PDA

View Full Version : For Python Fans...

cprofitt
February 6th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Which GUI 'framework' do you all prefer?

GTK+

wxWidgets?

Qt4?

Glade?

Other? (please name)

Thanks

ghostdog74
February 6th, 2008, 04:36 PM
its just like asking "which programming language do you all prefer" and then goes all that crap again...just try them all out and decide for yourself.

Acglaphotis
February 6th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I use glade.

cprofitt
February 6th, 2008, 05:30 PM
its just like asking "which programming language do you all prefer" and then goes all that crap again...just try them all out and decide for yourself.

** deleted **

LaRoza
February 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM
See my wiki for information on a bunch of them.

I typically use Tkinter, not because it is the best, but because it comes with standard Python. That is an important consideration to keep in mind.

cprofitt
February 6th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I use glade.

What do you like about Glade?

cprofitt
February 6th, 2008, 05:35 PM
See my wiki for information on a bunch of them.

I typically use Tkinter, not because it is the best, but because it comes with standard Python. That is an important consideration to keep in mind.

Thanks... good links there...Yes... being a 'standard' is a good thing.

ghostdog74
February 7th, 2008, 05:56 AM
I am sorry that you don't have a valuable contribution to make but still felt the need to make a post. Next time please refrain from doing so or I shall be forced to send you to your room without dinner. :)

Sorry kid, I am not about to "argue" with you on this. If you can't comprehend, too bad.

RIchard James13
February 7th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I don't prefer any of them. They all have problems but I haven't used QT or wxWidgets yet.

Tkinter looks ugly under gnome and is missing some functionality, not as many events.

GTK and Glade are pretty much the same thing, you just get the interface in different ways. With Glade the big annoyance is the need to connect your events to program code. There are programs that can automatically do this for you but I haven't seen one do it properly yet.

With GTK there is a steep learning curve based around the whole VBOX HBOX layout method. Although you can use tables or other positioning they are not as effective as the VBOX HBOX way.

That is all my opinion anyway.

cprofitt
February 7th, 2008, 12:16 PM
snip...

Thanks for your opinion. It will help me evaluate my options further. I appreciate the honest contribution to the thread.

pmasiar
February 7th, 2008, 02:05 PM
@ PrivateVoid: When you don't add anything meaningful to the quoted comment, can you at least trim the quote? Thanks.

Edit: Seems like I had another "trim the quotes" day. :-)
Mind you, it happens, but not as often as it did before, i am recovering :-)

cprofitt
February 7th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Yep, sorry.

Acglaphotis
February 8th, 2008, 04:30 AM
What do you like about Glade?

I like to keep my GUI separated from my main code. And i like GTK more than QT (mostly because im a gnome dude).

cprofitt
February 8th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I like to keep my GUI separated from my main code.

So the other potential GUI frameworks integrate your GUI with the code like Visual Studio does? Thanks I think you may have pointed me in the direction I want to go... it sounds like Glade is similary to Turbo C++ that came with a sep. GUI creation program... which I did like.

slavik
February 8th, 2008, 07:21 AM
The thing that I like about libglade is that you can have 2 people work on a program (one is the backend coder, the other is the interface designer).

in the end, they come together and link events :)