View Full Version : Easy to use library for 2D drawing?

February 4th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Dear All,
I'm looking for some easy to use library to write rather simple 2D game. It should not be super-fast or hardware accelerated, but I want it to be more or less simple to learn and to understand. The side-purpose of this project is to gain some experience in Linux programming and C/C++, which I never used for serious things (I'm a fortran expert). I looked at openGL but it is really very scary - I don't want to spend months learning how to draw a pixel on the bitmap.
What I need:
* (reasonably) fast access to individual pixels
* drawing lines and basic shapes
* loading pictures
* easy access to keyboard events

Any suggestions are appreciated!

February 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Check out SDL, then check out SDL_gfx (it's a side-library that makes it easier to draw simple shapes and such). You can also use OpenGL with SDL when you're up to it.

February 4th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I have no personal experience with it, but I've heard good things about libcairo: http://www.cairographics.org/

February 4th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Yes, SDL sounds perfect for what you want. It handles graphics, sound, and input. Setting it up on Ubuntu is also very easy; just type:

sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev
And it will set the development libraries for you.

Once it installed you can test it with this prog if you like:

#include "SDL/SDL.h"
#include <math.h>

#define GRAPHICS_WIDTH 256
#define BITDEPTH 32
#define DEG_TO_RAD 0.0174532925
#define FRAME_LIMIT 1000 / 20 //Limit the animation to 20 frames per second

SDL_Surface *screen = NULL;
SDL_Event event;

void WritePixel(int x, int y, Uint32 col)
Uint32 *pix;

int main()
// Setup stuff
if(SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO) !=0)
return 1;
if(screen == NULL)
return 1;

int x;
int quit = 0;
int anim = 0;
unsigned timer;

//This is the main loop that runs until the program ends
//Get the start time at the begining of each loop
timer = SDL_GetTicks();

//Clear teh screen
SDL_FillRect(screen, NULL, 0);

// Draw something here
for(x=0; x<GRAPHICS_WIDTH; x++)
WritePixel(x, 128+cos(x*DEG_TO_RAD+anim)*100, 0xFFFFFFFF);

// Flip the stuff drawn into view
return 1;

//This code checks for a keypress, which signals to end the program

//Increment animation
if(++anim > 359) anim = 0;

//This delays the program so that it does not run too fast
timer = SDL_GetTicks()-timer;
if(timer < FRAME_LIMIT) SDL_Delay(FRAME_LIMIT-timer);

return 0;
That will basically set up the screen and draw some stuff. To compile it you will have to link SDL:

gcc -Wall filename -lSDL
You can also find some good SDl tutorials Here:
and here:

February 4th, 2008, 06:24 PM
with those requirements i wouldn't go with SDL because the core library doesnt have drawing line and shape functions. also accessing to individual pixels is almost never fast :)
I would recommend you allegro (www.allegro.cc)
also notice that these libraries doesn't have hardware acceleration. if you need it you must learn opengl now or then. my personal choice would be to go with "opengl + glfw". you can do countless things with this combination ;)

February 5th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Thank you guys! I'll check these libraries.

February 5th, 2008, 09:51 PM
IMO, opengl is super easy to get set up. Install GLUT, then install glutmaster: http://www.stetten.com/george/glutmaster/glutmaster.html

glutMaster is an excellent C++ wrapper to allow you to program in C++ instead of C. Using the demoWindow class located on the glutmaster page, it is ready to compile & run. It is then very simple to modify this demoWindow class to do more complex things, and eventually write your own class.

I was new to opengl/glut and graphics programming and it took me no longer than a few hours with it to see something fairly impressive.

There are also tons of tutorials on the web (doing a basic google search provided tons of results) that can help you along the way.

Only one method needs to be touched and that's the "CallBackDisplayFunc()". There is a lot of other things happening in that class, but paying attention to this one method helps you focus on what you actually want to do.

I saw that you mentioned wanting to stay away from opengl but it's not as scary as it may seem at first.