PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

andoni
July 8th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I've completely switched to Linux (Ubuntu, specifically) for 2 and a half years now. I don't play PC games, so I don't need Windows whatsoever.

Greetings from Spain :).

Diofan
July 8th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I'm seriously thinking of fully switching to Ubuntu as I rarely use XP anymore. Everything I do on the computer I can do in Ubuntu. If I Absolutely need to use a windows program (ie, some instances of firefox), I use Wine, so what's the point in keeping XP?

The only reason I haven't made the switch yet is the possibility I may need for stuff Linux won't run (Which I rarely come across).

combatwombat_nz
July 8th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for everything except my business accounting, which was on a KVM partition of XP in order to run the ancient Access-based Cashbook Complete. Now I've cut the ties to that, and am running PhreeBooks...wow, it's great to be free! :guitar:

I've even started developing with PhreeBooks (http://www.phreebooks.com) using PHP, Javascript, HTML, in order to extend it. The new Google OS will need a good accounting application like this!

mamamia88
July 9th, 2009, 12:00 AM
my computer only has linux mint on it.

ranch hand
July 9th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I'm seriously thinking of fully switching to Ubuntu as I rarely use XP anymore. Everything I do on the computer I can do in Ubuntu. If I Absolutely need to use a windows program (ie, some instances of firefox), I use Wine, so what's the point in keeping XP?

The only reason I haven't made the switch yet is the possibility I may need for stuff Linux won't run (Which I rarely come across).
What on earth do you need Wine to run Firefox for? It is the default browser on Ubuntu and works fine on any of the Ubuntu "family" and any other Linux distro that is not for boxs with 128kb ram that I have tried it on.

Diofan
July 9th, 2009, 05:14 AM
What on earth do you need Wine to run Firefox for? It is the default browser on Ubuntu and works fine on any of the Ubuntu "family" and any other Linux distro that is not for boxs with 128kb ram that I have tried it on.

Because the version 10 of Flash requires a half gig of Ram...something I don't have! (256 MB).

ranch hand
July 9th, 2009, 01:27 PM
And running with wine requires less ram? Interesting.

Green_Star
July 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I switched to Linux completely two years ago. I still have issues with my SATA harddrive, which is always freezes when I attempt to use. Otherthan that I am pretty happy with it.

Bubbatech
July 9th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I still like to game, only thing keeping windows on my HDD period

shashi859
July 9th, 2009, 03:30 PM
i started using UBUNTU from 1 year with dual boot winxp
still now i have many problems to be fixed like hanging and other things which i dont know too much since i am an electronics engineering student

I love freedom and open source philosophy
I try to switch completely to UBUNTU in few days

thanks for a lot of help from FORUM:p

ufolx
July 9th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Microsoft?....XP?...VISTA?

What are these? :confused:
OMG!!! Don't tell me that the Swine Flu h1n1 has ... OMG!!! :shock:

cph05a
July 9th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I switched completely about a year ago. I have to use vista on my work laptop, though :(

pizza-is-good
July 9th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I'm still stuck with Win, but just for Adobe CS. I'm sorry but I'm too used to photoshop's greatnes to swith to GIMP. That is the only thing holding me back.

My eyes started bleeding a little there. :D

I switched a while ago, and for gaming I always have my PS3 to turn to...

Go PS3! Shun everything that is Microsoft's!!

Diofan
July 9th, 2009, 06:48 PM
And running with wine requires less ram? Interesting.

Wine is a translation layer, not an emulator. Windows programs running in Wine act as native programs would, running without the performance or memory usage penalties of an emulator, with a similar look and feel to other applications on your desktop. Using Firefox (and ultimately the flash version for windows) in Wine enables me to use flash without bogging down my computer to near unusability.

raronson
July 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
If it's any indication to you of just how good Linux has become, then I could show you my black macbook using only Ubuntu with no OS X partition.

rolleander
July 9th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I use Linux almost exclusively... still a relative noob, so occasional, maybe once a month I'll run into something that doesn't quite work the way I want to in Linux, and then use Windows to for that, then try to get Linux to make it work, (last thing was my scanner, which I finally got to work...) that and I want to write software for Linux, and than port over to Win and Mac - need test boxes at the very least... but other than that... mostly linux, I think I had my compy on and running for two months straight w/o shutdown. Can't do that in Win... but as far as getting anything newer than XP - never - I refuse to own a copy of Win ever again...

TJP
July 9th, 2009, 09:14 PM
You might enjoy my story: I had been using Linux exclusively at work (a mid-size university where I'm surrounded by Windows users) with no problems, but couldn't convince my family to take the plunge. Then the trojans came, hundreds of them; McAffee couldn't help. So we backed up the hard drive and re-installed Windows, which by this time had "upgraded" to ME from whatever came before. So our re-install didn't include Office - that cost extra. At something like $200 my wife got mad and went to Office Depot for an alternative, which she bought for $40. When she got home she showed it to me: it was Open Office for Windows, naturally. After the obvious conversation that followed, we've been a Linux family ever since.

virusiidx
July 9th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I run Ubuntu most of the time for almost everything, well, except for games for obvious reasons. I have Ubuntu on a 1.5TB drive and Win 7 on a 500GB drive. I have Ubuntu also on my laptop, but not on the netbook, still have windows xp on that. I only ever switch to Windows for games really. I don't think I'll ever abandon windows completely, but my priority is still with Linux. I do however, try to run games in Ubuntu if it works. Some do, some don't, some require some tweaking and barely get by.

I just like having my options :)

ranch hand
July 10th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Wine is a translation layer, not an emulator. Windows programs running in Wine act as native programs would, running without the performance or memory usage penalties of an emulator, with a similar look and feel to other applications on your desktop. Using Firefox (and ultimately the flash version for windows) in Wine enables me to use flash without bogging down my computer to near unusability.
I am aware of the functions of wine, I just could not figure the benifit here (I do not use wine myself so am ignerant). Now that I know that you are using the MS Flash and looked at the difference I can see it. Neat.

mamamia88
July 10th, 2009, 12:56 AM
is it really true that firefox has less flash problems in wine? might have to give it a try

Diofan
July 10th, 2009, 01:39 AM
And knowing is half the battle my friend! After all, isn't that why we are all here?? ):P

I am aware of the functions of wine, I just could not figure the benifit here (I do not use wine myself so am ignerant). Now that I know that you are using the MS Flash and looked at the difference I can see it. Neat.

It's a give and take situation really Mamamia. Yes, Flash works MUCH better in Firefox/wine then the linux version of Flash (Which my only peeve is the memory usage....that's one of the reasons I Switched to Linux in the first place...easier on resources then windoze.), However, Font display on Firefox under Wine SUCKS! The native Firefox under Linux displays font so much better. In order to clean up the font, I also had to install winetricks and corefonts.

One funny thing about it, is with Wine, Linux handles these Windoze based programs BETTER then Windoze itself!!! Chalk another one up for Ubuntu!;)

is it really true that firefox has less flash problems in wine? might have to give it a try

orlcam2002
July 10th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Almost did. I'm more 90% linux and 10% windows xp. I had to add another machine to support my canon scanner that hasn't been supported yet. It's a new scanner and I have a ton of old photo's to scan. I didn't go the dual boot route as I didn't want to be constantly switching systems. In my household I have 2 ubuntu machines and two Windows. I use one ubuntu soley for the purpose of watching internet video off hulu, fox etc on my living room pc. It boots up way faster than windows. The other windows machine is my wife's and she does a lot of video editing. I've purchase a lot of software for that so I just can't switch over that machine......yet.

codyxx
July 10th, 2009, 05:34 AM
I am about 70% Linux (now that I made my GUI essentially as beautiful as OS X) and 30% OS X. I use OS X for Illustrator, Dreamweaver and a few other things. I use Linux more, because I find myself much more productive on it with Gnome Do, Compiz, and the ability to customize it to my liking.

In regards to which OS I prefer, well, this is rather difficult to say. I would say I enjoy them both equally. They both have their strong points. Though, I am not a Microsoft hater. I will say that Windows is still seems both graphically and functionally archaic.

Diofan
July 10th, 2009, 05:16 PM
That's one of the things I like about Ubuntu. You can customize it however you want!

mamamia88
July 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM
i've recently switched completely to linux. but i am thinking of buying a copy of windows 7 for dual boot when it comes out. just because a few pet peaves like Justin.tv crashing firefox and i can't get abc.com to work even in wine firefox.

Diofan
July 10th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I hear Windows 7 is just a stripped down Version of vista. (Neither of which I have any use for) My desktop is currently a dual boot Ubuntu/Windows XP with Ubuntu getting the most use. I'd like to completely do away with windows on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1105). But whenever I try to install Ubuntu on it, it hangs on the display.

Valde_91
July 11th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I'd two choices: 1. Changing my laptop because after the last hd format that I did with window xp it was already slowing down

2. Get rid of xp and using 100% ubuntu.

I picked the second one, and I'm still using my old laptop, that with ubuntu isn't slow at all!

Bye

Trapper
July 11th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I've been using linux exclusively for 7 or 8 years now. Started with Fedora. It "forced" me to learn some things to use it and learning was my intent. I didn't reward myself with Ubuntu until the release of 8.10. Now I am all Ubuntu and run 9.04 and 9.10 development. Windows has not been allowed on my boxes for a number of years and wine is banned too.

If it specifically needs Windows to get it to work, I don't need it and don't use it.

ranch hand
July 11th, 2009, 02:02 PM
i've been using linux exclusively for 7 or 8 years now. Started with fedora. It "forced" me to learn some things to use it and learning was my intent. I didn't reward myself with ubuntu until the release of 8.10. Now i am all ubuntu and run 9.04 and 9.10 development. Windows has not been allowed on my boxes for a number of years and wine is banned too.

If it specifically needs windows to get it to work, i don't need it and don't use it.
+1

bodyharvester
July 11th, 2009, 04:13 PM
ive been on ubuntu 9.04 or 2 days and i look down on Window$

i have the dell mini 9 netbook so its not like games are a major thing for me any ways:P

ill never go back to windows, the feeling of security in ubuntu and the knowledge that i have never had to do any configuring to get it to work... ahhh

Distorted Humor
July 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM
my laptop is completely Linux, desktop boots both Vista (for games mostly) and linux.

ssdt
July 11th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Me, I have completely switched to Ubuntu

lg8302
July 13th, 2009, 07:01 AM
my laptop is now completely linux but I regret it already because the mail / calender software looks so nice but there is no way to configure it and get it to work. (very strange set up and way too many options to choose from!) I regret already as email/calender I need and really would like it to work but that will be impossible unless somebody will publish at least settings for gmail. I cannot believe that it is so hard to configure even manually if Outlook 2007 can do everything automatically within seconds!

TeamJ
July 14th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

same here.

Seed++
July 14th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Switched to Arch on my laptop a while back, and have just switched to ubuntu on my desktop recently.

bhoth
July 14th, 2009, 10:56 PM
There are two Apps that I still need windows for, Quicken and Dreamweaver. I use virtualbox and boot into a windows xp environment to use those two apps.

lqlarry
July 15th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I haven't given up on Windows yet. This is very new for me and almost a different language. I now have everything on my old XP working right with Ubuntu. Wireless, video, e-mail, but I need a few more programs before and can give up on Vista. It's just gonna be a learning experience for sure.

But right now I'm having a ball!

triplesquarednine
July 15th, 2009, 06:28 AM
i do not and never would use windows(or have it installed on my computers,
i haven't for years - other than troubleshooting my friends and family and occasionally an employers computer...

so no complete switch from windows to linux for me.

i have a dell inspiron 6400 with 3 partitions

1. on the first partition, MacOSX leopard 10.5.6(retail). i love OSX even though to be honest i use Ubuntu 95% of the time. i use osx only for things ubuntu isn't good at...

examples: Processing(visual programming language rooted in java) does not play nice with ubuntu and can cause it to crash(staight back to login). or if i want to watch videos on Ninjavideo.net, or any websites that use DivX i use OSX.
and sometimes to master audio, because i own some nice plugins not available to use
in windows or in linux with wine...

2. my second partition is a small ubuntu setup just for creating music live, it is only a
15gig partition -more than enough when you are only using a handful of plugins and
you have stripped the OS to only have what is needed for that task.

3. is also Ubuntu (much bigger 75gig). for recording and everything else one might
use a computer for...

i could see myself switching only to linux in the future, but OSX tends to be the most advanced/stable envirnment when it counts and there are cetain things OSX just does
better than any other OS...

but, we will see what the future bruckz..! ;)

triplesquarednine
July 15th, 2009, 06:31 AM
There are two Apps that I still need windows for, Quicken and Dreamweaver. I use virtualbox and boot into a windows xp environment to use those two apps.

i think both of those apps work in linux using Crossover<commercial version of wine>

manoj123
July 15th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I am working on linux since 2005.

ade234uk
July 15th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I use Windows at work, but my home machine is Ubuntu. I can't really stand the way Windows works anymore, it irritates me to hell sometimes, especially when you are rushing to go home and you waiting for Windows to shut down. Not had this problem with Ubuntu yet, just Shut Down walk away.

I am so used to the way Ubuntu works, I find Windows a bit alien. The other day I typed top in to msdos command prompt accidently and thought why can't I see what processes are running on this machine lol.

alenis
July 15th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I have in my office four different printers:

hp laserjet 1200
canon i9950
brother mfc8840d
hp officejet k8700

None but the first can work properly with Linux. The second could probably work fine with Turboprint. Brother has a proprietary driver which is awfully slow printing graphics and has strange bugs with OpenOffice. Hp k8700 cannot print A3 nor borderless even with the updated hp driver.
Lack of hardware, especially printers, support is probably the main issue that prevents small businesses from moving completely to Linux.

gackt
July 15th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I use Ubuntu when i'm working, infact i'm the only person in my division who use UBuntu. Sometime difficulty came along but this forums has been my best friend, today i can almost say that there is nothing that can not be done in my ubuntu! but there is but, i use xp to play WOW, coz the frame rate is dropping incredibly sharp ini ubuntu (like 5 fps, in xp it would go up to 35) aside from that i use ubuntu!

UKBB
July 15th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I use Windows at work, but my home machine is Ubuntu. I can't really stand the way Windows works anymore, it irritates me to hell sometimes, especially when you are rushing to go home and you waiting for Windows to shut down. Not had this problem with Ubuntu yet, just Shut Down walk away.

I am so used to the way Ubuntu works, I find Windows a bit alien. The other day I typed top in to msdos command prompt accidently and thought why can't I see what processes are running on this machine lol.

pcwhizkid has a video on how to speed up Windows XP shutdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMDJblLQKTw

rohitfeb14
July 15th, 2009, 08:03 PM
i want voice chat gmail in linux

Lars Emil Gutt
July 16th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I just did it today... I tried out windows 7 and hated it. Then i decided to completely stop using windows :D

dukin
July 17th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I am ubuntu 9.04 on my mane box and have to work with windows on my laptop video problems
intel driver and some games

jasondean
July 18th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I completely switched, I've been using it for years. 2 Mythbuntu boxes, a hardy heron server box, and a Kubuntu Desktop which I also have a vista partition and a Fedora partition. Vista I log in every few months to make sure it works, but thats about it. As for games I have my 360

cooper77z
July 18th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I completely switched. I am getting a lot more out of my computers resources now.

BabakSM
July 18th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I've been using Ubuntu for maybe a month, but it's my main OS for all casual computing at this point. Only go into Vista for MS Office (when I need to use excel and powerpoint; for me, OpenOffice is sufficient for word processing once Times New Roman is installed) and to sync my ipod touch 2g, although I manage my music on Ubuntu now since I don't really compute on Vista for extended periods of time anymore. I think the last time I booted into it for more than an hour was two weeks ago.

glennnf
July 18th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I run Vista on my "family machine"for my tax software but on my box i run Suse,PC linux,& Mepis in VirtualBox & dual boot Jaunty & Crunchbang on a seperate drive,no i dont think i'll ever fully switch but gee i'm very close.
Glennnf.

L815
July 18th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I'm still on the verge. Although, I have been using Ubuntu exclusively these past couple of weeks. I'm not used to waiting in 6-month cycles for updated software, whereas in wdos I'm used to downloading it right away and installing.

Sometimes I feel like I'm missing something but it feels so less and less. I think Karmic will be my switch to keep me here for good; Jaunty's not doing a bad job with 2.6.31rc3 & xorg-edgers, though :]

pizza-is-good
July 18th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I still use Vista for gaming and Adobe CS

Shea7993
July 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Just got ubuntu 6months ago, been experimenting with it and asof a month ago ive completely gone over to ubuntu... However this weekend i reinstalled but with dualboot to xp (tried vista but OMF vista is so full of crap!!!) XP now is just for games, takes up 30Gb.... For a basic answer to why anyone should go over to linux, check http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

ofcourse theres much more to Linux than just these few things, but that alone should be more than enough to do windows bashing and convince others =]

Possum Films
July 24th, 2009, 12:51 PM
The only operating system I have installed on my computer right now is Ubuntu, so I think that I can say I have completely switched to Linux. I am thinking of installing Windows XP because I can't seem to get my capture card to work under Ubuntu (although that would be the only thing I would use Windows XP for). There are still two things that I dislike about Linux: there is still a lot of hardware that isn't fully supported yet (although I blame this on the hardware manufactures, not the people who develop Linux), and I find it really annoying how I keep getting messages on websites saying things like "Your operating system is not supported...see our help pages for Windows PCs and Macs here" when I know that the website would work just fine if only they would just let me in. I have never tried Vista and, given what I've heard about it, I don't think I want to.

manster
July 27th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Its hard to completely switch over. I'm keeping vista as a safety line just in case.
but ive been windows from for a few months now.

pvossen
July 27th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Hardly ever use Windows. I have used it in a virtual box
program for one online soccer club's video use. Why?
Because they use a Windows only protocol. Of which
I can't circumvent.

I use three debian base operating systems and one RPM

Ultimate Ubuntu
Linux Mint Main edition
Linux Mint Universal ( no proprietary codes on it )
Mandriva 2009 Spring edition ( The best of RPM versions
I've found ) Still some kinks on playing videos there at
times.

Everything is getting so user friendly, and there is not
much I can't make work or that Linux doesn't have an
Windows equivilant.

With the new Chrome Operating system coming soon developers
will be writing a lot of Linux programs soon. The developers
are already lining up for Google. Things should get really
nice. Plus, Windows is now doing some open source, as it
recognizes it can't be totally behind the eight ball.

Blessings to the whole Ubuntu and Linux community. Let
the revolution continue.

Patrick Vossen
Nebraska, USA
Penguillo ( The Linux Store and Repair Center )
pvossen@penguillo.com

PS. Been working with linux since 1989. Started with Red
Hat, then Mandrake and have seen such a wonderful Evolution.
The whole community should be proud of themselves.

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I want to get rid of xp but unfortunatelly ubuntu has very low quality software. am not even bothering to use wine since its useless. ubuntu does not even have third party apps (well it has very limited number) Ubuntu is hard to use compared to windows (to much command line work).

I think ubuntu needs lots of heavy development and attention from third party devs in order to have a modern and usable OS.

jflaherty
July 27th, 2009, 02:49 AM
try out gnucash for quicken....it's free

Adler
July 27th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Hi All,

When are we going to see large corporations / companies listed here?

Regards,

JJMacey

Phoenix, Arizona

DeadSuperHero
July 27th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I was on linux for at least two years, possibly three.

But, I've gotten a little bored with it. Been playing with PC-BSD some.

mark540
July 27th, 2009, 03:16 AM
i got quicken to work in wine.

Raffles10
July 27th, 2009, 03:34 AM
I tried to dual boot with vista for playing windows only games after having limited success with cedega & cxgames. So I set up a 20gb partiton and after installing vista and the witcher I didn't have enough space left to update either ! I couldn't beleive it...20gb for windows and one game. :(

It was enough to eradicate windows once and for all. I don't miss it, after spending some time trying some native linux games like nexuiz, wolfenstein, glest, wesnoth and the frictionware games I've decided I'm better off windows-free. :wink:

deftonesgurl_23
July 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM
XZactly!!!!

derelict888
July 27th, 2009, 06:21 PM
My work laptop is Ubuntu exclusive (a driver update broke Vista 64 on my other partition over 8 months ago and I haven't bothered fixing it)

At home I primarily use Windows 7 since my home desktop is mainly for gaming (and I didn't care for how it looked/felt running in wine)

My wife's laptop runs XP

My HTPC runs on Vista Ultimate (never got mythbuntu working 100%)

At home my file / web server is Ubuntu

So to answer the question I have not completely migrated.

credobyte
July 27th, 2009, 06:23 PM
100% Ubuntu :P

heyyy
July 27th, 2009, 07:13 PM
a few years ago my $indows cd broke and the support refused to give another one
so i switched to linux and since then im very happy with it

moody_mark
July 28th, 2009, 12:58 AM
I switched out to Ubuntu on my work PC about a year ago now. I tried booting off a external drive for a couple of weeks to give it a try, once I knew I could do most of my daily tasks like vpn, and remote desktop across to a windows box for some applications I needed I was home and dry. I put linux on other PCs in my house, we all use it at home, but we do keep a couple of MS Windows PCs kicking around as you never know when you need this or that.

I feel more comfortable with Linux now I used windows for many years, but for some reason I feel better about using Linux, cant put my finger on why really. Its just personal choice I think. I dont preach to people but always answer questions when people see my desktop and say "what you running there, is that Windows 7?" :D

mjstelly
July 28th, 2009, 02:34 AM
As long as the serious bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+bug/383786) with Adobe Flash exists, there is simply no way I can use Linux full-time.:(

miklcct
July 28th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I've completely on Ubuntu starting from 8.04

frecel
July 28th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I had to migrate to Linux twice. First time I migrated about two years ago when I got annoyed because for some reason I couldn't get Neverwiner Nights to work on my XP. I couldn't make it work on Linux either (I have a Diamond Edition which was released only in Poland and there was no native installer for it at a time) but i decided that I like it so I stayed with Linux. Later I had to double boot because I needed a program that required .NET 3.0 to run for my A+ certification. And now I'm back to Linux completely.

stockley
July 28th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I'm dual booting with OS X because I have school work on it. Not to mention other files which are frustrating and inconvenient to transfer. Also my music in iTunes is formatted nicely, where as the Ubuntu music player isn't as, shall we say, 'aesthetically pleasing'...

triplesquarednine
July 28th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I still use Vista for gaming and Adobe CS

not that linux will help you on the gaming front (although these days gaming consoles are better than computers for games anyway!), you do know depending on which Adobe CS
you own you can probably run it in ubuntu right??

i have CS4 works fine. CS2 apparently works well too, while CS3 has some issues...

shiva.n
July 28th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Ive moved lock stock and barrel to Ubuntu at home. If I cant get something to work in Linux, I dont plan on using it.

At work I still gotta go via Windoze to SSH into my UNIX boxes.

rannable
July 28th, 2009, 12:07 PM
just put your games on a virtualbox VM and all will be ok, i used to think that but Ubuntu seems to have a solution to every problem :)

xternal5
July 30th, 2009, 09:10 PM
i still use dual boot with xp because i still a beginner using ubuntu..but i like using ubuntu..hope someday i will be ready.:)

ankman
August 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM
Solely Linux since about 2000.

Well I like some 3D games and ever so often fire up Windows (which usually came with a new computer I bought) to frag a little.

But not doing any "work" on Windows.

In your case I'd do the same. Install Linux and see if you can do all with it you need. Things you can not (such as games) you still have your Windows.

FirstByté
August 2nd, 2009, 09:43 AM
Should I answer YES?

I bought my DELL Studio 14 pre-configured with Windoz Vista. Installed Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex on it. So I dual boot(ed)! 'Cause, I hook up with a lot of friends on Y! Messenger (Video+Voice messaging) and the ALWAYS ran to Office 2007 to add finishing touches to documents I make here in Ubuntu with OpenOffice. The third app I use the Windoz for is MetaTrader (Forex).

And the Fingerprint Reader works quite handy in Windoz for may things (Logging-on had never been more pleasurable--One stripe).

I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty; but not all ends were met (Fingerprint Aware)

Sun Microsystem's VirtualBox solves almost all my quest:

[I run WinXp Guest]
* MetaTrader
* Boson NetSim [for Switch Simulations]

A substitute for Y! Messenger:
* I use GYachE <which crashes quite often, but has kept me from rushing to windows in 1month plus>
[YES, I know Kopete Exists, and so does Skype and Ekiga, but I wish I can talk them to Using either ;) ]

Oops GYachE just crashed again. I guess I have to break my 1month+ streak and check Vista's Y! Message. Though it would mean me updating 100+1 packages, but Y! Messenger wouldn't crash, and I'll get to see my little niece.

UBUNTU ROCKS SOLID!:popcorn:

Blender: For 3D Animation
Pidgin: Extremely cool and neat, but LACK proprietary feat [understandable :P ]
GIMP: My Photoshop
Kirta: My Photo Editor {MS PhotoManager equiv and more*}
etc.

No regrets for UBUNTU aside Fingerprint reader and Remote Control that worked on my HP but fails on DELL :((#-o

Dobbie03
August 2nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
I am now 100% Linux on both my PC's. Ubuntu Jaunty on my main one and Xubuntu on my not so spec'd one.

Blu Fox
August 2nd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Made the switch fully. Went onboard mainly because my windows cd key was apparently invalid.

FirstByté
August 2nd, 2009, 07:54 PM
Made the switch fully. Went onboard mainly because my windows cd key was apparently invalid.

:popcorn:

Welcome home!

ratcheer
August 2nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
I want to make the complete switch, but I'm not there, yet.

Tim

Blu Fox
August 2nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
:popcorn:

Welcome home!

Thanks.
Still having issues with some things, though.
-still waiting for someone to reply to my problem thread on the general support forum-

rajcan
August 2nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
I've gone full linux install since the beginning of May. I originally had Vista dual booted with Kubuntu 8.10. But I wrecked my installation after upgrading to 9.04 and everything went downhill from there. I deleted my linux partition, reinstalled, messed up the partitions, tried to fix them, messed up even more, and finally just went with a full linux installation. I'm still wanting to upgrade to 9.04, but I'm a little nervous after my experiences with kubuntu. Other than that I've got absolutely no complaints. I've still got XP on my home computer so I can play all my games on it. :D

Ole Juul
August 2nd, 2009, 11:12 PM
@rajcan:
Good for you for sticking with it. You hit upon a point in Kbuntu distros which might well be a place where we lose many newcomers.

My partner recently updated from Kubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 and it didn't work well. Many people appear to be satisfied with 9.04 but I think it needs to be a fresh install. Too many fundamental things break in that particular upgrade that it is not something that a beginner should do. Unless, of course, they have the tenacity that you have shown. :)

Dullstar
August 2nd, 2009, 11:14 PM
Does it count if we only use Windows when we have to?

rajcan
August 2nd, 2009, 11:15 PM
Well, I upgraded Kubuntu from 8.04 to 8.10 without a single problem, so I went ahead with upgrading to 9.04. But I broke my installation by doing that. I've got regular Ubuntu 8.10 now, but I don't know if I want to risk upgrading it.

Blu Fox
August 2nd, 2009, 11:18 PM
Does it count if we only use Windows when we have to?

I hope so, wanna try to install win7 to get my gaming needs satisfied.

Dullstar
August 2nd, 2009, 11:24 PM
I swap things from Windows to WINE once they are working according to WineHQ!

roems
August 3rd, 2009, 12:02 AM
Unfortunately I still have a dual boot with the awful Windows Vista in my laptop.

There are some scientific programs that only work properly in Windows (MARK, Winbugs). Nevertheless, I spend 95 % of my time working in the more enjoyable ubuntu environment.

dragos240
August 3rd, 2009, 12:05 AM
I have gone a year without windows as of july 27 2009.

Leslea_kate
August 3rd, 2009, 01:29 AM
Hi, I just switched to Ubuntu & have been using it on my tower for about a bit over a week now. I'm astounded just how much nicer it is than windoze! I'm LOVING it!

Leslea

ArmenianLeader4
August 3rd, 2009, 01:33 AM
I switched, and it was the best decision I've ever made for my computer.

blueshogun
August 3rd, 2009, 01:39 AM
I've been working on it for 4 years but my hardware keeps getting in the way, one way or another. I just installed Ubuntu on my boyfriend's computer, and he hasn't loaded XP since. He's not a computer person, but he booted it up and found everything he needed at hand with no problems. He's definitely a convert.

I've got a 200 MHz pentium running Damn Small, and it's great, but my 2.5GHz pc's posessed or something, and Ubuntu (Hardy Heron) is the only linux distro that works with it. There's some problem with my video card, so I have to boot XP for youtube.

I'll build my next pc from scratch so I'll 86 the butterfly completely then.

Saprissa
August 3rd, 2009, 03:35 AM
99.94% Windows Free!

Only one Windows application I still use to back up my cell phone and that´s barely important to my. I keep a copy of my contacts on the SIM card.

I spend much less time managing my system now and I will never go back.

I tried to boot into Vista today and got nothing but headaches.

jocampo
August 3rd, 2009, 06:01 AM
I am forced to use it at work (Windows) but at home I use Ubuntu; 6 months so far and my wife loves it!

Blu Fox
August 3rd, 2009, 06:38 AM
Aw crap, almost forgot.
My school issues us laptops with vista on it with restrictions (no vlc, games, etc). Long story short, if I change it or mess it up, it's my *** on the line. ._.

Robin Borninkhof
August 3rd, 2009, 09:19 AM
Yesterday (after 2 months testing), I totally got rid of Windows XP and using Ubuntu 9.04 as my main and only OS. :D

reese.mitchell
August 4th, 2009, 03:54 PM
The only think stopping me is my ipod touch 3.0 firmware you can not jailbreak it and use ubuntu with it. So I have to use virtualbox in Linux to acess windows inorder to use my ipod. That is the only thing stopping me.

perlluver
August 4th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I have been using Linux since October 2007, occasionally I use Wine for flash, because some flash items just do not work in flash for Linux.

barnex
August 4th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Threw out my macOSX dual boot over a year ago. Only linux!

arcdrag
August 4th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I still haven't found a good replacement for Onenote, and my school has occasional Visual Basic programs. Once I graduate though, I won't have much of a need for either program so I should be completely free then.

eekfonky
August 5th, 2009, 04:03 AM
About 2 years ago I was searching the internet and came across the ubuntu website, i downloaded the 7.04 live CD and tried it, it looked good but as a linux virgin I was more than a little scared! I put it in a drawer and there it stayed for 2 weeks.
Happily emailing my customers for a small wine business I'm involved with my Windows XP crashed - horrible 'blue screen death' in fact! Have no choice as I had a deadline I installed ubuntu 7.04 got my emails out and tried to find a copy of XP. until I found one I had a couple of weeks and being curious and loving to play with new toys I began to delve into ubuntu. Using the helpful forums when I got stuck and after only a couple of serious mistakes on my part..oops, I got the hang of it.
My XP copy arrived and as I was about to install it I stopped and thought...hang on, my computer has never run so quickly, efficiently and virus free EVER!! Not only that I love the FOSS way of thinking, after all computers, communication, the internet and the sharing of ideas, knowledge and news means that the whole world can come together with more in mind than greed and making money.

I have currently converted 15 others to ubuntu based on the fact it just works! I have no love or hatred for Micro$oft, but if you design a product and I pay god money for it, at least make the damn thing work!!

Long live FOSS and Ubuntu - I've never looked back and will not use Windows anymore if I can avoid it!

Messyhair42
August 5th, 2009, 05:16 AM
I had been windows free for 8 months and i decided to install Windows 7, mostly to get a look at it, but it offers the benefits of Photoshop and iTunes

Beatbreaker
August 5th, 2009, 07:00 AM
I've been using Ubuntu on and off for years now, i'd have a go at a release for a few months and would always come into something that was a show stopper. Jaunty seems to be the best release out at the moment though it seems to be turning into more of a black box - i had real problems setting up a static IP address on the computer side and had to do it from the router end, this issue only came up in Jaunty. Skype used to work fine now it doesn't work well between Pulse audio because the boost input has been taken away, yet again in Jaunty.

I built a server using Arch Linux and it's solid as a rock, i never have to restart it. It's a MythTV backend and server for XBMC. Doing that actually helped me understand Linux much more.

I'm still not 100% linux or Ubuntu though. I'll be 100% Ubuntu for my desktop when Songbird offers a 100% replacement for iTunes because i've got an iPhone. I've tried Banshee, Amarok, blah, blah but nothing supports the iPhone as well as iTunes at the moment.

magmon
August 5th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I had been windows free for 8 months and i decided to install Windows 7, mostly to get a look at it, but it offers the benefits of Photoshop and iTunes

Windows is like crack. You try it a little, and get hooked. (Im writing this from vista xD).

ubudog
August 5th, 2009, 07:11 AM
I have. Windows was just to slow and too many "Not responding" windows. I'm glad I switched. :)

Messyhair42
August 5th, 2009, 07:14 AM
actually I'd say Linux is more like crack. I tried Ubuntu, now i've got Fedora, OpenSuse and Knoppix as my go-to's. and i'd like to learn programming and contribute.
i can live without iTunes, songbird can do iPod stuff. but i vastly prefer PS to GIMP mostly because i've been using it for so long and GIMP just doesn't compare.
Windows is not my crack

magmon
August 5th, 2009, 07:16 AM
actually I'd say Linux is more like crack. I tried Ubuntu, now i've got Fedora, OpenSuse and Knoppix as my go-to's. and i'd like to learn programming and contribute.
i can live without iTunes, songbird can do iPod stuff. but i vastly prefer PS to GIMP mostly because i've been using it for so long and GIMP just doesn't compare.
Windows is not my crack

Oh I totally agree that linux is like crack aswell. I currently have 2 and a half computers running linux, but the need for some windows applications has kept me tied to it. Most mmorpgs are beginning to bore me though, so maybe Ill be totally linux within the next few months.

Messyhair42
August 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Oh I totally agree that linux is like crack aswell. I currently have 2 and a half computers running linux, but the need for some windows applications has kept me tied to it. Most mmorpgs are beginning to bore me though, so maybe Ill be totally linux within the next few months.

and i've been turned onto warcraft III, maybe now's the time

billdotson
August 5th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Really, there are programs in Windows that I just "need". I haven't figured out how to get thunderbird in Linux to do hotmail retrieval or sending (works in XP with the webmail addon).

I have about 25 games installed on Windows. I kind of don't want to throw those out and replace them with only iD software titles and free games like Wesnoth (very enjoyable game by the way) or neverball/neverputt.

Also, I boot into it to use GlovePIE to play with my Nintendo Wii controllers. Yes, I know there is CWiid on Linux distributions but they aren't the same. CWiid doesn't have its own scripting language but it does have plugins. GlovePIE (I don't think) doesn't have plugins as everything is built into the program but does have a scripting language. They both are fun to use. Really though, one of the main uses of the nintendo controller is to play games in a different way.

Also, I haven't figured out to to accept key presses to initiate certain actions in pre3.0 python. There is a nice pair of modules in Windows that makes it easy to accept keyboard presses. I hear it is much more difficult without those modules.

There are some other things like media servers,etc. but I think that is more I just haven't figured out how to set them up on Ubuntu.

Quake
August 5th, 2009, 09:34 AM
OMG, my thread is still around?!?!! :p

Well, updating my situation: I've switched to Linux for my everyday usage (Browsing, coding, word processing...) but left Windows XP only for gaming.

zer010
August 6th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I have been running Ubuntu exclusively for about three months now. I used to run XP, but never owned it. As my computer is not a supercomputer or even current, I am not too worried about gaming, thats what home consoles are for.:) I have been using Ubuntu "Jaunty", and have been pleased with it's exceptional performance. I've never really used Linux before, and it has taken some getting used to, but that never stopped me learning new Win versions; ie: win 3.5 to XP. Vista was crap and I never tried! Although if I get a new computer, I'd like to see if Win 7 is as good as XP was, but I'll probably ditch it for the newest Ubuntu! LINUX IS TRULY "POWER TO THE PEOPLE"!!! :D

Stevie78
August 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Quake Ive done exactly the same as you. :popcorn: No dual boot but Ive got a separate computer with XP just for gaming only (no internet connection either - dont need it for the games Im playing).

The are some good Linux-native games but there are some Win games I cant do without.

And for everything else theres Ubuntu :D

Dr. Moreau
August 6th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I got a netbook with Linux a couple of weeks ago and recycled my home Can'tWin desktop the following weekend. I was startled by how easy it was to switch. Eeebuntu has almost everything I need for personal stuff, and what it doesn't have I can easily apt-get.

I started dual-booting Linux at work the next week. I've got a bit of a learning curve ahead of me before I can junk all the Windows software my boss paid for, but I'll get there.

cholland32
August 7th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Been using linux only for about a year and have found no reason to use windows. Started with suse but use ubuntu only now.

CJ

sandwormblues
August 7th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I haven't used Windows or OS X for anything important in 6 years (except in one case i needed a windows 2003 server on a vm to run .net software).

This isn't to say I've stuck with Ubuntu this whole time. There are a lot of advantages to Slackware, for example you are very unlikely to lose hardware functionality from installing updates, and since there are no repositories or dependency databases you can install whatever version of whatever software that you want.

There are clear advantages to Ubuntu too, which is why i'm using it now. For example, I have to spend a lot less time looking for, building, and configuring software.

T.R.
August 7th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I switched my Thinkpad to only Ubuntu about half a year ago now. I mainly use it for web, listening to music, and GIMP (which I didn't even have before) so I lost almost no functionality in the switch (at least once I fixed the horrible flash problems Ubuntu seems to have).

I still haven't worked out all the bugs in my setup, so every once in a while a new problem will show up (currently Google Earth is FUBAR (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1233732)), but I usually get those fixed pretty quickly so I'm happy.

KinaU
August 8th, 2009, 12:23 AM

But you can always use Wine to download Windows games! :D

loudog23
August 8th, 2009, 02:04 AM
99.9% Microsoft free, the 0.01% left are the bytes MSN send to pidgin ;P

At one point i got tired of paying to get security issues, pop-up and limited range of action. So i turned around and was looking for an alternative. Someone suggested me to look into xubuntu so i did.

So about a year ago i installed xubuntu. I gave him a little 20gig just to explore the possibilities. About 2 month later, i switched windows on the little 20 gig, mainly for gaming. Wine is great and stuff but you often need to tweak it, then tweak your gaming voice system, then tweak your 3d to finall find a way to patch the game.

Now here i am 1 year later, running 100% opensource/freeware. My computer is paid so the only fee i have is my internet connection. Lucky me i don't have stream limit and my ISP don't block anyports.

So now i can say i an incredibly stable system running 2 webserver, Music, Web Browsing, Video Editing and Picture Editing all at once on a single 3-year old PC.
Also have access to a bunch of ressource, application and support (thank to this forum ;) )

So my answer is: I did, completely switched to linux. (except maybe for that little MSN logo under my 'Beans' count)

Dullstar
August 8th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Get me a dual booting MacBook, please (OS X and Ubuntu)!

But in the mean time, how can I swap the OS list so Ubuntu is the default instead of Windows XP?

triplesquarednine
August 8th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Windows is like crack. You try it a little, and get hooked. (Im writing this from vista xD).

windows is not like crack. i would not compare it to a drug....

there is nothing addictive about using a crappy OS. i have used vista and 7, and do not use either. Mac's are a little addictive, with some of the best software on their platform.
linux can be addictive learning all the in's and out's of it, while tuning yuor system...

windows is stoic and boring - not exactly what someone would compare
to an addictive substance...

triplesquarednine
August 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Get me a dual booting MacBook, please (OS X and Ubuntu)!

But in the mean time, how can I swap the OS list so Ubuntu is the default instead of Windows XP?

open a terminal and type:

----> sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

1st ... backup the file - as in save it with another name ie: menu.lstBACKUP

2nd ... scroll down the page and you should see something like this:

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-14-generic
uuid ceff86f9-be1e-4c17-bab0-6eff72d41337
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-14-generic root=UUID=ceff86f9-be1e-4c17-bab0-6eff72d41337 ro quiet splash ipv6.disable=1
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-14-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-14-generic (recovery mode)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-14-generic root=UUID=ceff86f9-be1e-4c17-bab0-6eff72d41337 ro single ipv6.disable=1
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-14-generic

title Ubuntu 9.04, memtest86+
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# divider for other my mac ****
#
title ____MacOSX 10.5.6____
root

#osx leopard!!!

title MacOSX Leopard - DellOSX
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader --force +1

you'll notice i do not use windows, however i do use OSX.... if i wanted OSX to be the first on the list of OS's i would copy it and move it above the the ubuntu entries...
....in your case you would move ubuntu ahead of windows...

3rd ... save as menu.lst (to replace the existing one in the /boot/grub/ folder...

reboot...

4th .. if you run into any problems(like you mess up your grub) replace the bad one with your backup and try it again
making sure it is right...

assuming you are using a GRUB???

although this may not be the case if you installed windows after,
in which case i can't remember off hand how to switch it around...

PS: depending on your computer and hardware you could run OSX without
the macbook...as you can see my grub says "DellOSX not MacOSX".

hope that helps...

gfe
August 9th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I'm stuck with Windows at work (but at least they haven't switched to Vista). At home, I've been totally Linux since about October for everything except watching streaming movies on Netflix. And computing is so much easier than it used to be. I definitely don't miss the hassles of Windows.

I use Ubuntu on my main computer and Puppy Linux on decade-old laptop.

j.bell730
August 9th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I did. I don't use any Microsoft products -- well, except, I will admit, I can't get myself away from this Microsoft mouse -- I've been using it too long. So, actually, I don't use any Microsoft software, but only one piece of Microsoft hardware.

Hiankun
August 9th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I'm stuck with Windows at work (but at least they haven't switched to Vista).
My situation is similar with yours. The website of my company has some ``features'' for ONLY IE. Most documents of my company are composed in MS Office.

Yes, I have ies4linux but there are still some problems. And of course I have OOo but files in doc or ppt often have some styles that OOo cannot handle. I am not complaining about Linux, but I am complaining about the non-open file formats.

Without these restrictions, I don't need Windows.

OldGnome
August 9th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I just made the switch at home. Since my employer is a Microsoft Business Partner, it is not possible to get away from Windows at work.

The only reason my wife's laptop still has Windows XP on it is that we run Quicken. I haven't tried to get that to run in Wine, but she manages the books anyway, so I can leave that up to her.

Illender
August 9th, 2009, 11:01 PM
full length rambling version here:
http://slashdot.org/~Illender/journal/233793

I ran windows for years, since I switched from dos, back in the day.
XP crashed hard and my disk was thrashed, so no easy re-install.
Happened to have an Ubuntu desktop disk I had ordered a few months back and hadn't time to use.
Got Ubuntu up and running in no time at all, needed no device driver disks to run my modem, etc., and had no problems at all. Best thing was, most of the free games available were old school games (like me) and the rest of the time I spend on my favorite browser game, s9.travian.com.
Although I must admit I'm muddling my way through Wine trying to install Dangerous Waters. I miss annoying my wife with the sound of incoming sonar pings.
Full convert, no windows files at all on my machine. Setting up a P3 desktop to run Edubuntu, jut for my daughter to use(she's cutting into my travian time:lolflag:)

underdog512
August 9th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I have using Ubuntu exclusivly since about 2006. There is nothing really that I can't do with Ubuntu that I could with windows. I even sync my Blackberry wirelessly through Google Sync.

As far as gaming, thats what my Playstation 3 is for. I did install the Sims 3 under Cedega for my wife and it works well.

WaveMyBlackFlag
August 10th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Switched a while ago. Cool moment was when my new laptop ordered came preloaded with vista. booted in once to make sure everything worked and began to overwrite everything with a jaunty 64-bit install. everything works great after messing around with it for a while, faster than i ever expected.

stozi
August 10th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I tried Mandrake on my employer-provided computer in 2004 but things didn't work out. I briefly had a Fujitsu laptop on xp, sold that, later was given a toshiba laptop which I think I couldn't boot linux on. I doubled Mint on the little lady's Asus around 2007, and later in that year built my pico-itx with an SSD and canibalized laptop screen from the toshiba. Despite the hardware all being a bit weird, it has worked fine with Xubuntu ever since. My brokeness has always dictated what I use. The free as in payment aspect of Linux is what attracts me most, though I do prefer using it. Since I have a 4gb hard drive I'd probably be using Puppy by now if I had an optical.

Cybrarian
August 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM

Since 2006 I have abandoned Windows, using only Ubuntu in my machine. Very good games like Cabal and Angels Online don't run on Linux natively or with hacks, but I know it's a matter of time until game software houses begins to investing on Linux.

MrJoeyUK
August 11th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I made the switch over permanent yesterday.. it pained me to do it, but I'm glad I did. I'm quickly realising alot of my favourite windows programs which I knew I'd miss have equally good if not better linux equivilants.. although I'm still having issues with ubuntu, mainly that my mic isn't working and webcam only works with specific people on aMSN.

sukigenseki
August 11th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I made the switch, and I don't the extremely small amount of games I played on windows since consoles are the only things that harbor decent games beyond free korean mmos. I can't say I miss waiting a half an hour for the computer to reboot after being forced to do crappy ms updates that mess up more than they seem to fix, and not to mention deleting an empty folder from the recycle bin on vista takes 15 minutes god knows why. My laptop is a high end from 2 years ago it is not that old. Not to mention hardware that didn't work straight from dell works no problem on ubuntu, and the hp printer that I have that required startup software for windows that added an extra 10 minute load time works fantastically on ubuntu with no extra load times.

fixerdave
August 11th, 2009, 01:47 AM
My philosophy is now: If you want me to use Windows, PAY ME. As far as I'm concerned, Mr. Bill offers excellent job security (I'm a paid Windows tech) but I'm not doing it for free anymore. That crud isn't even worth stealing, as far as I'm concerned.

Well... you know, my home station still dual-boots so I can run a racing simulator that I have a weakness for. And, then there's those mapping apps that I use with my GPS... But, I keep chipping away at that legacy crud - and Windows apps are pretty well all legacy crud, even the new stuff. One by one, the Windows apps are getting replaced.

And, I'm still tearing out what little hair I have left solving those stupid little Linux issues that I KNOW how to do in Windows but can't figure out in Linux, yet. At least solving Linux problems is still joyful whereas solving Windows problems is just work, not fun anymore at all. Learning about Windows now feels like a complete waste of time. I was offered a Windows training course a while back, Deploying Office 2008 or something... I told them taking a course in Windows is like a battered woman taking a course in applying makeup -- it's an abusive relationship, get out already! They just stared at me like I was insane. Maybe I am, or maybe I can just see the future. I am getting there with Linux - one issue at a time.

I'm way, way past the point of turning back, but "completely" is, well, farther off than I'd like.

Anyway, one more message to the 500 page thread :)

David...

mamamia88
August 11th, 2009, 02:47 AM
for now i only have a laptop running mint 7 but when i can afford to build a gaming pc i will put up with windows

xFlowx
August 11th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I completely switched! But that's because I can't use windows, see...it crashed and I lost everything, then I tried to fix it with a bootleg version of windows XP, which didn't run my Vista drivers.

So a friend told me about Ubuntu, and I loaded it. I have a partition with the non-working windows.

I'd say keep Windows around, it can prove to be useful. I know there are times I wish I could use windows, for things that Ubuntu can't do...and I sorta miss Yahoo messenger, but Pidgin works perfectly.

Dark Aspect
August 11th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I probably use Linux 95% of the time, but I still use Windows XP via VirtualBox and stuff.

sim_mmm
August 11th, 2009, 03:31 AM
I use Ubuntu as my primary OS.

During the last years I alternated between MacOs and different Linux distribution.

ngfrazier
August 11th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Switched my law office in May 2009 to Ubuntu 9.04. Linux is a DREAM! I wish more lawyers would switch--give up the M$ tax!

Unfortunately, I still have a Windows computer at home for Netflix....

sigurnjak
August 11th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Late last week i have finished building a new pc . Ubuntu went in first and i was planing running Vista in VBOX when needed . Well , what i didn't know that Vista DVD that was given to me was already installed somewhere else ,although former owner was claiming otherwise . Needless to say that plan went out the window . Then i tried IE4LINUX6 and that went in like a charm .
Now i do not think i will even bother with MS at all . IE6 is for those rare websites that do not like LINUX anyway .
My printer Brother HL2140 works . Canon scanner N650 works . My dorky little webcam is fine and i even got HIDPOINT going for my fancy Logitech MX 3200 set . Compiz rocks with NVIDIA 7600 512mb and to be honest , make Vista look like win 95.
I can honestly say i have no need for MS anymore .

IT IS FINNISHED ! After 2 years transfer is complete .:guitar:

sideaway
August 11th, 2009, 09:55 AM
The only game I play is Counter-Strike: Source. That is the one an only thing I have windows for. All 3 of the computers I use have Linux on them and are their primary OS's. Only my gaming machine has windows installed. In fact it has three third party programs installed, Steam (and CSS), ATi CCC and winamp. I wish I could get CSS working properly in Linux.

I only own ATi cards, and I love them all, I just wish they supported linux a little more...

vijaym
August 11th, 2009, 11:53 AM
using linux on my machines - G3 ibook; home made desktop and hp pavilion laptop

no windows at all

Katalog
August 11th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I am now, completely 100% Windows free. I was finally able to track down a Linux driver for my Canon MP150 on the Canon Asia website and successfully convert it from rpm to an installable deb with Alien. I no longer have any dependence on any other OS for anything I do now. :)

Cope57
August 11th, 2009, 10:16 PM
<snip> Most documents of my company are composed in MS Office.

<snip> And of course I have OOo but files in doc or ppt often have some styles that OOo cannot handle. <snip>

Open Office does handle them correctly, but it is not Open Offices fault for showing the improper format of Microsoft Office.

The topic at hand, I have switched to 64bit Linux in 2003. I have not needed Windows on my PC for anything. I do however constantly fix other peoples Windows PC's, which keeps me using it.

QoSsi
August 11th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I was using windows 7 rc when I just started trying out ubuntu on the side...windows 7 runs great on my lappy but I just made the switch today...I am for ubuntu all the way now.

The Toxic Mite
August 11th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I installed Ubuntu over Windows on my laptop about 4 months ago, but it's borked, and I can't get my wireless to connect on Ubuntu so I am using Windows XP on it just now.

:(

running_rabbit07
August 12th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Probably will not make the full on change until I can watch flv and other formats without having to download new codecs for each video. And until I learn to write code and make wine work with the simple programs that come with my college texts.

I also get the feeling that after Karmic is released nvidia is going to start having major issues again, being that I could not get Debian Lenny to work on my machine after multiple attempts.

radiofly
August 12th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I'm way new at Linux, 2 months now. I installed it on my destop machine and got all the Dvd, video stream up and works great for what I want it to do. Now as we speak I have installed it on my laptop and plan to use virtual box to intall vista within that but now I'm banging my head because I cannot find a way to get root access to creat a account for Virtual Box. Root is blanked out in user accounts and I dont know what to do. So this linux stuff can be frustrating to do something that seems so simple. Anyways I have to keep some windows around just so the girlfriend can use her stuff the way she is used to using it.

running_rabbit07
August 12th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I'm way new at Linux, 2 months now. I installed it on my destop machine and got all the Dvd, video stream up and works great for what I want it to do. Now as we speak I have installed it on my laptop and plan to use virtual box to intall vista within that but now I'm banging my head because I cannot find a way to get root access to creat a account for Virtual Box. Root is blanked out in user accounts and I dont know what to do. So this linux stuff can be frustrating to do something that seems so simple. Anyways I have to keep some windows around just so the girlfriend can use her stuff the way she is used to using it.

That is an easy fix. In the Users and Groups window, click unlock, enter your regular password and then you can make a new password for root if you like and you can add new users.

Fdrock
August 14th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Converted an old pc to Ubuntu, it works great. Now I want to get rid of Vista on my main laptop but my misses is too used to it. Been meaning to buy a netbook just for Ubuntu. :P

running_rabbit07
August 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Last night backed everything up and installed Ubuntu JJ over MS, Ubunu, and Fedora. This morning, I installed Karmic Alpha 4 and I am loving it.

buckrodgers
August 14th, 2009, 11:24 PM
At home I'm fully under linux :)

No more Windows !!!

I'm globally happy except for the games but I have a Wii for that.

Cheers

mamamia88
August 14th, 2009, 11:28 PM

No more Windows !!!

Cheers

yes i am glad i have a ps3, 360, and wii makes it so much easier to live without windows

Spencer Caplan
August 14th, 2009, 11:30 PM

No more Windows !!!

Cheers
That is awesome. I just made the switch from XP to Ubuntu. I have no regrets, except maybe my iPod.

john stiles
August 14th, 2009, 11:45 PM
My main box has been windows free for 2+ years.

The only thing I thought I'd miss is a linux version of Quicken. I tried many things to compensate for this from win4lin to codeweavers. .

I believe that Gnucash will import quicken files.

I'm now entirely Ubuntu save for various windows flavours I keep in my virtual machine museum to support family member queries.

Mosaab
August 15th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I completely switched to linux.. about 5 to 6 months ago...
I had a dual boot then but then I formated windows partition to ext3 file system...

but recently I have been watching my friends playing world of war craft which i started to like .. and that why I am looking for a way to install windows in a USB stick or External HDD ...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1239807

I still dont want windows to be installed on my laptop even with dual boot.

sailthesea
August 15th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I'm about to do it now Just tidying a few loose ends then it's Adios Windows:)

dozoclown
August 15th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I still have to use windows sometimes for some websites that only can use internet explorer or when I want to edit +output from my digital camcorder. I can't get my firewire to work with Ubuntu.

hub_cap
August 15th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Installed Ubuntu 9.04 on a new Vista HP desktop after reformating the HD. Good bye Vista
:)

longtom
August 15th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I completely switched to linux.. about 5 to 6 months ago...
I had a dual boot then but then I formated windows partition to ext3 file system...

but recently I have been watching my friends playing world of war craft which i started to like .. and that why I am looking for a way to install windows in a USB stick or External HDD ...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1239807

I still dont want windows to be installed on my laptop even with dual boot.

I am not too sure if it is clever to play a video hungry game over USB (be it stick or external HD). The transfer time will kill the game flow and the fun with it.

But have a look at this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

Maybe you'll get it going.

Good luck!

HappinessNow
August 15th, 2009, 07:43 AM

If you want to play games buy a video game console (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console), like Xbox 360 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360), PlayStation 3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3), or the Wii (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii).http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7786605&postcount=45

vedek
August 15th, 2009, 06:03 PM
i left windows behind on friday, do i feel worried that i did? The answer is a resound not a chance. true if you are looking to play games then this might not be the best os, and it does have its problems here but ubuntu and linux is evolving at a massive rate, and that is because of us, ubuntu is a reflection of us, and that is why windows is going down the creek with no paddle and a hole in the boat. they don't change much because they think they don't need to and with a massive amount of people still using windows that's fine but in the end people will see the linux light and join. we are the linux revolution stand and be counted.

Amen.

jheaton5
August 15th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I haven't used windows for a year now (except on my work computer where it is mandated by IT) I did keep an install of windows on one computer until a few months ago It crashed while giving it its weekly update and virus scan. I immediately installed Debian on it and wiped windows. Now I have no version of windows at home. I am not worried. I feel free.

I don't play games, except for Free Cell. I have two 17" laptops that I use as production machines. And I have a 9" netbook that I carry to work and use on the sly in the office. I also use the netbook when I travel for work.

No problems.

VipX1
August 15th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I have been using Linux in general for a year or so and Ubuntu since June '09. The usability of Ubuntu compared to PC Linux OS is unbelievable but then PC Linux OS isn't designed for beginers, I guess. Since catching onto Ubuntu I've got one of my friends in work using it. His old desktop from home, the Kids desktop got a virus and he brought it in to me. It had XP, a 1.86GHz CPU and 2x512MB PC2-3200 RAM. When it went back to his house it had Ubuntu 8.04LTS Hardy on it. I set up instant messaging and told him to type any questions and I'd try sort him out. He kept that desktop for himself and the kids got his XP laptop, a big success story. He's putting Ubuntu on the laptop for the kids this weekend.
A friend of mine that lives a few doors up from me had tried Debian before but didn't really take to it. He used Macs and the only reason for that is to get away from XP because he works with XP. He's got Ubuntu on his laptop now as the only OS. That will be another big success.
I'm putting Ubuntu on my brothers XP laptop now as a dual boot setup. A Polish guy that works with us is bringing in his laptop to work, I'll dual boot that too. My Uncle showed some intrest too and he has three kids, teenagers.
All this is just from me talking about my experience with Ubuntu. Viva Ubuntu.. :P

benje07
August 16th, 2009, 01:58 AM
after ten years as a user of windows i feel so stupid as i switched to ubuntu today and im starting to get the hang o it no noubt theres plenty to learn just wish id done it sooner instead of shelling out money for windows

Kezz Kezz
August 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I've still got a laptop running vista (vista = ](*,)) but I've switched my pc to ubuntu only. I'm a complete newbie to linux, I'd never even seen anyone use it, so it's frustrating when I hit something I don't know, but I'm working through it.
I had to install ubuntu because my version of xp was dying and I have no discs and no cash so it's ubuntu or the scrapheap.

super kim
August 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM
i started with jaunty and vista with a dual boot.
then i took vista off (wish i could get my money back!!!!!!!) and just ran jaunty.

recently i have re-installed with hardy (old graphics cards don't get support in jaunty :confused:)

i wouldn't say everything works yet but with linux you get the feeling that it can/will work with a little tweaking, whereas windows give you no sense of hope!

and the only thing windows is ever any good for is playing games but i have a GAMES CONSOLE makes sense really thats what it was designed to do. i know that any game i buy will work and i don't need a new graphics card every month just to play the new releases, besides i think it is good to draw a clear line... PC for work - Games console for playing.

s.vladimir
August 18th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I am going to make the switch, though I may have trouble running Wolfenstein. [i'm an obsessive] xD.

I run a mac, thankfully I don't use windows that much. The only game I play is Wolfenstein... all day... *shifty*

I am still thinking which distro of ubuntu/linux to run.
any ideas???:confused:

Thanx, Vladimir. :P

---
Firefox User
Supporter of socialism.
Blender, Gimp user

Eskobar
August 18th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Just switched to Ubuntu 9.04, 3 days ago. Been a Windows user since 98... and my preferred OS in the past was XP. I am absolutely in love with Ubuntu... secure and stable. I also love how you can take a seemingly old unit and Ubuntu runs on it like its new... I refused to leave Windows XP for the longest, and one day I got a virus...which isn't a big problem since I sample different OS's regularly. Just got tired of all the programs hoggin resources and all the background processes. I may try Windows 7 when they work the kinks out.... but for now i'm an Ubuntu man. Question..... Whats the best version of Linux to use?

Lavaeagle
August 18th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I have 2 computers that i use constantly.
Linux for website and graphic development.
Vista for a Video editor/server/gaming computer.

Jaunty M%therf#@king Jackalope. I love the enviroment.

matchstich
August 18th, 2009, 02:27 PM
use two computers here. have 8 on one and 9.04 on the other,

my only complaint with 9 is the update manager.

do not get the red arrow any more, it just starts up doing the up date thing.

i like the way 8 handles the update manager. the arrow shows up, and then , when i am ready i close out of everything i am doing and run it.

Ridinkidonk
August 18th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I just did yesterday on my laptop, whilst accidentally deleting my Vista partition =] good riddance, I say! I had too many errors and such with Vista anyway.

I still use XP on my computer =].

Ichimonji10
August 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I've all but switched to linux. I'll admit, it's largely because my crochety old desktop has so many inveterate hardware problems that only linux is stable enough to work on it.

Then there's the fact that linux is just so much easier to use, powerful, extensible, and open source. But that's just details. :p

mgc1952
August 18th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Hi - I started using linux in Jan 01 but I hadn't made the leap totally until recently. Hardware support has finally been improved so I can run it full time.

The one thing that was stopping me was my Zune (grrm M$) but having a copy of vmware workstation anyway and with the availability of virtual box I finally went for it - no windows partition. Most excited - if wine could only run zune software or some industrious coder finally is able to crack the sytem (getting by that handshake) and do it from linux.

ubuntu 9.04 - great for me

Man-O-Leisure
August 19th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I am 90% there to only using Ubuntu. If i could get Photoshop CS4 and Dreamweaver CS4 and Corel Draw X4 to run under wine i would be 100% there...

misfitpierce
August 19th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I used to play games on pc but been straight Ubuntu for years now and have not regreted it. Got consoles for gaming or rarely Wine if I really want to play something. The performance upgrade and visual upgrade with compiz and effects and nice theming abilities make having Ubuntu defeat need for games imo on a computer!

Been straight Ubuntu for years and never happier with how Ubuntu has been progressing!

ithinkitschad
August 19th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Its been about 6 months clean and sober.. Havent booted into xp for 6 months...
I like games too, but I just use the 360 for them.

mdsmedia
August 19th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Only two things keep me chained to Windows. One is my Brother label printer will not work under Wine in Linux no matter what, and two I can't find a Citrix thin client driver that will drive my company's virtual Windows machine from within Ubuntu.
Rather than Wine, have you tried finding Brother drivers for Linux? My Brother MFC-7420 works flawlessly (scanner and printer) using Brother drivers specifically for Linux.

I'm not sure about a label printer, but have you tried it?

mdsmedia
August 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Forgive me Father for I have sinned.

It's been 2 years since I bought anything specifically Windows-based, but having bought a new computer a week or so ago (Vista pre-installed), I bought 2 EA Sports games which i used to play on the PS, to play on my new PC.

I'm forced to keep Windows around for my professional (accounting) software, so I do occasionally play games in Windows. Other than that, I'm 100% Linux.

In the next year or so I hope to be rid of my profession, and therefore the need for Windows.

fela
August 19th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I am 90% there to only using Ubuntu. If i could get Photoshop CS4 and Dreamweaver CS4 and Corel Draw X4 to run under wine i would be 100% there...

You would be surprised but unless you are quite into graphics design, GIMP is hiding lots and lots of features, and actually there isn't a whole lot of stuff Photoshop can do that the GIMP can't (I'm not saying there isn't anything though). Dreamweaver? There's lots of alternatives on Linux, I doubt they won't fill the gap nicely; one that comes to mind is Kompozer. Sorry but I'm not sure what Corel Draw X4 is.

super kim
August 19th, 2009, 12:38 PM
In the next year or so I hope to be rid of my profession, and therefore the need for Windows.

this ladies and gentlemen is dedication! this man is going to leave his job so he can be windows free :lolflag:

fela
August 19th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I keep windoze vista on my computer for three reasons, in order of priority:

1) My computer is the fastest in the house and the only x86 PC fast enough to run PICAXE VSM realtime circuit simulation software that my dad needs (he's building a PICAXE based microcontroller for our heating system).

2) Adobe master collection CS4. Rarely if ever do I need it instead of GIMP plus Inkscape, but I keep it in case I ever want to do some video editing or animation (after effects is for that I think?). Adobe bridge is nice aswell (not essential, but nice).

3) A couple games as I don't have a game console. If this was the only reason I wouldn't count it as enough to keep windows on my system.

99 percent of the time I'm on Linux though, Ubuntu 8.10 intrepid ibex. I'll use 10.04 LTS once 10.10 is out. I only use a release if a) there's a newer release out and b) I've tested it and it's 100% stable and glitch free. I'm talking about stuff like audio bugs in jaunty (for me anyway). It's a reason that I keep a small 'test' partition on my computer for testing the latest alpha or beta of Ubuntu.

So basically I'm 99% switched but I still have a windows partition and I'm not ever gonna get rid of it until those three things start to support Linux. I'd say it's more about switching from Linux to windows for me though, as I used Linux on my computer before windows. I hadn't ever used windows when I started using Linux :P

Sean Moran
August 19th, 2009, 01:48 PM
You would be surprised but unless you are quite into graphics design, GIMP is hiding lots and lots of features, and actually there isn't a whole lot of stuff Photoshop can do that the GIMP can't (I'm not saying there isn't anything though). Dreamweaver? There's lots of alternatives on Linux, I doubt they won't fill the gap nicely; one that comes to mind is Kompozer. Sorry but I'm not sure what Corel Draw X4 is.

Agree on the GIMP vs. Photoshop factor very much, as that was the last hurdle I had to jump too.

I stuck with Win 98 until last April because I knew PaintShop Pro 6 very well for all my graphic design work, but apart from the possibility that it might require a few more than 256Mb of RAM to open a dozen digital photo images at once straight off the camera without bringing the whole system to a stop, (which is my fault for being impatient and low on RAM for 2009 I am guessing) the adjustment from PSP6 to GIMP was only a matter of a weekend's experimentation over the course of normal graphic work and Bob's yer uncle. Jpegs and even animated .gifs are really quick and easy to create and work with.

I booted the old Win98 that is still taking up 1.8Gb on the boot partition C: yesterday for the first time since first installing Ubuntu 8.04. I forget how to use the mlabel command and needed to change the labels on the FAT32 partitions and that was the simplest and quickest way to achieve it.

That one time aside, I'm glad to have finally completely switched to Linux, although the nostalgia of booting back into Win98 did bring back some fond memories, but that is the right place to leave it, if I consider the big picture.

:guitar:

fela
August 19th, 2009, 02:16 PM
That one time aside, I'm glad to have finally completely switched to Linux, although the nostalgia of booting back into Win98 did bring back some fond memories, but that is the right place to leave it, if I consider the big picture.

:guitar:

When my 750GB Linux HDD had a head crash I only had windows on my system for a bit. I decided Linux had to go on the 250GB remaining drive and when I installed Linux back and booted to it I also got nostalgia, but the other way round!

h3x22
August 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Me as well, I just use Ubuntu on my laptop because it works great! When I had it on my desktop I failed to play games on it because some of them took too much work to install, like Team Fortress 2. I am very happy with it on my laptop though!

Katalog
August 19th, 2009, 05:50 PM
The one thing that was stopping me was my Zune (grrm M$) but having a copy of vmware workstation anyway and with the availability of virtual box I finally went for it - no windows partition. Most excited - if wine could only run zune software or some industrious coder finally is able to crack the sytem (getting by that handshake) and do it from linux.

Do what my friend Erin did. Burn all your Zune music to CD, rip it back into Rhythmbox (or Banshee - although I'm in favor of the former being one of those tin foil hat wearing Mono Conspiracy theorists) in MP3, Ogg, or FLAC, sell the Zune, buy a Sansa Fuze (or a Cowon, iRiver, or other Linux friendly brand PMP) and live happily Windows free ever after. :)

Sorry but I'm not sure what Corel Draw X4 is.

I think Corel Draw is a drawing program very similar to Inkscape.

Phrea
August 19th, 2009, 09:20 PM
One of my two computers is already windows-free, had a hdd crash [win xp disk it was], and I've descided to go cold turkey.
It runs off of a live Knoppix cd for a month now, and I'm finally getting my new hardware this friday, and it will only run Kubuntu from then on.

I'm halfway there !

Wistful
August 20th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Me included.

Cardcaptor Stacey
August 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM
Been using Ubuntu for 2 years and haven't switched back since. No way am I going back!

jabastija
August 22nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
I still have xp on my laptop for my wife's printmaster program and occasionally nero. I've been using ubuntu on my desktop for about 2 years. Just installed jaunty on the laptop for a dual-boot. It's nice to see it boot up in less than 10 minutes!

WiseGuy1020
August 22nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
10 minutes? what the hell were you running? and what the hell were you running it on?

fouserge
August 22nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
My Desktop dual boots Jaunty with XP in order to play heavy games that don't have the best wine support yet and for school programs that need to be done with Visual Studio (I also run VMs for this). And my laptop is currently running strictly Ubuntu 9.04 as well with a with a Windows 7 and a XP VM for running Visual Studio. I've had to many classes that demand .NET...

ranch hand
August 22nd, 2009, 09:31 PM
I still have xp on my laptop for my wife's printmaster program and occasionally nero. I've been using ubuntu on my desktop for about 2 years. Just installed jaunty on the laptop for a dual-boot. It's nice to see it boot up in less than 10 minutes!
If you have tried PrintMaster under Wine I would love to know your version (of PM) and the results.

I have a wife that is fond of that too.

Kuiren
August 22nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
I completely switched over to Linux. I just hate windows and I wanted to try something new. I'm still a bit slow at learning all this new stuff, but I'm getting there. :]

edwardtilbury
August 23rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
I'm 100% but I do have a vista virtualbox guest.

I use virtualbox for iphone syncing
excel vb scripts and large spreadsheets when calc can't open it.
occasional photoshop
ie8 (test websites for clients)

Other than that on Ubuntu I use
rdp (remote access)
Deluge (torrent)
filezilla (ftp client)
geany (php)
netbeans 6.7 (php)
thunderbird (I might switch to evolution)

njhomeowner
August 23rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
The whole family is switched to Linux (ubuntu). Actually, my wife was at the playground with our kids when another mother was complaining about her Windows machine (viruses, slow, etc). This person was telling my wife that she needs to go out and get another computer because hers is 3 years old anyway and slow. My wife's response - "...you don't need a new computer you need linux - thats what we use and we dont get viruses. Our computers are older and they work fine..."

Now, my wife is not into the tech aspects of linux, but at least she knows (and appreciates) that it works.

I do, however still use Win XP on virtual box because there are some MS applications that you absolutley need, such as Itunes for Iphone syncing, software to program the universal remote, and quicken.

I try to advocate switching to linux wherever possible - it really is better.

Katalog
August 24th, 2009, 07:49 AM
This person was telling my wife that she needs to go out and get another computer because hers is 3 years old anyway and slow. My wife's response - "...you don't need a new computer you need linux - thats what we use and we dont get viruses. Our computers are older and they work fine..."

Now, my wife is not into the tech aspects of linux, but at least she knows (and appreciates) that it works.

Sounds like my own spouse. She's not Linux genius by any means, but she still knows enough to get around the system pretty well, and enough to know that it is often a better solution than going to Best Buy to drop hundreds of dollars on a new computer just because your old one's system is starting to bog from bit rot and neglect.

mercules2178
August 24th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I have switched every pc in the house regardless of age to a version of linux. My wife and kids do not really care about the difference as long as they can surf and play games. I have vista and windows 7 in virtualbox due to one of our printers not having appropriate drivers. I have dual monitors and nvidia sli up and running using linux mint 7. I love it and I suggest it to all. I even set my mother in-law up with mint and vista in virtualbox due to her need of Chief Architect. Most of my family has converted and to top it off we save hundreds that we are not spending on a desktop, os, extra software, and support. This community has such great support that you can't seem to get with winblows without paying for it, deeply!

Katalog
August 25th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I have vista and windows 7 in virtualbox due to one of our printers not having appropriate drivers.

Don't even get me started on printer drivers. I think some printer manufacturers (HP is pretty good about it) are the worst offenders when it comes to sharing code with the Linux community (there are some wireless chip makers that are pretty bad as well, but easier to work around). My wife has always loved Canon printers due to their print quality, but we have a Canon multifunction printer in the house it took me almost a week to get working with Ubuntu. I finally had to convert some RPMs with Alien that I tracked down on Canon's Asian web site, install a couple of additional Gutenprint drivers and hold my mouth just right, but I finally got it working on everyone's machine. Our older Canon IP220 wasn't too bad, but the MP150 was a pain in the you-know-what. :P

PhilGil
August 25th, 2009, 05:53 AM
...Our older Canon IP220 wasn't too bad, but the MP150 was a pain in the you-know-what. :P
The most perverse part of the printer driver dilemma is that you just never know - my almost identical MP160 worked perfectly in Jaunty out of the box (both printing and scanning). Took me a while to get printer sharing working (with my Ubuntu box as host) on my daughter's XP box and my wife's Vista laptop, though.

My XP partition will be going away soon as I never use it. However, I still run XP in VirtualBox for cable syncing my Blackberry.

Katalog
August 26th, 2009, 12:56 AM
The most perverse part of the printer driver dilemma is that you just never know - my almost identical MP160 worked perfectly in Jaunty out of the box (both printing and scanning). Took me a while to get printer sharing working (with my Ubuntu box as host) on my daughter's XP box and my wife's Vista laptop, though.

My XP partition will be going away soon as I never use it. However, I still run XP in VirtualBox for cable syncing my Blackberry.

Funny you should mention the MP160, because it was the drivers for that very printer that eventually got my MP150 working. They didn't have drivers available specifically for the MP150, so I grabbed those, and of course I explained the rest of the hilarity that ensued in my previous post so I won't get into it again. They do seem to be almost identical printers, but the MP150 most definitely didn't work out of the box. Don't know what the big difference was, but Jaunty sure didn't like it for some reason.

ed5000
August 26th, 2009, 06:57 AM
I switched two years ago to ubuntu 7.10. My 120 gig drive is still partitioned 60g M$ and 60g Ubuntu but I have never used the M$. I don't even know if it still works. I've keep upgrading the Ubuntu partition
and it's at 9.4 now. No big long product codes, no antivirus renewals (some want $60 a year now), or anti-spyware (some recommend using 2 on one machine!). All makes for one sluggish machine. I could go on!

winh8r
August 26th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I went from Win 2K pro to ubuntu 7.04 and have been running Ubuntu exclusively since I got my internet connection issues sorted out.

I can't say I miss W*ndows, as I never really liked it in the first place!

Ubuntu has stimulated my interest in programming/development and since moving to it I have learnt among other things to build websites,install databases, and have been successful in performing data recovery on two PC's and numerous laptops.

For those who say that it is too difficult to learn to use a "new" operating system, I would remind them that when they were born they could neither walk nor talk but with patience and a bit of guidance they managed to do both.

There is a big difference between unable to learn and unwilling to learn.

The Ubuntu community is a great place full of helpful people many of whom,like me started out with very little knowledge but have worked through their difficulties and learnt and progressed into computer operators rather than just users.

If you are still using w*ndows and are wondering if you should switch completely to ubuntu then I would suggest getting yourself an old ,second hand pc and install ubuntu on it at first to allow you to make the transition gradually.

My other advice would be ***TAKE THE TIME TO LEARN HOW TO USE THE COMMAND LINE*** IT WILL SAVE YOU HUGE AMOUNTS OF TIME AND ENABLE YOU TO SORT OUT PROBLEMS WHEN COMPUTERS WILL NOT START UP PROPERLY.

Good Luck.

Hiankun
August 27th, 2009, 02:48 AM
@winh8r

I totally agree with you. I also begun the experience of Ubuntu from 7.04, and it does stimulate my interesting of something like the programming or operation system.

I also appreciate what you've mentioned:
``There is a big difference between unable to learn and unwilling to learn.''

In opensource world, we can learn many things as long as we are willing to. That's another reason I stay with Ubuntu.

And the most important thing is to learn the command line. It could be very useful under many situations.

Vik Vasilev
August 27th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I made the complete switch to linux about 4 or 5 months ago after using linux for about the same time. I miss some games but that's about it.

oh and my scanner doesn't work under linux but they're cheap so I'm just going to buy a new one. Once I get around to it.

4-5 months, me too. And the only thing that doesnt work (yet) for me is my Resident Evil 4 :)

Morten ML
August 27th, 2009, 08:50 AM
More or less new user and bitching about w*ndows.
I have completely switched to Linux now.
After having spend a good deal of time learning w*ndows and never really took time to learn linux. I then had to use it for my studies, and set up a fedora - i found a good guide for program installation on that. After having used fedora for 2 years on and of i was impressed with its stability. xp needed to be cleaned atleast twice a week. every half year i had to reinstall xp since the register was ******. Never had blue screen of death but had a lot of hanging and i think it is wrong to make an os where the user has to wait for it to do something. in Linux - the computer waits for you to act not the other way around.
Being a free time gamer - DDO - and thinking it would not run on linux. i didn't switch. another thing was the office pack.
Now i have fedora for working pc and ubuntu 8.10 as my gamer/work pc. I am using openoffice and hopefully ill get into LateX at some point.
Sure sometimes it takes longer to install things becouse you cant just click an install file for some program you just downloaded. Sure you have to find alternatives to some of the programs you are used to. But all in all you get an os that just works. no more no less. I ****** up fedora a couple of times, but it always helped me solving the problem. with the great forum for ubuntu and all the help you can get on the net, I am never going back to w*ndows. If i have to for some odd reason it'l be a virtualbox, and it will be deleted the second i don't need it anymore.
In a week i could properly spend 2 hours waiting for win to let me do something. and then 2 hours cleaning stuff. So now i decided on linux, simply for its stability. And now i have chosen that if a program can not run in linux, its not worth running at all.
Hope i won't regret this decision, but everything has worked fine for now. used ubuntu for 4 days.
and thanks for a great forum!

edit: one more thing. In Linux, being open source, you own skills set the limit of what you can do and not what commercial programmers will let you know about their programs. I like this a lot.

hakermania
August 27th, 2009, 09:59 AM
i had vista and i was a gamer...... (CCS :P ).....but when the system crashed and blue screens appearred, I decided to try something completely different like UBUNTU!!!! And i am very happy about my decision!!!

Naquiem
August 30th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I dumped windows after 16 years of using a windows system. I've been playing with linux since 98, but never could let go of windows because of games. I saw WoW can be played with linux so I gave it a try. Unfortunately I have a ATI x1300 mobility video card in my T60 and I've yet to get it to work with WoW well. It boots but isn't pretty and low fps. So I'll be making a windows partition for WoW. Linux for everything else tho.:) I'll be buying a new laptop soon that will be fully supported by Linux so I can dump windows for good.

acornbrain
August 30th, 2009, 07:39 PM
3 days on Ubuntu. Had to when my laptop got clobbered by a virus last week. It's an old, secondhand laptop with a busted screen, no battery and some missing keys. So it was not worth the money to try and "fix" the XP.

On a whim, decided to wipe clean and install Ubuntu instead. Installation was a snap, but there was some difficulty getting linux to use my wireless adapter, but I eventually got it working thanks to forums like this.

I am definitely in the Ubuntu "honeymoon" period. It seems to be running much better than XP ever did. There is an intoxicating peace-of-mind that accompanies linux, but that is coming from a jilted Windows user with a fatal virus.

Now I am seriously considering switching, or at least dual-booting my main, desktop PC with Ubuntu.

I don't do any gaming at all, so that is not a concern for me.

The only things that make me nervous about switching over 100%:
1. Photoshop. I need it for my artwork, but I have not yet tried GIMP, and perhaps it will be able to do everything I need.
2. AutoCAD...this I use for work. Some people have said they can get it to run from Linux using Wine, but I have not tried that yet.
3. Itunes (for my wife's IPOD), can that be installed on Ubuntu? Personanly, I don't like itunes, but for her IPOD it is the only way, yes?

So what I will probably do is dual-boot my PC and try to use Ubuntu for most of the tasks. It just makes me a little upset to have a big bloated windows system on the other side of the partition taking up hard drive space.

Anyway, God bless Ubuntu and this forum, from this user.

-acornbrain

Katalog
August 31st, 2009, 01:44 AM
There is an intoxicating peace-of-mind that accompanies linux, but that is coming from a jilted Windows user with a fatal virus.

It's not just you. I still feel that way to this day, and I've never been a jilted Windows user (although I have had a few relatively harrowing experiences in my brief brushes with Windows at work).

Kristofer Van Orton
August 31st, 2009, 01:52 AM
Well I haven't completley switched and as things are looking now I don't think I want to.
I still use Vista for:

Video Editing: (there are actually some pretty impressive video editors for linux, ex. cinnelarra) but I can't help to stick with what im familiar with (Adobe Premier Pro/After Affects)

Gaming: i already have a lot of good games that simply wont work on linux

FL Studio: FL Studio is software for creating music (ex. GarageBand for OSX) which the only program like that I could find for linux is LMMS (Linux MultiMedia Studio) and they simply don't match up.

and besides that there are just various other programs that don't yet match up in my mind. but I don't see the problem with it, normally when I boot my computer I go straight to Ubuntu unless I have something specific to do with windows.

-KVO

fela
August 31st, 2009, 09:32 AM
The only things that make me nervous about switching over 100%:
1. Photoshop. I need it for my artwork, but I have not yet tried GIMP, and perhaps it will be able to do everything I need.

If you're a serious graphics designer you probably want to keep Photoshop. OTOH the GIMP does alot more than alot of people seem to think it does, and is really a very powerful tool if you learn how to use it properly. My advice for the GIMP is not to go by first impressions.

2. AutoCAD...this I use for work. Some people have said they can get it to run from Linux using Wine, but I have not tried that yet.

If I were you I wouldn't try and get any essential thing to run on wine, it just isn't reliable enough, and anyway who wants to run windows programs on Linux? Isn't it Linux that we use to get away from windows in the first place? Trust me you'll make life much easier for yourself if you avoid wine, IMO it's an experimental piece of software that should never go beyond 'omg I've got a kind of working windows emulator'. Ie. don't use it for anything serious.

3. Itunes (for my wife's IPOD), can that be installed on Ubuntu? Personanly, I don't like itunes, but for her IPOD it is the only way, yes?

I think some ipods only work with iTunes, and sadly iTunes is only coded for windows and OSX. But most ipods work with other programs in Linux (only the latest ones don't).

So what I will probably do is dual-boot my PC and try to use Ubuntu for most of the tasks. It just makes me a little upset to have a big bloated windows system on the other side of the partition taking up hard drive space.

Yes, I think from what you do you're better off dual booting windows and linux, at least for the time being. You could try only booting up the linux partition for a while, not even thinking about windows in this time, and persevering with it. If there's an essential piece of software that doesn't exist in Linux you keep windows, if you find out you can do pretty much everything you need in linux go for it! Another bit of advice: steer well clear of Wubi (the 'install ubuntu inside windows' feature/bug).

Guido Giunchi
August 31st, 2009, 10:50 AM
1 year ubuntu!!! now works great on my
-intel core duo quad q8400@2.66Ghz:guitar:
-2x 2Gb ddr2 1066Mhz Ram:)
-ati hd 1gb gddr3:KS
-asus p5q pro:popcorn:
sad i have to install windows xp professional:( next week to run GTA:P

grimace
August 31st, 2009, 12:54 PM
100% Ubuntu

Whenever I buy a computer it invariably comes with Windoze installed which, with me, has a lifespan of about 10 min....

I first used Ubuntu in 2004 and never looked back. Now I use netbook remix and find it outstanding. Ubuntu is now so user friendly I even got my parents to make the switch, and in the process brought their 9-year-old Dell back to life.

acornbrain
August 31st, 2009, 08:14 PM
Now, from what I understand, when you dual-boot, Ubuntu will "mount" your windows partition, so that you can access your files via a /windows directory. Is that correct?

If so, is there any reason to "move" my personal files over to the Ubuntu partition? IE: if the Windows side of things locks up or goes kaput, will I always be able to get at the stuff on there throught Ubuntu?

I apologize if this topic would be more appropriate in the "support" forum.

running_rabbit07
August 31st, 2009, 08:16 PM
100% venti triple vanilla Ubuntu latte!

matsuzine
August 31st, 2009, 08:17 PM
I'm all linux, but my wife uses windows and doesn't want to switch so I keep it installed for her.

ranch hand
August 31st, 2009, 09:25 PM
Now, from what I understand, when you dual-boot, Ubuntu will "mount" your windows partition, so that you can access your files via a /windows directory. Is that correct?

If so, is there any reason to "move" my personal files over to the Ubuntu partition? IE: if the Windows side of things locks up or goes kaput, will I always be able to get at the stuff on there throught Ubuntu?

I apologize if this topic would be more appropriate in the "support" forum.
Yes grub will pick up your Win Jerry-Lewis Pro. I would suggest going with Jaunty so that you do not have to learn the new grub which is very different.

You should be able to get to your files, assuming they are any good, through nautilus easily.

It might be wise to back up important documents before partitioning your drive. I have never lost anything doing this but it is very possible.

That said, you could just back up your MS files and install Ubuntu on the whole drive and put them into Ubuntu. If you feel you need an emergency OS in case of a problem you could always dual boot with Ubuntu.

MoonRocketZero
August 31st, 2009, 09:43 PM
I'm about 95 percent Linux, out of all the systems in my house only one is set up to dual boot with XP and thats for gaming (which I do very infrequently lately).

I'm really amazed at how little I miss windows programs.

I've found great replacments for just about eveything I used on windows, and the few Win progs. that I need to use regulary (Photshop, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, maybe a couple others) I can run well in a vitural machine within Ubuntu - so really the only thing that keep that XP partition on my main sys is a few games...

JC Cheloven
September 1st, 2009, 12:46 AM

In theory you can do that. In practice, I wouldn't recommend it. On one hand, if you boot windows and an unclean shutdown occurs, the filesystem will appear as "in use" to ubuntu, and it will refuse to access it. On the other hand, the windows filesystems are more prone to fragmentation, which could cause, with the time, some kind of issue that makes windows unbootable. Tu sum up: it's asking for problems.

And yes, you'd better asking in the support categories ;-)

Katalog
September 1st, 2009, 01:08 AM
100% Ubuntu

Whenever I buy a computer it invariably comes with Windoze installed which, with me, has a lifespan of about 10 min....

Heh, sounds like me. My 1000HA never got to boot Windows even once after I got it our of the box. :P

Katalog
September 1st, 2009, 01:12 AM
If you're a serious graphics designer you probably want to keep Photoshop. OTOH the GIMP does alot more than alot of people seem to think it does, and is really a very powerful tool if you learn how to use it properly. My advice for the GIMP is not to go by first impressions.

Very true. You can script the heck out of it to the point it'll do just about everything except wash your dishes for you (except for exporting to SVG. Why the *&%$! is that so difficult? Yeah, I know it's not as easy as it sounds, but still frustrating.)

Tharkun
September 1st, 2009, 01:26 AM
I play some games that I really enjoy that won't run right on Linux so I play them on Windows but other than that :)

sideaway
September 1st, 2009, 01:32 AM
I play some games that I really enjoy that won't run right on Linux so I play them on Windows but other than that :)
Exactly the same with me. I play games and performance is an issue on my ATi card. SO I only ever boot to Windows for that.

itlarson
September 1st, 2009, 02:00 AM
The last version of windows I used was windows "Me".

MoonRocketZero
September 1st, 2009, 02:05 AM
The last version of windows I used was windows "Me".
Eeeek! using Windows Me is enough to turn anyone against windows for life (sort of the same as using Vista) :)

hockeytux
September 1st, 2009, 02:06 AM
My household is free of MS products right now... I may reconsider for gaming purposes though but that would be another offline PC set up for nothing else than that (simply because I dont like consoles)

For all other computing tasks theres Linux.

quazi
September 1st, 2009, 02:18 AM
So I don't know if this qualifies. I have my main machine on a dual boot, but haven't touched Windows in over a month.

I was given a laptop with XP preinstalled (on one partition) that I use occasionally to watch ESPN360. There's no (legal) alternative right now.

misterfixit
September 1st, 2009, 03:07 AM
I converted my office (which ran WinXP and before that Windows for Work Groups) to Ubuntu a couple of years ago after using Fedora for several years. My workstation is used all day long to do productive and profitable work, and I am basically my own IT Department. I first started using Linux in 1999.

I try very hard to be understanding of the whole Linux philosophy. I read somewhere recently that much of the work now done on Linux is by professional programmers working in an office environment. That's a good thing in my perspective; but, even if the developers are guys working in their spare closet, at least they are dedicated to what they are doing rather than code drones working in a cubicle.

With respect to using Linux -- and specifically Ubuntu -- my expectations are like a lot of commercial users, I expect that obvious, easily discovered glitches to be sorted out before the system is released. But I know that is totally unrealistic considering that the Linux community is an international community of folks whose aims and interests lie in multitudinous directions.

As far as glitch, bug, or whatever you call them, look at ANY Windows product for example -- Windows is in continuous Alpha and Beta testing as far as I am concerned, which is one of several reasons I completely gave up on Windows products back in 2001. Sure, there are Windows products which work "flawlessly" if users are to be believed. Certainly there are many Windows specific applications which are either not duplicated or are pooly imitated by Linux. On the other hand, all you need do is look at the native Linux applications which are successful -- and there are thousands of them -- to see how useful Linux is today.

For example, take glabels; I use glabels almost every day and have hundreds of glabel files with various graphic or text printing uses. For me, glabels works flawlessly and very quickly. That is just a small example for me. A big example for everyone is the OpenOffice Suite which I have been using for years. Glabels is a trivial example for some; but OpenOffice is major.

In my case, when I first loaded Red Hat 5.2 years and years ago, I was running Windows for Workgroups 3.11; OS2/Warp; Dos 6.11 on three separate machines. For a couple of years I had a BeOS machine (which I still have and play with occasionally). I converted the Windows machine to WinXP, got rid of OS2/Warp and sat back and asked myself "what applications or programs do I really need to be productive?". I made a list and built a Linux box from OEM parts I bought at Computer Rennassiance when Computer Rennisance was still a Hobby Store (our local stores are now just remainered and limited stuff now and on their way down the tubes.). Understand that I have been working with computer systems since the days of Big Iron -- a Honeywell 6600 System in the basement of the Pentagon to be exact. I built my first Microcomputer in 1978 - a Heathkit H88 -- I'm still a hardware guy mostly.

Red Hat 5.2 was a real chore to load and get working .. this was in 1999 I think; but I persevered and tinkered; still not using the machine for actual production. Then I started using Fedora and finally began to see applications which I could run and migrate certain tasks to. The Linux box was stable and I used to have one of those "xxxx days since last reboot" messages as a signature line. But when Ubuntu first came out and I tired it, I was coverted. Mainly because I saw that there was a real effort in involve "the little guy" -- meaning the actual person who is attempting to use the Linux system. Believe me when I tell you that in the 1990's a "noobie" didn't DARE to ask a question on the dial-up BBS's or on CompuServe or AOL Linux groups. The attitude amongst the Linux Glitteratti was worse than the OS2/WARP folks and that is saying something indeed about elitism and pure assholery.

Ubuntu chaged all of that. Even the Ubuntu Usenet forums were "kinder and Gentler" -- although I have seen a steady degradation of polite "help out the noobie" attitudes on some of the Usenet groups. I quit bothering to even read them about a year ago mainly because of this forum system which Ubuntu maintains for us.

As of today, my Linux Ubuntu system operates 24/7 with a few problems which I have talked about in my other posts. I am VERY critical of some of those problems, but only because I am totally reliant upon Linux applications; I have three Linux Ubuntu workstations, all of which are doing productive and profitable work. See, when you stop being a hobby guy or part time tinkerer you become dependant upon your software. I am dependant upon Ubuntu but I am happy with that. This moment my personal workstation has all 10 windows occupied with something, whether is is BitTorrent, Frostwire; OpenOffice Calc; Thunderbird, Firefox (with at least 10 tabs open), a complete window with just the System Monitor showing me fancy graphs; Ephipany open 24/7 on this forum usually; and right now the movie "Watchmen" paused whilst I type this. Oh, and Streamtuner with RadioParadise playing too. Occasionally I work at a remote location with a computer running Windows XP and it is very tiresome for me. I've seen stories about Vista and so forth and think to myself, "well, that's Microsoft -- Beta Testing to the millions again".

See, I've worked hard to tweek my little system to do just what I want it to do -- maybe "do just what I think I need it to do" is better terminology. Yes, I've had to spend time here on this forum and also running down leads on various sites, but once I got all that stuff sorted out, it was done. I rsync everything on a daily basis (and hourly basis for certain folders which are essential) both onsite and offsite so I know that if something breaks I just go back to a previous image. Rsync does this all in the background with little intervention. Not to say I haven't had to come here to this forum and ask questions, but I have almost always gotten some kind of an answer which either solved things for me or headed me in the correct direction. Once set up the way I want it, Ubuntu is an excellent foundation for the applications I use.

OK, my 2 cents worth, YMMV, HTH, LSMFT.

Dave

h1ll39
September 1st, 2009, 03:40 AM
------------------

I attempted to Install ubuntu on my old emachine. The fan blew out during attempt and burned the mother board. Smoke came out.

--

Forced to use my dads old Red Hat Linux computer only having Netscape.

Learned some stuff, but never picked up on how compatible it could be because the computer was not mine to tamper with.

--

Installed Ubuntu using Wubi after getting a new Dell computer (that default came with Microsoft).

-

Later I uninstalled it because Windows was running slow and I was gaming on windows at the time.
By uninstalling Wubi Windows continued to run slowly.

------------------

Re-installed ubuntu linux on my Dell using my flash Drive (interesting that it worked).

--

Took off Microsoft Partion after only using ubuntu for weeks.

PRESENT DAY
------------------

I'm 14 and I only use ubuntu. Great way to go.
Sorry for the long Answer :)

-h1ll39

sideaway
September 1st, 2009, 05:41 AM
14 aye? My 15yo brother only wants to play games, isn't really interested in Linux :P

jonathonblake
September 1st, 2009, 02:36 PM
I'm still a hardware guy mostly.

A hardware guy would create their office suite out of hardware, not software.

jonathon

stumbleUpon
September 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Started with windows some eight years ago for abt a year, and Dual boot XP and SUSE.

Found ubuntu in 2005, removed windows completely in around 2006 and have lived happily ever after since....!!!

Shea7993
September 1st, 2009, 05:58 PM
discovered ubuntu earlier the year, tried it installing next to windows, played around with it, love it... Today i run my PC 95% of the time on linux for pretty much anything I do... except gaming ofcourse... but realised just that todays games arent realy all that great, so while i still have a win partition, i mainly run ubuntu... definately worth the switch and recomends it strongly

Mazza558
September 1st, 2009, 07:23 PM
FL Studio: FL Studio is software for creating music (ex. GarageBand for OSX) which the only program like that I could find for linux is LMMS (Linux MultiMedia Studio) and they simply don't match up.

Where do you think LMMS doesn't match up with FL Studio?

s_raiguel
September 1st, 2009, 07:52 PM
Regarding non-support of Canon printers as a reason for retaining XP, I also have a Canon printer, an i6500, that wasn't supported. However, I found that a German company, Turboprint, makes a pretty good driver that supports - as far as I know - all Canon printers. It's not free, but it's not all that expensive, either. Around 20 euro, if I remember right.

Katalog
September 2nd, 2009, 01:58 AM
Regarding non-support of Canon printers as a reason for retaining XP, I also have a Canon printer, an i6500, that wasn't supported. However, I found that a German company, Turboprint, makes a pretty good driver that supports - as far as I know - all Canon printers. It's not free, but it's not all that expensive, either. Around 20 euro, if I remember right.

I came across that software when I first started troubleshooting my printer. They have a 30 day free trial, and I used it as a stopgap solution while I figured out how to get my MP running with whatever free resources that were available. For some reason it just irked me that I might have to lay out cash to make something work on a machine running free software. It just didn't seem right, and I absolutely couldn't bring myself to part with $40 just to get my printer to function properly when I was almost certain I could do it myself for nothing if I just did enough research and digging (and fortunately, I did!). But that's just me.

JC Cheloven
September 2nd, 2009, 02:02 AM
@ misterfixit:
Thanks for sharing your experience in such a detailed way. It's interesting for me, as my case may lead to something similar. BTW, great movie Watchmen ;-)

WindowsXPfan
September 2nd, 2009, 09:59 AM
I did, and regret it, can't install java, hard.

stumbleUpon
September 2nd, 2009, 10:15 AM
I did, and regret it, can't install java, hard.

Have you seen these pages...??

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JavaInstallation

WindowsXPfan
September 2nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
Have you seen these pages...??

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JavaInstallation

The installation page is very confusing. I was lost on the universe repository section because I don't have that in my add/remove programs.

stumbleUpon
September 2nd, 2009, 01:16 PM
The installation page is very confusing. I was lost on the universe repository section because I don't have that in my add/remove programs.

This is digressing from the main theme of this thread but java installation is quite easy

In a terminal do

sudo aptitude install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-doc

install the last one if you need the docs as well (for this you will need to download a .zip file from the sun java site)

if you are not into writing your own java code, you can also skip sun-java6-jdk

this issue has been discussed a lot of times in these forums. Just search around and you will find more detailed instructions.

diet_leet
September 2nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
Still have a advent laptop running dreaded vista, it loves to overheat and turn itself off.
Just bought a 2nd hand mini desktop comp for 60 notes recently with no OS using this more than the laptop now for all my design work.
More stable, more secure, tons of open source alternatives for the programs I use.
No brainer everyone should at least try open source once in their life.

raj7095
September 2nd, 2009, 03:35 PM
I did. There isnt much point of keeping 2 operating systems. Plus ubuntu can operate windows programs using wine. So you could use any software from windows with higher speed in ubuntu.

mharrison
September 2nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
I've been using Ubuntu as the only OS on my desktop for about 6 months now...I do have my Netbook running the XP that came on it, but that is only because of the mouse issues with the NBR of Eeebuntu. I'll get around to fixing it someday, but I don't use it much so I just haven't cared to take the time. I do keep a VirtualBox XP setup available because my wife likes to print coupons and that stupid Coupon Printer works in Firefox, just not Firefox under Linux, so I quickly boot up Windows, print for her, and shut it down.

As far as gaming goes, since WoW almost destroyed my life, I rarely game anymore, and if I do, I normally play something on my Wii so I am moving instead of sitting still for hours on end.

uberdonkey5
September 2nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
I did. There isnt much point of keeping 2 operating systems. Plus ubuntu can operate windows programs using wine. So you could use any software from windows with higher speed in ubuntu.

well, on this computer I went through these stages:

1. windows only
2. ubuntu only
3. dual boot
4. ubuntu only
5, dual boot
6. ubuntu only with virtual box
7, dual boot

Basically, you can't guarantee that everything will work well using virtualisation, and I don't believe that windows does operate at higher speed within ubuntu, even if theoretically its true. I only use windows for video editing (linux software for video editing is poor or too complex). I have considered going back to virtualisation, but really, I LIKE having two operating systems as it means, no matter what happens to one, I always have a functioning operating system. Also, I am thinking of installing some specialist statistical software that runs in windows.

Yep, its a pain rebooting if I want to use a different OS, but also its nice having that separation. For robustness, I prefer two OSs, and think I will stick with this forever :D

DJINNSeKo
September 2nd, 2009, 04:00 PM
I have several computers all Ubuntu server or Desktop, but I still keep one windows for Monkey Island 5(TM), iTunes which is quite crappy on wine... i wish it worked better!! and ATI from whom I have a GFX card which is not capable of running games without glitches on linux.

Fortunately World of Warcraft works real good on Wine so YEAH!!!

fela
September 2nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
I've gone through these stages over my years of using computers:

MacOS9/X (multiple installs/reinstalls on multiple computers, all Macs.

-- Got my own computer --

Ubuntu (for the bulk of my time with this computer)
WindowsXP + Ubuntu
Ubuntu (XP died ;))
WindowsXP (for one week)
Ubuntu + WindowsXP (not very long)
Ubuntu

-- Built new computer --

Ubuntu
WindowsVista + Ubuntu
Ubuntu
WindowsXPx64
WindowsXPx64 + Ubuntu
Windows 7 + Ubuntu (briefly)
Ubuntu
Ubuntu + WindowsVista

-- main HDD (750GB) got head crash and died --

Windows Vista (2 days)
WindowsXPx64 + Ubuntu
WindowsXPx64 + 64Studio
WindowsXPx64 + Linux Mint
WindowsXPx64 + Ubuntu

-- reclaimed old 80GB drive from the NAS --

WindowsVista + Ubuntu

And here I am now :)

uberdonkey5
September 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
whoahhh... thats alot of time installing OSs... unfortunately I only have a copy of vista :( I'd much prefer XP and Ubuntu (hardy)