PDA

View Full Version : How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Ryangarve
October 25th, 2007, 04:11 AM
I have used Windows all my life and was very content with it. I tried draper when it came out but wasn't ready to make the change. I messed around with gutsy and figured I would dual boot and give it a try. In about 10 minutes I decided I'm never going back to windows.

wub
October 25th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Two things keep me booting the Windows partition I left on my computer.

One: I still have legacy aps I have to maintain, built in Delphi, which, despite Kylix is more Windows-specific than Microsoft.

Two: I still can't figure out how to keep my system from spontaneously restarting at midnight when I halt from Ubuntu. If I halt from Windows, the system stays halted.

Everything else is pure Ubuntu!

Aquaman420
October 26th, 2007, 12:04 AM
I started using linux with Fedora 4. Total disaster. Back to MS. Around 2 months after failing with F4 my buddy told me about something called Ubuntu. So I tried it. Never left. Never going back!!

Kuptis
October 26th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Once I can get past installation issues and really start using it the only time I will ever use Windows is on a machine that is not mine.

Psy-Krow
October 26th, 2007, 06:37 AM
226 pages. truly an epic thread

i was a windows user from the relase of 95 through XP, i tried SUSE 4 years ago for about a month but gave up after peer pressure to play certain games and frustration for not being patient or intelligent enough to figure things out.

2 months ago i decided i needed to give up playing games all the time, and I certainly had NO intentions of buying Vista.. i thought a new OS would help with that so i installed 7.04 at a friends suggestion, and i was blown away.

upgraded to 7.10 and the tables have turned... i'll never go back to closed source again.

my only "problem" is that most of the games i still want to play... are actually playable on linux in some fashion. and as the exodus from windows continues to grow, more and more games will be ported. *sigh* hehe

i only regret not being knowledgeable enough to contribute to the community more.

thank you to everyone that made Ubuntu possible

wolfen69
October 26th, 2007, 07:14 AM
once i got an HP printer, i wiped my xp drive. it was a great feeling. but i still get to "use" windows. it's how i make my money. (fixing)

Crafty Kisses
October 26th, 2007, 07:24 AM
I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.

I switched completly, and just to let you know, iD Software releases all Quake games for Linux too. :)

padlan
October 26th, 2007, 07:25 AM
I started with win 98 in the year 2000, moved to xp when it came out, dual booted win xp with Linspire in 2004, then dual booted win xp and Dapper in 2006, then went solo with Dapper the same year, and now am solo with Gutsy. I don't do games so I don't need ms for anything. I'm a happy camper.:guitar:

stoodleysnow
October 26th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I started using Ubuntu last September.
Ee, 'twas like beng enlightened.
There is a God!

No more Microsoft
No more Monopolism
No more being ripped off summat weird for rubbish bits of closed source #&:-#*'!

Pour me another cup of Ubuntu, dear. I'm staying!:)
\\:D/

snerd
October 26th, 2007, 12:56 PM
The snerdman says.............. I started with Windows 3.11 in 1995 on a Packard Hell with a 420mb hard drive and 8mb ram and thought I was first class. :lolflag:

Went through most of the winbloze releases, 95, 98, 2k, xp. Wow! That's 12 years of the devil's deeds! So..... last night I wiped my drive and installed Ubuntu exclusively. This way I have to learn it! So far it's like being a kid again with a new toy! I'm out there and I'm loving it! At 52 I didn't think I would ever get excited about computers again, but this linux is a new challenge and is quite fun!

I do think I'll miss Quicken, but I put it on the wife's winbloze box so she can do that stuff now. :)

carry on........................

MariusSilverwolf
October 26th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Oh goodness, where do I start?

I was introduced to the Commodore 64 by playing games on it at my dad's friend's house in 1984.

We bought our first home PC with Windows 3.0 in 1989 (I think, maybe 1988).

We bought our second machine, with Windows 95A (Fat16 only, max partition size of 2 GB) in 1996.

I upgraded the hell out of that thing and installed Windows 98SE in 1998.

Put together my first personal system and threw Windows 98SE on it in 1999.

Installed Windows 2000 in Dual-Boot setup on that same system in 2000.

Built a new system and installed XP on it in 2002. For free. 'cause Microsoft Developer's conference holders gave me a pre-public final build copy.

Finally wised up, dumped Windows after having every Service Pack tell me my fully licensed and legal copy was illegal back in June, installed Feisty Fawn64 on my fairly recently built virtually silent system. Upgraded to Gutsy with minimal (re: Linksys Wireless USB NIC) issues.

The work laptop still uses XP Pro, I've no choice in that, but at home my system is all Ubuntu all the time.

I've tried convincing my wife to switch, but she's too embedded in Windows to remove herself without crashing.

bluedragon436
November 2nd, 2007, 08:40 AM
I have three desktops and two laptops and as of right now I have converted one of the laptops and two of the desktops over to Ubuntu....I use my other desktop to pretty much game only...and the same goes for the other laptop.... Gaming is the only reason I can't convert all of my computers over as of right now..although I don't game that often when I do get that itch I want the computer to do so....

jpittack
November 2nd, 2007, 08:50 AM
Still using Windows when the need arises for a quick way of getting something done, rather then learning how to do it in Ubuntu.

ErwinC
November 2nd, 2007, 08:56 AM
100% (k)ubuntu since Feisty

teknorah
November 3rd, 2007, 04:14 AM
I have three desktops and two laptops and as of right now I have converted one of the laptops and two of the desktops over to Ubuntu....I use my other desktop to pretty much game only...and the same goes for the other laptop.... Gaming is the only reason I can't convert all of my computers over as of right now..although I don't game that often when I do get that itch I want the computer to do so....

What games do you play? I play WoW on my amd64 ubuntu 7.10 in Wine just fine...

teknorah
November 3rd, 2007, 04:22 AM
I've tried convincing my wife to switch, but she's too embedded in Windows to remove herself without crashing.

I have the same prob w/ my bf :) The other day he was telling me about this discount he could get for Vista..... you should have seen me cringe. 'Cause I am his tech support.... On one hand, I would like to know about Vista, so I can legitimately complain and know what I am talking about, but on the other hand, I have heard SOOOO many nightmares, I just don't know if I even want to touch it. I hope to at least get my bf to hold of for another year, after a couple service packs :)

teknorah
November 3rd, 2007, 04:24 AM
I have used Windows all my life and was very content with it. I tried draper when it came out but wasn't ready to make the change. I messed around with gutsy and figured I would dual boot and give it a try. In about 10 minutes I decided I'm never going back to windows.

That's awesome Ryan! Ubuntu has come a long way since Dapper. Welcome (back?) to the open source/free community!

joe.turion64x2
November 3rd, 2007, 06:39 AM
Almost a year after completely switching to Linux, I can only be comfortable in front of a computer if it has Linux on it. For me the switch means that I have found ways to do all of MY work in Linux and therefore have no compelling reason to run Windows, although I may occasionally run it in my laptop.

Unfortunately (because I feel uncomfortable) I have to use Windows at work, but I managed to get a Linux installation there too.

Thanks.
Joe.

FG123
November 3rd, 2007, 06:46 AM
Almost a year after completely switching to Linux, I can only be comfortable in front of a computer if it has Linux on it. For me the switch means that I have found ways to do all of MY work in Linux and therefore have no compelling reason to run Windows, although I may occasionally run it in my laptop.
I think that's a very important thing to make mention of. I've finally managed to convert entirely to Linux, save for Vista running in VMware, but that doesn't really count. Point is, the longer you spend exclusively (or almost exclusively) with Linux, the more natural it will be to you and hence the concerns you might originally have about Linux being too difficult... will soon fade away. It's all about perseverance.

tubasoldier
November 3rd, 2007, 07:26 AM
I just want to post here just so it will go back to the top. just for no reason. a crappy bump if you will. MUAHAHA!

dcnarad
November 3rd, 2007, 12:59 PM
I switched to linux in 2003 with Suse but went back to XP since the sound and ethernet did not work. I came back to Linux 2004 when I got a new laptop (kept the XP partition for 6 months just in case i need it) This time I tried a whole bunch of live CD b4 I settled for Debian. 2006 I switched to Kubuntu (dont think I'll ever go back).

At work I use a Mac (I dont think they'll be happy if I changed it to linux) but I've been using NeoOffice and have been Microsoft free for ever.

Hooray Linux, Hooray KDE and Hooray Open/Neo Office

esaym
November 3rd, 2007, 04:12 PM
I switched. Had to stop gaming. I have lots of free time now. It is great.

cwrann
November 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
My main home desktop has had ubuntu on it since august. I dual booted for a couple of weeks until I had a place for all my files to go when they left XP. I put xubuntu on my decade old laptop and it runs better than ever. I still have windows at work and get so fed up with it everytime I sit down in front of it and wait for it to finish booting up that I can't wait to switch that too. I just need to finish testing out the "MS Money" type programs until I feel comfortable that I can keep all my invoices etc. on an ubuntu OS. I would never go back to windows.

jglepage
November 3rd, 2007, 05:32 PM
I love Linux, especially Ubuntu, but I'll probably never be freed from windoze.

I do a lot of web programming and I need to see how things look on all versions of windows and all versions of IE. At home I have one Win2k box and a bunch of windows virtual machines running on my main ubuntu system. I have one Mac Mini. The other machines (I have between 10 and 20 operational at any one time) are all Linux, mostly some derivative of ubuntu.

Why do I have 20 machines? My hobby is re-furbishing old junk. Sometimes for myself, sometimes for installation at schools.

The Win2k box come in handy for running dvddecrypter and ripit4me. Yes, I know dvddecrypter runs under wine, but I'm too lazy to deal with installing it.

joe.turion64x2
November 3rd, 2007, 07:34 PM
I switched. Had to stop gaming. I have lots of free time now. It is great.
I think that is the correct attitude to be taken in this case. OK, you can no longer play your (?, if they are original, that's it) Windows games but have an excellent system to work with along with its own games (if you still wanna play). If I had the time I would be playing The Battle for Wesnoth for example (a nice Linux game), or Tetravex. Good bye Age of Empires!

Thanks.
Joe.

joe.turion64x2
November 3rd, 2007, 07:36 PM

I do a lot of web programming and I need to see how things look on all versions of windows and all versions of IE. At home I have one Win2k box and a bunch of windows virtual machines running on my main ubuntu system. I have one Mac Mini. The other machines (I have between 10 and 20 operational at any one time) are all Linux, mostly some derivative of ubuntu.

Why do I have 20 machines? My hobby is re-furbishing old junk. Sometimes for myself, sometimes for installation at schools.

The Win2k box come in handy for running dvddecrypter and ripit4me. Yes, I know dvddecrypter runs under wine, but I'm too lazy to deal with installing it.
That ought to make up a high electricity bill!

Falseblue
November 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Vista is my main OS. Need it for CounterStrike (a big gamer, I am), iTunes, and everything in between.

Just installed Ubuntu today, so, Ill see how it goes.

smortaus
November 3rd, 2007, 09:15 PM
I have been using Linux for about three months - I had enough of the other OS - and enjoy Ubuntu very much ... well I did until 7.10 came out - since the upgrade I have had many issues - like loss of permissions - loss of program's like Open Office - nothing seems to be stable - Non reliable - If I wanted unstable upgrades I might as well stayed with that other OS - at least with them you expected stuff ups ...

JESSU
November 3rd, 2007, 11:17 PM
I have only used windows once since installing Ubuntu. That was only to convert a video for my Sansa.

-grubby
November 3rd, 2007, 11:22 PM
I do a lot of web programming and I need to see how things look on all versions of windows and all versions of IE.

how many people do you know that run Windows 95 with Internet explorer 4.0?

Cee415
November 4th, 2007, 09:45 AM

I've totally switched to Linux. From a Windows XP Professional straight to Ubuntu. and IMO its the best switch I have ever done for my computer. No more slowing down and cluster for me. :) but again its up to you to decide.

ellis rowell
November 4th, 2007, 12:00 PM

The only problems that I have found with websites has been when the webmaster has used a Windows specific editor (that's asking for trouble). Use a cross platform editor and you should have no problems. Remember! the best adage is KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid). Most problems seem to occur when someone prints out a page. For all pages which are intended to be printed, I use .pdf files, they can be printed perfectly at any size, with the original layout and fonts.

canceLinux
November 4th, 2007, 12:06 PM
more than 2 years.. :guitar:

MSchenker
November 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I'm ready to switch to Kubuntu full-time! I've been running a dual-boot system (Windows XP and Kubuntu).

I've already deleted the Windows partition.

Can someone please give me a set of simple instructions for resizing the Kubuntu partition to take over the whole drive?

Thanks,
Matt

bhencetotozo
November 4th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I like Ubuntu better than windows but , i dont know...

its almost impossible for a pothead like me to memoryze all the APT get dd sh ./ blablabla **** ...

I was good at MS DOS but this **** is MUCH more complicated it is very hard to understand -help but..

I stored every tutorial and Forum resolvements in a html file so. ;) if i crash ill be able to make my linux look pretty again...

my linux is ULTRA 3d !!!!!!!!!1 thanks to Maestro23 and carlinuxlearner

and yeah, whenever i can make me WINEHQ work ill delet all my windows partitions...

joe.turion64x2
November 4th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I'm ready to switch to Kubuntu full-time! I've been running a dual-boot system (Windows XP and Kubuntu).

I've already deleted the Windows partition.

Can someone please give me a set of simple instructions for resizing the Kubuntu partition to take over the whole drive?

Thanks,
Matt
I don't know resizing the partition would be the best idea, I'd rather create a new partition and mount it somewhere (perhaps under your home directory, for storage..who knows). The easiest way to do either thing is with Gnome Partition Editor (Gparted), you can install it with Synaptic if it is not already installed.

If you decided to create a new partition then you'll need to edit /etc/fstab to set the mount options.

Joe.

Zipster90
November 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I am finally proud to say that I have 99.99999% switched to Linux. The only thing I use windows for is for Microsoft Office. Other than that, it's all tux.

mnml
November 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I am finally proud to say that I have 99.99999% switched to Linux. The only thing I use windows for is for Microsoft Office. Other than that, it's all tux.

I found openoffice better , now MS Office look really awfull with the new "fancy" layout.

entangled
November 4th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Linux - Ubuntu - now works as well as or better than Windows for most tasks that I need so I've switched completely. Windows is no easier than Linux when you're building a system - as I do for a living. Dealing with Windows licensing and 'protection' software (AV, Malware, extra security, etc) is a pain that we could all do without.
IMO Windows is also no easier than Linux when running applications. It's a different GUI - but then so is Vista (less said the better).

jav_
November 4th, 2007, 08:05 PM
i aswell have completely switched to linux!

peterson2k4
November 4th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Hello, my name is Paul and I have been Windows free for 9 months.

Vitamin-Carrot
November 4th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Hi, My names carrot and im a recovering windows addict for 6 months

spec-chum
November 4th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I have to use Windows at work, but at home I'm now completely Windows-free.
I've been wanting this to be the case at home for a while now, but now all my
hardware and software works it is.

This machine only has Ubuntu on it.

FG123
November 4th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Hi, my name's FG123/FoolsGold/GFree/several other names I've used here in the past.

Let's see if I manage this time...

georges023
November 4th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I still use XP for Photoshop or resolving troubles that cuts my internet connection :S

But ubuntu for everything else

ericartman
November 4th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Well last night sometime around midnight I trashed my MBR with a combination of Blue Agave tequila and Pmagic. Was too far gone to figure it out with supergrub so I just formatted my drive with the last copy of Vista on it and this morning installed Ubuntu Ultimate. No more fall back training wheels, Love Ultimate. BB bill

Cart.

MSchenker
November 5th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I don't know resizing the partition would be the best idea, I'd rather create a new partition and mount it somewhere (perhaps under your home directory, for storage..who knows). The easiest way to do either thing is with Gnome Partition Editor (Gparted), you can install it with Synaptic if it is not already installed.

If you decided to create a new partition then you'll need to edit /etc/fstab to set the mount options.

Joe.

Thanks for the note. I have to admit, I'm still a little confused here.

Here's the configuration I currently have:
4GB partition (/dev/sda1) for Kubuntu
243MB Linux-swap partition
70GB "unallocated" free space (used to be a Windows partition that I deleted)

What's the easiest way to let Kubuntu make use of the whole hard drive? Should I just run the Kubuntu install program again using the large free space that used to be for Windows?

Thanks,
Matt

MSchenker
November 5th, 2007, 01:12 AM
joe.turion64x2,
I just installed GParted as you suggested, and I think I see what you're saying now.

Are you suggesting I create a new 70GB partition that I can use for storage, and leave the 4GB partition for program files?

I was hoping to just have one large partition that contains program files and storage. But maybe it's better the way you're suggesting.

After creating the new partition, I formatted it as EXT3. When I go to Dolphin, I see the partition showing up under "Storage Media." But when I try to open the partition, I get the following error:
"hal-storage-fixed-mount refused uid 1000"

I can't seem to access thie new partition.

What in the world does that error mean, and how do I fix it?

Matt

joe.turion64x2
November 5th, 2007, 06:50 AM
joe.turion64x2,
I just installed GParted as you suggested, and I think I see what you're saying now.

Are you suggesting I create a new 70GB partition that I can use for storage, and leave the 4GB partition for program files?

I was hoping to just have one large partition that contains program files and storage. But maybe it's better the way you're suggesting.

After creating the new partition, I formatted it as EXT3. When I go to Dolphin, I see the partition showing up under "Storage Media." But when I try to open the partition, I get the following error:
"hal-storage-fixed-mount refused uid 1000"

I can't seem to access thie new partition.

What in the world does that error mean, and how do I fix it?

Matt
Have not got that error before.

It is definitely a better idea to have more than one Linux partitions, in the case you wanted to reinstall Linux for example your data would be left intact.

In my Linux systems I use to install them in a "small" partition ~10GB and create another large partition to store my data. I usually mount it inside my home directory so I can easily access it.
Here is my fstab file so you can get an idea of how to edit yours:

LABEL=/1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda3 swap swap defaults 0 0
LABEL=SWAP-sda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda7 /home/joe/storage ext3 defaults 0 0

the last one is my 'external' partition. Note that the steps to do this are the following:
1.- Create a directory to mount the partition from (in my case it is named storage).
2.- Add the relevant entry to fstab, check the partition name in Gparted. Type sudo gedit /etc/fstab
3.- Run sudo mount -a
4.- From a console run sudo chown [your user name] [the name of the folder you mounted the partition at] to give the user rights to fully read & write it. In my case, being my user joe I ran: sudo chown -R joe /home/joe/storage

After that you will have 70GB more at your disposal in your home directory :guitar:

EDIT: The -R option applies the option recursively to all directories.

Good luck.
Joe.

beanco
November 5th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I have been MS free since Xmas 2006.

The kids hate it! Ilove being a MS Free Zone.

But when there are Ubuntu problems that I cannot fix on my own, I admit, I get very frustrated.

Currently I cannot log on. After the pasword is given we get stuck at the orange screeen stage.

I can get to a teérminal with ctr alt F1 but that does nt help the kids.

I keep telling them it is better to have to learn sg, ie. how to rectify this Ubuntu error, than to have an OS runnign that looks good, sems to work but in reality one we have no control over. Hard for teenagers to agree with me... but I am trying.

robi

Don9307
November 5th, 2007, 12:46 PM
The only reason Windows is still hanging around my desktop is because I use Microsoft Money 2006 to manage my accounts. I haven't switched to GNU Cash. If it weren't for that, Windows would have been kicked to the curb some time ago.

Shimmy
November 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I've switched to Ubuntu for 2 years ago i think.
Never missed windows since.
Ubuntu at home, Ubuntu at work, and Ubuntu on my GF's computer.

thexero
November 5th, 2007, 05:23 PM
hi

the only windows machine i have is my server. its my domain controller, i am wanting to learn to know samba a bit better to get a more secure domain.

at the moment, my server is for when my friends come round with their laptops to get all their stuff and access the internet, i'd love to have it running linux and be able to do the same

cheers

hellmet
November 5th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I've got Voice/ Webcam requirements on Windows.

michaelzap
November 5th, 2007, 11:45 PM
I still have XP Pro on another drive (dual boot). But I haven't actually booted into it in weeks. The last time that I did was just to help walk a client through a Windows-specific issue that she was having, and my anti-virus was so out-of-date that it took forever to update.

My partner still uses XP, however, and I've basically off-loaded all Windows-only tasks to her. That includes creating Flash files and testing web designs in IE7 (I can also do this in Virtual Box, but it's faster on a native machine). She also uses Photoshop a lot (whereas I'm getting along with the Gimp), and she's an architect so she needs to use AutoCAD frequently.

So as a team we're not 100% WIndows-free, and we're probably not likely to become so. For the foreseeable future we're sure to need at least one Windows machine around to test websites and run some specific software. But Ubuntu is definitely our OS of choice, and we've installed it on several friends' computers in the last few months as well.

ellis rowell
November 6th, 2007, 12:27 PM
I have been MS free since Xmas 2006.

The kids hate it! Ilove being a MS Free Zone.

But when there are Ubuntu problems that I cannot fix on my own, I admit, I get very frustrated.

Currently I cannot log on. After the pasword is given we get stuck at the orange screeen stage.
robi

One thing you might check is that the numblock is on if you are using a laptop. This often catches me out when I occasionally use the Medion laptop (it starts up with numlock OFF). This happens because with numlock off some keys are used for other purposes (like the direction arrows).

ellis rowell
November 6th, 2007, 12:43 PM
For the foreseeable future we're sure to need at least one Windows machine around to test websites

This shouldn't be necessary, ALL websites should work on ALL systems otherwise you are doing something wrong.

Mithrilhall
November 6th, 2007, 01:40 PM
This shouldn't be necessary, ALL websites should work on ALL systems otherwise you are doing something wrong.

I usually code for Firefox and then check how it looks in IE. You can always count on Microshaft to screw up something (CSS).

He should probably just load Windows into VMWare and remove his Windows partition.

R_U_Q_R_U
November 6th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Have Gutsy running on two machines. Still have one machine running XP because it is required to use Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Indesign CS2 and Acrobat Professional 8.0,

possessedskier
November 6th, 2007, 02:16 PM
The only reason Windows is still hanging around my desktop is because I use Microsoft Money 2006 to manage my accounts. I haven't switched to GNU Cash. If it weren't for that, Windows would have been kicked to the curb some time ago.

That was my last holdout. I switched to Moneydance. It's not free, but it's cheap and in some ways better than MS Money. I couldn't get GNU Cash to import my banking data correctly.

I haven't booted my laptop into windows for months. On the rare occasion when there's no other solution, I run Win XP in Virtualbox .

svtfmook
November 6th, 2007, 02:20 PM
the last things i keep windows for is printing and battlefield.

Wraith's Hand
November 6th, 2007, 03:03 PM

IIRC, different web browsers interpret html slightly differently, so checking how a page looks in different browsers is important especially if the site is for buisness. Also, some websites seem to think that they only need to design for a computer running Internet Explorer in Windows, such as, many of the games at Yahoo! Games.

VorDesigns
November 6th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I would love to move over but as a consultant who has to make mortgage payments and eat:
Basics;
1. Printing; still not ready for prime time; I can´t get Linux to print to a Windows hosted printer consistently and or at all.
2. Java runtime still doesn´t work out of the box in Firefox so my java based pcAnywhere client only worked on one system by accident after I installed IE4Linux. I can´t support some of my clients if I can´t run this application. Forget about some of the more esoteric remote clients that pop up from time to time like ProxyHost and AT&T Remote.
3. RDP is very close but quite their and any feature offered (post installation of a patch) shouldn´t be available unless you install the patch and if it is offered, why wasn´t the patch installed?
4. VPN compatibility is not there; Cisco is improving dramatically but
5. Inter-MSO compatibility, close but still no cigar, hit and miss OOO compatibility and the inability to manipulate MS Access (yes, a lot of people do use this, badly) consistently or at all for larger databases require maintenance of at least 1 Win32 system.
6. Adobe alternatives still too steep a learning curve, not missing though.
7. Robust PIM missing. Thunderbird is close but managing add-ons is too complex and buggy. Evolution equivocates well to Outlook Express but that is the first thing I suggest people move away from to Thunderbird.

Advanced:
1. Cross developer database management tools; Aquafold´s Aqua Data Studio is very close but still not robust enough to eliminate the need for Win32 client OS to access tools necessary in an MS dominated industry.
2. End user reporting tools are not yet there. Jasper looks promising and when I have time to unravel its intricacies, I may be able to utilize it in certain corporate cases but, a robust, user friendly reporting tool to compete against BIś Crystal Reports has yet to surface.

I´m close. None of this seems insurmountable.

For converting others
1. Printing is too hard for neophytes.
2. File sharing is too hard for neophytes
3. Most industrial complex web sites (public services, major manufacturers, etc.,) do not work without IE like browser compatibility.

Mithrilhall
November 6th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Anyone running Photoshop via virtualization? I'm just curious how it performs before I even attempt it.

dryder
November 6th, 2007, 09:34 PM
VorDesigns

Evolution equivocates well to Outlook Express

I think you mean Outlook. Outlook Express is far inferior.

Why are you so averse (as indeed others appear to be) to running Windows for your consultancy needs if that is why you need it?

You can not only run Windows if your business is only consulting for Linux ...

Seems odd to me.

asukaforever
November 7th, 2007, 09:42 AM
i've been using linux since...2001 and tried a series of distros: Mandrake 6-2007, SUSE 7 - OpenSUSE 10, Fedora 4-6, Ubuntu 6-7.10. it the beginning, my laptop was dual-boot, between windows and linux. now, Ubuntu Linux is the only soul. love the features and customizations. although i do sometimes have problems and headache on the configuration, but daily usage is sweet as honeymoon.

FG123
November 7th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Anyone running Photoshop via virtualization? I'm just curious how it performs before I even attempt it.
/raises hand

I'm using VMware because it feels slightly faster than VirtualBox, but that's only an opinion; I've never checked to see if there's any real different in speed between the two. Anyway, I'm running Vista under it with Photoshop CS3, and it feels smooth enough for the most part. Sometimes the GUI lags a little bit bit the filters and everything work just about as fast as they would natively. In other words, no great difference. Very workable.

taffyman
November 7th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Hi switched to Ubunty some six months ago,but i still have x.p, so a duel boot system until i get everything up and running,my canon printer works after long last,its a m.p 180 all-in-one, the card reader works so i can transfere photos and store, i have skype, installed many software programs to iron out, not bad for a pensioner.:guitar:

sunexplodes
November 7th, 2007, 10:20 AM
I'm able to run Kubuntu quite effectively without need of Windows at the moment.

Most of my living comes from web design, and the majority of my clients are local businesses. So far, in the year+ I've been using Ubuntu, I've been able to make do with GIMP (although I'd prefer Photoshop) and I use kate to write my code. I find KOffice is sufficient for most of the office tasks I do, my printer, scanner and wacom tablet work perfectly.

I do plan on doing a dual-boot setup late next year after doing some significant hardware updates, mostly because there's a couple PC games on the horizon that I'd love to play. And it will be nice to have a Photoshop/Illustrator-capable OS, as Gimp is AWFUL for layers and typeface editing, and Inkscape just doesn't compare to Illustrator.

Humph
November 7th, 2007, 12:38 PM
A few weeks ago I finally ditched XP on my desktop machine and went to full Ubuntu 7.10. Printing is not a problem for me as my printer is old (Brother HL-1030) and hosted on a print server (Linksys PS1).

I do all my PHP/XHTML in Bluefish, and frankly do not care if it looks odd in IE. All my pages pass w3c validation so if someone complains (as has happened a few times) I point out that the site looks fine when viewed with a standards-compliant browser.

Sadly I need to keep one machine on XP to support clients, and to program in Visual Basic.

Namtabmai
November 7th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I didn't start using PCs until 1998, for the first year I used Windows 98 which came with the machine I brought, then for the following three years I switch between Win98/Win2000/WinXP. The year after that I dual booted XP and Redhat I think. But after that I went Linux only.

So for me it doesn't really feel like I've "switched", I've spent most of my computer life using nothing but Linux. Switching for me would involve going back to Windows, which makes Windows the alternative OS not Linux.

Over these years I've been constantly amazed at the development of Linux, really coming on leaps and bounds since I started using it. Strangely enough I'd actually like to try Vista and see what all the fuss is about, but;
1) I can't be bothered dual booting my home system, especially when I know the Vista install is bound to screw up my Linux partition.
2) £60 to just try an OS that I may not even like? Come on Microsoft if you really want me to switch you need to have some sort of Live/Trail CD.

mschraier
November 7th, 2007, 03:28 PM
About a week ago I decided to clean install XP and also had a fresh Gustsy CD. The install went fine except it wouldnt find my WiFi card. Thought, well.... its a good a time as any to try. So , I let Gutsy take the whole drive. In 30 minutes, up runing, WiFi ok and started to customize and install different apps. I am not a gamer or anything. Need a solid OS for email, web and small amounts of word processing and spreadsheets. I also used Temrianl Server and was able to connect to my office server as well. Great job guys!!!!!!

:):):):):):)

MSchenker
November 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM
My experiences are almost exactly like mschraier's. As soon as I went ahead and let Kubuntu take over, everything just worked better.

I've learned that the best thing to do is just let Windows go! As long as it's on your system, you will tend to defer to it, like training wheels. But as soon as it's gone, you trust Linux (in my case Kubuntu), and it's good.

Matt

VorDesigns
November 7th, 2007, 06:08 PM
VorDesigns

I think you mean Outlook. Outlook Express is far inferior.

Why are you so averse (as indeed others appear to be) to running Windows for your consultancy needs if that is why you need it?

You can not only run Windows if your business is only consulting for Linux ...

Seems odd to me.

No, I mean Outlook Express; Evolution is basic, no scheduling, no tasks, no tools.

I am not averse to running MSOS based environments except for Vista which I find flashy but abortional at best when it comes to usability unless you smart it back to the legacy views and menus and that only makes it a marginal OS from a performance and productivity standpoint. There are great features in Vista but the usability flaws outshine the real improvements.

My business is to provide computer related services to my clients with the hope of providing, recommending and supporting the best tool for the process at hand whatever OS that may be.

Ux64
November 7th, 2007, 06:21 PM
It has taken a while.

First I used to use pirated everything. But when my company got bigger I really felt that using pirated everything wasn't politically correct even I wouldn't get caught ever.

I started to use more and more open source software. Until at one point I got it. I did use open source everything except operating system. I have been using Windows a lot for over 10 years and dos and *nix before that.

I've been using Ubuntu only for two weeks now. And I haven't found any show stoppers yet. And I guess I won't. I bought my new computer without operating system and I did opt for option to buy Vista if I'm not happy with Ubuntu. And this far I haven't been missing Vista at all.

Because I have so long history, I'm not afraid of configuration files or command prompt. But I know that intermediate user is. And if user is real newbie, they usually don't want to do anything so special they would need command line or editing any configuration files.

That's just my story.

I did have dual boot on my old computer for about 6 months. So I tested all applications and found out which ones I need and that they match my needs.

I also felt that having this kind of community is so great that I'm not afraid that I would be left a lone in deep hmm, ahem, trouble. ;)

I still got a few freeware / open source windows applications which I run using Wine.

d_mccrummen
November 7th, 2007, 07:10 PM
At work, 99% Ubuntu. One program holds me back and its proprietary. At home, 100% Ubuntu.

mangroval
November 7th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Used Linux from RH 6.2, first at work for several server installations then along XP on own pcs. Different distros have stayed on my pcs for years. After buying, trying, disapproving and removing Vista early this year I ditched MS Os'es totally. Ubuntu has been my main choice.
I still run xp on Virtualbox for test reasons and flash-manipulation, but over the years Linux has matured and exceeded MS on so many ways I see no reason (for me) to hang on into garbage collectors :evil:

animeh
November 7th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I used to use windows... now I use Ubuntu and I am trying several kinds of linux so far ubuntu , kubuntu, and now Linux Mint....need I say more.

oh also setting up my Linux server and configuring it on my own.

SomeGuyDude
November 7th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I've put up my story before, but just to add to the fray...

I've been a Windows user since 3.1. Never had any inclination to deviate. I didn't dislike Apple (at least once OSX hit, prior to that I despised MacOS), I just thought Windows was fine and didn't want to change.

It wasn't until around 2002 that I heard of Linux and was immensely curious. My first attempt was with a Red Hat CD I got in a book, and it was a disaster. About two years later I burned a few discs with any distros I could find. Fedora Core, Mandrake, etc. I couldn't get any to work and felt overwhelmed all the while.

All this did was **** me off, like Linux was this mountain I had to climb, a challenge I refused to let "beat" me. Every time I tried to use it, I ended up screwing up my hard drive and having to reformat, but that just fueled the fire.

Once I heard of Ubuntu, I knew it was a good chance to try again. Kubuntu was okay, but the LiveCD of Ubuntu recognized almost everything, so that meant it was the one to install. This was about a month ago. It sat on its little 10G partition for a while. Every so often I'd pop on, browse for a few minutes and fiddle with Pidgin, but then get back onto Vista.

One day I said hell with it. I'm gonna load Ubuntu up and stay on it for a solid day. I'm gonna get the feel for it. I noticed that it recognized my Windows partition (thanks to having Windows still installed, I later learned), so I could access all my files. Which meant I could stay in the Ubuntu partition all day and not actually lose access to anything.

A few days pass, and I haven't booted Vista. I install Compiz/Emerald/AWN and make it look all cool and pretty. I decide it's time to enlarge the Linux partition to give myself more wiggle room. I somehow then completely botch it, and get the Grub 17 error.

So then... I start again and only put on Ubuntu. That was Saturday. As of Wednesday, I haven't even the slightest regret, and have no reason to think I'll need to put Windows back.

bwallum
November 7th, 2007, 11:16 PM
You made me smile and chuckle, thank you. I still use dozz but have to say that the reasons for using it are purely historical. An old Access db, a dozz version of niche software, all of which are really naff. All my new work is in Ubuntu. Sure, some erratic behaviour (who vets the downloads?) but I have never lost any work. It is a fresh of breath air!

The smiles still there so thanks again
Bob

Zipster90
November 8th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I found openoffice better , now MS Office look really awfull with the new "fancy" layout.

I use OpenOffice for a lot of stuff, but I participate in a academic competition that requires MS Office. No exceptions. Oh, how I wish it was different!

I also kept Windows for Movie Maker.

sunfire
November 8th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I have use linux (Debian,Fedora etc) and windows together for many years, since 2003. But after kubuntu 7.04 I have only used it. I still got WindowsXp on one of my hard-drivers, but haven't boot there for many months. I don't even have it on grub list anymore, im totally love with my Kubuntu atm :)

theorganloft
November 9th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I am posting again because it has been 4 weeks since I completely dumped Windoze for Ubuntu Studio Gutsy 7.10. My machine runs like the Energizer Bunny. It never stops. I don't miss M$.

I have been composing music, creating podcasts, receiving//sending emails via Thunderbird, backing up to DVD, and performing other functions that I did in Windows. No issues so far.

I did get a scare about playing video in the Firefox browser but just setting my preferences fixed that.

I also noticed that you have to be careful about changing the video resolution through the GUI system preferences tools. I had to completely reboot after the GUI glitched during the application reset. The reboot brought it back to normal.

Overall, I am happy.

khurrum1990
November 9th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Hi, on my machine I am using Ubuntu 7.10 and Windows Xp MCE 2005 on virtualbox because I still need Office for some school stuff.

MSchenker
November 9th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I use OpenOffice for a lot of stuff, but I participate in a academic competition that requires MS Office. No exceptions. Oh, how I wish it was different!

I'm just curious: What academic competition would require MS Office? It seems to me that such competitions would encourage the use of open-source applications.
Matt

froy02
November 9th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Only 85% because I haven't move all my stuff to ubuntu and the missus is still in XP.

odindio
November 9th, 2007, 10:20 PM
It's impossible for me because ubuntu is dumped on me, after I log in the keyboard locks up

meho_r
November 9th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Almost completely Linux. This ''almost'' are only games. For everything other -- Ubuntu. And don't miss Win at all, not a sec. :D

fiddlerdiehl
November 10th, 2007, 01:14 AM
About a month ago I had a little bit of money, but not enough to seriously consider a Mac worth having. I'd heard horror stories from friends about Vista, and rumors from the local computer store that M$ wants to phase XP out fairly soon. I resented that, having had reasonably good experiences with XP. I pulled parts from dead computers and bought a new mobo and proc, and installed linux. I'd heard that it was becoming increasingly popular and figured I should learn it sometime. Since I didn't need a computer, as I had access at school, I had slack for the learning curve.

This tower has never had anything other than Ubuntu on it, and I am quite impressed. It can't do everything Windows can, but it can do enough that Windows can't to more than balance out. It's compatible enough for my purposes, I have no complaints.

I'm not planning on switching back anytime soon.

scottatk
November 10th, 2007, 08:41 PM
All I can say is "windows for dummies" ....people will pay for anything they don't understand instead of taking the time to learn it. Computers are suppose to make us smarter or is it convenience we are paying for?

Vesper007
November 11th, 2007, 02:04 AM
About a month ago i began reading Tech Forums and saw many posts about system called Linux. The Distros were a little confusing; but after more reading i determined that the best way to get to know how my computer 'really' works was to install a Linux system.

In my haste to install Ubuntu I partitioned my 40GB HDD to hold the distro. Lost ALL my files that i don't have copies of. And so, this is the beginning of some other beginnings end. Lesson learned.

I Read about Ubuntu and how friendly it is with GUI and and how managing the system can be done with a command line (didn't know what that was at the time...)

So here i am with an incredible OS that seems to be able to do everything. Yet, because i know nothing about everything Linux, i am eager to figure it out.

This is my third day with my Ubuntu 7.10 and i like what i see.

khentiamentiu
November 11th, 2007, 08:30 AM
I use XP to do my taxes, that's about it. Otherwise I use Ubuntu, DesktopBSD, Suse, and RHEL/CentOS. Unfortunately, far too many people I know still use XP, and, no surprise, are continually in need of my help! ;)

RTSnLV
November 11th, 2007, 12:08 PM
2 of my boxes run linux exclusive, my main work laptop also does but because of work I need 1 XP desktop and 1 win2k laptop

hogwartsnigel
November 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I am extremely new to linux, (3 weeks) but I have already single booted 3 of the 6 machines I am responsible for. I'll maintain one windows for the cs3 suite and a little program called 3dfa that I found invaluable. Otherwise I'd ditch all my current licenses for linux. Its a moral thing.
Now back to my hunt for a 3dfa clone or better...wrote to the company.

Nigel

P.s I've converted 8 people to date to try Linux

Biskit64
November 11th, 2007, 04:49 PM
I made the switch to Ubuntu it takes less time to get it set up to suit me than xp does, runs WoW burns cd and dvds checks my emails.

Really don't windows anymore.
I

handzmonkey
November 11th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I switched for at least 6 months but then had to go back to a dual boot scheme. It becomes harder and harder to use only Linux. It is my first choice but I am at the point where the OS is a means to an end. Constantly tweaking Wine and banging my head up against a wall just isn't productive for me. Yes you can run things in Wine but more than likely not all of it will run correctly. Such as iTunes. Yes it will run, but you can't or at least I can't burn cds within itunes. Wine is a great utility especially if you have time to write scripts/code for it. And usually most games you run in it will have to be cracked. Besides If you want to play games and get the most out of your hardware a dual boot really is the only answer.

ja4509
November 11th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I have completely switched to Ubuntu. I do however use VirtualBox to run WinXP in for somethings.

But the amount of WinXP I use is only for Video ripping because K3b is so polite about decoding. I however firmly believe that I bought the video and have the right to copy it for my own personal use despite what the lawyers say.

Otherwise the only thing I can't support hardware-wise on my laptop is the winmodem which is not supported very well. I would like to find the idiot/moron that thought a winmodem was a good idea.

I have been a Linux user since the very first versions of Slackware in the days of the monolithic Kernel.

Ubuntu is the very best distro ever with others just a step behind. I used to dual boot until Vista that chased me off Windows forever.

beanco
November 11th, 2007, 06:00 PM
All I can say is "windows for dummies" ....people will pay for anything they don't understand instead of taking the time to learn it. Computers are suppose to make us smarter or is it convenience we are paying for?

my kids keep arguing with me that linux sucks and we should get windows again.

they never really used the computer until this year. aron, now a freshman in highshcool needs one for some school work. He is the biggest hater of linux.

He thinks it is stupid that he shoul dhave to learn things. that windows is better because you fire it up and use it. not problems.... he gets that from his classmates that have MS machines...

And everytim this topic comes up with cow2orkers, students of mine etc it is the same... Computers are supposed to make life easier so why learn sg when you can start up MS and everythign is fine.

Even the sys op where I teach says the same... ie. users of the network, ie. my fellow teachers, will go crazy if any flavor of linux is up and no Ms... Heck if any kind of office suite is running then they can just use it like they would MS word and, for the average user, it will work the same.... but they do not want to have to *learn* sg new.

I actually like the fact that I need to learn more about this linux stuff, that when I have problems I can solve them with the help of this forum and a few friends... that I have the power to change whatever I want... great feeling.

robi

cjking
November 13th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Completely switched....desktop, laptop, server. Vista was the last straw for me. Two scanners, 4 webcams, two video capture devices will not work in Vista, oh forget the graphics tablet. Don't want to buy all new equipment again (Win2000 switch from Win98), still have a closet full of that stuff.

Only two Windows apps I use thru Wine -- Dreamweaver and Photoshop, all other are Linux programs. Just tired of the Microsoft suffle.

smacattack
November 13th, 2007, 06:45 AM
well essentially im switched in that i haven't used my XP drive in months... but it is still available in a dual-boot.

now that I think of it I think I'm ready to make the final jump and format that drive (my ubuntu is on my other hard drive)

quick question though... if I partition that drive it can't mess anything up right? I intend to just make it an ext3 and use it for storage.

thanks!

ericesque
November 13th, 2007, 07:26 AM
This is week 2... again. Last time I made 'the switch' I went back to XP when I got sick of my wifi not working and I had more time for gaming. Now the wireless issue seems to be resolved and with a baby due in Feb, I am fairly certain I won't be gaming in '08.

So with any luck, Ubuntu is here to stay. The wife actually likes it. She's used to Firefox, Open Office and Pidgin. With the exception of MS Money, that's all she really does with a computer. I think what sold her was AWN :)

aquamammal
November 13th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Up until last weekend, I was dual booting with XP and Ubuntu.

When I woke up in the morning that day, I was like, "screw it, it's sink or swim time..."

Got my room mate to help me with some stuff, and now my Machine runs Ubuntu. It's a benevolent machine now.

With the games issue, I don't really play games that much, but if I did, I would feel it with compatibility.

NerdyNeddylation
November 17th, 2007, 03:45 AM
If I didn't need IE for MyMathLab, I would Totally Make it Final and Remove My X P Partition. As Hard as it is for me to my Microphone and Wireless Card working, and figure out how to actually install those little apps like Thunderbird and Audacity, It's still better than Windows.

thelatinist
November 17th, 2007, 05:46 AM
I've been using Gutsy since its release Oct. 18 with increasing exclusivity. My previous trial using Edgy had been disappointing, but my students had said good things about Feisty so I decided to give Ubuntu a second look with its new release. I am amazed by the progress; Ubuntu really is ready for prime time. My computer is faster, more secure, and more stable. I can do nearly everything I could under Windows and many things I couldn't.

It took some time to set up the extra buttons on my mouse (this is one area that really needs to be worked on) and I have come to the conclusion that my HP Scanjet 4700c will likely never work under Ubuntu (couldn't something be done to add TWAIN support to Linux?); otherwise Ubuntu handled my hardware better than XP did. It even recognized the 12 year old network card that required additional drivers under 2000 and XP.

I will probably keep XP on my computer for a while, mostly so I can do phone support for my mother's PC. But I can't foresee myself ever going back to Windows on a regular basis.

Asobi
November 18th, 2007, 12:43 AM
im a gamer ..need to say more !?

also under linux/ubuntu things like adobe/solidworks just dont work smooth or not at all. i need those programs, period.

i wont be leaving windows anytime soon, not really trying to either. ill go with what works and ubuntu is fun now so it works for me :mrgreen:

ExpatPaul
November 18th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I installed Ubuntu two weeks ago and in that time I have only needed to boot into Windows once - and that was only to look up some settings. If things continue to go as smoothly as they have so far, I'll be deleting the Windows partition in the very near future.

With the exception of MS Money, that's all she really does with a computer.

I was using MS Money, but Grisbi has proved to be a perfectly good replacement so far.

Ashrael
November 18th, 2007, 01:35 AM
my last post: http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3384318&postcount=1956

But now i have no more M$ crap on my system whatsoever!!!
My scanner works in gutsy, which is strange because it never worked before and was already very old, but it works anyhow...
After my upgrade to gutsy my webcam did not work anymore, solved that today! : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3788031#post3788031

now everything works! anticipating this glorious day, i have already dumped M$XP a couple of weeks ago! The next step will be to run only completely free software and drivers.... we will get there!

:lolflag:

nikoPSK
November 18th, 2007, 02:02 AM
only thing thats botherin me is that I can't read my zinio publications under wine.

Thrasyllus
November 18th, 2007, 02:29 AM
I still have a DOS partition because of some beloved old programs including PC-Write, the state-of-the-art ASCII word processor of the 1980s. It has terrific macro capabilities - or maybe I'm just too lazy to learn a modern system. BTW I run under DR-DOS because I try to keep my box free of Microsoft pollution, though I admit I probably have an old Basic run-time .exe in one of the DOS directories.

nikoPSK, I envy you having read all the writers of all time!

qsr.nrwn
November 18th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I had a rare opportunity to run almost all M$-DOS flavors, from version 3 until 6.22, then switched to Win3.x, later Win95, Win98, Win98SE, WinME, WinXP, and WinVista.
I started playing with Linux circa March 2005, when i downloaded Beatrix (a now defunct distro, Ubuntu-based), and later when I bought a book by Steve Sha that included RedHat 6, although I knew this great OS existed long before, was when I started to take it seriously. I requested my free CDs after knowing that Ubuntu was powering Beatrix, installed, and for over a 1 and a half year period of dual booting and migration, I'm completely free of Microsoft. (I used Vista for a 2 month period this year on my laptop, and then deleted it).
End of story I have been using Ubuntu/Linux for two years... I'm happy with that... I cannot imagine living without Linux on my computer, even if I consider me a newbie in this OS

artvds2708
November 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I did .... 4 years ago !!

sirdilznik
November 19th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I dual-booted for a while and dumped Windows completely 2 to 2 1/2 years ago. No looking back since.\\:D/

hellion0
November 19th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I haven't quite been able to fully dump Windows yet. It's gone from my desktop now, and only resides on half of my laptop's hard drive. (dual-boot setup)

As soon as I can make sound work on the laptop (grrrrrrrrr), then I can ditch it entirely.

However, even with all the systems running Linux around me, you'll have to pry OSX from my cold, dead hands.

VorDesigns
November 19th, 2007, 06:37 PM
If I didn't need IE for MyMathLab, I would Totally Make it Final and Remove My X P Partition. As Hard as it is for me to my Microphone and Wireless Card working, and figure out how to actually install those little apps like Thunderbird and Audacity, It's still better than Windows.

Check IE4Linux.

scrawford
November 19th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Glad to report that I'm almost entirely Ubuntu - Gutsy.

My one hold out for XP is a Canadian Tax prepartion program.

Any Canuks out there know of one for Ubuntu?

amheuwr
November 19th, 2007, 08:40 PM
My PC has been totally Ubuntu for 18 months. Had my ups and downs, but it is fun learning how the system runs, instead of just loading everything M$ style.
Have found, as a home user, that Ubuntu does everything I need. Only slight problems have been with BBC Realplayer, which is a shame as I listen to the BBC a lot. I know they have been a bit anti Linux but they still have great content. Also there are still graphics card issues. Unable to run 3D due to the restircted drivers not working properly on my GeForce FX 5600XT. Not particularly bothered as I'm not into the the bells and whistles business, but it should work if I needed it.

coolguy2006delhi
November 19th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I had a rare opportunity to run almost all M$-DOS flavors, from version 3 until 6.22, then switched to Win3.x, later Win95, Win98, Win98SE, WinME, WinXP, and WinVista.

Same here dude , I have been using computer since I was in KG . I still remember I used to do sentence making in dos . But now I have switched to Ubuntu . Since I am also a hardcore Visual Basic Programmer , therefore I am unable to make complete transitions. In India , there is not much restriction on M$ products. Therefore I am happy to keep both these OS

sgtbug
November 19th, 2007, 09:29 PM
lol.. so true.. M$ products are almost free in India..

but still, i have completely swiched.. my basic work was graphic designing and photomanip (both hobbies).. gaming i hav stopped, so now i hav just 1 os in my machine - ubuntu..

instead of illustrator, i'm using inkscape and instead of photoshop, gimp..

i used to play dota a lot.. but since gg-client does not run on linux.. i quit.. now i just play old dos games or my all time fav - Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, on dosbox+kgen98..

ubuntu rocks man..!! the only reason i switched was that i was sick and tired and frustrated with windows' bull-crap.. ubuntu was like a breeze in an otherwise stagnant land..

dumbsnake
November 20th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I totally switched when 6.06 came out. I hadn't used linux in a while, but I just said enough is enough. Linux is the way of the future and learned as I went. I didn't regret anything about it. There was a learning curve, but really it is an easier curve than windows and once you learn it, you can do tons.

netreg
November 20th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Im using XP less and less for gaming now since i got ps3. But i have not fully switched to linux yet as i still use dreamweaver and fireworks...

But doing everyday stuff such as surfing, email and instant messaging, linux is the winner.. no more looking at the screen wondering if something will happen or not... :D

Udibuntu
November 20th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Hi, my name is Udibuntu and I'm sober for 80 days now...

Worked in the past with Fedora Core 4 on my work X31, and remember it as a lukewarm experience.

Worked for 10 years on M$ products at work and home - at work I had to sell them and at home had to share the PC with other, less savvy, inhabitants..

A couple of months ago I moved to Ubuntu Feisty 64bit on a dual boot machine (R60e); I thought the XP option would come in handy from time to time.

Never switched to Wind-hoes in almost 3 months with no apparent need in sight...even my wife is working on Ubuntu..and she's a M$ fan, don't ask :)

Yesterday I switched my work T42 to Gutsy, had some problems, fixed them all, and don't plan to return to XP, God willing.

I push Ubuntu in every hole I visit, whether work, family or friends, with some success.

So, kudos to the Ubuntu team, and good day to ya all,

udi

Giano89
November 20th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I tried to completely switch to Linux but I'm having still too many troubles. At first I had to try installing 3 or 4 distros just to have one (Ubuntu) working. Then I'm having a lot of problems with compatibility with MSOffice stuff.
I think that Linux needs to be much better than now in order to become more popular than Win. It has to be able to handle both Linux and Win formats: this is one of the first things that a Win-to-Linux user wants. And even if many bugs have been fixed, there are some problems with very important features: e.g. I can't scan any image (even if my scanner is supported) and if I want to install something it's very difficult or impossible at all.
The greatest bug of Linux in my opinion is being too difficult for medium-users and people who want to turn to it from Win. It's a "programmer" OS. But there are some people who are not programmers.

gilbyuk
November 20th, 2007, 09:35 PM
i have been using ubuntu for about 3 days.i no longer use windows on my laptop its gone. i finding it ok i had trouble with installing flash player but managed to fluke it in the end. i wish i found linux sooner

Photon
November 22nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
I have not completely switched over yet, because of one reason mainly - photoshop. Sure there are alternatives, but i like to mess around with the native screen. Also, one grave point that i miss is incoming file transfers are not supported in pidgin :( For me that is crucial as i use that feature quite a lot.

harshask
November 22nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
I started with LINUX abt 2 months back....I got to windows now only to play GAMES :)

furlian
November 22nd, 2007, 12:09 PM
Can't remember when i switched. Think it was hmm, year ago? Haven't used Windows since unless there's no other alternative (friends pc). Who needs games anyway? Get photoshop ported and im settled for life.

Circus-Killer
November 22nd, 2007, 12:19 PM
i been using different distros since 98, but only completely switched about a year ago. at that point i vowed to remain windows-free (at home, at work i have no choice).

but today, ironically, i am switching both my laptop and desktop to windows. the problem is that i just got a new 3G contract and usb modem. whilst i know that i can get it going in ubuntu, i also know that i need an internet connection to do so, which is kinda stupid considering that the 3G is whats going to be my internet connection.

i could go through the effort of taking all my machines to my folks place, use their adsl line to do the installation of the required software, but hell thats too much of a mission. i still have never understood why the software required for internet connections does not come on the install cd, just to make people's life easier. i know space is limited on installation disks, but whats the point of being able to get the software you need to connect to the internet from the internet. obviously if you need to set up an internet connection, then you dont have one to do all those things.

anyways, thats why im going back to windows for now. who knows, maybe once linux gets around this one major issue that ive always had, ill come back. i just cant stand the logic behind having to download stuff you need for an internet connection. i know why its done this way and i know people have moaned about this before, so i guess im merely re-iterating it. so yah, thats my reason for going back to the dark side. :(

legnoduro
November 22nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
I have been a Linux user since 1995. I have been MS free since 2000. I have just recently started using Ubuntu as well as Kubuntu on one of my other machines. Of all the distros I have used, the Ubuntu flavors are by far the most user intuitive, a pleasure for all user levels.
I continue to use other distros (eg, Fedora) to keep my Linux/Unix skills sharp. The others will often times require more command line manipulation and hacking in order to get devices, programs, etc. to work. Ubuntu has a great community and I am happy to be a part of it.

de_valentin
November 22nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
At work unfortunately 100% XP, on the other hand it makes me feel glad, knowing I can go home and enjoy a pc without hangups, restarts, the long wait etc.

At home I still have a dual boot but that is only to be able to play games, which I do less and less. But there are weeks where I am 99% Xp at home, you know new game you get into it you want to finish it LOL

Lor Boo
November 22nd, 2007, 03:12 PM
Running only Ubuntu since just before the summer.

I've been really busy with basic non-OS centric items such as web-pages and studying (web/email/text books and so on).
I've come a long way as an ex-windows power user.

My Gripe
I find there are many walk throughs which leave off that last mile.
That thought that says - maybe my audience is green and will need to be walked ALL the way through including the small stuff.

Classic example:

I just installed Glest 2.0.0-1 for some fun via this page:
http://linuxgames07.blogspot.com/2007/11/top-ubuntu-linux-games.html

And now that it's installed... I don't know how to run it. I mean. Honestly, what do I do? What is suppose to happen?
There is no icon in the GUI.
I ran killall gnome-panels. I tried Glest in terminal. I searched for it using - Places - Search for Files. And here - It finds the downloaded files on the desktop... but if I tell it to search the 'FileSystem' It finds NOTHING. That includes the files on the desktop which I found earlier when I searched my home folder. So what the hell is the 'Search FileSystem' Searching? Root folder only?

So here I am in the forums to find the missing page of the howto.
I understand RTFM. I've got a few certs. I've done a few years of tech support. I know pibcac (problem exists between computer and chair).... but yet... when that last mile is missing....
Man does it make me feel like I'm stupid.

"To run this program be sure to be running blablba 2.0215.2 or higher....
Well that's all fine and dandy but would it KILL someone to put in what command one would use to figure that out?
I don't mind looking stuff up... I just find I'm normally looking stuff up and then 4-6 weeks later I need it again...it's closer to mind, but still has been forgotten.
It's the missing mile.

Beyond this I still recommend Linux and Ubuntu's twist on it highly.
My motivation for moving to Linux first off is I felt it would be good know a bit about first hand as I work in IT. Then later was frustration with Microsoft's DRM and 'Genuine bla bla bla'. Media player phones home like a disgruntled 4 year old girl (guess that fits with Steve ballmer's 5 year old little boy chair throwing bit...).
In short I find Microsoft becoming less and less trustworthy towards me.

I feel that once I do learn Linux, I will be much happier in the long run. Linux is the natural evolution. I cannot see long term international companies / government infrastructure using a proprietary US companies solution. How could you trust it? So if I'm in IT...then I had better learn it.
Now if only the walkthroughs could - wet nurse me- until I can fend for myself...
Then I won't make such long posts! :)

tyggna1
November 22nd, 2007, 03:27 PM
I have three computers--only one has windows on it--but we'll see how long that lasts.

Now that I have Gutsy on all of them, I can hook my TV up to it and watch movies off my network share. I couldn't do this in Feisty--but it was the last item on my "To get Ubuntu to do" list (minus a few games, which weren't a priority in the first place).

Now, I have a very comfortable IT setup at home--PS2 for games, and Ubuntu for everything else.

sstusick
November 22nd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Also, one grave point that i miss is incoming file transfers are not supported in pidgin :( For me that is crucial as i use that feature quite a lot.That bothers me also. It seems that the Pidgin file transfers work when they want to, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. But this is not a Linux thing, it's a Pidgin thing, I had same problems on Windows with GAIM/Pidgin. Hopefully they'll get that straightened out.

stijngysemans
November 22nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
i've just installed ubuntu on the new laptop of my brother... removed Vista... everything works out of the box :guitar:

leras
November 24th, 2007, 10:21 AM
i have ubuntu 3 months in my laptop

baracuda68
November 24th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Switched completely over when Feisty came out.
I tried to install dual boot, but it broke my Win MBR, so I only boot into Kubuntu.
No turning back.
Don't want to.
Consoles are for gaming, should I feel the need.
Will wipe out the windows drive eventually.

:biggrin:

nat6138
November 24th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Well, for me Windows decided to suck. And not work properly.

So I switched, and everything seems to be running a lot better. I installed it, and everything worked right off hand.

Dakaru
November 24th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I have been using only Linux on my box for a while now.

Wouldn't even think about using anything else. I know everyday when I wake up my computer is going to run for me. And if something does break it usually is easy to fix.

nesca2in1
November 24th, 2007, 10:56 PM
i have ubuntu t.10 and win2k , win2k becouse i must write homework in MASM and easyABEL , and other .... :/

kevindubrow
November 25th, 2007, 06:40 AM
I just did today and Ubuntu has never ran better! I think Ubuntu knows!

backupdevice
November 25th, 2007, 10:31 AM
i was a fanatic gamer. But my machine was getting outdated. So i looked around to see how much pesos it was going to cost to have a windows gaming machine. It made me not happy. Around 1600 Euros.

So i bought a Xbox 360 for gaming, deleted windows and i'm very happy.

Purplecatty
November 25th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I switched over to Ubuntu since last summer cuz Windoz XP (cracked version, never owned) crashed on my AMD64 system (Abit AV8 w/ AMD 64 3500 "Venice Core" w/ ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb). I gave up fixing Windozes cuz it's buggy and problemic even Windoz's Update screwed it up too!!. MY Acer Aspire laptop have Windoz XP Home and it's been crashing apps when I want to use it, I re-installed Windoz 3rd times and it's kill'n me!!. I hate Windoz to my gut!! It seem M$ love to ruin everyone day. Firewall and Antivirus are a must for Windoz while Ubuntu is more stable and solid and safe.. It did crash apps but when I ran again. It works fine. That's what I wanted. My kids love Ubuntu cuz Firefox browser loads very fast and responsive while Windoz goes pokie on IE and Firefox!! My Acer Aspire laptop w/ M$ XP Home run lukewarm on lappy's Turion 64 1.8ghz processor and 512mb DDR!!

I used to have Packard Bell F-170 166mhz Pentuim (overclocked to 200mhz) with Windoz 95 back in 1996 and few years later, I upgraded it to Win ME (buggiest windoz I ever had) and Upgraded from 16mb ram to 64mb and had Voodoo 3000 16mb graphic card. It ran as fast as it were 3.6Ghz Intel Pentuim system. I did little tweaking on WinME by uninstalling it's integrated IE browser and reinstall IE and reflashed PB's BIOS to Mr BIOS for PB system. Now, Today system with Windoz XP and Vista, It bogs down even the fastest processors and gobbling up lot of RAM space. It's been demanding more power and it's not "green" anymore! What's wrong with M$ Windoz today!! So Linux rules!!

I have been messing around many Linux flavors since 2001 starting with Mandrake 9.0 and Fedora Core 9.0. I heard about Ubuntu 6.10 last spring so I downloaded it and tried out as Live CD (I can't list many name of distro but had many CDroms piling up LOL). Currently, I have two hard drive that each Linux OS installed on AMD 64 system is Ubuntu Gusty Gibbon 7.10 and OpenSuSE 10.3. I did have Linux Mint Dynria (spelling) which is the most recent and it's base on Ubuntu GG 7.10. I did encounter some bugs on Linux Mint, Couldnt get VirtualBox working while Ubuntu's GG did work like a charm.

I find Ubuntu easier to use and I'm still newbie but getting better on using Console. Some regrets I had that I wish I had written notes on commands that I like to use but forgotten it. But I might come across through google searches.

I did install and use Beryl, Compiz, Compiz-Fusion. I like Beryl better than Compiz. I noticed Beryl runs faster and smoother than Compiz cuz my system have old 128mb ATI Radeon 9000 pro. I DO have problem with Beryl sometime when I fiddle around too much and it began to be slow. I had Nvidia Ti-200 64mb card that I briefly use it and it was better than ATI I use. Linux's 3D desktop sure put Windoz Vista into shame!! My friends did drooled over Beryl Desktop LOL.

I currently have Acer Aspire 5040wlmi laptop. I did ran Ubuntu's Live CD and it works fine except for Wifi issue ( I have Athero AR5005g mini pci) I found ACPI download for my lappy but I can't do anything till my wife get her own laptop (Dell is she wanted) so I can kiss XP goodbye and install Ubuntu and install FGLRX driver for ATI Express 200m (was an issue to many laptop users).

I am looking foward for newer version Ubuntu and many other Linux distros. I admit that they are getting better and almost ready to butt head to head with M$!! I hope Linux community will continue to work for improvements that make things easier for noob users. I hope one day Adobe will change their mind to build Macromedia Shockwave for Linux users!!! My kids need those to play online games!!

I truly wanted to learn how to build Linux programs but don't have anyone to get me going. So I just play along till I learn somthing.

Catty

smd0665
November 25th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Well, I can't say I've completely switched. I have two computers that are networked (my son and I play network games when he's here) - one is running Kubuntu and the other is running XP. My (Lexmark) scanner is hooked up to the computer running XP and my uncle and I are playing an email game that only runs on Windoze. Also, I still occasionally play The Sims 2 on the other computer. Other than that, I use Kubuntu for everything else: networking, video editing, home banking, genealogy, etc. Some Linux games (particularly LinCity) are awesome. I'll have to find other alternatives.

JayFunGee
November 25th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I dual boot loaded Ubuntu in Jan 2006. By July 2006 I chucked out XP all together. I got sick of going back and forth, decided to take the leap. Have to admit though, I still occasionally use the family computer for 1 program about twice a month.

dominicedmonds
November 26th, 2007, 01:50 PM
My business accounts are in Intuit Quicken 2000; I have almost transferred and reconciled everything into GnuCash. The transfer from Q to G has required a lot of manual intervention. I run XP as guest successfully in VirtualBox.

I have no job
November 27th, 2007, 05:22 AM
i play games, and use only linux, true combat elite, frozen throne, and wow right now :)

akiratheoni
November 27th, 2007, 05:24 AM
I use Linux nearly 99% of the time at home -- I keep a Vista partition just in case I need something though, but I hardly ever boot into it. I think I've booted into it maybe once in the past several months to seriously use it.

bfc
November 27th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Been 100% Linux since 1996. Very cool to see it's progression over the years.

Bwelsh85
November 27th, 2007, 07:29 AM
I've just removed my windows partition as of yesterday :d.

I bought my new laptop a few months ago and although i've seen nothing but bad news about vista i decided i'll give it a fair chance...but it just can't cut it.

I'd consider dual booting xp but their are driver issues and quite frankly Ubuntu runs my laptop better :D.

antisocialist
November 27th, 2007, 08:23 AM
when i first started using linux i had about 4 xp serials lying around and 1 month of free time, and as im a quick learner i took a plunge and completely deleted windows off of all my computers within 1 week of my first install. after that i just ask anything i need on these forums and get wonderful support. after that 1 month of pure ubuntu i learned more than i think most users do in their first 5-6 months, solely because i had the time to learn. once i had done it though, the only problem i have (and havent bothered fixing) is that my sound card on my secondary will work for about 3 hours and then stop working other than for some midi files on a java game i play

also, does running a virtual windows through rdesktop (no box with windows, it looks just like part of ubuntu minus the windows taskbar at the bottom) count as not using windows?

LRT
November 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM
i'm the it manager for a small company, recent college graduate. the company was running a windows sbs 2003 server. i hated it. it was about 90% wizards based. i had no idea what i was doing half the time, just clicking some check boxes and the 'Next' -> 'Finish' buttons. i felt like i had no control over what i was doing. my ISP provider actually convinced me to move to linux. i started messing around with Ubuntu and now i have it installed on my personal laptop and use Ubuntu for EVERYTHING. I'm know in the process of moving my entire LAN at work into an Samba PDC (Primary Domain Controller) using an Ubuntu server.

Not only have i switched to linux for personal use, i also have switched to it for the benefit of my company.

TNakos
November 27th, 2007, 08:04 PM
i switched all the way. I use wine mostly, but one drw back is i cant get SP2 to work in wine and i have the program Zune...(it needs SP2) thats the only draw back

ThinkPad2373
November 27th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Im in the process of completely switching. But once I get the hand of it better

nikoPSK
November 27th, 2007, 09:31 PM
i switched all the way. I use wine mostly, but one drw back is i cant get SP2 to work in wine and i have the program Zune...(it needs SP2) thats the only draw back

I never even tried dual booting. ubuntu is my one and only.

Zinc
November 27th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I switched all the way a while ago though now I'm thinking about double booting and just using windows to run software that wine won't. I wish there was something better than wine because the thought of running windows again gives me creeps. :-?

peter_ryan
November 27th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I was doing some web development earlier in the year and needed various IE installs for cross browser testing. I used vmware for that. Otherwise I use ubuntu for everything. I am no longer doing development and I get a chuckle whenever officemates see me loading up openoffice during a presentation or loading a spreadsheet.

I don't play games. I have no dual boot and never use windows (unless I am doing cross browser testing within a VM). That said if you want to avoid a dual boot and are just trying to run a few apps windows contained by vmware is a great choice (and it boots why faster in a vm than on hardware).

I switched all the way a while ago though now I'm thinking about double booting and just using windows to run software that wine won't. I wish there was something better than wine because the thought of running windows again gives me creeps. :-?

nikoPSK
November 28th, 2007, 03:39 AM
One thing that might make me switch back is lack of being able to put tunes on my ipod for some reson. And being able to reset it to factory setting...:(

(it's second hand)

dirkoid
November 28th, 2007, 05:07 AM
I've been a Linux only user for years now. I do use VMware and/or virtualbox when I have to run a windows only application, iPod comes immediately to mind, but I haven't dual-booted in a few years now. I'm also stuck with a Dell laptop for work which is Winderz only and I have installed (illegally) Itunes on it.

But so far I haven't had any issues using Amarok to keep my iPod updated with my latest stuff. If would be nice if the alternate firmware images like Rockbox actually worked from install.

I used to be a SuSE user until the Novell/Satan deal, then I switched everything to Ubuntu. My wife's laptop has been Ubuntu only for quite a while, and as a non-literate user she's had very few problems. The only thing she really misses is Flash compatability when friends send her viral videos. Other than that she's a penguin through and through.

So in my (humble) opinion, yes, Ubuntu is ready for prime-time.

Scold
November 28th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Happily using Kubuntu alone (switched recently after using Ubuntu for a month or two) on my two year old, slow as hell laptop... In gnome I used beryl, but in KDE I'm satisfied without it.

Only thing is that I'm having some trouble with wireless, VPN and such in KDE, but I'll probably figure it out!

Ashrael
November 28th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I already said earlier that I had switched completely, but that doesn't save me from M$ trouble i'm afraid.
Spent the whole of today trying to install a server with raid, and got nowhere (not without buying a 'very special' very expensive, usb floppy drive from hp)...

Ubuntu on the other hand loaded itself in no time (i could not help myself trying :) ) It recognized the raid array no trouble! plus 'course all the other hardware....

I was wondering this afternoon, it's a f*cking miracle that M$ got anywhere at all !! Even copying and pasting from perfect predecessors they have managed to create a monster.

If Linux development focuses on running windows apps natively, they will beat the sh*t out of M$, and they know it!
I mean: only 3 floppy drives are supported during install, says the microsoft site, another microsoft page states that "floppy drives are obsolete and proved to be unreliable in the long run, a role taken by the usb stick nowadays".

That's M$ for ya! I won't even bother to ask for service, even if i spent 500 euro's for the os.. I tried asking a question once, eleven years ago, and i'm still waiting...And no refunds either.....

THE MORE I LEARN ABOUT LINUX , THE MORE I LOVE LINUX!
THE MORE I LEARN ABOUT WINDOWS, THE MORE I LOVE LINUX!
THE MORE I LEARN ABOUT LINUX , THE MORE I HATE WINDOWS!
THE MORE I LEARN ABOUT WINDOWS , THE MORE I HATE WINDOWS!

I'm even thinking about dumping all my windows customers and exclusively do linux....

Hasta La Victoria Siempre... :)

Ashrael
November 28th, 2007, 08:54 PM
We have a saying in the Netherlands:

In the land of the blind, one-eye is king!

i guess that's the reason.....

MrBordello
November 28th, 2007, 09:52 PM
switched every PC I got here (around 4)! The thing that keeps me motivated is the fact that I am forced to work on a Windows PC every weekday. So every time Linux kicks my balls I just think: "it could be worse, it could be windows"

nikoPSK
November 29th, 2007, 05:30 AM
two more things i need to fix, ipod, and remote.

gwi
November 29th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I almost made the ful switch, but some things are holding me back:

my scanner is not supported by SANE. Problem is that scanners get supported long after they become available in the shops. So you have to be able to look into the future to know what scanner you have to buy today, so that it will be supported by SANE next year;
my phone (which is running Linux!) only comes with Windows desktop software (thanks to some fools at Motorola). So I have to improvise making backups via telnet over usbnet. Which brings me to the next point:
Gutsy has broken usbnet. I reported a bug, and what do I get: absolute silence. Not even a simple acknowledgement saying something like "yes, it's a bug, we are working on it". Nothing, except another user experiencing the same problem with a Sharp device. (Test with the Feisty live cd showed that usbnet is still working there.)

The third point is the one that bothers me most. A new distribution of Ubuntu breaks something, you report a bug, and then nothing happens. With this respect Ubuntu is like a vacuum cleaner, it .... (well, you know what a vacuum cleaner does).
I also reported another bug which causes the SATA controller to fail. This started about seven months ago in the early Feisty days. I hoped it would be solved by Gutsy, but it wasn't. Reported a bug and again: dead silence.
So in my opinion: Ubuntu might be a nice OS, but quality of both the product and the support has to improve. RIght now especially the latter is like the vacuum cleaner mentioned before!

brunoscunha
November 30th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I have completely switched from windows to linux, and in this case Ubuntu

Adler
November 30th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Hi All,

I'm a long time user of things *buntu, and have recently found that several things don't seem to work with the latest Gutsy or Mint.

The examples are Stream Tuner, recordMyDesktop, and others. Are the repos broken?

Has there been a rush here to out do M$ Vi$ta?

UncleJock
December 1st, 2007, 05:43 AM
I'm a gamer enough to keep my fastest system XP, and simply due to the fact that most of my favourite games will only run under that... OS.
If the developers were to announce that these games ran under linux, I'd be up to 4am right now installing Ubuntu and all the games again.

There really is no other reason to have the XP box.
Just built a linux laptop and an Ubuntu desktop for PVR using MythTV. Using it right now for surfing! Still learning linux, and I'll tell you that it has brought back the joy of computers again. It doesn't treat you like a clumsy moron, and hide all the sharp objects and pad the corners. It lets you get up to your elbows in grease, or sit back and browse the GUI. Any running with scissors is still an option, and occasionally exercised by many of us. ;)

dekeller
December 1st, 2007, 05:56 AM
I had Vista on my new Acer for 1 week then it went in favor of ubuntu 7.04. My wife held out for a month until I moved her beloved spider over from windows and installed in wine. She claimed the ubuntu version was not as good. Now my wife has 7.04 on her laptop and does not miss XP at all.

Darryl Keller

FuturePilot
December 1st, 2007, 06:32 AM
I guess you could say I'm one step closer. I'm currently reformatting my external hard drive to EXT3. No point in keeping it NTFS if I barely use Windows anymore. ;)

DDuong
December 1st, 2007, 07:52 AM
Unfortunately I love my games so I'm stilll stuck with dual booting. However, my new laptop (Thinkpad T61p) is all Xubuntu

sethvath
December 1st, 2007, 08:44 AM
Triple boot with gentoo, ubuntu and osx leopard but I do occasionally go back to a windows laptop.

Leopard is annoying me with her niggly little problems, I dont spend enough time on vista to notice the problems, ubuntu amd64 has its share of problems too. So far gentoo is the only trouble free system I had.

leafsfan13
December 1st, 2007, 09:26 AM
I honestly tried to make the complete switch, but 2 things held me back:

1. ATI drivers suck. This is the main reason, since I can't run any opengl program, no compiz, and performance as a whole is slower than my single core computer with a geforce 6200.

2. Games. No I'm not talking about UT2004, Doom, or Quake, but games that weren't released 3 years ago like CoD4, Crysis, or Oblivion, which my computer runs just fine, but try and get it to do some simple window compositing or glxgears and it crosses into the realm of integrated graphics.

I do have it running solo on my cardboard box single core computer though, and when I can be bothered to switch my keyboard, mouse, and monitor over(man I need a KVM) I enjoy using it.

Thinker-Philosopher
December 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM
I am now 100% Ubuntu as of today. Skype and webcaming was holding me back.

BLTicklemonster
December 1st, 2007, 05:57 PM
Just now removed XP from my laptop and installed just Ubuntu Gutsy on it, and of course installed vmware with XP so that I can still use it to study my Access course I'm studying...

But, at least, on one machine, I'm running just Ubuntu.

The desktop is still dual boot, gotta keep some windows stuff, you know.

But on the bright side, I just archived some dvds using just Ubuntu and Wine with my desktop running dvd decryptor and dvdshrink, so that's a start...

Count Doofus
December 1st, 2007, 11:25 PM
I'm Running 3 of 5 on a unix build counting the mac. I love the stability of ubuntu but i fear until the game industry won't be lured into the linux pond until video card manufacturers fully embrace the existence of linux and write drivers that give better performance in linux than in windows.:confused:

SpacePilot
December 3rd, 2007, 10:07 PM
I have been running Linux only since winter 2002/2003. I used to be a Gentooist (still am) But since Ubuntu is the os I administer at work I am gradually leaning more and more to Ubuntu.

coolglobal
December 4th, 2007, 12:28 PM
To be Linux or not to be that is the question... hmmm

100% Linux on my desktop ~ I just recently pressed the reject button and jettisoned, the XP ballast with the advent of Skype Video. I breathed a great sigh of relief and felt much better.

Am having great difficulty holding up a smile at work with the astonishingly dodgy XP system.

hvac3901
December 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I completely switched as of last night. I loaded Ubuntu on my t61, going well so far. working on some of the stuff i odnt have

finger reader
webcam, messenger (havn't decided which one, and presently whats wrong with kopete)

I like no love Ubuntu.

cmf04
December 4th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I have one laptop that completely runs Linux, and another that I have dual booting with Windows (that I haven't used in months). XP Pro on work PC though.

Blessed_Coffee
December 5th, 2007, 02:04 AM
I don't use windows for anything anymore, and I play games :/
Mainly quake 3.

Adler
December 5th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Hi All,

I keep playing with those .deb, versus .rpm distros.

new2*buntu
December 5th, 2007, 04:04 AM
100% Linux Mint, about to install Geubuntu 7.10 when it is released (today or tomorrow)

Magellan
December 5th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Started with Suse 8 in 2001 on a P3. Kept a dual boot with ME for a long time. Later I got an abandoned PC witha 1.1Ghz Celeron and installed Ubuntu on it (Whatever was before Dapper). That was a dual boot with Win2k, but I only booted in Windows for 3 applications (Band in the Box, TaxCut, and to access on-line banking when my bank only supported IE). That was upgraded to Dapper.

The Celeron died in August and I just set up the P3 with Gutsy. That is going to be my office computer. I ordered a new Duo Core from Dell during their Black Friday sale and will put Gutsy on that as well. Was considering a dual boot with OS X, but I read Band in the Box now works with Linux, so I have no need. I can use my work laptop to complete my taxes once a year or just use the on-line version of the software.

I have an HP Celeron that I plan to make a file server and am getting a PIV that I plan to set up as an HTPC with LinuxMCE.

I have been "clean" for for a few years now with my only Windows use at work and on my cell phone.

loa
December 5th, 2007, 08:30 AM
I've been using Linux completely now on my main computer since ~2000. I began with slackware a few years before that, then swithced to debian, and after that Ubuntu. However, on our new laptop we just bought this fall, we use Windows. I will try to install Ubuntu on it later, but I first have to get permission from my wife... ;-)

sageb1
December 5th, 2007, 08:50 AM

Everytime I run my XP box I am remind of why i switched: Google Desktop pwned XP, and uninstalling it is a bitch.

Tho I aint pleased that no matter which browser or OS I use, save for w3m, java still pwns the OS and eventually hogs all the memory due to its devil's pact with the browser.

I thought the reason to switch was to end this memory problem when you mix script engines with the browser (eg in Windows, between ActiveX & Java and IE). Did Linux, Mozilla and even Opera 'geers train at Redmond after signing their own devil's pact with Microsloth so they could pore over the IE engine code and create similar problems plaguing Firefox/Mozilla (and Epiphany by default but Konqueror due to KDE's larger footprint) as well as Opera???

Despite web browsers being memory hogs, I am starting to like Opera because it did what Mozilla, and much later Microsoft, attempted to do with tabbed windows, plus the tools are more self contained and don't pop up in child windows.

Sadly though, it's untrue that Opera has a smaller memory footprint than Mozilla/Firefox.

So in short, let's just say my XP box is on standby in case some darkside crackerjack artist devises a script that renders my Linux box inoperable after he places it on some NFS website I happen upon.

Tho I am tempted to install Ubuntu on a new HD and update it from 6.06 through 6.06.1 to 6.10 and upgrade it onwards to 7.04 and 7.10 just to see if I can access the servers for DAAP/Firefly and WWW using thttpd which I installed on the current Ubuntu Linux box as well as seeing if the zeroconf/Bonjour server announces the Firefly server on the LAN.

By then will I have cut the ties to XP, save for my roomies' XP machine. They are simple folk who like being Microserfs and find Linux to be too "Satanic" for their needs. And they phear me using it lest it magically crash and burn.

sethvath
December 5th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Despite web browsers being memory hogs, I am starting to like Opera because it did what Mozilla, and much later Microsoft, attempted to do with tabbed windows, plus the tools are more self contained and don't pop up in child windows.

Sadly though, it's untrue that Opera has a smaller memory footprint than Mozilla/Firefox.

If you're suggesting Opera had tabs long after Mozilla and Microsoft pioneered it you're wrong. Opera was one of the earliest to have tabbed browsing.

Using the lastest stable builds of opera and firefox, open up 20 identical tabs, leave them for an hour and post the memory footprint here.

»John«
December 6th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Hello, everyone =)
I have completely switched to Linux (currently Ubuntu 7.10) about a year or so and I'm very glad I did. The migration process wasn't anywhere near that painful as I thought and I haven't had any major problems with my computer ever since - as far as I can tell, Linux indeed "just works" as promised. Now I'm recommending everyone to at least give it shot and not to install (not to mention actually buy) Windows unless it's absolutely necessary. I encourage everyone who's considering migration to an alternative OS to at least dual-boot as soon as possible because there's nothing to fear - I've been using Windows all the time and I had absolutely no experience with anything UNIX-like but there was hardly anything I couldn't live with since I got rid of Windows. As far as gaming goes, it's only software vendors' fault there are so few native Linux versions of popular game titles but the situation seems to be improving and the more Linux users exist, the better supported it's gonna be, so go for it.

ZakSmith
December 6th, 2007, 01:49 AM
I switched from XP to Ubuntu 6.06 in the summer of 2006, just for curiosity. I was a USMC network administrator and therefore only used Windows (no prior computer experience). I have had only minor issues, esspecially with wireless, but since I only use wired at home, its not that big a deal for me. I've gotten several older games to work with WINE (C&C Gold, Star Trek Armada I & II, and Star Wars Jedi Outcast), but haven't really experimented with any newer games since my computer is a Frankenstein-home-build. My hardware is just not up to par yet. I love how I don't pay for anything any more though. I get hardware from trash/scrap heaps and the software is either stuff I have owned for years or is FOSS. I'm loving it! I'm also working on building two separate networks using just Ubuntu Server/"Workstation". One for a high school ROTC unit that doesn't have the funds for new stuff and the other for a start up solar panel installation company. I'll try to post stuff in the forums about my trials and tribulations through those.

Roberto_Lapuente
December 7th, 2007, 05:09 AM
i started with xubuntu 8 months ago ando now i use ubuntu feisty in my new laptop, i erased vista but 15 days ago i installed xp. I still use ubuntu as my primary OS but in xp i can play Age of Empires 3

SomeGuyDude
December 7th, 2007, 05:28 AM
If you're suggesting Opera had tabs long after Mozilla and Microsoft pioneered it you're wrong. Opera was one of the earliest to have tabbed browsing.

Using the lastest stable builds of opera and firefox, open up 20 identical tabs, leave them for an hour and post the memory footprint here.

I believe Opera was the 3rd browser to use tabs, at least the third major one (I'm sure one of the smaller guys came up with it early on).

Neoplanet was the first I found with tabs, back in around 1998. Not long after that Netscape picked up on it. I don't remember when Opera joined the party, but I don't believe it was quite that early that they used the tab thang.

jbrevik
December 7th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Just dumped XP 3 weeks ago. I still have to use it at work everyday though

odd
December 7th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I switched to Linux for good about a year and a half ago. Berfore that I had some distros on 2nd partition after WinXP. I've been using Gentoo for a long time, but after releasing Ubuntu 7.10 I use only Ubuntu. It totaly suits my needs (graphic / webdesign work and daily use). Works like a charm :-)

~LoKe
December 7th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I've been using Linux and only linux for the last two years. I never dual booted (well, I started with a dual boot because I was using a family computer).

And just the other day, I switched out from a pretty Gnome desktop with compiz for a dwm environment. So far so good.

margni
December 7th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I made the complete switch to linux about 4 or 5 months ago after using linux for about the same time. I miss some games but that's about it.

oh and my scanner doesn't work under linux but they're cheap so I'm just going to buy a new one. Once I get around to it.

Don't give up on your scanner... I got mine working through = http://www.sane-project.org/
It took some elbow grease, but I got it to work well... I have an Epson Perfection 4920, and it's working very well...

margni
December 7th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I have my Dell Inspirion 5100 as an all - Ubuntu (Dapper) box, and it does everything I've asked of it to do... file share, music, video, scanning, etc.
And all of that has come from elbow grease, and this forum!!!

I can't give up Dragon NaturallySpeaking though... And I've tried Wine etc, and there still isn't a viable speech alternative for Linux. Anyone got anything on speech with linux that works, or can be tweaked into Ubuntu?

KalTorak
December 8th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Till the beginning I wiped out the hated win os and put on ubuntu 7.10 only!
Needing applications that run only in win, I installed win xp under virtualbox :lolflag: :lolflag: :lolflag:

Wazeem
December 8th, 2007, 02:04 AM
I have. I still have windows XP but thats only for emergencies now.

new2*buntu
December 8th, 2007, 02:18 AM
I switched completely about a month ago and I never will look back! Now I dual-boot Linux Mint 4.0 and Geubuntu 7.10.

mb125
December 9th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Ive ran red hat back in 97 but didnt have the apps i needed, then about a year ago i tried out suse and 2 months later ubuntu fiesty. Needless to say winblows is totally obsolete for me :guitar:

Simon Bridge
December 9th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Heyy... still with Ubuntu and doing tech support for free software. Recently installed Ubuntu 7.10 to four hp/compaq nx5000 laptops and everything goes except the hibernate. (Kept XP on one box for comparison - found it doesn't have a hibernate option at all...) The second I mentioned "suspend" to a MS tech, he threw up his hands in dispair.

Had a go bringing the default 2004 OEM install of WinXP Hame up to Ubuntu's functionality - using free software as much as possible. Firefox, Evolution and Open Office were fine - as with ClamAV, but had to resort to free-gratis for the rest. Did get a multi-desktop app and there's no shortage of docks. Discovered that XP would not play some DVDs (Particularly the B5 DVDs) without installing a dedicated player... and I've been watching these under linux without noticing a thing.

Existing apps won't open odt files or play any of my media collection.

Nah - it's too painful to get everything Ubuntu does out of the box, never mind the stuff Ubuntu needs extra downloads for. I guess Windows (XP/Home) just isn't ready for the desktop.

gfixler
December 9th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Somewhere around August of '06, my Windows got hacked through an exploit in RealVNC I didn't know about. I found logs eventually that showed the hacker had been in my machine often for 3 months - all the way to the beginning of my 3-month logs, so likely longer. That wasn't specifically Windows' fault, I think, but I was so fed up with it by that point, especially reading about the horrors of the upcoming Vista, and a friend had had me try the Knoppix LiveCD, and was getting me more interested in this new Ubuntu thing. I was due for a new PC anyway, so I bought a new one, and installed an XP/Dapper dual boot with his help.

I knew it would be a struggle to relearn more than a decade of Windows and Mac use (old Macs, pre all the glitz), so I just stuck with it, and forgave it a lot of strangenesses. I wrote a text file of what I didn't like as a way to vent, as I came across problems, but eventually all of those faded, and I could write a far longer list of what I hate about Windows :) e.g. I was furious there was nothing nearly as awesome as UltraEdit32 on Linux - what in the world did coders use in this OS? Later I gave Vim a shot, and somehow, fell madly in love. I'd never edited my code with such raw power. I didn't even know you could! UltraEdit feels in my way at work now, and I often use gvim. I've learned to really hate the mouse for constantly adding a speed bump to everything I do.

Soon the shell became a thing of beauty. I work in video game development, and things there on Windows crash all the time, and I never know why. I have to track down a real programmer (I'm just an enthusiastic tinkerer) to debug it, if we had the source. In Linux, I can usually run from the shell a crashy app, and get something I can start to use to track down the issue. The online helps (here mostly) have been wonderful, too. I have many problems for which no one anywhere online or off could find an answer on Windows, because it's closed up, but I've pretty much always figured out any problem on Linux, or at least found a workaround, often through help from other Linux people online.

When I thoroughly hosed that PC a few months ago (pulled some cables from the mobo while it was on - it started crashing continually in both OSes after that, and I couldn't track down the issue) - I bought a new box, built from the ground up from Newegg parts. I didn't even bother dual booting on that. It's only Gutsy now. My first PC - the one that was hacked through VNC on XP - that became a Dapper box to control my mini mill and mini lathe (CNC machine tools), and it still is Dapper only. The new PC is only Gutsy. I have no Windows here right now, and haven't for 3 months.

I'm probably going to put the old drive from the crashy PC in the new box, and install XP on that, but only because it's a good place to check things like hardware, to see if it's not working in Linux, because of Linux, or because of the hardware, or if I absolutely have to try out something (e.g. a game) that won't work on Linux. However, I hadn't booted into Windows in most of a year, and only those few times to make something in Flash for a friend's website. I'm pretty much all Linux at home now, and wishing I was at work (often using Cygwin for powerful file/folder work) I even got one of the programmers interested, and he's been coming to my office to ask me for command line help, and liking it's power.

e.g. last week he stopped over: "I have a text file of file names, newline separated, from a directory, and I just want to delete them all. Is there an easy way to do that in Linux (he was using Cygwin, I think)?"

Yep!

$ cat yourfile | xargs rm

him (after it worked): Whoa, awesome.

Yep! It sure is. Now I'm writing Bash scripts, learning Python, and Lisp, and looking to eventually dig into Haskell, and the computer does just about everything I ever hoped a computer could do. With things like Compiz Fusion, even the long-time Windows users at work are visibly jealous of all this free/open/rocking stuff, and the fun I'm having making it do anything, and everything I want, usually with a hotkey, or button :)

rexmundy
December 10th, 2007, 01:19 AM
I was still using Win98SE till 2006 when my install CD exploded in the drive while doing a new install, which was a fairly regular thing with Windows. I couldn't find another Win98 CD anywhere and wasn't going to pay for anything from Windows and all the computer nerds I spoke to tried to tell me my computer (which I built from scratch out of various bits I found in skips) was junk and I'd have to pay good money for a "real" computer and put whatever the latest Windows crap was on it.

I didn't believe them so I burned a few different Linux live CD's and tried them out. After a while I have come round to using Ubuntu 7.04 with the XFCE desktop because it just works great. Old computers are NOT obsolete with Linux and you DON'T have to keep buying new ones every two years just because the man in the shop said so. He's an idiot.

Eschguy
December 10th, 2007, 02:46 AM
I'm completely Ubuntu on my tower. Sadly my university requires that I keep XP on my laptop. Though I'm going to Mac over next summer.

If you are a gamer, pick up a 360, most games that come out for the PC come out for the 360. It's what I did :)

Linuxratty
December 10th, 2007, 02:50 AM
I'm off and on with Windows,right now just Klikit is on my hd.

tommysdad
December 10th, 2007, 04:07 AM
I installed it less than a week ago on a spare machine (Aopen Xcube) to run a TF2 server. You guessed it I`ve been on the Xcube since.If I can get Steam to run well in WINE, then I`ll install it in my XP pro Game Tower, and the boy`s PC , .I`m lovin this Ubuntu malarky .7.10 Gutsy Gibbon.

tommysdad

linux noooob
December 11th, 2007, 12:59 AM
when installing arc Linux i deleted my whole hard drive by accident (including the recovery partition) so i just went Ubuntu all the way!

marcopolo1981
December 11th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I dual boot Vista and Ubuntu 7.10. I love Ubuntu too bits - it's the concept that sold it to me. Nobody gets rich from our need for software to do our jobs or to entertain ourselves. People GIVE us what we need. If I have a problem and need advice with a program, I just come in here and ask. there is always somebody eager to assist!
I'm trying to convert my wife from XP, But she uses her laptop for work and is hesitant. She is slowly coming around though and I have explained the dual boot.
The only reason I keep Vista is because I can't find a program that will let me rip ''protected'' dvd's to put onto my mpeg4 player. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it's bye-bye Vista!!!
Mark

Scoobie_snack
December 12th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Hey
Like most people here, I wiped Vista and XP from both computers and jumped in the deep end about a month ago.
Although, I have had to dual boot my laptop because I can't find a messenger that has voice chat and I can't get Rubies Of Eventide, Oblivion or Doom 3 running on WINE.
The muds that I play are working great under Ubuntu and the Gnome-Mud client is perfect for me. I also use Linux for my web designing work and image editing, I was actually more worried that I wouldn't handle the swap work wise but its been a breeze with programs like The GIMP.

I'm still very noob with its advanced capabilities but that will come with time. As "marcopolo1981" said
If I have a problem and need advice with a program, I just come in here and ask. there is always somebody eager to assist!
Try getting that level of support and that feeling of family with windows!
:guitar:

MerlinX420
December 12th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I get my gameing fix with Open Arena. ZSNES is great when I'm feeling retro. I've noticed games are being added all the time. I completely despise windows now!!!
To think I use to PAY good money for that crap!

MerlinX420
December 12th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I'm ripping one right now with Thoggen...right into ogg!!!

cyclefiend2000
December 12th, 2007, 05:47 PM
at home, my laptop is mac os x only. although, it is an older version of os x so i have been thinking of dual booting it. my desktop was a dual boot win xp and kubuntu 7.04. however, the hd failed the other day. i replaced the hd and didnt bother install windows. for what i use computers for at home 95% of the time i dont need windows (only when i am doing cad work at home do i need windows). i am going to try using autocad through virtualbox and see how that goes.

at work, i am a slave to windows. our cad software wont run on anything else, and there are no linux or os x alternatives. (our fileserver is running a linux distro-sme server)

Medich
December 12th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I also had dual boot,XP and Ubuntu,but i formated the disk,and installed only Ubuntu,I'm not planing to install Windows ever again :D

krdt
December 12th, 2007, 06:10 PM
My main machine at home has run a wide variety of Linux distro's including Mandrake, RedHat/Fedora, Debian, Gentoo for years. I converted to permanently using Ubuntu almost 2 years ago, currently running 7.10. I do have to keep a copy of windows (XP-SP2) running as a VM under VirtualBox, in order to access Windows-based software at work via Citrix metaframe (which works very nicely - much better than with Vista running native!). My daughter's machine is almost always on Ubuntu also, but she dual-boots to Win XP to run Dragon dictation software when needed.

pedro_orange
December 12th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Full Ubuntu at home for 3 months now!

Have to use Windoze at work, but thats only 37.5hrs a week!

(I feel like I'm at an AA meeting - Been sober for 3 months! w00t!! )

Lster
December 12th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I have now entirely switched. It was actually an accident, but I'm happy!

asmiller-ke6seh
December 12th, 2007, 07:42 PM
My first Ubuntu experience was on an old box my dad had laying around - which I finally installed and got working with Kubuntu. Next, I loaded dual boot Ubuntu on my main PC. After a while I found myself rarely booting in to Windows, so I bought a laptop for Ubuntu, and I am committed.

Recently, I loaded XP under VMWare Server just so I could do my tax return with TurboTax (it won't run under WINE), but once that's done, I'll back up the data files and wipe TurboTax (and probably VMWare, too).

Over the winter, I will be converting my desktop system to Ubuntu server to provide file service to the household - mostly for video and music, as well as to provide a place to backup data for client systems. I will also be converting my wife's desktop to Ubuntu, too ... and then there will be no more Micro$oft in our home. None. Nada. Zilch.

:guitar:

gfd_2
December 12th, 2007, 07:47 PM
our desktop is on XP but now that I have sound working in Gutsy on my Acer laptop I'm ready to move that to Gutsy as well.

schweyer
December 13th, 2007, 02:39 AM
I've done it and I do not regret this step.

Yes, it has been a lot of work, after many years of XP use, but now, I've got a system which runs great and also thank you all for your support I've got here in the forum.

Happy again with my computer and happy with out any crashes.

t0p
December 13th, 2007, 02:47 AM
I'm a dual-booter, Gutsy and WinXP Pro. I very rarely boot Windows, but I've kept it because of my digital camera - the program that interacts with the camera runs on XP, I can connect to the camera with Ubuntu, but all I can do is download the photos. The Windows program is much more featureful.

I'm looking round for a program that will give me similar functionality, and when I find one I'll be able to kiss XP goodbye. And I really do want to scrape Windows off my hard drive. It'd be cool if Ubuntu was the only OS on my box.

FoolsGold45
December 13th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Eh, off and on. The world still uses Windows so much I don't want to miss out on the technological trends (eg. Silverlight, .NET, C#) and other backend technologies used in the industry. Prefer to have a hand in everything, rather than limit myself for ideological reasons. Can't escape it, but it's important to have knowledge in alternative systems anyway.

kathryn
December 13th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I haven't completely switched yet. That said, I installed ubuntu (gutsy) for the first time at the weekend (replacing suse as the dual boot) and it might just lure me away from XP on a more permanent basis! I'm very impressed with ubuntu so far. :)

ken_vh
December 13th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I write software and since most people use Windows, I still have an XP installation through VirtualBox.

theheadlessrabbit
December 13th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I still run a dual boot winXP/ubuntu machine.

for some reason, I cant get java working on ubuntu, so when i want to upload some new pictures to facebook, i have to use windows.

plus, i have adobie audition, premier and aftereffects installed for making videos.

i hate to admit it, but windows movie maker, although it is limited, is incredibly fast and easy to use. I wish I knew of a linux allternative for my youtube videos.

kenny1948
December 13th, 2007, 05:32 PM
:)I have dual boot. Windows xp for some things like language software, never connect with it to the internet, had way too much trouble, with fast ethernet connection.

Linux takes a little more effort. You have to learn to tweak stuff. It's not for people used to an OS that does everything for you. If you're totally into video games and such, it's not the right OS. Works fine for most everything else.

SnakeHips
December 13th, 2007, 05:44 PM
The only remnants of anything windows now is a FAT32 partition for my backup data ,aside that it is all ubuntu/linux now. I confess the learning curve was a steep one ,does'nt help that im a lazy so and so ,but i have no regrets from switching some 3 months ago. I can only see Ubuntu getting easier as it develops......or am i being nieve?

zoe-scutterbug
December 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM
At home I totally *buntued, I have had dual boots, but never went over to the otherside...so it was a waste of disk space

At work..well despite of it being a fairly radical co-operative...they are scared of anything thats not their normal safe (sic!) windows. I find it funny myself.

andlinux21
December 15th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I havent totally switched yet I am really into photography right now and I am using lightroom so I havent made the switch yet. I have one box that is a server running ubuntu, and a windows machine that I use for photo projects and testing software.

cdog7
December 16th, 2007, 06:29 AM
I have a winXP laptop, but Linux is a great desktop with the right things installed. I use Fedora 7 currently, I have a machine that is over 4 years old. Added 512M memory to it recently when I started a LAMP project.

When I get a new machine, I want to experiment with windows and different Linux versions in virtual machines.

Linux is ready for people that don't mind learning some about how it works. It is a much better Windows replacement than it was the last time you tried it.

snideatlondon
December 17th, 2007, 12:00 PM
since skype4linux 2.0 beta began fully supporting my webcam three weeks ago I have not touched a microsoft product... my mental health and wellbeing have improved most significantly!

fatality_uk
December 17th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I have used Linux at home for a good few years. I am currently undertaking a project to see the possibilitiy to migrate the userbase for my company to Linux (Prob Ubuntu). The TCO is looking just in favour of Linux right now taking hardware/software support into account but the ONE main problem is the ERP system we use simply doesn't work with Linux. If that can be overcome, then I think we will go ahead!

sailor2001
December 17th, 2007, 01:53 PM
was sailing along quite nice without windows for almost a year when I tried to install a phone air card....Had to have windows for that to configure....arggggggggg..

sstusick
December 17th, 2007, 10:44 PM
was sailing along quite nice without windows for almost a year when I tried to install a phone air card....Had to have windows for that to configure....arggggggggg..
I still keep Windows installed for things like that. Otherwise I don't boot into it that often.

zach12
December 17th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I have

klange
December 17th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Currently in the painful process of, once again, trying to convert my PDA.
It would normally be a very simple and easy process, but the files I require are on servers that rarely ever respond. 1 mb file, takes 3 hours to download, and you're lucky if it even starts.
Ahh, but before the year is out I'll have GPE running on my iPaq, and that's good enough for me. First gotta get the **** kernel modules so that Opie works remotely well, then I'll try my luck at the newest rootfs image for GPE ('cause GPE is sooo much better and has actually been updated within the past 6 months)

Other than that, still have to deal with two desktops that run Winblows, but only when someone else in my family does something stupid and I need to fix them. One of these days I'm just going to say **** it and in will go the live CD...

jubu18z
December 17th, 2007, 11:04 PM
o god i switched completely a couple days ago i had to reinstall some stuff cause i was a noob but now im doin more than what i could do in windows. Koulourpaint is a paint alt. Gimp is photoshop. firefox and thunderbird are almost native to ubuntu so thats awesome, still looking for a torrent client (tried deluge, utorrent (in wine), azureus (someone pm me with a good one). Banshee helps for music and transfers to the ipod, vlc was great on windows and better on here for videos. frostwire is good (its limewire pro but better in certain ways), gaim (pidgin cant get on feisty for some reason, if someone knows how pm me about that too but gaim 2.6 beta which is right before pidgin is great) is for imimg, open office is for well office, the little deskbar search is like spot light so thats cool and than weather (corny but its usefull) is good, the multiple desktops are very handy, its almost a cross between windows and os x with a few nice casual games, and ITS FREE so i dont have to have cracked windows crap anymore im so completely switched to ubuntu, also i have a problem with wireless i know gutsy fixed it but that thing starts way slow so if someone can tell me how to use ndiswrapper pm me yet again thanks

sstusick
December 18th, 2007, 01:17 AM
...gaim (pidgin cant get on feisty for some reason, if someone knows how pm me about that too but gaim 2.6 beta which is right before pidgin is great) Go to GetDeb.net and download Pidgin there.

mmb1
December 18th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I would ofte dabble with Linux and run back to Windows when I wasn't satisfied. I accidentally formatted my hard drive during the Ubuntu installation, leaving me with only Ubuntu. I've never looked back.

mdl74
December 18th, 2007, 05:22 AM
I've been a Mac user all my life. I would love to switch entirely to Linux, except that I'll have to wait until my PPC iBook is retired. It's been simply too much of a headache to configure the hardware (especially since Ubuntu dropped its PPC support).

That's OK, however, because the *nix base of both systems makes it easy to run the same programs on both Mac and Linux (vim, mutt, subversion, etc.).

I don't know what I'd do if someone forced me to use a Windows machine. I'd be completely lost. (While I'm at it, can someone please explain to me why Windows desktops look so bad? I sat down at an XP screen the other day and could have sworn it was the year 1995...)

In short, Linux has all the goodness of the Mac OS times 10, with loads more flexibility. It has none of the badness of Windows.

Espreon
December 18th, 2007, 06:31 AM
In terms of home computing I have completely switched to Linux. At school however, I am forced against my will to use Micro$*** Winblow$.

jfaurschou
December 18th, 2007, 06:45 AM
I made the switch @ home about a month ago, It's been great, and my wife has even bought into it! ("All this is free?!?!") Though, with work I have to use MS. Though I do run the live CD when I'm traveling and not doing work related stuff, havening that functionality is awesome. Still looking for some decent Financial software, to rival Quicken. Any Ideas, do share.

Espreon
December 18th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I made the switch @ home about a month ago, It's been great, and my wife has even bought into it! ("All this is free?!?!") Though, with work I have to use MS. Though I do run the live CD when I'm traveling and not doing work related stuff, havening that functionality is awesome. Still looking for some decent Financial software, to rival Quicken. Any Ideas, do share.

Ummmm, Gnucash?

P235
December 18th, 2007, 07:20 AM
I began using Linux as a solution for my HP laptop. At the time, it kept on BSOD-ing seemingly at random and I grew tired of the fruitless trips to the store trying to take advantage of the extended warranty I bought into. To my frustration (or great relief!), after learning how to use Ubuntu, I ran some memtests and learned that the RAM needed to be replaced.

Windows continues to have a function in the house, but I've kept on using Ubuntu on my own. Truly, the effort to learn and broaden my horizons with Linux was well spent. Those tech support fools have definitely fallen below my expectations and I certainly will not be doing business with them again. There are no such things as lemon laptops or lemon PCs! When an ordinary user describes a laptop as a lemon, perhaps that is acceptable as laptop repair is outside their realm of experience. However, when the tech man begins to describe a laptop as a lemon and writes the problems off as unsolvable, alarms should be sounding and red flags should be raised up high in your mind.

It seems I've ranted a bit, but, in any event, to freedom! May I one day be able to completely switch from Windows.

Dog's_Breakfast
December 19th, 2007, 02:27 AM
I bought a Dell Inspiron 1420 N laptop. It came with Ubuntu pre-installed. However, that was Ubuntu 7.04 - I've since upgraded to 7.10. It's been great. I do not have Windows installed and have no need to do so.

regards,
Robert

klange
December 19th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Things are not going well in my continuing struggle for a Linux PDA. I finally got the GPE images for my rx3700 - but the archive was corrupt, and no amount of recovery helped. It also turns out that Opie isn't using my battery for more than 5 seconds any more, so when removed from an external power source it just stops and shutsdown.

Maybe I should just scrap it (sell it) and get an OpenMoko when the final version comes out... (which I just remembered happens this month!)

CCNA_student
December 19th, 2007, 04:29 AM
I still have to use Windows XP from time to time. For some reason I cannot get Cisco's new CCNA curriculum(v4.0) to work on Linux. Cisco supposedly put out a version that works on Linux but it does not work. I hate how Cisco does everything with Java scripts and Flash. Almost all of the curriculum can be done in HTML. Other than that, I never use
Windows.

Sin Cere,

CCNA_student

girijesh
December 19th, 2007, 04:44 AM
It is almost 3 years since i switched over to Linux. Well there are specific problems which can not be sorted out in Linux and windows do not have it. In numerous forums I have tried to find the solution of the problems but to no avail.

(1) Ubuntu - Everything is fine except that at PIII machines it becomes irresponsive and hangs after 10 or 15 minutes of inactivity. All sorts of tweaking suggested were tried but to no avail. The problem is not happening in celeron machines. You can just imagine the dilemma of a person who is being pressed hard by a remote school teacher to switch over to windows just to avoid this problem. There is no internet at the school.

(2) RPM based distros: To sort out the problem (1) I decided to switch over to RPM based distros. Fedora is notorious because of anaconda being buggy. It gives inconsistent error messages about hard disk/partitions whereas on the same hard disk/partitions debian distros find no problem in installation. I tried PCLinuxOS and it was installed but again a different problem erupted. Since there is no internet at school, I use portable usb harddisk to carry the updates/data. Now, the same usb hard disk which gets easily auto mounted in windows and ubuntu enviros, PCLinuxOS refuses to even manually mount the same. Again numerous tweaking suggested were tried but to no avail.

(3) I wish to have a method so that I can update my home installation thru' internet and then use the same rpm or deb files to update computers installed at remote school but I end up with numerous unmet dependencies and broken installations. There is no step to step guide as how to sort out this problem.

I am not a techie and computer professional. I find it difficult as a common man to use linux. That's a truth even after 3 years trying on it.

It appears to me that since there is no centralised, uniform and consistent approach for basics in Linux installation, everybody is going his own way. The strength of Linux is now proving to be its weakness as far as its penetration in masses is concerned. I don't know when it will be easier to use linux as windows. Regarding the remote school installation, now I'm getting frustrated.

jan quark
December 19th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Completely switched to Linux on my desktop pc and laptop. Now I am trying to infiltrate :) Ubuntu on my fathers pc.

nOoOoOb
December 19th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I discovered Ubuntu 6 months ago and instantly switched on it 100%.
One month later my multi-boot was Ubuntu - Kubuntu - Debian (even if I payed my licence for Vista OEM on my new laptop :(
Thanks to the Free Community !

CJ56
December 19th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Totally - one desktop built round an iDeq 250N (full of raw power); one laptop, a wheezy old Inspiron 1200 tottering along with 256Mb RAM and a limp Celeron. Both running Gutsy 7.10. I had to help my wife source a .pdf creator on her work Xp laptop last night. I'd forgotten how naff, flagrant and misleading all those Windows add-on websites are: this brought it back with a jolt. Ubuntu is pure Alpine air in comparison.

thelatinist
December 19th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Deleted my windows partition last Friday. I now dual boot two separate installations of Ubuntu, one that I use daily and a back-up in case I break the primary. I will sync my main install to my backup every couple of weeks using tar (much faster than a partition image). I am very very satisfied.

bbc
December 21st, 2007, 06:13 PM
In my personal life, I only use ubuntu, I keep XP on my machine though, because I do computer work for people in my free time, unfortunately they only use XP, some use vista, but vista is the equivalent of putting a virus on someone's machine...hahahaha.:lolflag: