PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Elie-M
December 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM
only games with windows. I play WoW. and sometimes for some media (video, audio)..

everything else is on ubuntu, unlimited horizons, unlimited power, stability, cool OS. windows is the shittiest operating system I've ever used and I'm saying that after 9 years of using windows, from win dos, 95,98,ME,NT server 2000 and 2003 and advanced editions,XP,Vista,win7. just absolute ****.

snakeman21
December 18th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Five years ago, a thread was started on ubuntuforums.com.

You are reading that very thread.

coffeeandlinux
December 18th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I just started using Linux about a month ago. So far so good. A friend of mine gave me an old Dell Precision 530 so I though I would venture into trying out Linux. Have not touched my mac since.

AICollector
December 19th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I have!

I gave up on PC Gaming a long time ago (it broke my heart to see those lovely new games made my PC look like a museum piece)

I just got a console instead :D

Mind you, with WINE, I can still go on STEAM and play Garry's Mod :D

scion xd
December 19th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I switched to Ubuntu five month ago. during that time i converted seven people to linux.

Jon2288
December 19th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I have not completely switched over, only reason is because of not being fully versed in linux commands and software, which will come with time, and gaming.

Once they start making games for linux natively (big name titles like MF2, TF2, HL2, CS:S, etc) I will switch in a heartbeat. You can not argue with the price!

levymichel
December 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I am still using XP vista, mainly for
- vpn cisco (the vpn client does not work on linux )
- tomtom home for GPS (only on windows and mac)
- life scan management (for the diabetes)
But professionally I prefer ubuntu.

El Viejo Lobo
December 19th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

Long long time ago I left only Ubuntu on my laptop. Now I have one machine with windows XP just for the use of Majikjack, It is a pain in the neck I will look for other VOIP phone to get read of Windows. I trid Win 7 and it wasleft aside for Ubuntu.

zero7404
December 22nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
ubuntu should not be the 'staple' to affix to the Linux name. just like everything that's 'free' in this world, it either comes with goodies left out or non-existant support or both.

but since ubuntu's developers have chosen to move into the jetstream of people that typically use a mac or PC, it's inevitable that it will come under fire due to both the reasons i mention above.

this statement comes from my personal experiences with both the platform and the so-called 'support' in this forum. this forum goes down in my history as one of the 2 worst i have ever used for insight. the admins and power-users here reading this should know that there are a lot more genuinely caring people on a volkswagen or bmw forum than there ever will be here. that's sad.

i will never promote ubuntu as Linux, but rather another flavor that's anxiously vying to steal the thunder of windows and mac OS and not doing so great....

penbeuz
December 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Completely switched on my wife's laptop (scratched pre-installed W$ without even trying)
Dual boot on my desktop only because of eve-online game that runs on wine but crashes from time to time :(

liedele
December 22nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
I completely switched my Home Desktop over in July 2009, after my xp partition got hosed by malware. Have vista on my work desktop.

DarkLilith
December 22nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
I have my laptop partitioned with Vista until I feel completely comfortable with Ubuntu. It is a little unnerving to switch from something you've been used to since using computers, even though I am exceedingly displeased with Windows. Planning to fully switch sometime in 2010 lol.

cake nom nom
December 22nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
got full ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop

going to try to dual boot on my custom built gaming pc we'll see how it goes\\:D/

recluce
December 23rd, 2009, 01:13 AM
(pointless ranting and venting deleted)

What a heap of rubbish, sorry.

I find the forum very helpful for anybody who is able to do a forum search first. Quite understandably, nobody feels inclined to answer a question that has been answered a 1000 times before.

I wish you happiness with whatever operating system will better suit you.

yester64
December 23rd, 2009, 01:23 AM
What a heap of rubbish, sorry.

I find the forum very helpful for anybody who is able to do a forum search first. Quite understandably, nobody feels inclined to answer a question that has been answered a 1000 times before.

I wish you happiness with whatever operating system will better suit you.

Yes, i feel the same.
This forum is great and one of the best i have seen so far.
Everyone is helpful and it is for me at least always a joy to check first this forum before i do anything else.

greyXXgeist
December 23rd, 2009, 03:02 AM
I have a dual boot set up on my machine. I've had it set up for about three weeks now and have barley used windows. The dual boot works slick. Ubuntu is great! Anyone trolling this site wondering if they should try it and make the switch from windows should. I wish I had done it a long time ago. I tried an early version of Suse years ago and kind of liked it, I always had trouble setting up peripherals.

tim1980
December 23rd, 2009, 03:09 AM
yep I deleted Windows a long time ago

Only Ubuntu based OS's for all my computers

pepe machine
December 23rd, 2009, 06:21 AM
my newly bought laptop is meant for linux...
ubuntu on my 320g hdd.... ^_^

SchizmWolf
December 23rd, 2009, 06:53 AM
Just last week I completely removed windows and dedicated my lappy to Kubuntu 9.04 after having had 9.10 on a vbox for about half a year. Couldn't be happier; computer runs faster, I don't have to deal with windows ********, and I can tweak to my heart's content.

AndThenWhat
December 23rd, 2009, 07:24 AM
I've been completely switched for like a year and a half except for the sad fact that I have an iPod touch and must sync it through VirtualBox.

RazorV
December 23rd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Let's say I'm 90% there. I saw Ubuntu in action at Starbucks about 1.5 months ago. I about fell back in my seat seeing the visual effects and the unbelievable speed in which Ubuntu was launching apps, changing work spaces and then the 3D cube came up on this visitors screen. My mouth dropped open.

The next day at work, I cleared off my 2nd SATA HDD in my HP 9600 notebook and downloaded/installed Ubuntu 64. WOW - talk about FAST! Microsoft could only wish for speed and stability like this.

So then I went out and purchased a $500 SSD (Solid State Drive) and placed it as my primary drive in my notebook, installed Ubuntu and it is now my primary OS on my notebook with VirtualBox running Offiec 2007.

You want to see Ubuntu fast? Go invest in an SSD if you can afford it. You cannot even imagine how fast Ubuntu is! From GRUB to Desktop - 10 Seconds! YES 10 Seconds and I'm sitting at my desktop, connected to my network wirelessly.

I do have Vista on my second HDD and only boot into it when I need to do some very serious stuff in InDesign, Photoshop, Flash Pro.

I'm currently looking into running these on WINE. But I do have a Video rendering app that has my wedding on it and I must use that on Vista (PowerDirector) when creating a DVD from the project.

Other than that, I am in Ubuntu 99% of the time! Currently looking into trying to get Outlook to run in Ubuntu64 but not having much success. I'd say that the only thing missing from Ubuntu is a true Outlook "type" integration to Exchange Server. Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers to the Developers and everyone that has helped create an Outstanding OS that just BLOWS Microsoft to Pieces!

Greg
Sarasota, FL

aklo
December 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
As a gamer it is impossible to completely switch to linux!!
Not until blizzard supports linux Diablo 3 / Starcraft 2???

Also a few things from stopping me to switch over completely or i would have done so...

User3k
December 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
I switched completely. There are many 3D (FPS type) games for Linux, paid and free. If I want a game that is Windows based I will see if it runs in Wine first then get it.

I am one of those people that is willing to wait it out. I have seen how much improvement there has been with games in Linux over the last ten years. I have also seen the huge advancements that many times Linux has before Windows picks up on it or clones it, (or tries to copy it.)

I have four choices for Windows right now.

1 - I could use XP until 2014 when the security updates end.
2 - I could use Vista
3 - I could use Windows 7 Ultimate Evaluation until June 2010
4 - I could buy Windows 7

1= Not really an option. XP is so outdated it is almost physically painful for me to use.

2=What is even more painful then using the outdated XP is using Vista. Need I say more on that? LOL

3= Not really crazy about Windows 7. It is ok but it is simplistic and boring. Plus MS has always taken so long to update security risks. Not like Linux or Ubuntu.

4= Won't buy it. After they ripped me off with Vista, the supposed advanced, great and stable OS of the future. They are not getting any more money from me.

So for stability, ease of use, something modern and advanced I choose Linux only these days. My two favorites are Xubuntu and OpenSuse right now. But that changes every now and then.

Mister JBee
December 23rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
Previously I always use Windows start from 95 up to XP. But around half year I buy notebook with Vista on a board. :confused: So... Now I use Ubuntu. I am not a gammer. So Ubuntu almost covered all aspects of my life. I use NetBeans, VirtualBox for developing and Gimp, Inkspace and Syngfing for multimedia. Audicity for audio editor and kDenlive for video. I have several problems with my video card but it is ok I am just novice. Oh yes and also: Skype,Open Office (better PDF suport), Dia Diagrams (for UML), Chrome + Earth+Picasa from google. ... nothing forget, hope ... :popcorn:

jayze
December 23rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Give me 24hours!:P

epicoder
December 23rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
I would be completely switched if I could get wine to work with Halo... I got it to work with steam, but that's about it. This is a long shot, but I'm ultimately hoping to get Halo running with the steam overlay all through wine.

tcchris
December 23rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
I completely switch , after vista crashed the last time .
I don't miss windows , personally .
I thought gamers had left windows for ps3 and xbox ?
Been windowless since gutsy

bubbabear
December 24th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I used Xenix alot in the 1980s and early 90s on a few business computers and never paid much attention to it after that. I switched one notebook computer completely to linux. We have too many networked media devices that are hungry for windows. Especially Tivo and thats a linux device.

exsecrare
December 24th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I would, but i still use XP but the P2K software i use to mod my cellphones is windows only and i'm not familiar with any of the Linux software.

Rod J
December 24th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I've played around with Linux many times over the years. First distro I tried was Red Hat 6.4 back in 2000, then later on Mandrake, and now I'm multi-booting XP, Win7 RC and Ubuntu 9.04. Linux has really come on leaps and bounds from when I first tried it. For instance: in Win XP my ancient TV card works (just) but it is very inclined to cause BSOD's. I can't get it working in Win7 at all (can't find suitable drivers for it). The other day I thought I'd try to get it working in Jaunty and downloaded and installed TVtime. Wow! what a revelation! It runs and looks far better than it does in XP and is rock steady. Recently installed my favourite browser (Google Chrome Linux version) and that's another plus for me.

I'm also a bit of a gamer so running games in Linux is a concern. But I'm finding Wine can run some quite demanding games very well in Jaunty. I'm very pleased also that Nexuiz has a native Linux executable and it runs probably better in Linux than XP.

So, I'm finding myself booting up Jaunty most of the time these days and enjoying it immensely. Only gripes I have are that standby/hibernate refuse to work and my Lexmark Z513 printer is a paperweight.

OK ... update ... finally got my printer working using the Z600 printer driver. Thanks to the Ubuntu 'How To' here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=49714
Much thanks to black hole sun et al.

I could go Windows free before much longer ...

opengl_cpp
December 24th, 2009, 01:49 PM
well, i started to work with linux when i read a book about it about 9 month ago.

At first i was really scared of it, because i thought it would crash my system or kill my data on my partitions. so i dedicated a mere 5 gig to ubuntu 8.04.

but i found it amazing:KS, and also it wasn't too hard to be absorbed by linux. now my whole system is dedicated to linux (ubuntu) and there is no sign of vindoz 0$.

here in linux you can enjoy shear freedom and i think it is by far more flixable than any vindoz 0$.

i have no problem with my hardware and drivers, and i can app i need in software center or some special website. even easier than vindoz. :)

jSalv
December 24th, 2009, 01:55 PM

The only things that keep me in Windows is the screen-recording (Ubuntu doesn't really handle that), Video-editing, sound recording, music producing and gaming.

charlier653
December 24th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Been getting my feet wet with Ubuntu since 6.06. Have messed with all distros since then off and on. Now have 9.10 installed as my only OS for now, since my winblows extra crunchy (XP) ate itself.

Now, if I could figure out how to get wine working.......I'll have my TW08 & WoW back!

Ubuntu has come a VERY long way, just since 6.06 and I'm liking it more every day!

In short, I may have installed windows for the very last time last year.

halovivek
December 24th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Myself...
windows yes--in office..

aspiredfang
December 24th, 2009, 02:45 PM
It was either upgrading to Windows 7 or going *nix. I wholly feel the right move was made :guitar:

So far, everything I could do in Windows can be done in Linux in a more comfortable, reliable and speedier fashion. My ONLY gripe so far is not being able to get my fave game of all time, Sacrifice working under WINE yet although I know it's only a mere matter of learning more about WINE.

Thank you Ubuntu people for making the transition for long term Window$ to Linux comfortable, much respect

mamamia88
December 24th, 2009, 03:00 PM
too all the pc gamers out there what is stopping you from just investing in a ps3 or an xbox 360? seriously i find gaming on my couch much more comfortable than gaming at a computer desk anyway. and i haven't found a comfortable way to play pc games lieing down with a keyboard on my lap

exXP
December 24th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I hung on to XP for a long time, even though I routinely used the current Ubuntu, for the Mail Address List Labelling program in WordPerfect. However two years ago XP died on me and could not be re-installed successfully. Since then I have found the somewhat complicated way of doing mail labels using Open Office. This gives a better final result than WordPerfect eventually.
exXP (and won't go back)

psb6m
December 24th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I just remembered that this was my tenth anniversary year of Linux use, and reconstructed the chronology. So:

1999 Installed Red Hat 5.2, dual-booting with Windows 95.

1999 Updated to Red Hat 6.0, letting go of Windows partition.

... Continued with Red Hat till 2003, when it was discontinued.

2003 Installed Fedora

2004 (I think) switched to Gentoo after having difficulties resolving some problems with Fedora.

2005 Gentoo/Gnome broke, could not get it going again without complete reinstall. Installed Ubuntu "Dapper Drake."

I should mention that my wife is a happy Ubuntu user too, though she's also happy for me to be the sysadmin.

We maintain a machine with Windows XP for the kids to game on. I also use a MacBook Pro supplied by my workplace, but I spend about half my time on that machine running Ubuntu (in the indispensible VirtualBox).

So: very happy Linux user for ten years and counting!

ranch hand
December 24th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I hung on to XP for a long time, even though I routinely used the current Ubuntu, for the Mail Address List Labelling program in WordPerfect. However two years ago XP died on me and could not be re-installed successfully. Since then I have found the somewhat complicated way of doing mail labels using Open Office. This gives a better final result than WordPerfect eventually.
exXP (and won't go back)
While I am not completely sure what you are doing exactly with your labeling I think you should take a look at "glabel" in the repos.

amandaG
December 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM
This is awesome, and I'm not being a valley girl here. The original post is from 2004 asking how many of us have completely switched to Linux. Seeing posts up until about 14 hours ago on Christmas Eve is very exciting. I love Linux and have been using it exclusively at home on several computers, the only ones I use on my network at home, for almost 2 years now. In fact when my ISP updated my DSL modem and I called them when my network went down, I was asked whether I used Winders or Mac. I've known for a while to tell them I use Winders because if you say Linux, you will be told that the OS is not supported. But if you answer Winders, they will help you. So I just translated the winders instructions into what I'd do on Linux, no prob. But the last time I needed to call was so long ago that I couldn't remember how to use Winders!!! It's pretty funny, but in a few minutes over the phone with the ISP, I was able to dust of the winders cobwebs and get it done. All the while, the ISP agent kept saying that she couldn't verify my OS :D

I'm so glad that everyone here is using Linux exclusively or nearly exclusively and continuing to post. There are so many winders people who want something better and it's nice to know that there is recent information that they can read on these posts in case they (winders people) are thinking of changing.

Another thing, I've never found so much, or so much readily available support on an operating system as I've found on Ubuntu forums. I've been using Slackware, SuSE, and RedHat, but never found so much detailed and working solutions as I've found for Ubunutu.

Thank you all for helping me on my journey to become an intermediate Linux user! I'm now attending tech college for an associate degree in Linux/UNIX. I've switched from Chemistry because a career in Linux is so much fun!

Thanks,
Amanda

Weldrin
December 25th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I am just about to start using ubuntu :) so i have to keep my windows 7 somehow in my pc. but i am very eager to learn something new since i have been using windows since the very first day i touched a computer. somehow i have to give credit to windows for that but just like any human being u have to expand ur horizon and meet new people (OS?) and grow. I'd love to try mac someday but for now one step at a time. dont get me wrong i am now a computer geek haha i just wanna explore since tech living is moving forward i dont wanna be left behind. what really made up my mind to finally try linux or ubunto that is is the idea of customization. :)i love to personalize my stuff. and i have been doing that to every windows OS version i dealt with but most of the time they caused me greater problems. I hope linux would not fail me on this one. POLYGAMY in OS is not a crime hence an act of being human-to be as knowledgeable as possible.

loudog23
December 25th, 2009, 05:53 PM
There are so many winders people who want something better and it's nice to know that there is recent information that they can read on these posts in case they (winders people) are thinking of changing.

lately i realized that most of my friend using Windows are getting sick of it. Mostly because (like they say) Windows 'Think's' he is intelligent.
More and more friend are asking me about linux.
:guitar:

mamamia88
December 25th, 2009, 05:56 PM
am using windows 7 starter on my netbook and on a dualboot on my laptop

julianb
December 25th, 2009, 06:26 PM
i am posting from mac osX. guess i have not completely switched to linux.

(i spend the largest amount of computing time in windows... because at my job i use a database program that won't run in wine.)

markbabc
December 25th, 2009, 06:55 PM
i just completely switched to ubuntu 9.10 on my little netbook mainly because windows 7 pissed me off just as much as vista (and the key that i used was going to expire and i was to lazy to look for another one online) im not a gamer and i just love how ubuntu works and how cool i can make it look. but im still running win xp on my desktop because thats the only version of windows that i can stand and it only has 150something MB of ram and cant even run the live cd of ubuntu 9.04 or 9.10. so for now i guess im still stuck with windows partially untill i get an upgrade

husskii
December 26th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Im almost there, still have a lot more learning to do, but hey you dnt learn if u dnt practice ;)

I know have a ubuntu server 9.04 LAMP server
and then I have another pc running proxmox with openvz
on that I have debain 5 setup for practice
also have centOS 5 on 1 vm also setup for practice as I would like to move my LAMP of ubuntu..

and have ubuntu 9.10 and 8.04 on another 2vm's just so I can learn the nitty gritty without wrecking my main LAMP server.

and looking at installing fedora and what ever else comes my way as I read and learn lol...

and yes shamefully I still use windows 7 but not for long...
or maybe I will keep that running on a vm, because I get asked for support on windows quiet alot..

But yea I wish I discovered linux when I first started using pc's, god knows how advanced I would be now :D

SydneyGB
December 26th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I'm a relative newbie Ubuntu user - started playing with Linux in July. :) I'm still dual-booting. :/ On my old desktop, I have Win 98 and a Wubi Xubuntu Intrepid. I haven't set up the scanner on my printer/scanner with Ubuntu, so for the moment Windows survives there. :) On my new laptop I have Vista/Ubuntu Jaunty. I have yet to get Ubuntu to play nicely with the wireless network card, so when I'm not working where I can plug in, I boot to Vista. I regularly use VirtualBox to use Ubuntu from within Vista, though.

The games aspect is another thing. I have yet to find a MUSH client that does spawn windows and runs in Ubuntu. SimpleMU* is my client of choice, and Wine runs it So. Very. Slowly. So I use Vista for most of my MUSHing, and for other games I'm running.

artistxe
December 26th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I tried installing xubuntu side by side with windows and (oops) removed windows in 2007.
Never went back or wanted to.

Danimoth
December 26th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I 'd say 99%. Occasionally, i have an assignment that requires some windows-only program. Since i cannot be sure that wine will run them, i have an old(not very old, about 3 year-old) computer with windows around for those rare cases.

I remembered i used it 2 semesters ago because i needed autocad.

Objekt
December 26th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I'm at least 90% switched. Kubuntu 9.04 64-bit is where I do almost everything, such as email, web browsing, watching videos, you name it.

I'm still ironing out a few issues. For one, I have a printer for which no Linux drivers exist. Hosting it on a virtual XP machine running on Virtualbox under Kubuntu 9.04 might work, but until I get that hashed out, I'm stuck rebooting into XP when I want to print or scan.

There is also one game, Oblivion, for which I pretty much have to reboot into XP. It's less hassle to dual-boot than to try to get it working in Wine, and put up with the reduced performance and quirks of running it in Wine.

So, I keep my XP install around for those two things, but most of the time I use Kubuntu.

ThinkBaz
December 26th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Any one who does switch, you better have some bug repellent.

new2ubuntu
December 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I still do some things in windows, but I have been mostly linux since 2000.

I still need windows for DVD related stuff and games rarely.

trellis2
December 27th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I have a lot of old "1998 BIOS" computers that have been running damn small linux but everything else is ubuntu: 3 multi-cores dual booting 9.04 & 9.10. Still booting xp on the office computer, and a virtual Window7 on another. Any body know a way around old bios???

Autodave
December 28th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I have all of my 7 machines running Linux except for one and I will not go back to Winblows. The one that is still running Winblows is running Win 98SE and is only used for audio recording and copying CDs, so I have just left it alone. If it ever crashes, it will get switched, too. Even my ASUS 900 runs EEEbuntu without any problems at all.

crantok
December 28th, 2009, 12:57 AM
In the last ten years I tried Red Hat (once) and Suse (twice) but nothing stuck until I tried Xubuntu this year, probably because I still needed Windows for development when I made those earlier attempts. I switching back to windows for watching video (Ubuntu doesn't seem to like my graphics hardware) and for odd little apps I find on the net that have been developed for windows.

bryanlee1981
December 28th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Linux only for me. I can run XP in a VM when necessary. Dreamweaver was my only real reason for holding onto xp, but that works in Wine just fine.

gusteman
December 28th, 2009, 11:34 AM
After my Win98SE had been infected with the famous Trojan "about_blank" I switched over, at first to Mozilla Firefox, and the next step was of course (in May 2007) to go to Ubuntu (7.04 Feisty Fawn). I currently run 8.04 on my Dell Optiplex GX1 (256Mb RAM, Pentium III 450Mhz) which is in fact a quite slow machine. Nevertheless it gets me everywhere I want to be on the Internet. As a complete rookie where it concerns software I sometimes have to undertake a real search to find solutions for my problems, but I always get there, no matter how hard the task might be. I still have a copy of Win98SE on a local machine, which I kept for working with my Canon camera. Well, the machine hasn't run for about one and a half years, but since it isn't in my way, I just keep it hanging there.
As some members already stated: Window gives me the creaps and most of all a feeling of insecurity. And last but not least: I am rid of that Microsoft-way of forbidding me to perform certain actions. I just hate it when a machine (or software) tells me: YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DO THIS !!
Ubuntu just tells me: what you are about to do might cause some problems afterwords, but I am still in charge, and that's the way I like it.
To all the Linux-users all around the world: a Merry X-mas and a Happy New Year!

rva1945
December 28th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Everything I did in WXP has its counterpart in Ubuntu (documents, sheets, graphics, Internet, even the only "game" I enjoy, Flightgear).

But I think I will completely switch to Linux when I can run Visual Foxpro.

As a newcomer, I didn't have time to try Wine. Will I be able to run any WXP app successfully?

Ghost-1-0-1
December 28th, 2009, 04:49 PM
ME...just 3days ago wow..i stil dual boot but only reason to is for gaming......but so everything works on ubuntu superbly....

sbelz79
December 28th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Windows completely died on me back in September and decided to go for a full install of Ubuntu instead of re-installing Windows. Despite some speedbumps along the way (including mistakenly installing a bad package that caused me to have to reinstall Ubuntu), I have yet to regret my decision to ditch Windows. Is Ubuntu without its frustrations? No. But show me an operating system without any problems, and I'll wake you up 'cause you're dreaming. Or maybe you've got a Mac. But the fact that I don't have to worry about it being infected by viruses or succumbing to the forces of entropy within months of a fresh install is worth the trouble. Honestly, I find all the troubleshooting that comes with Ubuntu kind of fun.

margazhang
December 29th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I have! However, since my wife has to run Simply Accounting for Windows, I install Windows inside Ubuntu via VirtualBox just for that on desktop computers at work and home.

judge jankum
December 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM
For anyone that has been around since win95 and the blue screens.....Ubuntu is a piece of cake....

jebasan
December 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I'm using Ubunto for 2+ yrs now and i don't miss at all windows. my only problem is because i'm finishing my course and the school had web access that used to work in kinux but now they have changed to "web desk top" and is only working with an .exe. file installed on windows. I have asked them about linux and those "geek squad" from school have no idea what i'm talking about.
I don't regret the switch, though!
this is the only reason that i still have windows, not for long! graduation is a semester alway!

probin51
December 29th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I moved.

Muttley99
December 29th, 2009, 11:29 PM
XP is a very good OS! The main problem with Linux;

If you don't know basic linux commands i.e. mount/umount etc - it doesn't work for the average person.

XP just works BUT if you want an OS tailored to your needs Linux is far better and with Gnome, KDE its reasonably easy to use.
Personally, I much prefer Kubuntu!=D>

Vadimus
December 29th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I did.

:guitar:

begush
December 30th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I was traveling for work and had a live disk to tinker with. XP crashed hard, there was no hope. I backed up my files with the live disk, then took the plunge...

I haven't looked back since.

I crusade for linux, the way xtians push for Jesus.

The power of linux compels you!

SeaJayEmm
December 30th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I have been using Linux distros on all of my machines since 2002. Never will I go back to a Windows os. When I buy a new laptop I immediately put Linux on it.

Nibaini
December 30th, 2009, 06:11 PM
3 things keep me using xp on my laptop(however ubuntu is my main OS for everything else so i use my laptop very little):

my canon i850 printer.

no video editor that handles titles and audio track overlays that i have gotten to work yet. i tried kino, its really great, but no titles or audio overlay. i am thinking of creating cinerellia deb packages when i get that to work, just have not had the time.

alsa is not supported on my sound card(cause it sucks) so i use audacity on my win machine. this will be remidied when i get a new comp as i will purchase a creative labs audigy line card(which is supported in alsa so i can do sound recording).

the games thing is moot at this point for me because ut2004 is native linux and war3 run great in cedega. WOW runs good in cedega and if i ever want to play HL2 that will be supported better in the future. i mostly play blizzard titles, neverwinter nights(linux ported) and ut2004 and free games like frozen bubble.

i think over time my problems will diminish, the video editor problem will go away as kino gets more features or as i get another program working well. games will eventually be ported to linux in greater number and my printer..... well we shall see on that one.

I have completely switched to linux.

Have you tried Kdenlive? its a good replacement, It seem to me like vegas video pro.

xuCGC002
December 30th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I crusade for linux, the way xtians push for Jesus.

Please... Don't do that...

Anywho, I don't run Windows on my computer, with the exception of Neptune hanging out in a VM.

gnomme
December 30th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I think that we need to take the best of the two worlds...no radicalisms needed

ranch hand
December 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I think that we need to take the best of the to worlds...no radicalisms needed
I think I agree with you but what 2 worlds are you referring to?

If one is MS, I ran that dog into the ground for years and do not and did not really see a "best" to it at all. There is a lot of dumbed down so idiots can use it "features" but these just make it tough to get any performance out of it.

Mac I know nothing about, there well may be a "best" there.

gnomme
December 30th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I think I agree with you but what 2 worlds are you referring to?

If one is MS, I ran that dog into the ground for years and do not and did not really see a "best" to it at all. There is a lot of dumbed down so idiots can use it "features" but these just make it tough to get any performance out of it.

Mac I know nothing about, there well may be a "best" there.
shame on me...forgoted the MAC world!! I now say the best of three worlds!
I do not agree with you...sorry! Its pure extremism!

drlmg
December 31st, 2009, 03:13 AM
I hate Windows so bad that anything I can't run on Ubuntu I simply don't use. I have been happily using Ubuntu (exclusively)for about a year now. If I were to legally obtain MS software compatible to the FREE linux software I currently have and use I would be out thousands of dollars (well over 10k).

So far, the only thing I cannot do on Ubuntu that I could on MS is create and edit *.swf flash files. My work around for this is a portable version of Macromedia Flash Pro running with WINE.

In short, I LOVE Ubuntu. 9.10 for me is the best version yet, everything works great on all my laptops and towers with no fixes needed. If MS were free and Ubuntu was not I would BUY Ubuntu, so I don't like it based on the fact that it is free although that is a plus.

Thanks to all that make Linux and Ubuntu possible!!

m0o
December 31st, 2009, 03:50 AM
I really get the Kubuntu blues when I'm in a Windows or OSX environment. I completely rely on my GNU/Linux OS for everything.

simpleblue
December 31st, 2009, 09:37 AM
I think that we need to take the best of the to worlds...no radicalisms needed
I've switched over completely and I think sometimes being radical is what is necessary to push a good thing to get better. If we are constantly relying on Windows for so many things we begin to forget about improving Linux. We are like a baby refusing to walk because mom and dad are doing all the work for us and we just have to sit there.

This is not to say that you 'need' to fully convert. That's your choice. As for me, I am a community person and NOT a corporation victim. Windows has enough support. I'll invest in Linux.

gnomme
December 31st, 2009, 10:01 AM
this is a long philosofic issue...Everyone has the wright to have an opinion and to choose what OS they prefer...
I am an IT professional and like to apply to each case each appropriate solution. If its a web server....Linux; its a desktop...Windows; its a graphical design workstation...OSX...

One thing is certain, there are no unique or no perfect solution for all the situations. So why not to be open minded :confused:

TironN
December 31st, 2009, 10:38 AM
One day I will upgrade my soundcard so that I can happily game and be free of my Windows oppressors!

premamotion
December 31st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Erased Windows... erased games... erased all the partitions... I`m happy with Ubuntu... and the sound for me remains the big problem (recording only... playing works like charm).

gnomme
December 31st, 2009, 11:12 AM
One day I will upgrade my soundcard so that I can happily game and be free of my Windows oppressors!
It seems to me that the opressor isn't windows...why does your linux distribution doesn't bring all the drivers you need?

rcayea
December 31st, 2009, 04:50 PM
My update is, of my three hard drives, two used to be Losedows. I have made a slight jump to the complete switch: now I have one hd with XP, one with Mandriva (for fiddling and making a mess of linux) and one with my beloved Ubuntu. I am waiting until I can with 100% certainty play the games I want to play on Linux before I chuck XP.

Dracona
December 31st, 2009, 07:31 PM
I have left windows almost completely. as far as gaming goes, i am finding WINE to be very helpful and easier then ever to run windows based games. while it wont 100% of windows games, it will run a huge amount of them, with a little tweaking here and there.

as of now, i have Return to castle wolfenstein, Wolfensein, Dragon Age Origins, and CoD Modern Warfare 2 installed, all but RTCW was installed through steam via wine, RTCW was installed directly from the cd via wine.

of the 4 games listed, 3 of them are running 100% except for CoD, wich i just finished downloading, I have yet to try it out.
as baad as i hate to say it, i do have a Virtual Box with win xp installed, but i use it only for Itunes, since santa was nice enough to bring my son an I-pod touch. i have installed Itunes 9.02 in Wine, but it wont run, says something about a bad install.

Do i miss windows? NO!
will i ever go back to windows? if i do, it will be only to play the yet to be released starwars MMo.

majickmann
December 31st, 2009, 08:45 PM
Guess I'll put in my two cents worth...

Of the six nodes at home, only one has a MS windows product. My wife's pc is the single hold out. But, she has been in transition to Ubuntu and is just about ready. She is using Ubuntu on her laptop.

Even at work we use Ubuntu and RHEL.

Happy New Year!!!
:-)

--majickmann

jonathonblake
December 31st, 2009, 10:29 PM
I got as laptop for Christmas, which had Win7 installed on it.

I configured it to dual boot. It did boot correctly. when I wanted Ubuntu.
It also booted Windows correctly, the first time I booted that up.
(I have to have Win7 on it, for the hardware warranty to remain in effect.)
When I rebooted the system --- after properly closing it down --- something was trashed. (The specific error message is "No bootable devices found")

It does boot up, using a Live CD. Still, I've been strongly encouraged to send it back as "defective hardware".

jonathon

fancypiper
December 31st, 2009, 10:35 PM
Could it be a grub problem?
How to restore Grub from a live Ubuntu cd (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351)

Pogeymanz
December 31st, 2009, 11:31 PM
I totally wiped Windows about half-way through 2007. That was about 6 months into my Linux adventure.

I have only ever missed Windows when I realized that I couldn't watch Netflix movies online, which is still kind of sad for me. But it's totally worth it.

soryu
December 31st, 2009, 11:42 PM
:guitar: completely switched 3 months ago.
dual boot XP ,Jaunty worked ok.
reinstalled jaunty full disk worked better.
upgraded to Karmic.

PartsMan
December 31st, 2009, 11:44 PM
I recently dumped XP off of my laptop.:)
Now both of my Personal computer are Xubuntu 9.10.

The more I use Linux the more I hate messing with windows at work.
Set up virtual box on my work pc to calm me down during breaks.

The wife still has Vista on her laptop.:confused:

HobbitTR
January 1st, 2010, 05:41 PM
I started with Fedora Core about 5 years ago and have been using Ubuntu from the start. I am now a 3 laptop Ubuntu user, my wife has a Sony Vaio and it was the trickiest to keep running (due to the Intel video drivers not Ubuntu). Installations have always been a breeze. Would not use ******* if my life depended on it...

k64
January 1st, 2010, 06:28 PM
Linux has ALWAYS been the main OS on my Acer Aspire One (in various variants: Linpus [a lightweight OS based on Fedora and the original OS], UNR, Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop edition [with GNOME Shell, of course], Google Chrome OS [currently], and Moblin). My desktop has been switching back and forth. I had a dual-boot of Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows Vista for a long time - and suddenly the Vista DVD was coming up with installation errors (when Ubuntu didn't recognize the Vista on its second partition I had to reinstall it). I now have an upgrade for the Windows side (Windows 7 Professional) that my mother got me for Christmas. Translation: I haven't COMPLETELY switched to Linux, but I'm 5/6 of the way there.

lais
January 1st, 2010, 06:51 PM
I have been Windws-free for sometime now. However, Windows 7 is making me think about installing it as well.

alfu
January 2nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Still using Win2000 on a PC to run SolidWorks(I want to migrate to Blender (http://www.blender.org/), but what a learning curve!) and ProVue's Panorama (http://provue.com/Panorama/) Database, but Ubuntu does all the rest.

I have been migrating to the Ubuntu (Linux) O/S for about a year now, and have had to re-install (with the attendant wiping of my user accounts and installed apps) about 3 times in the past year. I'm looking at the Black Screen of Death on my main computer now because I decided to mark the dodgy Network Manager for re-installation. BAD idea. And the Ubuntu LiveCD is not helping; I can see the files on the non-booting partition with it, but it won't let me copy them anywhere. Even using sudo and cp in the Terminal is informing me that much of what I want to salvage has been omitted.

Dragging the UNIX dinosaur into the 21st century and trying to make it perform as a personal computer O/S is beginning to look like a computer science grad student's sick joke (much like RISC on Apple Power PC was). User and system data are hopelessly intertwined in Linux, buried deep in arcanely-named folders.

I have used Macs since the first one came out in 1984, and I have never, ever, ever, had to wipe the drive and reinstall the system. This re-installation has been necessary a few times with Micro$oft products, also, as you may imagine. Nor did I ever have to consult the internet or a manual about some aspect of the O/S to be productive. (Apps yes, O/S never) Install a new system? Just copy the system folder from another computer!

To this very day, the pre-OSX Mac O/S products have been not only the most stable, but also the most focused on the USER'S agenda, not the push agenda of developers and centralized interests.

The simple concepts of being able to stick a program on a drive and run it, launch any item on your whole computer with one click and drag, access real folders (not the fake ones that Windows and Linux set up), access files without having permission denied, and do a true backup just by copying seem to be lost on the present generation of computer users.

The Linux/Ubuntu situation is actually getting worse with version 9.1, as it is more intensely involved with 'cloud computing' -- scary for anyone concerned with privacy issues -- whatever happened to the 'personal' computer?

I am interested in finding any group trying to port O/S9 to modern hardware, so it can run modern apps. It should not be allowed to languish on the dustheap of history.

Mana-sama
January 2nd, 2010, 04:28 PM
I used Ubuntu when It was in 8.10 for about 2 months, but I was to big into games so I reinstalled Windows when I found out of W7, then decided to give another try for Ubuntu since my W7 RC will expire in 2 months & here I am, enjoying Ubuntu more since I no longer care about games and all the new games coming out can't be played on my laptop so I'll rather buy a console instead.

nick_geetar
January 2nd, 2010, 04:53 PM
I just switched to Ubuntu studio 9.10 about 2 weeks ago on my laptop. I'm new to it but I only have a few dislikes but that comes from being raised on windows my entire life. Installation of stuff in windows seems easier. It might be the fact I don't know my way around this OS very much. But all the free software I can get for audio production is great. Still learning how to work jack and all the software but it will come with time. But anyways i'm dual booting vista with ubuntu and i'm thinking about getting rid of windows cause it's just collecting dust and HD space. hah

Chrisco66
January 2nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
When I first started playing with Linux ( Ubuntu 7.04 ) I liked the fact that very little attention had to be paid to security and maintenance. On my Windows machines, I ran anti virus scans daily (automated), and spyware / malware scans weekly. Then you have disk defrag about once a month. What I noticed was that I actually spent more time maintaining my Windows machines than I did using using them. I began skipping a week or two because I found myself using Linux to do my daily chores (paying bills, reading mail, buying stuff). After installing wine to run a few essential programs, I noticed that my dual boot machines were running Linux for weeks or months at a time.

With the Vista hatefest going on, it was a choice of either staying with XP pro, or getting "off the grid" so to speak. I have to admit, I like free stuff too. Pay for Windows with high maintenance, or use free Linux with almost no maintenance.

As time went on, I slowly eliminated Windows from my machines. I started with the kids computer. I expected to hear a bunch of complaints, but they play mostly online games, which work fine in Linux. My daughter uses MS office at school, but open office is fully compatible. She actually prefers open office to MS office. It is still running opensuse 11.1. I may switch it to Ubuntu, but not till it breaks.

Then the g/f computer. Some whining because her 14 chat programs dont work in Linux, and the Linux replacements are not as full featured. She found ways around this problem, and the reduction in maintenance saved her a bunch of time.

My laptop was dual boot since 2007 also. Although I never used Windows, I still had a copy of XP pro "just in case". When I replaced the hard drive, I decided that putting Windows back on was a waste of time. I would never use it.

As I started using Linux more at work (my laptop and a dual boot on a company machine) people would ask about Linux. I told them to dig that old boat anchor out of the closet (most people have one) and run Ubuntu on it. Every person who has done it comes back and tells me that it brings old computers back to life. It may never be the "front line" machine, but it does make a nice second computer for the kids.

The only time I miss windows is when it comes to installing printers and scanners. HP stuff seems the best supported, canon may be the worst. Spend a few minutes looking at reviews of the hardware before you buy, and it will save lots of grief.

I didnt mean to ramble, but heres my conclusion. If you dont mind tweaking and doing a little research, use Linux. If you want want to "plug and play" use Windows.

TironN
January 3rd, 2010, 05:22 AM
But anyways i'm dual booting vista with ubuntu and i'm thinking about getting rid of windows cause it's just collecting dust and HD space. hah

Thats all Vista is good for...

manco
January 3rd, 2010, 06:38 AM
Just switched completely to Linux today!

Might run a virtual Windows though; not sure if this still counts...

lisati
January 3rd, 2010, 06:43 AM
One of my machines is Windows free. I'm contemplating making another Windows free (the jury is still out).

adelphos
January 3rd, 2010, 06:46 AM
I got rid of my Windows partition a few months ago, and am single-booting Ubuntu. I much prefer it, and really cannot think of anything which would cause me to use Windows (out of choice) again. Unfortunately, I have a virtual machine with Windows 7 on it because the Computer Science classes at my school require the Visual Studio 2008 format. So, I won't be completely free of Windows until I graduate.

rmccutchan
January 3rd, 2010, 07:07 AM
There are only two reasons I keep Windows around now:

I am taking classes in Network Administration and PC Support/Administration. My classes dictate that I use Office 2007 and other microsoft products, and most of the world uses Windows, so I have to keep up to date on Windows.

Other than that, I mostly use Ubuntu at home. I just wiped out our Vista machine because it was having big problems, and convinced my wife that we should at least dual boot with Vista/Ubuntu (she didn't want to, but I showed her how easy it was :-)

Having said that, I have used Ubuntu exclusively for the last 6 months on the machine that I use, and could not be happier!

Techsnap
January 3rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
I completely switched to Linux in 2002 but switched back to Windows in 2007 when Vista was released because most distros at this time just did so much screwing about with things which worked before.

JSimms100
January 3rd, 2010, 06:49 PM
I have made the " complete " switch to Linux. Windows XP crashed - blue screen of death and I turned to the Linux side. I still have a lot to learn especially when it comes to installing certain applications but besides that I love it.

GalloGlas
January 3rd, 2010, 07:15 PM
I've almost made the switch. If such a switch is really necessary.:? Ironic though, the thing that holds most people back (such as gaming) I currently do with Ubuntu. I used to play WoW but dropped that to pursue healthier entertainment. Now I play Descent 3, Freelancer, Crysis and a few other super nerd games that I won't mention here to save face. But anyway, I've found any game can be played on ubuntu, it's just that some need more... convincing that others. Wine is useful but has a long way to go. I'm not sure we'll ever see it 100% reliable but with enough patience you can usually get it to do what you want.

But I haven't made a total 100 percent switch. I triple boot this machine: Ubuntu, XP, Win7.

My Macbook pro I haven't installed Ubuntu on. No real point to. But my 2 other laptops have Linux and XP.

I don't feel I should make a 100 percent conversion. Each OS has it's strengths and weaknesses. So why limit myself? I never understood this notion that a user must bound themselves to one OS. I think the "which OS is superior" debate is about as useless as a politics debate. It's just one debate that will never end and no side will ever win yet people will figure out a way to be offended by the topic.
:popcorn:

andras artois
January 3rd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Switched to Windows fully since 7.

Reasons: Games, Solidworks and AutoCAD.

I don't see the point in switching to and from Linux and windows when I can just use Windows for all the usual non gaming/CAD things.

Still really want a music player that looks and works like Rhythmbox though.....

bobin
January 3rd, 2010, 07:41 PM
Never used *******. ubuntu serves all my needs. Use WINE to play CS 1.6 .All hard ware supported out-of-box.
Besides can't afford M$ anyway . Saved about $400 in an year as licence fees. Coming from a third world country where the per capita income is about $1000 ( per year) $400 is A LOT of money.

Only grudge is the terrible dialup compatibility. Will have to pay through my nose for broadband.

Kevinlittleton
January 3rd, 2010, 08:06 PM
I made the switch yesterday. I was dual booting XP and Ubuntu for the past couple of weeks and I kept seeing XP less and less. I love Ubuntu and since I'm using a Netbook full time and don't game it suits my needs perfectly.

dln9
January 3rd, 2010, 08:21 PM
I use Ubuntu for everything, except: I still run XP within Virtual Box because my employer uses XP, and when I need to connect from home, I need to run XP to avoid compatability problems.

Otherwise, as I wrote, I use Ubuntu for everything else.

aaronchall
January 3rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
I'm pretty much done with Windows. Wine runs MS Office, so if I really need that in the future, I'm ok. (I have a virtualbox XP as a backup).

Right now I'm writing a paper in OpenOffice.org, surfing the net with Firefox, and watching Miro (TEDTalks and Linux stuff) on an attached screen. I'm a happy camper with Linux.

Life is good, and I'm weaned off of Windows for life, hopefully.

Aaron

aaronchall
January 3rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Why am I so happy now? I feel like I CONTROL MY OPERATING SYSTEM, instead of Bill Gates, or worse, the Steves, controlling my operating system. It's my computer. It's my work. It's my data. It's MY OPERATING SYSTEM.

I don't need to pay a premium for extra features that I may or may not need (although Ubuntu One seems like a good system for backing up stuff.) I get security and full functionality with Ubuntu. If I want to accomplish something, I can find out how to do it and implement it.

I love Linux, and I am very grateful to the GNU/Linux community for all of their work.

khopek
January 3rd, 2010, 11:28 PM
I loathe all that is Windows and Apple, however, having said that I like Windows 7. Mostly just the taskbar. It is very convenient for how I work.

Completely switching is hard for me as I do alot of web programming and design and my programs don't seem to work well for me on Ubuntu. If I can get my necessary programs to run then I am all in. And coming from a semi-Linux newb that says alot.:lolflag:

A couple things that would convert people alot easier...

1) I notice that when Googling for help, such as 'how to install X program' everything involves typing in the terminal. Users accustom to Windows don't understand this. They are looking for instructions such as 'go here click this click this, etc'

This was a huge learning curve for me

2) Oh Adobe...thou art a heartless b***h. No I don't want to pay for a crap OS when I can get an amazing OS for free. Yes I will pay for your programs as absurdly priced as they are..IF THEY WORKED ON LINUX. :P

If only we can get all these arrogant little companies to make native versions of their software...

Blue_Wolf
January 6th, 2010, 05:10 PM

If your a gamer I'll tell you right now Don't switch Windows has more support for Games than Linux or OS X. That's why Gamers put up with it. That's a Fact If anyone can tell me how to play halo 3 or Any new games on Linux let me know I'd be interested.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
January 6th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I switched entirely three years ago and have never looked back.

I found excellent replacements for MS Money (Jgnash 2.3.3) and ITunes (Banshee - it syncs my Ipod) and I have all the other tools that I need to do whatever I want with my computer.

IN fact - I took the opportunity to learn more about Linux on the backend.

I created a file/print server using Ubuntu Server and I am now learning a lot about Bash Shell Scripting.

No crashes, no viruses, complete control over my data and files.

It is elegant.

Not going back - ever.

caravel
January 6th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I've been back and forth a few times, due to gaming needs. My last total switch lasted nearly 6 months. I have recently switched again - this time maybe for good or maybe not. Time will tell.

SchizmWolf
January 6th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Completely switched, and am quite satisfied with the results. As for games, my graphics card is horrible and won't play any of the ones I like anyway, so no loss, tons of gain.

antiwindowsman
January 6th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Like my handle??? I made the Switch, I have ton's of windows games but will just have to get used to the play station. I first used Linux when i started rooming with a linux geek named Chris, he has passed away and now i have to enter the bash syntax myself, and i am not used to it. My friend left me Linux disk from the 1970's and Red Hat was the first experience I had, Ubuntu (Linux) has come a Long way since then. I also have 4 motherboards, 2 hard drives, all broken by windows, on the other hand, the 386 "IP mascaraed" Linux box is still working. Over 20 years now. Thank you Linus T. for creating it

kmrs75
January 7th, 2010, 04:06 PM
we have 3 computers - laptop ubuntu desktop ubuntu and another desktop xp the only reason that is still xp is becouse i havent gotten our vinyl cutter to work in linux yet. once i get that to work we will be switching 100% over to linux.

wife loves it

kids love it

i love it

jamziee
January 7th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Switched to ubuntu 100% few days back, as soon as i sorted out the look and feel i was fine. I do miss some windows programs but the alternatives i have found are pretty good. I have had no real reason to go back

nanotube
January 7th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Like my handle??? I made the Switch, I have ton's of windows games but will just have to get used to the play station. I first used Linux when i started rooming with a linux geek named Chris, he has passed away and now i have to enter the bash syntax myself, and i am not used to it. My friend left me Linux disk from the 1970's and Red Hat was the first experience I had, Ubuntu (Linux) has come a Long way since then. I also have 4 motherboards, 2 hard drives, all broken by windows, on the other hand, the 386 "IP mascaraed" Linux box is still working. Over 20 years now. Thank you Linus T. for creating it

dude, linux is not that old! you're making stuff up.

fancypiper
January 7th, 2010, 07:02 PM
The first kernel was in 1991 if I remember my history. Micorsoft got started in the 70s.

Maybe you are thinking unix?

carbonbased
January 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Off and on for a long time, but I think Ubuntu 9.10 and the new graphics code that was recently made a part of the kernel is going to get me to stay with Linux. Installed 9.10 a couple weeks ago and it's great. Being that Linux apps are a bit like getting acquainted with a giant forest, I'm slowly weaning myself off of WinXP Pro. WinXP (3) has been very stable, however, Linux is incredible, flexible, fun, and so forth. I only boot into XP now about every other day, and generally for only a few minutes.

As I become more and more familiar with Linux, it will essentially replace, fully, XP. And after all, I do so HATE Microsoft for all of the grief they've caused me since the inception of Windows. Any way you put it, I've been using free software since Windows 2000, at which time I vowed to never again pay for another piece of software from MS.

I truly appreciate the cooperation of ATI with Open Source recently. Otherwise, my card would not be running my monitor worth a damn with Linux. Very happy to be running U. 9.10 too--Linux rocks!

ronniestamps
January 7th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I had bounced back and forth between ******* and linux since 1998. I am completely ******* free since Ubuntu 8.04. I don't care what type of issues or needs I may encounter with Ubuntu, I am DONE with ALL micro$oft products. Since I made the decision to switch 100%, I've had a few issues, some of them MAJOR headaches. But I overcame them... without $$$. My entire family is using Ubuntu now, except for my mother-in-law, she's a teacher with a mac, but working on getting her to use Kubuntu. I no longer offer anyone any type of ******* support. If they want me to work on or fix their ******* computer... backup, format, install Ubuntu, have a nice day.

Techsnap
January 7th, 2010, 09:54 PM
am DONE with ALL micro$oft products.

Cool, are Micro$oft not very good then, never heard of them.

mamamia88
January 7th, 2010, 10:01 PM
i would love too but right now i don't have a dvr and can't possibly watch all the shows i want so i have to use windows to catch up on the shows i miss that aren't on hulu and use move media plugin

plapczynski
January 9th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Been a unix user and small scale admin since 1995. Completely on Linux at home (workstation and server) for about a year now. The online version ot turbotax has saved me from turning back,

JSeymour
January 9th, 2010, 02:52 AM
May sound like heresy, then, but I don't play computer games. (Was a designer/engineer/manufacturer of video games a long time ago. I think I burned out on 'em permanently.) So game availability/performance has never been an issue for me. Don't have much need/use for "office" applications, either. So I've never had a need for MS-Windows, other than as-necessary to support customers.

In short, for myself, I never use MS-Windows for anything, ever.

Thank. God.

Whenever I get annoyed with Linux or Unix, I remind myself what my last "Windows experience" was like and my annoyance factor goes down by at least an order-of-magnitude ;).

I have lucky colleagues that don't ever have to go within even rock-throwing-distance of a 'doze box.

jackdale
January 9th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I haven't used Window$ as my main OS since early December 2008. I started off with Mac OS X, and had Window$ XP(ensive) as a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion 2. I then found Ubuntu 8.10 ('cause I'd been wanting to try Linux for a while) and fell in love with it. I put it on my old PC and it brought it back to life! I bought a new computer when 9.10 came out and that has been my main computer (running Ubuntu as my main OS) ever since. I still have Vista SP 7 (aka Window$ 7) as a dual-boot option, because there are programs that will not run on Linux (even with the latest WINE) or Mac that are important to me.

To my great dismay, however, my work uses Window$ XP(ensive) still and boot and log-in times are outrageously SLOW. Even my old (almost 10yo) computer is faster now with Ubuntu 9.10. Ironically, their server is a variant of BSD Unix.

Also Tried:
*OpenBSD 7 (with KDE 3) - did not like it
*Xubuntu 8.10 to 9.10 - nice graphical log-in for 9.10, but too buggy.
*Kubuntu 8.10 to 9.10 - nice eye-candy, but not as flexible as Gnome 2 (this is my back-up plan if Gnome 3 is the disaster it appears to be)
*OpenSUSE 11.2 - Well, there are things that I wish Ubuntu had from OpenSUSE (it does seem a little more professional in some ways). But I find that aptitude is much better than YAST when downloading new apps, but it dies have some nice functions that would be good to see in Ubuntu Software Centre.
*OpenSolaris 2009.06 - Nice implementation of Gnome 2. I like the stability of the Unix system and the professional integration of the underlying OS with the DE. However, much fewer apps and messy dependency resolution.
*Window$ 7 - It is such a messy Desktop environment! Nice Eye-candy, but boy does the operating system beneath it need an upgrade! backward-compatibility is a nightmare.
*Mac OS X 10.5 to 10.6 - what can I say? I love it. I wish it were as flexible as Linux though. Nice concept, but cannot really customise anything.
*Ubuntu 9.10 - Brilliant. My favourite OS. Currently customised with Compiz, Cairo-Dock and USP.

wavery
January 9th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I still have Windows for the the few programs that will only run in Windows. Some of them would probably run with Wine if I invested the time, but the point here is that I shouldn't need to do so. I've asked the developers of these programs if they have considered a Linux version. The response is always 'there is no cost benefit to doing so' because of the market share of the OS.

I'm a relative noob to Linux, but I do love it and hope it ultimately becomes my primary OS. But it needs to capture more market share and become more mainstream so that developers will take it more seriously. I say this after all the promo's that I've read saying...'just install it and it works.' Well yeah, the computer boots up, I can get on the internet, and I have an effective office suite...great! But I also have a nice long list of things I need to address to make it a smooth operation (which Windows did right away). I'll reiterate...Linux is great and I love it...but it's still for computer geeks (I say that with affection) this day.

Ronok
January 9th, 2010, 10:59 AM
100% UBUNTU !

I started in the winter of 2008
because of:
(1)
a brutal crippling MSFV Virus
that was killing computers all over the country
and had caused me great frustration at a critical time
(2)
was already way tired of how the MSFT OS & Culture
tries to Nanny-think for the end user,
(3)
Had become more aware of the political implications of MSFT
in international politics, had chosen to withdraw my support,
by not using it ever again.

I bought a copy of 8.04 LTS Hardy Heron off the shelf
I found that UBUNTU can do everything that I need !
and I have installed UBUNTU, on many computers since
here is a link... to a link... to a free download (http://www.gongkuo.com/display_pictures_and_font.htm)

Now happily using 9.1

tracerbullet
January 10th, 2010, 05:27 AM
My only windows box - a Toshiba laptop - died earlier this week, and as I watched it happen, I braced for the inevitable panic that would follow only to find that it did not set in.

There's no longer anything that laptop could have done for me that my Ubuntu box can't!

:D

Take that, top of new page!

standingwave
January 10th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Been using Linux regularly since 8.04 and I found myself booting into WIndows less and less so with the latest Ubuntu release I just made the primary drive one large partition. I'm not a big gamer, playing mostly GNUBackgammon, Sauerbraten (Cube 2), Foobilliard and believe it or not, Nibbles.

garrikx
January 10th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I've been using Ubuntu for all of 3 days, found the SE and naturally had to have it, because it is pretty. Honestly though, I figured that in my hatred for MS I needed a change, although I am kind of lost with this OS, I am having more fun than anything learning how to use it.

So truthfully I am enjoying Ubuntu, I don't have windows so, this is kind of a must, but if I could go back I wouldn't, the only things i am having problems with are software installations and things of that nature, but there is information everywhere, and if anyone wants to give me any tips, please feel free to do so

Rick1971
January 10th, 2010, 07:42 AM
currently it is on my second box, but i may move it to my main and just stop gaming on my computer compleetly and use my PS3 for games

the only real thing holdimg me back is Netflix and the up coming Diablo 3

ctrlmd
January 10th, 2010, 07:54 AM
im multiple operating system user so i wont switch to linux completely nor to windows nor mac completely i like it this way

and i have no idea why im using linux i just like it that's all is it wrong :S

Evie~
January 10th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I accidentally erased Windows when I installed Ubuntu, so I've completely switched now :) Nothing bothers me except for random freezing, but I'm working it out :)

jamest
January 10th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Ubuntu (9.10) and Mac OS X are my main operating systems. Got fed up with Windows, and just completely overwrote my windows 7 installation (on purpose). I use it for just about everything - it's fast, stable, and virus free :)

If I want to game, I use my PS3, and DS.

Dzoks
January 10th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I have dual-boot, Windows 7 and Ubuntu Karmic. I am spending 99% time in Ubuntu. I go in Windows when I want to play games like Crysis, GTA IV, CoD4 and similar games. For everything else I use Ubuntu.

deh69
January 11th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Windows free since October, 2009.

Miss nothing, since Wine allows me to not cringe at the differences between a spreadsheet in Excel vs. OO.

philferrar
January 11th, 2010, 10:50 PM
If you're using a laptop that is 'freezing [as I was] try ...

extract from https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/307645?comments=all

Its good that acpi=off works but this option should not be added directly to the grub.cfg file. [Do NOT edit this file]

The problem is whenever there will be upgrade, the option will be lost. Moreover you will also see at the start of grub.cfg file *do not edit this file*.
If you want to add acpi=off to your options then gedit /etc/default/grub file.
In this file there will be an option like :
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
just add acpi=off after splash so that it will look like :
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=off"

Did above by navigating to directory - then executed sudo gedit grub

and then don't forget to give the command :
sudo update-grub

Iwnda0
January 12th, 2010, 01:16 AM
I'm still using winXP as my primary OS because in Ubuntu I can't acces my 240 GB raid array. I don't think I will get it working. So I'm gonna lend some external harddisks and backup all my data. When that's done I will be using Ubuntu as my primary OS. I will keep a dual boot configuration for the time being.

Have you tried karmic koala for your raid array? There is plenty of support for that. There is a bunch of articles in linux magazine talking about optimizing RAID using slackware 13.0 & kubuntu 9.04 That's November 2009's issue.

mamamia88
January 12th, 2010, 01:56 AM
if valve ever ports steam i am done

fancypiper
January 12th, 2010, 01:58 AM
First, install wine, then install Play On Linux.

sudo wget http://deb.playonlinux.com/playonlinux_karmic.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/playonlinux.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install playonlinuxNow, you should be able to install steam and then your games.

jbird80
January 12th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I've completely switched over to Linux/Ubuntu about 6 years ago, the only windows machine in our house is my wife's but i'm working on that.

Roasted
January 12th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I'll always use Windows, mostly due to the fact I'm a gamer.

I treat Windows like console gamers treat their Xbox. You use your Xbox to play games. I use Windows to play games. When you're done on the Xbox, you turn it off. When I'm done gaming, I reboot to Linux.

I even got my mom using Kubuntu full time. My desktop and laptop are currently testing out Mandriva Free 2010 (pretty nice) and my brothers are on XP but they game 24/7/365. However, they have Kubuntu dual booting on their PCs if they ever wish to use it.

sxmaxchine
January 12th, 2010, 07:06 PM
i use ubuntu as my main os i only use xp when im at skool

Buzzintx
January 12th, 2010, 08:54 PM
New to Ununtu but I'm liking how it works!

Puzzled Guy
January 13th, 2010, 04:48 AM
I last time I booted into Windows was to play a game (I was too stupid to remember about wine).

Other than that, I only keep Windows as a backup in case Ubuntu has a meltdown.

Actually, it was my father who advised me to keep Windows (trust me, he knows nothing about Ubuntu)

I am just shrinking the Windows partitions now.

That is all

Belizeian
January 13th, 2010, 05:12 PM
All but one of my machines are one form of linux or antoher except for one. That one is an old laptop that runs winXP, I only have it because I can not get wview to work and I do like to keep records from my weather station.

Contemplator
January 14th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I have a Graphics card (shown below) that allows me to play any game I install (Burnout Paradise, WoW, ...). All the games work perfect on windows.

I have Ultimate Edition (Ubuntu based Gaming OS) that comes with Linux based games. 3D rendering does not work on Ubuntu, so all the games either do not start or run very slowly.

I am wondering what hardware to buy, to be able to play games (even Linux games) on Ubuntu. I have tried getting Ubuntu to work with my hardware, now I want to try getting hardware that will work with Ubuntu!

sakthidaran
January 14th, 2010, 01:06 PM
For the last one and half years, I have been using ONLY UBUNTU. I do not need any application other than FOSS. I store all the documents only in open document standards, even if I get something with other file extensions.:D

EnergyEruption
January 14th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone,

I came to study in England in September, bringing my laptop with me, which has ONLY ubuntu installed. After 4 months using it, I can safely say that I now have difficulties getting used to a windows PC! Everything I own can be used easily in Ubuntu 9.10, including mp3 player, digital camera and webcam. As far as gaming is concerned, I play old adventure games mainly, so the abscence of windows wasn't a problem. Only yesterday I managed to install broken sword 1 and warcraft 2 and they work fine.

Alex

MasterNetra
January 14th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Using only Linux right now. ^.^ Ubuntu for normal use on my laptop and Fedora 12 on my Desktop which I use for Data storage/backup.

jedlacks
January 14th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I have Ubuntu on my work laptop, and I use the family desktop to use magic jack and iPhone et al. My wife and son uses the desktop and I am basking in the glory of Ubuntu.

What sold me was when I could not get my old 11x17 HP printer to load in Windows 7 and Ubuntu loaded it in less that 10 seconds.

lupin492
January 15th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I got fed up with the other OS by 2005, with its viruses, and its malware, and its defrags, and its "cleaners", and its unexplainable disk activities, and the diagnostics and fixes I ran where never enough to make it perform well. I started using Ubuntu with 5.04, near October 2005, on my (even-so) old P4 with 256MB. By the first months of 2006 I was using ONLY Ubuntu.
First months were harder because I was decided to only use FOSS for every task I would need to do: browse web, pop-mail, html-mail through the same client as with pop, sync my Palm M-130, download books to it (at least text format), edit some audio files, see videos, listen to music, burn CD's, office tasks, photo edition, file-sharing (Samba for some of them, p2p for the others :-D ). I was able to configure my printer (Lexmark X1150) through a hack in the forums. And now, with Karmic, I noticed that even the scaner profiles are setup properly to get the real colors for the images. The only black sheep was my webcam (Kocom KMC88i) that was never recognised beyond being a USB webcam. When I compiled the drivers for its chipset I couldn't make it work. I don't use to video-chat, anyway. It was only for the purpose of making all things to work in Ubuntu. Now I got surprised, because programs like Ekiga see it as an available webcam. May be now I just need to install the driver to see if it works...
Well, despite some problems that might arise with upgrades (and sometimes even with updates), it's still (really) worth to use it.
Special thanks to all the people working on it, and those in the forums!

UBUNTU! (thinking about its meaning :-D ).

phawnex
January 15th, 2010, 03:17 AM
im in the process lol

mainly logged into ubuntu, in the process of completely switching over to Linux once i get a solid foundation in linux.

nklnsk
January 15th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Hi,

my friend have told me more about linux couple of years ago and I liked it. Main problem to instal linux on family pc was that my dad is using some software that bank gave him for e banking and my brother was using nuendo and reason for sound editing.
Now, im writing this reply on my lenovo laptop wich runs ubuntu. Im so satisfied with ubuntu and software packages. Wireless works and everything else that i need. Im not a big gamer. These days Im playing machinarium and game is genious.

nkl

k.mooijman
January 15th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I use linux ( ubuntu ) now for over two years on my laptop and have it installed on the home server as well as on the laptop of my partner. our kids got a (very) old omnibook and i installed Xubuntu on it. its working well.
I use occasionally a virtualbox with windows for testing and because cannon is so stubborn in not providing drivers for there cannonscan lide 70

snowowl
January 15th, 2010, 03:53 PM
There's some fantastic games for Linux. Try looking through their games site. :)

siddartha
January 15th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Started about 15 years ago. I completely switched about 12 years ago. Now I'm moving over to Windows and Mac. Linux is good for doing small admin jobs, for embedded systems and not much more. So, for me, Linux will be confined to a tiny flash boot disk and nothing more. It can be a toy, it can be a waste of time. As some people spend their lives on myspace or facebook, others spend it on Linux.

Cheers!

benjamimgois
January 15th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I make the switch 5 years ago, but i still using MS Office 2003 through Cross Over, there's no way to live without it on the business world yet.

gewone
January 15th, 2010, 05:29 PM
In my case, it's still lots of back and forth between Linux / *******. My first Linux experience was back in early 1997. It was mainly Slackware (6-isch, I believe). I had some periods of rebellious "micro$oft hatred", being 100% free of W9x. We were no l33t above average. We used Linux as end-users, no coding or suchlike. This was before the "Ubuntu explosion".

I remember back then how me and my friends had gotten the impression that Debian and OpenBSD was the "l33t" distributions, more complex installation and so on. We never went there! ;) Then came several years of no-Linux, mainly 'cuz I recall losing patience with hardware compatibility, and the fact that Wine wasn't covering all ******* apps that I would like.

Later, around 2002-2003, I decided to go back into Linux. I then ran "Redhat" (which back in late 90's was considered the "ultimate newbie distribution" among me and friends). However, it was easy, but somewhere around then they started with some sort of only-halfway-free-of-charge, so that you needed to pay $ for updates and suchlike. That had me drop patience and I was back on XP.

Now, last year I tried Ubuntu (and Kubuntu, about simultaneously), and both these distros was in fact much to my delight. Nice-looking, user-friendly, feature-rich, and much more. However, I must confess that I've still not letting go on *******. Mostly 'cuz I'm into tons of software branches, and I havn't even dared finding out if Wine covers 'em all (wo/ having to do hours of complex tweaking), so therefor Ubuntu serves as [only] OS on my old Thinkpad, whereas Win is only os on my stationary computer.

However, I'm [slowly] saving up for a new stationary computer (AMD Phenon-isch), which I'm planning on running duo operating systems on. Can't barely wait! ;)

Juwanaxe
January 15th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I completely switch about a year ago, but that was account to my pretty bad computer that was 5 years old. My windows kept screwing with me and I couldn't stand it. Tried ubuntu 8.10 and loved it.

But..

I since got a new computer. I wasn't a fan of pretty much any of the PC manufacturers, and me being in San Francisco. Apple was the logica choice. So, I got a macbook.

I later learned, to my dissipointment, that it has trouble running Ubuntu. I'm trying to fix that. At the moment I'm running OS X, Windows 7, and (hopefully soon) Ubuntu. I miss Ubuntu :(

Roasted
January 15th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I make the switch 5 years ago, but i still using MS Office 2003 through Cross Over, there's no way to live without it on the business world yet.

I've been Microsoft Office-free for about a year. Meanwhile everybody else I work with was using MS Office. No complaints here. :) Especially after a lot of us started adopting Open Office...

5dolla
January 15th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I switched about a year ago and never turnedback I'm a gamer at heart but there are enough Linux games native or with wine that I canlive with out windows. sorry for my grammar I'm on my I phone at work haha

unclejac
January 15th, 2010, 09:11 PM
What sold me was when I could not get my old 11x17 HP printer to load in Windows 7 and Ubuntu loaded it in less that 10 seconds.

Good Job my friend ! :D

johndillinger1932
January 16th, 2010, 01:53 AM
I've been using ubuntu ( started with GG, now I'm using JJ Studio) for over a year now and I regret not switching to Linux sooner..Sure 90% of all pc games either don't work/ or they arent ported to Linux but thats why the console systems exist..if you must play games go get a Wii/360/PS3..besides some of the best games ie God of War arent for the pc anyway..the Wii is be far the easiest system to soft mod and the new soft mods allow for usb hdd to store/play games..I currently own on my Wii's 1tb external hdd every single console title ever released up untill the PSx generation, plus just about every Wii game worth owning...

iMilkChan
January 16th, 2010, 02:23 AM

So your saying Linux can't play games?

I did. Seeing BSOD's were annoying me.

doublewitt
January 16th, 2010, 06:14 PM
At first, I used the dual boot scenario with XP for a few months but realized that the dual boot environment wasn't good for me. Because I was too comfortable with XP to boot Ubuntu. So I only went into Ubuntu once in a while. And so when you go only a little bit (here and there), you don't learn much, cause you don't dig in to see what Ubuntu really is. So finally, I decided to knock off XP completely, reformat my computer and swing with Ubuntu as my only operating system. I am so glad I made the move! I'm learning more and more everyday. And despite that some things seemed complicated at first, I find myself wanting to learn more and more - it seems like I'm hungry for it! Give me some Ubuntu food, please! I love this operating system so much - it makes me regret to not have made the switch earlier.

akrm25
January 16th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Ubuntu....I started using it 6 months ago. The transisition was talking sometime for me. Initially i was using KDE, it was crashing while playing games and still there is no Bluetooth support....then i Swtiched to GNOME. It is awesome...I am like 98% ubuntu user now....I still have to boot windows for iTunes and Netfilx. Just that two......

fjf314
January 16th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I made a complete switch back in 2006. I started out by dual-booting 6.06 and Windows XP. After upgrading to 6.10 when that released, I realized I hadn't touched the XP partition in months so I decided to completely do away with it.

I still use Windows at work, but I don't really have the power to do much about that.

Baby Girl
January 16th, 2010, 11:25 PM
ME!

After Windows crashed and microsoft refused to help with recovery of a novel I was writting, I vowed to do everything in my power to get rid of windows.

I have been Linux ever since. just dive right in and never looked back. Now I run a computer shop out of my bedroom and promote Linux at any chance I can possibly get.\\:D/

Dual booting Ubuntu 9.04 with BackTrack 3.
AMD Athlon II x2 at 2.7 ghz
4 gigs DDR2 800mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT with 1 gig onboard mem

n0dix
January 16th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I only use Window$ to play CS:S. I try play using Wine but it going very well :(. For the rest of things i use Ubuntu - Arch Linux ;)

perspectoff
January 16th, 2010, 11:34 PM
3 things keep me using xp on my laptop(however ubuntu is my main OS for everything else so i use my laptop very little):

my canon i850 printer.

no video editor that handles titles and audio track overlays that i have gotten to work yet. i tried kino, its really great, but no titles or audio overlay. i am thinking of creating cinerellia deb packages when i get that to work, just have not had the time.

alsa is not supported on my sound card(cause it sucks) so i use audacity on my win machine. this will be remidied when i get a new comp as i will purchase a creative labs audigy line card(which is supported in alsa so i can do sound recording).

the games thing is moot at this point for me because ut2004 is native linux and war3 run great in cedega. WOW runs good in cedega and if i ever want to play HL2 that will be supported better in the future. i mostly play blizzard titles, neverwinter nights(linux ported) and ut2004 and free games like frozen bubble.

i think over time my problems will diminish, the video editor problem will go away as kino gets more features or as i get another program working well. games will eventually be ported to linux in greater number and my printer..... well we shall see on that one.

There are lots of choices for video editors, not just Kino and Cinerella.

See

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Karmic#Graphics_and_Video_Applications

at Ubuntuguide.org

skotos
January 17th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Definitely switched to Linux 2 years ago and never watched back.
What's more... I know I will never install a Windows box anymore.
My wife enjoys it as well... and I am always looking for ways to reformat multimedia hdds and the other special purpose computers I get in contact with.

For being Windows free I feel as happy as I am for quitting smoking...

FREE... Totally free. But when you have seriously tried to stay Windows free for a while... it's not like nicotine... you know you will never go back... too many silly & stupid things, bad commercial behaviors, malware, viruses, spam... All things you will never miss.. And loads of nice people on the other side...

Because when you switch, your habits change as well. You get more and more free from serial numbers, expiration dates, bad advertisments & newsletters, ...

Think of how many unsolicited emails you have received from Mark Shuttleworth, Richard Stallman or Linus Torvalds... and - wow - if they could be good at overwhelming us with spam if only they wanted!!
When you change, even the companies you get in touch with are different or at least act differently... But it takes time to realize it, so - when you think the time has come - stay committed to increase the benefits: your quality of life and life expectation will change accordingly.:D:D:D

coldfusion1313
January 17th, 2010, 05:02 AM
I had used ubuntu over the entire summer and i loved it, but suddenly my laptop's wireless stopped working and I could not fix it. So I had to reinstall Vista, I can feel a massive speed loss without Ubuntu. On my next box i will install win7 and ubuntu but i will only use windows to play games everything esle with be in ubuntu. I am also going to run ethernet into my room so i will not have to worry about wireless failing on me. Then i will install ubuntu again and for the final time on my laptop. i just hate having to throw money at people to get software and os'es. open source all the way. in a bit i will be 90% percent ubuntu. :)

Settwi
January 17th, 2010, 07:33 PM
There is a windows program called wubi.exe and you can download that and install it onto your C:\ drive. It installs a bootloader, and all of ubuntu's files are stored in one single folder.

JosephGarrison
January 18th, 2010, 06:17 AM
I've been completely running Ubuntu 9.10 now for maybe 2 weeks because Vista got some terrible malware that I couldn't remedy. So far so good, every issue I've had so far has been resolved.

mhousel
January 18th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Until and unless WINE eventually supports the National Instruments installer so that I can at least try to get LabWindows and Test Stand to run on Linux, I'm stuck with occasionally booting ******* for work purposes.

I do try it periodically and always have trouble with the installer running properly.

Other than that I'd NEVER boot ******* again.

ryzman
January 18th, 2010, 08:42 AM
i am extremely satisfied with Ubuntu 9.10. I love how simple it is and how well it runs. I love the fact that when i turn off my computer it doesnt sit and think for 5 min before powering down like most windows OS do. removing applications is a snap and I found that very useful when i noticed all the games that came with Ubuntu.
Ive had some minor issues with Skype. the mic on my netbook sometimes gets muted and i wonder if that happens when i mute the main volume... gonna have to look into that.
so far i am very pleased with the ease, look, and feel of this great open source OS. I am very happy to announce that I will never go back to windows and if i have to for one reason or another i will be kicking and screaming all the way. Ubuntu is great!

d80zoom
January 18th, 2010, 10:42 PM
In 2007 I decided to quit Windows because of the release of Vista. I started looking at all of the available distros and felt that Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) would be my best bet.

It worked great with my USB wireless adapter and NVidia 6200 card.

When Hardy and Intrepid came out, I tried them but could not access my wireless network. So I went back to windows xp until windows 7 beta's became available. Next month, the windows 7 beta's will expire and I thought I would like to go back to Ubuntu.

I have rebuilt my computer so my original set up that worked with 7.04 is gone and now I have an amd 9850 quad with the radeon 4850 and 4 gigs of ddr2 memory.

I tried Jaunty and Karmic, as well as openSuse 11.2, LinuxMint 8, Fedora 12, in both 32bit and 64bit versions and have not found any distro that works with my D Link DWA-140 USB adapter.

I have done a lot of research on Linux and Wireless and do not really see what really works out of the box, without any problems. On the Ubuntu/Hardware/wireless page it says my DWA-140 works, but it does not.

So, I guess when my windows 7 expires, I will have to go back to using windows xp, only cause it works.

I think more time should be spent on making Ubuntu work out of the box with good wireless access, and no problems with the video cards. Maybe Ubuntu 15.04 LTS would be the one, but I might be dead by then.

pyedog
January 18th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Never played on a Mac actually, I'm thinking about installing OSX86 on a separate partition to do so.

I'd dabbled in Linux before Ubuntu, but always stuck to Windows. Since I tried the Ubuntu LiveCD about 2 years ago I've since booted into Windows about 4 times. Safe to say I'm completely switched.

caffienated
January 18th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I run xp on my main box cos of stuff like photoshop and painter... I know there's WINE, but from what I read it's a mixed bag.

Don't have time for games.

Laptop is solely xubuntu.

Xp box dual boots with 9.04, but tbh spends most of it's time in xp.

It's getting replaced with PowerMac anyway... :popcorn:

factotum218
January 19th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I'm on my way. It's been a steady migration for the last year or so.

In the begining I started using computers for one thing, graphic design. I've been working in the field since 1996 but I'm just getting burnt out. At 32 years old I'm going back to college in Aug of 2010 to start on an electrical engineering degree.

What held me back

Adobe software was the killer for me but I find myself never touching any of it at home. If I do, it's Photoshop or InDesign. I gave photoshop cs2 a go with wine doors and it worked pretty well. If that doesn't work, I can use my other copy, which is version 7.

I don't need all the newer features that came with CS3 and CS4. I do photo editing which could be done with GIMP, and web design in my free time. For some reason I get better cleaner and crisper results in Photoshop than GIMP in that area. Otherwise Inkscape covers anything I would be doing in Fireworks or Illustrator. I'm going to miss my Wacom though. My wife got if for me for xmas of '09. It's the newer fun model that isnt supported...yet.

Outside of graphic design, what is there? Well Microsoft Office isn't something I NEED per se, I run all my email through gmail these days and dont need Outlook. I'm not sharing calenders like some indie "office on the go" types. That day may come later on, who knows. But I do know that if I ever need this it will be at a point where I could feasibly afford purchasing this software and get anything out of it.

I went though a heavy warez phase with the usuals, PowerISO, Alch120%, Games, Fruity Loops, MS Office, most games in the last 3 years, etc etc.

After a while I took a step back and considered something. What would I buy and use if I did have the money to buy all this stuff? The answer was "very little". I'd be buying antivirus suites, personal financial software to keep my budget under control, "cheaper than adobe" graphics software (can't afford adobe upgrades anymore, I leave that to my employer), backup software...mostly maintenance software to keep my existing set up running. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

So here I am, after a healthy month long session of distro-hoping typing this from my 9.04 live cd (daughter swiped my 9.10). I've tried most everything I've used in the past. From Slackware, Arch, and FreeBSD, to Opensuse, Fedora, Mandriva, Debian, and Ubuntu...

I think I'm finaly ready to commit to an open system. I thought about getting a Mac. I've thought about it for years, but I don't like to bring my work home with me.

jackdale
January 19th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Laptop is solely xubuntu.

Just wondering, why Xubuntu?

The reason I ask is that just for a bit of fun, I installed Xubuntu 8.04 on my ancient AMD Athlon 1.2GHz processor with 256MB RAM with a 64MB graphics card that isn't worth mentioning...It used to run Windows ME (lol) and got so slow that I stopped using it. I tried Windows XP which was even worse. Xubuntu definitely revived it.

However, after using Ubuntu and Kubuntu more and more, Xubuntu seemed more and more like the (very) poor relation...so I did what anyone would do to with a spare relic like this, I upgraded to Xubuntu 9.10 and then:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

:D

I thought it would be as slow as the Windows ME or the time I tried to run Windows XP. I must say that I am very pleased with the results. Gnome works very well and does not steal too many resources. It also has better networking compatibility and capability. I haven't noticed a significant difference in its function when compared with the XFCE session. Naturally, there is no role for compiz, but its brought it back from the graveyard.:D

Hence the question, have you tried Gnome on the laptop?

12_String
January 19th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I switched because my (free) computer didn't have MicroSoft Word, and I use word more than anything else.

OldGoat58
January 19th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I had the opportunity to dual boot when I downloaded Ubuntu but decided to learn by doing. Not being a gamer made the switch fairly easy. I have a huge music library and still have over 250 cd's to rip. I'm happy I went 100% Ubuntu because I believe it is hard, forgive this phrase, for a slave to serve 2 masters. I used to convert vehicles to propane fuel from gasoline. The only vehicles I had problems with were the one where the owner specifically demanded dual fuel.

joshuakimba
January 20th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I seriously want to switch to Linux, but I use MS Office 2007 Pro for my classes. How is the compatibility for Office 2007 Pro?

SirBismuth
January 20th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I seriously want to switch to Linux, but I use MS Office 2007 Pro for my classes. How is the compatibility for Office 2007 Pro?

I have seen people say that Office 2007 works in WINE, but haven't done it myself. For my one university module, I needed Office 2007, so I bought the student edition, and installed it on XP in VirtualBox, thus negating the need to dual-boot. I already have a legit XP CD from days when I still used Windows, so at least that didn't cost me anything.

I imagine that the Pro version of Office 2007 would also work fine in the abovementioned setup.

I wasn't thinking when I registered for this module, should have found out if they would have given me credit if I did the OpenICDL course privately. Oh well, I have already paid for it, so might as well do it, always a good thing to know the enemy.

B

crtlbreak
January 20th, 2010, 07:21 AM

Hi joshuakimba
I work in both domains - the compatibility is very good. There are some features and functions that are in in different places (page formatting for example) but other than that Open Office is exactly the same as Microsoft office (apart from the associated costs and licensing of course). :)
The one option you might want to check out is to enable the "save" option to default to .doc format (M$ Office) not the Open Office default - then the documents will be able to be read by M$ Office.
The other plugin you might want to look for is the .docx option - it is called chocolate - do a file search for <odf-converter-integrator-chocolate> or even just <odf-converter-integrator> - they probably would have updated the version that I have by now ..... obviously you would like the .deb version to simplify things.
That would allow your Open Office to be x compatible for M$Office2007.
Hope all this rambling helps? ;)
Regards

benjamimgois
January 20th, 2010, 12:10 PM

I am using MS Office 2007 Pro on Linux with CrossOver 8.0 Pro, and it works just fine ! At least Word, Excel and PowerPoint are vital for my work too, CodeWeavers CrossOver is what makes possible for me to work all day using Linux, the contrary, i would have to use Xp just because of MS Office. The only problem in this solution is that it loses a little bit of speed.

A.R.R
January 20th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Well I did. Though I still have windows 7 dual booted but thats because 1) I got it for free (see the irony), 2) I don't really need the 40 GB windows is installed in.

It basically gets the 'ignore' treatment and even my father (who doesn't even know what Ubuntu really is) prefers Ubuntu.

triplesquarednine
January 21st, 2010, 01:46 AM
Until and unless WINE eventually supports the National Instruments installer so that I can at least try to get LabWindows and Test Stand to run on Linux, I'm stuck with occasionally booting ******* for work purposes.

I do try it periodically and always have trouble with the installer running properly.

Other than that I'd NEVER boot ******* again.

i aam not familiar with the MS software you are refering to, but i have been able to get lots of MS software to run that isn't supported of mentioned too much on WINE's website...

have you tried to use winetricks?

often it contains some library that installers require... i had to use it to install Native instruments Kore player,
as it wouldn't normally install...you can read about winetricks at www.winehq.com

triplesquarednine
January 21st, 2010, 01:50 AM
I am using MS Office 2007 Pro on Linux with CrossOver 8.0 Pro, and it works just fine ! At least Word, Excel and PowerPoint are vital for my work too, CodeWeavers CrossOver is what makes possible for me to work all day using Linux, the contrary, i would have to use Xp just because of MS Office. The only problem in this solution is that it loses a little bit of speed.

you might have luck using "crossover" - the commercial version of wine. tehy have an office version.
and you could find out how well-supported msoffice2007 pro is...

kimdino
January 21st, 2010, 03:03 AM
I can't exactly say I never use windows as I use X-windows most of the time. Both of my own systems have been pure Linux for about 5 or 6 years now.

Have you tried 'kdenlive' for video editing?

Psychodox
January 21st, 2010, 07:03 AM
I've been playing with Linux for several years now, just 'fully' switched over both my boxes... a week ago? just now got my MX Revolution working (almost) perfectly. Though I still have a small windows partition for XNA.

mwa hahahaha, MX Revolution now working perfectly.

carlexpc
January 21st, 2010, 07:37 AM
I have completely switched to Linux since the last quarter of 2008. Linux is worth the switch. But I still have M$ Windows running in my VirtualBox just to enable me to have a look at it from time to time.

Windwalker52
January 22nd, 2010, 05:47 AM
I recently converted to Ubuntu 9.10 from XP after 15 system crashes installing programs on top of each other and so forth and the sheer number of virii that were often loaded onto my system by mainstream websites, etc.
I am waiting for the first problem with 9.10 after doing a complete upgrade from the previous version which went flawlessly and I have installed and operational 550+ programs from the official repository.
I had one problem which Computer Janitor fixed easily with conflicts.
So far I have done just about everything I used to do to cause a crash and blue screen of death with Ubuntu and it just keeps running except complete power failure causing a immediate shutdown without signing off.
Right now I use Ubuntu 9.10 as a single boot and I am considering expanding as my skills improve into Debian or something similar as a dual boot machine but I am strictly Linux now.):P

jmdirc
January 22nd, 2010, 06:03 AM
Considering it; but haven't made up my mind. Still too new to make the decision.

Worked Windows and Mac for years. Have prefered Macs - but really too expensive to maintain. Windows... please, wasn't Vista a sign Microsoft should go out of business.

Anyway, I started a forum recently about Computer Science and one of the members - OK the only member, is trying to get Eclipse and the Stanford Karel project to run on Ubuntu (the newest version). So, I grabbed this old computer and loaded Ubuntu on it. Took me a few days to get the programs to play friendly, but it gave me a crash course in Ubuntu. Well, now I'm kind of hooked. This old machine has miraculously come alive and now I don't have to pay for another ridiculously priced copy of photoshop, amoung other cool benefits and features using Ubuntu.

So, I'll stick with it for a while and see how it goes. So far, Linux is looking really promising. Oh, the programs run great by the way.

see you around

ranch hand
January 22nd, 2010, 06:10 AM
Right now I use Ubuntu 9.10 as a single boot and I am considering expanding as my skills improve into Debian or something similar as a dual boot machine but I am strictly Linux now.):P
I must warn you that multi-booting is a disease that is hard to kick. I have 16 OS' on here now (no MS). That is counting 12 on my test drive 7 of which are variations of 10.04 (looking good so far).

If you want to try debian I would recommend PhatDebian. It is a Lenny respin using the 2.6.30 kernel so that it has ext4 support. I am on my main drive for the night time and it boots from PhD even though I am using a 9.04 respin. It boots with grub1.96 (grub2 installed from the Lenny repo).

10.04 is fun and boots with grub1.98. That version of grub is very nice.

Have FUN.

d3v1150m471c
January 22nd, 2010, 06:15 AM
you'd have to pay me to run windows.

POWMS
January 22nd, 2010, 06:32 AM
After many crashes and getting to a point where the laptop told me it could not go on like this and needed a fresh installation of XP, I made the jump to Xubuntu. I installed a version on WUBI to play with until I was reasonably confident it was a good alternative OS for me. That was mid 2008. After 3 months of thrashing Xubuntu, I formatted the laptop and installed it directly onto the hardrive. I have not looked back since. No Windows allowed in my house.
Of note, that when Xubuntu was loaded thru WUBI, my wife and kids booted into Linux and by-passed XP every time.
I did buy a Macbook last June, and that is a superb OS too. So I will keep running both, with Linux being our primary OS.
Gaming is on Playstation/Nintendo DS and movie editing is on OSX. Kdenlive is not cutting the mustard just yet.
Without preaching to my friends/family, I am making them aware that there is a good alternative (virus free) OS to Windows. It can only grow in the future as people have bad experiences with MS as I have. And it's FREE!!!!!!!

slonepaul
January 22nd, 2010, 09:01 AM
I made a complete switch to Ubuntu 9.10 on my company laptop a few months ago on the recommendation of our technical support team, and Ubuntu 9.04 on the desktop machines. I have not encountered any problems at all on the desktop machines, but on my laptop I have had hell. 9.10 must still go through a debugging process before you can use it, especially on your work machine. As I use it right now, it times out every minute at the most, requesting my password each time. this is very frustrating and I'm considering a clean install back to 9.04, purely for the sake of my own sanity. cause this will drive me mad.
anyone have any ideas on whether this has been fixed or should I switch back to Ubuntu 9.04???:confused::confused:

Psychodox
January 24th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I have begun to infect my friends and family with linux... mwa... MWHA HAHAHA

k64
January 24th, 2010, 03:22 AM
My mother is hard to convert. However, my father and sister aren't. Personally, if I get Ubuntu, I always install GNOME Shell.

I am the only member of my family that has installed Linux. Everybody else is simply reluctant.

Edit: I have also tried to convert my school, to no avail.

randumnumber
January 24th, 2010, 03:29 AM
100% linux ubuntu since 2008 :)

randumnumber
January 24th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I made a complete switch to Ubuntu 9.10 on my company laptop a few months ago on the recommendation of our technical support team, and Ubuntu 9.04 on the desktop machines. I have not encountered any problems at all on the desktop machines, but on my laptop I have had hell. 9.10 must still go through a debugging process before you can use it, especially on your work machine. As I use it right now, it times out every minute at the most, requesting my password each time. this is very frustrating and I'm considering a clean install back to 9.04, purely for the sake of my own sanity. cause this will drive me mad.
anyone have any ideas on whether this has been fixed or should I switch back to Ubuntu 9.04???:confused::confused:

I switched back to 9.04 very stable on my laptop, 9.10 had some major issues for me.

n0dix
January 24th, 2010, 03:35 AM

I am in the same situation. For the only a change to Window$ is to play CS:S (Counter Strike: Source)!. I try to run with wine but i had a lot of problems :(

Psychodox
January 24th, 2010, 03:40 AM
My mother is hard to convert. However, my father and sister aren't. Personally, if I get Ubuntu, I always install GNOME Shell.

I am the only member of my family that has installed Linux. Everybody else is simply reluctant.

Edit: I have also tried to convert my school, to no avail.

yeah, I'm just pushing it now, they all eewww and aahhhh right now, I think my brother will be the first to switch

n0dix
January 24th, 2010, 03:45 AM
yeah, I'm just pushing it now, they all eewww and aahhhh right now, I think my brother will be the first to switch

If more easy to young people to change, not offense.!! In my home is the same. ;)

loopcoop
January 24th, 2010, 03:50 AM
I'm a super noob.... I've had Ubuntu for about 2 weeks, and have NEVER been happier. When I bought my laptop it had vista -enough said LOL

I am trying to kick my gaming habit... (grades suffer) We'll see how long I can last :)

ranch hand
January 24th, 2010, 04:14 AM
If more easy to young people to change, not offense.!! In my home is the same. ;)
You under estimate the power of Windows. Vista, for instance, was powerful enough to get me, a grumpy geezer, to switch to Linux and ban all MS products from the house.

n0dix
January 24th, 2010, 04:35 AM
You under estimate the power of Windows. Vista, for instance, was powerful enough to get me, a grumpy geezer, to switch to Linux and ban all MS products from the house.

Well not all the people are the same. My parents still live in a cave. However, i force they to use usless firefox. I think it is a beginnig of something. ;). From battle to battle wins the war.

danwosere2007
January 24th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Ergo Proxy is a fairly cool anime noDix, should check out megazone 23 if you get the chance especially part III ;). Linux is the way forward man, be wary of the smug cloud that seems to gather around linux users though, i've noticed it even in myself, conversation with windows user...*windows user - yeah well linux is really hard to use, and i've got a virus scanner on my windows machine so im fine...*me with smug grin on face thinking to self (yeah right chances of this dude/dudette being an unwitting part of someones little robot net....meh 99.999*%). But seriously yeah getting rid of windows is the ebst thing you can do as a human being man.....=P

- King Dan The 3rd.

n0dix
January 24th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Ergo Proxy is a fairly cool anime noDix, should check out megazone 23 if you get the chance especially part III ;).

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I add it to my anime list ;).

danwosere2007
January 24th, 2010, 05:07 AM
No worries dude ;)

outc4st
January 24th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Growing up in a windows world you hear about this marvelous creation that frees you from the chains of winblows and all its foulties. This creation is linux. After finally switching I have no use for windows at all any more I absolutely love linux. Thanks to everyone who assists in the programming and the help to the newbie guys like me. Very much appreciated

msknight
January 24th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Well, when Solaris 2010-2 comes out, my main server will be moved to that so I can use ZFS properly.

Desktop was moved to Kubuntu 9.10 a few months ago-ish and I haven't looked back for day-to-day work, video editing, office, e-mail and stuff.

Things like updating my mobile phone, or satnav software I use XP on Virtual Box, but I don't boot it that often. I have enough resource to give it 1 core, 2gig of RAM and it has a 50gig partition to itself.

That leaves the games; I still play UT2K4 but I have a separate machine for the older 3D stuff that needs XP on hard iron. When Virtual Box gets around the hardware issues, it is goodnight XP on iron.

There is enough software around now to keep me happy that I can't see the need to go to W7.

mrebanza
January 24th, 2010, 11:49 AM

my canon i850 printer.

I share two of these same problems!

does anybody know of a printer that works with ubuntu????

professional video editing software??????

steindor2
January 24th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I share two of these same problems!

does anybody know of a printer that works with ubuntu????

professional video editing software??????

http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php
it is a long list :)

for video editing there is PiTiVi but i don't think i would call it professional

mhousel
January 24th, 2010, 10:42 PM
i aam not familiar with the MS software you are refering to, but i have been able to get lots of MS software to run that isn't supported of mentioned too much on WINE's website...

have you tried to use winetricks?

often it contains some library that installers require... i had to use it to install Native instruments Kore player,
as it wouldn't normally install...you can read about winetricks at www.winehq.com

That sounded like it might be something to try, so I installed and ran it.

Got a few error messages related to .NET which is required by NI software.

Unforunately, now WINE won't install anything anymore and takes a loooong time to launch the few applications
that were successfully installed before (Quick Load Ballistics, Code Wright Editor)

OH well, it was worth the try.

jonathonblake
January 26th, 2010, 12:00 AM
"Unable to mount location"

blah, blah blah.

"Run checkdsk /f on Windows, by rebooting into Windows twice."

That error message is on a system that has Ubuntu 9.10 installed on it.

Things like that are why keeping Windows around seems to be a useful thing.

jonathon

J_dillinger
January 26th, 2010, 04:40 AM
While I like the freedom of the linux platforms. I run the OS that is best suited for my particular needs at the moment, computers are still simply a tool box. The more tools you fill the box with the more problems you can solve. Professionally I'm faced with many different needs on a daily basis. Windows is an integral part of the IT world, and it supports some applications better than linux. OSX does the same thing. Pull the right tool out of the box for your needs. As your development grows from a simple application platform to web based applications to enterprise power houses you will find linux leaves the other options behind quickly...

rudra789
January 26th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I completely use Ubuntu. I keep Windows around for gaming problems (to test if they work in Windows, basically, then boot into Ubuntu and fix (or try to fix) the problem). I haven't "used" Windows in a long time, but it's still there.
my brother shares a portion of the hard drive of my pc desktop otherwise i do all my work on my ubuntu 9.04 and fedora 9 working on ubuntu is a highly rewarding experience because of the longer update support cycle and frankly i ve begun to fall in love with the experience of linux in ubuntu

scotty64
January 26th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Kubuntu is my main OS. I use it for everything except Flash development (Adobes CS3 only runs on Windows or a Mac). But even that is not 100% true - the Virtualbox Windows VM I use for this purpose runs on my Kubuntu system....

alpha-buntu
January 26th, 2010, 03:40 PM

95% I use ubuntu as my main machine since the 25.12.2009. I switched to ubuntu 100% on my netbooks in december 2009.

on my main machine, I have for the 5% a dual boot konfig to play solely games. and in a virtualbox I have 3 apps I can't miss (outlook (hit me please, I love outlook 2003) and german banking program + printserver software for HP printer)

the reason for switching was 100% hardware-support on netbook. 90% of all my fav apps are included in ubuntu, just had to add skype and was done. there was NO driver hassle, no "google, search, download, install" - just apt-get, no virusscanner, and so on..

after testing ubuntu in live and productive on netbook, i tried on the main system. custom build machine. had som minor glitches with the x-fi soundcard, but I set that up.

I am working as an MCSE / on windows 2003 network. but at home, I was very fed up with the retourning bugs, virii and stupid update managers on the crappy windows xp.

now, apt-get updates everyhting with one click, synaptics updates what I want with 1+n clicks.. no more virus scanner necessarry, 100% hardware performance.

joe10
January 30th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I just switched to ubuntu a week ago and i'm not very savy with computers anyway. windows was easyer. but i got tired of the thing crashing, and all the viruses and crap. so far ubuntu seems to almost everything i need except play some audio files from my church i do want to get that working, but otherwise ubuntu is great.

mamamia88
January 30th, 2010, 06:04 AM
almost i still run windows 7 on my netbook for slightly better battery life and it gets a wireless signal on campus where ubuntu doesn't

steve_steve
January 30th, 2010, 06:23 AM
I've been thinking about making the switch for years (been dual-booting). XP just died last week, and I don't seem to have the motivation to fix it. I've been doing everything I have to, as well - if not better - in Ubuntu.

XP is not much longer for this world anyway, and I'm not interested in running Vista7.

archangel_micheal
January 30th, 2010, 08:53 AM
i just completely erased windows xp. and installed ubuntu 9.10 and i am amazed at how easy it is to run, if someone just tries to learn some commands. i love it.

death to windows whatever version is running out there now. i hated vista when it first came out and went back to windows xp, thinking that windows 7 would be a os done completely from scratch. but microsoft just throw some bulky fancy features onto vista and repackaged it and people are busy fighting in lines to get it. so i just said to myself, time to move on to something better, so after some testing with different linux os, i decided on ubuntu and do not regret my decision to leave windows for good.:P

crtlbreak
January 30th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I just switched to ubuntu a week ago and i'm not very savy with computers anyway. windows was easyer. but i got tired of the thing crashing, and all the viruses and crap. so far ubuntu seems to almost everything i need except play some audio files from my church i do want to get that working, but otherwise ubuntu is great.

Welcome to the world of Ubuntu Linux ...... ;)
You have made a wise swap ...... if you need any help with any issues - post it on the forum - there are many people more than willing to help.
Regards

chromedome
January 30th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I switched back in 2007. I'd been using an ancient Win 98 machine, and decided that I had no further interest in running Windows. I started with Edgy, and have been with Ubuntu ever since (currently running Jaunty, will move up to Karmic someday soon).

I have a secondary hard drive containing a complete XP filesystem for someone else's use, but haven't booted to Windows myself since configuring and testing my current computer back in the early summer.

I was a pretty knowledgeable DOS user, and sold and supported Windows systems from Win 286/386 through '98, but I certainly wasn't a hardcore geek/power user (wrote pretty decent batch files, once upon a time). I found Ubuntu/Gnome pretty straightforward to adapt to. For my money, it's an easier n00b platform than Windows is, these days.

neiljansons
February 1st, 2010, 02:51 AM
I have been working towards this for a couple of years and took the jump late last year.
When I first bought my latest notebook (Dell Inspiron 6400) it came with Windows Vista Business. I still had an old copy of MS Office that I used on it.
I quickly got sick of Vista and reinstalled my old WinXP pro and the machine ran much better.
The next thing I did was to dump MS Office and install Open Office. I haven't looked back on that decision and Open Office keeps getting better.
After a while I had to reinstall WinXP as it just ties itself in knots and reinstalling is often the best way.
I then installed VirtualBox so I could run Ubuntu (I dislike dual booting unless I really need to) and managed to test various scenarios and pieces of software to see how realistic a move to Ubuntu would be. I also installed WinXP under VirtualBox to test that as a backup strategy.
Finally I went out and bought a 500gb drive and swapped it for the 160gb drive in the Dell and installed Unbuntu.
After so many years of working with MS OS's (starting with MSDOS 2.something) and every version of Windows, using Ubuntu as my primary OS has been a jump but not one I am regretting.
My most serious problem is the lack of printer driver support for the Toshiba copier I need to print to. The Toshiba linux driver is very poor and nowhere near as good as the one for windows. My only solution at this stage is setting up my documents in Open Office on Unbuntu and then when I am ready to print firing up WinXP under VirtualBox.
see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1382569 for details

TironN
February 1st, 2010, 03:08 AM
Its amazing that you have gotten 620+ pages. Really shows the power of ubuntu!!!

daniemma
February 1st, 2010, 03:31 AM
I too just made the switch- contracted a virus while on Windows Vista- went down to Windows XP and could not believe how restrictive Windows has made their whole system- I downloaded countless drivers and still ran into the same problems.
I had tried Ubuntu briefly to save some files and was instantly drawn to the set up. On a whim I went back to it and realized how much more I could do. Wiped Windows XP completely and didn't look back.
Still working out some knicks but love all the support and software that is provided! ^^

buddyd16
February 1st, 2010, 03:57 AM
The only things keeping me from a complete switch are my iphone and some sound issues I have with my tvtuner.

snakeman21
February 1st, 2010, 04:14 AM
It's great to hear stuff like this. Microsoft made their customer base through advertising. Linux has made its mark from people trying it and finding out how much better it is. I was the same way. I just wanted to see what it was like.

I haven't looked back.

Shark_AtK12
February 1st, 2010, 05:41 AM
I dabbled with Ubuntu before and tried it out but always went back to Winxp. A couple weeks ago I decided to try it again and after spending time messing around with it and checking out the different programs, it is so much faster. Everything i do it so much easier for me. I recently have been finding myself in Ubuntu all the time and only switching over to WinXP for Skyping( I haven't gotten Skype to work to my liking yet). Honestly I just been lazy and haven't switched fully over yet. Once my next break from work comes i will be erasing any reminiscence of Windoz from my PC.

iandizion713
February 1st, 2010, 06:02 AM
i have switched to Ubuntu 9.10 from windows xp...Ubuntu has everything i want and need. Only thing i can no longer do is play some games...but i dont care, thats why i got a wii(which has Linux) and a xbox 360.

Cosimix
February 2nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
I called an exorcist about 3 years ago to get rid of MS Windows from my house, and now I have been running linux since then. The good thing for me is that I now work for a company where there is only LINUX and nothing else!!! I feel like living in a dream.

For those who are interested in knowing GNU/Linux (born geeks), I recommend you should get rid of the desktop graphical environment and GUI's and just use the CLI (bash) for everything, which seems a bit nasty in the beginning but that's actually where the true power of Linux resides. I can't stand administrator who feels like linux guru by using the fancy RedHat administration tools. What do you do when it comes to trouble shooting?

Solethara
February 2nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
I was running Win XP, but whatever Anti-Virus I try, they would always hog system resources and that makes already slow Windows even more slower. But other than that I had no problems.

When I first tried to switch, I met wireless problems, ndiswrapper and such... It was pretty annoying. Also I had problems with 720p media.So, I switched back to XP at that time.

But when I plugged internet connection and get rid of wireless, I instantly switched back. Reason is simple: Figuring out your OS is fun. And whatever Windows can do, Ubuntu can do it even better. I like how I can customize literally everything. True, Windows got theme managers and such but any program on windows is 30$, when comes to programs on Win, some "clever" people is always after noob Windows users. There are of course cracks and such, but why bother?

I really like Ubuntu, my computer is windows free for nearly 3 weeks now. And I must say when it comes to computers, switching to Ubuntu was one of the best decision I have ever made.

AlmaTlust
February 5th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I have been Windows-free for about 2 1/2 years now and am VERY happy with Ubuntu (besides temporary frustrations in some cases). I work in a pretty big organisation(~6.000 members worldwide), and there is a small linux user group. We're working on converting the rest... ;-)

Tim_nz
February 5th, 2010, 12:21 PM
i have used windows since windows 3.11 up until windows 7, tried ubuntu and completly got rid of windows. Linux is a breath of fresh air!!

manoriax
February 5th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I have been Windows-free for about 2 1/2 years now and am VERY happy with Ubuntu (besides temporary frustrations in some cases). I work in a pretty big organisation(~6.000 members worldwide), and there is a small linux user group. We're working on converting the rest... ;-)

I really hope you'll be successful. ^^

HDave
February 5th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Personally, I've been Windows free for the past 1.5 years and loving it. Especially now that Bibble 5 is out and I've switched from Adobe Lightroom.

Professionally, I still keep a Windows VM around for Outlook and Powerpoint. Although the OpenChange project looks like it could help make Outlook/Exchange from Microsoft a thing of the past, OpenOffice is still a far cry from Microsoft Office. :-(

titico
February 5th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I recently changed to linux.
Its perfect, I don´t miss windows at all!

aeon.flux
February 6th, 2010, 08:48 AM
after 6 months of dual-booting and virtualizations 'm currently 100% linux user and big windows hater :)

mojo2012
February 6th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I installed Ubuntu on my "standard" pc, because Windows sucks in most cases. 7 years ago I was really happy with my WinXP. But since Mac OS X showed me, how a really good OS should look like and work, I simply don't want to use it anymore, because it lacks so many features (Exposé, Quicklook, Coverflow, file tagging/comments/coloring, and many more).

To be honest, I'd really prefer to run Mac OS X (hackintosh) on my PC, but unfortunately my ATI Radeon X800 is not supported in 10.5 and 10.6. And all the other stuff I need doesn't work either (printer, scanner, tv card).
So I decided to run try Windows 7. It's really great and a big leap forward for the windows plattform. But Unfortunately it doesn't support my Canon i560 printer, my WinTV Nova DBB-S and my old SCSI scanner. I can't blame Apple here, because OS X is not made for running on a "normal" PC. But I blame Microsoft, because all the hardware did run in WinXP ...

So back to Ubuntu: after dozens of hours of configuring I managed to get rid of most of Ubuntu's ugliness and made a good looking OSX like desktop (screenshot).

I really like it. But there is still much to be done to be able to compete with Mac OS X, eg:

The UI has to be simplified/unified. I'd prefer less theming possibilities and a better integrated UI over millions of options.
Installing (lastest versions of) applications has to be more easy.I don't want to compile anything. I want it to work like on Mac OS X: installing applications by simply dragging and dropping the application bundle to /Applications/

Despite the fact that running games doesn't work very well, I think Linux, and Ubuntu in particular, is equal or even better then Windows up to 7 in many cases. There are just a few things that I really like to use Windows: programming in Visual Studio/dotNET is a dream. No Eclipse, MonoDevelop, Netbeans or whatsoever can be compared in terms of usability and functionality (imho).

But as a Mac user (that really uses MacOS X's technologies) Ubuntu simply doesn't offer enough functionality and usability/comfort.

So my ranking:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard
(big gap)
Ubuntu
Windows

tacitdynamite
February 7th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I totally switched. It's hard sometimes, for instance, when I want to author searchable pdf documents with rich layout, when I don't care to take four times as long authoring complex documents in gimp as I would in photoshop, or when I want to take part in some dialog about a piece of MAX/MSP code. But I think it's worth it in the end ...

ElSlunko
February 7th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I'm a photographer & I use Ubuntu / Linux exclusively. Only have windows installed on this machine for my girlfriend and her fallout addiction :).

santhony
February 7th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I'm finally Windows Free on all my stations..

Windows is now just like an application run in Virtualbox.

fewt
February 7th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I have been "switched" since 1996.

Is there a prize?