PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

fela
September 2nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
whoahhh... thats alot of time installing OSs... unfortunately I only have a copy of vista :( I'd much prefer XP and Ubuntu (hardy)

That's just the two computers that I've had for myself (not including the macs). Right now we have 6 computers in our house; I built two of them and installed operating systems often multiple times on each.

I don't like to think about how many hours I've wasted installing operating systems! :cry:

RabbitWho
September 3rd, 2009, 12:14 AM
I officially (the lord mayor of cork came out and decreed it) don't need Vista for anything now. I'm a very happy bunny.

Aiman
September 3rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
I completely switched to GNU/Linux, except at work.
They are using WindowsXP, I still complain each and everyday about how slow and how it loves to hang in the middle of tasks. Even though they are using high end computers. Will keep on advocating and trying to convince them to do a switch though.

I still have a Windows 2003 Server that i stopped using AGES ago, i turn it one when i need to burn Xbox360 games, since there no good way to do so on Linux that i know of. and even so, i haven't had any game to burn in the past 3-4 months.

I even forced the switch on the family Desktop, first 2 days were hard on my little sister, but then she got to a point that she even asked me whats the sudo password !

wraithbg
September 3rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
windows is killing your system slowly

marchwarden
September 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
At home, I am about 95% Linux, but still use Windows for the odd game and for the odd pieces of obscure software I need from time to time. I have to use Windows 100% at work where Linux pretty much isn't an option.

coldReactive
September 3rd, 2009, 04:31 PM
I really no longer use windows now.

Thanks to Adobe not being able to activate my Flash CS3 ;)

nortexoid
September 5th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I installed Picasa 3 and works pretty well, compared to F-Spot it is faster at least on my machine. I tried F-Spot & gthumb, but it seems like Picasa will work for now.

Thanks

I just discovered gthumb--AWESOME.

beetee2
September 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I completely use Ubuntu. I keep Windows around for gaming problems (to test if they work in Windows, basically, then boot into Ubuntu and fix (or try to fix) the problem). I haven't "used" Windows in a long time, but it's still there.
My pc is Ubuntu / Kubuntu dual boot... Completely removed Windows a week ago and got back into Linux full-time (I dual booted XP / Ubuntu 7.0.4 for the past few years). Wanted to dual boot Kubuntu and Ubuntu to see which one I preferred, but I prefer Gnome personally, and now I'm wishing I had just made a single Ubuntu installation. I've finally got my system set up perfectly, Creative X-Fi with 5.1 surround sound is working, got Compiz fully functional, and system backups running logarithmically.

I work on Windows XP (C# .NET Developer), and my gf's computer has windows on it, but I will personally never install another Windows OS on my computer, I love Ubuntu Linux.

ssulaco
September 5th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I dual boot XP/Jaunty,The only reason that I use XP is Netflix instant watch.My preference is Linux.

PLAATS
September 6th, 2009, 01:36 PM
After using Ubuntu for 10 hours, i have completely removed vista from my laptop :). this was before 1 month!

p.s. Unfotunately i use Wine for MS Office, cause we use it in the office :). still i hope one day i will be 100% winfree and m!cro$oft free.

Cheers!

misterfixit
September 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM
After using Ubuntu for 10 hours, i have completely removed vista from my laptop :). this was before 1 month!

p.s. Unfotunately i use Wine for MS Office, cause we use it in the office :). still i hope one day i will be 100% winfree and m!cro$oft free.

Cheers!

You do not need to use MS Office.. Download and install The OpenOffice Suite. I use that and have had no problems with interoperability with people using MS Office. I do not know about the MS Office schedule application which I believe is used on commercial installations and which is driven by a company server.

HTH

Dave

Roasted
September 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM
You do not need to use MS Office.. Download and install The OpenOffice Suite. I use that and have had no problems with interoperability with people using MS Office. I do not know about the MS Office schedule application which I believe is used on commercial installations and which is driven by a company server.

HTH

Dave

Just to add to the above quote, I too use OpenOffice with Ubuntu and I have no issues with compatibility from here to work, whereas at work we use Office 2007.

Just make sure if you're going to work with Office documents a lot it might be a good idea to change the default save setting in OpenOffice to save in Office format rather than OpenOffice's format.

Tools - Preferences - Expand "Load/Save" - General.

Bottom of page, "Document Type", change the following:

Text Document - "Always Save As" - Microsoft 97/2000/XP
Spreadsheet - "Always Save As" - Microsoft 97/2000/XP
Presentatiton - "Always Save As" - Microsoft 97/2000/XP

That way Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents in OpenOffice save automatically in Microsoft Office compatible standards.

AlphaLexman
September 6th, 2009, 06:40 PM
The only reason I still have Win XP is to download mp3's to my 30gb MS Zune. I got it as a gift and just haven't found any PMP's within my budget to replace it. Once I do, I can't wait to erase my NTFS partition. I do keep all my music and data on an external hard drive.

nerdheroine
September 7th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Got my new laptop (no desktop) and committed to the switch outright. Had only used Ubuntu maybe once before converting. I think I learned to swim in much the same way. I hate to say it, but I'm a little weirded out by using an OS that assumes I'm way smarter and savvy than I actually am.

Thank you for your faith, Ubuntu, however misplaced.

Hosmion
September 7th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I still have Vista, because I still play some of my big MMPORGs on there...

But, I am still thinking about it...

kixome
September 7th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I did. I only have windows until I can get my magickjack to work on linux with decent quality.

peterthinking
September 7th, 2009, 06:39 AM
My personal box is Linux...My family still use Winblows and I'm loathe to touch them (the computers not my family!)

I hesitated for about 2 minutes before giving my new box a lobotomy since it had a new windows install and a bunch of software on it.
But after watching it chug trying to open the programs menu I decided the kindest thing to do was to kill it.
It just sings now!

Anyway I've tried about 20 different distros since I switched like 6 years ago?
Puppy Linux (Skinny puppy, Chubby puppy {has open office}, Browser Linux {has firefox})
SUSE (On like 9 disks?!?)
Slax
feather
many many others...

and of course UBUNTU from 7.04 up. currently on 9.04
KUBUNTU XUBUNTU EDUBUNTU and UBUNTU (Satanic edition)

I really like Puppy but UBUNTU has just made it too easy, everything gets recognized the install is sooo easy.

peterthinking

longtom
September 7th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Just to add to the above quote, I too use OpenOffice with Ubuntu and I have no issues with compatibility from here to work, whereas at work we use Office 2007.

Just make sure if you're going to work with Office documents a lot it might be a good idea to change the default save setting in OpenOffice to save in Office format rather than OpenOffice's format.

Tools - Preferences - Expand "Load/Save" - General.

Bottom of page, "Document Type", change the following:

Text Document - "Always Save As" - Microsoft 97/2000/XP
Spreadsheet - "Always Save As" - Microsoft 97/2000/XP
Presentatiton - "Always Save As" - Microsoft 97/2000/XP

That way Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents in OpenOffice save automatically in Microsoft Office compatible standards.

Very good tip. That is exactly what I do and it serves me fine.

However, there are not very much over formatted office files in this establishment. I do believe people have run into trouble before with very intricate formatted documents. It still has to happen to me so.

sushrut91
September 7th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I use Win XP as a primary os. Wish to switch over to ubuntu once I learn linux and unix in future.
Its asthetic sense is awesome. All windows lack its beauty and simplicity.

ranch hand
September 7th, 2009, 08:44 AM
My personal box is Linux...My family still use Winblows and I'm loathe to touch them (the computers not my family!)

I hesitated for about 2 minutes before giving my new box a lobotomy since it had a new windows install and a bunch of software on it.
But after watching it chug trying to open the programs menu I decided the kindest thing to do was to kill it.
It just sings now!

Anyway I've tried about 20 different distros since I switched like 6 years ago?
Puppy Linux (Skinny puppy, Chubby puppy {has open office}, Browser Linux {has firefox})
SUSE (On like 9 disks?!?)
Slax
feather
many many others...

and of course UBUNTU from 7.04 up. currently on 9.04
KUBUNTU XUBUNTU EDUBUNTU and UBUNTU (Satanic edition)

I really like Puppy but UBUNTU has just made it too easy, everything gets recognized the install is sooo easy.

peterthinking
I would be careful about touching your family too until they get rid of their trrible virus. Wash your hands regularly.

peterthinking
September 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I would be careful about touching your family too until they get rid of their trrible virus. Wash your hands regularly.

HA! Everything I know about Windows I learned while trying to rip viruses out of it!
NEVER AGAIN!

If anyone asks me to "Fix their computer" I say I can't but I can replace the OS.

Letting windows hook up to the internet is like teaching someone with haemophilia to juggle chainsaws.

peterthinking

sn0m
September 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I have no wintoss on my laptop. However I still have it on my desktop, which is also used as backup server for laptops and obviously for gaming and syncronising my PDA (windows mobile).
Ta
Sokol

Martin Rabson
September 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I have now installed Ubuntu 9.04 on first partition and Mint7 on second of first HDD. This is the closest I have ever been to completely moving to Linux.

The application that is stumping me at the moment is a music player to replace MediaMonkey. So I have VirtualBox with a 32 bit 'Microsoft Windows XP' machine on both Ubuntu and Mint to run my beloved Monkey

jacoody
September 8th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I use ubuntu as my main OS. There are only two things that keep me dual booting into xp. 1. I can't get Primavera P3 to work with WINE and I need it for work. 2. Netflix instant streaming, and I hate setting aside 15GB for windows just to watch movies online.

wobin77
September 8th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Dual boot Vista - Ubuntu.
Want to get totally rid of Vista, but i m still new to *nix, so i ll leave it there for a bit.
Also for gaming because i have a ATI gpu, and after several days trying to make it run as smooth as in Vista i gave up...
Seems ATI lets *nix users in the dark?

Marcel-X
September 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
After the Win9x misery, I start looking for alternatives. In 1999 I discovered Red Hat 6.1. For my work however I used NT4 with professional software (Adobe, Macromedia) which was not compatible with Linux in those days.

When I installed a pre-release of Windows 2000, I found this a breeze compared to the pre-millennium-bug Microsoft software.
NT5.0 was perfect for designing and music production. I never updated (not upgraded) to NT5.1 (XP) though.

Apart from the professional software I start using Open Source and Cross Platform software, so I knew the switch to Linux would be much easier in the future.

Since Windows was (and is) always far from perfect I kept a Knoppix 3.1 liveCD and a "Damn Small Linux" floppy to rescue the OS, or more likely, save my data!

So switching to Ubuntu 5.10 was the next logical step.
I have to admit I still have a dual-boot for some games and software which absolutely won't run in Wine, VMware or VBox.

So that will make me #5527, my girlfriend #5528 an her mother #5529.

Ric_NYC
September 8th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Dual boot Vista - Ubuntu.
Want to get totally rid of Vista, but i m still new to *nix, so i ll leave it there for a bit.
Also for gaming because i have a ATI gpu, and after several days trying to make it run as smooth as in Vista i gave up...
Seems ATI lets *nix users in the dark?

I feel the same. It seems like AMD doesn't want to or CANNOT compete with Intel, NVIDIA.

Marcel-X
September 8th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I feel the same. It seems like AMD doesn't want to or CANNOT compete with Intel, NVIDIA.

Eventually ATI hardware will work fine. It only takes more time to get it fully functional. I have an older ATI in my notebook which gave problems with composite and video. But it is now working as it should.

When buying a new card, take one with good Linux support, NVIDIA at the moment.

BTW. Completely switching to Ubuntu is NEVER a matter of hardware! IMO

ladypcer
September 8th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I use Linux primarily. Xubuntu, PCLOS and MiniMe. I still have Windows on one hard drive because I have downloaded Yahoo Games. I haven't found a way to get them to work in Linux yet.

wobin77
September 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Eventually ATI hardware will work fine. It only takes more time to get it fully functional. I have an older ATI in my notebook which gave problems with composite and video. But it is now working as it should.

When buying a new card, take one with good Linux support, NVIDIA at the moment.

BTW. Completely switching to Ubuntu is NEVER a matter of hardware! IMO

Yeah, eventually... But the thing is, if i buy a new ATI now at this moment, it runs like an older one. (read all choppy)
:-)

ttoolin
September 8th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Hi folks-

This seems like a good place to solicit an opinion:

Crossing my fingers (LOL) I would like to say that I'm done with windows. At the same time, I need to say that my family is not. I say that, because I consider myself moderately computer-literate, and know enough about the guts of an operating system to have patience with configuration and setup hassles. I find the hassles are frequent, but the solutions are almost always there, maybe hours or days away, but there, just the same. My thought is to maintain a windows box for my family, and an ubuntu box for myself.

I have been experimenting with ubuntu on an old Dell P4, to which I've increased the memory to 762 meg, and added a HDD to make the total 26 GB. The only thing I really want, that I don't have, is a processor speedy enough to do streaming video well. I'm finding recently, that I have turned into less of a 'geek' than perhaps I was a few years ago. I am becoming more interested in the utility and toy value of a computer, as opposed to an interest in the computer and information sciences (I still have a little interest in the inner workings, but as much as I was before I got married over 20 years ago).

I'm ready to consider my experiment successfully over, and I'm ready for a contemporary machine. What I'm considering is a laptop with a docking station. That way, I can have the best of both worlds: A desktop machine most of the time, and a laptop for the once-in-awhile excursions.
I will have ubuntu installed in it. Can I have opinions as to single or dual boot?

Ubuntu has done everything I need it to do.

Thanks.

One thing that I've noticed: New devices without windows are not very common. If I buy one with windows, I'll likely go dual-boot, just because I bought and paid for the O/S (with the Dell, I figured that it already lived its full life, and formatted its HDD clean). Other than knowing it will be on the inexpensive side of what laptops cost, I haven't decided on new, refurbished, or whatever.

ranch hand
September 8th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Check on your search engine for computers preinstalled with Ubuntu. They do exist.

Dell sells them.

http://www.system76.com/

equusaustralus
September 8th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I switched over to Ubuntu after a brief stint with Linux Mint in January 2008... and have NEVER looked back since! I still rely on some closed-source apps like Skype, but I still stick to it even though only one speaker seems to work with it :)
I've also been dishing out copies of Ubuntu to family and friends, and a couple of them have managed to make the switch.

recluce
September 8th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I played around with Ubuntu for a while in mid-2008 (Hardy) and could not get it to work for me, so I went back to XP for a while. Once it was clear that Windows 7 would not solve some of the fundamental problems I had with Vista, I tried again in early 2009 (Intrepid) - and my system worked 99% out of the box. With Jaunty, things got even better - and XP started to look really dated.

I have since moved my complete productive environment to Ubuntu. For the few applications that I cannot seem to replace by Linux-compatible alternatives, I use a virtual XP machine with Virtual Box.

These applications are at this time: Serif Page Plus X3 for DTP, Nero 6 for DVD mastering, a language course and sometimes, Adobe Acrobat for documents that are to messed up to work in anything else. Also, I use Canon Easy Photo Print - because I am lazy. :P

I feel much better running the few remaining Windows applications in Virtual Box, since Windows does not get network access - and hence no malware. Funny enough, my virtual XP boots faster than the real XP machine :o

While my computer (notebook with docking station) still is dual boot, Windows is strictly a game launcher now (no personal documents or data under Windows, no access to Ubuntu partitions).

Nick Brohman
September 8th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I've only just got into computing.

I',ve never had a chance to become 'computer literate' until 12 mths ago had never wanted to work with MS.

I decided, when I read about Linus Thorvold about 10 yrs ago, that I was now ready to 'compute'.

Took a while, both PCs that I now own were bought as bare boxes & this PC has never had an MS OS installed, sadly the poor ol' Celeron has.

Linux has always been my OS of choice.

Now if I could stop making all of the mistakes that I do,......

Nicko

murderslastcrow
September 12th, 2009, 06:11 AM
After Wine gained compatibility for one of my 3d modelling suites, and it had ended up running much faster than in native Windows, I was able to stop using VirtualBox altogether and now I have a completely Microsoft-free system in all respects.

I mean, if Wine improves at the rate it's going, very few people will have good reasons to stay with Windows, anyway.

zebedeeboss
September 12th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I have just finally taken the plunge after going back to windows 7 and bang... the damn thing froze again and had to be rebooted. Something that never happened in 4 days use of ubuntu under wubi.

So I have now installed ubuntu afresh.... no windows partition and I am happy. Now comes the long task of learning linux as well as I new windows.

One thing I cocked up... I partitioned the whole drive.... having forgotten I had a separate partition on there for some data (nothing important)... oh well "***** appens"

Looking forward to chatting to you all over the coming years...

Udayakiran
September 12th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Not me... I've tried 8 (:shock:) times and failed. I'm too addicted to games for that. And dual boot is too much of a hassle.

Shea7993
September 12th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Ive stated before im running a dualboot with of jaunty with win7, obviously win7 for the majority of my top games, though I do run most games from PlayonLinux (lack of a few graphical features like shadows etc dont bother me, its all about gameplay)...

Anyhow, ive been having some issues with my jaunty, not jaunty in particular, but ive noticed since i make great use of the internet that ive been having problems with my firefox browser, following 3 or 4 links my browser would fail to load pages, and id end up having to close the browser and restart it, and it would get worse... so, i went about to find another source of firefox maintained by someone else other than canonical (also with other apps), which made alittle improvement, however im now stuck to only comfortably browsing certain pages, and others would just kinda fail to load again...
so i switched to chromium which works brilliantly, except for the fact that i dont have a proper interface to make settings, and other than that, chromium doesnt have proper flash support which causes it to crash when you enable it....
meh, then, as a last resort to popular browsers that i know of, im now using Opera, which works excelently...

okay abit off topic, but getting to my point, realising the majority of open source applications I use on Linux are also available for wingdoze (pidgin, firefox and opera, open office, frostwire, filezilla, XBMC etc), ive pretty much installed them on my win7, and ofcourse it supports my gaming... so ive now come to this point of realising i would be better of using wingdoze which i then wouldnt have to dualboot, coz dualbooting realy is a hassle i will admit, to restart your pc just to play a game, and then restart again to do whatever else...

but im not going to ditch ubuntu just yet, Wine realy is improving dramaticly, and support for playonLinux is there, although very vaguely... In my opinion the future of gaming for linux is coming, with OpenGL3.1, and it should make gaming support from developers aswell as wine alot more easier =] methinks

misfitpierce
September 12th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I been just linux for years now, glad I left windows and mac... Hate both of them compared to Ubuntu.

Jim!
September 12th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Back to Windows after four years of solid Linux use. Why? Just felt like playing some old PC games and just giving Windows another shot. It's Ok, I guess. But I'll be reinstalling Linux again sooner or later, guess I just became accustomed to it.

matchstich
September 12th, 2009, 02:37 PM
i keep reading that folks leave ubunut for not having games.

http://www.getdeb.net/category.php?id=3

is one link to games, i have more but have to look thru my over loaded bookmarks

my favorite game is mahjong

Shea7993
September 12th, 2009, 04:12 PM
yes, im pretty sure just about everyone knows about those handfull of games, but doesnt make the impact your next gen games do (except for developers like id software and blizzard that develop games for openGL suport)... in some cases there are some games that can be played on linux with wine and playonlinux, infact i play quite a few of games on linux... in most cases just getting a console for games would be the best solution, however there are some AAA games Such as Crysis and very few others that dont make it to consoles either that we realy want to play... but cant realy without wingdoze, and in most cases,, graphics are everything to some people, so even playing it on linux with a few features not capable of working, some people just wont like it

tcoffeep
September 12th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Well, I recently added a 100gb XP partition to go along with my 100gb Funtoo partition. I have 100gb empty, in case I get a bsd or plan9 partition. still nto sure

ChrT
September 12th, 2009, 04:33 PM
GNU/Linux should seriously stop trying to tap the gamer market. I think it's blown way over proportion in that it's assumed that every windows user is a pro gamer that needs to play the latest games, yesterday. The large majority of users don't use their PCs for gaming at all, and frankly I see it as a waste of time. Linux can easily overtake windows in terms of user share even if every gamer kept their overclocked windows PRO GAEMAN RIG with water cooling and €4000 dedicated graphics processors that have absolutely no use for any other purpose but running bloated shovelware games.

So yeah, I don't use windows.

Hosmion
September 12th, 2009, 04:44 PM
It has been a few weeks since I went to Windows, but I have only had UBuntU for about a month. UBuntU is the best.

Katalog
September 13th, 2009, 01:38 AM
GNU/Linux should seriously stop trying to tap the gamer market. I think it's blown way over proportion in that it's assumed that every windows user is a pro gamer that needs to play the latest games, yesterday. The large majority of users don't use their PCs for gaming at all, and frankly I see it as a waste of time. Linux can easily overtake windows in terms of user share even if every gamer kept their overclocked windows PRO GAEMAN RIG with water cooling and €4000 dedicated graphics processors that have absolutely no use for any other purpose but running bloated shovelware games.

So yeah, I don't use windows.

I don't think Linux should abandon the gamer market altogether, seeing as how they have gained a good foothold in the server market and are starting to actually make inroads on the desktop, I think it would be logical to start setting their sights on a new segment of computer users. But at the same time I do see where you're coming from. From an economic standpoint, it has been much more cost effective for me to use Linux on my inexpensive netbook for productivity and communitcation, and use my PS3 for fun and games. The cost of both my netbook and gaming console combined are less than a really good gaming rig these days, so it just makes more sense to me (especially since I have one of the first gen PS3s that supports my old PS2 titles, and I was able to pick it up for a ridiculously low price). I realize their are some great PC exclusives that never make it to consoles, but I'm not so much of a gaming enthusiast that it really makes that much difference to me. There are plenty of titles for my console to keep me amused already, so I can live without a few. But that's just me, and everyone's priorities are different.

hyperAura
September 13th, 2009, 02:08 AM
well ive been using only ubuntu for the last couple of years but i have not erased my windows xp parition..:)

cncgeorge
September 13th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I am completely on Ubuntu. My wife and kids use XP on their computers. I run xp in a virtual machine on my Linux server. And run Linux on my netbook. I run XP on the VM for development in VB only. I have a lot to learn still about Linux, but its getting easier, as the software matures.

dragos240
September 13th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I have switched completely a few months ago. Just never used the windows partition. Deleted the windows partition a few months ago.

aaaantoine
September 13th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I can't even switch only this laptop to just Linux. Too much of my work and play is dependent on Windows applications.

On this laptop I run a Windows VM in order to run SQL Server Management Studio Express. It hasn't run well for me in Wine as of yet. I may try it again soon in Wine if I hear anything about .NET updates. I keep the VM around to test things in Internet Explorer and Google Chrome, so it's not like I would ever completely drop it. It would just be nice to not depend on the VM for database access.

Also on this laptop, I ended up adding a partition for Windows XP so I could play World of Warcraft without hassle. Of course, even in Windows the hassles of trying to play WoW don't go away. There seems to be a driver problem that I can't resolve relating -- I think -- to the system's southbridge (none of the integrated controls work: keyboard, trackpad, power button).

I tried running Ubuntu on my desktop at first, but decided instead to run Windows XP, since I use it exclusively for gaming anyway. There's no compelling reason for me to use Linux on that system for the foreseeable future, unless I happen to replace it with a better gaming PC.

Prince NiCK
September 13th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I have an acer laptop in wich if you format the HD you are going to lose windows vista. Im also a gamer. But I decided Linux are way better, and I have much more important things to do than playing games so I just made the big decision. And here I am now using only Ubuntu! :P

Noah_Kapiolani
September 13th, 2009, 12:59 PM
90% Linux only. However, I am amazed that in order to function at my college, their blackboard system locks me into a ******* only world. I simply cannot figure out how to get those streaming videos of my Professors' lectures to work in Ubuntu. If anyone can enlighten me then I would be 100% Linux. Downloading just PPTs and DOCs are no problem, just those darned important streaming vids in Blackboard (college software)!

celem
September 13th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Pure Ubuntu 9.04 EXCEPT that I have XP in a VirtualBox to run a financial program that I MUST have and it will not run under wine.

kiridude
September 13th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I originally kept a partition for XP just in case, but after about 6 months, I realized I had never used it - not once!

That same day XP was wiped from my drive and Ubuntu was given the extra space. I consider my free time to valuable to waste playing games, so Windows is basically useless to me - well, actually, a liability.

Rock on Linux and Ubuntu!!!

sigurnjak
September 13th, 2009, 03:06 PM
90% Linux only. However, I am amazed that in order to function at my college, their blackboard system locks me into a ******* only world. I simply cannot figure out how to get those streaming videos of my Professors' lectures to work in Ubuntu. If anyone can enlighten me then I would be 100% Linux. Downloading just PPTs and DOCs are no problem, just those darned important streaming vids in Blackboard (college software)!

Have you tried this :
http://snyderblogs.com/tag/ubuntu/

silvestros
September 13th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I have only linux for the last 4 months. But I have a virtual machine with XP because I need MS Office.

tapas.dib
September 13th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I have never used windows XP. Seeing screenshots on the net, it looks awful! (So ugly and tacky that it seems to hold your attention - like not being able to look away from a mother scolding her children.)

I used to have win98 but I got rid of that in 2002. I first started with mandrake and it made me want to vomit. Debian Woody was released and I installed that. Six months later, it was the only OS on my copmuters.

When someone asks me to install linux on their computer, I instal Ubuntu because I am sick and tired of aswering everyone's questions. Ubuntu just works - or requires only minimal tweaking.

I can't say anything about dvd or video playing since I do not use my computer for that.

Hey I guess u can Heeeelp me. I have problems getting my laptop to be charged. It worked well whn I had windows but know it doesnt work. my model is lenovo 3000 N100. please help. the laptop runs only on DC

tapas.dib
September 13th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I originally kept a partition for XP just in case, but after about 6 months, I realized I had never used it - not once!

That same day XP was wiped from my drive and Ubuntu was given the extra space. I consider my free time to valuable to waste playing games, so Windows is basically useless to me - well, actually, a liability.

Rock on Linux and Ubuntu!!!

I did switch to linux. But I am having nightmares with the power management. The laptop does not detect the battery I guess. It only runs on AC. Please help me

SuperSonic4
September 13th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I've been linux only for a couple of months now. I got rid of Windows when I decided to repartition my 3 hdds to make better use of the capacity (ie: stick data on the 640gb)

azmo35
September 13th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Yes,more time i pass with my Ubuntu more i wanted sepend with, so my wold lap 100% Ubuntu/Linux my New lap dual boot until everything works ok.

n97ua
September 13th, 2009, 08:05 PM
:D I switched about 6 months ago when XP crashed yet again. Microsoft makes junk. the sell it broken and then you have to fix it. UBUNTU is worldwide. I get people helping me everywhere.

Most stuff is not broken like Micro-Junk but there are some bugs and some instructions are not always clear of proofed.

HOWEVER ! I can tell you that the joy of making UBUNTU work and answering question like this make it far more entertaining then just playing games.

Also There is a version of ( FeeDoom )

Every day it gets better and better. Plus you learn a lot.
It takes a bit of guts but once you use it for a few weeks you get hooked.

If you always have XP sitting there then you gravitate back. YOu simply need to cut the cords and go for it full throttle for Ubuntu to make you a Linux guru.

Small steps at first. I do lots of hey.. What's this.... And Ubuntu people everywhere help me out. Even through google.

recluce
September 13th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Hey I guess u can Heeeelp me. I have problems getting my laptop to be charged. It worked well whn I had windows but know it doesnt work. my model is lenovo 3000 N100. please help. the laptop runs only on DC

This may sound silly... but could it just be a coincidence - and the battery is really dead?

If you still have a Windows partition, this should be easy to verify. Otherwise, boot your machine into BIOS. Many BIOS have at least a rudimentary battery health display.

If all this fails, try a Windows Live-Boot CD, like UBCD for Windows. Unfortunately, there is no legal way to obtain a ready-made Windows UBCD
over the net, but maybe some friend can help you out.

xouns
September 13th, 2009, 11:31 PM
This is hardly the place to talk about battery problems.

Anyway, even Windows 7 is slowly loosing it to Ubuntu. After a summers worth of thesis writing on my trusty Ubuntu installation (yeeh! no games! no distraction!) I went back to XP to find the wireless network no longer works. So using Windows7, the feeling kreeps up my initial entheusiasm was a little to premature and perhaps beased solely on the eye-candy it brings.

Moreover, I love running things in terminal, and configuring things in terminal. "Task manager" simply feels feeble compared to "killall". I think that in time, when my W7RC expires, I'll reformat the whole computer and only reinstall Ubuntu...:D

Rob Maddison
September 14th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I've been 100% Ubuntu for a week!

It's been an interesting week

cscott0108
September 14th, 2009, 03:44 AM
On my Desktop I compleatly use Kubuntu 9.04 x64 on my laptop I rarely use my Vista i like the 64bit os but so fare the only thing that i keep vista for is for Blu-Ray support Web-Cam support and Video Games but overall I rarerly vista even then use it I am posting this from windows because i just reinstalled my Vista to factory and decreased the installation size of vista for more hard drive space for Linux. and now im working to recover my linux. I would recommend looking at your needs if you are a casual windows gammer i would keep the second partition but shrink it as much as you can to still keep it functional if your a crazy gamer who is constatly gamming i would not make any changes but if you think you wont really be playing games all that much i would say that one is up to you.

extremizt
September 14th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Started using Linux some 3 years ago and for the last one year or so, completely switched to Ubuntu. It is such a happy feeling, a feeling of self-reliance ;-) Ubuntu simply rox \m/

Pirolocito
September 14th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I've completely switched to Linux, only thing is my cad Software this is still running in a virtual machine, but not for long....

See:
http://linuxmadeasy.blogspot.com/2009/09/dwg-cad-in-linux.html

Even for gaming i droped windows, I started to play games on Linux.

You can find interesting games either.

Today i made a review about gaming in Linux

http://linuxmadeasy.blogspot.com/2009/09/linux-gaming.html (http://linuxmadeasy.blogspot.com/2009/09/linux-gaming.html)

K7522
September 14th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I haven't used Winblow$ for about a year for anything other than light gaming. HL2 games aren't very well supported yet.

CoolHand
September 14th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I've been using Linux since 1995. Back then it took a lot of work to get some things to function. Now it just works. I only use Windows when forced to at work and I support my Wife's PC for her with it. At work I was able to switch to Win 7 but I still have the same issues I have always had with windows. The first install had to be blown away because a group policy broke the win firewall and killed DHCP. Even removing the policy didn't fix the bug. After that was corrected and reinstalled all was well until this week when I get to work and suddenly my mouse driver has stopped working. I simply can't trust Windows to continue to work beyond the initial install. It looks pretty but it's crap and it's expensive crap at that. My linux box on the other hand just works. It never gets viruses, once configured it stays configured, I can customize it to no end, I can use real scripting languages on it and it doesn't try to think for me incorrectly. MS has a lot of work to do before I would ever consider going to them and Apple is too expensive, controlling and that MAC dude sucks *****.

Yeah...I'm all Linux here. ;)

miech
September 14th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I have been using linux for the last 3 years as primary OS, but always in dual boot to be able to run a couple of games and Windows specific applications. Most retro games I play run fine in either Dosbox or Wine, but the newer ones really need Windows.

larky
September 14th, 2009, 11:14 PM
No MS Windows allowed on my PC since 2003. :)

hucane2000
September 15th, 2009, 12:24 AM
I Switched to Linux on my desktop and my laptop about 6 months ago and have not looked back.

quintus314
September 15th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I still use my Mac daily, but if I'm going anywhere, I use a revitalized ThinkPad R40 running souped-up Ubuntu 9.04. I SSH into it from school for testing 'n stuff so that

I don't get in trouble
I can do stuff (school has *******)

So yeah, I just cannot come to make the switch, after the intense investment into the MacBook. Plus, I wish they sold (commonly) blank computers, like without ANYTHING on 'em. That would save us 99 poppers. :mrgreen:

Oh, and I ditched windows AWHILE ago: haven't missed it for a second.

rajcan
September 15th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Ok, I did completely switch over to linux, and then I found out that my school already had a copy of Windows 7 available for their computer science students to download. I still have an ubuntu vm and have absolutely no complaints about it, but I'm rather enjoying Windows 7 now.

ElSlunko
September 15th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Linux for EVERYTHING except a game or two. Not much I can do about gameguard :\.

hariks0
September 15th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I still find ******* useful for the following:-

Mic & headphone [Both configuration and usage]
Enable/Disable my lan
Solving some problem with my Bluetooth dongle.
IE8

Last but not least "User friendliness" [even though it leaves the user in the dark about the activities of the OS.

monkeyslayer56
September 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM
completly use linux and game wiht WINE or native linux games

ranch hand
September 15th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I still find ******* useful for the following:-

Mic & headphone [Both configuration and usage]
Enable/Disable my lan
Solving some problem with my Bluetooth dongle.
IE8

Last but not least "User friendliness" [even though it leaves the user in the dark about the activities of the OS.
IE8! I ran Wincrap Pro for years and never used IE. I have looked into IE8 it is still the second largest hole in your security. You probably use Windows Mail too.

Have fun with all the security that I surely do hope that you are running.

Katalog
September 16th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Plus, I wish they sold (commonly) blank computers, like without ANYTHING on 'em. That would save us 99 poppers. :mrgreen:.

Unless you're talking specifically about Apple, there are retailers like Zareason who offer desktops for around $299 with an option of absolutely no operating system whatsoever. I believe the model is the "Limbo 4110" (or something close to that), but the specs are pretty decent and it is obviously a popular choice as they are frequently sold out of them. I actually plan to get one myself to set up as a home server when they get them back in stock.

Windows Nerd
September 18th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I have, but XP remains on my lappie for a couple reasons:

My printer-sometimes CUPS gets all angry for some reason.
Games-Sorry, but I know Starcraft 2 is coming out in a couple months and I don't know about WINE and how Starcraft 2 will like it....
Last resort-I am still an inexperienced Linux user, but extremely experienced with Windows.

Other than that, Linux>Windows, hands down.

Kdar
September 20th, 2009, 04:48 AM
On my laptop I am just using Linux and love it.

I still have Windows XP on my Desktop computer, but I am thinking to just install Ubuntu on there too.

I still use my laptop much more.. (especially if I am trying to program something.. man its so much easier in Linux)

phreakyo
September 20th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Completely switched about a month ago. Using Fedora 11 KDE atm. I've got everything working perfectly and am content. My only hang up was on games, but I've found that Heroes of Newerth, Wesnoth, Freespace 2, NWN, and Warsow are just about enough to satisfy urges for any particular gamestyle.

LostInHelix
September 21st, 2009, 05:58 AM
I've now COMPLETELY switched to Ubuntu. I was hanging on to Windows for a few reasons, but now that I have gotten my issues worked out, I am very happy with it. It does everything I need, so far usually faster and better than Windows was. I'm actually pretty excited with it :D

Dullstar
September 21st, 2009, 06:27 AM
For my needs, I can switch away from Windows, but I can't switch exclusively to Linux. Mac and Linux is the combination I need, because of these things called "games." Most of the games I play (SPORE, for instance) have Mac versions that come on the disks, or in the case of games such as RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, it actually works BETTER in WINE than it does in Windows.

Khakilang
September 21st, 2009, 09:11 AM
I use Ubuntu completely for internet access as its more safer and use Window XP for games only which I can't really let go until I get tire of it than it will be Ubuntu Linux.

CyberJack
September 21st, 2009, 10:19 AM
I switched to ubuntu for all my computer needs (at home and at work).
I even got a few co-workers to switch to ubuntu at work. :)

There are unfortunately 2 things I need windows for (until there are alternatives)
1. programming my TC30 remote control (is a branded logitech harmony)
2. flashing new firmware to my touch diamond
For these 2 things I have a virtualbox instance.

uberdonkey5
September 21st, 2009, 11:55 AM
arghhh.. I am condemned to continue with windows because of it is so rubbish.. let me explain:

with XP and ubuntu, all seemed well for compatibility with microsoft office. Now I have microsoft office 2007 and I found excel files take so much time to open in open-office that its quicker opening them in windows. Also, office 2007 seems to have problems opening files that I have changed in openoffice on occasions. Also i lost some graphics.

Last week I spent ages going between both ubuntu and microsoft (I am now used to open-office) because of these problems. When everyone else uses microsoft, it can be very annoying.

I think there should be more boycotting of microsoft and active promotion of linux, if nothing else, just to force microsoft to be more compatable.

Thinking of going back to XP and earlier version of office.. at least with free software its easier to choose what version you want.

matchstich
September 21st, 2009, 01:19 PM
I think there should be more boycotting of microsoft and active promotion of linux, if nothing else, just to force microsoft to be more compatable.
\

wanna promote linux? make a mess of linux install disc's and then , go to freecycle.com, find your city, and offer them one to a custonmer.

be amazed at the replies you will get. also, re-furbish old computers , load them with linux. and give them away.

used to work with a church in a poorer area, gave away a lot of machines to folks. plus, once in a while, when i was working , would buy a stack of disc's on sale. put iso copies of the linux live cd on them and offer them up on freecycle.com

i got some of the machines from freecycle. folks up graded to a newer model and gave me the old ones. also, on trash day, go around the richer areas . the days after xmass were a gold mine of machines sitting in the trash.

thanks

am on disability now, and i can not afford to do any of that any more.

uberdonkey5
September 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM
thats great.. well, I am sure you made a difference when you had the money! thats what money is for anyway cos the only other thing we can do with money is burn it for heat :D

Enigmapond
September 21st, 2009, 03:08 PM
I have completely switched over to Linux and am extremely happy. I do, however, have 3 ******* applications that I use through Wine...one is a game, (Morrowind), one is an IM, (BitWise..as I couldn't get the Linux release to install properly), and Format Factory which I find quite useful. Other than that, all the rest is Linux....

Cheers...

Dragonfly_X
September 21st, 2009, 03:45 PM
I use Ubuntu at home but I'm subjected to Windows at work every day, unfortunately .NET is my bread and butter!:oops:

electrovalent
September 21st, 2009, 07:13 PM
I would completely switched to linux if everything was compatible(linux+hardware)

Katalog
September 22nd, 2009, 02:26 AM
I would completely switched to linux if everything was compatible(linux+hardware)

Is there anything in particular from a hardware standpoint you're having trouble with? If there is, please let us know what it is and perhaps we can help you out. I've found very little hardware (computer specific, i.e. network card, motherboard, etc. anyway) in this day and age that I haven't been able to find a workaround for in Linux. I've even run into some peripherals (printers in particular) that seemed like I would never be able to get to work, but in the end, with enough perseverance I've almost always been able to find a way to get them to function. Of course stuff like Zunes and certain iPods are deliberately built to be tied to certain platforms, but even many smartphones, PMPs and related devices have a solution out there somewhere. You may even be surprised how much information might be right under your nose in the community documentation wiki if you have the patience to search for it. :)

randrews
September 22nd, 2009, 02:48 AM
I have a Vista box that seems to play nicely with my xbox 360 and zune 120, so I see no compelling reason not to let it continue to do so.

Now that I have my dellbuntu, it's my primary *computing* platform.

I'm not sure what OS is on my TI-89 Titanium, but Palm OS is on my Treo.

If I decided to put a PC-like device in every room of my house, they would nearly all be linux boxes, I'm sure. It's just a question of what goes where.

chewbakker82
September 22nd, 2009, 03:50 AM
I have completely switched to Ubuntu 9.04 after buying a compatible ASUS motherboard to run it. The interface and desktop effects are incredible. :) And this was after using windows 7 RC for the past few months.

littlemog
September 22nd, 2009, 04:11 AM
used to work on a macbook and windows on my eeepc, but now i'm completely on jaunty on the eeepc, totally enjoying it.

took some getting used to but SPSS-> R, Notepad++ -> Kate, Mathematica-> SageMath and I'm set! (still have to contend with Windows for my trading but I just use VBox for that odd task)

rikiriki
September 22nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
From what I read Windows is mainly for gamers (and mugs as once said by Bill Gates) but although I am not one of them I am still forced to keep XP on my dual systems because there isn't a driver available for my Creative Live! CAM Vista IM and also PPS/PPT files cannot be viewed with audio. I know...buy a new Linux compatible webcam and forget M$ originated programs. :)

Anthoni Gardner
September 22nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Hello,

I am totally brand new to this forum and totally brand new to Ubuntu as an operating system. So far I a totally loving it, although it is taking some getting used to. To help with my transition from ******* I bought some Ubuntu books from Amazon.

I have two computers, one a "desktop" PC and the other a Laptop. Ubuntu is installed fully on the laptop, did this last week and don't for a second regret it. The desktop however still has XP on it.

I would switch that over as well but I can not find any program to replace Flash 8 Developer (with remoting) and unfortunately I am the admin of a few sites that require that and that is what helps pay my wages ;)

If there was anyway to develop full flash on Ubuntu then I would drop Windows without a seconds thought. I am also converting my friends computer over to Ubuntu, but he does not have an internet connection. This makes upgrading packages troublesome, but not impossible. All I do is sudo apt-get -d <package-name> and then install onto his.

Love Ubunutu.............

Regards
Anthoni

legolas_w
September 22nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Switched completely to linux on Ubuntu 7.04. before that I was a casual user of linux.

This forum was the biggest source for me to resolve the problem and stick with linux in spite of problems which i faced.

Here I should thank Canonical, Forum staff and all members willing to share knowledge with others.

cbugsubunt
September 22nd, 2009, 11:39 AM
completely ubuntu . and the reason is coz am not a gamer!!
last windows use before 6 months

ChrT
September 22nd, 2009, 12:43 PM
I haven't used windows on my own computers since 2004.

Ulsak
September 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Switched completely to linux on Ubuntu 7.04. before that I was a casual user of linux.

This forum was the biggest source for me to resolve the problem and stick with linux in spite of problems which i faced.

Here I should thank Canonical, Forum staff and all members willing to share knowledge with others.

I'm too lazy to write it myself so I copy/paste this.
So..no windows since Feisty for me either..

wolf1962
September 22nd, 2009, 01:29 PM
m only new to Ubuntu but have tryed red hat mandrake and suse and Fendora But Ubuntu and Kubuntu are the moreuser fiendly ive tryed in Linux i still have XP on for the missus and daughter for the games as oon as it is easier to play games wthin linux id put the windows cd in the bottom draw

Katalog
September 23rd, 2009, 05:35 AM
From what I read Windows is mainly for gamers (and mugs as once said by Bill Gates) but although I am not one of them I am still forced to keep XP on my dual systems because there isn't a driver a. I knowvailable for my Creative Live! CAM Vista IM and also PPS/PPT files cannot be viewed with audio...buy a new Linux compatible webcam and forget M$ originated programs. :)

I know the feeling, since I have different people on the two platforms who all want copies of the same presentation sometimes. I still use OpenOffice, but if I make presentations that will be viewed on both platforms, I'll save one copy in PPT format with embedded audio in WMA, and save another copy for the Linux folks in ODP format with the same embedded audio in OGG format. I just use Sound Converter or Oggconvert to reformat the audio or video files, and then I have a copy that makes people using either platform happy. :) It's a little more work (maybe 10 minutes or so), but it does the job and keeps everyone content. I know the Linux folks could probably view the PPT just fine if they had the right codecs installed, but I have a few purists on my hands who refuse to do that and would rather have it in non-proprietary format, and I don't mind donig it both ways.

The only real concession I've made to Windows (just recently) since switching over is having to run Lotus Viewer 3.5 (formerly PureEdge, before IBM bought them out) in Wine for XFDL files, since as far as I've been able to find they don't make a version for Linux, and it's the only "approved" program we use where I work that supports digital signatures from our access cards (and getting Linux to recognize the card viewer and certificates in the first place was no small feat, either).

SomeGuyDude
September 23rd, 2009, 05:44 AM
Joined November of 2007, and I'm pretty sure I'd had Ubuntu on my system for a little while prior to that, so it looks like I've got my 2 year Linux anniversary comin' up. I haven't had Windows on my machine in some time.

The funny thing? Not using Windows has made getting a new computer less and less necessary.

vrkalak
September 23rd, 2009, 06:23 AM
I downloaded and installed Ubuntu to my PC about 4 months ago.

I knew I really didn't like Windows Vista . . . after about 2 weeks, I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my PC and totally deleted Vista.

I now have Ubuntu 9.04 as my only OS on both my PC and laptop.

PC has Ubuntu 9.04 and LinuxMint-7
and my laptop has Xubuntu 9.04.

I love Linux; I'll never go back to Windows.

shaunsmith_99
September 23rd, 2009, 06:37 AM
Thinking of converting my dad's laptop as all he uses it for is going on the net, emailing and watching porn :P . Also he tends to pick up quite a few viruses from all the dodgy sites he goes on and codec packs he downloads. I think I'll set it up for dual-booting and try to wane my dad onto Linux, but he doesn't like change.

Man, I've been an on-again-off-again linux junkie since High School. I started with a Pentium-166 Thinkpad with *Gash* Corel Linux. I dinked around with Red Hat, and in 2007 I started using Gutsy. However, installing Gustsy on a system that didn't work well with it gave me such a headache.

Now that I'm in Grad School - I have a Dedicated linux laptop for linux only. I can get Simulation Software, Minitab clones, Sweet office stuff, all on the open soure community. Don't know how I did it with OSX before.... :popcorn:

majiciannz
September 23rd, 2009, 06:53 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
My previous laptop ran XP and I still have that in case I have to access a website that will only allow full access with I.E. (yes they do exist)

I bought a new Notebook a year ago running Vista so I duel booted Ubuntu 8.10 until Vista crashed and died.
I then had to decide, Vista or Ubuntu. I chose Ubuntu and haven't looked back.
Now running 9.04. It boots and shuts down in less than a minute, not five minutes.
I can rip, convert and burn any CD and DVD (backup purposes only) and get any software for virtually any task at any time.

Once you make the decission to switch you'll find the answers to any problems that arrise, thanks to the selfless people on Ubuntu Forum and Launchpad.

But then again, I'm not a gamer.

kfitzenreiter
September 23rd, 2009, 02:13 PM
This is my thing. Why does everyone feel the need to "decide" ?

I've configured dual boot machines rather quickly. You just want to load in this order...
Windows XP, Windows Vista, Ubuntu.

I'm dumb as far as linux goes and ubuntu does 90% of the configuration work for you. You just have to partition well at the start.

dart1007
September 23rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hi,

Been with Linux since 2006 and haven't looked back since...

gwydionwaters
September 24th, 2009, 01:01 AM
i have, i was with windows in the beginning, up to ME. then i was into redhat/mandrake then i bought a mac which was a breath of fresh air. now i have dropped os x in favor of ubuntu. i like it better, and it's open source like my phone :-D i play on my xbox when i actually play games, and i might grab a ps3 also so...

linux-linux
September 24th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Me from 100% windows -> 50% windows + 50% redhat -> 100% ubuntu

Guido Giunchi
September 24th, 2009, 05:44 PM
For the ipod use Rhythmbox with nmy ipod worx gr8 you can even add/remove songs if it was loaded from another pc - itunes

tobik999
September 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I felt in love with Kubuntu, the only missing thing is a ... to make love with it :D

Earl_Maroon
September 24th, 2009, 06:42 PM
After being thoroughly appalled at Vista's file manager I upgraded to XP, which BSoD'd on me for some reason. A friend suggested I try Ubuntu, which I did and after a rocky (but interesting) start with Gutsy I found myself liking Ubuntu far more than I ever did Windows.

So, since October 2007 I have been using Ubuntu exclusively...

Except for music production. I have been unable to find a way to have my hardware work with Linux, and frankly the DAW software is much better for Windows. It's disappointing.

openfly
September 24th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Back in 2000 I completely switched to Slackware.

Many months later, after learning the ins and outs of the 2.4 kernel series, just so I could get my network card and sound card to work at the same time... I went out drinking.

I came home drunk and decided to switch to FreeBSD. This is when I learned never to drink and sit in front of a terminal.

I stayed on FreeBSD for the next 2 years.

Then I switched to Debian.

I stayed on debian on and off pretty much ever since. I roll ubuntu on my netbook, but I'll always hold Debian near and dear to my heart. Most of my home systems are debian. My desktop sometimes will go debian for months on end depending on what I am up to.

Nowadays I roll <insert latest microsoft release here> on my desktop as I use it pretty much for 2 things... tv and video games. My laptop dual boots XP and ubuntu... I find XP is an easier environment to dev on hardware projects with as a lot of the firmware loading tools for some chips are "windows only".

My job has me dealing with windows, redhat, and solaris almost exclusively.

That's my story anyways.

c0mput3r_n3rD
September 24th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I use Ubuntu 8.10 and only Ubuntu 8.10. I wouldn't use winblows if they payed ME!

freackout
September 24th, 2009, 10:20 PM

if you want to use your full hardware in windows on linux you can opt for xen windows will see the full graphics and whatever memory you allocate ect. while at same time you can also use linux, virtualbox allows 3d graphics now. but its limited.

Cope57
September 25th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Linux gamer since 2003.

whoya
September 25th, 2009, 01:46 AM
i just started to use ubuntu with a dual boot with win xp. been using ubuntu for maybe a month. still trying to workout how to use it and set up the things i used in windows. like i had my tv connected to my pc so i could watch .avi off the pc to my tv. other things are like where things save too i know my windows file system inside out i can find a file i saved from when i first built this pc. i also had utorrent working sweet in windows too. i know all these things should be possiable with ubuntu, i just got to work it out.....thats what makes it fun, trying to get it to work.

BAMF1501
September 25th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I find ubuntu a very good OS Out of general of course.. BUt in the back of myhead i have the idea to keep going back to windows due to one problem and one only and thats the video editor but i recently found openshot to be a great non linear video editor just needs more features and then it will be great for a decent video editor but i'm looking for somthing more like sonyvegas or imovie or even finalcut studio possibly just a clone or replica of one of those 3 cause i know out there they have developers that can create such content!!

And then once they have that i will be 100% fully dedicated to ubuntu linux 9.04 jaunty jackalope and soon to be ubuntu 9.10 Karmic user :)

Oliphant
September 26th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Installed Jaunty on a second hard drive on my desktop. I try to primarily use Ubuntu however, I have a large amount of software that will only work on Windows. Luckily Crossover has been able to take care of most. So once I learn a little more maybe a years time I will be operating 100% linux.:popcorn:

antieuclid
September 26th, 2009, 10:12 PM
My current score is three Ubuntu desktops, one xubuntu laptop, one OS X laptop on permanent loan to my mom, and one Windows desktop that sits in the corner and does nothing but iTunes. I've become so spoiled that I've started bringing in a bootable USB drive rather than use Windows at work.

Johnny_Lifeson
September 27th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I have only 1 laptop that runs XP, thats out of 7 machines. The reason for this is ,the ease of burning video DVD's . It seems to be the only downfall in Linux. :popcorn:

cyprys
September 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM
With Linux since 2007 or so. My HDD crushed and I couldn't see the point of installing Windows once again. I used to install several distributions in about 1999 to 2003 but back then I was mostly a gamer and had some troubles using wine.

lordppm
September 27th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I am still trying Ubuntu.

Machnikowski
September 27th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I use different OSes for different purposes. Windows is my work OS, Mac OS X is my home OS, and several Linux variants are my play OSes.

90sgamer
September 27th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I've used Linux off and on since 2004 or 2005, starting with SLAX and experimenting with Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, SUSE, etc., but a few weeks ago I started getting daily blue screens under Vista 64. I used the Vista disk to reinstall, and it couldn't find required installation files. Ubuntu 64, on the other hand, now runs near flawlessly. I hope I can stick with this from now on.

Catarina
September 27th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Not only did I remove Windows Vista from my desktop in favor of a Linux distro, but started using 2/3 distros at the same time. (This might not be much for some, but considering I'm not a power-user yet, I guess it's good ;-) :guitar:

My first real computer, like really mine, was "given" (it was cheaper then a netbook, that's almost given for me) on a program started last year over here at Portugal, that offers relatively good laptops to students with a 3G connection for around 150$ and for some, for free. Anyway, I'm not one on the lucky group, so I had to pay for my laptop and I'm stuck with this crappy Internet connection, having I got a much better at home, and at full price (yes, those who don't pay the computer, only pay 5$ per month to get a 7.2MB connection w/ 1GB traffic).

I had some hard time choosing, I wanted the best, and I was pleasantly surprised to find a Insys Gameforce with this portuguese Mandriva-based distro called "Caixa Mágica", and in terms of hardware, it was the best. So I was like, "Well, I heard Vista sucks, and with these specs, I won't be able to do much with it anyway." I searched a little about Linux, I was satisfied enough, no virus, stable, free and fast. Sounded good to me. And I was right. On both sides, the Windows side and the Linux side. Later on, when I installed Vista, I had a decrease on my performance, and almost a quarter of my disk occupied by it. So I forgot about it, and dedicated myself to learn more how to work with this new OS at hands. Well, the distro was so crappy, I had a really bad experience, I dunno how I even stuck with it, no wireless connection, incomplete repositories and lots of crashes. But eventually I was satisfied with being able to connect to my 3G connection and surf the web, until I had the opportunity to buy a better computer.

I remember that in the middle of the experience, I downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 and installed it on my laptop, one of my very first installs, and I dunno what went wrong, but the screen resolution was crappy and there was no way to change it. I guess it must have been the driver, but back then I was alone and ignorant xD

So I waited until 4/5 months ago, my mobo got all messed up, and I sent my laptop to warranty. It took so damn long, my grandparents took pity on me and decided to buy me this wonderful desktop I'm writing on right now. :KS

It came with Vista, and I actually liked, never experienced big troubles with it, except when I changed my wireless router last month and kaboom, it would be the only computer out of the 5 computers on this house that would not be able to connect to the wireless connection. I had a million and one theories, but after trying to connect to it on another Vista laptop, I knew it had to be from Vista. At that time, my laptop had already came back, and I temporaraly used it to connect myself to the internet using Ubuntu 8.04, since I had been trying Ubuntu 9.04 on VBox at my desktop. And OMG, ever since then, I was not able to stop trying every single distro out there (okay, except those hardcore ones like Gentoo and Slackware, later, kay? :lolflag:)

One day, I decided, "F*ck Vista!" and installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my desktop, leaving just a backup image of Vista on another partition, just in case, but it's not INSTALLED. It's just like a ISO, a Live CD, but on a partition. It's weird I know, but whatever xD

Now I'm using Linux Mint 7 as my main Desktop, and on my laptop, Kubuntu 9.04 (finally I set my boundaries beyond GNOME and I was rendered speechless with this new KDE4!) and Fedora 11 (Linus has a great taste :P). I haven't got the need to use WINE or go back to Windows, everything I might want from a OS is right here, on Linux.

There's still some distros I'd like to try, like Debian but I've already gone through SUSE, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Fedora, Mint, Kubuntu... and I'm happy with what I've got at that. If there's a sudden urge to try something like Mandrive (I'm kind of afraid, after the whole Caixa Mágica incident xD) I have my trusty laptop to run whatever I want :)

THE END. Srry, for the big long boring story.

ranch hand
September 28th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Try Mandriva2009-1 (or spring as they also call it). Big download but if you install it all you get the choice at login for Gnome, KDE, or Lxde.

Catarina (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=904548)
I to have a bunch of distros on board. That way you have a backup if you "play" to much with one of them.

I prefer Gnome but it is nice to have the choices.

Get rid of the MS partition. It is a waste of space that you could use for something FUN.

ErikEhlert
September 28th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Haha, I am glad I am such a retro gamer, my laptop used to be nothing but Quake, Doom, Duke Nukem, etc.

Of course, WINE.

I myself did do a full switch, partly because of so much clutter was on my laptop and I was too lazy to clean it, so I figure I might as well go back to my lost love of linux :P

errigalmarten
September 28th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I'm like OP here.. Still like my games. Besides when I'm gaming, though, I'm Linux all the way.

harperd
September 29th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Almost! Use Ubuntu for nearly everything .......however. Problems with sound with Skype, impossible to run Blackberry Desktop manager and impossible to run Belkin gaming adapter set up has kept me in dual boot mode.

Cool Surfer
September 29th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I will be trying ubuntu studio 9.04 and see if it meets my music recording and editing needs.

I dont need much stuff, just audacity and works like that to produce something like this music which played and recorded in windows . check yout this link :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hiCwH7ABsU

JDShu
October 1st, 2009, 06:44 AM
I finally wiped vista off my computer today. I was hesitant because I figured I paid for it when I bought the computer, might as well use it... but I realised that I haven't used Windows for half a year, so it was just taking up hard disk space.

diesch
October 1st, 2009, 06:54 AM
I completely switched to Linux about 11 or 12 years ago. Before I had Linux and DOS/Win3.11 dualboot for about one year.

Kryzzalid
October 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM
Hi, I only use Ubuntu now. I deleted windows for good at the beginning of this year after I couldn't bear its unstability anymore. Always something is going wrong whatever you do or not do! I kept Windows for so long because i was playing video games. I guess it's the same reason for lot of people.

DivineTemplar
October 1st, 2009, 02:14 PM
I cannot say I have made a 100% change over, but I would say I am about 85% over to Linux now. The other 15 % tends to reside with games.

However for day to day browsing and functional purposes, Ubuntu has certainly taken over the overwhelming majority of my computing. WINE is a fairly effective emulator for most things that cannot be done on Linux ready software, and the catalog of useful Linux software is surprisingly large.

bhadams1
October 2nd, 2009, 04:22 AM
I can't completely switch, but I have been advocating at home and work. Work will probably not happen, because I work for the government and Windows dominates the workplace.

At home though, I use Windows XP on an old laptop for streaming Netflix on the big screen. Wife loves the Sims, and unfortunately, it only plays on PC and Mac. So the desktop (running Vista) is the powerhouse, hosting our server and networked items, and for playing video games.

I'm so tired of working on computers for work and sometimes at home, and when I just want to enjoy surfing, blogging or use a word processor; and when I travel, I just want something simple and light for the above mentioned, so I bought a Dell 9 mini.

Which is why I want to completely switch to Ubuntu Linux for it's simplicity. Other than games, mainstream video compatiabilty and user knowledge/adaptability, I am slowing converting to Linux at home.

samthehobbit
October 2nd, 2009, 04:43 AM
I've switched my home PC, media centre & in the last two months my work laptop too.

Unfortunately I do have to work with Visio and some nasty web apps that require IE so I use VirtualBox for those.

My home PC is dual boot but I haven't used XP since I installed it. The only reason that I can see booting into XP in the near future is if Modern Warfare 2 doesn't like WINE.

timinator94
October 2nd, 2009, 05:17 AM
About 3 months ago my programing friend introduced me to ubuntu..... so i took a leap of faith and wiped windows and swiched to 9.04.... best decision i ever made... most of my games run with little or no tweaking, user interface is awsome(after mods and customization of course)..... im a 14yr old programer who whole-heartedly endorses ubuntu.
P.S. trying out ubuntustudio 9.04 x64.... cant wait to play with it

Dalek-Sec
October 2nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
3 months ago I finally got sick of my new HP laptop with Vista running worse than my junky 4 year old Comapq with XP and I decided I should just replace Vista with XP. After reaserching how much work it was going to be finding working drivers for my new machine in XP I wiped my hard drive and installed Ubuntu 9.04.
I'm not sure why I've seen so many articles (on other sites) bemoaning the switch and praising Vista... I actually ENJOY using my computer now. I've had to set up a few things using the terminal and even though I'm new Its been pretty easy with the wealth of shared knowledge waiting to be found with Google.
I went from wanting to throw my laptop into a fire and getting a new one to now being quite fond of it and its new OS. All my old games (even DOS ones) are now compatible/playable and all my videos play correctly. I can browse the internet and write documents for school without having to wait for long unexplained pauses, etc. It's amazing how much easier it has been to set up Linux rather than getting Vista to do what its SUPPOSED to do.
I never want to go back to a MS product again... Ubuntu saved my computer's life and my sanity!

samirbasha
October 2nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
unfortunately I still use windows
Gaming, VOIP, OCR, Adobe cs4

ranch hand
October 3rd, 2009, 05:10 AM
3 months ago I finally got sick of my new HP laptop with Vista running worse than my junky 4 year old Comapq with XP and I decided I should just replace Vista with XP. After reaserching how much work it was going to be finding working drivers for my new machine in XP I wiped my hard drive and installed Ubuntu 9.04.
I'm not sure why I've seen so many articles (on other sites) bemoaning the switch and praising Vista... I actually ENJOY using my computer now. I've had to set up a few things using the terminal and even though I'm new Its been pretty easy with the wealth of shared knowledge waiting to be found with Google.
I went from wanting to throw my laptop into a fire and getting a new one to now being quite fond of it and its new OS. All my old games (even DOS ones) are now compatible/playable and all my videos play correctly. I can browse the internet and write documents for school without having to wait for long unexplained pauses, etc. It's amazing how much easier it has been to set up Linux rather than getting Vista to do what its SUPPOSED to do.
I never want to go back to a MS product again... Ubuntu saved my computer's life and my sanity!
Sounds like me and this box. Bought it a year ago with Vista. Ran slower than a 10 year old P3 with Win98. Installed 8.04. Runs like a striped ape.

itsbrad212
October 3rd, 2009, 11:53 PM
I have completely switched to ubuntu some time ago. The only problem for me is compatibility. i can't seem to get the java JDK to work. Any Ideas?

rickyrockrat
October 5th, 2009, 06:26 AM
OCR on Linux is bulletproof. I had to scan some docs into Linux...Started up xSane, and over the network used my HP Officejet to scan to Tiff files at 200 DPI, then ran tesseract (from the repos). All that is on the repos, and I am still using intrepid.

Oh, and VOIP? Skype, Ekiga work fine. Skype finally figured out that the world has gone 64-bit, and has binaries for Intrepid.

But then I completely switched to Linux in 2004.

acm79
October 5th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I have completely switched to Ubuntu 3 yrs ago, although I still keep XP on hard drive, just in case :) I have to admit that XP was useful to me just one time when some distribution got some problems with bluetooth. No more windows :)

andyba
October 5th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I have to admit that I have an xp in my virtualbox that I use from time to time for work. Unfortunately I have to use some specialized programs that work only on xp.

fallenshadow
October 5th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I have completely switched to Ubuntu about a year ago... however recently I had to install Windows XP in Virtualbox because I need to use Visual Basic and Office 2007 for college. :(

Astrals
October 5th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Use linux for nearly everything, use virtualbox for distro experiments, use wine to run a handfull of applications. = 99% linux.

inunu
October 5th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Been dabbling with Linux since 99, Red Hat, Suse, Mandrake, Debian, and completely switched over to Ubuntu with the release of Hardy, unfortunately I still need a XP VM to run some work apps.

zoomy942
October 5th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I have completely switched to Ubuntu about a year ago... however recently I had to install Windows XP in Virtualbox because I need to use Visual Basic and Office 2007 for college. :(

i have office 2007 working great in ubuntu :)

nobbydog
October 5th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Just completely switched to ubuntu 9.04.
Wiped vista off my laptop no going back.
Everything up and running,internet firefox,email evolution,cube and cairo dock.
Learning everyday

Regards Nobby

randysilverwolf
October 7th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Ive been Windows free for about 4 months, I'm an emulator guy so i have all my games running =D n64,psx,gba etc. Been between ubuntu and fedora, but mostly ubuntu, games work better in it, and man im telling you, thank god for wine...

Grigsby123
October 7th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Added Mandrake in 2004, then switched to Ubuntu in 2007. Now using Ubuntu 9.04--- absolutely excellent, it just can't be beat!
Haven't used windows in many years, but I hear they are now copying many of the Linux innovations...
Would like to try Redhat and others some time, but too lazy to change what works so well.

Khushboo_khan
October 8th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I am new to Linux. i want to switch to Linux permanently but can't becouse i can't understand its enviroment. i need a tutor for it. any tutorial ?? you suggest

dougo
October 8th, 2009, 08:49 AM
WinXP was tolerable but when that computer died and the new one came with Vista and many things didn't work (like updates, shutdown...) I could not take it any more and installed a second drive, dual boot Ubuntu, installed VMWare on Ubuntu, converted WinVista with VMWare Converter and now run Ubuntu as the host OS and Win Vista in a VMWare guest. There is not much left where windows is useful. The Canon scanner driver on Ubuntu using Xsane has some problems and I could not get SlingPlayer to work under Wine, and my Garmin GPS mapping subscription is only on Windows.
But for 99% of daily life Ubuntu is MUCH more pleasant than Windows, and much faster.

M4FFU
October 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Only just started using Ubuntu, but aside from Lightroom and Canon DPP, it's got everything I'd need for casual, personal use. :) Dual boot for now, but XP will only be used for LR.

windowsfree
October 8th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I have, altough there is an XP machine on my small network.

fuzzyk.k
October 8th, 2009, 01:09 PM
i keep a Desktop for gaming , everything else is linux

xopher
October 8th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I first started using windows, back in the early 90's. I regrettably missed the DOS era :/

After I'd played around with windowses all the way to XP, I switched to linux completely. My first linux experience (own install) was around 2001, then around 2003 I was already solely using linux, debian at the time.

I then switched to ubuntu around 2004, being more bleeding edge. I was using ubuntu until 2008.

2008 I installed OS X on my PC, and haven't looked back.. Can't say it's more stable or faster though, but it's just so beautiful - and applications I use daily (and don't have linux counterparts/surrogats) work natively.

Maybe I'll switch back some day, but for now I'm happy with this :) Oh, this is not a flame, I love ubuntu still!

AppleBonker
October 9th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I haven't made the jump yet, but I'm nearly there. I just began testing my hand with Linux (more specifically Ubuntu distros) a couple of months back. I consider myself to be somewhat of a geek (if it can be plugged into an electrical outlet, I probably enjoy tinkering with it), so I have been finding my way around ok. I'm still not totally comfortable, but that will come with time.

I still need windows for some scanning of photos/slides as well as photo editing, but I've spent nearly 99% of my time lately in Linux. I'm very happy I bought my netbook a few months back. That is what inspired me to run Linux. I figured I needed an OS that wasn't so resource hungry to run that thing. I'm now thinking about upgrading the hard drive in it and removing Windows entirely on that unit (still testing Win7 on it now). I've still got a Windows dual-boot on my laptop (but that might change at some point as well). I'll have to keep a copy of Windows on my desktop for the previously mentioned reasons. I've also installed Mythbuntu on my old box since I had most of the parts to build a complete system left over from my recent build. I can honestly say that the learning curve for fixing some of the minor issues I encountered was a bit steep, but after only a few months I feel I've got nearly all four of my PC's running exactly as I'd like (now just the tweaking which I seem to be addicted to). Linux has been a dream to use!

jovemac
October 9th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Although I know little about linux since 2005, i didnt migrate. Just kept using windows and as a crown i purchased the OEM. Last month i had an issue. I noticed that my browsers home page is set to some annonymous url and I am not able to change it. and my systems performance suddenly become slow. Tried to scan with all the ways i knew and approached microsoft for their support.

After 4 email transactions, I got fedup as my issue was not sorted, called microsoft over phone and and spoke to the support-tech head, they appointed a person to assist me and solve my issue. That great person again made me to download some properitory antivirus which detected some malware installed in my system. when i googled about the properties of that malware, i got shocked, as that records all my keystrokes and mails to its boss.

Then our support person came with a smile saying that he found that my system is infected. and came out with the solution of formatting the system as the malware has comfortably seated inside the registry files which is very difficult to re-construct. Even if we re-construct the malware will become a sandwitch between the old and new registries which wont solve the issue. Now i am forced to format my system. With great difficulties, i did a backup of all the outlook mails, chat histories, google received files etc etc and did a format.

Also I felt that its a layman's solution of formatting a system. What did microsoft help to solve my crises? Nothing.. otherthan i wasted my telephone bills and time with them.

Even after formatting and restoring the files, the system crased in a a weeks time. Just felt its high time to switch over to Linux where my data can be safe and comfortable. and thus in the progress of that.

migrated the outlook files to evolution and installing the components one by one as I am not much familiar with linux.

Hopes to migrate to linux compleately in due time with all your support!

Regards
Jo

rezonant
October 9th, 2009, 03:23 AM
My laptop HDD is split 50/50 for XP and Ubuntu but I only have XP in case I need it for something unachievable in Linux. Which so far has been almost none (Wine is getting very good).

jwbrase
October 9th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Well, since I needed a laptop for the exchange year I'm currently doing in Germany, I bought a System 76 machine, and I like it. I'd been almost completely back to Windows for a while after our Dell desktop at home broke 9.04 when I uprgraded from 8.10. But with a purpose-built-for-Linux machine, 9.04 runs without problems.

Private_Ops
October 9th, 2009, 07:49 AM
After downloading and installing Ubuntu 9.10 Beta on my desktop and finding that the ATI drivers (onboard HD3200) actually work without messing everything up I've seriously considered it but, for the time being, still dual booting.

angico
October 9th, 2009, 10:49 AM
About a year ago I bought a Compaq Presario which came with that bad vista installed. I did bought it because it was a sales promotion. But as soon as I came home, I installed Ubuntu 9.04, and that's forever! Now I'm completely free!

imaddhatter
October 10th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I have been using Xubuntu 9.04(*current*) and Ubuntu 9.04(*deleted*) on my old Dell Dimension 2350 killed itself using Windows XP. I was never a linux using after a ex got me into using it. Best think for people who can't afford the expensive OS out there like Windows Vista or Mac OSX. But I have used most of the Windows OS and have played around with OSX. I use Windows Vista (soon to be Windows 7) on my Toshiba Satilite P305D. Just don't know if I want to use it on that system yet after experimenting on my Dell.

cameronedwards
October 10th, 2009, 02:12 AM
i completely switched by accident when i tried to dual-boot debian. my wireless drivers didn't work so i just installed ubuntuover that as well.

guriinii
October 10th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I changed completely, murdered *******. And I have a PS3 which I intend to convert also.

MilesRdz
October 10th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Games and ATi 3D video support would be the only things holding me back from switching completly.

randywilharm
October 10th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Greatest mistake I ever made:
Spending $250.00 on Vista premium "upgrade"
thinking I would get more permissions by
getting it. What a mistake!!!

I completely switched to linux (ubuntu) after Vista DIED a year ago.
My friend on Cape Cod says he makes $75.00 an hour
fixing viruses on PC's ---95% Microsoft. What does that tell you?

Installing Ubuntu linux was the best thing I ever did for the PC
and my peace of mind........and i'm not going back!

Lord Stig
October 11th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I switched to Intrepid in May this year after dual booting with XP for about 6 months. I realised I was booting into XP less and less so I thought I'd see if I could live without Windows. Never looked back.

My desktop machine does everything I need (except full screen HD youtube playback over a theoretical 10Mb broadband connection - in practice I get about 3Mb). The main thing I use my desktop for is music and video playback and web browsing, so this is ample.

In fact I increasingly use other machine - my natty little laptop (we're close - I lost my wi-fi virginity to her in July) and find that she, sorry, it, suits my needs perfectly, especially since I got extra RAM for it (would keep locking up with 256MB when doing anything other than web browsing, and rarely resumed from sleep). The bigger hard drive also helps! The only thing it doesn't have is a CD or DVD writer, so I copy stuff to USB memory stick and then use my desktop to burn. I might get a writer for it but have already spent £15 on RAM, £25 on power adapter and mains lead and £40 on HDD.

Have no problems with 'vanilla' Intrepid but Xubuntu Januty seems to have some odd problems on my laptop: not always mounting my FAT 32 memory stick as read AND write; Thunar sometimes says the location of a file doesn't exist when copying/moving (I use Nautilus or PCMan to avoid it and for the tabbed file browsing); audio would set to mute on startup (cured through these forums - thanks guys!) and the CD/DVD only ejects through the OS (button doesn't respond); but these are minor niggles.

Basically what I'm saying is the live CDs of Ubuntu and its variants brought me to Ubuntu and convinced me to try it as my principal and later only OS, but it's actually you guys (and girls) who have solved the little niggles, helped me get the best out of what I have and provided tips and tricks to get the programs I like and the setup I want from my machines, so I wanted to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to all!!!

Desktop: HP Compaq d530 SFF Pentium 4 2.6GHz, 1.3GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Ubuntu Intrepid, ext3
Laptop: Toshiba Portege M100 Pentium M 1.2GHz, 768MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Xubuntu Jaunty, ext3

VioletsPie
October 11th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I support Crossover which can handle tons of window apps. It's a more user-friendly Wine.

Crossover can run most of the mainstream MMOPRGs/FPS and as for applications it can run the entire Office 2007 suite and lots of Adobe etc.

Crossover runs on a subscription.. think of it like a magazine.. $70 your first year then $35/year subsequently.

And the company helps its free cousin, Wine.

You can run mostly everything on Codeweavers. Sometimes you have to temporarily settle for earlier versions of software.

http://www.codeweavers.com/

carusoswi
October 11th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Actually, I think it is wine that supports crossover, as the crossover iteration is generally behind wine where most of the development takes place (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). I agree that Crossover is more user friendly (well, in my experience, things work in Crossover when the do not in Wine).

But, to topic, I have not complete switched away from Windows (XP Pro) because, whether I like to admit it or not, there are still certain areas where it just ceases to make sense to continue struggling in Linux when the solution to the problem is already complete in Windows. Case in point: I'm going through a grocery bag full of old 35mm negatives, scanning those images that appeal to me as archival in quality.

I actually undertook this little project after discovering an open source driver that made my scanner 'fully functional' in Ubuntu (9.04), and I have installed Cinepaint so that I can manipulate 16 bit files. However, I discovered that the driver is outputting in 8-bit, and, so far, have found no switch that allows for 16-bit output.

Xsane allows for 16-bit output, but, has some sort of incompatibility with my scanner (Epson Perfection 2400) because I cannot get proper color from its scans.

If I wanted to work in 8-bit, the Image scan application would be fine, but I really wanted to work in 16-bit.

So . . . back to XP I go where I am greeted with the Epson Twain 5 software that came with my scanner, clear and functioning option for 48 bit (16-bit per channel) scans, instant and automatic thumbnail preview with perfect auto-exposure and color compensation for negative film, batch scanning of 1 or all images, preview rotation, etc.

Once scanned, I can touch them up with CS4, clone out shadows, etc.

So, I live with XP's annoyances in this case - not all really XP's annoyances as part or most of the annoyance is with the Epson Twain software, itself which tends to want to monopolize the desktop as though I have nothing better to do than watch that blue progress bar move from left to right. You can dismiss it, but it tends to pop up right in the middle of other work.

ImageScan is happy to work in the background not to speak or be heard from again until you click on the task bar to bring it back to the foreground.

I love Linux/Ubuntu. . . it's efficiency, low footprint, quick booting, rock-solidness, freedom from virus scanners and all sorts of other 'protection' devices.

. . . and I realize that lack of software support is a function of non-cooperative third-party vendors (albeit, ImageScan is provided as open source by Epson), and I also realize that in time, we shall have all available to us in Linux (it gets better all the time).

. . . but, in time, my negatives will either fade or succumb to other maladies. I need to digitize them now, not later.

So, for this task, I have turned back to XP.

That's why I continue to maintain XP as a dual boot option on my machine.

I love Ubuntu and it is fine for 95% of my work. I still rely on Windows for that other 5%.

My 2 cents (sense).

Caruso

I support Crossover which can handle tons of window apps. It's a more user-friendly Wine.

Crossover can run most of the mainstream MMOPRGs/FPS and as for applications it can run the entire Office 2007 suite and lots of Adobe etc.

Crossover runs on a subscription.. think of it like a magazine.. $70 your first year then $35/year subsequently.

And the company helps its free cousin, Wine.

You can run mostly everything on Codeweavers. Sometimes you have to temporarily settle for earlier versions of software.

http://www.codeweavers.com/

BigGeoff
October 11th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Have been windows free household for about 18 months now. 2 Desktops and 2 netbooks (plus Rockbox on my MP3 player). Probably the most interesting and useful thing I have ever done, not necessarily the easiest but not as hard as a lot of people make it out to be.

Geoff

metalwraith
October 11th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I just recently did and to save a few bucks I cannibalized my Win7 computer that was an old Gateway machine. I needed to use the heatsink and fan..

If I do wind up needing a Windows machine I'll just get a netbook to keep my Blackberry Curve 8900 updated/configured properly. Which is just about all I used Windows for now anyways.

xadart
October 12th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I've been using debian on my main and ubuntu on my laptop for nearly a year now. I do love it, but the only thing I get frustrated at is incompatible (winblows) software that I need, for some reason,and that isn't a fault really with ubuntu, but rather with the vendors of the software I want. Hopefully one day linux will prevail. Actually, I know it will. It's just a matter of time. For what I need though, linux does the job, it's rock solid and that's why I use it.

gcday
October 12th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I tried it and keep going back to windows because there is always something that doesn't work. For example, at the moment, I can't get my 02 dongle to work - it's just all too much hassle.

rmfought
October 13th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I happily used Ubuntu as my primary OS from Fiesty to Gutsy, but Hardy Heron introduced a persistent freezing on two out of three of my machines. I stuck with Gutsy for a while, but got frustrated by lack of updates, and application deficiencies such as IM (Kopete is pretty damn good, but not good enough), spotty wireless (fwcutter and ndiswrapper only worked about half the time), and the fact that I had some specific Windows software I needed to run. And, I just got tired of "tweaking" instead of "using".

For nostalgic reasons I loaded the latest release (9.04) on my laptop and all went fine, until I did a system update. After reboot my screen goes black, and stays black. Xorg strikes again. I smacked my forehead and rebooted into Windows XP.

I just don't have the time anymore. Fiddling with Linux has become tiresome.

alanbrodbeck
October 13th, 2009, 06:38 PM
The machine that I use most belongs to my company, it was issued to me in July and came with windows; but I have only booted to windows once since week one when my manager authorized me to use Linux.

I haven't removed windows because of the unlikely event that a new requirement for my job might be impossible to do with Ubunutu--as an SAP programmer there are a few things that are more difficult to do with the Java SAPGUI than with Active X controls, but so far they have been neglegible.

dvn3ch
October 13th, 2009, 10:01 PM
My complete switch has been very recent. I still have a LT that has XP on it. Lately it has been the only way to recover my crashed iPhone which gets locked up several times while trying to use Virtualbox with XP and iTunes (good Lord, both of those words together make me gag) loaded since WINE will not support iTunes(x). I have simply kept my wife's LT as an XP machine for her sake and my iPhone's sake.

Really though, what exactly was I expecting? A proprietary Apple program running on a proprietary Microsoft OS inside an unsupported version of Virtualbox (3.0 non-ose) in an unstable version of Ubuntu (jaunty). Looking back at the whole thing, I really can rationalize anything to myself. But all is still good as long as I do not run XP or anything made from Apple.

As far as Ubuntu/Linux OS? Yes, it simply works. It does not crash (other than aboveforementioned) and provides me with a much more interactive computing pleasure that I can customize as I see fit. Don't be fooled by Windows people. They maybe able to customize the look and feel of their desktop but they can do very little "under the hood".

:guitar:

lrcaballero
October 13th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I did 4 weeks ago, and I am having lots of FUN and learning very much!!!! I am very happy with Linux and I don't want to look back at MS Windows......... ever...(I hope)

Luis

Dy1anW
October 14th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I'd love to use Ubuntu exclusively, but unfortunately AutoCAD doesn't work very well under Wine (at least it didn't the last time I tried). So now I still have to put up with Windows and its occasional partial-crashes-for-no-apparent-reason features simply because of that.

Funny enough I actually find Linux easier to use than Windows. Try to do something in Windows requires a convoluted trek through multiple layers of menus, etc, and that's assuming I can even do what I want to. In Linux a couple commands at a CLI (with helpful tips from UF.O users) will usually solve the problem :)

dchurch24
October 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I tried it and keep going back to windows because there is always something that doesn't work. For example, at the moment, I can't get my 02 dongle to work - it's just all too much hassle.

That suprises me. I simply plugged mine in and it worked instantly.

TheStroj
October 14th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I switched to Ubuntu completely 2 months ago, because It has everything I need - I can even run all my favorite games in it (using Wine). I hope I'll never have to go back to Windows again (had too many bluescreens and viruses).

ricojonah
October 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I've been running Ubuntu as the sole OS on my "family media center" for a while now, and it's been very nice experience for both my family & myself overall. It's a Dell GX620 connected to my 32" HDTV

Having transitioned from Windows, there are a number of small annoyances with using Ubuntu, but most of them have been overcome thanks to the vast amounts of knowledge & tutorials on these Ubuntu forms.

trubble
October 14th, 2009, 07:24 PM
We have moved every machine in the office over to Linux Mint except for the machines that need to use Livezilla (doesn't work in Wine grrrrr) and Endicia's Dazzle (almost works well in Wine).

The machines running Linux run unquestionably faster, are so much more secure, and literally maintenance free. As said in the other posts, Linux just works.

The machines still stuck with XP for the reasons mentioned above had of course 12+ security patches yesterday that had to be run, taking the machines offline.

Once we can move the last 2 windows only programs off of windows, we'll be 100% Linux -- and we can't wait! :)

Marti68
October 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
A mate of mine has a real Ubuntu fetish. You know the type; Microsoft is the work of the devil etc. Recently he admitted (almost confessed) to still using MS XP daily. The reason is simple; smartphone and Outlook give simple effective synch'ing or diary and emails.

Personally speaking I am impressed with Ubuntu and after three months I am about 60/40 Ubuntu to Win XP time. The elephant in the room is that while all the "stoopit Windows Outlook users" are happily synchi'ng their smartphones this is not possable (even with Android) and Ubuntu!

My new Toyota Hybrid is much nicer and more advanced that my old Ford Diesel BUT if it had been delivered with one wheel missing, guess which one I'd still be using?

What do I know; stoopit Windows user!

Pelsia
October 16th, 2009, 03:24 AM
In terms of usage, I'd say I'm 90/10 Ubuntu. Went through the trouble of exporting all my Outlook files, and then converting them for use in Thunderbird. Outlook was nice for noting events that will happen later in the year (like a friend's birthday 5 months away), but found that using a pencil and paper To Do List is way more effective than imputting them as tasks into Outlook. Only reason I still have XP at all is that some of the games I frequently like to play either don't run at all with Wine, or their functionality is impaired (like loosing sound). Once Wine or PlayOnLinux has truly solid gaming support (like 90%+) I'll drop Windows like a bad habit.

Jekshadow
October 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Linux: No
Open Source OSs: Yes

I use Linux for everything (unless you count the computers at my school managed by complete idiots). My server runs Debian Lenny, my laptop Ubuntu (Karmic Beta), my file server runs FreeBSD, and my router runs OpenWRT.

countervail
October 16th, 2009, 09:16 PM
As of today, I switched to ubuntu as my primary and only OS. Had windows 7 before.

I am not regretting, I am sure that my journey will be full of adventures, wild ones :)

And no, this time I will survive! :P

Running Ubuntu 9.10 64Bit on Corei7 950, 6GB Ram and 2x 295 GTX on SLI.

Couldn't get my 2 black caviars to do raid, so I am just using them as normal drives.

Having some low performance with Heroes of Newerth but it's not biggie, the game is still in beta stage.

<3 Ubuntu!

yester64
October 17th, 2009, 07:05 PM
i just recently switched over to ubuntu.
Version 9.04 is the first one that really worked for me. Before i had always issues with hardware and something did not work.
I still have windows installed, but mainly for gaming and to sync my toshiba mp3 player (which does not work with linux).
Everything else works fine on linux.
so i would say that i switched to 90% to linux. Although i move my gaming habits to my console now.
(in the future i may switch to mac which is my desired system).

PostChache
October 17th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I completely switched to Linux, I haven't used a Windows OS ever since. It's a really lame story on how I did a complete switch too I was installing Ubuntu on my laptop and my friend was helping me and he was like "Yeah do this and that" and next thing I know my Vista partition was deleted and I was like =.= But after getting use to it I really do enjoy it a lot more!

CRAY-4
October 17th, 2009, 08:00 PM
i made the switch about a month ago

quake live is very fun

urban terror is the best

tremulous is also very fun

xmoto is very addicting

bshosey
October 17th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I started playing with ubuntu 6.04 on a IBM Thinkpad A31. But used Windows Server 2003 as my main os on the desktop. Was like that until ubuntu 7.04. Had a friend that had a Dell Inspiron 1721 laptop with OEM of Vista. This laptop never ran correct. It was sent to Dell several times. He got mad an got a Mac. He gave me the Inspiron. First thing I did was installed ubuntu 7.04. Never had a stability problems with it. Noticed about the same time that ubuntu 8.10 came out I haven't used the desktop. So I got rid of the desktop. I only use Windows at my IT job. I do not miss running windows at home!

carlo bolzonello
October 18th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I have moved over 98%, i have to use my laptop with windows 7 now and again for certain things, like testing our vendors application, but other than that i have made the switch now for the past 2 months.

Happy as can be :), i used to game and that does not work on ubuntu unless you have wine installed, quite sad as i want a operating system that you dont have to VM things to make work, not how things in the 21st century work, however, i can live without gaming.

try make the switch...the first few days are a bit rough but after a while you will be very happy

ve4cib
October 18th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I've essentially completely switched as far as I am able to. That is to say that at home I'm 100% on Linux, barring the dual-booting family box (XP/Ubuntu -- but I only ever use the Ubuntu side of that; I only touch the Windows side when something is broken). My two laptops are Ubuntu-only.

Now, having said that, I still use some Windows applications (under Wine); I use Apophysis and a few Windows games regularly.

At work I'm stuck using Windows, and there's no realistic way of changing that. Unless someone can figure out how to install ArcGIS for the .NET framework on a Linux box, and then let me use Visual Studio to write Windows server applications with it. Yeah, that's what I thought.

But fortunately at work I can mitigate my Windows-dependency issues by using Windows versions of most of my favourite OSS applications. I use Geany for all my basic text/HTML/Javascript/XML/CSS/etc... processing, I use GIMP for all of my graphics needs (namely creating icons for web applications), and Firefox is obviously on there (along with about 10 other browsers). I've even installed KDE for Windows, and I've compiled EmelFM and Fluxbox for use with Cygwin, and I've installed Ext drivers so I can use my thumbdrive. So all in all it's a very Linux-friendly Windows machine I have at work.

Lavahead
October 18th, 2009, 09:01 AM
100% Linux as of a year or so ago.

I had switched from Windows to Apple (OS 9 then OS X) about 4 years ago, but the cost of replacing the computer was prohibitive. I settled for a cheaper Toshiba Satellite notebook with Windows Vista and was actually happy with Vista until the SP1 upgrade came along. It completely hosed the computer. The restoration process for Vista takes several hours but, in the latter case, the restoration was unsuccessful. In addition, NTFS locked the entire file system, so I had no access to files. Fortunately, I had the Ubuntu 8.04 CD lying around. I installed it and everything worked except for headphones. Aside from that and the movie players constantly locking up Gnome, I am staying with Linux.

tumii
October 18th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I removed XP yesterday and did a clean, fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 for the whole hard drive. I use a netbook, Acer Aspire One A150, which is enough for me. Only thing which is not working is WiFi, but I use an external stick to solve the problem, though I want the Wifi working. Any ideas how to get it?

desmane
October 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM
99% ubuntu. Took me 3 years to realise though, that simply the default settings work perfectly fine - to get my work done.

Just had winxp on my new hardware, because of battery usage and stuff. And now? Its not even dual boot anymore. Thanks to karmic, hahaha.

Sometimes I use Virtualbox/WinXP, but honestly - with the seamless mode it just feels like any other ubuntu application!

please check my screenshot, it looks so cool ey?

DaveHi
October 18th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Made the move last month when I replaced Vista with Karmic.

Not all plain sailing, but, neither was Vista. Would love to be able to get my Belkin USB Dongle working and find a good replacement for Digsby (with Facebook)!

Overall, just more comfortable with Ubuntu, and as I haven't felt any real withdrawal symptoms, looks like I'm here to stay! :P

2bob
October 18th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Linux just makes my life easier...

djm227
October 18th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Wow.....

I am new to these forums, so forgive my ignorance. But I have been on a lot of forums in my day....and this has to be one of THE LONGEST threads of all time.

proxess
October 18th, 2009, 10:29 PM
You should check the bump thread...

I completely switched when I forced myself to use Warty. Before that I had tried Fedora but to no avail. The transition was a bit difficult but now I completely love it. I still keep Windows 7 on my PC (Laptop actually) when I feel like playing (tho not always necessary to play, anyone up for True Combat: Elite?).

miles95
October 19th, 2009, 03:54 AM
i just install ubuntu on my desktop and i fell in love with it and i still have my dell laptop with vista for now for when my friends comeover so i dont to do or if something happens to my desktop

deancasino
October 19th, 2009, 03:57 AM

Dual boot man, it's the best way. Minimum Windows install and you'll be sweet.

deancasino
October 19th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Would love to be able to get my Belkin USB Dongle working and find a good replacement for Digsby (with Facebook)!

Empathy is your best bet mate, I have it and I love it

aala
October 19th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Simply the best! 1000000% LINUX

flexible, powerful, fast,...I can keep going & going & going Man! just like the energizer's (the battery) bunny,... know what I'm saying!.... It's just the best OS no doubt than so ever about that! yep Straight up!!!

DaveHi
October 19th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Wow.....

I am new to these forums, so forgive my ignorance. But I have been on a lot of forums in my day....and this has to be one of THE LONGEST threads of all time.

If you haven't already found it you have to look through the 'Cool applications you use that others might not know of' thread. If there was an award for longest useful, or just best thread, this would get my vote.

AllRadioisDead
October 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Simply the best! 1000000% LINUX

flexible, powerful, fast,...I can keep going & going & going Man! just like the energizer's (the battery) bunny,... know what I'm saying!.... It's just the best OS no doubt than so ever about that! yep Straight up!!!
That's subjective.

kpholmes
October 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM
does running windows in a virtual machine count?

ranch hand
October 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM
That's subjective.
Anyones reason for doing anything is, to some extent, subjective. I am sure that there are OS' that do things better than others, there may one that is the best at everything. If I can't get it to work because of the guy on the keyboard it is no good for me.

Seeing how the guy on the keyboard is a major part of the PC user experience, reasons for using a particular distro are bound to be subjective.

Sven6210
October 20th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I am only running Ubuntu on my netbook so far. However the more I use Ubuntu the more I like it and the more I am thinking about installing it on my big laptop. I managed to find a good Linux version of most applications I am really using and therefore the applications are not really the issue any more.

However I am still hesitating. I grew up with Windows since version 3.0 and had all the ups and downs. And so far I think that XP is a quite good windows and I do not really see a reason why I should not keep it. What counts in the end is that the computer works and does what I want him to do. And sorry to say, so far it is easier for me to get my Windows XP to do what I want it to do than my Ubuntu. Only the time I needed to invest in order to get the microphone of my EeePC 900a work in ubuntu is amazing. And I still do not have the same quality I have wind Windows when using Ekiga for a SIP telephone call (Voice over IP account).

Maybe I will reconsider giving Ubuntu a try on my laptop during Christmas when I have some time. But for the time I am fine with Ubuntu on my netbook and Windows XP on my bigger laptop.

Stosskraft
October 20th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I have completely switched about 2 months ago. I am very happy but the transition is not seamless as I thought. These forums are a great source of info but I still cannot solve some problems and I do get frustrated (why cant I hear sound in wolf ET?!?!?!).

I wish there was some paid support for noobies like me to get up and running. Sometimes I follow the advice online and I have more trouble...heheheh Info overload

MongooseCage
October 20th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I nearly did, the last time i logged in is about a year ago... Now I have one laptop running ubuntu, trying out Windows 7 in the mean time.. gonna return to ubuntu and slack after i get a bigger hard drive, need windows for work. Used to boot Windows really occasionally back then.

KapteinPyn
October 23rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
I switched over completely to Ubuntu two days ago. Ubuntu Netbook Remix for the netbook and Ubuntu 9.10 for the desktop. I have been using UNR for quite some time on the netbook though. Really enjoying 9.10.

wii552
October 23rd, 2009, 01:22 PM
i would entirly switch to linux, but i keep windows on my drive JUSSSST in case ubuntu gets messed up and i have to come here. :P

ranch hand
October 23rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
i would entirly switch to linux, but i keep windows on my drive JUSSSST in case ubuntu gets messed up and i have to come here. :PYou know, that is what I thought when I started and then I realized that I could dual boot with Ubuntu and still have a "life boat".

manoriax
October 23rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
All my computers are running with Ubuntu. :>

HonzaPokorny
October 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
I have an all-ubuntu system. And used to have an XP installation for testing Python scripts. No more though. Ubuntu is awesome, baby...

Koosti
October 23rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
I'm kinda the same as most gamers I guess. I still have an XP installation on my secondary hard-drive for my games.

If there were any games that had the same appeal to me on Linux as those I play on Windows, I'd make the chance in a heartbeat... Unfortunately, that's not the case.

tahitiwibble
October 23rd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Completely! Love it! Love the company!

akand074
October 23rd, 2009, 11:06 PM
Linux all the way! I could never go back to Windows. I use Windows at school on my laptop just because of Office and other software and I've had to epic fail attempts at configuring the linux drivers for touch. But on my desktop that I use the most often, laptop is strictly for school, Linux only! I couldn't imagine going back.

imaginashawn
October 23rd, 2009, 11:44 PM
I use Ubuntu for everything! I don't have the patience for windows problems.
Only time I see Microlimp is when I help friends who are still fighting with it.
'Microlimp - More useless everyday!' :P

kmrs75
October 24th, 2009, 10:42 PM
4 computers here 3 linux and 1 mindows xp just because vinyl cutting there isnt any software out there to cut vinyl. people have gotten it to work but lacks allot of extra features

boulderbum
October 25th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Ditched windows in 99 with no knowledge of linux and just figured it out with redhat... Became a sysadmin for a Solaris, DEC, Linux network in 2000 and figured it out as I went.

Switched the home system to Ubuntu in 2005 I think... haven't looked back. Oh.. no real formal computer training either, just an ecologist who hates Windows.

As for games.... Nexiuz, Wesnoth, Tremulous, etc... it's there on Linux now. My dad (66) plays Torcs on Ubuntu with a driving console.

Enjoy!

Jean-Danjou
October 25th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Run Windows when starting PC, had a test of Linux few years ago and got scare ! lol.
Heard about Ubuntu few month ago, and gave it a try.
Result:
Main PC is now Ubuntu only :}
2nd PC still running Windows 7 / XP pro & Ubuntu ( I need Windows, as I am addicted to certain games, and Direct X11 & Linux don't go on very well ! LOL)
Third PC, a Wireless Desktop for testing, Running Fedora 12 for the time being ...
R.I.P Microsoft...

Merci !

andymorton
October 25th, 2009, 02:01 AM

I definitely have. I dipped my toes in to Ubuntu a couple of years ago and after a shaky start trying to work out what the hell was going on I'm now completely sold on it.

I sometimes miss not being able to play Pro Evolution Soccer and a few other games but it's a small price to pay for not having to use Windows and all the problems that come with it.

Camilia
October 25th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I completely switched. I had windows xp. I had extra firewall, virus protection and a spyware scanner. Still I got 3 Trojan viruses after copying pictures for avatars.

There is a forum called my bleeping computers where you can ask questions about windows and linux. At the the forum under windows you will constant problems with security. Under linux constant questions on how to do something. For linux is safer than windows.

sevenflo
October 25th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I've finally switched on my laptop! woohoo

I do keep windows around in the house though just incase I'm bored and feel like getting frustrated. That's why Vista was released right?

UMAIR37
October 25th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Its very difficult to switch over to ubuntu but I m trying hard as I m beginning to love it! :)

Vietred
October 25th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I've tried to get rid of Windows since kubuntu 7.10 was released but I'm always fail. People around me use Windows. They use cracked software and lots of tricks to protect their datas. It's very hard to make them change their mind.

ranch hand
October 25th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I've finally switched on my laptop! woohoo

I do keep windows around in the house though just incase I'm bored and feel like getting frustrated. That's why Vista was released right?
I wish that people would quit bashing Vista.

The fine folks at Redmond put that out and we bought a new box installed with it. If that had not happened, I would not be on a MS free box. That is what Vista was released for.

To kick the user in the pants with the question "are you dumb enough to leave this on your box".

That and, it appeared to me, to cause me to have a stroke. I got it off in time to avoid that but it was close.

kaboyish
October 25th, 2009, 07:27 PM
i finally switched to Linux(ubuntu) one month ago. that was the best thing I've ever done when it comes to software related decisions. i especially like it when guys ask me which OS i use, and i tell them ubuntu:cool:
this whole "life without viruses and trogens," really rocks!!

sugarsim
October 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I've been 100% Ubunutu since Edgy and yes, there were a few ups and downs in the early days (with the famous Broadcom wifi card and other bits of hardware) but EVERY time I've had a problem, I've come to these forums and found a solution.

Ubuntu (and Linux in general) allows me to to my computer in the way I want, not the way the vendor determines I should use it and the Community is second to none. The OS improves with every release as more of my hardware "just works" every time I upgrade.

And we don't have to be told how to have a launch party...

mmstahlman
October 25th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I use Ubuntu 9.04 (looking forward to 9.10) on two systems. My main desktop (with dual 19" wide monitors) and My work Laptop. My work involves supporting windows machines so I have windows loaded on a VirtualBox on my work laptop. I also use a desktop that I loaded windows on (I don't run Anti-Virus or updates on this becuase it is off when not running a game) strictly for games. When I am not playing a game, it is powered off and I am using Ubuntu.

My wife has a laptop with Windows XP becasue she watches ABC.com videos (which I can not get working on Ubuntu +wine +Firefox) and because of some other legacy apps that I do not feel like messing with as they currently work.

I would LOVE to switch completly, but I can say I will not be paying for MS products ever again. My work just approved Open Office as a replacement for Office because of licensing fees (we have over 30,000 users) What a HUGE change!!!

Peace
- Marc

mmstahlman
October 25th, 2009, 10:34 PM
If anyone likes Ubuntu, Try SuperOS. It is Ubuntu + extras that "just work"

Please note that it installs some "non-open-source+ software like Java, which I would have installed anyway.

ayllu
October 26th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Why i need a windows virtual machine?

Answer, in my country there is a program for do the taxes, that only work in windows xp; so for pay my taxes im obligated to use that software, and I need a windows xp in my virtual box; because, dosnt work whit wine.

irne.barnard
October 26th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Only reason for me to stick with Windows is AutoCAD and Revit. For AutoCAD there's a clone product (BricsCAD) which runs fine under WINE, just not as aextensive a program as AutoCAD is. But nothing comparing to Revit in the Linux world ... at least not that I can find. Someone's suggested using Blender instead of 3dStudio ... but I've yet to try ... not really my forté.

humphreybc
October 27th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Completely switched. I used to play games, but they no longer hold my interest long enough!

I do photography as a hobby, and used to use Lightroom and Photoshop CS3 regularly in Windows. I've adjusted to using Picasa 3 and GIMP in Ubuntu. And I use OpenOffice now instead of Office 2007, so much better now that OpenOffice supports .docx formats.

I have a Windows VirtualBox for things like Acrobat, Photoshop CS3 and Office 2007 if I need them, but I hardly start up VBox nowadays.

One thing that annoys me is when I want to do some simple video editing (maybe once every 6 months an occasion will pop up - sometimes I film drumming videos for youtube) there are no alternatives to the windows pro video editing programs. And VBox can't handle the processing power for video editing :(

Manyette
October 27th, 2009, 03:03 AM
A temely question. Three weeks ago I completely backed up Jaunty, reformatted the drive, and restored only the Jaunty backup. ******* is gone. I loaded Wine to run my favorite photo editor (Photofiltre) as I'm too dumb to figure out Gimp. That was the last program I needed, and Jaunty handles everything else I needed. Yes, it still has a few bugs, I can't play DVD's but it's worth it to be rid of *******.

yey
October 27th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I am completely Linux on my primary pc, however, on my secondary pc I have to use XP for Visual Basic 6. Gambas just does not work as well as visual basic.

mamamia88
October 27th, 2009, 03:34 AM
just deleted my linux partition at least until mint 8 just bought windows 7 and want to give it fair shake

Rambar
October 27th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Im planning on deleting my Windows partition. If Virtualbox works fine.

irne.barnard
October 27th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I wish that people would quit bashing Vista.

The fine folks at Redmond put that out and we bought a new box installed with it. If that had not happened, I would not be on a MS free box. That is what Vista was released for.

To kick the user in the pants with the question "are you dumb enough to leave this on your box".

That and, it appeared to me, to cause me to have a stroke. I got it off in time to avoid that but it was close.We've had endless problems with vista and some of our large format printers. Even though the drivers are now finally available, the NT based RIP server is not visible to the Vista PC's. The XP PC's see it fine, all Linux PC's see it fine as well. It's just M$'s new operating systems which don't work with their old OS's ... go figure! We've even tried the Windows 7 ... gives the same old probs with printing.

M$'s suggestion: Upgrade the server ... we don't want to since the workhorse large format Océ works wonderfully and a new upgrade does nothing better / faster while simply costing a whole bunch more!

Im planning on deleting my Windows partition. If Virtualbox works fine.The only reason we're still on M$ is due to our CAD program. I've used virtual box for this previously ... the only gripes I have:

Uses too much RAM, and with a 1GB laptop (don't ask) that's a real problem.
Graphics Acceleration for the 3D modeling in the CAD system is just too slow.

Other than that WinXP / Vista (32 and/or 64 bit) works quite well in VB on top of Ubuntu. The nice thing about VB is you don't need to reboot so you can use the other OS, and file sharing between the 2 OSs (as well as clipboard sharing) works fine as well.

uberdonkey5
October 27th, 2009, 10:53 AM

One thing that annoys me is when I want to do some simple video editing (maybe once every 6 months an occasion will pop up - sometimes I film drumming videos for youtube) there are no alternatives to the windows pro video editing programs. And VBox can't handle the processing power for video editing :(

I agree (I keep windows for this reason).. I noticed a distro called Ubuntu Studio
http://ubuntustudio.org/

which has some video editing software, of particular interest is

PiTiVi

It allows HD editing, but not proxy editing (with 3GB RAM and 2.00THz processor I can't edit in HD directly)

loudog23
October 28th, 2009, 12:10 AM

Try kdenlive. http://www.kdenlive.org/ (also in the repos.)
I ran it on ubuntu jaunty without problem. I had only 1 crash out of 20-25 use. And when i say use i means 6-8 hrs of strait editing.

It does need a little more transition and effect but for the 'more-than-rookie-but-not-proffesional' editor like me it dose the job just fine

Give it a try. It support any format, and you can save in many format as well.

EDIT: here a slide-show video i made with kdenlive. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9rp7u_troopers_people (the bad trasition at 0:44 is my fault :P )

kdenlive can handle HI-RES rendering too no problem. i just rendered this one 320x240 to reduce upload time.

Regards, lou

Showtime3000
October 28th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I'm new to using Linux. After spending some time with Ubuntu and Jolicloud, I'm only using windows for my business app. Just upgraded to 9.10