PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

superman
February 23rd, 2008, 07:04 AM
I am 100% Windows Xp Free. Running Ubunutu on my Desktop and Opensuse on my Laptop. Even Partially converted a couple Friends to linux. hehehe. :-) Working on Some of the others. :-)

kooolrock
February 23rd, 2008, 10:13 AM
I completely use Ubuntu. To think, that I wasted time worrying about dual booting and how to erase Ubuntu, if it doesn't work for me, before installation, makes me laugh a lot.

I haven't "used" Windows in a long time, but it's still there.

Berean
February 23rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
I'm new to Ubuntu and was worried about not having a dual boot, so continued with XP and Linux. However, I inadvertently deleted the Windows partition (I know, don't ask!) and have found I'm learning quicker now that I am solely Ubuntu. Why didn't I do this earlier? I'm trying to now convert most of my work colleagues who have Windows problems!

tdrusk
February 23rd, 2008, 04:11 PM
My girlfriend barely uses a computer. She knows how, but hers runs XP and it is dying haha.

She is getting a laptop and I think I'm going to put Ubuntu on it just to save problems. So hopefully she will be 100% linux.

meborc
February 23rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
i bought a inspiron 1520 with a great deal from my local computer store... the bad thing was it came with vista... but the price was very good :)

so at first i thought i would see how vista runs, i have heard so many stories and i just wanted to try to see myself... ;) after about 2 weeks this laptop was 100% converted to linux

c2d 7250 (2GHz), 2G ram, 8600m GT 256, 1680x1050 reso... i just love this notebook

jjgomera
February 23rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
i knew gnu/linux on last february, i was probing some liveCD distros (ubuntu, debian, knoppix, mandriva), finally i install ubuntu about April (only ubuntu feisty recognice all hardware), with dual boot, but in June finally i say bye bye to windows :)

sir4taye
February 23rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
There's great programs for your palm stuff. evolution will manage your address book syncing and your planner will be run by another program, all with one sync. You should post a thread in General help and read some of the stuff posted about the palm tungsten.

genus_001
February 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
I have completely switched to Linux, and love it. When I first tried to switch back in '99, using Mandrake, I was still using a dial-up modem... getting the drivers for a winmodem required me to get on the internet and download them. It discouraged me. Now it is a lot easier and user friendly. i have since got all of my roommates and some of my family and friends to switch completely.

cardinals_fan
February 23rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
I am completely Linux - more Zenwalk than Ubuntu, and I'm trying Arch soon. My dad wants to switch, but he uses the Crystal Ball statistics program for work - and it's Windows only. Gaming isn't an issue for me, since my idea of a nice afternoon is Tetravex and Pychess...

Andavane
February 24th, 2008, 02:16 PM
There's great programs for your palm stuff. evolution will manage your address book syncing and your planner will be run by another program, all with one sync. You should post a thread in General help and read some of the stuff posted about the palm tungsten.
Yes Sir, but things do look tough for someone owning a Palm Treo
Regards
joh

bomanizer
February 24th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I've been using Linux on and off since 2004, starting with Fedora Core (can't remember the release, probably Fedora Core 2). I ditched Windows completely somewhere in last September, A) Ubuntu rocks, B) not gonna adapt to Vista and C) XP is a dying breed.

CaptainCabinet
February 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I fully made the move to Linux several months ago. I tried out Ubuntu with Windows XP still on my computer, loved it, used dban to wipe my hard drive clean, then installed Ubuntu for good. The only difference now is that i use Ubuntu Studio instead of the regular Ubuntu. :)

orb9220
February 24th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I keep trying to go 100% but no-go for me.

1) Video conversion and editing still way to immature for ease of use without alot of command line stuff. Yes I know the terminal is powerful. The problem? Well being in my second half-century I find problems with memory especially with cryptic command flags. They are about as intuitive as Alien Hieroglyphics.

If I have to keep a text file with all of them listed and then open and search for the command to paste into a terminal then how is it saving me time compared to a a GUI'ed application.

And video conversion I have tried them all. They still seem a mish-mash of simply GUI and command line. I need something simple as WinAvi to convert avi's to compliant DVD vob'
s.

2) Powerful Photo-editing and library functions. And no don't get me started on GIMP may be poweful but still missing critical photo-editing features and the GUI Sucks! there I said it.
Library like programs are still missing many powerful features that programs like ACDSee or Adobe Lightroom have which I need.

3) I still get a craving for FPS (offline) and Linux FPS games are ALWAYS online versions.
Have yet found a complete FPS that has solo episodes like Splinter Cell,Doom3,Farcry,etc..That I can play totally alone without the bother of online play.

I still keep searching and have been a ubuntu user for over a year and keep trying. Will try again in a couple of weeks with (Hardy?) dual boot setup.

Now when Video and Image programs get to a state like Amarok is then I will know "Bliss will be nearby!".

Cyberponcho
February 24th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I've been using Linux since 10 years or so, my desktop is windows-free since over 2 years but i still keep a windows network at home for my wife, mother in law and to play some games that i haven't got to work on Linux (yet!!) so i'm not completelly 'converted' to Linux, but it is definetly my main operating system :)

sprog
February 26th, 2008, 09:27 AM
3 (all) of our home computers on *buntu,

8 of family and neighbours on *buntu, cos I wouldn't fix Windows for them,

12 at local school on *buntu.

RJ Hythloday
February 26th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I gave away all my m$ sw! Building a friends kid an edubuntu box.

fela
February 26th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I've never, ever used any version of *******. ******* sucks. I have two macs and a PC. On one of the macs i have MacOS X 10.3.9 and MacOS 9.2, on the other Mac I have MacOS 10.5.2. On the PC I have Ubuntu 7.10 Linux kernel v2.6. I tried to install Ubuntu PPC on one of the Macs, but something was badly wrong (i.e. no graphics worked) i have yet to try the alternate installer for PPC but I have decided to keep only OS X on it, as it's a perfectly good OS at the core, pretty similar to Linux anyway. (for those who don't know, Mac OS X is just another BSD UNIX distro really) :)

PS. I can't replace OS X on the mac, as it's a shared comp and everyone else in my family uses OS X...but if i installed linux on it, i think i'd go with OpenSuSE or debian (as those are officially supported onthe PowerPC platform)

Iam138
February 26th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I'm getting there.Only 3 things holidng me back form doing away with Windows.

1. I don't game but I do overclock and benchmark and submit scores @ HWBOT including CPU-Z which won't work properly under wine along with many other benchmarks and validators.

2. nRAID (0,0+1,5) is a royal pain under Ubuntu.

3. My Lexmark all-in-one won't work with Ubuntu although I may just buy an HP soon. Then I'll only have 2 reasons.

L8erG8er
February 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM
100% Ubuntu on laptop, XP secondary system on desktop. Need ******* for some school software only.

tcpkid_82
February 27th, 2008, 12:10 AM
i use the ubuntu live cd rarely and only had it installed for 30 days.. im my opinion it needs improvement since 87% people use windows. even Wine does not correctly run all apps that windows does.. :popcorn:

rfurman24
February 27th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Windows free (at home) for almost 5 years. I rarely use wine. Unless you need specific commercial software I see no need for windows or wine. Linux almost always has a counterpart to the window version of any software. Most often I find the linux version to be better.

fetisha
February 27th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I have. I bought myself a new computer that my boyfriend built for me, and I installed Ubuntu. I don't use anything else at home.

prospero96
February 28th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Not completely since I can't find software to run my ancient parallel connected scanner, but I try to avoid Windows XP as far as possible.
I have Gutsy installed on a second HDD. It amazes me that I can access the three partitions on the primary drive through Linux, but the slave drive is completely invisible in Windows.
That's Microsoft, no change there then. :lolflag:

RJ Hythloday
February 28th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I gave away all my m$ sw! Building a friends kid an edubuntu box.
ordering parts to fix my old notebook that doesn't recognize the hdd to run on usb flash.

Ordering psu to put extra parts to use for socket a 1700 giving the kids 2 and leaving mine free!

sir4taye
February 28th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I reluctantly inform you that there's a program for m$ spyware that allows it to recognize thus read and write ext3. My reluctancy comes from the fact that using it will only allow you to gain ground with m$ and like some others have said, any program for m$ has a near equal if not superior counterpart in open source for linux. Use these forums to find what you need. I always get quick response to any needs or trouble shooting.
Search for ext2 software in google and you should be able to find the m$ app that will allow you to see those linux partitions from m$

arashiko28
February 28th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Another one here! From about 8 months now and looking forth to 8.04. Have used so far 7.04, 7.10 (currently), Cassandra Mint, DSL on my USB, Xubuntu 7.04 and 7.10 on another pc and currently teaching my family to use Linux and delete M$ forever!

One thing stops me to delete it from my laptop (though I never use it unless for like 30 mins every month or so). Is that in my university there's a wireless installation for the projectors and the program only runs on windows XP, nor vista nor mac. Tried with WINE, but couldn't do it. And I don't know why, but the projectors don't support my video configuration and I have messed up pretty badly Xorg trying to make it work. The projectors are all Dell MP1200.

Beside that, I use 24/7 Ubuntu unless I have a presentation.:lolflag:

drbob07
February 29th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I completely switched to Linux, against my will... I thought I was gonna have a nice dual-boot configuration, but I didn't :P

I had done some dual-boots before so I figured an install of Ubuntu Gutsy would go just peachy... didn't even have the normal gut-wrenching "I'm about to totally screw up my hard drive" feeling when I did a resize.

I rebooted, went into Ubuntu, everything was peachy... booted again, selected Windows XP... and now it hangs at "Disk read error occurred..."

The drive is readable, so I didn't lose 60 gigs of data, but I must say, this is the best thing that ever happened to me, in all honesty, I'm loving Ubuntu more than ever now that I have no choice (short of formatting my drive)

kathryn
February 29th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Hi everyone,

This thread hopefully attracts a few web designers.

There is a forum council meeting coming up next month [March 2008]. LaRoza has added the request for a web development sub-forum to the agenda, and will attend the meeting.

If you have an interest in web design (using Ubuntu), lend your support by voting in the poll (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=585863) associated with a similar thread. The council is more likely to approve the request if we can demonstrate a sufficient demand for the proposed sub-forum.

Apologies to anyone who has seen this post in a couple of other places... I think it's only fair that all relevant users are aware of the proposal and have a chance to contribute, in a timely manner.

stalkier
February 29th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I'm still using winXP as my primary OS because in Ubuntu I can't acces my 240 GB raid array. I don't think I will get it working. So I'm gonna lend some external harddisks and backup all my data. When that's done I will be using Ubuntu as my primary OS. I will keep a dual boot configuration for the time being.

I use Ubuntu as my primary OS and a custom XP pro build. I know illegal but I don't care to pay $160 for an old OS and Vista will not run very well on my old Athlon XP+ CPU. OS should be free anyways. hehehe. But seriously I am waiting for a stable release of the new linux operating system that claims to work with ALL XP apps. I believe this OS will be free as well.

I have been using Ubuntu off and on for years and really like the improvements over the years. Gusty really rocks with Compiz/Fusion and emerald installed. Runs nicely even on an older system. I would recommend a 1 gig DDR though.

wozzinator
February 29th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

Well as a college student living really far away from home, I didn't have any XP cd's in my apartment when I screwed up my dual boot by trying to install Mac OSx86, I decided to go ahead and fully install Ubuntu. I've been using it for about 3 months now and i'm not looking back at all. I use to game alot on my XP box, but since I don't have time for it anymore, Ubuntu meets my needs and then some as a Computer Engineering student. I probably won't ever reinstall Windows. I'd more than likely go to Mac OSX over Windows.

L815
February 29th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I've made Ubuntu my main OS, but still have Vista on dual boot (laptop built for it). Until Ubuntu kinks out some of the bugs, I'll then go 100% :)

uberlube
February 29th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I completely switched over to Linux about 3 months ago once I felt that I was becoming a fairly proficient user. Never looked back either. :lolflag:

hhhhhx
February 29th, 2008, 09:13 AM
last summer i switched completely ,said byby to windows, and installed ubuntu ( i was in way over my head then ) but somehow i managed and even got compiz up and running (after a couple of days).
But now i dual boot for games:cry:

my best time now is 1hr 37min to get ubuntu up with compiz :)

Vingummi
February 29th, 2008, 09:49 AM

100% Ubuntu now. Works very well thanks to the Ubuntu Community for the support for the most topics.

And about Gaming, Buy a Console instead. Vista is more business computer then gaming platform.

L815
February 29th, 2008, 10:28 AM
100% Ubuntu now. Works very well thanks to the Ubuntu Community for the support for the most topics.

And about Gaming, Buy a Console instead. Vista is more business computer then gaming platform.

+1 I totally agree :guitar:

Simon Bridge
February 29th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Hmmm... Vista primarily business? So, it come with a productivity suite does it?

Odd... last I looked, Office 2007 cost extra.
I thought that Vista was primarily a toy OS... emphasis on media (sales) and games. Though Vistas overhead must produce some additional latency surely?

Kratos
February 29th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I dual-boot Kubuntu and XP. Kubuntu is what I use for almost everything, but I still need Windows for my gaming fix. I can't complain. Both are OSs that do what they are meant to do and that's good enough for me.

agray
February 29th, 2008, 03:46 PM
i use ubuntu on my laptop and kubuntu on one of my desktops, but i have windows on my main desktop, cause the mrs. isn't too comfortable on linux and we need apps like adobe stuff for school and whatnot. but, i have gotten here on to inkscape and the gimp for her photo editing and design stuff, so hopefully soon, we'll only be running ubuntu.

Shakey_Jake33
March 1st, 2008, 02:05 AM
I use Ubuntu as my primary OS for everything, but still have Vista installed also. Mainly because the only PC game I play (Final Fantasy XI) does not work in Wine. As soon as that works, I'd never boot into Windows. I'll likely still keep it installed just in case though.

Why did I buy Vista? I have no idea, brief lapse of judgment. Especially given my move to the Linux world was spurred by the general sickness of DRM/CSS/ACSS/BD+ and general sickness being told what I can and cannot do with my own purchased stuff. Since then, I've come to appreciate the rich, collaborativeness of the FOSS community, and how progress is encouraged through sharing and contributing, as opposed to capitalist pressure.

Gen2ly
March 2nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
I went from Mac OS 9 to Linux so I'll likely not be going back. I do think Mac OS 9 had one of the best desktop ever. Light, easy to move files, it evolved the desktop with a filetype database (though poorly implemented), and it's Appearance was very very cool. I still like the icons being put on the right side. Besides this Linux is the champ. I remember when it was just normal to have a application crash now and then. I lost so much work that I'd typed, designed, calculated, and went right back typing... because I had to. Now, if a application crashes (hardly ever in one year) then I'm shocked. Yeah Linux. :)

spupy
March 2nd, 2008, 09:23 PM
100% Linux! Woo!
I already screwed one exam by playing Nethack too much.. i can't imagine if i install windows, i must then throw away all hopes of finishing my education.

twisted_hick
March 3rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
I've 100% Linux since thanksgiving weekend 2006 I was dual boot for about 6 months before I made the total switch. I used to check out different distro's since my first 'puter in 97 but kept going back to ol M$ due to the learning curve. Something clicked when I tried playing around with DSL's pen drive version and I've been hooked ever since the thing is though I haven't had a system crash for so long I forget how to do things when I want to make some changes or add a new program compiled from source. M$ kept me constantly redoing this or that so I had to keep up with system management. Now I just do the security up dates when I get a a notice and I'm all set to go. no pop up hell, no spyware, little to no worries about a virus cause I'm not your wild random .deb installer ....I'm just a happy camper ....I will be a lot happier when the wireless support is more integrated I tried in vain to keep a wg111t usb adapter working for more than a couple of days at clip a while back. just gave up and hooked back into the wire. well happy 'puting my fellow Tuxers

thischarmingman
March 4th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I had always been nervous about switching over completely. I tried a dual boot of windows and suse, a relationship that didn't last very long. A few years on and one blue screen too many, i downloaded ubuntu, wiped the hard drive and haven't looked back. I'm pretty sure that windows was responsible for my bad temper!

barnacleboy
March 5th, 2008, 03:52 AM
I have one old laptop running solely on Xubuntu, (which is what I'm using right now to post this), and a newer one which is dual-boot Vista and Gutsy. Still using Vista as I'm having trouble getting wireless to work with Gutsy.

ozmargot
March 5th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Hey hey, just did it ! Have been on Linux since 1998. My wife has ordered a Macbook, so she'll have her iTunes on the Mac and for AutoCAD it was too slow anyway with 512 Mo RAM. So wiped off the hardrive and bring on brand new 7.10 Gibbon, very happy to have (finally) total control over the laptop !
Still strugling with the scanner but if worse comes to worse I'll just buy a cheap compatible one and give the HP 5300C to the Sammies.

thaltek
March 7th, 2008, 04:56 AM
right now i am "experimenting" with Ubuntu ..... i have only converted one hard drive on my main desktop... but i am starting to get the hang of it.... so my desktop may be converted completely by the end of next week if all goes well..:-k

athaki
March 7th, 2008, 05:44 AM
50/50 still b/c today my son decided it'd be fun to have a highly magnetic toy near my laptop comptuer (mainly my fault) and it destoryed my hard drive. Now it's running XP but I plan on installing Ubuntu 7.04 tomorrow. I had been 100% Linux but I loved trying out different flavors so I never really had a stable system for more than a few hours :)

Northsider
March 7th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I've been Windows free for about 3 months now. I gotta admit though, I DO miss it sometimes...especially when I cannot find open source AutoCAD or ArcGIS (found some, but they don't measure up) or other programs that only run well in Windows (my virtual box doesn't do the trick)

Shadowmeph
March 7th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I have been using Ubuntu Linux for around one month now and the only things that keep me going back to windows every once in a while is some games but the biggest is that I cannot seem to find a program that converts avi file to DVD and then burns them or a avi joiner then convert them to dvd. because I download allot of tv eps that I like to join together and convert to a dvd formate then burn them and so far ( even though I have been only using Linux for a month) I have found any program that do this.

50words
March 7th, 2008, 06:19 PM
As of yesterday, when I got my second monitor working in Ubuntu, I have been 100% Ubuntu for 24 hours! If the new ATI driver holds up, I will drop my Windows partition entirely.

I do still need to run XP in VirtualBox for Acrobat Standard and my scanner utility. Plus, I like Outlook, but will probably switch to Evolution.

jjgomera
March 7th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I have been using Ubuntu Linux for around one month now and the only things that keep me going back to windows every once in a while is some games but the biggest is that I cannot seem to find a program that converts avi file to DVD and then burns them or a avi joiner then convert them to dvd. because I download allot of tv eps that I like to join together and convert to a dvd formate then burn them and so far ( even though I have been only using Linux for a month) I have found any program that do this.
Do you know qdvdauthor? or dont you like it?

rab4567
March 7th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I've been Window free for about three months the lone thing that was holding me back was Bitpim. I had the darnist time figuring out how to use it in linux when the answer was staring me right in the face. It was the simple act of typing sudo bitpim
in the terminal and boom! it recognized my Samsung SCH-u740 phone and I'm putting all kinds of data,ringtones, and pixs in there. Putting video on the phone is only issue i have now.

Talan6400
March 8th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I'm working on a complete switch over. I set up dual boot right after the first of the year. Have only booted to XP 2 times since, once to play a game and the other to look into exporting my mail from Outlook Express so I can pull it into Evolution. Didn't get it to work, but realized I didn't really have anything important "over there" anyways. I'm hoping to be Window free on my next build.

&)ky#)^
March 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Well, doesn't this seem like a huge "Windows Anonymous" support group meeting? I've been without Windows since Ubuntu 6.06. Although I occasionally miss certain games, but they are just old games from Win95/Win98 era that nobody has bothered perfecting in Wine like Worms Armageddon and Real Myst. I do keep one form or another of Wine hanging about, but I never use it since I have yet to find a program I want it to run AND it running it perfectly.

I tried Gentoo for a while, but I don't want to spend more time working on my OS than using my computer. That's just my opinion, but I felt Gentoo was too needy.

Dr.Ninethousand
March 8th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Recently got a new computer and tested out some flavors for the first time in about 5 years.. I was impressed with the progress, and since now I can manage to do everything I need to in Linux, there is no chance of me switching back to XP or even dual-booting..

On this box I tried Freespire, OpenSUSE, and maybe a couple of others I forgot.. Freespire and OpenSUSE were both nice but Freespire seemed too basic somehow, and I had problems with solving dependencies for new sofware in OpenSUSE - that's when I knew I had to go back to the good old apt-get :)

I know I always liked KDE, and that Debian, at least 5 years ago, was an ordeal to install, so I went with Kubuntu.. it's wicked kickbutt so I haven't tried any other flavors on this machine since.. :p

ellis rowell
March 8th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I did use Ubuntu for several months, it was very good system. My problem was that out of five printers I could only use one with Ubuntu (nothing else worked). When that printer died I had to return to Windows. With the knowledge gained with Ubuntu I was able to install Windows XP again without some of the annoying parts of it. But you still get the annoying pop-ups asking if you really mean it. The benefit is that I can now use all my printers, Brother, Canon, HP Laserjet and Minolta. I will return .........When they get printer installation sorted.

Yanluo
March 8th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I have used Ubuntu as dualboot and XP as main. but have now completly switched and use now Ubuntu as main and XP as a backup since i am a gamer. But i mainly play CS and WoW, which are very well supported in Ubuntu so its usually no problem. And i must say i love Ubuntu more the more i use it.

Don S
March 8th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I've been free of the bonds for 4 months. I can't take XP anymore.

GOROSSI
March 8th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Unfortunately I am still tied to using Vista x64 for gaming on my desktop as most of the games I like Won't run in WINE correctly or at all.

Why x64 you say? luck, Its what I choose but strangely enough it runs as fast as XP SP2 on my rig (ECS NForce 4 XE, Pentium D 820) and when the indexing's turned off which is useless I got pretty much the same RAM usage As XP at about 35% on 2GB according to my Logitech G15 at idle.

However I use Ubuntu on my WINDOWS TAX FREE but not VAT Celeron based Notebook and might switch to Kubuntu when Hardy comes out as I am trying KDE on an Ubuntu Virtual box setup at the moment to see if i like it as I haven't used KDE for years now and it's completely changed in my view.

When WINE get more mature though and runs the Games I have and obviously hardware progresses I will probably ditch Windows altogether.

prshah
March 8th, 2008, 04:14 PM
October 28th 2007, see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=593446

wrightci
March 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Started linux with red hat 6 and have not turned back since.

Thankfully most of the issues which previously prevented you kicking out windows altogether are pretty much non-issues these days.

DVD playback - either figure it from forum or if you can't be bothered get a copy of LinDVD which dell.co.uk/ubuntu are now including as standard with their open source pc offering anyway.

If you really love dvdshrink or anything else that you are loath to leave behind when departing windows then there are instructions on internet for running such stuff atop of 'wine' which is a free emulator.

Any websites that insist on active X installation are usually the same websites that know jack all about security anyway - so you certainly wouldn't want to register/post stuff there.

OpenOffice is pretty zippy for me, but anyone who thinks it is slow is probably using it on an old laptop or similar that is overdue for a visit to waste recycling. £299 gets you a brand new dell with 1Gig ram - should be enough to get another 3 years ubuntu use :)

Gimp is superb for the small amount of image editing I do and should not be too much of a strain for anyone who is used to doing stuff in Photoshop.

To anyone who is used to adding new graphics cards to play the latest high end games then you probably have a different set of needs than me.

Laptop runs Gutsy and is great around university where you can plug in Linux/Mac/Windows and browse using your secure setup.

Gary.

crazypen
March 8th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I mainly use Linux Mint on my primary PC. Mepis v 7 is on another PC. I still have a box with Windows 2000 around but very rarely use it. Not to long ago I bought a MacBook. It has ended being used more for a paper weight as I found I don't have that big of a need for a laptop.

iobelisk
March 11th, 2008, 03:18 AM
switched almost a year ago. never looked back. dual booted windows for a month or so and then kicked it out. started with ubuntu, went to many other distros-- i like ubuntu the best, it does gnome very well. (i cannot stand kde!) i also liked gentoo, a systems engineer friend of mine helped me build it. though i did do a lot of the work myself!! but broke my box with an emerge deep world (!!). gentoo is very cool. but takes time to maintain (for me, i'm NO еxpert). if i had the time, i'd certainly run gentoo on my personal machine (with ubuntu on my wife's). for no other reason except that gentoo really kicks your *** and makes you learn stuff!

i have a few ubuntu poster kinda thingies that i printed out on my cubicle at work. basically the logo with the website and linux for human beings. its cool, everybody at work now knows about ubuntu and quite a few of them use it now. it's a high tech it company and many guys run ubuntu on their test servers now (its a freebsd community!), i pass around live cds like nobody's business!

one guy wanted to buy his parents a computer. he did not have much money to buy a new one so we're setting him up with ubuntu on an old laptop he had lying around!

fredbird67
March 11th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Count me in among those who are purely Linux, too. I was a Windows user for a long time, and the first time I ever entertained thoughts of migrating, I was running Windows 98 at the time and was considering an upgrade to XP. One night I went to a Barnes & Noble where I was living at the time and found a book on Windows XP (this was in late 2002) and started in reading it.

One of the first things I noticed, however, was a section on the Windows XP activation system. which to me was totally uncalled for. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating software piracy or anything, but while I was reading the details about it, I couldn't help but think "this is insane!". The reason I say that is because with Windows, it ALWAYS seems to find a way to need more and more memory and stronger processors all the time, and upgrading all that will cause the activation system to say that you're running an illicit copy of Windows, which is why I think that's a very idiotic move on Microsoft's part.

Right then and there I vowed I was going to migrate to Linux. However, I took my time about it, and started out by first downloading Windows versions of programs that are available on Linux, such as Firefox, the GIMP, and OpenOffice, just to name a few, and familiarized myself with those while I studied all the ins and outs of Linux in my spare time.

During 2004, I was taking a class in Visual Basic.NET, which called for me to have a version of Windows that would do .NET. I was so against the idea of the activation system in Windows XP that I instead learned through the grapevine how I could get a FREE copy of Windows 2000 through an employee program they had going on at the time with Microsoft, and it just so happens that my dad teaches history at this university, so he was eligible for it, and he said he was fine with that, so that's how I got me a copy of Windows 2000 for free and perfectly legal!

However, a few months after that, I began having problems with it. For some weird reason, Windows 2000 did NOT like something or other about my hardware, and I started getting these crashes every so often. Well, it eventually got to where I was getting these error messages every few SECONDS, and at that point, I decided, how about giving those Mandrake CDs a try that I downloaded in the computer lab here while back? So I did...and lo and behold, Mandrake didn't have a problem with my hardware at all! I didn't learn until much later that what Windows 2000 didn't like was my Pentium III chip, but by then, I was already where I wanted to be, running Linux! :)

Mandrake did have a few bugs of its own, though, so I naturally shopped around and looked at different distros, and I'm now a Ubuntu convert! :)

wabre
March 11th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I never completely switched to GNU/Linux. not because it's not ok, but mainly because i want to keep the knowledge about windows, macs and GNU/linux.

i bought a new laptop on which all, but really ALL distros (ubuntu, debian, pclinux os, sabayon, fedora, dreamlinux, slack....) did NOT work! i had absolutely no sound! this was so frustrating that i though my laptop was crap. but the laptop runs vista business and up-to-date i haven't found any person in my entourage that would have a faster and more stable laptop! vista is absolutely the best OS i've been running on my laptop and no linux distro could do at least a usable job. and no, i'm not one of those that would get a new graphic card or another laptop just to run linux - spending money for an open source distro to run?????? then i can spend money for vista or mac.

but since 8.04 alpha 6 i have hope! i thought i would give it a go and what happened.....I HAVE SOUND out-of-the-box (thanks to newest kernel i suppose)! not everything is smooth, but hey, it's alpha. so now i am on the bridge where i am standing until end of april. if the official release of ubuntu 8.04 will run without problems on my laptop, i will lose my "resource" friend as i won't need the BIOS emulation crack for vista anymore :lolflag:

LittleLORDevil
March 11th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I have tried but I always talk myself back to Windows for a stupid reason. It's like a 5 step addiction program for me, each time I switch I stay longer than the last. I can't switch cold turkey.

Cerny
March 11th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I would love to completely get ride of windows on my machine. It produces so much lag and errors when you try to do something it doens't like that you want it to do. But I still have to hold on for a it a bit longer due to school and some programs i need that are only in windows thus far. Ubuntu rocks as i find several subs for programs.

ExWindoughs
March 11th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Getting there, slowly but surely.

Tried Linux for awhile a couple of years ago, but couldn't get by without Quicken and a few others. But Intuit has managed to really get to me, so I'm back and I hope for good. Hoping to get GnuCash to do what I need. It did a good job of importing my Quicken stuff, so I'm off to a good start.

Still dual-booting, but my aim is to wean myself off that as well.

My old computer, lagging severely under Windoughs and all the necessary firewalling, AV, etc. seems to fly under Ubuntu. Yeah!

-gabe-noob-
March 11th, 2008, 10:18 PM
i'm all 'buntu on MY Computer but since I'm in a big familly 3 computers run Mac OSX.5
and two run windoooze

Chelidon
March 12th, 2008, 02:33 AM
I may be switching real soon!

My Windows partition seems to have managed to kill itself, no joke! Its idiot boot loader lost the operating system (this happened shortly after a good, classic blue-screen of death). I swear I did nothing with it and it croaked!

R3d3y3
March 12th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I would give it up but I like games too much.

seattle vic
March 12th, 2008, 03:02 AM
I needed to upgrade to a new machine a year ago, and got a modern Vista PC. Short of tossing my old one, I decided to check into Linux, as I started on Unix in '78 (yes, I'm old). Began with Debian and wound up with Ubuntu due to the fantastic user community and support. After 6 months, moved U to both machines as my primary boot-up.

I like the clean, predictable operation of Linux (NEVER has crashed) and of course the layered security. The incentive to learn more about the OS and related utilities is also cool.

I only use Windows for excel, as I have a pretty complicated financial spreadsheet, and much as I'd like to use Open Office, Excel is fast and refined. Also, the occasional game (HALO, half life) to remind me of my youth.

95% Linux

Vic

seattle vic
March 12th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Oh yeah, and after reading about Open Source software, I downloaded apache, and have created a web site, and plan to cut in php and mysql when I get time. I can't imagine I'd get the motivation do that with MS based programs.

kindofabuzz
March 12th, 2008, 04:13 AM
As of last week, I deleted my XP partition and totally have switched over, :guitar:

acirilo
March 12th, 2008, 04:20 AM
i just got my scanner/printer working... nothing else to go back for..

i'm actually enjoying leaning GIMP ..tho i was very comfortable with Photoshop..

It feels very good to not to have to Crack software to get what you want.

i'm 100% Linux to stay!!!

gustavoavellar
March 12th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I have a home network with a desktop and a notebook. Both run Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy. The desktop still has a partition with windows on it, but after I've upgraded its hardware (motherboard, dvd drive, other stuff...), I didn't have the courage to turn windows on, it would be a mess. Even my mom uses linux now!

BlowflyBob
March 12th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Completely swapped! Games was pretty much the only thing tieing me to windows, but giving them up was a good choice anyway. I am now more productive and enjoy it!

_francis
March 12th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I m with Linux since Ubuntu 5.04. Dual-Booted for about 6 months. Now I m Windowze free for ages and dont miss a thing...

Ancient One
March 12th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Windows free here.

jakupl
March 14th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I would remove ******* if only I cold get Friggin skype to work on ubuntu :evil:

50words
March 14th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I would remove ******* if only I cold get Friggin skype to work on ubuntu :evil:

Really? I use Skype on Ubuntu with no problems. They offer a .deb for Ubuntu on their site: http://skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/

If that does not work, do you also have other sound/mic issues? Initially I could hear, but not talk. But I quickly realized the line-in (or mic, I can't remember for sure) was muted by default in Ubuntu. Once I undid that, it worked perfectly.

jakupl
March 14th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Really? I use Skype on Ubuntu with no problems. They offer a .deb for Ubuntu on their site: http://skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/

If that does not work, do you also have other sound/mic issues? Initially I could hear, but not talk. But I quickly realized the line-in (or mic, I can't remember for sure) was muted by default in Ubuntu. Once I undid that, it worked perfectly.

yeah... it works... but I can't talk. And un-muting the mic doesn't make any difference ](*,)

Yesterday I tried to follow this manual http://geekybits.blogspot.com/2007/06/microphones-skype-on-ubuntu.html

But now I get this message when clicking the "sounds" icon on the panel.

No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found.

I am running an ASUS A6Rp labtop with an built in mic.

kdardio2415
March 15th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I moved to Ubuntu 6.06 last month and erased Vista. I'm now dual-booting with CentOS and I upgraded to 7.10 today. Feels good.

HebrewTheHammer
March 16th, 2008, 01:06 AM
i have completely switched....i even refuse to buy anything that is for windows...games and such....i switched to linux to join the revolution and will only pirate against the evil corporation we know as microsoft.

Ux64
March 17th, 2008, 07:40 AM
My Windows partition seems to have managed to kill itself, no joke! Its idiot boot loader lost the operating system (this happened shortly after a good, classic blue-screen of death). I swear I did nothing with it and it croaked!

;) I were using dual boot for a long time. But when Windows finally messed itself up. I gave using it up too. Just transferred all data to ext3 partition and also formated that old NTFS system partition to ext3.

And that's it, Windows is a goner!

Cool Surfer
March 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM
:guitar: back to ubuntu once again :)

O3.
March 17th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Dual boot XP & 7.10.Now surfing from 7.10.

haxx
March 17th, 2008, 10:01 PM
finaly i can honestly say that all 3 of my machines are Xubuntu (7.10 at that )

xp is only on them for other family members ---- DOHHHH

chris200x9
March 17th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I switched my macbook only runs linux I uninstalled mac OS X after I saw the light that steve jobs is a control freak uptight fascist!

Twitch6000
March 17th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Well after starcraft gets working fully with no graphic errors n wine I will go 100% linux :D.Starcraft is about the only thing keeping me with windows xp pro.

I hate it so much to cause about 1/4 of the space is used for security :/.Anyways yeah just waiting for that one great wine update to make me change over :P.

fifth
March 17th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Laptops within the house are 100% Ubuntu and have been for the past couple of years. My first step when I buy a new laptop is to wipe the hd and install Ubuntu.

I only have one desktop pc running XP, but i consider that a games machine :lolflag:

PH James
March 18th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I officially made the 100% leap today. I've been following and trying Ubuntu off and on since Breezy Badger, with each release having better and better compatibility with my hardware. I wiped my Windows install on my main box entirely about 2-3 weeks ago and am also running Xubuntu on my laptop (which I installed today) and an old machine I acquired this past weekend.

:KS

Tarmael
March 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I completely switched over about 3-4 months ago.

I had an install of XP pro Beast Edition (Hacked to install to about 800MB) and never really used it, so I wanted the 5-6GB I had given it to install and never thought to install it again (MOSTLY CAUSE I DON'T NEED IT!!!!)

Bas

tracyanne
March 19th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I switched to Linux completely in May 2002. None of my personal computers 3 laptops 2 desktops runs any version of Windows.

I have 3 Laptops (my partner runs one of them, I run one and one is 6 years old) running Mandriva Linux, 1 desktop running Mandriva Linux and a home built media machine running MythBuntu, I use to record and time shift TV programs.

If I can't play the Game native on Linux or via WINE, I don't play it.

Irihapeti
March 19th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I've been running Linux only for just on 6 months now. Ubuntu most of the time, Puppy as a second OS for something to play with. I would find it hard now to think of any reason for reinstalling Windows.

slackmaster
March 21st, 2008, 10:25 PM
I stopped using Windows altogether a few days ago. The reason I decided to switch to Ubuntu entirely is because Windows has too many malware and maintenance issues.
Sure, for a relative newbie to linux, it takes some time to do the same tasks I used to know so well in Windows. Still, if I consider all the time I spent dealing with malware and on maintaining windows, I think, so far, Ubuntu saves me time. Besides, much of the malware and maintenance tasks in windows are really just dull and repetitive tasks while the time-consuming process of learning Linux seems at least mentally stimulating.

I also like the philosophy behind Ubuntu. I mean who can argue with free software right? And Ubuntu is easy enough to use that I've turned quite a few friends onto it. If you just need a system to surf the web, check your email, and use productivity software, then Ubuntu is not that big of an adjustment. Of course listening to music and watching movies can sometimes be a bit of a challenge for the average windows user, but once they get all the codecs and the proper media player, most of the media problems are solved.

For myself, I was kind of crazy deciding to switch to Ubuntu permanently because I am just learning Web Programming this semester. We are using XAMPP. I had to learn a few extra things to get XAMPP working on Linux and I still can't seem to get the XAMPP control panel to appear. This may be because I installed a LAMPP stack manually using the terminal and have to remove that installation first.
It took some time to get XAMPP up on my Ubuntu machine after some trial and error, but now that it is up, I feel like I learned alot the synaptic package manager and terminal commands, not to mention several alternate methods of installing software.
In windows, its as if they don't want you to learn anything new rather they just want to make everything as easy as possible. Well I kind of like understanding the mechanics behind the things I do....

Basically, every computer in my home-office runs Ubuntu now, although I've experimented with a number of other distros such as Mandriva One 2008, SUSE Linux , Debian, Yellowdog, PCLinuxOS, and Gentoo on PCs and Macs.

To me, the appeal of Linux is similar to the appeal of MySQL over Access. Access is set up to make things easier yet it is not as versatile or powerful as MySQL can be.

I suppose a dual boot situation might be ideal in some cases where you have to use windows for a particular program which Linux does not have, but I understand you can emulate WIndows in Linux anyway.

The only downside I can see in using Linux all the time is that the computer work I do sometimes requires working on windows machines. I may get out of practice or out of touch if I'm always using Linux.

S.

markinf
March 23rd, 2008, 12:59 AM
webcam chatting holds me on windows... :(

factotum218
March 23rd, 2008, 02:59 AM
My job keeps me away during the day. I do desktop publishing.
Otherwise it was a case of either running an old 32-bit OS or a new up to date 64-bit OS. One was free, one wasn't.
I guess I don't have that banner waving GNU pride that a lot of users have. I just use what works with the least amount of trouble.

factotum218
March 23rd, 2008, 03:02 AM
i have completely switched....i even refuse to buy anything that is for windows...games and such....i switched to linux to join the revolution and will only pirate against the evil corporation we know as microsoft.

aww...cute!

Saint Angeles
March 27th, 2008, 03:45 AM
i made a 10GB windows partition and installed all the updates (took a whole night) just so i could use turbotax...

i havent used it since.

RyuKokoro
March 27th, 2008, 04:46 AM
webcam chatting holds me on windows... :(

I had that problem too. You can have webcam with aMSN although I prefer to use Skype cos you can resize the cam window instead of it being stuck at whatever size it got streamed to you at.

I switched to Ubuntu 7.10 in December last year because I was sick to death of Windows crashing, having to have an AV program taking up resources, having to scan for malware and finding some everytime even if I'd been careful etc, etc, etc.

I have two problems though:

The apps I use that are Windows based (Photoshop mainly) I need to run using Wine which I personally find to be a complete pain in the ****.

I have an onboard SiS video chipset which as far as I know, isn't supported by Linux so I can't have any visual effects enabled. (If anyone knows a workaround or something of this, please let me know!)

Other than that, I'm happy with it and would never go back to crappy old Windows. I think I got out in time too because I've never heard a good word spoken about Vista!

kamaboko
March 27th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Other than that, I'm happy with it and would never go back to crappy old Windows. I think I got out in time too because I've never heard a good word spoken about Vista!

Here's a good word. I'm running Vista 64bit at it absolutely kicks ***.

tonyn999
March 27th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I still have an XP partition almost exclusively to run QuickBooks. I have not gotten QB to run well in emulation so I'm stuck with a small XP partition. If I could get this one app running under Ubuntu I'd happily get rid of my XP.

Sean4000
March 28th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I still have an XP partition almost exclusively to run QuickBooks. I have not gotten QB to run well in emulation so I'm stuck with a small XP partition. If I could get this one app running under Ubuntu I'd happily get rid of my XP.

I think this might help you out:

http://www.sql-ledger.org/cgi-bin/nav.pl?page=source/index.html&title=Download

Quickbooks finally came to Mac, and then the server edition came to Linux; hopefully the desktop will not be far behind.

Have you tried GNUcash?

Take care,
Sean

bogdanbiv
March 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Define "completely switched to Linux", please!

@Home:
I have 2 computers running Kubuntu 7.10.
On one I still have a NTFS partition. It even works to boot it in Windows XP - or so it did 3 months ago. I've stopped using it since it is virus ridden. Reinstalling/formatting it would break my Linux, so I didn't do it. I still keep that partition because I did not bother to gather and transfer the data. Yes I am lazy, so what?

At this point Windows is no more usable. I get everything I need in Kubuntu and I ditch Windows.

I use my computer for watching&torrenting movies, email& browsing, a little graphic editing, office document editing. I am also a novice free software developer.

@work:
I'm still using Windows 2000 Pro SP4. It's aging well (8 years +) in place. I develop & test a web application written in Java.
Most I could get from an upgrade to Windows XP is compatibility with Internet Explorer 7.0, which will be needed to test our application. I will continue to use Windows 2000 at work for 1-2 years, after which I will ask for an upgrade to Vis... Windows XP, of course.

We can't move our clients to Linux since we have an old, proprietary ActiveX control which doesn't work with Mozilla ActiveX.

Catharina
March 29th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I swtched cold turkey from Mac to Linux, two years ago and never looked back:)

orzechowskid
March 31st, 2008, 01:59 AM
I run WinXP inside of vmware solely for TurboTax. Besides that, I've been Windows-free for almost four years now. First Mandrake, then Fedora, then Linux From Scratch, then switched to Ubuntu back in the Hoary days (man, was it really that long ago?)

Everything I do at work is Linux-based, so it works out well there, and wine has been good enough for any non-emulator games I want to play.

kutjara
March 31st, 2008, 05:05 AM

I probably never will "completely" switch. I'm an OS junkie, and love tweaking and fiddling around with lots of different systems. Consequently, my house is full of machines running MacOS (8, 9, OS X - Tiger and Leopard, 32 and 64 bit varieties), Windows (DOS, 9x, 2k, XP and Vista 32 and 64), Solaris, BSD (Free and Open), sundry flavors of Linux, and no doubt some more exotic odds and ends as well.

For everyday use, however, I mostly work on Ubuntu, with periodic forays onto Leopard when I need to update my iPhone or just fancy a change of pace.

I rarely use Windows for real work, and just tend to use it for games or when I want to rekindle my appreciation of Linux by using a really crappy OS for awhile.

bwallum
March 31st, 2008, 12:13 PM
I'm running Gutsy for production, Heron beta for fun and to get the really impressive performance upgrade. Excellent tuning work devs!

Tomatz
March 31st, 2008, 12:16 PM

Same as i have xp installed purely for gaming. I only see that cruddy blue facade for aslong as it takes to launch a game though.

:lolflag:

adster101
March 31st, 2008, 07:07 PM
I've been using Ubuntu Linux exclusively since about December 07. I try not to boot into XP at all now if I can help it. Unfortunately I still have to use windows at work sometimes which reminds me of how rigid it is. Having said that XP is the best version of windows I've used (i.e. it's stable) and I used it for years without too much complaint.

Given a choice I will continue to use Linux for the forseeable future.

Now if only i could get my headset to work on Skype....

:)

Slorg
March 31st, 2008, 07:40 PM
Sad about the games on linux....
But maybe I'll completely switch with the release of ubuntu 8.04

randomstuff
March 31st, 2008, 08:01 PM
One week ago my XP install got all bugged down again (for example it won't even start explorer.exe on it's own, need to open the task manager first), so I have decided to can it finally.

I don't know if I can really make it through, because I love to play computer games, but so far my new ubuntu install(*) has kept me busy configuring and trying to get monodevelop 1.0 to run, so I'm not really missing it too much yet. When the gamer urge gets hold of me once in a while I play some nexuiz instagib for 20 minutes or so, and then I can keep "working" again.

I just really hope I can keep off of windows, because the way it's going with e.g. the OOXML ISO vote I am not going to support MS any longer. This blatant form of corruption is a slap in the face for any freedom and standards loving person like me. I still have it installed in a virtualbox but I hope I won't have to use it too much.

(*) I have been a linux user for several years, but I decided to try out the fakraid on my mobo, and I put off trying to get it to work in ubuntu until now.

momist
March 31st, 2008, 10:32 PM
I ditched windows about a month ago, after something like two years occasionally dual booting, mostly using windows. The final straw was some corruption caused by - Ubuntu! My XMMS crashed out so badly that I could fin no other way out, and had to hold in the on/off switch. I think I had some of the windows partions open at the time, and after that windows just wouldn't work. I tried re-installing, and the process was so painful I gave up and formatted the lot for a clean install of Ubuntu 7.10

No regrets so far. I have a very poor video on Skype, but I'm actively looking for a better webcam. Everything else is usable, and so far I really am enjoying the "windows free" feeling!
:-)

Q-ro
April 1st, 2008, 04:36 AM
i have read much of the histories, some of them interesting, some kind of simple =P, i did read about linux like in 2000 i guess when in school doing a homework about free software foundation, i always used to think that something you are not actually paying for wont stand against something you pay like, millions to have its licenses ( i did never do so, all cracked =P ), but, you got the idea, here they say " lo barato sale caro " like " cheaper its more spensive ", now int the university, in OS class the teacher have a master in free software and made us to use free software, i started with open office, couse i was tired of that all fashioned, really heavi and not working garbage of micro$oft office, i like open ofice a lot, and in class we use fedora, so i say, "hey lets give it a try, i have a rusty machine i can use to do some test of linux, i tried to download fedora but i get booored of waiting for it to download, so i was websuffing and find that canonical send you a copy of ubuntu absolutely free, so y order one and tried ubuntu, at first it was hard for me, there was no installers at all, i was all crazy searching for ".exe" all over the machine, but then i get used to it, but i still use windows, i have a laptop with vista ( it comes with it, not may fault X_x ), i used it for programing in C#, ( games mostly, but they all sucks still =P ), and to upload music to my iphone, but i like ubuntu a lot, and when i can do all i can do in vista ( specially the iphone part ) i'm gonna intall ubuntu on my other pc and give this one the rest it deserve =O ...

PD: sorry for the long post

linux4life88
April 1st, 2008, 10:43 PM
I'm been using just Ubuntu for about 5 months now. I've used Ubuntu since the second version but I'm now using just Ubuntu on all my computers. I used to have a Windows computer but no more.

tango_ninja
April 2nd, 2008, 12:43 AM
I think that I will completely switch to Ubuntu only when I have no more winXP licenses left...

Maybe when I get my next system I will build it myself and install Ubuntu. I think Ubuntu is a great system but not for everyone....if I have XP up and runnung (and running well) I don't see the need to completely switch over.

Maybe someday I'll see the light :p

iamBevan
April 2nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
Once I bought my 360 and discovered hellanzb it was all Linux to me. :D

jfbilodeau
April 2nd, 2008, 12:37 PM
I just wanted to add another drop in the ocean of folks who have completely switched to Linux. I've been Monopoly (Microsoft) free for about four years, and I'm still having a blast. I hate having to work on a Windows machine.

Switching from Linux to Windows would be the equivalent of sacrificing freedom to go to jail.

Oh, and I am a gamer. Love Linx Games & Cedega, but I will never buy a game published by Microsoft.

stefangr1
April 2nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
I ditched windows about a month ago, after something like two years occasionally dual booting, mostly using windows. The final straw was some corruption caused by - Ubuntu! My XMMS crashed out so badly that I could fin no other way out, and had to hold in the on/off switch. I think I had some of the windows partions open at the time, and after that windows just wouldn't work. I tried re-installing, and the process was so painful I gave up and formatted the lot for a clean install of Ubuntu 7.10

No regrets so far. I have a very poor video on Skype, but I'm actively looking for a better webcam. Everything else is usable, and so far I really am enjoying the "windows free" feeling!
:-)

I had something similar. After hearing about the linux experiences of a friend of mine, I tried out Sabayon linux from the live cd (after finding out that Fedora and Suse wouldn't detect my sata drives at that time). It had an ntfs write feature that appeared to be quite buggy, and corrupted the partition with xp on it. So: I ended up with an unbootable system. I subsequently downloaded the kubuntu 6.## live cd to backup some data and then format the corrupted partition to install windows again. Then somewhere in the process I changed my mind (no idea why, just happened) and the next thing I knew I had only ubuntu left and all partitions transferred to ext3.

Off course that took a while to get used to.
-where to find the famous command line?
-what file should I click on to start the installer, after unpacking a tar archive (didn't know about adept or apt-get at the time)?

After just one day I decided that I wanted to give my home partition a different name. My advice: don't do that, it's not wise :)
I decided to do a complete reïnstall, a good solution under the circumstances, since the only thing you have to do to get a fresh install is spend 20 minutes drinking coffee.

This is now 2 years ago, and... I haven't regretted switching to Linux for a minute!

rix
April 2nd, 2008, 05:46 PM
Hi! My name is rix and I'm a linoholic.

I have been using Ubuntu on my nx7400 for almost two years now, after trying different distros occasionally. It took a while to get used to, but I'm starting to get the hang of it now...
Still after two years I have to switch back to WinXP every now and then. Mostly because I use my laptop professionaly and we do a lot of work in MS Visio. I haven't run in to a decent alternative for Visio yet. If I ever do, that will be the day I format all my NTFS drives.

heartburnkid
April 2nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
I'm completely on Ubuntu for my home machine, as I reasoned it'd be easier for me to learn Linux if I "burned my bridges" and forced myself to do day-to-day tasks in it. At this rate, I probably will set up a dual boot with XP, but only for the purposes of software testing and a fail-safe for gaming.

My work computer is still an XP machine, unfortunately.

Shakey_Jake33
April 2nd, 2008, 06:26 PM
I use Ubuntu as my primary OS for absolutely everything, except gaming. I still have to log back into Windows at least once a day to play games. Wine, as brilliant as it is, simply isn't 'gamer ready' yet, and saying 'just play X game' or 'play consoles instead' isn't really going to make much of an impact on people who enjoy playing PC games. In my case, I'm more of a console gamer anyway, but it just happens that the 2 or 3 PC games I play (mainly Final Fantasy XI) are incompatible with Wine.

I log straight back into Ubuntu after I finish playing though! Waiting for ALSA to support my X-fi (then I can ditch my onboard) and I'll be sorted :) Very interested in expanding my horizons a bit my trying Arch, but I fear I'm just not that advanced yet. One day. I do prefer the 'rolling release' approach of Arch.

theDentist
April 2nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Thought I give my contribution to an interesting thread. I too have to go to windows for games. I wish though I could do all my photos in GIMP, but unfortunately I have to wait 30 mins for a 6 x 4 print to be printed in my Epson DX3850 printer ( 4mins in windows) at best quality. I could almost ditch windows (except for games) if I could print my photos quicker. I still use windows for some of my programming as others who use my programs still use windows XP.

Peter

Shakey_Jake33
April 2nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Interesting you mention the printing thing, I forgot about that. I have a HP Deskjet F380, and it takes an absolute age (compared to Windows) to print even text documents, to the extent that it's quicker to reboot into Windows, print and then boot back into Ubuntu. I'd love to know why that is.

heartburnkid
April 2nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Thought I give my contribution to an interesting thread. I too have to go to windows for games. I wish though I could do all my photos in GIMP, but unfortunately I have to wait 30 mins for a 6 x 4 print to be printed in my Epson DX3850 printer ( 4mins in windows) at best quality. I could almost ditch windows (except for games) if I could print my photos quicker. I still use windows for some of my programming as others who use my programs still use windows XP.

Peter

Next time you go printer shopping, you might consider an HP. From all the research I've done, they're very Linux-friendly.

EDIT: OK, looks like ShakeyJake has issues with an HP... I do find that kind of interesting, as I've never had that kind of issue. From my experience printing on my HP OfficeJet 4215, it takes a minute or so longer to start printing than under Windows, but once it starts, it gets done in the same length of time. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones. :)

Wobedraggled
April 2nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
99.999% converted.

BKonkle
April 3rd, 2008, 01:23 AM
Next time you go printer shopping, you might consider an HP. From all the research I've done, they're very Linux-friendly.

EDIT: OK, looks like ShakeyJake has issues with an HP... I do find that kind of interesting, as I've never had that kind of issue. From my experience printing on my HP OfficeJet 4215, it takes a minute or so longer to start printing than under Windows, but once it starts, it gets done in the same length of time. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones. :)

I've got an HP Photosmart 8250, and it works quite well in Hardy. I would definitely join you in recommending HP for Linux.

wltdwiz
April 4th, 2008, 05:15 AM
windows is history :guitar:
i run linux mint on all my computors & so far theres nothing i cant do in linux that i can in windows thanks in no small part to the helpful people here on this fourm thank you all
free from the windows empire forever hurray :)

linuxbeatswin
April 4th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Windows only runs in a virtual machine, and only because Wine can't handle my wife's medical school software.

PointyWombat
April 4th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I bought an xbox360 just so I could completely sever the cord with windows. In the past, I've always had the need for some form of windows just for gaming; but no longer. In the long run, it's much cheaper as well as I don't have to buy a $$$$ video card just to play the latest PC games.

Gehan
April 4th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I Switched last year because

1. "Other" OSs are too expensive or too new (driver problems)

2. Commercial software will cost money forever.

3.I have been trying out Linux since Red Hat 6.0 in 2000, and can manage the tech stuff

4. My essential software is the Web Browser and OPen Office software. Flight sims seem to run OK- YS 2000 (LinuxVersion) X-plane 5, Mozilla Composer, Wings 3d (Linux Version),

The CD writer works fine, and so does the Epson Stylus C 45 printer. Detects all USB's

Joystick sensitivy to the right is a little low and struggling to install Flight Gear

Should be fun

chips24
April 4th, 2008, 06:16 PM
just did two weeks ago.

theDentist
April 4th, 2008, 11:03 PM
thanks everyone for the printer advice, that may be the answer.

Peter :)

syntheticz
April 5th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I use ubuntu mostly, but if I ever feel the need for a game of cs source or to hook up my iPod, then I switch over to windows xp media centre edition momentarily.

linuxbeatswin
April 5th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Completely switched as of last year, save for one virtual machine that my wife uses for medical school. She's using Ubuntu for everything else, though.

linuxadore
April 6th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I switched about 3 years completely, when I accidentaly /Tnx God/ remove windows partition, and no regret at all...
Start with Mandrake, move to Slackware /still on my PC/.

pandayanyan
April 7th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I always hated windows so recently (a month or two ago) i got ambitious and installed ubuntu 7.10 completely removing windows
I am a complete newb to linux but I have learned more about computers in the last two months of linux than I have in the last 10 years of windows.
IMHO Linux is superior in every way to any other operating system I have used except for gaming.

-gabe-noob-
April 7th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I use ubuntu on the only computer I truely own, my school lappy (That I bought) but my parents won't let me install linux on the family computer cause my mom has a harddrive full of 'vital' files, though my dad uses my computer often

scouser73
April 8th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I moved to Ubuntu three weeks ago after accidentally wiping the Windows XP partition, and I've never looked back. Ubuntu just works, and you can't get better than that.

yaxomoxay
April 9th, 2008, 12:13 PM
switched completely about 6 months ago. I'm learning a lot about PCs, now.
Currently I have Fedora 8 on my desktop and ubuntu on my laptop. At work, they force us to use XP.

misfitpierce
April 9th, 2008, 12:17 PM
:) I been off windows... Started Ubuntu in '04 or '05 cant remember... Used redhat based distros including Mandriva first... Mandrake/Mandriva... :) Nothing but Ubuntu for me now though. :) Even ditched mac for Ubuntu.

vishinator
April 10th, 2008, 01:43 AM
i multi boot so i can keep windows and still be able to play games and hack my ipod XD

joe.turion64x2
April 10th, 2008, 01:46 AM
switched completely about 6 months ago. I'm learning a lot about PCs, now.
Currently I have Fedora 8 on my desktop and ubuntu on my laptop. At work, they force us to use XP.
It could be worse: they could force you to use Vista.

BTW, is anybody counting how many of us have made the switch? LOL.

Thanks.
Joe.

michaelfougnie
April 12th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I have. I was just using Vista so I could use iTunes for my iPod, but I found a good program that works for that, so I dont need windows anymore.

Cope57
April 12th, 2008, 03:30 AM
3 things keep me using xp on my laptop(however ubuntu is my main OS for everything else so i use my laptop very little):

my canon i850 printer.

OpenPrinting database - Printer: Canon i850 (http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-i850)
The other two I'll have to look up.

I use Debian, and... nothing else.

IHATEDLINK
April 12th, 2008, 03:47 AM
I completely switched to ubuntu a week ago.
I was planing to dual boot for over four months but never actually did it.
A week and a half ago windows crashed onto the Blue Screen of Death and didn't load when i restarted the computer.
That was my excuse.
Sins then, i can't live without Ubuntu.

BluntBox
April 12th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I used to keep my machine dual booting between Ubuntu and XP purely for gaming. My machine has 2 6800s in SLI. XP64 with nothing at all installed but my games and drivers was lightning quick. Whereas Ubuntu seems to hate having SLI enabled.

But I haven't booted into XP in months now, having to much fun pulling my hair out learning to code :D

Amusing note, after trying Vista a few times over the passed year, I still get better FPS trying to play games in Wine. Vista Nvidia drivers for 6000 series cards are horrible.

19bab79
April 12th, 2008, 04:16 AM
i am almost completely weened of windows. i just started getting into computers in august of 07. i'm in college for computer networking. i picked up my laptop and crashed head on into computers for the first time since highschool in 97. loved it. now dual boot vista and ubuntu on my laptop. i just bought a 160 gb external hard drive and installed fedora 8 on 15 gb and left the rest fat for music storage. use linux 90% of the time, even at school.

HunterThomson
April 12th, 2008, 04:45 AM
I jumped right in and said FU to Windo$. I see no reson to have a windo$ partition. Opensorce all the way:guitar:. Tried fedroa but the update sever comes through at 5Kbs so quickly switched. But I hate sudo and wish i could get rid of it. Also, the fedora people were making fun of my ideapad Y510 and Ubuntu people have a grate support thread for it.

mkzimms
April 12th, 2008, 04:57 AM
just take the leap. i had always dabbled in the dark art of linux before, but the programmer at my job really got me into it. i have since put linux onto anything i can get my hands on. unfortunately my computer at work still runs windows and our servers are windows based except for the webserver, so i have to stay windows proficient to maintain the network. but outside of work i only use linux and have never looked back.

Master Yami
April 12th, 2008, 05:29 AM
I have three computers - one is Windows Vista only (because I don't see the point of have Linux on it when I won't use it on that computer), one dual boots Kubuntu and Windows XP Home, and another has only Ubuntu.

The dual boot setup is an older one. I never use that computer and its there for screwing with. The laptop I normally use when not gaming is Ubuntu. I took Windows off it because whenever I made a dual boot setup, Windows kept crashing for some reason (I'm thinking the bundled ASUS software or drivers, thought I don't see why), so I thought, screw it. I'm working with Wine to get the games I play most that don't need the power working, but that laptop doesn't have the best graphics. So I use the Vista box for gaming, and pretty much nothing else.

I prefer Linux, but gaming forces me into Windows. Support for Linux is growing, so hopefully things will clear up in the near future.

Helios1276
April 12th, 2008, 05:54 AM
I found the ubuntuforums site and went from xp to nothing but Ubuntu in two days..not that I recommend it mind, it's given me hell but i love it :popcorn:

wandalalakers
April 12th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I switched about three weeks ago. I don't think I'll ever go back to windows.

saon187
April 13th, 2008, 04:10 AM
I just recently completely switched to Ubuntu 7.10 and i'm thinking of switching back to windows because I miss my games working flawlessly, but besides games not working perfectly I love Ubuntu, I will probably end up dual booting with xp.

PhilKarras
April 15th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I believe I'm still on the other side of the curve, while I can see myself going to Linux completely some time in the future, the future is not yet here.

Of the 5 PCs I use, 3 laptops & 2 desktops, only one desktop has Linux on it & I use it very little.

At present I'm trying to learn enough to set up a Linux Proxy server & I'm having all sorts of difficulties, right now I can not Telnet into the box & without that I can't deliver the box & have any hope of helping/fixing things remotely.

The other problem I have with Linux (server) is the manual (man) help. It's like I'm reading a translation from another language, yes all the English is there & I understand the words, but I'm at a loss to understand the meaning.

Dai Bando
April 15th, 2008, 03:43 PM
The last Windows I had was 98SE. I stopped using it when XP came out and I changed to Linux. I have tried a few systems but for the last two years I have stuck with Ubuntu. It does everything I want.

dperfors
April 15th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I don't see myself using unix only.. for my job and for different kind of programming things, I need to use Windows. (also for some games, but those I don't play very often...)

will1911a1
April 15th, 2008, 04:01 PM
The only time I ever touch Windows now is through VMware, and only rarely then. I don't play any games anymore and Linux handles everything else I want to do perfectly.

I'm running Ubuntu on my desktop and my Eee PC has the Xandros distro it came with.

Ozor Mox
April 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I switched to Ubuntu "cold turkey" about a year ago. I tried the live CD out, loved it, and decided to go for it and trash my Windows installation for Ubuntu. I've not touched Windows since, except when installing it for someone else, or experimenting with it in a VM. I know this might sound a bit stupid, but I've actually benefited from commercial games not being available on Ubuntu, it's sure saved me a lot of money and time! Though I was (and am) only ever a casual gamer anyway.

MasterSushi
April 15th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I am using Ubuntu as my main OS on my desktop ( I also have Vista installed since it came with the PC, but I havent booted into that for weeks) and the only OS on my laptop is Ubuntu. I do have XP installed in VirtualBox though so that I can use my Zune that I grabbed from woot a few months ago. :)

DUfire
April 15th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Pure Ubuntu 7.10 'cause it's great .
Had XP/Vista then just dropped them both once I got everything configured on Ubuntu.

_sAm_
April 15th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Still have Windows, need it for Google Sketchup, Adobe Premier, and one game that I like. But I don't use it much, so Ubuntu is my main OS, and I also use Ubuntu server on my .. server:)

Bush_Roo
April 18th, 2008, 02:03 AM
100% Linux user. 50% Ubuntu and 50% Debain. Was a 100% Windoz dummy once upon a time ;) No prejudice, just no need ;) (and don't want to pirate/pay :p :p)

clairegrrl
April 18th, 2008, 02:14 AM
I have xandros on my laptop and this week I wiped XP from my desktop and installed ubuntu 7.1 Im scared...very scared, but in a fun way :P

athaki
April 18th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I have finally completely switched to linux and it was an interesting time getting 8.4 installed on a desktop with no cd-rom drive :guitar:

hariprs
April 18th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I have completely switched to Linux when Ubuntu 7.10 & fedora 8 was released. I am using linux for the past 6 year.

t_ras
April 18th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I'm complitly linux, though I keep an old comp with winXP to connect to work.

geekcliff
April 18th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I have completely switched on my pc at work, but at home i dual boot, cos i've not been able to find any thing in linux that can capture video from a usb2 capture device. :lolflag:

bwallum
April 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM
This chap has a few web cams working on linux...

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/04/30/one-man-writes-linux-drivers-for-235-usb-webcams

Lostincyberspace
April 19th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I am curently 100% linux ecept for playing starcraft on wine. this may change when spore comes out though.

anarchy88
April 20th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I am completely linux mainly because i screwed up during installation and erased windows when i partitioned my hard drive. So instead of easing my way into learning ubuntu i got thrown into it, but I am having fun. I gave linux a shot because i liked using open source programs that were designed for windows and I want to try and learn some basic programming.

nadd
April 21st, 2008, 02:22 AM
i recently installed ubuntu 6.06 on my old sony vaio... everything's good so far... although nautilus froze up on me a couple of times but i guess that's just because of my way old laptop... if i could get to access internet via my cellphone (like i used to in xp), i'd be a happy camper, or linux-user...

jrebernik
April 21st, 2008, 02:54 AM
I recently made the complete switch after getting a new laptop with vista pre-installed. Figuring even if i installed XP i would have to keep reinstalling over and over to fix everything that was put their to destroy itself so I confidently chose ubuntu as my only OS now.

rickdog
April 22nd, 2008, 07:41 AM
I had been dual-booting XP and 7.04 on my laptop, but last year I finally did away with Windows (hopefully forever!). I still use a couple of programs with Wine, and I use PC's and Mac's at school and work frequently, but my heart belongs to Kubuntu!

calc
April 22nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
Windows free for 10 years. I still have a small Windows partition though to do hardware updates (eg flash bios, optical drive, etc).

El Puño
April 22nd, 2008, 11:05 AM

After installing Ubuntu in a dual boot, it has become my number one choice. In fact I find using XP rather annoying :lolflag: but it takes a couple of weeks to get familiar with Linux.

Using Ubuntu (8) for administrative purposes, still using XP to games and special applications (Netobjects, wintrack, etc.).

If Linux should be a real alternative to Winblows, the gaming issue has to be solved. A DirectX emulation or ??

Half-Left
April 22nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
Not used Windows for 3 months and not using it again(not on my computer at all and dont have a copy), I refuse to use it for gaming anymore since thats all I ever used it for before anyway.

AmpersUK
April 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
I have. On May 12th 2008.

No, this is not a misprint. I have earmarked the weekend starting 10th May for the change-over.

I have played with the Ubuntu 8.04 beta to test for any major problems with hardware and have found there aren't any.

Now I am busy printing out pages of references and help so I don't waste time over the weekend.

I have also prepared a list of jobs to do with Windows before I zap it. And believe me, that list is growing longer each day. It is so important to get this right so you don't lose any data, like program data which you may need under wine, email and contact addresses and all sorts of other things.

I think it will take me two hours doing all this before I actually zap Windows and change my machine into a Linux beast.

I am a journalist so I will log (with pen and paper - remember those?) everything I do as I do it - which is why I have earmarked the whole weekend.

I will probably use Crossover and was also going to install VirtualBox but as Canonica now sell a new product that does the same I am presuming this will work out of the box so will use this - for around twenty quid, if it saves heartbreak, it's worth it.

I will publish my escapades on my blog at ampers.blogspot.com so if you use Google Reader, you can subscribe to it. If you don't use Google Reader, you are missing something, believe me!

Ampers.

ene_dene
April 22nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Started using Linux 2 months ago, last used windows one month ago, deleted windows partition 10 days ago and I'm never coming back.

AmpersUK
April 22nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Windows free for 10 years. I still have a small Windows partition though to do hardware updates (eg flash bios, optical drive, etc).

Ah! That is a very good point. Are you saying that a Virtual drive with VMWare or VirtualBox will not enable you to update the Bios?

Ampers.

Elijah
April 22nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
I do, and I'm still a bit of a gamer. I use wine.

calc
April 22nd, 2008, 06:29 PM
Ah! That is a very good point. Are you saying that a Virtual drive with VMWare or VirtualBox will not enable you to update the Bios?

Ampers.

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work since VMWare for example has its own BIOS. If it does actually work I am not sure how it does. It might be able to work to update the firmware on an optical drive if VMWare has the option to allow the virtualized environment to see the real drive and send commands directly to it, but I doubt it even works for that.

El Puño
April 22nd, 2008, 06:35 PM

Ampers.

Sorry to interrupt.

Virtuals does not access the hardware directly but virtually. Thats why the same VM can run on different pc's (using known (virtual) hardware).

Updating the BIOS using a Windows program will (most likely) not work. It has only access to the virtual BIOS.

amazoohwawa
April 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
I'v been using ubuntu since march 3rd when I bought a laptop without an OS. I kept using my Win XP only for iTunes and Nokia PC Suite. The funny thing is that about a week after I got my new laptop, the Win XP laptop just died (or as I refer to it, just committed suicide) I now use my Nokia phone to get my podcasts and use my iPod touch to purchase music from iTunes. I hookup my Nokia phone with a cable to transfer photos. so long Windows, you will not be missed :)

wrikent3500
April 22nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
I`m using Ubuntu 7.10 on an Acer Aspire 3620.
It rocks...only need wifi...dvd playback and Lexmark x1270 to work and i will have one sweet system...
I don`t think that i`d go back to windows even if anyone from Redmond paid me...
It just works out of the CD...since there`s no phycial box...can`t techinally say box can i :lolflag:

csa
April 22nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
I am proud to say that I'm windows free now. I had both windows and ubuntu for about two months, and initially I wouldn't want to get rid of windows because I couldn't solve the video editing part. Finally, I found Kdenlive and it worked beautifully.

So, I got rid of Windows and now only have ubuntu. I do all my audio editing, video editing, blender animation, graphics, html, etc., in ubuntu with no problem at all. And the desktop with Avant Window Navigator and Cairo Desktop Clock just looks originally beautiful.

I love it, I don't understand why people keep using that Windows garbage...

Angus77
April 23rd, 2008, 01:20 AM
I've been using Ubuntu with no Windows partition since last summer. I have Wine installed, but I don't actually use it for anything (I'm not a gamer, and what else would you seriously need Wine for?)

The only time I use Windows is at work. I have a desktop on my desk top that's also running Ubuntu, but I'm not allowed to connect it to the network, so I need to use the company's Windows box to print things off.

The switch was surprisingly painless, aside from the odd 64-bit java plugin issues, and some issues with my Radeon card (which hasn't been a problem since upgrading to Gutsy).

I've gotta say, though, that I was motivated. I hated Windows for years before I even knew there was such a thing as GNU/Linux.

nokuku4u
April 23rd, 2008, 06:01 AM
I just completely switched from windows xp to kubuntu. have yet to regret switching. Kind of miss my games but once i get wine working i'm sure this will be the best OS i've ever used. i think i was born for it.

POW R TOC H
April 23rd, 2008, 09:46 AM
I switched completely a few months ago, and have no intention of going back.
I'm interested in system programming, not that I'm any good at it (yet), and digital electronics (microcontrollers, especially) so GNU/Linux OS is the best way to go, really. (Don't think that I'm some kind of crazy skilled programmer, I'm merely a beginner)

As for games, I only play Tremulous, and Sam & Max (with wine), so I don't really have to worry :)

Concerning stability and security, I'm impressed. It's sooo good not to worry about viruses or spyware or similar c*ap, and to go online without an anti-virus...

Canis familiaris
April 23rd, 2008, 11:12 AM
I use only Ubuntu. I am a casual gamer and I do miss FIFA 2008.

But Ubuntu can run CS, UT, Doom and Quake among others. In fact it is rumoured that Valve will port its games to Linux.

In the future I will maybe try Cedega because I cannot live without FIFA and also I do not wish to run Windows.

mardawi
April 23rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
dumped windows completely more than a year ago
:guitar:

I don't really miss anything. oh, well, sometimes visual studio!

Tigershell
April 23rd, 2008, 02:10 PM
I dual-boot XP from a small partition for any programs I need to use while studying, and occasionally a game or two.

With that said, I feel confident I could move completely to Ubuntu if I didn't require Windows for study.

jhf429
April 23rd, 2008, 02:15 PM
I have been Windows-free since October 2007 and I am still very happy with that decision. Everyday I love Ubuntu more and more. I don't miss Windows or any of its software whatsoever. :)

caravel
April 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
I use only Ubuntu. I am a casual gamer and I do miss FIFA 2008.

But Ubuntu can run CS, UT, Doom and Quake among others. In fact it is rumoured that Valve will port its games to Linux.

In the future I will maybe try Cedega because I cannot live without FIFA and also I do not wish to run Windows.

I have UT running on Linux, the only problem is the controls (cannot assign certain keys and keys get stuck), otherwise it works fine. I have Doom3 and Quake4 running perfectly though and I'm going to have a crack at getting UT2K4 running next.

powerpleb
April 23rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
My first Linux experience was Freespire about 4 months ago. I liked it but quickly broke it messing around as root and decided to install Ubuntu instead. I've only used XP a few times since then. Once was to get a wierd digital camera working, which I could have probably done in Linux, just didn't have the time. All the other times I've booted XP have been to check that it still works after fiddling with partitions or grub.

articpenguin
April 24th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I switched to linux full time last year, although i did try vista for a couple days and decided not to go back there ever.

MeduZa
April 24th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I only use Ubuntu... for 1 1/2 years now, maybe more. I deleted the unused NTFS particion!

Pumalite
April 24th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Happily I'm all Linux, except for a couple of Apple Laptops for more than a year now.

analoog
April 24th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I've totally switched to linux now with my new laptop.
So since ~6 weeks I've only used linux.

SirThom
April 24th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I also have a Macintosh, which I sometimes also use. The Pee Cee is switched over to Ubuntu (which is what I bought it for) and I have an external USB drive that I can use to boot into XP, but as of yet I haven't really felt compelled to. The only thing that I would want is Nero's lightscribe label designer software, which is a lot nicer then anything for Linux.
So, I ran Windows for a year but that was only because I couldn't get Linux working with some of my hardware, namely the Broadcom WiFi card. (I was trying to get openSuSE running, I don't know when ubuntu figured out how to support it.)

Ivan Kuznetsov
April 24th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I even have a precise date when I completely switched to Linux (http://www.ivankuznetsov.com/2007/09/i-moved-to-linux-completely.html) - September 2nd, 2007.

I should admit though that last week I installed Parallels and am running WinXP now as a guest OS - the only reason is that I need to debug web pages in IE as well.

tech0007
April 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Been using it since Feisty.

bigbrovar
April 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM
i run pure ubuntu now... no MS no NTFS ..

encompass
April 24th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Linux 9 years and running. Thanks for asking.

Cool Surfer
April 24th, 2008, 08:26 PM
With linux 8.04 ....... I thing I am going to permanently.

My only issues are reading .chm files. Many books come in that format.

bigbrovar
April 24th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Cool Surfer
Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?
With linux 8.04 ....... I thing I am going to permanently.

My only issues are reading .chm files. Many books come in that format.

open add and remove and type chm .. u would be suprised

ExpatPaul
April 24th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I've been dual booting since October (in theory - in practice I haven't looked at the Windows partition since the start of this year). So, with the release of Hardy, I have now reformatted my disk, reinstalled and am using Linux only at home

:guitar:

tegwilym
April 24th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I'm about 99.9% Ubuntu. I have windows on my other drive just for my Observatory since I can't get all that stuff working with my telescope and imaging cameras yet. Also photoshop still needs a tiny bit more work in Wine to work better.
Other than that, I'm nearly totally Ubuntu now. Even got my sister dual booting with Windows now - that's a big step!
Don't do a lot of Windows gaming anymore, if I need a game I'll just play my Xbox 360.

Just got an ASUS EEE PC recently and put Xubuntu on it. Sweet little rig! :)

Tom

maver1ck4000
April 25th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I have been using Linux off and on for quite a while, I started messing with RedHat and Mandrake when I was in college, then my buddy and I got in to Gentoo, and now since I started my Sys Admin job I have switched to Ubuntu for my work laptop, and work on RedHat and Solaris at work. At home I triple boot Ubuntu, XP x64 and XP 32 just for those little things that don't work on 64 bit XP. I am planning on getting comepletely away from MS if I can get COD4 to run on it. I still use virtual box with XP on my work laptop because there are some apps that are to much trouble to get to work.

adlin5000
April 25th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I started with Linux about 2 years ago when I inherited a bunch of computer parts from a roommate that up and diapered. It had a pirate copy of windoz that he took on line and got corrupted. Tried Fox Desktop first, but could not get it to work. Went with Slackware next but even less success there. I was toying with a Live CD of Knopix when I found Ubuntu. Installed flawlessly on the first try. Ran ridiculously slow on that box, so I went with Xubuntu and IceWM, and ran just fine. I have built a new box from the ground up and the closest thing to a MS product that has been on it is Wine.

Gaming can bit a bit frustrating but it is getting better. A little tweaking and looking at open source options and you can do just fine.

Frak
April 25th, 2008, 03:50 AM
After installing Ubuntu in a dual boot, it has become my number one choice. In fact I find using XP rather annoying :lolflag: but it takes a couple of weeks to get familiar with Linux.

Using Ubuntu (8) for administrative purposes, still using XP to games and special applications (Netobjects, wintrack, etc.).

If Linux should be a real alternative to Winblows, the gaming issue has to be solved. A DirectX emulation or ??
Wine emulates a DX layer for any application that requests it.

George W. Tush
April 25th, 2008, 04:21 AM
I've been solely Ubuntu for about a year. I was double booting Ubuntu and XP, but GRUB screwed up. Badly. And resisted all attempts at repair.

I had to wipe it out. My move to 100% Ubuntu was as much about avoiding GRUB as it was about leaving XP. I still crave an Ubuntu compatible QuickBooks.

Simpatico
April 25th, 2008, 04:26 AM
It's been all Linux at my home for 3 years.

nakah1
April 25th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I dropped Ubuntu 8.04, because my scanner (Canon 4400F), GPS (MIO C710), digital video camera (Sony TRV22) not working. When all devices working, I will use Ubuntu.

XYU
April 25th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Ive been completely independent of windows for about a year and it feels awesome :D

Simon Bridge
April 25th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I dropped Ubuntu 8.04, because my scanner (Canon 4400F), GPS (MIO C710), digital video camera (Sony TRV22) not working. When all devices working, I will use Ubuntu.

Well, if you buy windows hardware, what do you expect? It's like saying you wont move to windows until it supports you mac hardware.

Clearly, it is less financially expensive for you to remain with a legacy system than upgrade to good hardware. This is understandable. However - you can plan to replace your low-grade HW as it wears out. Or sell it off to someone more locked-in than you are.

At some point you'll have a 100% free system. Away you go.

For my part - I used to keep an old PII + Win98 around (I got it off a junk pile), headless + VNC, networked to my linux box. It's job was to act as a server for those few hardware items whose vendors chose not to prop up the MS hegemony.

Eventually, they all went - I discovered that some of them were so rapcay that I couldn't give them away. I finally chucked a light linux on the Win98 box and gave that away.

It wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be.

Simon Bridge
April 25th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Ive been completely independent of windows for about a year and it feels awesome :D
Amazing isn't it?

Last year, I had a job orienting year-1 university students to gnu/linux. These folk were being forced to use linux by their course. They did not want to.

They would enter the class late, drag their feet and grumble. I'd sit them down and get them started. About 10 mins into the course, the atmosphere would change.

At the end of the course I have to boot people out of the lab - they don't want to stop. (But there's another class...) There's an excitement and a feeling of horizons opening up - some people find it scary.

The other thing that happens is that it is difficult to keep students on the core skills part of the course - they want to explore the new horizons. So I don't bother.

I have never seen this in a proprietary software course!

viiv
April 25th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I am almost completely switched over. I have had to abandon iMesh (legal p2p, unlimited downloads for $7 per month) because they don't support Linux -doesn't work in WINE. I am also having to use a separate windows PC to run photoshop and illustrator (I have yet to find comparable programs offered by Linux). It is my desire to completely switch over though. Maybe one day. I was happy to recently find a good gui html editor similar to Dreamweaver, and a good flash editor. That definitely helps come closer to cutting the cord for good!

tegwilym
April 25th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Yesterday I downloaded 8.04, it didn't take too long even without using a bitorrent. Maybe 20 minutes.
I burned it to a CD, backed up my \home directory onto my XP drive then started the installation. 20 minutes later I had a new and fully functional OS installed. Took another 20 minutes to move my data back over, did some updates and I'm pretty much done!
I still have to install some stuff, but the servers were pretty bogged down, but I'll get to it.

Super low stress, efficient and very easy upgrade. If this was Microsoft XP or Vista, I'd still be working on this 5 hours later. I was to the point I was hating computers and thinking of a career change, but Ubuntu has changed my mind and I enjoy computer again. I'm working at a company that uses a lot of Linux/unix and I'm doing well. I still have to support windows, but we are slowly turning into a Mac company (Hey, Mac is awesome too!).

Two thumbs up for the Ubuntu developers. Great job guys!!!

Tom

milosz.galazka
April 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Hi, I use linux/unix for ~8 years. First time linux was installed by my friend (his father was using linux at work (police) as I remember).

First contact was very hard but also enjoying :) I used very slow modem to connect to the internet :) Even today console is my best friend...

Actually I use FreeBSD or Debian on my home servers, Ubuntu on home desktops and mostly Windows at work ;p

mssg131187
April 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I completely removed xp from my laptop for ubuntu, two weeks ago and don't even want to see a windows os again, but might have to get parallels since some of the software isn't compatible with linux. Just love it and learning unix commands so I can use the Terminal instead of the mouse.

rjs987
April 25th, 2008, 11:58 PM
2 months ago yesterday I bought all new hardware and built a new computer. This one has never seen Windows of any kind. I like the banner on a website I saw a few weeks ago
"In a world without walls or fences who needs windows or gates"

Anyway, I spent the 2 months before that searching for and finding Linux replacements for what I used on my old Windows XP box. The biggies were Quicken, Palm PIM, photo printing, scanning, and GPS. I never did get my Palm PDA to sync with my test laptop running Kubuntu, but didn't try jpilot either. As chance would have it my Palm PDA bit the dust about Christmas time so that got replaced with a Nokia N800.

During the transition time I was testing a few financial programs and settled on Moneydance, even though I have to pay a little bit for it. I figured that the price is worth it since this is the only financial program that successfully imported my data from Quicken. I had 11 years of data in Quicken, which was really too much to deal with at one time so I performed an End of Year archive and started the new data file 3 years ago. I only needed to fix a few split transactions and convert my mortgage from a liability to a loan account in MD. I ran both Quicken and MD in parallel on my old Windows box while shopping for the new hardware and after a month of that dropped Quicken altogether since there were no differences in accuracy.

Photo printing was not so good from Kubuntu on my Cannon Pixma ip3000 printer. Any attempt turned out a psychedelic print with a border around 3 sides. Scanning was even worse since my Visioneer scanner is not at all supported in any way on anything but Windows. Well, it was an older scanner and with the photo printing as it was I did some looking and replaced both the printer and scanner with a HP c6280 all-in-one unit, upgraded HPLIP to the current version and I am in business again with scanning, borderless photo prints and all.

The GPS unit is a Garmin. That is also not supported (effectively) on Linux and I don't use it enough to justify replacing it with a TomTom GPS, which is Linux ready. When I need to I will install vmware and a vm with Windows XP as guest OS to run just the GPS. But as of now I have not powered on the old Windows box for 2 months (except for once for a few hours to grab one last backup of any files I wanted to save from it).

I am really not a gamer so can't answer to that. I will say that during my testing on my old laptop, linux ran much better than windows ever did. In fact I installed vmware server with a vm of windows and that even ran better than the native install of windows. I had the same setup at work except a much more powerful machine with Vista (forced on me) and a vmware server running a vm with Windows XP (due to a required program not working in Vista) any my little laptop was STILL running circles around that setup! Love it.

LolItsGriff
April 26th, 2008, 12:56 AM
I did n ___n.

I got this computer a few weeks ago, near my birthday. It was pre-installed w/ vista and worked surprisingly well. I had no complaints. Vista has its high points and low points and I accepted it as my OS of Choice at the time. Plus, it was gorgeous and I had well over the required specs to run it at full power.

But I was a HDD freak and didn't like to have more than 30 gigs taken at all. And I have a 320 gig harddrive. Windows took up about 23 gigs of space. I myself only took up 17 gigs. it kinda freaked me out when I'd go below 270 free gigs (I know this math is off.. I'm just throwing numbers). So I was looking for low cost alternatives, whether it be external HDDs or stuff. Cause I love me some movies.

Well, I had just finished ripping cloverfield to my computer, and I realized I had 269 gigs left. Below 270. It made me upset. So I burnt everything I wanted (a movie and some episodes of my favorite anime) to a DVD and just decided that the only other thing I had on my computer was antivirus. So I just made the switch figuring if anything went wrong I could convert back.

I really do enjoy ubuntu now. Mostly because of the feeling of invincibility when I fix a problem in the console. It makes me really uber happy. I've only been a user for about 12 hours, but Believe me, it's been 12 hours of pure joy. Even with its small issues, I think this OS is very well worthy enough to be used in the open market. Ubuntu all the way!

frootloop
April 26th, 2008, 01:01 AM
With 7.10 I've ditched Windows finally. Wine is usually good enough for the odd windows app I need to run, and I'm considering changing this to running virtualbox instead. Moving to console gaming has cut my last tie to windows ;)

arashiko28
April 26th, 2008, 01:02 AM
YEIII!!! I did!!! I deleted my windows partition!!!! But will install a virtual machine because of my pocket pc, need the damn activeX.... If anyone knows about a linux distro for mobile device please let me know, you can pm me, I have an HP IPAQ RX3715.

Joeb454
April 26th, 2008, 01:45 AM
I might as well be a full time Linux User.

I keep XP for a few games (I have a console for gaming). And Vista for a couple of things also. Mainly these are there to keep myself familiar with them, as I'm the family IT guy. And I know I need to know the OS for employment reasons, before I manage to switch said companies to Linux ;)

Sadly that won't be for a while - I'm still in University :p

scottslinux
April 26th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I have been using Linux for about 3 years. Started with dual boot and eventually moved completely to kubuntu. Exorcised that demon windows from my system. When I must run a windows app...ie explorer for my company website or aopa flight planner, I install them using crossover. Works flawlessly! Gimp rocks...stopped using photoshop. Xplane instead of the other guys. krdc for remoting. Abi and Open office...I could go on.

I would recommend dual booting and working at solving all of you issues and then one day jumping from the nest...you will never look back! Long live linux!

Scott

friendofpugs
April 26th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I completely removed xp from my laptop for ubuntu, two weeks ago and don't even want to see a windows os again, but might have to get parallels since some of the software isn't compatible with linux. Just love it and learning unix commands so I can use the Terminal instead of the mouse.

I am completely in this camp. After dual booting with XP for only a week on my laptop, I took the plunge with the release of Hardy and overwrote both XP and 7.10 with 8.04. I just enabled the compiz-fusion and I am laughing as I write this, rotating squares. Who laughs with XP? Besides, I'm getting a hot desktop for web work at home, set up for Linux (Ubuntu, of course) so there's no looking back. I only wish I did this years ago...

wolffangalchemist
April 26th, 2008, 08:58 AM
i had been duel booting linux and windows for about half a week i only used windows for MSN Messenger and WOW and all other things on Ubuntu 7.10 I switched over completely when windows got a blue screen and i had to reboot it after that it wouldn't boot said there was a error in windows files. and wanted me to reinstall it but i was sick of the CPU hogging vista!!
so i just reformatted my hard drive and installed Ubuntu 7.10 as the only os not long after that i found wine and aMSN and I've been happy with Ubuntu ever since its only been 2 weeks since then i have upgraded to hardy and i will never go back
its just all around better and if you do have problems this form is more helpful than any tech support i have ever gotten from Microsoft!
*puts vista DVD in the microwave*

rudihawk
April 26th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Ive been dual booting for about 6months now, I sadly have to keep windows around for:
1)Games
2)School related programs that I need - sigh.

TOM_C_A_T
April 26th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I have kept my system on multi-boot with FuXP,

'cause I'm in field of Cyber Forensics n got to work with XP

without virtualization many times,

but I never use that **** for Internet, daily use, storage, backup whatever you say,

VLC works fine for Multimedia,

and as I can remember I've not booted fuxp in last 2 months .

Hail Linux !

It is real Candy FLOSS to rejoice your computing experience !

MrWES
April 26th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I've completely given up on windows, and run only Ubuntu on two desktops I have. Unfortunately, my wife still has XP on her laptop -- but I've been working on her :)

Bill

Fedz
April 26th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I've been using Ubuntu since 6.10 but, was dual booting at first until window$ decided not to boot into then I just reformatted and went completely to Ubuntu as I was fed-up with window$ and anyway I was using window$ less-and-less but, not used window$ for many, many months to the point even at work I struggle to help people when they're stuck on XP :lolflag:

hatman
April 26th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Took the opportunity of Hardy's release to finally remove the dual=boot and Windows partitions... all Linux now... :o

brewstah
April 26th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I was running Dapper and WinXP in a dual boot setup for a couple of years. I found I was using Dapper 98% of the time and was only rebooting into WinXP when I wanted to perform a few minor tasks I hadn't figured out how to do in Linux (mainly transcoding certain video files).

Then the hard disk that had WinXP on it failed. And Hardy RC was just out. So I took the opportunity to backup my data to DVDRs, run vendor diags on the drive from which Dapper booted (including low-level format), and performed a clean install of Hardy RC x86_64. There were a few bumps along the way. For me it was the easiest Linux install yet.

With Hardy 64-bit I found I no longer needed Windows. The functions I needed WinXP to perform had been included in the newer versions and additional apps included in the repositories. The few Win32 freewares I prefer over their Linux equivalents (IrfanView, PowerPost-A&A, utorrent, Rname-it, DVDFab HD Decryptor) run fine under WINE after installing via Synaptic and running a script (found elsewhere in these forums) that updated the redistributables.

The system and software seems to run faster and more smoothly than before; even the new version of Open Office.

I have absolutely no reason to use Windows. So I won't unless forced. :p :D

cdobica
April 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Visit this link and see if youlike that:

http://www.playonlinux.com/es/download.html

couzin2000
April 26th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Switched from Windows XP SP2 to Ubuntu Linux 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) about 9 months ago... haven't looked back since. I now have Gutsy installed on my desktop on laptop, and have just downloaded Hardy Heron... should be great to install those (for those of you who wanna know, I'm NOT upgrading - I'm starting from scratch. Last upgrade messed up my system pretty bad.)

Praise Linux!

bloodrose
April 26th, 2008, 08:55 PM
So many responses, where to start...

I've been running dual boot Ubuntu and XP for about a year now. I absolutely love Ubuntu, but a few nagging things keep Windows on my computers...

1) I'm a computer technician, so most of what I come into contact with is Windows, with the occasional Mac. You just don't see many people with ANY flavor of Linux asking for computer help - they generally either know what they're doing, or they know avenues of support that prevent them from hiring someone to help them.

2) I'm a gamer - but before you mention all the ways there are to get my favorite Windows games (Guild Wars, Oblivion, and more) running, even perfectly, under Linux, I have noticed that they always run better under Windows. This, however, will eventually be rectified - it's some of my hardware, as most of it came from Dell, and in the (hopefully) near future I will be making purchases with gaming in Linux in mind.

3) I like XP. I know what some Microsoft haters will say. I know what some others will think. But honestly, I like XP more than any other flavor of Windows - after I've tweaked it to do exactly what I want.

I'll be a faithful Ubuntu user for as long as possible. I LOVE it.

P.S. - Vista sucks. Microsoft should listen to its customers. Just a thought.

Kotjze
April 28th, 2008, 05:27 AM
I started using Ubuntu when Edgy first came out. I learned how to use it just by asking friends on IRC (which is where I heard about Ubuntu), and by searching these forums. I was on and off between Ubuntu and Windows because I didn't like the alternatives to my Windows programs.

When Feisty came out, I started using it again, and I figured out how to install proprietary drivers for my ATI card and my horrible Broadcom wireless. I don't really remember, but something went wrong with my Ubuntu partition and I couldn't boot into it, so I just got rid of it.

I didn't really do much with Gutsy; just fooled around like in Feisty.

I installed the release candidate of Hardy and it got my ATI card and wireless working with just a few clicks, rather than following guides upon guides like I did with Feisty. Right now I have everything set up perfectly the way I want, and the only Windows program I miss is Acoustica Mixcraft, which runs fine in Wine, so I can still use it. I haven't booted into Windows since I installed Hardy, and I'm going to get rid of Windows after I back-up my files.

The next laptop I buy, I'm going to make sure it has a graphics and wireless card that work out of the box in Ubuntu, but for now, I'm glad that I can get my current hardware running in Hardy with no trouble at all. :)

Dekkon
April 28th, 2008, 05:31 AM
I probably will when KDE 4.1 is released. :D I'm stoked.

Island_Jon
April 28th, 2008, 09:06 AM
My work has switched all the heavy duty graphical data display over from HP UNIX to Red Hat.

gareth_005
April 28th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I have been trying linux for about the last 12 years but never found a distro which I liked.

I started using dapper in 2006, when I first saw what vista was going to
look like. I started with a dual boot XP system.
In 2007 I installed feisty and did away with the XP partition, today I am configuring hardy, so far it is excellent (Besides not shutting down completely).

I now have a server running an aspx .net web site(Dapper), A file server(Gutsy), My 4 year old daughter's pc(Gutsy), My pc(Hardy), My wife still uses XP.

I use windows in VirtualBox as I am a .Net developer and I still like coding in SharpDevelop more than MonoDevelop (MonoDevelop is almost ready).

I now have Vista at work and I am glad that I made the switch to ubuntu 2 years ago, vista is not very nice, I noticed that the fonts in ubuntu are now better than vista.

NIT006.5
April 29th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Running Gutsy on work desktop, home PC and laptop. All soon to be upgraded to Hardy. I have NO plans of letting Vista get anywhere near ANY of my machines.

mormor
April 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Atm I'm 100% ubuntu, but unless I stop gaming for ever, I will get myself a pretty decent xp-based comp in a while, just so I can keep playing the games I love. Css, FM, etc. But when it comes to functionality, looks, speed, stability. I will stay with linux. So two worlds really, untill someone makes a completely foolproof = PC-Gaming-Emulator, install, plug and play for ubuntu : )

nico_h
April 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM
100% ubuntu, been on linux from jan. 2005 and ubuntu since sept. 2006. also running faunos on usb key

mrgnash
April 29th, 2008, 05:17 PM
100% Linux here. I don't even use Wine or VMWare.

I kept XP around for gaming until just recently, when I worked out that I was actually pretty tired of the game scene and had no more use for it.

tw3k
April 29th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I switched from OSX to linux on the run up to Leopard. Don't miss OSX at all.

thiebaude
April 29th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I have No Windows on my machine, just Ubuntu 8.04

Worp8d
April 29th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I switched from XP/Vista to Ubuntu 7.10 then 8.04. 7.10 had it cons, but far, far more pros. 8.04 rocks. I'll never go back. I can do everything I can do in Windows but better and legally free. Office, Python, Matlab, CAD, PCB design etc. etc. etc. The only thing it doesn't do is games, but hey, there's a big world out there.