PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

natrik
February 8th, 2009, 11:31 AM

no video editor that handles titles and audio track overlays that i have gotten to work yet. i tried kino, its really great, but no titles or audio overlay. i am thinking of creating cinerellia deb packages when i get that to work, just have not had the time.

i think over time my problems will diminish, the video editor problem will go away as kino gets more features or as i get another program working well. games will eventually be ported to linux in greater number and my printer..... well we shall see on that one.

This caught my eye (http://www.aegisub.net/) a couple days ago, but I haven't had time to play with it yet. It's mainly for anime fansubbers to make subtitles (and karaoke) but it may have some goodies that you'll like.

marcgh
February 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I have start using 8.10 a few days before last Xmas.

I'm still dual booting but will try to switch completely as soon as I have time for it.
Currently there are 4 reasons to use XP pro:

1. Graphisoft: This is a workflow software for the printing industry. I think its made in France and it uses a dongle (pervasive)

2. Adobe suite CS3: The guy I hire says he is born in this and is very reluctant to switch over to any Ubuntu eqivalent. This will take me time but I will eventually convince him to try.

3. Coreldraw X4: same story as point 2.

4. Office pro 2007: several issues here. The main ones are that I can't see my comments when I open with Open Office 2.4 and also that when I open a Excel file with OO 2.4 most if not all of my macro's are no more working.

I know about Wine, and tried Graphisoft with wine, installs well but does not what to do with the dongle.

I also know about VM but this is not a solution for me. My motivation is to switch over is also to save $$$$. By using VM and install XP + Office 2007 on it, I feel as if I make the whole system just and only more complicated.

jeggerleg
February 8th, 2009, 03:00 PM
what's windows?

I'd love to be able to say that and can on my two home machines. I have responsibility for two machines at work: one is a machine only used for programming a CNC router, the other for an engraving machine. A sort of mini-CNC you might call it.
Both of these have dedicated software and Linux alternatives are not available - I don't think.

RaZoR1394
February 8th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I can hardly believe there are many that have completely 100% switched to GNU/Linux, Linux etc. I have used GNU/Linux since 2003 and I have Ubuntu installed on 6 computers but I have from time to time used a VistaPE / BartPE disc to upgrade firmware on certain hardware. Sometimes I have also tried betas and alphas of Windows like with Vista and 7 just out of curiosity. I also run OSX on certain occasions. My current phone runs Winblows as well. Most people I know claiming to run GNU/Linux to a 100% run Windows on work, at school or similar.

If you are one of those who use Ubuntu/Fedora/Sabayon/Gentoo or whatever you use to a 100% then I must congratulate you.

I have not been able to reach there yet.

fleton
February 8th, 2009, 03:47 PM
All my systems run a linux OS for around 6 months (amazing choice wish I had done it earlyer)

RikardSvenningsen
February 8th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I switched to Ubuntu when release 5,x got out, at my home computer. When version 6.x got out I switched to Ubuntu on my workstation and Labtop at work.
At home I did it because I wanted to bee released from Microsoft, and I wanted to move on, get cleaver on using Linux.
At first I didn't like the Command Line but now I wouldn't miss it, it's remarkable what you can do on that line.
On work I got tiered of reinstalling my Windows once every month because my VMware workstation broke because of overloading with network cards. After installing my Ubuntu I have not reinstalled again,
I got no time for Windows again...

inigomontoya
February 8th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I switched over my Compaq F700 series laptop to linux as soon as i got it. Everything works including the card reader. It's MUCH faster than the bloated vista install that it came with. My wife even uses linux exclusively when she uses the laptop.

gadabyte
February 8th, 2009, 05:08 PM
just finished my migration.

made my laptop xubuntu only about a year ago, just built a new desktop and it's been xubuntu-only since i got tired of playing tf2 (which i've since gotten running pretty nicely via wine). the only things i've missed from xp are the little bit of performance i lose on tf2 via wine, and foobar2k (the greatest media player EVER). foobar runs nicely under wine, but i just found gmusicbrowser, the only native audio player i've found that can match foobar...so i'm completely settled on linux.

now i'm messing with arch on my laptop :)

bednarjm
February 9th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I completely switched to Ubuntu because i kept getting BSOD out of nowhere cause by the video card/drivers after running 3 years straight. I couldnt afford new hardware at the time so i moved totally on over to linux. I'm not having any problems now

andrewstevens
February 9th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I have almost completely switched. About 3 years ago me and my cousin convinced my dad to dual boot the family desktop with xp and ubuntu and when xp got viruses and took hours of work he decided to get rid of it. Now my desktop and the family one run only ubuntu. even for my computers class we use linuxOS although i am forced to use windows in my other classes needing computers. I must say i do not miss windows at all

dLeon
February 9th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I left Linux world around late 90s (forced to use that "FLAG" OS). But, 2 weeks ago I decide to give a try for Ubuntu people buzzing about. Fall in love with it. Now I can say, I use Ubuntu 90%. 10% for issues not yet I solve. I still amazed my self that I still not forget how to ls-ing directory (he... he...)

JackAcid
February 9th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I have been using linux since 1998 when I started playing with Red Hat and running my desktop dual boot. When the kids were younger Saturdays were "windows free". Now they both own Mac, but that's better than nothing.
I still have to run Window$ at work and we just bought my wife a new quad-core machine that handles vista nicely. some day I will do a wubi install on that machine when she is not watching.

I have run Ubuntu exclusively on my Sony VIAO since 2004 when I "accidentally" overwrote the windows partition installing version 6. I have not missed the beast and my lappy runs just fine, playing and writing dvd's. I'm not a gamer so the lack of linux games does not bother me. I may still try out second life, later today, if I have nothing better to do.

When I talk to people about their problems on window$ I always suggest that there is a better way, but I don't unplug them unless they really want to.

Grez
February 9th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I booted up Vista on Friday night because I couldn't get BBC iPlayer to work in Linux (dunno how to configure the Helix RealPlayer plugin for Firefox).

Anyway, I got into Vista, waited ages for the HDD to stop spinning, found out my antivirus licence had expired, requested a new one, while doing this, the whole OS shut down without warning, installed 2 updates, rebooted, installed another update and then sat there warning me that my antivirus was out of date!

Sorry, but I just can'#t handle the trash any more. Ubuntu has got its little problems (like the iPlayer issue) but it's just SO much more grown up. Hopefully as it develops it will become a bit more easy to work around problems (and also as I get more used to using the thing).

Ah well...

calrogman
February 9th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I still have Vista installed in a 35 Gb partition on my hard drive, my new years resolution is to not boot it up, so far so good, if I make the year it is gone.:)

PsychedelicReaction
February 9th, 2009, 11:10 PM
My laptop is Windows free since one 1 year ago but linux has been my primary os for a couple of years

plurworldinc
February 11th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I am running Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptops and netbook, but still trying to figure out a way to convert my multi monitor desktop to Linux all the way. Right now if it wasn't for the problem I am having trying to add sound drivers to my system I would in a heartbeat.

TuckLive
February 11th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Windows free for a year now. I have XP and Win7 installed as VM's, but I never turn them on.

guraknugen
February 11th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Everything works including the card reader.

Have you tried different cards in it? I thought my card reader (multi card type) didn't work. The only cards I had was Memory sticks, since I have a Sony camera, but a few days ago I bought an SD card for my GPS navigator, and I put it in the card reader, and Ubuntu found it immediately! So it seems like my drivers are there and they work, but they are not complete, or something like that.

Well, I don't mind, I don't need Memory sticks anyway (the camera has USB, of course), SD is fine for me.

roshanjose
February 11th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I use XP only for gaming like counter strike or any other games....

otherwise i am always on Linux (Hardy heron)

UbuKunubi
February 11th, 2009, 07:14 PM
After 12+ years of windows I now use Ubuntu as my only OS on all my computers.

1x Dell Inspirion 7500 (455Mhz 256 Mb ram) for web browsing and programming.
1x Packard bell (850Mhz 256 Mb ram) for domestic security with parallel port connected sensors and bluetooth dialup for notifications
1xTiny pc (750 Mhz 256Mb ram) as file server/backup.

all machines are connected over bluetooth network.

I made the switch after losing all my digitised Uni notes from drive-by download malware that installed a rootkit (confirmed by BT services) that prevented recovery!

My only regret is not switching to Ubuntu, or other distro much sooner.

ghostwalker50
February 11th, 2009, 07:27 PM
i use Linux on my Desktop , notebook, Firewall, file server and soon im my PVR.. i only use windows at work and on my media center.. im trying to get mythtv working but im not their yeat.. my hole switch over start about 6 mounts a go. i have been running ubuntu for all most 2 years, and verry happy with it . just having one problam stoping me from moving from vista mce to Mythtv it the Ir blaster.. cant figure it out how to make it work in myth...

shak3800
February 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM
i use windows only for games , but for everything else i use ubuntu .

sydbat
February 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Just finished removing all traces of Windows. 100% GNU/Linux now!

Mrent
February 11th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I have ubuntu as my default OS in grub for a reason! I use ubuntu predominantly for all my day to day computing activities. Unfortunately, I will never uninstall Windows due to performance ( specifically towards gaming), and driver support. Once Linux starts receiving more attention from hardware, peripheral manufacturers, and game developers, will be the day I completely remove Windows.

Rumbl3
February 11th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Completely using ubuntu since about week and a half ago or so. Left behind left 4 dead because it runs in wine but only at 15 fps. So it will get better soon. I'm a bit bored of the game anyway with only two versus maps.

So i've become a huge fan of urban terror (and i'm picking up NWN diamond probably this week) so that will keep me busy for quite a while on linux. Also moving my server over to linux this weekend (just a game server i run out of my house for l4d but i think i'll switch it to urban terror).

Also buying a MSI wind netbook here shortly that's going straight over to ubuntu 8.04 (which i read basicly works right out of the box with it)

No more windows for me.

giannisfs
February 12th, 2009, 12:57 AM
i switchced to linux too, since a year ago :)
I have seen the knoppix live cd before some years and later
i saw that ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake and i liked it.
Ater Ubuntu 7.10 i use linux more and more and since ubuntu 8.04 i can say
that i have completely switched to linux.
When i have to use windows i feel like a bird in a cage....

But there are some great programs working only in windows and/or Mac
especially for video editing and video effects that can't yet not even be compared to those in linux.
The lack of great video apps in linux it is not a problem of linux but insteed a problem purely made by the proprietary ....kingdoms

Anyone who knows even a little about unix/linux can say that almost all if not all other kind of programs in linux are great and way better , with NO DOUBT . not to mention the power of the linux kernel and the linux it's self .

The bottom line
is that Linux is great and will keep being great and better
as long as it continues evolving free and opensource.
Cheers to the open-source Linux domination :guitar:

oopsie
February 12th, 2009, 06:08 AM
I've tried Ubuntu a few times, but there are too many problems for me to switch completely. Infact I'm now trying to go back to windows.

Admitedly, half my problems are due to my ATI graphics card not working well in Ubuntu, but there have been other problems too.

Windows usually just works

Ubuntu, does not in my limited experiance. And needs continuous tweeking and entering things in the command line.

Maybe in a few years Ubuntu will work well enough to beat my windows. But till then, Windows > Ubuntu for me.

ellis rowell
February 12th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I have two laptops and a desktop, the newer laptop and the desktop are both on Ubuntu (v8.10 & v8.04). The older laptop was on v8.10 but I have had to revert to Win XP with that as I could not get the Epson V200 scanner to work with Ubuntu. Normal flatbed scanners are OK, but the flatbed/film scanners don't work, even with Wine. Working under Windows, the V200 can scan at 48bit colour depth and 9600dpi.

vijaym
February 12th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I use linux on my 3 machines -
PPC g3 ibook - debian
generic desktop - ubuntu
hp laptop. - ubuntu and damn small linux

works solidly. still troubled by not being able to do network scanning from the main ubuntu machine to a hp g5 all in one printer linked to a windows xp box in the next office.

ouija
February 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I just started using Ubuntu last year, and after a few failed attempts at getting it setup on my home PC, I gave up. (Had issues installing the graphic card drivers, but also didn't have a clue what I was doing back then!)

But then I bought a new PC for home/private use, and it came with none other than Windows Vista -- Just the kick in the pants I needed to give Ubuntu another shot.

So I installed a copy onto my work laptop and slowly have been learning to use the OS and configure things to my liking, before I switch my home PC over as well. But I'm liking the way things have worked out thus far..

I've pretty much got everything covered in terms of what I primarily use my home system for, such as streaming to my XBOX 360 and XBMC consoles (using Fuppes), cd and backup burning (Nero and some scripts), remuxing mkv files to a playable format for my xbox 360 (care of a script), Skype, Limewire, and almost everything else.

The only things I am missing are a decent digital audio workstation program (such as Adobe Audition or Protools) but I have Audacity running fairly decent and gets the job done in terms of recording and working with my Tascam US122 (I am an audio engineer by profession) but I miss the advance editing features of the latter programs.

The other thing I would love is a nice Video Editing suite as well (such as Vegas or Final Cut). I've looked into Cinelerra but haven't really given it a chance.. didn't seem as friendly as I would have hoped.

Also, support for the playback of High Definition WMV files would be awesome (which I believe has just been introduced by Fluendo -- see: http://www.fluendo.com/shop/product/complete-set-of-playback-plugins/ -- but they are not free, which really defeats the whole purpose of using Ubuntu!)

Other than that, I LOVE my Ubuntu setup and see only great things in the not so distant future. My only regret is that I didn't start using it sooner... :)

bobbest789
February 12th, 2009, 08:44 PM
There are lots of games for Linux/Mac. I'm more interested in making my PC work for me. I have no need for Windows and have completely move over to Ubuntu.

300Z
February 13th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Running Ubuntu Studio for a few months now and loving it... never looked back after the switch.

Jollyollydog66
February 13th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Been 100% Linux since I accidentally reformatted Windows off my hard drive six months ago. Anytime I want anything from Windows I have XP in VirtualBox and that solves all my needs. I didn't ever have a huge issue with Windows but there's so many stupid little things that just annoyed me. Spyware/Virus, having to pay for all the anti virus programs and then worrying about updating them. I know people say that Linux is harder to use and configure but I have a much easier time configuring Linux than I have with Vista.
I like the control the user has of Linux. Getting to hear "Everyday I'm Hustlin" every time I log in is enough to stick with Linux.
The fact that Linux uses like a fifth of the resources that Vista uses is awesome too. My computers not really struggling for resources but it's just such a waste.
Only complaint I have is because of lazy tech support that just doesn't want to help me. "Oh your wireless doesn't work, obviously a Linux problem" just to find out that the wireless crashed in my dorm building.

Sooo many useful tools. The wget tool rocks when you have bad internet. I know there's things like freedownloadmanager but none of them compare to how effective and simple wget is. Heh finally apt is one of the most efficient things I've ever seen.

sudomp
February 13th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Completely linux for the last year.

brown_dog
February 15th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I am 100% Linux and can play all my windows games I own on Wine...

Boaslad
February 15th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Hmm.. Since I own a Playstation3, there's no need to play games with my PC. (the controllers A LOT more comfortable too.) And Ubuntu now does 99.9% of all my computer needs. I would get rid of Windows completely if it weren't for ONE program. "PowerTab Editor". Guitar players... tell me there is an Open source equivalent out there some where!!!! Please!!!! I'd even go proprietory if it exists. Other than that.. I am basically all Linux here.

guraknugen
February 15th, 2009, 12:36 PM
The only things I am missing are a decent digital audio workstation program (such as Adobe Audition or Protools) but I have Audacity running fairly decent and gets the job done in terms of recording and working with my Tascam US122 (I am an audio engineer by profession) but I miss the advance editing features of the latter programs.

I miss a good brickwall limiter for Audacity and I am actually planning to make one myself. I haven't decided yet wether to write it in Nyquist or making a LADSPA plugin, but there is a huge learning curve, I think.

If you want a DAW, why don't you try Ardour?
And for MIDI stuff: Rosegarden.

heeman453
February 15th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Hi everyone, I personally want to get rid of windows and forward the idea to people to stop using windows but I don't think that's easily achievable as windows has hit the whole world's market and if you think that an 80 years old lady who managed to learn in windows to browse the net and print stuffs on a printer and now you want that person to switch to linux then it's almost impossible...
O I was just on the phone to my aunt,she is 54 and I asked her about a computer thing,tried to go almost to nursery language before I could get an idea from her...I asked her to imagine her pc with everything new,well no windows in short and everything would be different..guess what she said??? Well well " No way, it took me too long to learn using windows and now you want me to learn something new!!
The only one who benefits this is Bill Gates...He managed to win the whole world but I only wish that open source could be taught and be user friendly!!
I have a degree in computer science and the first time I ever used linux was debian from uni and it was a world of difference already..I think that linux need to target users that want much cheaper pc and then it might be passed on to the community..
Another example is a friend of mine who is a web master for a private college and when I asked him about ubuntu he was quiet for few seconds and he asked back what is that really,and he never heard of it...

Now next thing is that in the computer syllabus there is something known as virus and the answer is about any computer which causes unwanted stuffs..but why??It should say any pc with windows instead!! That would make a big difference..I think the next release of ubuntu is concentrating on super quick boot or start up!! But why not working on user friendliness??That would change the whole issue and make it more popular!!

ticopelp
February 15th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I'm coming up on two years of being completely Windows and Apple-free. I couldn't be happier about it. Ubuntu has gotten nothing but better in my experience, and I look forward to it getting better still in the future.

darlpmc
February 16th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I switched over to Gnu/Linux about a decade ago. My laptop was having problems with a 3com ethernet card, and our Windows guru couldn't figure it out after hours of working on it.

A workmate suggested that I try Red Hat(5.3) and, after about 1/2 hour looking for a new driver I had a rock-solid laptop that was, if anything, faster than under Windows.

When I first switched my desktop to Redhat, my (mildly luditic) roommate chomped at it for a few weeks... challenging me to prove that Linux could do what he wanted and needed. Well, within a month, I found out that he was raving about Linux to all of his friends (and anybody else who he could get to listen).

I just gave an old (1Gz) machine running Ubuntu to a (93 year old) native elder friend of mine who had all of his associates complaining about his lack of email (he's still politically and socially active -- too busy to learn about using computers). So far his only real problem has been remembering his password.

guraknugen
February 16th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Hmm.. Since I own a Playstation3, there's no need to play games with my PC. (the controllers A LOT more comfortable too.) And Ubuntu now does 99.9% of all my computer needs. I would get rid of Windows completely if it weren't for ONE program. "PowerTab Editor". Guitar players... tell me there is an Open source equivalent out there some where!!!! Please!!!! I'd even go proprietory if it exists. Other than that.. I am basically all Linux here.

I'm a guitarist, but I never heard of Power Tab Editor. What is it and why do you need it?
All I need to play guitar is a guitar and I also need my fingernails being not too short. But maybe I need the Power Tab Editor too, just that I don't know it yet…

fancypiper
February 16th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I would get rid of Windows completely if it weren't for ONE program. "PowerTab Editor". Guitar players... tell me there is an Open source equivalent out there some where!!!! Please!!!! I'd even go proprietory if it exists. Other than that.. I am basically all Linux here.
Open Synaptic and search for "guitar tab".

Gnometab, kguitar, songwrite and tuxguitar looks as one or more of these might do what you want.

Darkoan
February 17th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Im a very newbie who been schackled to the MS yoke since forever, and I had enough - moved to Ubuntu 8.10.

After all my research I just couldnt get over the 'games' issue, as most people will tell you - not so much that there are no games on Linux (I have tried installing 3 to date and none of them have worked, but anyway), but I simply love the newer release games Farcry2, DOW etc, which work better/ only on Windows. So dual boot for me! Not having a friend explain stuff to me (and having to get info through the net) has been the biggest difficulty. Kudos to the Linux community though.

Have had so many issues with Ubuntu to date (games, graphics driver, work documents, videos), Im sure Ill solve them with time :-)??

Boaslad
February 17th, 2009, 05:21 AM
I'm a guitarist, but I never heard of Power Tab Editor. What is it and why do you need it?
All I need to play guitar is a guitar and I also need my fingernails being not too short. But maybe I need the Power Tab Editor too, just that I don't know it yet

PowerTab is a tablature notation program that lets you hear what the tab sounds like (sort of.. think MIDI sequencer..) As a song writer it helps me find harmonic and sympathetic chord and note structures for my music. I wouldn't say every one needs it... But I have come to depend on it a lot in the developmental stages. I am just hoping to find a program that matches it's abilities so I can break free of Windows for good.

Fancypiper--- thanks for the advice. I've tried most of those and am not yet satisfied with them.. Still on the hunt though... not giving up!:D

nour214
February 19th, 2009, 01:29 PM
i dvd that has all the iso's of each disk in one. and when i try it, it won't boot off the dvd.

oehi
February 20th, 2009, 12:53 AM
due I didn't manage to install two partitions at my notebook I killed xp 6 weeks ago. without regret and no bigger difficulties.

Many things changed, not everything is better. But there are no probs with daily business.
There are so many things to discover - I'm deeply impressed!

3 items are open:
-it's still impossible to play DVDs
-and mpeg Videos are flashing when compiz is activated.
-when unplugging power supply the notebook is switching off.

But thank you very much for the fantastic support in all these forums!!!

etdsbastar
February 20th, 2009, 03:44 AM
I had completely switched myself to ubuntu linux.

It is really great, flexible and amazing...

At the first, I thought It would be tough but I was totally wrong...

Its just like distilled water....

sensibleusername
February 21st, 2009, 01:06 AM
Thought I'd jump in and add to the tally.

I've switched to 8.10 via super Ubuntu as of the moment on all my systems. Including some friends systems that I've come close to. Coming from a hackintosh/osx86 environment as my system of choice I'm now glad that phase is over.

Ubuntu wins, without a doubt.

Pumalite
February 21st, 2009, 01:49 AM
I use Ubuntu, but also Sabayon. It's great
No Windows

kaixi
February 21st, 2009, 07:30 PM
Since I first tried Ubuntu last October, I've never gone back to Vista. Now it's the only OS installed in my hard drive. :)

r m h
February 22nd, 2009, 03:12 AM
I started dabbling with Linux back in the early `90s after a USENIX conference where Linus gave a presentation on this new thing he was working on.

I still have the burgundy red Red Hat 2.1 LiNUX (that's how it was spelled on the disc) kernel 1.2 CD that Digital Equipment Corporation was giving away free at that USENIX conference. DEC sponsored Linus early on for the 64 bit port of Linux to their Alpha processor. Da*n, that was a chip ahead of its time...

However, it wasn't until years later (about 1998) that I switched my main machine (laptop) over to Linux completely.

Today, the only Windows (XP) I run is in a very seldom booted virtual machine.

sgosnell
February 22nd, 2009, 05:16 AM
I still have Windows on an extra HD in my desktop, because I sometimes have to use it for some work stuff. Some of the web stuff I have to do can only be done using Windows and IE. I detest it, but IT gods won't switch from Windows, because that's all they know, and all they want to know. Other than that, I only have Ubuntu on my 2 laptops. I tried several different Linux distros, and kept coming back to Ubuntu.

txcrackers
February 22nd, 2009, 06:02 AM
Another one here with a decade - both at home and at work. The only time I have to touch Windows is at work and that's either done via remote desktop, or I've got an IT-sanctioned installation of XP in a virtual machine and an IT-sanctioned Office 2007 running in CrossOver when I need 'em.

As for gaming (which I do on an infrequent basis), the last few years have been relatively easy to manage: just don't buy brand-new games. For example, right before the end of the year, I got Valve's Orange Box. Because it's an "older game," Wine and/or CrossOver have caught up to the native Windows environment that the game was built for. (Beats the crud out of that time so long ago when I actually managed to get the original Half-Life to work! Pain!)

Oh, yeah, and my non-geek wife has been Windows-free for 8 years (she only needs to run Quicken '99, and that's mostly from habit and not wanting or needing anything else).

BigBig5
February 22nd, 2009, 06:21 AM
I don't use windows any more, but have games that only work on it that I can't play. I hate that, but I will wait till Win 7 comes out.

ethanay
February 22nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
i use Ubuntu 8.04 as my main OS, and dual boot with 64studio for real-time audio stuff

i don't do video games anymore at all (not even solitaire and the like)

64studio, midi sequencer, virtual instruments + an external midi keyboard replace video games for me :D i run a few Windows programs (Encore 4.5, Pianoteq) in Linux still.

for all of my non-music computer needs (web, e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, db, etc), 100% native linux works 100% fine for me.

ftr, this is all on a dell xps m1330 laptop.

i get about 4.5-5.5 hr battery life in Ubuntu these days (display low, wifi off, ~13-14 whr)

jsoellner
February 22nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
I have been using Windows for years... I work in IT for a job and due to budget constraints I've been installing more and more open source software for users at work.. OOo, GIMP etc. and everything seems to work really well. I tend to use any open source software myself at work first to learn it and trial it and I am loving it!

I decided to take the next step and install Linux as my primary OS on my new Dell Inspiron 1525 a few days ago, just to play around and sate my curiosity. My laptop came with Vista pre-installed (oddly, the 32-bit version).

After spending a little time choosing the right distro, I settled on Ubuntu Intrepid 64-bit - since Dell supply machines with Ubuntu pre-installed anyway, I thought I shouldn't have any problems.

The install was quick, easy and everything works brilliantly. From what I've seen so far, I much prefer Ubuntu to Windows. It's much faster and there are programs out there that allow me to do pretty much anything I want to do (even if I have to consult the forums every now and then to get something working).

I've since removed Vista and am solely using Ubuntu Linux on my laptop. Once I have learned a little more about Linux, I'll trial it on my own workstation at work and if all goes well, hopefully start rolling it out at work.

Loving the Linux, even though I'm still a beginner!

DonaldJ
February 22nd, 2009, 08:01 PM
I have!.. that's a big forsure.. Years ago I occasionally poked my surfing-nose into Linux forums once every few months, to read a little... And every month I'd get a few Linux Forum-update messages in my inbox.. but back then Linux was horribly complicated and scary... Most of the Linux forum threads were full of real scary-stuff, about the horrid problems getting things to work at all, especially in that "fedora monster".. so I just avoided it... Changing to Linux gave me the impression that I'd be putting myself into a meat grinder if I changed to Linux...

But a month ago, my hd running W2K got hit just too hard... The OS was hack-destroyed three-times in a week.. For several years, when I wrote posts that exposed the worst evils in this Culture, my posts, browsers, and/or the OS would suddenly crash a second or two after completing an extremely controversial statement.. even on a fresh W2K install... I tried literally all of the free AVS's and firewalls, and security softwares, and got me a wired-router, and bought a major FW and AVS, and still the hack-buggers got right through that stuff like it wasn't even there... I figured it was America Intel boys just "having some fun with a peasant"... I just couldn't find who was doing it.. though I came very close, but they quickly jumped a step ahead... I really tried to determine who was terrorizing me, so I published some real nasty-stuff, which brought the three little-demons out of their closets.. the big guns... "Yuk!"..

Enough was enough! so last month I decided to Hell with Windows, and surfed Linux, and bumped into Ubuntu, and clicked-up the download image for Ubuntu-7... But the moment the download began, the OS Crashed Hard...
I went back to the download, and again the OS crashed...
Four times in a row the OS crashed at the start of the Ubuntu download.. So I removed the hd, and installed one of the other hd's from the drawer full of clean-load hd's, and got the image download, made the CD, rebooted, It installed, and the dern thing kept on updating, and updating, and updating... "WhooH!"..
And Hey! it was 80% the same as W2K... "Oh Joy!".. There wasn't any "scary" in it.. an no hellish advertising, and no insane goofy logos, and no thht boot-splash, and no microsoft letters splattered all over the bludy place... is when I realized that it was the Windows forums that claimed Linux was "a scary bad thing"...
Windows seems like it's the leader in the religion-wars, each one claiming they own the throne, but each one never leaving the muck in the bottom of the barrel.. like the last bait-worm, in the bottom of the bait-can, screaming that it is god, and begging for a little moisture, and just a little shade from the hot sun, from the deaf fisherman...

The PC hasn't crashed since... I haven't had a single post, in progress, crash, even when it got to expose the nastiest crap happening in this crazy dying slavery-based culture... But a tiny thing happened that I didn't like, in a combo Linux/Windows link.. so I won't surf with my main Ubuntu hd anymore... I'll insert the old 40-gig hd into the box for surfing danger-zones, so if it gets messed with I won't suffer the grief of having to reinstall the 80-gigger anymore, because I don't like having snoops in my tower, reading over my shoulder, and controlling my PC.. "demons in my computer-room"... It makes me feel exposed, molested, assaulted, scathed, keel-hauled, lashed, attacked, mugged, raped, bitten, stabbed, stung...

Getting out of Windows was, for me, like escaping hell itself...

Windows was hell, trying to get drivers, and having to pay blood for every new good software.. and if I installed Windows with a copy of the install CD, and went into a microsoft website, suddenly the OS got destroyed... Over 30-times, I repaired a client's Windows box, with their own registered Windows install CD, and went into a microsoft website, and suddenly the OS got destroyed.. hours of work instantly destroyed, because they probably black-listed my IP...
I'm through with microsoft!.. I predict that the big-bully goes bankrupt 14.5 years from now, because it has bullied mankind so hard and long for money, Money, MONEY...

Linux will rip Window's claws from humanity, and will dominate the computer OS scene forever.. because Linux is based upon honesty, reality, and a brotherhood of mankind, even though a few Windows creeps are trying to harm Linux, pretending to be Linux people, but just vile-demons hiding behind a Linux mask, to prey off of the unwary and the meek... It's all they know... But Linux still stands miles tall beyond Windows, in honesty, dignity, respect, love, and reality, and Linux doesn't look like someone insane wrote it...

Windows OS is like the great Kraken taking down a ship.. but Linux is based upon good, which tastes bad to Krakens... There's no sweet-milk money-nipples dangling from Linux ship for the Kraken to suckle upon... It seem Windows is based upon squeezing money out of the masses, and squeezing, and squeezing, and skaweezing, till they are skaweezing blood, and then they'll skaweeze that little more, with a straw into your soul...

I got Ubuntu working, then packaged-up all the Windows CD's into an airtight double sealed plastic-container, and placed it in the shed between the bag of garden fertilizer and the bag of sheep manure.. Microsoft Window's new home...

When I first installed my new KDS flat-screen, I noticed something was missing... Then Oops! I set the screen-def to high as it gets, and lost the desktop, and had to reinstall the CRT screen to reset it.. not knowing what else to do.. then I reinstalled the flat screen, and realized the thing that was missing, was that the new screen wasn't trying to kill me with high level ems... It was like a breath of Fresh, like gaining a freedom from evil... Then I installed Ubuntu, and all the pain of computering just fell-off and away... It was like I had pulled a great vile demon-beast from off my back, pulled its claws out of my flesh, and released its byte to my throat's jugular, and tossed it into the shed, and gave the blood-sucking money-sucking vile little beast a new home between the fertilizer bag and the sheep manure bag...

If I had-have keyed this post in a Windows OS, it would have been crashed in the start of the third para.. Guaranteed!..
I am still amazed and relieved that this post didn't get crashed yet... But still save every minute, habitually... I guess I'm still a little "shell-shocked" from the vile Windows WW3 scene...
I'm sure I'll heal it out in time, now that I can switch-on the computer-desk and boot the tower, without sustaining that little cold-chill and ugly-shudder...

Tobi-fp
February 22nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
My main box has been windows free for 2+ years.

The only thing I thought I'd miss is a linux version of Quicken. I tried many things to compensate for this from win4lin to codeweavers.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, it was easier to site in front of OO spreadsheet and design a budget and financial tracking template. Which has been a lot easier for me to plan and track, and more personalized for me then quicken ever was. Online banking can be done from any browser in my case so that was never a need in Quicken for me, just a convienience.

The updide of that is Quicken has reverted to licensing tacktics and upgrades annually. (my sister still can not let go).

So in addition to being windows free, I've save about 3 upgrades of Quicken and Quicktax.

Once you make up your mind to see the computing world without windows, you will find a way to accomplish the same tasks.

Gaming may be a whole new ball game. (or obsession) :D

I think if you are 'thinking' about going windowless, you are ready, JUST DO IT and learn to have fun.

If you could help me get a install of Mathcad running in linux, i could make the complete switch

WatchingThePain
February 22nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
I was always into computers. One day I cleaned off this virus called windows and that's when I found Linux. What an emotional tale, someone should make a movie about it.

jack24
February 22nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
I started dual booting Ubuntu about 3 years ago. Eventually got rid of Windows because I didn't use it any more. I missed OneNote, but BasKet is a good replacement.

The only problems I have are with things like connecting to my mobile phone or MP3 player. I always get it working, but it takes some time. The software from the phone/player company never works with Linux (even when, for example, Sansa says the Fuze is Linux-compatible).

Someone always comes up with a good (sometimes better) Linux package for doing the same thing -- it just takes some time.

Now I have Ubuntu on my Desktop (home built) and my Sony Vaio VGN-SZ750N laptop. No problems with the Desktop. The laptop has a lot of Sony proprietary stuff on it, so it took a while to enable all of the features. It's pretty much there with Intrepid and the new 2.6.8 kernel

jack

jack

wolfyking2
February 22nd, 2009, 09:36 PM
Lol, I completely switched from windows 2008 to linux, without even knowing what linux or ubuntu was. Jeez, that was hell the first few weeks!:lolflag:

@jack You stole my name D:

cistun
February 23rd, 2009, 01:23 AM
i'm a die hard gamer too i was using winzort just to play football manager 2009 but i installed FM2009 with wine after struggling 2 months now i'm happy to play fm under ubuntu besides FM works better under linux

akg96
February 23rd, 2009, 02:30 AM
Completely in summer 2008. Big mis-take. I vacationed away from my linux IT guy. Here's the problems.

iPod doesn't work with Linux (with what I know about)!
Mozilla Firefox totally disappeared &...
NOTHING can be added: Error Message states "FAILED TO FETCH".
Copying my bookmarks & photos to a DVD is impossible for me to
find out how to do, esp. with absent Mozilla Firefox
Digital photo's are challenging to know what can be done.

I know only some of the basics - a steep learning curve!
I could use some or a lot of help with this. My HP laptop is still under warranty & I need to back up the favorites & send back to HP with multiple problems.
Got help? Thanx

Faolan84
February 23rd, 2009, 03:29 AM
I've been Microsoft free since 2001!
First distro was SuSE Professional 7.1
And I bought it at CompUSA

LeakyInkPen
February 23rd, 2009, 05:03 AM
I switched over on 1/1/09 from a dual boot XP to full time Ubuntu chewyness!

d0ida
February 23rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
I've been meaning to go all GNU/Linux for months now but kept running XP off and on for some games and a couple of video editing programs. When my PC died last week, I dug out my old laptop and updated Ubuntu to 8.10. It's a Celeron but it runs well and I'm getting everything set up just the way I like it. I forgot how much fun, variety and control there is. :D

auntiestacey
February 23rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
I completely switched my desktop to intrepid once I got world of warcraft and my nostromo n52 working.

My XP laptop still sits quietly on my desk with the power save light flashing. Eventually I will stop turning it on altogether, but I think that will make me sad.

Gramps
February 24th, 2009, 05:46 AM
I am now XP (windows) free. Today I just installed Jaunty on the last drive I had that was still running any form of Winders. It was starting to act up as Windows always does sooner or later, I didn't want it taking the other drives with it like it has done before.

Run down
Laptop - Intrepid - been running Ubuntu on it for 2 years now.

Wife's Laptop - Intrepid, she was pretty challenged with Windows, now she is getting pretty good, using it mainly for surfing and email. Been about a month now.

AMD 1.2 Ghz Athlon - Jaunty with ext4

AMD/64 - Jaunty AMD/64 desktop - this is the latest convert.

Still have one more sitting around but ti has an old copy of Suse on it that won't boot all the time any more. Might use it as a test system or maybe play with Ubuntu server on it.

There were a couple of things that kept me from doing this sooner. I did all (most) of my photo editing suing Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements for video editing. Never could get my mind into GIMP. I will either put XP in a virturalbox or get a version that will run under wine.

I also made lables with Avery Label maker and another one from Memorex I think, canidates for wine.

The other thing that I used XP for was to sync my wife's and mine iPods, rythmbox works fine for adding music to the iPods. There are others but so far I like rythmbox the best.

The next project will be to connect them all together with nfs and maybe nis.

Bye bye Windows, we'll miss you - NOT!!!!!!!!!

cybercookie72
February 24th, 2009, 06:20 AM
stumble'n and bubble'n my way through linux for 3 years now...
desktop is ubuntu and I use wine to run WOW
i also got a mac book pro

but I live for linux....there is sooo much stuff for me to mess up hehe
no really though...I think the thing I love about linux is the community

thanks guys for making it worth wild

67comet
February 24th, 2009, 11:19 AM
In 2001 I tried Red Hat 8, then in 2002 I tried JAMD Linux (Based on Red Hat 9) and within months of that I wasn't booting into Windows anymore, and haven't really looked back (Sept on my MacBook Pro I still dual boot between Ubuntu and Mac OS X).

My entire house is Linux now (mostly Ubuntu and Debian with a few Gentoo boxes for good measure). I run several servers with Ubuntu server and Debian, all of my desktop boxes are Ubuntu only, and my media computers are all (3) MythBuntu.

I <3 Linux basically.

Anxious Nut
February 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I've ditched XP since knew ubuntu/fedora which was in 2005 and i was happy, but I'm using that OS again, for school so that i can program in Visual Basic (they made me) and use Visual Studio! :(

pmlxuser
February 24th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Use 100% Ubuntu
HDD 120GB
Ram 1.5G

Not even a single windows partition... ;)
2 grown up for games
to advanced for any windows program

Regards ;)

cyclone5uk
February 25th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I have two computers, a reasonably new desktop (with a dual core processor, 2gigs of ram, decent Geforce graphics card etc) and a net book (Asus eee pc).

A couple of years ago I tried Slackware on an old computer and just got really confused and lost then gave up on it. Around October last year I started reading about Ubuntu in PC magazines and decided to try it out on my secondary spare Hard Disk. I liked it so much I shrank the Windows partition on my main disk and now dual boot Vista and Ubuntu. I then put Ubuntu EEE onto my EEE PC.

The reason I need to keep a version of Windows on my desktop is for Adobe Creative Suite. This is the main set of programs I use at work, and on the rare occasion I might be working from home or altering something to take to work the next morning I need access to Creative Suite. However, that is extremely rare and may only happen once in a couple of months.

I stopped using my PC for gaming over a year ago as I got tired of having to keep upgrading to be able to play new games to their fullest. Instead I just bought an Xbox 360.

So, if not for Creative Suite, Id be able to switch 100%!

kamolt
February 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
hey,
I have 3 computers, all of them are Linux only, one with suse 10.2 used as a mythtv server-recorder with three sat tuners. Another pc has ubuntu 8.10 and is mainly used as a mythtv front-end and is connected to a projector. My main computer is core i7 based and is used for the usual stuff plus a lot of encoding to h264. I am several months windows unchained now and I see no reason to go back. Good video editing software is the only thing that is lacking. Soon I'll give Cinerela another try.
I became a real Ubuntu adept. Under the dust I have a extremely old laptop with W2k and a floppy drive just in case of a barrier but the dust gets thicker every day.

pol666
February 25th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I have 2 computer, One has Linux only (Open Geu). And the mine has Ubuntu 70% and Windows.. for games, Guitar Rig, Photoshop, no more.

BrokenKingpin
February 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I have 3 computers. My desktop and server are running Linux, and my laptop is running WinXP. I am a computer programming and still have to write code for Windows, so I always keep a Windows partition around.

mask187
February 27th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I have been back and forth from ubuntu to winxp for some time I duel boot right now mostly for my wife's games and some of miner like domo and flyff once that's are fixed my windows partition is at least going to shrink and I recently fixed my mom's pc with ubuntu found it in the trash filled with viruses and such only problem is it has a cheap graphics card so it is stuck in 600x800 I think a little annoying I have used vista a little and its almost as if they tried to copy ubuntu's security but once you log in you have sudo all the time just have to click okay no password so no need to think but I think that is what windows is about you don't really need to think till you need to fix it.

poomalairaj
February 27th, 2009, 06:13 AM
For the first time I used linux when I was studying in college. At first using linux seemed very tough... So I swithched back to win xp. After getting my own computer, I tried couple of linux distros. Nothing satisfied me. (Perhaps I dont even know the basic linux commands.) Finally I found ubuntu and I completely switched to ubuntu on 2007. I am happy with ubuntu/linux. I can do all sorts of my day to day work with it. But still I am using windows xp in my office... (They dont allow me to install linux...) When I am in home, I am using only linux eventhough I have dual boot... (My friends use windows for some reason)

etdsbastar
February 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM
For the first time I used linux when I was studying in college. At first using linux seemed very tough... So I swithched back to win xp. After getting my own computer, I tried couple of linux distros. Nothing satisfied me. (Perhaps I dont even know the basic linux commands.) Finally I found ubuntu and I completely switched to ubuntu on 2007. I am happy with ubuntu/linux. I can do all sorts of my day to day work with it. But still I am using windows xp in my office... (They dont allow me to install linux...) When I am in home, I am using only linux eventhough I have dual boot... (My friends use windows for some reason)

Haven't you got some sort of problems ....

Will you please tell us the hardest problem ever got and the softest problem too...

Name change
February 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I did, twice :D...
First time was "unintentionally" as I thought I backed-up XP to another disk, but that didn't work so I was left with only Kubuntu...
But after awhile I decided to install XP back, mostly to get as much "money" (I did pay for it) out of it...
But recently I updated my XP to 7 and since then I'm not using Windows no more. I go check to see how 7 looks, but I'm 100% Kubuntu...
But if I'll have impulse for playing games that Wine dosen't support like total War series I'll use Windows again.
Just hope that my W7 key won't expire before that (though I do have another one LOL)...

etdsbastar
February 27th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I did, twice :D...
First time was "unintentionally" as I thought I backed-up XP to another disk, but that didn't work so I was left with only Kubuntu...
But after awhile I decided to install XP back, mostly to get as much "money" (I did pay for it) out of it...
But recently I updated my XP to 7 and since then I'm not using Windows no more. I go check to see how 7 looks, but I'm 100% Kubuntu...
But if I'll have impulse for playing games that Wine dosen't support like total War series I'll use Windows again.
Just hope that my W7 key won't expire before that (though I do have another one LOL)...

Nice...

kvarley
March 1st, 2009, 05:55 PM
I only use XP through a virtual machine for video editing software.

grazzt_85
March 1st, 2009, 06:54 PM
Using ubuntu almost a year... I knew nothing about linux, I just woke up a day, and installed it over windows.. From then I never returned xD, not even as a virtual machine, i was too exited to return to crappy windows :)

Unanimated
March 1st, 2009, 11:04 PM
I've been using Linux for almost a year. One day, I got curious and went to linux.com. I picked Ubuntu. I found a blank CD. I put Ubuntu on the CD. I installed Ubuntu. At first, I dual-booted, but then I just erased Windows completely as I already had everything I wanted (music, pictures, etc.) transferred from Windows when I installed Ubuntu. For a while, I got frustrated with Ubuntu, and branched out to Mandriva. I hated it. A lot. I tried OpenSUSE, and that didn't detect my hardware correctly - as in, white lines all over the screen, resolution wayyy too big for my monitor, etc. Now I'm with Kubuntu 8.10, no VM with Windows (although I've been thinking about making one again), and no dual boot. The only time I use Windows is when I'm using our upstairs computer or when I'm at school.

mamamia88
March 1st, 2009, 11:15 PM
i haven't completely switched but i use ubuntu 99.9% of the time booting into windows to watch sopcast and transfer pics i took on my phone to my pc

fantom_feltpen
March 1st, 2009, 11:26 PM
100% ubuntu. cant wait for Jaunty!!!

musicbuntu
March 2nd, 2009, 03:09 AM
100% ubuntu. cant wait for Jaunty!!!

Same here!

Actually, I've been using ubuntustudio on my HP Pavilion laptop.....
...and I'm still learning all the programs!

travelinman81
March 2nd, 2009, 04:07 AM
I am running Ubuntu Intrepid on my desktop, and sons desktop, Hardy LTS Server for my file, poxy, web, content filtering server. I have a new Intrepid box I am working on getting Myth going properly on GARR. And my 7 year old daughter is using Windows because I want her to be ahead of the curve at school, but she navigates my Ubuntu machine pretty well. I do have a Windows 7 virtual machine since its free for now and I need something to do my autocad homework on.. As far as buying Windows Licenses I haven't for a few years now.

Buddy's Pal
March 2nd, 2009, 04:29 AM
Just celebrated my Ubuntu anniversary! My only remaining connection to Windows is that I have MSOffice 2000 installed under Wine just in case some Office file from work doesn't play nice with OpenOffice.

I'm really lovin the freedom and speed.

pdcox
March 2nd, 2009, 04:39 AM
100 % ubuntu 8.04 waiting for 9.04
thinking on installing windows in a vm but after reading this thead i remembered how windows sucks

Frdbrkl
March 2nd, 2009, 06:00 AM
Dumped Winders on 2/15/09 after being borked by the MS beast for the last time....

I've been screwing around with Linux since the RH 6.5 days (even purchased the boxed set) but never took the dive. When RH went to subservience to corporate types (not blaming them, they have to eat too) I dropped them and played with various distros including Mandrake, Suse (til they sold),Debian, and Fedora. I discovered Ubuntu about a year ago, found it *VERY* friendly and easy to install. Played around with it here and there, but now I'm absolutely sold.

Yep. No more viruses, $$$ for BSOD's, or updating the updates to the updated updates....

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my testicles....

pdcox
March 2nd, 2009, 06:18 AM
for how long u use ubuntu

and1bskbl72
March 2nd, 2009, 06:53 AM
Sold for ubuntu.

It's free, fast, fun, easy, and you don't have to worry about having to return it within 30 days.

Windows is a conglomerate greedy beast organism looking to infect the world with multitudes of garbage and destruction.

pdcox
March 2nd, 2009, 07:34 AM
the one thing i hate is that computers normaly come with windows then a normal user learn how to use windows even do he sucks

k2t0f12d
March 2nd, 2009, 08:35 AM
I haven't yet. I think there was a Windows partition on my desktop computer. gParted reported that it had an NTFS filesystem on it, anyway. I wiped it for FreeBSD..so I still haven't completely switched yet. = P~

sharon.gmc
March 2nd, 2009, 09:26 AM
I am using Linux in my office but I still use Windows Vista at home.

FraggedLocust
March 2nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
I'm currently in the process of shrinking my windows partition so I can switch. I don't use windows for anything I can't use Ubuntu for. My only problem I'm having trouble finding an answer to is GRUB:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1084676

linuxape
March 2nd, 2009, 07:31 PM
I was using Win95, 98, Me, 2000 and finally XP for the last 13 years or so. In between I used MacOS 9, and then 10. But after trying out Ubuntu7.4 on my old desktop 233Mhz w/ 128Mb RAM I was amazed. Unfortunately in my T43p wireless wont work and I had to wait till Ubuntu8.10 release and I never looked back.

T43p has a well known "Post 2010" issue with new HDD (all HDD need an arcane firmware update) so I have to keep the old XP HDD in w/ Ubuntu8.10 on the Ultrabay. But for the last six months or so I have completely migrated to Linux and have never touched XP ever. I am so glad that I did that.

skuntbehavior
March 2nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
I have been toying with the idea of running Linux for years.

Since Red Hat actually.
Made the plunge with the latest version of Ubuntu, no regrets.
Could my install been a little more involved and thought out? Yes, but to not have to deal with buggy drivers or incompatibilites, I love this. Don't get me wrong, I have some things to work out, but I am a new user and for once I don't mind pouring over forums looking for answers, since I am learning.
I still have another XP machine, but I am not willing to let that one be transformed.

Not yet anyway.

Spif
March 2nd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Running Linux solely on my laptop, which I use mainly for school related work. It is working perfectly. OpenJDK, Eclipse, MySQL <3

On my home station I am running 8.04 and XP. I only boot up XP when a game comes out that I cannot get working in Wine - so far only one. Got World of Warcraft running better than it ever did on Windows and several hardware issues I had on XP are nowhere to be found when on Ubuntu. Overall very pleased with my setup.

thtrgremlin
March 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
I made a full commitment to dumping windows the night before the release of Vista. Had been using Ubuntu for the previous year, and debian for 3-4 years before that. I had become less and less dependent on "the windows way" for quite awhile, but I hung on, just in case. Now, I am done, happy, and don't look back.

I'll admit that it helped that WoW runs GREAT in Wine. Also, I think it was a combination of my learning curve, as well as the actual software getting a lot better.

Now that I have found Open Movie Editor, not to mention the latest version for Ubuntu (https://launchpad.net/~fabricesp/+archive/ppa), I have all my needs met. The one and ONLY thing I ever missed from windows was Adobe Premiere. I like Avidemux, but I miss the time line visual Premiere / Open Movie Editor gives.

Give your grandmother Ubuntu, a web cam, and Open Movie Editor and she will be posting all her vacations and bridge games on youtube by the end of the day.

ace15225
March 2nd, 2009, 08:35 PM
i have, only leave vista on the computer so my mom doesnt have to learn a new OS

GNUbee40
March 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Hi!

I installed Ubuntu on my Laptop 8 months ago.
At first the wireless adapter didn't work, then efter weeks of experimenting I got it to work. Then it stopped working again (after upgrading to Intrepid) and hasn't come back to life since.
Samba had already stopped working before that. Read in the Samba manual and various threads here, but could not figure out, what was wrong.
Now recently after Firefox update, Java stopped working. While trying to fix this, Firefox gave me this error message: "Something terrible just happenend. I don't know what to do, so i'll quit :("
After that Firefox is totally crippled. No Favorites, no buttons working, no browserhistory, no going back to the pages previously visited. Even though i removed it completely and reinstalled several time, the error doesnt get fixed.

I have been using Windows/MSDOS for ca. 18 years. It mostly works for me. Ubuntu is an interesting experiment, but so far it has cost me a big amount of learning and time, without providing the functionality I request from a PC.
A modern Laptop should be able to send a video signal to TV or Projector without to much of a hassle. One should be able to use Wireless, use Filesharing, and use Webbanking. Most of these functions either didn't work, or ceased working over time. Updating/upgrading in my experience is a major risk in Linux systems!
Even though I am always interested in finding out how things work inside my Computer, I have been unable to fix these problems without using major amounts of time I do not have.

I am THIS close to give up and install WINXP on my Laptop. Without my Windows Stationary PC I would be in trouble.

So for me a complete switch to Linux is very far ahead - if ever to happen.

mulligan.can
March 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
I have been using linux on and off for the last 6 or 7 years. At various points during that time period it has been my sole OS for a period of time till the niggles just got too much.

2006 I installed kubuntu and, imo, linux had finally reached the point where I could use it 100% as my sole OS. Then adobe lightroom came out and windows suddenly appeared as my primary for a while followed by a new laptop which had vista as default.

Vista + Lightroom kept me using windows for about 6 months before I finally decided not even lightroom was worth the hassle.

Waiting on bibble 5.0 to come out to see if I can even ditch vmware which I'm using for lightroom right now.

Yeah, basically, lightroom is the deal breaker for me. No linux app comes close. And don't mention digikam... It sux so hard its not funny. Seriously, who the hell came up with their method of tagging? When you have 20gb ++ of photos you end up with hundreds of different tags/keywords and digikam just can't cope with it.

Drellir
March 2nd, 2009, 09:07 PM
I'v been testing it for 3 - 4 months and I feel like I can't move and everything is to tight. But my computer has not once left me hanging og shut down suddenly. My Medion screen shows 800 x 600 resolution, my wireless card does somehow not work and etc. Hopefully this will all changes with lot of surfing on Ubuntu Forums with help from lot of different thread's.
I'v Totally thrown out my Windows, that's the only way for my to settel in comfortably.
:P
Drellir

VCoolio
March 2nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
I've used ubuntu for 16 months now, last 5 months with e17. It's slick, it's free and it works! Thank you, open source community! I still have XP in the Grub to check things like google chrome and to please the Dutch tax collectors' application :(. But that's the last Bill and M$ have heard from me.

RedSingularity
March 2nd, 2009, 10:56 PM
I have to say, i made the switch as well and i have never been happier with my PC!!!

Linux000
March 3rd, 2009, 02:26 AM
Made the switch ~10 weeks ago, after never having my wireless work here, I was surprised that it worked first try, remind me again why this isn't mainstream? Compared to XP, this is a Bugahti Veron and a Model T for speed.

bonnie.prc
March 3rd, 2009, 03:09 AM
i have completely severed the windows cords. my doc says it triggering seizure activity, i'm a total newbie to linux, i desperately need my printer but can't figure out how to hook up the new lexmark 3650 i just got. could sure use some help.

elvijs
March 3rd, 2009, 03:10 AM
I made the switch about 4 months ago. It's been a pain at times with updates breaking usability, software not working, etc., the excellent community helps a lot though.

dmizer
March 3rd, 2009, 03:14 AM
Hi!

I installed Ubuntu on my Laptop 8 months ago.
At first the wireless adapter didn't work, then efter weeks of experimenting I got it to work. Then it stopped working again (after upgrading to Intrepid) and hasn't come back to life since.
Samba had already stopped working before that. Read in the Samba manual and various threads here, but could not figure out, what was wrong.
Now recently after Firefox update, Java stopped working. While trying to fix this, Firefox gave me this error message: "Something terrible just happenend. I don't know what to do, so i'll quit :("
After that Firefox is totally crippled. No Favorites, no buttons working, no browserhistory, no going back to the pages previously visited. Even though i removed it completely and reinstalled several time, the error doesnt get fixed.

I have been using Windows/MSDOS for ca. 18 years. It mostly works for me. Ubuntu is an interesting experiment, but so far it has cost me a big amount of learning and time, without providing the functionality I request from a PC.
A modern Laptop should be able to send a video signal to TV or Projector without to much of a hassle. One should be able to use Wireless, use Filesharing, and use Webbanking. Most of these functions either didn't work, or ceased working over time. Updating/upgrading in my experience is a major risk in Linux systems!
Even though I am always interested in finding out how things work inside my Computer, I have been unable to fix these problems without using major amounts of time I do not have.

I am THIS close to give up and install WINXP on my Laptop. Without my Windows Stationary PC I would be in trouble.

So for me a complete switch to Linux is very far ahead - if ever to happen.

You spent ca. 18 years learning Windows. How long have you spent learning Ubuntu? I understand that it's taking your time to learn how to make things work, but if you compare it directly to the amount of time you've invested in Windows, it's nothing.

If you want stability in Ubuntu, stick with LTS like Hardy. Bleeding edge releases like Ibex and Jaunty are for people who are willing to live with frequent breakage.

k2t0f12d
March 3rd, 2009, 03:57 AM
So for me a complete switch to Linux is very far ahead - if ever to happen.You spent ca. 18 years learning Windows. How long have you spent learning Ubuntu? I understand that it's taking your time to learn how to make things work, but if you compare it directly to the amount of time you've invested in Windows, it's nothing.

Also bear in mind that hardware difficulties that you have are not unique to Ubuntu or any other GNU+Linux system. For anyone who has taken disparate hardware and Windows installation media and tried to get a working system, you will often find the same problems getting little things up and running. Only when it comes preinstalled has it been vetted for you by your vendor. Some things aren't possible on a GNU+Linux only because the manufacturer of the hardware refuses to or is legally constrained from releasing specifications.

majoorpa
March 3rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
The only thing which is preventing me to completely switch is a lack of a stable voice chat client. I not attracted to skype as it is a voip client which is restricted in some countries. Becoz of that we are restricted to using the other operating system.

Azyx
March 3rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
Have winDOS on one virtual machine. don't feel good but I need sometimes some programs that not exist in other than windos.

IsmailBhai
March 6th, 2009, 06:32 AM
for the past few months, i've been using ubuntu and did not even boot up into windows.

k2t0f12d
March 6th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Windows? Isn't that what you call the split view in Emacs when you hit C-x and a number?

Azyx
March 6th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Windows? Isn't that what you call the split view in Emacs when you hit C-x and a number?

Correct, but very many misspell it. The real name is MS-WinDos.

grungedoobie
March 6th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Hey all, here's my experience with Linux.

I switched completely to Linux almost 2 1/2 years ago after having used Microsoft products since the late 1980's. Not out of necessity, but out of pure disgust for the way Microsoft has behaved towards everybody through the years. Granted, their antics can be chalked up to the price of big business, but does it have to smell so much like big business? Anyways, enough of that. I spent so many years being angry with them, and now, with Linux, I've finally gotten myself away from that mess.

My first Linux build took almost three weeks to make the computer stable using KUbuntu Feisty Fawn. It is an old 550Mhz Pentium computer and now that Feisty has been removed from the Linux Repo's, I can't use the computer anymore. ( If anyone knows a hard core old school computer group that still maintains secure working repositories for the old Feisty, I sure would love to get that one running again. It's a great computer for the kids to play and learn with. )

Ok, the Feisty repositories were shut down, so I was without a computer for a while. I had tried a number of other Linux installs that claimed to be "Perfect For That Old Computer!". Yeah right, in who's nightmare? Oh, dern, that would be mine. There was one install that showed promise called "PuppyLinux", but they don't have much support. Oh, and another called "Dern Small Linux" wheeheeeee, good luck teaching a kid how to use that one.

Ok, new computer. I baught a refurbished "not gonna say their name" computer really cheap. What I got was a refurbished el'cheapo junker. But it has a really big heart, and that's what I was interested in.

It's a 2.2GHz AMD Phenom 9500 Quad on a Chinese made knockoff of an MSI NVidia mobo. This thing had major heat problems when I got it, and when the cpu fan went, I called manufact to get info and they kept hanging up on me. I had purchased the extended warrantee! I ended up phoning the seller and they explained what the maker was not willing to admit. The extended warranty covers all parts, but to make a claim, you have to ship the entire thing back to them and they would refund the current worth of the box. How's that for kicks? Right in the throat!

So, I put the parts in a bigger box, directed air flow over the hard drives and got a 45$ cpu fan (Ruby Orb Baby!) to replace the 5$ thing they had in there.

Ok, through all this gump with the new computer, It's a 64-bit QUAD-CORE!! The makers put vista 32 bit on it, installed 3GB RAM @ 677MHz and told everybody that the mobo wasn't capable of handling any more. HOGWASH!! And to reiderate, it had heat troubles way before I did any upgrades. Turns out, "ACPI" on the mobo seems to be partially fried or just not working. The ACPI Layer says that all temperatures are 40C whether at bootup of at overheat forced shutdown. Yeah right 40C!! In who's nightmare!! Oh yeah, that would be mine again. I got a linux prog that talks directly to the thermal junctions to get a true reading. That output goes to a fan-control script which keeps things nice and cool.

I'm currently running KUbuntu Hardy 64-bit with 8GB RAM @ 800MHz. Somebody Kiss Me!! This thing runs super sweet!!

I have had no luck running Intrepid (Post Release) or Jaunty (Pre Release). The guys at Linux says it's NVidia, the guys at NVidia says it's OpenGL and the guys at OpenGL says "Say What!!!". Doesn't that sound more like a Microsoft board meeting?

Perhaps there's just a lot of us out there with this mobo setup and we're all kicked in the throat.

I won't go back to Windows. And if the Linux guys shut down Hardy like they did Feisty, I'll just quit bothering with it all together.

And now for a really long summation.

Things that I miss about windows: Super easy point and click the monkey in the corner can do it.

Things that I don't miss about windows: The Lies. Broken peices of hacked up malware sold to the public as "The Real McCoy" The unexplained screens of death. The "Your computer just can't handle it" attitude. All the garbage that comes into your computer and never gets deleted because windows doesn't want you to so you have to hunt it down like a crime scene detective! Speaking of trash, the perpetually trashed package checksum they call "Registry". I'll stop there before this gets labeled "hate mail".

Things I like about Linux: It just plain works. I have made working installs of Linux on about a dozen computers for friends and family (Laptops and Desktops and Servers oh my!).

Things I'm not that keen on Linux: You have to know what you're doing or it won't work. The monkey in the corner messed it up. Oh... wait... that would be me again. TeeHee

You guys keep it real,

The Grunge

ranch hand
March 6th, 2009, 06:32 PM
grungedoobie;
I have not tried it yet myself, just burned the CD, but I would try Xubuntu on that older machine.

I think that the newwer releases should work on your machine.

Chame_Wizard
March 6th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I completely switched,when I installed Intrepid Ibex.

grungedoobie
March 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Thank you Ranch Hand for your help. I've tried those routes. All of them, I think, lol. It's just that once the communities progressed past the Feisty desktop, the GUI's just got too heavy for the little old machine.

When that happened, it started shutting down "unnecessary" resources like audio and usb just to try to keep up with simple web surfing. And I'm not talking about super clicking either.

For comparison, Feisty made the computer run better than it did with Win98. Anything heavier makes it run much slower than Win98. I don't think it ever did completely crash, but it got so slow you might as well crash it yourself as to wait the unknown number of hours for it to catch up.

Short Story:
My youngest brother came over for a visit. He noticed the computer running, and asked to use it. ( This was after the Feisty closed. ) I said "Sure thing." He opened up firefox and waited for it to open. He called up a web site. ( I don't recall what it was. ) Then he waited a while. He gave up waiting, and closed firefox. He then waited a while longer. He was much more patient than I am. The system was so bogged down that it wouldn't close the web app after waiting 10 minutes. He laughed, and said, "Yup, runs a lot better than Windows 98 did!" He and his wife have tried to talk me out of Linux ever since.

Anyways, I'm not worried about it. Would be nice to have it running for the kids, but then again mine works too, and I don't mind sharing it a little. They're just not allowed to take the keyboard or mouse off of the desk. :P

Thank you for the help. Perhaps I'll try again some time.

The Grunge. :popcorn:

RichardCain
March 7th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I was forced to abandon windows after Vista took over my hard drive and then fell over. I'd researched Linux before and was seriously considering Ubuntu, but that was as far as it went - until my laptop refused to start up when I was on a ship in the middle of the Caspian Sea!
One of the Engineers downloaded a Vista recovery disc (thanks to satellite broadband) but even that wouldn't work. After downloading an Ubuntu disc I was able to reboot running off the CD, rescue all my personal stuff onto an external hard-drive, then re-format and install Ubuntu properly.
I'm now running Hardy full-time and, apart from a few minor teething problems, its going swimmingly.
The main problem at the moment is that the Synaptic Package Manager takes ages to download codecs etc. - speeds of 200 B/s are common. It's not to do with the internet link, because the browser works fine. Is the server at the other end overloaded??
That said, I won't be going back to the other system if I can really really help it.

grungedoobie
March 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
RichardCain quoth:

"I'm now running Hardy full-time and, apart from a few minor teething problems, its going swimmingly.
The main problem at the moment is that the Synaptic Package Manager takes ages to download codecs etc. - speeds of 200 B/s are common. It's not to do with the internet link, because the browser works fine. Is the server at the other end overloaded??"

I agree 110% with using Hardy. I've had no difficulties with the system aside from a few Hardware "Hick-ups" that not even the Linux communities could have prepared for. (I.E. my acpi gives false info.)

As for the download speeds. It depends on when and which repository you're connected to. I don't have my updater set to automatic. For one main reason. More and more people are taking interest in Linux. That means there are more people updating their computers via Linux repositories. I like to wait a bit before updating so that I don't add to the initial rush of traffic, and I also get better download speeds for it.

If you know where your ship up-links to, you may find a closer repository. Something to look into if you have the time. The following link seems to have some good info on how to use the repositories.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

Use caution when managing repositories, they can get messed up pretty easily. They can be very difficult to fix.

Hope I'm not too far off base with the reply.

"Computing should be enjoyable :)"

The Grunge

bobman
March 7th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I used to teeter between Ubuntu and Xp, then Xp took a dump lately. Even the startup disk would not load, yet every other OS imaginable would still load. Now, I do not have XP to fall back on, so it's Linux now 100%. I had a few issue to work through to get everything working (Backlight not turning off on suspend, printer drivers, creative zen player issues, logging bandwidth usage since mine is restricted, etc...) I think that everything is now covered. I'm on a laptop so gaming isn't an issue.

fela
March 8th, 2009, 01:30 AM
grungedoobie;
I have not tried it yet myself, just burned the CD, but I would try Xubuntu on that older machine.

I think that the newwer releases should work on your machine.

I don't think that the newer releases have much higher if at all different system requirements. The guys developing Ubuntu (stress the 'U' cause Kubuntu is the opposite for me) seem to be very good at keeping the system nice and clean, not too bloated. Well, Ubuntu is alot more bloated than lots of the Linux distros out there, but it's still quite clean when you compare it to stuff like windoze.

ranch hand
March 8th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I have hardy on the box in town that was given to us. It was purchased by those folks in 02.

HP something, 200MHZ CPU, 512 Ram (it had 128, DIMM that small is CHEAP) and a blown 5G HDD. I had a good 10G HDD. It runs a lot slower than this box but it runs fine as long as I don't have the system monitor set for less than 5 second intervals. I forget what the video stuff is on it but it is not something that is around any more.

RichardCain
March 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks, Grunge.
By going to System/Administration/Software Sources I was able to pick the repository. It was already set to the one closest to me, but that was definitely not the fastest. By playing around between a few of them I've managed to get some better speeds.
My one remaining stumbling block is not being able to sync my WM6 PDA, but from looking around these forums (fora?) it seems to be a common problem still awaiting a solution.

Von-Dyke
March 8th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I still have an XP Partition, but then i only installed Ubuntu a week ago; and i find it easier to have an XP Partition for LAN Gaming.

other guy
March 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Something I just realized.

I been using Ubuntu since 6.04 full time. I switched two months before 6.10 came out. Never gave it much thought until asked, how long I was on Linux full time.

Dug up an old 5.10 ISO that i had on a media storage drive. Still looking for an older version that I might have. I haven't installed any other OS besides Linux on my personal machines since I switched full time back on the 6.04.

beno1990
March 8th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I use Ubuntu on all of my desktop systems, and Debian on my two servers.

However, I have other operating systems (including Windows XP, FreeBSD, Fedora, etc) installed in virtual machines.

chris.olive
March 8th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I switched to Ubuntu Hardy after trying Suse 10.1 bought in Australia with a handy little 'how to' book did not get on with it, but liked the idea so tried Heron liked it and dumped windows now have Intrepid.
BUT I do miss WMP and the ease of WI-Fi connection.
Chris

bailbath
March 8th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Been using Linux for about 8 years good old Knoppix got me started completely switched to suse about 5 years ago and then pclinuxos and finally Ubuntu. Always used KDE then saw the light with Gnome!
Ian

jdunn
March 8th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I've been using Linux for about 9 years. I started out using Mandrake, then Suse, Gentoo, Kubuntu and now Ubuntu. I have Vista as dual boot on the laptop because it came pre-installed...but I rarely ever use it.

capnthommo
March 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM
hi there
i thought i would need to go with a dual boot first off, cos of using ipod and BBC iplayer for radio progs. but after using ubuntu for about 2 weeks i thought 'the flip with it' and i have been clean ever since.
of course, the family desk top still has xp so if i lose it i can always get a quick fix of windows, but i think that is unlikely to happen (at least from choice anyway) cos i believe in the way of the penguin
cheers folks
:guitar:

guraknugen
March 8th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Something I just realized.

I been using Ubuntu since 6.04 full time. I switched two months before 6.10 came out. Never gave it much thought until asked, how long I was on Linux full time.

Dug up an old 5.10 ISO that i had on a media storage drive. Still looking for an older version that I might have. I haven't installed any other OS besides Linux on my personal machines since I switched full time back on the 6.04.

Was there a 6.04? I thought it was 6.06 (LTS).

other guy
March 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Was there a 6.04? I thought it was 6.06 (LTS).
I pulled the disk out of storage. I booted it up on a spare machine to check. uname -a shows me 2.6.15-26, Which is in fact 6.06 LTS.

Yes, it was very nostalgic. ;) Yes, you are very correct. Wonder why I wrote 6.04 on the disc... Silly me.

lol Firefox 1.5.0.5

dlobo
March 8th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I switched to Ubuntu in April 2007, after an XP upgraded ruined my HD. Fortunately, Dell replaced it with a new HD which got corrupted again while upgrading XP. So a co-worker of mine told me about Ubuntu, I made a 30GB partition and installed 7.04 on it. Then I upgraded to 7.10 and enlarged the Ubuntu partition to 60GB and only 30GB for XP. Since then I haven't used Windows again, so now my entire HD is Ubuntu.
I still keep a VMWare image running XP for some specific business situations like webex meetings, which I haven't figured how to work completely on Ubuntu.
Switching to Ubuntu is one of the best decisions I have made in my life.

dmlobo

gilhooley
March 9th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I can't switch completely. There are a number of apps which I need that are only available on windows, although I do most of my work using a Win2K VM sat on top of my CentOS box using VirtualBox.

Vince4Amy
March 9th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Even after using Linux for 8 years I still keep Windows around because I still use Windows for games, doesn't bother me, I don't have a problem with Windows, I think it's a good OS to be honest.

grungedoobie
March 9th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Thank you Ranch Hand and Fela,

I'll give it a go again. Seems silly to me for the computer to be just sitting there. I may have used the wrong Xubuntu disk when I tried it on that one, so I'll give it another go.

-----

Glad to have been a help RichardCain,

I've run into similar problems with MS controlled devices. I have a video converter that's not usable to me because it uses an MS - Only coding. My dad uses Linux also, and he got a ZUNE for Christmas. He can't use it because MS didn't allow for a back door on it's kernel. Speaking of, I'll be installing windows by dual-boot on his computer tomorrow so that he can play with it.

The Grunge :grin:

Look at all those smileys!! Which one to use?

okamishadow
March 9th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Well. I use win systems very much in the past... I discover Linux in a radio program 10 years ago ans since then I promise my self be a free OS user. Lately, in 2005 I start to look for linux magazines... I found the mandrake 7.0, I was son impressed for the system performance... I has a pentium celeron with 4 G HD and 128 M Ram, no sound or video card... And the Mandrake let's me see the power of my machine!!

I've used openSUSE 10 and later I discover Ubuntu... I start with the Dapper and then I decide use more often Ubuntu. I must to switch to Win for some years more bcs some usage issues [the printer a Lexmark z500, with the Mandrake I must leard to compile a driver, was though!], and a few weeks I return to the Good Path with the Dapper again... I decide back up everything and update my dapper once installed... Now I'm happy with the Intrepid, I have some issues at the session starts but nothing special, and I always recommend LINUX... Ubuntu... PS: I love Ubuntu and Linux off course!! ciao, be free

mamamia88
March 10th, 2009, 03:53 AM
wiped out windows partition today just installed it in virtualbox for the occasional use probably won't use it until i save up for a gaming pc

linnuxnub
March 10th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Got rid of that old windows last August, installed Ubuntu and that was the end of it. I've been using Ubuntu ever since and never looked back.

Billbrasky7718
March 10th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Not that i know anything but i run ubuntu on an 80 gig external hard drive, and use it as my primary operating system for surfing the internet and downloading from torrent's i don't worry about limewire and use that to my advantage, then if anything needs to go on window's it is unpacked copyed to a memory stick and virus scanned before it even get's close to my internal drive almost seem's like the perfect system to me...

not that i know anything

josephd
March 10th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Im still yet to convert to Ubuntu. As im a webmaster and have to reply on .Net framework and other windows features.

Are there any other major compatibility problems with using a completly windows free environment ?

Are there any articles etc, explainging what the compatability problems that might occur and how to go about sorting them.. I really would love to get off the buggy, freezing up windows crap.

thanks in advance

EZEN
March 11th, 2009, 02:12 AM
100% Convert here. Laptop and file server.

My wife and sons still use "ms restart" so I still have a lot of things to fix 'round here :(

wolfen69
March 11th, 2009, 03:15 AM
i just recently re-introduced windows into my personal life. but before windows fanboys get excited, it's just to play 1 game. i even turned off networking in xp.

but i'll be the first to admit windows does games well. so be it. xp can be my "gameboy". for everything serious, it's linux.

Master_Odin
March 11th, 2009, 03:23 AM
As much as I want to, I do enjoy playing Warhammer and other games on Windows as they just generally run hassle free on Windows (as opposed to Linux). For everything else, I'll boot into Ubuntu. I seriously wish I could at least get hte Vista/Windows 7 version of solitare/hearts/etc. on Linux though. They look sooo nice! :P

psablo
March 12th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I'm not a gamer so I can't comment on that, but I've been exclusive to Ubuntu for about 6 months now and the only reason I run VirtualBox with WinXP is for AutoCad, but QCad is looking promising.

Lupi
March 12th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Aye!

I have dual booting: Linux Mint - Ubuntu. Soon it's gonna be triple booting: Mint - openSUSE - Ubuntu.

phaze_1
March 12th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I've completely made the switch a couple of years ago and never looking back haha. As for games all about the wine I suppose ( it works good enough for now ) haha

twiz86
March 12th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I quit playing games for linux, that is how deeply in love with it i am. Who needs doom3 when you have tux racer

Hr_Birnbaum
March 12th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I have approx. two weeks ago. I liked the professional look of Ubuntu, and also, my Windows XP was getting very slow. I heard that Ubuntu was much more stable, however, my experiences so far have unfortunately been otherwise. I never had so many issues with Windows XP as I have with Ubuntu. Do I regret my complete switch? Not yet, but maybe later, especially if the problems don't get fixed soon! I have read threads about the flash problems that date back from July 2008!

RichardCain
March 12th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I'm celebrating 1 week windows-free! I've ironed out most of the teething problems already, thanks in the most part to folk on these forums. I'm not a gamer, so I've no need to go back. I'm liking what I've got and it does everything that the other system did (that I need anyway). I even allow myself a smug little snigger every time I hear someone mention viruses!
Viva Linux!!

RichardCain
March 12th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I'm celebrating 1 week windows-free! I've ironed out most of the teething problems already, thanks in the most part to folk on these forums. I'm not a gamer, so I've no need to go back. I'm liking what I've got and it does everything that the other system did (that I need anyway). I even allow myself a smug little snigger every time I hear someone mention viruses!
Viva Linux!!

RichardCain
March 12th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Why does this thing insist on posting my posts twice??

ranch hand
March 12th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I would say thatyou are double clicking.

You probably got a message that there was a time limit for making multi posts, waited and hit post again. Don't.

I am really good at that.

Jakadinho
March 12th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Im on linux for two years. I only use windows at work :D

ubudog
March 12th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I completely use linux now. I switched to linux in early 2007 and still using it. I am NEVER going back to windoze.

7mkgw7q
March 12th, 2009, 07:24 PM
-

TwiceOver
March 12th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Within my entire home network I have one WinXP VM that I keep around only for Microsoft Money.

Some day there will be a good Linux money management app, until then I'll have to keep Windows.

ubudog
March 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Windows is just so insecure,slow,can't get rid of internet explorer,and it's just terrible. So I have completely swithced to linux and I'm not going back. EVER!

sheshdd
March 12th, 2009, 09:30 PM
i switched to Ubuntu about a month ago..way better than windows,though i was using XpSP2 with blackbox,and that made it suck a little less,but man Ubuntu has almost everything and is way more stable.

r1ch
March 12th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I've tried Ubuntu 3 times over three years and kept having to fall back to Windows. Just about sticking now though. It's replaced windows on my laptop, and my desktop keeps a reasonable copy of XP for work related stuff.
The improvements in all linux flavours over the last few years has been huge! If the momentum keeps up then it's going to be a lot of fun playing around with Ubuntu in the future. Can't see me getting rid of Windows just yet though, too many work related apps rely on it.

kirenpillay
March 12th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I've made the switch for about two years now. I run Ubuntu Intrepid on my HP nx9420. I'm a developer and I feel like I have total control of my machine.

My desktop rig is a dual-boot. I have a windows partition for my games and Ubuntu 8.10 for the serious stuff. The only issue I have is getting my NVidia drivers working at the moment. Pity this is always an issue.

jpborjas
March 13th, 2009, 02:59 PM
After struggling with OpenSUSE and Fedora for a couple of months, I finally switch to Ubuntu on my work laptop (main system), about two years ago. This machine is a Dual boot with a 15 GB Windows partition that I very seldom use for Visio (can't make it work in Wine), and a not much else.

I have to say that I'm very happy with the fact that I don't need Windows at all, and that I can be productive in the office, with a reliable system (I'm in Professional Services for a Software company). However, I also have to say that the only thing that is still not up to par with Windows, is the a reliable email and calendar system, fully compatible with Exchange Server, and that you can depend on, as I have synchronization issues with the server that make me have to reinstall Ubuntu every 6 months to fix it (can't uninstall Evolution completely).

In my office, I have about 5 Ubuntu servers (32 and 64 bit), running VMWare, and it is very stable. There are 7 more co-workers that are (almost) Ubuntu only users. I also have an Ubuntu Web/DNS/email Server at home.

guraknugen
March 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM
100% Convert here. Laptop and file server.

My wife and sons still use "ms restart" so I still have a lot of things to fix 'round here :(

Well, don't… :biggrin:

Since I switched, I tell everyone who asks me about their Windows problems that I don't remember anything about Windows these days. And the truth is that I actually forgot a lot about it, and I'm very happy about that.

networm1230
March 13th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I stumbled across Linux when my wind xp crashed so I had to find a alternative source. so I installed Linux on my PC. I have only Linux OS on my PC scene 2-3 years. I do have Vista but I can't install it because the windows vista basic upgrade version I bot is an windows vista basic upgrade and it can't be installed with out windows XP.

NousChristou
March 13th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I would not have Windows in any shape or form (including Windows 7 which I am beta testing) if Nuance would make Dragon Naturally Speaking for Linux. I wrote to them and finally they replied that there simply is not enough requests, so I ask those who would like such a feature to write to Nuance and let them know how much it would increase their demographic user motif by programming Naturally Speaking to work with Linux. They would have a corner on that and I for one, would be willing to pay for it.

It is an exercise in futility for them to make it for Windows which already has a very good speech recognition program and not for Linux which has none.

Ubuntu Rules!

tcoffeep
March 13th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I had completely switched over, and then I realized I paid too much for a shoddy laptop, when it died on me. Unfortunately, I'm currently stuck with a vista machine that I can't change OS on. As soon as I get my box resoldered, I'll be back to pure linux.

linuxisevolution
March 13th, 2009, 11:03 PM
i just recently re-introduced windows into my personal life. but before windows fanboys get excited, it's just to play 1 game. i even turned off networking in xp.

but i'll be the first to admit windows does games well. so be it. xp can be my "gameboy". for everything serious, it's linux.

Why not run a virtual machine?

Aries-Belgium
March 13th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I've been using Linux exclusively for about 4 or 5 years now and I never looked back at Windows. When I have to use Windows now it's always such a pain in the butt. The only thing I'm currently missing in Linux is Adobe Photoshop. I'm running PS CS2 in wine at the moment but it's not the same as native support. I experienced quite a few crashes when working on a 300dpi A2 image in Photoshop. I hope that Adobe will release a Linux version of Photoshop in the future.

Danw12
March 14th, 2009, 12:09 AM
there are 5 computers in my house, (3 are mine)

On My 3:

On PC one: Ubuntu Server 8.10
On PC two: Windows XP, Windows 7 BETA, Kubuntu 8.10
On My Laptop: Win XP & Ubuntu 8.10

Others Are Running XP & Vista

zarlon
March 14th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I am OS atheist. I use the OS that makes my task the easiest to do. I have used IBM mainframe's, Unix servers/workstations, linux servers/workstations and windows servers/workstations with a Apple Mac every now and then. Some examples of tasks to OS's are:
gaming windows
browsing firefox
email outlook
firewall debian
database linux and windows
media streaming boxee (ubuntu)
Home Lan Windows home server

Now before you linux fanboys get your bowels in an uproar read my first paragraph again.

At home I am running 6 desktops, 1 laptop and 1 lan server. The lan server is Windows Home Server because if is the easiest to set up and maintain & has a lot of automated functions for workstations. All six of the desktops are multiboot with each OS having it own hard drive. On these six I am running Windows (XP-SP2, Vista Ultimate 64, Windows server 2008 as a desktop), Linux (ubuntu, debian, fedora and Solaris x86) with one install of Apple leopard OS (not on apple hardware).

I am happy with what I have and only have one main knock against linux, get a standard set for the desktop, it is a pain to try to support multiple distros with all of the quirks.

Thank You and have a happy weekend, and no cross burning on my lawn ok.

mamamia88
March 14th, 2009, 01:01 AM
i have xp in vm

patchoro
March 14th, 2009, 01:05 AM
All daily essentials: Ubuntu.
Some work-related stuff: VirtualBox XP on Ubuntu
Gaming: sigh... still getting that fix on XP.
My pc life is a 90% Linux experience,10% MS for Games.

Give me some decent videopowah in a virtual machine and I'll kill my XP partition.

tsuchang
March 15th, 2009, 06:00 PM
me. im 63 and like it better than windoz.

babanner
March 15th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I have switched to Ubuntu three months ago. I still have Windows XP+Vista, but i do not use these.

I am programming with the help of PHP Designer- i run it with wine.

I don't play games, for some reason i feel sick,really, when i play.

Wanda
March 18th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I switched ovewr a month ago. My son had been exposed to it while he was in Spain, where it was widely used by young people with little $$. After about a month of him using it I decided to give it a try. It has been challenging, but I am determined to stay with it and not go back to XP.

I have had some problems but it is all a matter of becoming more and more familiar with it and where things are located and how they work and what they are used for. In a sense I am overwhelmed by it all, but I am so glad that this is here and it's mission is so true.

I am trying to get a friend to start to recomend it and get her to start learning it as well. :KS

Adler
March 18th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Wanda,

Wow, I've not seen so much enthusiasm in awhile. LOL!

I'm looking forward to the next Ubuntu release. I gave up M$ about 5 - 6 years ago.

Regards,

ruel-
March 18th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I'm using both, in fact, I like to try every single OS. I need to learn from them, you shouldn't hate other OS, saying that they suck means you don't understand them at all. Anyway, having experience in multiple OS is very essential, especially on jobs/studies. It helps you alot.

JackieChan
March 18th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I've found Kino to be a crappy crappy video editor, also my Sony Handy Cam is not supported on Linux. I need Windows for now, because I'm someone who vblogs, shoots films, uses high end video editing programs, and someone who needs to be able to edit videos for school and as part of a hobby. I don't see myself 'maining' Ubuntu until it allows me to be able to video edit like I can on Windows.

WA_Garrett
March 18th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I have recently installed Ubuntu, and I'm pretty impressed, I like it better than Windows. However Mac OS X is still my Main OS (I'm a big time multi-media junki). Over the next few years I might start using Linux for more and more things, but I think the thing that will be a major hurtle that would keep me from switching over is multi-media, Linux is pretty good with alot of stuff (Internet browsing, word processing) but when it comes down to video editing and all that stuff, it still has to cover some ground.

Adler
March 18th, 2009, 05:05 AM
WA_Garrett,

It does seem that the MAC rules with multi-media.

Regards,

hippocrat
March 18th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I've just deep-sixed Vista and loaded Ubuntu - seems a tad austere after the colourful bloat of Vista but I'm learning to like its simplicity and stability.

Hippocrat in the UK

sargeant dread
March 18th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I'm using both, in fact, I like to try every single OS. I need to learn from them, you shouldn't hate other OS, saying that they suck means you don't understand them at all. Anyway, having experience in multiple OS is very essential, especially on jobs/studies. It helps you alot.

I agree. When I get a powerful enough computer I'm going to have the Mac OS, Ubuntu (and all variations), and the latest windows (it will probably be windows 7 at that time) installed and running properly. That way I'll pretty much be bale to do whatever i want on my PC. Right now I just have a laptop so I'm sticking with my dual-booting of Vista and Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

jocheem67
March 18th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I'm using traktor and ableton live. For that I need Windows xp.
Games I don't play anymore, so that's okay, I can use ubuntu....

I have recently installed Ubuntu, and I'm pretty impressed, I like it better than Windows. However Mac OS X is still my Main OS (I'm a big time multi-media junki). Over the next few years I might start using Linux for more and more things, but I think the thing that will be a major hurtle that would keep me from switching over is multi-media, Linux is pretty good with alot of stuff (Internet browsing, word processing) but when it comes down to video editing and all that stuff, it still has to cover some ground.

When it comes to converting I think that the linux-tools are better than the windows-tools.
Ogg is a great lossy format, x264 is fully supported within ubuntu through for example Handbrake and Avidemux, Xvid through Avidemux too, dvd::rip is a nice tool...

Then there's mplayer/mencoder, transcode, and ffmpeg....all great CLI-tools, however all with a steep learningcurve.

However, I 've got no experience in editing video.....

Chainz
March 18th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I switched totally over a year ago! :D

... And I feel no sorrow, just freedom!

sect7
March 18th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I have OS X 10.4.11 on my Macbook and Xubuntu on here (older-not-so-great Compaq PC).

The only apps I use on my Mac that are exclusive to Mac are NodeBox (http://nodebox.net/code/index.php/Home) and Pixen (http://opensword.org/Pixen/). Shoebot is a Linux alternative for NodeBox, but I haven't really gotten used to using it yet, and I'm not sure if there's a good alternative for Pixen.

I guess if I get used to using Shoebot and find a good alternative for Pixen, then I'd install Xubuntu or something on my Macbook.

I have Photoshop, but I never use it a lot so I have no problem using GIMP as an alternative.

josephpmh
March 19th, 2009, 04:50 PM
OUr house has three PCs and three OSs (2 desktops; on laptop). My main PC is ubuntu. For business purposes (I provide IT support to SO/HOs), I need to remain familiar with Windoze OS's (xp, vista, Windoze Sever) for my clients. I often discuss w/ my clients the OS choices out there. The biggest block towards adopting Ubuntu Linux is often the fear of incompatibility with their clients' systems.

It's a slow process of showing them what's what. Sometimes getting the client hooked on open source with Firefox or Chrome or OpenOffice3 as a gateway app. Most people don't know that there are options out there. When they learn there are, they're reluctant to change too fast. In six months, I've had one client switch from Vista (go figure) to Ubuntu.

I should say that I'm not anti-Windoze. Like Unbuntu, the OS's work (altho' it was my experience w/ Vista that pushed me to Ubuntu). And, like Ubuntu, they aren't perfect. (That's why we have this wonderful community here!) The difference is your have to pay for Windoze imperfections, whereas a problem with Ubuntu is an opportunity to seek fixes and work-arounds on the Ubuntu forum. (The forum also is a practical example of the philosophy of Ubuntu, in which individual talent isn't used to lord it over others, but to share with each other to make a better tool for humans.) What's not to like.

-Joseph

We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right. --Nelson Mandela

Teabicky
March 19th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I've nearly completely swapped. I still use windows for itunes, but that's about it. I've been using ubuntu for less than a year too so I don't think i've done too bad. I do have the advantage of being a console gamer. I've never used a pc for gaming, I have a 360 and PS3 for that.

fela
March 19th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I've found Kino to be a crappy crappy video editor, also my Sony Handy Cam is not supported on Linux. I need Windows for now, because I'm someone who vblogs, shoots films, uses high end video editing programs, and someone who needs to be able to edit videos for school and as part of a hobby. I don't see myself 'maining' Ubuntu until it allows me to be able to video edit like I can on Windows.

You can try cinelerra, although compiling it can be a job if you're not particularly familiar with computers and how they work (in Linux especially). There are some easy to install packages, but they're not optimized for your platform unless you're very lucky.

And also: it's not 'it' that allows you to do whatever you want on Ubuntu, it's the effort of anyone that chooses to, and if you really wanted to, you could also contribute to that. With Ubuntu and Linux in general (plus any other open source software), you don't rely on a company to give out all the software, you rely on yourself and all the generous people out there (including many on the Ubuntu forums that have given me and others help, very kindly). So Linux is community maintained, not company-maintained.

fela
March 19th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I've nearly completely swapped. I still use windows for itunes, but that's about it. I've been using ubuntu for less than a year too so I don't think i've done too bad. I do have the advantage of being a console gamer. I've never used a pc for gaming, I have a 360 and PS3 for that.

What the hell can iTunes do that Amarok or Rhythmbox can't? Please tell me cause I could add it as a feature request on brainstorm.

So far I can think of one very useful feature that iTunes lacks: add to queue. Who could live without that?

There's one feature that iTunes has that I can think of that has any use whatsoever, and one that is just eye candy. They are Genius and the visualizer, respectively.

The reason I dual boot is for games and the creative suite 4 (although GIMP, Inkscape and Cinelerra seem to more than suffice for what I like doing). Not a piddly little music player!!!

TheUnderTaker
March 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I offically switched to linux completely last week. I only needed windows for some software to help me with my GED test but after i passed the GED i dumped windows. :D To celebrate me getting the GED i microwaved my windows install disk:D

TheUnderTaker
March 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I also used windows for a game called warrock but i got sick of it. I now only play Games on my xbox 360. I will still play urban terror or flightgear but right now i need to build a new computer after i had a power surge last month. Right now i am stuck with my netbook 1000HD.

Pc gaming IMO is to much money.

ssdt
March 19th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I have swiched because i had to throw out 2 of my old computers with windows because of junk virus. Then i got one with full ubuntu and 4 years of warrenty. Hope this one runs fine for a long time.

pointyblufish
March 19th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Almost there... if only I could find a Warning Forever clone. ;) Actually, I just haven't gotten around to clearing off the Windows partition.

Briton716
March 19th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I have completely switched to Linux, best decision I have ever made :D

rizzeh
March 19th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Only UT3 and Steam are holding me from 100%. There is still some hope left for UT3 and Steam in native linux... one day :P

dejan_PFC
March 19th, 2009, 10:16 PM
J clean up my computer from windows and now it works better :-)Ubuntu is the best.J'm from Macedonia and here nobody use Linux,but j start and j think is THE BEST !!!

ElSlunko
March 20th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I've completely switched! I mostly use PCs for general purposes + photography.

Teabicky
March 20th, 2009, 09:44 AM
What the hell can iTunes do that Amarok or Rhythmbox can't? Please tell me cause I could add it as a feature request on brainstorm.

I just use it for purchasing music and ripping cds into aac. For some reason if I rip a cd into aac with any of the linux programmes my Zen won't play them. As for purchasing music I do also use 7digital.com (which cuts out the need for windows), unfortunatly I get the same problem with my Zen. It will play mp3's from 7digital but not the acc format(even though they are drm free).

GuLRS
March 20th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I use only Linux. I dont have any reason to use windows.
Im an Engineer, and every software I use is also available to Linux.

Ms_Angel_D
March 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Recently I gave the computers in my home a complete overhaul and removed windows all together, I couldn't be happier :D!!!!

Speed Demon
March 20th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Completely switched over..... running Ubuntu Intrepid at the moment.

ezsit
March 20th, 2009, 08:35 PM
At work (right now) I am forced to use Windows 2000. At home I have two computers with Ubuntu/Xubuntu 8.10, one computer with Kubuntu 8.04, and one Windows XP system. The Windows XP computer is sitting in a closet collecting dust at the moment.

My living room computer has Kubuntu 8.04 and that is the main system that my daughter and I use daily. I have two Ubuntu 8.10 computers in my bedroom and those are really just used for experimenting with Linux. Soon they will have Ubuntu and Kubuntu 9.04. If that goes well, I'll switch the main computer to that version as well.

Koobi
March 20th, 2009, 09:30 PM
i've been using Ubuntu since late 2004, since then, i've always had an extra machine with Windows on it because i do a lot of audio production and i used to use Propellerhead Reason along with my Behringer UMX MIDI keyboard.

as of today, i've configured my MIDI keyboard to work with JACK and Rosegarden and a number of other audio software/synths and i also installed some Ubuntu Studio packaged along with the Real Time Linux Kernel for ultra low audio latency and i am now happily 100% Windows free :)

along with audio production, i was also a huge Adobe Photoshop fan before 2005 but i've grown accustomed to The GIMP.

i'm a PHP/Ruby developer by profession and i've worked as a Linux Admin...i'm studying for my RHCE.

i have to say, Linux has come a long way! i can run a recording studio without using Mac or Windows now! just linux.

koekjestrommel
March 20th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Installed it a day ago, so it would be wise to keep XP on it for quite some time :)

fela
March 20th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I just use it for purchasing music and ripping cds into aac. For some reason if I rip a cd into aac with any of the linux programmes my Zen won't play them. As for purchasing music I do also use 7digital.com (which cuts out the need for windows), unfortunatly I get the same problem with my Zen. It will play mp3's from 7digital but not the acc format(even though they are drm free).

You can buy music with Rhythmbox or Amarok (not sure about amarok actually).

What is this aac issue then? Aren't you gonna try and fix it? If it's too difficult to fix you can always just go with mp3, the widely accepted format. AAC was invented by Apple IIRC, and what goes with that is bad compatibility. iTunes probably puts some proprietary ***** in its AAC files that open source devs have no way of knowing how to use (because it's closed source). MP3, however, is not open source but much more compatible. I don't know why you're using AAC, why are you as a matter of fact? There is no advantage (but a disadvantage), as far as I can see.

MellonCollie
March 20th, 2009, 11:33 PM
AAC was invented by Apple IIRC

History

AAC was developed with the cooperation and contributions of companies including Fraunhofer IIS, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Dolby, Sony Corporation and Nokia, and was officially declared an international standard by the Moving Pictures Experts Group in April 1997.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding#History

Teabicky
March 21st, 2009, 01:24 PM
You can buy music with Rhythmbox or Amarok (not sure about amarok actually).

. I don't know why you're using AAC, why are you as a matter of fact? There is no advantage (but a disadvantage), as far as I can see.

As aac uses newer technology you get more information in a smaller size file, therefore giving you better quality without loss of memory. This difference is small but noticeable if played loudly on a decent sound system. I would ideally love to have all my music stored as a lossless file but this is an unrealistic aspiration for me at the moment (I have over 80gb of wma (urrgh) and mp3s). The wma format is also part of the reason I am doing this. Much of my music has been ripped from cd into wma via windows media player (at the time I did this I knew nothing of file formats!!). Because of this I am going through my favourite cds and re-ripping, I have chosen to do this in aac for the reasons above.

As for using itunes, I resisted until very recently. I have never had an ipod, even though they are the superior players, because I refused to be tied to exclusively using (a non drm free) itunes, as used to be the case. Now I have the choice of purchasing music via itunes that is drm free and plays on my zen. I still use other methods like amazon, play and 7digital and will look into the feature on rhythmbox too.

As for fixing (sorry for the long reply, but you did ask!) the problems that I have encountered with using aac purchased with 7digital (i.e. it is not recognised by my zen), I have looked for solutions and so far can't find anything that solves it and wouldn't know how to start fixing it myself without help (my computer skills/ knowledge are not very extensive, I work in an operating theatre so my only real experience with computers is self taught hobbying at home). This might sound lazy (because it is, I suppose) but I am sure that 7digital or zen will put a fix in an update at some point. I have made them aware of my problem, by the way.

In summary, using aac has been a pain in the back side for not a lot of benefit, but I am a sucker for punishment. As soon as there is a portable player that will hold my collection using lossless files I will start the process all over again. Hopefully this won't happen too soon.

dacorr
March 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM
home machine and server are linux, ubuntu and most tools i used for work are linux. my machines at work are linux except one that they make me use windows. I do have one machine with windows on it for games but that may change to a PS3.

kimda
March 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM
Desktop at home and work Ubuntu Jaunty. Both my servers run Debian stable. I only run Windows on Virtualbox for some programs that I really need and cannot be bothered to install under wine.

Electron
March 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM
He me,

Yeap! I switched to linux (finally), and I am not planing to go back. I left my Vista, Xp machines and now I am running Ubuntu, Mint, and Opensuse.

I got a few programs that only run in windows, but I don't want to use wine for that, so I just give up on them.

I 'feel good' to left M$, ohh yeah. I went to the extreme now, everytime that a friend of mine calls me to repair his/her windows box I suggested "format c:" and linux install :). I am telling them that windows is not good anymore and introduce them to the world of linux. Because of my attitute I have been losing clients but ... I don't care even when I am a MCP.

update: I getting rid of Suse due to the nasty deal with Novell/Microsoft

longtom
March 21st, 2009, 02:18 PM
Haven't made the total switch. Access files still keeping me in Windows (or OpenBox, which still, to me, is not "switched to Linux").

longtom

PS: some friends are hampered by the poor dial-up abilities.

bgs100
March 21st, 2009, 02:28 PM
Me. The only M$ products in the house are old CDs, and a Windows XP hardrive with a a fatal bug on it (one of the reasons I switched totally).

weather15
March 21st, 2009, 03:11 PM
I've tried to switch completely to Ubuntu but have not completely this is all because of my Ipod Touch which needs Itunes for the app store. Now I have my laptop with ubuntu and Desktop with windows Vista which I don't really like compared to XP but I get along.

Shukero
March 21st, 2009, 10:15 PM
I'm pretty sure you can get steam for linux, which means I might actually port over for good :D

ninjapirate89
March 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM
Only using Ubuntu Intrepid on my laptop but I must dual-boot xp on my desktop for my Zune software.

johnystevenson
March 21st, 2009, 11:01 PM
i am getting closer. I was dual booting on my latitude with xp but as i was spending all of my time in intrepid, i moved onto intrepid with xp on virtual box. It won't be long either before i remove virtualbox, pity some of my open learning software requires windows, but i will find the solution soon.
johny

psam3
March 21st, 2009, 11:56 PM
I was going to go completely Ubuntu but seriously, Windows 7 isn't that bad. I'd like to run them both, so I bought a second computer, one for each OS.

Skatertjah
March 22nd, 2009, 05:05 AM
I used to have one of those illegal installs of windows, we bought this computer of a friend so we didn't know it was... anyway, it started running into all kinds of problems so I started dual booting with ubuntu. I never used windows anymore from then so I got rid of it. No regrets:D

Joe McA
March 23rd, 2009, 04:26 AM
Windows was just too glitchy. Then a fire wall conflict when I downloaded a windows update shut my computer off. Reloaded windows but it was never the same. Have just gone completely to ubuntu on my 3 yr old dell and bought a laptop w/ ubuntu loaded on it. I'm learning but it is fun. I guess i'm just a contrarian at heart and also now my wife can't borrow my computer when her's goes down.http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

grungedoobie
March 23rd, 2009, 06:58 AM
I had posted a while back that I was going to dual boot a Dell with MS XP and Linux. Windows XP doesn't work on it even though its hardware is widely used. When that failed, I tried installing XP on my box which also has widely used hardware and it won't install on mine either.

Correction... It installs. Makes it to the second boot from the hard drive and then dies. Unexplained hard drive failure on all counts. Tried using IDE drives, SATA drives, and USB drives. All the exact same fail point. All the exact same drive failure error message. Used two SATA drives of different make (Maxtor 500G and Seagate 250G). Used two IDE drives of different make (Maxtor 10G and Seagate 40G). The USB drives were the same as the IDE with a USB/IDE adapter. Yes, the windows install cd and the hard drives have absolutely no problem booting up through the IDE, SATA, and USB ports. And yes, I tried installing with and without the additional hardware driver support files.

Was able to force Microsoft past its drive error on the Dell with the Maxtor 500G SATA and on the Gateway with the Seagate 40G IDE. The hardware drivers ran perfectly during the install, began failing after the first HDD boot, typically failed after the second hdd boot. After updating the drivers (yes, crosschecked to insure compatibility with hardware and with XP), only a couple of those worked as described.

The Hardware on both computers are not new and not the same. The companies that make the chips on both computers are not new and not the same. Both computers were made well within the MS XP era.

My personal thoughts on the experience: For whatever reason, MS seems to have black-listed some computers from being able to run properly with their operating systems (interesting how the computers run beautifully with Linux eh?). Q: Do I care? A: No. The computers affected seem to include a large number of the Dell Dimension Desktop 5** series and a number of the Gateway GT5***+ series.

I'll stop there as this is a follow-up, and NOT hate mail. Just the facts about my adventures in computer world.

Enjoy your computer! They're made to be fun! :D

The Grunge.

P.S. In case anybody is wondering, the windows install was being placed on empty XP partitioned and XP formatted drives by the same install CD one at a time without there being any other OS drive connected to the computer at the time of making the install. After the installs failed the drives were wiped and made ready for use as storage except for the 40G IDE drive which seems to have been bricked. Install was using an honest MS install disk with an honest Key that is not in use on any other computer in the world. The installs were separated but within an 8 day period of trial error and research.

To the mods: I know, I talk too much. There will be no more follow-ups to this. I apologize for any toes that may have been stepped on. This is a good thread and a wonderful place to share experiences and ideas. Thank you.

Adler
March 23rd, 2009, 07:28 AM
Hi All,

I am looking to go total Ubuntu when:

#1 - the last version didn't work on my notebook - crash after crash. The next... I do not want to replace my present perfectly functioning openSuSE 11.1 system to try something new.

#2 - I run Linux completely, I think the present mind set is to go commercial. I did that with SLED.

#3 - WiFi support doesn't exist. I run either cable or an ugly USB device. Not really friendly to show to family and friends. I've run a lot of 3-D videos going, but need that connecting going.

#4 - Who loves that brown Desktop. It scrams poor and nasty.

#5 - The Ubuntu community has become, with the various competing communities - too fragmented. You can follow Ubuntu authors, blogs, IRC chat forever.

Let's get back to the point.

We are more than a Desktop.

Show us your work!

inobe
March 23rd, 2009, 07:42 AM
to answer the topic title.

i have completely switched to linux.

"reason" someday you will know

grungedoobie
March 23rd, 2009, 07:49 AM
Adler,

You said, "The last version". Each version typically has three install option. They're: Alternate, I386, and 64-bit. Check hardware listings to see which on your laptop needs.

Perhaps these guys have the info you need:

http://www.linux.org/docs/beginner/platforms.html

There are a number of machines that don't have complete compatibility with Intrepid. Case in point is my box. All of the hardware is compatible with Intrepid, just not in my configuration. Perhaps dropping to Hardy will take care of those problems.

The looks of an OS tells others what you think of your computer. Some really like the look of the Ubuntu basic setup. However, all of that can be changed to suit your needs.

Perhaps these guys have the info you need:

http://www.gnome-look.org/http://www.gnome-look.org/

Or maybe you want a completely different desktop. Then, perhaps you might like Kubuntu. I prefer Kubuntu's desktop because it seems cheerier to me. All of that is just personal preference though.

As far as the Wi-Fi, you may need to hunt around for your particular laptop. I've installed linux on a number of laptops with Wi-Fi and only had minor difficulty with one of them. Of course, there was a help on a forum, and the fix was pretty simple.

Luck to you,

The Grunge.

infiter789
March 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
I only use winblows to Flight simulator X (I study aeronautics engineering).

And for adobe illustrator, photoshop and Europa universalis.

Always Ubuntu and when I want to play a flight simulator or design, I use Winblows.

spike_naples
March 23rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Ive switched to Ubuntu and I have gotten to play some windows games on it with ease.

Im happy with Ubuntu and especially with the free versions of Corsoover Windows and Crossover Games.

Adler
March 23rd, 2009, 05:39 PM
grungedoobie,

Thanks - I run another Linux distro, and as we all know - we have all our own issues. LOL!

When I switch to Ubuntu it does mean a lot - and I keep following this thread.

I'm sort of circling my wagons, and want to be bullet proof.

Thanks for that.

Regards,

JJMacey

GepettoBR
March 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
I use only Linux. I dont have any reason to use windows.
Im an Engineer, and every software I use is also available to Linux.

This is relevant to my interests. What do you use instead of AutoCAD?

cfree220
March 23rd, 2009, 05:51 PM
I still use Windows, but not by choice. Some of my classes require me to use programs that just won't run under Wine. I recently find out about virtualization, and it turns out that those programs run well in a virtualized environment. I'll probably keep my computer in dual boot, since I don't really need the extra space and my laptop has two power buttons (eliminating the need for boot managers).

In the future, I can definitely see myself using exclusively Linux. It will be the cheapest way for me to run a home server and multiple media center clients.

cfree220
March 23rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
That's actually really funny that I posted right below you on this forum.

foskco3
March 24th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I switched to linux completely...
I bought a vista computer, all the bugs and holes in security made me angry very quick.
And the fact that when vista wants to update it does it like it or not.
I turned off all automatic updates and everything.
So a friend of mine, his dad showed me Ubuntu and I've used it since.

Mike001977
March 24th, 2009, 11:44 AM
i switched completely to ubuntu and all run perfect ;).

I am gamer too but i spent too many hours in games so it is time to spend few hour to learn something.

Games i already played ( first and the most nice for me OBLIVION :) all COD 1-2-3-4-5, guthulu fun, half life 1-2, heat and lots more.
but now i cant play none of them :( i know soon or later if i havent find a way to run it i will install a windows copy somewhere in my hard disks but it is better to run Linux for all the other you do in the PC and return to win only for the games.

sideaway
March 24th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Well I haven't completely switched to Linux. Ubnfortunately I can't. I use too many programs that are windows exclusives. So my main box has stayed on windows, curretly running 4 os's though. Win 7 and Vista on my main box, Ubuntu and XP on my laptop - XP and Vista hardly get booted to. If I could get Auto CAD, matlab, maple, PS, CSS, DOW2 and FEAR 2 all running through WINE, I might consider switching, depending on performance of course.

But untill then, Windows has it's place on my machine.

arnov007
March 24th, 2009, 02:10 PM
We still have to access many third Party Softwares which are notr compatible in Linux. Hence we are forced to use Windows too.

Devilman13
March 26th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I changed over and don't really have much use for Windoze anymore. Nice that Id Software puts out native Linux versions of their games and development tools. :guitar:

wbee
March 26th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Not yet.

I still have XP Media Addition,sp3,up to date shared with 10.8

I have figured out how to get my Canon printer/scanner to work and to do everything I do with a computer---save one.

Still,the sound system, alsa and pulse and jack and how they mount and parallel and how you switch among those are beyond me,so far. When I figure out those,XP will be history.

rdumas
March 26th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I did the complete switch, erasing windows forever. I love it, I am free.
There are things that I have to learn in Ubuntu. I like to download torrents
and I am not sure if I can use my old torrentz search site like Torrentz, or mininova but I am willing to learn.
I am a patient nubee.
Since I made the switch, my system is really fast, and my hard drive is huge.
I would say to you go ahead, Ubuntu rocks!:)

opholdings
March 26th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Ubuntu saves time. No more scans and defrag nonsense. I have one Compaq machine that will not connect with wifi so I keep one copy of MS on it. I also use the MS system with Adobe. But with the time I save with Ubuntu I can afford to pay others to do the graphics.:popcorn:

Ubuntu = No Headache Operating System.

GepettoBR
March 26th, 2009, 03:57 PM
There are things that I have to learn in Ubuntu. I like to download torrents
and I am not sure if I can use my old torrentz search site like Torrentz, or mininova but I am willing to learn.

There's no difference in what websites you can access. Torrents work the same everywhere, you download a .torrent file and open it with a BT client. Yu can still use Torrentz, Mininova, The Pirate Bay and any other tracker. Ubuntu comes with the Transmission client preinstalled, but there are others as well, including two that are quite famous in Windows: Azureus is in the repos and uTorrent is optimized for Wine compatibility.

sandy8925
March 28th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I would love to move completely to Linux except that I have quite a few good games that I want to play. These games actually work pretty well in Wine except that they are slow (since my config is also slow but satisfies minimum rqts and I also use Compiz at the same time). Actually to play these games in Windows I stop lots of unnecessary services including networking services (11 processes disappeared for networking services alone) and then they worked sort of smoothly.

Yet another reason is that my family is too used to Windows.My brother especially is sceptical.

Andavane
March 28th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Here:
Completely switched
(except for the occasional borrow of a pal's Windows if there is a copyright issue)

mikebravo
March 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I have Linux and Win XP on a KVM switch. I am not a gamer. I use Linux 90% of the time. Might use Linux more if it were not for my Canon printer. There are some things that Windows just does better e.g. Adobe search a PDF in about 1/10 the time for Linux and work with my Logitech webcam.

guraknugen
March 28th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I have Linux and Win XP on a KVM switch. I am not a gamer. I use Linux 90% of the time. Might use Linux more if it were not for my Canon printer. There are some things that Windows just does better e.g. Adobe search a PDF in about 1/10 the time for Linux and work with my Logitech webcam.

If you are talking about Adobe Reader, it's available for Linux. You can find it in the Medibuntu non-free repository, ready to get installed.

GSF1200S
March 28th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Just built my dream computer, and its never seen a windows install disk. I am 100% switched over, including my laptop. No more dual booting, and no more crashing/wondering if its going to turn on.

jackfranklin
March 28th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I would if Photoshop would run with out an error about Memory Allocation :(

spike_naples
March 29th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

have always been a gamer than a computer user but sometimes we have to make sacrifices. I'm trying to learn the complexities of Wine, Cedega and Crossover so once I get to be more familiar I'd start gaming again - in Ubuntu!

I've totally switched and don't intend on going back.

WalkerInTheWoods
March 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I have been using Linux exclusively on my home computer for around 4 years. Now with 8.10 I feel comfortable telling others they can do the same.