PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

shadowfax1
October 28th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Not a window in the house but somehow there's more light...

fancypiper
October 28th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Not a window in the house but somehow there's more light...<snarf>http://www.icalledit.com/forums/images/smilies/undwech.gif

XDevHald
October 28th, 2009, 03:33 AM
<---- 100% Linux user. (Dualboot with Windows)

Wife is 100% Winblows user... I can't get her to convert, she's stubborn.

VTBuc
October 28th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I have. I used to have an eMachines laptop(piece of crap) that had a Broadcom wireless card that for some reason just wouldn't work with ndiswrapper. However, the motherboard fried and I'm done with that.

I now use a slightly older desktop and run Ubuntu solely on it. It's a Pentium 4 so not top-of-the-line by any means, but with linux it runs smoother than anyone else's computer with Windows. The only issues I've had are mandatory programs that my major required of me, but WINE is serviceable enough to use them.

Pacey Garnet
October 29th, 2009, 12:02 AM
What's the best way to learn to use Linux?

Johnsie
October 29th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I'm a professional programmer. Not using windows is not an option for me. I need to see what software looks like on the users machines. Also, .NET is by far the best IDE available to professionals.

ranch hand
October 29th, 2009, 03:15 AM
What's the best way to learn to use Linux?
Download this;

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1052065

When you install go to this site for help walking through setting your system up;

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Jaunty

Replace the "Jaunty" in the address to match what you are installing.

And the best way to learn to use Linux is to use Linux and not something else. I recommend Ubuntu. I would go so far as to recommend Jaunty.

Karmic is very new (Release is tomorrow) and will still have some bugs that you do not want to deal with. Jaunty is very stable now, perfect for starting out on.

manoriax
October 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM
You grow with your tasks, so just use Ubuntu and don't let little bugs or something make you crazy. ^^

Milt15
November 1st, 2009, 11:03 AM
I made the switch a year and three months ago

petermck
November 1st, 2009, 01:07 PM
Day to day I have been running a completely Ubuntu system for over 3 years now. I still have XP Pro on a dual boot partition, but only boot into it once aq month or so to get the updates.

altufaltu
November 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM
I tried moving completely to Ubuntu but was set-off by following reasons:
1. Pathetic playback speed of .swf files (even simple kids games). They play like a charm on Windows.
2. The broker that I use to trade stocks has java applet that requires msjava.
3. I have built a local website for my own use, which uses MS Access (well, MS Access driver is enough for me). MS Access is the only simple RDBMS that I have seen which gives replication facility out of the box!

- Altu

zs735
November 1st, 2009, 02:28 PM
On ubuntu 9.10; on issue before was wireless functionality which is now resolved.

nelsondovale
November 1st, 2009, 04:13 PM
At home we've got rid of Windows since 2006 :D : I, my grandmother, my girlfriend and my brother are running only Ubuntu since then.

I don't have that much trouble with games, perhaps cause the ones I play I can run on Wine and, mostly, I am really into free and open source games.

scout4536
November 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM
I use Linux now, will never go back to windows. Using Ubuntu 9.04 and loving it....no issues what so ever on Dell Mini 10. Not upgrading to 9.10 til later on. All my comps now run Linux Ubuntu.

scottishbloke
November 1st, 2009, 07:26 PM
I have completely moved to linux,fell in love with it the minute i started using it and ive never looked back and never will:KS

johnboy1313
November 1st, 2009, 11:01 PM
at home i use Ubuntu exclusively, i still have to use windows at work, but such is life. i also use Fedora 9 a little when at my mother in law to be's house, that was how i "fixed" her problem with windows, put a linux system on it, she likes it better now so im not complaining

ranch hand
November 1st, 2009, 11:19 PM
I was born in Sparrow Hospital, Lansing.

Always good to see another person from Mich. on here.

tahitiwibble
November 1st, 2009, 11:59 PM
at home i use Ubuntu exclusively, i still have to use windows at work, but such is life. i also use Fedora 9 a little when at my mother in law to be's house, that was how i "fixed" her problem with windows, put a linux system on it, she likes it better now so im not complaining

johnboy, please tell me why Fedora for your in-law to be and not Ubuntu?

second.exodous
November 2nd, 2009, 01:41 AM
I switched right before XP BETA came out, however long that is. Was a Gentoo user, back then the only Linux that everything just worked, and then when Ubuntu 8.04 came out I started using it instead because I didn't have the time to maintain a Gentoo box(lots of RTFM and posting on forums).

Have upgraded to 9.10 but thinking of going back to 9.04 just because Handbrake 0.9.3 doesn't work anymore and the svn2907 just doesn't have the presets I want.

Not really a gamer anymore, I have my DS and (hopefully) soon my Pandora handheld.

Myke.
November 2nd, 2009, 02:11 AM
Ive switched because xp broke :P
The only thing i dont like is no itunes.. but w/e
ubuntu is beast<3

Vaxon
November 2nd, 2009, 04:10 AM
Sure there is no itunes
but many alternatives

Banshee
SongBird
Amarok

mamamia88
November 2nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
i like having options so i will never commit to one os. i dualboot windows 7 and karmic right now. and in the future i plan on adding a mac to my collection. i am a geek and will continue to use whatever i can get my hands on and won't tie myself down

matchstich
November 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
i like having options so i will never commit to one os. i dualboot windows 7 and karmic right now. and in the future i plan on adding a mac to my collection. i am a geek and will continue to use whatever i can get my hands on and won't tie myself down

i hear ya. if i wasn't so broke all the time, would like to have a mac and try windows 7---with a touch screen monitor.

perhaps when i win the lottery. for now, am happy with 9.10 and the other one--forgot what i have on the other box.

bgreenaway
November 2nd, 2009, 11:44 PM
Still very, very happy with 8.10 on my System76 Pangolin and staying there for the time being. I love Amarok 1.4, but Amarok 2 is a steaming pile. Run 9.04 on my work desktop in an Active Directory domain and that runs faster than my old XP setup.

Just love Ubuntu and will never go back to Micro$oft although I still run a copy in XP in VirtualBox (just for iTunes, really). View reinforced after watching the missus' Vista laptop take a dump for the nth time!

rbaleksandar
November 3rd, 2009, 12:47 AM
Will wipe out WinXP from my laptop this month. First want to make sure I can install Win on my external hard drive (virtual machine is cool, but not everything can run as good as a native installed OS). I need Win not only for gaming (I play mostly old game many of which run in DOS so a DOSBox is fine for me :D) but for development. But I love Ubuntu. The thing is:

- when I install Windows, I think "Cool. Easy to use, no problems. Many big companies work with it and support it (drivers, applications etc.). And than the big sh*t happenes without any obvious reason. I start wondering what I did 'cause everything is made to be as simple as ABC and yet I managed to ruin it;

- when I install Ubuntu, I think "Cool. They say it's difficult to use at start. There are many problems with hardware and software companies not giving sh*t about it." And yet it runs so smooth. I have encountered 2-3 problems (one of which is pain in the a*se but doesn't ruin the system) so far (using it for almost 5 months now (not counting years of usage on VMs).

They say Linux drivers are difficult to find/install/blablabla. Well, it took less than 10 minute for my Ubuntu to find and install all that was needed after the first startup. Everytime I reinstall my Windows (happenes once per 1-2 years - I take care of my OS :D), I need damn 2 hours and more to install, restart and God knows what. And at the end something's not working. :D:D:D How cool is that?!

Final words - definitely Ubuntu is my choice and will do it the complete transfer and rebirth this month. :P

Kind of agree with mamamia88. Hopefully installing on external USB drive will do the trick. :)

Spccowboy
November 3rd, 2009, 01:34 AM
Sure there is no itunes
but many alternatives

Banshee
SongBird
Amarok
There are alternatives, which work great unless you're like me and use an iPhone. Thus I still keep virtualbox windows for syncing with iTunes. Otherwise I have been completely switched over for about a year now.

mtch
November 3rd, 2009, 01:38 AM
Started using linux/ubuntu now as a user. strange world considering iḿ a certified microsoft pro but he sometimes u nedd to do wild stuff in your life ..

Tried some older versions of the whole linux world , suse redhat mandrake etc then ubuntu came and somehow it made fun, now with the latest 9.10 version yeah im fallen for it

except that i cannot stand a few thing but guess its getting used to ..

im using mainly laptops and its running smooth even on the older machines running it on Dell laptops and didnt have to look for drivers or whatsover .... besides a few games ,, goodbye to the boys in redmond:p

paulqueen
November 3rd, 2009, 01:42 AM
i just recently (few weeks ago) decided to finally make the switch. i tried a old version of redhat YEEARS ago and didnt understand it and thus didnt like it cuz i didnt have the patience to learn something new and to understand the benefits involved vs windows.

after gettin xubuntu 9.04 up and goin i was liking it... then 9.10 updated, and even better in my limited opinion. im still workign things out here and there and tweaking stuff, mainly to try to get some games working and figure out what media players i like best and such...

soon i plan on focusing on the daunting task of learning the whole terminal and code thing... seems similar to DOS at times ...but yes, im very excited and glad to be on board.

i love the whole open source philosophy. :KS

Myke.
November 4th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Sure there is no itunes
but many alternatives

Banshee
SongBird
Amarok

Yes ive seen them. Getting a mac down the road this year, So im not gonna bother.

There are alternatives, which work great unless you're like me and use an iPhone. Thus I still keep virtualbox windows for syncing with iTunes. Otherwise I have been completely switched over for about a year now.
Same here, I have a itouch. but like i said, Once i get that mac im gonna svideo it onto my tv and 100% remove windows on this machine, Including virtualbox.

phend-one
November 4th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Ubuntu has come a long way since Warty. I always test a new version in VirtualBox from Windows.

I had tried about 6 months ago to make a permanent switch to Linux (tried Mint 5 or 6, then Arch (which was beyond my comprehension)). Ended going back to Win7 Beta in 1 month after breaking Mint and failing on getting Arch to work.

Played with the new 9.10 and I admit I have fallen hard for it. I really believe it's gotten to the point where it is usable and allows you to get things done (as opposed to always trying to fix that thing that doesn't work). I even dual booted it. I'm in love...

Besides the occasional game (Nexuiz has my attention now :)) in Windows and iTunes for iPhone, I don't know if I'll go back to Windows 7 much.

This is going to be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Thank you Ubuntu team and community! ):P

note32
November 4th, 2009, 10:08 AM
i have):P

kyuubi777
November 4th, 2009, 10:09 AM
i use microcrap os 7 only for itunes.... so i can reinsert my iphone's firmware when it gets too unstable from messing w/ it. :D
other than that it is ubuntu for life!

Tigrrr
November 4th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I have switched to Linux 3.5 years ago... Fedora though... now I'm trying Ubuntu 9.10 on my netbook...

ranch hand
November 4th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I have switched to Linux 3.5 years ago... Fedora though... now I'm trying Ubuntu 9.10 on my netbook...
Fedora is fine, the title of the thread does not mention Ubuntu, just Linux.

pantone186
November 4th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Binned windows for ever and ever and ever......................

shushek
November 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I've completely switched to Ubuntu (currently using Ubuntu 9.10). Though I was earlier for the last one year or so was using a dual boot of 8.04 and Xp, but somehow, Xp gave up on me and i decided to migrate completely to Linux. I'd say that there is nothing that i can think of which cant be done in ubuntu if its in XP or any other windows. If microsoft is pitching on looks and usuability, then I'd like to inform them that Ubuntu has come a long way with that and some of the features are just amzing which we cant see in windows.

It microsfts last try before it collaps completly;)

bye for now):P

ancientpaint
November 4th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I am a 100% Linux now. Although I might dual boot with windows 7 when I buy a better machine so i can play some can play video games.

mr.ivan
November 4th, 2009, 07:52 PM
i'we been dual for some 4 yrs and i am full linux for 2 yrs now... first mandriva then jaunty & now karmic..

rectagonal
November 4th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Pure Linux for four years... Pure Mac OS for one year before that ... Pure BeOS for three years before that ... Dual booted BeOS & Windows before that...

jward3010
November 4th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I still stick with Windows sometimes for speed and efficiency on certain machines (gnome or X or something just don't run well or the drivers are no good) and pretty much because I have an iPod and need that dastardly piece of "BLEEEP" called iTunes. Very few reasons apart from that.

To be fair I like the sleeker design of Windows and hate the chunkiness of Gnome, on a laptop it uses TOO much space. And on a desktop @ 1280 X 1024 it really likes to take up space. Everything is SO FAT!

digital-daniel
November 4th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I played around with a duel boot with 8:10 and then 9.04 and when the new version came out I backed up and then junked windows XP. It's like having a whole new laptop. Delicious!

LxndrPhnx
November 4th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I use Ubuntu 99% of the time. I have Windows 7 installed for games (when i can find the time to play them). I've used Ubuntu for a year now. I started with Ubuntu 8.10 a few days after it came out (pure coincidence). I love Linux, and there is now way I'm switching back to Windows.

And @jward: Rythymbox works perfectly with my ipod. Gtkpod works for reading music off of it, but I could never get it to write to it properly.

Hilgo
November 4th, 2009, 09:19 PM
We switched to ubuntu early july this year and we (wife and me) have been happy with it ever since. I had been on and off ubuntu (and other distro's) since 6.06 iirc but when the wife had her netbook and got used to the linux distro on that i decided to make the move and completely remove windows instead of using dual boot.
First few weeks were dodgy but now that we both got used to ubuntu we don't ever want to go back to windows. Every day, when i boot the computer, i'm amazed how fast it boots compared to my pc @ work which runs windows xp (and has superior hardware).

Syirrus
November 5th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

I feel you pain or enjoy it. I love me games and running them in linux with wine, just doesn't cut it. I just dual boot. Maybe one day..... one day...

what, what?
November 5th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I almost went back to windows because I wasnt able to play my favorite game Combat Arms (http://combatarms.nexon.net/) but then I learned there was Urban Terror, Nexuiz, Alien Arena, etc, and all those games are equal if not, more fun than combat arms. And I had enough with viruses so then I have completly switched, and never plan going back to windows.

M1GEO
November 5th, 2009, 03:53 AM
I started using linux (Debian) around 2003. Since 2005 I have been completely free. I can do everything under linux that I need to do. Mainly internet, email, movies, etc. I do have difficulty using ubuntu to program FPGAs for my degree/research. Ubuntu 9.10 really hasn't helped with that, as it seems to ignore my udev rules :( But yes, Entirely Linux :)

GenePayne
November 5th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I have fully switched-over to linux from windows. I finally have been able to find enough good video editing tools on linux to do what I want for home movie editing. I have to use multiple tools to do what I want, instead of having everything in one package as I did with Adobe Premier Elements. Dual-booting to windows to do video editing was the last thing that was holding me back from completely switching over.

mwalimu54
November 5th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I formatted my HD for a clean install of 9.10 wiping out a copy of Vista that I had not used in over 6 months. All Ubuntu now at home, but at school I still use XP.

tuahaa
November 5th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I completely use Ubuntu. I don't have windows installed on my computer. Ubuntu (and derivatives, actually) has everything you need. Its awesome!

On another topic, I want a UNR EeePC badly :mad:

yurx cherio
November 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Linux is my primary OS. I have XP installed as a Virtual Machine running under VBox. There is no reason to have physical installation of Windows any more. VBox has pretty good USB support and as long as your CPU supports hardware virtualization your virtual Windows will run as good as if it was physically installed.

I am 99% Linux. I use Windows (virtual box) only for Netflix (online movies) and to connect to my car chip via USB cable.

eolson
November 5th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I've been totally Linux for at least 10 years. Many different distros.

eopi
November 6th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I haven't found the perfect OS.

I have gone back to my MS Windows partition and it doesn't load - BLUE screen.

I have two computers, both dual, but only one that runs MS Windows XP. I did love PC gaming - Shooter games butI'm over it. Spent to much time doing that.

But wish I could go wireless on my laptop but my hardware is bad or Ubuntu can't connect to my wireless adapter, some had success with patch and others no.

So I'm screwed with both OS's, but I'll stick with Ubuntu, apathy.

One day there will be a perfect computer and a perfect OS. Ones that you don't have to massage and finagle.

Zoot7
November 6th, 2009, 01:34 AM
4 Years using Linux now. I'm using it for about 90% of my computing needs these days. The other 10% is games, home recording apps and some Engineering apps (Labview etc.). Games are the main one, I'm a gamer at heart.

ranch hand
November 6th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I haven't found the perfect OS.

I have gone back to my MS Windows partition and it doesn't load - BLUE screen.

I have two computers, both dual, but only one that runs MS Windows XP. I did love PC gaming - Shooter games butI'm over it. Spent to much time doing that.

But wish I could go wireless on my laptop but my hardware is bad or Ubuntu can't connect to my wireless adapter, some had success with patch and others no.

So I'm screwed with both OS's, but I'll stick with Ubuntu, apathy.

One day there will be a perfect computer and a perfect OS. Ones that you don't have to massage and finagle.
What on earth would you want that for? Where is the FUN?

Sorry, but not very, couldn't resist.

superskateman
November 6th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Ugh, I would have it completely installed, but:
1. iTunes. I know, I know, gtkPod, but I mean, I use the App store, and if my iPod is reset, I'm screwed.
2. My sister uses the computer, and she would go all crazy without being able to install AIM again, even though I have Pidgin on the computer.
3. Work. All my work is on it.
4. Programs. I use certain programs windows-only, and wine is a bit slow for me.

andrea000
November 6th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I completely use Ubuntu.They make something else Lol:)
No just kidding i left windows over a year ago and have
never looked back.Now i run ubuntu on all my pc's and
my server.

JevonPenguin
November 6th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Been using Linux for 8 years. Started with mandrake and Suse, switched over to Kubuntu and stuck with it for years. The only reason I did not completely erase the Vista partition I received with the laptop was the fact that all engineering programs run on Windows (SolidEdge, AutoDesk, CAD), and the docx support is a bit rough, which I need for lab reports. I also cannot connect to the Internet while at home due to the lack of dialup modem driver support for my system. Soon though, I will find a way to go 100%.

nerdy_kid
November 6th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I only use Windows to buy music off iTunes or Zune... and to use a program i bought to remove the DRM. Then i breath a sigh of relief and head back to ubuntu.

Dark Hornet
November 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I use only Ubuntu, and I play around with Arch -- loving it so far. No windows (at home that is) for me. Even my kids and wife use Ubuntu, and don't even know the difference.

Darkhornet

steev182
November 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I just cut my ties with Apple today!

Bought a T-Mobile Pulse (currently the only pay as you go phone on the market) so I can now put music on it from my Linux desktop. At the moment, Banshee doesn't sync with it, but apparently it soon will.

So, my home is now:

-Dell Poweredge SC440 (Archlinux)
-Dell Mini 9 (Archlinux)
-T-Mobile Pulse

ranch hand
November 6th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Been using Linux for 8 years. Started with mandrake and Suse, switched over to Kubuntu and stuck with it for years. The only reason I did not completely erase the Vista partition I received with the laptop was the fact that all engineering programs run on Windows (SolidEdge, AutoDesk, CAD), and the docx support is a bit rough, which I need for lab reports. I also cannot connect to the Internet while at home due to the lack of dialup modem driver support for my system. Soon though, I will find a way to go 100%.
Get a hardware modem, usb or serial. They do not need drivers and work a lot better anyway.

As you probably know, the modem "negotiates" with the one at the other end for your connection and connection speed. Software, or "winmodems" are kind of wimpy in "negotiating". Hardware modems "negotiate" with a club. With a nail in it.

This results in some speed increase and a lot of increase in connection stability, if the load on the ISP server is high, the hardware modems hang on to the connection at the expense of the folks with winmodems.

Martin Rabson
November 12th, 2009, 01:42 AM
From what I read Windows is mainly for gamers (and mugs as once said by Bill Gates) but although I am not one of them I am still forced to keep XP on my dual systems because there isn't a driver available for my Creative Live! CAM Vista IM and also PPS/PPT files cannot be viewed with audio. I know...buy a new Linux compatible webcam and forget M$ originated programs. :)

I use what works Linux or Microsoft depending on the chore at hand. However sometimes the 'besting one upping arrogance' of Linux devotees leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

It a shame as many distributions of Linux are really nice to use, but I feel people who are using Microsoft products who may be thinking of trying Linux see this attitude on all the Linux Forums and are put off.

Although I hope not; it's just that this constant Microsoft user bashing gets a bit tired after all these years.

wewantutopia
November 12th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I have a dual boot Ubuntu/xp system. Haven't booted into the XP drive in months.

That said, I do run xp in virtaulbox to run ArcGIS, microsoft money (couldn't get my .mny files to convert properly and they hold WAY too much data to restart) and activesync for my mobile device.

UBUNTU RULES! My computer is WAY faster than it ever was running XP!

bigbrovar
November 12th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I completely switched to linux on my PC and Laptop some 2 years ago. But on mobile i ran symbian s60. However I have set to fix that by pre-ordering the Nokia GNU/Linux/Debian/Maemo :p Powered N900

Zorian144
November 12th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I will most likely do a complete switch very soon, if I can get a decent N64 emulator that plays DK64 and a transparent theme.

If anybody has a black, transparent GNOME theme, please PM me it :)

kkady32
November 12th, 2009, 08:00 AM
since ubuntu 7.04

Ampi
November 12th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Switched to Linux (Fedora Core 4) since February 2006! And within 6 months to Ubuntu. Have it on my desktop and netbook.
Because I have a 6-year-old laptop leftover I put XP on it, but it is only for my samsung phone software, that still doesn't work very well through wine. As soon as that is fixed, Windows will finally leave my life completely.

jocheem67
November 12th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I switched to Ubuntu three years ago starting Dapper ot Etch..always kept a Windows xp partition though and still do..for music/dj'ing needs.
Now I keep UNR on my netbook, laptop and desktop are now Arch. Will be using this one from now on, maybe I'll try Gentoo later.
It's nice to use different distro's and Arch is now my thing as it learns me a bit more about Linux and how to configure this OS..

OneMixDJ
November 12th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Currently I'm 75% Linux / 25% Windows

I got about 3 XP machines but 6 Linux machines (Ubuntu, Ubuntu Server, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, FreeNAS).

The XP machines are primarily for Audacity (DJing and music conversion) until my skillset is sharp enough on the Linux side, then I'll convert those machines. I have one of them already in mind for Lubuntu.

I just acquired a Acer Aspire E2180 with issues that I plan for a Debian Lenny build once I get the issues worked out (graphics card, mobo, or both). I want to use it as a network file server for music files only and also play music files and burn CD/DVDs when needed.

Because I have a 6-year-old laptop leftover I put XP on it, but it is only for my samsung phone software, that still doesn't work very well through wine. As soon as that is fixed, Windows will finally leave my life completely.

I have a Compaq Presario 1235 laptop with is old but in "like new" condition that I'm trying to put to use on the Linux side. It has a small 4GB HD and 32MB of RAM and it came with Win98. So far I've tried RH 7.2, DSL, & Deli and neither of those work well. RH 7.2 wouldn't boot right, and DSL & Deli doesn't display right on the monitor (very grainy and you can't see anything well). So for that one, my search for a lightweight distro continues. If anyone has suggestions regarding this one, I'm all ears.

joenieburg
November 13th, 2009, 09:05 PM
For my work I still need Windows. I work with Qlikview, Crystal reports And a Delphi written program for windows

The rest is on Ubuntu.
Only thing I came accros now is a new Pinnacle box I got. it is a show center 200 . I was hoping to get it working with VLC or elisa. But haven got it working yet.
But that is the nice thing about Ubuntu u need to get in to the problem to get in solved.

mayby the make Qlikview for ubuntu It is a fine BI tool

Warprunner
November 13th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I have switched entirely except for one program, MS Image Composer. I am trying like mad to be able to use it in KArmic. Once that is done...no reason for me to even look at Windows again! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:K S

Kunkles
November 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I still have my Mac for Photoshop and Flash CS4.
Linux for everything else.

AmbyR00
November 15th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I ditched Dos 5.2 in 1993 in favour of GNU/Linux. Been Microsoft free since.

My laptop runs Xubuntu 9.10, my wife has 64-bit Jaunty, and my 3-year old son loves his gcompris and ktuberling.

Romanrp
November 15th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I have completely switched to linux.
But in my school I am forced to use Xp.
We have fairly slow machines at my school.
Why not run edubuntu?
edubuntu=free,stableish,fast,runs well on cheap and tacky dells.
however i mean try pcbsd 8 which is not linux but similar.

arnab_das
November 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
totally switched to ubuntu! :)

Puzzled Guy
November 16th, 2009, 12:09 AM
only one reason why I didn't cross over to the ubuntu side: I just installed it yesterday abnd am still testing it!:p

GCurry
November 16th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I have about 10 machines networked here at home (we have 9 people in the house). They all used to run XP Pro, but I switched over to Win 7 when the open beta started. I've been watching and experimenting with Ubuntu Linux for about 2 years, and now all the machines dual boot. I have no intention of buying 10 licenses of Win 7 when the beta expires, so am under a deadlined conversion to Ubuntu before then. Let the chips fall where they may. Google is helping the transition, and I'm looking for synergy between Linux and Android.

Harken7
November 16th, 2009, 04:34 AM
AS soon as I learn how to do the things that I enjoy with UBUNTU I will destroy all of my WINDOWS software(just the operating systems.).As of this moment I am unable to get WINE or any other emmulators running.

Vaidok
November 16th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I have managed to switch fully except for my DnD Character Builder. It uses the .NET so WINE does not work. I have to use XP in VirtualBox to handle that, so I can still do it all with out ever rebooting.

benjabean1
November 16th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I completely use Ubuntu. I keep Windows around for gaming problems (to test if they work in Windows, basically, then boot into Ubuntu and fix (or try to fix) the problem). I haven't "used" Windows in a long time, but it's still there.
Same here, except not using Windows to test anything. I only use Windows when I need to copy a DVD, or run a program that can't be run in Ubuntu. (I know, I know, you can copy DVDs in Ubuntu, but AnyDVD is the best of the best.

kennedyjch
November 16th, 2009, 05:53 AM
After having purchased a new PC for the home I decided to install UBUNTU. Been on since 2007.

I still need windows for games, XL (pivot tables and compatibility with work), MindManager and Dragon Naturally speaking.

Apart from these, I believe I can get most of what I need from Ubuntu. Having said that and liking Ubuntu myself, for the casual user (like my parents) in order for Linux to take off, they will need to get popular apps (e.g., turbo tax, PC software to support sewing machines, etc) and other end-user packages in Linux ready format. My 80 year old parents can get windows apps to install and operate pretty well but I believe they would be really stuck with Linux in its current state.

Marrkk
November 16th, 2009, 07:20 AM
hmmm...

Marrkk
November 16th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I've been using Linux since 1997 and am completely Linux.
but of course its not for everyone.

As for being a gamer, well i guess i would just buy a console, but some folks
dont like 'em, and console games are expensive friends say,
another friend regularly buys PC games way cheaper and he's happy.

I do a lot of tech support for windows users, and cant help but feel a little frustrated.

Lets say that , for maybe 80% of users, a regular desktop Linux would be vastly
easier to use, run and maintain than Windows.
I'm not goin back... to what ? windows aero ? .. please !!! :D

<rant>
Within a hour of generic internet use, another friend had a malware incident,
and its not really their fault is it.

Philosophically speaking, you cant and shouldn't expect every Joe average user
to become a security guru or to endlessly perform seemingly esoteric PC maintenance
routines including defrag, scans, updates, and all the other stuff we miss doing. <cough>
these words are meaningless to most people, and are just barriers to them
just getting on and using their computer.

i find it ironic that us 'geeks' who DO have a technical mind for all this, are the ones
who are NOT caught in this 'defrag, scan, fix, defrag, scan, fix' loop of madness,

And yes, those folks, NOT interested in the 'tech' of it all are thrust head first into
this alien world of malware, spyware, virus, trojans, patches, crashes, bloatware, freeware, adware, crapware, shovelware, registration, activation, pirated, genuine, wga, scans, defrags DRM, error reports, privacy, scary hackers, crackers. scams, phishing, bots, infections..
... you get my point..

i mean, within minutes of generic internet use, another friend had a malware incident,
- you know, its not really their fault is it.

its 'information overload' and so it ends up
' i don't know anything about PCs so i just use Norton'
IMO, The windows desktop model is grossly unsuitable,
</rant>

I dont miss Windows, Linux is just where i feel comfortable.
Yes, Linux has its fair share of problems, we all know that, but i think that
Linux and GNU is a far better approach, in concept and execution, for modern computing,
and it always wi;
ll be better than say, the DOS based one. sorry MS.

Anyone who will listen DESERVES a shot at a couple of Linux distros
be it KDE Gnome, Xfce or whatever works for them.
just my Mini rant

Wild horses couldn't drag me back'
73s
Mark_UK

TheBuzzSaw
November 16th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I've been using Ubuntu full time since mid-2006.

Lvcoyote
November 16th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I'm getting closer, I have 3 PC's.... one with XP, one with Win7, and one with Ubuntu 9.10. I do reviews for a web site and sadly the benchmark software we require needs windows, some of them will run on Linux, but in order to have the full complement of tests I have to have windows..... but the list of reasons to need Windows is shrinking all the time.

ajane
November 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Hi!
I would like to switch to Linux but I need Windows for some application, I just install VMware and I have some PB on my console(operating not found)?

Do you know where can I found some information on VMware?

Best regards

Ajane

nskhanolkar
November 16th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I used to use windows but now am a complete linux user (ubuntu)

but still i dont know whether i can play windows games now:popcorn:

Elitist
November 16th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Now that my ATI - card works perfectly, I became 100% Linux user about three months ago. Linux is excellent platform to develop software and very good tool to experiment with IT - studies. What makes Ubuntu THE distribution is it's community. Thank you all!

We'll see if Diablo 3 forces me to install Windows 7 in second HDD.

conradin
November 16th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I manage a network with hundreds of computers. Thousands of webpages, descrete sensors, and networked instruments with crazy properietary softwares. Ill be Fcuking ecstatic if I can get it so everyone is running windows xp or higher on appropraite hardware.

rburkhal
November 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Hi Community,

This is my first post but won't be the last, just had to hit that cliché. Meanwhile on to address the question, No. I do have to keep Windows around, but I don't have to boot Vista up first. Now, Ubuntu is first and Vista is a distant second on the list. Oh by the way, I tried to move Ubuntu in the Boot.ini file to become first in the list but Vista seemed to always supersede my changes, hmm.:shock:
Anyway, I really have two Windows installs. Using VirtualBox that has an XP installation, which I really need to move out of the loop drive and on the the real physical drive. Utilising VirtualBox is really the key to the whole question. Now that I have an XP installation that I can run any windows software, there really is no need to visit Vista. Well, I do use Visual Studio 2008, but I don't miss Vista. I made the hybird choice and would like to figure out how to run the current Vista installation under VirtualBox. I'm going to drop Microsoft like a bad habit the first chance I get. But in the meantime Linux still has a way to go, but not far. #-o
I'm going to install a 64-bit version of Ubuntu on my system (Now that I can use Wubi real good, Grub 1.74 beta has it's issues upon boot-up), although I found in the past that the 64-bit version had less support for video and other hardware, so I remove the installation waiting for day to come when it becomes supported by the mainstream hardware vendors. ](*,)
Using Wubi, I have found that it is a great liberator, freeing the wallet of thousands from Microsoft's greedy, overpriced, poorly tested, and overly praised corporate structure that revolves around excess while sticking to the "meet that deadline" even if we know it doesn't work "correctly" mentality. If I turned in a paper that I knew was a disaster and expected to get an 'A', shame on me. But If I did get an 'A', shame on my Professor! :redface: Finally, I and the rest of the computing world can take a break from the OS wars and get to understanding was Open Software really means. I mean WOW! Many who use a computer really have no idea what its like not to worry about virus's and any number of crazy half backed schemes that have infested the Internet like a human body infested with Herpes, now we got it we can't get rid of it.[-o<

So hail to Microsoft for pushing us all over the edge, really feels great to be flying freely! Thanks. Now for reference, all computers that I plan to build for my family and for anyone willing to try will have a Wubi installation right along with Windows. They will make the choice, but for many Microsoft helped them make the choice by making computing very easy. Ubuntu's charge is to master the same concepts Microsoft used, only do it twice as better than they did.

So far its looking really good, see for yourself. I've included an attachment showing my seamless VitrualBox'd XP playing nicely with my Ubuntu host OS. Hope you like it, I sure do!\\:D/

Robert
:-\"

Kubro
November 19th, 2009, 01:36 AM
I finally made the "complete" switch to Ubuntu just over a month ago! I am LOVING it! It took a while as we have some MS only software at work that I just could not make work in Wine. However with some help from one of our awesome Linux geeks who setup a virtual box for me to run MS on I am FREE. At least it has gone extremely well so far. I've had home machines on Ubuntu for several years, and running my work machine on a Ubuntu USB key for the better part of a year testing different aspects before making the full commitment. I am very very very happy!
As a side note, I've heard some grumblings about Koala, but I upgraded from Jaunty just fine. Worked beautifully in fact. Hat's off to all of you who have made this a wonderful experience, and excellent working environment.

faical117
November 19th, 2009, 02:01 AM
LINUX FOR EVERYTHING ,WINDOWS FOR GAMES and ADOBE SOFTWARES ;)

sudulo
November 19th, 2009, 02:35 AM

Well, I am not a pure Linux user..., no. I can say I have 10 different operating systems in this computer, but truly I use only Ubuntu 9.10 and Debian 5, though I sometimes also use Suse 11.1, and Xp for the desktop edition I must do for some magazines I collaborate to. However, I am considering using Scribus, if only I had a good manual on it...

jerrylamos
November 19th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Not yet.

Dreamweaver a web hosting editor isn't on ubuntu yet.

A bunch (most?) of the people that log onto the web sites are using ******* so we have to keep that running.

Solution? My wife supporting the web sites uses our faster pc's. I use the previous pc's which run just dandy on ubuntu.

Used to be a lot of video on the web didn't run on ubuntu so I had to use ******* for them. Now with karmic most of the web videos run O.K. on ubuntu..

Jerry

Gresley
November 19th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I'd love to go completely linux. Its great for stuff that is done solo but has a long way to go to enable proper collaberative working.

For my personal pc I have XP running in virtualbox simply to run itunes as its the only app that fully supports ipod ntouch and iphone(ironic really that its apple software forcing me to use microsoft). I use Ubuntu 9.10 for everything else.

I've tried running my work pc from live usb really to test whether it is theoretically possible to ditch microsoft altogether, it isnt possible, there are 4 issues:

1) Web based MS Outlook becomes the only way to handle work e-mails and this just doesnt run well in firefox it needs internet explorer. web mail running on web based ie6 in virtualbox keeps crashing when saving email attachments. So there is no real satisfactory solution other than running outlook in native windows. - We also run SAP as our primary business system, the SAP portal just doesnt format correctly in firefox, again it needs internet explorer.

2) swapping word documents between ms word and open office seems to destroy the document formatting if there is anything that uses tables, the same is true of swapping powerpoint presentations between powerpoint and openoffice. Word documents also frequently lose their headers and footers when resaved through open office. Basically therefore unless all your colleagues and clients are also using open office as their primary application there is an issue sharing documents.

3) spreadsheets with macros originating from ms excel mostly dont run in openoffice. Though as a power spreadsheet user I acually prefer building spreadsheets in openoffice as many of the formatting tools are far more user friendly and flexible than in excel.

4) There are no open source equivalents for MS project and MS visio that easily allow file sharing with microsoft users.

samirbasha
November 19th, 2009, 01:16 PM
U can't do that at the present time unless u your pc using is only for very limited things.

halovivek
November 19th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Me... I forgot to switch On the windows vista more than 6 months in my laptop...
Thanks to ubuntu forums... i fixed most problems

ExSuSEusr
November 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Till I can get my games running on Linux, Windows will always be on a partition. :( This makes me a sad panda.

Andrew_P
November 19th, 2009, 07:24 PM

Can't and won't.

It's nearly five years since you posed the question, and Ubuntu is still broken. Every release breaks something else in a serious way; the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Although Linux offers many interesting, free software packages, most of them are so buggy that one can't get any work done. Sound doesn't work properly (Ubuntu 8.10) and is a mess to configure. There are actually two competing sound driver systems in Ubuntu -- a simple one that works and a complicated one that barely works and conflicts with the original simple system. Video is a mess to configure. Configuration screens are missing, requiring the user to delve into arcane files with a text editor. Many of the user interface features and tweaks available to Windows users since Windows 95 (that's 15 years ago!) still are missing in Linux or don't work properly. There are two competing GUI desktops -- Gnome and K -- and they don't share help file systems. Samba is totally fouled up and conflicts with the Uncomplicated Firewall (ufw), so integrating Linux in a Windows network is a royal pain; it's been broken for years, and the designers of ufw seem to be AWOL, so nothing is getting fixed. It's so fragile that once I get something to work, I'm reluctant to change anything, for fear of being unable to get it to work again. (As a matter of fact, if you check into any given software package for Ubuntu, you're highly likely to find that development and bug fixes have stalled two or three years ago as contributors lost interest or moved on due to career or family pressures.)

I've been futzing with Linux for over two years now, and although Ubuntu looked impressive at first, the more I look, the more I'm convinced that Linux will never catch up to Microsoft Windows or Apple. Linux is OK as a learning or hobby tool, but too many things are broken to get serious work done. I'm more likely to (1) stick with Windows 98SE and Windows XP; (2) Migrate to Windows 7; or, (3) get a Mac.

ExSuSEusr
November 19th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Can't and won't.

It's nearly five years since you posed the question, and Ubuntu is still broken. Every release breaks something else in a serious way; the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Although Linux offers many interesting, free software packages, most of them are so buggy that one can't get any work done. Sound doesn't work properly (Ubuntu 8.10) and is a mess to configure. There are actually two competing sound driver systems in Ubuntu -- a simple one that works and a complicated one that barely works and conflicts with the original simple system. Video is a mess to configure. Configuration screens are missing, requiring the user to delve into arcane files with a text editor. Many of the user interface features and tweaks available to Windows users since Windows 95 (that's 15 years ago!) still are missing in Linux or don't work properly. There are two competing GUI desktops -- Gnome and K -- and they don't share help file systems. Samba is totally fouled up and conflicts with the Uncomplicated Firewall (ufw), so integrating Linux in a Windows network is a royal pain; it's been broken for years, and the designers of ufw seem to be AWOL, so nothing is getting fixed. It's so fragile that once I get something to work, I'm reluctant to change anything, for fear of being unable to get it to work again. (As a matter of fact, if you check into any given software package for Ubuntu, you're highly likely to find that development and bug fixes have stalled two or three years ago as contributors lost interest or moved on due to career or family pressures.)

I've been futzing with Linux for over two years now, and although Ubuntu looked impressive at first, the more I look, the more I'm convinced that Linux will never catch up to Microsoft Windows or Apple. Linux is OK as a learning or hobby tool, but too many things are broken to get serious work done. I'm more likely to (1) stick with Windows 98SE and Windows XP; (2) Migrate to Windows 7; or, (3) get a Mac.

I've said in many posts in the past hat Linux is a hobbiest OS not for the power user. I've also said that one of it's greatest weakness is also its greatest strenght - open source. Good in that great things can happen - bad in that we have way too many cooks in the kitchen and no head chef. What works today is broken tomorrow, what people want to work gets ignored, ca sera...

I've always been a firm believe that a new release every six months is rediculous. It's highly counter productive and actually SLOWS the evolution of our beloved OS down considerably. We DON'T need a new version of Ubuntu every few months - what we need is ONE solid, stable version and focus directed on refining the applications and products IT uses. Not a new release then back to the drawing board trying to figure out how to fix something that was working just fine last release.

I really don't see the point of having a new Ubuntu every few months - maybe I'm missing something, but really what the hell is the point?

I would love to buy a Mac, but I am not going to spend, literally, a thousand more for something just for the "cool" look and feel or to be en vouge. Apple has said it will never lower its prices - which is why it will continue to get stomped in the mud by "PCs" in terms of sales. I'd also rather use Windows for gaming and Ubuntu for everything else.

Progress for Linux in general will always be slow in coming - simply due to its very nature. Its fragmented.

BUT I do believe it's still a better alternative for your daily computer needs than Windows.

As I've said if I could get my games to work, I'd have no further use for Windows. However, the problem remains... if I get my games working in this version - what are they going to change in the next couple of releases that will screw everything up again? So, by the simple nature of paranioa I would be foreced to keep a Windows partition "just in case."

Nightstrike2009
November 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I was very close to being in this situation until the farce that is 9.10 was released 3G broadband modems are detected but unable to connect to web, nice for laptop & netbook owners don't you think?

That will make M$ job far easier in discrediting ubuntu, which is a shame but their own fault as it was reported as abug but not fixed before 9.10 was released, meaning we have to resort to using 9.04 if we want internet as downloading new files or downloading fix is not possible with this set up on 9.10, bluetooth also dead as a doornail in 9.10 not good for mobile computing with ubuntu at all.

Ubuntu's 9.10 upgrade lost me hours removing a usable and stable Unbuntu 9.04 for a borked rushed out mess of an OS, the last time i experienced this was M$ that what was what drove me to linux in the first place DOH!

I like many newcomers will be leaving for another distro if the same problems occur with 10.4. I loved Ubuntu but 9.10 has got me very annoyed and looking for a new debian based OS that doesn't make mistakes like this, annoying new converts to linux with stupid mistakes like these will drive newcomers to other distros (Maybe even back to Windows). :(

By Andrew_P: I've been futzing with Linux for over two years now, and although Ubuntu looked impressive at first, the more I look, the more I'm convinced that Linux will never catch up to Microsoft Windows or Apple. Linux is OK as a learning or hobby tool, but too many things are broken to get serious work done. I'm more likely to (1) stick with Windows 98SE and Windows XP; (2) Migrate to Windows 7; or, (3) get a Mac.

I am in same boat mate loosing faith in Linux, I get new users to try it and stupid mistakes make me and others like me look stupid, if 10.4 has same flaws I may even give up and go buy Windows7 thats how annoyed I am. :(

zyxyellowxyz
November 19th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I was very close to being in this situation until the farce that is 9.10 was released 3G broadband modems are detected but unable to connect to web, nice for laptop & netbook owners don't you think?

That will make M$ job far easier in discrediting ubuntu, which is a shame but their own fault as it was reported as abug but not fixed before 9.10 was released, meaning we have to resort to using 9.04 if we want internet as downloading new files or downloading fix is not possible with this set up on 9.10, bluetooth also dead as a doornail in 9.10 not good for mobile computing with ubuntu at all.

Ubuntu's 9.10 upgrade lost me hours removing a usable and stable Unbuntu 9.04 for a borked rushed out mess of an OS, the last time i experienced this was M$ that what was what drove me to linux in the first place DOH!

I like many newcomers will be leaving for another distro if the same problems occur with 10.4. I loved Ubuntu but 9.10 has got me very annoyed and looking for a new debian based OS that doesn't make mistakes like this, annoying new converts to linux with stupid mistakes like these will drive newcomers to other distros (Maybe even back to Windows). :(

I am in same boat mate loosing faith in Linux, I get new users to try it and stupid mistakes make me and others like me look stupid, if 10.4 has same flaws I may even give up and go buy Windows7 thats how annoyed I am. :(

I actually made the switch to Debian Lenny because of 9.10. It takes some tweaking to get compiz and emerald running (mainly emerald), but its worth it. My sound works again! (which has broken since every upgrade since the major one from 8.10 to 9.04 and took weeks to fix, only to get broken again.)

Its sad to see Ubuntu go down the toilet because they rush the releases. I plan on sticking with Debian on the desktop and I'll leave Ubuntu on the laptop for now, until something makes it break. :/

I've been using *buntu for several years now, and this past week is when I finally had enough of my system breaking because something in the upgrade doesn't work like it should. (can't really get more specific than that because I don't have the means of recreating the situation.)

We're probably going to switch my great-aunt and great-uncle's computer to Debian because of this. They are not computer savy, they just need something where they can browse the internet and not get viruses because they clicked on the wrong link. (same goes for their grandchildren that use that computer.)

Nightstrike2009
November 19th, 2009, 08:50 PM
zyxyellowxyz:I actually made the switch to Debian Lenny because of 9.10. It takes some tweaking to get compiz and emerald running (mainly emerald), but its worth it. My sound works again! (which has broken since every upgrade since the major one from 8.10 to 9.04 and took weeks to fix, only to get broken again.)

Funny that as I am considering Debian 5.0 too (Maybe LinuxMint7.0), I am sick of Ubuntu's broken "Upgrade OS's" now its beyond a joke, they need to stop rushing these releases out & make them more stable & less buggy, as an OS reccommended to newcomers this is not the example to set. :(

zyxyellowxyz
November 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Funny that as I am considering Debian 5.0 too, I am sick of Ubuntu's broken "Upgrade OS's" now its beyond a joke, they need to stop rushing these releases out & make them more stable & less buggy, as an OS reccommended to newcomers this is not the example to set. :(

I agree. Yes, Debian is a little more advanced than Ubuntu (as your previous knowledge goes) but their wiki is very indepth and they have the "if this doesn't work, do this" on their pages (specific example I'm refering to is how to install the nvidia drivers). Yes, you may not be able to get the latest and greatest software, but you know what you're getting is stable.
Also, you know you won't be flooded with updates every other day...

glyn white
November 19th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I am just getting what I need off my Vista partition and I'm going Ubuntu wholesale.

Zemblah
November 20th, 2009, 05:10 AM
It was not before a computer crash in 2004 and the imminent requirement of a replacement OS that I tried Linux (Ubuntu) (didn't have my Win install CD at my dorm or something).

My relationship with Ubuntu has always been a turbulent one. I always liked the enormous potential Linux offered, and I also liked how it was an operating system that didn't do some weird stuff behind the scenes, transparency in a way. The software available to the system being free, and some cool additions like compiz surely only made the balance tilt in Linux's favor.

It's a shame though that every time I try a new Ubuntu release, something else seems to not be working. There always is a shopping list of things to do in order to get the system fixed. Full functionality seems to come closer with every new release, but it's not quite there yet. Initial grave lackings are now small discomforts, but still, it means going all the way, and solely Ubuntu is out of the question.

Various software packages need to be emulated in Wine because there just is no decent enough open-source alternative. Wine, which doesn't even always seem to work.

No, I'll stick with dual booting (triple booting actually for now).

It is a powerful platform, and I'll check back the way I did starting from 4.08 now to 9.10, yearly trying on a new version. But I'm guessing, something will always be off, it's just the nature of the beast that needs/tries to work on every possible computer configuration out there.

-Z

avacado
November 20th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Problems dual booting with vista on the new laptop so I solved the problem by ditching viista, I figured I could use virtualbox or WINE but I have not needed either.

The only thing I missed about windows was the single right mouse click photo resize thingy for attaching small copies of 5MB photos to emails, but I am now using the mailpicture debian patch mentioned in another thread and very happy.

Supertramp1138
November 20th, 2009, 08:19 AM
i use linux more often than windows but im still a noob win it comes to linux so i'm too scared to make the switch final

fromthehill
November 20th, 2009, 09:19 AM
almost fully linux(ubuntu 9.10) now:popcorn:

I use vmware with windows 7 for photoshopping and visual studio

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
November 20th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I will make this completely a Linux machine once gaming is figured out. Although I may keep it around for testing and development purposes but in that case I doubt I would need to use more than a virtual machine.

lullabong
November 20th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I would love to erase it.. but 2 things stop me

1. I play spore
2. My husband is doing his phd, we both have dell inspirons with ubuntu/vista on them... as he still has to run some apps on his vista partition and mine is kind of the one that has to come to the rescue in case something happens....
other than that i do not use windows and neither does him...

:D

Lulú

bebox
November 20th, 2009, 09:34 PM
only linux.

openuniverse
November 20th, 2009, 09:43 PM

the8thstar
November 20th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Well, it's been a success for me. Thanks to everyone's help and efforts (kernel developers, bloggers, forum members, etc...) and 2.5 years of learning and perseverance, I have finally found ways to make my hardware fully compatible with Ubuntu a few days ago.

The sense of serenity is awesome: the system is stable and secure yet responsive and tailored to my needs. Finally it just works.

I do not need Windows anymore to print or use my webcam. So Windows is gone.

Thank you all for making this possible. Long live Linux! Long live Ubuntu and its community!

rootless
November 20th, 2009, 10:44 PM
******* hasn't touched my box in two years! I will never go back to it.

MAYBE I could see why a gamer would want to keep ******* around... but honestly, linux gaming and drivers are getting better every day. There are a few really nice looking open source games out there... still, I'm not sure if they will ever be up to par with closed source. Maybe in a decade, who knows?

But, I don't play games- for fun I hack linux! It's more productive, and you learn something. If I do play games, it's at a friends house, as a social thing, on an xbox or somesuch.

mc581
November 20th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I find even Ububntu 9.10 to be a little primative yet. Most of the free stuff like mp3 players and Movie players are so last year in design and function. I use Vista (and love it) and run Win7, Ubuntu, and Win XP in virtual machines for testing and learning purposes. VmWare player v3 lets me try just about anything with out risking my true OS intallation. I won't be switching to Ubuntu any time soon even though I admit it is the best one (linux) to date. Microsoft is the only one that meets all of MY needs so far.

CrusaderAD
November 20th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I made the switch about a year ago. Couldn't be happier. I converted to console gaming for video games. I got tired of updating my pc system constantly to play games and meet requirements. I use linux for everything else. I'm not Anti Windows... I just think Ubuntu is FAR more efficient. Windows is constantly looking for stuff to add and run in the background. Stuff you don't need. Bogs down the system, clogs up processing power. I've converted many to Linux as well. People can't believe how fast and productive it is!

mc581
November 20th, 2009, 11:07 PM
You had to go to school for 2.5 YEARS to learn how to use a lousy Operating System? I don't have the luxury of time for all that . . . XP, Vista and Win 7 are pretty reliable with plug and play for cameras scanners and printers. I know you loved every minute of exploring a new OS but I don't have 2 years to fart around.

openuniverse
November 20th, 2009, 11:18 PM

Gemu
November 21st, 2009, 12:03 AM
I love it, I wish I had learned about it a long time ago among other things. If I can just get my Epson Scanner to work and my micro sd card to read I'll be a happy mof.

MiCK.ca
November 21st, 2009, 12:24 AM
Linux only and always since 2001! No Windows in my house..(operating system that is)

newb85
November 21st, 2009, 12:31 AM
On the rare occasion I fire up Windows, it spends more time downloading and installing updates than I spend using it.

I haven't done anything with musical arranging for a couple years (for time reasons), but about eight years ago I spent a few hundred on Finale for Windows (I'm sure the version I have would conk out on Vista). I haven't spent too much time looking for a Linux alternative, but the apps I did find fell drastically short. Perhaps by the time I get around to needing it again, this will be improved.

One thing I LOVE about Ubuntu is that the updater for the system is the updater for everything. One recurring nightmare I had in XP was that the computer would bog down, and when I glanced through the processes list, most of the processes were the updaters for the various packages I had installed.

WatTwo
November 21st, 2009, 01:58 AM
I still use windows for some things, mostly just some games, but now that gta:sa and samp run on wine, i wont be on windows much anymore :)

(I'm sure this question has been asked on here but)

I'm using a wubi install, if i do a full install, how much better is it? performance wise.

fancypiper
November 21st, 2009, 02:30 AM
I have always found that Linux ran best on it's own file systems. Ext4 is fast. I just installed a Windows Vista Ubuntu dual boot and Ubuntu beat Windows in boot up time, easily. I haven't really used Windows for a while since buying Windows XP. It kept screwing up and needing re-installing and I could just re-install grub after learning how to mount and chroot to the Linux system from a live CD.

I got tired of that and I have been Linux mostly since 1999 and Microsoft free since I formatted the NTFS partition for Linux storage.

CrusaderAD
November 21st, 2009, 04:30 AM
a lot of people have to go to school to learn how to use windows. maybe they can get online and "do email," that's pretty easy in ubuntu as well. (use the livecd. if necessary, get a compatible wifi adapter.) how much you have to learn depends largely on how much you want to do. you weren't born knowing how to use windows, either.

Right on. mc581... why are you here?

kyuubi777
November 21st, 2009, 04:39 AM
kind of..used to be booting linux and windows, but i just don't see the point anymore.. i do not game..so. i am currently using linux and nothing else on my personal laptop, but one of our home desktops is a mac mini which i use on occasion and i am planning on getting a macbook eventually

shaon3343
November 22nd, 2009, 05:33 AM
helloo, I've been using Ubuntu for last 4 months. I want to use ubuntu parmanantly, ( completely throw away windows :D !!) But reallity is defferent :( ! I'm a novice C /C++ programmer . I try to solve mathematical type probs with C/C++ ( http://uva.onlinejudge.org) .So for this reason I need a C/C++ IDE in which debugging (watching variable) is very much easy like microsofts Visual studio. In this IDE I can watch every variable so much easy.and one more thing , I need a download manager in Ubuntu like Internet Download Manager ( IDM)! If anyone can help me to find those two software in Ubuntu I can completely throw away windows XP and permanantly use my sweet Ubuntu (I'm loving it!!) .
Is there anybody who can help me ? my email address is: orion_3343@yahoo.com . I'll be very much gratful if anyone help me to find those two software.
shaon

omarly
November 22nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
I'm a complete convert! Last thing I had was Vista pre-installed.

With the new 9.10 all the "old" bugs for my box, like sound and usb-modem, just works SO nice!

Must confess that I have had a "few" installs :p, because of my "Does this work?"-nature. But it's all worth it :KS

nadian
November 22nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
I just did, finally deleted my windows 7 partition when I found a replacement for mediamonkey I liked (gmusicbrowser) then I converted my kids computer to ubuntu too!, don't want them growing up thinking windows is the only OS

Gemu
November 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
One of the things that lead me to linux was the idea of partitioning my Windows drive so I wouldn't lose all my data if Windows failed beyond repair. I learned with Mac to keep music separate from my operating system so I don't lose all my recordings in case of failure.

I wanted to be able to do exactly what you can do with linux. Partitioning drives and reload the OS anytime its needed and leave the data unafected. I searched and searched the internet for partition editors that would do the job without reinstalling Windows and kept coming up with Gnu Parted but had no clue how to use it and then someone gave me a copy of Ubuntu 6.10 that wouldn't load and I searched until I found the latest Ubuntu 64 bit architecture which was Intrepid 8.10 at the time. I loaded it and lost Windows XP install not really knowing how to use it in August of 08 and life has never been the same. I reloaded Windows so I could call myself Dual booting but it developed problems and wouldn't boot so I put Knoppix 5.3.1 in its place.

Partitioning drives means nothing to my wife. Give her a good working Windows system and you'll never see her on anything linux, she hates linux.

Windows with a well written program does some things very well as long as you don't get a virus it will be there rock solid yesterday today and well a few more days. LOL

I remember how aggravating it had always been to get an internet connection with Windows especially with comcast we had at the time. I booted Intrepid for the first time and the -connection to a wired network- balloon came up and I was sold man right on the spot. To me the web is better than a library and you don't have to drive to it.

noren
November 22nd, 2009, 06:21 PM
i have completly switched to ubuntu and cant find anything that i want to do and cant do in the ubuntu.....
windows sucks....

Operafreakr
November 23rd, 2009, 03:00 PM
I have made a full switch over about a month ago. I use to dual boot Ubuntu and Vista. I kept it that way until I finally obtained replacement software for all my other goodies that I had. The last items that was keeping me from switching over completely was playing WoW. Didn't work for me with Wine but I decided to take the leap so I installed Ubuntu on to a nice 320 Gig drive to use for good without MS on it. I do administrate Windows boxes so I have a VirtualBox of XP on my system in case I need it but I decided I can do without WoW for now. I LOVE LINUX... Debian.... That is ;).

I have decided after pulling my hair out over this Wine thing is to try Cedega instead!! Hopefully I will be back in action soon!

aparkes
November 23rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
I switched fully to Ubuntu, Linux, in general, 6 months ago. I bought a laptop with Win Vista on it, and it crashed all the time, wouldn't work for anything. I have always played with Linux. So i made the full switch. Haven't been this happy with a computer in a long time.

Anakondarh
November 23rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
I made the full switch about 2 years ago (funny enough, that's 3 years after this thread was started). There's nothing "windows" at my place, not even Windows mobile phones (sorry HTC HD2, you did look sweet but WiMo is just not an option - N900 here I come!!). Sadly, I am forced to use a Win XP computer at work (I don't have a say in the matter), so I can continue to be reminded of how much it blows. I'm really not into PC gaming (I have a Wii and a PSP for that) so that isn't a problem. What I have to look into now is using my 64gb iPod Touch with Linux. I knew I wouldn't be able to use it on linux when I first got it, but it is just too pretty... 8-[

invenit
November 23rd, 2009, 05:51 PM
Great thread! I triple boot Ubuntu 9.10 with WinXP & CrunchBang (based on jaunty). Legacy software (Bitware) + MULTIMEDIA still requires WinXP on my box. Multimedia is esp. problematic: flash works ok in Ubuntu, in my experience, except at hulu (it gets choppy after a few minutes (my dsl maxes out at 768k but I don't think that that is the problem)). (And, don't get me started on divx.) Other distros, by the way, do really good at hulu (e.g., PCLinuxOS & Pardus), but not Ubuntu.

Anyway, for everything else, Ubuntu or CrunchBang is cool.

Kai69
November 25th, 2009, 01:36 AM
I switched to ubuntu last week had a new (second hand) laptop bought for my birthday in august dell xps m1330 with windows xp pro installed.
for about 3 weeks xp had become very buggy ie 10mins to see shutdown button and 5mins after that also cant do that dialog boxes. Never used linux before just googled best of found ubuntu 9.10 made a disk and fully installed i have a few problems but none that cant be sorted out im very happy and i wont be switching back .
BTW while i was googleing linux on IE7 within 30 mins a new tab opened MS asking me to take a survey this happened 6-7 times in 2 hours

lvalen18
November 25th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I love linux but I aways install Windows 7 again... I see the advantages of Ubuntu (Linux) but I cant explain why.. Been using windows since the 90's and Linux since 2004 or so.. Dual Booting Great but I like to have ONE OS... Just me i guess... Will install Ubuntu and try to stay with it as long as possible...

openuniverse
November 25th, 2009, 07:13 AM

handy
November 25th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I completely switched firstly & briefly Debian, then to Ubuntu Linux; dumping windows forever.

After about a year, I started distro hopping, dumping Ubuntu, occasionally returning to see how it was going, then dumping Ubuntu again & moving onto something else.

These days I use Arch primarily, Mint-Xfce as my emergency web access system which is in a drive drawer that I can use in box No.2.

IPCop (Linux based firewall/router) runs 24/7 here.

FreeNAS (FreeBSD based NAS system) runs when required.

msimon1960
November 25th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I've switched over completely for home use. I only use ******* at the office now and only for reasons of compatibility with my clients (I'm a management consultant).

I'm using 9.04 -- easy install for my equipment (Acer Laptop).

Would like to see a good commercial-grade webeditor (e.g. Frontpage / Dreamweaver level).

Samba networking still a problem for me for some reason - Name resolution doesn't work properly.

Would like to see a complete rapid application development program (e.g. dbase / foxpro). I hope that BASE will get there someday soon -- an RAD inside OpenOffice would be fabulous.

Matthew.

neerajadsul
November 25th, 2009, 11:55 PM
My desktop (Q6600 2.4 GHz, XFX nVidia 9800 xxx 512 MB DDR3) is running only Linux (ubuntu 9.10). Before it was vista and ubuntu but finally "Enough is enough".

My laptop (Dell Inspiron 6400) runs Linux (ubuntu 9.10) + windows XP. I need windows because of Origin Pro software + my office uses Office 2007 exclusively, so sometimes need to use office 2007.

Until software/hardware vendors do not produce drivers/softwares compatible with all OS, it's going to be difficult to completely move to Linux.

slimjimmy23
November 26th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I haven't used XP for about 2 months. I love Ubuntu, but I'm not sure if I want to get rid of Windows yet, I feel like it would be betrayal because I have grown up with Windows. Until I get Paint.net and Itunes, I plan on keeping XP on my laptop. I'm only 15 and I don't think I would be able to fix my comp if something goes wrong.
---------------- Listening to: Aerosmith - Livin' On The Edge (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/aerosmith/track/livin+on+the+edge)

pokethesmot
November 26th, 2009, 09:31 PM
i tried ubuntu for a week and then i fully got rid of xp...windows is junk

Davidmcoop
November 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I can't ditch my win because there is no "competent" nntp newsreader. They all crash or don't work for me. When are they going to make pan work. I've tried using wine but that doesn't really work either. If someone can fix these issues I'll be on Ubuntu full time. I've even got my kids onto it.

Marvin666
November 27th, 2009, 09:52 PM
When I get my new laptop, I'm 100% linux. The last laptop I had died after half a year of dual-boot service, long enough for me to fully taper off and occasionally forget windows dosn't have a root, or workspaces.

alexfish
November 27th, 2009, 10:28 PM
only use windows when in a position where I have no option

other than that I use Linux its fun to use ,its educational

and helps people to understand how a computer works,

never enjoyed computing so much since the days of the my first BBC computer

I still use it to this day

dlzerocool
November 27th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Completely switched to Linux.

10 years ago I was using dual boot and Debian.

Now I use Linux only.

I'm studying Software Engineer so when windows is needed, VMWARE( or any other free virtual machines) do the trick.
"I used it one time last year, to do ada+spider development then never used it again"

Yes I'm a gamer, Wine + Playonlinux.
I do use Office 2007, I got a license from my school and I don't like Open Office.

I can do everything under linux, but I do understand that some people might not be able to.

<< Running Kubuntu karmic 9.10

peter d
November 28th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I ditched Windows completely about 2 1/2 years ago. I use Ubuntu 9.10 on my desktop and Debian 5 on my laptop.

I still use Windows at work - no choice really although I do have amachine with 9.04 there to use when I can.

I've never missed Windows for a moment.

naglecorey
November 28th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Fried two hdd's in about an hour and a half this summer and couldn't find a windows disk, so I give Ubuntu a shot and never looked back.

HalfNew
November 28th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Done and Done!

Vista GONE. Ubuntu 9.10 +Vbox up and running!

LOVE IT!!!

Maybe someone can answer the following for me... I have an Intel MB with onboard Audio and Video + extra NVidia videocard. Why does Vbox recognize the onboard audio but not video? I'd like to get some games going on my XP VM!

Any thoughts?

choyak
November 28th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I haven't used what I refer to as 'bugdows' for about 2 weeks. I have Ubuntu 9.10 and I did everything to make it awesome. I have my net drive on the desktop, and the hardware was detected automatically. The only thing I had to do was install the nVidia driver to use Compiz. Every time I installed Ubuntu the hardware was detected properly. I even have a laptop with blu ray recorder and it was detected. I used Brasero to write to a blu-ray disk. With bugdows you need to dig online for hours to search for drivers and download them. I am almost absurdly happy with Ubuntu. I am forced to use bugdows with my blackberry though and also for Magic Jack. I use a pseudo-netbook (Fujitsu 10 inch) for the bugdows things.

Yes, I know I had to edit fstab to do the network drive, also had to install 64 bit Adobe Flash player so I can play FarmVille. The other thing is the mp3 thing with gStreamer but Audacious worked without that. I have dual monitor and it seems close to flawless, but I have an OCTAGON, not a cube with 4 desktops, 2 desktops gets me a cube.

Well, I chatted too much but I am liking Ubuntu more and more..

BTW I have 3 desktops and 1 laptop with Ubuntu, one is still dual boot and one desktop with Fedora 11. I just think of the hard drive space liberated when formatting over bugdows. I am also enamored with the Pulse Audio server. I can play music where I am sitting and stream to another PC (connected to a receiver) instead of the one inch tweeters I have on this PC. I did hear quite a few complaints about Pulse Audio but it worked good for me so far.

This forum dictionary is based on UK English. It wants me to correct 'enamored' to 'enamoured'

neighbor color behavior airplane aluminum carburetor 'swear word for butt' center metre

hehehe it states 'British swear word for butt' (parse minus P) is spelled wrong but the other words are spelled 'wrong' also!!

afroman10496
November 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I did. Wine has really gotten better, so theres no need for ******* on my HD.

Ylon
November 28th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I didn't made the "switch" to Vista... now my memories about Windows start from Dos and end to XP.

Technically incapable to deal with Vista+

And I am damn happy about it :popcorn:

DCJuggler
November 28th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I dual boot with windows 7, it feels smoother and runs faster than ubuntu for me.

But my main reason for never being able to use linux full time is there is no QQ IM Client apart from a poor beta that's not been updated in a long time.

AverellTorrent
November 29th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I don't run a dual-boot, if that's what you mean. There are computers in my house that run on windows, but that's not because I specifically chose them to be that way. It's just that they work the way they are and I don't want to go to the trouble of changing them to run on linux. Why fix what isn't broken, you know?

I do get frustrated with media issues on ubuntu, though. I can't comfortably watch any HD video that I torrent - it's always flashing the background. It works minimally, but I'd like to have some legitimate good quality some day.

jward3010
November 29th, 2009, 08:56 PM
but I'm not sure if I want to get rid of Windows yet, I feel like it would be betrayal because I have grown up with Windows.
I wouldn't feel too much betrayal for a system that has cost the world billions in downtime, privacy issues, security problems and is harshly promoting secret closed development.

Major_Tom
November 29th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I don't think I'll be able to make the switch permanently. I'm an iPhone 3GS user, so I need to have Windows on my machine in some shape or form.

ProphetBuntoo
November 29th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Guys I cant get the newest version of wank to work with linux my five input keeps seizing up and my girlfriend has left me, will Kubuntu fix this.

jward3010
November 29th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Guys I cant get the newest version of wank to work with linux my five input keeps seizing up and my girlfriend has left me, will Kubuntu fix this.

What is this eponymous "new version of wank", and NO, Kubuntu won't get her back at this stage. Let go...

Sistershaft
November 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Still need Windows for music making and technical drawing but I now spend about 75% of my computer time with linux. Santa's bringing me a new midi controller so I'll try to switch to MusicGNU.

Kdar
November 29th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I been using only-Linux on my laptop for good amount of time (plus the rest of my family :) )...

I had only-Linux on desktop computer at one time, but later installed Windows on there again. However, it crashed on me few days ago, and I am plan to install Linux, once I will have time to fix it. Tired of all this, and now I am pretty sure I can do anything I need to on Linux just fine.

I also want to build HTPC and using some kind of linux-based Media-Center on there as well.

n1ym
November 30th, 2009, 12:36 AM
The day that i can use the upgrade and don't have to spend a whole day to reconfigure my computer to make it run again i will probably completely switch to Linux.

I run it on my server at work, where it works fine, at my Ham Radio Station, but I am currently considering removing it from my daughter's computer and switch her to Windows. I just upgraded to 9.04 and - again - the wireless connection is not working any more. The old workarounds don't function either and funny enough, most of the recommendations on how to solve it require a working network. Funny - I use the wireless for the simple reason that i don't have wired access available where I am - how am I supposed to use the online solutions.

As said - once these issues are resolved and the community comes up with a way to build new releases that do not completely mess up existing builds I will probably switch.

jward3010
November 30th, 2009, 12:23 PM
This question depends; in work I use it 50% of the time, at home it's closer to 85%.

My hand is forced in work due to the need for Internet Explorer for Remote Web Workplace, it's such a pure Microsoft protocol that I can't use it in anything but Internet Explorer and I pure hate that browser for so many reasons. I can get around that by using IE Tab add-on in Firefox but at the end of the day it still invokes IE within Firefox.

This restriction along with many others has poisoned me completely against closed-source software. There an interesting company, Microsoft, they would preach free-market values and choice of software as a hallmark of their OS and then compltely destroy the whole idea by restricting things throughout the whole OS. It reeks so much.

ron1945
November 30th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Switched my laptop about 2 weeks ago. I have a Toshiba Satellite P200-RT3. When it developed a Monitor problem (it is 2 1/2 years old) I tried to contact Toshiba support to see if I could download the disks that I have somewhere (we moved). They would not talk to me unless I gave them $139.00 and let Microsoft it my computer. NOT LIKELY. Since I no longer had to worry about warranty issues, I did the total installation of Kubuntu (I like the KDE desktop). The whole thing worked right off. I now find that my computer works better than it did when it had Visa at it's core.
By the way, the problem turned out to be an inverter ($20-$40).
Since switching over I have been looking into the compatible systems for Linux. What I have learned so far is that companies like Toshiba, Sony, Kodak, and Canon should be avoided.

gary@web.ca
November 30th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Ran dual boot before 2000. A couple years later dropped Microsoft completely. Had early problems meeting with the office software. Now the distro is lovely. Still to be resolved for me. How to deal with people who need files that their pirated MS. Office software can't read. Of course I prefer to send them ISO standard files - "can't read it" they complain. Fortunately,for them, Open Office can put out MS proprietary formats. Our organization, a volunteer run Housing Co-operative, uses Quicken Books for our accounting needs, the data base cannot be read by any Linux software. Hope there will be a solution to this soon.

Presently running Kubuntu 9.10 on a seven year old desktop. My son-in-law a Mac repair person built up an old Mac laptop and loaded it with Ubuntu 9.10. It runs fine. Although very irritating when I find myself typing on another part of the screen when a finger inadvertently brushes against the touch-pad. Also the different keyboard keys and the loss of the regular functions of the mouse take some getting use to. That aside Ubuntu makes this old machine perform.

ferdi69
November 30th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I try to switch over, but with my limited Linux knowledge some applications I just can't get to work.

One such application is ShareMagic Pro running in Wine. I keep on getting these ActiveX errors and am just not finding the solution on these forums.

Epiclow
November 30th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I completely switched to Ubuntu about 2 months ago after having it as a dual boot with Xp.

And I'm loving it.

I just miss playing Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Once I get high speed instead of dial-up which is what I have now, I will try out the flight sims Ubuntu has. I would download WINE, but that'll take all damn day on my connection.:mad:

Lyleb
November 30th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I've had Ubuntu exclusively on my desktop for two or three years now. My laptop is duel-boot with XP, but I use Ubuntu probably 85-90% of the time. I only use xp for watching Netflix movies now. Used to have to use it to update a drug reference I used on my Palm, but now I've changed to an IPod Touch, and it can update directly. Can't think of anything else I have to use XP for.

Unfortunately having a lot of problems (actually one major problem) with 9.10, may have to move back to 9.04 until things improve. Disappointing.

afroman10496
November 30th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I got my mom to use it too:)
My dad thinks that "buntu" is not good at all. Good for him. I think the only way he hasn't gotten a virus yet is that he uses dial-up AOL:popcorn:

cordyman
December 1st, 2009, 12:19 AM
Basically, it takes time to let people know the existence of Linux. I happened to see a website selling Dual-boot Systems. They put Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10 together on desktop pc. Maybe that's a try. The website is http://www.pcmode.ca. Strangely they also sell pure pre-installed Ubuntu systems. It seems the hardware configuration is good enough to run Windows 7 and games too.

cordyman
December 1st, 2009, 12:50 AM
It is a good idea to keep Windows and Ubuntu on one system. They are good at performing different tasks. I happen to notice a website selling Dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10 and Pre-installed Ubuntu / Kubuntu 9.10. It is pcmode.ca. Seems a Canadian OEM. Worth having a look. For gaming, Linux has a long way to go.

Chargaff
December 1st, 2009, 01:09 AM
I've been using Linux and only Linux for the last 10 years for all my computers need, Ubuntu for the last 3 or 4 years. I'm not planning to change....

Operafreakr
December 1st, 2009, 03:31 AM
Done and Done!

Vista GONE. Ubuntu 9.10 +Vbox up and running!

LOVE IT!!!

Maybe someone can answer the following for me... I have an Intel MB with onboard Audio and Video + extra NVidia videocard. Why does Vbox recognize the onboard audio but not video? I'd like to get some games going on my XP VM!

Any thoughts?

I have tried a similar thing and it looks at my vid card as a standard card and not the ATI it is so my games find my vid to be insufficient. If you find an answer for that let me know ;)

some-what-Gnu-2-networks
December 2nd, 2009, 01:29 AM
I've used Ubuntu, Mint, and Knoppix solely for a about a year. I finally got my ENTIRE family to also use Linux.

foxmulder881
December 2nd, 2009, 01:33 AM
Still rely on Windows XP for gaming and some critical work stuff.

switch10
December 2nd, 2009, 02:18 AM
Despite my age I do not play games at all, so the switch was easy for me. I have been Windows Free for about a year now. I do mess with some Virtual Box stuff here and there, just for fun mostly..

chousho
December 2nd, 2009, 06:08 AM
My laptop ran Fedora exclusively, however my desktop is multiboot as I can not get 3D support for my graphics card under current releases of Ubuntu without having to sacrifice a small animal.

Windows is mainly used for gaming (HL mods, WoW and dota), along with a few programs that are required for class (Visual Studio, chiefly).

ChrisNZ
December 2nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
I've used Ubuntu, Mint, and Knoppix solely for a about a year. I finally got my ENTIRE family to also use Linux.

Awesome - Well done. I think maybe if others were so committed to Linux OS's then the 'issues' of games and software ability would dwindle considerably. It's such a shame that MS has has duped folks for so long that they believe they cant live without it!

killa.fr0gg
December 2nd, 2009, 10:57 AM
The only reason I won't erase my OS X partition is my need for REAL multimedia composition applications (a la Logic and Final Cut). As much as I love Linux, it lacks much when it comes to editing audio and video (but the GIMP is AWESOME, I use it instead of Photoshop much of the time). Perhaps in the future there will be a way to have commercial-quality multimedia applications on my beloved Linux box...

openuniverse
December 2nd, 2009, 10:57 AM

freechelmi
December 2nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
My story :

- I had my first computer in 1999 with cracked Win98. it was trying to watchs DivX with WMP and it always failed.

- tried mandriva in 2001. faster, better.

- Dropped mandriva in 2006 because it was impossible to upgrade. Went for Ubuntu, stays with it as it's on the right slope to conqueer the world.

When some hardware does not work in Ubuntu , I spent few hours understanding why and how to fix it. For sure in windows that would be easier but I wouldn't have learnt so much about how companies like apple and adobe try to lock up out IT life.

Anyway, I never needed any Windows at home. I had Mac OSX which was nice but had really worse hardware and software support than Ubuntu.

in Ubuntu it usually "just work" ( HP printers, UVC webcams) etc..

crispyrich
December 2nd, 2009, 06:11 PM
I completely use Ubuntu. I keep Windows around for gaming problems (to test if they work in Windows, basically, then boot into Ubuntu and fix (or try to fix) the problem). I haven't "used" Windows in a long time, but it's still there.
only reason i keep windows after ten years of struggling with it (came from atari ste 4mb cubase v 1.01) is cubase. once they port it to ubuntu i'm there.
currently have laptop on ubuntu studio and desktop on xp (uurh yuck).
cubase is the decider oh and my tascam us 144 (please let there be someone who cracks that one!!)
i use a mac in the studio and even that is an ****, i have had it tell me i cant copy a disk cause i dont have permission when the band are sat there telling me i can once too often!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crispyrich
December 2nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
hey this site doesnt like the word a r s e
didnt know they were that odd????

Dr. Freeze
December 2nd, 2009, 07:55 PM
Made the switch about 5 months ago. I used xp and I hated vista and I now hate 7 because of school but jaunty and karmic are great and very easy to use

klownish
December 2nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
I just recently switched back to ubuntu for good. Finally got wine working how I want, so now I have no problem staying. I switched back to xp last year due to gaming issues that are now fixed. Hopefully I wont get annoyed, and format again ;x

openuniverse
December 3rd, 2009, 12:17 AM

[A]madeus
December 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
i'm kinda newbie of Ubuntu.
Still learning how to configure this and that.

But so far, so good.

hawk007
December 3rd, 2009, 11:37 PM

Im going to remove ubuntu. its a nightmare less your a geek. no good for beginners unless you want to spend your next five years learning how the thing works, or doesnt.

Goodbye geeks.

Well i joined the forum as i was ready for quiting this and moving to wsomething that lets me get soe work done instead of me getting the darn thing to work. Im a windows geek, or windows dumy whatever? bye

atoztoa
December 4th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I switched completely to Ubuntu around 1 year back...

I rarely go to Windows when my broadband is down and dialup is not configured in Ubuntu.... also to try out some new games... also when I need to test my website on IE...

I started with 8.04 Hardy and kept on upgrading till Karmic... then I installed Karmic fresh... that was a task I will never forget... http://www.atoztoa.com/2009/11/booting-ubuntu-910-part-1-downfall.html

mazzatelli
December 4th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I tried Mandrake in high school, but those were the days of dial-up so wasn't very useful.
Last couple of years I have switched back to Linux after hearing of improvements.

Overall I'm impressed, but until there is a way to get MS Office [heavy macro user] & majority of games working - I still can't ditch Windows.
Very happy using it with MySQL and R Project

I am hoping - but knowing the time it takes to develop this I might not live to see it

Thumbs up from me though

RedMaster
December 4th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I've been using different distros for a long time but never stopped using Windows... until now! :D :D
I'm using Ubuntu for a 2 years... This year I completely shut the Windows up :D

But I want the things with the games to change... I want the games developer companies to start producing a Linux clients... I'm not playing games so much but time-to-time everybody wants to play a good game to entertain him/herself, right? :)

dansar99
December 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I can not switch. Too many problems and too difficult to solve for anyone that doesn't have a clue about technical stuff. I have a dual boot system but need to use windows a lot more than linux. The funny thing is, I dont use a computer for that much. I follow a few forums (ok in linux),listen to a sports radio station (hard to listen in linux) and my camera (linux does not recognize it) Dan

ximhot
December 4th, 2009, 05:14 PM
My older hardware: Compaq M700, HP Pavillion ze5300, IBM A31, T30 have all lived without Windows for a year.

But my workstation, IBM Z Pro has to stay with Windows XP for the graphic software I run.

asmotj
December 4th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I support computer users so I need to have other operations systems available but only for support of business, however, I have only used Linux in my music studio and will never use small$flaccid and taint the gift of opensource.

And for the rest of my 3 laptops the I have both WinDuhs XP-PRO and Linux installed I tried vista too slow and 7 was not as slow but running a pentium 300mhz Linux I usi Knoppix on the 300mhz the clear choice verses vista or even 7 as an upgrade. 1.7Ghz Pentuium dual core I just put it on Karmic Koala switching to the rt kernal and well we'll see.

Thanks to everyone in the opensource community and as I complete my studio I will publish my experience.

I have interestingly enough been able to find a substitute for every software for business in Linux from the xp-pro machine.

kraus3742
December 6th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Currently have four computers in the home 3 of which have Karmic installed as the only OS and one computer with XP which is the wife's and she gave me the OK to convert it. I have my fifth computer on the way from dell, a mini 10 with Ubuntu already on it. Probably put karmic netbook release on it but if nothing it's less money going to Microsoft and a protest to lack of ubuntu offering on other computers offered by dell. I have others outside the home I am converting slowly most people absolutely love UBUNTU! Keep it up Canonical!!

mamamia88
December 7th, 2009, 04:33 AM
so close to completely switching i am trying the trial of crossover linux and office 2007 works fine think i am going to purchase that. then all i would need is for tv networks to pull their head out of their *** and not use a media plugin that doesn't work in linux

PC_load_letter
December 7th, 2009, 04:38 AM
I started using Ubuntu almost 3 years ago but have always kept the Windows partition for a rainy day (i.e. for tasks I didn't know how to do on Linux), but as of last week, I'm Windows free :guitar::guitar:

The only thing I really miss is fooling around with VST synthesizers and making some music in my free time. But Windows was a crappy platform to do that anyway, I'll probably buy a Mac mini just for that purpose some time down the road.

ranch hand
December 7th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I started using Ubuntu almost 3 years ago but have always kept the Windows partition for a rainy day (i.e. for tasks I didn't know how to do on Linux), but as of last week, I'm Windows free :guitar::guitar:

The only thing I really miss is fooling around with VST synthesizers and making some music in my free time. But Windows was a crappy platform to do that anyway, I'll probably buy a Mac mini just for that purpose some time down the road.
My son does that kind of thing and he is worse than me about MS and wouldn't consider Mac.

He uses Studio Edition. I am not sure that is necessary. You should have a look at this thread;

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=900676

There is also a "studio" sub forum here on the forums. I am sure that running a search for "studio" in the forum search will pull up a lot of threads, some of which would be from there and you could bookmark the studio forum.

drummerjamin
December 7th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I switched to Linux when Ubuntu Hardy Heron came out and I couldn't believe how much fun I had working it out and how Linux worked inside. This was definitely the beginning of a new dedicated Linux user as I almost made the jump straight away and left Windows in the mud for good.

Just yesterday I decided after being "Windows Free" for about a year, I installed my Alliance copy of Windows 7 and couldn't believe how ultimately slow and bugged it was. I got the Blue Screen of Death when it automatically tried to install its own drivers to my Nvidia 9800GT and it also couldn't even load basic drivers to enable my Onboard Ethernet Hub resulting me in needing to download the drivers from a DIFFERENT computer then install it from a USB drive. From there on afterwards once the Ethernet drivers were installed I kept getting the Blue Screen of Death even after removing the wrong drivers and installing the Official Nvidia drivers for my card. After about 3 hours of having the freshly installed Original and Legitimate copy of Windows 7 the Graphical server crashed and that was the end of me being able to use Windows.

I know this sounds shocking, but it is completely true and never again will I give Windows another chance at running (ruining) my computer.

I reinstalled Ubuntu 9.10 64bit and ran my Backup so I can continue working on a stable and fast Operating System that I personally believe Windows and all of their products are totally smashed by.

GO LINUX!!!!

bigsmitty64
December 7th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I've been using Ubuntu 9.10 for a couple weeks now. At first it was a little tricky to get used to, but wow!, I love it!. I recently switched to Ubuntu Studio 9.10 when I found it because I'm a musician. However, I have to keep my Vista on a (separate drive) because I have an iPhone and that NEEDS iTunes to backup, update, and sync. And I couldn't make it work in Wine. If it wasn't for that, I'd be a complete convert for sure.

P.S.
I miss Photoshop too...but I'm giving Gimp a go!

the_monster
December 7th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I use Kunbuntu mostly, but if there is are win progs I want to use, I use wine, virtualbox or vmware, so why have a dual-boot system.

blegs38552
December 7th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Not me.

My financial files are all in Quicken and I have not desire to gamble with them by using a Windows emulator (Wine?) in Linux.

Similarly, I use Turbotax for my income tax preparation and filing.

Lastly, I just bought a Zune 32 GB player (no sarcasim, Ipod users - it is a great player) which use Windows onbly software (I assume that Ipod users have a similar problem - only Windows and Mac).

I will continue to play with Ubuntu, and try to figure out how the grub 2 menu works, but it is not ready for my prime time, and won't be until I can do all of my financial accounting on it with complete confidence.

whiskeylover
December 7th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I bought my laptop a few months ago because MS was offering a free upgrade to 7. After it got shipped, I immediately upgraded it, and installed Ubuntu alongside with it. The next thing I know, I started using Ubuntu exclusively.

Now I have my laptop on dual boot, but rarely boot into windows. I've gone full time with Ubuntu.

M&StL
December 7th, 2009, 10:20 PM
When the spouse loves Windows, you leave it on the newest machine. Ubuntu 9.10 on a relic in the basement works better than VISTA on a dual core any day. When a lap top comes my way, ordered with Windows, no way.

gabo.cr
December 7th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I decided to get rid of my dual boot with Vista - Ubuntu, and now I only have Ubuntu.
I still run Vista with VirtualBox, but I don't really use it.
I don't think I will ever use Windows 7, I know there is people here who never used XP.
I hope that happens to me too.

yester64
December 8th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I made my switch 100% to 9.10 and banned Windows (for now).
I don't play really a lot anymore, so not even gaming was an issue for me. But i still toil with wine to get some games going.
So far i haven't missed anything from windows really. And to be honest, i don't have any special piece of software i have to use either. That makes it easier for sure.

speedwell68
December 8th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I went 100% GNU/Linux about four years ago, all of my machines run Ubuntu or a derivative. I'll never be going back to Windows.

Sundown Kid
December 8th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I completely jumped to Linux a few months ago in one swoop. Having never had a Linux system installed before (I mean, I gave the live CD a shot), there were some things I had to get used to; like fully booting up, shutting down when I tell it to and not arguing with drives when I want to unmount them. I'm glad I made the switch. It's a refreshing OS.

aviedw
December 8th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I've been using linux since fedora core 3. I switched to Ubuntu and fell in love with apt-get. Yum just wasnt doing it for me. I keep windows 7 as a dual boot just so i can use my teaching software. But truthfully im not really impressed with windows 7. Im impressed with software when the manage to do more with less not when they make software that does pretty much the same thing but causes you to upgrade almost every componet in your computer.

Ric_NYC
December 8th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I have Vista in another partition.

I don't remember the last time I used Vista.

:P

At this moment I'm happy with Ubuntu.

michael18
December 8th, 2009, 10:12 AM
my laptop...i got one word can describe about it...
WOW...
i'm using a Compaq Presario C700 laptop...
and i've using tis type of OS:-
-win xp[pro] for half year(2008)=D>
-win vista[ultimate] for 8 months(till August 2009)](*,)
-win 7[ultimate] for 3 months(till December 2009):cool:
-LINUX Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala(starting from 6 December 2009) :p:KS:cool:

from the above...i like win 7 and Ubuntu 9.10...
but now i'm completely using Ubuntu...xD

and sometimes i still miss my win 7(i'm a gamer)
but mayb i'll continue using LINUX...:popcorn:

smoosh
December 9th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Completely switched from OS X, and am totally happy - just got jaunty so that everything works perfectly. Karmic, not so much. It was nice being able to get a brand new computer for 800 bucks instead of 2700 with the same specs. I will never go back! NEVER! My wife still has a mac, and she is always having problems, so I rub it in a little, like "why don't you just put those photos from your iphone onto your computer? Oh, I forgot that doesn't work with your mac." or "why don't you just stick the camera SD card into your card reader instead of using that cord you can never find? Ohhhh, right, you don't have a card reader..." We also have an external hard drive that will only work on my computer. Suckers.

lewisforlife
December 9th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I am completely Linux. Once I made the switch I never looked back. My dumb work forces me to use Microcrap products though.

chumley348
December 9th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I bought a Dell Mini back in September with 8.04 ubuntu on it and put it on another laptop I have. I haven't booted windows for a while, I am totally happy with Linux. I have 9.10 on my laptop and love it. The only problem I'm having is it looks like my Dell mini won't let me upgrade to 9.04 and then 9.10. I think Dell has it stuck at 8.04 because some of the fluff they put on only will work with 8.04. Any suggestions? Also Firefox is very slow scrolling on my mini, so I use Chrome. My laptop uses Firefox with no issues.

Chumley

venkatad
December 9th, 2009, 03:59 AM
I completely switched 2 ubuntu....now a days i use windows very very rare. ubuntu has everything esp i love karmic

vicshrike
December 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM
90% Linux, 10% xp

pauwl
December 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM
100% Ubuntu now for 3 years.
It used to be a pain, but life is just getting easier and easier.

Develop on my netbook as well, with Mysql & apache running.
But mostly just do the normal grind from Gnome.

Integrates JUST FINE with all the customers' Windows networks when I work on their premises (file sharing & printing that is).

black28
December 9th, 2009, 05:30 PM
My Desktop is ONLY Linux Xubuntu 9.1, Laptop is Windows XP, Gaming is PS3!! I'm Satisfied. i run both Desktop and PS3 to the Same Monitor.

trixman
December 9th, 2009, 05:33 PM
i use linux on 1 machine as a full install, my second pc has windows vista / wubi karmac 9.10 and it runs great.

i hardly ever boot into windows and it seems once you find the right programs in linux there is no need.

and it seems for scanners/printers linux finds HP stuff the best so far.

tdmeskimo
December 9th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I have switched to linux completely when ubuntu 8.04 can out and i have Ubuntu running on 3 pc. laptop,and 2 desktops, love it, keep up the good work!

Adelee
December 9th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Have recently switched to Linux from Windows when I got a new laptop (second hand) which was completely clean. Installed ubuntu 9.10 and haven't looked back! Love it. So much quicker than windows and love the flexibility of being able to do things behind the scenes as it were.

Still having a small problem with boot up otherwise fabulous!

Kprojekt
December 10th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I completely use Ubuntu. I do still however keep a windows install (Dual boot) cuz some of my classes have me using VB.net.

However, when not in class, it's Ubuntu all the way.

Ethyrdude
December 10th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Whats windows?? oh I remember, I connect to Windows live messenger with pidgin, that was the only thing holding me back from dropping windows completely last year. Well now that I have, I doubt if I will ever go back, If there's a game I want to play now, they better make a Linux version of it or I won't get it.

snakeman21
December 10th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I have a windows partition on my computer, but I never actually use it. It's there for my wife to use, because she likes to play Spore, but she doesn't have a good enough graphics card. We learned this by setting up a windows partition on her computer, installing spore, and finding out it didn't work. Then we had to delete the windows partition and put one on my computer for her. What a pain!

joes7
December 10th, 2009, 09:20 PM
100% Xubuntu. I won't use XP anymore!

Chuckler3
December 10th, 2009, 09:22 PM
had xp on my old laptop that started having overheating issues.. took me more than a year to finally build a new comp and i put ubuntu 9.10 64-bit on it.. this weekend i'm cleaning out the laptop and installing ubuntu 9.10 32-bit.

michael18
December 10th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I completely use Ubuntu. I do still however keep a windows install (Dual boot) cuz some of my classes have me using VB.net.

However, when not in class, it's Ubuntu all the way.

u're using dual boot?
then which one u install 1st?
window or ubuntu 1st?

Roasted
December 11th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Vista for games, Kubuntu for everything else. I even dual booted my work laptop, 20gb for XP, 140gb for Kubuntu.

Weeeee!

smokyink
December 12th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I use Linux...

I kept a partition of windows on my pc but since I changed the mobo, cpu and vga (pretty much the whole system ;) ) I cant even boot into windows any more...and I don't need to. Linux gives me the best experience ever.

About gaming if you like shooters or strategy games you can find free online alternatives
(also there are other types such as rpg and so on) :popcorn:

for example whenever I get the idea of playing a game I go to quakelive.com and play quake from my brouser (free of any charge:D)...

Besides if you are lucky a game that is made for windows might be supported by wine...:KS

RRosset
December 12th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Windows free since 2007 or so. I'm still using Mac for work. But at home i'm using Linux, I don't get windows anymore. Everything is complicated. And for games, I use my PS3 :D

ssj6akshat
December 12th, 2009, 05:05 PM
It was very painful coz i had been using Windows since i was 6 years(I'm 13 Now) old When i got my Computer and even before that when i used my uncle's computer.

judge jankum
December 13th, 2009, 04:39 AM
8.04 Xubuntu for me from now on...Windows "stanks"

cmat
December 13th, 2009, 04:51 AM
My Vista box gave up the ghost so for now I'm purely linux. Horray for me!

karamu
December 14th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Been 100% Windows free for over a year now. Sometimes have to do things in Windows (for my parents/ wife) and forgot how to do it!!

ninjashoes
December 14th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I keep windows around for gaming and a few things I havent got working in Linux but for simple web browsing and listening to music(which is mostly what I do on my computer) Linux is king.

Volcom350Z
December 14th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I wanted to just only use Linux on my PC, but there is some things that I have to use on my WinXP so I just dual boot the two, but 95% of the time I am always on Linux :]

onandcorei
December 17th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I have been using Windows 7 at VirtualBox installed in Ubuntu,Linux.
In other words,i completely use Linux ;-)

CBrendan
December 17th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I have completely switched to Ubuntu from 09 August 2008.

beloved88
December 17th, 2009, 11:41 AM
All my computers run only linux (well, i guess if you don't count VMs. What's fun is to set up a vm windows network and watch as viruses destroy it! mwahahaha, so yeah, i keep windows around for "gaming" :P") but not all the computers in my house, ie my parents' and brother's are still in dual boot.

kumoshk
December 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM

I'm a Linux-only user and have been ever since—well, since Gutsy Gibbon (although I haven't always been a huge Ubuntu fan; I used to experiment with loads of other distributions, but now I find that I really do like Ubuntu best). Back in 2004 I longed to use Linux, but I never had a computer with enough RAM—either that or the video card wouldn't work: it's just as well, though, as Linux has come a long way since then.

I used to miss certain Windows features, until I figured out how to do all that and more in Linux (it did take a while, but it was more than worth it).

I'm not a huge gamer in the 3-D sense. However, you can always support those who actually do make Linux games—it might show other companies that there's an audience worth targeting if you and loads of other people do the same, and it'll help the companies you buy from to make more. You could always just use your PC for non-game stuff and get a console for gaming—I think they work more smoothly, anyway, but as I said, I'm not much of a 3-D gamer.

It's certainly possible to make great games for Linux. You just need people to do it. There are some cool games for Linux, though. I know the Aquaria demo works through Wine, and they are planning an official Linux version. Actually, you can try the whole game in beta, right now, apparently (but it expires early next month; so test it while you can):
http://www.bit-blot.com/forum/index.php?topic=1928.0

I have seen a service out there that uses a tweaked version of wine to allow gaming with many games you've likely heard of, but it costs money. I forgot what it was called, though.

guvnr
December 18th, 2009, 10:37 AM
can't get with the gimp, nor Photoshop CS2 with Wine .. running VirtualBox/XP solely for PS CS3 (and remembering why I converted.)

hidinginthemountains
December 18th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I've done it before, and am doing it again.

I had to go back to dual booting a little over a year ago when I had course material I couldn't get to run in non-Microsoft, but that's behind me now. I have just abandoned a jaunty/vista dual boot for a karmic single boot (though I'll likely add another OS as and emergency backup...it'll be a lite version of linux that supports ext4).

though I can think of a thousand reasons not to, compiling my own core for a backup is starting to sound like an idea. would appreaciate any guidance in private message from those who have some wisdom to share. this second OS need not have "normal" computer functions, but a very comprehensive set of tools to fix problems would be good.

pass on ideas. maybe suggest if you think this would make a good thread of it's own.

kernelhaxor
December 18th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Wow this thread was started in 2004

kristian.kroflin
December 18th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I use ubuntu (64bit) only. I have a Compaq 615 and
there's no problem with the soft- nor the hardware
until now.

hidinginthemountains
December 18th, 2009, 12:37 PM
should we be celebrating the 600'th page? :guitar: ... yea ok, not a big deal

shadow of the locust
December 18th, 2009, 01:03 PM
my desktop at home is ubuntu 9.10. on my netbook is fedora 12.

i have an old laptop running xp set up with an external display for photoshop cs2 and photoshop elements. there also doesnt seem to be very good support for my lexmark x75 in linux. i only persist with it because it was given to me and i have a lot of replacement cartridges for it. i think i'll get something better when my supplies run out.

the sense of community and number of people willing to help with linux and its stability and security has got me about 90% switched over.

grungedoobie
December 18th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Congrats Ubuntu for page # 600!

Got into Linux with Edgy, am now dual booting Jaunty/Karmic on a reconfigured Gateway GT5674. Microsoft blackballed the machine... Doesn't bother me... Linux is running awesome without the extreme hardware caps that Micro had put on it.

Machine: AMD Phenom Quad 9500, Chinese knockoff of an MSI Mobo that uses NVidia and Intel chips to run the AMD, 8GB RAM @ 800MHz, NVidia 7 Series 512MB video card.

Thank You! To all who have contributed to Linux and Ubuntu.

JayKay3000
December 18th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I've recently switched my Desktop FULLY to ubuntu 9.10 as I Had it duel booted for a while but only had Windows XP Pro for the games and am now growing out of them so as xp is about 11 years old it seems to me it's time to shoot the old dog and put it to sleep. I'm all for progress.

I am also a student and the university I go to has OpenOffice so I can happily save and send my files to tutors in native openoffice formats which is great and use openoffice on their network which incidentally contains labs of vista and gnome based machines but the gnome based ones have nice 20 inch widescreens. For uss comp sci geeks see :P

However. My laptop is sitting on Windows 7 Home to my shame but I love Windows 7.

I use the same open source software on both 7 and Ubuntu such as gimp, eclipse, openoffice, firefox and thunderbird for mail (use the stock mail client on ubuntu)

I also am keeping 7 on my laptop as there are still minor driver issues with Ubuntu such as my parents modem which i've tried and finally given up on as well as msn for voice communication to save on phone bills (they only know how to use msn)

But both the Win 7 and Ubuntu are comparable in productivity stand point, ubuntu only not gaining my full on support due to minor driver issues.

Other than that. If ubuntu keeps getting updated, i'll keep using it in some form.

campanhole
December 18th, 2009, 09:06 PM
i completly switchd to linux i first used ubuntu then i switchd to mint and now im back with ubuntu but the satanic version i like the effects on it its pretty amazing

AmiableAdder
December 18th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I haven't completely switched because I can't get all of my games working yet :(

I started with 9.04 dual booted with Vista 64, then switched from 9.04 to 9.10.

I'm able to get some of my games partially working. I got WoW's launcher to work, but once I start the game up I only have audio but no video. I almost got Warcraft 3 working, but the graphics are REALLY messed up (they look like they're in 8-bit color or something). I also have a bunch of other games that I haven't heard of anyone being able to get to work in Linux, so I'm not ready to make the complete switch until I'm able to get all of them to work.

I play TF2, DoD:S, all the Half Life 2's, Morrowind, Oblivion, WoW, Diablo 2, WC3, Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, League of Legends, a little bit of Warhammer, thinking of starting up Eve Online again but I can't afford another monthly fee atm, CS:S, Crysis, and Portal (not often though, once you beat it it's not fun to play for more than a few minutes). Until I can get all of those games working (besides maybe Portal and Crysis since I've already beaten them) I won't make the full switch, because I play games more than anything else.

On Linux I play The Ocarina of Time in Mupen64Plus, but that's about it because I don't really enjoy simple games like tetris, solitaire, etc.

Oh, and I'm getting a Logitech G13 and either a G500 or an Orochi for Christmas, so I need to be able to have the drivers and software working (drivers usually work, they do for my Lachesis, but software is what I'm worried about because I want to be able to edit the mouse's dpi, sensitivity, etc without having to go to another computer to do it).

So until I can get all of that stuff working, I can't make the full switch :(

Companies need to start making their stuff Linux compatible :x, unfortunately most people are either too scared to switch or have no reason to, so companies see no reason to spend the extra money to make it Linux compatible if not many people are going to buy it (especially since almost all of Linux stuff is open-source, so a lot of people probably won't want to have to pay for a program [and I don't blame them because I'm that way too], but I'm talking about games and software that comes with hardware [stuff that you always have to pay for no matter what operating system you are using]). I was somewhat of both. I started out on Windows 95 when I was about 6 (in 1997) and I've been using Windows since (went to 98, then XP, then Vista 64 about 1/2 a year ago) and never had problems with it, not even Vista, because I don't buy cheap crappy computers that can't handle it.

We need to get more people to switch, or dual boot it, so companies will start making stuff more Linux compatible and then eventually everyone will see that open-source and not having to pay for stuff is awesome, plus no compatibility issues. :KS

WOOT! Page 601 XD