PDA

View Full Version : Documentation: Howtos Faqs Readmes etc.

Liet_Kynes
February 5th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I've just recently gotten recently gotten back into open source software after a longish absence. Its been a while now since I've had the systems up and running and I had some time to reflect on my experiences now and in the past.

I remember (back when the www was still birthing(or at least where I was)) having to read loads of the documentation included with the distro just to get things up and running. X was a horror story in most cases. But that was what attracted me to Open Source in the first place. The fact that I was learning so much. From how a tcp connection gets initiated to how dns works all from reading the docs included in the basic install. There were also some weird howto's in there I remember. (Debian and FreeBSD)

Its a shame that I myself have become spoiled by the instant always on internet access we have these days. So much easier to ask for help, follow instructions step by step from a Howto(cut and paste into a terminal eek), and fix something you have no idea what it was and what you did to get it right.

Is it just me? Does anyone remember these Howto's? Are they still included with linux distro? I can't seem to find it on this ubuntu installation.

Maybe it was debian specific. But I remember the freebsd handbook was also good.

Ah well not sure if this really belongs in this forum but anyway.

Oo oo snap! I just remember one of them was on making a beowulf cluster. Those were the reads. :)

Ciao!