th, 2010, 06:02 AM
My 8 Year old Laptop finally died running XP, Speakers went , then HD soon after, so had to get a brand new system. Im no gamer , so thought why not Ubuntu 64 bit. Loving it and wont switch back to windows. Running a i5 , 8 Gig of ram , Blue Ray Disk, 1tb HD and 23 Inch Monitor. Does everything i need and more.

a8jr
March 5th, 2010, 06:13 AM
well i still using my windows to play some games although most of the time im running ubuntu

casvoyager
March 5th, 2010, 06:23 AM
I have completely switched to Linux.

I always defended DOS against Windows back in the 90's. When I wanted to have Internet, I was forced to use Windows, but as I was never going to accept it completely, I kept two partitions; one with DOS, with has always been my main operating system. Then I changed MS-DOS to FreeDOS.
When I tried Ubuntu, I realised that was my opportunity to get rid of Windows. It took me some time to get used to the change. Once I was able to get online, burn CDs/DVDs and other stuff I couldn't do under DOS, with Ubuntu, I erased Windows from my hard drive. What a memorable moment!!! :D
Now I have been getting much more used to Ubuntu. Today I use Ubuntu and FreeDOS approximately 50%+50%. As a programmer and user, I am proud of being independent from pro-monopoly Windows. I also avoid buying any Mircrosoft products. It is also better not to buy a whole computer in most stores, because they force you to pay for a Windows license, which goes on like money for MS. Better buy the parts and assemble it yourself, or pay a friend to do it for you (give the money to a friend instead of Gates)... or buy a used laptop! :)

Sam Fallow
March 5th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Now completely Linux on my laptop. I did have windows 7 RC and have to admit it was the best yet by a long way. However the evaluation period was up and I wasn't going to buy it (Bill gates is rich enough already).

I had tried Ubuntu in the past but always found something that didn't quite work. I tried again at 9.04 and liked it so solely running 9.10 at the moment but still have to look after Vista on the desktop for family use.
What I like about Linux OS is that it isn't all automated and I feel involved and part of it. If I don't keep on learning my brain will waste away.

Ubuntu and loving it.

ramadatta
March 5th, 2010, 08:18 AM
since i came to know about ubuntu i completely switched on to ubu tu..since it has lot of pleasing effects..most alternatives to windows softwares..but even some dont work in ubuntu...i hope ubuntu will be in a position to compete with windows in few years...

kainalu
March 6th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Switched partially at 7.04, completely at 7.10, 3 months later. Those numbers look so low when you look at 10.04, next month. Am i getting old???

A_Nonny_Moose
March 6th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I did it, and I am glad. I have no other operating software now on this machine. The last unrecoverable crash in XP did it.

I am convinced that Microsoft, after some thirty years of trying, have no idea how to write an operating system worthy of the name. The can't even re-invent the wheel.

Trinity33
March 6th, 2010, 09:08 AM

hi i use ubuntu just for the last past few months so im new to linux and to be honest i really like it very much want to say thank you very much to people who make ubuntu. and if not that there are still things not supported in Ubuntu like my tv card i wouldn't use windows at all. im booting win just when i want to watch tv on my pc.

guraknugen
March 6th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I wrote in this thread quite a while ago, but things happened since then. I am now completely Windows free. Me and my wife has four computers that we use a lot and we also have two very old ones of which one is broken and has been for years. The oldest one still has Windows 98 (!) but I don't use it ever and it doesn't work very well anyway. It's a dell desktop machine with 320 MiB RAM (originally 256 MiB) and a 450 MHz P2 processor.

I have two laptops. One 17" Packard Bell Easy Note, bought a few days before new year 2007. It came with Windows XP but in summer 2007 I installed Ubuntu 7.04 on it, in a dual boot setup. The other laptop is an Eee PC 900 on which I have had Xandros, then Mandriva and now Ubuntu, latest stable version. My wife also has an Eee PC 900, also with Ubuntu. We bought it used with Xandros, but we got rid of that crap immediately and installed Ubuntu on it, again the latest stable version.
She also has a desktop machine that we bought at Christmas 2007 with Ubuntu pre-installed. She runs Ubuntu 9.04 on it at the moment, but we are going to upgrade soon, or maybe wait for 10.04, or maybe she is just happy with 9.04.

So my Packard Bell laptop is the only one of those four that has ever seen Windows at all, but a few weeks ago I found that my 160 GB HDD wasn't big enough any more, so I searched the Internet for a bigger one and I found a cheap 320 GB HDD that I bought and installed. Since the computer didn't come with a Windows installation CD, only with a ”hidden” recovery partition, and since I don't want Windows anyway, I only installed Ubuntu this time.

After a while, maybe a week or so, I created some new partitions on the new HDD and now I have a dual boot system again: Ubuntu 9.10 and OpenSUSE 11.2. However, I don't use OpenSUSE 11.2 much. I only installed it to have a good KDE system as well, although I still prefer Gnome, and as I understand it Canonical doesn't put much effort on Kubuntu these days and most of the reviews I read draw the conclusion that OpenSUSE is the best KDE distribution today. I don't know, maybe it is, but on my machine I had some Plasma crashes without even doing anything. Maybe something got wrong during the installation. I use the same /home for Ubuntu 9.10 and OpenSUSE 11.2 but I use different user accounts.

Anyway, these days I don't have Windows on any of the four computers we use in this apartment, but I still have it on myu old HDD, so if I really want to start Windows I can just switch back to the old HDD and start it up from there, but the few times I actually plugged that HDD in, I did it only to check some settings that I had in my Ubuntu (8.10) system on that old HDD. And theoretically I could start up my oldest computer (we are talking 1998 now…) with Windows 98, but the only time I did that was when I accidently erased one of my old files that was still on my old computer, so I started it up, copied the file to a USB stick and that was it…

I have been thinking of installing maybe Puppy on it, and I actually tried to install Vector Linux on it once, but I failed. The old computer can't be booted from anything else than the HDD or a diskette and I always need a start diskette if I want to install an operating system on it, and I failed doing that, even though I found a Vector Linux installation instruction that described how to install it with diskettes (2 diskettes and one CD). I think I know now what I did wrong, but I am not interested enough to do anything further with that machine anyway. I thought of a file server or something like that, since there is room for a few more drives in it, but… well… I guess that will never happen.

frankbooth
March 6th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Used to be a Windows 2000 user but have now been running Ubuntu since 8.04.

Reason for the switch: Sick of keeping anti-viruses up to date and cleaning my machine from malware, wanted a OS that actually works...

What I do at my computer: Everything from playing games to university related studies.

Everything I did on Windows I can do on Ubuntu.
Wine supplies me with support for the games I like to play and the wide selection of apps available for Linux is just awesome.

I will never go back to Windows, in fact... Using a Windows machine has become incredibly annoying since it lacks a lot of features that I'm used to.

guraknugen
March 6th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I don't even use Wine… The only game I play is Torcs, and it's available in the repos.

Brv
March 6th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I completely use 100% Kubuntu Linux on my older IBM compute,
iMac / Macbook Pro - Since 1998-current - I'm a Mac
Windows XP / 7 - Since 2007-current - I don't have a problems with Windows. Around for gaming, never crash. Very important to me for Work like Cars/Motorcycles tuning, dyno tuning, F1...ect - you know...
Kubuntu / Ubuntu Linux - Since 2008-current - Honest, I still love it. only for surfing web, buyonline, email..ect. Feel Secure but im worry about firewall... still default for 2 half years now :S

~Brv

March 6th, 2010, 01:19 PM
It is not possible, at least for me to dump Vista which i own. Here are my subjective reasons which come on my mind >>>

1./ User interface - Vista and 7 aero UI's are most professional looking, consistant, beautiful systems what is very important to me.

2./ Drivers quality - i have HP desktop which is full Intel HW including graphics and i believe that Windows drivers are almost perfectly optimized, stable and squeeze the best performace from my PC.

3./ Application quality - even if there are many very good alternatives i simply trust and like more windows applications. Like Nero, Paint.Net, uTorrent, WMP or MS Word. It has also a lot to do with #1

4./ Reliability - there are far too many thing where has linux let me down, even if i though that i have good SW alternative in the end it has not worked in some way. I could give many examples but i don't have time for that and neiter do i have time spend hours of testing and reporting bugs.

Conlusion: Linux is OK if you have enoght free time to play and test it, but IMO it it simply not good enough for my everyday needs.

ashmew2
March 6th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I might get flamed for this but anyways.

I've consistently been alternating between being completely "Linux" and Not 100% Linux. The problem is obviously the recurring one , something or the other doesnt seem to work as it should , or maybe some game company wouldnt develop for linux , or Yahoo wouldnt release a usable version of its messenger or the Dial Up support was removed from Karmic or what not..

The point is that we're just adding stuff rampantly and not considering the fix of the already present issues like the keyboard and mouse freeze up on Jaunty to quote an instance..There is no Grammar check option in OpenOffice , another as an example.

Take Care of the Little Things and the Big Things will fall into places.

kuvanito
March 6th, 2010, 03:37 PM
this is probably my first or second post althou I joined this forum a while back.I am in the reading club BUT I must comment on this one.
1-I am a windows guy
2-I like Ubuntu a lot and have used it since the 8 version,I now have installed 9.10 in my desktop and also 10.4 for test purposes(very buggy,long way to go)
3-Ubuntu Linux has to come a long way before I switch completely,first and most important Linux HAS to come out with a IM that supports both Video and Audio for people to switch over and either get rid of Firefox or Fix it so it can fully use Adobe Flash,on this one I did resolve the issue,I now use Google's Chrome.....what a Browser!!!
4-Keep it all freeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!(very important)

Brv
March 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM
It is not possible, at least for me to dump Vista which i own. Here are my subjective reasons which come on my mind >>>
1./ User interface - Vista and 7 aero UI's are most professional looking, consistant, beautiful systems what is very important to me.
2./ Drivers quality - i have HP desktop which is full Intel HW including graphics and i believe that Windows drivers are almost perfectly optimized, stable and squeeze the best performace from my PC.
3./ Application quality - even if there are many very good alternatives i simply trust and like more windows applications. Like Nero, Paint.Net, uTorrent, WMP or MS Word. It has also a lot to do with #1
4./ Reliability - there are far too many thing where has linux let me down, even if i though that i have good SW alternative in the end it has not worked in some way. I could give many examples but i don't have time for that and neiter do i have time spend hours of testing and reporting bugs.
Conlusion: Linux is OK if you have enoght free time to play and test it, but IMO it it simply not good enough for my everyday needs.I approve this comment.

~Brv

guraknugen
March 6th, 2010, 04:18 PM
this is probably my first or second post althou I joined this forum a while back.I am in the reading club BUT I must comment on this one.
1-I am a windows guy
2-I like Ubuntu a lot and have used it since the 8 version,I now have installed 9.10 in my desktop and also 10.4 for test purposes(very buggy,long way to go)
3-Ubuntu Linux has to come a long way before I switch completely,first and most important Linux HAS to come out with a IM that supports both Video and Audio for people to switch over and either get rid of Firefox or Fix it so it can fully use Adobe Flash,on this one I did resolve the issue,I now use Google's Chrome.....what a Browser!!!
4-Keep it all freeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!(very important)

Audio and video chat should work with Empathy and Pidgin. Doesn't it work for you?

How can Canonical make sure that Nvidia drivers, Flash and more is free? It's gratis but not free in any other aspects. Not even the MP3 format is free (and it's useless anyway, so I don't care – I keep to FLAC).

kuvanito
March 6th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Audio and video chat should work with Empathy and Pidgin. Doesn't it work for you?

How can Canonical make sure that Nvidia drivers, Flash and more is free? It's gratis but not free in any other aspects. Not even the MP3 format is free (and it's useless anyway, so I don't care I keep to FLAC).

NOPE,not even the video is available,all graydish even thou I have 3 different web cams none work except if I live stream on camardes with crhome's it all works audio and video,thanks google on that one,Firefox sucks when it comes to adobe flash but chrome's reigns there.

pickboy87
March 6th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I ended up switching completely over to linux. It took almost 3 years, but after the last 6 months, I would only boot into Windows 7 maybe once every 2 weeks. I have several reasons why I switched over:

1. Free software (yes, I know you can install freeware on Windows)
2. Ease of use. Took me a while, but once I got used to the feel of Linux, Windows seemed so old and archaic.
3. Control. 'nuff said.
4. Complete update of system from one command.

I ended up switching fully once I realized that I didn't play enough of my consoles that I've bought and neglected. I also turn to emulation (and yes, I do own a portion of what I play emulated) for gameing on the PC. I kept Windows around for gaming, but in the end it just wasn't worth the 14 gig install for just Windows alone (I'm down to a 2.3 gig install with ALL my programs on Arch).

SirBismuth
March 6th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I ended up switching completely over to linux. It took almost 3 years, but after the last 6 months, I would only boot into Windows 7 maybe once every 2 weeks. I have several reasons why I switched over:

1. Free software (yes, I know you can install freeware on Windows)
2. Ease of use. Took me a while, but once I got used to the feel of Linux, Windows seemed so old and archaic.
3. Control. 'nuff said.
4. Complete update of system from one command.

I ended up switching fully once I realized that I didn't play enough of my consoles that I've bought and neglected. I also turn to emulation (and yes, I do own a portion of what I play emulated) for gameing on the PC. I kept Windows around for gaming, but in the end it just wasn't worth the 14 gig install for just Windows alone (I'm down to a 2.3 gig install with ALL my programs on Arch).

I agree with all of these points. I don't game anywhere near as much as I used to, and have found some nice games in Linux, so that's great. Not I play them much, but they're there if I want to.

I am used to running multiple desktops in Ubuntu, so much so that on the odd occasion that I am forced to used Windows I sometimes try to change desktops. This alone makes XP archaic for me, I have had very limited exposure to Vista, and none whatsoever to Windows 7, so I can't compare there.

A colleague and good friend told me excitedly one day that he was going to upgrade to Windows 7, but complained about the financial and system-usage cost of Norton, think it was Internet Security. I told him that he has other options, if he so chooses. We have a passive understanding that we won't go all fanboy about each other's choice of OS.

B

Toffeeapple
March 6th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I sometimes settle down with a glass of wine and load up XP in vbox just to relive the good old days.

But I always feel somehow dirty in the morning.

mamamia88
March 6th, 2010, 06:42 PM
windows 7 in vm for doing math homework via special windows/mac only software i coudn't get working in wine and windows 7 on netbook because the wifi completely sucked via ndiswrapper

dennymallow
March 6th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Hi everybody, here's an enthusiastic penguin user!!!
I almost find ANY solution (from XSane for my Epson Scanner, to GtkPod's fast iPod management, and finally software developing solutions and IDEs) at my informatics problems inside the Ubuntu world!

I use Windows as SECONDARY OS (as my sign states :twisted:) and JUST for those games that I play with my brother or that just don't run at all under wine (but, unfortunately for Window$, Worms RUNS on Wine :D)!

I LOVE, really LOVE linux!!! Tux Rules!

rcayea
March 7th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Hey everyone,

I am proud to say that I have officially done the complete, 100% switch to linux (Ubuntu).

I had always kept windows on one of my other hard drives like it was a safety blanket for someone reason. I always used Ubuntu but I felt the need to leave a running version of windows on my computer somewhere. Well, about a week ago, of course, windows did a classic I don't want to start anymore routine. Well, I then said to myself, time to fiddle with Mandriva.

I installed Mandriva on the other hard drive and I occasionally boot into it to play with an RPM distro.

It feels so good to be away from windows. Yes, I will miss certain games such as Football Manager. I can't even get it to work with WINE, but no biggie. I have found Bygfoot to be a complete and utter witch to beat. It is very challenging. So that satisfies my football manager craving.

Anyway! Switch! It is worth it.

malel
March 7th, 2010, 12:12 AM
I am completely over to Ubuntu now and have been for sometime. It suits me fine

mikeTherob
March 7th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I switched entirely over to Ubuntu just about as soon as I tested it. The only real selling point Windows had for me Civilization IV and my screen was too small for that.

Serebro
March 7th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I haven't turned on a Windows box in 3 weeks now (basically since I built the new box and managed to get my MUD client working under Wine). Still need to see if I can do audio chat on Pidgin or something, but that's about the only thing I haven't tested out yet. :)

ianp5a
March 7th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I have 1 program still in the windows world. It is a big CAD program unlikely to work in wine. So I keep one PC in XP. One in Ubuntu. But Ubuntu is still hard going due to the documentation.

piojunbabia
March 7th, 2010, 01:24 PM
i will be using Ubuntu as my main OS but i think i will need to use Windows later... since we use Windows at school.

ubunlove
March 7th, 2010, 02:55 PM
i'm currently in the process, but not quite there yet. i'm still getting familiar with the enviroment and the applications and the OS itself.

seth elohim
March 7th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I have completely switched. I did it be deleting windows entirely. That way I was forced to learn. A couple of months in and I can say I am getting to be a guru of sorts. Learning how BASH works as opposed to just cutting and pasting commands into it helped me a lot. Oh, and youtube has been a godsend, as have these forums. I just bought a PC so I left the windows partition on it, but I never log into it. I got about half way through removing the bloat ware and just said F it.

prodigy_
March 8th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I use Karmic on my laptop but Windows is still on my main PC. While I have no problems managing either OS, Linux seems to be constantly lacking tools I need.

This time it's lack of adequate support for L2TP connections. I'm sorry, but xl2tpd is still crap. It doesn't support kernel L2TP and therefore eats more CPU resources. Also it's quite complicated and time consuming to configure.

Another thing that prevents me from switching to Ubuntu completely is screen tearing in x264 videos. I always get 100% smooth playback in Windows and I want nothing less. Not having a good posprocessing filter (like ffdshow) also hurts. In ffdshow you can fine tune color settings: saturation, per-channel gamma, hue etc. (very handy when you use a wide gamut monitor to watch movies).

Still, Linux has matured enough to be acceptable for simple desktop uses. It's just not quite there yet. Maybe next year...

P.S. I can't say there are no pros. For example, you're able to monitor the SMART status of hard disks in fakeraid setups. In Windows that's just not possible.

conradin
March 8th, 2010, 06:09 AM
100% for all uses. Except when I have to use my phone (Magic Jack)

TitanMech
March 8th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Ive been using Ubuntu now for four months on my dell desktop and acer netbook
The only thing i still use windows 7 ultimate for is the games such as command and conquer etc, because no matter how hard i have tried i cannot get either USB support on the windows 7 ultimate virtual machine i have using virtualbox.
I also need microsoft visio for work i have to produce at university and so far i havent found an alternative thats as good for linux.

Ive also stopped using programs such as adobe dreamweaver and photoshop, i now use the cross-platform alternatives such as KomPozer and GIMP

If anyone can help me out on getting the windows 7 virtual machine to detect and use my flash drives then i can safley say windows 7 ultimate is getting wiped off the drive, for good, and the only time i will ever use it from now on is to play a game or two in the virtual machine

chriswyatt
March 8th, 2010, 09:28 PM
If only Adobe would release Flex for Linux, then I could get rid of Windows forever!

Dragonbite
March 8th, 2010, 09:38 PM
If only Adobe would release Flex for Linux, then I could get rid of Windows forever!

I thought Flex was already available for Linux. I will admit, I am not sure what Flex is or how it is used, but there is something about Flex Builder Alpha available for Linux.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flex/flexbuilder_linux/ (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flex/flexbuilder_linux/)
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flexbuilder_linux.html (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flexbuilder_linux.html)

Delever
March 8th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Right now I consider myself switched to both. Broadened horizons. Does that make sense?

dragonboss
March 8th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Just switched this afternoon, after evaluating my reasons for having xp in dual boot, and it was sonicstage. So now i use XP in Virtualbox just for sonic stage and gaming on another laptop.

chriswyatt
March 8th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I thought Flex was already available for Linux. I will admit, I am not sure what Flex is or how it is used, but there is something about Flex Builder Alpha available for Linux.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flex/flexbuilder_linux/ (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flex/flexbuilder_linux/)
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flexbuilder_linux.html (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flexbuilder_linux.html)

Yeah, it got canned mid-production.

Although. I did read somewhere there is a new version of Flex Builder (now Flash Builder) for Linux in the works, so, fingers crossed.

superstargoddess
March 12th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I deleted my Windows OS system partition today. ^^ Now I have to move all of my other files from the other partitions over to here!

Edit: And I've only had Ubuntu for a few days! :D

bonethug
March 12th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I did and I'm not thinking of using Windows again, ever.

cubios
March 12th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Have been using Ubuntu over a year, and force my kids to use it the past 9 months. They like it a lot and they are able to do everything they normally do on Windows. Oldest son (17) even installed Google Chrome (prefers it over Firefox). They are able to do their homework including powerpoint presentations (using OpenOffice and saving it as MS ppt).

I still have my Vista system and use it once every 2 months for some type of development testing and update my blackberry storm.

I am planning to buy a laptop ($500). Plan is to partition drive and install Ubuntu. Plenty of disk space to have both system, so no need to eliminate windows.

tomdkat
March 12th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I switched to Linux as my primary desktop OS back in 2001 or 2002.

Peace...

aviedw
March 13th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I deleted my Windows OS system partition today. ^^ Now I have to move all of my other files from the other partitions over to here!

Edit: And I've only had Ubuntu for a few days! :D

That seems like a brash move but i applaud your courage. Good luck with your future ubuntu endeavors.

kleskjr
March 13th, 2010, 01:35 AM
I am just going to format my win partition finally:D
could you recommend me some other linux distr I could try?

robertcoulson
March 13th, 2010, 02:00 AM
I use Ubuntu...I still have XP so my kid can use AutoCad.
Robert

kleskjr
March 13th, 2010, 02:12 AM
yeah I also have Ubuntu (Ubuntu rocks!) but want to try some other linux distribution to have an idea, and maybe to rescue when there is a need ;)

_h_
March 13th, 2010, 02:12 AM
I've pretty much dumped Windows, and started linux world with Mint and now Ubuntu remains my one and only. <3

ranch hand
March 13th, 2010, 02:24 AM
yeah I also have Ubuntu (Ubuntu rocks!) but want to try some other linux distribution to have an idea, and maybe to rescue when there is a need ;)
Mandriva is nice if you can get used to the rpm system and know to look up the site;

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

so that you can get your restricted stuff. It will get the right repo to hook you up with in the Penguin Liberation Front. They run the restricted stuff for Mandriva.

If you want to use the restricted stuff direct from Mandriva you need to pay them for the license.

kleskjr
March 13th, 2010, 02:52 AM
thanks ranch hand, I think I will give it a try

ranch hand
March 13th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I am not on the newest on, I am on 2009-1, but I am sure that they still use a Live DVD and you can install KDE, Gnome and/or Lxde. I did all of them in spite of not liking KDE. Kind of neat setup there. Just pick your desktop environment on the login screen (as you would if you installed another DE on Ubuntu).

aviedw
March 13th, 2010, 05:39 AM

I think everybody should have a live knoppix cd. Thats a great troubleshooting tool.

If your looking for a some what difference experience try,

Fedora so you can play around with YUM

And check out SUSE so you can see how YaST works for you

Good Luck

jpaugh64
March 13th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Hello, my name is Jonathan.

Hi, Jonathan.I used to use Windows a lot, especially at LAN parties. But then, one day, I got angry. Windows shut down in the middle of a game because of automatic updates! I was so mad, I wanted to hurt something, and I slammed my fist down on my laptop, right above the hard drive.
Needless to say, I won't pay a cent to reinstall that heartache! I have not used Windows for 2 months...

*clap* *clap*and I do not plan to.
:-)

_h_
March 13th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Hello, my name is Jonathan.
I used to use Windows a lot, especially at LAN parties. But then, one day, I got angry. Windows shut down in the middle of a game because of automatic updates! I was so mad, I wanted to hurt something, and I slammed my fist down on my laptop, right above the hard drive.
Needless to say, I won't pay a cent to reinstall that heartache! I have not used Windows for 2 months...
and I do not plan to.
:-)

Oh my, quite the story. But there is an option to only have Windows notify you, and not download or install. ;p

And hopefully you didn't harm your hard drive from that brute force you applied to it. xD

cljhere
March 13th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I kick windowns vista from my laptop yesterday,ubuntu is my unique OS now!

jonathonblake
March 13th, 2010, 08:15 PM
But there is an option to only have Windows notify you, and not download or install.

That option does not do what it purports to do.
Microsoft can, and has rammed updates through on systems that have selected the options:
* "do not download";
* "do not install";
* "do not notify";

jonathon

arunas
March 14th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I would completely go for Linux all time (my media centres are already running on Ubuntu for more than 3 years now) except at two exceptions:
When I am playing games.. I am still a hardcore gamer and pushed by Direct X 10 I still need to keep Windows.
And when using Office. Still Office word is one of the best at making quick efficient and well-looking styling when you want to do proper final year dissertation or something similar.

For any other reason Ubuntu is much much robust than any other OS.

Fersure
March 14th, 2010, 05:40 PM
The only OS I use is GNU/Linux (a variety of distributions).

My sister, who is 11, also uses GNU/Linux as her only OS. She uses Fedora LXDE on her netbook. May switch her over to Lubuntu when 10.04 is released. (If it's stable, she prefers the Ubuntu way of doing things anyway)

gnupipe
March 14th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I use mainly linux (and FreeBSD sometimes).

dragos240
March 14th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I have a BSD system on my computer. Does that count?

Fred the Penguin
March 14th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I completely switched to Ubuntu. I was previously using Windows Vista and switched to Ubuntu when it crashed to much. Ubuntu has never crashed for me on stable release and it crashed less than Windows even on the alpha version of Lucid. Ubuntu is far better than Windows or Mac.

Je Et
March 14th, 2010, 09:32 PM
If you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages! When you play it forward it installs Windows

The only thing i used wondows for was for my emulators and i have them all working except
for Mupen64Plus v1.99.3. I'll never go back to windoze again.

dnairb
March 14th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I started with Ubuntu back in Feb 2008 (Gutsy Gibbon, 7.10).
Now I run Jaunty on my self-built desktop and Dell Latitude D600 lappy (with plans to run Lucid later this year), and Karmic with XBMC on my Asrock nettop Ion 330 HTPC thingy.

schulznotee
March 15th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I've had Vista Basic/Ubuntu dual boot on my Compaq c500 laptop since U v. 8.04. Worked liked a charm and ArcSoft PhotoStudio and Artifice Design Workshop Lite worked thru Wine just like they do on my XP desktop. (U grafix are goofy on that one, however).

Got tired of the dual boot bit and keeping the Vista up-to-date with updates, scans, etc., every couple of days so did a clean install of 8.04 and went thru the update/upgrade/update/update thing til I'm current on 9.10.

HOWEVER! Fresh download of Wine and reload PhotoStudio (Canon scanner disc) but now in PhotoStudio I'm getting a "not enough memory" message when I try to do text and there are no fonts available.

I'm stumped. Pleased with U 9.10 but stumped on the text thing.

Dragonbite
March 15th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I was going to dual-boot with 1 hard drive running windows 7 and another running Linux but now that I started fooling around with VirtualBox on the laptop, I'm starting to wonder...

The thing is, though, I don't want to fool around with re-activating and all that stuff with Windows 7 so I would love to turn it into a VMWare or VirtualBox image instead.

Before I do that, though, I'll need to take more time and get Virtualbox or VMWare running nice and smoothly. Like for instance, on my laptop the virtual machine screen doesn't even take the fullscreen when I fullscreen it. So first I need to learn enough to fix that before I try the "big one" ;)

antrozous812
March 16th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I use to have a small, second partition with Windows on it. I would have my Photoshop installed and some specific Windows program.
But I have recently reinstalled Ubuntu on one single partition, hoping I'll get used to The GIMP and other similar softwares Ubuntu has to offer.
At worst, I'll use the VirtualBox, which seems pretty easy to use!

-C

rrinjapan
March 16th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I don't remember if I posted here before or not. I started playing with Ubuntu last year when I was making a Hackintosh ... I got interested and now I have a Dell laptop running Mint and I just built a desktop and I'm running Zorin on it at the moment (looks like a little easier for my wife to use). I have no plans to ever go back to Mac or Windoughs anytime soon (like the next two or three lifetimes) ;-)

gdecoster
March 17th, 2010, 01:16 PM
My main box has been windows free for 2+ years.

The only thing I thought I'd miss is a linux version of Quicken. I tried many things to compensate for this from win4lin to codeweavers.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, it was easier to site in front of OO spreadsheet and design a budget and financial tracking template. Which has been a lot easier for me to plan and track, and more personalized for me then quicken ever was. Online banking can be done from any browser in my case so that was never a need in Quicken for me, just a convienience.

The updide of that is Quicken has reverted to licensing tacktics and upgrades annually. (my sister still can not let go).

So in addition to being windows free, I've save about 3 upgrades of Quicken and Quicktax.

Once you make up your mind to see the computing world without windows, you will find a way to accomplish the same tasks.

Gaming may be a whole new ball game. (or obsession) :D

I think if you are 'thinking' about going windowless, you are ready, JUST DO IT and learn to have fun.

Have you tried KMyMoney ? I switched from MSMoney to KMyMoney. It's a KDE application but works great in Ubuntu. Not going back anytime soon.

Kenny_Strawn
March 17th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I have Windows disks, but I no longer use them. As soon as I move away from my parents, my Windows disks will be history.

jedispork
March 17th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I'm considering the opposite and going back to windows...at least for now. I've been using ubuntu for a few months. Ubuntu is awesome and works great for web browsing and listening to music. However there are a lot of windows programs (that I use) that simply do not have a good alternative on linux. I think a lot of people do a total switch simply because it makes them feel special not to use windows.

Dual booting is not fun. Its a hassle having to reboot so I can use a windows program and then reboot again back to ubuntu. Even if your a casual pc gamer linux solutions are a crap shoot. My Mom was having problems with some of the cruddy facebook games even though they should work cross platform(using adobe flash).

I would like to use linux as my primary system because open source is better for everyone and gives me a sense of liberation. I often loose the mood for tinkering with the computer and rebooting to do certain tasks. For this reason I don't see myself taking windows off the main pc for a while. I have plans to do much experimentation with linux on junk computers and old laptops. I aim to be rid of windows when the time is right.

Robledo
March 17th, 2010, 03:18 PM

The thing is, that watchingTV on Windows Media Center is a peace of cake. Were I never managed to install anything that works in Linux. Cafeine; no chance!

Muppeteer
March 17th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I dual boot with Archlinux and Win 7. Though i rarely use windows 7, only if i get the urge to play a game, which is rare. I just don't see the point in running games through wine. I paid for a high end gfx card and want to get the most out of it. And wine just feels so dirty.

For everything else though, i use Linux. I actually find the tools better. And i can't live without Amarok, and i'm not gonna try it in windows. It just seems wrong.

Oh and, LOL @ Windows Media Center, you obviously haven't tried Boxee Robledo.

Dragonbite
March 17th, 2010, 04:49 PM
On my laptop I'm sticking with the dual-boot with Windows XP just because sometimes I need it for compatibility, such as the VBA for an Excel sheet I use once a year (and OpenOffice doesn't fully like it, but I cannot modify it in OpenOffice).

Again, my biggest problem is anytime I want to do something with Windows I have to allocate a couple hours for updates and downloads to anti-virus, security essentials, windows and every application therein (adobe, google, etc.)

Maybe if I can get VirtualBox or VMWare working to satisfaction (USB, full-screen, etc.)

bhencetotozo
March 17th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I use Ubuntu for everything
Except for:

VIdeo Projects (Sony Vegas) 500% better than cinelerra
Cinelerra is getting there though. and Im trying to work Sony Vegas with Wine.

Online Games (Game Guard Problems) Also, I do not like CEDEGA. No one should ever charge for ANY linux softwares. I never charged for my Windows Database (game server) softwares in my life. and I support linux because... To me, Linux is like a Family, and Us here, at ubuntuforums.org are all part of this family.

:D Helping people is such a big pleasure to me.

Thank you all for all the help always.

tora201
March 18th, 2010, 05:09 AM
I am using Mint full time on one machine and Ubuntu on another, myself.. I have played with other distros over the years, namely, Mandrake, Dreamlinux, Suse, Mepis, but always come back to Ubuntu in some carnation. I haven't used Windows for some long time now... just don't feel the need/can't be bothered anymore. Maybe I am getting older and no longer have the patience changing around operating systems all the time.

Overall, the learning curve is much higher, but I am pretty satisfied... especially since I finally got my Epson laser printer and my stupid no-name video camera going! I had been printing using an old Canon ip4100 ink jet - expensive, but couldn't be bothered booting into Windoze just to print using the Epson!

The only gripe I have with Linux in general is how there is still little consistency in the look and feel of apps (GTK vs QT, for example!) The look and feel of KDD apps *still* suck in Gnome, and vice versa.

Overthere
March 19th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Hi all,
I started with Ubuntu a couple years ago, but kept XP because I couldn't make mp3s with my synth connected like I could with DirectCut Mp3 for Windows.
Recently I bought a laptop and tried Kubuntu, then switched to Xubuntu (just to see the difference).
And I'm HAPPY as a lark with Xubuntu!! It's soooo pretty!!!! And so few hang-ups, and I almost never use line commands!!
Now, as my anti-virus on my old PC with Ubuntu and XP is about to expire, it's time to install Kubuntu on it and say goodbye to Windows forever!! :)

This open source stuff is addicting..!
Ciao to all!
Brian

zoomy942
March 19th, 2010, 06:39 PM
i came back to ubuntu to 10.04 and its a dream on my netbook. im going to try xubuntu for fun also.

autumnraine
March 19th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I have, both for my own desktop and laptop and for my girlfriend's netbook. Unfortunately I still have to run Windows in VirtualBox any time I need to use my Canon LIDE 200 scanner. Canon seems to show no interest in making drivers for Linux, so it's the last time I buy from them (and I've told them so)!

tilixibr
March 19th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I will if I can convince my family to switch to it. They've been monopolized my MS so it's going to be hard.... I should try showing them this thread:lolflag:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=643102

googeek
March 20th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Last summer my boyfriend had mucked our xp install up with so many viruses I knew I'd had to do a full re-install and didn't happen to have the disk anymore. I decided to go give Linux another look after like 5 years of ignoring it, found Ubuntu and installed. I kept dual boot just long enough to figure out the crazy pppoe config we had out here, so I could get on-line in nix and did a fresh install.

I was already into computers, and web design, but i really do believe that it was starting to use nix that got me on the snowball I've been on. In my free time in the last months, I went from kind-of knowing html to learning CSS and PHP. I absolutely love my computer, it doesn't do anything I don't want it to. Linux is amazing, especially ubuntu.

But, I gotta say. Getting some games to work can be a hassle. If you have a special game you love to death, get it to work before you switch. I have worked on a few and had different problems with each. Most things are really easy to fix, it's just a matter of finding a good, viable source who knows a universal solution.

oleink
March 20th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I switched completely to linux. At least until battlefield3 comes out and i can afford a desktop computer to run it. Then I am windows desktop (for gaming) and ubuntu laptop for EVERYTHING IMPORTANT:guitar:

Labus
March 21st, 2010, 08:32 PM
I've switched to Linux because I was building my first computer and I thought: "I've chosen all the best parts for my needs, why the hell should i still use windows"

mereih
March 21st, 2010, 08:42 PM
Just Ubuntu... All the way!

drillerccg
March 22nd, 2010, 06:39 AM
I'm trying. ust installed 10.04 and it looks great. My main box has Windows 7 for my kids and my wife. I have 2 hard drives for my laptop, one with XP professional and one with Ubuntu 10.04. I used the XP drive for online poker. That is until tonight. I finally installed Wine and got all three Poker Stars, Full Tilt Poker, and Ultimate Bet clients to work with Wine and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Here is the thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9007415#post9007415

I may not go back to Windows ever...

HansKisaragi
March 22nd, 2010, 06:55 AM
I'm a gamer, but recently iv wondered why the heck do i still keep on clinging to windows. when all it does it make my life a living hell.

Now that i got a PS3 i can get my next gen gaming fix from it.

Time to install Ubuntu again.. Its been a while.. I get goosebumbs already. ;)

freegeeky
March 22nd, 2010, 08:03 AM
I am new to Ubuntu as of last year when I volunteered some time to Free Geek (a computer recycling center) here in Portland, Oregon and got for a few hours of my time a box with the Ubuntu Hardy version. I have since upgraded to Karmic, installed VirtualBox to run Ubuntu Server with a LAMP configuration so I can get a Wordpress site running, and would not have made it without the Ubuntu forums community. Thanks to all of you who are supporting Ubuntu OS development. :D

ndefontenay
March 22nd, 2010, 08:18 AM

Even that is being challenged. The amount of games that works fine in wine is quite huge. So people craving some gaming will have the chance to experience it.

The only gamers left are those who wants the latest newest uber cool games.

Khakilang
March 22nd, 2010, 09:32 AM
I forgo my Windows favourite game and switch to Ubuntu Linux 64 bits. I will try the game on Wine later. Work on not it is still alright.

phibxr
March 22nd, 2010, 06:01 PM
The only things that keep me from completely switching and removing my little XP-partition are the following:

I simply can't get the same performance under Wine in World of Warcraft in 25-man raids (10-man raids actually give better performance than under Windows).

My job requires me to use a website based on ActiveX every now and then, and while I guess I could just make a VirtualBox-installation of Windows, I haven't gotten around to it yet.

zoomy942
March 22nd, 2010, 09:01 PM
Time to install Ubuntu again.. Its been a while.. I get goosebumbs already. ;)

you will love 10.04....

lklk
March 22nd, 2010, 09:11 PM
I deleted the Vista partition on my ThinkPad because I don't use it and I got XP cheap from school and have it in a VirtualBox but rarely use it. I use wine from time to time. I switched my parents desktop to Ubuntu with very few problems and only kept XP on it because of the games.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 22nd, 2010, 09:16 PM
I was running Windows 7 for a while and really quite liked it. It was good to be able to play some TF2 again.

However, I got bored with the OS itself. I don't know what it is about Linux but it is just such a joy to use. As a result, I installed Ubuntu again and run Windows 7 out of a virtual box for testing websites in IE, using Visual Studio, etc.

rudihawk
March 22nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
I moved to Linux only yesterday. I have been dual booting for nearly 4 years. Decided to convert today :)

I'm liking it.

JC Cheloven
March 23rd, 2010, 12:03 AM
I moved to Linux only yesterday. I have been dual booting for nearly 4 years. Decided to convert today :)

I'm liking it.

At last !! Congrats !! =D>

As for me, I've got both Ubuntu & xp since 2007 on my two main machines (I have also two dell mini9 which are ubuntu only though).

I seldom use xp. But I keep it because I don't see a reason to renounce to some functionality it can eventually provide. For example, to defragment that external ntfs disk that I bring back and forth with me.
Also I'm in audio/music. I'm trying to do my best to use only MuseScore as notation tool, and Traverso as a DAW, but I still have old projects in Sibelius and Adobe Audition which I may want to revisit (well, also I miss those excellent programs sometimes :-/ ).

Greetings

johngreth
April 2nd, 2010, 12:59 PM
I've completely switched. I haven't used windows at home since August. I had my computer dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 7 for a while, but the one time I go to use Windows 7 it wouldn't boot Windows at all, so I've just given up. Not everything works perfectly in Ubuntu, but it's way better than having to fix all the problems on Windows with everything.

Gregorybekkers
April 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
I'm completely switched to ubuntu. on my laptop...
the servers are still running Winsrv2003 in a AD environment.

i'd like to swith it to linux.
is there something like AD for linux?

beetleman64
April 2nd, 2010, 01:23 PM
I've been using Linux since around 2007-ish to see if it was any good on an ancient WinXP computer. I made the full switch to Ubuntu last year, but I can't really say much about games/dvd playback since I don't use my computer for that.

drumkitcat
April 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
I use UbuntuStudio on my laptop exclusively - and I'd switch my main office computer over to Linux in a second - but the only application I use (and only once a year) is the tax software (u-file) - if they (or anyone) came out with a Linux version of tax software I'd drop Windows like yesterday's lunch.

I'm a big fan of UbuntuStudio and all the great applications available.

hansvv1
April 2nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
Win98 was the latest I had on my private computer. That was over 10 years ago. I have used SUN Sparc Stations for my work when the first Linux kernel was published on the Internet. On my business pc IBM's OS/2 was installed. Unix and OS/2 were both mature OS's and it was no problem switching between them. But it became a problem when the company desided to use Windows 3.1. At home I switched to the first usable Linux distro in 1998 (Mandrake to start with, Ubuntu from 5.04). One year dual boot because of the family, then I dropped M$ completely. Saidly enough, my company never did that.

flyfishingphil
April 2nd, 2010, 05:30 PM
I've completely switched. I haven't used windows at home since August. I had my computer dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 7 for a while, but the one time I go to use Windows 7 it wouldn't boot Windows at all, so I've just given up. Not everything works perfectly in Ubuntu, but it's way better than having to fix all the problems on Windows with everything.
Does anybody know of a step-by-step guide for going from dual boot (with Windough$ Vista) to just having the Ubuntu?

I'm not a "programmer" of any sort but I really am impressed with Koala and would just as soon remove the Windough$ from my laptop and go Ubuntu only. I have the Koala up and operating, seems to do everything I want, I've broght over all of the files needed from "the other side", except for some webbuilder stuff from a Serif program, and I don't want to have to start over again.

Need something along the line of "for Dummies". Kind of like:
Step one, turn on computer
Step two, wait for computer to finish starting before doing anything else.

Figure I can copy all of the files, etc, I need to a DVD then bring it in to Ubuntu, but will need help with that as well.

Making the plunge is a bit exciting, isn't it?

BhaAraTheEyUdU
April 2nd, 2010, 05:39 PM
i USE onLy UbUntU..

MasterNetra
April 2nd, 2010, 05:45 PM
Completely Linux atm. Dad though uses Win98 on his ancient desktop. Fine for him though I suppose, he only plays card games on it and he's not connected to the net with it so he's fine. He don't go on it much anyway, not much of a compute person.

ranch hand
April 2nd, 2010, 05:53 PM
Does anybody know of a step-by-step guide for going from dual boot (with Windough$ Vista) to just having the Ubuntu?

I'm not a "programmer" of any sort but I really am impressed with Koala and would just as soon remove the Windough$ from my laptop and go Ubuntu only. I have the Koala up and operating, seems to do everything I want, I've broght over all of the files needed from "the other side", except for some webbuilder stuff from a Serif program, and I don't want to have to start over again.

Need something along the line of "for Dummies". Kind of like:
Step one, turn on computer
Step two, wait for computer to finish starting before doing anything else.

Figure I can copy all of the files, etc, I need to a DVD then bring it in to Ubuntu, but will need help with that as well.

Making the plunge is a bit exciting, isn't it?
Assuming you installed 9.10 after your MS install and are using grub for your boot loader;
A>Turn on computer
B>Place 9.10 Live CD in CDrom
C>Reboot to Live CD
D>Go to System>Administration>Gparted
E>In Gparted right click on MS partition and select delete option and hit enter
F>Click on apply
G>Enjoy the show

Repeat any other MS partitions.

Reboot and in terminal;

sudo update-grub

You can move the 9.10 partition to the start of the drive using gparted from the Live CD too.

It would be best to start another thread in the Absolute Beginners Talk forum. For more information.

TheNerdAL
April 2nd, 2010, 07:38 PM
I did. :D And now I love it!

ubuchignome
April 2nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
I am using Ubuntu as my primary OS. I bought Windows 7 when it came out and i was discusted after about 4 months of screwing with it to make it work well. So i dumped MS for good. I even got them to give me a refund , LOL ! I do have XP running in a virtual box just for Itunes, can't seem to get Rhythm box to work with all my music. But I am working on an alternative, then I will be MS free.

haddog
April 2nd, 2010, 08:05 PM
I have a triple boot dell mini i use most of the time.

60% - Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04/Latest flavor available
30% - OS X Snow Leopard
10% - Windows 7 Ultimate

PaulnJohnson
April 2nd, 2010, 08:05 PM
I just did it the other day. Wiped my entire HD clean. No more windows.

TheNerdAL
April 2nd, 2010, 08:06 PM
I have a triple boot dell mini i use most of the time.

60% - Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04/Latest flavor available
30% - OS X Snow Leopard
10% - Windows 7 Ultimate

Hackintosh? :P

flyfishingphil
April 2nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Assuming you installed 9.10 after your MS install and are using grub for your boot loader;
A>Turn on computer
B>Place 9.10 Live CD in CDrom
C>Reboot to Live CD
D>Go to System>Administration>Gparted
E>In Gparted right click on MS partition and select delete option and hit enter
F>Click on apply
G>Enjoy the show

Repeat any other MS partitions.

Reboot and in terminal;

sudo update-grub

You can move the 9.10 partition to the start of the drive using gparted from the Live CD too.

It would be best to start another thread in the Absolute Beginners Talk forum. For more information.
Thanks much Ranch Hand. Was thinking about doing it in AB but figured this looked like it might work too for the info.

Appreciate quick response.

tolgainci
April 2nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
Hello,

I'm an IT consultant, and I completely switched to Ubuntu on my work PC, after about a month of triple booting between Ubuntu, MS WinXP and MS Win2k3 Server. I must say I have never been happier with my computer.

I use Evolution Mail and OpenOffice.org for daily communication and "paperwork", so I don't really need any MS Software most of the time. Although MS Outlook and MS Office have more "bells and whistles", it seems I never needed them in the first place...

I have set up VirtualBox, which runs surprisingly fast under Ubuntu, and I run WinXP and Win2k3 Server in there when I need to support clients, or when I need to run software that runs only under Windows. Since I only do testing, support or programming in Windows most of the time, VirtualBox performance is more than enough for me. For daily troubleshooting and consultancy I don't even need to launch Windows most of the time. There is support for Windows file and printer sharing (SMB), Remote Desktop (RDP) and the rest of the necessities like FTP, HTTP, DNS etc. are already borrowed from UNIX!

Why did I switch to Ubuntu? Some of the reasons for my decision to switch to Linux and esp. Ubuntu are:

My computer is basically more "snappy", it boots faster and runs faster.

This came as a great shock to me, but the Internet is actually faster! I tried the exact same online videos and downloads and Ubuntu was noticably faster. I compared XP and Ubuntu 9.10, which may not be fair competition but that was my experience. I saw 800 MB/min download speeds for the first time on my 8Mbps ADSL, which I found hard to beleive. The fact that TCP/IP was built on UNIX, instead of being patched to an OS written in a completely different manner may be the reason, frankly I have no idea.

There is a host of free powerful applications for Linux, and the Ubuntu Software Center makes it a no-brainer to install and use them immediately! Just type in a few words in the search box and you get more than what you need. I can't beleieve I was stuck with MS Paint for screenshot editing and the like, when there is Gimp which is really more comparable to Adobe Photoshop. This is true for all kinds of applications that I had the chance to install and try. When you install something it works "fully" and Ubuntu Software Center is so much faster than trying to find that freeware Windows app that seems to be hidden behind a lot of commercial stuff on the internet. I think in the long run, people will also pay for really good software that can be listed here.

Ubuntu uses a lot less memory and CPU, compared to Windows, so it's perfect as a Virtual Machine Host. I could barely run another OS under XP, now I can run up to 3! Ubuntu still runs reasonably well under this load.

I think the GUI looks better even out of the box, and if you don't like it, it's way more customizable. I like the fonts and how the GUI looks, which is more "readable" than Windows in my opinion.

Basically speaking, if you like the MacOS X user experience, I think you will love Ubuntu. This may be true for users from the Windows world such as myself , who are relatively unexperienced in MacOS. Veteran Mac users probably will still prefer Mac OS X. Many people who see my desktop with Cairo Dock and the top menu, think it's Mac OS X at first glance.

No more registry! My PC isn't cluttered with a load of metadata that grows and gets crippled over time. When I uninstall a program, I'm sure it's gone for good. Every bit of info that a program needs to run sits on a folder in the file system, not in a database maze. When I need to clean manually, I can just delete folders, instead of crawling through an impossible array of nonsense "keys" to find where they are.

No more defrag! EXT4 file system seems to keep fresh and doesn't seem to lose performance over fragmentation as NTFS does. Although I don't know the exact technical reasons, I know this as a fact from first hand experience. I have installed, removed many large programs and virtual machines on my Ubuntu in the last month, and it still runs as good. (Probably over 20 GB of data was swapped)

A lot less risk against malware and viruses. I haven't installed any anti-malware or antivirus programs in Ubuntu, and I don't think I will in the near future. I guess people just don't bother writing malicious software for Linux. It was impossible for me to keep virus-free in Windows, even though I always installed products from Symantec, Avira, AVG and a host of others. I think these companies will be in trouble when more people start using Linux :)

Even if malicious code does get in your Ubuntu PC, it will only have the rights of your regular user, not being able to modify the ciritical parts which need root access. Altough you are advised to do the same under Windows, I never got myself to do it on a regular basis. In contrast, I got used to "sudo" command pretty quickly and it's a lot less naggy than the Vista or Win7 "Are you sure you want this? Are you sure you want that? You are an idiot aren't you?" sort of ongoing pop-up abuse from the OS.

I tried other Linux distros, but Ubuntu was by far the easiest to use in my experience. I barely read any instructions and dove right in without much of a problem. Whenever I had an issue, a simple search on these forums or on the internet was enough to solve it.

Although I also use some proprietary software, most of the code I run on my PC now is open-source! (Including the OS! What??) This gives me great peace of mind... I can really look into the code to see if anything fishy is going on, or fix or change stuff if I ever feel like it. I'm not great programmer, but I'm "literate" in C, Java and PHP, so I can make small modifications or just read through the code to educate myself about the programmer's approach. This alone opens up a whole new world for users like me who have been "kept in the dark" for so long. I just find the fact too good to be true, but it definitely is :) (me slaps meself to beleive it)

All in all, I'm very happy with Ubuntu, and I would advise Ubuntu strongly to everyone and especially Windows users. If you need to run Windows for work like me, you can easily do it on a Virtual Machine such as Virtual Box and VMWare (Yes, both are free or have free versions that run on Ubuntu). If anything goes wrong (like it always does), just ditch your crippled Windoze and restore a snapshot of a fresh install! I don't think you would ever need Windows for everyday work or personal use. The only part left for Windows seems to be hardcore gaming, which I'm not really into.

I would like to thank the Ubuntu community for producing such a great product with such an unbelievable price tag! (None) I hope I can also contribute some code in the future :) I will be glad to help any newbies like me who plan to make the move and try Ubuntu for themselves.

Regards,

Tolga

gemmakaru
April 4th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I am fairly confident that as of January, yes I have. Of course at work I have no choice as I am a windows developer.

prule
April 6th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I've been completely on Ubuntu for a couple of years. Since 6.x I think. I love it. Thanks Linux people.

I'm not a gamer, but it sounds like things are getting better on that front:

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7745/1.html

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2010/03/indie-gamers-see-linux-market.html

http://www.elecorn.com/caster3d/

http://www.penumbragame.com/game.php

http://2dboy.com/games.php

Scibax
April 6th, 2010, 12:47 AM
I used to be a big gamer back in the 90's in my more carefree US Army years. In this day and age, I just play the occasional game here and there. A reliable and secure OS is far more important to me than the ability to play all of the games available from the local Wal-Mart and Game Stop. Windows, including Windows 7, is simply to prone to hijacking by malware. The prevalence of trojan downloaders hidden in Active X applications is enough to try one's last nerve. I first began using Linux in the late 90's, though never used it for my main OS until much later. I have been a mainly Linux user for the past several years now (2007 and forward). The only time I run a Windows session now is from inside Virtual Box. I can still play many of the more popular games through Wine or even direct Linux ports, so not much lost leaving Windows behind. One thing I enjoy about Linux is that beautiful nostalgic DOS feeling when using the CLI. Those were the days when computing was fun and could actually be a true hobby. These days, there are a lot of lamers out there and everything is so commercial. Linux is not overly commercial and still has that community feel to it. There is even a scene just the like the good old C= days. Hope everyone is enjoying it as much as I am.

The Thunder Chimp
April 6th, 2010, 12:56 AM
My complete switch to Linux was rather funny. I used to have a Windows 7 partition, but it crashed, and now it's impossible to open. So basically, Windows has left me completely before I could leave it completely... ):P

J V
April 6th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I use linux 90% of the time, the other 10% I'm asleep :)

mathspeedy
April 6th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I've installed Linux on my computer when I received my laptop
(Dell studio 1735).
And since that moment I've never used Windows.

themarker0
April 6th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Livezilla. Its holding me back. :(

marcellux
April 6th, 2010, 02:00 AM
I tried ubuntu a long ago and it did not convince me, I kept using XP. I bought a new machine with vista on it... I started using a dual boot. then i stopped using vista until I realized I was wasting disk space and then I just made a clean UBUNTU installation! Now I got XP just in the virtualBox to test some things. when it comes to games, I use executable files with wine! i am not missing windows at all and I cannot wait till the new release 10.04!!!!!!!

The Thunder Chimp
April 6th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I use linux 90% of the time, the other 10% I'm asleep :)

:lolflag: awesome, love your attitude!

WindowlessHouse
April 6th, 2010, 03:36 AM
I went to Linux over three years ago, and I have since told my employer that I won't use Windows again, not even to save my job, as it wasn't worth my health. I was always angry with it. The employer has been quite accommodating. Games do not belong on my computer, but I do still use DOS for a few things in my work.

ranch hand
April 6th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I went to Linux over three years ago, and I have since told my employer that I won't use Windows again, not even to save my job, as it wasn't worth my health. I was always angry with it. The employer has been quite accommodating. Games do not belong on my computer, but I do still use DOS for a few things in my work.
Yup, I knew 3 days into using Vista it had to go or I would have a stroke. MSDos was the last really good thing MS put out.

pbrugs
April 6th, 2010, 03:47 AM
I wish i could only use Linux, However I have had problems with youtube flash videos on it(Not too much anymore tho.:D)and I need my windows partition for steam games.(Wine has never really worked for me)

factotum218
April 6th, 2010, 04:51 AM
As much as I'd like to completely switch, I'm stuck with a dual boot due to hardware and Acer being a bunch of nimrods.

For some reason my only system, a laptop (Acer Aspire 6530) can't run a virtual system. I've gotten virtualbox installed, gotten as far as booting the XP disk, and then BANG! Frozen system. I've had the laptop for about a year and give it a go now and then, but it never works out.

As far as I know the processor AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-82 supports virtual systems, but there is no setting in the BIOS for turning it on or off. Heck, I can't even get a rt (real time) kernel to boot up.

So until I can afford a new system, I'm stuck with dual boot.

ubun2warrior
April 6th, 2010, 04:56 AM
there are a few things due to which i have to use windows; coreldraw, tally, mts mblaze and few more such products that work only on windows. Otherwise i use ubuntu.